Skip to main content

tv   The Lead With Jake Tapper  CNN  July 8, 2013 4:00pm-5:00pm EDT

4:00 pm
context, your son was killed late evening sunday, february 26th, and you would have givone over to the sanford police department the morning of the 28th? >> yes. i'm jake tapper. you're watching live coverage of the trayvon martin murder trial. the defense has called trayvon's father, tracy to the stand. >> and officers had come to your house on the 27th and told you that your son was dead, right? first they wanted to verify that that was your son, in terms of he didn't have an i.d. with him so they wanted for you to verify that he was the person that they found out in the courtyard at
4:01 pm
twin lakes where brandy green lived, right? >> correct. >> and i gather you went and got a picture of your son just to show them who your son was, or did they show you a picture of the person who at that time was described as an unknown person in the courtyard, they showed you a picture of a body on the ground, correct? >> objection, your honor. may we approach? >> yes. >> there's been an objection and the two lawyers are approaching the bench right now. i want to bring in christopher darden, and diane tennis. chris, what do you think of the trial so far today? it seems as though there have
4:02 pm
been some big blows to the prosecution. right now we have trayvon martin's father trying to rebut a point made by officer serino. officer serino said trayvon martin's father initially said that it was not his son trayvon's voice on the recording and the father is saying that's not in fact what he said. how do you think that it plays with the jury? >> well, i think it places the prosecution in a terrible, terrible position. this is a classic scorch-and-burn defense. they are attacking every witness and they are attacking each and every bases upon which the prosecution claims this is a murder versus an excusable or justifiable homicide. >> and diana, what's your take on the day's events so far? >> certainly hearing from the people who love george zimmerman, it's hard to think of him not as a good guy at this point.
4:03 pm
so, yes, the defense has made some inroads. >> all right. let's see what's going on in the courtroom right now as they continue the questioning of trayvon martin's father, tracy. >> mr. martin, i was asking you about the 27th, direct serino came and showed you a photograph and you identified it as your son, corrects? >> correct. >> and we move to the 28th and you go down with at the time brandy green, correct? >> correct. >> and at that time they played several recordings for you, correct? >> yeah, they played a series of 91 1 calls. >> and these were calls where neighbors had called in regarding what you now knew was the death of your son, correct in. >> correct. >> and the recordings were of people calling and explaining that somebody had been shot and i'm sure you listened to the
4:04 pm
person now identified as the lady who went hysterical in the 911 call, you were listening to all that? >> to my recollection, i don't think detective serino played each call in its entirety. to my knowledge, he played some of each call leading up to the last call with the fatal shot. >> so they played the call then of the cries for help and then you actually hear a shot; is that correct? >> correct. >> and am i safe to assume that you still at that time were in denial in the sense of not wanting to believe that your son was dead? >> correct. >> and this was an emotional time for you. would that be fair to say? >> very emotional. >> your honor, i must object. >> then give me your --
4:05 pm
>> your previous ruling. >> we're now on the day of the phone calls being played. overruled. >> this was a very emotional time this was going on, the day the recording was played for you at the sanford police department, correct? >> correct. >> and you listened to the recording and as you stated, described to the jury, you pulled your chair back in disbelief that you were actually listening to voices for help and also more importantly also in shock? -- the shot? >> yes. >> you realized that that was the shot -- >> that killed my son, yes. >> did you really know what to do at that point? >> no, from that point until today my world has just been
4:06 pm
turned upside down. >> let's focus on that day. then after you heard the cries for help, the recording that's been record to as the lauer recording and also the shot, at that same time investigator serino asked you about the recording, if you could recognize the voice, correct? >> correct. >> and i'm assuming that was difficult for you to even contemplate identifying or not identifying the voice; is that correct? >> correct. >> okay. and as best you could, you attempted to answer investigator serino. is that true? >> yes. >> now, as was pointed out, there was a lot of commotion in that recording, wasn't there, the yells for help, the person calling and most importantly the shot, too. in terms of your mind, what was going through your mind, can you describe to the jury what was
4:07 pm
going through your mind when you were listening to that? >> basically what i was listening to, i was listening to my son's last cry for help, i was listening to his life being taken and i was coming -- trying to come to grips that trayvon was here no more. it was -- it was just tough. >> and as mr. o'mara pointed out, a subsequent time you were present when that recording was played again at the mayor's office; is that correct? >> correct. >> and i believe your former wife, miss fulton, was present, correct? >> correct. >> and i think you said you wanted to listen to it. did you listen to that recording and then other recordings at that time, too?
4:08 pm
>> i can't remember if it was all in the 911 call or just that last 911 call, but i do remember that i took control of the mouse or the clicker or whatever it was that they had and i was able to rewind that same tape over and over again. >> did you want to, i guess, hear your son's voice over and over just to -- at that point did you get any comfort i guess is what i'm trying to ask? >> object again, same objection as before. overruled. >> may i have the question read back for argument? >> i'll be glad to rephrase the question. >> thank you. >> you were playing that recording over and over.
4:09 pm
you were still dealing with this, his death? >> yes. >> now, this was back -- god, it was sometime in march. it was later it, it wasn't like days later you were dealing with his death? >> did you write down one, two, three, four five or are you estimated you played it 20 times? >> i'm estimating i played it 20 times. >> and you played it over and over. were you trying to deal with it? >> it's not so much i was trying to deal with it. i was trying to official out the night of federal budget 26, 2012, why did this defendant get out of his vehicle and chase my son. >> and you weren't there when it happened, correct? >> correct. >> and this recording, i guess, is one of the last things in terms of hearing the voice and
4:10 pm
the shot, you were trying as best you can to figure out what happened or why it happened? >> yes. >> thank you, sir. no further questions. >> redirect? >> yes. >> do you believe the police lied when the officers said you said no about it being your son? >> objection. >> your honor, i think this is necessary. >> you have to rephrase your question because it's not proper to have a witness comment on another witness's testimony. >> did you ever instruct your attorney -- you didn't have ben crump when you listened to the tape on the 28th, did you? >> no. >> later did he instruct you to say that the police lied when they said that you couldn't tell -- when they said that you had said no about it being your son's voice? did you instruct your lawyer to say that? >> i never instructed anyone to say that.
4:11 pm
>> you never instructed ben crump to lie to the police about that? >> i never instructed anyone else to say anything. >> did you instruct your lawyer ben crump to say that the tape had been cleared up -- >> no, i did not. >> as trayvon martin's father steps down, we're going to take a quick break and be back with more from the george zimmerman murder trial. i'm phil mickelson, pro golfer. when i was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis, my rheumatologist prescribed enbrel for my pain and stiffness, and to help stop joint damage. [ male announcer ] enbrel may lower your ability to fight infections. serious, sometimes fatal events including infections, tuberculosis, lymphoma, other cancers, nervous system and blood disorders, and allergic reactions have occurred. before starting enbrel,
4:12 pm
your doctor should test you for tuberculosis and discuss whether you've been to a region where certain fungal infections are common. you should not start enbrel if you have an infection like the flu. tell your doctor if you're prone to infections, have cuts or sores, have had hepatitis b, have been treated for heart failure, or if you have symptoms such as persistent fever, bruising, bleeding, or paleness. since enbrel helped relieve my joint pain, it's the little things that mean the most. ask your rheumatologist if enbrel is right for you. [ doctor ] enbrel, the number one biologic medicine prescribed by rheumatologists.
4:13 pm
where over seventy-five percent tof store management started ase i'm the next american success story. working for a company hourly associates. there's opportunity here. i can use walmart's education benefits to get a degree, maybe work in it, or be an engineer, helping walmart conserve energy. even today, when our store does well, i earn quarterly bonuses. when people look at me, i hope they see someone working their way up. vo: opportunity, that's the real walmart. the healthcare law gives us powerful tools to fight it... to investigate it... ...prosecute it... and stop criminals. our senior medicare patrol volunteers... are teaching seniors across the country... ...to stop, spot, and report fraud. you can help. guard your medicare card. don't give out your card number over the phone. call to report any suspected fraud. we're cracking down on medicare fraud. let's make medicare stronger for all of us.
4:14 pm
welcome back to cnn's live continuous coverage of the george zimmerman murder trial. we're hearing testimony from the former chief of police, william lee, who was forced to resign from that position about a year ago. let's listen. >> from may of 2011 to june of 2012. >> did you say that you came out of retirement in your deposition? >> i retired from the seminole county state's office and took a position to provide training in the area of law enforcement corrections, firefighting, paramedic and emt services and a two-year degree program at each of those disciplines. >> were you then sort of recruited from the teaching position to get reactivated in
4:15 pm
law enforcement from chief of sanford p.d.? >> that position came available while i was still at the sheriff's office and i applied for that. >> particularly to this case, then, i presume that you were not -- were you hands on or are you just in a supervisory role over the investigation with the george zimmerman case? >> i was in a supervisory or administrative role with the police department. >> but you -- did you have particular focus on this case as well as time went on from february 26 during the time that you still had involvement in the case? >> yes, sir. >> did that also include the playing of a 911 call for the martin family members? were you aware of that decision? and i want to focus you at this
4:16 pm
point, simply were you aware that that decision had been made, that the tape was going to be played for the martin family? >> my recommendation was that the 911 -- >> i want to be careful a little bit, that's why i focused the question. i don't want to spend a lot of time dealing with the decision to play the tape. i want to focus once that decision was made and we'll talk about from that point forward. so you were aware, were you not, that a decision would be made that the tape would be released to be played to the martin family; is that correct? >> yes. >> once that decision had been made, i want to focus you on the way that the recording was played for the martin family. okay? >> yes, sir. >> so generally speaking, with your experience in law
4:17 pm
enforcement, within the context of what we will call lineups or whether that be a visual lineup or audio lineup, what is the -- what are the best practices as to how to handle lineups generally? >> generally just as in, for example, a photo lineup, you would show that photo array or that piece of evidence to a potential witness in a case individually. >> okay. and what is the purpose of doing it individually rather than in a group? >> so their decision is not influenced. >> one from the other? one witness influencing another witness? >> yes, sir. >> so if in fact you were showing, as an example, a photo lineup to this jury and asked them if they could pick out me, would you do it as a group as a jury, or would you do it individually one juror at a
4:18 pm
time? >> you should do it individually. >> and the purpose of doing it individually as opposed to the group? >> so their identification would not be influenced by others. >> is that a similar process, then, to what would be done with an audio lineup? >> should be, yes, sir. >> an audio lineup similar to a photo lineup is having someone listen to a piece of evidence to see if they can identify anything in that piece of evidence? >> yes, sir. >> and that is what was going to happen in this case once the decision was made to play it for the martin family, correct? that it was going to be played for them? >> it was my understanding that one member of their family had already listened to that tape, you know. again, my recommendation -- >> right. we're going to talk -- i don't want to talk about your
4:19 pm
recommendation as to anything other than once a decision was made, what was your recommendation as to how the tape should be played for the family members? >> it should be played individually. >> do you know the result of how it was played? was it played individually or as a group? >> it's my understanding it was played in a group setting in the mayor's office. >> was law enforcement present? >> no, sir. >> in your years of experience, how is -- is that normally an event that would be handled by law enforcement? >> yes, sir. >> may i have a moment, your honor?
4:20 pm
>> in this particular case then, did you ask to be present during the time that the recording was to be played for the family? >> i offered to be present, yes, sir. >> and that was accepted? >> no, sir. >> were you excluded from the room? >> yes, sir. >> nothing further, your honor. >> thank you. cross? >> good afternoon, sir. >> good afternoon. >> the mayor made a decision not to have you in there; is that correct? >> i believe i asked the city manager if he wanted me nobody the room and they declined. >> the city manager was your boss? >> that's correct. >> so is the mayor, i'm assuming, too, by virtue of that? >> in my position, my contract, it was with the city manager.
4:21 pm
>> and the recording itself was played in the mayor's office, correct? >> yes, that's correct. >> i apologize. did you finish answering? >> i did. >> and you were not present in the mayor's office? >> i was not in the mayor's office. >> you were in the same build bug not in the mayor's office when that was played? >> that is correct. >> and you were asked about the lineup. you're talking about you don't want to have it suggestive, you don't want to have -- normally a lineup includes six photographs and have you a person look at the lineup and then identify if they know one of the individuals that did something to him or was a witness or whatever; is that correct? >> that's correct. >> what you don't want to do is show them a photograph, just one by itself, correct? >> that's correct. >> now also in a lineup, you don't want a potential witness to a crime to have seen something on tv saying this is the person and this case is about this and here's a
4:22 pm
photograph. you don't want to do that either, correct? >> preferably not. >> because that would be kind of tainting it, correct ? >> in other words, in your experience, you have a witness says i heard a voice on tv and they broadcast the voice of joe on tv and that would be tainted, correct? >> possibly. >> okay. >> and the reason is because the person potentially was influenced by the fact that the case dealt with joe and they knew joe was arrested and there's a photograph of joe that now would be tainted potentially, correct? >> possibly, yes, sir. >> and that also would apply to voice, correct? >> yes. >> voice and photo lineups you
4:23 pm
kind of do the same thing, correct? >> if you can, yes, sir. >> and when you say a voice lineup, you would actually have six separate recordings to be fair in terms of completely accurate, you would have six separate voices, would you have a person listen to all six and say you if you did it similar to a photo lineup, would you have the person say which one do you recognize, correct? >> if you could have six audio recordings that were similar in nature when you prepare a lineup, there's supposed to be certain characteristics of that person that is the subject of that photo lineup that is similar to all the other photographs in the photo array. >> just like if you had a photo array, you wouldn't pick if the suspect had a beard, you wouldn't put one person with a beard and the others without a beard? >> correct. >> we're going to take a break
4:24 pm
and come back to more continuous, life coverage of the george zimmerman trial. chances are, you're not made of money, so don't overpay for boat insurance. geico, see how much you could save. ♪ hooking up the country whelping business run ♪ ♪ build! we're investing big to keep our country in the lead. ♪ load! we keep moving to deliver what you need. and that means growth, lots of cargo going all around the globe. cars and parts, fuel and steel, peas and rice, hey that's nice! ♪ norfolk southern what's your function? ♪ ♪ helping this big country move ahead as one ♪ ♪ norfolk southern how's that function? ♪
4:25 pm
4:26 pm
4:27 pm
good afternoon. i'm jake tapper. welcome back to "the lead." we just heard from the father of trayvon martin, who was called by the defense. then we heard from detective chris serino, former lead detective in the zimmermann case. but right now we're watching the former police chief leave the stand. we're going to review some of the things that happened earlier in the day. specifically here is a question, defense foreign relations mark o'mara, asking chris serino,
4:28 pm
former detective, about when the father first heard the 911 call. let's listen to that. >> okay. and what did you ask him? >> i believe my words were is that your son's voice in the background? i think i said it a little differently than that but i inquired if that was in fact his son yelling for help. >> and what was his response? >> he -- it was more of a verbal and nonverbal. he looked away and under his breath, as i interpreted it, said no. >> i want to bring in our legal experts, chris darden and diana tennis. court has recessed for the day so we're going to go over some of the key moments. tracy martin testified. he said listening to 911 call
4:29 pm
was very emotional for him, that he didn't say, no, that wasn't his son's voice. where does that leave the jury? do they disregard what serino, detective? where do they go? >> certainly they can disregard as he said he said no under his breath as he turned away. it pits the martins against the police department. are they telling the truth? are the police officers lying? at least the lead detective testified that he believed zimmerman was telling the truth earlier on in the trial. this type of evidence is -- testimony i think is devastating. i think we're at a point in the trial where it not just what witnesses say, it's what they don't say. there was a lot to be
4:30 pm
interpreted from the testimony mr. martin gave. >> what would you interpret? >> well, when you take mr. martin's testimony and then you follow it up with the former chief of police, it appears that the politicians have taken control over this homicide investigation. the person responsible for conducting the investigation, the chief of police, has been excluded. so that this perhaps is in fact a political prosecution. >> interesting. diana, walk us through why the defense called the former chief of police, bill lee, we just heard from him. what is the defense trying to establish? is it what chris said? >> oh, yeah. christopher put it beautifully. the jurors came m this morning already knowing what they believed about whose voice it was. there want going to be any changing nanybody's mind on who was trying help. they gave up two breaks this morning because they wanted to get on with it.
4:31 pm
we've seen the defense pretending whose voice it is. it isn't. it's about showing the jury how wonderful george zimmerman is by bringing to the this grouping of responsible, nice, heartfelt, good people who clearly believe 1,000% in george zimmerman. that was the purpose for the lay witnesses and christopher is exactly right. when you have the family and the mayor in a closed meeting that you take away the police, you uninvite law enforcement to this meeting with potential witnesses and a huge piece of evidence and this case gets born on the couch of sybrina fulton, rachel jeantel, it really does smack of a political process. at what point does the defense have enough out there to argue it in closing argument?
4:32 pm
right now we're getting a smear of it but i don't know that they have enough to get down and dirty in their closing. >> let listen to one witness who was particularly noteworthy, a friend of zimmerman's. his name is tom donnelly. he said he served in the war and was able to recognize the screams of people. he had no hesitation in identifying the voice. >> there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that is george zimmerman. and i wish to god i did not have that ability to understand that. >> diana, with that story, do you think that donnelly is a more credible witness about whose voice that is screaming on the 911 call than say zimmerman's mother or trayvon martin's mother?
4:33 pm
does donnelly and his professed experties make a difference you think? >> assume for a minute the jury is not making up their mind about the voice i.d. based on other evidence, which is what i suspect. to me the most impactful witnesses have not been the moms because, frankly, neither one of them honestly came across as that emotional or there wasn't enough to hold on to to feel like you really got to know them during their testimony. but george zimmerman's uncle, who we heard from on friday and this vietnam vet friend who considers him like a son both were impactful, emotional. george zimmerman showed actual emotion when they were testifying for the first time ever. these guys, not on do they clearly believe to their tippy toes, law enforcement, military toes that this was george zimmerman's voice, but they believe in him as a person and love him. i just think that goes a really
4:34 pm
long way. i mean, just -- i think that goes a really long way. because what the defense is worried about is we win on the law but we lose on the hearts of the jury and they say i just can't let this thing pass, let's do a compromised vaerd or i just can't let this go. the defense wants them to want to acquit george zimmerman and that's what they're working on to today. >> christopher, do you think the jury will end up saying look, there's no way at all i can identify this voice and ultimately disregard that? and if that is ultimately what they con seclude, that i suspect would be a much bigger blow to the prosecution? >> it would certainly be a much bigger blow to the prosecution. i think the whole voice evidence issue shows the difference between prosecution and defense counsel. the prosecution, they bring a mother, they bring a brother. the defense, they think outside the box and bring a whole
4:35 pm
variety of different people. and the suggestion is not just that it was zimmerman's voice, it was no doubt, no question. >> we're going to take a very quick back. when we come back, more analysis that has ban day full of moving and consequential testimony. back after this. when possibilities become reality. with centurylink as your trusted partner, our visionary cloud infrastructure and global broadband network free you to focus on what matters. with custom communications solutions and responsive, dedicated support, we constantly evolve to meet your needs. every day of the week. centurylink® your link to what's next. "that starts with one of the world's most advancedy," distribution systems," "and one of the most efficient trucking networks,"
4:36 pm
"with safe, experienced drivers." "we work directly with manufacturers," "eliminating costly markups," "and buy directly from local farmers in every region of the country." "when you see our low prices, remember the wheels turning behind the scenes, delivering for millions of americans, everyday. "dedication: that's the real walmart"
4:37 pm
[ babies crying ] surprise -- your house was built on an ancient burial ground. [ ghosts moaning ] surprise -- your car needs a new transmission. [ coyote howls ] how about no more surprises? now you can get all the online trading tools you need without any surprise fees. ♪ it's not rocket science. it's just common sense. from td ameritrade. icaused by acid reflux disease, relieving heartburn, relief is at hand. for many, nexium provides 24-hour heartburn relief
4:38 pm
and may be available for just $18 a month. there is risk of bone fracture and low magnesium levels. side effects may include headache, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. if you have persistent diarrhea, contact your doctor right away. other serious stomach conditions may exist. don't take nexium if you take clopidogrel. relief is at hand for just $18 a month. talk to your doctor about nexium. welcome back to "the lead." i'm jake tapper. we're continuing our wrapup of the george zimmerman trial. one of the honor moments came today when the defense called to the stand zimmerman's trainer at a gym. he teaches people mixed martial arts. he went to great lengths to describe some of the training he does, which required him to mount attorney o'mara.
4:39 pm
the defense felt that pollack could grade zimmerman's athleticism at the time of the shooting. >> i think you have a feel where people fit based on their abilities in athleticism. on a scale of one to ten, where would mr. zimmerman fit? >> like i said brk a one. he's still learn how long to punch. he didn't know how to effectively punch. >> diana, i found this kind of curious. the prosecution didn't bring this up. why would the defense call attention to the fact that this guy wasn't in shape or as his trainer referred to him fat, 1%, .5% on a scale of 1 to 10. why bring it up?
4:40 pm
>> the state did talk about this in their opening. even when nobody brings in evidence of what they've said and the jury is told that's not evidence, i think the defense still felt like they needed to say this guy was big, certainly bigger around than trayvon martin, but he was not in shape, he was not athletic, he was not somebody who would be able to take him in a fight. and as the injuries seem to support, it doesn't appear that zimmerman got a blow in prior to drawing the weapon after sustaining injuries himself. so i don't know that it was necessarily necessary at this point and certainly george zimmerman's got to be a little bit embarrassed. i mean he's called obese one day and he's called a pansy the next. but at any rate, the defense felt they needed to go that far. >> he said that zimmerman effectively didn't know how to throw a punch. does that help the defense's
4:41 pm
case? one could argue that it maybe meant, maybe suggests that he was more willing to use his gun. i'm just thinking as to what the jury might interpret from this and whether or not this was a good idea for the defense to call this witness. >> i think it cuts both ways. but to show that zimmerman is a nonphysical important, a nonphysical specimen, i think it helps the defense. now certainly a semiautomatic pistol is an equalizer and -- >> keep going. >> and i suppose the notion is that he's too fat to fight, he's too fat to defend himself, he's too out of shape, he punches like a girl. what else can he do when his head is being rammed into the sidewalk 25 times? >> i think the suggestion is likely from the defense is that he wouldn't have started it, although i don't know that the jury will take that from the testimony. >> well, we know he started it because he followed him. >> i mean actually starting the punching and the fighting.
4:42 pm
>> sure, sure. >> an emotional moment came from the trial today from the defendant when zimmerman's friend, john donnelly, who we were referring to before the break, the former medic in vietnam, he was testifying about how well he knew zimmerman. we've seen lots of emotion when it came to people talking about trayvon martin, some very poignant martin from tracy martin, trayvon martin's dad. let's take a look at zimmerman's reaction to donnelly talking about him. >> one time he came down and asked me to show him how to show a windsor knot in a tie. and that just touched a very little personal part of my heart. and he's always been there ever since. >> so we credit you for the tie he's wearing? >> yes, sir. >> matter, we can probably credit you for more than just the tie, i understand; is that
4:43 pm
correct? did you help him with some clothing to get ready for his trial? >> yes, sir. i took george down and i believe i bought him three suits. >> diana, this may be the most emotional we've seen zimmerman during this trial, telling the story about i taught him how to tie a tie, i bought him clothes. how does this affect the jury, do you think? >> well, it got to be huge. it's pretty typical that a jury would not get to know a criminal defendant at all, tlparticularl this this case where we know the defense has absolutely no reason to call him for factual issues. all they're going to get to know of george zimmerman is through these witnesses. and it's just the bizarrity of this case of whose voice is who, and it's the only the defense can substantiate these people by
4:44 pm
substantiating how well they know him. normally you wouldn't have all of the characteristic stuff. if the state's not objecting, you're going to go into the sweet tie story. why not, you know? >> christopher, as a prosecutor, would you have been objecting as you bring up this former vietnam veteran talking about teaching the defendant how to tie a tie? would you have been objecting if you had been working for the state? >> absolutely because he's not really offering anything helpful in terms of what happened. but what he's doing, this witness, is he is humanizing zimmerman so that not only is he a person who ought to be saved from a murder conviction, but he is a person who is worthy of being saved from it.
4:45 pm
when i look at the defense witnesses today and excluding trayvon's dad, these witnesses are really selling zimmerman's story. you see the emotion, you see the conviction, you go back to zimmerman's dad. he's basically being accused of being a liar and he's sitting there calm and collected without emotion. if we were scoring this fight, you know, the defense would be ahead by several rounds. >> all right, we're going to come back and get some thoughts about what we can expect from the george zimmerman trial tomorrow with our legal experts. plus, some other news in the world today. of course they found chunks of the plane in the sea wall as well as in the water in front of the runway and we're digging for answers after that plane crash in san francisco. some breaking news. stay with us. s! ♪ they connect the factories built along the lines.
4:46 pm
and that means jobs, lots of people, making lots and lots of things. let's get your business rolling now, everybody sing. ♪ norfolk southern what's your function? ♪ ♪ helping this big country move ahead as one ♪ ♪ norfolk southern how's that function? ♪ [ chainsaw buzzing ] humans. sometimes, life trips us up. sometimes, we trip ourselves up. and although the mistakes may seem to just keep coming at you, so do the solutions. like multi-policy discounts from liberty mutual insurance. save up to 10% just for combining your auto and home insurance. call liberty mutual insurance at... to speak with an insurance expert and ask about all the personalized savings available for when you get married, move into a new house,
4:47 pm
or add a car to your policy. personalized coverage and savings -- all the things humans need to make our world a little less imperfect. call... and ask about all the ways you could save. liberty mutual insurance -- responsibility. what's your policy? saving time by booking an appointment online, even smarter. online scheduling. available now at meineke.com.
4:48 pm
4:49 pm
welcome back to "the lead." crashing, spinning, burning, breaking into pieces, cnn has video of the moment the 777 crashed into the sea wall. it's one of many pieces of evidence that is being used to determine what went so terribly wrong. the data recorders are telling them the flight was coming in too low and too slow for landing, forcing the pilot to aport a little more than a second prior to the impact. this was the ninth time he had flown a 777 but his first attempt at landing it at sfo, which has unique challenges, like narrow landing description, right at the water's edge and unpredictable wind.
4:50 pm
and this day there was an added challenge, that pilots could not rely on an instrument landing system, they were down for construction. looking at the burned out hunk of the fuselage that's still sitting there, it's hard to believe that all but it would have the 307 passengers and crew survived. 123 of them amazingly, miraculously walked away on their own. still 182 were hospitalized. some were paralyzed and for many life may never be the same. sarah is outside san francisco general hospital where some of the victims are recovering. what's the latest you're hearing? >> reporter: i can tell you some sad news for many of the families here because at least two of the patients that are in the hospital here have been paralyzed according to doctors. and so their entire lives changed by just something that happened really in a split second. also there are seven patients here still recovering, sex of
4:51 pm
them critical, one of them a small child. we can tell you of the two patients that died, the two people that died there out at the crash, we know that the chinese consulate because there were two 16-year-olds, coming to have fun at a summer camp, the chinese consulate who showed up here at the hospital, they told us, look, we are trying to get their parents here and that many of the parents from china, because there was a large number of students and some teachers on that flight from shanghai in particular, that those families are actually heading here to san francisco, that many of them have left china and that the consulate is helping to get them here and get them in touch with their family members who were victims of this crash. >> and sara, we're told one of the girls killed may have survived the actual crash and then it was possible that something else happened. please tell us what the latest is on that. >> i have never heard this
4:52 pm
before, but one of the things that we did hear from fire officials today is that they do believe that one of the emergency vehicles came out trying to save people, trying to save lives ended up coming into contact, their vehicle, with one of the victims, one of the victims you mentioned just now, one of the 16-year-old students who died. now the coroner is trying to figure out how that person died, whether she died from the actual plane crash, an injury she sustained from the crash or whether she was killed after being run over. jake? >> sara, thank you so much. >> our world lead today is the complicated and deadly state that egypt is in right now. you're looking at live pictures of tahrir chang. -- tahrir square. more than 50 people were killed in a battle between officials and protesters, each side blaming the other for the bloodshed. the u.s. government is not sure
4:53 pm
how to deal with the situation or even what to call it. is a coup? not a coup? jay carney today i donwould not it a coup. if he did, they'd have to cut off about $1.5 billion in u.s. aid. he said cutting off aid is not in best interest right now. coming up, we'll talk to our legal experts about where the defense could take their case tomorrow. stay with us. so we could be a better, safer energy company. i've been with bp for 24 years. i was part of the team that helped deliver on our commitments to the gulf - and i can tell you, safety is at the heart of everything we do. we've added cutting-edge safety equipment and technology, like a new deepwater well cap and a state-of-the-art monitoring center, where experts watch over all our drilling activity, twenty-four-seven.
4:54 pm
and we're sharing what we've learned, so we can all produce energy more safely. safety is a vital part of bp's commitment to america - and to the nearly 250,000 people who work with us here. we invest more in the u.s. than anywhere else in the world. over fifty-five billion dollars here in the last five years - making bp america's largest energy investor. our commitment has never been stronger. [ male announcer ] with everyone on the go this summer, now's the perfect time to get home security for protection while you're away. and right now you can get adt security installed starting at just $49, a savings of $250. but hurry. offer ends soon. don't wait. call right now or visit adt.com. this is a fire that didn't destroy a home. this is a break-in that didn't devastate a family. this is the reason why. adt.
4:55 pm
you can't predict when bad things will happen, but you can help protect yourself with the fast alarm response of adt, with 24/7 monitoring against burglary, fire, and high levels of carbon monoxide starting at just over $1 a day. this is the computer that didn't get stolen, keeping priceless photos and financial records safe. this is the reason why. take advantage of adt's summer savings. starting at $49 installed. hurry. offer ends july 8th. adt. always there.
4:56 pm
4:57 pm
welcome back to "the lead." we're here with christopher darden and diana tennis. diana, do you expect that george zimmerman will testify? >> i would expect he will not testify. honestly the defense has absolutely no good reason to do that. george zimmerman through his statements has told his story, his friend osterman has told his story, his ex-professor has told him how his story fits into his version of self-defense. i think that's an absolute no, that wasn't be happening. >> christopher, what are your thoughts after today's proceedings? >> if i'm a juror sit hearing watching, there just about everything the prosecution has asserted in this case has been addressed by the defense and
4:58 pm
refuted. if the prosecution knew the forensics were messed up, the federal examiner didn't do a good job, if they knew two out of three members could not identify the voice as trayvon's, if they knew the chief of police was excluded from the interviews and politicians had hijacked the investigation, you have to wonder if you're a juror sitting on this case, why was this prosecution brought in the first place? and the answer to that question is not a pretty answer. >> you think they're going to ultimately vote to acquit? >> looking at this today, as i said here today, yes. now, certainly the prosecution will have an opportunity to try to tie some of these loose ends up in summation, but summation is not evidence. it's not evidence. i mean, there are just huge, huge holes in the prosecution's case. >> diana, the jury keeps turning down breaks. reading the tea leaves i guess i
4:59 pm
mean they want to wrap this up. i can't blame them. they've had their 4th of july holiday ruined. do you think it means that they think they've heard enough of this, they know how they're going to vote? >> i mean, i've never seen that kind of rushing by a jury. i think that they certainly know what they think about the voice i.d. issue and knew that prior going into today. i bet their minds are getting more and more set. as christopher said, we have a rule of law, we have a very high burden in criminal cases for a reason, no matter what the color of any party and in the usa, you don't get convicted typically on evidence that is not better than this. so i think it going to be a not guilty verdict likely, unless they feel pressured to split the baby, maybe come back manslaughter. but i think the defense did a really good job today of probably inoculating themselves against a compromise

67 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on