Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom With Brooke Baldwin  CNN  January 9, 2019 11:00am-12:00pm PST

11:00 am
you're watching cnn. i'm brooke baldwin. thanks for being with me. major developments today on two massive stories dogging the president, the government shutdown and the russia investigation. i can tell you that the president is about to leave capitol hill where he has been meeting with those senate republicans to make this 3:00 p.m. meeting with congressional leaders, including democrats in the white house situation room. both trips really represent his latest attempts to get the government back up and running. it is day 19 of this shutdown and over that period, the mixed messages from the president might help explain why we are still here today.
11:01 am
>> we really have to think about the people of our country. this is not a fight i wanted. i didn't want this fight. we have to think about the people of our country. i am proud to shut down the government for border security. >> as the president tries to cut a new funding deal with democrats, he is facing this new bombshell from his campaign that puts his familiar twitter mantra, no russian collusion, to the test. new court documents filed by paul manafort's legal team accidentally revealed that he allegedly gave sensitive information to a russian operative with ties to the kremlin while he was trump's campaign chairman. the most significant sign yet of possible coordination, aka collusion between the trump campaign and russia. we'll dive on in to that in just a hot minute. to the exit plan of the trump official who oversees the russian investigation, we're talking about deputy attorney general rod rosenstein, a source says rosenstein plans to leave the justice department shortly
11:02 am
after trump's new attorney general pick is confirmed, william barr, seen here today will begin his confirmation hearings next tuesday. so it's possible that rod rosenstein could leave as early as next month. now just to be crystal clear here, the source said that rod rosenstein is not being forced out. his exit just might be the clearest signal yet that special counsel robert mueller is close to wrapping up his nearly two-year long investigation, so we begin with chris eliza and let's just talk to me about what rod rosenstein has been so essential, so critical to this whole investigation. >> he's been in the center of at least one big piece of it. so let's run through it here. first of all, not on here but worth noting, rod rosenstein appointed by donald trump to his current job. he is a trump appointee, but then he is the guy after trump fires jim comey, he's the guy that appoints robert mueller special counsel so he is -- this is where it began, rod
11:03 am
rosenstein, repeatedly publicly, despite a lot of pressure from donald trump, repeatedly defends the credibility of both robert mueller and the investigation into russian interference more broadly and because he was there right from the start, brooke, there's nobody else who knows more other than robert mueller. he has come into some criticism by donald trump. you'll see this donald trump, retweeting this is a donald trump fan site, now that russian collusion say proven lie, when to the trials for treason begin, that's rod rosenstein, podesta, mueller, hillary, but that's rod rosenstein in that picture and that's a little bit more direct, this is from december from 2018, isn't rod totally conflicted? he signed the fisa warrant. it's stayed the course. here's what's interesting. you assumed, okay, you see the date on this, this is an
11:04 am
unbelievable piece that if you have people haven't read, go read it. rod rosenstein during conversations at the white house secretly suggested they record donald trump and floated the idea of the 25th amendment, basically a majority of his cabinet removing him from office. rosenstein said he was joking and this didn't really happen the way this was reported out. everyone assumed he would get fired by trump days after this. he wound up not. so who he is making way for? william barr. attorney generals always a hard one to get through particularly in the trump administration with this investigation ongoing. he's an old-school republican, served in past administrations and i do think when you have rosenstein saying, all's well here, i'm going to head out, this is not being forced out as most people expected in the fall, it does suggest a peaceful transition here that may suggest, if not the mueller probe is winding up, it is on
11:05 am
track and rosenstein who has defended it from the start feels good about where it is, not what it's going to find but where it is in sort of maintaining the fbi's broad and justice department's broad ability to be seen as fair and transparent. brooke? >> thank you very much. and just staying on your point with rosenstein's upcoming exit, it is even more urgent questions now on how william barr will handle this russia investigation, that is if he's confirmed as attorney general, because six months ago, as chris just pointed out, the trump's interactions with fired fbi director james comey did not constitute obstruction of justice. barr should not -- >> i asked mr. barr directly do you think bob -- mr. mueller's on a witch hunt, he said no.
11:06 am
do you think he would be fair to the president and the country as a whole? he said yes. he has a high opinion of mr. mueller, believes what mr. mueller is doing a professional job, will do a professional job and will be fair to the president and the country as a whole and has no reason for mr. mueller to stop doing his job and is committed to allowing mr. mueller to finish. >> let's dive in to all of this. john avlon is with me and paul callahan is here. so, guys in the red ties, both to see -- good to see both of you, the money question is that rod rosenstein is leaving, does that indicate he is really confident in barr or that he is thinking, all right, robert mueller, he's good to go? >> reading the mueller timeline tea leaves, it's been a really tough job for folks, probably not profitable to get in to it, however rosenstein has really stuck through hard times.
11:07 am
everyone thought he was going to get canned toward the end of last year. didn't. now that he's leaving, it does create a sense of urgency but as being surmised a sense that this is winding down. lindsey graham's comments are significant because barr who's widely respected by justice department officials because of his previous tenure under george bush 41 is giving all the indication that's despite his concerns about executive power in that memo, that mueller he has confidence in, thinks he's doing a good job, it's not a witch hunt and it's going to go forward. it's a very transition but rosenstein could get out when the report's done. >> what do you think about rosenstein's exit? >> i think there is a possibility, of course, that he thinks the final mueller report will be coming down very, very soon and maybe rosenstein will still be in office to approve or disapprove or determine how its
11:08 am
handled. that's one intriguing possibility. of course, we don't know for sure. the other i would agree with john. it's also possible he has confidence that william barr is a good, reasonable choice for attorney general and he's not going to interrupt the mueller investigation. i think one thing we have to remember is this, barr was very clear in a very meticulously well written memorandum that he does not believe that constitutionally you can prosecute the president for firing the head of the fbi. so if that's a theory of obstruction of justice against trump, you're not going to see that approved by the new attorney general if he is the new attorney general. >> stay with me because we have to talk more about paul manafort. hang tight. while robert mueller will still see a changing the guard, the legal team, the former trump campaign team paul manafort just accidentally revealed the clearest public piece of evidence yet of possible collusion between the trump campaign and russians during the 2016 election.
11:09 am
this is all revealed in an unredacted court filing. cnn crime and justice reporter shimon prokupecz is with me now and this was a big fat whoops from the manafort team. >> a very big whoops, a huge blunder by all accounts in terms of this just should not have happened. this was information certainly that mueller did not want out there. it's out there now but it gives us a lot of clues and there are some major revelations in these documents. let's look at what trump has said in terms of what paul manafort's involvement was in the campaign and this investigation. trump has tweeted that basically what this investigation had to do with nothing to do with when paul manafort was working for him on the campaign and this has to do with the years before he joined the campaign. however, we learned yesterday that paul manafort had a meeting with a person who the fbi and
11:10 am
the department of justice believes and have said is an intelligence official, a russian military intelligence official with deep ties to the russian government. so then what else did we learn? there were obvious other big clues in these documents but let's first look at what trump has said. quoting "fox news" saying not a whiff of collusion between trump and the russians and then he tweeted, quoting paul manafort's attorney saying essentially that there was no collusion, this is his attorney saying that there was no collusion while in the court documents we learned that paul manafort lied, one of the biggest revelations from yesterday's court documents is that paul manafort shared secret, internal polling data from the campaign during the 2016 presidential election, he shared with that russian, that intelligence official with deep ties to the russian government. what does that all mean? that is the big question. does this amount now to some kind of conspiracy?
11:11 am
it certainly shows at least in some ways that there was collusion, that perhaps there was a sharing of information between the trump campaign and the russians and the big question is, who else in the campaign knew about it? and did it go as high as the president, of course, the court documents do not indicate any of that, but that is certainly something on the mind of investigators as they have been pouring through this. this information just to keep in mind, brooke, was so secretive and sensitive that even members of congress did not know about this polling data that had been shared with this russian operative. it's a big deal and certainly i think we're going to hear a lot more about it down the line. >> it's a biggee, thank you very much. john and paul are still with me. paul, starting with you, on the sharing the 2016 campaign polling data with a russian, with ties to the government is that not the definition of collusion? >> just to get into the legal
11:12 am
weeds a little bit -- >> go there. >> that's the piece of evidence that makes a conspiracy that makes a collusion case by itself, it doesn't. if you put it together with this, that the polling information was given to the russians to enable them to use their hacked information that they're feeding into facebook and other social media things to move the electorate in certain critical states, now you have, if this is true, the trump political operatives working in collusion with the russians to move the election. now we don't know what the other pieces of this puzzle show, but certainly a lot of people would look at this and prosecutors and say, this could be the final piece of a collusion case against donald trump. >> also, not to be lost in any of this, but during the 2016 republican national convention, this is for you, manafort and other campaign officials change that had republican party platform to support a ukrainian peace plan in favor of russia.
11:13 am
>> yeah. this is one of the things that raised eyebrows early on. why would they be changing the republican platform? we know that obviously manafort had deep ties in ukraine and had worked on a pro-putin presidential campaign with this individual had been his ukrainian business partner. what is unknown is this new information that he's talking about the ukrainian peace plan allegedly, that he's handing over the information. i think paul hit the nail on the head of why it's so significant. it's not that its secret polling data, it's if it's giving to the russia, a, was manafort freelancing or was there broader knowledge of the campaign and what did they use it for. if it was used for voter targeting through all the disinformation efforts which the russians used in ukraine during that campaign and seemed to have done -- we know did in this election, whether or not with trump campaign knowledge is the big question, that's a crucial piece of information. we now know past hands from the campaign chairman to someone connected to russian intelligence services.
11:14 am
>> wow z-a. thank you very much. happening right now, president trump is predicting he's going to win this government shutdown as he meets right now with senate republicans on capitol hill. despite the president's claims of unwavering support, are cracks emerging within his own party over pressure to end this whole thing. this is happening as president trump is quoted saying that his primetime speech and his visit to the border tomorrow, quote, won't change a damn thing. we're back in a moment.
11:15 am
red lobster's new weekday five days.s here: five deals. for fifteen dollars get a different deal every weekday til six pm like endless shrimp monday admiral's feast tuesday four course feast wednesday and more. five days. five deals. fifteen dollars. see you before six. when your blanket's freshness fades before the binge-watching begins... that's when you know, it's half-washed. next time, add downy fabric conditioner for up to 7 days of downy freshness. downy and it's done. why go with anybody else? we know their rates are good, we know that they're always going to take care of us. it was an instant savings and i should have changed a long time ago. we're the tenney's and we're usaa members for life. call usaa to start saving on insurance today.
11:16 am
11:17 am
11:18 am
we're back. you're watching cnn. i'm brooke baldwin. right now as pressure mounts even more on day 19 of this government shutdown, president
11:19 am
trump has been having lunch with senate republicans on capitol hill moments before walking into the meeting with senators, the president said this -- >> we need border security. we will have border security. tremendous republican support and i think we're going to win, but we need -- listen. we need border security very simple. >> how long are you going to let the shutdown last? >> whatever it takes. >> he says this despite the fact that a number of cracks are beginning to form within his own party. republican senators collins, gardner and murkowski already publicly calling for an end to the shutdown. six others voicing serious concerns over how long the shutdown is dragging on, so to capitol hill we go and our congressional correspondent sunlen serfaty there. >> reporter: there certainly are concerns as you highlighted, the question to really answer that is how large this group grows?
11:20 am
does it contain itself as just a few senators and a handful of people over in the house or does it golarger with each day this shutdown continues and that in part is why president trump and vice president pence are up here and they remain here at this hour meeting with republicans on the senate side basically trying to make sure that they're keeping in line with their strategy, that they're not any more so-called defections on the republican side, really shining a light on where the end game is here. it was notable that we have started to hear republicans speak out but does that grow and snowball any larger, we will have to see in the days going forward. over in the house, we saw last week about seven republicans vote with the -- >> hang on. we got the president standing next to the majority leader. >> mitch was fantastic. there was no reason for me even to be there, i knew that before we went, but the republicans want border security and
11:21 am
national security. they want to have a steel barrier or a wall of concrete, they don't care, but i'll use any term they want. we need a barrier to stop the human traffickers and the drug trade and to stop all of the big problems that come including gangs. they don't come through your checkpoints. they come through areas where you have hundreds of miles without walls and without barriers or without strong fences, so the republican party i can say and i just left an hour meeting, we had a great time, actually. there was no discussion about anything other than solidarity. we want national security and border security for our country. >> mr. president, mr. president -- >> let me just add before the president leaves, first of all, thanks for coming out. i think we're all behind the president, number one. >> thank you very much. >> mr. president, mr.
11:22 am
president -- >> why isn't there a national emergency? >> i may do that at some point if chuck and nancy who i'm meeting with in a little while, if they don't agree to the fact that our country is really got problems with crime, with drugs, with a lot of other things that come through our southern border, so much of it comes through the southern border, you look at heroin, 90% through the southern border, so much, so many problems and if they can't get that through or if they feel that politically -- i don't know -- i don't care politically. i'm doing what's right for the country, but i'll tell you, it's a very bad political issue for the democrats. that i can tell you. >> mr. president -- >> did any republicans today in that meeting tell you that they want you to pursue a different strategy, that they want you to reopen the government? >> we talked about a couple different strategies. we talked about strategies but there with us all the way. >> mr. president, what about the
11:23 am
idea that -- >> i mean, i just want to tell you that the republicans are totally unified. if you would ask the same question to the democrats, you let me know in some of those districts where i won or that are a little bit more towards sanity, you want them to run, you don't want us to have border security, you have a lot of democrats that don't want to be in this battle. the republicans are unified. we want border security. we want safety for our country and for 25 years they've been trying to do this. this has been passed. chuck schumer's raised his hand so many different times, i could give you 15 speeches that he made, but i don't think you'll really enjoy them that much. i can give you 15 speeches he talked about border security, no different than me, border security, that's all he talked about, the only reason they're against it is because i won the
11:24 am
presidency and they think they can try and hurt us going into the presidency but that's not going to happen and we don't give up because we're doing -- we're doing the right thing for our country, okay? >> mr. president -- why is it a crisis -- >> you know why it's gone down, because of good management, because of me and my people. we've managed it well. but it is brutal. we have more people coming up. you have caravans. nobody ever heard of that. it's gone down and we have kept it down because we're managing it well. we can never do a great job unless we have a wall or a barrier and i mean a real barrier, not a little barrier that doesn't work and if you don't have that -- it's only down because we do a great job and we work very hard at it and i have incredible people, border patrol people, i.c.e., the military has helped. i called out the military. we needed help and that's why
11:25 am
it's gone down. thank you, everybody. >> let me just fact check briefly the president again. he mentioned this last night, 90% heroin coming from our southern border, you know, across this border area and while he's correct on the heroin deaths and some of the numbers, he's not correct on the fact that it's coming through the border. the majority of it is coming through legal ports of entry, just that's the fact. the president there having met with these senate republicans now is in route to the white house to chat with congressional leaders for another round of how they can potentially end this 19 days of the government being shutdown. sunlen serfaty is with me on capitol hill. let's go to texas. that's where ed lavendera is. that's where the president is heading tomorrow night. the president admitted that the idea behind the primetime address and going where you are, ed, won't change a damn thing, all right. the president's own words, that
11:26 am
said, how do folks feel who live where you are? >> reporter: brooke, you might as well be standing on a different planet as you hear people here in the border region talk about immigration issues and border security as compared to the way this is discussed in washington, d.c. just to give you a sense of where we're at, we're in a little town called mission which is next to mcallen where the president is scheduled to visit on thursday, this is the rio grandee, what you're seeing there on the other side is mexico and to give you some perspective, brooke, this is a plot of land that is owned by one family and a lot of these little properties are rented out and the family that owns all of this and just so the people understand, they're already a number of projects that have -- where money has been earmarked to continue either replacing existing border fence or to create new border fence and this is one of those areas, brooke, that would be affected by some of the projects that are already
11:27 am
in the pipeline and the family that owns this is concerned as you look back over this way, that a border wall would be constructed back over there in the distance which essentially would cut off a number of people, several hundred in this particular area alone that would leave them between a border wall and this river and mexico, so essentially -- and this has happened a number of times since president george w. bush began constructing border fences creating what is a no man's land. there's a great deal about property rights and how all of this is going to unfold. it's creating a great deal of tension and insecurity here in many communities up and down the border as they're trying to get answers as to how these projects that are already in the pipeline and being worked on, how it's all going to manifest itself and what it's going to mean for these individual families and also what the new projects and what this new money that president trump is fighting for and what that could mean for hundreds, if not thousands more along the border, brooke.
11:28 am
>> i am so glad you are there. thank you so much for the perspective right there in mission, texas, appreciate it. let's continue the conversation, tiffany cross is with me. jackie alamady. so ladies, you've just been listening there to the president speaking next to mitch mcconnell up on capitol hill, you heard the president, jackie, starting with you, you heard the president talking about, you know, republicans and solidarity and all standing together on this whole border wall, but i'm a little stumped by that, because by my count, there are at least half a dozen republicans saying, we're kind of over this. >> that's exactly right, brooke. i do want to point out that most of those republicans are republicans that are up for re-election in 2020 so there is a bit of schism that has formed there. i've been pinging staffers on
11:29 am
the hill asking about their boss's private opinions for the majority of this day so far and they say that most of them privately do not support this shutdown. they think its pretty unnecessary but they are going to continually publicly support this president because they don't trust pelosi, chuck and nancy as the resident likes to affectionately refer to them as to actually take this issue up separately. i think that the vice president said something that really stood out to me on monday, which is that things -- it's difficult to get things done in washington when there's not a pressing deadline and that's what this shutdown does, so they believe that this pressure is ultimately necessary to force the issue, but again that doesn't mean that the propagation of falsehoods and misleading statistics is, you know, the path that our lawmakers should be taking here. >> the fact that this president, i said a second ago, the fact that this president has said, his trip to the southern border,
11:30 am
is not going to change a damn thing, all right, so tiffany, you have that on one side. the president is about to roll back down constitution avenue and head, you know, back home to the white house and meet with chuck and nancy, meet with congressional leaders, does that -- if they know he said that, does that make him more vulnerable or not? >> i think it does make him more vulnerable. i think we've seen in recent polling that more and more people are putting the blame of the shutdown on donald trump. he said himself in that meeting in the oval office with the leadership that he will own the shutdown, it doesn't matter, that he decided to change his mind a few days later. he's known for speaking these mistruths. he just said that the republican party is unified. we know that not to be true. you've got gartner who bucked the party and you've got susan collins who's also saying that she wants to get the government running again. it's going to be a challenge.
11:31 am
i think both sides have dug in their heels and i want to point out the fact of why this shutdown is happening. the shutdown is happening because of mistruths that this president has stated. i just wrote this morning that senator bob menendez, he just penned a letter to the secretary of state mike pompeo asking what is up with the administration giving all these false numbers, you guys are saying stuff that is not true, you're saying things that run contrary to that, where do the answers stand? i don't think the president realizes that there's going to be checks and balances within his party and outside of his party. i think we're going to be in the situation a while longer. it's going to take republicans, though, to buck the party, to move past this statement. >> let me hit pause because here is senator lindsey graham speaking. >> i think that's pretty well-known. before the president would comment, i think he'd want to
11:32 am
know how many people believe this is a good idea other than me. if you can get a bunch of us saying it, then i think he would change his mind. >> doesn't that exchange one problem with the sort of hard right on immigration for another? i already heard ted cruz say that would be amnesty. >> we won't get everybody, we won't get everybody democrat or republican, but i do believe there's a critical mass for the idea that the daca population, a renewable work permit is a pretty good solution for their situation right now, the tps population is going to lose their legal status and a lot of these people have been here for 20 or 30 years, you combine that with border security. i think you can get a lot of votes but not all the votes. >> did he indicate at all when he would use a national emergency -- >> no. >> can i ask you a different question? >> all right. jackie, let me use that reporter's question on national
11:33 am
emergency, right? this is something that the president has vocally flirted with. this is a potential option for him of the menu of options that the president has. can you just walk me through whether it's national emergency, emergency funds at the pentagon, actually getting everyone on the same page, of all these options, where's he going to go? >> that is a great question, brooke, and truth be told, you know, with this president, it's always unpredictable, but i think it's an important thing to point out here that your colleague and i were talking about a few days ago, why has it taken the president 19 days to come to the collusion that this is a national emergency? mick mulvaney how they can use
11:34 am
this pool of funds that are unallocated at the pentagon and transfer it towards building the wall, but there are a lot of legal questions, it's still murky territory about whether or not congress would still need to approve of this reallocation of funding. it does seem like no matter what the president does, this still might require some congressional oversight. but, you know, i think the broader picture is that using the term national emergency helps bolster the president's argument that this is a crisis, whether or not it is actually one. >> it's a word, it's a word that's being thrown out a heck of a lot from 1600 pennsylvania avenue. tiffany, what's the breaking point? if neither side is budging and this could be -- this is about to be the longest shutdown in american history, what's the breaking point? >> i think we're at the breaking point now. friday, hundreds of thousands of federal workers will not get a paycheck and i think some of
11:35 am
those people are solidly planted in donald trump's base. i don't believe he's hearing from hundreds of people who are supporting him outside of his twitter followers. i do think -- maybe 800,000 federal workers, but it's really millions of people when you think about their families and the wide net that it cast of people who aren't getting a paycheck. i'm not sure that this president is going to be able to sustain this much longer and to your point, i'm not sure republicans who are up for re-election are going to be able to explain to their constituents why this is still happening, this president, when he explores his options, this is not someone who operates out of logic as we see. he's also talked about closing 2,000 miles of the border. that's not a realistic solution. $1.7 billion worth of goods cross that border every day. hundreds of thousands of legal immigrants cross that border every day. 54% of our produce comes from mexico. i don't think that he's thought
11:36 am
through logically what that looks like and how that works and that will end up in the courts if he tries to bypass congress and do that. >> brooke, i'm sorry, i want to provide a counterpoint to what tiffany said because i actually think this could stretch on for quite some time. i think we're underestimating really howl the president functions in general as a human. i talked to just a handful of his allies who have worked with him previously and still work for him and one quote that really stands out to me is that the president is a honey badger and he doesn't care what people think -- >> except for his base. >> right. >> he admitted that. >> and he cares about conservative media. i know a lot of people call him a dictator, but a dictator tells the media what to do. when i said we're at a breaking point, i think the american people are fed up with the state
11:37 am
of affairs. >> let me just quote the president and close this out, right now if i did something that was foolish like give up on border security, he's worried that it would cost him, specifically his base. ladies, a pleasure. >> thanks. >> as we're talking about the president and the government shutdown and the other big story with paul manafort and what paul manafort said to this russian regarding the 2016 campaign, a new sign that vladimir putin is trolling the u.s. one day after the president of turkey blasted the trump administration shifting policy on syria, russia is now inviting president erdogan to hold talks in moscow. will this further complicate the u.s. strategy in syria? (mom vo) it's easy to shrink
11:38 am
into your own little world. especially these days. (dad) i think it's here. (mom vo) especially at this age. (big sister) where are we going? (mom vo) it's a big, beautiful world out there. (little sister) woah... (big sister) wow. see that? (mom vo) sometimes you just need a little help seeing it. (vo) presenting the all-new three-row subaru ascent. love is now bigger than ever. stop fearing your alarm clock... with zzzquil pure zzzs. a drug-free blend of botanicals with melatonin that supports your natural sleep cycle so you can seize the morning. zzzquil pure zzzs.
11:39 am
11:40 am
11:41 am
amazon prime video so when you say words like... show me best of prime video into this... you'll see awesome stuff like this. discover prime originals like the emmy-winning the marvelous mrs. maisel... tom clancy's jack ryan... and the man in the high castle. all in the same place as your live tv. its all included with your amazon prime membership. that's how xfinity makes tv... simple. easy. awesome.
11:42 am
the kremlin today is revealing a high profile face-to-face meeting between russia and turkey and that it's set to happen, quote, soon. turkish president is set to visit moscow but all of this is coming less than 24 hours after erdogan slammed the trump administration. erdogan saying national security adviser john bolton made a serious mistake when he said turkey must agree to protect the kurds once the u.s. withdraws from syria. so with me now david sanger, "the new york times" national security correspondent and cnn political and national security analysis. always a pleasure. >> great to be with you. >> this incite from russia -- this invite from russia to erdogan, what did you think? >> putin is playing this all
11:43 am
pretty well from a pretty weak hand. if you step back and look at what's happened, the president of the united states is agreed to pull back from syria, there may be some good reasons for that but it essentially leaves syrians to the russians and iranians. now he's using the split between the u.s. and turkey to carve off the weakest member of nato, a country in which the united states keeps nuclear weapons, that russia hates the fact that they are there, right? a country that the u.s. needs in the middle east and he just sees a moment to sew more doubt about what the state of the u.s./turkish relationship is and, you know, mr. bolton came in and basically walked into a buzz saw. his goal here, brooke, was to walk back what the president had done with a rapid withdraw, he ends up setting a set of conditions that erdogan says he will never meet. >> so putin's basically trolling the u.s. >> uh-hum.
11:44 am
>> and all of this just -- i bring this up again, james mattis, the now former secretary of defense, he resigned over all things syria just a few weeks ago. we've since moved on because there's so much going on, we don't even fully know where the u.s. stands, where trump stands on syria. >> we don't. we know a little bit of a timeline. president trump made what appears to have been a somewhat impulsive decision after talking to erdogan on the phone to pull out within 30 days and that's what led to the mattis resignation, that you would do something so abruptly and had it not been that, i'm fairly well convinced that mattis would have left over something else. they were at the end of their rope. then what happens? the president is then told you can't pull out in 30 days, so they extend it to 120 days, right? then he says, i never said that we're going to do this in a
11:45 am
rush. of course you did. you played the tape many times. bolton goes out and he says, there's no timetable here except that these conditions have to be met and the conditions included that the turks would agree not to go in and kill the kurds, the american allies over the border and that's not happening. so if you had to tell us right now what are the conditions under which the american troops would leave -- >> question mark, question mark, question mark. that's where we are on that. lastly, just because i wanted to ask you this huge news about paul manafort in this unredacted portion of the filing that indicated when he was trump's campaign chairman and he was in madrid having this meeting with this russian he tells this person key polling data from the 2016 campaign. now, we don't know if he was told to do that, we don't know -- we kind of know some of
11:46 am
what the russians did with regard to the campaign, but when you first heard that, david sanger, what the heck did you think? >> the first thing i thought was, if you're running a presidential campaign, how do you have time to go off to spain and meet some russians? the second question was, if you're running a presidential campaign, why would you go off and meet some russians? >> yep. >> the third question was, if you're running a presidential campaign, why would you be sitting around discussing a potential peace plan that would bring a pro-russian leader back who had been run out of the country to ukraine which was part of the discussion? and then the further question is, did this polling data in any way provide the russians with any information that they used in the course of the hacking? we don't know that and there's probably not much in that polling data that the russians couldn't have learned in some other way including probably from their embassy in the united states. >> sure, but -- >> but it is strange.
11:47 am
remember where we were a year and a half ago, the white house saying, the white house saying, no one in our campaign talked to any russians full stop. >> not true. >> not true. on multiple occasions with multiple people. >> not true. david, thank you very much. >> great to be with you. breaking news now, back on the government shutdown, president trump and congressional leaders just minutes away from yet another meeting in the situation room. the pressure is mounting on two fronts, this growing humanitarian crisis at the border and growing anger from a lot of people who will not be receiving paychecks friday. also ahead, investigators starting to take some action after that docuseries, surviving r. kel"kelly" aired right now. we're learning about an arrest warrant for people closest to r. kelly. stay here.
11:48 am
if your moderate to severe ulcerative colitis or crohn's symptoms are holding you back, and your current treatment hasn't worked well enough it may be time for a change. ask your doctor about entyvio®, the only biologic developed and approved just for uc and crohn's. entyvio® works at the site of inflammation in the gi tract, and is clinically proven to help many patients achieve both symptom relief and remission. infusion and serious allergic reactions can happen during or after treatment. entyvio® may increase risk of infection, which can be serious. pml, a rare, serious, potentially fatal brain
11:49 am
infection caused by a virus may be possible. tell your doctor if you have an infection experience frequent infections or have flu-like symptoms, or sores. liver problems can occur with entyvio®. if your uc or crohn's treatment isn't working for you, ask your gastroenterologist about entyvio®. entyvio®. relief and remission within reach. about medicare and 65, ysupplemental insurance. medicare is great, but it doesn't cover everything - only about 80% of your part b medicare costs, which means you may have to pay for the rest. that's where medicare supplement insurance comes in: to help pay for some of what medicare doesn't. learn how an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan, insured by united healthcare insurance company
11:50 am
might be the right choice for you. a free decision guide is a great place to start. call today to request yours. so what makes an aarp medicare supplement plan unique? well, these are the only medicare supplement plans endorsed by aarp and that's because they meet aarp's high standards of quality and service. you're also getting the great features that any medicare supplement plan provides. for example, with any medicare supplement plan you may choose any doctor or hospital that accepts medicare patients. you can even visit a specialist. with this type of plan, there are no networks or referrals needed. also, a medicare supplement plan goes with you when you travel anywhere in the u.s. a free decision guide will provide a breakdown of aarp medicare supplement plans, and help you determine the plan that works best for your needs and budget. call today to request yours. let's recap.
11:51 am
there are 3 key things you should keep in mind. one: if you're turning 65, you may be eligible for medicare - but it only covers about 80% of your medicare part b costs. a medicare supplement plan may help pay for some of the rest. two: this type of plan allows you to keep your doctor - as long as he or she accepts medicare patients. and three: these are the only medicare supplement plans endorsed by aarp. learn more about why you should choose an aarp medicare supplement plan. call today for a free guide.
11:52 am
disgust against r & b singer r. kelly who works with michael jackson, whitney houston and lady gaga but now there are demands to mute him and his music. the public outcry follows this explosive six part lifetime series called "surviving r. kelly" where multiple young pim and even his ex-wife come forward about domestic violence and how people for years, for decades covered it up. >> i would feel isolated. i would feel like a prisoner. i didn't have any one to talk to. it was just me. i went into a depression. i was mentally drained because he would break me down then build me up and make me feel like [ bleep ] again and do it all over again. he was really manipulate my mind. the breaking point for me was when rob slapped me and he choked me until i blacked out.
11:53 am
>> now r. kelly's home state of illinois has asked possible other victims to speak out. >> please come forward. there's nothing that can be done to investigate these allegations without the cooperation of both victims and witnesses. we cannot seek justice without you. >> these state's attorneys reports numerous calls are starting to come in and cnn has learned that in georgia, they issued an arrest warrant for his former manager, allegedly threatened to kill the father of one of the victims. kelly's camp is speaking out, his attorney sent this statement to cnn. prosecutors are supposed to investigate the crime after the crime is reported. my understanding is in the documentary, there is no criminal activity. so now they are soliciting people to make things up. they have never started any investigation of criminal
11:54 am
activity because there has been no criminal act. but when you proceed in this manner, calling out for people to step in to the publicity's limelight, you run the risk of false accusations and it will be a false because he has done nothing wrong. joining me now, writer and cultural critic, you are a chicago native, you have heard all the stories of r. kelly growing up. first just your reaction to hearing about possible investigations probes being opened up and more young women coming forward. >> i'm very excited to hear that he's being investigated again. i think that's one of the outcomes that the producers of the film knew was possible and they have produced a body of work that certainly gives investigators a lot to consider at the very least, so i think we're moving toward justice for the victims of this man, for the
11:55 am
first time in nearly three decades. >> three decades. why do you think it's been that long and nothing has happened? >> robert's primarily the victims have been black and brown girls, many of them from working class backgrounds and this is someone who was incredibly influential and powerful, particularly in chicago for a very long time, there were people who took the money and ran, you know -- >> no matter what. >> no matter what. and there was just -- our society does not value the humanity of little girls and it certainly doesn't value humanity of little black girls. >> i want to ask you this, after the series aired, calls to domestic violence hot lines had spiked, so did online streams of his music. why do you think that is? >> i'm sure that there are people that went back into his catalog out of curiosity to see what kind of easter eggs were there. on his first solo album, you have a song called, seems like
11:56 am
your ready, it seems like you're all the way, not something that you have to say to an adult woman with a lot of experience. >> these girls were very young. >> these girls were very young and there are people that are not willing to part ways with this man's music and i think some of them took to streaming services to, you know, voice their opinion and their support. >> jamilah lemieux, thank you for your voice, thank you. president trump taking the shutdown negotiations into the situation room as he meets moments from now with leaders of both parties from the house and the senate. is republican support starting to crumble for him? this is all unfolding amid dramatic investigations with paul manafort. we've got all of that for you next. first steps! for moments that matter, tracfone keeps you connected, for less. can you send that to me? yeah. our new smartphone plan gives you talk text and data
11:57 am
with unlimited carryover starting at $15 a month, no contract. all with nationwide coverage... tracfone. for moments that matter.
11:58 am
11:59 am
you're watching cnn. i'm brooke baldwin. thank you for being with me. right now president trump is
12:00 pm
scheduled to meet with congressional leaders including democrats in the white house in the situation room. this is his latest attempt to end this partial government shutdown now in day 19. just a short time ago, the president emerged from a meeting with senate republicans on capitol hill and he said this -- >> did you any republicans in that meeting tell you they wanted you to pursue a different strategy and reopen the government? >> we talked about strategy -- we talked about strategy but they're with us all the way. >> mr. president, what about the idea -- >> i mean, the fake news is the fake news and i just want to tell you that the republicans are totally unified. >> as the president tries to cut a new funding deal with democrats, he is facing a new bombshell from his campaign that puts this whole russian collusion mantra to the test. new court documents filed by paul manafort's legal team reveal that he a