Skip to main content

tv   Book TV  CSPAN  August 11, 2012 8:00am-10:00am EDT

8:00 am
[inaudible conversations] >> welcome to c-span2's booktv. every weekend we bring you 48 hours of books on history, biographies and public affairs by nonfiction authors. ..
8:01 am
>> how are you guys doing? good. day one, right? it's great to be at a young america's conference on the cusp of introducing young people to conservative ideas and injuring the you have those ideas and in availability to really go ahead and ricochet those ideas on your campus. certainly when you're at high school and college, whatever college you decide on attending.
8:02 am
you like the chris rock video? the cameras didn't catch it because he tried to smash at, so the volume went off, but he wanted to fight me afterward? he was conveniently standing behind two body guards and one of them is right in front of him. he's like you want to fight? let's throw done right now, in addition to other expletives coming out of his mouth and he's super skinny, like 100 pounds. seriously, you don't want to fight. behind two bodyguards. that's not what i expected, which is i guess what drugs do to you. [laughter] welcome i want to be honest with you. there are two things that keep me awake at night. two things. number one is the gut-churning thought of another four years of
8:03 am
barack obama. the next is that next season's dancing with the stars will feature janet napolitano. [laughter] you have no taste, come on. it seems like a bowling pin with a tupee. [laughter] i'm kidding. but another four years, i'm dead serious about that. the country can handle that. if you look what barack obama has done, he's done even more than his committed marxist dreams possible. let's see. he's racked up more debt than the first 41 u.s. presidents combined. that is from george washington to george w. bush, george h. w. bush. he's racked up more debt in just two and half years as president barack obama racked up more deficits than george w. bush and
8:04 am
all these years combined. and george w. bush was fighting the war, barack obama had deficits and just two and a half years to ambush in all eight years. also he socialized health care which the congressional budget office says is going to sleep some 800,000 jobs, but more importantly for young people, for us, it's the one to raise our premiums. why? because in obamacare it's tough to play some provision this is insurance companies can no longer very the price of 40 to one's age or health status. that means insurance companies look at us, they see young healthy individuals and say you ought to pay the same rate as your parents and grandparents. it's a huge redistribution of wealth from young to old, and yet the left just celebrates it. what else we have? youth unemployment and historic ties. you have almost doubled the national average with those 18
8:05 am
and over and teen unemployment, many of you in this category if not all of you, and in america right now for unemployment only 30% of teenagers are employed. why? because employers say it's too expensive in this down economy. the economy that is supposed to have been recovering for three years since the stimulus package passed. still, too expensive to hire young people. pretty much the obama presidency has been a disaster. barack obama is currently less popular than a sexually transmitted disease. [laughter] but still you may say well, obama has no chance. it's the way he's going to range in the oval office. another four years with this record. and i say not so fast because in the left they are counting on a secret ally that helped him get into the oval office in 2008 and
8:06 am
boosted her into stardom from obscurity and is really the biggest industry in america. we hear a lot in washington, d.c. about super pak money and you hear about the evil will fall street and the lobbying, but yet the left is always smiling but the biggest industry that is on barack obama's site, and that is hollywood. hollywood can not only sell an individual on the big screen but also can help with mega fund-raisers. that meant a fund-raiser for george cooney hosted for barack obama, a fund raiser the reported $15 million in just one evening. in one evening, $15 million barack obama is hoping hollywood is going to have the same effect that it did in 2008. in fact, hollywood counting on barack obama they have an allegiance to barack obama. in mannion and not have heard of but you may have seen his movies with jeffrey katzenberg.
8:07 am
he's the dreamworks animation ceo. yet he says this, i have a dependency on barack obama. we must keep fighting for him, so he can keep fighting for us. hollywood is dependent in their own words on barack obama. he loves them and they love him and that's how he launched into stardom. kinkos back -- well, it goes back to a little-known story that i write about "hollywood hypocrites," and that is than individual by the name of david geffin, that may not ring a bell but you've seen his movies, he's part-owner of dreamworks, and david and bill clinton back in the 90's they were tight. they had a man, ubber man crush on each other. when david geffin was in d.c. spent time in the lincoln bedroom. when bill clinton was in california, he would crash at david geffen's pad.
8:08 am
but then, bill clinton did was considered unforgivable, and that is he granted a pardon to a fugitive finance year by the name of mark rich, but he refused to grant a pardon to a guy by the name of leonard, who was a radical and was called the american indian movement. the serving consecutive life sentences for aiding and abetting in the execution-style murders of not one, but to fbi agents. now, there's nothing that excites the left more than a cop killers. just look at abu jamal in pennsylvania who's been on death row more than 30 years now, and the left still has their posters every time there's some type of rally, even if it has nothing to do with abu jamal. but david geffen was fuming mad. he said you know what? i'm done with bill clinton. i need to go searching for true
8:09 am
blue die-hard progressive and he found that person in barack obama. someone committed to the ideology of progressivism and that's why he started to organize star-studded fund-raisers for barack obama. that's why barack obama out of nowhere started to appear on the couch of oprah winfrey, he was on the set with ellen degeneres, granting exclusive to rolling stone, holding conferences with the dave matthews. he was the american idol candidate. for someone like david geffen, it paid off in big dividends. he was granted exclusive access to the white house. david geffen, there he is pointing to him by his side. michelle obama, the food which ready to pounce on any non-organic items. [laughter] and this is that the first state department dinner for the prime minister of india, and there is the prime minister wearing a
8:10 am
sweet turbin. hollywood committed to barack obama yondah barack obama committed to hollywood and they will stop at nothing to have another four years of him that's why we have to mosul hollywood when i say muscle i don't mean in the with the left does and try to silence this. they want to have a debate on different ideas and when a person comes to their own conclusion. that's not what i mean. i want most of them that way. what i want to do is analyze their public stances and see do they live by the set of policies they seek to inflict on the rest of america? or are they engaged? you and i deserve to know. well, let's start dhaka, shall we. we have meg ryan here. no, that's not, that's jon bon jovi. [laughter] for jon bon jovi is actually appointed to the white house council on community solutions.
8:11 am
whatever the hell that means. i don't know. but he's a presidential appointee. he is not just a cheese ball rocker from the 80's. it turns out that he is a beef farmer. now why is this important? in the state of new jersey, if you are classified as a farmer, you get to write off 98% of your property taxes. 98% of your property taxes. jon bon jovi is so committed to the reelection of barack obama that recently he was flying on air force one to go to a fund-raiser. use performing exclusively to a crowd that was going to raise millions of dollars for barack obama. he is one of the people barack obama is telling us aren't paying their fair share. this guy goes out of his plea on his tax record. he's not a musician, he's not some she's all rocker, no, he is a bee farmer, bon jovi.
8:12 am
does anyone want to take a guess how much bonn jovi pays in property taxes? dollar figure, anyone want to guess? right there. >> [inaudible] >> at thousand dollars? no, no. one more gas. go ahead. >> [inaudible] >> somewhere in between -- he pays $104 in property tax. $104 in property tax. to put that in perspective, bonds kofi pays more to highlight his hair than he does in property taxes. and yet he's performing for barack obama, someone who nags us that the rich aren't paying their fair share. next up, we have the boss, bruce springsteen. and he's always crying tax cuts for the rich even more so than jon bon jovi. when the issue was raised right into his local paper to say that rich people like him shouldn't get tax cuts he said recently
8:13 am
you can't have an american civilization with the kind of disparity of wealth we have. it will eat away at the country's heart and soul and spirit. that's what he told the sunday times london. his new tract, jack of all trades, goes against bankers that go on wall street while the working man is growing thin. okay. fine, that's his believe. he is certainly entitled to them. it turns out that the boss bruce springsteen he's also a farmer. in the state of new jersey, although he doesn't raise bees like bon jovi, but he's a farmer said he can write off 98% of his property taxes. since he's the guy that actually tells us tax cuts for the wealthy are eviscerating the social contract america has with the poor a of the middle class. again, he wants to believe it? fighting. but then he goes ahead and takes exploited steps in arcane law.
8:14 am
takes advantage of them are can loophole in the state of new jersey most people don't know about to classify himself not as a musician but as a farmer so he can write off 98% of his property taxes. next, we have barbra streisand. now, barbra streisand, she is just committed to the cause of global warming. here's a woman that harks on her website about the global warming emergency fund. and she says you and i can take baby steps to ward off a catastrophe that is climate change. she says we can change or light bulbs and don't run the dishwasher until its fall. fine. some steps to save energy and help the environment. it turns out the barbra streisand, while she tells you we can't be that, she spends $22,000 a year watering her garden and lawn. 22,000 a year.
8:15 am
she requests 120 - sized cowles upon entering a production studio which is probably used to clean 1353 foot semitrailers used at her concerts. 13 of the 5 feet three -- 53 foot semitrailers. she is a wrecking ball. [laughter] for you and i to keep up with barbra streisand's sasquatch sized footprint we have to release aerosol cans in the air. [laughter] of course the left is only following after the footsteps of the guru of massages, al gore, whose tennessee home used 20 times the amount of electricity than us on wal-mart shopping masses. well, he harps all the time about the environment. next up, harrison ford. you may be wondering what the
8:16 am
heck is harrison ford doing. he's getting his chest waxed. [laughter] you may be wondering why is harrison ford, great actor, i love the indiana jones series -- why is harrison ford getting his chest waxed? he wanted to bring awareness to climate change, so he has a beauty parlor wax off his chest for youtube commercial. if you are wondering how exactly does this bring awareness to climate change i don't know. [laughter] but it made sense to harrison ford up the time. okay, fine. a liberal environmentalist. it turns out that while harrison ford is getting his just walks for the camera, younce want one, not to, not three, four, five, six, but seven airplanes parked outside his home and he stated on the record that he often flies up the coast for a
8:17 am
cheeseburger. [laughter] you want to lecture the rest of us about the environment? this guy come for a cheeseburger. for a big mac. he is pollution pimping. [laughter] but i think a lot of these liberals don't believe in the environmental height you have to believe the mountains of scientific data that are coming out the making a mockery of the idea that man is responsible for warming the planet. look at the behavior of these hollywood. dayron oppressiveness of disaster because of coal warming and actors and actresses. they would be using movie studios that produce obscene amounts of energy sucker punch and eurith. no. not at all. so i will tell barack obama and his liberal friends in hollywood
8:18 am
that i will alter my lifestyle was soon as they alter theirs. it would be cool to own seven jets though, right? next we have hollywood hatemonger spike lee, a huge barack obama supporter. in fact in january he held a fund-raiser for him in the upper east side of manhattan. that brought in close to $2 million. now, spike lee is just an awful, awful human being. the guy has racial animosity just using and dripping all over him. and it's interesting that barack obama would break bread with someone like spike lee because he's constantly like during the rest of us about how mean-spirited talk radio is. how mean-spirited in the course of the political culture has become. i'm hanging out with spike lee. we are going to take a trip down memory lane. back in 2008 he said obama's tribe and the democratic party
8:19 am
was a chance to move beyond quentin. he put these old black politicians say mr. clinton was good to us, he hired a lot of us. he was good. they have to understand this is a new day. he's also referred to general colin powell and thomas as thinking like whites. he went on to say there's a difference between having a black skin and black thinking. he's referred to american actors cuba gooding jr. has been hitting in a servile way from how those sectors are selling out to the white industry in hollywood. and last but certainly not least, spike lee has gone after clint eastwood. now, it's interesting. he went after klindienst went and said that his to movies, flags of our fathers, and the letters from didn't have enough
8:20 am
black people in them. was racist that he wouldn't include black people in his movies. flags of our fathers and letters from hiroshima. it turns out that the first movie, flags of our fathers were about the american soldiers who raised the american flag that amount. none of whom were black the second movie, letters from iow jima were told from the soldiers none of whom were black. [laughter] so, not only is spike lee a racist, he's also a dumb ass. [laughter] [applause] but we should all be thankful that spike lee's racism has at least much heard over the years. because 20 years ago he was telling the london guardian newspaper that after visiting
8:21 am
south africa she wanted to pick up a gun and start shooting whites. that's what he said in the early 90's. next up, not the matt damon. i know. we love him. hypocrite though. he says he is committed to the code of nonviolence and peace-loving progressivism. he says i want to lend my voice to videogames, and i actually look at the violence in the script before i accept that movie deal. that's what matt damon says. i always look at the violence in the script. i don't want it to be gratuitous, because i do believe that that has an effect on people's behavior. i really do believe that. and i have turned down movies because of that. matt damon saying he's turned down movies because of violence.
8:22 am
[laughter] seriously? his movies have been orgies of violence and i'm glad they have been. movies would suck without violence. [laughter] he's also said it got this expensive firearms trainings and martial arts training, but don't be fooled. i still don't like guns, and i'm still committed to the cause of peace. he's so much committed to the cause of peace this is how he advertises his movies by the way, with a rifle pointed out your face. [laughter] 26 million of this movie. so his disdain for violence ends where his lust for dirty money begins. in fairness, he had no chance that to be a major-league hypocrite. he was influenced by academia and hollywood. the two reservoirs of hypocrisy this side anthony's tauter account. [laughter]
8:23 am
next up, alec baldwin, father of the year. why why call alec baldwin father of the year? because what father of the year wouldn't leave a voicemail on his 11-year-old daughter's phone calling her a rotten little pig? [laughter] in the wake of the baldwin puerto rico meltdown, alec baldwin actually wrote a book. after calling his daughter a rotten little pig, he wrote a book called quote cut it promised to ourselves a journey through fatherhood and to force." do with actually written a book on fatherhood after calling his daughter a rotten little pig. in any event, the hypocrisy comes into play with the wall street bailout. when in 2008 we were debating whether or not to give wall street $800 billion, alec baldwin actually cited with the attitudes of many conservatives, including myself.
8:24 am
he was riding in the huffingtonpost.com he said if you give them the banks, the 700 billion, make them issue stock. make every recipient of the bailout issue stock and return for our investment. don't give them the dough. make them sell a stake in their companies. banks, investment firms, insurance companies, you name it. or only give the money to small businesses. to hell with wall street. don't give them the money, don't let. make them sell us a piece of the action. okay. fine. it turns out alec baldwin, opposed to the bailout, he goes ahead and becomes a pitch man for capital one, which received 3.56 billion in wall street bailout. 3.56 billion in wall street bailout money. he justified the partnership by saying i'm doing a series of commercials for them, capital one. capital one was so great in
8:25 am
cooperating with me to set up a source people to contribute online. capital one well matched to give to the americans for the arts. so it's okay for alec baldwin to be a hypocrite and blast the wall street bailout and partner with a firm that took the wall street bailout money as long as they are giving away that taxed all the money to some save the arts krepp program. meanwhile, alec baldwin demonstrated what a tolerant, diverse loving lefty ki is by taking to twitter to call senator jim inhofe of oklahoma and oil poor and said that he should retire to a solar powered gay bar. [laughter] i don't think solar power gay bars exist. [laughter] could be wrong. maybe that's what we have to look forward to in the future.
8:26 am
but this is striking on multiple levels. liberals are telling us we need to express our sexuality. march on the campus, march on the streets. so, rather than a derivative we talking about gay rights, it alec baldwin worry true, tolerant one thing leftie come he would have offered him his first homosexual experience. [laughter] arianna huffington, the darling of the left, or else i like to say one scary broad. she pulled off with few progressives thought possible. she sold the huffingtonpost.com to aol for a reported $315 million, and she got a reported $100 million out of the deal. $350 million for the huffington post. and the 9,000 loggers who spent six years working for her for
8:27 am
free, guess how much they got? a big fat nothing. zero. zero of the $100 million she reportedly got. the full amount was in typical progress fashion was hysterical. one blocker said we made the huffingtonpost.com we are being abandoned. another disgruntled sucker rb stuart road he regrets estimating an estimated $25,000 worth of content and then a slap in the face for the slavery victims he said arianna not only sold her soul as well as her ship of slaves, but still deceives her demise of this act of greed and exploitation. when arianna huffington sold the post to a well she made her a leftie fan base so upset i didn't know whether to shove her or give her a high five. when in reality, she knows all
8:28 am
about corporate greed. she wrote a book called pig is not the trough help corporate greed and political corruption are undermining america and that is where this comes from the litany it seems committed by a high priest of profit is a study of theft, treachery, pride, and most of all the greed, greed, greed. bottom line, you have arianna huffington, the priestess of pages as i call her in hollywood hypocrites, denouncing corporate empires while she goes ahead and built her own. it turns out that arianna huffington, as i also point out in hollywood hypocrites' this is less an ideological but certainly knew and raúl of italy for me, she belongs to the new aids cold held in california. a new aids cold that is pronounced messiah. they call themselves messiah and
8:29 am
she swears allegiance to some guy by the name of john roger who says that he is the embodiment of a figure that's higher than jesus christ. and this figure comes down to earth every 25,000 years and he happens to be that deutsch. and she swears allegiance to him and is a part of this new age cult to little-known interesting fact most people don't know arianna huffington, the progressive you can say publisher of the left is part of a cult, heck the priestess of a cult in california. next we have tskhinvali michael moore. michael actually said something in 2008 that i agree with and probably you will to. he was at the traveler city film festival in michigan he was denouncing hollywood subsidies.
8:30 am
in 41 states around the country, there was a little-known program that is really budget busters where you have hollywood executives will give direct subsidies to help produce their movies. why should our tax dollars go to helping produce hollywood movies? it really shouldn't. that's why the free market works the best of their great they can go to the box office and see it and if it sucks it's going to bomb at the box office. he took that same tone when he says these are large multinational corporations. why do they need our money from michigan, from our tax payers who are already broke here? what's the thinking behind that? giving free money to a bunch of billionaires'. totally agree with michael moore. it's unwarranted. flash forward to years later to 2010, found the release of his pro socialism documentary "capitalism a love story," a film that grossed $17 million worldwide. it turns out that michael moore
8:31 am
requested and was approved to get $1 million of that same free cash that he just condemned two years earlier. that's right. he went to the state of michigan and got $1 million from michigan citizens to go ahead and produce capitalism a love story, which as i said grossed more than $17 million in worldwide sales. but of course it is our duty to send michael moreh our hard earned money after all he is in need of day gut tuck. what makes these hypocrisies particularly egregious, as i point out in "hollywood hypocrites" is not what this says about human failings. we all don't live up to standard that we may strive to. what it says is the logic of obama's radical agenda that not even his staunchest allies in
8:32 am
washington hollywood, not his biggest backers would live by the crappy seeks to foist on the rest of us. i don't care that bruce springsteen calls himself a former sciu right off his property taxes. if i lived in new jersey i would do the same thing. i don't care that arianna huffington is hard nosed in business or harrison ford owns seven jumbo jets. that's pretty cool that he often flies up the coast for a cheeseburger. must be one fine might be cheeseburger. [laughter] i don't care about that or that matt damon stars and violent movies. i encourage him to host more violent movies. go ahead, keep going. i don't care about that. but please don't advocate the use of the heavy hand of government taxes to squash the very liberties and freedoms than you used to catapult yourself into prosperity and start on. and that's what we have to bring to the table when pointing out all the what hypocrisy or the
8:33 am
hypocrisy from the left in general. and there are swarms of them. we have to be missionaries in our schools. and i'm glad you guys are here. heck, in high school would never be at an event like this. you have certainly one up to me. but you have to take the information. there's a lot more dirty little secrets hollywood doesn't want you to know about in the book so i encourage you to get it. with the information you get from not only the book the information you get at young america's foundation and the fact you are here and able to hear from a variety of speakers coming and the foundation staff, meticulously put together notes and books and activism material for you to go ahead and do something with it. one of my favorite passages of scripture is not to just be of the world, you have to be doers of the word and we expect you to go ahead and be doers of the words you hear.
8:34 am
evangelize the good ideas of liberty and freedom. don't be ashamed or apologetic of it. be proud of it. young people rarely hear conservative ideas, so when the year conservative ideas for the first time, it sounds fresh and rebellious and provocative. all things that really young and hungry minds to rest for. they are eager to hear about it and you are in the prime position to go ahead and spread the word. i can speak with you on the authority of the subject. why? because i did the same thing when i was in college. i didn't start early in high school, that's why i said you have one up on me. well, she's under 30-years-old, to "new york times" best sellers. something special? no, but i started at the young america's foundation conference. started, help them during the summer, but speakers to my campus and for five years, and that's how i got started on the scene. so you didn't even have to be
8:35 am
involved in the conservative movement activities full time. it's whatever fear of influence you give yourself involved in while you are in high school and get to college to go round and be unapologetic about the ideas because most people want to be led by statesman. they want to be led by leaders. don't be sheet, because they need someone to herd them. if we have liberals hurting them, we see the obama-style disaster will occur. last time around, conservatives sat back and they let barack obama steamroll them by his celebrity fuelled machine. this time around i say we do the steamrolling because it is our future. right? therefore it's got to be our fight. thank you. [applause]
8:36 am
>> questions, questions. we can go to that middle microphone. >> hello comegys into it - grand ball from california. so you've identified and let me agree with you that these liberal influence in hollywood is a big supporter of obama and it's definitely a threat to deal with in this next election. i want to know what you think as quickly an example in the past of ronald reagan when he fought communism in hollywood, she was encouraged in a couple of meetings to enter through the back door for future of violence against him, but he's told stood boldly. how was it that we to give it to flee speaking walk through the front door and a bully combat this threat to our freedom in the next election? >> use the opportunities that are before you.
8:37 am
i mean, it's no surprise that you are at a young america's foundation event. young america's foundation saved the ronald reagan ranch and is making sure young people are introduced to his ideas. reagan was very bold in his pronouncements. he wasn't shamed or shameful or shy about his conservative ideas. and he actually had a maturation process. he started out as a democrat. he had some laws that he passed that he wasn't proud of in this to the california, but more and more he started to advance conservative ideas especially when he was a spokesman for general electric, and young americans for freedom actually sponsored a radio show by ronald reagan. he was a great communicator, and the fact that he was in hollywood actually helped and it's a great example of how pop culture is so influential on society. most people, especially on the right they think they are going to change the attitude of the
8:38 am
country through washington, d.c. and the legislating wall. i don't believe that. i think you change the culture, change society by influencing culture. culture and politics always run downstream. that's why i'm encouraging that. when it comes to washington, d.c., but go live in california, try to become if you want to part of the hollywood crew. don't put the u.n. to the young america's foundation conference on your resume of course. get involved in the arts, the science. become a musician. there are tons of lawyers and policy think tanks here in washington, d.c.. i think we got the best of them on our side. but we are lacking going out and making conservative ideas relevant to our generation and that's what we have to do. because our principles don't change whether you were 18 or 80 the principles of change the manner that you convey your principles to change. there is no uniform you have to wear to be a conservative.
8:39 am
you have a big rock severe reducible principles than you believe in, and now use your platform, whatever your platform may turn out to be. go ahead and use it to advance conservative ideas. figure out a way that you can influence your peers by speaking to a conservative ideas in a manner that is relevant to them. [applause] there is a very small circle in hollywood of really good people who are working kind of an affiliation with the mostly against these types of things that you're talking about. while we have these guys appear that you're talking about, we also have a few really good conservative factors, filmmakers, etc.. as someone who would like to work in the industry one day to kind of work to overcome the challenges that these people have created, i would like to know who you believe are some of
8:40 am
the top film makers, actors etc. who are truly conservative and doing the right thing in hollywood. >> i can't count them publicly. there are some people that are not a card-carrying member of the left, but his career has been established. there's a lot of people under the radar who are pretty famous that i just know from talking to people behind the scenes and spending a lot of time out in hollywood, and there's a movement that is not so much secret anymore it's called friends of abraham lincoln were a bunch of conservatives get together sometimes on a monthly basis, and these are all people throughout the industry some have higher rules and some are starting out like yourself. we can certainly get in touch afterwards and maybe i can steer you in the right direction. but the bias is definitely real. there are people i know who were cut like mtv and vh1 who are
8:41 am
conservative, but they would never go out and say so because fear of retribution and what happened. so i think there is a growing movement to have people better fan of in the direction of the country that may not identify as conservative but they know something is wrong, and they know that hollywood in general is so aloof from the particulars of this country. that's why someone like tom hanks can get off at cnn and say obama has been so great. he's actually expanded my expectations of a president can do. i mean, what world do you live in? he's expanded your expectations? his expand our expectations, but for the worst. but for tom hanks, this is awesome, four more years. sign me up. that's because the bottom line is hollywood is emotional. they are emotional by their very duties. they have to play other people
8:42 am
almost every single day of their lives. and they have to get us to go spend $15 to hear -- to watch a movie. they are emotional beings. that's why they are attracted to liberalism by the way if you're curious. what is liberalism? it is nothing more than a temper tantrum with a political label attached to it. [laughter] any time you have a rational discussion of what to do with the direction of the country you want to go ahead and reform medicare. social security to the insolvent programs. you just mathematically these programs are going broke. so someone like paul ryan puts together, certainly not radical proposals, but proposals the would curb the growth of medicare and actually have it sustainable for those who needed. what does the left to coax the publish commercials of a paul ryan look-alike pushing the grandmother off a cliff. how could you have a rational
8:43 am
conversation with these people? but that is their anno. every time you have a discussion, it is always an emotional outburst. but i think we can learn from the left. we have to actually to temper our message i want is an outburst but be able to have to communication through emotional appeal because conservatives are usually just logical thinking people. we have to be the logically thinking people but remember a lot of americans are emotional creatures as well, as we have to have a healthy balance. you're welcome. [applause] >> [inaudible] my question is why would millionaires in hollywood want to back obama with the exception of bonn jovi with his farm or whatever. i almost said hard-earned money but they live in hollywood, so it can't be that hard. >> welcome to be fair it's hard work to put together a movie and
8:44 am
sell it. but why would they align themselves with liberals who want to tax the hell out of them? because they hire legions of accountants to exploit the tax code like pancho villa and springsteen us to make sure they don't pay the same taxes as the rest of america. they pay an effective tax rate of something a lot lower than 40, 50% of whatever it is going to end up being. they have smart people, smart accountants. they hide their money offshore. they want to keep their money just as much as we do. so cool, go ahead. i don't need this money. and michael moore say in how dare you have the subsidies that take millions of dollars from the hard-earned citizens of michigan and what does he do? he goes ahead and requests $1 million. they can talk one thing and do something completely different because the media lets them get away with it. they just want exclusive
8:45 am
interviews with these actors and actresses. chris rock he calls the tea party racist and esquire magazine's is what is the evidence? term millions of people around the country. they disagree with the direction that barack obama has taken them. do you think every single one of them is a racist who goes in waves their american flag at a tea party? really? there is no question. why? because the one the exclusivity. people like us are going to use the tactics to go ahead and get the interview after the question is that the drones in the media won't. [applause] i'm from arlington virginia -- >> of the few conservatives that are in hollywood seems like the liberal media likes to make the not to be jerks and racists and a lot of people in my generation automatically listen to what the media has to say and assume that
8:46 am
these conservatives in hollywood are jerks and racists. what do you think can be done to make him think differently? >> you have to get over the fact that the media or the left is going to make you out to be a jerk and a racist. again they are emotional, they are throwing a temper tantrum. so, you have some type of proposal -- i remember during the debate whether or not to increase the debt ceiling. this country is bone dry broke. how broke do we want to be? last summer there were some republicans in congress who said no we've just got to spend within our limits, and you have sheila jackson lee from texas who gets up and says they are opposing barack obama and the increase of the debt limit because the skin color. what? but that's what we are dealing with pity at first i would say get over it and you should be armed with the facts. mitt romney spoke to the naacp
8:47 am
yesterday and while he was speaking to the naacp, the media covered it like my gosh, what a big deal. here you have some conservative, republican going to the lion's den speaking with people that clearly are an ally to his agenda and he is just probably uncomfortable being around. i'm tired of republicans being on the defense when you have the parties from the analytical standpoint in this country. no party has a history of consistently standing up for civil rights. ending slavery, starting reconstruction, ending jim-crow come and to this day treating people as people and not a part of the victimized group. the democrats for years obstruct every civil-rights law or antisleeve rebuilt. if it wasn't for senator everett dirksen, republican from illinois who rallied together 27 of the republicans to overthrow a filibuster of the civil rights
8:48 am
bill that was being filibustered by al gore sr. and robert byrd who want to have the civil rights bill to this day. in fact the democrats overturned the 1875 civil rights act we may not have needed the 1964 civil rights act. we have a proud history standing up for race relations in this country and it should always be on the tip hartung and spit it out to the peers because they haven't heard it. they are going to pose a public school and get a public-school education where they are conveniently leaving out all these facts where america is looked at as the big bad country and around the world and yet never looked at as america being a beacon of freedom. yes does she have persons but no country has done more for civil rights and freedom in the history of the planet. so don't be afraid to use the information you get here and talk to your peers. how're you going to overcome it?
8:49 am
you go ahead and talk to them. >> thank you. [applause] >> good afternoon. i'm the chairman of my high school in ohio and my question for you is the presentation via seen how hollywood has an immense influence over society here in america. although you free field through your presentation many of the celebrities are hypocritical and even bigoted, my question for you is how we as conservatives both young and old get influence over the media so we can promote our values of limited government and individual freedoms and have the same influence that hollywood has over the media and society today on the right and the left? >> great question. and we have an advantage today that not even ronald reagan has. he didn't have fox news or conservative talk radio or twitter and all these different applications and facebook. we have the loyalty to go ahead
8:50 am
and bring to light stories that the media refuses to cover. the fact that you had some people under the age of 25 that brought down a.c.o.r.n.. under 25 and they bring down a.c.o.r.n.. but the mainstream media make a mockery of their coverage on twitter which happens all the time. conservatives are dominating alternative sources of information. and that is a good thing. less and less people are paying attention to what space says on 60 minutes. when is the last time you watched 60 minutes or the cbs evening news? i can't remember the last time i watched it. and my parents rarely even watch it. but they do pay attention and certainly our generation pays attention to the alternative media. as long as we use what sources of information we have to to our advantage, i feel we can force
8:51 am
the mainstream media into coverage. when chris brock called the tea party racist and i went ahead and confronted him and he attacked my camera woman on camera for everyone to see not only did it make it like of the drudge report and the more conservative leaning out let's there was on trademark -- tmz and individual blogs i couldn't have gotten writing an individual blog a on y chris rock is a moron. you have to confront and hated it innocence because a big fan of chris rock, i really enjoyed his comedy over the years. a successful runs to riches story. but i think if we used as alternative sources of information and aggressively put more to our ideas in the mainstream media it is the story that ends up being the case. [applause] my name is evin carter from
8:52 am
michigan. my question was how did you come in light of the chris rock situation, how do you plan the investigative journalism and boesh so that you don't get injured because it's like you were investigating someone who was hypocritical. how do you do that and get the scoop but at the same time protect yourself and make sure you are not totally be up pucks >> [inaudible] [laughter] i'm not afraid of what one of these leftie's can do. but the reality is you never know. mabey chris akaka doesn't have that a body guards and goes ahead and takes a swing at me. may confront him in the future and it may turn violent on their end. you can't really plan for that. you can go ahead and investigate
8:53 am
the person, plan a question and go ahead and execute it. but besides that, a lot of it is a spurt of the moment and you have to be on guard. the essentially slow. if it does turn violent because of what some liberal does, then that's just -- it looks bad on them and it is an expression of liberalism because what is liberalism? nothing more and -- >> a political temper tantrum? >> a political temper tantrum with a stamp on it. thank you. [applause] hello. i'm with trenton new jersey and as i'm sure you know today many young people were turned away from politics and don't care. and there was wondering how you get people turned into this and interested in all of this? >> that's an excellent question. most students -- the fact that you are out of the conference in these alternative sources of
8:54 am
information and hear from speakers from morning until night you're not the average high school student. so your peers are going to be more interested in playing their game council hanging out at mcdonald's for tweeting all day. that is speaking in the manner the understand. the reason john stewart is so successful he's a comedian first and then he's more is the logical but he presents information in a very informative but funny manner as well but we get to the truth of an item and provide almost some type of illness that, and before you go in with a scalpel you go in and from the area and a lot of times schumer is numbing that area. you have a jovial attitude.
8:55 am
i'm always happy about the wife and opportunities that have been afforded and i want to present information that matches my personality. i want to be funny and jovial and happy as much as i can pivot i would say prison those ideas to them in a provocative but it funny way. once you start doing activism on the campus don't try to model the conservative "new york times" of be like the "national review" because you lose your audience in front of you. to want to be provocative but saw the message because it's about marketing. you can see a movie that socked with the tree looked so good to feed many times it is just natural in the students and the message then you go ahead with that truth they wouldn't have considered otherwise aside from that provocative drongen. [applause]
8:56 am
i appreciate always being at young america's foundation conference. i hope he will pick up "hollywood hypocrites." also, because you are a yaf student i have a free ebook for you. it's called seven ways to make a little cry like a little girl. [laughter] i reveal some of my ninja tactics i think you'll love it. you just go to jasonmattera.com. you're going to laugh a lot and you are going to have more ammunition as you go back to your high school campuses. thank you and i hope you enjoy it rest of your time here. [applause] for more information, visit jasonmattera.com
8:57 am
>> what are you reading this summer? book tv wants to know. >> i have five books that are in my queue if you will. i'm reading about 60% of the time on my ipad and 40% of the ty tool hard copy. let me start with my nonfiction. during the last break over winter break i read a book on fdr and the election. there's another that cannot by stanley weintraub called final victory about the campaign. i'm obsessed with this for a number of reasons but why it may be interesting to political junkies in today's time period when you read about thomas you see of mitt romney, the good, bad, all with the issues that you see being talked about mitt romney you see when you read
8:58 am
these books particularly the campaign of 44. so that no one i'm working on. i'm also getting to and other nonfiction books that i've been meaning to read for some time. it's about a friend of mine named don pact. he wrote a book called pinched and was about the great recession, and it's chronicling sort of half its culturally changing us. it's not just in the pocketbooks. but it's what kind of long-term change is taking place in many places round the country, talking about a white male under class is one of his thesis, but it is a good way and i'm thinking about making it required reading frankly for a lot of my folks internally, but like every politician ought to read this and understand because it explains as well as anybody the chronic pessimism that is out there. we see it on all the polls but that is something -- why is it
8:59 am
that we are so pessimistic about the future. we don't have this optimism anymore. we talk about the optimism for our presidential candidates, but there is just a whole of optimism and it's not just necessarily translating in the benefit frankly of one party over the other yet it's been sitting there and it's just sitting on us in this great recession. but we have gone through this before as a country. it takes time to get out of these things and that's why i think penchant is a book folks ought to read. my fiction books, and of course i'm reading the new book, a colleague of mine here, there you've got to love his books they are all good. the fallen angel. it's historical fiction. and i've been plodding through and i will admit it's taken me time and i haven't given up, the stephen king book 112263. another fictional history book. obviously using the kennedy
9:00 am
assassination. plodding through that one all stephen king books, it's never a quick read when it comes to stephen king. anyway, that's what i'm reading this summer. i hope to finish them all before the convention. .. >> host: what do you mean? >> guest: well, everything, i think, boils down to economics.d obviously, there are other factors, but when you get to the
9:01 am
bottom of it, people are talkinu about distribution. who gets what, when, where and why. almost every year i write about the economic legacy ofome dr. martin luther king. economic legacy of doctor martin luther king. people always talk about his i have a dream speech. our children will be treated equally. but they never talk about the part where it says we have come to the nation's capital to cash a check on that check has been marked insufficient funds. that is an economic statement. we talked about the 1%. we are talking about social dissatisfaction, also about distribution. we are talking about mr. mitt romney and his inability to provide his tax return past two years. our society is about who gets what. whether we are talking about environmental justice, why do
9:02 am
you dump the trash and low income neighborhoods? because those folks have less access to lobbyists. if you don't at some place else, would be fighting right away. just reading something about chicago and there is a hospital, the university of chicago wants to turn it into a historic landmark, kind of, and they want to raise it and turn it into a medical center. some of these preservation issues could almost be amusing because it is also way of saying let's maintain the status quo. >> in your book, surviving and thriving, you write, the conflict between participating in a rigged capitalist system and protesting it has been the central tension in my life as an activist. as an economist, you work hard and you get the benefits.
9:03 am
one thing from you understand the unfairness of the system. at the arms and transcend time, you know that if you don't participate in it come you won't get anything. it becomes a complex when you look at the facts. some of my colleagues want to look at the book is a tribute to entrepreneurship. but if you look carefully, i am looking at people who organize people because that is another way of looking at distribution. there was a national and domestic workers union formed back in the '30s. this was stunningly unsuccessful because you had different people and how to get them together. at the same time, that is an economic issue. again, attempting to talk about the rights of people one of the
9:04 am
central tensions of a movie i saw what does she have a boyfriend, and if you do, she doesn't need assistance. so back in the day, that is what happened. looking at the economics, the boyfriend helped pay for the rent. public assistance is doing so. again you have the attention of people who have protested the system and people who are working in. >> who was fannie lou hamer? >> she basically protested the system enormously. she was a hero for many african-american women because of the many ways that she had protested the system. she was being early in her politics career, but she is one of the people in 1968 went to
9:05 am
the floor of the democratic convention. theoretically, there were supposed to be a division between two wings of the democratic party. one of the things i have been working on for the past couple of years and i'm really excited about them as a group of people who are building a statute 200 in her hometown. i have been on the advisory committee helping to raise a little bit of money. but we will be unveiling on october 5. >> in your book, "surviving and thriving: 365 facts in black econimics history", first of all, how did you organize that but? >> there is the fact that they basically. what is said to teachers and others is that you can give people a little bit of information. i didn't really study economic history and they did not teach it in undergrad at mit where i got my doctorate. but there were things that kept
9:06 am
jumping out. first of all, the first black woman to get a phd in economics, and my mentor, doctor phyllis wallace, who is the first woman to graduate with a higher degree and was a professor at mit. a quarter of the people had purchased themselves. then it becomes an economic fact. once you consider that economic fact, you want to look at other facts. african-american people were raised different and know how to survive it. a lot of us are seen at the periphery of the economy. the outside looking in. when you look at these people, they make amazing differences.
9:07 am
>> in that book as well coming out to inventors. the traffic light and the golf team. >> absolutely. >> did those two men get wealthy office inventions? >> no. oftentimes they were working for others. none of them were able to get extremely wealthy. they were paid, but not extremely wealthy. in your first book, perspectives of a mad economist, you write that i don't mind raising hell. i thrive on it. i think of hell raising as a useful endeavor in order to raise hell, you have to be an angry person, and that i am. angry and proud. >> yes, that is a sign that there is something wrong. if you live in our society, there are so many things wrong. that is why that book was written about 1994. at the time, there were a lot of things to be angry about.
9:08 am
the whole motion of wage differentials between men and women as well as the different genes function. at this point in time, they don't necessarily see this. they just want to say that's how it is. there was a member of congress who said if you are unemployed it is because unemployment benefits had made you soft. what i wished for her was unemployment. when you look at how hard and debilitating unemployment is, so many people write about how it bogs it down. especially if you want to work. most people without work once were. my challenge has been to try to be angry about things and not let it carry over to anger in my
9:09 am
personal life. >> one of your books, wall street, main street and the sidestreet coming you write that i am one of those african-americans they can find racism anywhere, in the air, on the ground come in the speed of sound. don't ask me why committed either my altitude or attitude. but more often than i would like to admit, i am persuaded that race matters too much in the way our country is run. >> it does matter even now. this has unleashed a backlash of enormous proportions. and there is a conservative talkshow host who has talked about michelle obama. a lot of us look at that and say
9:10 am
some people would use the term post- racial, but we are not post- racial yet. in so many ways, the trayvon martin case and the number of peoplethat followed him, the fact that george zimmerman was not rest until them months later. i have mentioned environmental justice before. because it is a huge issue. where you put your trash and who actually is the one that has to receive your trash. but even the fact when we look at k-12 education, the fact that young african-americans, especially boys are at the five times the rate of growth, that is a disproportionate reality of girls, just like this to prison and who doesn't. you don't have to be angry because you have attitude. oftentimes you are angry because
9:11 am
it's real and it is literally what real day after day. she said i have to stop reacting to these small typos. >> julianne malveaux company recently sent a tweet congratulating serena williams. but you added, she was there for her country and her country has always been there for her. what did you mean by that? i have had the opportunity to attend many u.s. opens. and oftentimes you sit and watch people in the united states cheer against the williams sisters, which to me, is the height of ignorance and racism. she is representing the united states of america.
9:12 am
if you see venus in the wimbledon, you honor your country. but these young women have experienced a backlash that is almost unspeakable. he didn't think anything except it has something to do with race. >> "wall street, main street, and the side street." when he mean by the site three? remind folks on the trivial economy and the folks that you don't talk about it mainstreet is everybody. the sidestreet is people who are considered everybody. we are talking about economics, paul krugman, i'm recently reading his book, as i was reading one of his chapters, shook my head and said bring in black unemployment. the unemployment rate as we pointed on friday was a .3%. just a pickup.
9:13 am
but mail african-american unemployment went from 14.2 to 14.6. but nobody talks about it. people will not talk about african-american unemployment. there is a report that comes out from the bureau of labor statistics. he says you get up to 15.3%. you are talking about almost 30% unemployment rate. depression level. yet you can watch people dissect unemployment rates, and these things are simply never mentioned. >> and in a recent column you wrote that your website, julianne malveaux.com, republicans aren't -- they are causing high unemployment.
9:14 am
>> there is the jobs at an that was introduced by obama that has a lot of support. the american jobs that will create jobs. there is a lot of unmet need in our society. in my book, "sex, lies, and sterotypes: perspectives of a mad economist", i write about closing the libraries. in the great depression, we did not close the library. in 1996 -- excuse me, 1986, during ronald reagan's presidency, we began to cut back on libraries. it will have to make hard choices. the library that i used to go to is a little girl, it was open every day. now to three days a week.
9:15 am
>> would you grow? >> san francisco. >> wanted to grow their? >> that's where my parents were. my mom was in mississippi and my dad was from louisiana. they met in san francisco we pretty much all grew up there. my baby sister is still there, but i am always the outlier. to how did you get to mit and economics? >> i went to boston college and if i was going to be going to law school. again, i'm the outlier. the wood in my sorority, about a third of them were going to do law. and i thought i would do economics. i has also been encouraged. they had great influence is early on. we had the opportunity to meet a number of people, young people like ourselves, who have been at
9:16 am
mit. at the time, i was an affirmative action baby. the monkey was looking for more african-americans to study economics. affirmative action will open the door, but it will not do anything else. once the doors opened, james brown said open up the door and i will defend myself. you did have to do that. there are a number of phenomenal people do believe that african-americans could do it, and we do. in my class there were four african americans out of 30. that is huge. before there was only one. to have for colleagues to visit regularly, it is an amazing opportunity. >> good afternoon and welcome to booktv on c-span2. this is our monthly program where we feature one author and his or her body of work. this month it is doctor julianne malveaux, author, columnist, former college president, and she will be with us now for the
9:17 am
next two hours or so. if you'd like to dial in and talk to doctor to julianne malveaux, 585, 3881, you can also send doctor julianne malveaux and tweed or e-mail. twitter apple tv with our twitter handle. e-mail is booktv at c-span.org. so you got her phd at mit. what was your first job? >> i worked at the rockefeller foundation and they help support my dissertation research. but i went to the new school for social research to teach. for a that i was doing the teaching thing and enjoying it, also i ran for political office. i did not win, came in ninth. but i got bitten by the
9:18 am
political bug and also the media bug. there was a guy at kgo tv that said, how would you like to do my radio? and that was a lot of fun. meanwhile, fred holborn at usa today said, why don't you do a column for us? that combination push me out of economics were really out of classroom teaching and into some of the media things that i've enjoyed so much. >> "wall street, main street, and the side street" black business and black with us as the chapter. african-americans can make a point and flexor economic muscles by boycotting those who discriminate. that is the bottom line. >> that is the bottom line. african-american people have $900 billion worth of wealth.
9:19 am
depending on who will do the estimate, it might go as low as 850 billion. that is a billion. more than the oil-producing country of niger. if we said we're going to boycott that product, as long as you're supporting that person who should not see the right of day -- light of day, then that person would have to rethink it. look at the recent chick-fil-a pro and con reports. they organize a boycott, but on the right you have these people who say support them by having a chick-fil-a day.
9:20 am
in that case i think it's going to be difficult for chick-fil-a, but when people come together to boycott, it makes a huge whe difference. the original most importantting boycott in black american history the montgomery bus boycott with rosa parks. she sat down, as often is said, so others could stand up. stand up. in sitting down and sparking that boycott, it was amazing in a number of ways. white women who didn't want to lose their mates were actually going to pick them up. that and the expanded comment as well? >> guest: you know, they didn't build it all by themselves, and i think it was taken by
9:21 am
mr. romney well out of context. here is what i think president obama, and i certainly can't speak for him. but even when you look at some of the wall street firms, eve regulation, government investment, any one of a number of other things have gone into producing businesses. now, no one can take away from your individual initiative, but when the president talks aboutay the internet, for example, yount know, al gore didn't invent it, popular to his own belief, but certainly government moneywn funded the way that the internet was developed, initially using it for defense. and then people, once that information came into the public sphere, were able to take thatti and build it., so when you look at -- i'll tell you a funny experience. i worked at the council of economic advisers under jimmy carter, and the chair then was a man named charlie schultz.
9:22 am
she was doing a lot of research for the ior >> guest: was an exclusive ability to import a form of hemp. and there are very few producer of hemp in the united states. but for a social security provision to have written inst there only these few producersr, could deal with it was to create a monopoly for someone. now, if you run from that monopoly, you had governmentme assistance in building thatance monopoly. monopoly. that is what the president i think, meant. in many ways, government investment that people are helped, more business administration by governments, suggesting that nobody didn't build it, you deserve every credit for having it. especially because people often talk about african-americans. lift yourself up by your
9:23 am
bootstraps. doctor mrk has an interesting quote which i can't repeat. he's at first we give you the land and then we gave you teaching so that you knew how to -- and he lists everything, these are the people who pull themselves up by the bootstraps. another great example is the world war ii ferry. .. >> guest: less than 600 african-americans who are allowed to take advantage of the four-year college opportunities. instead they were told to go to trade school, they were told there's a six week barber course. these folks had the ability to
9:24 am
compete, but they didn't have the opportunity because of government. so we talk about, you know, what you did by yourself, let's get real. you were able to amass wealth because the government invested in your wealth. >> host: juliannewe malveaux, wo is deborah perry?st >> guest: deborah perry was: a commentator at the same time that i was on cnn, you know,cn msnbc. she's a republican, and our story is very interesting. we were on the air a lot a together, and we didn't agree o. anything. we'd talk over each other. once soledad o'brien threatened to pull the mic on us. and this was, we came together during impeachment days. so, obviously, we had nothing in common. had but the energy between us was great, so we ended up doing ar number of things together. we had a television program that we were piloting, and we had town halls at both thet
9:25 am
democratic and republicann conventions, and then we put boo that book together, "unfinisheds business." >> host: and how was this book organized? how was -- yeah. >> guest: the ten most important issues women face. we even had to argue about what. those ten most important issues were. but what we basically do is eaci write a chapter on those issues and then try to come to some synthesis on what we agree on.n. and the publisher at one point said you really have to have synthesis, and i remember we both agreed classrooms should be smaller, and that's about as far as we could get. >> host: are you and deborahre perry friends today? >> guest: yeah, we are. she's moved out to the westes. coast.mo she's your original entrepreneur. she's got a web site called betty confidential, and it's doing extremely well.>> h >> host: in the book, "unfinished business," deborah perry writes this, and i want to get can your response.
9:26 am
we'll take her position here. programs such as affirmative action and minority business set asides had their place ine in history when deep-seatedet divisions between blacks and whites equated to palpable inequality. rofoundly held back in american society, first by slavery and then by jim crow and finally bite informal restrictions on where they could live and even whom they can or could not take. it was a crusade between the white population whose ancestors held varying degrees of probability during the dark history of the slave trade house sources the children, grandchildren of former slaves. that was then and this is now. affirmative action now discriminates against the very people it was originally designed to help. >> guest: obviously i disagree with that. deborah made a concession by suggesting we need affirmative action.
9:27 am
if you like it occupational distribution you find places were african american people cannot read. fortune 500 companies, near nonexistent. we will not get as -- to make a will market it to come as quickly as tammy will. the economists have written about this. despite the virtue of the name are excluded. vichy and opportunities for discrimination today. certainly not -- some of the argument, as tense as they were in 1965. you can look at the years, but we really do still see it. we can measure it in any number of ways. we still to need but only affirmative-action, peter, but also measurement around a race of how you end up with such differential. i have written and people have challenged me about what we call
9:28 am
ourselves african-americans as opposed americans. part of it is the are of african descent, but give me the american unemployment rate in the african-american unemployment rate. give me the same level of wealth . african americans lost billions of dollars of wealth. we lost a disproportionate amount. if you give me the opportunity at every other american has, you can call me in american. let me say again i come to this will position of privilege. so it you can't kill warning about discrimination even though it happens. who worries me of the people on the bottom. median family income for whites, $50,000 a year. income for african-americans 31 tons dollars a year. it is a gap, and it is an excess cash. whether you're talking about buying school supplies were her
9:29 am
child, which a lot of people are doing, we're talked about paying tuition. >> host: en "unfinished business" you right, when it can influence consumer market by spending all withholding their dollar and can signal approval or disapproval of international hiring policies with their dollars. the economic pick-up muscle is one that women have relief flexed, yet it is an option if women want to influence aspects of our economy. >> mid the some point earlier. never any number of advertisements that are so demeaning to women. yet we talk about it but don't do much else. a remember, and this is certainly in the 80's. there was a punch. it was an advertising for a drink. basically you can sell anything from automobiles to housing parts by putting a half clad woman on iran.
9:30 am
we need to talk about this and say this is of the acceptable. he built it in right we're going to boycott. years ago michael jackson had a song that used the slur against the jewish people. he and a clean version and that version. jewish people went crazy. they said he can't do this. he was forced to change the song to basically eliminate this letter. no one is cosigning slurs against anybody. that is a power of a community who spoke up brushes the power of a community who except the slur in doesn't about a. >> host: julianne malveaux is the author of four books. wall street, main street, and the side street, in an economist takes a stroll. unfinished business, the ten most important issues women face today. that is co offered by debra
9:31 am
perry, as we discussed during the year. finally, our most recent, surviving and thriving of black economic history. you have edited other books are written for words for the books as well such as products of loyalty. >> one of my favorite things and we did. an edited volume that came after september 2011. and basically, again, the african-american perspective was also often ignored. various people have various talk about that. but i remember on september 11th watching television and helping that an african american commentator would be included in the mix. at the end of the day dr. my angelou was on talking about healing. throughout the day there was very little that was written
9:32 am
about african-american people in the tunnel reactions. african american people had gone to war and on number of other things. the paradox of loyalty comes by a book where they have a whole chapter the talks about american patriotism and how difficult it is to be a patriot in the country that discriminates against you. many african american people were stopped without reason. so were many latinos, but you see at airports the differential treatment. why is this happening? >> host: finally come will we go to calls a want to ask about a story you tell. a great assignment, but you did not it could your classmates did >> oh, yes. i think might have been in the
9:33 am
fourth and fifth grade. they said to write about the european country the confront. and the nun, she said night you. you know, my mom check on me where is your homework. i don't have any. why not? well, they're riding with the european countries and you come from. i didn't know that i had that many black folks. irish, macintoshes and family name. mcelroy. she went back to school and told the teacher that these are all the european countries she comes from. unfortunately -- >> host: you put your hand and eye off from work. >> guest: i was thrilled. >> host: what is the importance of the story? >> guest: biracial. in britain before president obama was elected, but most
9:34 am
african american people are not pure african. many have indian blood, white blood. we know about, for example, thomas jefferson and sally hemming, which is an interesting story because some people choose to say they were in love. i don't can. it is kind of an unequal relationship. what do you say when you're having a meeting? not tonight. i don't think so. it is an unequal situation. oftentimes, race or properly. you don't have the right to decline. the bottom line is, however it happened you end up with people who have an array of skin color. for people, of one drop rule, in louisiana if you have one drop of one you are of african descent. multiracial.
9:35 am
been that way since we have been year, 1619. toby davis of multiracial, by racial is something that just happened the other day. when you look at many, many african-american people you will find the product african descent, but also the notion that there are others that contributed to how we get here. >> host: you're watching book tv on c-span2. this is our monthly "in-depth" program. author and commentator twitter.com/booktv is our guest this month. please go ahead with your question or comment. >> caller: good afternoon. >> guest: how are you? >> caller: thank you for c-span2. i e-mail because i have some statistics on party which were very bothersome because the difference was very much in those statistics from the cdc and from the u.s. since the sparrow. the biggest contributing factor was the absence of marriage.
9:36 am
marriage trump the probability of child party by 80%. in an e-mail i sent you i was asking the you know, are you aware that the black population and 70 percent out of wedlock births and the cdc reports the black use to five black youths engage in sex at higher rates than their white and hispanic peers and also to enter a just and that they have more negative consequences. for us, conservatives, we would like to -- we believe very cool and can be taught to exercise of control and not engage in the behavior that causes them to be trapped in poverty, that causes them to have as tv's, causes a lot of the five of those households. much higher incidence of criminal behavior. and sure that there is more black on black crime. school dropout rates.
9:37 am
>> host: at the we have a lot on the table there's the tomb of it basically a question. she's absolutely right about party differentials for white poverty line. it causes you can someone dispute although some of them arsenic true. if you have to burners you're more likely to have access. i think the conversation about premarital sex is a national conversation. one might suggest that more white kids have more access to birth control than many african-american. let me finally say, the whole notion of fatherlessness, which comes up a lot, as both correct and a stereotype. there were two conversations that made me trouble. the whole conversation about her
9:38 am
hair, but the other, her father is between afghanistan and iraq. this notion, the fun still has a phenomenal impact. let me say come my mom raised five of standing in people who are now outstanding middle-age or old people. a ph.d., to mbas, a law degree, to master's degrees. my parents divorced when i was six years old. let's not run around with the stereotypes. i think there are limiting. the conservatives want to wrap round this because in some ways it really reinforces the perception of inferiority. >> host: we just showed a picture. is still in san francisco. >> guest: she is. eighty-four years and keeping. >> host: her health. >> guest: she's a pistol. the apple of fall far from the tree.
9:39 am
that lady is a serious pest. >> host: an economist that her ph.d. at mit. indianapolis. surely, good afternoon. >> caller: good afternoon to you. i got on. i am one of europe's biggest fans. i admire your work. plus, have had the pleasure of meeting you at the cbc a few times. anyway, my -- when you were talking about fannie lou, the party was mississippi freedom. you said it was missing teeth and he had begun to of the words mississippi freedom democratic party. head of the delegation. my question to you is, if you could give economic advice to mr. romney and president obama, with that the? >> guest: thank you for the
9:40 am
question. generate jobs, generate jobs, generate trump's. a lot people say we can't go into debt. what we knew for sure is that we have a of the restriction needs that can be improved. people who have jones and katrina into social security. it breaks my heart when i see and people who are unemployed. former college president watching orient people achieving his or window. it almost permanently scarred and led the market. you will do well, but never catch up. figure out ways to generate jobs. i think mr. britney has ignored that to a great extent. president obama has paid more attention, but he has not been able to get could legislation
9:41 am
through which has impeded what is going on with the unemployment rate of over 8% which is highly. of this we have averaged. still a lot higher than we would like. >> host: did you tell her things were her scholarship and ask her why she resigned from her presidency? be too picky. how you doing. we did so curriculum transformation. entrepreneurship, global studies the number of him woman who followed abroad increased i got a 10% under my. you know, at some point you look and say, how can you top that? in addition, frankly, my health was not what it ought to be. i engaged in a lot of self neglect you cannot bring the
9:42 am
kindle a bowfins. >> host: what and where is bennett college? >> guest: it historic be back to the black college for women, one of to look it in greensboro, north carolina. a fantastic school with an amazing history. i'm just unplugging after five years and three months. i still say we had some gloves an all-time. these women who might be considered an african american women bougie woman what hundred the carolina theatre in the 1930's. segregated. these women did not want to sit in the crow's nest. you have to see these pictures of these women with their hats on.
9:43 am
everyone talks about the greens were 04, for an outstanding man who went to north carolina right across the street from the college. very few people talk about the women who were part of the protest. many of those women were put it college women. i bet that many colleges sent more than 50. you had 670 students. for 50 go represents a 9 percent of your student population. very much a part of our nation's history. very privileged to serve there. happy to go. very happy to leave because you know when your parents time. >> host: speaking of economics, what is higher education costs for the customer >> guest: that is an
9:44 am
interesting question. these people know hitting 60 in the year. we look at a restored print black colleges there are regular bargain. >> host: it sounds like a lot of money. >> guest: it is. making 31,003 your, many colleges students are first generation and we really are looking at a lot of money. $23,000 on average. you're looking at a major investment. of upside is, someone who's the college will learn about a million dollars more than someone who does not. this is an issue of return on investment. congress has looked carefully at some of these colleges. higher than the rate of inflation. i was always careful to put in context with what inflation was.
9:45 am
and i think the reason why college is so expensive varies by the college. we have professors who teach to class and spend an enormous amount of time with richard. you have to ask if so to return to leyna. should not part of the salary be attributed to the research but it as well as the teaching budget so that somehow you get those tuition's down to network and you tell a story that students are involved in. and the event of research is someone that is ignored in many college campuses, and it's critical that you want to get more young people involved. >> host: next call from atlanta, linda. good afternoon. you're on book tv on c-span2. >> caller: good afternoon. i have been following you for some time. a very big fan of your work. i wanted to mention about the unemployment rate and the fact,
9:46 am
basically, what is the solution? we can talk all day about the unemployment rate. what is it that -- in know, lowering it for some reason. it seems to be stuck. a lot of people talk about jobs. what is the basic solution of lowering the amount on a great? >> guest: great question command and glad you asked it. we have sent look at education and access to education. there is a gap between the number of african americans and people in the to college. 30 percent for white americans, about 18 percent for african-americans. why don't in people bill? some of them want to wait. they want to kind of test themselves and not in the labour market doing the things. a lot of functions don't have the money.
9:47 am
the number of people have gradually from community college of want to transfer. and still has always been very low. we know that an educated person is more likely to have the lower unemployment rate and one of their counterparts who is working class, at the bottom of the distribution. the other thing that we might want to talk about this discrimination and labor markets and how that shows up, but if we look at today the ways that we really could transform our economy is by investing in it, and by investing and mean, there are a number of projects that we could use. after-school care. lots of teachers would be very will complete. when we stop giving money to state and local government, the number of teachers who have been laid off in the past year its into the six figures. when our country invests, then
9:48 am
you have possibility. i don't want to say that higher education is. in the 60's and 70's unit connections between trade unions and people in his school's of the people between to the plumbers, electricians, the kind of things that generate salaries that are quite competitive. that is an interesting fact. we ought to do more about vocational trading. linking vocational training to employment. >> host: try to keep up with the e-mails. what is your opinion on the state of higher education in terms of global competitiveness? for example, the overproduction of liberal arts degrees verses the hard science which has a great question. we look at engineering, for example, the united states generated a statistic that the
9:49 am
congressman shared with me. about 75,000 advanced degrees in engineering. that might sound like a lot, but in india the number was roughly 300,000. in china the number was perfect but thousand. some of these countries are investing. they're doing it poorly. there is an economist out there that will tell me that a chinese degree is not the equivalent of u.s. to agree. at the bottom line, they're given the scent and of engineering we are. when you looked at his desk will education in a number of cities the science lab in just not there. and people are not necessarily being encouraged. at the same time i am a big proponent of liberal arts education.
9:50 am
invited dr. martin the beginning in 1957 and said, our colleges teach us not what to think, but how to think. i think in liberal arts education could lead to a number of places of perhaps a graduate and professional school, policy analysis. i went to law school, with terror number of studies that suggest the rate of return on law schools is not what we like to be. i don't think it's bad that we have the room art majors. >> host: million. please go ahead with your question and comment. >> yes. i would like to comment on something that i have talked about as a solution to the unemployment. the first thing is come home, america has to be a global economy? why can't we be independent and
9:51 am
self-sufficient and not be it the lens of foreign governments? number two, the federal reserve pay printer national, a privately held stock corporations. our defense department has not been audited. building schools in afghanistan. schools with water running down the walls. i guess i want to know why we are letting illegal immigrants come in and a million legal every year when we're bankrupt. why don't we bull -- will account for an macon's. into, and that's like your opinion. >> guest: the me begin with your question about globalization. you can say you don't like it. i always tell people, you may not like the sunrise, but it's going to come. we're intertwined from the time we employed the first and fifth
9:52 am
person, the time that we began to fight with the brits about independents. we have been intertwined. traders of and it's going to happen. it's not anything that we can take away. what we can do is be more competitive here ask the question earlier about stem. we could be more competitive. we're not going to stop. the flexing you want to stop the tide. talking about ways we train together. with your afghanistan, i am with you on the number of things that we created in other countries that we cannot create here. building hospitals while on a brooklyn new york or some other places there are very few hospitals. school infrastructure is crumbling. i am with you there, but i don't think the culprit is undocumented people who come to this country.
9:53 am
and indeed, when we talk to our globalization and economic opportunities exist unless their great opportunities people are going to come here because of the continuous border. you don't know is a rash of canadians. better health care systems, which is a competitive. we looked at some of this things. very easy to blame a lot of things on undocumented people. i choose to use the word and document as opposed to illegal immigrants because they are undocumented. remember, california used to be part of mexico. one of the point. men on the point. >> host: pretty comprehensive answer. we can move on.
9:54 am
wall street, main street, and the side street. the half to the other angry or crazy or some combination thereof to interpret economic data and keep a level head. some days i want to scream at the bifurcation and try vacation in this country, the double standards, the triple meetings, the way the rich get richer, the poor poorer, and the rest of us more complacent. i want to scream. instead the right. that was 1998 in a conversation we're having today. >> guest: and matt economist is an angry one. looking at the data and deciding that this is not right. looking at the numbers as we have talked about and just, how do we get to this place. we look at the 99 percenter, the occupy movement, these are young people. most of them are caucasian, but the come from a variety of backgrounds are doing the same
9:55 am
thing. its new chief of the raise living standards. and so people who could have bought a house, started a business, could have done something, have no opportunity and watch the housing market point downwards among whites $127,000 by 2007. much of that wealth was a function of homeownership. by 2011 of went down by 50,000 owners to 77 tons in dollars. the numbers for african-americans are far more dire, and there was a study recently done that showed the average black woman who headed the household had wealth of
9:56 am
$125, median wealth of $125, and that is a scary statistic. >> host: here is another tweet. ec see sigma tau. i don't know if that is a sorority or fraternity or what. this person is asking, in your opinion of the 2010 government study that concluded head start provides no significant benefit after the first grade. >> guest: had stressed that is a very interesting. that means that there have been coming in and not familiar with the study. unfamiliar with the earlier studies that show the benefits of head start continue to be measured until about the third grade. what does that suggest? we need more outside classrooms, interventions three and p from the first grade them. people improve their opportunities and had their opportunity. the look of some data the suggests that african-american
9:57 am
parents are somewhat less likely to read to their children and white parents. some data that suggests that weight homes have almost twice the number of books that african-american homes to. of course they have not been to my house. some of this is culture, but frankly part of this is access and dollars. you look at some of those things. what had star has done is supplement low income children, not just african american, but will in come by providing them with extra classroom activities or in the case of very young people and go to a head start, three, four, and five year-old, opportunity to expand horizon. is it only works until the first grade, i'm okay with it, but that makes a suggestion about extracurricular activity. >> host: at bethany in brooklyn, good afternoon to you. you are on with julianne malveaux. >> caller: could afternoon. i'm so glad i got through.
9:58 am
single mother. raised four kids. the first and my family to graduate from college. i am a little choked up because i was a head start kid. my mother had to work two jobs. we were allowed to go to the library. now they're disappearing because of funding, and we were able to bring books home, take them out, do what we needed to do. i was also bust out from inner-city schools which were horrible, to the suburbs or the did not want to us. we had protests. the last thing i want to say, c-span, please put a title there. her name is dr. julianne malveaux. you guys are great. you must give her deference and respect for her title. i really insist on that. one other thing, elizabeth
9:59 am
warren was making a comment in the speech about the fact that the roads and police protection and all these other services provided by the government and municipalities help people who have the businesses. he was referring to other services which help you to the run your business. he did not mean you don't build alone. people stop listening to the rhetoric of the republican party . had star works. i am proof of it. you can make it in this country, and you have to believe in yourself and you have to read. read, read, read. turn off the television and read thank you so much for your services, dr. julianne malveaux. >> guest: thank you, and congratulations on being the first one in your family to finish college. that is always an accomplishment you hit on a number of things. the bottom line is, the government is not

144 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on