Skip to main content

tv   Anderson Cooper 360  CNN  April 17, 2012 4:00am-5:00am EDT

4:00 am
we begin tonight with breaking news in the trayvon martin case. the attorney for george zimmerman who's charged with second degree murder has filed paperwork to have a new trial judge. mark o'mara is asking for the circuit court judge to recuse herself because of a possible conflict of interest. this is where it gets complicated. o'mara became zimmerman's attorney after being recommended by mark nejame who cnn hired as a legal analyst. you've seen him on our air. he's an orlando lawyer. he's also the law partner of the judge. the judge's husband. their firm turned down the case when zimmerman asked them to represent him. they referred him no mark o'mara who filed the recusal file today. he joins me now. mark, thanks for being with us. earlier this afternoon you filed the motion to recuse the judge. are you confident it is going to be granted? >> yes, i do. the way their rule is set up is once the presentation is made by
4:01 am
verified motion, the court should grant it. she could have an inquiry if she wanted to. i don't think she will. i think she will grant it and move it on to another judge. >> are you surprised she didn't recuse herself? she brought this up the other day. it certainly could -- whether or not there's conflict of interest, someone could argue there's the appearance of a conflict of interest. >> exactly. and there is an opportunity for the judge to do that. however, also in the rules provided, it's the attorneys that present the rules to the judge, and if it's reasonably well founded it could be granted. it could be by the judge initially but us doing it through motion is just as well. >> today cnn along with other news organizations petitioned the court for sealing court records in zimmerman's prosecution that you requested last week, an order that you requested last week. why do you feel the records should be sealed? >> well, my initial concern is that i knew there was going to be information flowing into the court file that included witnesses' names, telephone numbers, addresses, information
4:02 am
about trayvon martin in there as well. my concern is with the publicity this case has gotten so far and with the interest from all sorts of people that there may be a concern for some safety to some of those people should addresses be given out. >> if personal information about witnesses or individuals attached to the case were redacted from the records and the records were released in that form, would that be acceptable to you? or is this part of wanting to -- when i talked to you a couple days ago, you said you wanted to dial don't pressure or the focus on this. is that part of this? >> yes, it is. i mean, it's an overall philosophy of trying to keep the information flow concentrated within the court system. it's much better handled there. again, if information like this, even a police report with names on it gets out, then my concern is that they're going to be spoken to. they're going to be questioned. there's going to be four, five different statements from this one witness, let's say. then we have to sift through all of that to try to get to the truth. >> how often are you in communication now with george zimmerman and how is he doing?
4:03 am
>> daily basis. at least a couple times a day. and again, he's doing well physically. he wants out. he is certainly frightened as to what's going on. he's very concerned with the process. but i think he understands it. >> you said he's frightened about what's going on? >> well, he's -- >> i'm sorry. is that the word you used? >> yes. frightened. >> okay. in terms of the actual meetings, are they face to face or over the telephone? >> face to face and over the telephone. i saw him this afternoon. spoke to him again on the phone. i try to get to see him at least every couple of days, particularly during the time he's in. hopefully he'll be out soon. >> you have a bond hearing coming up this friday. what do you think the likelihood is that he could actually get out? >> well, a bond scheduler says it's a no bond status until the judge reviews it. when the judge reviews it, he does or she does what we call an author inquiry, basically where the case where you're going to keep somebody in
4:04 am
pretrial which i would consider pretrial punishment because they've not been convicted of anything yet. then the court has to look at it. and in a case like this, decide that the proof is evident and the presumption great. proof, of course, evidence. evidence, look at webster's for for a definition of what evident is. evidence would seem to be corroborated, unopposed, undeniable. then the presumption of guilt has to be great. our case law has interpreted that standard, the standard to apply in an author inquiry to be greater than beyond a reasonable doubt. so if the judge follows the law, the judge would have to make a determination that the proof of guilt is evident -- i'm sorry, yeah. the proof is evident and the presumption is great. i'm hoping that the judge is not going to decide that. and we'll get him out on friday. of course, maybe for the last day or two i'm going to be able to argue ignorance because i haven't seen the discovery yet.
4:05 am
i hope to see of it before bride so i can be properly prepared for the hearing and know what they're going to state. >> if he did get out, are you concerned about his safety? >> very concerned about his safety. the concern, of course is once we get him out, and i believe he deserves to be out. and i need him out for our defense purposes. we need to keep him safe. again, there's been a lot of emotions that have come forward in this case. and some of those emotions are showing themselves in bad ways. and i'm just hopeful that we can get him out, keep him safe, and then give me the time to do my job. >> mark o'mara, appreciate your time. thank you. let's talk about what today's legal filings mean for the trial ahead. joining me mark geragos and cnn legal analyst and former prosecutor, sunny hostin. mark, do you think the judge
4:06 am
should have recruiused herself m the case? >> well, i don't know if she should have. she obviously had to disclose it. i think now the paperwork's been filed, i think she will recuse herself. she's in a no-win situation. if she rules for him, somebody's going to say well, you know, there's a connection because the husband referred the case over. if she rules against him, they're going to say, well, the husband's firm turned him down. why be second guessed? the easier thing is to take her out of the mix. >> sunny, you said there's another reason o'mara might want her out. >> well, bottom line is this is a very new judge. she hasn't presided over a homicide case. she's only been on the bench a year. she's sort of the x-factor. mark omw o'mara doesn't know he. he would know the other three judges. this is sort of a win/win. she just got assigned for the case randomly. now he gets the chance to probably be in front of judges he's be in front of before. that's a good place for an attorney to be. >> the sealed court records, does that help one side of the defense more than the other? >> i always think, frankly, that
4:07 am
sealed court records help the defense. because generally what you're sealing is the prosecution's records. the defense records are generally in the defense lawyer's file. you don't necessarily, until you file a motion, put in things like your theory and other witness statements, things like that. so what you're trying to prevent from getting out there is prosecution evidence. and a lot of times the evidence that is put in by a prosecution into a police report report, probable cause statements, things like that, are stuff that may never reach a courtroom. and in a case like this, that's sup supersized, you don't want that out there. you don't want the witnesses -- and we mentioned this last week when you were interviewing the witnesses. you start to get witness statements out there and people start talking about it and things of that nature. that never helps the defense. >> do you think they'll reverse that order to unseal the records? >> i think so. florida with the sunshine laws is really transparent especially the court system. i think your questions to o'mara were really so good, anderson.
4:08 am
i wonder sometimes if you don't have a law degree. >> stop trying to butter me up. >> i was going to say the same thing, but i didn't want to suck up to you. >> okay. all right. >> the bottom line is they can redact witness names. they can redact the information that is of great concern. so i would imagine that in looking at the standard, there's no doubt that a lot of this information will be made public but in a redacted form. >> mark, explain to people who -- you know, having no legal background, i'm always a little surprised by when a lawyer says i haven't asked my client at this point about what happened that night. mark o'mara says he's waiting for whatever evidence the prosecution has for him to look at to see what he's dealing with before he talked to his client about that. explain why that would be. i mean, my instinct would be instantly tell me what happened. why is that not a good idea? >> tell me everything. >> yeah. >> i tell that to clients when they come in. i say, look, before i start questioning you, before i grind you, i want to see what the prosecution has. it's very simple. it's based on the fact that the prosecution has the burden of proof.
4:09 am
it's not a civil case where you're fighting over money and each side's got to tell their story. this is a criminal case. the prosecution's got the burden of proof. i want to know what they have. before i grill the client, i want to see what prosecution has, and i am going to learn their case, learn it as much as they do. then i'm going to go to my client and maybe start to cross examine him basically on what he knows and what he doesn't know. >> is there a danger for a defense attorney to hear too much from his client or her client? >> absolutely. let me give you a perfect example. if i start asking my client questions before i know the discovery, my client then has told me something. i'm locked into that. at a certain point, i cannot ethically put that client on the stand if the client is going to -- his memory's going to evolve. he's going to remember something he didn't know before. if i suspect that he's not telling the truth, i'm in between and i'm conflicted. so yes, there's a problem with that. >> by not asking your client at this stage in the game you are protecting yourself as well as your client, really.
4:10 am
>> well, i'm protecting the client more than anything else. protecting myself is the last of my worries. what i want to make sure is i understand the prosecution's case, that i hold them to their duty which is proof beyond a reasonable doubt. and that i'm not making it easier for them. >> do you think, sunny, he will get bond? do you think he'll get out? >> i think so. i think when you -- >> on friday? this soon? >> if it's on friday, yeah. if you look at the standard, it's clear that the judge -- that the state has to prove that he should be held. and the judge could still release him if he isn't a flight risk. he isn't because he turned himself in. if he is a danger to the community, that's a tougher question. if he has ties to the community. i suspect there will be some sort of bond situation here. depends whether or not he can meet the requirements because they should be pretty stringent. >> mark, do you agree with that? >> i agree. i think that if you take a look at the law, he should get bail. whether he gets out is a completely different question. because i don't think, frankly,
4:11 am
he's got the wherewithal or the means to post any significant bail. i mean, pretty much -- we face this situation all the time in the courts. somebody gives you bail but you don't have the wherewithal to bail out. >> mark geragos, sunny hostin thanks. let us know what you think. follow us on facebook, google plus, follow me on twitter @andersoncooper. i'll be tweeting ahead. plenty of buzz about the people who were supposed to be protecting president obama in colombia, they're charged with dealing with prostitutes. new developments tonight ahead. at e-trade, our free easy-to-use online tools and experienced retirement specialists can help you build a personalized plan. and with our no annual fee iras and a wide range of low cost investments, you can execute the plan you want at a low cost. so meet with us, or go to etrade.com for a great retirement plan with low cost investments.
4:12 am
♪ for a great retirement plan with low cost investments. greetings from the people here sure are friendly but some have had a hard time understanding my accent. so to make sure people get every word of the geico savings message i've been practicing how to talk like a true chicagoan. switching to geico could save you hundreds of dollars on car insurance... da bears. haha... you people sure do talk funny. geico®. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance.
4:13 am
[ gnome ] bonjour americans! enjoying your holiday? ooo no. the hotel lost our reservation, so nonsense! you book at travelocity, your reservation's guaranteed. well, i didn't book with travelocity. you didn't use travelocity? i did not book with travelocity, okay?!? [ female announcer ] get the travelocity guarantee anywhere when you book with our new app. you'll never roam alone. the sleep number bed. the magic of this bed is that you're sleeping on something that conforms to your individual shape. wow! that feels really good. you can adjust it to whatever your needs are. so whatever you feel like, the sleep number bed's going to provide it for you. now, sleep number redefines memory foam, combining coolfit gel foam with sleep number adjustability. during the final days of our white sale, receive $400 in free bedding. only at the sleep number store,
4:14 am
where queen mattresses start at just $699. new developments in the secret service prostitution scandal. sources telling john king that it involves 11 secret service employees and 10 department defense personnel. all of whom were to protect president obama in colombia. all 11 have had their security clearance revoked. they're all under investigation accused of bringing prostitutes back to a hotel secured for members of the american delegation. again, that's 11 secret service
4:15 am
employees and ten from the defense department. today an embarrassed chairman of the joint chiefs had this to say. >> we let the boss down. because nobody's talking about what went on in colombia other than this incident. so to that extent, we let him down. >> joining us now with more late details, chief white house correspondent, jessica yellin. what is the latest you're hearing about this? >> the details are sorted for these guys. it happened two days before the president arrived. according to multiple government officials, the people involved ranged in experience from relative newcomers to nearly 20-year veterans. we're told they went out in separate groups on wednesday night. then one secret service agent let a prostitute stay overnight in his room. then there was a dispute over payment. the hotel called local police. police filed a report. that report went to the american embassy. you can see where this goes. the embassy alerted secret service headquarters and it all unravelled from there. >> how big -- it's obviously embarrassing for the secret
4:16 am
service, totally distracted from the summit in colombia. how big a deal is this for compromising presidential security? >> you know, the service maintains the president's security was never compromised because these guys routinely lock up sensitive documents and the president wasn't even in the country yet. but the real question is what if? i've spoken to many former agents in the last few days. they say one thing they're taught specifically is to avoid prostitutes for fear of possible blackmail even years down the line, when an agent could be promoted into the president's protective detail. and having personally traveled with the president, i'm most surprised they bring these women back to a staff hotel where white house officials would be staying in a few days. >> i want to bring in a journalist, ronald kessler. author of "in the president's secret service." you say this is the biggest scandal to hit the secret service. how did this happen? >> well, since i broke the story, of course it's the biggest. but it is a symptom of the lax attitude of secret service
4:17 am
management. we saw that come out in the fact that the salahis were able to crash the white house state dinner. in my book "in the president's secret service," i reveal dozens of examples of corner-cutting by management. allowing people into events without magnetometer screening, for example. it's just like letting people into an airplane without magnetometer screening, for example. that alone is shocking. >> you put the responsibility on mark sullivan, you're a critic of his? >> yeah. obviously these people engaged in egreen egregious behavior and there could have been compromises, they could have
4:18 am
been blackmailed. but i think that when people on the grounds see that the boss really doesn't care, is sort of winking and nodding, is lax and is over working them and is showing favoritism, one example they don't even insist on regular physical fitness testing or regular firearms re-qualification testing. sometimes they will ask agents to fill out their own test scores on these things, which is just dishonest. they are also not keeping up to date with the latest firearms. one example of what goes on is that when dick cheney's daughter, mary, was under protection, she would try to get her agents to take her friends to restaurants. they're not taxi drivers. they refused as they should have. but she threw a fit. because of this she was able to get her detail leader removed by secret service management. so what does that tell the agents on the ground? it tells them if we do our job, we might be removed. and that's what happened with the salahis. you had secret service uniformed officers who knew that they were not on the guest list and a
4:19 am
third also not on the list, carlos allen, a story which i also revealed. and yet they ignored that. why? because they were afraid that gee, if they turned them away, and they were supposed to be on the list, that management would not back them up. all this culture filters down and i think led to this really scandalous situation. >> jessica, the president has indicated he'd be angry if these allegations were confirmed. do you expect he's going to personally have more to say on this? or is the white house eager to move on? >> eager to move on definitely. they'd rather focus on policy agenda. and the body language at the white house is for now at least this can be handled by the secret service. let's be honest, this is an election year. the president has to demonstrate leadership. this is the same head of the secret service who was in charge when the salahi scandal happened. he's been there since 2006. the service has to handle this quickly and decisively to
4:20 am
insulate the white house from any political fallout here if they don't want the president to intervene. >> ronald kessler, appreciate you being on. jessica yellin, thanks. the latest on the syria pea cease-fire and the latest in the assad regime's broken promises. we'll talk to ambassador susan rice who has no problem called assad basically a liar. what's the u.s. going to do about it? that's next.
4:21 am
4:22 am
4:23 am
4:24 am
keeping them honest. one of america's top diplomats using blunt language tonight about syria's murderous regime, acknowledging what we've been reporting night after night. thousands of syrian murder victims won't be forgotten. and their killer won't get away with it. tonight i spoke with u.s. ambassador susan rice. she said the regime there has lied about slaughtering victims. the biggest liar she says, is the dictator, bashar al assad. here he is on the left, in homs,ed day he promised to pull out tanks and troops, to stop the shelling, stop the killing. there on the right, that very day, video of his forces pounding other parts of that same city. that day, march 27th, 57 syrians died mostly in homs, according to opposition figures. the regime then killed hundreds more between then and april 12th when the ceasefire went into effect. keeping them honest. today four days into the cease fire as u.n. monitors arrived in syria, the opposition is reporting 55 people killed. that's homs today. bombardment continues.
4:25 am
u.n. commission on syria today reporting that it's "seriously concerned" about reports of forces using heavy weaponry against the population. [ speaking in foreign language ] >> the video claiming to be from yesterday in homs. you can hear large explosion of incoming heavy artillery. you can hear and see it's a bombardment of explosions coming just seconds apart. today's u.n. statement acknowledges violations as well on the part of opposition forces. in this video, there appears to be an exchange of gunfire going on between sides. however, opposition fighters don't have much more than ak-47s and rpgs, rocket propelled grenades.
4:26 am
the syrian army has been pummelling homs and the damascus suburbs. the syrian army that still has tanks like this one in homs. assad, remember, promised to as always, we can't independently verify what you're seeing, when a video was taken or where, but by now no one seriously doubts it. what you're seeing is the ugly truth and has been for a long time. quote, the commission also hopes that the ceasefire will contribute to putting an end to the gross human rights violations that it has been reporting on over the past six months. that we've been documenting for more than a year now. however, in all that time, the assad regime has yet to keep really a single promise. i spoke about all the broken promises tonight with america's ambassador to the u.n., susan rice. ambassador rice, in november last year, syria agreed to an
4:27 am
arab league plan to halt the violence. they kept on killing. march 27th of this year assad agreed to the peace plan the same day 57 people were killed according to activists. this past tuesday when syria was to pull troops out of urban centers, 101 people were killed. on thursday, when the proposed cease-fire was set to take effect, another 77 people were killed. why should anyone believe at this point anything this regime says? >> there's every reason, anderson, to be exceedingly skeptical. and the united states certainly is. the russians and the chinese who have been protecting assad and the security council for many, many months, however, have in the past couple of weeks stepped up the pressure on assad. i think it's as a result of that that he agreed to the end in plan. and began a cessation of violence which did hold largely for a couple of days, thursday and friday. he resumed the shelling of homs on saturday and has continued and intensified. so really, the onus remains on assad and those who are protecting him, to ensure that
4:28 am
he does, in fact, defy his pattern, and begin to uphold his commitment. the u.n. monitors, the first handful of whom on the ground, are not in the position to rule or enforce anything, nor is that their mandate. their role is to observe and verify a cessation, provided the parties, particularly the government actually adhere to their commitments, which thank you far they don't seem to be. >> the syrian government says the ceasefire was broken by armed terrorists. and they say the campaign of violence against them has hysterically escalated since the cease-fire was to be in effect this past thursday. you deal with syrian representatives all the time. i've had them on this program. they've said things that are not true. they've lied. they've said things that are demonstrably untrue time and time again. do you have any credibility to you? i don't even know if you can say that. >> no, they don't. let's be plain. you're right. they have lied to the
4:29 am
international community, lied to their own people, and the biggest fabricator of the facts is assad himself. his representatives are merely doing his bidding and under probably some not insignificant personal duress. but, no. words, as we have said repeatedly, are meaningless. the actions are what matter and the actions thus far have continued to disappoint. >> i don't know if you can answer this question, but what is it like to deal with people who are not telling you the truth on a daily basis and -- i mean, how do you deal with that? >> well, anderson, you would not be surprised that in diplomacy and national security matters and foreign affairs, the truth is not always the currency of choice for some of the countries we have to deal with. fortunately they are the minority. but they're some of the greatest troublemakers. that's why we don't take anybody at simply their word.
4:30 am
when they are abusers of human rights or states that have used violence against their own people or neighbors, we have to hold them to their actions. and we have to apply meaningful pressure that has a viable prospect of potentially changing their behavior. >> at what point does military intervention of some sort become inevitable or a real possibility? >> i don't know at what stage anything becomes inevitable in this business, anderson. the reality is that these are very, very complicated circumstances. syria's even much more complicated, for instance, than libya. there isn't unity in the region among the arab countries or the neighbors for any kind of international intervention. there are differing views even among the internal and external opposition. the security council has been divided with russia and china opposing sanctions much less military intervention. and indeed the context on the ground is much different. whereas in libya, the opposition
4:31 am
controlled a major swath of territory beginning with the major city of benghazi and were able to push out from there. there's no such degree of unified geographic control on the ground, nor is there a degree of a unified military command within the opposition. so many of these factors are different. plus the fact that there are many powerful countries in the immediate neighborhood and beyond that are determined to back one side or the other to the hilt which raises the stakes quite dramatically in terms of consequences for the region. >> finally one question on north korea. you spoke today about the u.n. security council saying it strongly condemns north korea's failed missile launch attempt. after that attempt mitt romney said incompetence from the obama administration has emboldened the north korean regime and undermined the security of the united states and our allies. how do you respond to that? >> well, that's just completely
4:32 am
wrong. what has happened over the last many years in the past prior to this administration was north korea would behave badly and they were rewarded for their bad behavior with being taken off the terrorist list or food aid or what have you. this administration has given north korea nothing. and they won't be getting food aid as a consequence of violating their agreement. instead, we've imposed the toughest sanctions to date on north korea. we just enhanced them today in the security council with an agreement that not only strongly condemned the missile launch, but threatened further measures should there in fact be any further launches or nuclear test. and indeed today imposed additional sanctions. so the message that this administration has sent is, again, you will be judged by your actions not your words. there will be no rewards for bad behavior. and if you break your commitments, not only will you get nothing, you'll get increasing pressure and international isolation. that's what we have proved yet again today. >> ambassador rice, i appreciate your time. thank you. >> thank you. >> we're following a number of other stories tonight. isha is here with a 360 bulletin.
4:33 am
>> anderson, the trial got underway in oslo, norway today for a man accused of going on a shooting and bombing rampage last summer that killed 77 people. anders behring breivik says he acknowledges what happened, but pleads not guilty because he was acting in self-defense. the trial's expected to last ten weeks. >> in oklahoma today, pleas of not guilty were entered by a judge for two men charged in a murder spree this month. england and watts are accused of going into a black section of tulsa and shooting to death three people and wounding two others. they also face hate crimes charges. also in oklahoma, a sixth person has died as a result of injuries sustained in this weekend's tornadoes. all of the deaths occurred in woodward, oklahoma. dozens of twisters touched down in ten states across the midwest and the plains. the space shuttle "discovery" has been mounted atop a 747 at the kennedy space center. tomorrow it will make its final trip.
4:34 am
it will be flown to washington and its new home at the smithsonian. anderson, check this out. nature at its most fantastic. this is a fire ball erupting today on the left side of the sun. nasa refers to -- >> wow. >> i know. nasa refers to it as a giant prominence. that was accommodated bay solar flare. nasa says the eruption was not aimed at us. >> it's crazy. >> is that not the coolest thing you've seen today? >> yes. that is probably the coolest -- >> i know you don't see a lot of cool things, but that is a truly cool thing. >> that is amazing. also the image. did they happen to -- are they rolling on that all the time? did they know that was going to happen? >> i'll have to ask my people to check that. >> please do. >> but that is magnetic plasma you see there. >> i knew that. no, i didn't. >> i know you didn't. >> that's magnetic plasma? i don't know what that means. that's really cool. the other cool thing today that occurred is congratulations. you have a new program on cnni that launched.
4:35 am
>> yeah. >> so what time is it that on for people who have cnni? >> 3:30 p.m. eastern. we launched today. and it was a great start. so thank you so much for making it -- now i'm going to get all emotional and i'm going to cry. and you're going to ruin my make-up. >> it's well deserved. congratulations. >> thank you. speaking of international news, did you cover pippa middleton today? >> fairly enough, i passed on that one. >> really? >> yeah. >> well, you're very highbrow. we decided to cover it. the sister of the duchess of cambridge may be in trouble with the french police, and the royal family -- the person she was with pointed a gun at photographers. it was a big to do as they say. we'll have that story ahead.
4:36 am
4:37 am
4:38 am
4:39 am
pippa middleton, prince william's sister-in-law, may be in trouble tonight with the french police and the royal family. since serving as her sister's maid of honor in a dress that got rave reviews and attention around the world. pippa has been a model of good behavior. the constant attention and paparazzi has not gone away. they've only increased. over the weekend in paris, pippa was photographed in a convertible with three male friends in a convertible. the driver was holding a gun pointing it seemingly at the photographer. a lapse in judgment by any measure, but it might be much worse for pippa middleton. i talked earlier to cnn international business correspondent richard quest. so richard, pippa could actually
4:40 am
be facing criminal charges and possible jail time for this, right? >> oh, no question about it. the allegations are extremely serious. and if you look at the pictures from the sun newspaper, you see quite clearly, one of the people in the front of the car pointing what is allegedly to be a gun. we don't know whether it's real or fake. but under french law that wouldn't matter one way or the other. all the others in the car could also be charged with offenses. now, depending on the exact nature of the offense they will be charged with, it could be anything from two years to seven years. but that is at the upper end and extreme end. this will all now be decided by the police which will put the facts before an examining magistrate who will then decide whether charges should go forward. but the important thing here is besides the folly of what they were up to, the important thing is that the anguish and angst
4:41 am
this has raised in france and in paris, where the country is still reeling from some grotesque serial murders. >> to the royals, is this a big deal? have they put out a statement or anything like that? >> absolutely not a word. which tells and speaks volumes. they will be working out what to do. on the one hand, pippa is not a member of the royal family as such. her sister is married and is part of the royal family. so the royal family, buckingham palace, will not comment at this stage. the spokesperson hasn't commented at this stage. everybody is -- my gut feeling is everybody is waiting and watching to see how this plays out. >> she's got a lot of attention in the united states since the wedding. is she as big a source of interest over there? >> the picture editor of "the daily mail" newspaper is quoted as saying he gets 400 photos a
4:42 am
day. now, unlike the duchess of cambridge, who has now got royal security, when she goes somewhere, it is carefully controlled. she is within the royal bubble. and although she has a lot of attention, she enjoys the protection. pippa middleton is on the outside of that. and it must be -- although she's had this for some years, it must be quite dramatic. she now knows she is suffering in some ways the sort of attention that diana post divorce had. no security, no protection. free for all for the paparazzi. open game for anyone that wants to go after her. in that scenario, this is the sort of thing that happens. frankly, she hasn't put a foot wrong so far. this is the first. she's probably got a bit of grace because of it, but the warning signs are there. >> richard quest, thanks. it's worthwhile to know that 15
4:43 am
years ago, this august princess diana died in a car crash in paris while being followed by paparazzi. technically speaking, pippa middleton is not a royal, but they are not known for splitting hairs. she's become one of their favorite targets. gary tuchman takes a look. >> reporter: at the highly anticipated royal wedding of prince william and kate middleton, all eyes were not only on the bride but another middleton. kate's younger sister, pippa. >> i have to say the look of pippa middleton, my word. >> i know. drop-dead gorgeous. >> reporter: the rave reviews for pippa's dress and figure turned her into an instant celebrity and a paparazzi favorite. the tabloids began calling her your royal hotness. photographers stalking her wherever she went. shortly after the wedding, personal pictures of the 28-year-old began to leak out to the press. including this photo showing her in a bikini while in 2006 with her sister and prince william.
4:44 am
a photo of pippa bathing topless on that trip was also made public. later photos from a private party showing pippa dancing in her bra were leaked. every day tasks for pippa like walking to work or going to get coffee, also became photo ops for the paparazzi. the photo editor at "the daily mail" said he would see 400 photos a day cross his desk. the fascination of pippa extends into all areas of her life. clothes, hats, boyfriends, rumored boyfriends, sometimes even her like of boyfriends. while she's tried to avoid the paparazzi, she's been gracious in the times she's spoken to a reporter. >> how are you doing? how's the race been so far? >> tiring. >> tiring? did you prepare for the race? >> yeah, i did prepare. >> how much? how long? >> couple of weekends. >> okay. so are you a good skier? from one to ten? >> average. >> so what time did you plan for?
4:45 am
>> to get around in time. >> good luck. >> reporter: the constant attention began to take its toll. and in january pippa threatened to take out an injunction to stop what she called harassment by photographers. saying it was causing her serious distress and anxiety. but the paparazzi continued to follow her. and this latest incident will certainly mean one more thing. more photographers following a woman who clearly doesn't want that. gary tuchman, cnn, atlanta. >> and isha's back. it seems totally unfair they're hounding this young woman and she has no protection from the royal family at all. >> yeah. i know, indeed. she's really left at the mercy of the british paparazzi which is relentless. and as we see, they're going after her, because they have access to her, unlike her sister. plus, i think because they don't have the access, it makes pippa all the more valuable. and really we're seeing them
4:46 am
approach her and follow her in the way they followed diana, so she's in an uncomfortable spot. >> and, of course, it's people's fascination with her that fuels the desire for the magazines, it fuels the photographers. so everybody plays a role in this. >> yeah. and she's good looking. she's good-looking, she's got the looks, she's got the connections. she's mixing in very high power circles, exclusive circles. and people want those images. and, you know, paparazzi and scandal and that kind of media is very popular in the uk. >> you'd think the royal family would give her some protection or something. i mean -- >> you would think. but she is not a royal, anderson. >> i know. but she's suffering because -- anyway. >> i know. i'm totally with you. but protocol is protocol. >> oh, right. right right. >> oh, tally-ho. >> bangers and mash. i don't know what that -- >> what's bangers and mash? >> i don't know. the only other thing i could think of, that popped into my head. >> good-bye. >> bye.
4:47 am
here's a real scandal, government official spends close to a million dollars in tax money on a lavish conference in las vegas and gets a bonus. he faced angry lawmakers on capitol hill today. so did his former boss. >> when you see this widespread abuse of money and you as the former administrator said they were entitled to it. that's where there's frustration just steaming out of our ears. >> hear more of the testimony when we come back. 't get thrown by curveballs. ♪ this is the age of knowing how to get things done. so, why let erectile dysfunction get in your way? talk to your doctor about viagra. 20 million men already have. ask your doctor if your heart is healthy enough for sex. do not take viagra if you take nitrates for chest pain; it may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. side effects include headache, flushing, upset stomach, and abnormal vision. to avoid long-term injury, seek immediate medical help for an erection lasting more than four hours. stop taking viagra and call your doctor right away if you experience a sudden decrease or loss in vision or hearing. this is the age of taking action.
4:48 am
viagra. talk to your doctor.
4:49 am
4:50 am
i tell you what i can spend. i do my best to make it work. i'm back on the road safely. and i saved you money on brakes. that's personal pricing. i'm isha sesay with a 360
4:51 am
news and business bulletin, starting with a follow-up in that stage collapse that killed seven and injured dozens more last summer at the indiana state fair. sugarland was set to go on when high winds toppled the stage. today there was testimony video from jennifer nettles, who says she was never asked to delay the snow. when asked if she felt responsible for the safety of her fans. she answered, no, saying, it's not my responsibility or my management's responsibility to evacuate fans in case of danger. the lawsuit claims sugarland knew about the approaching weather and could have delayed or cancelled the show. a heated exchange today at a congressional hearing about a general services administration conference in las vegas in 2010 that cost $800,000 in taxpayer money. former gsa head martha johnson resigned over the controversy. today she was grilled about the $9,000 bonus that gsa official
4:52 am
jeff neeley received after he organized the vegas event, at a time when there was a freeze on federal pay. when she was asked if she thought he was entitled to the bonus, republican congressman jason chaffetz erupted. >> when you see this widespread abuse of money, and you as the former administrator say, they were entitled to it, that's where there's frustration steaming out of our ears. it's totally unacceptable. and for the president of the united states to look the american people in the eye and say, we have a pay freeze in place, while you're getting bonuses and going on trips, it's totally unacceptable. >> republicans in the senate have blocked president obama's buffett rule which would have set a minimum 30% tax on millionaires and billionaires. the senate vote was 51-45,
4:53 am
mostly along party lines. if a statement after the vote, president obama said, senate republicans once again chose tax breaks for the wealthiest few americans at the expense of the middle class. three men face charges after allegedly stealing a penguin from sea world in australia. bragging about it online, and posting pictures it on facebook. the penguin was found last night, was apparently not hurt and is now back at seaworld. anderson? brace yourself for some serious cuteness. there's a clouded leopard cub sleeping and enjoying a scratch after his feeding. he was born a month ago. they are endangered, certainly wish this guy well. oh. look at the foot. >> loving that. >> very cute. >> life is good. a real heartbreaker for rock music. someone stole a bunch of guitars from tom petty and his band. she the earth's gravitational pull and hurtle us all into space. which would render retirement planning unnecessary.
4:54 am
but say the sun rises on december 22nd, and you still need to retire. td ameritrade's investment consultants can help you build a plan that fits your life. we'll even throw in up to $600 when you open a new account or roll over an old 401(k). so who's in control now, mayans? [ gnome ] bonjour americans! enjoying your holiday? ooo no. the hotel lost our reservation, so nonsense! you book at travelocity, your reservation's guaranteed. well, i didn't book with travelocity. you didn't use travelocity? i did not book with travelocity, okay?!? [ female announcer ] get the travelocity guarantee anywhere when you book with our new app. you'll never roam alone.
4:55 am
4:56 am
4:57 am
time now for the ridiculist. tonight we're adding the unknown perpetrator or perpetrators of a petty theft from the world of rock. some bonehead stole five guitars from tom petty and the heart breakers. including petty's vintage 1967 blond rickenbacher. a 1967 epiphone, a '65 gibson sg. sounds like i know a lot about guitars. doesn't it? i don't. the pictures and the descriptions are on the band's website. the guitars were stolen from a sound stage in culver city, california, where the band has been rehearsing for a tour that starts next week. it's just wrong, people. you don't steal from tom petty
4:58 am
and the heart breakers. you don't steal their guitars. that's like stealing picasso's paint brushes. hemingway's paint brushes. it's like stealing the doll hands from the sketch on snl. i love christian wiig. the point is, artists need their tools, and top petty and the heart breaker's tools are these guitars. exhibit a, the song, i should have known it from the 2010 album, mojo. ♪ this is the last time you're going to hurt me ♪ ♪ >> see. that just wouldn't work without guitars, would it? what do the thieves think they'll do with them anyway? they'll get caught if they try to sell them. maybe they got the idea from when the band covered the birds "so you want to be a rock and roll star." ♪ so you want to be a rock and roll star ♪ ♪ listen now hear what i say ♪ just give me an extra guitar ♪ take some time and learn how to play ♪
4:59 am
>> there was a line get a guitar and learn how to play. perhaps you should have specified get your own electric guitar. just because you stole their guitars, doesn't mean you're going to be able to play like mike campbell. that's right. mike campbell. i know my heart breakers. there's been a lot of fretting over this guitar case. but it could have been worse. in 1999, sonic youth had all their equipment stolen, guitars, amps, drums, everything. same thing happened to radio head in 1995. they had to borrow instruments from soul asylum on tour. some of these stories do have happy endings. peter of r.e.m. got his returned to him after it was stolen in 2008. and yo-yo ma even got his cello back after he forgot it in the trunk of a taxi. tom petty and the heart breakers are offering a $7,500 reward no questions asked leading to the recovery of their guitars. here's hoping they get them back. it's a senseless crime that has literally rocked us to the core. that's it for us. thanks for joining us. "early start" begins right now.

127 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on