Skip to main content

tv   Piers Morgan Tonight  CNN  September 8, 2012 12:00am-1:00am EDT

12:00 am
fake. maybe he really was guiding the cranes. it's like he's at world leader summer camp. even though it's good to blow off a little steam, there are quite a few serious issues he needs to deal with. he should be, you know, putting the toys away so he can fix some things. >> and they're off tonight. the race for the white house is officially under way. i've got candid conversations with top democrats and the up and comers including the castro brothers. this guy could be president. now either of you could end up winning that race. >> he becomes president, i need secret service protection. >> plus, a pop star would talks politics. rob thomas from match box twenty. >> the on thing i hate more than hard-core conservatives are hard-core liberals. >> their take on the economy and the secrets of the rich and famous. >> most millionaires are actually pretty cheap. we're not going to go to rolex and buy a watch brand-new when
12:01 am
they can come to us and get it for half price. >> also, you ought to know the charming and surprising alanis morrisset. >> i pray all the time. i'm praying right now. >> for what, the interview to end? >> this is "piers morgan tonight." welcome to the cnn grill here in charlotte. as the democrats pack up around me, the campaign for the white house begins in earnest. what matters is what happens now. hoping for a bounce that eluded the republicans. front and center was of course president obama with a speech that may make or break his bid for a second term. >> know this, america, our problems can be solved. our challenges can be met. the path we offer may be harder but it leads to a better place and i'm asking you to choose that future. i'm asking you to rally around a
12:02 am
set of goals for your country. goals in manufacturing. energy. education. national security. and the deficit. real achievable plans that will lead to new jobs, more opportunity and rebuild this economy on a stronger foundation. that's what we can do in the next four years and that's why i'm running for a second term as president of the united states. >> mr. obama said he deserves four more years. that message was drilled home by president clinton who electrified the base with his memorable words. >> president obama started with a much weaker economy than i did. listen to me now. no president, not me, not any ofpredecessors, no one could have fully repaired all the damage he found in just four
12:03 am
years. no -- but he has he has laid the foundations for a new modern successful economy. of shared prosperity. if you will renew the president's contract, you will feel it. you will feel it. >> mitt romney and paul ryan are making their case. they're pressing the point hard. attacking mr. obama and his policies. >> we had an economic crisis in 2008. the problem i'm saying is president obama's so-called solutions didn't fix the
12:04 am
problem, they've made it worse. so president for the last two years has not been offering solutions, he's been attacking the other party. for the first two years of his presidency, his entire party controlled all of government. he got to pass nearly every single item on his agenda. we are suffering as a result of that. >> here with more, my colleague wolf blitzer. >> you are absolutely right. those new job report numbers are in a word disappointing. released today, they show the economy added only 96,000 jobs in august. expectations were much higher for the white house. at the same time, the unemployment rate fell to 1.1% in august. that should be good news. economists say the unemployment drop means hundreds of thousands of people have stopped looking for work.
12:05 am
all this coming just a day after the president's speech at the democratic national convention. and they are putting more pressure on president obama to try to jump start the economy which certainly is front and center in this race for the white house. both sides were quick to sound off on the news. let's listen to what they said. >> today, we learned that after losing around 800,000 jobs a month when i took office, business added jobs for the 30th month in a row. a total of 4.6 million jobs. but that's not good enough. we know it's not good enough. we need to create more jobs faster. we need to fill the hole left by this recession faster. we need to come out of this crisis stronger than when we went in. there's a lot more we can do. >> after the party last night, the hangover today, the jobs numbers were very disappointing.
12:06 am
for almost every new job created, approximately four people dropped out of the workforce. real incomes, real wages are also not rising. this is a tough time for the middle class in america. there's almost nothing that the president has done in the last four years that gives people confidence. >> a disappointing jobs report. we're going to see what the impact on the presidential race will be in the coming days. piers, back to you with more highlights from the convention. >> i also sat down with some of the new generation of democrats. beginning with the charismatic castro twins. and his brother joaquin who's running in texas. how do you reinforce the kind of story you guys can tell america?
12:07 am
>> well, it means that there's this, as joaquin has said, he's campaigning for congress these days. this sort of infrastructure of opportunity. those things that it takes to experience opportunity in america. and america has been the land of opportunity. and so it's one example of that. the importance of tonight, of this election, is which one of these candidates is going to ensure that america remains unquestionably the land of opportunity in the coming years. tonight i'm convinced that's why that's president barack obama. >> a lot of zingers. you've got to ask your parents for the money. gee, i wish i thought of that. the difference between mitt romney's relationship with the electorate and you guys.
12:08 am
you're a good illustration of that. how much do you think that is going to come into play as a key factor with the election? will they say, a wealthy guy, out of touch with us? i prefer to go with the devil i know who has only done half the job really? what do you think? >> i think when folks compare where the nation was, using 750,000 jobs a month and then you compare where we are now, private sector job growth, that i'm confident he's going to lay out the case very convincingly. we have made significant progress. that means something very real for people's lives. more students that are able to go to college.
12:09 am
more folks now that are able to get back to work. i don't think anybody will be able to say we're where we want to be. we're better positioned as a nation. >> a lot of fuss tonight about your speech as i say. electrified everybody. prompting some to say we haven't heard a speech like that since barack obama in 2004. this guy could be president. either of you could end up winning that race. >> he beens president, i need secret service protection. >> if barack obama thought he had a problem with a name like barack obama becoming president, a president castro is quite a moment. >> i do grant you florida would be pretty hard. >> listen, congratulations. it's really a groundbreaking speech. people very excited. may the best man win if it does come off to a raceoff. castro brothers may just be the future face of the democratic
12:10 am
party. coming up, a rock star who's fiercely political. surprising rob thomas of matchbox twenty. ♪ i know right now you can't tell ♪ ♪ but stay awhile and then maybe you'll see a different side of me ♪ ♪ i'm not crazy ♪ i'm just a little impaired it just wouldn't go away. i was spotting, but i had already gone through menopause. these symptoms may be nothing... but they could be early warning signs of a gynecologic cancer, such as cervical, ovarian, or uterine cancer. feeling bloated for no reason. that's what i remember. seeing my doctor probably saved my life. warning signs are not the same for everyone. if you think something's wrong... see your doctor. ask about gynecologic cancer. and get the inside knowledge. i've been fortunate to win on golf's biggest stages. but when joint pain and stiffness from psoriatic arthritis hit, even the smallest things became difficult.
12:11 am
i finally understood what serious joint pain is like. i talked to my rheumatologist and he prescribed enbrel. enbrel can help relieve pain, stiffness, and stop joint damage. because enbrel, etanercept, suppresses your immune system, it may lower your ability to fight infections. serious, sometimes fatal events including infections, tuberculosis, lymphoma, other cancers, and nervous system and blood disorders have occurred. before starting enbrel, your doctor should test you for tuberculosis and discuss whether you've been to a region where certain fungal infections are common. don't start enbrel if you have an infection like the flu. tell your doctor if you're prone to infections, have cuts or sores, have had hepatitis b, have been treated for heart failure, or if, while on enbrel, you experience persistent fever, bruising, bleeding, or paleness. [ phil ] get back to the things that matter most. ask your rheumatologist if enbrel is right for you. [ doctor ] enbrel, the number one biolog medicine prescribed by rheumatologists.
12:12 am
12:13 am
>> match box twenty's grammy-nominated single. rock star rob thomas is also fired up about politics. how fired up are you? >> i am incensed. incensed by it all. too much. >> what do you make of the election battle? we're now only a few weeks away from decision time. what do you think of the way they've been going at each other and the issues that are likely to be the determining issues? >> i think the most exciting -- may be exciting for me because i'm over here on the left. what's kind of exciting is we had the eight years with george bush.
12:14 am
and part of that was -- happened because they had a clear message. they had a clear directive that they all kind of jumped on. ever since -- the difference between figuring out what the republican party is, what the tea partiers are standing for. >> i find it baffling. the idea that the leader of a party would be saying one thing about issues like abortion or whatever it may be, and the platform that the party put forward for its convention was completely different. >> it's supposed to be less government in your life. >> how can that be right? i mean, if you're voting for this guy, are you voting for romney personally? are you voting for the party? >> i don't think as a party they have a clear directive anymore. i think it used to be easily wrapped up. i think -- we've never seen this -- i hear like my grandfather and my great grandfather would talk about the days you couldn't speak to a republican if you
12:15 am
were a democrat. during my time growing up, it was never that way. these people are really hard on this line. >> i appreciate that people have opinions and views and religious beliefs. i completely respect them. i was born catholic. what i don't like about all of this, whether it's about religion or politics, is the debate is now so vicious that the rhetoric is so vicious. >> it's not -- i have many friends who are conservative republicans. they don't speak like that. they don't have that kind of thing spewing out of their mouth. i just don't think the people that are actually out there representing the right are the biggest nutjobs i've ever seen. you've got these ted nugents. people talking about what's legitimate rape. you've got just -- not all republicans are crazy. but all those hateful crazy people happen to be republicans. so i think it's not good for them to have those people, the worst of the barrel, the low hanging fruit, kind of representing.
12:16 am
>> my experience, you get crazy democrats who say stupid thing. what you get with people like ted nugent, had him on the show a couple of times, is this kind of blind fury driving his whole rhetoric and debate which can only whip people up. there are lots people out there who aren't the brightest of pennies. >> that's why it's dangerous. he's an intelligent person. when he says it, like everybody in the world should be able to have a gun, he's assuming everybody out there is as intelligent as him and can make decisions rationally. because he's a lot less crazy in his head than he likes to put out there. there do need to be some limitations on what people can have access to these things that are every day causing rampant death all over the place. and somehow trying to go. it has nothing to do with the guns. it has nothing to do with automatic weapons. it just does. >> you've been a very successful musician in america. >> very successful. >> very, very successful. what does being an american mean to you? do you think that the dream that you grew up with has changed?
12:17 am
>> well, yeah, probably. i think as you get older in general, you have kids and your life -- your life goals change. you actually see yourself first, oh, i'm going to live past 21, you know, and then once you realize that, you start to figure out what your life as an adult is going to mean. for me, at the end of the day, the whole truth about being an american and the greatest part about it -- and not to say -- there's a lot of kind of like this nationalistic rhetoric that goes around that we're the only free country. you realize that's not true. but i do like the idea if i want to write a song about my government being in cahoots with -- i'm not going to go to jail for it. those things are great. the idea that we can sit here and we can have these kind of debates about the people -- >> the whole thing about pussy riots in russia was ridiculous, wasn't it? >> of course it is. but it can't happen. it does happen and it can't happen. that is kind of the most shocking thing. we're so far removed from the idea of it being a reality in
12:18 am
our world that you see it and it just seems like something that would happen in a film or something in 1920 but the fact it's happening in modern day, that's crazy. >> also highlights how different russia remains to someone like america. america remains a very free country. it's just at the moment has i think a kind of identity crisis. i hear a lot of people saying now we've got to go back to basics in america. go back to building things. go back to doing the things that made america great in the first place. there's a lot of merit to that i think. >> yeah, we -- this obama campaign started off with a lot of talk about, you know, rebuilding the infrastructure and about making that a priority. >> hasn't really happened. >> hasn't happened at all. i think a lot of people are still going to vote for obama. just because he's the better of the two choices. not because they're going into it with the same, you know, feeling of hope and change. >> i think it's a messiahic aspect. the idea that this is some kind of religious movement driving
12:19 am
this extraordinary character. who will cure of world and america of all known problems. that's over. it's now a reality check. the reality check is whether he or mitt romney. i think the decision will be who's got the better economic view for the country. >> it's going to be. as long as people stay on point and don't kind of be distracted by the flashing lights that everybody's going to throw around them. we inherently have a problem just in the system itself because when you have -- it beens this weird game. you're the right or the left. you have to assign yourself. if you don't, then, you know, you don't belong because you belong to, like, some independent party that's never going to get their voice heard. it becomes about winning that game. becomes about winning that game more than it becomes about this year the guy on the right has more. the only thing i hate more than hard-core conservatives are hard-core liberals. i hate anybody that walks into a conversation and they already know the answer what they want before they even kind of listen
12:20 am
to the facts and maybe be able to have your mind swayed. one of the things i do appreciate about romney is he's a smart guy. it's nice to see intelligent people. >> i like him very much personally. there's nothing wrong with mitt romney at all. but he's a politician and he has views and you've got to elect him on the power of the merit of his opinions. let's turn to music. match box twenty. very cool cover. >> thank you very much. >> tell me about this. >> well, north, you know, we took a hiatus. i did a couple solo records. we did a greatest hits record. this is our first studio record in over ten years. >> you guys are, like, huge. then the traditional singer goes off and, you know, wants to be the new michael jackson, right? >> yes, i had to find a vehicle big enough for my ego. something that my head could ride around in. >> you missed each other. you've now produced this album. what was it like the second time around to get back with the group and do your thing again? >> we were because i think in the middle of the solo records we did the greatest hits. we always tour.
12:21 am
we were out on the road together for a year and a half. while i was -- even while i was touring my solo record the guys would come out to the shows and get out on stage and play. >> you never really split-split. >> i've been with the band for 20 years. they were nice enough to let me do this thing. when came back in now, it was more collaborative. it's a lot more of everybody writing together. it used to be there was no room for that because i had all these songs and that was why i had the band. now i had the solo outlet. i could write for other people. >> you're also going to be on c-lo green's team on "the voice." >> he's a great guy. he's really -- >> he's got one of the great faces in the world. >> he's a sweet guy. >> he lights up. literally, the whole look, jewelry, the face, the eyes. >> he wears those -- all he wears is like the jogging suits. every time i see him, i think, i just got in the wrong genre of music. this whole tight pants thing in the music world is not working. should have gone into hip-hop just for the gear. >> rob thomas from matchbox twenty.
12:22 am
the new album is "north." the new single is "she's so mean." we'll be right back. ♪ (train horn) vo: wherever our trains go, the economy comes to life. norfolk southern. one line, infinite possibilities.
12:23 am
impact wool exports from new zealand, textile production in spain, and the use of medical technology in the u.s.? at t. rowe price, we understand the connections of a complex, global economy. it's just one reason over 70% of our mutual funds beat their 10-year lipper average. t. rowe price. invest with confidence. request a prospectus or summary prospectus with investment information, risks, fees and expenses to read and consider carefully before investing. here's one story. i'm sean. i switched to advil® 10 months ago. biking can be really tough on the lower back and your upper thighs. you have some nasty aches and pains. i really like advil® because it takes care of it all. neck ache, shoulder pain and definitely lower back pain. i use advil® because my wife,
12:24 am
she's a nurse, she recommended it. [ male announcer ] make the switch. take action. take advil®. and if pain keeps you up, sleep better with advil® pm.
12:25 am
12:26 am
hey, how can i help you? >> well, i have a guitar here for you to take a look at. >> whoa. where in the world did you get this? >> i got this from my father. it's a 1956 gibson, electric. >> a lot of people say they start sounding better with age. i listen to way too much rock and roll in my youth and my hearing's half gone anyway and i wouldn't know. >> the five seasons now. "pawn stars" has dominated. averaging 6 million viewers per episode. which i can tell you is tv gold. these guys know a lot about gold. joining me now two men who make the show tick, rick harrison, his son. welcome. tell me the secret to your success. is it because in fact ironically america is suffering economically? when that happens, a business like yours tends to do well? >> that's sort of a misnomer. just because the economy's bad doesn't mean a pawnshop does
12:27 am
well. remember, all those things i buy, i have to sell. it's a catch-22. when the economy's really well, i'm not getting enough merchandise to sell. whether the economy's bad, i'm getting too much merchandise, not enough buyers. >> the optimum time is probably when the economy is okay. >> yeah. >> people still want to sell and you can get rid of it. >> yeah, that's probably it. >> corey, who comes in? is it literally anybody? is it a dynamic of rich, poor, black, white? who comes in your store? >> it's everybody. especially our store. the typical pawnshop's a little different. we're on the las vegas strip. so we've -- everybody from billionaires come in and shop to i mean your average single mom who just isn't getting her child support check and needs some money. >> why does a billionaire come to a pawnshop? >> people don't realize, most billionaires are actually pretty cheap. they're not going to go to rolex and buy a watch brand-new. especially when they can come to us and get it half price.
12:28 am
>> what has been the most surprised you've been? i know there must be a lot of surprises. when you look back, what have been the moments when you go, wow, when somebody's brought something in that's knocked your socks off? >> that happens a lot. >> this is quite incredible. you brought some stuff here that you've had brought in to you. this is actually the battle plan for eye iwo jima, is that right? >> yes. >> who brought this in? >> it was a person, his father had been on iwo jima. this was the battle plan he was given. he thought it was really neat. he had a daughter who was having a very expensive wedding. and he figured let grandpa pay for it. >> what did you give him for that? >> this was a few years ago. i don't remember the exact price. that's the big problem with things like this. it's really hard to -- when you have one of a kind, there's nothing to compare it to. if you have a coin, you can look up on the internet what this coin went for last time. >> would you remember even the
12:29 am
ballpark? >> i think it was right around $3,500, something like that. >> what is it worth? presumably what somebody will pay for it? >> i'm assuming 10, 12 grand. i'm not really selling it. one of the reasons i get so many people in my pawnshop is because i have all this weird stuff on the wall. so apparent -- right now that's one of the weird things on the wall. >> what would be the offer you couldn't refuse to get it off your wall? because everything's for sale -- >> i would sell it in a minute for 8 grand. >> really? >> yeah. >> this is our -- difference in -- >> the younger guy talking. 8 grand, coming off the wall, right? >> $8,000 or the iwo jima plan, i'll take the 8 grand. >> do you have any love for these things or is it all money? >> that's what he taught me since i was a little kid. this is just stuff. thank god these people had stuff they could sell to get the money they needed to get whatever they needed to do. because this is just -- >> some of it's quite sad. these for example are olympic medals.
12:30 am
from atlanta in '96 and barcelona in '92. joe green who won two bronze medals for the long jump. presumably, he had hit hard times. so do you remember his story? >> yeah. i think his story was basically that he, you know, he got injured, wasn't able to compete in 2000, and was doing some other things. and the way i look at it is thank god he had these to get him by the hard times. and because a lot of people don't have things to get them by. in the end, i look at it, it's still just stuff. >> how do you quantify an olympic medal? >> that's a very difficult thing. because they rarely if ever get on the market. being won by an american, makes it worth more. also, atlanta's pretty neat because it was an american game. i think it would be worth more. >> remember what you paid? >> actually, i gave him a loan on them. not really allowed to tell.
12:31 am
>> he hopes to come back? >> he never redeemed them. he defaulted on the loan. >> so he'll never get them back? >> no. >> sad, isn't it? >> it's sad but -- >> do you ever feel sad or is the lesson you hand down is you can't afford -- >> usually -- a pawn broker out of business. >> your heart apparently. be honest here. >> you do have to look at it, i hope it got him by that rough spot. >> you're a man with no morals or scruples. is there anything you would turn down? >> yeah -- >> have you ever turned anything down? >> we won't take any german world war ii items. >> really? >> i won't do it. it's just, you know, it's the creepy factor of it. where, you know, people will come in the store and they're instantly offended by seeing it. and it's not really a moral thing, it's a money thing. where if someone's mad the second they see something in the store, they're not going to spend any money. >> me, i just think it's got bad mojo and things like that. >> your interest is more to do
12:32 am
with the fact that other people might be annoyed. it's not your personal morals kicking in. i thought he'd gone soft. anything else? any other sort of thing you feel strongly you wouldn't want to be party to? >> i mean, just anything in that era. i wouldn't take anything from saddam hussein. there are really disturbed people that collect things like that. i just don't take it. >> there was a gas mask from world war i for a kid. it was just way too creepy to have there. >> weird sort of things that come in. and i suppose the obvious question is what is the most expensive thing that you've ever bought? >> it's a real easy one. we buy and sell gold a lot. we're one of the few places that you can bring your gold bars down and we'll give you cash. >> do people walk in with gold bars? >> oh, yeah, every day. >> tell us the biggest -- what's the biggest chunk of gold you've ever had to deal with? >> i can't remember what it was. i just remember we gave him 500 grand for it.
12:33 am
>> $500,000? >> yes. >> really? >> yeah. believe me, i was in my car selling it to the guy immediately after. >> if you're smart, what is the markup? >> when we buy something like art, that's going to maybe sit around for years, we're going to pay you a lot less. if you bring us a gold coin or something like that, we don't mind making 1%. >> so on that kind of thing, that huge amount of gold? >> 1% i'm happy with. >> really? >> i mean, it's a lot of people i don't understand who are in business. would say, i would never do that for 1%. it's 5,000 bucks. 5,000 bucks is a lot better than no bucks. >> is that the attitude and strategy? take the cash when you can? >> yeah, you have to -- i mean, it's business. some things you're going to make a lot on. >> the worst thing for you is a fully stocked still presumably. >> it's a tough struggle. because you're always wanting to buy stuff. you have to sell the stuff.
12:34 am
we try and keep it level. it never worked out. >> it's a fascinating business. it's an amazingly successful show. congratulate both of you. it's a really interesting world. i hope it continues to thrive for you. thank you both very much. "pawn stars" airs on monday night on the history channel. next, i'll talk to alanis morissette. going from an angry young woman of rock to a young mom.
12:35 am
mid grade dark roast forest fresh full tank brain freeze cake donettes rolling hot dogs g of ice anti-freeze wash and dry diesel self-serve fix a flat jumper cables 5% cashback signup for 5% cashback at gas stations through september. it pays to discover. i'm an expert on softball. and tea parties. i'll have more awkward conversations than i'm equipped for because i'm raising two girls on my own. i'll worry about the economy more than a few times before they're grown. but it's for them, so i've found a way. who matters most to you says the most about you. massmutual is owned by our policyholders so they matter most to us.
12:36 am
massmutual. we'll help you get there.
12:37 am
12:38 am
♪ yeah i really do think ♪ it's like rain on your wedding day ♪ ♪ it's a free ride ♪ when you're already there ♪ it's the good advice >> alanis morissette singing "ironic." "jagged little pill." a bona fide rock star. sold more than 60 million albums. she's about to release her first album in four years called unsurprisingly "havoc and bright lights."
12:39 am
she joins me now. welcome. >> thank you. >> i'm disappointed actually because -- >> why? >> imagined i would meet the rebellious explosive spitfire. the angry young woman. that was your description. "the new york times" called you the angry young woman. you seem so nice and normal. >> you have to be married to me to find that part. >> i suppose i can see a bit of explosion in there. >> it's feistiness. an ottawa, canada, rite of passage. we're fiery. respectful. we have decorum. we're respectful of people. we're considerate. we can be feisty. >> you're now canadian-american. you can vote in the american election? >> i can indeed. >> have you voted before? >> i have voted long distance as i traveled. >> what is your leaning? >> my meaning is towards the spiritual activism.
12:40 am
i like the extrapolation people may want to make with politics and war. i like to do the one on one sort of private intimate stuff. >> is it all getting a bit shamless -- >> yeah, more transparent. >> you've got two heavily super pac funded campaigns going on. all prepared to just lie, deceive. it's become almost a parody. >> there's an agenda. in terms of what we'll actually be putting into effect, that remains the big question. really it's the presentational self we're looking at. for me, the antiquated system is a system that i don't really necessarily buy into. i'd rather deal with how we can take care of our people. >> when you travel around the world as you do, usually successfully, what impression do you get about america these days? >> well, i can share mine and then others. >> yeah. >> i think we're the football playing older brother and
12:41 am
because i'm canadian i can say that canada's younger sort of book reading little sister, you know, and the french are the sensual sort of laissez-faire who cares about the football playing brother. >> what is britain? >> the britain are the thoughtful intellectual -- >> i like this. >> yeah. >> handsome? >> i dare say. yes. very charming, the english. >> excellent. but what is the do you think global view of modern america? have you detected it changing in the last few years? >> i, upon chatting with a lot of people around the planet, i think a lot of people are -- perceive america to be a little narcissistic and a little traumatized. even art and magazines in general around the planet, there's more comfort with one's body. the whole hot topic of attachment parenting -- >> you're into this attachment parenting. >> yeah. if i had an aspiration at all in this regard, it would be to render the stages of development.
12:42 am
attachment, exploration, identity. that's where you say, yes, you are. get a sense of self. then competence. >> when you saw that woman breastfeeding her 5-year-old child -- >> yeah. >> i've got to be honest. i've got four children. i found that a little weird. i've got to be -- i didn't feel comfortable looking at that image. >>cy think she would be the first person to say that the actual experience of it is quite intimate and nurturing and the breast milk itself changing as women get older so -- >> your son is 2. >> almost. >> can you imagine -- did you breast feed him? do you mind me asking? >> yeah, i do. >> are you still breast feeding? >> yes. >> are you heading into the 4-year-old breastfeeding possibility? >> i live in the present. i'm in the luxurious position to allow him to self-wean. i know people's economic situation doesn't always allow for that. i happen to be in a position where i can make room for it. >> very interesting. now, how has marriage and parenting calmed you down? >> i would say i'm less
12:43 am
reactive. anger's still there. this passion really. a lot of people -- there's this erroneous thought that artists can only write when they're really depressed. for me it's passion that writes it so -- >> all my favorite artists basically have done their best stuff when they're tormented. >> i would say passion drives it for me. if i'm passionately in despair or passionately infatuated or passionately upset about something, it's the passion that drives the whole thing for me. >> what's the most passionate you've been about a songer? >> i think anger can move worlds. >> when were you the most furious? what was the song you wrote? >> just this morning. haven't wrote a song about it yet. >> can you remember writing a big song driven out sheer blind fury? >> yeah, reflecting on ex-boyfriends can bring that out in any woman i think or any man frankly. >> come on then. give me an example. >> an example. writing "you ought to know." what might have been misperceived it it was just
12:44 am
anger. but it was actually devastation. i was pretty devastated. but it was too vulnerable for me to deal with that grief and that vulnerability. >> you said a very interesting thing actually. you were talking about emotions. how you believe that people who only salute happy emotions are kind of missing the point of life. that life is about all extremities of emotions. >> yeah, we're sold a bill of goods that happiness is the goal but happiness in and of itself is a temporary state. these are all states and they're like waves that move through. grief, you know, it takes you over. you don't really have control. but the idea on a spiritual level this is another void, if i were to speak about what internationally the perception is of america, is there's this challenge with one's relationship with god or spirit or consciousness, whatever word we want to use. there's a void there. that wreaks a lot of havoc. our perception of ourselves and each other. >> let's take a little break. i want to come back. i want to talk to you about your rap star husband. >> my joy. >> yeah. such a cool thing to say.
12:45 am
married to a rap star. >> who gets to say that? >> and get around to talking about music. >> okay, great. >> dragging, kicking, screaming back into music. ♪ it's a free ride ♪ when you're already there those surprising little things she does still make you take notice. there are a million reasons why. but your erectile dysfunction that could be a question of blood flow. cialis for daily use helps you be ready anytime the moment's right. you can be more confident in your ability to be ready. and the same cialis is the only daily ed tablet approved
12:46 am
to treat ed and symptoms of bph, like needing to go frequently or urgently. tell your doctor about all your medical conditions and medications, and ask if your heart is healthy enough for sexual activity. do not take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain, as this may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. do not drink alcohol in excess with cialis. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache or muscle ache. to avoid long-term injury, seek immediate medical help for an erection lasting more than four hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision, or if you have any allergic reactions such as rash, hives, swelling of the lips, tongue or throat, or difficulty breathing or swallowing, stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. ask your doctor about cialis for daily use and a 30-tablet free trial. i'm also a survivor of ovarian a writand uterine cancers. i even wrote a play about that. my symptoms were a pain in my abdomen and periods that were heavier and longer than usual for me.
12:47 am
if you have symptoms that last two weeks or longer, be brave, go to the doctor. ovarian and uterine cancers are gynecologic cancers. symptoms are not the same for everyone. i got sick...and then i got better. why they're always there to talk. i love you, james. don't you love me? i'm a robot. i know. i know you're a robot! but there's more in you than just circuits and wires! uhhh. (cries) a machine can't give you what a person can. that's why ally has knowledgeable people there for you, night and day. ally bank. your money needs an ally. have led to an increase intands clinical depression. drug and alcohol abuse is up. and those dealing with grief don't have access to the professional help they need. when you see these issues, do you want to walk away or step up?
12:48 am
with a degree in the field of counseling or psychology from capella university, you'll have the knowledge to make a difference in the lives of others. let's get started at capella.edu
12:49 am
♪ i'll be your demand >> from alanis morissette's first album. you couldn't watch yourself there. what's that all about? >> it wasn't in real time so it was super disconcerting but i love that video. >> as a teen, i was both anorexic and bulimic. i was trying to protect myself from men. using their power in ways i was too young to know how to handle. >> nice. that is accurate. >> a really interesting observation. i suspect shared by many young female singers. you're entering the world particularly when you came into it very misogynist, very tough for any young woman.
12:50 am
>> very prevalent. now it's a little bit more of a popular term to use. back in the day it wasn't. being on the receiving end of that. yeah, i think perfectionism and beauty were coupled for a long time, you know, whereas beauty now, i perceive it more to be someone uniquely expressed and just kind of milking what they have. >> if i'd said to you when you were a young alanis in canada you're going to end up married to a rapper and have a son called ever. >> i would have said can i skip over all the hard part and wait for him. although i wouldn't have been able to chronicle everything. >> is this true love for you? >> yeah. love for me is a verb. love kicks in when things are hard. i think relationships go infatuation, and this third phase where you can participate in the healing of the partner.
12:51 am
we have glipss of that but love for me is when i don't feel very loving. it's a verb. it's an action for me. >> how many times would you been properly in love in your life. >> i've been infatuated about a billion times and loving in either case. >> where your heart either aches or breaks. >> i was a love addict through and through. there's a true recovery pattern. >> were you drawn to constantly inappropriate men. >> i was drawn to the back walking away. she's the queen of love addiction recovery for me and i thank my sweet baby jesus for introducing me to her books. >> you really think you're a love addict. >> no question. >> i've never interviewed one of those before. >> you probably have a million times. >> i've interviewsed sex addicts. >> sometimes they're bed fellows.
12:52 am
how did you know when this guy was for you? >> values being the same, for me partnership, family, commitment. seeing marriage as a hot bed for growth and healing. not everyone views marriage as the alchemy as it can be in affording the wholeness. i'm obsessed with due alty and obsessed. >> are you still a catholic. >> no i'm not an organized religion kind of person. >> do you believe in god. >> i love god. >> do you pray? >> i pray all the time. >> i'm praying right now. >> for what? >> the interview to end? to continue. >> i pray all the time. >> tell me about this new album. havoc and bright lights. there's a love sing for my
12:53 am
husband, a song called "woman down" where i talked about the women's movement. consciousness, there's a song called edge of evolution and win and win the new paradigm being in business or politics or in romance win and win is the kind of new mantra. >> where as the answer is probably compromise i would guess, right? >> i don't know if compromise is actually the word. it's the agreement or the deal or whatever it is, it really literally mutually benefits both people. so there is no sense of compromise in that way. i think the old paradigm was win/lose and people would be okay with that. it can lead to war and violence. >> do you like being a celebrity? >> i love it. i used to hate it because i was a people watcher because i would
12:54 am
sit on park benches and all of a sudden everyone's eyes turn to me. but in the late '90s i realized that i could use fame to serve my agenda. and i wrote a song called celebrity on this record where i do comment on the idea of fame being an end versus a means to an end. you know? fame as a means to an end is a tool for me to serve. but in and of itself it proved to be hollow. >> it's been a real pleasure to meet you. i'm a big fan and the fact that you're interesting makes it even better. we'll be right back. ♪ ♪ the country. whether it's supporting a delaware nonprofit that's providing training and employment opportunities, investing in the revitalization of a neighborhood in the bronx,
12:55 am
or providing the financing to help a beloved san diego bakery expand, what's important to communities across the country is important to us. and we're proud to work with all of those who are creating a stronger future for everyone.
12:56 am
try capzasin-hp. it penetrates deep to block pain signals for hours of relief. capzasin-hp. take the pain out of arthritis.
12:57 am
[ female announcer ] pop in a whole new kind of clean. with new tide pods. just one removes more stains than the 6 next leading pacs combined pop in. stand out. than the 6 next leading pacs combined mom: ready t♪ go to work? ♪
12:58 am
♪ ♪ every mom needs a little helper. that's why i got a subaru. announcer: love. it's what makes a subaru, a subaru. he means everything to us. he was diagnosed with cancer about two years ago. we went with a.m. buyation but a couple of days ago he had a growth on his chest. >> given the fact he had an aggressive type of tumor, i think that should come off. >> i recently got laid off and we were expecting our first
12:59 am
baby. we were faced with this huge vet bill. >> i think we will be able to help you out. >> the economy being what it is. people are faced with the choice of having to give up that you are dogs because they couldn't afford them any more. they're doing their best to get back on track and then a crisis happens and it's just one more thing. i'm mar la manning and i lost a puppy named ladybug. dogs live in the moment, they bring you to your place of happiness no matter where you are in your life. if we can help with food, medical visits or even surgery to keep this family together, they're able to take that burden away. we're going to put our maximum amount on charlie, which is $800.

88 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on