Skip to main content

tv   AC360 The Stephen Colbert Interview  CNN  August 18, 2019 5:00pm-6:00pm PDT

5:00 pm
up next, anderson cooper goes one-on-one with steefrn colbert. good night. welcome to this 360 special. he's been a comedian for more than a decade stashgrting off i improv and then came the colebrt report, he played an ultra conservative host n 2015, he inherited the coveted late night spot on cbs where david letterman had reigned for more than 20 years. all eyes and pressure were on colbert as he stopped playing a character and started being himself. after the 2016 elections, stephen colbert hit his stride. he tried to make sense of the none sensical world of politics.
5:01 pm
and now stephen colbert is number one in late-night television. there is a lot you don't know about stephen colbert, his life and what he's been through. he is as interlent you'll and interesting as he is funny. he opens up about his life, losses, comedy, and his faith. >> there's a bunch i want to talk to you about. >> the main screen media gotcha questions. >> let me just ask you about the stuff in the news. ken kuchaneli. >> oh, my god. i blame you for him. >> he was on cnn. >> a lochlt. >> i love your show. my wife and i come home and have a glass of wine and have a handful of nuts. tlaen are a few panelists i have
5:02 pm
to skip over. i have to skip over some of them. he is one of them. >> if any other person in an administration in a prior administration had rewritten the words of the poem which presidents from time in memorial quoted with great reverence, it would be an outrage. it would be people's heads would explode. it is a fundamental bedrock marker of who we are. >> yes, will is this emotional constitution that america has. there is an emotional reality we have that makes us all americans. one of them is like the new clos yas, the poem that he wrote on the statue of liberty. and -- >> i mean, we're constantly being told by this administration you don't see what you see. you don't hear what you hear. now they're saying you don't feel what you feel. you don't actually feel that.
5:03 pm
>> you called him a heratic to reality? >> yes. you know, the greatest sin is actually here say. not only are you astray from the right path, you're inviting, you're encouraging other people to come with you on that path. >> i think he had is red hot iron coffins in the inferno. i think that is dis. so it's pretty bad. and -- >> doesn't get much worse than. that. >> yeah. the worst spa treatment.
5:04 pm
he is also trying to invite us into this madness that he has. and that's hearsay against reality. that is the most selfish and basis instincts that all people v he's not appealing to the better angles of our nature. >> i heard you say the thesis of your show has become essentially hey, you're not crazy. >> right. >> that is part of the appeal with news and what we do every night, you know, people at a certain point get exhausted. >> yeah. i don't know how you do it. let me ask you a question, how do you do it every night? i have the relief of doing jokes.
5:05 pm
>> but still -- >> how do you keep going? >> i mean, even though you're in comedy though, you're still in the -- doing the same pace that we are in news. and in comedy, people spend all day or in some cases if they only have one show a week, all week writing the material and thinking it and honing in. >> right, we have some sense of what people are talking about. because we want to talk about what people are talking about. we're here to educate the audience and give us our opinion. it's like a long editorial is what it is. as you know, it's only accelerating. it also feels at 4:30, why go on
5:06 pm
at 4:45, 5:00, pop of their head and they're like chopper talk. >> chopper talk? >> chopper talk. the president is standing in front of marine one. we call it chopper talk. he should stand in front of a margarita maker. it's the same noise. >> yeah. >> at least there is a cocktail at the end of it. >> i don't hear you. see that? you have a helicopter. >> oh! oh, really? that. oh, that's a helicopter? i thought that was the sound of your presidency going down the toilet. i wasn't sure. >> the pace of it, i do think -- i mean i think about people that work in the white house. i think president trump, you know, dorothy parker said those born to the storm find the calm very boring. i don't know why he was born to the storm. but emotionally i think that chaos is something he is completely used to. >> he creates his own storm. >> right. >> he takes bag bucket of seawater and throws it in his own face and goes, i'm a sea captain. we're going to ride it out, boys. like he -- >> i always think about
5:07 pm
everybody around him just how exhausting it must be to be in that orbit. >> i -- >> you choose to do it. like every person who leaves goes, god, it was crazy in there. >> right. >> rick wilson, a republican strategist who we have on the show wrote a book called everything trump touches dies. >> yes. >> and i actually think -- i think that's a really interesting title. it reminds me of rogue and x men, you know, everything she touches sucks the life's blood out of you or whatever it was and kills you. do you ever wore bring that? because -- >> well, the thing about rogue is it's not just people that she kissed who die, it's people who go against her. and there are many people who have already destroyed themselves because they so gone after trump that they themselves, it blows back. they have gone down to his level. >> i'm not going against him. i am not the resistance. i said this i think the first night after he was elected.
5:08 pm
i think it was the next day. people were like wait, no, we care. like a day after it mattered. i think i said was i just want to -- we're -- this is not the resistance. this is alternative programming. because i can foresee, like, the madness and the heartbreak associated with that guy being in a very important moral position and so what we want to do is to point and laugh at what he thinks is his own dignity. that he thinks he gets from that office. but that's not resisting. that's laughing. it's not the same thing. i'm not a political figure. >> it is interesting because the whole notion of people laughing at him is something he has brought up time and time again. i mean, i'm sure you've done montages of this. >> it is a reoccurring theme for him to say, you know, under obama, the world is laughing at
5:09 pm
us. they're not laughing anymore. they're not laughing now. the irony is everyone -- they are laughing. >> exactly. but he says this, i mean, can you go back and find a dozen easily references to, you know, the people aren't laughing at us anymore. it is very important to him in his mind that he's not being laughed at and ch is why probably your show he has described you as saying filthy things. >> exactly. that is the most i've been able to get to say about me. does he tweet about you? >> no. surprisingly, he has not. >> i have yet to get him to tweet about me. >> really? >> yeah. my feelings are a little hurt. you know? >> the guy on cbs is -- what a low life. what a low life. i mean, this guy on cbs has no talent. >> hey, mr. president! i will not stand here and let you talk that way about james cordin. >> one of the things i read that your mom used to say you to as a
5:10 pm
kid was to -- with any hardship you were going through to view it in the light of eternity. i found that interesting. i've been thinking about it. since i read that, how do you think -- i won't say eternity but history is going to view this president? >> poorly. >> you have no doubt about that? >> oh, no. no. no. no. oftentimes, you know, a president leaves and is not popular and then, you know, george w. bush left with low ratings, i guess you would say or opinion polls. and now he is viewed much more differently. at least different. >> i question your research on that one. i don't think george w. bush is actually -- >> compared to trump? well, sure. >> he is going to look great. some sort of slime mold. yeah. i don't think so. it's not a good one. choosing my car insurance was the easiest decision ever.
5:11 pm
i switched to geico and saved hundreds. that's a win. but it's not the only reason i switched. geico's a company i can trust, with over 75 years of great savings and service. ♪ now that's a win-win. switch to geico. it's a win-win. switch to geico. at t-mobile, for $40/line for four lines,
5:12 pm
it's all included for the whole family, starting with unlimited data. use as much as you want, when you want. and if you like netflix, it's included on us. plus no surprises on your bill. taxes and fees are included. and now for a limited time, with each new line, get one of our latest smartphones included. that's right, only $40/line for four lines and smartphones are included for the whole family. who got an awful skin condition. with uncontrolled moderate-to-severe eczema, or atopic dermatitis, you feel like you're itching all the time. and you never know how your skin will look. because deep within your skin an overly sensitive immune system could be the cause. so help heal your skin from within, with dupixent. dupixent is not a steroid, and it continuously treats your eczema even when you can't see it. at 16 weeks, nearly four times more patients taking dupixent
5:13 pm
saw clear or almost clear skin compared to those not taking it, and patients saw a significant reduction in itch. do not use if you are allergic to dupixent. serious allergic reactions can occur, including anaphylaxis, a severe reaction. tell your doctor if you have new or worsening eye problems, including eye pain or changes in vision. if you are taking asthma medicines, do not change or stop your asthma medicine without talking to your doctor. help heal your skin from within. ask your eczema specialist about dupixent.
5:14 pm
there is a belief among some democrats and i guess, you know, even maybe a few republicans who appear on tv saying that -- they will reach a point of critical mass where people will have had enough. do you think -- >> i think it's just -- we both 20, 20 and we find out some more about our country. we found out something interesting about our country in 2016. and i think we find out every so often in presidential elections
5:15 pm
is that there a large group of americans and i don't think it's necessarily democrat or republican, there's a large group of americans who think the president should be a complete jerk. he shouldn't be somebody that you necessarily admire. it should be, like, look, a guy willing to work on the dark side and get things done. >> i also think there are people that just like the fact that he's -- that you're upset about him and that, you know, that we're covering him and -- >> i'm familiar with the term drinking liberal spirits. that's a huge price to pay. so there is an element of people who like that. >> right. >> think they can't be that way in their own life. >> those are policy positions. that's just people who, perhaps, and perhaps for real reasons feel like they have been made to suffer in some way and they use him as a tool to inflict suffering on others. >> there is a -- the president,
5:16 pm
you know, conservatives used to make fun of liberals for victimhood, that they were always portraying themselves as victims. donald trump, he is promoting a sense of victimhood that is -- seems appealing to a lot of the people listening to him. that he and they are being discriminated. he is such a strong christian and that, you know, that's why the irs is auditing him, allegedly, you know, proof actually offered. >> sure. i agree with you. there are people that feel that the -- strangely feel like they are like him or that he is like them. when i don't know anyone like him. he says we're the same and i'm being victimized and therefore i understand your experience.
5:17 pm
a, he's not being victimized and he's like no one. he was born with a gold spoon in his mouth. i guess sprempeople have a commonality. the thing is we know nothing about him. we don't know stupid things, school grades or actual skin color. we don't know what his actual hair is like. we don't know what he's worth. we don't know anything about his conversations with other world leaders. we don't know anything about him. that's the odd part. for a guy that likes to always have a camera pointed at him and talk about himself, i don't -- there is very little we can say about him with certainty. >> on a serious level, does it worry you that -- it worries me about abnormal behavior being normalized and the daily repetition of this stuff, after a while, you start to think that okay, it's normal that he is just accused of the clintons of being involved in the killing of jeffrey epstein even if it was in a retweet.
5:18 pm
>> met toricalaphorically we ha pull over the car of our show. you have to remain shocked. you have to be remind of something that this is insane. of course, trump is lying in that tweet. here's how you know. he's the one saying it. the power of repetition is it becomes the normal thing. he's really good at marketing. he is really good at marketing a single idea over and over again. and, you know, i'm sure the challenge for real news is to fact check him more than twice. >> the third fact check sounds like you're being petty. >> a little bitchy. >> right. >> we went over this. but he'll never stop. seem the , but some give their clients cookie cutter portfolios. fisher investments tailors portfolios to your goals and needs. some only call when they have something to sell. fisher calls regularly so you stay informed. and while some advisors are happy to earn commissions
5:19 pm
whether you do well or not. fisher investments fees are structured so we do better when you do better. maybe that's why most of our clients come from other money managers. fisher investments. clearly better money management. woman 1: i had no symptoms of hepatitis c. man 1: mine... man 1: ...caused liver damage. vo: epclusa treats all main types of chronic hep c. vo: whatever your type, ask your doctor if epclusa is your kind of cure. woman 2: i had the common type. man 2: mine was rare. vo: epclusa has a 98% overall cure rate. man 3: i just found out about my hepatitis c. woman 3: i knew for years. vo: epclusa is only one pill, once a day, taken with or without food for 12 weeks. vo: before starting epclusa, your doctor will test if you have had hepatitis b, which may flare up, and could cause serious liver problems during and after treatment. vo: tell your doctor if you have had hepatitis b, other liver or kidney problems, hiv, or other medical conditions... vo: ...and all medicines you take,
5:20 pm
including herbal supplements. vo: taking amiodarone with epclusa may cause a serious slowing of your heart rate. vo: common side effects include headache and tiredness. vo: ask your doctor today, if epclusa is your kind of cure. but it's not really something yoyou want to buy.. it's not sexy... oh delicious. or delicious... or fun. ♪ but since you need both car and home insurance, why not bundle them with esurance and save up to 10%. which you can spend on things you really want to buy, like ah well i don't know what you'd wanna buy cause i'm just a guy on your tv. esurance. it's surprisingly painless.
5:21 pm
mno kidding.rd. but moving your internet and tv? that's easy. easy?! easy? easy. because now xfinity lets you transfer your service online in just about a minute with a few simple steps. really? really. that was easy. yup. plus, with two-hour appointment windows, it's all on your schedule. awesome. now all you have to do is move...that thing. [ sigh ] introducing an easier way to move with xfinity. it's just another way we're working to make your life simple, easy, awesome. go to xfinity.com/moving to get started.
5:22 pm
would you want to have trump on your show again? >> can i suggesting? >> yeah. >> how about two walls. >> connected? >> no. not connected. two walls. you know, one here, one there. in between. a mote. >> and a nice resort? >> filled with fire.
5:23 pm
>> the quick answer would be no. because it would be hard for me to be properly respectful of the office. because i think that he is so disrespectful of the office that it's very hard to perceive him as i would want to perceive a president in terms of their status and dignity and the representation of the united states. so i think just for safety sake wouldn't be a good idea. >> you know, all the democratic candidates are being asked, you know, do they believe trump is a white supremacist. how do you answer that? >> a, i'm not running for president. b, he calls himself a nationalist. he thinks we should have more people from norway and less people from african countries. i think it's a fairly simple equation to say that is white nationalism. >> you had ideas about what the show was going to be before you started. everybody does. >> kind of. i kind of had an idea. but it really didn't know.
5:24 pm
>> the thing people don't understand about starting a show is it becomes something -- whatever you think it's going to be, you don't really know until you actually start. >> mike tyson said it best. everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face. and that's what it is. >> it's true. and you are doing it without a net and in front of -- everybody's commenting on it. >> sure. >> but, yeah. it does seem like you found the mission, the thesis -- you did a live show on show time, on election night. >> yeah. >> that -- i mean, to me that seemed the turning point. in your mind was it? >> had you already been thinking it? >> no. it was significant. that was significant in a way as a performer. >> i think we can agree there is an exhausting and bruising election for everyone. >> that's right. >> it's come to an ending dinlt
5:25 pm
imagin i didn't imagine. we all now feel the way rudy giuliani looks. >> that was emotionally raw. i think it's important for the audience to know that you're not lying to them. or you're not selling them a bill of goods. it doesn't mean every night is a confession. it means there is some emotional truth to what you're talking about. >> i also think that -- that camera is a little piece of glass. i think it trans mitt truth and a authenticity. people know who is full of shit and who is not. >> right. at that moment i had -- i just ran out of bull shit. not that i was trying to bullshit the audience. it was such a stunning event that, you know, it wasn't necessarily impossible to me that would happen. you know? we -- we considered it. i just knew if it happened that i would have a room full of very upset people and i didn't really want to engage in a bunch of people like. that we improvised. and that led to an authentic
5:26 pm
response. i think people responded to. and that's not when i found the show. we found the show months before. we -- you know, when you first start a show, everybody samples and then people went away. and then we worked our way back to the kind of show we want to do which is we're going to talk about what just happened. what is the national conversation and what is the opinion from an motional point of view. hopefully can hopefully with some emotional truth. it is on some level an art about what everybody is talking about today. my fear was that even though i think we had found it, mostly to the live shows because that's media leads to authenticity, you know, even doing a scene fast if you're an actor brings some sort of reality to it. my concern was that no one would ever come back to see if we found it. like we could have found the whole treasure and nobody was like, yeah, there is nothing down that cave. that night i think what made
5:27 pm
enough of a splash that people went they're doing something interesting now, that was an expression of something we had already found. it wasn't the new thing. and then the show basically got people to -- it built an audience again between that and inauguration day. and by inauguration day, i think people were hungry for someone talking about what is happening on a daily basis immediately because the news cycle happened so fast. or it had become so fast because the president is the person that you rightly should pay attention to. it's not like we're indulging some mad man. he's the president of the united states. it is right and proper that you pay attention to everything he says. because everything he says has an effect. time to... drop some phone knowledge on ya.
5:28 pm
get a wireless plan for up to half the cost of the big carriers. the straight talk wireless unlimited plan is just 45 bucks a month, no contract. all on america's best networks. plus 200 bucks off... ...the samsung galaxy s9. class dismissed. straight talk wireless.
5:29 pm
5:30 pm
5:31 pm
you wrote my a letter after my mom died and you said i hope you find naes your grief. i've been thinking about how we don't really talk about grief and loss. people are not comfortable talking about it. and one of the things i found in the last two months since my mom died is people coming up to me on the streets or reaching out to me and instagram or wherever and sharing their grief and sharing their loss with me and i found that the most helpful thing. i found it to be the most powerful and moving thing. and i kind of oddly don't want that to stop.
5:32 pm
because in regular times, people don't do that. and you spoken very publicly about what you experienced as a kid and i just -- a lot of it i didn't know. i think a lot of people don't know. if you don't mind, i want to talk about it and how it sort of has shaped who you are now. your dad was killed in a plane crash. you were 10 years old along with your two brothers peter and paul. they were the closest to you. >> right. jimmy, eddie, billy, margo, tommy, lulu, paul, peter, stephen. >> i'm the youngest of 11. my dad died when i was 10, too. i think it's such a horrible age to lose a father. i can't imagine losing both my brothers at the same time as well. for me, losing my dad then, it changed the trajectory of my life. i am a different person than i feel like i was meant to be. i feel like there are times i -- yeah, i am -- i feel like -- i remember when i was 10 i felt
5:33 pm
like i marked time to this day i mark time between while my dad what live and after. >> of course. >> it's like the new zero. >> without a doubt. without a doubt. yeah. there's another guy. there is another steve. there is a steve colbert, there is that kid before my father and brothers died. and it's kind of difficult. i have fairly vivid memories from right after they died to the present. like it's continuous and contiguous. it's all connected. there is this big break in the cable of my memory at their death. and everything before that has got an odd ghostly tongue. >> it's like shards of glass. >> right. >> i feel like flashes. >> little bits of it. and then the things that really, like music, because they died in september. they died on september 11th. they died on september 11th,
5:34 pm
1974. the music from that summer leading up to it, i will undo me in an instant. you know, the song of the summer was "band on the run." do not play "band on the run" around me. you know? yes. you become a different person. like i was personally shattered. and then then you kind of reform yourself in this quiet grieving world that was created in the house. and my mother had me to take care of which i think was sort of a gift for her, a sense of purpose at that point. i was the last child. but i also had her to take care of. and it became a very quiet house and very dark. and ordinary concerns of childhood suddenly kind of disappeared. i became -- i won't say mature.
5:35 pm
that actually was kind of delayed by the death of my father. by sort of restarting at 10. but i had certainly a different point of view than the children around me. >> there is a writer mary gordon who wrote about fatherless girls. i think it applies -- my mom quote it all the time. it's a fatherless chide thinks all things possible and nothing is safe. and i never really understood when it my mom would say it. i come to understand it. >> all things are possible in the positive and negative. >> great things can happen. the phone can ring and your whole life can change for better or worse. but i became what i refer to as a ka tass troe fist. i didn't want to be surprised and hurt again so i started sort of plunging head first into the things that scared me most. i would take survival courses in the wilderness to know i could survive in, you know -- >> i didn't have that reaction. i read a lot of science fiction. >> but i have heard you say that
5:36 pm
you do believe in, like, pushing towards things you are afraid of. you talked about standing in an elevator and making it vent and having an awkward experience intentionally. >> that's awkwardness. that is -- i suppose there is fear involved in. that but i -- so your dad dies. and your brother who's are almost as big as your dad because they're older brothers and they own the moon in your mind. so suddenly this important thing disappears. and important things suddenly lose some of their power. supposedly important things. it doesn't mean you love your dad or brothers any less. but things supposedly have status don't have status anymore. and so being willing to be ridiculous or not worrying what people thought of your status suddenly became easier. and actually the sort of the bits of embarrassment you might feel about being ridiculous in
5:37 pm
public. like singing out loud in an elevator full of strangers. which is an awkward and embarrassing thing to do. i would do it on purpose. i would get that feeling of embarrassment or kind of destruction of personal status, that protective feeling that you have to stay straight and to stay sort of in control or well thought of. and i would purposefully embrace that awkward moment of embarrassment. it would kind of run through me like an electrical current. and i like that feeling. i think it has something to do with not thinking that anything is important. including my own embarrassment. >> i know you said -- >> that is related to status now. >> i know you said school didn't seem important and teachers would try to -- >> no. i was like a golden child in terms of like my school. >> but you -- >> after that, i was like forget it. >> you were reading a book a day at school. >> what i wanted to read, i was escaping into fantasy and science fiction.
5:38 pm
science fiction and fantasy. >> so when you lost your two brothers, your dad and the boys as i know you refer to them -- >> it was always dad and the boys. >> that's how they were called. >> peter and paul and dad and the boys. >> i know most of the other siblings had already left. they were college. they had families of their own. it was you and your mom. >> for the most part. >> that is a difficult thing. that my mom, i talked to howard stern about this as well. you know, howard stern said he always felt like he had to treat his mom like a china cup and i always viewed my mom as a space alien who had landed on this planet and whose ship was mobilized and i had to protect her and show her how to live in this world. and i felt that until the day she died. and now i look back at it and i realize one of my mom's greatest strengths which as a kid drove me bananas was how, despite
5:39 pm
all -- despite tragedies and losses, she was -- she consciously chose to remain open and vulnerable and optimistic and believing the best in like everybody she met. and i felt like okay she can do that because i'm, you know, running interference and i'm scheming and plotting and, you know, willing to -- >> any chance she was doing it because you were there and needed a good example? >> no. i won't go that far. you know, she wasn't -- your mom i think was very parental. my mom was more -- she was, you know, an amazing creature. but it was -- >> because my mom was so shattered by the loss, not destroyed but shattered by the loss, we used to joke that i raised my mom after the age of 10. >> i completely understand that. >> at childhood -- you know,
5:40 pm
some ways it is struck different way but they're resilient. the world view is not fully formed. now my world view includes dad and your brothers die. that's part of the world view. i'm not -- at my age now which is around the age of my father and my mother were when he died, i am not sure if i could be as resilient. so i don't entirely know how she -- how she did it. i have a friend that lost someone recently, lost a child. she said how did your mother do this? i said i wish she was here to tell you. but it had to do with -- had to do with love and hit to do with her for loving god and i have the crucifix on my wall that was hers when i -- i inherited it when she died. and she would pray to our lady and say she knows what it is to lose a child. and her example of her faith
5:41 pm
stays with me. and that is -- we're asked to accept the world that god gives us. and to accept it with love. god is everywhere. god is in everything. then the world as it is all just an expression of god and his love and you have to accept it with gratitude because what is the option? what is the option? we're pretty different. we're all unique in our own ways. somos muy diferentes. muy diferentes. (vo) verizon knows everyone in your family is different. there are so many of us doing so many different things. (vo) that's why verizon lets everyone mix and match different unlimited plans. sebastian's the gamer. sebastian. this is my office. (vo) and now with more plans, everyone gets what they need without paying for things they don't. new plans start at just $35. the plan is so reasonable, they could stay on for the rest of their lives. aww, did you get that on camera? thanks, dad! (vo) the network more people rely on gives you more. we're going all in thion strawberries.ra, at their reddest, ripest,
5:42 pm
they make everything better. like our strawberry poppyseed salad and new strawberry summer caprese salad. order online for delivery. panera. food as it should be trust us. us kids are ready to take things into our own hands. don't think so? hold my pouch. so chantix can help you quit slow turkey.key. along with support, chantix is proven to help you quit. with chantix you can keep smoking at first and ease into quitting. chantix reduces the urge so when the day arrives, you'll be more ready to kiss cigarettes goodbye. when you try to quit smoking, with or without chantix, you may have nicotine withdrawal symptoms. stop chantix and get help right away if you have changes in behavior or thinking, aggression, hostility, depressed mood, suicidal thoughts or actions,
5:43 pm
seizures, new or worse heart or blood vessel problems, sleepwalking, or life-threatening allergic and skin reactions. decrease alcohol use. use caution driving or operating machinery. tell your doctor if you've had mental health problems. the most common side effect is nausea. quit smoking slow turkey. talk to your doctor about chantix.
5:44 pm
it's tsleep numberbiggest sale360 smart bed.n the you can adjust your comfort on both sides your sleep number setting. can it help us fall asleep faster? yes, by gently warming your feet. but can it help keep us asleep? absolutely, it intelligently senses your movements and automatically adjusts to keep you both effortlessly comfortable. so you can really promise better sleep.
5:45 pm
not promise... prove. and now, all beds are on sale! save 50% on the 360 sleep number limited edition smart bed. plus 0% interest for 24 months on all beds. only for a limited time. it's one of the things i have been touched by and sort of healed by the last two months is just people having real conversations with me about loss and grief and their pain. and i find it, you know, i'm at loss, we are taught to push our emotions deep down inside and present everything is great. but it's nice to actually kind of relate to somebody on that and talk about something other than this feeling. >> when you meet someone with a loss, you have two options. one is to say i'm sorry for your loss. that is perfectly lovely thing to do. but if you can share your experience, then they're not
5:46 pm
alone. >> it's always having to me how when you -- you know, i bring it up, meeting somebody for the first time and they say i'm sorry to bring it up, you know -- and as if -- they don't realize is i'm thinking about it all the time. i mean, it is as you said, it is, you know, it's one of my arms. it is an extension of who i am. >> possibly for the rest of your life. >> without a doubt. it's been 31 years since my brother died and, you know, more since my dad. and there is not a day that goes by i don't think about them. >> to a point i go why is nobody asking me about this? honest to god. my brothers died 45 years ago. sometimes i go like how come nobody is asking me about paul? how would they know to ask? they don't know i'm thinking about him. >> right. and they would be uncomfortable to ask. this is going to sound weird. but for a long time, and probably still to this day, i wish that i had a scar. i wish i had like a scar -- >> harry potter? >> yeah.
5:47 pm
more like running down my eye and my face that is unavoidable for people to see because it would sort of -- it would just be a silent signal to everybody i moo thaet i'm not the person i was meant to be or i'm not the person that i started out being. >> but you're entirely the person you are meant to be. >> i don't know. maybe not. maybe this is a warped version of -- >> so there is another time line with a happier anderson cooper? >> no, doesn't exist in an alternate universe, but, yes, i guess -- >> i guess that's what i mean about -- >> but that's my faith. >> my experience and the example of my mother and from what i read and experience of my particular faith. extreme extremely imperfectly, admittedly is that there isn't another time line and this is it. and the bravest thing you can do is to accept with gratitude the world as it is and then, you
5:48 pm
know, as gandolph says, so do all people in such times. >> you told an interviewer that you have learned to, in your words, "love the thing i most wish had not happened." >> i remember. >> you went on to say, what punishments of god are not gifts? you really believe that? >> yes. that's a gift to exist. it's a gift to exist. and with existence comes suffering. there is no escaping that. and i guess i'm either a catholic or a buddhist when i say those things. because i read those from both traditions. but i didn't learn it that i was grateful for the thing i most wish i hadn't happened. i realized it. is that -- and it's an oddly
5:49 pm
guilty feeling. >> it doesn't mean you are happy -- >> i don't want it to have happened. i want it to not have happened, but if you're grateful for your life, which i think is a positive thing to do, not everybody is and i'm not always. but it's the most positive thing to do. you have to be grateful for all of it. you can't pick and choose what you're grateful for. and then, so what do you get from loss? you get awareness of other people's loss. >> that's true. >> which allows you to connect with that other person. >> right. >> which allows you to love more deeply and to understand what it's like to be a human being if it's true that all and so, at a young age, i suffered something so that by the time i was in serious relationships in my life with friends or with my wife or with my children is that i am understanding that everybody is suffering. and however imperfectly,
5:50 pm
acknowledge their suffering and to connect with them and to love them in a deep way that not only accepts that all of us suffer, but also then makes you grateful for the fact that you have suffered. so that you can know that about other people. and that's what i mean. it's but the fullness of your humanity. what's the point of being here and being human if you can't be the most human you can be. i'm not saying best. because you'll be a bad person and the most human. i want to be the most human i can be, and that ivolves acknowledging and ultimately being grateful for the things that i wish didn't happen. because they gave me a gift. >> one of the things my mom would often say is that -- she said, i never ask why me. like why did this happen to me? she would always say, why not me? why would me be exempt from what has befallen everybody, countless others over the centuries. and i think that's another thing that has helped me think, yeah, of course. why not me?
5:51 pm
this is part of being alive. i mean, this is -- the suffering is the sadness, suffering, these are all, you know, you can't have happiness without having loss and suffering. >> in my tradition, that's the great gift of the sacrifice of christ is that god does it, too. you are really not alone. god does it, too. >> i heard you say something once. you said -- you said you don't proselytize because -- something about, i'm going to mull it, but you don't proselytize more jesus for me. >> i don't really proselytize. i don't necessarily want to make anybody my -- from my point of view, more jesus for me. here at the old heaven buffet. though i don't actually -- i don't even have a well defined cosmology to have a sense of what's going to happen.
5:52 pm
i want to talk about that gifts of god, what punishments of god are not gifts. i'm quoting tolkien, not me. because in the tolkien mythos, there are children and men, the one god within the tolkien mythos. >> and elves lived forever. >> they are part of the world. >> whom do we know who is an expert on all things "lord of the rings"? folks, when i spent my entire teenage years reading all of tolkien. not just hobbit and lord of the rings. smith of wooten major, i knew i was preparing myself for something important. why else would i ignore all my classwork, abandon sports and achieve a paleness i have yet to shake off. >> your mom studied theater. wanted to be an actress? >> yes, she was going to carnegie. >> was that something that -- and that she was then in haiti for reasons i'm not sure. >> i think it was haiti.
5:53 pm
it was in the caribbean. she got really sick with a tropical disease. >> like a rare tropical disease. almost a cartoon of a disease. she almost died. >> but in that process of recovery, ended up -- >> my dad said, will you marry me, and instead of having an acting career, she started her own theater company which is 11 children. >> that's how it was. did her desire to act, which was then given up to have this family, was that something that you absorbed? >> it seems obvious that would be one of my motivators. that me, with my mom/buddy in a way. we became very close friends. that i would do this in some way for her. it's self-evident. did not occur to me. did not occur to me for many years. it really wasn't until she died that i realized a lot of what i did was still going back to
5:54 pm
making her happy from those early years after dad and the boys died. we remember distinctly when she laughed for the first time. like it was like a year later or something like that. but that's inside of you as a young person. you absorb that and digest that but aren't necessarily aware of that until much later. when my sister mary said a very interesting thing after mom died. we were all going through this normal grief of my mother's death. and as i said after she died, like we were so lucky to have her for so long, but how long -- >> she was 92 when she died. >> exactly. 92. but it might seem selfish to want more of someone you've known for so long. but it merely amplifies the enormity of the room whose door is now so quietly shut. like you can't ever open that door again. but on top of that, we realized, oh, now we also lost dad and the boys. in some ways, we were here for her because of her loss of her husband and her children.
5:55 pm
and when she went, she kind of took them with her in a way. and so we all, or at least i and i talked to a couple of my brothers and sisters about this. i assume it's a fairly general thing is re-experience that. and there had been this delayed dealing with all of that over 40-plus years. and i realized in that moment, oh, damn, i wonder if i still want to do comedy because i was kind of doing this for her, without -- still enjoying it. having all the love and friendship and camaraderie of it. but the seed crystal was, make her laugh. you don't really talk about your insurance unless you're complaining about it. you go on about how... ...it's so confusing it hurts my brain. ya i hear ya... or say you can't believe... ...how much of a hassle it is! and tell anyone who'll listen... (garbled)....it's so expensive! she said it's so expensive. tell me about it. yes.. well i'm telling the people at home. that's why esurance is making the whole experience surprisingly painless. so, you never have to talk about it, unless you're their spokesperson.
5:56 pm
esurance. it's surprisingly painless. woman 1: i had no symptoms of hepatitis c. man 1: mine... man 1: ...caused liver damage. vo: epclusa treats all main types of chronic hep c. vo: whatever your type, ask your doctor if epclusa is your kind of cure. woman 2: i had the common type. man 2: mine was rare. vo: epclusa has a 98% overall cure rate. man 3: i just found out about my hepatitis c. woman 3: i knew for years. vo: epclusa is only one pill, once a day, taken with or without food for 12 weeks. vo: before starting epclusa, your doctor will test if you have had hepatitis b, which may flare up, and could cause serious liver problems during and after treatment. vo: tell your doctor if you have had hepatitis b,
5:57 pm
other liver or kidney problems, hiv, or other medical conditions... vo: ...and all medicines you take, including herbal supplements. vo: taking amiodarone with epclusa may cause a serious slowing of your heart rate. vo: common side effects include headache and tiredness. vo: ask your doctor today, if epclusa is your kind of cure. but some give their clients cookie cutter portfolios. fisher investments tailors portfolios to your goals and needs. some only call when they have something to sell. fisher calls regularly so you stay informed. and while some advisors are happy to earn commissions whether you do well or not. fisher investments fees are structured so we do better when you do better. maybe that's why most of our clients come from other money managers. fisher investments. clearly better money management.
5:58 pm
5:59 pm
can you love your enemies? can you love the people you dislike? >> you certainly should. you certainly should. i don't know. i suppose you can. i've seen people do it. >> do you try? >> i've seen people do it. i don't hate. i try not to hate. like people have come on the show and said, i know you hate trump. no, i just don't trust the cat. and yes, i said cat. are you hip to that scene,
6:00 pm
dadio? okay. uh-huh. yeah. >> i think that's how we'll end. thank you. it was really a pleasure to talk to you. >> nice talk to you, too. anderson cooper, everybody. we'll be right back. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪

51 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on