Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom  CNN  March 22, 2012 3:00pm-4:00pm EDT

3:00 pm
not. you have to really understand who are you and obviously tim tebow understands who he is and he understands his faith and i don't see him having any problem being in new york city. >> sounds like you're agreeing with urban meyer. i want to read a quote i read in the times this morning. i think new york is unique, by the way, urban meyer, the former coach at florida. i think new york is unique. if there is anyone that can handle it is tim. he will handle everything up front and first class and humble about everything and probably a whole different animal in new york but he handles everything the same way. here is my but. college ball isn't nearly as scrutinized as pro, as nfl, is it? >> no, not at all. if you follow tim tebow's career, ever since he has been to the nfl, all of the people that he has grown up watching, all the quarterbacks that he admired growing up, all of these different stations and the pundits, they rip him and the fact he n overcome all of that, his idols not giving him
3:01 pm
much of a chance and him going out and doing it in the fourth quarter to me is very impressive. that's a skill that i think he can bring to the jets, that mental toughness that can take them to the next level. >> we shall see. i have seen pictures already around manhattan. i appreciate it. nice to meet you. thank you. now this. all right. let's continue on here, hour two. top of the hour breaking news. as i speak, the department of justice officials are believed to be meeting with the parents of the unarmed teen, trayvon martin, who was shot and killed just about a month ago by a neighborhood watch captain in sanford, florida. so keep that in mind. also in the next half hour we're expecting to hear from the city manager of sanford expected to make an announce meant in the case, so that happening 3:30 eastern time. we'll dip into that live. also, just last night, the city council in sanford voted 3-2 approving the vote of no confidence in the city's police
3:02 pm
chief bill lee who by the way is on the job for all of ten months. his officers have yet to arrest the watch captain, george zimmerman seen here in this exclusive photo that cnn obtained. joining me is legal analyst sunny hostin. first, a lot to talk about obviously as the story continues. what do you make of this vote of no confidence? what exactly does that do? ultimately it is the city manager who we will be hearing from perhaps he will make news in half an hour and ultimately his call whether or not the chiefs stays or goes. >> that's right. it is his call. we know, brook, because there is such outrage in this case that many people are calling for the resignation of the police chief or the firing of the police chief and the city manager has made it very clear that he is going to listen to the recommendation and he was waiting for that recommendation. so as you mentioned, we know there will be a news conference at 3:30. i wonder whether or not we'll learn how he felt about that vote of no confidence 3-2 vote,
3:03 pm
but certainly i think it spells some serious concerns about how the trayvon martin matter has been handled by the police department under the lead of the police chief. >> and apparently this news conference is to be the first of many it sounds like daily briefings put on by the city manager and of course we'll take that live in less than half an hour from now. as we mentioned, the department of justice officials are meeting with trayvon martin's parents right now. obviously behind closed doors. what can we glean from what might be possibly happening there? what mighting feds be telling them, going over with them, what's the purpose of this? >> well, we don't know exactly. i have been in contact with the martin family attorney, and it was confirmed they would be meeting with the department of justice attorneys, two officials in particular, my understanding it is going to be one of the deputy chiefs of the civil rights division as well as a u.s. attorney, and the u.s. attorney of florida, and we know
3:04 pm
also, brooke, the justice department has commenced an investigation into trayvon martin's shooting death, and that's a civil rights investigation, and so perhaps they are going to update the family on their plans. the justice department has indicated this would be a difficult case to show, a difficult case to prove. we do know that the fbi is investigating, the justice department. we don't know whether or not they're taking over the investigation from the local authorities. many people are -- and i made several phone calls and many people are telling me that this is very much viewed as a local law enforcement investigation and that the justice department and federal investigations will be run in tandem with the local investigation. >> still just about a month from the shooting and the death, no arrest, no charges. i know that just today about 1,000 students in florida that walked out of class to protest the fact that that precise fact that no one has been arrested
3:05 pm
and with the pressure, sunny, could a defense attorney use that later saying police felt compelled and pressured to make an arrest from this case? >> if an arrest happens, certainly i suppose that would be the argument, but we know that the state attorney's office has sent this and sent it over for a grand jury to hear on april 10th. i suspect that the police department has handed over this investigation to the state's attorneys office and the evidence will appear in front of the grand jury, so the police department isn't going to effectuate an arrest any time soon. the most that would come out is if the grand jury chose to do it. that would almost be akin to an arrest warranty and he would be charged with whatever crimes the grand jury indicted on. i don't expect we'll see an arrest by the sanford police department. >> until an indictment comes down and you mentioned april 10th. sunny hostin. thank you. sunny knows this intimately.
3:06 pm
we'll talk about the stand your ground law and how it played a front and center role as to why sanford police did not arrest 28-year-old george zimmerman the night of the shooting just about a month ago. the law in 21 states keep many mind, isn't just florida, 21 states allows people to use deadly force in defending themselves and since it passed in 2005 justifiable homicides in florida have more than doubled and randi kaye has the story of one family mourning a loved one after the shooter allegedly tried to stand his ground. >> when david james, an iraq war veteran escaped combat in the middle east unscathed, his wife breathed a sigh of relief. >> i would worry about him, i thought he would be safe here. >> she was wrong. now wants to know why trevor duelly, a 71-year-old retired bus driver shot her husband in broad daylight right in front of their eight-year-old daughter.
3:07 pm
he says it was self-defense. canina james calls it murder. >> what person brings a gun to a park? when there is children, i mean, he killed my husband. he could have just talked to him. >> whether or not trevor dually fired in self-defense is at the heart of this case. also central to the story is dually's defense, florida's stand your ground law which allows a person to stand their ground and use deadly force if they fear someone could seriously harm them. here is what witnesses say happened on that september sunday in 2010. 41-year-old david james was playing basketball with his daughter here when witnesses say dually who lived right across the street started yelling at a teenager who was skateboarding to get off the court. that is when witnesses say james
3:08 pm
intervened. james yelled back to dually asking him to show where any sign said no skateboarding. dually then crossed the street to the park to confront james. a tennis player at the park, michael whitt, testified things turned ugly when dually reached for his waistband. witt says james lunged at dually and the two men struggled on the ground before james was shot once through the heart. on the 911 call whitt is heard trying to help. >> can you hear me? sir, can you hear me? sir, can you hear me? >> he's not breathing. >> he's not breathing. >> mr. dually, what do you want to say about what happened? >> no comment. >> dually tells a different story, that contradicts the witnesses. he says when he took the gun out of his right front pocket james saw it and knocked him to the ground. at a hearing to get the charges dismissed, dually testified, quote, he was choking me to death. >> you agree you do not want to
3:09 pm
go there. >> for killing james. >> that's correct. >> yes or no. >> no. >> dually's lawyer told us his client turned to walk away towards home and james was the aggressor. he said dually did pull a gun and didn't use it until he felt his life was threatened. he says the charges against his client should be dropped given the stand your ground law. canina james says her husband of 13 years was never aggressive, that he was a gentle family man. she believes he was trying to protect himself and their daughter danielle after he saw dually pull a gun. >> he loved danielle so much. that breaks my heart that trevor dually took my daughter's best friend away from her. she will never have her daddy. >> danielle's testimony about how and why the situation turned
3:10 pm
violent is key in a case that hinges on self-defense. danielle now ten recalled how her father asked dually where the signs were that said no skateboarding on the court. >> my dad got on top of him so he could keep him down so he could get the answer. >> where were your dad's hands? >> on his arms. >> on the man's arms? >> yeah. >> the little girl then recalled her father's last moments. >> i think the guy pulled out the gun then. >> did you hear anything? >> yeah. >> what did you hear? >> like when it shot. >> you heard a gunshot? >> yeah. >> did your dad say anything then? >> yeah. >> what did he say? >> call the ambulance, i have been shot. >> when canina james got there, her husband was already dead and her daughter was crying asking why isn't anyone helping my daddy? randi kaye, cnn. >> just an example of stand your
3:11 pm
ground in florida. we pulled up a live picture thanks to our affiliate kmg. we're waiting, should happen in 20 minutes this news conference out of sanford, florida. we're expecting to hear from the city manager to discuss the case, what specifically will he be saying, we don't know yet. that's what we'll dip into live. stay with us for that. also, experts say terror agents are now inside the u.s. they're backed by iran. find out who is keeping an eye on them next. big news involving mortgage rates in america. they have been so low for so long that that is suddenly changing. we have the details. stay right with me. all right, let's decide what to do about medicare and social security... security. that's what matters to me... me? i've been paying in all these years... years washington's been talking at us, but they never really listen...
3:12 pm
listen...it's not just some line item on a budget; it's what i'll have to live on... i live on branson street, and i have something to say... [ male announcer ] aarp is bringing the conversation on medicare and social security out from behind closed doors in washington. because you've earned a say. i'm michael bazinet, president of creative digital imaging of bangor, maine. we have customers all over the united states. we rely on the postal service for everything that we do. the eastern maine processing facility is vital to our operation and our success. if we lose this processing facility we could lose clientele because of increased mailing times. we would have to consider layoffs as a result of that. closure of this plant will affect all of us. ♪
3:13 pm
[ male announcer ] engine light on? come to meineke now for a free code scan read and you'll say...my money. my choice. my meineke. a couple stories here. first, the president fast tracking part of the keystone
3:14 pm
pipeline today. also, a report surfacing that has iran terror agents working in the u.s. now and more people working but mortgage rates are starting to spike. time for the reporter roulette. >> let's begin with you on the news today with the keystone pipeline. why just this one part? why fast track the southern part of the pipeline and that's it? >> as the president point out, there is a bottleneck of oil in cushing, some of that oil coming from places like north dakota that needs to get down to the gulf where it will be refined and it is not getting there quickly enough, so the president saying this pipeline will help make that happen. i should point out that the president has no real say over pipelines constructed inside the united states like this one, the southern part of that pipeline where he can, though, have great influences over the northern part of the pipeline which sks
3:15 pm
runs from canada or would run from canada into the united states. this strags blocked that part of the pipeline because of environmental concerns, brook. >> we know he is calling to drop the red tape. what specifically is he referring to and will that help speed anything up? >> that's a very good question because jay carney was asked that very question on the gaggle aboard air force one and he said this will be effective and help get rid of some of the red tape that will make this move along more quickly, efficiently, and i can tell you publicly the company has said the company that will build this pipeline said they were planning for a launch date around june and that they don't believe any of these actions will change that timeline. >> dan, appreciate it. next hear the fbi watching suspected hezballah agents with ties to iran right here in the united states. next senior national secure pruzer susan kelly, and, susan,
3:16 pm
we heard a lot about this during a house committee hearing. tell me about it. >> we did. these hezballah agents here and present in america, we heard house homeland security committee yesterday say there are hundreds of these agents throughout u.s. cities. there are a panel of experts that testify to that fact and talked about how they have been here for ten years or more and basically raising money to support what they're trying to do back home. however, they haven't made a switch yet to becoming operative groups. cnn did further digging and talked to federal law enforcement officials here who because it is a very sensitive issue and on going investigations they're not going to comment on the record but they did say that the cases that the u.s. brought involving hezballah to this point have only been about fund raising and they haven't actually involved serious plots or terror attacks. because of fears offist rail i attacks that have gotten the
3:17 pm
buzz whipped up and people are worried that iran might use its ties to hezballah if anything happened so there are all eyes on this group this week in washington, brooke. >> i know you are quick to qualify they're fund raising so far as you point out in a dozen or so u.s. cities. what can the u.s. do about these people, though, if anything so far? >> actually, law enforcement feels they have a good handle on these groups because they have very good intel on them. they feel like they know what they're doing, it is better for them to watch them and continue to gather intelligence and know where they are and what they're up than say for al qaeda which is a much more difficult operation to sort of follow and get intel on. they're watching very closely what they're doing. >> okay. susan kelly in washington, thank you. next on reporter roulette fewer people losing their jobs, good thing. the mortgage rates are on the rise. go to patricia on live at the new york stock exchange. first let's talk the good news, the job market. it is improving, thank goodness.
3:18 pm
>> it is, brooke. fewer people are asking the government for unemployment checks. last week 348,000 people filed for unemployment benefits for the first time. that's lower than the week before and the smallest number in four years. that means fewer layoffs. that's good. the economy is also adding more than 200,000 jobs in each of the past three months showing that demand for workers is picking up and pushing the unemployment rate to its lowest level in three years, brooke. >> what about the mortgage rates? they have been low for so long. how are they changing? >> yes, record lows, brooke. today we saw a big jump, the 30 year fixed rate topped 4%. that's the highest level since october but it is not all bad news. analysts credit a strengthening economy for that increase this week, and the scare of rising rates could give potential buyers a reason to jump on the house that they have been eyeing and you have more buyers and certainly would help the housing recovery, brooke.
3:19 pm
>> patricia wu, thank you for us in new york. as i am looking at the clock, we are just about 12 minutes away. you see the camera guys getting set up for the news conference happening in sanford, florida, live pictures. we're expecting to hear from norton bonaparte, the city manager in sanford. he will step in front of the microphones and talk about the trayvon martin case and he might make news. we just don't know yet. we'll bring that live. also as you know, there are calls to fire the police chief over that whole investigation. more on that. plus, she is the youngest woman on death row and one very dangerous character. well, investigators say a friend and a prison guard plotted her escape. we're on the case next. ♪ he was a 21st century global nomad ♪
3:20 pm
♪ home was an airport lounge and an ipad ♪ ♪ made sure his credit score did not go bad ♪ ♪ with a free-credit-score-dot-com ♪ ♪ app that he had ♪ downloaded it in the himalayas ♪ ♪ while meditating like a true playa ♪ ♪ now when he's surfing down in chile'a ♪
3:21 pm
♪ he can see when his score is in danger ♪ ♪ if you're a mobile type on the go ♪ ♪ i suggest you take a tip from my bro ♪ ♪ and download the app that lets you know ♪ ♪ at free-credit-score-dot-com now let's go. ♪ vo: offer applies with enrollment in freecreditscore.com™. multi-policy discount. paperless discount. paid-in-full discount. [yawning] homeowner's discount. safe driver discount. chipmunk family reunion. someone stole the nuts. squirrel jail. justice! countless discounts. now that's progressive. call or click today.
3:22 pm
the only woman sitting on tennessee's death row is busted again. this time for an escape plot. the two men now are charged with trying to help her out. we'll bring in sunny host ton. tell me her name. she is one dangerous character i hear. tell me why she is on death row. >> a death in 1996 for the -- she was only 20 years old, brooke, for the 1995 murder of colleen slim that she met at the
3:23 pm
job corps center in knoxville, tennessee. apparently she felt colleen was trying to take her boyfriend away and beat her and slashed her and carved a pent gram in her chest and crushed her skull with a piece of asphalt and kept a piece of the skull in her pocket, so a very gruesome, gruesome murder, and it was alleged that there was sort of satanic consult involved and a satanic bible found in her possession so a gruesome and vicious killer and put on death row for that killing. >> given all of those horrible details, who are these two guys who tried to help her bust out? >> it is remarkable. she has a boyfriend. her boyfriend was helping her trying to get out of prison along with a corrections officer, someone that worked there at the prison, a prison
3:24 pm
guard. he was of course fired and then arrested and faces several charges for conspireing to help her break out of prison. >> do we know any more about the plans of breaking out? did she get close to escaping? >> of course authorities aren't giving us much information about the plot. i suppose they don't want anyone else to get any grand ideas, but prison officials have indicated, brooke, she wasn't -- that this was not going to be a plot that would work. apparently she wasn't very close to the escape plot. it was about a month in the making, but they got a tip that the prison guard was involved in and they got investigators to start looking into this alleged plot and they found some corroborating evidence in her cell, contraband in her cell, and so this plot was foiled in infancy. >> well, good thing. i guess maybe that guy won't be writing any love letters any time soon.
3:25 pm
>> i don't think so. >> thank you. and for 32 hours here a guy who called him al qaeda barricaded himself into this apartment, toyed with police. we are now hearing what investigators found inside the home including the chilling videos he apparently recorded. we are also standing by for this live news conference happening in about five minutes from now, sanford, florida, hearing from the city manager holding this news conference related to the death about a month ago of trayvon martin, the 17-year-old. we'll bring that live. we'll be right back. i'm a lobster girl. top quality lobster is all we catch.
3:26 pm
[ male announcer ] don't miss red lobster's lobsterfest. the only time of year you can savor 12 exciting lobster entrees, like lobster lover's dream i'm laura mclennan and i sea food differently.
3:27 pm
3:28 pm
disturbing new details coming in about the french serial killer who murdered seven people including school children and soldiers. the french tv station has identified the man you are seeing here, 23 dwrerld muhammed merah, he is now dead and killed in a hail of bullets ending a 32-hour standoff with french police. want you to listen here. this is a scene outside the apartment this morning moments
3:29 pm
before he was killed. >> inside his apartment officials say they found videos of all of his shootings and the first video showing the shooting of a french soldier in toulouse on march 11th. merah told the soldier, you kill my brothers, i kill you. in another video showing how merah gunned down two soldiers last week heard saying allah akbar which means goed is great and i want to bring in ai an dofring this off and on for the last 32 hours in toulouse. outstanding stuff, diane. let me talk to you about the standoff with police that again lasted 32 hours and what happened during that time and how ultimately did it end? >> it ended in a fire fight and began in a fire fight.
3:30 pm
they raided the apartment and muhammed merah put up an enormous fight which is why they backed off and you had the siege situation that went on for a very long time. he was in negotiations and discussions with they let unit for a good sort of 12 hours and in that time he revealed an awful lot about why he had done what he had done, about his supposed al qaeda affiliations and about how in the end he decided he wanted to die with his weapons in his hands. after he said that, they didn't hear from him for again about ten hours, and they were using all sorts of means to try to flush him out and basically stun grenades thrown into the apartment and stun him and intimidate him into surrendering himself. none of it worked. early this morning they decided to move in and when they did, they looked through all of the rooms for him and couldn't find him and didn't know whether he was alive or dead because they
3:31 pm
heard gun fire in the night. then he suddenly burst out of the bathroom shooting and the way the chief leader of that elite unit said in a way that he had never seen such a violent reaction, shooting, and then jumping out of the window and finally being shot by one of the team with a bullet to the head, the end to a long siege and also to the tore meant of the people of toulouse who were worried he might strike again which he said he was something he planned to do. >> to imagine him jumping and shooting and being shot, we are learning more about him. i know cnn in the last hour or so hearing from the u.s. intelligence officials saying that he had in fact trained at an al qaeda camp in pakistan. he was on the no-fly list in the u.s. we know french police have been watching him closely. what more do you know about him? >> well, exactly. french police have been watching him. they were already aware he had
3:32 pm
gone to pakistan and afghanistan to train with al qaeda there, and he wasn't on the radar enough. they hadn't managed to sort of piece the puzzle together. he was really known in toulouse for various sort of criminal offenses, violent offenses, and it was sort of the day after that shooting in the jewish school that they looked through a lot of cc tv footage and matched it with his violent profile and began to put him under suspicion. then apparently it was a question of finding out where he was geographically, and it was tuesday night already that they decided to make the raid that they did, that then lasted 32 hours as you say, brooke. >> i am sure the people in toulouse who have been terrified during this time and diane, forgive me, thank you so much. we appreciate your reporting there. again, just reminder, this live
3:33 pm
picture, here we go. any minute we will be hearing from the city manager in sanford, florida. he is expected to discuss the trayvon martin case. as you know, there are calls to fire the police chief over the investigation. we heard and saw the vote last night from the city council 3-2, this no confidence vote over the police chief just on the job ten months. will this man who ultimately holds the fate of this police chief in his own hands, will he do so in the course of the next couple minutes? we're waiting, watching, we'll let you know. plus this. >> we the family are praying for reconciliation. >> a white teenager admits he targeted a black man and ran him over with his pickup truck. the whole disturbing scene was caught on video. even though a judge just sentenced him, the story is far from over. drew griffin all over this new twist in the case next. [ artis brown ] america is facing some tough challenges right now.
3:34 pm
3:35 pm
two of the most important are energy security and economic growth. north america actually has one of the largest oil reserves in the world. a large part of that is oil sands. this resource has the ability to create hundreds of thousands of jobs. at our kearl project in canada, we'll be able to produce these oil sands with the same emissions as many other oils and that's a huge breakthrough. that's good for our country's energy security and our economy.
3:36 pm
and who ordered the yummy cereal? yummy. [ woman ] lower cholesterol. [ man 2 ] yummy. i got that wrong didn't i? [ male announcer ] want great taste and whole grain oats that can help lower cholesterol? honey nut cheerios. metamucil uses super hard working psyllium fiber, which gels to remove unsexy waste and reduce cholesterol. taking psyllium fiber won't make you a model but you should feel a little more super. metamucil. down with cholesterol.
3:37 pm
i know a lot of you are sticking with me as we're all awaiting the city manager at sanford, florida, to step in front of the podium and speak. he is so far running seven minutes late. as soon as he speaks, we will bring that to you live. we don't know specifically what he is talking about, if he might make news but we have our eyes glued to that. i do want to move along and talk about while the nation has been outraged, accusing a neighborhood watch volunteer of killing a teenager because of the color of his skin, in mississippi a man has just been sentenced it two concurrent life terms for doing precisely that, the murder of james craig anderson is a landmark case, major developments are happening right now. we'll get into the details here. first, to this murder's apology, darrell ran over and killed anderson because the 49-year-old man was black. yesterday he apologized and the anderson family accepted it. >> i live with this every day.
3:38 pm
i hope god will soften your hearts to forgive me. i ask god for forgiveness of my sins daily and i will do no more evil. i did a very malicious thing that night for no reason. i wish i could take it all back and restore what your family lost. i ask and beg for your forgiveness. >> we the innocent family, i pray for racial reconciliation, not only in mississippi but all over this land and country. we are praying for the defendant dedmom and his family, that they find peace. >> we will go back to that in just a moment. i have drew standing by with the update. i want to take you live to sanford and take a listen.
3:39 pm
this is norton bonaparte, the city manager. >> to assist us in the role and assist us in getting information out we would like to establish regular press conferences. you will be getting more information about this. this is the initial one. this also, however, is a special one in that we do have an announcement to make which at this point i would like to call upon police chief bill lee. >> thank you, mr. bonaparte. as a former homicide investigator, a career law enforcement officer, and a father, i am keenly aware of the emotions associated with this tragic death of a child. i am also aware that my role as a leader of this agency has become a distraction from the investigation. while i stand by the sapp ford police department, its personnel, and the investigation that was conducted in regards to the trayvon martin case, it is apparent that my involvement in this matter is over shadowing
3:40 pm
the process. therefore, i have come to the decision that i must temporarily remove myself from the position as police chief for the city of sanford. i do this in the hopes of restoring some semblance of calm to the city which has been in turmoil for several weeks. as the chief of police of the city of sanford, i made sure the facts of this case have been presented to the office of the state attorney. it is my hope that the investigation process will move forward swiftly and appropriately through the justice system and that a final determination in this case is reached. thank you. >> in the interim, police captain scott o'connor will assume the co-duties of running the sanford police department while we look for an interim police chief. this is a very difficult time
3:41 pm
for this community. it is a very difficult time for our nation. this incident has gathered international attention. i ask that the citizens both of sanford and of the country understand that the judicial process is put in place and what the city of sanford wants more than anything else for the trayvon martin family is justice. it has been turned over to the state attorney's office, the governor has asked the florida department of law enforcement to assist, and congress woman brown having joined gotten the united states department of justice part of this process, so we are looking for a complete, thorough review and that justice will prevail. at this point i would like to thank you. we'll be getting a schedule of regular press conference. thank you. >> what do you mean temporarily remove himself? >> reporters are shouting and trying to get a little bit more clarity. they're not answering.
3:42 pm
certainly news was just made. you heard initially from the city manager who held the fate of that police chief in his hands and you saw the police chief, chief lee, come forward and say he is temporarily removing himself from duty and an interim captain will take over and he is aware of the emotions associated with the case and struck a cord in sanford approximate globally over the death of a 17-year-old a month ago, trayvon martin, and he is absolutely stands by the investigation that's been conducted by the sanford police department which is now turned over to the state's attorney. we know a grand jury will be convening april 10th and perhaps then there will be an indictment. i want to bring in sunny hostin following this case closely. your reaction, temporarily removing himself. good enough? >> i am not -- it is not good enough. i am not surprised that he won't be holding that position at the moment because of the no confidence vote that we heard about, and because we knew that
3:43 pm
the city manager was going to take that into consideration. i don't understand the language temporarily remove himself. it sounds to me as if there is some tension there at the top because we also now hear the city manager is going to look for an interim police chief while still appointing scott o'connor to do it. i think we got mixed messages there, but certainly i believe that the pressure of the outrage that has come about because of trayvon martin's death certainly moved, i think, this forward. >> it sounds like and let me know in my ear if we have the sound from the county naacp leader i soak with earlier, turner clayton, and he has been part of the community tore decades, worked with the serve's department for 20 years and talked about how the problem seems to be indem i can within the community as it relates so the sanford police department and how there have been issues
3:44 pm
that have been his word was a pattern, repeated, and this is just the most recent. i want to play that if we have it and we'll talk on the other side. >> you naacp, held this gathering at a church and town last night talking about the shooting of trayvon martin and also about the experiences that individuals have had with police in town. can you just give me an idea of what you heard last night? >> yeah. we had various citizens come in to voice their complaints they have with the police department. some stated that their loved ones have been killed and in some cases no report was actually taken or there was no complete investigation as to why they was killed and anyone brought to justice in those particular cases. we had several complainants who voiced the same concern in records to that. >> we brought some of those concerns, one of our producers on the ground, you know, brought the concerns to the sanford police department. their response to us was no comment. as i mentioned, you worked with
3:45 pm
the sanford sheriff's department for more than two decades. when you hear these complaints voiced multiple times last night, does it sound like the sanford that you know and lived in foryears? >> well, yes. just listening to what they had to say, yes, i can verify a lot of those complaints because it is not the first time i have heard those complaints. of course in some of those cases even though we did not investigate complaints within the city limits concerning murders and other killings, we did have knowledge of those taking place. so a lot of times justice department prevail in those cases. >> if you had the knowledge and didn't investigate as a citizen leader, why not? why not sound the alarm earlier? >> well, as a citizen, as a leader of the naacp, once we actually found out about what
3:46 pm
has happened, then we launch our independent investigation and of course we also ask the state attorney to come in and prosecute those cases and also have referred cases to lead to come in and investigate and some of those cases they have taken and investigated and turned those reports over to the state attorney's office. most likely the state attorney and a lot of those cases did not prosecute. >> and you know he mentioned, sunny, told me that he met with the police manager 30 minutes prior to our conversation and hoping this announcement that we just heard happen that chief bill lee would go away and we know it is temporarily but it sounds to me like the city of sanford have a lot on their hands. >> they really do. i have also been speaking to a lot of people in florida, a lot of attorneys, spoken to been crump, the family attorney for the martins, and i keep on hearing the same thing, brooke, this is sort of systemic in
3:47 pm
terms of what's going on in this police department, at least that's sort of what people are saying and talking about, and i think what's important to note is that the police here indicated that they couldn't arrest george zimmerman, that they were prohibited under the law from arresting him, and many people now are of course questioning that decision, questioning why there was no arrest and questioning the investigation that the decision was based upon because we have learned so many things since the martin family has sort of become their own investigative team, right. we have learned that perhaps george zimmerman wasn't tested for blood or alcohol, rather drugs or alcohol that night, that he was allowed to leave the police station with the very clothes that he had on during the shooting, so there is no forensic evidence that can be gathered from his clothing. we have learned that they may not have yet spoken to the girl
3:48 pm
that was on the phone with trayvon martin when he was shot by george zimmerman, so there are a lot of questions about how the police have handled this on going investigation, and i believe that is why the sanford police chief had to step aside. >> temporarily, sunny hostin. excellent point. i do want to point out cnn tried reaching the sanford police department just to get their response to these allegations that there have been issues that have been indemic to the force and involving community members and their answer is no comment. we'll take you live to the ground to sanford, florida, in a moment and in case you missed it, big news in sanford. want to play this again, this is chief bill lee. take a listen. >> as a former homicide investigator, a career law enforcement officer, and a father, i am keenly aware of the emotions associated with this tragic death of a child. i am also aware that my role as a leader of this agency has become a distraction from the
3:49 pm
investigation. while i stand by the sanford police department, its personnel, and the investigation that was conducted in regards to the trayvon martin case, it is apparent that my involvement in this matter is over shadowing the process. therefore, i have come to the decision that i must temporarily remove myself from the position as police chief for the city of sanford. i do this in the hopes of restoring some semblance of calm to the city which has been in turmoil for several weeks. as a chief of police of the city of sanford, i made sure the facts of this case have been presented to the office of the state attorney. it is my hope the investigation process will move forward swiftly and appropriately through the justice system and that a final determination in this case is reached. thank you. >> why did it take so long on start the investigation
3:50 pm
♪ ♪
3:51 pm
3:52 pm
>> all right. you just heard the breaking news moments ago that the sanford police chief bill lee will be stepping down from his post temporarily while they continue this investigation into the death of 17-year-old trayvon martin. that shooting happened in a gated community just about one month ago. let me glance down at my notes. he is aware of his association with the investigation, that his own police officers have been conducting. i want to go to vivian quo who is also covering another part of the story. vivian is one of our cnn producers. vivian, we are awaiting a news conference given in the spot that you're standing by the patients of trayvon martin. tell me what they've been up to today.
3:53 pm
>> reporter: today, brooke, we just learned about an hour ago they met with the department of justice and civil rights leaders to talk about what they've -- what the case has been doing. they met with eric holder and the attorney general's office yesterday, earlier this week, and they -- are talking to them about what they're going to do in this case. reverend al sharpton meeting with them right now and they're going to talk about where they're going to go next. now today we're hearing that there is a press conference at 4:30 p.m. they're going to say what they expect to happen next. what they want to happen next and where they expect it to go from there. >> okay, vivian. i see you pulling on your earpiece. can you hear me now? give me a thumb's up if you can hear me. >> i can. i can. we're awaiting this news conference with the parents in half an hour. can you tell me where you are and, we just heard the news from this police chief that he's
3:54 pm
stepping down temporarily. i'm curious if there's been any reaction. >> reporter: brooke, i counted more than 150 people here already. we are more than three hours away from the rally and this is an indication of how electric this atmosphere is here. i've heard small chants of i am trayvon martin. i am trayvon martin. you can see the emblem on several of the t-shirts here. i've seen people carrying hoodies here. people here are energized, they're powered up and ready to go. what they say is they want justice for trayvon martin. >> they want justice for trayvon. do you know if there's been reaction from the folks you see around you -- from the folks you see around you with this temporary removal of -- okay. you can't hear me. vivian quo, thank you so much. we're going get a quick break in and we'll get back with drew griffin in this stunning case in mississippi. we'll be right back. me? i've been paying in all these years... years washington's been talking at us,
3:55 pm
but they never really listen... listen...it's not just some line item on a budget; it's what i'll have to live on... i live on branson street, and i have something to say... [ male announcer ] aarp is bringing the conversation on medicare and social security out from behind closed doors in washington. because you've earned a say. but proven technologies allow natural gas producers to supply affordable, cleaner energy, while protecting our environment. across america, these technologies protect air -
3:56 pm
by monitoring air quality and reducing emissions... ...protect water - through conservation and self-contained recycling systems... ... and protect land - by reducing our footprint and respecting wildlife. america's natural gas... domestic, abundant, clean energy to power our lives... that's smarter power today. so last summer, cnn's drew griffin went to mississippi to investigate and uncover surveillance video of this hate crime, and i want to bring drew in. before we get to the news of the day, remind us, i mean -- i forever have that seared in my head, that video. >> there was a group of teenagers that specifically left a party hunting for a black man to beat up. it was that quick, that easy an explanation and it was their own explanation and deryl dedmon was sentenced to two life terms is
3:57 pm
person who actually killed james craig anderson and we do have the surveillance video that was caught at a hotel of this large pickup truck, an f-250 pickup truck driving over a man who was walking down the street. that was the act of murder. today what's happening is for the first time in the case involving death -- >> there it is. >> >> there's the surveillance death. today the department of justice has filed hate crime charges using the matthew shepard law for the first time in a case involving a death, not just against deryl dedmon, but two of the other people who were there, john rice and another fellow named dillon butler. >> so it was these three guys in total. >> it is more dom mcomplicated that, it was a group of seven white teenagers who rankin county, mississippi, who on a saturday night, drunk, decided to drive 19 miles into jackson, mississippi, decided to find a black person to beat up. they found the first black person and they killed him.
3:58 pm
four of those people remain uncharged. we expect possibly more charges to come later this afternoon in jackson federal court, but i think what is interesting is we may see the same thing happen down in florida where the department of justice comes, applies the matthew shepard hate crime law and perhaps seeks prosecution against george zimmerman under the hate crime legislation. >> again, just want to warn our viewers because we h didn't want to play it in full, the surveillance video is from a nearby motel. it's tough to watch. just a fair warning for those of you as we play out the surveillance video and you're potentially connecting the dots to what we may see in florida. you mentioned this 19-year-old deryl dedmon who is the one who will now be serving two concurrent life sentences. >> you can see the kids back and forth. they're beating up the victim, punching him and yelling racial slurs. one of them yelled white power as they were leaving and then you see the pickup truck and look for that man coming out of the corner there.
3:59 pm
that's the man stumbling and that's the victim james craig anderson. >> inside the circle. >> deryl dedmon, backs up and gets a good aim and just plows him over on the way out and to be absolutely factual at the end of this, deryl dedmon is laughing with his friends and actually called on a cell phone and pardon my language, there was no other way to say this. i just ran over that f-ing -- which is why it was so easy to apply the hate crime legislation in this case. there was no question about it unlike the circumstances involving the case in florida. >> the 19-year-old, two concurrent life sentences. we will wait and see if those other four are charge and it's interesting if we will see that with doj in florida if the matthew shepard law is applied. drew griffin, thank you very much.

143 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on