Skip to main content

tv   Piers Morgan Tonight  CNN  April 6, 2012 12:00am-1:00am EDT

12:00 am
what it will take to bring justice in this electrifying case. we also have our take on the shooting and what it says about america's justice system. the body guard, the secret service agent who risked his own life to protect jacqueline kennedy. he joins me with new details on that day. then beauty and grace. my interview with katherine jenkins. the opera sensation turning heads and stealing the show on "dancing with the stars." this is "piers morgan tonight." good evening. tonight's big story is trayvon martin. was the shooting self-defense or not? here's what george zimmerman's attorney told me last night.
12:01 am
>> the reason that trayvon martin is dead is not because he was black or because he wore a hoodie or because he was walking in the rain. it's because that 6'3" young manmade a terrible decision and a bad judgment and decided to smack somebody in the face and smack their head into the ground. >> that's one side of the story. does anyone believe that? also the most trusted man in jacqueline kennedy's life. it was a secret service agent who protected her when the president was shot. his firsthand account of that dark day coming up. but first, back to trayvon martin. with me now is gloria allred and charles blow. also is arsenio hall. first, i want to hear from our legal minds. this has become an incredibly complex legal battle now. the attorneys i had on last night, george zimmerman got very fired up.
12:02 am
>> i watched that. that was almost a train wreck. >> i was surprised at the amount of emotion they were showing. >> they are in the midst of a storm. they've got what they believe the media convicting their client before there's been a trial or he's been filed. one of the things that struck me was the one lawyer who kept talking as if he was going to get filed on. he was going to be charged, which i think you would hope as a defense lawyer that that's premature. at the same time, anybody who has been connected to the criminal justice system knows that if you're not a police officer and you shoot and kill somebody, they arrest first and ask questions later. that has not happened here. there was an arrest, but for some reason, he was let go. and now they are investigating. >> clear up one thing for me. last night there seemed to be some doubt about the legality of somebody operating as a
12:03 am
neighborhood watch official using a firearm. because this is an unwritten code perhaps. it's a written code. >> it might be a preset of the neighborhood watch program, but if you believe and if it's the truth that he has a concealed weapons permit, he can carry that weapon. >> regardless of his capacity? >> regardless. they don't issue a permit saying this is valid except on neighborhood watch. it's no different than if a police officer was off duty. >> gloria, you have been involved in many high profile cases. what's your overview as we sit here tonight of this case? >> well, i think it's very fair for the family of trayvon martin to be asking the question why george zimmerman wasn't arrested. i think the answer, in part, is that the lead investigator reportedly did refer this case for prosecution. did think an arrest should be made. on the other hand, it it appears to have been rejected by the
12:04 am
state attorney. now there's a special prosecutor appointed by the governor. a review is being made of that decision. and it appears reportedly and of course, we don't see the evidence because there's no court of law involved yet. it appears that there may have not been a thorough investigation. so hopefully the special prosecutor is also going to be able to review evidence that had not been previously reviewed. so that's what i think. >> gloria, tell me this. why is he seen in handcuffs if he hasn't been arrested? >> well, we're not clear on whether he's been arrested or not. he was in custody of the police. and we don't know what communication, when it took place between the police and the state's attorney. we don't know that. >> gloria raises a great point. one of the things is, and you
12:05 am
understand this, where the police may consult with a prosecutor. prosecutor says we don't have enough evidence. go back and investigate. if that's what happened, i have seen that. but if i understand correctly, the one prosecutor who is supposedly the one who is consulting is saying i wasn't consulted. this is wrong. that's what makes this another complex level because what was going on, he was in custody. he was under arrest by anyone's definition and he walked out of the station. >> charles, you know trayvon martin's family. you met with them. clearly, emotions running high on both sides. it seems there are two distinct things going on here. one is the issue of the stand your ground law, which is particularly prevalent and wide ranging in florida. and the second issue is whether this was a racially-motivated incident in the sense that george zimmerman was racially profiling trayvon martin and had targeted because he was a young
12:06 am
black man. take both of those two issues for me. give me your view of both, again, as we sit here with everything we now know. >> let's start with the first part, which is why did trayvon martin provoke some response in george zimmerman? that's something that happened in george zimmerman's head. and we may not know the answer to that completely. what we have to do because we don't know what's in george zimmerman's head, he has not been on the witness stand, you have to put together a psychological profile. what we're doing at this point is we only have the data to do that from what we have learned in the media. we don't have the full scope of the investigation. however, we do know from george zimmerman's own 911 call that he did think he was suspicious for whatever reason that was. he did know that he was black. he did know that he was young.
12:07 am
george zimmerman says that on the 911 call that he's probably his late teens. he does say that these, you know, these it blank always get away. even though trayvon martin is not committing any crime at that point, he's seen as suspicious. >> you alluded to the tape there. and the tape you're alluding to, which appeared at first hearing, certainly when i first heard the original enhancement, it appeared to show george zimmerman using a racial term. it's now been enhanced and a very different picture is emerging, which could prove quite crucial to this issue of whether there was racial intent. let's listen to this. >> very quick, but -- play it again. you have to hear it a few times.
12:08 am
>> now earlier on cnn, this was played repeatedly. again, this is changing every day. yesterday it appeared to be f'ing cold. now today it seems to be more likely that actually the wording was "f'ing punks." what it isn't is a racist comment. how significant will that be to the debate if that's true? >> that's the second identifier, if in effect, it is a racial slur. both will have their own experts. but if it is a racial slur, then it kind of trips another wire and puts it into the hate crime
12:09 am
category. and that is what george zimmerman's lawyers are definitely trying to do avoid if a charge is ever brought in this case. >> there's very little evidence if you actually study it. "the new york times" did a special on zimmerman's background. very little evidence to suggest that he's racist. there just isn't any. it doesn't mean he wasn't engaged in some sort of racial profiling, but certainly the allegation that he's racist and acting from a racially-motivated intent, at the moment, i think, is unproven. >> it's not proven, however, setting it up that way is a logical fallacy. you don't have to be a raging, you know, white sheet-wearing racist to act in a moment on a racial prejudice. and so i think we have to always separate those two things out. i can be involved with all sorts of people my entire life, treat them very nicely, and at the
12:10 am
same time, at a point where i find myself feeling threatened, i can act on racial prejudice. those things are not usually exclusive. people have to really stop setting those things up to be opposites. >> the other thing is why. >> gloria, i want to ask you specifically about stand your ground, which is the other part of this. what the attorneys are clearly saying, the sequence of events they are painting is entirely designed, critics would say cynically so to defend themselves under stand your ground. it suggests george zimmerman was told by the 911 operative not to pursue trayvon martin, but he then did. something happened. an altercation occurs. but that happens after zimmerman is jumped on by trayvon martin
12:11 am
as he returns to his vehicle. and then is in fear of his life and he can argue successfully if these are the facts. this can be what it is on stand your ground. what do you think of the stand your ground law in relation to this case? >> well, there in lies the rub as shakespeare might have said. after all, we don't know what the exact facts are. and stand your ground never means that you can be the aggressor in a way and if you have no reason to think that you're being threatened, that your life is being in danger that, you can't just take your gun out and shoot. i think it's unclear as to whether this applies. my guess is that certain organizations that have interests in selling guns want to say that he had a right to stand his ground. but i think it's unclear right
12:12 am
now as to whether or not it's going to apply at all. >> would you imagine, gloria, very quickly, that there will be an arrest very soon in relation to george zimmerman? >> there may very well be. of course, the case doesn't have to go before a grand jury. the special prosecutor could order the arrest and my sense is that within five or six days, we're going to know one way or another. >> would you agree with that? >> i don't think it's going to be any sooner than five days or so. i also don't think this thing is going to turn on stand your ground. stand your ground is nothing more than it's become nothing more than do you have to retreat? and ultimately what's being described as zimmerman is was he defending himself? then he has a right to. if he wasn't, if that set of facts doesn't get born out, then you can't go out and shoot somebody.
12:13 am
>> thank you all very much. when we come back after the break, i want to get your view on this. ♪
12:14 am
12:15 am
[ male announcer ] remember when you were a kid? you liked getting dirty and building things. there were no limits -- you could move mountains. the john deere 1 series subcompact tractor -- the way grownups move mountains. and with auto-connect implements, it's the easiest tractor to use yet. what will you create? learn more about the easy-to-use 1 series tractor at johndeere.com/1series.
12:16 am
my special guest now is arsenio hall. i have been listening to me patiently talk to my guests about the trayvon martin case. what do you make of it? >> my instinct as just a citizen, i'm not a professional, but i remember first hearing about it and hearing zimmerman on the phone. and then i heard audio prompts from his car, which let me know the door is opening. i didn't get the feeling that he got back in the car. i got the feeling he got out of the car and pursued the gentleman. on the phone, trayvon martin is talking to his girlfriend. he says i'm not going to run, but i'm going to walk fast. which gives me his state of mind moments prior to being killed.
12:17 am
i heard that the distance from that point to his dad's home was less than the distance of a basketball gym. it was like 70 feet or something. he's almost home. this kid, i think -- here's my fear. i think this kid what my son has been taught to do. never go with a stranger. always resist. if they take you from this point to a secondary position, the statistics increase of you dying. so i always tell my son, put up a struggle. this is not a policeman identifying himself with a badge and a shirt. piers, my son would have been dead that night. because he wouldn't have stopped and apprehended. >> because he would have resisted. >> i teach my son to have tremendous respect for law enforcement, but if a stranger in a civilian outfit walks up to my son, he's either going to run or fight. and i think this young man being 6'3", maybe he did hit mr.
12:18 am
zimmerman. maybe there was a struggle. but you have no right, piers, outside to stop me and make me do anything without identifying yourself as a police officer. that's how i feel about it. i'm afraid because of this case. i'm afraid that that could have been my son. i think you have been doing a good job with this. >> i'm fascinated by this. some critics have said, what do you know about it? you're british. you're not black. you don't understand what this means to the black community. >> one thing about the black issue. there's a part of me that feels that the racial issue is becoming a distraction to what we need to be paying attention to. i don't even care what he uttered whether it was coon or punk. i don't care about some of the distracting -- it's like magic. you have misdirection. i care that this kid is dead and if zimmerman had stayed in his car like he was prompted to do
12:19 am
by 911, this child would not be dead. >> what do you say to people? you lived in had chicago for a couple years. the death rate in chicago of young black men is terrible. a lot of it comes from other black young men killing each other. what do you say? people say this is not the right issue to blow up like it has. there are more important issues for the young black man in america, like in chicago right now, where dozens, hundreds are being killed on the streets every year. you've been vocal about this before. what do you feel about that? >> in this situation, i don't think it's a case of working on either/or. it's about working on all of it. there is something that needs to be done with black men and black on black crime. but just because that exists, this unto itself is something totally different. we have to deal with this. i was watching csi the other night. it was a repeat.
12:20 am
it made me start thinking because justin bieber was shot. if i shot justin bieber, would i be out tonight? >> no. this is my fundamental point. and i agree with you. you have to try and deal rationally and the reality of what's happened here. the reality is i just find this stand your ground thing as being used as some kind of weird excuse to not deal with what has happened. and zimmerman in the end may go through a trial and be acquitted. the facts may later show is justified under that law in florida. but to let him go home on the the night when he's killed a young black teenager, i find that incomprehensible. >> is it me? is it the community? or do you feel like this is taking too long? i don't know law in florida. but i just don't think i'd still be out if i shot a young man who was trying to get 70 more feet to his father.
12:21 am
>> what do you say to your son? how old is your son? >> he's 12. >> he's arsenio jr. what do you say to him post trayvon martin about walking on his own now? >> i'm totally confused. because i always said respect law enforcement, but don't respect strangers because they are tricky. they will tell you i'm a friend of dad's. they will tell you about candy and puppies. i don't know what to tell him now because a stranger who i would tell my son to resist and never talk to even, you try to run as fast as you can or walk as fast as you can. now i don't know what to say because if you don't stop for people in certain areas of this country, you can be shot for not -- piers, this man shouldn't have been able to tell this boy to stop. put your hands behind your back. none of that. >> none of his business. this is my sense. what's it got to do with him? trayvon martin wasn't breaking
12:22 am
any laws. >> if you're barnby jones, the kid is with his dad. you should know this face. >> let's move on to "celebrity apprentice." i took the title home. but what a brutal experience. how did you find it? >> i think the squariest thing is when you get there and they take your phone and give you one. i'm like this is serious. this is worse than being an o.j. juror. there's people around me that's just as dumb. but the bottom line is it was the real deal. and at first, it's kind of cute. the camera is in your face all the time. then in it two weeks, you start to miss your family. you get sexually frustrated. i decided i was going to approach it like ali. i was going to approach it with no sex for the entire time with
12:23 am
total focus on what was going on. >> there's no time for any sex. >> that too. >> they lock you up in this tower. >> he gives you a little time for laundry and sex on sunday if you want to do that. but on sunday, i just want to chill and watch the jets. >> you're raising money for the magic johnson foundation. magic just bought the dodgers. what a moment for him and america. did you ever think the day would come that you'd have magic johnson owner of the dodgers and barack obama president of the united states? in your lifetime? >> it's amazing. what's most amazing is that i know one of those guys. that's so frightening that my friend bought the dodgers. and it's so weird to talk to him because magic has such a wonderful life and he's such a progressive businessman. we can be at dinner, and i feel so bad with my contribution to the conversation because he'll just say i bought some tv
12:24 am
stations and the dodgers. and i will be like -- >> he's such a nice guy. i thought what a charming man. but the amazing thing for you is you interviewed him 20 years ago when he made his big announcement about being hiv positive. that was an incredibly-emotional show. because it seemed like a death sentence. >> to let him know i was going to retire and that whole thing. this young man he cried like a baby. we both did. >> you don't have to tell that part. you're telling the wrong part. >> they know the hard side of you. he came to my side and it was really beautiful. so that's the type of person you see here every night. >> okay. two things. one, fantastic. >> it looked like the big box of crayolas fell on top of me. >> what is that jacket? great that magic is still here, but that jacket. >> i was trying to cheer people
12:25 am
up. >> where is that jacket? >> at peter max's house. >> i have to leave it there. you're a fantastic stand in host for me. you were the most popular. everyone loved you. you had a great interview. you almost did me out of a job. >> it was so cool to sit on the front of a bus. this is a classy operation. >> we loved having you. take care. coming up, he's been haunted for 50 years by what happened in dallas. that's next. [ male announcer ] every day thousands of people are choosing advil®. here's one story. pain doesn't have much of a place in my life. i checked the schedule and it's not on it. [ laughs ] you never know when advil® is needed. well most people only know one side of my life. they see me on stage and they think that that is who i am. singer, songwriter, philanthropist, father, life's a juggling act. when i have to get through the pain, i know where to go. [ male announcer ] take action. take advil®. and if pain keeps you up,
12:26 am
sleep better with advil pm. and if pain keeps you up, nno matter what you do. when you're living with moderate to severe crohn's disease, there are times it feels like your life... revolves around your symptoms. if you're tired of going around in circles, it may be time to ask your gastroenterologist about humira. because with humira, remission is possible. humira has been proven to work for adults who have tried other medications... but still experience the symptoms of moderate to severe crohn's disease.
12:27 am
in clinical studies, the majority of patients on humira saw significant symptom relief. and many achieved remission. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal events, such as infections, lymphoma, or other types of cancer, have happened. blood, liver and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure have occurred. before starting humira, your doctor should test you for tb. ask your doctor if you live in or have been to a region where certain fungal infections are common. tell your doctor if you have had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have symptoms such as fever, fatigue, cough, or sores. you should not start humira if you have any kind of infection. if you're tired of going around in circles, get headed in a new direction. ask your gastroenterologist about humira today. remission is possible.
12:28 am
12:29 am
i feel so strongly that the white house should have a finer collection of american pictures. so important the setting in which the president is presented to the world. american people should be part of it. >> a famed white house picture from jacqueline kennedy. clint hill was the secret service agent assigned to the first lady. he jumped into the trunk of a limousine when the president was assassinated in dallas. he's just written a new book. it's an honor to have you with me. you and i met a few months ago in new york at a bar. i was introduced to you by your publisher.
12:30 am
i had no idea about your story. as it began to unfold, you were that secret service agent. the man who jumped on the back of the limousine after president kennedy was shot. i was talking to somebody who is a living piece of american history. for that reason, it is a great honor to have you on the show tonight. before we come to the fateful day that that happened, tell me first of all about the reality of jacqueline kennedy. the woman behind the myth. you must have seen and heard so much nonsense about her over the last four or five decades. what was she really like? >> that was one of the reasons i really thought this book should be written is that most people really didn't know her. including members of the press who actually covered her during that period of time. but they told me some of those live in washington and they didn't know her. she was a wonderful lady. very concerned about her children and her husband.
12:31 am
just had a great sense of humor. very athletic. loved to ride horses. was an accomplished -- loved to play tennis and golf. just wanted to be active all the time. at the same time, she was extremely intelligent and was very involved in trying to restore the white house to the way she thought it should be. >> nobody was closer to you were for the four years that you were on her specific detail. there's been massive conjecture over the years about the marriage and relationship she had with john f. kennedy. what was the reality? how did they get on when the door was closed and they were left with just agents like you who saw everything? >> they were very close. very much in love. they respected each other very much. they came even closer after the death of patrick.
12:32 am
they expressed it more openly holding hands and things of that nature. so i mean, they were a loving couple. and she supported him in every way she could. so they worked together very much as a team. they were both very, very interested in how the children were raised and that they not be spoiled. that they grew up in a very normal childhood. as much as possible considering they were the children of the president of the united states. >> you were there with jacqueline kennedy both when their son john jr. was born and also as you said when patrick so sadly died. you were there at the most incredibly intimate moments. did you ever feel -- how did you feel? how do you feel when you're an agent that's so close to somebody who was at the time the
12:33 am
most famous person married to the equally most famous person on the planet? and you're witnessing such private moments of great joy and great despair? >> i had a great deal of concern about their welfare. i wanted to make sure everything was done to keep her safe and healthy and the baby as well. in the first case with john jr. that turned out well. and patrick unfortunately he developed a lung problem and died three days later. but we gave them as much privacy as possible. we wanted to create an environment around them that was safe for them to function as a family and to live their life as they wanted to live it. enjoying the things they should enjoy. making it possible for them to do those things that they wanted to do without interference. >> let's take a short break. i want to come back and talk to you about that day in dallas
12:34 am
when the president was assassinated and the extraordinary role you played. you're seen on the iconic footage running towards the back of the limousine, jumping on it and leaping towards the first lady. we'll come back after the break and discuss this. [ male announcer ] this is lawn ranger -- eden prairie, minnesota. in here, the landscaping business grows with snow. to keep big winter jobs on track, at&t provided a mobile solution that lets everyone from field workers to accounting, initiate, bill, and track work in real time.
12:35 am
you can't live under a dome in minnesota, that's why there's guys like me. [ male announcer ] it's a network of possibilities -- helping you do what you do... even better. ♪ uh, nope. just, uh, checking out my ad. nice. but, you know, with every door direct mail from the postal service, you'll find the customers that matter most: the ones in your neighborhood. print it yourself, or we'll help you find a local partner. and postage is under 15 cents. i wish i would have known that cause i really don't think i chose the best location. it's not so bad. i mean you got a deal... right? [ bird cries ] go online to reach every home, every address, every time with every door direct mail.
12:36 am
12:37 am
1963 one of america's darkest days. clint hill was the secret service agent that ran to the back of the presidential limousine. clint, whenever you see those
12:38 am
images, what do you feel so long after that event? >> well, it never really leaves my consciousness. the sight of that is always in my mind. it's one of those things that you just will never be erased. it's a tragic moment in history. it's a tragic bond that mrs. kennedy and i shared, both being there and witnessing the event that occurred. >> you were standing, i think, on the side of the car that was behind the presidential limousine. you were the first lady's top secret service agent at the time. you're seen running towards the limousine and jumping on the back. she's reaching out to you. you are trying to put yourself between her and any further bullets. is that's what's going through your mind? >> yes. my objective was to get on top of the car and place myself over the top of the president and mrs. kennedy to shield them from further damage that might occur.
12:39 am
i was a little bit slow. and i just didn't get there in time. >> when did you realize that the president was probably dead? >> after i got up on the car and mrs. kennedy came up on the trunk to retrieve some material that had gone off to the right rear from the president's wound in his head. i put her back in the seat. when i did that, her body fell into her lap face up. i could see his eyes were fixed. there was a wound in the upper right rear of his head. i could see into his brain. part of the brain was missing. there was brain matter and bone fragments and blood spattered all over the rear of the car. we were sure at that time that the shot had been a fatal shot. >> i mean for any secret service agent to lose a president on their watch, i know how professional you all are and how seriously you take that responsibility.
12:40 am
how is that responsibility born down on you over the years since then? >> i've always felt a sense of guilt. i was the only agent present that had an opportunity to do anything because of the way everything happened. when the shots came in from the right rear, because i was on the left running board and my vision took me across the back of the president's car, i saw the president grabbing his throat and i knew something was wrong. none of the other agents could do that because they looked towards the shot and looked away from the president's car. i was the only one who had a chance. and that has ate at me throughout the years that i should have gotten there a little faster perhaps. close but not close enough. >> how much faster would you have needed to have got? are we talking a second or two seconds? when you look back on that, is there anything you could have done? >> i went back to dallas in 1990. and i walked the area.
12:41 am
i went up to look for the window where the shots came from. after examining the angles, i finally came to the conclusion that the advantages were all to the shooter that day. we had none. and there really wasn't anything more we could have done. >> how many people were on the detail that day? >> at that time, there were 34 assigned to the president, two of us assigned to mrs. kennedy, and three assigned to the children. but any one time, there were usually five agents working the president plus the driver and the agent in the right front seat of the car. >> on that day, there would have been less than ten people? >> yes. there were less than ten immediately around the president. there would have been another group of agents at the site we were going to. that was the trademark in dallas. there were some agents left at love field who were to secure love field for our return.
12:42 am
but actually with the president right around him, just a few of us. >> what did the first lady say to you as you were speeding to the hospital after this? was she able to speak to you at all? >> she was in shock. she really didn't talk to me. she made a couple comments. she said they shot his head off. she made a comment, what have they done? she didn't even realize i was there with her. she was reaching for that material from his head and finally realized i was there i guess. i put her in the backseat. but she didn't recall that at all. >> there have been a million conspiracy theories about what happened that day. you are probably better placed than most to make an accurate assessment of what really did happen. what do you feel happened? do you believe lee harvey oswald
12:43 am
was a man acting alone? >> yes. i have no question. it was lee harvey oswald. there were three shots. they all came from the 6th floor. that was it. >> when you think of your time with jackie kennedy, a remarkable intimacy with this incredible woman, an iconic figure in american history, what are the favorite memories you've had? we just discussed the worst memory. what's your favorite? >> we had some wonderful times. every summer she would go cruise the mediterranean. the summer of '61 we were cruising in greece. summer of '62 we were in italy on a big yacht. and summer of '63 we were in greece. then after the assassination, we were in italy. so we had some wonderful times cruising in the mediterranean.
12:44 am
and then we had spent time on the 4th of july or labor day or thanksgiving in palm beach. and other places where she could ride her horses and really enjoy herself. even camp david where it was private. she could do whatever she wanted. we had some wonderful times together. >> clint hill, it's a remarkable book. i recommend everyone goes and reads this. it's one of the most riveting books i have read in a long time. you received the medal of honor for your service to your country. you were brave that way putting your life potentially on the line as well. and i thank you for your service. and for joining me tonight. it's been a remarkable interview. thank you. >> thank you very much. we'll be right back after this break. an ingredient that works more naturally with your colon than stimulant laxatives, for effective relief of constipation without cramps. thanks.
12:45 am
good morning, students. today we're gonna continue... [ female announcer ] sometimes, all you need is the smooth, creamy taste of werther's original caramel to remind you that you're someone very special. ♪ werther's original caramels.
12:46 am
>> announcer: this is the day. the day that we say to the world of identity thieves "enough." we're lifelock, and we believe you have the right to live free from the fear of identity theft. our pledge to you? as long as there are identity thieves, we'll be there. we're lifelock. and we offer the most comprehensive identity theft protection ever created. lifelock: relentlessly protecting your identity. call 1-800-lifelock or go to lifelock.com today. [ kyle ] my bad. [ roger ] tell me you have good insurance. yup, i've got... [ kyle with voice of dennis ] ...allstate. really? i was afraid you'd have some cut-rate policy. [ kyle ] nope, i've got... [ kyle with voice of dennis ] ...the allstate value plan. it's their most affordable car insurance -- and you still get an allstate agent. i too have...[ roger with voice of dennis ]...allstate. [ roger ] same agent and everything. [ kyle ] it's like we're connected. no we're not. yeah, we are. no...we're not. ♪ the allstate value plan.
12:47 am
dollar for dollar, nobody protects you like allstate.
12:48 am
you know katherine jenkins from her position on "dancing with the stars." she has also has an extraordinary voice. she joins me now. how are you? >> i'm good. how are you? >> i can't believe what's happening to you.
12:49 am
you're my friend from britain with a voice and now you're conquering america with the dance floor. i didn't know you could dance like this. can you believe what's going on here? >> no. i signed up because i wanted to do something that was really fun and thought i would enjoy it. and i'm a fan of the show. i didn't prepare myself for how much i would enjoy it. i'm having the the best time. >> american viewers have been watching this wondering who on earth you are, most of them. i knew you. in britain you sold six million albums. you're known as a singing star. is it weird to be over here now with this huge army of new fans? you think, katherine jenkins, great dancer? >> it is funny because i have been here to make albums, it's been sort of under the radar. now going out to dinner or, you know, being out -- >> paparazzi hunting you down. i know how camera shy you are.
12:50 am
>> people want to talk about dancing. >> are you having fun or is it incredibly hard work? >> it's incredibly hard work, but it's fun. i have a great partner in mark ballas. we are friends. we hit it off. sometimes you can tell. >> is he single? >> no, he's got a girlfriend. stop match making. >> because you're single at the moment. >> i am single, yes. >> impossible to believe that you are. >> well, i'm newly single which is why i need to have something like the dancing to focus on. i'm not ready for that. >> it's been a tough time. >> it was. it only happened at the end of last year and we were engaged so it's -- >> a lovely chap, i'm very sorry it didn't work out for you. but there are lots of men watching this who are not quite so sorry you're back on the market. the other thing that happened to you, the moment you reared your pretty little face in america, people have tried to shoot you down. and they have been bringing up
12:51 am
all this stuff and of course the big thing was katherine in drug shocker. >> yes. >> i was watching this, wow, i don't remember that. it was from our interview. >> i know. >> let's get this out of the way. >> yes. >> because you're not a terrible drug fiend. this something that happened a long way back in your life. what do you want to say about it? >> this is something to me that feels like old news. you know, i decided to come out and talk about with it. because it's something that i -- it was kind of just being young and stupid and in my teens and experimenting with things that yes, i regret and i definitely shouldn't have done, but i wanted to talk about it and be honest. one of the dancers said to me the other day, oh, yeah, we had you in rehab. i was like no. it wasn't -- it wasn't anything like that. i never had a problem. but i felt like hopefully if i came out and talked about it and talked about it that something that i have moved on from massively that might help somebody in a way. but my life is so different from then. and i certainly couldn't be like that now.
12:52 am
>> you have sung with the greatest stars in the world. you have had this amazing career as a singer. now the whole new thing with the dancing. what's been the big high for you professionally outside of what's going on now? >> obviously, going out to entertain the troops in afghanistan and iraq. that is something that's become a real passion of mine. i'm a huge supporter of the military. i think they do an incredible job. when i get invited to go out and sing for them, some of the best moments of my life. >> i have to say, you're looking in dazzlingly good shape at the moment. >> thank you. >> bordering on quite skinny. what's going on here? >> i know. my mom is over from wales to make sure i'm eating properly. >> your mom is sitting five feet away on guard making sure i don't do anything naughty to your daughter. if you should win -- >> don't say that. >> we'll touch both aspects. if you were, it would change things for you here. is the dream still that you would have a huge singing career in america?
12:53 am
is that the ultimate holy grail for any big singer now do you think? >> well, i think, you know, singing has always been my big passion in life. you know, i'd love to come here and perform more. but honestly in terms of this being a competition, i can't think past the next elimination that's how i'm thinking about it. i want to not think about the pressure and just see this as a really fun opportunity. and i think that's hopefully the way to handle it all. >> we mentioned your mother is here. your father sadly died. what do you think he'd make of his little girl now conquering america on the dance floor? >> oh, well, you know, i hope that he would be -- he would be happy and proud and i know he's with me. i actually have a little word him. like i do when i'm singing i have a little word before i step on the dance floor, dad, get my steps right, help me along. i know he's with me. >> well, he's doing a good job. congratulations. you're flying a flag for britain and wales and you must come back
12:54 am
and we'll do a longer interview and i want to get you singing on the set. >> i'd like that. >> quite terrifying when your lungs open. katherine, lovely to see you again. katherine jenkins. good luck to her on "dancing with the stars" next week. coming up next, only in america. [ male announcer ] a car is either luxury or it isn't. if you want a luxury car with a standard power moonroof, your options are going to be limited. ♪ if you want standard leather-trimmed seats, you're going to have even fewer. ♪ and if you want standard keyless access, then your choice is obvious.
12:55 am
the lexus es. it's complete luxury in a class full of compromises. see your lexus dealer. for a hot dog cart. my mother said, "well, maybe we ought to buy this hot dog cart and set it up someplace." so my parents went to bank of america. they met with the branch manager and they said, "look, we've got this little hot dog cart, and it's on a really good corner. let's see if we can buy the property." and the branch manager said, "all right, i will take a chance with the two of you." and we've been loyal to bank of america for the last 71 years.
12:56 am
12:57 am
12:58 am
for tonight's only in america, you need to think in little buford, wyoming. nobody thinks bigger than the resident don sammins whose presence looms large over every crevice of the place. he mans the trading post. he only has his own zip code. he's the big kahuna, but that's hardly surprising given he's the only resident. yes, don sammins lives alone in buford and has done for several decades. he is the town. which may sound pretty lonely but it has its advantages. when it comes to public gripes and grievances, don always has the last word. >> meetings are always fun. i usually win most of those. any discussions i'm at the top. people are amazed they can meet
12:59 am
the entire town in just a flash. >> i bet president obama would love that. don's utopia may be over. toda beau ford went on the auction block. you get five building, ten acres of land and a convenience store and of course the potential joy of don for company. the bidding was intense. and in the end, buford went for a whopping 900,000 bucks. the winning bid came from two mysterious buyers from vietnam. we don't know who they are, but you can be sure that don does and the trouble is he doesn't like it. nope, he's moving. he's going to leave buford and go live near his son, a long way from buford. buford without don sammins? it's just unthinkable. that's all for us tonight. "ac 360" starts now.

70 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on