Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom  CNN  July 15, 2013 2:00pm-4:00pm EDT

2:00 pm
corporation for national community service and amercorps and senior corps. it gave tens of millions of americans meaningful opportunities to serve. and today, thanks to those programs and others like them, and thanks to the passion of leaders like president bush and citizens who found the same passion over the years, volunteerism has gone from something some people do some of the time to something lots of people do as a regular part of their lives. since 1989 the number of americans who volunteer has grown by more than 25 million. service is up across age groups and across regions. it's now a graduation requirement in many high schools and colleges. it's imbedded in the culture of businesses, large and small. and speaking for my family, volunteering has brought joy and meaning to michelle and me and our daughters over the years. and i know that's the case for many of your families, too. this national tradition may seem perfectly ordinary to many
2:01 pm
americans. especially those who've grown up during this period. but, in fact, it reflects tremendous progress. and today we can say that our country is a better and a stronger force for good in the world because more and more people serve. and for that, we have to thank president bush and his better half, barbara, who is just as committed as her husband to service and has dedicated her life to it as well. [ applause ] the presidents who followed president bush have had the good sense to continue this work. not just because one of them called him dad. even after leaving office, president clinton and both
2:02 pm
president bushes have come together to help people affected by natural disasters here at home and around the world. a reminder that service is not a democratic or a republican value, but it is a core part of being an american. and at the white house today, i forward that legacy. i created the office of social invasi innovation. we expanded -- originally created by president george w. bush which works closely with religious and community organizations across the country to help americans in need. and today i want to announce that new task force. represents from cabinet agencies and other departments across the government to take a look at how we can better support national service. in particular on some of our most important national priorities. improving schools, recovering from disasters. this task force will be led by my team here at the white house along with wendy spencer who's
2:03 pm
here, ceo of corporation of international community service who previously led the volunteer commission in florida for governor jeb bush. so we've got a whole family thing working. in times of tight budgets and some very tough problems, we know that the greatest resource we have is the limitless energy and ingenuity of our citizens. when he harness that energy and create more opportunities for americans to serve, we pay tribute to the extraordinary sample set by president bush. to close on a personal note, mr. president, i'm one of millions of people who've been inspired by your passion and your commitment. you have helped so many americans discover that they, too, have something to contribute. that they, too, have the power to make a difference. you've described for us those 1,000 points of why all the people in organizations spread out across the country are like stars brightening the lives of those around them. but given -- i expect it's
2:04 pm
harder for you to see something that's clear to everybody else around you. that's how bright a light you shine. how your vision and example have imla imlum nated the path for others. how your love of service has kindled a similar love in the hearts of others. frankly just the fact that you're such a gentleman and such a good and kind person, i think, helps to reinforce that spirit of service. so on behalf of all of us, let me just say that we are surely a kinder and gentler nation because of you. and we can't thank you enough. [ applause ]
2:05 pm
>> so it is now my great pleasure to join president bush and all of you in presenting this extraordinary award to an extraordinary couple who've done so much for so many people. we are very grateful to them. floyd and kathy, will you please step up and receive your award. [ applause ] >> there you see the president of the united states making this thousand points of light award to this couple that's done amazing work. you saw the tribute to the former president, george h.w. bush, 89 years old. he's back in the white house there. they're going to take a little photo with the former president of the united states. his wife barbara is in the
2:06 pm
audience. we congratulate him. we congratulate all of those who volunteer to help make the country and the world a little bit better. we'll continue to watch this going on. there they are in the east room of the white house. and the "cnn newsroom" continues with brooke baldwin right now. it's 2013, but in america the issue of race is hitting a fevered pitch. mostly because of two words. not guilty. i'm brooke baldwin. the news is now. >> george zimmerman disappears. but for how long? and where? plus -- >> i think the prosecution of george zimmerman was disgraceful. one word to describe george zimmerman? >> the verdict doesn't stop the bickering between legal teams. and the hunt for answers about a young star's final night
2:07 pm
alive. good to see you on this monday afternoon. i'm brooke baldwin. two words here. not guilty. those are the words that ended a trial that absolutely captivated the country, the george st zimmerman murder case. bringing to the surface some pretty tough questions about justice and race. his acquittal sparking protests across the country, people taking their anger and their frustration there to the streets, chanting and in sanford, even flag burning. >> no justice, no peace. >> no justice, no peace. those are the chants you hear there in oakland, california. but on the whole, the protests across the country have been mostly peaceful. the worst of it happening in los
2:08 pm
angeles. police firing off bean bag rounds after some protesters pelted them with rocks and concrete. the loud cry for justice, demanding one thing. federal prosecution of george zimmerman over the death of trayvon martin. attorney general eric holder reacting to the news just moments ago. >> i want to assure you that the department will continue to act in a manner that is consistent with the facts and the law. we are committed to standing with the people of sanford. with the individuals and families affected by this incident. and with our state and local partners in order to alleviate tensions, to address community concerns, and to promote healing. >> no mention there that the justice department will pursue new charges. so what happens next for zimmerman really remains to be seen here. all we know right now is that as
2:09 pm
the judge said, he has no further business with the court. folks, he is a free man. his lawyer, mark o'mara, telling cnn's "new day" today that zimmerman was wrongfully vilified as a symbol of racial injustice. >> we have a lot of conversations to have. i've been an advocate for the fact that black youth in america are not treated well by the criminal justice system. and we need to have that conversation. my fear is that we polarize the conversation because we attach it to a self-defense verdict that they have nothing to do with. >> the jury's findings clearly still stinging the prosecution. want you to take a look at this snippet. this is from this interview on hln's "after dark" which airs tonight 10:00 eastern time. >> one word to describe george zimmerman.
2:10 pm
>> murderer. >> need to pull away from this just a moment. president george h.w. bush here being honored at the white house. let's dip in. >> first, of course, i thank president and mrs. obama for this wonderful hospitality. it's like coming home for barbara and me. with the rest of you just coming to this magnificent house, greeted with superb hospitality knows no bounds. so thank you very much. [ applause ] >> keep it short.
2:11 pm
>> as dad is being moved to his seat, he may not be parachuting anymore, but he's taken up a new hobby. and that is he's trying to be a style setter. i don't know if you noticed the socks there. "gq" man we're calling him instead of 41. dad, you have said that if one wants to pursue a life of meaning and adventure, the way to do so is to find dignity -- the dignity and goodness in every person. to help others in need and to become part of something bigger than ourselves. you and mom have lived an incredibly meaningful and adventurous lives. thank you for inspiring so many to become points of light. that's an applause line.
2:12 pm
[ applause ] >> on behalf -- on behalf of the entire bush family, a special thanks to you, mr. president and michelle, for inviting us to this most special place. and for your outstanding work to promote the service movement as a national priority. you understand and you spoke of the fact that service is one of the things that truly brings our nation together. it transcends politics and addresses problems that government alone cannot solve. we are so blessed in america to have two occupants that are true points of light in your own ways, and we thank you for your leadership in this area. [ applause ] today we are celebrating the 5,000 daily points of light who
2:13 pm
represent the 65 million americans who engage themselves in the lives of others every year. these points of light are what my dad calls the soul of america. years ago, dad asked us to imagine what would happen if all the points of light award winners decided to leave their hometowns and to move together into one place in america. imagine if estella pifer who taught 50 years and used her retirement funds to start estelle brilliant bus to teach all the children in the town computer schools. and kathy and floyd helped feed and nurture the young people. and they mobilized the forces to intervene with troubled youth. and teach for america arrived. and corporations, faith, youth and senior groups, organized volunteers to work with charities, to tutor, to clean, to feed, to mentor, to serve as
2:14 pm
points of light. regardless of its problems, a community like this, one where every person, every group, every institution gave even a small part of their time and service to others, would be truly, utterly, transformed. that is our mission. to turn every place in america into a community of light. to deepen the culture of service that drives change. that is the power of the daily point of light program. dad, before you left the white house, you spoke to all of the award winners. and you said, if i could leave but one legacy to this country, you brought up the "l" word which he never does in private. it would not be in tret aties signed or wars won. it would be a return to the moral compass that must guide america through the next century. i'm talking about a respect for the goodness that makes this
2:15 pm
country great. a rekindling of that light lit from within that reveal america as it truly is. a country of millions of points of light. so thanks to all of you in this room. i would call you out by name but mom admonished me in church yesterday and dad just told me keep it short, so i won't. but thanks to all of you in this room who are points of light and everyone across the country. those that we recognized with the daily point of light award and the millions more who have not found recognition, but who are solving the biggest challenges facing our nation. to all of you, we say thank you. [ applause ] >> you're cutting into my time. mom's looking at me. stop the applause. now it is my pleasure as chair of the points of light, and i'm
2:16 pm
truly honored to serve with such an outstanding, the ceo of points of light, a true leader of the national service movement, michelle nun. >> thank you, neil, for your boundless optimism and your incredibly gracious spirit of leadership. i think we share a number of things in common. one of them is that we have no nonsense mothers. and my mother also -- her only guidance was, keep it short, as well. so thank you, president and mrs. bush for your lives of service. >> so the optimism and the sense of celebration there in what looks to be a pretty capacity room, the east room there at the white house, is pervasive as is clearly the sense of humor in the bush family. you've been watching neil bush who is the chair of the
2:17 pm
volunteer organization helping millions, as he mentioned, millions of people, points of light, which was first established by his father, george h.w. bush back in 1989. really this is an opportunity in the white house. you saw them. they're now friends. president obama and his predecessor celebrating a sense of volunteerism, celebrating the volunteers of points of light. that's what's happening in the east room of the white house. we just had to go back. we had to show you and hear from the former president. have to take a quick break here this afternoon. when we come back, we're going to bring you back to those two words. not guilty. in the george zimmerman murder trial out of sanford, florida. i have two attorneys sitting next to me here in pseudoostudi. we'll look at the legal ramifications of this case. was he initially overcharged? what about some of the remarks in the press conferences once the verdict was read. both the defense and prosecution, the words, the nuance, the tone. we'll be right back. ♪ norfolk southern what's your function? ♪
2:18 pm
♪ hooking up the country helping business run ♪ ♪ build! we're investing big to keep our country in the lead. ♪ load! we keep moving to deliver what you need. and that means growth, lots of cargo going all around the globe. cars and parts, fuel and steel, peas and rice, hey that's nice! ♪ norfolk southern what's your function? ♪ ♪ helping this big country move ahead as one ♪ ♪ norfolk southern how's that function? ♪
2:19 pm
diarrhea, gas, bloating? yes! one phillips' colon health probiotic cap each day helps defend against these digestive issues with three strains of good bacteria. live the regular life. phillips'.
2:20 pm
the not guilty verdict ended the trial with plenty of questions legally speaking remains. darren kavinoky and tanya miller join me in studio seven. my, what a weekend makes in this whole thing. i want to talk about the attorney general's remarks out
2:21 pm
of florida in just a litittle b. first, the comments we have heard from prosecutors and the defense. s guys, tell me in my ear if we have the sound since we went to the white house. to we have the sound from angela corey and de la rionda? have you heard the sound from either of them? >> i have. >> what did you make of that? for folks who don't know what i'm talking about, angela corey the person who came in initially and said this should be a murder two case called george zimmerman a murderer. de la rionda calls him lucky. >> yes. she has to believe that. think about it. she charged him with second-degree murder. she's the prosecutor in this case. she is the one that evaluated this evidence and fully believed, as she should have before she charged him, that he was a murderer. and i think -- >> despite what the jury decided. >> despite what the jury decided. up fortunately, that's our system. but as the prosecutor she has to go with the highest charge that she believes she can prove. and she can't just because she lost the case now say that she didn't believe that.
2:22 pm
she believed it then. she believed it now. i think millions of people believe that as well. >> jump in. >> look, the prosecutor has a duty to file charges that they believe they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt at the time that they file the charges. >> even when the jury says -- >> absolutely. but my wondering is, is where was the evidence? there were strong suspicions. there were notions. there were theories. and i think what the jury verdict spoke to was a fundamental lack of evidence. and if i may, brooke, the whole thing for me is one of the biggest takeaways in all this as we're doing the monday morning quarterbacks on this case. thank god there were cameras in that courtroom. >> why? >> if we just judged this case based on the headlines that a 17-year-old boy was killed and the killer walks free, we'd have a very different view of the case than by watching it day in and day out. seeing how the witnesses actually performed on the stand.
2:23 pm
we have -- we have now a much deeper understanding and are able to have a much different conversation as a nation, as a result. >> you may think one thing. because of the the cameras in the court that sort of notion deteriorated. you disagree, though. >> i agree with the premise. thank god there were cameras in this courtroom. >> for a much different reason. >> for a different reason. the fact there were cameras in this court allowed the world to really see this evidence. and the world -- many people. no everybody. came to a starkly different conclusion than this jury. >> let me just jump to this. listen, the major defense attorney here, mark o'mara, here's the one that delivered the closing arguments a couple days ago. he talked to chris cuomo on "new day" today. i have to play this sound. he basically told chris this was about self-defense. this was not about race. so says o'mara. roll it. >> and we have a lot of conversations to have. i've been an advocate for the
2:24 pm
fact that black youth in america are not treated well by the criminal justice system. and we need to have that conversation. my fear is that we polarize the conversation because we attack it to a self-defense verdict that they have nothing to do with. >> well, this case became about race in the court of public opinion. but in a court of law, personally, i always viewed zimmerman as an equal opportunity budinsky. i could perhaps choose stronger words. but i won't. >> thank you. >> and from a legal standpoint, the judge also rejected notions that this was about race. let's remember, the prosecution -- >> they couldn't say racial profiling. it was profiling. >> they had to go criminal profiling. but obviously in the court of public opinion, in america, in the world, it became about race. and clearly we have unaddressed issues that we need to have a frank conversation about. >> i don't think you can blame the media for why people view this case as a race case. i think that you have to look at the evidence in this case. george zimmerman profiled trayvon martin because he was
2:25 pm
black. >> there is nuance in this. when you listen on the 911 call, he only said he was black in response to the dispatcher asking. it's a nuance. >> yeah. but the notion is why is it that a young black male wearing a hoodie is suspicious enough for you to follow him with a gun, confront him and shoot him dead when he was doing nothing but walking home? >> he had the gun regardless of who's being followed. these were some of the issues obviously that were litigated in the case. >> we're going to have an entire half hour at 3:00 eastern time on precisely sort of some of the points you guys are making. since you're my legal minds, i want to play some more sound. this is from the -- a lot of people are per flexed, if i may, by the tone of the defense team during the news conference right after the verdict was read. let's all be the judge. roll this. >> we needed facts. unlike what ms. corey said, they brought the facts, they didn't. anybody that watched this trial knew the defense put on the
2:26 pm
case. we proved george zimmerman was not guilty. >> there was much more to that as well. but i tell you, we went round and round in our editorial meeting talking specifically just about the tone. did you sense anything? did he take it a little too -- >> i think some people viewed it as a little too jovial. a little too back flappy. a little too happy. while in their words they conceded that there were no winners in this case, you definitely got the sense from them that they felt like they were the winners and they were gloating a little bit. i think some people got that impression whether they intended that or not. >> also, look, there's a reason why jury trials are the ultimate in reality television. there is no pressure like going through the trial and then being in court when the clerk reads those words. you know, we the jury in the above entitled action. >> find you not guilty. >> or whatever it is. the idea that there would be a release of pressure and that might show up like gloating when it's actually relief and from the defense perspective, they felt like they were fighting the
2:27 pm
righteous battle, that they had justice on their side, that it was the prosecution's witnesses that -- and we all saw this. the prosecution witnesses became de facto defense witnesses. from their perspective what that speaks to is that they believe they're representing an innocent man wrongfully accused. i don't know that i have too much to blame for them in that regard. >> we have to leave it there. it's amazing. i've been on vacation the last week. >> welcome back. >> let me tell you, everywhere i went someone had something to say about this trial. it has been fascinating every which way. darren and tanya, thank you both very, very much. coming up here, we will continue this conversation about the george zimmerman trial. but next we will focus on race. what message does this verdict send to african-american families in this country? do not miss that discussion, back in just a minute. ♪ norfolk southern what's your function? ♪ ♪ hooking up the country helping business run ♪ ♪ trains! they haul everything, safely and on time. ♪ tracks! they connect the factories built along the lines. and that means jobs, lots of people,
2:28 pm
making lots and lots of things. let's get your business rolling now, everybody sing. ♪ norfolk southern what's your function? ♪ ♪ helping this big country move ahead as one ♪ ♪ norfolk southern how's that function? ♪ the physical damage was pretty bad. the emotional toll was even worse. our daughter had nightmares. what that robber really took from us was our peace of mind. with adt, we got it back. [ male announcer ] every 14.6 seconds, a burglary takes place in the united states. so rely on the fast alarm response of adt. a single adt system can help protect you from burglary, fire, and high levels of carbon monoxide. when an alarm is received, adt calls the local authorities for help. and you can get this monitored protection, plus great local service, starting for just over $1 a day. and only adt offers a theft protection guarantee.
2:29 pm
take it from me. the time to think about a security system isn't after something bad happens -- it's before. [ male announcer ] call now and get adt installed for just $99. you could save a lot more than money. hurry, and take advantage of these savings. adt. always there.
2:30 pm
when the george zimmerman verdict came late saturday night, an entire courtroom of people held their collective breath. whoa. we the jury find george zimmerman not guilty. a very calm zimmerman shook the
2:31 pm
hands of his attorneys and that was it. it was over. but outside the courthouse, the reaction was just beginning. social media absolutely lit up. protests erupted nationwide as we mentioned. for the most part peaceful. this was one of more than 1,000 fatal shootings in the state of florida in 2012. it happened last february. so what made this a national news story instead of a local tragedy? many people argue it's merely the latest example of deep seeded racism in the justice system. joining me now for this discussion, former president of morehouse college, dr. robert franklin. also cnn.com columnist ruben. and author of "dear white america" tim weis. i want to welcome all of you. and dr. franklin sitting in here with me in studio. nice to see you again, sir. >> thank you. >> i want to begin with you because you have guided many
2:32 pm
morehouse men in your years. i know because of this and in talking to colleagues of mine, african-american colleagues who have sons and nephews, this case has sort of reignited talks, call it the talk. >> yes. >> right? >> yes. >> with very young, young men about whether it's how fast you should be walking in public, what you should be wearing. i don't know if it's morehouse specific. about the five wells. what is that? >> at more yn house and at all of america's black colleges our schools, churches and community organizations have promoted what i've conceptualized as the five wells. our young people should be well read, well spoken, well traveled, well-dressed and well balanced. it is very important that they comport themselves in a way that doesn't threaten. but it is a pity that they have to do that. that they can't be taken for who they are and seen as average, ordinary kids. but we do emphasize the
2:33 pm
importance of presenting themselves as young leaders. as cultivated and dignified and responsible. that certainly has been core to the morehouse tradition. >> i have to say, obviously i can't relate to that. but i've talked to a lot of people who obviously can. and my question to sort of push you gently then would be, would that not imply that if a young black man is walking along the street and they see a white man, that that is inherently the stereotyping, perhaps, the white man to be profiling the black man? is that fair? >> it's not fair. and it's a tragedy when we profile one way or the other. i think we all have to grow beyond seeing stereotypes, profiles, and caricatures and really back to dr. king's important moral rhetoric, examine the character, look at the person, and respect every person as a child of god. >> tim weis, i want to hear your voice. because i know you say, you know, on the flip side, we have to take -- i'm quoting you. take an honest look at how rust
2:34 pm
about all of us have racialized perceptions of people of color. what do you mean by that? >> you know, it would be easy to make this case and this issue of race all about george zimmerman. but what the research tells us, sadly, is that the vast majority of us in this country have been socialized to have negative perceptions, stereotypical perceptions of people of color, especially black folks, especially black men. we've got to deal with that. there was a study a few years back, for instance, which took white subjects. hooked us up to brain scan imaging machines and then flashed images on a computer screen so quickly, subliminally, like 30 millisecond, too fast for the conscious mind to react. they were gauging the actual brain reaction to the image. most of the images were neutral. like a tree. a blade of grass. a puppy dog. when they showed a black male face for just 30 milliseconds that part of the brain that lights up and responds to fear, anxiety, stress, lit up like a christmas tree. what does that tell us? it tells us that even people who
2:35 pm
are not overtly racist have learned these subconscious biases. unless we deal with that -- >> how do we deal with it? >> we have to be honest about it. part of the problem of racism in this country is a problem of denial. when you're in denial that a problem exists, you can't solve it. the good news is that when we're open and honest about our racialized fears and suspicions, we actually do a pretty good job of keeping them in check. it's when we deny them that we fall prey to them. >> i think it's also important for white americans to look at young black men and other black kids as if they're their own kids. and to humanize them in that way. because that empathy and compassion is the key to authentic citizenship. >> i think also, ruben, this is to you. because i know you're writing a column for cnn.com. you're saying you agree with the president who is basically saying while this is a tragedy, that's the word he used, listen, the jury has spoken. let's have this peace. i want to play a quick sound
2:36 pm
bite. this is from robert zimmerman. he was speaking with us here at cnn talking specifically about had his brother's last name been, for lack of a more eloquent phrase, more hispanic, this could have had a much different story line. roll the sound. >> translator: i think that our last name, zimmerman, is a european last name. people have this association with being white. when we call a person with the last name zimmerman white, it's an easy accusation to make. because the visualization that people have is a white person. if he had the last name lopez, hernandez, sanchez, calling someone like that white, even though that there are people like that who are white, it would not have the same effect and the same impact at the beginning. >> ruben, do you agree? >> yes. it's a very important point he's making. nobody else has mentioned this in terms of the prejudice around the name zimmerman. let's think about how this began. back at the begin ing.
2:37 pm
before we had any facts. before zimmerman was charged at all. there was this accusation he was a racist. his father to try to blunt that, did what most fathers would do. tried to defend his son and said, no, my son can't be racist, he's hispanic. he identifies himself as hispanic. the problem with that is hispanics can also be racist. the problem is african-americans can be racist against hispanics. that isn't an automatic disqualifier. that isn't to impromune him. the media outlets created this term, a white hispanic. all of a sudden we're having that conversation. the media has been part of the problem because they haven't known what to do with george zimmerman. they'd like to shove it into a box of white and black. >> also the public, when we put up this mug shot of george zimmerman, a lot of people jumped to the conclusion just based upon his appearance, he's white. >> what's interesting about what ruben's saying, the research on this subconscious bias i was
2:38 pm
talking about, very frighteningly shows that not only white folks have internalized anti-black biased, but large numbers of latinos and asian-americans, here's an interesting one, about 40% of african-americans have internalized bias against themselves as black folks. that's how deep this runs. >> tim's only telling half the story. the other part of the story is that african-americans likewise have a negative perception of hispanics. we hear this all the time. certainly we write about the immigration issue. >> oh, sure. >> lectures about racial profiling, if the issue is immigration, we can write the book on that. we understand what it's like to be profiled and accused of not being of this country. >> gentlemen, forgive me for jurping in. i have to jump in and say i wish we had more time. we are going to have plenty of time next hour to talk about all this. for now i just have to say thank you, robert franklin, ruben navarette and tim wise. coming up next, we're going to switch gears and talk about some other news. asiana light 214 crash landed in
2:39 pm
san francisco just a little over a week ago. three people have died as a result of that crash. now the airline is planning to file a lawsuit over offensive language. you heard about this? we're going to explain after this break. this is kevin. to prove to you that aleve is the better choice for him, he's agreed to give it up. that's today? [ male announcer ] we'll be with him all day as he goes back to taking tylenol. i was okay, but after lunch my knee started to hurt again. and now i've got to take more pills. ♪ yup. another pill stop. can i get my aleve back yet? ♪ for my pain, i want my aleve. ♪ [ male announcer ] look for the easy-open red arthritis cap. ♪ i tthan probablycare moreanyone else.and we've had this farm for 30 years. we raise black and red angus cattle. we also produce natural gas. that's how we make our living and that's how we can pass the land and water back to future generations. people should make up their own mind
2:40 pm
what's best for them. all i can say is it has worked well for us.
2:41 pm
2:42 pm
asiana airlines is planning to sue a california television station that aired a report claiming to have the names of the pilots of the jet that crashed a little over a week ago. so the airline calls the report te meaning due to the bogus names of these pilots. i'm not going to say them here word for word. phonetically they spell out phrases like something wrong and we too low. the station says it confirmed the names through the national transportation safety board. the ntsb says it actually was a summer intern who confirmed the names and who, quote with acted outside the scope of his authority.
2:43 pm
kyung lah joins me live. this intern, gone. >> definitely gone. the ntsb confirms this summer intern who was a volunteer student is no longer with the ntsb. as far as this lawsuit, what i can tell you is that an asiana spokesman is confirming to me this morning they are still in the midst of preparing it to file it against ktvu, a station in san francisco, who is airline says was perpetuating racist and offensive remarks against asians in its broadcast last week. i want to give you the statement that asiana is releasing to reason. what asiana is saying is, quote, after a legal review, the company decided to file a lawsuit against the network because it was their report that resulted in damaging the company's image. what's happening here is that asiana says that it is having a reaction as an emerging company. this is a company that's based
2:44 pm
in korea. it has global aspirations. these comments by ktvu. i'll actually say it. one of the names they said is sounds like something wrong. it's sum ting wong. it's a juvenile joke. it got out there. they are deeply offended. they say it's hurting their company's reputation. they plan on filing a lawsuit. a lot of legal experts say it probably won't hold water in court. the other thing that's happening, an airline is having a visceral reaction to something a lot of asians have heard over the years. we have all heard it on the playground, the school bus. they're taking it to the courtroom. coming up next, what killed a young star from "glee"? so young. an autopsy set for today as investigators piece together his final night. my name is mike and i quit smoking.
2:45 pm
chantix... it's a non-nicotine pill. i didn't want nicotine to give up nicotine. [ male announcer ] along with support, chantix (varenicline) is proven to help people quit smoking. [ mike ] when i was taking the chantix, it reduced the urge to smoke. [ male announcer ] some people had changes in behavior, thinking or mood, hostility, agitation, depressed mood and suicidal thoughts or actions while taking or after stopping chantix. if you notice any of these, stop taking chantix and call your doctor right away. tell your doctor about any history of depression or other mental health problems, which could get worse while taking chantix. don't take chantix if you've had a serious allergic or skin reaction to it. if you develop these, stop taking chantix and see your doctor right away
2:46 pm
as some can be life-threatening. tell your doctor if you have a history of heart or blood vessel problems, or if you develop new or worse symptoms. get medical help right away if you have symptoms of a heart attack or stroke. use caution when driving or operating machinery. common side effects include nausea, trouble sleeping and unusual dreams. it feels wonderful. i don't smoke. i don't smoke. [ male announcer ] ask your doctor if chantix is right for you.
2:47 pm
an autopsy is scheduled today on the body of corey monteith. tv star. you might have known him from "glee." he played this high school jock who lands a spot in the glee club. cory monteith found dead saturday morning in a vancouver hotel. no signs of foul play. 31 years old. cory monteith has finished his second trip to rehab just back in april. here he is in "glee." ♪
2:48 pm
>> cory monteith had actually been dating one of his co-stars. here she is. lea michele. her representatives say she is devastated. monteith's abuse of alcohol and drugs apparently dated back to his early teens. joining me now to talk about this is cnn's torre dunnen. what do you know about his past, his drug use? >> well, brooke, so far canadian authorities have only said that they don't suspect foul play. at this point investigators have not linked his death to substance abuse. but in previous interviews this 31-year-old actor would describe himself as an out of control teen who abused drugs and alcohol. that he would often skip school to drink and smoke pot when he was just 13 years old. so bottom line, his teen years were a far cry from the character that he often portrayed on screen. but he was really relatively open about his struggle.
2:49 pm
it was just this past spring that he decided to check himself into rehab. but now the focus is really going to be moving to this investigation. it's unclear why the "glee" star was in vancouver. police say he is canadian born and he often vipts the area. we were told he was out with friends the night before he died. surveillance video at that hotel in vancouver showed him returning alone in the early morning hours. authorities actually believe that he was by himself when he died. so, brooke, with this autopsy coming out today, we're definitely hoping to learn more information. but really bottom line, this is just a tragic story for the show, for him, and also for all of the fans. >> incredibly tragic. so young. tory dunnan, thank you so much. back after this. i'm the next american success story. working for a company where over seventy-five percent of store management started as hourly associates. there's opportunity here. i can use walmart's education benefits to get a degree, maybe work in it,
2:50 pm
or be an engineer, helping walmart conserve energy. even today, when our store does well, i earn quarterly bonuses. when people look at me, i hope they see someone working their way up. vo: opportunity, that's the real walmart.
2:51 pm
2:52 pm
the temporary leader of egypt installed by egypt's military hosted a high level guest from washington today. the state department's william burns. blue tie right there. big smile. for ali monsieur, former judge serving as egypt's interim president. burns called for an end to political violence. muslim militants attacked a bus on egypt's sinai peninsula killing three people. coming up, letter surfaces. dear george zimmerman, now you know what it feel like to be a black man in america. a provocative discussion on race around the case that has america talking. stay right here. we know it's your most important
2:53 pm
videoconference of the day. hi! hi, buddy! that's why the free wifi and hot breakfast are something to smile about. book a great getaway now and feel the hamptonality does your dog food have? 18 percent? 20? new purina one true instinct has 30. active dogs crave nutrient-dense food. so we made purina one true instinct. learn more at purinaone.com
2:54 pm
2:55 pm
oscar winner jeff bridges is using his talent off screen to try to help the millions of people across the country who don't have enough to eat. watch this "impact your world." >> hi. i'm jeff bridges. and we can make an impact on ending childhood hunger here in america. according to the usda, we currently have over 60 million children who are struggling with hunger. one in five of our kids. >> any of you kids see "surf's up"? i'm big z! >> we think one of the most
2:56 pm
important things we can do to end childhood hunger is to have universal breakfast in schools. another thing that is very important is that there are summer meal programs that are available to kids. no kid hungry is all about making people aware of the programs that are in the state. ♪ sometimes in our lives >> it affects me in a personal way thinking about what that would feel like if i wasn't able to provide for my -- my kids. but also even on a patriotic way, we can't compete with the rest of the world if our kids aren't in good shape. join the movement. impact your world. impact your world. go to cnn.com/impact. -- captions by vitac -- www.vitac.com
2:57 pm
i've got a nice long life ahead. big plans. so when i found out medicare doesn't pay all my medical expenses, i got a medicare supplement insurance plan. [ male announcer ] if you're eligible for medicare, you may know it only covers about 80% of your part b medical expenses. the rest is up to you. call and find out about an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan, insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company. like all standardized medicare supplement plans, it could save you thousands in out-of-pocket costs.
2:58 pm
call now to request your free decision guide. i've been with my doctor for 12 years. now i know i'll be able to stick with him. you'll be able to visit any doctor or hospital that accepts medicare patients. plus, there are no networks, and you never need a referral. see why millions of people have already enrolled in the only medicare supplement insurance plans endorsed by aarp. don't wait. call now. saving time by booking an appointment online, even smarter. online scheduling. available now at meineke.com.
2:59 pm
3:00 pm
fever pitch. mostly because of two words. "not guilty." i'm brooke baldwin. the news is now. when doesn't anything play into the race narrative? p>> people feeling like th treattreate treated differentl country. >> whap >> what >> what is blap black man can walk in? p >> i'll speak with every frfrom everp from every fre discussion about what a legal case says about our society. meantime, george zimmerman disappears. but for how long? and where? plus, his legal trouble may be far from over. >> i think the prosecution of george zimmerman was
3:01 pm
disgraceful. >> one word to describe george zimmerman. >> murderer. >> they're free to speak after a contentious battle. but both legal teams aren't holding back. and the hunt for answers about a young star's final nights alive. hour two here on cnn. good to be with you today. i'm brooke baldwin. today, george zimmerman is a free man. found not guilty of the murder of 17-year-old trayvon martin. but zimmerman's battle may not be over here. thousands of people are signing this petition on the white house website calling for a civil rights prosecution of george zimmerman by the u.s. department of justice. but we heard from attorney general eric holder not too long ago, and he really made no mention of new charges. >> we must not, as we have too often in the past, let this
3:02 pm
opportunity pass. i hope that we will approach this necessarily difficult dialogue with the same dignity that those who have lost the most, trayvon's parents, that they have demonstrated throughout the last year. and especially over the past few days. they suffered a pain that no parent should have to endure. and one that i as a father cannot begin to conceive. >> i want to show you these pictures as well. because in the wake of that verdict that came down late saturday night, look at this. people across the country taking out their anger and frustration on the streets. some protesters there, look at that, in sanford, burning the u.s. flag. the worst of the protests, though, they're actually across the country on the west coast in los angeles. police there firing up beanbag rounds after some protesters pelted them with rocks and
3:03 pm
concrete. it's clear this loud cry for justice demanding one thing, federal prosecution of george zimmerman over the death of trayvon martin. reverend al sharpton says the verdict was, quote, a slap in the face putting up this on his instagram account. calling for individual ivigils 100 cities across the country. shann shannon, we showed the pictures of the flag burning yesterday. what's it like there in sanford right now? >> reporter: yeah. i mean, you want to talk about protests. let's talk about prayers here in sanford, florida. you got to figure, brooke, it's been about 17 months that this community has been reeling from the impact of the tragedy and the trial, obviously. well, today the community tried to come together and say, it's time to move forward. across sanford and across seminole county, frankly, different churches, church leaders and churchgoers, got together, brooke, and just came
3:04 pm
together and tried to say, you know what? we accept the verdict as it is. let's pray together and heal as a community, as a nation, and try to move forward. here outside the church where i am at the new life word church here in sanford, elected officials, the mayor of sanford, the police chief was here as well, as well as members of the community. that was the basic message that they preached today. >> prayer. prayer of a protest. shannon travis, thank you so much. i know we've seen, we've showed you the public reactions. we have heard from the attorney general now today. let's get some analysis. i want to bring in ryan smith of hln "after dark." good to see you, sir. >> good to see you. >> what about in terms of the future potential legal ramifications that george zimmerman could still face? i want you to first explain for people who don't understand. we've already seen this work through the court of law there in sanford. when we talk about civil rights violations, this is what the naacp is calling on from the department of justice. what would that even mean? >> the claim is that george zimmerman violated trayvon
3:05 pm
martin's civil rights. essentially that he racially profiled trayvon martin and, therefore, has to face prosecution. because he shot, killed him. >> federal prosecution. >> yes. based on his race. the question is where does that go? the federal government, the president of justice originally had an investigation going into this mat r. they seemed to have more or less suspended it when the case took place in state court and they let that take its course. the question is where does it go from now? and then how do you prove that? especially in light of this verdict. also what kind of evidence do you try to bring in for that? there was talk about george zimmerman saying trayvon martin looked suspicious. describing his clothing. to you try to bring that in and other things from his background to try to prove there was racial profiling? >> we heard from eric holder, he's, he's concerned. even the president said yes, this is a tragedy. folks calling for peace. the jury has spoken. are you saying he at no time say anything specifically addressing the charges because he didn't want to show his hand or because it's not likely. >> i think it's a combination of
3:06 pm
both. i think it is a showing your hand thing. i think they've got to get more information to be able to bring that. you can't just bring a case and see what happens, nothing happens and you have a problem. i think it's a little bit of that. i think it's also a little bit of i don't know where we're going to go right now with this. again, they started it. they stopped it. now you have his verdict. where does it go from here? >> let me throw you another possibility. there are a lot of people that said this kid -- i shouldn't say kid. george zimmerman should be facing something. people are enraged. what else can be done. >> what mark o'mara is saying here is that under florida law, this is i believe what he's saying. under florida law if, in fact, you have done what the court, i guess the jury has claimed george zimmerman did. this idea that he felt threatened, he killed trayvon martin in self-defense, and he did so justifiably. so the ruling -- you know, he's found not guilty of the murder
3:07 pm
of trayvon martin. sshl l essentially it was justifiable killing. if that is the case he is immune under florida law from criminal and civil prosecution. it's an immunity thing that works similar to the way stand your ground can. does that mean they can't file a civil suit? not necessarily. they can file it. they can try it. they can push it. mark o'mara and george zimmerman would go in front of a judge and say, look, here's the clause that addresses this. it was a justifiable killing. therefore he should be immune. maybe that harri ghearing fwoei front of that judge. >> just because i'm asking you doesn't mean the family is even contemplating this. >> don't know that yet. >> ryan smith, thank you very much. appreciate it. make sure you tune in tonight on hln. vinnie politan talks with the prosecution team from the zimmerman trial. do not miss this. you'll hear their reaction to the verdict in a special interview on hln "after dark" tonight 10:00 p.m. eastern. coming up, there has been a letter. probably several.
3:08 pm
we're going to show you one in particular. a letter written to george zimmerman that has surfaced telling him, well, now you know what it's like to be a black man in america. my panel will discuss that, plus this. why did you run out the door? >> there was no other way to get out the door. >> what if he would have gone around to go out the door? your life would have been easier today if you did that. >> yeah. but the law states i don't have to. >> this woman is facing 20 years behind bars for firing shots in the air. the woman who prosecuted her case, angela corey. you're going to hear about this case and the sentence. what that says about the zimmerman outcome. how this is potentially tied. stay right there.
3:09 pm
we know it's your videoconference of the day. hi! hi, buddy! that's why the free wifi and hot breakfast are something to smile about. book a great getaway now and feel the hamptonality
3:10 pm
3:11 pm
hd in the year, year and a half since the shooting death of trayvon martin there has been a lot of talk about florida's stand your ground law. where he, it makes it legal to shoot someone under certain is circumstances. but, no, it is not a license to kill or even fire a warning shot. cnn's gary tuchman looks at the stand your ground case here that was pursued by the same state attorney who prosecuted george zimmerman. >> reporter: she walks down the
3:12 pm
jail hallway in handcuffs. marissa alexandra is facing 20 years behind bars.ing aggravate with a deadly weapon. she was defending herself, standing her ground on a husband who had been arrested before on charges of abusing her. he was arrested for doing what to you? >> he -- he choked me. he pushed me forcefully into the tub. he pushed me so hard into the closet that i hit my head against the wall and i kind of passed out for a second. >> reporter: her husband received probation after that incident. months later, alexander says she was in the bathroom at their home here in jacksonville, florida, when her husband started pounding on the door. she said he was in a jealous rage over text messages on her cell phone. >> he managed to get the door open. that's when he strangled me. he put his hands around my neck. >> reporter: zand dalexander go from her husband and made a fateful decision. she could have run out the front door and escaped.
3:13 pm
instead she ran out to the garage. she says she didn't have her car keys and the garage door was stuck. instead she grabbed her gun she kept in this garage. what did you think you were going to do with it? >> i thought i was going to have to protect myself. >> reporter: were you thinking you might have to shoot him? >> yeah, i did. if it came to that. he saw my weapon at my side. when he saw it, he was even more upset. that's when he threatened to kill me. >> reporter: how is he going to kill you if you're the one with the gun s? >> i agree. i thought it was crazy, too. >> reporter: why didn't you run out the door. >> there was no other way to get out the door. >> reporter: what if you would have run around him to go out the door. your life would have been easier if you would have done that. >> the law states i don't have to. >> reporter: the law is the controversial stand your ground law. instead of running she did what she thought she was allowed by law. she stood her ground and fired the gun into the wall. nobody was hurt. it was enough to scare her husband, and he left the house with his two young children from
3:14 pm
a previous relationship. alexander was safe from her husband, but not from the law. she was arrested. her stand your ground defense rejected. and found guilty by a jury. marissa alexander's husband, rhee koe gray, agreed to do an on come ko camera interview wit counter his wife's allegations. later he sent us an e-mail saying he would do an interview if he got paid. which cnn does not do. but he has already said quite a bit. during a deposition with a prosecutor from the office of state attorney angela corey and a defense attorney for his wife, rico gray acknowledged hitting his wife in the past. and said this about the shooting incident. quote, if my kids weren't there, i knew i probably would have tried to take the gun from her. i probably would have put my hand on her. marissa alexander's attorney then asked the husband what he meant about putting his hand on her. rico gray responded, probably hit her. i got five baby mamas. and i put my hands on every last one of them except for one.
3:15 pm
>> i believe when he threatened to kill me that's what he was going to do. that's exactly what he intended to do. and had i not discharged my weapon at that point, i would not be here. >> reporter: but later at a court hearing to determine whether marissa alexander should get immunity based on the stand your ground law, rico gray changed his story. saying he'd lied repeatedly in the deposition to protect his wife. claiming he did not threaten to kill her. testifying, quote, i begged and pleaded for my life when she had the gun. the jury deliberated for 12 minutes before convicting her. the jacksonville naacp wrote a letter to the trial judge saying marissa alexander may not have received justice because of her gender, race or economic status. some african-american news websites are saying much the same thing. that if marissa had been white, her stand your ground defense would have been accepted and she wouldn't be facing 20 years in prison. but alexander will not say if she agrees with that possibility. >> i'm going to be honest with you. i'm uncomfortable answering that. >> reporter: she had a baby girl
3:16 pm
with rico gray almost two years ago. she only sees her child in photographs. that's because rico gray has custody. he's considered the victim. his wife the criminal. >> this isn't my life i'm fighting for. this is my life and it's my life and it's not entertainment. it is my life. >> reporter: the 20-year sentence is a mandatory 20 years. meaning no chance of parole. >> gary tuchman now joins me. wow. we underscore we're watching the piece, 12 minute jury deliberation. she's sentenced to 20 years. >> the same prosecutor in this case as the zimmerman case. >> let's talk about that. people could look at this. on one hand you see marissa alexander. then you look at george zimmerman. here she fired these shots in the air. she's locked up for 20 years. here's a man who shoots and kills a young man. he's acquitted over this past weekend. this is the same judicial system, as you point out. angela corey here. how does that happen?
3:17 pm
>> what a lot of fine legal minds are saying throughout florida and the country, angela corey has a tendency to overcharge. didn't work out well for her in the zimmerman case. tid work out well in the marissa alexander case. there's a third case. >> what's that? >> this is where she implicitly acknowledges she does overcharge. a 12-year-old boy named christian fernandez in florida accused of killing his younger brother. defense attorneys say it was an accident. angela corey's office say it was violent. they charged him as an adult. 12-year-old in an adult jail. solitary confinement. ultimately angela corey said i never wanted him life in prison. he's serving in a juvenile facility till the age of 19. she said, her office, we didn't want him to get life in prison, even though that's what he was charged with. certainly other attorneys are saying that was an overcharge and she has a tendency to do that. >> incredible. thank you very much. coming up here, what killed this young 31-year-old star, so
3:18 pm
talented, from "glee"? an autopsy set for today as investigators piece together his final night. "i'm part of an american success story," "that starts with one of the world's most advanced distribution systems," "and one of the most efficient trucking networks," "with safe, experienced drivers." "we work directly with manufacturers," "eliminating costly markups," "and buy directly from local farmers in every region of the country." "when you see our low prices, remember the wheels turning behind the scenes, delivering for millions of americans, everyday. "dedication: that's the real walmart"
3:19 pm
3:20 pm
3:21 pm
now to some of the biggest stories in a flash. rapid fire. roll it. first up here in egypt, the temporary leader of egypt installed by egypt's military hosted the state department's william burns today. as burns called for an end to political violence. muslim militants attacked a bus on egypt's sinai peninsula killing three people. meantime arrest warrants have been issued for at least seven muslim brotherhood leaders accused of inciting violence according to egypt's public prosecutor's office. an autopsy is scheduled today on the body of cory monteith. cory monteith, tv star, may have seen him in "glee." played a huge role. played a high school jock who lands a spot in the glee club. monteith found dead saturday morning in a vancouver hotel. no signs of foul play. 31 years young. cory monteith had finished a second trip to rehab just this past april. in canada, two more bodies
3:22 pm
have been found at the site of a devastating train derailment and fire. the death toll has climbed to 35 in quebec. 15 people are still missing. the run away train was 73 cars long, mostly tankers filled with oil. they exploded and leveled much of the town's commercial district. for cirque du soleil it is on with the show. cirq cirqeu's "ka" resumes tomorrow. it reopens in vegas after a 17-day hiatus. they had to stop the show after an acrobat plummeted 90 feet to her death. the new version reportedly cuts out the aerial battle sequence during which that performer died. investigators ruled her death an accident. coming up next, join me for a half hour cnn special on race in america. and what the george zimmerman case says about our society. we will hear from every side, every angle, no topic is off
3:23 pm
limits. should black men act differently when they're on the street? what do parents tell their kids about the verdict? that, so much more. tweet me @brookebcnn. do not miss this. race in america. every parent wants the safest and healthiest products
3:24 pm
for their family. that's why i created the honest company. i was just a concerned mom, with a crazy dream. a wish that there was a company that i could rely on, that did all of the hard work for me. i'm jessica alba, and the honest company was my dream. [ male announcer ] legalzoom has helped a million businesses successfully get started, including jessica's. launch your dream at legalzoom today. call us. we're here to help.
3:25 pm
[ male announcer ] some question physics. some question gravity. and some... even have the audacity to question improbability. with best-in-class towing and best-in-class torque
3:26 pm
these are some of the bold, new ram commercial trucks -- built to blow your imagination. guts. glory. ram. i'm brooke baldwin. thanks for being with me here on this monday. for the next half hour you will hear a provocative discussion on race in america. after a huge weekend here, a jury tdecided that a hispanic mn who shot an unarmed black teenager is not guilty of murder in the second degree. this case has inspired emotion, perhaps in you. anger, rage, confusion. one side said over lack of justice. the other, confident in america's legal system. >> when doesn't anything play into the race narrative? >> people feeling like they're treated differently in this country. >> what is the pace for which a black man can walk in america? >> across america, hundreds hit
3:27 pm
the streets to protest. we break down their complaints. plus, a provocative letter surfaces. dear george zimmerman. you'll now get an idea what it feels like to be a black man in america. and how to explain the verdict to young people of all races. >> what do i tell him now? as a lawyer, as a mother? >> well, with me now, mo ivory, attorney and host of radio's mo ivory show. also david webb will be joining us momentarily, co-founder of the nyct party. buck davis in studio seven. diversity and inclusion expert. and ruben navarette. ruben, welcome back to you. welcome to every single one of you. we just want to go there in every which way because this is such an important story that has resonated across this country. first let me just read you a letter. i think from what i understand there are many letters similar
3:28 pm
to this. there's a young man on facebook by the name of alex frazier. he has written this letter. this is what he said. dear george zimmerman, for the rest of your life, you are now going to feel like what it's like to be a black man in america. you will feel people stare at you, judging you for what you think are unfair reasons. you will lose out on getting jobs for something you feel is outside of your control. you will believe yourself to be an upstanding citizen and wonder why people choose to not see that. he goes on. people will cross the street when they see you coming. they will call you hurtful names. it will drive you so insane some days that you'll want to scream at the top of your lungs. but you'll have to wake up the next day, put on a firm look and push through life. his final line, i bet you never thought that by shooting a black male, you would end up inheriting all of his struggles. enjoy your freedom. since sincerely, a black male who could have been trayvon martin. it's a powerful letter.
3:29 pm
it has been shared more than 75,000 times on facebook. you're wowing. >> wow. i read that letter last night. it was being passed around facebook. i saw it. i read it. i thought it was really very intense and a very great analogy. although i to feel a little bit differently about why a black man has to go through those struggles in america versus why george zimmerman has to go through this struggle now. >> very different reasons. >> very different reasons. >> but you do feel like it's a fair comparison? >> i think it's a fair compapa e comparison in that there are just these things a black man goes through that are about the stares, are about the judgments without having a basis. now, for george zimmerman, he deserves every bit of every judgment that is coming his way. i have no feelings about that. but for the situation for black men, it is a very good analogy. because that is what black men go through in all of the stereotypes that are put on them every day. all of the judgments, all of the
3:30 pm
sort of blockage that they have in their lives trying to just live in america. >> ruben, why do you think that this case is so emotional? >> because it plays into an existing narrative that a lot of people have that the criminal justice system opportunity work for african-americans. and that when african-americans step into a courtroom, more times than not throughout our history, it has not gone well. justice has not been served. the problem, i think, in this case is nobody knows what happened that particular night in sanford, florida, on february 26th of last year. other than one person who's gone, one person who didn't testify in his own trial. and we have also the peculiar nature of the florida law, the stand your ground law. these seem to be very specific things. my problem is when we take this and make it global, it suddenly becomes about the contempt that people have for african-american men in particular in our society. if you want to go from here to there, it's a long way home. i don't think we can get there. >> here's the but that some people are pointing out. the fact that obviously this is an incredibly tragic story.
3:31 pm
even the president pointing that out and saying, listen, the jury has spoken. please, peace. the fact that there are many young african-americans who are killed, you look at chicago, for example. each and every weekend dozens of young african-americans are killing other young african-americans. why not the same level of outrage, rallying in chicago? >> well, i have a perspective on the emotion that i see playing out in america. i think there needs to be more education around the justice system. it's a very complicated system. and what i found over the last year following this trial is that our justice system is really not all about the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. what i think the justice system is about is scraping up as much evidence as you can find and creating the most compelling story. now, for us outsiders who are not legal analysts, we're watching, and we're not scrutinizing all the information. we're not being able to see every piece of the evidence. so what happens is, in the
3:32 pm
absence of information, we will plug in our own story. and if i have been routinely seen as a racist, then i'll plug that story in. if i have been the victim of racism, i'll plug that story in. when enough people share that same story, then there is a ground swell of emotion, and if it's chaneled in the right direction, it is productive. and it can create change. and if it's unleashed, it can create chaos. that is the trajectory. >> the reason -- your question about chicago. the reason why chicago doesn't -- why don't we care about black boys killing each other or killing people in the street? we do care about it. there are numerous organizations, of course, civil rights organizations across this country working on this problem in chicago. the president addressed this problem in chicago. it's not that we don't care about it. >> it doesn't seem to be the same. >> because the media doesn't pick up on it the same way. >> is it -- i hear you. i hear you. i hear you. as a member of the media, people are saying it's the media. it's the media. other people are saying what
3:33 pm
about the reverend jesse jacksons and the al sharptons? they're potentially heading and are really playing a prominent role as a leader in the african-american community when it comes to what happened in sanford. then you have tweets from folks like rick hume of fox news. ben ferguson, conservative radio host. jesse jackson is is a race baiter. calling for calmness while screaming about a race war and real justice being served. sick man. >> this is what we do, though. we attack the person, right? instead of the problem. >> let's attack the problem. >> attack the problem. stop attacking the person. this isn't about jesse jackson. this isn't about al sharpton. this really isn't even about the countless kids killed in chicago. this is about the mothers out on the street every day trying to bring attention to their child. there are 1,000 sabriybrina ful. 1,000 tracy martin. we toedon't pay attention to bl life like we do white life. this story is sensational because it was a white hispanic
3:34 pm
man. >> white hispanic? >> yes. let's make that distinction. we want to brush over that so quickly. he's hispanic so it's two minorities. he's a white hispanic man who we all identified first as white. >> whose fault is that? >> that's america's racist fault. that's america's racist fault. because everything is about the lines of racism in america. and if we don't ever start to have the real conversation -- >> david webb. david webb is shaking his head. >> hi, david. >> david webb, jump in. david is joining the conversation. he has now taken a seat in new york. take a deep breathe, david webb. go ahead. >> i don't know where to start, first of all. no one's actually answered your question about why there is no outrage over what's going on in chicago, over 77 dead, 24 wounded in the last few days since wednesday. five killed in the last few days. >> yes, i did. >> nobody's answering that question. >> yes, i did. >> let him answer. >> to answer your question about the white hispanic or your point about that, the same dynamic
3:35 pm
which produced george zimmerman produced president obama, but he's considered black. the white hispanic is something that was a media construct. that was created to paint zimmerman, because of his name zimmerman, as white. if his name was rodriguez we'd have a different picture. as we now see his family, his members, his community, look at the town of sanford for what it is, 48% white, 29% black, mixed race hispanic about 11% and so on. the dynamic falls under the facts. the fact is this was a tragedy. i think we can all agree with that. >> yes. >> that should never have happened. what has happened since then has been a travesty of trying to come to a predetermined outcome based on before the two actually interacted with each other. that's what the law was. >> how do you mean predetermined outcome? sfwl >> in florida, you can charge under florida law with bias which they also did not do. the fbi looked into the case. they found there was no racial profiling. the doj can continue all they
3:36 pm
want. but they also have to meet the burden that was proven or disproven in the civil -- in the criminal trial. so how do they go forward? they didn't charge where they didn't have a race based incident. >> so we hear from mark o'mara saying this morning this wasn't about race. he sort of agreed with you talking about the education of the judicial system. but let me go back to really this is to anyone. on the issue, you know, some folks are saying, you know, yes, justice has been done. others obviously vehemently disafwree with that. when this happened last february lawyers for trayvon martin's family, the ben crumps, were saying, listen, for months and months and months. we just need to have a judge apd a jury. let this play out. it seems like now that it has, that verdict and that system hasn't been accepted. is that fair? >> no. i think that we have accepted the verdict. except respecting it, accepting
3:37 pm
it and calling it what it is are very timpdifferent things. i accept the verdict. the system is what it is. the prosecution did not prove beyond a reasonable doubt. >> do you think the system worked? >> the system is broken. a broken system can't work. a broken system can't fail somebody it was never built to protect. >> the system wasn't built to protect black people or white people. >> the system was built -- >> mo, you're putting toward -- >> that is why we are now going back and altering the trdrug la and all that. wake up and deal with the reality of what is going on. we are dealing with our criminal justice system in our states every day and altering laws to make them more just and equal. there's an overwhelming amount of black men in prison. there is an education to prison pipeline that is profitable in this nation that is run by corporate entities that are making money on putting black boys in jail. >> great speech, mo. there's a failure, first of all -- there's a failure of
3:38 pm
education to prison pipeline that you could probably establish. education is something that's sorely lacking. especially in the inner city and the urban areas like detroit, chicago, fifth ward in houston, camden, new jersey, and so on. where there are failure rates for blacks. we have a country with a real -- frankly, a real crisis of epidemic proportions in certain communities. and its basis is economic and cultural. the prison system is another part of it, but not all of it. >> let me put a pause there. we could have an entire show, i think, on the issues of prisons in our country. i want to go back to specifically what's happened here with the 17-year-old who is gone and a man who innocent is gone because he's walking free. but he's a feared man. much more on our race in america special, including the question, i know, that is on the mind of so many parents in america with kids who are black, who are 17. how do you talk to your kids, to your nephews, in the wake of what's happened over the
3:39 pm
weekend? let's talk about that, next. [ chainsaw buzzing ] humans. sometimes, life trips us up. sometimes, we trip ourselves up. and although the mistakes may seem to just keep coming at you, so do the solutions. like multi-policy discounts from liberty mutual insurance. save up to 10% just for combining your auto and home insurance. call liberty mutual insurance at...
3:40 pm
to speak with an insurance expert and ask about all the personalized savings available for when you get married, move into a new house, or add a car to your policy. personalized coverage and savings -- all the things humans need to make our world a little less imperfect. call... and ask about all the ways you could save. liberty mutual insurance -- responsibility. what's your policy? saving time by booking an appointment online, even smarter. online scheduling. available now at meineke.com.
3:41 pm
3:42 pm
glnchts we have seen the reaction on the streets to a jury finding george zimmerman not guilty. what about in your own home? what are african-american families taking away from this verdict? especially those who have young men, sons, nephews. listen to what charles blow, a "new york times" columnist, what he told cnn about talking to his own boys. >> i used to tell my boys, don't run because they may think you're suspicious. actually now i have to say don't walk slowly. that also means that you may be suspicious. we have to figure out what is the pace for which a black man can walk in america and be beyond suspicion? that is a crazy conversation to have. >> the pace that a young black man can walk. i want to bring in these three women, cnn legal analyst, former federal prosecutor sunny hostin. also jenny hutt.
3:43 pm
and donna brazile, cnn political analyst. sunny, let me begin with you. you were sitting there next to charles. also i know you have -- he's younger, but a 10-year-old son. what do -- this is like the sparking of conversations i know across the country. >> well, it's interesting. my son's school did discuss the trayvon martin case. so i didn't inject the case into our home. i oftentimes don't talk about work at home with my children. but he asked me several questions about it. he's away at sleepaway camp. i don't know that he knows what the verdict was. but i will tell you, as a mother of a brown boy, it has caused my husband and i to have this discussion. what do we tell him now? not only about the verdict, but about perhaps how he is perceived in the united states. how he may be perceived by other people. he is a very tall child. he's a thin boy. but i want to be able to advise him appropriately, brooke, on how people perceive him. that perhaps, as i've often
3:44 pm
taught him, that they should perceive him by the content of his character. maybe they won't. maybe they will still perceive him by the color of his skin. and he needs to be prepared for that. i think that's going to be a very difficult discussion, quite frankly, that i'm going to have with him this summer. >> that was a dream of dr. king's. clearly, it's tough. it's tough being a young black man according to a lot of people that i've been talking to. donna brazile, what are you hearing? just in communities around? >> well, there's a lot of anger, disappointment, frustration, shock. it's appalling. from the grocery store to the shopping centers that i've been to, to church, just sitting on my front porch and listening to young black boys, young black men, others describe their own emotions. it goes back to the time when i heard my parents, both my mom and my dad tell my brothers, my three brothers, how to conduct themselves. even though you're not a criminal, some people might
3:45 pm
assume you are. so watch what you wear. watch what you say. when you're stopped by the police, be humble. respect your dignity, your pride. hearing my parents tell my young brothers, now hearing my brothers with five young sons having to tell their sons, this must stop. we need to allow black males, black females, whites, hispanics, any child who wants to go to the grocery store to buy some fruit or candy, we should not profile them. we should not assume the worst. we should treat every child that they're special, they're precious in the eyes of god. and the notion that this young man was unarmed, was murdered, it has touched an emotion in everyone, including black women. but also i've heard from my white female friends, it's touched them. it's touching my hispanic friends. >> i see you nodding, jenny. jenny, go ahead. >> yes. it has touched all of us. it certainly touched me. i'm a white jewish woman with two white children and this is
3:46 pm
heartbreaking. there's an expectation, a reasonable expectation that we send our children out into the world. they're going to come home to us. this sort of thing should not happen. should not have happened. and like sunny, my son's at sleepaway camp. i got to see him this past weekend. i said to him, i'm waiting for the zimmerman verdict. i got to tell you, i'm terribly disappointed as i think most of us are. it's horrible. >> here's the other part of this. this was interesting. i was hearing from a colleague on this show team, she was saying there are a lot of, you know, late teens, early 20s african-american men who are saying to their parents, why is this case such a big deal? i have friends of pink, purple, green, black, blue color. and the parents are having to sit them down and say, son, let me tell you something about civil rights and what has happened in this country. you cannot be color blind. it seems like the younger generation to some extent is unaware. have you all heard that at all? >> absolutely. absolutely. when my son first came home to talk about this case, you know, i come from a multiracial
3:47 pm
background. and, you know, you sit around my table at thanksgiving, you think you're at the united nations. so i have raised my children, perhaps wrongly now, to not see people by race. that we are all part of the human race. and that your race doesn't define you. and i've got to tell you, i was stunned by the verdict. but i do think unfortunately now you have to have these discussions. because it appears that we aren't living in this post racial society because we have a black president. we aren't living in a post racial society because, you know, you think that, perhaps, the civil rights movement was a long time ago. race is a real problem. and i think it took this case, quite frankly, brooke, to open up my eyes to that. when i was looking at this case and analyzing it, i was in sanford, as you know. i was looking at it purely from a legal perspective. purely from the perspective of a former prosecutor. i did not think race was a part
3:48 pm
of this -- this case. and i think from the reaction that i've gotten, the hate mail that i've gotten, the angry tweets calling me a racist, i -- it was my naivety. race is very much an issue still in our country. certainly i think it was an underlying factor in this case. >> ladies, we're coming back to you. sunny, jenny, donna, stand by. coming up, we're asking our other panel, the question is, can you profile without being racist? that's next. you make a great team. it's been that way since the day you met. but your erectile dysfunction - it could be a question of blood flow. cialis tadalafil for daily use helps you be ready anytime the moment's right. you can be more confident in your ability to be ready. and the same cialis is the only daily ed tablet approved to treat ed and symptoms of bph like needing to go frequently or urgently. tell your doctor about all your medical conditions and medications, and ask if your heart is healthy enough for sexual activity. do not take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain, as this may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. do not drink alcohol in excess with cialis.
3:49 pm
side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache or muscle ache. to avoid long-term injury, seek immediate medical help for an erection lasting more than 4 hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision, or if you have any allergic reactions such as rash, hives, swelling of the lips, tongue or throat, or difficulty breathing or swallowing, stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. ask your doctor about cialis for daily use and a 30-tablet free trial. and didn't know where to start. a contractor before at angie's list, you'll find reviews on everything from home repair to healthcare written by people just like you. no company can pay to be on angie's list, so you can trust what you're reading. angie's list is like having thousands of close neighbors, where i can go ask for personal recommendations. that's the idea. before you have any work done, check angie's list. find out why more than two million members count on angie's list. angie's list -- reviews you can trust. i love you, angie. sorry, honey. if you've got it, you know how hard it can be to breathe
3:50 pm
and man, you know how that feels. copd includes emphysema and chronic bronchitis. spiriva is a once-daily inhaled copd maintenance treatment that helps open my obstructed airways for a full 24 hours. you know, spiriva helps me breathe easier. spiriva handihaler tiotropium bromide inhalation powder does not replace fast-acting inhalers for sudden symptoms. tell your doctor if you have kidney problems, glaucoma, trouble urinating, or an enlarged prostate. these may worsen with spiriva. discuss all medicines you take, even eye drops. stop taking spiriva and seek immediate medical help if your breathing suddenly worsens, your throat or tongue swells, you get hives, vision changes or eye pain, or problems passing urine. other side effects include dry mouth and constipation. nothing can reverse copd. spiriva helps me breathe better. does breathing with copd weigh you down? don't wait to ask your doctor about spiriva.
3:51 pm
his brother says in the past he mentored two american boys. this from. let me bring this panel back in. i just want to go round robin. can you profile without being racist? >> absolutely. we have normal, natural negative reactions to people different than us. it's just how we're built. the key is to not let your normal negative reactions influence your behavior. george zimmerman quite possibly is not a racist. a purist racist would claim it. he would say, yes, i took him down, that was my point. he would claim it. we have racist thoughts. and those are us who are
3:52 pm
self-aware and try to manage our biases try to put a block on that. so the key is -- whatever happens in your head is fine. you just don't let it influence your behavior, like he did. and he came across looking like a racist because his thought, his words ended up in behaviors that left a young boy dead. >> do you agree? >> no, i don't agree at all. i think that you don't have to claim racism to be a racist. i think there's subtle and overt racism. i think all of us have a bit of racism inside of us. for example, i might walk down the street and see three men walking towards me down the street and i say to myself should i crossover? then i say don't do that. i don't think you have to scream i'm a racist. there are a lot of people in america that are as racist as
3:53 pm
can be but they would talk to you and -- racism can be very subtle. it can happen in a job interview, it can happen as a gas station. it can happen coming home from the 7-eleven. >> quick break. back after this. rence of the da. hi! hi, buddy! that's why the free wifi and hot breakfast are something to smile about. book a great getaway now and feel the hamptonality
3:54 pm
3:55 pm
let me tell you, we have been talking about this through the commercial break.
3:56 pm
can you profile without being racist? reuben, your answer? >> the answer is, yes, if you profile on behavior, not on what people do, skin color, ethnicity. in arizona you have law enforcement officers profiling la tine latinos because they believe they're in the country illegally. what do we do with that? >> profiling is not necessarily negative or racist. it's a tool could be used, as you showed with law enforcement. what i'm hearing is a lot of this low or no expectation when it comes to critical thinking. what's being put forward is that you're racist if you either do show it or don't show it, that it must be the thing that exists and that is simply a false notion when it comes to our culture and to america. we have problems with racism in this country. not everything is related to
3:57 pm
racism, even if there is an element of racial difference involved. again, zimmerman half hispanic. we have to stop with this white hispanic whatever. we're a people, we're americans. we should recognize all facets and to the just drive a narrative. >> now with all of this said, with do we go from here? my ladies panel back after, this 60 seconds.
3:58 pm
donna brazile, sunny hostin, something happens, we debate it and then what? donna brazile, where do we go from here? >> we reexamine laws that might be misapplied in this case. i still believe stand your ground law has no place in our society. it's time to take a second look at it.
3:59 pm
>>. >> jenny hutt? >> there shouldn't be racial profiling. it's disgusting. sunny's right, our kids today tend to be color blind, which is the right way to be. >> sunny, i feel like we have these debates. does that take us anywhere? do we move forward to the countenance of one's character instead of the color of the skin as your honor quoting dr. king? >> i'd like to think so, that's the one thing that comes from this trial that we can move forward and perhaps reexamine stand your ground, reexamine racial profiling, acknowledge that there is an issue and acknowledge that we can change and progress. talking about it is the very beginning. >> sunny hostin, jenny hutt, donna brazile, thank you very much as we discuss what's in the minds and in the hearts. so many americans because of these two little words w

49 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on