Skip to main content

tv   Key Capitol Hill Hearings  CSPAN  October 15, 2014 2:30pm-4:31pm EDT

2:30 pm
be disproportionate to that if you take a very simple picture and say the rate of the vaccine acceptance is proportionate to the level of the infection and the growth rate in the vaccine acceptance is proportional to the level the rate of the infection decreases with the level of the vaccine then you get oscillations so it's like the yellow yellow diet -- yo-yo diet. i lose a lot of weight and get sloppy about my diet. but when i get heavy enough i get serious and my vigilance increases and you get the vigilance and complacency. a huge number but one of them is in the vaccine uptake into --
2:31 pm
what did i do ask the same with adherence to medications we see the sort of behavior typically and if you imagine they have the same behavior then you do get oscillations and that is what we got in 1918, the cycles of the complacency that produced ongoing outbreaks and i think even with the advent of the vaccine in the countries where there is a lot of skepticism and reviews of this trust you can expect the cycles of this sort. this is what happened in chicago. practically out of the words that only a few invectives but it only takes a few to reignite. so when you pour the susceptible song to those remaining you get
2:32 pm
outbursts. okay. the global spread. let's talk about this and then i will rack up. the incubation period is unfortunate for this. the statistics suggest the average incubation period is like ten days and that is sad news. the basic idea is that joe gets infected in liberia monday, ghost of airport tuesday, has no fever or other symptoms he passes the exit screening, lands in china, passes the screening and develops symptoms a week later so the screening is great but it doesn't contain us off because of this incubation period during which you can pass the screening. we have been using the global scale agent model and have developed the only planetary scale agent-based infectious
2:33 pm
disease model and it runs six and a half billion individuals on the planetary transportation system. john is the pei and this is not a toy model, far from it and it's been published in the journal record and also featured in nature. the thing about this model is, you know, there is randomness in randomness in the way that things spread around the world. it's not -- it is in which the precise detail of what happened there for one to one. you start to think with the same configuration each time with exactly the same infection situation we have in africa then we run the global transportation
2:34 pm
many times and try to build up a portrait of how things spread buzz among the things the model generates oddly enough our spread but again that is one model, one realization and it also has the models where you get the introduction in new york and istanbul and in lots of different places. so there are many possible projectors but the introductions in the countries are likely. nobody running global models and there are a couple of groups but, you know it would appear in spain or germany and it would appear in the united states
2:35 pm
that's not surprising to people that run these models but the numbers are huge and the number of people traveling is huge so it's not shocking that we will get cases in the developing world. in the united states one of the things of what can i do you can get a flu shot because that will cut the background noise of the symptoms and help the clinician to be more effective in their treatment of. it will it'll amplified signal ratio and you don't want everybody with a sniffle coming in thinking that they have ebola to prevent that and get the flu shot and it will help to sort this out. intermediate countries with with high higher been published in density and low standards of public health are at the highest
2:36 pm
risk, higher risk than the developed countries. just to wrap up the main points that can be avoided. the models suggest the mobilizing recovery is a promising intervention but ebola is unlikely to disappear into the cycles are probably going to continue as they have for 40 years driven by the evolution of persistence of animal reservoirs and behavior. the cycles of complacency, vaccine refusal i think those will persist even when we have a vaccine. incubation incubation had the vaccine. incubation mix of widescreen portraits. it's important to do but sustained u.s. transmission strikes me as unlikely that i think it is good to get a flu shot continue worldwide
2:37 pm
vigilance is the central sensual and that is what the global models say is that everyone is at risk. so all these countries should be vigilant. it is safe group immediately funded by unicef but it also involves the girl. co- -- vitter at correlation. david is the co- week will chair of international health and the emergency medicine also and i have lots of colleagues from all over the school all over the university university and a number of people from my center. elsewhere in the university we do work closely with the
2:38 pm
virginia tech modeling team. i think hopkins should be the flagship for the model of the global infectious disease and other global public health challenges. and the building models all of the scales are informed by think wonderfully by the really great clinicians and epidemiologists, fueled practitioners, local governments, international ngos. so, ebola is -- i think that we have stepped up and it's allowing us the multi-school infrastructure for the global health challenges generally. i think that is one of the beneficial outcomes of the meetings like this and the crisis like the one that we are trying to deal with. so with all of that, thank you very much. [applause] >> for more about the outbreak
2:39 pm
watch our companion network c-span tomorrow afternoon for the cdc director tom friedman's testimony before the house energy and commerce oversight subcommittee. that is live at noon. a bit of news today on the ice is from the joint chiefs of staff, military leaders from the u.s. and that the 22 nations gathered at the joint base and raise for the latest in the series of coalition meetings on isis strategies. leaders up to the regional conditions in the terrorist and to terrorist groups, momentum and propaganda. they acknowledge the coalition's military efforts will not be decisive but will contribute to overall success.
2:40 pm
here's a look at campaign ads running in the state. >> as governor, charlie crist talks of 800,000 jobs in on the other hand, rick scott created hundreds of thousands of jobs and it is predicted that he will create 1 million by 2018. a vote for rick scott is a vote for more floridians of prospering the free-market economy. rick scott for jobs, for florida, for governor. >> rick scott is blaming me for the financial crisis? here's the truth it wasn't caused by neo are you. you know who caused it, greedy wall street bankers and corporate takeovers. in other words, the guys like rick scott. his company committed outright fraud. so, when you see it adds remember come it was those like rick scott that crashed our economy.
2:41 pm
i am charlie crist and i work for you, the people. i always have and i always will. >> this isn't just the doorway to a school. it was my doorway as a public school kid for opportunity. and i want to make sure every child has the same chance for a better life. but rick scott's education cuts are closing the door on kids spending almost $200 less per student than when i was governor. into cutting the bright futures scholarships in half. when i was governor, we brought both parties together to open up the doors of opportunity, not close them. and together, we can do it again. >> sponsored by lets get to work. just the other day. >> do you think that obamacare has irreparably harmed floridians? >> i think it's been great. >> they say 300,000 health plans were canceled and obama says patients may lose their doctors. the federal government says let's work for american jobs. great. obamacare may be great for jobs
2:42 pm
political career but it's not good for the rest of us. >> see the debate for this live from miami at 7 p.m. eastern on our companion network c-span. the next, the first debate in california's 21st house district between the incumbent republican david valadao and democratic challenger amanda renteria. the rothenberg political report
2:43 pm
rates the base as leaning republican. this 50 minute debates took place in bakersfield california last week and it comes courtesy of kget-tv. >> from your local headquarters for 21st congressional district debate between incumbent republican david valadao in a challenger, democrat amanda renteria. live with moderators jim scott, 17 news, and your local election headquarters. a 21st congressional district debate starts now. >> a good evening and welcome to this live 21st congressional candidates debate. being seen here on a kget-tv 17 and a bakersfield county area and on ksee-tv 24. we are also streaming live on the website cummings or central valley.com as well as golden
2:44 pm
empire. as we welcome congressman david valadao as well as his challenger, democrat amanda renteria. >> moderator: for reference sake let's take a look at the 21st congressional district. both candidates would like to represent in the 114 congress located in the southern half of california's central valley the 21st congressional district is comprised of kings county, western fresno county, southwestern leiria county and northwestern kern county. now, some brief background on the candidates if you will. republican congressman david valadao was born and raised in hamburg and his family immigrated from the islands of portugal to the united states in 1969. mr. valadao attended local schools and graduated from high school in 1995 and later attended the college of sequoia. his father started a small dairy farm in the central valley in 1973 that has grown now into two dairies and 1,000 acres of
2:45 pm
farmland. mr. valadao has taken on leadership roles in the california milk advisory board and the western states dairy trade association. he was also elected as the regional leader, council chairman for the land o lak inc. fortune 200 company.renterc challenger amanda renteria was born and raised in what might a small town of 15 miles west. she's a former high school teacher and first latino to serve as a chief of staff in the united states senate. she graduated high school as close as the valedictorian in 1992 and went to stanford where she earned a ba and an onyx and a ba in political science with honors. renteria a a masters degree from harvard business school and served as the chief of staff for the michigan senator debbie stabenow from the 2008 to 2015. >> moderator: a coin toss to determine who will go for us tonight. amanda renteria one that claims off. she has elected to go first and will also speak for us during
2:46 pm
the closing statement. >> moderator: as for the opening statement of our going to be 90 seconds long. the closing each will have 60 seconds for that. each candidate will get 90 seconds to answer each question. the other candidates will then have 60 seconds for a rebuttal. >> moderator: amanda renteria, you have the floor. renteria: thank you everyone for being here and the stations and everyone tuning in. it's wonderful to be with you tonight. i am coming as i said earlier i was born and raised in berkeley california, a little town in central valley. and i became the first woman from my high school to go to stanford university. i went on to harvard business school and i actually started a public service as a teacher right here in the county. most recently, i got the chance to be a part of making a difference by writing the farm bill as the chief of staff for senator where the chairwoman of the agriculture committee. but it is an honor to be here and the reason i'm running is
2:47 pm
because it's not about being the first in all these instances. it's making sure that i'm not the last and making sure every kid that grows up just like me can dream big and do whatever they choose to do in life. the truth is i've gone around knocking on doors and it's not quite as easy anymore. we have a lot of crisis and an education crisis, we have immigration issues and job issues into the reason i know i can make a difference is because i tried my best to get the experience needed to truly bring people together and solve these problems so i ask for your vote tonight to make sure that we can solve these issues and take the directions are thank you for having me here. >> moderator: david valadao? valadao: thank you to both stations hosting. my name is david valadao and i've had the opportunity to represent this area, the us two years in congress. i've taken some pretty important steps to make sure that we solve the crisis and we worked on 3964
2:48 pm
which is being negotiated now to see if we can give someone the president's desk. i've been a leader on immigration reform and also on the family i've worked on making sure that my kids are very happy and very well taken care of and i do my best to be a good father and spend time at home with my kids. when you look at the opportunities we have in life we want to make sure that we do everything for our children and for our families to make sure we have the best opportunities. when my parents came to this country they did this for us, my brothers, the next generation and i'm very proud of my background. the son of an immigrant, part of a business and ran a business and also someone that has employees that are like family and i don't watch a lot of those kids go through and graduate college and go on to have successful careers of their own and i've had the opportunity to be a part of that through my life and now i actually have the chance to set policies that can make sure that happens for more. >> thank you very much.
2:49 pm
there is a considerable amount of national attention on this race which is pretty rare for the congressional race in the central valley. c-span is actually going to carry this tomorrow. that says something that this is one but this is one of the few contested races in california congressional districts the voters here two years ago elected republicans represent the 21st congressional district which democrats had a double-digit advantage in the voter registration here in this district and despite what the recent voter surveys say that showed that mr. valadao is ahead to commit the democratic party believes that he is a person that can unseat mr. valadao in november so something to think about as we move forward. you have the first question. >> moderator: let's talk about water off the bat. a huge issue we will talk about for a little bit. there is legislation to address the drought in california that has been passed in the house and
2:50 pm
the senate and those are now in the conference committee. the house bill is offered by you. the senate bill by dianne feinstein. amanda you've been very critical of the congressman's bill. why is that? renteria: congressman valadao wants us to be be that he is the leader on water but there's a couple of issues. first of all there is zero funding in the bill. when it was first introduced it was totally partisan and in fact in bakersfield california they said it made no sense. senator feinstein, someone you need to make sure we get the waterville -- what i've learned in my time and working in the united states senate is you've got to bring people together and you can't start off partisan. it truly needs to be bringing everyone together. i've had an experience in doing that on the auto industry was having a tough time going through the crisis what i saw
2:51 pm
and i was a part of is truly bringing people together than making the case why it mattered and that's what we need to do on water we need to be able to bring the delegation together and show this country that this isn't just a central valley problem but it's a state problem and country problem and the problem because at the end of the day if you are eating food we are a part of this and not enough people know that and i look forward to be up to bring those skills to make sure we actually have a real solution. >> moderator: she says your bill is divided. valadao: is a bipartisan bill that had support from both sides of the aisle. my bill was controversial within to follow but the issue that strikes me is the only part that is controversial is the part that helps people the most. you go to east bakersfield all the way to fresno and all of the
2:52 pm
communities rely on the current canal. we lost about water because of a lawsuit that was funded by the attorney and went on until the congress finally gave up so they came up to the settlement and we are now seeing that they were bound to the communities. anybody that believes they are divisive if you're going to continue to watch the farmers suffer and go broke and not have water for their households and communities in general, delano is in the process right now of building more wells to raise the water rate. those are all the things happening because of that lawsuit the lawsuit and my legislation fixes that. if that device is the son to the people that live here and need that water it's completely reasonable. >> moderator: let's be clear if we could. your bill is really not about the funding aspect, as it is
2:53 pm
about perhaps easing some of the regulations and possibly reforming the policy with respect to the endangered species act. is that what your bill is about and that is what i would assume. valadao: the problem i have with washington is the way to solve problems is to throw money at it and to bring some common sense that allows more to bring the west side of the valley into that ridiculous settlement so it can come along the east side and take care of the communities it is a reasonable act and i also have some plans to help address the issues with what is happening in the delta smelt so it is a the company's bill that takes care of all sides of the argument in anything that is looked at as divisive as with a challenge to point out specifically what the solution is to fix it and not just the talking points. >> moderator: what don't you answer his question
2:54 pm
renteria: is about a process when you bring people together at you have to bring them together at the very beginning and that's what i believe. if the congressman's bill could pass, i'm all for it. if it can bring a large swath of democrats and republicans from all sides in all different regions, i'm for it. the congressman valadao's bill has an answer, four years ago when he joined the assembly, or an answer right when he got to the house of representatives, i'd be all for it. the problem is that it's not. it hasn't brought a single drop of water. and when i've gone around and and asked people do you want to solve this problem, let's do it together, here's how you do it you got to bring people together from the beginning. it's not throwing rocks at one another. and on that note, on that note had any member when i was working on the crisis had the congressman from detroit actually thrown rocks at the congressman from some other place in michigan we would be buying cars from china right
2:55 pm
now. but instead, there were leaders that from the very beginning brought everyone together to solve the problem and that's what we need. >> moderator: valadao: yes i have to make is involved in by rachel to democrats and yes they voted for it and yes, you talk to democrats here in the valley and they liked this policy. the way you fix problems as you bring your ideas to the table. don't just talk about sitting around the table to bring people together, bring your ideas, show us what you believe and then negotiate and i strongly belief that is the way that it works in the real world. talking about it in a circle about the feelings or how well we get along that we actually had a bipartisan bill that passed and we are negotiating in the senate now and so there is a room full of both sides of the idle working together but you have to start with ideas and solutions. my bill does that. >> moderator: i interviewed you a couple of weeks ago and you said you don't care about the little fish.
2:56 pm
i want to know do you care about the big fish? you're talking about the delta smelt with my great and then causes the pumps to shut down on the delta. do you care about the big fish like the salmon and i ask that because both the feinstein bill and the valadao bill call for the maximizing water deliveries across the delta through the cross delta canals or channels and to the extent that it could impact migrating patterns which is a pretty big industry in the delta, would you then support that? and if so where was the place you in the environmental army of the, the area can democrats, the party who are staunchly opposed to any intrusion on the endangered species act which is? renteria: writeup about coming to the table to have a discussion it is actually actionable. it's not just talk and it's not
2:57 pm
just feelings. it's truly saying how did you solve a problem and i have been a part of doing that. so, i would like to mention that. now, on the big fish and the little fish, i actually am not worried about either of them and that is -- when i think about this is the wrong question. the right question is who can get it done, who can actually make sure that we can have a real solution here? i have no allegiance to any which a lot of people like to say. i believe in having solutions. it's what i've done. it's with my experience has been and i know that we can do if we have the right kind of leaders who can bring people together and that is what i've done and i will do it again. valadao: there is a chapter in my bill that actually helps protect the fish. the large mouth bass were an endangered species introduced in the delta and continue today to eat baby salmon and the delta smelt. so for those of you that are actually concerned, should actually like my bill because we do address, we do bring a solution to the table and we say
2:58 pm
here is how we are going to fix it. we have this fish that is evasive and isn't native to the d-delta that's been introduced for recreational purposes it hopes to address the issue. again, the solution on the table that we can talk about that makes sense and actually solves problems. >> okay we are going to go to break that i have to ask you both yes or no answer here, do you favor the california water wax valadao: yes. renteria: on the first one to do so, yes. >> moderator: we are going to take a break and come back to immigration after this break. ♪ >> moderator: welcome back here on the 21st congressional debate. we have congressman david valadao and amanda renteria joining. thanks for being here. we appreciate it. we asked our viewers to say upon your mind. we got an e-mail and joy asks in
2:59 pm
regards to illegal immigration, i am a middle-class single woman and i'm tired of the amount of taxes i pay to watch some of it going to benefits given to illegal immigrants. i would like to know what the word illegal means to you. we will start with you. valadao: means that someone came to the country without documents and it is pretty clear the problem that we face today is that we do have an immigration system that needs to be fixed and again, we've come out and worked on the issue one of the few that know how to work across the aisle to make sure that the result is a system that works and is fair and a border that is secure and a system that is fair for all of the american workers out there so that they are not worried about someone undercutting them but at the same time the agricultural committee you have to make sure you have a system that works. and we suffered for years because back in the 60s, the program that was here was taken away. and we have never had a
3:00 pm
replacement for it and we need to come up with a system that works. so, we are going to continue to work to find systems that can work for our agriculture and our nation. .. when you think about that as a teacher and you think about that impact and when you look across,
3:01 pm
it affects every single person in the classroom, our entire district, actually the entire country. there are two problems on this issue, one he voted against the california dream act. taking help from those kids and going to college because it's so hard ago. the second is when there was that moment to sign for immigration reform, to vote on immigration reform bill, he chose not to sign. and when you think of that and you think of the affect and effect it has on our community, businesses and families, it's just that someone i can trust on immigration reform. transfer would you like to respond? valadao: yes. h.r. 15 has my name on the bill. what she's talking to is the political game that was done and democrats continue to do that in washington with the petition. at the end of the day everything that happens with immigration has to be done at the federal level. what happened in sacramento two, three, four years ago doesn't
3:02 pm
matter. what happens today is the federal government does its job to make sure we pass a system that works. i've been one of the leaders on the issue, one of the ones that is approached by both sides of the aisle. leadership trust me on this issue and the democrats are willing to work with me as a year ago when one of the members of congress, probably a don't get along with a whole lot just because of what his politics are at, but on immigration we do really well. he came there and did a town hall in the district for me to talk with immigration and how we can work together on this issue. it's impressive because not very many places can you point to an example of a democrat coming to republican's district and saying good things about them. that happen in my case because i am right on this issue and it's an issue we can work across the aisle credit for the house majority leader supports a step-by-step process. you have parted ways with him and a number of this gop colleagues when it comes to securing the border first. where do you find fault with that approach? valadao: i don't have a problem with those securing the border
3:03 pm
first. the legislation i signed onto has a component that starts with border security. the step-by-step approach is just because they want to take each chapter on itself which is fine but my problem is where to start taking those steps. i've been putting pressure leadership. we will walk through and make sure we continue to put pressure so we can finally take that first step. renteria: on what i should like to respond to really important things that were said. here in california the dream act doesn't matter, is incredibly scary. we can't get those kids back. i know how hard it is to go to college, and to not have that kind of financial aid to get you there, for a lot of families in this district that's everything. for a lot of families that's the only way off the economic ladder. and so does matter, congressman. it does matter. trust me. i also when we talk about people making promises to the
3:04 pm
communities here and saying i'll do everything i can, that means signing even though it might get your friends upset come that means signing are immigration reform. it's not a political stunt when you're showing the community you care about that. and so i will certainly work on immigration reform. >> moderator: do you think -- you don't think he's done enough, the congressman when it comes to influencing the people on this side of the aisle. renteria: and the proof is in the result. how many friends as the congressman brought on to sign this bill? he talks about having influence are working on it but i don't see it and it's one of the reasons why the fresno bee commented on he is more interested in his leadership, his partisan politics than leadership and was on really understand the needs of the constituents. valadao: the funny thing about this is this is i signed onto that, i was attacked from the left. i was attacked from the right and a new i was going to get
3:05 pm
attacked from the right by some people would look about politics and want to work across the aisle. a lot of the supporters came out and did as, protests and a lot of different things and that shows the rest of the congress, the ones were considering, the ones right there, no. if i'm going to jump and they're not going to work with me. there's no reason to go down this path. it's too bad because this is a real issue. i am one of the guys in the forefront of this and then the fight to make sure it has to get done right. it has to get done for the right reasons. not because of a campaign issue but because it's the right thing to do and it has to be done right and it has to be done through the legislative process credit for immigration is a political football that's been kicked back and forth all through this election cycle by both sides of the aisle. let me see if i can nail you down on a timeline. we are -- what you do first? some say we have to secure the border first in order to prevent another wave of immigration
3:06 pm
without a secure border, another wave of immigration that would come upon us as we open the doors to a path to citizenship, or amnesty as some people would call it. so where do we start? what is your timeline, amanda renteria, for a conference approach to immigration of what comes first? securing the border, defining the election process and the path to citizenship for what? renteria: this is why h.r. 15, the bipartisan bill done in the senate, i think this is why it's so important to pass it because you people working on this for decades, got to do the timing exactly right. when you read the bill and you look at all the different steps from securing the border to paying penalties to making sure you have the appropriate place in line, that's what is so important to keep this package. i talk about this often. when we did the farm bill if you
3:07 pm
did crop versus crop or you said we will do this program for these guys first and then we'll do that, it would fall apart. the beauty of this bill and the reason what it needs to pass and needs to pass out is because everyone is together. everyone is together except for we don't have a leader who can go out and get more friends to sign on, that can get more people, that can be effective in making sure people understand what's going on the ground with our families come with our economy and with our businesses. that's what i look for to doing. >> moderator: congressman, to take a break but you want to respond? valadao: is a clearly defined bill. it was change the force introduced in house but again it still has a common set in place i do believe or suggest be the first spot where we start but i also believe fixing our visas and a guest worker programs have to be second to make sure those work. and then at the end we will have to go into the last step. >> moderator: we are back with each candidate right after this. ♪
3:08 pm
♪ >> moderator: and welcome back. you're watching a live debate between the two candidates for the 21st congressional district here in the south valley. we have a viewer question what the start of the segment with that comes from gary corbell and he asks -- and please give specifics. i'm going to start with you, amanda renteria, because you talked extensively during this campaign about building coalitions. give us some specifics. renteria: well, i said this on the campaign trail. it starts right now. it starts during this campaign, and i had a camera phone into a
3:09 pm
church while i went down the aisle and knelt down to pray. and i said wait a second, we've got to have alliance. this is going beyond the line. we've got to respect each other. what i expected was for my opponent to say yet, that is crossing the line. but what you didn't get is tough. that's the way it is. you've got to start it now. so part of this is making sure that right now we stop this. the other piece to it is a part of a steering committee in the senate, bipartisan group. we got together to talk about different issues. sometimes it was hanging out just to get to know each other. that's what i want to do. that's the kind of group and the kind folks i know i can get together to work with. the next thing is it's really important just like it was in the farm bill. when you see there's an opportunity or an issue to work across the aisle or to say hey, let's get together and talk about it. i've had the experience of doing
3:10 pm
that with ag committee members to cover the opportunity to work across the aisle already. so for me this isn't a new thing. this is what you got to do and what i look forward to doing. >> moderator: david valadao, you express the polarized nature of our congress. what specifically would you do to improve the climate? valadao: will be been doing, groups like the group i'm part of, but the group of his freshman get together every so often to make sure we do talk coming together to make sure we agree on some issues are we talk through some issues. specific example of something that's happened, farm bill. that's a great one because we passed the farm but one of their and it hadn't been passed in seven years. while we were debating there was a really tough portion of it that we struggled with. i get along really well with the ranking member, and that rank in the midst the highest ranking member on the other side of the aisle of the minority party. so a democrat but the most powerful democrat on house ag committee. a gentleman from minnesota. when it came to some most
3:11 pm
controversial portions he asked me to come up on the floor. he introduced me on c-span on camera and says this is the guy that understands this issue knows how to work through it with all of us and wanting to speak on this issue. when you have that, a public forum, national tv coming democrat coming out and saying this is the guy who knows this issue, understands this issue but also going to work with us to get it done. so it was a pretty awesome expense to have because there is a lot of opportunity to do that type of thing. but a lot of other groups out there i'm a part of where we get together regularly for breakfast and talk through issued. >> moderator: that is a good question. congressman valadao, the fresno bee's editorial last week cannot last week endorsed amanda renteria saying you have fallen short ending dates of your constituents. not tock obathe immigration but the be at a toast have pointed out your failure to deliver on immigration reform bill. does that bother you?
3:12 pm
valadao: . not really but i went to the interview and yes, they are not friendly to a lot of times they're getting pretty harsh on us a lot of different issues but is too bad because i didn't have one of the guys could does reach across the aisle and get things done and work and try to prove to them that this is importt to us and have democrats about the stuff and work with democrats to get thosee, even through the whole process of what happened in washington to all the legislation, 387 now sitting in the senate, the vast majority of those are very bipartisan we support from both sides of the aisle and, in fact, a lot of the amendments that are offered in the bills that are passing through, the house has more amendments offered by one single democrat member and every single partisan or every single republican in the senate combined. we've been very bipartisan. we've done a very good job and they chose to ignore it. there's not much we can do about that. renteria: the fresno bee actually endorsed him last go
3:13 pm
around. because he said he's going to go to work across the aisle and get things done. i think the reality is, and you can see it, you've got to be effective. i know, i know the congressman is trying, but the issue is can he get it done? can he be effective? that's the question. that was a lot of the question that the fresno be was working on really asking, did something like the shutdown, did that affect us? the congressman voted for the shutdown. was effective in bringing more people to immigration reform so to pass? you can't. i don't know, i played sports and either the ball goes in over a dozen. in this case i think what they saw is the inability to be effective in that role and how much we need someone here to really solve these problems. tranfourteen agenda government shutdown. i think if people -- >> moderator: , if people read both camps persuasive they can get confusing time to time because i believe your camp
3:14 pm
said, and i can he voted for the shutdown. i'm reading your press ways, congressman cummings is devoted to keep the government going. who is telling the truth? valadao: i say read the bill. the facts are right there. don't read the press was but the actual linkage but there's no such bill ever passed to shut down the government. is just a political attack. women to washington were asked to go fight for our constituents. it was a lot going on in washington and they wanted us to do our jobs. we offered, met moe fishman multiple times, 20 or 30 different bills introduced and passed with a bipartisan support. harry reid chose not to years. it's sad because they're still 300 some bills sitting on his desk today and he's chose not to them. it's frustrating because when we come back to her district, our district want us to fight for than, say what did you do for us on obamacare? my insurance rates are going up. what are you doing to fix that? when we introduce those bills and put them on the table and
3:15 pm
the president chose to ignore and chose not to be part of it and harry reid chose to ignore everything, it's truly sad because that's not what washington was meant to work. and anything, the senate when you look at the situation we face today continues to be on the senate shoulders because it opportunity is there to fix it. with issues throughout the guy with good piece of legislation the big difference for us here. senator harry reid just sits on the. that's why the polling shows they will publish the senate majority this year because they failed to do anything really. >> moderator: ms. renteria? traffic i think that's a way of saying he voted or was for the shutdown. and when you do look at any of the different, you can look out there, look at the votes, look at what happened to a lot of employees and people, veterans et cetera were all screaming please open up the government again. this isn't what leaders are supposed to do. that's not what's supposed to happen. we are supposed to have some
3:16 pm
people that stand and say let's come together, let's make it work again. the reason what i was disappointed to see the congressman be supportive of the shutdown is because there's no other district make us more affected than us. this is an incredibly tough district. we have veterans, folks, seniors, folks who really do need to make sure that the governmengovernmen t is working. the fact that you can shut it down really isn't any of the valley of know the central valley has. what we do is we work hard everyday to make sure that people have a job, to make sure businesses are working. this is something that truly did hurt our small businesses across the district. >> moderator: congressman? valadao: is just a political attack. it's sad because there was a lot of effort made, a lot of bipartisan vote effort to attack me, she's attacking have the democrats who voted for the same bill to fund the, and to make sure our priorities are there. it's too bad because there are people who want to fix the problem. we were one of them and we did our best to make sure but again
3:17 pm
it was just a sad day for this country because of the partisan politics try for a couple weeks to i was writing questions up for the debate ended september 29, the night of september 28, 1 of the rarely check by the national debt. i got on the web and i look at the national debt clock. it was alarming really. in one minute the national debt increased by roughly $1.1 million in one minute. as of tonight at the base uninsured hasn't slowed yet, it's jumped about $11 billion since september 28, just 10 days. it doesn't bode well for our children or grandchildren. what kind of like several going to leave him if we don't rein in spending? ms. renteria, you have hammered congressman valadao for voting on paul ryan's budget, balanced budget bill last year. explain your criticism. renteria: you can't balance a budget on the backs of our seniors. ending medicare as we know it is not the way to go. cutting social security is not the way to go.
3:18 pm
cutting education funding is not the way to go. what you can do -- >> and who has got to skin in the game. what you say to that? renteria: went to protect our seniors and it's by our kids. the way you get out of debt because people have jobs. jet programs policies to say what kind of jobs compactly best in the right places? then you do things like i was a part of on the farm bill where you got $23 billion. the way we did that is we took a good hard look at what are the duplicative programs what's working, what's not working. it was hard, trust me. it was hard to make sure we're cutting the kinds of programs and making them better but with less. we can do that. you just need some leadership. we've done it before who's been in the room who has been able to actually bring it down. i studied business. that's what he did at harvard. i went the business route. undergrad was economic. we can do this. we need to do this. when i look across the board the are a ton of different areas we
3:19 pm
can do it. you can look across the board whether it's over corporate loopholes, shipping jobs overseas. there's a number of different things but you need leadership. that's what i look forward to doing. >> moderator: mr. valadao. valadao: as a freshman i was shocked to know that the house or the senate hadn't moved or had passed a budget in quite a few congresses. so when we finally came into office and started to look at the numbers and do the math, we decide hey, why do we pass the budget? paul ryan was part of the budget before. the senate chose to ignore it. they don't want to talk about the numbers. we have to realize that we have to sit down and work together. because yes, social security is important but it's just as important for the retiree today as it is for my kids as he is paying t for his life to make se it's there for him. yes, we have to make sure the programs are solvent. today they're struggling for the. when we sit down we bring solutions to the table.
3:20 pm
we make sure they work that we negotiate. for the first time and i want to say five, six years, i think the number is two-thirds of the members of congress have never seen appropriations process moved through. now i'm on the appropriations committee. we've passed an appropriations bill and pass an appropriations process so we can fund government the right way with new priorities instead of just the c.r. that has been happening for the last quite a few years. is truly a sad case but it's good that we finally took over and we are now passing that and we have a budget. we have numbers and said they want to take opportunity to take shots at it. we are trying to make sure social security, medicare, all of the different programs are there for the next generation. not just today. >> moderator: we will take another break really quick but after the break we're talking minimum wage. stick around. we will be right back. ♪ ♪
3:21 pm
♪ >> moderator: welcome back. you're looking, watching our live debate between the two candidates for the 21st congressional district here in central california, amanda renteria and david valadao. we have a few question. we want to start off this segment with. she asks -- to support common core? the state of california is now transition into. they call for more critical thinking a special in the testing process. if not, which help get it out of california? so how many years did you teach school? renteria: a year. >> moderator: so you were teaching, core curriculum. renteria: i did not. >> moderator: what you think of it today? renteria: my sisters been achieved in the valley a couple decades. my younger sister as well as in
3:22 pm
education and my mom was secretary of the school for many years but as i said, education is the way that it really was able to have the kind of opportunities i've had in my life. you know, common core is new and ago is certain to talk about it. in my opinion is we've got to give it more time to understand it. that does mean you can go right into testing immediately. we really need to listen to the teachers on the ground. one of the things i respect is how hard it is to figure out how you inspire and motivate each one of these kids, and really i think common core was an idea to kind of come is there any way of thinking? when i was in selma i was talking to couple of kindergarten teachers and they were talking about it's a new way, we're interested in seeing how it goes, and when asked are you for it or against it? what should i be thinking about? they said, take a little more time to give it a little more time. we appreciate the idea that people are trying to think through it because we do need to figure out education in this
3:23 pm
country. at the same time, not ready for testing. let's see what this looks like first. >> moderator: less memorization-based and more about critical thinking on your feet. if the validator, what d do you think about common core? valadao: i am the father of three young children i spent a lot of time at my children's school and i've been all of the district talking to different teachers about this issue and this is a tough one. because our schools are failing. something has to happen. something has to change. common core is a new i did was brought up and there are somethings in i do like. i like the freedom of the teachers. we have a lot of great teachers in the value been a good job making sure the kids have the best stuff and for them to read. you do the stories of some of the textbooks abroad and our horrible. math is one i struggle with because some of the kids are really struggling with the math and how it applies in the real world. i have banker friends i was talking to a parent-teacher conference and his promise to me was, this is why d do for a livg and a conflicted with his math. this is a problem.
3:24 pm
we do have to look it over. because it's not ready for prime time i would say we have to pull some back on them outside but as for critical thinking supplicant i think their summer opportunities and a conflicted start thinking differently. >> moderator: let's talk about the minimum wage. it's $9 an hour in california. and about a year and have to go up to 10. is that sufficient in your opinion? valadao: i think the system in place that is sufficient. >> moderator: do you think $10 an hour is sufficient? valadao: yes. it really is something that has be decided the state level. when you look at minimum wage, a state has the responsibility to a smaller group of people in the federal government. and when you look at a state like california when we include communities like san francisco or l.a. with high housing costs or even the central valley, i have friends of mine who moved to oklahoma or other states. they sell a house here and the cost of living and some of the
3:25 pm
states it's a much different situation. we want to make sure that our nation is competitive and every status opportunity. what was passed at the state level i think is plenty sufficient and it's a good start. i think the focus is the on how we can create great jobs. we have real opportunities with solar production and there are somethings that helping bring new and good jobs to people here so we are not so focus on what is the minimum of what the maximum can be. >> moderator: ms. renteria, is a sufficient? renteria: the key question unanswered that is if people have a working, if they're working, i the still living in poverty? if they are working, i'm having to stand in community food banks? if the answer is yes they're working still standing in those lines, an then there's something wrong with what we are paying a working wage. i said this several times but i think we actually do need to raise the federal minimum wage. and the reason is because right
3:26 pm
now california is at a disadvantage with our neighboring states. so when a congressman says folks moved to oklahoma or to another place, the problem is, is right now california does have a higher wage than a lot of the shiny places to we need to make sure that all across the country people can work and not live in poverty when they are working. i think it's a micro but important point that the congress but and i have disagreed on several times now in a lot of our debates is a deeply the federal minimum wage needs to go up and he doesn't. >> moderator: let's see if we can keep our answers concise and how do the same with my questions. high-speed rail, for it or against it? valadao: very much against it. the project has been a disaster to buy a posted. the time back in 2010 when i was running for the assembly. i spent a lot of time up in sacramento on the assembly budget committee, watched the numbers comes spent plenty of time with her board and it's a disaster from the ground up. when you spend time talking to people out in the district, i was talking to a couple at a restaurant.
3:27 pm
they told the their story about how they work out a bishop in the back of the house. is a fabricator, a welder and they are now being ran over by the high-speed rail. what they're going to be offered is never going to cover the investment. you have a family who was the biggest investment from their home, bishop, their business, their whole livelihood is going to be undercut and they will be left with nothing. this project needs to be shut down for a lot of different reasons, but no money for it. it doesn't make sense. the plan doesn't work and it's hurting people in the valley without a real good glimmer of hope. renteria: i at the moment, i think the high-speed rail isn't what the voters voted on. i think the costs are not what i don't expect them to be. having said that when i go in the district and talk to folks i get questions are people am which is where are the jobs going to come from? is this a place where jobs could have come from? what i often say is, if israel does come, you can trust me
3:28 pm
there will be fighting those jobs are here in the 21st district the part of the difference between the congressman and i is he's really been hitting this project pretty hard and saying it's a complete disaster. i don't disagree with where it is now but at the end of the day, we have to have the kind of tone where we're going to work together if this thing is coming. let's be a part of the discussion to make sure the jobs are here. to make sure the jobs are in places where 50% unemployment rate, or you look throughout this district and you look at where the jobs are. the folks on the ground are asking about the, thereby, their concern. they say this thing is coming through are you going to bring people here to do these jobs? and get scared about that idea. i disagree with where it is now but it becomes, i will fight to make sure those jobs are here today for we will give each one of you an opportunity really quick and ask a quick question and then try for a 30-second answer. congressman, we'll start with you. what question would you for your
3:29 pm
opponent? valadao: the natural resource defense council, a radical group of bay area lawyers sued central valley farmers and commits and force millions of acre-feet of water in the ocean. just a few months ago the national resource defense council hosted a fundraiser for my opponent in the bay area. will you, yes or no, return the contribution from this extreme group? renteria: congressman from this is a political stunt, and i think everyone knows that. everyone -- everyone knows this, and including anyone i've ever talked to. my family lives here. am i going to take their water, a micro to take the water of a? of course not. the idea that you would even tried to go there is pretty absurd. i think it was .008 -- so many different donation. i appreciate edwards supporting us but at the end of the day, we
3:30 pm
actually have to work with are going to solve these problems. we really do. and the idea, the idea that all of a sudden this is a problem when, you, honestly if you look at where money comes from for my opponent, special interest that goes to my opponent, i think there's a lot of questions. no one is going to fight harder here for water. ..
3:31 pm
renteria: to do everything that you can on water. >> moderator: about a minute before closing statements. probably want to estimate question. renteria: i do. >> moderator: about 30 seconds. renteria: i worked really hard. and when you look at the -- one of the big debates, and my opponent actually voted to cut $20 billion in food stamps while at the same time his own farm took a lot of subsidies. renteria: 30 seconds. ♪ it's about public-service. before your question, did you have a question? valadao: that is one of the things. you are in a position because you have employees on your farm, family to worry about. when you make decisions on your business you have to do everything to be competitive you have to make sure that you do everything possible for those employees and
3:32 pm
families to have a reasonable. and so when i got into congress and at the abcatwenty instead of throwing money at the issue that was one of the first things we went after the get rid of. they're bad for the marketplace and not just for our economy can afford to let you to our time restraints we have a minute each for closing statements. mr. with you, ms. amanda renteria. renteria: thank you for being here today. one of the things that you saw tonight, the pretty big difference between congressman valadao and i of throughout this campaign. for the most part it has been about attacking or i come from, of attacking who he thinks i am, but at the end of the day here is why i am doing this. this has always been about public service. it is why i started as a teacher. and today it still is of a public service because doing what we do is all about helping others, and i look forward to your vote. i know we can do so much better here. and now we can be effective. and we can solve these
3:33 pm
problems. it is what i have done in the past, no afford to do it again. as for your ferret. help me make the central valley everything that it can be. >> moderator: mr. valadao. valadao: thank-you perris thank you for this opportunity. i had a your virginity to represent this district the ec back to d.c. every once all of my different groups advocating for agriculture. i saw many times people from washington who seem to believe everything or know everything about agriculture and everything about the valley but it truly is a sad situation because people that are just a mile wide and an inch deep. i work for a living. i have always been out on the farm working with folks doing business to go to washington. on my experience that i bring to the table to know when you look at an opportunity to create jobs you want someone who has actually done it. i have done it and continue to do with the appellate
3:34 pm
court having your vote in september. kayfor thank you, both of you. that is all the time that we have here, the 21st congressional debate and don't forget to vote. november the fourth. also, the deadline to do that is october 20th. means that you need to actually submitted proposed market or send it electronically by the 20th of october. and making an informed vote. for more information on local races in your area, stories of the season the candid it's, visit our website. you'll be able to watch this debate on both our website as well. so from all of us here at cagy et the 17, thank you for being with us tonight and good night. ♪ >> c-span campaign 2014 is bringing you more than 100 debates this campaign season
3:35 pm
for look at one of this year's races we spoke with a reporter on today's washington journal. >> another closely watched senate races in new hampshire. trying to hold onto her seat against former senator scott brown. joining us on the phone now to talk about that race is james spin off fifth -- james pindell. good morning priscilla's where this is a day. >> it has been stuck for a year. last september in 2014 we had the hypothetical matchup still all living in massachusetts at the time. but shaheen was beating him by six points. last week we had our latest wmur.com poll showing shaheen beating scott brown by six points. cell in some cases double digits, other places closer.
3:36 pm
the race has really been stuck for a long time. i will say, that is done by the university of new hampshire, the most respected : new hampshire, but the other said sean this race to be tighter. internal polls in both campaigns have shown this race to be tighter. showing for the first time an independent poll with brown with a slight lead by one point, clearly within the margin of error. the thing to watch in this race is not just the independent on the undecided voter. interestingly what you need to watch, there is a ten. kapor has been a ten. cap of enthusiasm. democrats really supporting shaheen. republicans are question marks about scott brown. if he can get republicans to come home and vote republican then scott brown has a really good chance of winning this. but right now that has not been the case. >> and where did those?
3:37 pm
scum from? stem from scott brown having served as a senator from massachusetts? >> the carpetbagging argument has been a proxy statement for other things you just don't agree with. i say that in conjunction with the real reasons you don't like him. if you are conservative, you don't like the fact he is pro-choice. you don't like the fact that he has not had a perfect voting record when it comes to guns. both issues very big in republican primaries. >> and in terms of the final weeks of the campaign, are there any issues for scott brown coming back from the primary? it was a pretty easy walk for him to the nomination, correct? >> yap. well, it was interesting. he had two main challenges but if a combined, it would be basically tied. while he won 21 that it is kind of misleading.
3:38 pm
think the thing to watch is not just the republican voters but also when- feelings that people have towards doug brown. i rounded-19 in terms of his net favorability. that is a very rough spot in terms of people don't like him. so it's a tough spot for him. a lot of people are still beginning to learn about scott brown. bernard going to have this. but talk to voters all the time. if they are on the fence they can imagine themselves walking into the voting bins. they will have scott brown and shaheen. there really want to make a protest vote against obama, of 35 to 38 percent approval rating which is like george w. bush back in 2006. but are upset with him, but these voters say they're going to have to take a pause and look is scott brown and ask themselves the question mmi really going to
3:39 pm
do this, this guy who just moved to new hampshire this year to mike and i don't know a lot about giving in terms of issues, this race has been pretty negative of the last couple of weeks. in the way this issue interestingly has been abortion, the republicans thought this would not be an issue. the answer is generally approach to state. statewide republican nominee says warren rudman in 1986 to be pro-choice. and democrats have been using this issue year after year after year as a way to bring up the women's vote. generally a pro-choice state. yet here we are debating. scott brown says he is pro-choice. and it has been something of a subject now for three different campaign ads in the last week. learn from scott brown. >> political director at wmur.com of manchester. project back in before the election is over and keep
3:40 pm
watching. thank you so much. >> thank you. >> our campaign 2014 coverage continues with a week full of debate but on c-span today at 7:00 eastern live coverage of the florida governor's debate between rick scott and charlie crist. and at 8:00 live coverage of the kansas u.s. senate debate between incumbent senator republican pat roberts and independent greg norman. live on c-span2 the delaware u.s. senate debate with incumbent senator and republican kevin wade. thursday at 8:00 p.m. eastern on c-span live coverage of the third and final i was in a debate between u.s. representative democrat bruce breitling and state senator republican john d. ernst. friday night life of the wisconsin governors' debate between incumbent governor scott walker and democrat mary burke. c-span campaign 2014. more than 100 debates for the control of congress.
3:41 pm
>> housing and urban development secretary julian castro delivered the keynote address at the second annual ginnie mae summit just outside of washington d.c. he outlined his goals for the department to which he was confirmed by the senate as secretary in july as well as broader issues of u.s. housing policy. this is 20 minutes. >> can i have your attention please? we need to get started. good morning and welcome. i am the president of ginnie mae. it is a pleasure and honor to be with you today. this second annual ginnie mae summit. about six other people. we had to cut off registration because of the space constraint. some of the very special guests who have come all the
3:42 pm
way to be with us today. if you could rise as technology. [applause] i think y'all know as we do is a very important time in the finance industry. a market and the stakes are very high. banks are not lending like these to. for the next couple of days you will hear a lot about how ginnie mae is adapting to make sure there are guarantees that we will continue to have a successful story. the things you will hear over the next few days will revolve around a transformation, partnership, and opportunity. the first transformation is all around us today will release a white paper that
3:43 pm
outlines our views on the crucial issues we're facing today. partnerships, each used to use it. that makes a difference. the third thing is an opportunity. in is becoming elantra or for our keynote speaker. it is an honor to introduce to you this morning. we can work together to create opportunity, but we need leaders to help us. reduced and affordable of crown everyone. how to bring people together to create opportunity and accomplish goals that are within our reach. today and have the honor of introducing a leader, someone who is already making waves to was all new as the confidence and knowledge and to the will to make a difference. transforming the hud, urging leaders and staff to work together and reminding us of what is a stake. i believe he is someone who
3:44 pm
can and will create the private public partnerships that will finally once and for all the housing of the recession. julian castro is the 16th secretary of housing and urban development on the 20th of july this year to ensured that we operate transparently, efficiently, and effectively to champion the people the reserved, he has charged us to bring every person regardless of station in life the opporunity to thrive. when i asked him to come here today to talk to you he did not even hesitate. he told me that he was excited to be here because he understands the importance of your role in the success of ginnie mae. before coming to hud in july he served as the mayor of san antonio we quickly gained a reputation as a national leader through urban development. his downtown initiative is
3:45 pm
attracted $350 million private-sector investment and will produce more than 2,000 housing units by the end of 2014. sen as the power in the value of the public-private partnership like the ones between you and ginnie mae. he was named the world's economic form gives leader. time magazine placed him on its 40 under 40 list of rising stars in american politics. i could go on and on, but i will introduce you to someone who knows what to make a difference. ladies and gentlemen, please join me in welcoming the secretary of housing and urban development, julian castro. [applause] [laughter] [applause]
3:46 pm
>> hello. good morning, y'all. how are you? well, i did not see on the way over here. i figured i would just jump on. thank you very much for that introduction. i appreciate it. for the entire ginnie mae team, i wanted thank them for their great contributions over at hud and more importantly they're great contributions to our nation and to all of you for taking part in the 2014 ginnie mae summit. thank you for being here. particularly want to thank the representatives of the japanese housing finance agency who travels across an ocean to hear billionaire they at? could morning and welcome. thank you for being here. we also have folks from across the united states. anybody here from california ? all right. helicopter new york?
3:47 pm
and even here from new york? one person. as to be more than that. new yorkers are traditionally a little bit more jazzed up and that may anybody from illinois? floridian? anybody here from idaho? one person? all right. how about the great state of texas? [applause] >> they give me a little love there. as you may know, this is the beginning of my second month at hud. i have to say that i have been sure it every minute of working with a great team over at the department. my wife and daughter moved up of four weeks ago. we are adjusting well except for two things, trying to find a good ice-t and trying to find good barbecue pit and dice, weaver at a place a couple of weeks ago on a saturday.
3:48 pm
they came in service are to believe everything was good. you know, they had a couple of different sauces including a texas sauce. the avenue was a bad parent i tell my wife, this is pretty good. and i noticed that on the intercom. instead of marilyn nelson are garth brooks it was pearl jam. as said, you know, this is not quite the same here. but i'm having a great time working with the dedicated staff, including the staff at ginnie mae. and then have to be here this morning. wheat had a moment, and our economy is growing, a time when american businesses have created 10 million new jobs over the last four and a half years, the most since the late 1990's. one of those sales are at their highest since 2006 and the housing market has gotten stronger with home sales, starts, values all rising in recent years.
3:49 pm
in fact, our nation is making progress across the board. and hud is focused on ensuring that these opportunities reach every american. in fact, at hud we think of ourselves as the department of opportunity. last week i gave my first major policy speech as secretary and started with a subject that some have shied away from in recent years. home ownership. in fact, i stated very clearly that it is time to remove the stigma associated with the mapping home ownership. home ownership strengthens communities and those our economy. it helps families put down roots and secure their financial future. in short, home ownership is the cornerstone of the american dream. unfortunately today this stream is out of reach for
3:50 pm
far too many americans. many say that credit was too easy to get a few years ago. today it is too hard. according to the urban institute, the average credit score for loans this year is roughly 750. currently there are 13 million people with credit scores ranging from 580 to 680. and in some ways the problem is getting worse because of their retreat of some of our most important lending partners. so as today's prom in the case of this challenge requires the power partnerships. want to send a simple message to lenders, including those in this room. let's work together. we share a common interest to see a robust, healthy housing market or those who are ready and irresponsible can buy a home.
3:51 pm
we can advance this interest and move our nation forward, but that takes partnership. so let's come together to secure the dream of home ownership, not only for ourselves, but for generations to come. we have got to be creative and find new ways to deliver for the american people, and that is exactly what ginnie mae is doing. as you know, ginnie mae plays a unique role in the marketplace. it issues the only mortgage-backed security to carry the full faith and credit guarantee have the u.s. government. it provides a platform that works for a private sector partners of providing the low-cost financing that helps responsible folks buy their first on. this past spring ginnie mae reached an incredible milestone of one at trillion in outstanding mortgage-backed securities. we have almost doubled our issuer base in just the last
3:52 pm
five years. we are providing a stable and low-risk opportunity for capital, which is enabling more americans to own a home , and we are not content to just stick with the status quo. ginnie mae is thinking of new ways to help more americans to realize their dreams. in fact, ginnie mae has stepped up its work with housing finance agencies, helping low and moderate income folks buy their first home. the are taking up a pilot program to give small financial institutions more access to the secondary market in partnership with the federal home loan bank of chicago. the effort allows members to access our full faith and credit guarantee and get the execution that provides for other loans. participating community lenders would get a better price than the marketplace and use that capital to make
3:53 pm
credit available. we're going to build on this successful pilot program and will soon launch a nationwide effort in the first quarter of next year so more lenders can benefit. these are the types of partnerships we need to accelerate for progress. debt and michael will speak later on other important changes in programs that ginnie mae is undertaking. the bottom line is this to mike ginnie mae will continue to innovate the best serve. and the fha will do so as well. at fha we have launched a blueprint for access that as two main parts. the first part, homeowners armed with knowledge. it allows homeowners to commit to housing counseling to qualify for reduced mortgage insurance premiums that this will increase the
3:54 pm
pool of responsible borrowers and save the average fha buyer nearly $10,000 over the life of a loan. it will also strengthen the fha financial health so that it can continue to assist underserved communities for generations to come. the second part is clearing up kirkcaldy insurance policies to reduce uncertainty for lenders. in the wake of the crisis we have seen a lot of frustration from lenders when it comes to their fha business. many have been reluctant to lend because they fear unanticipated consequences. they need to be able to manage the risk better, and so does the fha minutes of their making it easier to partner with us by overhauling single-family handbook been raided banks to get a 900 mortgagee letters and other policy guidance into a single document. by clarifying the compliance
3:55 pm
process where given lenders the confidence that they need to lend while also protecting our financial health. how our nation and our economy have come a long way in recent years. also still have a way to go, there is tremendous momentum at hud and ginnie mae and fha we are committed to keeping up the momentum. hud will spend the next two and a half years working to give every american a chance to get ahead. we know that we can't do this alone. we need you. so i want to reiterate my message to lenders. let's work together. henry ford once said that coming together is a beginning. staying together is progress working together is success.
3:56 pm
i look forward to working with you all to enhance these programs and achieve success. together we can ensure that every american who is ready and irresponsible can buy a home and achieve their american dream. thank you for inviting me here today, and i hope you have a wonderful summit. [applause] [applause] [inaudible conversations] >> as a deck and take a question. >> all right. >> questions for the secretary. >> thank you all for coming questions of the conference attendees. questions. >> the very first one. anybody. they rebuilt.
3:57 pm
-- there you go. >> i just want to applaud what your saying about clarity with your manual sandra binders. so many times we deal with different centers which are offered to the different interpretations which really does add to confusion, hesitation, and just not the type of customer service we want for our people. so thank you. >> thank you for the common to. just know that we do here are the issue, and we want to do everything that we can to streamline the process as much as possible, to ensure quality and also to reduce uncertainty. that is our goal. you know, ted is working hard on that. there and her folks at fha working hard on that. all of us are very much committed. thank you. >> good morning, mr. secretary. mark jones in kalamazoo,
3:58 pm
michigan. one of the concerns that fha lenders had with the clarity, it seems like some of the things they're coming through to us now are more former over substance. in other words, if we rate a very good reason, well reasoned credit quality loan but don't check the right box we get penalized. can you give us some comfort that that is going to happen a year you say, let's work together. >> thank you very much for that in sight. unocal we want this to be meaningful collaboration. so it is helpful. of course, there are two things that we need to get right. four-man substance. but you don't want the form to be so draconian that it really gets -- it injures the substance. sele would love to get more input and see how all as we revamp some of these things we can get it right.
3:59 pm
>> thank you so much for being here. a little bit of days of the with the home ownership comment, which i love the idea. how we're going to insure credit quality. >> that's a great question. in fact, i think that is right at the heart of those who wonder, well, why would we promote home ownership now an associate it? the first thing i would say is what i believe the controls that have been put in place on both sides, the lender side and on the public side since then, and that the pendulum has just swung too far in the other direction. credit overlays are emplace mean that even during normal times, not in the lead up to the housing crisis, let's go back 15 years or more, the folks who are responsible and ready to own a home would have been able to access credit pact and under
4:00 pm
normal times are not able to do so now because the pendulum has swung so far. so i think y're right to raise the concern. and the issue is, how do we keep the balance, like anything, how do we ensure that the lessons that we learned over the last few years are utilized so that people who get access to credit are responsible, ready, but also folks who have demonstrated had decent track record and you in normal times would get a loan are able to do that. and there are millions and millions of americans who fall into that category who right now don't have access to credit. we want to change that in a responsible way. i think you for your question. >> we have time for one more question. all right.
4:01 pm
this is going to take a second. >> i've been hidden thank you for being here today. her hud just announced the assignment of a new management company. d.c. a lot of changes upcoming with that? >> thank you for the question. no. well, the answer is that i will have to look into that. i am not specifically familiar with which one you're referring to, but we would get back to you. if we can get your information, i will get you there. all right. i hope you have a wonderful summit that is productive. please know that we are here to listen, to work with you and, as i said, to do everything that we can to
4:02 pm
ensure that opportunity is expanded out there in our country. thank you. [applause] [applause] >> coming up later today here on c-span2, delaware senate debate between democratic incumbent and republican challenger. both the political reports list of race as solid democratic. see it live at 8:00 p.m. eastern. also live at 8:00 on our companion network, the third and final scheduled debate between kansas senator pat roberts and independent challenger. and debate coverage continues tomorrow on c-span with the third and final iowa senate debate between democratic congressman kayten and republican opponent ernst. here is a look at some of the campaign ads running in that state.
4:03 pm
>> i'm bruce braley, it i approve this message. >> take a closer look at ernst. in the state senate ernst sponsored amendment to outlaw abortion. banning many common forms of birth control. >> the providers should be punished. >> radical ideas, wrong for iowa. >> ernst promises shut down the department of education hurting iowa students abolishing. that is why extremists sarah palin and the billionaire cocaine others want ernst in washington. ernst, promises for them, too extreme for us.
4:04 pm
>> no college education. >> i find it ironic their is a push to shut down the house. >> advanced degrees. >> hardly anybody working on that. >> there is no tells service . >> never went to law school. >> we're doing our own laundry. >> i get very upset. >> you out of a master's and ph.d. in health care policy. one of the most important places i go is to the gym. >> have you published any scholarly treatises in a peer review journal? >> the farmer from iowa and never went to law school. >> i get very upset. >> are you ready to apologize? >> you're damn right. >> i get very upset.
4:05 pm
>> see the debate for this tossup race live at 8:00 p.m. eastern on our companion network. >> be part of c-span campaign 2014 coverage. follow us on twitter and likeness on facebook to get debate schedules, video clips of key moments, debate previews from our politics team palin c-span is bringing you over 100 senate, house, and governor debates. you can instantly share your reactions. the battle for control of congress. stay in touch and engaged by falling us on twitter. like us on facebook. >> next on the part of an all-day conference on asia with business leaders and policymakers from asia in the united states perspectives from t u.s. and 75 japanese governments and business communities. first, a keynote address from former australian prime
4:06 pm
minister kevin rudd he talks about u.s.-china relations. this is hosted by the center for strategic and international studies. >> in my professional life i have been around politicians i have been around analysts for 15 years in this sort of environment, but i have never been in this kind of experience before, you know, for someone who can walk you into a new space intellectually and help you understand the significance of that space and also its political importance, this is where. i have been with politicians who when explained the significance of something will figure out the politics , and i have been with analysts who understand the significance and don't have a clue how to think about a politically, but
4:07 pm
very, very rarely -- the only other person, frankly, and my experience was brooklyn. he had that capacity to walking into an intellectual place and have never been before and help you perceive is enormous significance and political import. and kevin rudd can do that brilliantly. and so when we asked him if he would come and join us today, it was an extra hope, and we are grateful he was willing to do it. of course, the topic is something that the focus is on personally all the time. prime minister ride is currently affiliated with csn. >> caller: distinguished statesmen. he is also at harvard where they get more of his time that i wish. i am jealous. but he is willing to come here and has been very, very helpful and supportive of us
4:08 pm
and thinking through these complex issues. he is going to give all of you that opportunity today because you're going to have a rich opportunity for something. and so please welcome kevin rudd. [applause] >> well, thank you for that great exercise an expectation management i will not produce magic this morning, and there will be no sun and dance show. but i do appreciate the hospitality, and diagnose the work which it does, not just on behalf of the united states, but by all individuals around the world he take the disciplines of foreign policy, international relations and strategic policies seriously. it is a first-class as to 210 and it brings together first-class mines, which represent as well as you folks are here this morning.
4:09 pm
secondly, made reference to my time at the harvard kennedy school. after i came second in the national elections in austria last september which is a polite way of saying that i lost, the harvard guys currently picked up a telephone and asked me to get to the kennedy school to think. having been in politics for 15 years. to think. about alternatives futures for u.s.-china relations. and in particular whether in fact they're is a way through some of what we who professionally follow this for many years regard as the intractable is in that relationship. and the harvard kennedy school, very supportive of my work on that. i spent a lot of time talking the think tanks in washington, beijing, tokyo
4:10 pm
and deli, singapore, moscow pit these questions as well as officials from those governments as well. of course going given the topic that we have set this morning which is about questions of future regional architecture, china does not constitute the totality of that picture, nor does the china-u.s. relationship constitutes the totality. so the remarks here, invited to do this only two days ago , let me stand back and look at that trend at work as i see it across the asia-pacific region. secondly, what is going well and thirdly what is not going so well. fourthly, where does the china-u.s. relationship fed for the future and some
4:11 pm
questions of architecture. if you stand back and try and look at the events in the asia-pacific region, we tend to think that we are unique in terms of those factors which are affecting the global business of international relations. we are not unique benefactor's a work in the international community in my view were largely comprised of two deep underlying forces with which we in the policy-making business with a policy advising business need to be conscious of. one is this overwhelming dynamic of what we call globalization. we use the term lot. we often use is glibly, but the share manifestation of it and that which we say in to every day is profound. it of course, the general turbocharging of globalization as we define it by the new technologies are simply compounding and quadrupling in the trading
4:12 pm
weather in financial markets are economic exchanges were part frankly, the resources of terrorist organizations. and so we began talking about a decade or so ago, now actually intensifying and scope. and the overall dynamics of globalization at the economic level thought and that the social and to some extent of the cultural level has been over the last 20 years or so since the end of the cold war and particular to the drop people's cultures countries nations and even governments somewhat closer together. simply as a product of the dynamic. and this is virtually unprecedented as a phenomenon in global history in terms of the intensity, density, complexity. but overall, a force for good. and then pitched against it, of course, is the second set of forces was simultaneously
4:13 pm
action reaction to a and seeks to politicians apart, either internally or between one another. and the second described as the forces of nationalism. anyone who thinks that we have somehow mysteriously extinguished the forces of nationalism as a consequence of rational economic man ruling the world or rational economic women ruling the world is deluding themselves you simply have to be a political practitioner engaged in the business of democratic politics in their own country to know that is not the case. as you travel extensively across asia, the nationalist agenda in each country is palpable and real and visible and tangible and actually shapes deeply the thinking of most political elites. of course, if you dig into that deeper, what is the nationalist reaction weather is will we see in europe, will we see in various extreme forms and then new
4:14 pm
phenomenon we observe in the middle east or in some of the emerging and intensify security challenges. as no nationalism often is a deeper reaction to the phenomenon of globalization and the depersonalizing dimensions of globalization. and what actually happens in response to that, those who don't win from the globalization project economically was those who lose their identity obviously feel alienated and threatened and therefore congregate around concepts and ideas and political movements which are about identity, locality, ethnicity. it is palpable, real, and it does not matter which country or society you're talking about. national and international at present, to navigate the shoals which are constructed by those two, at deep economic and geopolitical
4:15 pm
forces. and they animate the fundamentals of what i describe as the technical foreign policy debates which we have on a day-to-day basis in the foreign-policy community. secondly, when we turn to how this great drama of globalization on the one hand pulling countries and cultures together verses as nationalism simultaneously tearing apart with threatening to tear them apart, the central question for the politics of europe and the politics of asia and the politics of the middle east is who will win. the forces of globalization of the forces of as nationalism. houses grand debate is resolved globally and regionally is of profound significance for the future of the 21st century. and we look at the european project up until now we can only be an aberration of what they have achieved a
4:16 pm
measure of the ashes of the second world war. mind you, the europeans were very slow learners and having torn each other apart and conflagrations within 75 years from the franco prussian. they finally concluded there are better ways of doing business. in the political architecture of emerging europe, first a markup and the community in in the union was very much a political construct seeking to deal with the underlying forces of of nationalism which effectively destroy the convent of the scope of time. come to our part of the world in the asia-pacific region, since the fall of saigon in 1975 really through until very recently, you look at the 35 year sweep. the globalization project in the asian and is here has proceeded remarkably successfully.
4:17 pm
we have had no major conflicts within the hemisphere. we have produced phenomenal economic growth. we have produced extraordinary increases in living standards, unparalleled in human history. and as a consequence the dynamism to the regional discourse within whiter asia that we have not seen before either. westerners looking on to the phenomenon call that asia, which is a european construction itself and think of the term. asia meaning the east. east of where? but if you look at what is unfolding in asia itself, it is the internal dynamics that have generated some much of the wealth and prosperity and success. in the external dynamics with the extra regional partners has also been important, particularly with relation to this country.
4:18 pm
but the into regional dynamics have been extraordinary unfold and overwhelmingly positive. to the mutual benefit of all countries within the region. and that has been so much the story of the last 35 years. but, again, to simply sound the alarm, to conclude from that that the forces of nationalism and ethnic nationalism or religious nationalism in certain cases have simply evaporated and died is simply a false analysis. and the battle royale with in the region and for its future will, again, center around how these two competing forces are contend with, globalization, intentionally trying this region together and forces of nationalism seeking always to tear the region apart.
4:19 pm
so the report card for the last 35 years has been quite reasonable. and in the last several years we began to scratch our heads and ask what is happening. a complex and variable picture across the region. we often forget it the lessons of international relations history that mutually agree to a territorial boundaries help in the business of international relations. the concept of the realisms and not really relevant to the border was world of the 21st century to which i respond with an observation, it is a line, it is well, and it is a driving factor in the analysis of these questions to this very day. the mental map tour of the
4:20 pm
region starting with the korean peninsula, a state of for which existed still through to the east china sea. and he looked at the unresolved questions which still remain between china and korea, between japan and korea. as you look at the complexity of what constitutes the south china sea and all of the dimensions of the conflicting territorial claims involving seven different entities before you then flip around and head through the straits of malacca on to the unresolved questions of india, pakistan, kashmir, and then further afield from what is now unfolding in terms of militant islam is not far to the northwest.
4:21 pm
all of these factors exist not just in theory or on paper, but are capable of, in fact, bringing about a conflagration at any given .3 power issue management and the normal politics and dynamics of escalation which unfold as a result. and so the last three years is so we have seen these unresolved issues come much more sharply whisperings me to my fourth point about how, in fact, this is to be dealt with in the future and whether or not the u.s.-china relationship is central to most. i know enough about the politics of southeast asia to know that the china u.s. relationship is not central to everything. it is an important dynamic. of what occurs with and southeast asia is primarily conducted regionally. and to any folks here today,
4:22 pm
i would simply commend how they have managed their own regional evolution of the last 40 years. it has been an extraordinary development and a lesson to the wider region. but let me then extend the map more broadly. it is difficult to escape the central organizing dynamic of the china-u.s. relationship in its current state and where it may evolve in the future, which is why i have taken a year out of the harvard kennedy school to look at it more closely. so let's look for a moment at his dynamics. if he were to take an objective measure about u.s.-china relations are the last 35 years says normalization in 79 and look at that eds and flows of their relationship sense, on any objective analysis, if you arrive from the moon you have to conclude their relationship is not in a bad state. there is no immediate, a palpable sense of crisis in
4:23 pm
that particular element of their relationship. however, when you look at the exceptions which are emerging within the chinese leaders and parts of the american foreign policy establishment, it is much less selling them at. the chinese perceptions. the best i can describe china's current perceptions of the united states at the most senior level is they have concluded internally that it is virtually impossible to develop a long-term strategic relationship with the united states based on mutual trust, mutual strategic trust. and i believe that they articulate this in a number of ways. they're articulate this by saying that they believe that the united states is in the business of isolating china.
4:24 pm
the united states is in the business of containing china the united states is in the business of diminishing china, and the business of delegitimizing china, the united states is in the business of all to manley seeking means to destabilize the chinese leaders. these things are never sat in polite conversation, which is presumably why they amassed i started to speak to you this morning. i think at this stage of this very important relationship, china and the united states, it is important that we have some very clear baseline reality checks about where things actually lie in chinese perceptions been made so let me flip the table in terms of american perception of china. and i think this is important because the level of misperception is profound .
4:25 pm
i think the american perception of china, and i don't seek to describe anything official here. my observations in the general foreign-policy establishment is that china global interest is important economically. the chinese political system is inherently unstable and unsustainable. the american perception is that china is pursuing an assertive form of nationalism to mask its own internal political vulnerabilities and is seeking, therefore, to change the status quo across the rest of east asia overtime. by means of the economy to economically overwhelm the rest of asia and then in time diplomatically and militarily. and furthermore, it deep american perceptions which raised this question about whether chinese diplomacy is, in fact, simply put it at buying time while the overall correlation of forces moves more profoundly
4:26 pm
in the direction of one which economically and militarily advantages china before china more overtly and directly that acts to asserts its position of pre-eminence within the region. again, that is never said in polite society either. these things, not the business of day-to-day diplomacy. but if you get around thinktank salon and governments a lot you pick out tonalities. i don't think those generalizations that i have just made are enormously wide of the mark, that is represent large departures from reality. of course, others seek to try and be objective about this. anyone who claims to be perfectly objective is engaged in complete self delusion. as we all see, reality in prisons whether we're conscience are not. we are no different. the only advantage we have, i think, is that at our best
4:27 pm
we of the east and the west and the west and the east. that is, we are longstanding and deep allies of the united states which will make absolutely no apology. at the same time, all the countries of east asian and including the people's republic of china, we have a deep, comprehensive, profound longstanding relationship. and republican attitude surveys industrial era, the united states is very well-liked, and china is quite well liked. there is actually eddy platitudinal basis. so we cannot pretend to be objective because u.s. allies on the one hand, but at the same time strong and close friends with our counterparts in beijing on the other. what i have concluded about these different sets of
4:28 pm
perceptions is that a large proportion of them, but not in their entirety, do not reflect the objective reality. to give one example in both directions, how much contained. if we define containment as that which is used by the united states against the soviet union, what we see in terms of america's current operational policy toward the people's republic of china cannot be fairly described as containment. it has none of the characteristics of classic containment. that might be a useful political rhetorical line to be used in the debate, but in the days of containment there was virtually no economic engagement between america and the soviet union. and in the soviet action anywhere in the strategic regions in the world of relevance to the united states which was everywhere
4:29 pm
was met with an equal and opposite reaction in one form or another by overt or covert means. that is not the case in the u.s.-china relationship. vastly different. and so we need a more transit understanding of the nature of u.s. operational policy. the term containment is inaccurate, and in my judgment it can lead to erroneous policy conclusions now, let me flip the tables again in terms of what i think it is erroneous american perceptions of china. when china says we come as a civilization, i've never been in the business of establishing a overseas colonies when we have a natural capacity to do so and therefore no self-interest to engage the world commercially.
4:30 pm
i think that's about right. when you look get china's history from the main dynasty to the presence of many of the forces in chinese history have not had to do with this profound domestic agenda, which is almost overwhelming every successful generation of chinese leaders. ..

44 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on