Skip to main content

tv   Anderson Cooper 360  CNN  October 6, 2011 8:00pm-9:00pm EDT

8:00 pm
mother counts." >> we're an ad campaign and we're raising support for maternal health and we're trying to engage in new audiences to participate in this issue. i believe that every woman, every person can contribute in a meaningful way. >> christy, thank you. we appreciate it. >> thank you. thanks to you, as always. have a good night. "anderson cooper 360" starts right now. >> thank you. with the words of herman cain, some are contradicted by facts and some are barely tethered to reality others, though, have stirred up such couldn't skrers ree that it has stirred up the truth. last weekend he is tied with mitt romney for the republicans, a 12-point surge in just two
8:01 pm
weeks, not perhaps the making of our last president but it's a sign that her main cane is no longer on the fringe. tonight, we're taking what he says seriously, beginning with statements what he's said about islamic law in america. >> that is his attempt to gradually ease shareal law and muslim faith into our government. it does not belong in our government. >> now, her main cane back in herman cain talked about whether he would appoint a muslim to his cabinet and he said no and now to back up his talk about shareal law, it's influenced courts in new jersey and oklahoma. in new jersey, there was a domestic violence case.
8:02 pm
a woman was not granted a restraining order because of her muslim belief. voters in oklahoma banned voters from deciding cases but that was a preemptive move. and on top top of that, the first amendment prevents mixing any can church and state and the sharia law. >> it's just crazy. i'm tired of dealing with the crazies. >> chris christie in july. herman cain was not diswaited. here is he this weekend. >> call me crazy, but there have been too many examples where there have been push backs.
8:03 pm
>> you don't really mean that, do you? sharia law in the united states? >> some would allow it. i honestly believe that. i don't mind if he calls me crazy. >> you're sticking to it. >> i'm sticking to it. >> the facts simply don't prevent the movement towards this. cain is on record talking about planned parenthood and the abortion rights. what is worthy, though, is what he calls a plausible theory. back in 2004, he was running for senate in georgia. there was a campaign appearance in which he talked about systematically lower the rates
8:04 pm
and because they didn't want to deal with the problems of illiteracy and poverty. african-american womens have abortions at a much higher rate than latinos and african-americans, and back in the early 20th century, they could not find any allegation to back up cain's allegation. but he did say this about the founder. when margaret sanger started planned parenthood, the it was put these in black communities so they could kill black babies before they came into the world. the politico fact checked cain's history and they spoke to the leading buy og gra officer of the time. and the conclusion, fact, cain's claim is a ridiculous cynical play of the race card and we rate it pants on fire. >> but his own admission not having the facts doesn't always
8:05 pm
stop him from saying what is on his mind. here is he talking to the wall street journal about protesters in lower manhattan. >> i don't have facts to back this up, but i happen to believe that these demonstrations are planned and orchestrated to distract from the failed policies of the obama administration don't blame them. >> the invitation for a comment stands. ed rolands is a contributor and dana bash and gloria borrger. what does he have that romney doesn't? >> more than half of the supporters say that they are wrongly supporter and when you
8:06 pm
have that kind of enthusiasm behind you, it's important. romney supporters are not wildly mad about him. the good news, though, is that these tea party voters are very fickle. they were with perry and with michele bachmann, so you keep moving around so they look for the perfect candidate, which, by the way, they are probably not going to find. >> do you think that's true, that tee party voters are fickle and not settled on somebody? >> i don't think that they are settled on anyone yet. it's still a little bit early in the game and i want to see if some of these other candidates and i would assume that a bunch of other tee party activists do as well. there's a long way to go but i think they are looking to see where they stand on the issue and also how they hold up during national debates. that's what cost perry his immediate lead, was he didn't have a couple of debates and
8:07 pm
that cost him a little. so i don't know if there's so much they are fickle but still vetting at this point. >> can herman cain stand the vetting? i mean, as he now is much higher in the polls, he's going to get a lot more attention -- >> not if he says things like he said here on camera. the bottom line is, he has the attention of the american public and republican voters and they are going to pay close attention. as gloria said, there is a shift. michele bachmann became a front-runner for a while and said some things that split her back, we became a front-runner early in the debates and he made some mistakes and issues here and my sense at this point in time is this is a time that you can be fickle. you can like people but you're not going to vote for them. at the end of the day, the tea party element is not yet
8:08 pm
settled. >> mitt romney is not the front-runner. >> he's never been above 30%. he's been a solid -- and i've had pollsters tell me that he would never get above 30%. the key thing in three months after we go through states and delegates and my sense is, he's a strong candidate in new hampshire, he'll a strong candidate in nevada. depending on who wins there, florida may be the ultimate decider. all of those five states will be january. >> gloria, is there anything that romney can do that he already hasn't done? they have been running for so long. does he keep being the guy that he is now? >> well, he can't be the guy that he was the last time around. because the guy he was the last time around was the candidate people thought was inauthentic, who was a flip-flopper, kept changing positions to please different constituents. when you talk to advisers in his
8:09 pm
campaign, they say, we are not going to be that guy. we defend romney on health care in massachusetts. we didn't back off of it. we're looking towards the future to say it's not right for the nation as a whole and it was right for massachusetts at that time. the big thing they are going to do and have to continue to do is to make him look like the most plausible candidate to become president of the united states, that the republican party can feel. that's different from saying is he electable, because when you proclaim that you're electable to conservatives, it means that you're moderate trying to be conservative. so what he has to do is say, i'm the only plausible president standing here with these other candidates. >> dana, what do you think romney's biggest weakness is, from your vantage point? >> mitt romney. when he was governor of massachusetts, the state was 47th in terms of job creation.
8:10 pm
i don't get where this big job creation record comes from mitt romney and i cannot fathom the idea of any true conservative or republican, for that matter, who spent the last 2 1/2 years criticizing president obama's health care law, suddenly throwing their support towards the governor who helped bring in the blueprint for that it seems a complete betrayal for what they have been standing for. the number one threat to mitt romney is himself. rick perry is the second. i don't know that herman cain can go in a battle against mitt romney. he definitely has a lot of support against him right now. >>. >> the two campaigns are organized. perry and romney are getting
8:11 pm
organized. but the bottom line is, by the end of january, the battle is going to be down to two people that are serious and unless someone breaks through in iowa. >> and with regards to fundraising, it's -- cain doesn't have any kind of apparatus. the bottom line is, both romney and perry have gotten easy money. and it's going to take you 40, $50 million to get through this process. >> wow. >> and then the question for tea party supporters is going to be, are they still going to be looking for mr. perfect or are they going to rally behind him.
8:12 pm
>> on a political note, we'll have a chance to talk to all of the candidates and the western debate on the 18th, right here on cnn from vegas. let us know what you think. follow us on facebook. i'm anderson cooper and i'll be tweeting tonight. an airport that they want to build on an island in the middle of know where the company is paying for a fraction of it. guess who is paying for it? you are. tonight we're keeping them honest. and later, the trial of conrad murray. the former jackson lawyer talks with us. first, let's check in with isha. steve jobs left behind two families. the one that most people know about and the other that many people don't. tonight, we'll tell you about the daughter that was on early
8:13 pm
apple, the sister, a famous novelist that he only discovered later in life and the birth father that he discovered in later years. that and more when 360 continues. ♪ [ male announcer ] what is the future of fuel? the debate is over. ♪ lexus hybrid drive technology is designed to optimize any fuel source on the planet. even those we don't use yet. because when you pursue perfection, you don't just engineer a future-proof hybrid system. you engineer amazing.
8:14 pm
♪ the world needs more energy. where's it going to come from? ♪ that's why right here, in australia, chevron is building one of the biggest natural gas projects in the world. enough power for a city the size of singapore for 50 years. what's it going to do to the planet? natural gas is the cleanest conventional fuel there is. we've got to be smart about this. it's a smart way to go. ♪
8:15 pm
. keeping them honest, a
8:16 pm
fascinating report. lawmakers in both parties are talking about national sacrifice, deep cuts and spending that touches tens and millions of americans and are pushing money out the door for the benefit of very, very few. or in the story that we uncovered, a well-connected company. whatever you want, president obama just a few weeks ago said, enough is enough. >> no more earmarks. no more boone docks, no more bridges to nowhere. >> that was the address to congress last month. >> the american people see this earmark process as an example of a broken washington. >> on the earmark process after the corn husker kickback is
8:17 pm
driven by earmarks. >> it quacks like a duck, it's a duck, it's an earmark. >> they have become em ble mat particular of everything but an earmark. >> i stand against those earmarks. >> the bridge to nowhere like in alaska. you would think without all of the budget cutting, there wouldn't be anything left. we found a project out on the tip of alaska. you've been paying for it since the bush administration. the obama administration kept it going. both lawmakers voted to fund it. grar ree tuck man went there. >> reporter: calling this place remote is an understatement. but you, the american taxpayer, are kicking in almost $60 million to build an airport here. that's right. the money for an airport on a
8:18 pm
deserted island. >> the airport is slated to be done in august of 2012. >> reporter: the mayor on another island six miles away, the airport is being built for his town. you might wonder why the 100 citizens needed an airport pricing out at $77 million, most of it paid by you? >> we have over 1,000 people that we need to serve. >> reporter: indeed, in addition to his 100 residents, there are about 1100 other people who either come by boat or occasion occasional seaplane. everyone agrees that tried dent would be the biggest user of the airport. of the $77 million that the airport is expected to cost, trident will pay $1 million.
8:19 pm
>> in is something where you have a private company standing to get a driveway built for them by the taxpayer. and so this is an outrageous use of taxpayers' funds. >> trident's tax manager spoke with us. >> to our naked eye, you can't argue that. >> but trident says that they have built their own infrastructure and sees no reason to pay more than $1 million. >> this is not something being handed to us. it is something that we've earned through all of the contribution that we've made towards the tax dollars. we have paid millions, millions in tax dollars. >> reporter: many of the families who have been here for generations agree, saying that the plant has improved opportunities. and the small post office, a worker says he doesn't feel badly about tax workers footing
8:20 pm
most of the bill. >> we all pay taxes just like everybody else does. >> trident changed the lifestyle in acitat. >> reporter: and as we continued to talk to the mayor, the conversation struck a nerve. >> if trip dent wasn't here would you need the airport for 100 people? >> no. it doesn't make sense. no. >> so trident needed it far more than your people needed it? >> we are a community, gary. you need to keep your eyes on the camera. if you keep insisting on that, i'm going to have to keep talking to you, gary. >> reporter: but it's not only the airport funding that is getting negative attention. it's still not clear how the passengers would get there. in other parts of alaska, it doesn't always work. then there's the thought of a helicopter. that's always very expensive and it takes 20 or 40 minutes to get there and it's cold and
8:21 pm
uncomfortable. even when the airport is about to open, we don't know how people will get there. >> it took us more than two days to get there for the story. >> reporter: much of the time here, perhaps more than half the time, the waves are too high, winds too severe to get a boat close to the island where the airport is. today is one of those days. >> reporter: so we waited for the next day. the winds diminished, the skies cleared. we took a cargo boat and then is skip. but there was a 90-foot muddy cliff between us and the construction site. we had to scale it to see how much progress is being made. even the trident bosses have not made it to the site. about 25 construction workers are living on the island for up to two months at a time. gravel is being laid down at the runway. the airport is on schedule. this is your airport, american taxpayer. even though seeing it on tv is probably the closest that you
8:22 pm
will ever get to it. >> gary, wouldn't it have been easier or cheaper to build it on the island instead of six miles away. >> well, acutan is a beautiful place, anderson, but it's plopped in the middle of the atlantic ocean. 90% of it is mountainous. there's no room for an airport. so they put it on a neighboring island which is pretty flat but ironically, nobody lives on that flat island. >> i want to bring in steve ellis. mr. elvis, trident says that they deserved this airport basically on the taxpayers' dime. you disagree with that. why? >> well, clearly they are the major contributory. they bring more than 1,000 people every year to that island for seasonal work but are only kicking in $1 million and it's a little more than a driveway for
8:23 pm
trident seafoods. >> yp can't they continue to fly seaplanes like they do now? >> reporter: they can't fly on a day like there is today, where it's windy. so they don't fly very often. you can take ta boat ride, it's a four hour ride but it's very inconvenient. >> in terms of transportation challenges, there are significant challenges in certain places isn't that just because the part of doing business in alaska, that it's required? >> well, there is no doubt that alaska is a unique state and you can't get from place a to place b by road. but that said, we need to look at priorities because in this case it's really about
8:24 pm
benefiting this one business that's a big business. >> gary, thanks. >> appreciate it. coming up, tributes pour in for steve jobs. we take a look at something that you may not know about him. his birth. the remarkable story about his adoption, biological parents, and his sister that he meant when they were both adults. on the stand in the trial of the conrad murray trial, the defense grilling her about the work that she did at the scene of michael jackson's death. thanks. [ professor ] good morning students. today, we're gonna...
8:25 pm
is teaching my patients how to start taking insulin. and i've learned a lot from patients who use levemir flexpen. flexpen comes pre-filled with my long-acting insulin, and i dial the exact dose of insulin i need. my flexpen is discreet and doesn't need to be refrigerated. and flexpen goes wherever i go. levemir is a long-acting insulin used to control high blood sugar in adults and children with diabetes. do not take if your blood sugar is too low. tell your healthcare provider about all medicines you take and all of your medical conditions, including if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. the most common side effect is low blood sugar. other possible side effects include reactions at the injection site. get medical help right away if you experience serious allergic reactions, such as body rash, trouble with breathing, fast heartbeat or sweating.
8:26 pm
ask your healthcare provider about levemir flexpen today. learn more about the different insulins available in flexpen at myflexpen.com. flexpen, insulin delivery that goes with you.
8:27 pm
8:28 pm
up close tonight, tributes honoring iconic steve jobs who died yesterday at the age of 56. from new york, paris, hong kong, makeshift shrines and thank you notes and flags flying at half mass. no word whether there will be a public memorial but his family says that a website will be created for. tonight, we take a look at the beginning of his life which is just as remark blg as the company that he went on to build. bravo and brilliance and how he got there is a little told story. only on rare occasions did he speak about it at all. >> my biological mother was a
8:29 pm
young unwed graduate student. >> her name is joanne shibel. she fell in love with this man from syria. he was studying at the university of wisconsin and said, i was very much in love with joanne but sadly her father was a tyrant and forbad her to marry me. >> everything was all set for me to be adopted by a lawyer and his wife except that when i popped out, they decided at the last minute that they really wanted a girl. so my parents, who were on a waiting list, got a call in the middle of the night asking, we got an unexpected baby boy . do you want him? he said, of course.
8:30 pm
>> his father, raised them in a middle class home in california which became the technological empire. >> i was lucky. i found what i loved to do early in my life. >> three years later, jobs himself would have a child out of wedlock, a young girl named lisa. lisa is now an accomplished writer and in february 2008 wrote in vogue magazine what it was like growing up as jobs' daughter. in california my mother raised me mostly alone. we didn't have many things but she was warm and we were happy and my father was rich and renowned and as i got to know him, i went on vacations with him and then lived with him for a few years. i saw another more glamorous world. jobs met his sister when they were both adults and the two
8:31 pm
became very close. some speculated that a book, "a regular guy" was a book about him. six weeks ago jandali told the new york post, now i just live and hope that before it's too late he will reach out to me, because even to have one coffee with him, just once, would make me a very happy man. we don't know if jobs ever had that coffee with his biological father but we know that throughout his life, jobs was philosophical about his relationships and about life. >> you can't connect the dots looking forward. you can only connect them looking backwards. so you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. because believing that the dots will connect down the road will give you the confidence to follow your heart even when it leads you off the well-worn path.
8:32 pm
>> what a remarkable man. anderson, the wall street protests ended the 20th day today. protests are popping up in other u.s. cities. the president says it's indicative of the frustration that americans feel about the financial system. >> i think that it expresses the frustration that the american people feel. that we had the biggest financial crisis since the great depression, huge collateral damage all throughouthe country, all across main street, and yet you're still seeing the same folks who acted irresponsibly trying to fight efforts to crack down on abusive practices that got us into this problem in the first place. >> well, president obama also
8:33 pm
spoke about the jobs bill today sending a tough message to republicans. anything thinking about voting against the jobs bill needs to explain why. the $447 billion bill is due for a vote in the senate next week. congresswoman gabrielle giffords was out and about honoring the mark kelly's retirement from the navy. we follow now a few producers "the simpsons" saying that they are willing to take a pay cut to stay on the air. the studio wants them to take a 45% pay cut and rejected their offer to take a 30% cut instead. so, anderson, maybe, just maybe, you won't be crying into your pillow after all. donuts. >> oh, was that -- oh, okay. >> what? >> was "the simpsons" popular in
8:34 pm
britain? >> it was. >> did you call it the -- or something? >> no, it was still homer, lee, bart, and maggie. you've probably heard the expression. >> it's not the size of the dog but the size of the fight, look at this video he that has become a sensation on youtube. i keep thinking that he's going to eat that whole thing. >> yeah. >> the big dog's name is maggie. she's an english mastiff. maggie was top dog until duke came along. apparently they got along really well. >> the whole time maggie is thinking, to eat or not to eat.
8:35 pm
>> that is the question. still ahead, serious stuff. crime and punishment. the defense accusing an investigator of shoddy work. did they make a dent in the prosecution's case? plus, the judge who overturned amanda knox's conviction is speaking out. wait till you hear what is he saying tonight. a lot of times, things are right underneath our feet, and all we need to do is change the way we're thinking about them. a couple decades ago, we didn't even realize just how much natural gas was trapped in rocks thousands of feet below us. technology has made it possible to safely unlock this cleanly burning natural gas. this deposits can provide us with fuel for a hundred years, providing energy security and economic growth all across this country. it just takes somebody having the idea, and that's where the discovery comes from.
8:36 pm
is best absorbed in small continuous amounts. only one calcium supplement does that in one daily dose. citracal slow release... continuously releases calcium plus d for the efficient absorption my body needs. citracal.
8:37 pm
for the efficient absorption my body needs. [ woman announcing ]bsite there's an easier way. create your own small-business site... with intuit websites. choose a style, customize, publish and get found... from just $7.99 a month. get a 30-day free trial... at intuit.com.
8:38 pm
the defense came out
8:39 pm
swinging. their target, this woman, elissa fleak's testimony is critical to the case. they are building their case through autopsy and toxicology reports. today they talked about the type and levels of drugs, including propofol found in jackson's body. the prosecution is also relying on the evidence found in jackson's bedroom and that is what made elissa fleak a target. >> in the hours after jackson died, investigators scoured his room. elissa fleak found 12 bottles of the powerful bottles of propofol. she said one of them was empty. >> did you locate on the floor a 20 milliliter bottle of propofol? >> yes, i did. >> and where was that located?
8:40 pm
>> on the floor next to the left side of the bed. >> and was it empty? >> correct. >> dr. conrad murray denies matters of manslaughter. the prosecutors say that it led to jackson's death the bedroom looked more like a pharmacy. these are all the medications fleak says she discovered. she found an i.v. stand and syringe with pro ppofol. the defense tried to make her look sloppy and saying that she didn't even know it was there until two years after jackson ds death. >> in fact, the very first time
8:41 pm
you noted that there was a propofol bottle in an i.v. bag was the 29th of march, 2011. >> in case notes? >> yeah. isn't that right? >> yes. >> the prosecution's case hinges on the fact that propofol was inside the i.v. bag, which would mean jackson could not have taken the fatal dose himself as the defense suggests. the defense presses on, attempting to show that fleak found more syringes that she touched without wearing gloves. >> this syringe has your fingerprint on it, right? >> yes, it does. >> investigator fleak also took flack for not mentioning the i.v. bag in her original reports. >> would you consider that a mistake? >> i describe something in
8:42 pm
detail later on. i didn't include it in the general initial narrative. is it a mistake? i could have described it more in detail. >> you could have described it at all, right? >> in the initial report, yes. >> reporter: on wednesday, a forensic analyst examined conrad's iphone and michael jackson was found in a recording sounding slurring his words and spoke about his had love for children and his own unhappy childhood. and then suddenly silence and then dr. murray's voice.
8:43 pm
sleep. michael jackson wanted it so badly, it killed him. randi kaye, cnn, los angeles. >> so disturbing to hear those phone calls. digging deeper now, did the defense score points? joining us is tom mesereau. tom, thanks for being with us. the defense tried to prove that the coroner made mistakes during the investigation in michael jackson's room. do you think it was effective? >> i think he did a very good job. he was very effective and left no stone unturned. he was stern. no investigator is ever perfect. the question is, would some of these imperfections or mistakes or inconsistencies rise to a significant level. now, they may or may not. it depends on how they play into other evidence that comes up la later in the trial. right now i didn't hear anything that was fatal but you don't know how it's going to connect
8:44 pm
with other things later on. >> the investigator is saying, in the initial report in a more detailed report later on i did. >> that's right. and, of course, he's suggesting that it's suspicious, influenced by witnesses and that kind of thing. that's where he was coming from, in my opinion. >> one thing that we've been waiting to hear in this interview that murray gave to police in jackson's death, how significant do you think that piece of evidence is going to be? >> well, i'm very surprised, as a criminal defense lawyer, that his lawyers allowed him to go down to the police station two days after michael's death and gave a detailed statement. at that point they had no idea where this investigation was going. they had no idea what evidence was surfacing and how it could be interpreted and to let him go down there and lock himself into p precise statements may be a mistake. but we have to see exactly what he said. >> so your advice to a client in this situation is never to talk
8:45 pm
to the police or at least know what the police want to talk to you about? >> my advice to the client would be, not to talk to the police and to blame it on me. the reason would be, my attorney has instructed me not to speak. that never comes into a trial. it's a constitutional right that everyone has and that would have been the better way to go, i believe, but we'll never know until this trial ends. if it's an acquittal, the lawyer will look like a genius. so i just think it's a mistake, from everything that i know. >> the toxicologist that studied the drugs in jackson's body also testified today. is this the key scientific evidence that the prosecution needs for their case? >> well, it's certainly very key evidence. i mean, no one's disputing that michael was having propofol put into his system, at his home, under conditions less than desirable. no one is disputing how powerful of ann thet particular this is. the question is, who is responsible for him having propofol in that amount?
8:46 pm
the defense is trying to suggest that michael did it himself. i don't think it's going to fly at this point. he had propofol all over his body, his eyes, legs, pan kree yas, heart, bloodstream, his stomach. my understanding is that the amount in the stomach was not large and while stomach contents can diffuse into the blood, by the same token, what is in the blood can diffuse into the stomach so it may have come not from being ingested through his mouth. >> how much of a defense do you think the defense is going to call up? do you think they are going to call a lot of witnesses? >> i think they are going to have to. i don't think the cross-examination, while it's professionally done, to tilt the balance in their favor. they have to call experts to talk about the amount of propofol in their system and what would be deadly. if they can find experts to say what conrad murray did, met the standard of care, i would be very surprised, but you'll never know. very often you can find an
8:47 pm
expert if you pay them enough. >> but there is no way that they will put murray on the stand, though? >> i think there is a way. >> really? >> if they think they have nothing to lose, they may put him up there. if they thi if they think that they have established reasonable doubt, they won't put him up there because the cross-examination would be brutal, given the fact that the didn't call 911 right away, and tell the hospital things and the police things. >> when you hear michael jackson on that phone call, obviously in an altered state, well, make of it what you will, what do you hear? >> first of all, from a personal standpoint, i was his lead criminal defense attorney and the trial lasted almost five months. i have never heard michael jackson ever sound that way. he always was articulate,
8:48 pm
conscious, cooperative, and just the nicest person to deal with. it just sicken's me as horrifies me to hear him talking that way. but what also horrifies me is that his doctor would tape record it and the purpose for which i can't imagine it being a good one. the only reason that i can think of him recording that was either to keep it as a souvenir or to sell it and that just horrifies me to no end. >> or to play it for girlfriends or something? >> it's horrible. you know, who would help in the trial is a good question. because beauty is the eyes of the beholder. the prosecution is saying it's the desperate state that michael was in and needed help and didn't get it. the defense is saying that he's an addict that caused his own demise. i think it's likely going to help the prosecution more than the defense. >> the jury obviously will decide. tom, thanks for your expertise. >> thanks for having me. up next, why a doctor with
8:49 pm
suspected ties to bin laden is in pakistan. and amanda knocks's set her free is speaking. that doesn't mean he thinks she's innocent. [ male announcer ] for sore muscles use new bengay cold therapy, it's pro-cool technology releases armies of snowmen masseuse who cuddle up with your soreness and give out polar bear hugs. technology. [ male announcer ] new bengay cold therapy. the same technology used by physical therapists. go to bengay.com for a $3 coupon.
8:50 pm
with new extra-strength bayer advanced aspirin. it has microparticles, enters the bloodstream faster and rushes relief to the site of pain. it's clinically proven to relieve pain twice as fast. new bayer advanced aspirin. and here's what we did today: supported nearly 3 million steady jobs across our country... ... scientists, technicians, engineers, machinists... ... adding nearly 400 billion dollars to our economy... we're at work providing power to almost a quarter of our homes and businesses... ... and giving us cleaner rides to work and school... and tomorrow, we could do even more. cleaner, domestic, abundant and creating jobs now.
8:51 pm
we're america's natural gas. the smarter power, today. learn more at anga.us.
8:52 pm
coming up, rid dick cue -- pakistani officials say a doctor helping track down osama bin laden is being charged with treason. he set up a fake vaccination program to try to collect dna samples from those captured at bin laden's compound. the italian judge that
8:53 pm
presided over amanda knox's murder conviction says she may be guilty of the murder of meredith kercher but says that she had to be acquitted because of the evidence in the case. knox is back in seattle after her decision was overturned. espn drops hank williams junior's song. after he compared obama to adolf if hitler. anderson, you may be able to get away with gray hair but for those that don't like it, loreal may be developing a pill to help get away of the gray. let's take a picture of what you used to look like. >> thank you. appreciate that. yes. what was that? 20 years ago. i was the sixth member of the flock of seagulls.
8:54 pm
>> i think you look really cute. but would you have taken the bill? >> no, i probably wouldn't have. gosh darn it, i'm standing up for gray rights. >> i still think you look like a mouse see brown fox. that's what you would have been if you kept it like that. >> thanks. >> is that laughter? that was a compliment. don't get all sensitive. >> i'm calling hr. isha, thank you very much. we're three days away from our conference for bullying. an anti bullying bill was signed and took place at a high school where they encouraged students and parents and staff to dot same. go to facebook.com/stopbullyingspeakup . join us for a town hall conversation with dr. phil
8:55 pm
mcgraw, kelly ripa, and some remarkable kids who are facing bullying right now, today, and they will tell you their stories and it's incredible moving. that's at 8:00 p.m. sunday on cnn. coming up, a handbag, an alligator handbag that cost $39,000? that ends up on "our ridiculous." we'll be right back. you say you can beat any advertised price on tires? correct. anywhere? yes. like this price? yes. riously? yes what about this one? i'll beat it. this one? s we will. right, i only have one more question for you...this one? (laughing) yeah. get $100 rebate when you buy four tires. 100 bucks! only at your ford dealer. 3 million tires. 11 major brands, fiona's kind-of-nice. i don't know why you're not here. i know what works differently than many other allergy medications. omnaris. omnaris, to the nose. did you know nasal symptoms like congestion
8:56 pm
can be caused by allergic inflammation? omnaris relieves your symptoms by fighting inflammation. side effects may include headache, nose bleed, and sore throat. got allergy symptoms out of my way. now life's a picnic. [ man ] omnaris. ask your doctor. battling nasal allergy symptoms? omnaris combats the cause. get omnaris for only $11 at omnaris.com. new splenda® essentials™ no calorie sweetener with b vitamins, the first and only one to help support a healthy metabolism. three smart new ways to sweeten. same great taste. new splenda® essentials™.
8:57 pm
8:58 pm
time now for the ridiculous and tonight we're adding this backpack. it's from the olson twins designer line and it costs $39,000. you heard me right. coincidentally, that's the average starting salary of a teacher. mary kate and ashley say that the demand is so great that it was the first thing sold out in
8:59 pm
their li what i can't understand is why anybody would spend $39,000 on a backpack. ashley said that in bad times extreme its go for more money. during our last economic crisis, the only thing that went up was hermes. >> what is more extreme or luxurious than this, a backpack that costs more than a nissan sentra. although, you cannot get an alligator backpack and spend $39,000 to get an alligator backpack. this one cost $33, for instance. i'd like to see more twins getting into fashion, like the wonder twins, or the win

82 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on