Skip to main content

tv   Cuomo Prime Time  CNN  February 10, 2020 6:00pm-7:00pm PST

6:00 pm
so i'm on my path, he's on his. we're holding hands, but we're on our own paths. >> reporter: randi kaye, cnn, portsmouth, new hampshire. >> on the same path, holding hands. the news continues. i want to hand it over to chris for "cuomo prime time". >> i know a lot of wives and husbands who may explain their relationship that way, but let lincoln be lincoln, that is a nice way of putting it. i am chris cuomo, welcome to prime-time. the first in the nation primary is new hampshire. and the voting begins at midnight tonight in the east. we have two key players on the show. both need remarkable results in this state. senator elizabeth warren and andrew yang. warren needs to justify considered in the top tier. yang needs to justify staying in the race. we also have the governor of the granite state, chris sununu. he is the president's top voice there. he is here to make the case and to be tested. so what do you say?
6:01 pm
let's get after it. >> all right, the good news is, we have no app failures to worry about. this is a direct primary, but andrew yang says iowa and its problems was such a big setback, he may be just hours from knowing the fate of his campaign. he warned supporters in an email that in part read, the confusion and failure to see results for days has hurt our narrative and our fund-raiser. if we miss this fund-raising goal in new hampshire, i don't believe we can continue contending at the same level. now, yang, as you may recall, made it back on to the debate stage friday night, made his points, got some good responses from at least the pundits. now, he joins us here from new hampshire. welcome back to prime-time. >> it's great to be here, chris. thanks for having me. >> so, first question. you pulling a booker?
6:02 pm
is this a really dire situation we're talking about or is this a way to make a nice appeal to get some money in the last minute? >> well, you can see, the energy here in new hampshire is rising. the crowds are bigger and more enthusiastic than ever. we think we're positioned to have a great night tomorrow night, right here in new hampshire. >> i like that you've learned how to duck questions in your young political career. are you really in dire straits with fund-raising? could tomorrow really be the end for you? >> well, we need to have a great result tomorrow night. but i think we're in position to do just that. new hampshire has always been the most natural home for my campaign. the voters here are very independent-minded. thal make up their own determination as to who they want to push forward. and we think that we're going to have a great night tomorrow night. >> i have found you to be a great source, as kind of an equal tell on our political process. what do you think your problem has been, up to this point, in not getting more traction? what have you learned about this process that you didn't know and
6:03 pm
disappoints you? >> well, certainly, with a kr s crystal ball, we might not have invested as much energy in iowa. because i think that lack of clarity afterwards hurt every candidate. and we put a lot of energy there. but we're excited about being here in new hampshire. i think in my case, there are many, many voters who have told us that they're excited about a number of candidates. we just have to make the case that i'm the candidate with the clearest vision for the future. and i'm the best position to beat donald trump in the fall. >> a couple points of understanding. you said in the debate last friday that elizabeth warren was talking about laws that would make a difference in terms of social justice. and you said something that's gotten a good amount of traction. you said, you know, we're not a few laws away from fix iing socl justice in this country. what did you mean? >> if you look at the social economic inequitiy ies between
6:04 pm
communities of color, right now black americans have only 10% of the household net worth of white americans. and it's very hard to pass a few laws that are going to somehow balance that out and try to eliminate discrimination in various structures. the most straightforward ways we can even things out is by putting money into the hands of every american family, which would have a greater impact on people who need it more and have less access to capital resources and opportunity right now, which unfortunately is many communities of color right now in this country. >> so your point wasn't, laws don't work, it was, you need more than laws. understood. let me ask you something about bloomberg. do you believe that there is a lesson in what we're seeing with bloomberg's move up through the polls that renowneds to your own benefit? >> the listen if you spend several hundred million on tv ads in places you're unopposed, you might see some poll numbers rise. i don't think that's new to anyone. the question really is, what are the limits to what money can do
6:05 pm
in this race? i think that there's a certain point when advertising becomes more irritating than informative and eventually he'll find that spending money is like pushing on a string. we haven't hit that point yet, but i think that point is right around the corner. >> steyer is spending a lot of money. he's not getting the movement that bloomberg is. their spend is, you know, pretty close. do you think it's unfair to call bloomberg just a checkbook? >> well, mike certainly has a really good story. he was a very strong mayor of new york city for a long time. and so he has a different story than tom does. i'm friendly with both of them. tom's a great man and a patriot and mike's a real thenauthentic leader. i think that mike's story translates better to many voters, because it feels much more pl political and something that they're familiar with. >> pause he's held office and steyer hasn't. you know, it's interesting, and the reason i bring it up is not to have you talk about somebody else the night before, you know,
6:06 pm
the primary starts, but couldn't you make the same argument to voters that bloomberg's making? yeah, you don't have as much money, but you've been successful in business, you understand dynamics that are outside government and how to get things done, and you don't really care to repeat the culture of leadership that they're used to. >> i think we need to focus on solving the problems that got donald trump elected in the first place. and democrats are making a mistake by acting like trump caused all of these problems. he's a symptom of a disease that has been building up in our communities for years. and my plans are the best approach to actually start curing the diseases that's been ravaging our communities, this disease of rampant inequality. this extreme winner-take-all economy that's becoming more extreme all the time, because technology is going to get more powerful and more capable in ways that most americans do not realize, and we have to get ahead of the curve rather than continue to fall further behind. >> biggest fear? >> sorry, what was that, chris?
6:07 pm
>> biggest fear for you for the american people? >> oh, my biggest fear is that we continue to play, i lose, you lose, i lose, you lose with our politics. meanwhile, the people lose. our communities lose, our families lose. there are many people here in new hampshire who do not feel like their family is being included in the 21st century economy and we cannot allow that to continue. that's my greatest fear, that we don't start including people in the unprecedented innovation and progress that we're making in some parts of the economy. >> biggest impact you think you've had on the race to this point? >> well, i'm happy to say that now many, many americans, a majority of young voters, a majority of people in iowa actually support universal basic income. my idea of a freedom dividend for all americans. five democratic candidates came out and support -- said they would support it or are open to exploring it. this idea is not going anywhere. i believe this campaign has helped accelerate the end of poverty in our country by years, maybe even generations.
6:08 pm
and that's something that's going to stand the test of time. >> well, listen, we wish all candidates good luck, as long as they're acting in good faith. i add an extra layer of hope for you, because you are talking about things in ways that we are not used to hearing in our politics. democratic or republican. and i think it's good for the debate, i think you're good for the debate. it's been a pleasure getting to know you. you're the only guy in the race i've never heard anyone trash. and that is a rare -- that is a rare credential these days, mr. yang. >> wow. well, thank you so much, chris. the yang gang here in new hampshire is really excited! we're going to have a great night tomorrow night. >> oh, look at this! oh, with those edgy upper cuts. all right! thank you very much. >> thank you, chris. >> all right, andrew yang. the yang gang behind him. i'll tell you what, you've got to give him points for crowd control, also. i thought he was in a different room because they were so quiet. they were just being respectful.
6:09 pm
that is the depth of devotion that they have to andrew yang. we'll see how it serves him in this all-important first primary. so, if yang's goal is to survive, senator elizabeth warren wants to thrive. she wants to prove that she should be the queen over all the bees. the bernie, the biden, the buttigieg, the bloomberg. but first, a reason that new hampshire matters to democrats that i don't think you've heard enough about. the wizard of oz is going to take us inside a very, very important reality, next. with advil, you have power over pain, so the whole world looks different. the unbeatable strength of advil. what pain?
6:10 pm
t-mobile has the first and only, nationwide 5g network. and with it, you can shape the future. we've invested 30 billion dollars and built our new 5g network for businesses like yours. while some 5g signals only go a few blocks, t-mobile 5g goes for miles. no other 5g signal goes farther or is more reliable in business. tomorrow is in your hands. partner with t-mobile for business today. a clear plan for retirement to help cover the essentials, as well as all the things you want to do. because when you have a retirement partner who gives you clarity at every step, there's nothing to stop you from moving forward. othroughout the country for the past twelve years,p, mr. michael bloomberg is here. vo: leadership in action. mayor bloomberg and president obama worked together in the fight for gun safety laws, to improve education, and to develop innovative ways to help teens gain the skills needed to find good jobs.
6:11 pm
obama: at a time when washington is divided in old ideological battles he shows us what can be achieved when we bring people together to seek pragmatic solutions. bloomberg: i'm mike bloomberg and i approve this message. ♪[ siren ] & doug give me your hand! i can save you... lots of money with liberty mutual! we customize your car insurance so you only pay for what you need! only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪
6:12 pm
6:13 pm
all right. the show is packed with people who matter tonight. we just had andrew yang. he has to do well in new hampshire or he thinks he has campaign may not survive. senator elizabeth warren who is getting seated right now. she's been at the top tier of the ticket. this state is a big deal for her, for a lot of reasons. but one of them, i'm about to tell you right now, and that you should give this some consideration and a lot of people aren't talking about it. did you know that no candidate has ever won their party nomination without placing first or second in either new hampshire or at the iowa caucuses? so what does that mean in new hampshire and based on which
6:14 pm
candidate? let's discuss with the whiz. did i get the first part right? >> yes, you good basically everything in there correctly and you can see right here, christopher. take a look at this. this is the nominee's standing in the new hampshire primary, among democrats, no incumbent running, makes the list a little bit shorter. look at all of this, all the democratic nominees since '72 and where they finished in the new hampshire primaries. a lot of firsts and a lot of seconds down here. the fact is, at least going through history, unless you finished first or second in new hampshire primary, your bid goes adios ameeigos, see you later. >> and you will not say this is an aberration because there are more candidates? >> no, there have been plenty of years in which a lot of candidates have run, harder, '76, there were a ton of candidates. he finished first in that primary. the fact is, historically speaking, you've got to finish either first or second in new hampshire, and that's why storm's stakes are so important. >> give me more. >> i'll give you more.
6:15 pm
let me give you a reason to take back what we said. >> i said it might be reason you went all bad on me. >> we have to have a little contention here. let's go. >> look, here's new hampshire's demographics. white african-american americans and hispanic, compare that nationally with democrats. not representative, at all. nationally, whites just make up 57% of potential democratic primaries, nationwide. african-americans make up 20%, just 1% of new hampshire. and what have we seen so far this year? big divides in the democratic party by race, with african-americans overwhelmingly supporting joe biden versus white voters have been much more mellow on him. so, for me, new hampshire is important, but if there's one year that's going to break the mold, perhaps it's this year. >> tell me more. >> i'll tell you more. let's take a look at the trend line going on in new hampshire right now. i think this is rather important. this is the average from a week ago, friday, and now. a few key things here. number one, look how steady bernie sanders is at the top.
6:16 pm
>> who are you? >> who am i? goof to be on your program. 26, 26, 27 for bernie sanders. another interesting trend line, look at joe biden. a week ago before iowa, he was at 19%. but look now, 13 and 13. here's who got into that base. pete buttigieg was at just 12% before iowa. then shot up to 22. look how he's sort of leveled off here in the last -- >> let's be fair, to bernie and buttigieg, who knows how their numbers would have done they had gotten the full benefit of the returns spot-on. and one of them was declared the winner. obviously, look, bernie is just strong. he's at the top of the ticket. he's almost getting ignored because he's been so consistently strong. that's not fair. who knows what pete would have done if he had been the clear winner in iowa that night. >> he could have even gone higher -- >> we'll never know. >> we will never know. the fact is, tomorrow's a primary so we don't have to worry about the votes being counted in a good way. >> i feel bad, i'm taking this back. it's not like you're sony or
6:17 pm
nike or zenith. harry entin, thank you very much. >> be well. >> all right. we talked about warren. now we want to get to talk to the senator. that's the key on this show. why should she be the first choice and why is she the best choice for her party tonight in new hampshire and overall, next! . but when we realized she was battling sensitive skin, we switched to tide pods free & gentle. it's gentle on her skin, and dermatologist recommended. tide free & gentle. safe for skin with psoriasis and eczema.
6:18 pm
6:19 pm
6:20 pm
6:21 pm
all right. first fact. candidates from massachusetts, which is obviously where senator elizabeth warren is from, they've done very well in new hampshire when running for president. however, there's a little bit of an asterisk this year. why? because there's another senator from a neighboring state of vermont who won there in 2016 and is ahead in the polls tonight. but elizabeth warren is still swinging for the fences can just landed some shot on team trump.
6:22 pm
a voter asked her what she tells her golden retriever about a possible running mate. listen to the answer. >> do you whisper into bailey's ear, who is going to be my mike pence? who is going to look at me with adoring eyes every time i stand up, or are you -- >> i already have a dog. >> all right, let's bring the senator in. welcome to your first appearance on prime-time. that was some shot to the is not locker you just gave mike pence there. was that something that you had thought might come your way or what were you delivering to the crowd? >> no, no, i had not expected the question, but it seemed like the right answer at the time. adoring eyes, that's why i have a dog. that's not what a vice president should be all about. >> what would you want in a running mate?
6:23 pm
>> i want a partner in the fight, you know, we've got a lot that we need to do in this country. we've got a government that's been working great for giant corporations, for billionaires, for lobbyists. we've got to turn that around. and that means we've got a lot of problems that we've got to fix. those at the top need to pay a little more in taxes. that's why i've been pushing a 2 cent wealth tax. and it means that we can do things like provide universal child care and cancel student loan debts for 34 million americans. we can expand social security payments by $200 a month, just by asking the top 2% to pay a little more. there's a lot of work to be done. we've got work on climate, we've got work on gun safety. i want a partner in the fight. that's what i'm looking for. . >> what's the counternarrative from those, let's say they're open minded, independent, could go left or right, and they say, boy, these democrats, boy, they can't take my money fast enough. tax and spend, tax and spend. this president cut taxes. what's the counter?
6:24 pm
>> oh, come on. look at what's going on right now. amazon, eli lilly, halliburton. they all declared pbillions of dollars in profits last year. you know how much they paid in taxes? zero. now, somebody's got to pay to keep this country going. and you know who it is? it's hard-working families. it's american's middle class, america's working class, america's working poor are paying the actual taxes to get this going. and look, i was born and raised in oklahoma. you have three older brothers, they're all stick back in oklahoma. one's a democrat, two are republicans. and when they hear about what amazon and halliburton, eli lilly, all these other giant corporations have been up to, they get it. they're getting the short end of the stick and they don't like it. so i say it's time to make those guys pay something to keep this country going. and it's also time to ask the
6:25 pm
wealthiest, richest families in america, the top 0.1%, pitch in 2 cents so we can provide for the next generation of kids, so they don't all have to get crushed by student loan debt to be able to go to school. so when a baby comes, a mama can still finish her education, or a mama and daddy can both go to work if they want to. these are investments that we should be making in the next generation. and here's the deal. even you don't have kids, even if you don't like kids, they're the right investments to make to build our economy. not trickle down from rich people. we've had 40 years of that and it has nearly destroyed america's middle class, working class families. >> i get the argument. >> we need to build this economy from the grassroots up. >> i get the argument. now. bernie sanders and -- >> good! >> -- you have been dealing with being in somewhat of the same lane. new hampshire is a unique lens
6:26 pm
on this. yes, he won the last time. yes, he's also a senator from a neighboring state. but when you look at the numbers from new hampshire, what mattered in the last race with hillary clinton, trust was a big issue. what do you say to the voters of new hampshire that -- forget about gender. i'm not hillary clinton. i can be trusted to the extent that she wasn't in that state. and it comes up in the metric. what do you say to the voters there about why you can be trusted to deliver as well or better than bernie sanders? >> look, i've been fighting for working families all of my life. i grew up on the ragged edge of the middle class. my daddy ended up as a janitor. my mom worked a minimum-wage job at sears. i wanted to be a public schoolteacher and that was out of reach for us, because there was no way to pay for college. ultimately, i got my big break in life because of a commuter college that cost $50 a semester. i believe in working hard and i
6:27 pm
believe in a government that helps expand opportunities for our kids. and that opportunity is just not out there for our kids today. so i spent most of my life as a teacher. first as a special education teacher and then as a teacher in law school. i didn't start dreaming about being a politician. that wasn't -- that wasn't in my plan. but at the end of the day, back after the financial crash, the fight came to my door. and instead of backing off, i stepped up. i fought for a consumer financial protection bureau, that has now returned more than 12 billion directly to families that banks cheated. i stood up to the big banks. got the ceo of wells fargo, i lit him up pbad enough that the guy got fired. i got in a senate race against an incumbent republican, who was just going down to washington and voting dpeagainst the inters of hard-working people -- >> i'm not laughing at your answer, by the way, just so you know. >> i know you're not. >> it was just interesting to
6:28 pm
hear you say that you lit somebody up. i actually met you and learned about your work during the financial crisis when i was at abc news. i reached out to you for perspective on what was going on with the government program. all right. so now there's a voter in new hampshire, and they say, boy, you know what? i like this warren. she's smart. she's got a plan for everything. >> good! >> but i've got to decide between her and sanders. sanders has never changed. that man is authentic as he is anything else. and warren has changed a little bit. the medicare plan changed, the timing, the mechanism, how to play for it. bernie's more consistent. i've got to go for bernie. how do you convince him? >> look, look, all i can say -- i'm not going to criticize anybody else, but all i can say is, i'm going to deliver results. i got a consumer bureau passed into law at a time when everybody said it just can't done. but i got it done. i've gotten about a dozen bills passed since donald trump has been elected, including one
6:29 pm
that's going to help the 40 million people across this cup who have hearing loss, but can't afford to get hearing aids. so i had a plan for an over-the-counter bill, got it all the way through, and next year people will be able to get hearing aids across the country. >> and somewhere, senator sanders is yelling at you, senator, he's yelling, i wrote the damned bill! can i get the results, too! what's the difference? >> so, i've done it. i've actually done it, with an agency, i've done it with bills in congress. and look, my view on this is, we've got to do on health care the most help for the most people as quickly as possible. last year 36 million americans couldn't afford to get a prescription filled. do you know what that means? they were scared enough or sick enough to go to the doctor. the doctor looked at it and said, this is serious enough to write a prescription. they walked out with that prescription and they said, it's
6:30 pm
either that or groceries. that would pay the rent on time, and they threw the prescription away. so here's how i see this. i'm going to start my protecting the affordable care act on the first day, from the sabotage of the trump administration. but you know what else i'm going to do? i'm going to use the power that a president has, all by herself, and i'm going to lower the cost of insulin, of epipens, hiv/aids drugs, commonly used prescription drugs. >> you don't think bernie can do the same thing on day one? >> i'm going to use -- look, i'm going to use all the tools. i have worked in an administration, i spent a year setting up an agency. i'm going to use the tools of our agencies. i'm going to use the tools that a president has by herself. and i'm going to take the fight straight to congress. we've got to attack the influence of money, the corruption that depogoes on eve day. >> why you and not senator sanders or buttigieg? why you and not them?
6:31 pm
i know you don't want to trash anybody. it's very admirable. except mike pence. but the idea is it's either you -- they're going into the voting booth. they're going to put for you or for sanders. why you and not sanders? >> i've got the best chance to beat donald trump. and i've got the best chance to beat donald trump, because i can bring our party together. i've got the best chance to beat donald trump, because i run on core democratic ideas and values that every democrat can get behind. every one in our party can and should get behind. and that, also, pull in republicans and independents. that is how i'm going to beat donald trump. and that should be our number one job come november. >> if it's not you, how concerned are you that the party does not entirely get behind who the nominee is? >> look, we cannot have a repeat of 2016. we just can't do that, going into this election.
6:32 pm
we can't have democrats firing at democrats or democrats mad at other democrats. we have got to pull together as a party, because we've got to beat donald trump. and we've got to pull together as a party, because understand, a country that elects a man like donald trump is a country that has serious problems. and we've got to address those problems. we can't just nibble around the edges of them. we've got to take them head-on. and the only way we're going to do that is to have a president who understands what those problems are, has laid out plans to get it done, and then is willing to get out there and fight for it. >> senator warren, i wish you good luck, as we do all candidates who act in good faith. good luck going forward. >> thank you. >> all right. so you heard from yang. he's desperate to stay in the race. you heard from warren. she needs to be seen as the top tier after new hampshire. so now, we have the governor of new hampshire.
6:33 pm
chris sununu. i have to tell you, i've been around him, watched him work for his state. he does not act the way we see dr donald trump act on a regular basis, but he's here to argue why the president should win his state in the general election. i argue, not an easy case to make. so let's see how he does it. let's get after it right after this. ♪ ♪ ♪
6:34 pm
nyquil severe gives you powerful relief for your worst cold and flu symptoms, on sunday night and every night. nyquil severe. the nightime, sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching, stuffy head, best sleep with a cold, medicine. if you have moderate to severe psoriasis, little things can become your big moment. that's why there's otezla. otezla is not a cream. it's a pill that treats plaque psoriasis differently. with otezla, 75% clearer skin is achievable. don't use if you're allergic to otezla. it may cause severe diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting. otezla is associated... ...with an increased risk of depression. tell your doctor if you have a history of depression... ...or suicidal thoughts or if these feelings develop.
6:35 pm
some people taking otezla reported weight loss. your doctor should monitor your weight and may stop treatment. upper respiratory tract infection and headache may occur. tell your doctor about your medicines, and if you're pregnant or planning to be. otezla. show more of you. you know what's good about this? your sign's pointing at my sign, so people are gonna look at my sign. switch to progressive and you can save hundreds. you know, like the sign says.
6:36 pm
while the middle-class continues to struggle. that's what happens when billionaires are able to control the political system. our campaign is funded by the working people of this country, and those are the people that i will represent. no more tax breaks for billionaires. we are going to guarantee health care to all people and create up to 20 million good paying jobs to save this planet. i'm bernie sanders and i approve this message because we need an economy that works for all of us, not just wealthy campaign contributors.
6:37 pm
president trump on the campaign trail, making the case now to new hampshire voters on why they should keep him in the white house. you'll remember, he was bested by hillary clinton in new hampshire in 2016. the governor of the granite state predicts trump will win this time in november. that is governor chris sununu. dpr gov, good to have you. i want the audience to know, if they didn't see the documentary, i advocated for the work he was doing to help with the opioid crisis, which is horrible in new hampshire for a whole host of reasons that have nothing to do with the governor, necessarily. but we know each other, we worked on that. so, now let me test you on something else. so the president said something tonight that i believe you would never say. let me play it for the audience.
6:38 pm
>> remember last time we won the primary tremendously? we should have won the election, but they had buses being shipped up from massachusetts. hundreds and hundreds of buses. and it was very, very close, even though they did, but this year, you know, we have a great governor, governor sununu, great governor, governor chris. >> i know you're not going to disagree with the last part, because he's saying you're a great governor. you've talked a little bit about this, but not like the president. "the boston globe," politico, this has been debunked. it's put under the same category of the 2 million people who he says voted illegally in california. are you worried about staking your reputation on a president that does not tell the truth, like we just saw? >> no, no. look, at the end of the day, what you're seeing here in new hampshire a lot of economic prosperity, which he deserves a lot of credit for, a lot of economic freedom, a lot of individual liberty. a lot of his successes are
6:39 pm
translating to a lot of success for our citizens. at a very localized level. not because of big kbogovernmen we're going to solve all your problems and tax you. it's a very different mentality. and that live free or die spirit really translates well with a candidate and president like donald trump that has brought a lot of success here. at the end of the day, people are going to vote in the interests of themselves and their community. and that's economic prosperity. it's why we have some of the -- we have the lowest poverty rate in the country. some of the highst waest wage. these are things that really drive people. >> no question. people vote on their wallet and they should. they've got to take care of their households. that's a specific concern. can't argue dpens thagainst tha. what's been going on in the economy has been going on for a long time. this is a decade-plus expansion. my argument is this. you could get a tax cut and you could get regulatory changes from any republican. it would been an anathema for
6:40 pm
them not to do it, actually. but when it comes to what else you get with this president, that is not chris sununu, in fact, no sununu that i've ever met saying he's going to put people in cages because he likes the message of harshness. going after trade imbalances by putting tariffs on that you know hurt consumers here. these are not conservative values. he does not talk to people or about people in a way that you ever have in your campaign. you're endorsing the way he speaks, not just the policies. are you okay with that? >> well, look, we have very different styles. i don't think anybody has the same style as the president. >> it's not a style, it's not a style. when you put kids in cages, it's not a style. when you endorse the policies -- >> but look -- >> he insists things that you would never say. you would never say it because you would never be able to walk back in your own parent's house. but he says it andier owning it by endorsing him. that's my argument. >> no, that's absolutely -- no, that's absolutely not true.
6:41 pm
donald trump does not define chris sununu or even define the republican party. right? one person, one point in time, one event does not define the party and where we need to go as a country. this election and what you're looking at republicans and democrats, whatever candidates you want to put up there, the president against whatever candidate, are you going to believe that it's a pig government, big system that is going to solve all your problems? government is not here to solve your problems. that's why democrat connects with folks. donald tru government is here to create doors of opportunity, in your kids, your businesses, whatever it might be. and it's up to you to walk through that door. that's the opportunity that government has to create pros r prosperity and chances, whether it's mental health, opioids, whatever it might be. it's not a one-size-fits-all government system. and at the end of the day, it's about results. do i like the way the president talks all the time? absolutely not. i don't like how he says certain things and the hyperbole and the vulgar language he uses, of course not. but this is about where we're going to go.
6:42 pm
are we going to back a socialist or american democracy and people having their own say and the chaps to guide their own path forward. >> i get the fear of socialism, i get why that's working, i get that that's going to be about definitions. but i have to argue with you, governor, it's deeper than what you're suggesting right now. when he called new hampshire a drug-infested den. you've got a big problem with opioids that is disproportionate. it's one of the highest in the country, depending on the metric, the highest. it's not because new hampshire sucks. it's not because they're bad people there. it's not the way it should be defined and that's the pass you're giving him. i know you went after him when he said it, governor. but i'm saying, he does that all the time to whomever he opposes. and you say you don't want a socialist, but okay with an autocrat who says, don't believe the free press, the fbi is out to get you, you can't trust any of the institutions of government, unless they agree with me. these are things that you would never say, that you would never
6:43 pm
allow in an opponent and you would never endorse and yet you're endorsing the president. i don't get how you accept that part of it? >> government has to be about results. it has to have accountability. the days of we're just going to say this and not do anything. we're going to say we're going to fight regulatory reform, but not do it. we have presidents who say they're going to fight for better deals overseas and never do it. this president gets results. >> he got the usmca. >> which is wonderful. >> i'm not arguing the policy. that's for politicians to do. he got it done. >> that's a big win. >> but what he's been doing with trade, republicans hate for a reason, because of tariff kickback. and you can't look at what's happening with the farmers, and you can't look at what's happening in your own state and say, oh, we were wrong about tariffs, turns out it's okay, we're doing all right. you're not doing all right because of that policy. but that's just policy. >> but you know as well as anybody, as the deals become finalized, the tariffs go down. you use tariffs as the leverage. i don't like it, the businesses don't like it, but he's using them as leverage to get better deals. whether it's in china, a new
6:44 pm
multilateral deal in europe or asia or whatever it might be. and the usmca is a good example of that. the deal got ratified, the tariffs are moving the way we want them to move and the trade is happening better now than ever before. obama could have done it. he chose not to. >> that's fair criticism on policy. but i'm just saying that a president isn't just their policies. and if you're going to talk about results, again, look at yourself, governor. you worked across the isle to get granite hammer done. it's this huge thing they had to figure out in new hampshire because this drug is killing their communities. uniquely so for a whole bunch of reasons. i did a documentary on it. you have to go watch. you reached across the aisle, treated your oppositions with decency. you talked about addicts decency. you wouldn't call a traumatic brain injury a headache. you wouldn't call addiction a weakness a character flaw. that's what this president does. it's not just his policies. and i just think it's an interesting situation to have
6:45 pm
someone who stakes their political reputation on how they do the job like you do, governor, and the family you come from, which i respect, because i know what was put into you, this president checks none of the boxes. he could never be a sununu. how do you endorse how he is? not just what he does. >> he is definitely not a sununu. again, you've got to call the balls and strikes like you see them. and to translate a little bit into what we're seeing with the first of the nation, that's why bernie sanders, as socialist as he might be, is going to do well in new hampshire. because what you see is what you get every time. a little bit what you were discussing with elizabeth warren earlier. we may not love the policy, but a lot of the democrats say, he doesn't change, it's what you see is what you get. it's why donald trump does well here. you might not like how he talks and some of the volatile, that vitriol that comes out sometimes, but at the end of the day, we have to all be about results. and you've got to call him on that. when he said new hampshire was a
6:46 pm
drug-infested den, i called him within a half hour and said, you can't say that. he's making investments in mental health, early childhood education, and most importantly, the economy. business. i find it comical when these democrats say they're going to drive a better economy. obama was very clear. he said, you can't see gdp of 3 and 4%. >> yet, he doesn't have gdp of3# to 4%. his average is almost identical to what the last three years of obama was. that's a conversation for another day. governor, i wanted to get you on record about with the big primary in your state, where you want it to be. you know you're welcome back here to argue the case for this president on the economy wherever you want. ii iswish you well. >> thank you, sir. thank you, guys. >> governor chris sununu, thank you. no matter who wins on the democratic side in new hampshire, we're going to learn something after this primary that i argue to you matters as much as whatever the standings are. this is what you should be
6:47 pm
watching fortune anything else. i'll tell you, next. and up, t-mobile has a plan designed just for you. and, for a limited time only, we're making it an even better deal. now you can get two lines for only $55. that includes unlimited talk, text and data. with no annual service contracts. it also includes talk, text and data when traveling in mexico and canada. so if you're 55 and up, you can now get two lines for only $55. because at t-mobile, we have a plan designed just for you. not anymore. leaving residue? new fructis invisible dry shampoo. powered by oil-absorbing rice starch. invisible on hair. no residue. just non-stop refreshed hair for 24 hours. new fructis invisible dry shampoo. by garnier, naturally! alice loves the scent of gain so much, she wished there was a way to make it last longer. say hello to your fairy godmother alice. and long-lasting gain scent beads. part of the irresistible scent collection from gain!
6:48 pm
othroughout the country for the past twelve years, mr. michael bloomberg is here. vo: leadership in action. mayor bloomberg and president obama worked together in the fight for gun safety laws, to improve education, and to develop innovative ways to help teens gain the skills needed to find good jobs. obama: at a time when washington is divided in old ideological battles he shows us what can be achieved when we bring people together to seek pragmatic solutions. bloomberg: i'm mike bloomberg and i approve this message.
6:49 pm
when i needed to create a better visitor experience. improve our workflow. attract new customers. that's when fastsigns recommended fleet graphics yeah, and now business is rolling in. get started at fastsigns.com
6:50 pm
whoh no, that looks grossit. what is that?. you gotta try it, it's terrible. i don't wanna tray it if it's terrible. it's like mango chutney and burnt hair. no thank you, i have a very sensitive palate. just try it! hey guys, i think we should hurry up. if you taste something bad, you want someone else to try it. it's what you do. i can't get it out of my mouth! if you want to save fifteen percent or more on car insurance, you switch to geico. it's what you do. dog, dog, dog.
6:51 pm
looking good for sanders in new hampshire. this is almost all good news. why almost? media talking, shows solid place in the top of the pack for now at least. keeps the donors coming. why almost? is that a media hedge. it isn't. here's why. sanders is expected to win. but the expectation is that it will be with a relatively low percentage of the vote. under 30%. only one democrat in recent history has won new hampshire with that small a number. back to jimmy carter. there's a second almost here. as with iowa, the bet on bernie is he can bring in a will the of first time votes. who sat out last time. and young voters.
6:52 pm
>> our job together is to create the highest turn out in the history of iowa caucus. >> he says it all the time. i see online. supporters. i didn't see you in line in iowa. young voters didn't come out in big numbers and it doesn't look like it will happen in new hampshire. why does this matter? democrats the general theory is look at 2018. the midterm the turn out. they're coming this time. people are coming out. the iowa numbers were about where they were in 2016. and nowhere near where they were in 2008. obviously when obama was making a push. the push back argument is what? such a big field. is this fair is this apples to apples? republicans had a huge field in 2016. trump broke 30% anyway.
6:53 pm
how? by engaging a specific group of fiercely loyal supporters and playing to division and anger. now, can sanders match that? he's not an anger guy or demagogue. he has an intense base. the people who voted for him in iowa backed him before. speaks a lot to loyalty and enthusiasm and inspired. he only won 7% of the voters in iowa. now why 7%? if you picked hilary the last time. only 7% of those voters picked bernie sanders this time. so what does that mean? that means there's a question about whether or not sanders can expand his base. by the way it's the same problem for the president. you can only get so many people by pushing division and saying you're against what they're
6:54 pm
against. here's the question for democrats now. in a year when the over riding number one objective of the democrats is get rid of the president. is the answer a battle of base vs. base or is it a different calculus. should they look for a candidate who can make case across the lines? that's the question. it takes you to electable. that's what every democrat is trying to sell you on. let's look in the next segment. i have a bolo. be on the lookout for something about electability we maybe about to learn.
6:55 pm
you've been hearing a lot about 5g. but there's 5g... and then there's verizon 5g. we're building the most powerful 5g experience for america. it's more than 10x faster than some other 5g networks. and it's rolling out in cities across the country so people can experience speeds that ultra wideband can deliver. 1.7 gigs here in houston. 1.8 gigs here in frigid omaha. almost 2 gigs here in los angeles. that's outrageous! it's like an eight-lane highway compared to a two-lane dirt road. ♪ 100% online car buying. carvana's had a lot of firsts. car vending machines. and now, putting you in control of your financing. at carvana, get personalized terms, browse for cars that fit your budget, then customize your down payment and monthly payment. and these aren't made-up numbers. it's what you'll really pay, right down to the penny. whether you're shopping or just looking. it only takes a few seconds, and it won't affect your credit score. finally! a totally different way to finance your ride. only from carvana. the new way to buy a car.
6:56 pm
fred would do anything for his daughter! even being the back half of a unicorn. fortunately, the front half washed his shirt with gain. ahhhhhhh. the irresistible scent of gain.
6:57 pm
i need all the breaks, that i can get. at liberty butchumal- cut. liberty biberty- cut. we'll dub it. liberty mutual customizes your car insurance so you only pay for what you need. only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪
6:58 pm
[ fast-paced drumming ] all right. here's the bolo. be on the lookout. bloomberg may not just be all
6:59 pm
about the money. why? latest poll he's in third place 15%. right behind biden and sanders. biden for his part insists the contest will shift. it will shift in his favor when he gets the more diverse states. nevada and south carolina. that said, look at bloomberg support among black voters. it jumped from 8% last month to 22%. this month. biden support dropped by half. this poll has ha new take on electability as well. that used to be biden's mainstay. in in this one poll, bloomberg and sanders have just as good a chance or better as biden. keep watching numbers this party is undecided. "cnn tonight" is coming up from new hampshire right now. don couldn't get enough of the weather i assume. or did something else take you to new hampshire? >> well, what you were just
7:00 pm
talking about. we'll talk to joe biden. and talk about that whole electability thing. that was his thing among his supporters and among the democratic party. he is the one that is has the most electability. there's a new poll out and booel see if that holds. plus we're getting down to the wire. we'll have the numbers live from new hampshire. i talked to biden. a very interesting interview. stick around and it will make news kp you'll be running it tomorrow night on the program. or counting the votes tomorrow night. >> it will be out of spite. you're at the right place talking to the right guy at the right time. i cannot wait to watch the interview especially tonight on the eve of the all important new hampshire primary. >> what's your bes best question? >> i won't say let's get after it. let's get to it. i have good questions. >> give

47 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on