Skip to main content

tv   New Day With Alisyn Camerota and John Berman  CNN  September 3, 2018 5:00am-6:00am PDT

5:00 am
important speech that the vice president gave. >> we never doubted the other man's sincerity. when all was said and done, we were on the same team. >> john mccain is an extraordinary individual. he is irreplaceable to the united states senate. >> there's really no good news for the president in this poll. >> over the next two months, republicans had to point out the success. >> when you run with an outlier poll, you're warming up for the same kind of disappointment that you got on november 8, 2016. >> people want to see mueller and his investigation play out. >> the conservative movement is not dead. it is on life support. good morning, everyone. welcome to a special holiday edition of "new day." it is labor day of course, monday, september 3rd, 8:00 in the east. john berman is off enjoying his holid holiday. >> it's a good time.
5:01 am
>> there were five days of national mourning and it ended with a final salute to senator john mccain. the war hero was laid to rest sunday next to his best friend at the u.s. naval academy in annapolis, maryland. the mccain family released this photo of cindy mccain weeping over her husband's casket. on saturday, former presidents, family, friends and political leaders honored mccain's lifetime of service at the national cathedral. >> mccain's daughter meghan remembering her father as a hero in a touching eulogy while taking a swipe at president trump. >> we gather here to mourn the passing of american greatness, the real thing, not cheap rhetoric from men who will never come near the sacrifice he gave so willingly, nor the opportunistic appropriation of those who live lives of comfort and privilege while he suffered and served. >> there's been a lot of talk about bipartisanship and the
5:02 am
lack of civility in politics today, but what, if anything, will change in washington? the political bickering will be put to the test when confirmation hearings for supreme court nominee brett kavanaugh begin tomorrow. and as the country turns its attention to mid-term elections less than 70 days in november, let's bring in our white house reporter for "the washington post" and our cnn global affairs analyst and staff writer for "the new yorker." >> ladies, great to have you here. thank you for being with us. happy labor day to you. susan, i want to start with you and the headline and gist of your piece which is that what we saw on saturday with all the former presidents and all of the people lauding john mccain was the biggest resistance meeting to date. what does that mean? >> well, look, certainly john mccain had a year to orchestrate this funeral service in the cathedral, and he seemed determined to from the grave push every button.
5:03 am
he asked the two presidents he had run against, george w. bush and barack obama, to ahear hep his funeral service. he meant to show a united front in effect against trumpism and the idea that there were core american values shared by leaders in both parties, regardless of their policy differences. i think it was a majestic display of that. was the room filled with hypocrites, sinners more than saints, of course it was. it's been fascinating to see the reaction over the last couple days. i spoke with jeff flake who, like mccain, was one of the few remaining public republican critics of president trump on capitol hill, and just his mere speaking out these days makes people on both sides crazy. he said to me, i think the fever will break, it must somehow. it didn't sound super convincing, and it's amazing to see democrats on the one hand are furious with him for not doing more and of course fellow
5:04 am
republicans have not joined him in speaking out against the president. so right now does the funeral change anything, no, of course it doesn't change anything in some lightning strike, but i think it did effectively show what john mccain wanted it to show which is that there's another way of doing politics in america. >> but a core bit of optimism you heard somewhere in that flake comment that the fever will break with perhaps this maverick memorial being a catalyst, i want to play a clip of president obama's remarks because they really did touch on that with a sense of perspective. >> so much of our politics, our public life, our public discourse can seem small and mean and petty. trafficking in bombast and insult and phony controversies and manufactured outrage.
5:05 am
it's a politics that pretends to be brave and tough but in fact is bourn of fear. john called on us to be bigger than that. >> you know, that is such a line that is really resonating with people but as we go into the brett kavanaugh hearings, it's likely that that aspiration of bipartisanship is going to fall away to those politics that are mean and petty and bitter and small. tell me where i'm wrong. >> i don't think you're wrong in this sense and neither is susan in the fact that there will be no lightning strike. the politics and the bitter partisan politics that we've seen over the last however long is not going to change just because of mccain's funeral. you're going to see that contention throughout the mid-term and with the president's rhetoric, with the kavanaugh hearings this week, but also it's really interesting
5:06 am
just how -- just how -- because if you look at these words on their own with what was said during the -- what was said during the funeral, it's essentially if you just look at the words themselves it's a basic restatement of american values, but as with anything, you can't look at these words in a vacuum and contrast it with the president's new brand of politics that he has brought in under his campaign and under his presidency, then the fact that those words were seen as a rebuke, basic restatement of values was seen as a rebuke to the president was pretty remarkable and something we should remember. >> let's listen for a moment also to former president george w. bush eulogizing john mccain. >> those in political power were not exempt. at various points throughout his long career john confronted policies and practices that he believed were unworthy of his country. to the face of those in
5:07 am
authority, john mccain would insist we are better than this. america is better than this. >> susan, it was so interesting to me as i listened to that, whether you are a fan of president trump or a critic of president trump, it is impossible to imagine him eulogizing john mccain. so john mccain didn't want him there but it is impossible to imagine him saying poignant words about john mccain who he basically made it his platform that he didn't like and that he was against. >> well, that's right, and he continued, by the way, to criticize mccain in the most personal terms even just days before his death. i think -- i was in the room at the cathedral for this service and it was a very, very powerful restatement of a core way of doing politics. what does it say about america that civility is now controversial? i mean, really, that's the thing
5:08 am
that i keep coming back to is what is wrong with people. you should see, even just writing -- you guys know it well but just writing an article restating, quoting those quotes from barack obama and george w. bush, i made a tweet from the ka three dral and said isn't it something, a reminder of the past in american politics to see hillary clinton and dick cheney sitting next to each other. my goodness, the internet exploded. >> don't read that stuff. >> they don't even want people to sit next to each other. >> don't read twitter. don't read it. just say no. just say no. >> but given this consensus that everyone in the room at the cathedral understands, any student of american history understands where civility does seem idealistic, how do we help it find some spine in congress where it counts?
5:09 am
>> croongressbroader statement of the will of the voters. i think once member of congress hear from their constituent change, that might break the fever. i think one major test we'll see is the mid-term elections. how much of november's results will be a rebuke of the president and his brand of politics and will that mark a turning point for members of congress. that's yet to be seen but that would be one of the first major tests. and this is well before trump's presidency but members of congress tell me that they rarely hear from their constituents begging them to compromise. democrats are hearing from their base to go as progressive as they can. republicans hear from their voters to stand their ground and to be as conservative -- firm in their conservative values as they can. so it really does reflect what
5:10 am
their constituents tell them and i think that's something that voters should think about in the coming weeks, in the coming months. >> that's a really important point and i think you're right. that is the old style versus substance. stylistly people might want people to be more civil and attempt compromise but substanlsubstan tifly people are dug in on their positions of what they want to see. >> we've got a moderate majority of folks who aren't as agitated as the extremes so they're not taking to the streets and yelling be reasonable. >> let's look at the latest abc news poll that shows a high disapproval rating for president trump. 60%, his approval rating at the moment is only 36%. this is obviously just one poll, but the fact that this has spiked over the course of just since last month, why is that? what do we think is causing the high negatives right now for president trump?
5:11 am
>> well look, first of all, you have a sense of a certain legal walls closing in on the president. you have that remarkable hour just a couple weeks ago when paul manafort was convicted and the president's own personal lawyer and fixer entered into federal court and entered his plea agreement, agreeing to testify against president trump. we still don't know the extent of the damage that that could cause to the president. the mueller investigation continues to build toward whatever outcome is unclear. so you have on the one hand a sense that the president has the first campaign manager since nixon's has been convicted of a crime. on the one hand you have that. you have a sense that trump has sort of broken the bounds that constrained him through much of the first year of his presidency and is really operating in a way that is outside the lines of
5:12 am
american politics. again, that's what i come back to with this funeral and this moment of contrasting, as you said, the style of his politics, the character, and also the nature of many of his attacks on institutions of american democracy. for example, his repeated attacks on the independent press, just one example of the ways in which president trump is outside the lines of his own party as well as that of the other party. so that's where i think we do have something different. sung min is absolutely right, this is a polarized moment in american politics and both parties are pulling to the extreme idealogically but that doesn't mean that the republican politicians who sat in that ka three dral and basically bowed down to trump, doesn't mean they share his fundamental attacks on the incorporation tugsz stituti
5:13 am
and that's where things can get interesting. >> i want to bring you back to that poll for a second because it's really stark. you're talking about historic levels of popularity. 36% approval, 60% disapproval. normally people in congress take note of polls. so that is a sign of weakness on the president, not strength. we get he's popular among republicans but charlie dent was on the air an hour ago saying the republicans in swing districts need to separate from the president to survive the coming mid-terms. so at what point will you see the realities of his unpopular presidency begin to embolden people in congress to act like a co-equal branch of government? >> what's interesting about the poll, you just mentioned that he does enjoy massive support among republican voters but our poll also indicated that his support among republican voters is actually dropping and that's actually a really significant development because republicans in congress have clung to the president through so many of the
5:14 am
controversies because they know it makes their constituents back home very happy in that there is deep support among the president. so if you see that trend continue, if you do see his numbers drop even with republican voters, i think you're going to see members of congress really distance themselves and not just those republicans in the swing districts but republicans at large. they know the president's popularity will speak volumes about how they act in congress and how they act in the campaign trail. but the difficulties with whether you cling to the president or distance yourself is also a reflection of the two separate congressional maps that we see. obviously in the house you do have so many swing districts as congressman dent pointed out earlier on your show where they do have to separate themselves from the president and his actions but look at the senate map. this is being largely fought on conservative territory. you have ten senate democrats who are up in states where president trump won in 2016. that is largely favorable to republicans and that's why you
5:15 am
see democrats trying to work -- trying to bend over backwards to show that they are working with president trump, that they don't necessarily rebuke his policies or his brand of politics. and you have republicans embracing that. >> that is a great segue way to our next segment. thank you both very much. mid-term elections now just two months away. cnn is seeing a shift in the battle for control of the house. we'll break it down next. about your business. with dell small business technology advisors, you get the one-on-one partnership to grow your business. the dell vostro 14 laptop. get up to 40% off on select pcs. call 877-buy-dell today. ( ♪ ) over the last 24 hours, you finished preparing him for college. in 24 hours, you'll send him off thinking you've done everything for his well being. but meningitis b progresses quickly and can be fatal, sometimes within 24 hours. while meningitis b is uncommon, about 1 in 10 infected will die. like millions of others, your teen may not be vaccinated
5:16 am
against meningitis b. meningitis b strikes quickly. be quick to talk to your teen's doctor about a meningitis b vaccine. you shouldn't be rushed into booking a hotel. with expedia's add-on advantage, booking a flight unlocks discounts on select hotels until the day you leave for your trip. add-on advantage. only when you book with expedia.
5:17 am
5:18 am
bundle and save big, but now it's time to find my dream abode. -right away, i could tell his priorities were a little unorthodox. -keep going. stop. a little bit down. stop. back up again. is this adequate sunlight for a komodo dragon? -yeah. -sure, i want that discount on car insurance just for owning a home, but i'm not compromising. -you're taking a shower? -water pressure's crucial, scott! it's like they say -- location, location, koi pond. -they don't say that.
5:19 am
we're just a little over two months away from the november mid-term elections and cnn has a new map showing democrats making gains towards taking control of the house. 11 seats currently held by republicans are now in the leaning democrat or better columns. democrats need 23 seats to take back control of the house and 11 puts them nearly halfway. three seats are moving toward the gop. here to break it all down, cnn politics senior writer analyst and our numbers guru, barry anton. don't you need a hat for guru status. >> i actually shaved last night. my mom doesn't like when i have a beard on television. >> if you have a really long one and a really big hat with stars on it, that would be a wizard. >> harry potter, wizard works out well there. >> look into your crystal ball and tell us what you see.
5:20 am
>> look, compared to the beginning of the year what we've seen consistently throughout the year is that individual seats are moving towards the democratic column and that's a sign of the national environment that is very friendly towards democrats. the president's approval rating is 40% or low. the generic congressional ballot has consistently shown a democratic edge in the high single digits. when you put that together it's no wonder that we're seeing individual seats shift towards the democratic column. >> let's talk about some of those individual seats. you want us to focus on pennsylvania. why is that? >> it's a seat actually -- we have it on the screen right now -- where brian fitzpatrick is running for re-election. we shifted that seat towards the lean republican column. the reason i'm fascinated there, fitzpatrick has a huge money edge, is moderate. his democratic opponent is not a great fit in that district. if democrats can win there on election night, to me that would be the sign of the ultimate wave, right, because i think we're not just looking to make it to 23, can they get to 35, 45. if the president's approval
5:21 am
rating is down in the mid 30s, that's a seat that i'm watching because it's a clear indication that democrats are having a very good night. >> also the democrat is the grandson of fdr's vice president. >> henry wallace who of course was very liberal just like his grandson is. >> fascinating. how about kentucky? >> kentucky six is a great seat for me because this is a seat that is democratic if you look at state-wide elections. you see that democrats do very well in state-wide elections. on the president level as you see, they voted for donald trump by double digits. amy mcgrath is running a very campaign against andy barr. polling actually indicates that she's ahead. this is going to be an early poll closing, 6:00 in the east, so if we're looking for a seat early on election night to tell us where exactly the map is heading, this is the seat. >> women are doing incredibly well in democratic primaries and military veterans and you have both in amy mcgath.
5:22 am
>> exactly. if i was looking for a seat that encapsulates a lot of different trends this year, this is a seat i'd be looking at. >> i'm laughing because only you two know the entire family tree three generations down of various presidents. >> this is political nerd-dom. >> what do you think i'm doing on a holiday weekend. do you think i'm going to the beach? look at this pale skin. makeup is doing a good job. i'm not seeing a lot of sun because my head is in the computer. >> i'm seeing the nerd passion happening right here. harry, are you at all gun shy about making -- crunching these numbers and making predictions when you know that the viewers and americans are skeptical given 2016 of all pollsters and pundits given how wrong most people got it for 2016? >> sure. obviously we talk about all of this stuff with a margin of error and that's what i think is so key. if i were to come out with a
5:23 am
graphic that was saying where i expect democratic gains to go, there would be a wide margin of error around that. it might be, okay, i expect democrats to gain 32 seats, but it's plus or minus 20 or 25. >> that's a lot. >> it's a very wide range but we're still two months away from the election and we have a most likely scenario but that's not definitely the scenario that will happen. if you look back at the 2016 campaign, we had hillary clinton at like a 71% chance of winning, but 71% chance of winning is not 100% chance. if you were to flip a coin twice in the air, the chance that it would land on heads twice is 25% which was actually less than the chance that we gave donald trump of winning of about 29%. >> i see what you're doing here, how you're trying to convince us. >> statistics. >> you're using your fancy statistics. >> i'm trying my best. i'm drawing out the formulas. maybe we'll bring a black board out and i can write on the magic wall and put something in some
5:24 am
computer and maybe then. yes, we need to be cautious and we need to say republicans still have a real shot at maintaining control but i'd be lying to you if i said it was a true tossup. it's in between a tossup and solidly democratic. it's leaning democratic. >> instead of drilling down with skepticism, i want to ask, the moderates are the ones who tend to get killed off but they're the ones who are most positioned to continue those politics that people are mourning with the loss of mccain. what democrats seem to be well positioned where the wave election would suggest they're doa? >> carlos ka bello in florida in the 26th district is a fascinating district, cuban-american district. donald trump there. the democrats came out with a poll that had him ahead by seven points. usually democrats only put out polls when they show their candidates ahead, so that to me is a fascinating district where a moderate may win.
5:25 am
another one which is not on our list that i submitted beforehand was in new york's 24th district, john catco. a poll from cnn had him up double digits and that's a poll where donald trump lost. if you're looking for two moderates going into the 2018 elections, those are the ones i'd be looking at. >> harry, you do the math so we don't have to. thank you very much. >> we've got 70 more days of fun to go, just under. >> i can't wait to watch more of this. harry -- >> i'll bring the nerd-dom. you bring the listening ears. >> thank you. done and done. we need to get to breaking news because a tropical storm has just formed. stay tuned for that forecast. an incomplete job 't t from any one else. why accept it from your allergy pills? flonase sensimist relieves all your worst symptoms, including nasal congestion, which most pills don't. and all from a gentle mist you can barely feel. flonase sensimist.
5:26 am
all the tools you need for every step of the way. make it, squarespace but there's one... that blows them all out of the water. hydro boost water gel from neutrogena®. with hyaluronic acid it goes beneath the surface to plump skin cells from within and lock in hydration leaving skin so supple, it actually bounces back. the results will blow you away! hydro boost and our gentle exfoliating cleanser from neutrogena®
5:27 am
whenshe was pregnant,ter failed, in-laws were coming, a little bit of water, it really- it rocked our world. i had no idea the amount of damage that water could do. we called usaa. and they greeted me as they always do. sergeant baker, how are you? they were on it. it was unbelievable. having insurance is something everyone needs, but having usaa- now that's a privilege. we're the baker's and we're usaa members for life. usaa. get your insurance quote today.
5:28 am
to take care of yourself. but nature's bounty has innovative ways to help you maintain balance and help keep you active and well-rested. because hey, tomorrow's coming up fast. nature's bounty. because you're better off healthy.
5:29 am
breaking news, the national hurricane center says that tropical storm gordon has formed near the florida keys. cnn meteorologist chaz meyers joins us with the latest. >> yeah john, that escalated quickly, didn't it? this morning we were 30, then 35 and now 45. it's easy to see why.
5:30 am
i'm going to zoom you in to the center of this storm right now. it is wrapping around north and west of north key largo over everglades national park. i even saw on the doppler a wind gust to 65 miles per hour about 20 minutes ago. now, the forecast is still to move right toward new orleans, maybe st. louis, but so far this model and the model output has not done very well on the speed and intensity on the storm. great on the direction, but this could be a hurricane before it makes landfall. right now the forecast is 60 and the wind speeds could be plus or minus 20%. let's hope for minus 20% but that may not be likely. this is very warm water. this storm is out there all by itself and it's headed toward the northwest at about 16 miles per hour moving over that warm water. this makes landfall in 40 hours so not a lot of time to get bigger, not probably a big, intense hurricane but certainly the potential is there for
5:31 am
something stronger than 60. we'll keep you updated. >> please do. our viewers are watching intently. thank you, chad. meanwhile, president trump again threatening to exclude canada from a new free trade agreement. the president tweeting in part, there is no political necessity to keep canada in a new nafta deal. if we don't make a fair deal for the u.s. after decades of abuse, canada will be out. the u.s. imposed deadline came and went friday with no- new deal. joining us is cnn global affairs analyst. how did canada become the trade enemy of the u.s.? >> that's a great question, alisyn. i keep asking myself what does donald trump have against canada? he talks as if canada were our great enemy and russia were our ally. this is a bizarre world where part of it, i suspect, relates to he does not like justin trudeau who is younger, handsomer, more beloved by the
5:32 am
liberal elites than donald trump. whatever is going on there, he clearly has a beef against canada which ignores the fact that canada is our top trade partner, our top market for exports. by the way, he never mentions this, we have a trade surplus with canada. he's aggrieved at all these other countries. well, we have a trade surplus with canada. >> to your point, there's a quote from the former u.s. ambassador to canada, he said, t the definition of insanity is how president trump is treating canada. this is our best trading partner in the world. >> and also one of our closest allies in the world. you would never know from the way that donald trump talks that american and canadian troops would be battling side by side for a century. they are close cooperators in counter-terrorism and intelligence and they fought with us in afghanistan. he never has any appreciation
5:33 am
for the fact that these are our brothers and sisters and allies. he treats them as an enemy. it doesn't make any sense. >> then given that that one makes no sense, explain the ever-changing relationship with mexico. friend or foe? >> trump is confused and i think i'm confused because obviously most of the time he stigmatizes mexican-america mexican-americans. he calls them out as being the source of all crime and evil in the united states which is flatly false. he promised to build a wall that mexico would say for which mexico is never going to pay for. now all of a sudden very briefly he loves mexico again because mexico kind of colluded with him in reaching this nondeal on trade and claims that that will be a u.s.-mexico agreement and thereby he can negate nafta. but it's a ratified treaty. he can't just tear it up.
5:34 am
and he doesn't really have a deal with mexico. he loves to announce these great agreements where none of the details have actually been worked out. so he doesn't really have a deal with mexico but he's using them to beat up canada and try to extract concessions from canada saying mexico agreed, why don't you canadians get on board before the train picks up speed. >> i'd say strange bedfellows but one thing creating urgency on the part of president trump is mexico has a new president coming in and he's afraid that if he can't get the deal done, pena nieto, that he's going to have to renegotiate the whole deal. trump and he have had some oddly luke warm words. do you think the president can force this through and how does he think he can bypass congress? >> there are so many questions here, john, and so few answers.
5:35 am
it's really hard to know what trump is thinking. he seems to rule best or most effectively by executive fiat. so he discovers these executive powers, like he loves pardoning people. he loves tearing up executive agreements like the u.s.-iran nuclear deal. he could tear that up because that was not ratified. but this is a congressionally ratified treaty and one issue on which republicans are pushing back against trump because nafta is pretty popular with the republican base because all these states across the -- >> some of the states. >> a lot of these farm states especially, canada is a top market. all these republican senators are not eager to see him tear up nafta, so i think it would be very hard for him to do that and i would discount a lot of the hot air we've heard recently about we've reached a deal with mexico and canada has to come along. i think the negotiations are still going on and as you suggest, the negotiating environment may change once you have this more leftist president
5:36 am
who takes office in mexico city. >> let's move on to afghanistan, america's longest running war. a new commander is about to step in and there seems to be a lot of talk on the u.s. side that it's time to stop the fighting, time to stop all of this. and the taliban is receptive and possibly open to this. so what's the next move? >> i don't see a lot of evidence, unfortunately, alisyn, that the taliban are actually interested in peace negotiations. who is talking about peace negotiations? we are. >> our commanders are saying they believe that there are many in the taliban who are open to it. >> they've been saying that for about 17 years, alisyn. i've been going to afghanistan, covering the war pretty closely for a long time. this is all stuff we've heard before. there's very little evidence to back it up. their big evidence right now is that the taliban agreed to a three-day truce in june but that was quickly ended and the taliban stepped up their attacks killing hundreds of afghan security forces all across the country. so listen to what's being said here. the taliban are not asking for
5:37 am
peace. the u.s. keeps talking about peace and what's happening on the ground is that the taliban are actually making gains. they are not losing. typically you can have successful peace negotiations in an internal conflict like this one when the insurgents have been defeated. that's what happened in colombia, for example, where after about 50 years the fark were actually defeated. the taliban have not been defeated and it's in fact our will that's breaking, not theirs. >> absolutely stunning. >> thank you very much. >> thanks, max. coming up, mysterious brain injuries suffered by american diplomats in cuba. scien scientists have a new theory about what may have caused them harm, next. i landed.
5:38 am
i saw my leg did not look right. i was just finishing a ride. i felt this awful pain in my chest. i had a pe blood clot in my lung. i was scared. i had a dvt blood clot. having one really puts you in danger of having another. my doctor and i chose xarelto®. xarelto®. to help keep me protected. xarelto® is a latest-generation blood thinner that's... proven to treat and reduce the risk of dvt or pe blood clots from happening again. in clinical studies, almost 98% of patients on xarelto® did not experience another dvt or pe. xarelto® works differently. warfarin interferes with at least 6 of your body's natural blood-clotting factors. xarelto® is selective, targeting just one critical factor. don't stop taking xarelto® without talking to your doctor, as this may increase risk of blood clots. while taking, you may bruise more easily, or take longer for bleeding to stop. xarelto® can cause serious, and in rare cases, fatal bleeding.
5:39 am
it may increase your risk of bleeding if you take certain medicines. get help right away for unexpected bleeding or unusual bruising. do not take xarelto® if you have an artificial heart valve or abnormal bleeding. before starting, tell your doctor about all planned medical or dental procedures and any kidney or liver problems. learn all you can... to help protect yourself from another dvt or pe. talk to your doctor about xarelto®. at priceline, to save you money.ways like mixing and matching airlines to get lower prices on flights. oh, that's how i saved on my trip! oh, for your wedding?! no, my ex-boyfriend's wedding, he's confused. jason! mix and match airlines to save more.
5:40 am
itreat them all as if, they are hot and energized. stay away from any downed wire, call 911 and call pg&e right after so we can both respond out and keep the public safe.
5:41 am
one call 811 before you dig.ings you can do is to make sure you calling 811 can get your lines marked. it's free, it's easy, we come out and mark your lines. we provide you the information so you will dig safely. rash of bizarre sonic attacks impacted nearly two dozen american diplomats in cuba, a senior u.s. official now says a microwave weapon may have targeted u.s. diplomats. we're live in havana with more. >> reporter: good morning. you remember initially when the
5:42 am
story first broke many people felt that sonic weapons had been used against the diplomats because they described strange sounds and a beam of energy hitting them. as the investigation has continued, researchers who have been involved in trying to figure out what happened here say that they now are looking at microwave weapons. these are weapons that shoot a very strong beam of electro magnetic energy and they're much more portable, so they feel it's more likely they could have been used in the impact. it's just a theory though. there's been no evidence to show that these weapons or any weapons were actually used. the researchers say when they look at the brain scans of these diplomats both here and ones who were affected apparently in china, they can see that they experienced a concussion but they never actually experienced any physical trauma so it really is a medical mystery. it's had a huge effect on operations here, diplomatic operations in cuba. a lot of diplomats have been recalled and the state department says it's still not safe to send them or their families back. the cuban government says they
5:43 am
found no evidence that any attacks took place. >> so mysterious, patrick. thank you very much for the update from there. well, priceless artifacts dating back centuries have been destroyed in an inferno in brazil. the fire consuming a 200-year-old museum in rio de janeiro, including mum fewed skeletons and the largest meet yor item ever found in brazil. no word of what caused this fire. the family vacation ending in tragedy in northern wisconsin after a kayak capsized on lake superior killing a father and three young children. the accident left a mother, carrie mews, as the lone survivor. strong wind and waves tipped the craft over thursday knocking all five into the open water. all five of them were wearing life jackets. mews was able to send her sister
5:44 am
a 911 text but the message did not arrive for five hours due to lack of cell service in the area. >> oh, my gosh, that is horrible. well, angryatholic parishioners targeting a cardinal as he spoke on sunday. you will hear from one of them next. ♪ a hotel can make or break a trip. and at expedia, we don't think you should be rushed into booking one. that's why we created expedia's add-on advantage. now after booking your flight, you unlock discounts on select hotels right until the day you leave. ♪ add-on advantage. discounted hotel rates when you add on to your trip. only when you book with expedia.
5:45 am
little things can be a big deal. that's why there's otezla. otezla is not a cream. it's a pill that treats moderate to severe plaque psoriasis differently. with otezla, 75% clearer skin
5:46 am
is achievable. don't use if you're allergic to otezla . it may cause severe diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting. otezla is associated with... ...an increased risk of depression. tell your doctor if you have  a history of depression or suicidal thoughts,... ...or if these feelings develop. some people taking otezla reported weight loss. your doctor should monitor your weight and may stop treatment. upper respiratory tract infection and headache may occur. tell your doctor about your medicines and if you're pregnant or planning to be. otezla. show more of you.
5:47 am
at booking.com, we can't guarantee you'll good at that water jet thingy... but we can guarantee the best price on this hotel. or any accommodation, from homes to yurts. booking.com booking.yeah over the last 24 hours, you finished preparing him for college. in 24 hours, you'll send him off thinking you've done everything for his well being. but meningitis b progresses quickly and can be fatal, sometimes within 24 hours.
5:48 am
while meningitis b is uncommon, about 1 in 10 infected will die. like millions of others, your teen may not be vaccinated against meningitis b. meningitis b strikes quickly. be quick to talk to your teen's doctor about a meningitis b vaccine. protested at a mass on sunday as embattled cardinal donald wuerl, the archbishop, spoke from the pulpit. here's one moment from sunday's services. >> we need to hold close in our prayers and our loyalty our holy father, pope francis. increasingly it's clear that he is the object of considerable animosity -- >> shame on you! >> at each mass we pray for him by name.
5:49 am
>> at that same time, there was this silent protest. mary chalnor stood with her arms cross and her back turned to the cardinal as he spoke, and she joins us now. mary, good morning. >> good morning. >> so, as i understand it, you didn't go to church on sunday intending to protest, so what happened while you were there? >> um, i didn't know the cardinal would be installing our new pastor, and when he began the mass he said he would be speaking about the crises in the church at the end of the mass. so the mass proceeded as normal and then at the end he went over to the lectern to speak about the crises and that's when i decided that i would protest silently by turning my back. i have come from a family where we have protested things in the
5:50 am
church for a long time. when i was a little girl i walked out of the shrine with my father, holding his hand to protest the birth control encyclical. i feel as a catholic i have a right to make a respectful protest and that's what i did. >> yeah, it's fascinating to hear and read about your family history because you're a devout catholic, from a devout catholic family, but you also feel that it is your right to protest policy. and so what message were you trying to send by turning around silently to the cardinal? >> i was trying to send a message that i -- just speaking for myself, i do not approve of the way the church has handled this scandal for the last 16 years. i think that the church could use some more transparency in the way they have dealt with this and in the light of the
5:51 am
findings in the pennsylvania grand jury report it seemed more than ever important to say we want to hear about the facts from the church and not from a grand jury. >> do you want cardinal wuerl to resign? >> i want to begin by saying that the accusations in the grand jury report may well not be true. he may be absolved of all those charges. however, i still think that he should resign. i think he should step aside, i think is a better way to say it, as a sign of support for a radical change in the way the church deals with this problem. i think the church needs to turn over the adjudication of this to lay men and women. and i think if the cardinal sacrifices his position of privilege and does so unjustly
5:52 am
because he was found to be completely absolved of the charges, then i think that is a question of injustice. but there is a lot of injustice in this situation. you can ask the victims about that. >> yeah. and we have. we have heard from them and their heartbreaking stories. what do you want to see from pope francis? >> i want to see from pope francis action. i completely endorse his wanting to be sorry for what happened and for asking for forgiveness, but i am not seeing him walk the walk. i am not seeing actions. it's actions that i am wanting from both pope francis and from the hierarchy here in the united states. >> and last, what did you think of that man who had the more vocal outburst of protest during sunday's mass where he said something to the effect of shame on you? is that effective?
5:53 am
>> you know, i think everyone needs to protest in the way they feel morally okay, you know. i think he has every right to do that. he has every right to walk out of the church. i personally did not choose that form of protest. and i heard him say that. obviously i was there. but my feeling is that standing with my faith community, staying in the church and making a statement about my being part of this church and protesting what is being done, for me is more important. >> i would say that the image of you that we've all seen is also quite effective. mary, thank you very much for sharing your position with us. >> you're welcome. >> powerful stuff. and the good stuff is next. first, ruth bader ginsburg featured in a new film tonight
5:54 am
on cnn. here's a preview. >> i'm proud to announce the 100th justice to the united states supreme court. >> we may be in trying times, but think how it was in those days. the judges didn't think sex discrimination existed. >> ruth knew what she was doing in laying the foundation. >> to put women on the same plane as men. >> the goal was equality and civil rights. >> ruth bader ginsburg quite literally changed the way the world is for american women. >> what has become of me could happen only in america. >> she's become such a rockstar. >> she is really the closest thing to a superhero i know. >> she is known to fans, the world over, as the notorious rbg. >> all i ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks. rinkle cream in no hurry to make anything happen.
5:55 am
neutrogena® rapid wrinkle repair works in just one week. with the fastest retinol formula to visibly reduce wrinkles. neutrogena®. there's nothing small about your business. with dell small business technology advisors, you get the one-on-one partnership to grow your business. the dell vostro 14 laptop. get up to 40% off on select pcs. call 877-buy-dell today. ( ♪ ) call 877-buy-dell today. whenshe was pregnant,ter failed, in-laws were coming, a little bit of water, it really- it rocked our world. i had no idea the amount of damage that water could do. we called usaa. and they greeted me as they always do. sergeant baker, how are you? they were on it. it was unbelievable.
5:56 am
having insurance is something everyone needs, but having usaa- now that's a privilege. we're the baker's and we're usaa members for life. usaa. get your insurance quote today. thethe more you know theme, commute is worth it. for all the work you pour into this place, you sure get a lot more out of it. you and that john deere tractor... so versatile, you can keep dreaming up projects all the way home. it's a longer drive. but just like a john deere, it's worth it. nothing runs like a deere. now you can own a 1e sub-compact tractor for just 99 dollars a month. learn more at your john deere dealer. to take care of yourself. but nature's bounty has innovative ways to help you maintain balance and help keep you active and well-rested. because hey, tomorrow's coming up fast. nature's bounty. because you're better off healthy.
5:57 am
5:58 am
happen only in america. time for the good stuff. people in north texas coming together to help a teenager who's legally blind. shia busby was told she would never see clearly again when she was diagnosed with a rare disease that caused part of her retina to deteriorate. a fundraiser was set up to help
5:59 am
her get special $10,000 glasses that help her see. >> every donation that came in, i'm telling you, i've had tears going like crazy because this is the good stuff. >> i knew it! >> way to brand it perfectly for us. we agree. look at this. >> incredible. i mean, those are $10,000 glasses. her dream came true, she got the glasses and now she's able to see clearly for the first time in two years. >> oh, my gosh. >> it hasn't fully sunk in yet because it's just kind of a miracle. >> oh, my gosh, it is a meesh c -- miracle. heart warming on this labor day. thank you for sharing part of your day with us and, john, thank you for celebrating with us by working. >> it's a joy to celebrate it
6:00 am
with you and sculminate this weekend of memorializing and appreciating john mccain being buried yesterday. it's a reset maybe for politics and certainly for your country. >> i like your ideaism about this. you were at his funeral so you felt it i think more acutely than some of us who just watched it on tv but obviously we've been hopeful in the past that there would be a reset. let's hope that's true. >> keep hope alive. >> time for k"cnn newsroom". thanks guys, i'm ryan noebels in today for poppy harlow. summer may be behind us but politically it's getting hotter. president trump is amping up his schedule where he continues to predict at least in public a red wave, republicans adding to their congressional majorities. most every poll and analyst predicts the democrats will retake the house if not the senate.
6:01 am
speaking of the senate, tomorrow begins

17 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on