Skip to main content

tv   CNN Right Now With Brianna Keilar  CNN  August 20, 2019 10:00am-11:00am PDT

10:00 am
everyone unified around the idea of beating trump. so these purity tests are okay during the primary, but very quickly democrats want to be on the same page. >> thanks for joining us on "inside politics." hope to see you back here at this time tomorrow. busy news day. brianna keilar starts right now. have a great one. i'm brianna keilar live from cnn's washington headquarters. under way right now, joe biden making an extremely blunt argument for the 2020 election, essentially telling democrats on the fence to settle for her husband because he's the only one who can beat trump. isis is back just five months after the president declared the terrorist group 100% defeated. hear where and why the militants are resurging. plus, the white house juices the economy that would balloon the deficit and yet again, another group of american high school students seen giving a nazi salute to a nazi marching
10:01 am
song. and we start with a new look at the democratic presidential race, a look at where the candidates stand as we get closer to the third debate. as he has in previous polls, former vice president joe biden is leading the way, but his lead had be shrinking since the first debate. where does this stand right now? mark preston is here with all the numbers. break this down for us. >> as you said, joe biden who has now come out of two departments has a demanding lead. right now, a double dij lead over bernie sanders and elizabeth warren. but where is his strength right now? let's take a look right now at where we have and where he is right now. where he is, 29% in june, he was at 22%. he is up 7 points. his strength is coming from
10:02 am
moderate voters and self-describes debates right now. at the same time, look at kamala harris. she has plummeted 12 points. where does she lose her support from? from liberal voters. but brianna, as we make the turn into september right now, what are people looking for? they're looking at the next debate and we do know that castro is the tenth candidate too far who has qualified for the debate next month. >> and in this new poll, senator cam ma layer harris has dropped lower than where she was even before the first debate. she was at 8% then. she had that post debate bump to 17 and now she is down to 5. so her campaign is watching all of this right now and trying to figure out how they can regain some of that momentum. let's talk now to our analyst. here we have a. scott bolden,
10:03 am
attorney and former chair of the d.c. democratic party. this is quite the fall. what do you think led to that? >> look, i mean, this sort of shows that you can have these viral poemts in a debate like kamala harris did when she took on vice president joe biden. but that was a fleeting moment and you can't rely on those moments that take you viral to continue in the polls as time goes on. you have to show more than that. so i think that this is just a testament to how these moments in the debate, how they can make a candidate stand out. she certainly did that, but it wasn't enough. she needs more. >> you need sustainability, though. you really do. and this is a long race. but let's remember, this is not even september yet. this is one of many polls we're going to see. i don't think america is paying attention, other than the political junkies or the news junkies like us.
10:04 am
that is the first thing. second of all, each of these candidates has to create space. that is significant and it's going to shrink even more. and her strategy is to ring strong in south carolina and california and put a gap between her and everyone else. but she has to get there. i was in martha's vineyard this past week on vacation and she had several fund-raisers there before these polls came out. but the bottom line is, she could not continue to be raising money and continue on be at 5% and think she's going to get to california. >> that shows you why being an established quantity like joe biden is helping him at this point in time. listen to what jill biden said. this was her message to voters. basically, you may not like my husband more than other democrats, but he's still the clear choice and she said it was for this reason. >> i know not all of you are committed to my husband with and
10:05 am
i respect that. your candidates might be better on, i don't know, health care than joe is. but you have to look at who is going to win this election and maybe you have to swallow a little bit and say, okay, i personally like so-and-so better. but your bottom line has to be that we have to beat trump. >> i mean, wow. right? >> not exactly a ringing endorsement of your man. >> let's put in in context, though. >> but she's being so -- i mean, she's saying what she's thinking out loud. >> but look, he's at 29% and everyone else is at leave the 15 points behind him. that is the first thing. second of all, the majority of people want to beat trump. she's with a mixed audience, too, by the way. and she said everything in this audent doesn a audience doesn't support my husband, but he can beat trump.
10:06 am
>> 54% say the importance is who could beat trump. >> the fact that it is down is significant. clearly, this is intentional. joe biden is trying to make this electability argument. for a lot of democrats, it's more important that the president is beat trump. but with that number going down over time, the question is how long can they make that argument. hillary clinton tried to make this argument in 2016 and it helped her in the primary, but it didn't turn out. people didn't fall in love with her, democrats didn't. >> but that's not the reason she's making that argument right now. because the other candidates who are 15 points or month behind, their biggest challenge, regardless of whether they're liberal or whether they like medicare for all or not, is their electability. a real question for their support. so they've got true believers and the question is are they
10:07 am
electable? can they beat trump? one poll showed every one of them can beat trump, but not like joe abide within the traditional democratic base he has. the democratic party is a lot more conservative than the liberal wing, those who get all the media attention. and that is why he's back up to 29%. can't maintain, he has to fight for the future of the party and he has to fight for this nomination, but he's in a really good spot right now. >> elizabeth warren released her new law enforcement reform plan today and she wants to repeal the 1994 crime bill, decriminalize marijuana, and she also also change the way that bliss do their jobs, including setting a federal standard for the use of force, which is especially pertinent in the wake of the eric garner case now with the officer being fired in new york.
10:08 am
so why is she saying that? >> first of all, this is one of the reasons why elizabeth warren hag taken off in the polls. as she has grown in the polls, she has struged to win over african-american voters. this is something that directly appeals to people who are minorities who feel like law enforcement target them more for stop and frisk. this is somebody that could win over that area where she is hurting right now. >> everyone is struggling when it comes to african-american voters. if a today is trugelling with bla -- struggling with black voters, is it about this or is it about lebltbility? >> it's about talking to issues that are important to african-americans. it's about whether the voters connect with you, whether you're
10:09 am
talking about issues that are important to them. in this case, this is the beginning of her discussion because she's going to need african-american men and women to support her and these families who are part of the mass incarceration process, these are practical plans on the criminal justice system that used to be tough on crime. runs and the democraticic candidates all wanted to be tough on crime no matter what. they're saying this mass incarceration and privatization of prisons is costing us way too much. she may again some ground game here by addressing this issue and making it part of the political dialogue going forward, not just for of can americans, but for all of us. >> and a lot of african-american voters want candidates to talk about race. >> exactly. you cannot be afraid to talk about race and want the black vote. >> putting out that proposal
10:10 am
says she's ready to have that conversation and she's ready to try to fix it at least. >> thank you guys so much for that. as isis resurges, i'll be speaking with the man who wrote a book on the terrorist grip on power about where the group's elusive leader may be. plus, as fears grow over the u.s. economy, why every house hoerld in america could be losing $1,000. and another group of high school students seen on tv giving a nazi salute. details on that, ahead. every day, visionaries are creating the future.
10:11 am
so, every day, we put our latest technology and unrivaled network to work. the united states postal service makes more e-commerce deliveries to homes than anyone else in the country.
10:12 am
e-commerce deliveries to homes [upbeat music] no matter how much you clean, does your house still smell stuffy? that's because your home is filled with soft surfaces that trap odors and release them back into the room. so, try febreze fabric refresher febreze finds odors trapped in fabrics (bubbles popping) and cleans them away as it dries. use febreze every time you tidy up to keep your whole house smelling fresh air clean. fabric refresher even works for clothes you want to wear another day. make febreze part of your clean routine for whole home freshness. ♪la la la la la.
10:13 am
10:14 am
10:15 am
in the wake of a pentagon report that says isis is resurging in iraq and syria, the secretary of state down played the risk posed by the terror group which asked about it this morning. >> you said isis was done and done. >> yeah. what we have always said is the caliphate has been gone and there's always a risk there will be a resurgence. not just from isis, there's risk from al qaeda and other terrorist groups. >> is it gaining strength in your opinion? >> it's complicated. there are places where isis is more powerful today than they were three or four years ago. but the caliphate is gone in their capacity to conduct external attacks has been made
10:16 am
much more difficult. >> the news of isis making gains comes less than five months after president trump declared the terror group self-declared caliphate in syria had been 100% defeated. retire rear admiral john kirby is with us now. the aftermath as this was something the u.s. confronted, how alarmed are you by this resurgence? >> it's an alarming report. it's not surprising, though. because we have putt back some of our forces from the region and because we also knew that isis was never just a caliphate. it was always a network and that network survives. so they're metastasizing to mayss like afghanistan, north africa, and they are clearly trying to regain some of their influence in iraq and syria. >> let's talk about china and russia and their response to this u.s. missile test.
10:17 am
this was a ground launch of a u.s. cruise missile. what was the message the u.s. was trying to send? >> i think two things. first, that we're back in the game for intermediate range missile testing and development, but number two, that we have a long way to go. and this is a version of a tomahawk cruise missile on the lower edge of that intermediate range by the treatsy, so there is a long way to go. probably going be about 18 months or so before this missile can be deployed. but look, there's real questions. one, will it get sfunded? the house democrats in particular are not in favor of funding this and number to, where are you going base these? there has been receipt sans in europe and we've seen some receipt sans in the asia pacific theater. on the topic of china, there is some records out of the
10:18 am
university that is getting a lot of attention. it basically says that the u.s. is -- it's really no longer of prominent in asia. it is saying china is. it's saying the u.s. is busy other places and that china could take over japan, taiwan, parts of southeast asia why and the u.s. can do nothing about it. >> i think the report is overwritten and pept gone officials i've talked to say they don't subscribe to the same conclusions this report has come up with. clearly, everybody knows china is developing a more capable, more sustainable military. their whole strategy is to keep the united states out of what they consider to be their region of influence and what they want to do in the pacific theater. but the united states military has been focused on this threat for a long, long time. all of them are focussing on
10:19 am
what china is doing and to makes sure we are able to thwart any threats. let's take a look at this ominous warning out of the pentagon that isis is making a comeback. the department of defense inspector general warning that despite losing its territorial caliphate, the islamic state in iraq and syria, isis solidified its insurgent capabilities in iraq. jbie, thank you for being with us. >> good to be with you. so you are surprised by this report. why? >> no, this is -- you know, isis 3.0, 4.0, depends on how you keep track. we all saw that isis was not defeated back earlier this year despite the claims. thousands of isis members didn't
10:20 am
just fade away. they went across the river to iraq. some of them went into the countryside in syria. but they're still there. what is surprising in this report and to people on the ground is how quickly they've come back in tearus places, particularly in parts of eastern syria and northern and western iraq and how organized and systemic they are. they're not just doing random attacks, going after leaders in local towns and provinces. the iraqs come in, they try to clear them out and they're back again that evening. so it's that situation. it's pretty dangerous. >> back in 2015, this was the height of their power, the caliphate was big. in red, you can see these large swaths of land in syria and iraq. is it possible isis could regain that territory? >> it's possibly, but probably not likely. and the thing is, it's not that important to isis, this idea of ownering or controlling territory was a bit korchbt
10:21 am
visual even within the organization. but the thing is about holding territory, it's very manpower consuming, it's financially exhausting. now they don't have those financial open investigations any more. they have a lot of money left over and they have no territory to administer and they're in a good position to do that. >> how has it affected isis that president trump with drew the 3,000 troops in syria? >> in a waits, it's a gift. we only had 2,000 troops in syria. their job mainly was to train and equip local kurdish forces.
10:22 am
they are having a really hard time holding and maintaining ground in syria where they are. and if they have to fight turkey because turkey is threatening to launch cross border invasions to try to claim some kurdish cities, if that happened, then the ability to fight against isis is minimal if any. so it is a difficult situation for the troops that are still there. if we lose even more of them, there's a further drawn down and it gets more and more difficult for us. >> essential reading for folks who want to understand more about isis. we appreciate you being with us. >> thank you. a group of students at a california high school caught on camera giving a nazi salute, even singing a nazi marching song. how are parents respond to go this? plus, this just in to cnn, this u.s. government says it won't be giving the flu vaccine to children in u.s. custody on the border. we'll have details, ahead.
10:23 am
they give us excellent customer otservice, every time.e. our 18 year old was in an accident. usaa took care of her car rental, and getting her car towed. all i had to take care of was making sure that my daughter was ok. if i met another veteran, and they were with another insurance company, i would tell them, you need to join usaa because they have better rates, and better service. we're the gomez family... we're the rivera family... we're the kirby family, and we are usaa members for life. get your auto insurance quote today.
10:24 am
10:25 am
♪ you want a fresh-smelling home, but some air fresheners use heavy, overwhelming scents. introducing febreze one; a new range of innovative air fresheners with no heavy perfumes that you can feel good about using in your home to deliver a light, natural-smelling freshness. febreze one neutralizes stale, stuffy odors and releases a subtle hint of fragrance like bamboo or lemongrass ginger. to eliminate odors with no heavy perfumes, try new febreze one. brand power. helping you buy better.
10:26 am
hey! i live on my own now! i've got xfinity, because i like to live life in the fast lane. unlike my parents. you rambling about xfinity again? you're so cute when you get excited... anyways... i've got their app right here, i can troubleshoot. i can schedule a time for them to call me back, it's great! you have our number programmed in? ya i don't even know your phone anymore... excuse me?! what? i don't know your phone number. aw well. he doesn't know our phone number! you have our fax number, obviously... today's xfinity service. simple. easy. awesome.
10:27 am
we have some news just just in. despite cramped conditions and three deaths doctors say are connected to the flu, the federal government will not be providing flu shots for children in u.s. custody at the border. let's bring in elizabeth cohen. tell us about this. is this a new policy? >> you know, it's not
10:28 am
necessarily a new policy, but it's coming to light because now we have more and more children crossing the boarders in ways that with he never have before. and, doctors are saying why not give them flu shots? three children died in this past flu season after contracting the flu. it's easy. why not do it? customs and border patrol say we have these migrants for a short period of time. the doctors i talked to said it's not complex to give someone a shot and you have them for days at least. they don't understand the reasoning behind this. >> tell us about the dangers here. you have kids who are in close spaces like these detention centers. >> right. doctors wrote a letter saying vaccinate these children. they're in close quarters and they're always coming and going. so that is even more chances for the flu to spread.
10:29 am
it is like infectious disease epidemiology 101. it is a perfect storm for getting the flu. why not vaccinate them. despite the president and top aits down playing the threat of a recession, the white house is more worried about the economy that it is letting on. john decomplainny will join me live. plus, cnn reports under water in the north atlantic that is on the brink of devastation because of plastic completion. we'll have a cnn special report, ahead.
10:30 am
♪ ♪ ♪ applebee's handcrafted burgers now starting at $7.99 now that's eatin' good in the neighborhood. doprevagen is the number oneild mempharmacist-recommendeding? now starting at $7.99 memory support brand. you can find it in the vitamin aisle in stores everywhere. prevagen. healthier brain. better life. who used expedia to book the vacation rental which led to the discovery that sometimes a little down time can lift you right up. expedia. everything you need to go. this is the averys trying the hottest new bistro. this is the averys. wait...and the hottest taqueria? and the hottest...what are those? oh, pierogis? and this is the averys wondering if eating out is eating into saving for their first home.
10:31 am
this is jc... (team member) welcome to wells fargo, how may i help? (vo) who's here to help with a free financial health conversation, no strings attached. this is the averys with the support they needed to get back on track. well done guys. (team member) this is wells fargo. if your glasses aren't so will we...no we won't!em. [ laughing ] don't get just one pair of perfect glasses. buy any pair at regular price, get one free. really. visionworks. see the difference. he borrowed billions donald trump failed as a businessman. and left a trail of bankruptcy and broken promises. he hasn't changed. i started a tiny investment business, and over 27 years, grew it successfully to 36 billion dollars. i'm tom steyer and i approve this message. i'm running for president because unlike other candidates, i can go head to head with donald trump on the economy, and expose him fo what he is: a fraud and a failure.
10:32 am
cake in the conference room! showing 'em you're ready to be your own boss. that's the beauty of your smile. bring out the best in it with crest 3d white. crest removes 95% of surface stains... in just three days. it's how we bring real hope to our cancer patients- like viola. when she was diagnosed with breast cancer, her team at ctca created a personalized care plan that treated her cancer and strengthened her spirit. so viola could focus on her future. their future. this is how we inspire hope. this is how we heal. cancer treatment centers of america.
10:33 am
appointments available now. cancer treatment centers of america. hmm. exactly. and doug. liberty mutual customizes your car insurance, so you only pay for what you need. nice. but, uh... what's up with your... partner? oh. well, we just spend all day telling everyone how we customize car insurance, because no two people are alike, so... limu gets a little confused when he sees another bird that looks exactly like him. [ loud crash ] yeah. he'll figure it out. only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty, liberty, liberty, liberty ♪ i had a few good tricks to help hide my bladder leak pad. like the old "tunic tug". but always discreet is less bulky. and it really protects. 'cause it turns liquid to gel. so i have nothing to hide. always discreet.
10:34 am
u.s. steel says it is temporarily laying off about 200 workers at its michigan plant as the steel industry continues to falter. the company notified the state earlier this month there would be job losses at this facility near detroit. a slowdown in demand from europe and u.s. manufacturing has resulted in these plant closures. in 2018, president trump placed a 25% tariff on steel imports, but the resulting rise in steel prices proved to be short lived. and it turns out the white house may be worried about the economy after all. white house officials are considering a payroll tax cut in an effort to stimulate the economy even though the president is trying to paint a rosy picture, saying this about the economy over the weekend. >> the united statesel, right now, has the hottest economy anywhere in the world.
10:35 am
>> i want to bring in john delaney, a 2020 presidential candidate, a former congressman from maryland and he was the youngest ceo on the new york stock exchange when he took his first company public at the age of 33. so conchman, payroll tax cut, good idea or bad idea? >> well, listen, i'm always in favorite of helping out american workers and i obviously hope we don't go into a recession because that would not be good for american workers. but i think the myth of this you trump economy is wearing off. the trade war that he started is causing a global slowdown and it's hurting the u.s. economy. the sugar high from his tax cuts and spending is wearing off and he didn't make the kinds of infrastructure investments we should have done. his whole economic strategy has been a myth, it's been a fraud. in many ways, very similar to the ways he was in business. which is which is a lot of smoke and mirrors, and when it's all
10:36 am
done, there is no substance. i hope it doesn't had a happen, but that's why i think the white house is panicking. that's why he's bullying the federal reserve. that's why he's out there saying the economy is great, yet behind the scenes, they're talking about a barrel tax cut which is a pretty dramatic step to take to try to improve the economy. >> do you like it? do you like the idea of the payroll tax cut or no? >> listen, on its surface, i always like giving tax breaks to hard working middle class americans. it would be good to pay for these kinds of things by actually increasing taxes on high earners or getting the corporate tax rate at a better level. but what we need is a real economic vision. and the economic vision has to starts with investing in communities and people. we need a lot of money in infrastructure. i pulled for the biggest infrastructure plan since the creation of the federal hay highway system. we need to invest in basic research, we need to creative
10:37 am
incentives to invest in communities that are struggling and we have to get ourselves back in the trans-pacific partnership which is president obama's signature second term initiative. i'm the only democrat who supports this thing. if you can believe that. most of them support trump's view of global trade. >> i hear that. i want to talk to you about that because you've said, look, the u.s. should be tough on china, but the u.s. needs to stand up with its gloebl global partners. you support the trans-pacific partnership. but i covered hillary clinton in 2016 and i remember being there in michigan. she had been for the tpp obviously when she was secretary of state. she called it the gold standard. that hurt her so much. it hurt her with bernie sanders in the primary, it hurt her with downtown did the in the general election. it was almost a dirty word in these states that delivered for the donald trump. what do you say about that when
10:38 am
politically it seems so not feasible to have that position. there's a reason you're the only downtown with that position. >> right. and what i say is we see the results of trump's approach to trade. we see the results firsthand. isolating ourselves from our allies, tearing up snait nato, the democratic party cannot be the party of building economic walls. so i agree with you that was the sentiment in 2016. but now we have a real life example of what that isolationist economic policy actually does. so what we're seeing unfold in our economy is it's terrible and we have to be again gauging. what we have to do is pair it with communities which is why i fair getting back into the
10:39 am
trans-pacific partnership. we should be thinking globally from an economic perspective because we have to compete in a global economy, but we have to be investing in our communities. that's what no one else really seems to get. elizabeth warren puts out a trade plan that would prevents from trade, germany. the democratic party cannot be the party of building these economic walls. we have to engage globally. that is fundamentally good for the u.s. economy. it's good for the world. but at the same time, we have to invest. we have to invest in communities and people in our country. if we do those two things together, we're going to have a bright economic future. >> you are at this point struggling in the polls. you have not qualified for the next debate. you have announced a shake-up.
10:40 am
tell us why you decided to do that. >> so i think a shake-up is exaggerated because they're twitching back to the policies they had less than a year ago. the person who was my campaign manager has moved back into that position. the other person is back with the iowa focus because we think iowa is really important to the campaign which is why i'm here on my 35th trip. i've been to all 99 candidates. so this refocus in my campaign is designed around that strategy. it's almost a recognition that this discussion is going to become more important. unfortunately we're seeing signs of an economic slowdown. we're seeing a lot of uncertainty around the world because of trump's foreign policy and his trade policy and i think that's going to become the discussion in the democratic
10:41 am
primary. who actually has a message and is the only person as you said in the beginning who was successful in business and successful in government who is running for president is me. and i'm the right person to lead that discussion in this refocus of my campaign team is designed to put us in a campaign to do that more effectively. >> have you seen -- jill biden made a pitch to voters for her husband. it was unusual. she basically said even if they prefer another candidate, they should go for her husband because he can beat donald trump. what do you say to that argument? >> so i think the argument about putting forth a more moderate candidate who can build a big tebt democratic party is the way we beat donald trump, right, because we have to win the center. we have to win independents. that is what we did in the 2018 midterms and that's how we took back the house. so this message around building a big tent party which i stand for, which the vice president stands for, is the right
10:42 am
message. the problem is, we also need new ideas. the world is changing. our future is coming at us really fast and it's changing dramatically. and i think the vice president is running to some extent on an old playbook and we need new ideas to fix health care. we need new ideas to fix the climate. all these communities that are being left behind, to improve trurl strurt temperature, i have them. so they are right in that we need a candidate who can build a big tent party, but we also need a candidate with new ideas because the world is changing and the next president will be president from hopefully 2020 to 2028. that is where my campaign is
10:43 am
dramatically different. joe biden has stepped away from the trans-pacific partnership. he was ride about it. and the fact that these people aren't standing up for president trump i don't understand it. the only way to beat donald trump is to have a different vision about the u.s. role in the world. and i have it. >> former conch man john delaney, thank you so much for being with us. days before jeffrey epstein took his own life, he signed a will giving millions upon millions of assets to his brother. was it a warning missed by authorities? it's a sit-up, banana! bend at the waist! i'm tryin'! keep it up. you'll get there. whoa-hoa-hoa! 30 grams of protein, and one gram of sugar. ensure max protein. let's see, aleve is than tylenol extra strength. and last longer with fewer pills. so why am i still thinking about this?
10:44 am
i'll take aleve. aleve. proven better on pain.
10:45 am
10:46 am
those darn seatbelts got me all crumpled up. that's ok! hey, guys! hi mrs. patterson...
10:47 am
wrinkles send the wrong message. sorry. help prevent them before they start with new downy wrinkleguard.
10:48 am
convicted pedophile jeffrey epstein signed a new will two days before he hanged himself in his manhattan jail cell. epstein's brother is the only heir to his $557 million fortune. epstein created a blind trust for all his holdings which includes boat, artwork, several properties right before he died. i want to bring in carrie cordeo to talk about all this. this was a net worth of almost
10:49 am
$700 million when i died. is it as simple as this that his brother will get this money? >> i don't think it's quite that straightforward. the timing of the new documents is pretty suspect, a couple of days before he died knowing that even if he would have -- in any case, he had people who were going to be you soing him for his assets. the timing is suspect. normally putting assets in a trust would protect them more from critters or lawsuits. that is the general rule. but this is an usual circumstance. the timing is so suspect that certainly these documents will be challenged. whether or not those challenges will prevail is a question, but they will be challenged. >> challenged by his alleged victims, right? >> certainly. he could have other critters, but the most likely is these victims who now that they are not going to be able to have their day in just with him, the
10:50 am
perpetrator standing trial for the acts he allegedly perpetrated, this is what they will have is now to go after his assets and be >> if they can make a good case in civil court, it seems they would be entitled to some of this money. i think that's what a lot of people watching this would think. >> and yet it sounds like you're not saying it is for sure that they would be successful in a challenge. >> i don't think it's for sure they would be successful. they were validly executed. proper documents under the jurisdiction they're filed. they have the appropriate signatures and notaries and all of those things and those types of documents would normally have, then the question, one challenge would be whether or not they were fraudulent because of the timing they were done to
10:51 am
specifically avoid these potential lawsuits, and i think that's what's going to play out. >> a disturbing cnn special report finds that extreme amounts of plastic are invading an area in the middle of the atlantic, that scientists are calling a plastic death trap, we'll have that next. his luxurious fur calms my nerves when i'm worried about moving into our new apartment. why don't we just ask geico for help with renters insurance? i didn't know geico helps with renters insurance. yeah, and we could save a bunch too. antonio! fetch computer! antonio? i'll get it. get to know geico and see how much you could save on renters insurance.
10:52 am
10:53 am
10:54 am
cake in the conference room! showing 'em you're ready to be your own boss. that's the beauty of your smile. bring out the best in it with crest 3d white. crest removes 95% of surface stains... in just three days.
10:55 am
cnn investigates a plastic
10:56 am
death trap found floating in the middle of the ocean, roughly 140 miles off the coast of bermuda. arwa damon takes a look at how the every day items we use are helping to form an island of algae and micro plastics, helping damage the ecosystem and the aquatic life caught within it. >> it is humbling to be out in the blue sea. a free floating seaweed dubbed the atlantic rainforest there is an unexpected array of biodiversity, along with our awe is the shocking realization of what we're doing to it. >> look at all that.
10:57 am
>> there are also takenier pieces, hard to see, but everywhere. >> tiny little pieces like this throughout. >> each time we got into the water, we found countless plastic pieces, all different shapes and sizes. most plastic is not dumped directly into the ocean, much of what you see has been discarded on land. traveling thousands of miles and breaking up along the way. the sargaso sea is the world's only body of water without shores. it's defined by the currents of the north atlantic. currents that also carry plastic fifth, maybe it one of the five ocean garbage patches.
10:58 am
>> alexandra julep, a marine biologi biologist. the sargasa provides a habitat for baby turtles and shrimp. degrading plastic becomes even more toxic. all that toxicity enters the marine life's systems. and travels all the way to our plates.
10:59 am
>> you can see quite a bit of plastic already when it's in here, it's been fairly common? >> yes, most of the samples have been -- we have seen plastics because they -- >> the initial results of the study are alarming. greenpeace found greater concentrations of micro plastic to what they found in the notorious great pacific garbage patch last year. >> when you see the way things are now, are you worried abo about -- it's insane. >> you can't help but be struck
11:00 am
by how interconnected our world is and how destructive we're being to our ecosystems, and with that, ourselves. >> that's it for me, newsroom with brooke baldwin starts right now. brianna, thank you so much. there may be more than 20 democrats battling it out for the white house. there is one thing that unites this party's voters more than anything else. making sure president trump does not get a second term. many voters say it is joe biden. that's according to a new cnn poll showing he has a double-digit lead up from late june. senator kamala harris

79 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on