Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom  CNN  May 23, 2012 3:00pm-4:00pm EDT

3:00 pm
we proceed by various on-the-record interviews and documentary evidence. that's what we want to look at. we're not interested in assertions or rumors or anything else. >> i don't want to speculate eith either, so i'm going to move you past that. people are throwing out this phrase, insider trading. these are just allegations. but could this, based upon what you know, might this lead to -- might this be akin to insider trading? >> well, it could be. spends on the specifics of the facts. what is a greater concern is different categories of investors. we need to be assured that every investor gets treated the same. everybody's money is just as good as everybody else's. people should not be treated as second class investors. >> here's what morgan stanley is saying. they're saying it follows the same procedures for the facebook offering that it follows for all
3:01 pm
ipos. so to your point here, faith in the market, assuring every investor. what is your assurance? right now here on national tv to all investors? all clients here on the market. >> the only way you can get assurance is by facts. we had a history in dealing with facts. that's why we fined goldman $10 million. they had a cat gorization called huddles withes in tors. and with analysts and traders. we 23450ed to get to the facts. that can only get done on the record. and with documentary evidence, it's imperative that morgan stanley respond immediately so they can clear the air here. if there's something to be pursued, we will pursue it. >> based on what you know, how would you characterize that? >> of great concern, obviously. >> i testify before the financial services committee before the house just last thursday before this issue is out, i raised issues then about procedure.
3:02 pm
here we are, billions of dollars, at least based on the current trade, i know it's up a little bit today. billions of dollars have been at least on paper, lost is. many of those investors are smarting from that experience right now. how do get people to invest in the market? you have to have facts and that's what regulators are for. that's why we need to establish the facts, not on press statements, but on facts. >> right. we appreciate you there for us in massachusetts. this massachusetts subpoena, this is just one sliver of the problems for facebook and its partners here in this stock offering. julianne, there are so many moving parts. let's just talk about the lawsuit that's being filed.
3:03 pm
>> they're suing facebook, the underwriters and mark zuckerberg. they're saying they didn't disclose information to regular mom and pop investor, which is a big problem as far as regulatory bodies are concerned, if the allegations are true. >> what about the technical glitches that they experienced with the nasdaq on friday. where does that stand? have we worked through those glitches? >> the problems of facebook's ipo began right at the start of trading. we were expecting facebook to begin trading at about 11:00 on friday. that was delayed by a half-hour. and even when it began trading, there were people saying i don't know if my order has gone through. i don't know what happened to my order. i don't know if i got a share. five days later, they're still working through those problems. there's a technical glitch that
3:04 pm
caused the delay in the initial trading. there are still a lot of traders confused about what happened with their trades. some people got the shares for more than they expected to be paying for them. some just disappeared into the ether. so nasdaq is still working that out. >> with all of these issues, i just do have to lift the veil and ask this question when it comes to the media. if you pick up the paper on friday, is the media at all to blame? >> there are a lot of people at the meeting. it's important to note for a lot of people, investing in a single company, you have to know a lot about that company. there are a lot of risks involved in getting into an ipo and banks try to make sure, you're seeing it, there has not
3:05 pm
been an ipo as hyped as facebook for a long time. people say oh, you know, everything is going to be great. it's facebook. but now the reality we're seeing is very different than what the hype was. >> julianne pepitone, thank you. we'll see if mark zuckerberg comes out and says anything. thank you. got a lot for you in the next two hours including this. a pastor in north carolina says he wants gays to be held behind an electrified fence until they die. those comments sparking outrage. though there are members of his congregation who agree. i'm brooke baldwin. the news is now. >> they need to be head accountable. >> a tough talking army woman, she says, for doing her job. now she's facing the biggest battle of her career. >> really? is that what you want to hear on
3:06 pm
the other end of a 911 call? it happened and we'll play it for you. i've been a superintendent for 30 some years at many different park service units ross the united states. the only time i've ever had a break is when i was on maternity leave. i have retired from doing this one thing that i loved. now, i'm going to be able to have the time to explore something different. it's like another chapter.
3:07 pm
3:08 pm
i tell you what i can spend. i do my best to make it work. i'm back on the road safely. and i saved you money on brakes. that's personal pricing.
3:09 pm
in the age of the internet and youtube, even a small town pastor can get his message out there. his sermon does not have a message of love. you can hear it for yourself. >> build a great big large fence, 150 or 100 mile long, put all the lesbians in there. fly over and drop some food. do the same thing with the queers and the homosexuals. and have that fence electrified so they can't get out. feed them. and you know what, in a few years they'll die. >> yeah. gary tuchman, our correspondent
3:10 pm
right now is trying to track down this pastor and ask him about his comments face to face. you see him knocking on the door. so far, no luck. this preacher doesn't want to talk. but gary has reached some of the parishioners here, the neighbors in this community. i want you to listen as they are sharing their thoughts. >> he would give you the shirt off his back. he would do anything you could for you. >> he said in church he wants to put gay people behind electric fences and have them all die out. what do you think about that? >> well, that's not really what he said. he said yes, he said some of that, but he was going to -- he was going to feed them. >> so you say it's okay if you feed them? >> well, i'm not saying that's his opinion. >> probably the most compassionate man i've ever known. >> i don't know, he's just got a big heart for people. takes a real firm stand on the
3:11 pm
bible and what it says about different things, whether i like it or not, or whether anybody else likes it or not. he stands for the bible. >> being gay and lesbian or whatever, homosexual is wrong according to the bible. it's wrong. >> even if you believe that, though, his words that they should put in an electrified fence, don't you think that's a little dramatic and rude and -- >> his point and reasoning was to see if they reproduce. like it is -- >> there's a lot of heterosexual couples that don't reproduce either. >> adam and eve, that's at the beginning. adam and eve. not adam and steve. >> but why put adam and steve in an electrified jail. isn't that just mean? that's not the bible -- that's not what god wants for man to be mean to their fellow man. >> he's not saying that to be mean. like i said sd-- >> if that's not mean what is
3:12 pm
it. >> we love the people, hate the sin, okay? point blank, you need to lay off my pastor. >> wow. gary tuchman, you saw him knocking on the door. he'll have much more on this story tonight during "ac:360." we'll see if he gets him. a femaler sergeant was fired fm her job because they said she was too tough. but she says the reason she was suspended is because she's a woman. ale announcer ] aggressive styling. a more fuel-efficient turbocharged engine. and a completely redesigned interior. ♪ the 2012 c-class with over 2,000 refinements. it's amazing...inside and out. see your authorized mercedes-benz dealer for exceptional offers through mercedes-benz financial services. through mercedes-benz where they grow america's favorite wpotatoes. idaho, everyone knows idaho potatoes taste great.
3:13 pm
but did you know they're good for you too? they're high in vitamins and potassium. and idaho potatoes are now certified to carry the heart checkmark from the american heart association for foods low in saturated fat and cholesterol. so they're good for my family, and for yours. heart smart idaho potatoes. always look for the grown in idaho seal. but proven technologies allow natural gas producers to supply affordable, cleaner energy, while protecting our environment. across america, these technologies protect air - by monitoring air quality and reducing emissions... ...protect water - through conservation and self-contained recycling systems... ... and protect land - by reducing our footprint and respecting wildlife. america's natural gas... domestic, abundant, clean energy to power our lives... that's smarter power today.
3:14 pm
3:15 pm
>> if it's interesting and happening right now, you're about to see it. rapid fire, let's go. the boeing company got a huge boost today. the first 787 took off on its maiden flight. 6,000 boeing employees were on hand to see this thing head up into the skies. while boeing wouldn't exactly say where this jet was going, our flight tracker shows it flew out above the atlantic then headed back out to south carolina. there she goes. a pakistani doctor accused of helping track down osama bin laden has been sentenced to prison. he got a 33-year sentence and was also fined $3,500. he was accused of spying for the u.s. the ruling by a tribal court can
3:16 pm
be appealed. the defense secretary leon panetta has called for him to be released. and no uh a picture no parent wants to see. a school bus completely overturned here. 36 students and the bus driver were onboard the bus. 32 students went to the hospital. had minor injuries. the driver here was charged with reckless driving. the state patrol said she was looking in the rear -view mirro when she ran this bus right off the road. >> and friends and family are gathering to recognize the queen of disco, donna summer. she died after lung cancer at age 63. this is what's happening in nashville at a tennessee church. uh yo know the story, she rose to fame in the '70s, "love to love you baby." "i have love." another one of her disco-era it hs. one of 25 sounds selected today to be preserved for future
3:17 pm
generations in the national recording registry of the library of congress. wow. it is fleet week in new york city. plenty of navy ships up and down the hudson river there along with 17 majestic tall ships. rigged with traditional sales. the week-long event started with parade of ships all around the world. this year marks the bicentennial of the war of 1812. and next to seattle here for this moment and the birds. the sea-tac airport for a little wild life management here. it only takes one bird strike to remind us that airport and birds really don't mix. this week there was an effort. three young hawks out of sea-tac's danger zone. the birds hatched just five weeks ago. within two weeks, awww. actually kind of ugly cute. i guess they're trying their wings with huge jetliners flying
3:18 pm
overhead, you understand the possible problems. the babies are now living on a farm under more friendly skies. the first woman commandant of an elite school was suspended and she says because it's because she a woman. >> reporter: we met her three years ago at fort jackson, columbia, south carolina. what are you looking for? it looks like everyone is exercising. >> i'm looking attention to detail pop moo the first woman to lead the elite school. that was then. >> when i'm going through this devastating situation, it's important for me to set an example. that's where i'm at. >> reporter: now king faces the toughest battle of her 32-year military career. she filed a formal complaint against the army, charging her superiors mistreated her because she's a woman. >> i'm not in a position where i
3:19 pm
can say what should happen to my superior, but i will say they need to be held accountable. >> she was suspended following complaintses of micromanaging and toxic leadership, factors that would not be questioned if she were a man. some questioning her lack of combat experience, but as a. who, king can't go to the frontlines. king, who earned top scores for physical fitness said she was punished for rejecting unfit candidates. >> i think drill sergeants should be some soft highest standard bearers in the army. that's the only way he can make soldiers. >> reporter: king submitted a 19-page rebuttal, calling her accusers disgruntle pd .two of her superiors oversaw a six-month investigation. during that period, king was not allowed to have any contact with students or staff. cut off, she says, from her
3:20 pm
military family. >> i think i lost touch of consciousness because stfs so painful. >> reporter: king sought help from attorney and state legislatuo legislator, james smith, also one of her soldiers. smith said he believed in her then and now. >> her suspension is and was unwarranted. now the point is, and what we're asking is for a review of how and why all of this took place. reerl ea >> reporter: earlier this month, at army said her suspension was lifted. king says not good enough. king's reenstatement came just in time for the change of responsibility ceremony. a final act, a transfer of power. >> there were some days i didn't feel like i wanted to live. but i believe in hope against all hope. >> supporters surrounded king
3:21 pm
who said despite everything, she served the army again. >> i want to make sure that this does not happen to another person. >> jason carol, cnn, columbia, south carolina. the obama campaign targeting specific groups of americans. he's focusing on women, gays, lesbians, college students, businesses. is this a winning strategy? we're going to talk to our chief white house correspondent. and we now know where the woman is who forced that us airways jet out of the sky that was heading from paris to charlotte. and ended up diverted in maine. so, ah, your seat good? got the mirrors all adjusted? you can see everything ok?
3:22 pm
just stay off the freeways, all right? i don't want you going out on those yet. mmm-hmm. and just leave your phone in your purse. i don't want you texting, all right? daddy...ok! ok, here you go. be careful. thanks dad. call me -- but not while you're driving. ♪ [ dad ] we knew this day was coming. that's why we bought a subaru. ♪
3:23 pm
3:24 pm
of all our different items in our festival of shrimp. the crab-stuffed shrimp are awesome! tequila lime tacos. [ man ] delicious! [ male announcer ] it's festival of shrimp! for $12.99 try any two shrimp creations like new barbeque glazed shrimp. offer ends soon. we're servers at red lobster. and we sea food differently. hispanics, women, and today lgbt americans. obama seeking re-election by targeting certain groups in america.
3:25 pm
also, a woman is facing federal charges after causing a plane to divert yesterday. time to play "reporter roulette." want to begin with chief white house correspondent jessica yellin. as we're talking about here, the obama camp announcing this new outreach effort to target the lesbi lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered community. is this at all because of his news on -- his stance on marriage equality? >> hi, brooke. the same-sex marriage announcement was a wash political politically. about half the country supports him for his decision. about half the country isless likely to support him for the decision a new poll shows. an't 55% say it's not going to be a major factor in their vote. but the campaign is mobilizing the lgbt community, republicans as well as democrats. the important take akwai is this -- it's an indicator of the
3:26 pm
campaign's overall strategy. they're targeting dem graph ir groups. here's the lesbian and gay community. we've already seen many campaigns targeting latinos, seniors, unique messages tailored to their concerned. contrast that with 2008 when the president said there's not a red america or a blue america. there's one america. this time there's a campaign with many messages, targeted to many different americas. brooke? >> okay, many americas. and also in term of news, there's been a lot of attention focused on the obama 2012 campaign. the attacks on romney's former firm bain capital. what's h ibd the strategy. and also, you know, there's been criticism that perhaps those ads were certainly a distraction from, say, the state of the economy. >> the obama campaign does not buy that criticism and is going to stick with the strategy. and that's because bane is one piece of the puzzle. it's not their entire cam pane
3:27 pm
against mitt romney and his message on the economy. so the pain attacks appealed to sort of industrial state workers who feel the deck is, as they say, the deck is stacked against them. but there are many other ways that they'll go at romney, including his record on the economy in massachusetts. his record on lesbian and gay issues, on immigration, his proposal to redesign medicare, each again, hitting specific demographic groups. each, again, hitting these different slices of america, if you will. >> jessica yellin, thank you in washington. also today, new details here on that bizarre incident that broke yesterday afternoon on this us airways flight. this woman slips a note to a crew member and basically it read, i have a surgically implanted device in me. obviously concerning the crew. they diverted to bangor, maine. so there are no charges being filed, is that correct? but she's in jail. >> she's now being held in the custody of u.s. customs and
3:28 pm
immigration. and we should point out, brooke, essentially, they had a hearing and the government decided no charges should be filed against this woman. she's a french citizen from cameroon originally. and basically what the government is saying is that evidence developed since that time that caused the u.s. to determine that no criminals should be filed. we reached out to the french embassy since she is a french citizen. it's likely that she would be routed back to france. >> so then what is this about? this woman talking to in french radio station days before she hopped on this flight? what was that about? what were they talking about? >> this is a particularly bizarre dwis in all all of this unfolded. reports from a radio station in france, africa radio one that parent will i did an interview with this woman. they claim it s this woman on monday. the day before she got on this plane in which she claim shed had several surgically implanted devices that had been implanted into her, that she didn't trust the french health service and
3:29 pm
she was going to the yao its to try to get scans and get them out of her. they thought this was a strange interview taen they didn't connect the dots until this incident unfolded yesterday. >> totally bizarre, to use your word. thank you so much. next, wanting to defend himself against charges that he insisted in the death of florida a&m drum major, said robert champion wanted, quote, respect and he asked to be hazed. george, why -- did -- how are they saying this? why would he want to be hazed? what is s this person saying? >> well, brooke, we are hearing this from jonathan boys. he's a fellow drum major. he's also charged in this case. and as you mentioned, this is what he told investigators, that this was a respect thing. robert going through hazing. and he also says that robert wanted to do it all season. we also heard from several witnesses -- rather read this information from several witnesses who said that hazing was optional.
3:30 pm
all of this flies in the face of what robert champion's mother and father said that robert was against hazing. here's what they had to say just a few hours ago at a news conference in atlanta. >> he was murdered on that bus. and no one signs up for that. no one. so for someone to say well, this is what he wanted to do and this is hazing, of course, i still and i will continue to say the word hazing is not what was actually done. it was brutal manslaughter, beating, whatever the terms there is. b but it certainly wasn't hazing. >> pam champion says all of this information that's coming out a shocking. and she also wants to see an independent panel decide whether the band will march again. she says she does not want to
3:31 pm
see the university president make that decision. >> respect, huh? i know there are new documents in this case. they're out. have you had time to go through them? what's in them? >> a lot of information. i want to show it to you here. more than 2,000 pieces of paper. a lot of information. these are the witness accounts. also people who are charged in this case. this is what they told investigators and give us a better understanding of what prosecutors say happened on that bus. the first is being on the hot seat. these witnesses describe that as a process where the victim is in a seat on a bus and other band members put a blanket or towel over that are person's head while they beat them. a person moves from the front of the bus to the back of the bus while being attacked throughout. >> so now you've probably heard, the tennessee man who claims he had 30 kids, couldn't afford
3:32 pm
child support on his minimum wage job. we're learning a little bit more about him, including that he's a bit of a fibber. sunny hostin is back on this case. quick note for you. if you are heading out the door, keep watching. watch from your mobile phone. watch from work. watch from your desk top. ♪ ♪
3:33 pm
♪ ♪ ♪
3:34 pm
3:35 pm
>> got a a follow up on a story we talked about a couple of days ago. this 33-year-old who supposedly has these 30 children and wants a break from the state on his child support. turning out there is is more, or should we say less of the story. so the guy doesn't actually have 30 kids, he has -- >> 24. i suppose that's a better number
3:36 pm
than 30. we were talking about this case just the other day. my twitter blew up as well. people were really outraged by the fact that he had allegedly 30 children and he hadn't been paying child support. well, get this. he only has 24 children and on top of that, he hasn't been paying child support, but that's because he's been incarcerated since 2009. i don't know what charges he was convicted of or why he is being held, but he has been incarcerated since 2009. he won't be released until november 2014. we have found all of this out from the magistrate judge who is handling these custody cases. his name is magistrate stan briggs. he said he had to incarcerate mr. hatchet for nonpayment of custody in the past. but that's not what's going on right now. he's not making any money while
3:37 pm
in jail. >> yoive any experience in this. let me just ask you, if you are behind bars and you owe child support, does that mean you don't have to pay because you're in prison? >> we learned he's not paying because he is in prison, but the judge made it very clear that when he is out in november of 2014, he will be asked to pay that child support. the child support order will be enforced. and again, the judge has had to incarcerate him for nonpayment in the past. so perhaps these women and their children will be getting some sort of money in 2014 .but they're not going to get it anytime soon. >> that's still two years away. thinking about all those moms, 11 of them. story number two, you read about items or products online and you can post reviews. perhaps you posted a review or two. there's a plastic surgeon in orlando who is suing 10 patients who got online, posted anonymous reviews, negative reviews online. this is according to our
3:38 pm
affiliate out of the atlanta. one of these women wrote that her nine-inch scars are horrific, frighten and unnecessary. she had a breast augmentation surgery. so let's just begin with the doctor. what does the doctor specifically want here? >> you know, he's suing, we don't know what the damages are or how much money he wants because that's not, you know, explained in the suit. he says, though, he's not suing for money that, in of the, he's suing because he wants to get a better idea of what his patients really think. i suspect that there's more to it than that, but let me say this. a lot of people are talking about this case and they feel the doctor has no right to sue, you know, these reviewers. the bottom line is, we've talked about this before, brooke, when you anonymously say something online, it's never really anonymous. your address can be found out. your identity can be found out and you can't defame someone. you are entitled to your opinion, but if they are lying
3:39 pm
about perhaps their scar, then the doctor could possibly have some recourse here. >> but if they're not lying, if these are legitimate complaints and concerns and you're not really anonymous, then their side has a little merit. >> that's right. and this suit would have absolutely no merit. because, of course, a complete defense to defamation is the truth. if those scars are really nine inches and if she feels they are terrific and terrible, then then she is exempt from being sued from this doctor. so more to find out about this particular case. >> moral of the story, if you're frustrated about some doctor or product you tried and you don't speak so kindly of it, they can find you? >> they can find you. but you're usually okay if it's your opinion and it's truthful. >> supny hostin, thank you. father oof three rescues an unconscious woman from a new
3:40 pm
york city subway tracks while his children watch. you have to hear from him.
3:41 pm
home protector plus, from liberty mutual insurance, where the costs to both repair your home and replace your possessions are covered. and we don't just cut a check for the depreciated value -- we can actually replace your stuff with an exact or near match. plus, if your home is unfit to live in after an incident,
3:42 pm
we pay for you to stay somewhere else while it's being repaired. home protector plus, from liberty mutual insurance. because you never know what lies around the corner. to get a free quote, call... visit a local office, or go to libertymutual.com today. liberty mutual insurance. responsibility. what's your policy? parents tell their children to do the right thing. one patient risked his life after making a split decision. we have this tremendous story. >> reporter: for this family, riding the subways comes with a warning.
3:43 pm
greg wetzle says he tells his three children to stay far from the edge. but on saturday, he abandoned his own advice. >> i see a woman lying on the tracks there. i have the three little ones, and i had to make a decision at that point. >> reporter: to make that decision, greg looked to see when the next train was due to barrel through. >> when you looked up at the clock, it said two two minutes? >> it said two minutes. >> greg jumped in to move her away from the deadly third rail and towards the platform. >> dead weight of a human being is heavy. >> did she respond at all? >> no, not at all. he raced to come up with a plan b. to get her into the gap between the tracks. >> if i could get her in that
3:44 pm
area, the train would roll over her. >> he was able to get her close enough to the platform for bystanders to help her out. as for the wetzles, they're hoping the warnings to stay away from the edge stay with him. >> did you think it was that dangerous before? >> a no, but now i know it is. >> reporter: mary snow, cnn new york. >> well, from some heroics so lack thereof, this is the last thing you want to hear. the last thing, in fact, it's so bad you don't ever want to hear this. not when you have an energy and want to hear someone answer the to ento help you out. that is next.
3:45 pm
3:46 pm
3:47 pm
>> instead of being on alert, a 911 dispatcher was caught nodding off. as in asleep. as in snoring. as a desperate woman calls in to try to save her husband. i want you to listen here as the worker who first actually answers the call transfers the woman to this snoring dispatcher for help. >> hello? hello? hello?
3:48 pm
>> hey, ma'am, are you there? hello? >> hello, yes? >> hold on one second. i'm going to try to get them on the line again. >> okay. [ snoring ] >> you can kind of hear it, right? it happened in april in maryland but the audio of the call came out. the dispatcher is now on paid leave. you can hear the dispatcher snoring 17 to 18 times. at one point, a second dispatcher who is helping this woman thinks the snores are coming from the unconscious husband. >> i don't know what to do. >> all right. is that him i hear in the background? >> excuse me? >> is that him i hear in the back ground. >> yes, uh-huh. >> how old is he? >> 43. [ snoring ] >> oh, he -- i don't know, he's blue again. >> can you tilt his head back? >> yes, but he is like he
3:49 pm
went -- oh, he's -- oh. i don't know what to do. >> is he still making the snoring noises? >> yeah, that's not her husband making the noises. the fire official said the husband did not have any adverse effects because of the delay caused by the snoring. the snoring dispatcher was 17 hours into his 24-hour shift when that happened. it is graduation time for the town of griswald connecticut hd a ceremony unlike any other honoring just one graduate with his diploma more than 50 years overdue. this went to joseph philip who left the 12th grade to fight in the korean war. look at that crowd on their feet. a new law allowed to give the degree to the father of five. >> he certainly deserves it. yes. he's worked very hard. he's been a great father.
3:50 pm
>> this is just a nice thing to do, for i believe, an 83-year-old man, who said that was one regret he had in life. >> a lot of memories were brought back. it makes it tough. >> and our congratulations to him. 600 students gave a standing ovation to ali who thought he was going to a regular pep rally. not so much, sir. you got your diploma. "the situation room" with mr. wolf blitzer. i know you spoke with secretary of state colin powell. you talk marriage equality and afghanistan and the threat of al qaeda in this post-osama bin laden world. >> al qaeda seems to be pretty robust there in yemen and apparently according to some reports even in syria right now.
3:51 pm
we spoke about that. let me play this little clip for our viewers, this exchange i had with general powell on al qaeda. >> all these years after 9/11, are you surprised that al qaeda, even after the death of bin laden is still out there? >> you know, this is an organization that franchised itself out a number of years ago. it isn't just osama bin laden leading a single organization. these are people who have a belief in terrorism and who have some connection to osama bin laden, but it's really a franchised operation and you can expect from the pop-up wherever they find fertile ground whether it's in yemen or syria or in other places of the world. so i think it says to us, be on the alert, don't think it's over and they'll come after you again if you let them. keep up the military work, the law enforcement work and keep working with our friends and allies to make sure they're doing everything they can in order to make sure that this
3:52 pm
threat does not grow. >> we also, brooke, had an extensive exchange what he regards as the worst intelligence blunder when he testified before the united nations security council that iran did not, in fact, have weapons of mass destruction. we know that intelligence was obviously wrong and it stays with him every single day. you'll want to hear what he has to say about that. he wrote about it in his brand new book which he's out promoting right now, as well. it's a good, solid interview. >> i was looking at your twitter page and you were talking about the new polls including women. we talked about women voters and how they perceive the president and mitt romney. can you give me a preview? >> yes. do you remember a couple of weeks ago or a week ago that there was a poll that the gender gap had narrowed dramatically and a lot of people including our own polling experts who is our pollster seems to have been
3:53 pm
a flaw in "the new york times" cbs poll and they went back and requestioned people and they couldn't find all of them. that was a mistake at least according to a lot of polling experts. now there's a brand new poll out by "the wall street journal" and they show the gender gap -- it's gone back to where it was in the earlier polls and almost all of the other polls where the president has a solid, solid lead over mitt romney when it comes to american women voters out there. so we'll discuss that hillary rosen is here and we'll have that at the top of the hour. >> we'll see you at the top of the hour. >> thank you. >> what the taliban thinks education is evident in the recent attack. more than 120 girls are poisoned in afghanistan. they're sending a clear message to girls who would like to be
3:54 pm
smart and seek knowledge. nick walsh takes us bedside to where the girls are currently recovering.
3:55 pm
3:56 pm
>> a pakistani doctor is accused of helping the u.s. track down osama bin laden. he's now been sentenced to prison. he's shaquille alfridi and fined $3500. his, h he has called for fridi
3:57 pm
to be released. in afghanistan you expect horrible stories coming out of this, it is a war zone. for the second time now in two months school girls, school girls and their teachers have been poisoned. the suspects here are insurgents who oppose girls getting an education. watch. >> reporter: to afghanistan's most extreme conservatives like the taliban, girls going to school is so offensive they'll do anything to stop it, including poison school girls. this morning, students went into class at the girls school in northern tahar province and noticed a powerful smell and they began to fall ill. in panic, 125 girls were rushed to the hospital. there, headaches and dizziness set in, forcing the girls requiring longer treatment. >> translator: a number of girls age 15 to 18 were brought from
3:58 pm
school to the hospital today. generally, they are not in critical condition. we are looking after them, but let's see what happens later. we understand so far from the situation that they are mostly traumatized. >> reporter: amid the distress here, a growing fear that even in the once-peaceful north, hardliners can strike at will. police have sent blood samples from the poisoned girls to work out what the poison is, but they already know who to blame. >> translator: actually, the afghan people know that the terrorists and the taliban are doing these things to threaten girls and stop them from going to school. that's something we and the people believe. now we are implementing democracy in afghanistan. we want girls to be educated, but the government's enemies don't want this. >> reporter: this has happened elsewhere before and this province only a few months ago fear a powerful weapon and not powerful enough yet to stop the girls from wanting to learn.
3:59 pm
nick walsh, cnn, kabul. before we go, i want to show you this picture. the boeing company got a huge boost. here it goes, taking off on its maiden flight. 6,000 boeing employees were on hand to watch this inaugural flight and boeing actually wouldn't say where this particular jet was going, but our flight tracker shows it few over the atlantic and headed back to south carolina. that's it for me. i'm brooke baldwin here at cnn headquarters in atlanta. now to my friend wolf blitzer. "the situation room" starts right now. >> thanks very much. mitt romney defends his record as a business leader and said he'd get the jobless rate down to 6% in his first term as president. also general colin powell held the line against gays serving openly in the military. he now says he has no problem, obviously not with that, but also with gay marriage. my in-depth interviewom

123 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on