Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom with Poppy Harlow and Jim Sciutto  CNN  January 21, 2019 6:00am-7:00am PST

6:00 am
very good monday morning. it's martin luther king jr. day. i'm jim sciutto. poppy has the day off. the house and senate are out for the holiday which means there's no chance the government shutdown will end before tomorrow. hundreds of thousands of federal workers who have been off the job for 31 days, a full month, are forced to keep working without getting paid will miss a second paycheck this friday. the president is calling those
6:01 am
workers, quote, great patriots. and he's calling nancy pelosi irrational for rejecting the plan he offered over the weekend to end the immigration stalemate, though many on the right don't like it either. the president might not have any public events on mlk day, but it's a busy day for dems eyeing 2020. just this morning, freshman democratic senator kamala harris declared her presidential run is on. joining me, cnn's kyung lah with the latest. this announcement expected? >> expected. we've seen these been quietly and not so quietly trying to build the structure. so the announcement, not necessarily exactly a surprise, but it made it official putting a real heavyweight in on the race. >> my entire career has been focused on keeping people safe. it's probably one of the things that motivates me more than anything else. when i look at this moment in time, i know the american people deserve to have somebody who is going to fight for them, who is
6:02 am
going to see them, who will hear them, care about them. who will be concerned about their experience. and put them in front of self-interests. >> and this announcement came just before social media posting it to video where she talked about, if you want the kamala harris doctrine that she's bringing together this wide coalition in order to fight the trump agenda and putting together or principles and trying to build that coalition. >> that's a modern campaign announcement with the big social media push. describe her coalition or the one she imagines she has to get herself this nomination. >> as we saw throughout the book tour, kamala harris has strong appeal to women, particularly after the brett kavanaugh hearings last year. and also to millennials and particularly millennials of color who were a real problem for hillary clinton. she did not have enough of them.
6:03 am
did not do enough to bring them into her campaign. kamala's advisers see a real path for her here. maybe a decent start in new hampshire and iowa, but then a huge push in south carolina where they hope that she can consolidate the african-american vote which makes up 61% of the democratic electorate there, and then move on into these states in the southeast that also have a huge share of african-americans. if she is able to consolidate that kind of a coalition along with white progressives, as she did in san francisco, in states like alabama, north carolina, tennessee, mississippi, all those states early in the calendar, she could have a pretty good shot. >> that's for the democratic nomination. the key it seems, when democrats discuss someone who could beat donald trump, is appealing to people in the middle part of the country. particularly white working class voters that made the difference in the last election to the
6:04 am
democrats' detriment here. what's kamala harris' approach? >> what you see the senator talking about and you'll see this rollout is this notion of her being a prosecutor. that she has been on the inside trying to work for justice reform. >> tough on crime. >> smart on crime. that's been her motto. >> she has gotten criticism from some in the progressive wing saying she was not progressive. >> it's going to have to be a dance. in order to win the progressives, especially the black vote, she has to address this issue. we spoke to a number of voters, black voters, women of color, all saying she's got to talk about this. she's got to take care of this. bring everybody into the fold because progressives are -- you know, certainly repelled by that notion. so they -- then she has to move into the middle and be able to talk to people in the middle to say i've been a prosecutor. i can work for everyone. >> she's also talking about tax credits, tax cuts for the middle class. feeling, you know, trying to reach out to them by saying the
6:05 am
trump economy has left a lot of people behind. she's basing her headquarters in baltimore with an outpost also in oakland. so really will be able to shine a spotlight on some of those income disparities we've seen. and they feel that will be a way in which she can connect with middle class voters, her own upbringing and her understanding of, you know, the time it takes to save up for a home. all of those average person concerns. >> so fourth woman to enter the race here. a question, though, because a lot of the internal democratic party criticism after the loss in 2016 was that we as a party, they will say, need a message beyond identity politics. need something that goes beyond whatever your gender, race, et cetera, but a candidate that can appeal to working class voters as someone who is going to make a positive difference in their lives. i'm sure senator harris is aware of of what. what's her plan for that?
6:06 am
>> what you're hearing from people on the ground in iowa, they'll have to talk about policy. you're seeing the senator in her roll-out today talk about the middle class tax cuts and kitchen table issues. if she can't get through on those policy issues, democrats in iowa feel they won't make it through. so that is the initial thought that it's not going to just be about personality. >> of course, this is where hillary clinton really fell apart is that so many voters we talked to in 2016 felt she just did not have a strong enough economic message to those voters. and, you know, kamala harris is going to really try to take it to donald trump, arguing that all of his policies have mainly helped the upper 1%. >> and that was a lesson in the midterm elections. the democratic candidates did their best to run on policy. here's how i'm going to make a difference which poses problems with the shutdown now. thanks a lot. certainly a story we'll follow. we've got our eye on two
6:07 am
other candidates. michael bloomberg and joe biden. appearing at an mlk breakfast. the former vice president and former new york mayor. are you expect anything more announcements or more just dipping of toes in the water? >> jim, we certainly have some 2020 power players here in the room. it's unclear whether they'll offer us any clues as to their 2020 thinking. in a short while, we'll be hearing from former new york city mayor michael bloomberg and former vice president joe biden. we're at the national action network's mlk breakfast also hosted by reverend al sharpton. you saw biden and bloomberg working the room taking selfies and shaking hands with folks before this breakfast started. this comes as it's really a big day for 2020 and those potential candidates and already declared candidates who are fanning out across the country today to celebrate martin luther king's
6:08 am
legacy. later today you'll have senator kirsten gillibrand. she'll be in new york with the reverend al sharpton for an event there. and cory bookers and bernie sanders in south carolina. they are trying to tout the reverend king's legacy. >> so for the former vice president joe biden, this is a big week for him. tell us what's going on. >> well, this is the first time we'll see the former vice president joe biden out in public in well over a month. he's been keeping a low profile as he's heading into those final stages of his 2020 decision-making process. and pretty soon, later this week down in texas, he'll be holding another event as well, down in florida. as of right now, he's still undecided. a friend of his said that it seemed to him he was more likely to announce a candidacy than not. we'll see if he offers us any clues today here in d.c. >> thanks very much.
6:09 am
to capitol hill where for the first time since the shutdown began a month ago, the senate will soon have something to vote on. just not the same thing the house is voting on. lauren fox is there. looks like you'll have competing votes in the republican-controlled senate and democratically controlled house that don't really move the two sides any closer to resolution. >> that's right, jim. that's just a sign of what a standoff we have here on capitol hill. majority leader mitch mcconnell in the republican-controlled senate will bring the president's proposal to the floor of the senate for a vote. that proposal includes $5.7 billion for border wall, as well as an extension of temporary protected status and a protection for daca recipients. but, of course, democrats already saying that bill is dead on arrival in the senate. what to watch for there, just a couple of mofd rat democrats who may break with their leadership. it is unlikely it would get the 60 votes it needs to go to the house. nancy pelosi in the house of
6:10 am
representatives will bring a package of pieces of legislation that will include a billion dollars more in border security, but not wall funding. and that's a key distinction here. democrats trying to make the case in the house they will give the president more border -- excuse me, give the president more in terms of border security but not in terms of that border wall. of course, democrats' refrain has been, trump, if you want to reopen the government, do it now. then we'll took you about border security. >> just a quick question there. when the president and republicans talk about temporary protection for dreamers, i believe that's for three years, what would then happen to them afterwards? if it's temporary, what does that mean in actuality? >> well, that is one of the key concerns for democrats. chuck schumer called it just more hostage-taking because at the end of the day, president trump was the one who got rid of that protection for daca recipients so a lot of democrats have that question. it's only three years. what happens next?
6:11 am
that's why you're seeing so many democrats saying they want a more permanent solution to the daca issue, not one that the president can just take away if he's re-elected. >> lauren fox on the hill, thanks very much. to the white house where the president's new attempt to lure democrats to the table could be explained in a snippet of reporting from "the washington post." the president is very much aware he's losing the public opinion war on this one. one senior administration official, a member of trump's administration, said he looks at the numbers, this official. joe johns joins me now. we've seen the poll numbers here consistently showing the large majority of americans blame the president and the gop for the shutdown. so tell us about the numbers in the president's offer. i'm particularly interested in what temporary protection would mean because if i'm a dreamer, obviously, i want to know that i've got that protection for the rest of my life, not just for three years. >> yeah, absolutely. and let's just run through the numbers. important to say this proposal
6:12 am
by the president was rejected by democrats, even before he gave the speech. it could be construed as a small step. especially if democrats make some type of a substantive counteroffer. here's the first graphic. $5.7 billion for border wall. that's not new but what's new is the way the president is characterizing it. he's now talking about not a concrete structure from sea to shining sea but essentially steel fencing in high priority legislations. now here's what he has thrown in as what you could characterize as a sweetener. that would be three years of protection for 700,000 recipients of the deferred action for childhood arrivals program. and then, jim, what you were talking about there at the top. three years of temporary protected status for 300,000 immigrants whose status is now facing expiration. very important to talk about the background on that. the president essentially took away temporary protected status
6:13 am
for many of these groups, and a judge has moved in to block that. so that's what the rest of that graphic says there. so this is still a work in progress. democrats, of course, are rejecting so much of the president's proposal simply because they say he is the person who essentially took away a lot of these protections for some of these individuals. and now he is throwing some of these back in, essentially to try to solve a crisis that they say the president protected, jim. >> at the end of those three years, what would happen to those dreamers? is the idea to allow more time for negotiation for a more permanent solution? >> in a perfect world, the idea is the legislature, the senate and house will get together and come up with a more permanent solution for these individuals. but as you know, it's the kind of thing that so far they haven't been able to come up with a solution on capitol hill. >> bipartisan solution,
6:14 am
endangered species in washington. joe johns, thanks very much. so what? rudy giuliani says it would be perfectly normal if the president spoke to michael cohen about his congressional testimony. plus, a viral video has sparked fierce backlash against a group of high schoolers. but a new video shows a different side of the encounter between the teens and a native american man and the hour leading up to it. we'll have more on that. all the cashback r card.e and security features, but i'm not going to pay an annual fee. i'm just not going to do it! okay. okay? discover has no annual fee on any of our cards. so it wasn't my tough guy act? no. we just don't have any annual fees. that's a relief. i've been working on that for a long time. if we had talked a month ago, that would have been a whole different call. i can imagine. excuse me, sir. can i please have no annual fee? no annual fee on any card. only from discover. and i don't add trup the years.s.
6:15 am
but what i do count on... is boost® delicious boost® high protein nutritional drink has 20 grams of protein, along with 26 essential vitamins and minerals. boost® high protein. be up for life.
6:16 am
you're smart,eat you already knew that.
6:17 am
but it's also great for finding the perfect used car. you'll see what a fair price is and you can connect with a truecar certified dealer. now you're even smarter. this is truecar.
6:18 am
today a u.s. coast guard ship departs for a multimonth deployment. but in a video posted by admiral carl schultz, he reminds us these guardsmen are leaving behind families on day 31 of this shutdown. here is vice admiral linda fagan. >> i know it's hard for these crews to be leaving behind their dependents and spouses. a thousand times more so when everyone is wondering when their
6:19 am
next paycheck will be and how they can support the family they're leaving behind. >> out to sea, out to deployment without a paycheck. joining me, jodi airington. thanks for taking the time. >> greetings from the largest cotton patch in the world. >> well, it's good to have you. you are aware of the democrats' position on this in response to the president's offer over the weekend. and their position is that the president created this problem. the president removed protection from dreamers and that offering them temporary protection now as a concession, in their view is not a concession at all. in your view, is temporary protections for dreamers whose protections the president removed himself, is that a compromise? >> absolutely it is. i think if you ask the daca folks if having the peace of mind and not being -- not always
6:20 am
looking over their shoulder for fear of being deported because that is the law of the land. the president would have to grant an extension, save and accept the court stay that's occurred recently. so i think it's a big deal for daca folks and gives the runway for us to negotiate and work out a broader, more comprehensive immigration reform plan. so i think it's the latest in the president's efforts, repeatedly, to work with the democrats, to find common ground, to find a compromise solution so that we can get the government back on, these workers back online and move the country forward. and most importantly, jim, secure the border and protect our citizens. >> let me push back on a couple things there. if you are a dreamer here, three years doesn't exactly -- it takes your eyes off, you know, your shoulder for three years. but would you support offering permanent protection for
6:21 am
dreamers? because that's in actuality what the dreamers are seeking and what your democratic colleagues are. would you support that as a way forward to actually reach a compromise? >> well, what i want to make sure happens first and foremost is that our citizens in this country get the security that they deserve and should expect from their government. that is the first priority. and then i think we can look at negotiating on a number of components to immigration reform. and it's not just daca. by the way, a big part of this influx of illegal immigration has to do with magnets that draw people here and loopholes like our asylum policies. so this is a multifaceted and very complex issue, as i know you understand. but i would say that the president has been operating in good faith. and i think this latest proposal, with a three-year extension, is meaningful. and the democrats have to move
6:22 am
in good faith towards him or they're going to lose the support from the american people because they want reasonableness, and they understand the government has to compromise. >> how is it good faith if the president supported before the holidays legislation to reopen the government and the republican senate -- republican-controlled senate did and then the president reversed on an agreement he previously supported. how is that good-faith negotiations? >> listen, the president has asked repeatedly speaker pelosi and the democrat leadership if he were to do this, that and the other that they are asking for, would they give him the proposal and mainly that fundamental component of physical barriers and she rejects it out of hand. listen, it's an irrational position. and i think your viewers understand this. it's irrational to say walls are immoral when, in fact, democrats have voted for it. when walls worked and we have
6:23 am
the facts in el paso and tucson where we've deployed physical barriers. and i think it's disingenuous that people live behind physical barriers and are protected by them and then to claim they're immoral. people see that as irrational. we need to see the democrats move on this. they need to move on this latest proposal. at a minimum, provide a counterproposal so that we can keep the dialogue and get resolutions as quickly as possible. >> your texas colleague, the republican will herd whose district is on the border. he does not support the wall. he says there are better ways to go about security. he supports the secure fence act. doubling down on technology on the border. as you know, the drugs actually come across at ports of entry and we've spoken to members of customs and border patrol and they say what they really need is more manpower and womanpower
6:24 am
at those ports of entry to find the drugs as they come across. you are saying it's just the democrats. the fact is you have a texas republican colleague who says the wall is really -- should not be our focus here. are you worried the president is kind of tying this all to the wall because he made a political promise here and has not focused on the solutions that actually get the safety you're looking for? >> i have tremendous respect for my friend will hurd but let me say this. walls are not the only solution. physical barriers are not the only solution. but they are a fundamental component of security in any scenario. and they work. they've been proven to work. so it is boots on the ground. it is technology. it is the judicial infrastructure to expedite deportation. it's turning off magnets, closing loopholes. but physical barriers are part of it and to just reject that out of hand is too obviously
6:25 am
purely political. all of us have to put our country's interest before politics. and we all have to deal with the various factions of our party who won't be happy with certainly with every component. we've got to find a way to find common ground, compromise and move the country forward. >> final question for you, because i hear you. listen, it's washington. they're in politics on both sides. clearly nancy pelosi has taken a position saying we're going to dig in our heels and not give a dollar on the border wall. the fact is the president was going to move forward. he got criticism from far right media and reversed on the support for the budget deal prior to the holidays. and he is keeping government shut, right? i mean, what's your response to your democratic colleague's argument, okay, let's reopen the government and then let's work on a comprehensive deal here. why not open the government first and not hold folks like those coast guard sailors going out to see now not getting paid? >> even "the washington post"
6:26 am
has implored the democrats to not wait until the government -- >> i'm asking you. why not both parties open the government and then negotiate? >> this is a straight down the middle objective sort of commentary on this. if i'm looking at negotiations, and i see one side is completely recalcitrant, completely obstinant and irrational and not willing to give and even claim ridiculously that walls are immoral and they are that dug in, i lay the blame of a shutdown on that side of the negotiating equation. >> well, the majority of americans in the polls do not. and the president himself said he would own the shutdown prior. so i am just curious if you are concerned about paying a political price for this. you can make that argument, but the majority of americans aren't buying that argument. >> i think if the american people see that this president and the republicans are in good faith trying to work with the democrats, they'll give us the grace to continue to do what we're doing.
6:27 am
and i think that, you know, politics aside, the first priority in the most important job of the government is to protect its citizens. so if there's any time that i would be in favor of this sort of extreme measure of a government shutdown it is for the sake of my communities in west texas. and the law enforcement folks that i met with on saturday that say the drugs and crime is wreaking havoc on our communities. it's real. it's growing. and they don't have the resources to deal with it. so, yes, i think we should talk more about that, jim, than on these others. they are real. the other ones, the cost, the disruption, all that is real, but the lives that are being affected by not having border security, that's more important to me. >> congressman jodey airington, thanks for joining us this morning. coming up, rudy giuliani now says, so what, if the president spoke to michael cohen before his congressional testimony. he said if it happened, it would be, quote, perfectly normal. would it really be, though?
6:28 am
to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best to make you everybody else... ♪ ♪ means to fight the hardest battle, which any human being can fight and never stop. does this sound dismal? it isn't. ♪ ♪ it's the most wonderful life on earth. ♪ ♪
6:29 am
it's the most got it.r pickup order?earth. ran out of ink and i have a big meeting today and 2 boxes of twizzlers... yeah, uh...for the team... the team? gooo team.... order online pickup in an hour. hurry in and save on tax software. at office depot officemax
6:30 am
rex catches everything and so does jackson hewitt, like the biggest tax reform in decades at jackson hewitt we help lots of people like you. no one gets you a bigger refund. otherwise you get $100. that's right. no one gets you a bigger refund. visit jackson hewitt today. remember when we all used to go to the cafeteria and just chow down midday? -you mean, like, lunch? -come on. voted "most likely to help people save $668 when they switch." -at this school? -didn't you get caught in the laminating machine? -ha. [ sighs ] -"box, have a great summer. danielle." ooh. danielle, control yourself. i'd like to slow it down here with a special discount for a special girl. danielle, this one's for you.
6:31 am
with a special discount for a special girl. amazon prime video so when you say words like... show me best of prime video into this... you'll see awesome stuff like this. discover prime originals like the emmy-winning the marvelous mrs. maisel... tom clancy's jack ryan... and the man in the high castle. all in the same place as your live tv. its all included with your amazon prime membership. that's how xfinity makes tv... simple. easy. awesome.
6:32 am
rudy giuliani now says president trump might have spoken to michael cohen about his congressional testimony prior to his testimony. the president's lawyer telling cnn he does not know for sure but he said even if discussions did happen, so what? >> president trump did not have discussions with him, certainly had no discussions with him in which he told him or counseled him to lie. if he had any discussions with him, they'd be about the version of the events that michael cohen gave them. >> but you just acknowledged that it's possible that president trump talked to michael cohen about his -- >> which would be perfectly normal. which the president believed -- if corsi -- >> the president might have talked to him about his testimony. >> and so what if he -- >> is it not -- >> so what says the president's lawyer. joining us cnn national security and legal analyst susan
6:33 am
hemnessy. knows a thing or two about the law. so what if the president of the united states speaks to a witness in an investigation in which the president is involved prior to his testimony. >> i think first and foremost, so what because we know the testimony ultimately submitted was false. so even setting that aside, it's really -- >> that's a good point. so the president spoke to him prior to giving false testimony. >> exactly. so there's serious substantive questions but also the -- as a process basis, it's really unusual for a witness or subject of this kind of investigation to talk about testimony in advance. lawyers will tell you not to do this precisely for these reasons. you'll open yourself up to questions about suborting perjury, witness tampering, obstruction of justice. as a lawyer it's surprising to hear it come from him. >> i have to imagine the former new york district attorney rudy giuliani who prosecuted mob bosses might have been concerned if a mob boss spoke to a witness in a trial or anybody spoke to a
6:34 am
witness before trial. >> this would concern any prosecutor of any type. you don't want people to be coordinating testimony in advance. you want people to come forward and tell the truth. >> so the other kind of highlight of giuliani, or revelation is these discussions of a trump tower moscow, that michael cohen had initially said ended in january 2016, long before the election heated up. we then learned it went to june at least, but rudy giuliani says it continued right up until election day. significance? >> i think it's significant because this means that donald trump is pursuing a private deal with a foreign adversary at the same time he's calling for obama-era sanctions to be lifted. and so the big question, donald trump sort of staked out a position on russia, pro-russia position, that was at odds not just with democrats but also republicans. the question through the campaign was, why? why did he want these sanctions to be lifted? now we have a story that says he -- one of the reasons is because up through election day,
6:35 am
he actually is pursuing his sort of personal financial interests. and so it raises serious questions about the degree of compromise. >> having worked in the national security agency, you know how russia operates. would russia, if it was seeking to influence a candidate, a political candidate in the u.s., keep alive a lucrative business deal as a means of influence? >> so we've seen the model by which they use the carrot and the stick. the threat of something holding over you but also an incentive. a reason to want to favor their interest. so i think this is something that is sort of right out of the russian playbook. and notably, this is something that as a candidate, donald trump would have been and reportedly was warned about. these -- the russians use these tactics in order to ultimately compromise people. >> susan hennessey, thanks very much. brand-new video showing what led up to this stare down between a teenager and native american elder. what is the whole story behind this viral video? we think it's really important that you watch and listen.
6:36 am
starting at $15.99. eal treat yourself to the perfect gift today, because the aussie 4-course won't last long! outback steakhouse. aussie rules. if your moderate to severeor crohn's symptoms are holding you back, and your current treatment hasn't worked well enough it may be time for a change. ask your doctor about entyvio®, the only biologic developed and approved just for uc and crohn's. entyvio® works at the site of inflammation in the gi tract, and is clinically proven to help many patients achieve both symptom relief and remission.
6:37 am
infusion and serious allergic reactions can happen during or after treatment. entyvio® may increase risk of infection, which can be serious. pml, a rare, serious, potentially fatal brain infection caused by a virus may be possible. tell your doctor if you have an infection experience frequent infections or have flu-like symptoms, or sores. liver problems can occur with entyvio®. if your uc or crohn's treatment isn't working for you, ask your gastroenterologist about entyvio®. entyvio®. relief and remission within reach.
6:38 am
6:39 am
means they won't hike your rates over one mistake. see, liberty mutual doesn't hold grudges. for drivers with accident forgiveness, liberty mutual won't raise their rates because of their first accident. switch and you could save $782 on home and auto insurance. call for a free quote today. liberty mutual insurance. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪
6:40 am
take a moment here now to listen. new video has emerged giving a different perspective and a deeper look at a controversial encounter between a white high school student and an elderly native american man. the viral video that directed so much outrage at students from a kentucky high school did not tell the full story and appears to undermine at least some of the worst accusations against them. this video taken at the lincoln memorial in d.c. on friday sparked a fierce backlash. it seems as if the student in that maga hat is mocking the man as he chants and beats on a drum. but the student says this small snippet of video was unfair to
6:41 am
him and his classmates. so we had cnn's sara sidner take a deep dive. >> reporter: the catholic high school student who comes face-to-face with a native american elder in a viral video is now responding. in a statement, student nick sandmann says the viral does not reflect the true nature of events when students arrived at the lincoln memorial. we noticed four african-american protesters also on the steps of the lincoln memorial, he said. the protesters said hateful things. indeed. a small group of black men who identify as hebrew israelites did say hateful things to seemingly everyone around them, including a priest. >> let's make america great again. a bunch of child molester [ bleep ]. >> and the students. >> you have these pompous bastards come down here in the middle of a rally with their dirty ass hat on. >> when a black visitors tries to stand up against the
6:42 am
rhetoric, he faces hate, too. >> you have all these dirty ass crackers behind you with a red make america great hat again on and you want to fight your brother. >> reporter: at first the catholic students there for the march for life are in small numbers but more and more show up, watching but not engaging. the small group of men continue taunting them. >> a bunch of incest babies. a bunch of babies made out of incest. >> reporter: sandmann says the rhetoric was startling because we were being loudly attacked and taunted in public. a student asked one of our teacher chaperons for permission to begin school spirit chants to counter the hateful things that were being shouted at our group. and they do. at one point a student removes his shirt and the chants drown everything out. two minutes later, you hear a drum beat. that is nathan phillips, an omaha tribe elder. it was their attempt to thwart
6:43 am
potential violence. the kids danced to it and began chanting along. >> i realized i had put myself in a really dangerous situation, you know. it was like here's a group of people who were angry at somebody else, and i put myself in front of that. >> reporter: phillips, a vietnam veteran, walks around. other students avoid him. until you see him come face-to-face with the student who has now gone viral. in his statement, the student says he was the one trying to de-escalate the situation, not phillips. i believe that by remaining motionless and calm, i was helping to defuse the situation. i realized everyone had cameras and that perhaps a group of adults was trying to provoke a group of teenagers into a larger conflict. sandmann has every opportunity to move back. so does phillips. neither do. while they faced off, kids face more taunting from the hebrew israelite group. >> this is a bunch of --
6:44 am
>> reporter: while phillips maintains he felt the kids were mocking him and being red, sandmann said it was the adults trying to provoke the kids. not the other way around. so you see there the kids standing around and, look, there is some video of the kids doing a tomahawk chop which the native american elders and others there say was disrespectful and they felt they were being taunted. but we're getting some reaction from a congressman who had said, look, i looked at that initial viral video as did the catholic diocese that's over the covington school, and basically, the covington school said, look, we condemn these kids for what they did to the native americans, especially nathaniel phillips that you see there. we condemn their behavior and we're investigating. the mayor came out and said we condemn what these students did, this is not who we are. but when it comes to the
6:45 am
congressman, he said i looked at the video, the entire thing, and he says, look, i am not condemning these kids. i am standing with these kids because they faced so much hatred and bigotry and racial slurs that were thrown at them that congressman thomas macy says i actually am proud of these kids because they did not respond to the four or five african-americans who were there who were hurling, you know, really nasty words at them. jim? >> sara, i want to bring in john avlon. but, sara, i don't want to make you make a final judgment on this, but having looked at all the more than an hour of video leading up to it, and heard the sandmann statement and statement from others involved, do you believe that the initial portrayal of this as being offensive behavior on the part of these students was unfair to them? >> i think it's really hard to say because if you do look at that initial video, there is certainly a sense that everybody
6:46 am
is not happy-go-lucky. as i put in the story, the child, the student there could have stepped back. so could have the adult there, nat nathan phillips. he, too, could have stepped back. and you are seeing the native american elder there walking around. other students kind of avoid him. when he comes up to this student, the student is clearly standing right there. they are both in each other's faces, and it is very uncomfortable. but i can't feel what either of them were feeling. nathan phillips said he felt there was a nastiness going on around him that there was mockery going on around him and the student says, no, i felt this was getting out of hand and that he was being disrespectful. so it is really about their own personal feelings. and i can't judge that at all. but certainly the people who started all this tension were the gentlemen calling themselves hebrew israelites who were slinging all sorts of nastiness
6:47 am
towards these kids. >> john avlon, this shows the danger of the digital age, does it not? because a tiny snippet of video that perhaps doesn't characterize the entire encounter can go viral, as it did here. and, really, in this case, affect the lives of young people. this is the kind of place we are in now, is it not? >> sure, look. it's a cautionary tale about the danger of social media creating mob mentalities. and that's what we're trying to push back upon. it reminds us the truth is rarely pure and never simple and that context is key. once you did look at the entire video, you got a more complex sense of the dynamics. and as i can some ways, it's instructive. sara's excellent piece points out, it was this group. the so-called hebrew israelites which is a separatist nationalist group which started by hurling this hate and invective, which is what they do. and that starts off this larger
6:48 am
cycle. but so much of our cultural and political debates are a powder keg. you take it out of context, it exacerbates it even further. it's necessary to view it in a larger context and that's why sara's piece does so well. take a deep breath. >> waited for this moment before piping in? >> if i can -- >> sure, that's a key question. wait, learn the facts first. >> you know, as journalists, we want to do that. but what has happened, your question is exactly what i was going to answer. we're thinking on the same page. >> perfect. >> we are treating -- in general, the media as a whole. i'm talking about social media first because that's where this went viral. it wasn't as if no one saw this video before it hit cnn, abc, cbs. it was viral. and when we see those, i think that we all sort of treat it like breaking news, as if we have to go forward and immediately find out and immediately it on and
6:49 am
immediately start talking about it because everyone seems to be talking about it on social media. thousands and thousands of people or already tens of thousands of people are already having discussions and making judgments. and we, as companies and journalists do need to take a deep breath and say, okay, here's this piece slice of life. we've all seen slices of life that don't turn out to be exactly what you are seeing there. and you can take away whatever you want from that initial video, but you do need to see context. and that's something that we need to be sure to do. this needs to be a discussion we have amongst ourselves. we certainly do discuss it quite often but this is one of those where the context was extremely important. >> sadly, social media can be a context-free zone. it's an encouragement to take your time. john and sara, it's a complicated issue. we'll keep discussing this in the larger picture as well. i hope you get some time on your holiday. coming up, a new attack on an american military convoy in syria. this comes as turkey tells the
6:50 am
united states it is ready to protect syria's northern region. do we believe them? stay with us. yep. we match all the cash back new cardmembers earn at the end of their first year, automatically. whoo! i got my money! hard to contain yourself, isn't it? uh huh! let it go! whoo! get a dollar-for-dollar match at the end of your first year. only from discover.
6:51 am
♪ [ telephone ringing ] -whoa. [ indistinct talking ] -deductible? -definitely speaking insurance. -additional interest on umbrella policy? -can you translate? -damage minimization of civil commotion. -when insurance needs translating, get answers in plain english at progressiveanswers.com.
6:52 am
♪ -he wants you to sign karen's birthday card. it's a high honor.
6:53 am
6:54 am
just hours ago another bombing in syria. there were no u.s. casualties. this comes a day after turkish president said it was ready to secure. barbara starr joins us now. what do we know about this latest attack?
6:55 am
>> as you look at the video clearly another road side bomb attack in northern syria. thankfully no u.s. troops injured but a lot of sensitivity because of the attack last week that killed four americans and because president trump and turkish president had a phone call yesterday. the two leaders talking about the situation in northern syria. mr. trump according to the white house expressing concern about terrorism in the region and getting some sort of security arrangement in that area. but the turkish leaders say that they are ready to take over this part security arrangements and monitor this area of northern syria in terms that they would like the u.s. troops out of there and they want to take at least some responsibility for it because they believe the terrorists are in the area and the u.s. believes it is backing local fighters. so a lot to work out here about the security in this very unsettled region.
6:56 am
>> barbara starr, thanks very much. think about this. the tsa says that most of its scheduled absences are from p y employees who say they cannot come to work because of financial limitations. how safe does that make you feel? ink and i have a big meeting today and 2 boxes of twizzlers... yeah, uh...for the team... the team? gooo team.... order online pickup in an hour. hurry in and save on tax software. at office depot officemax
6:57 am
6:58 am
6:59 am
7:00 am
> . top of the hour now. most of the federal workforce is off today for the martin luther king jr. holiday. tomorrow 800,000 federal workers will be off because the shutdown or required to keep working without getting paid. on friday they will almost certainly miss their second round of paychecks. for the first time since this ordeal began 31 days ago, both houses of congress planned votes on m

58 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on