Skip to main content

tv   U.S. Senate  CSPAN  September 24, 2015 10:00am-12:01pm EDT

10:00 am
it features of the 12 cases were selected for the series with a brief introduction into the background, highlights and impact of each case written by better supreme court journalist tony mauro, published by c-span in cooperation with "congressional quarterly" press. ..
10:01 am
[cheering] conversations >> again live pictures from the house chamber where members are gathered at a joint meeting of congress as members awaited the arrival of pope francis giving a speech to the joint meeting this morning. after the speech he will speak at catholic charities in washington and he will then leave washington at 4:00 eastern bank for new york city for service at st. patrick's cathedral. [inaudible conversations]
10:02 am
>> mr. speaker, the pope. [applause] [applause]
10:03 am
[applause] >> a reminder that you can see live coverage of the speech to congress to the joint meeting of congress about to get underway in just a moment. we'll show it in its entirety on our companion network, c-span. coverage of the tour continues tomorrow from new york speaking to the general assembly that starts at 10 a.m. and then 11:30 you will lead a service that the 9/11 memorial. see that's tomorrow on the companion network and also on c-span radio and c-span.org. coverage of the senate continues when lawmakers gavel in at 1 p.m. eastern to continue debate on h. j. res. 61 the legislative vehicle for the short-term continuing resolution that would fund the government
10:04 am
through december 11 at the current spending levels increase federal funding for planned parenthood for a year. unless the group says it will not perform or fund abortions. and 2 p.m. the senate will hold a procedural vote on the bill. 60 votes needed to advance a continuing resolution. live coverage starting at 1 p.m. eastern right here on c-span2.
10:05 am
10:06 am
now republican campaign managers discuss their strategies in the 2016 presidential race greeted -- a law review editor rich lowry. >> i wanted to welcome everyone to what should be an interesting afternoon behind all of the brilliant youtube ads launched the cycle behind most of the creative debate one-liners and the town hall. there is a brilliant campaign manager. today we get to hear from the campaign managers. as google and youtube once again proud to partner with the national review to bring a program to inform all americans about the elections process and this promises to be an unpredictable and exciting cycle. americans are hungry to know more about the candidates, the
10:07 am
elections and campaign managers. we have seen an increase since the 2008 cycle. over 400 hours of the video are uploaded every minute every day. we are proud to do our part by live streaming this event on their channel, so i hope you go back and watch it again. we are most proud all americans can watch the events today even if they are not part of the beltway elite living in town. we are hoping that the kanya west campaign managers are out there taking notes. we want to turn over to host the national editor, rich lowry. >> thanks for being here. [applause] >> thank you for cosponsoring this with us. i would like to say my logistical situation is that we would do all these interviews keeping with the decorum and
10:08 am
being being separate about the foosball table that is apparently too radical for our friends at google and i just want to thank all of the campaign managers for taking the time to come out here. they are truly in the arena. there is nothing easier than being on the outside and criticizing people for all the things that are supposedly being done wrong. i've never run a campaign. i've never run for office. i've never had to deal with the press corps every day the way you guys do although i may have gotten a hit of what it's like because it's weeks ago, my wife and i had our first baby, a beautiful little girl. [applause] and that is a little bit like dealing with the press corps. she requires constant care and feeding. and if you displease her she will whine and cry shamelessly so this might sound familiar. so, john is the chief strategist for rick santorum.
10:09 am
thanks for joining us. >> let me start out with what seems to be one of the big questions confronting the campaign as well as others is seeing from the early indications that people are interested in traditional political experience. they are interested in anyone that has been around the block a few times and your candidate was in the senate for a while but left in 2006 and has run for president once before and has been around for a while now. how do you make him fresh and new or is that even necessary? >> our campaign doesn't have a campaign manager by design. which as you know ran for president in 2012 we also basically didn't have a campaign manager. we structurally it's a shame that the campaigns differently
10:10 am
because we feel like this isn't the 1960s anymore. number twocombined to lead strategist on the campaign and the media consultant of the campaign and what i find kind of enjoyable because i do a lot of press for the senator as well is i'm getting asked the exact same questions i got asked four years ago where they said you have a candidate that lost the last race by 18 points. >> i haven't brought that up yet. >> she lost by 18 points. he's running last and i will tell you last time he won in iowa and the only reason he was behind jon huntsman who had pulled out of iowa and events i am pulling out because in new hampshire they pick presidents. so now, two weeks later he ends up winning iowa and to refresh
10:11 am
everybody's memory he won 11 out of the 30 as far as the delegates in michigan and alaska and probably the belief is they would have won michigan out right as long as the people believe you did to us understanding the fluidity of the races and understanding that you look at the cnn poll and scott walker is under 1%. i never said he and having a lot of questions about three months ago people ask me how are you going to stop scott walker. if you go back four years ago in the lead was herman cain, michele bachmann, mitt romney was there, gingrich. a lot of people didn't have the pairing and most of them didn't even get past iowa state u. have to take a look and understand the way the races are in first you have to understand there isn't one primary right now or one caucus.
10:12 am
there are many. different people are running against different people and another words for sure he's probably running against huckabee to some degree. whatever it is. so there is a primary. second of all, nobody is going to win this race by getting a bunch of 50% state they will get by getting a lot of 15% and 18%. and so, you start running a race this way and it's different i've been involved in the last four presidential races and with rudy giuliani i can tell you it was the strangest experience of my life because we would sit in our war room and see all these places really is up by 15 points and yet we knew he was going to have a lot of trouble because he doesn't bring to be conservative enough for the primary voters and so i think everybody's got to take a deep breath and understand that this is unlike any other election it's like
10:13 am
those races on steroids. john mccain came this close to getting out of the race and so again i feel like i'm answering a lot of the same questions. we run our race. we don't do it on the money. there is an interesting statistic last time in iowa rick santorum did a study spending $22 on. kerry spent $768 per caucus so the other benchmark that i keep noticing everybody is trying to use its money race and it doesn't mean all that much anymore and the republican primaries because trust me when people walk off and vote on the primary days they are basing it on ads, and i do this for a living. at least when there's 20 candidates were 16 candidates. when you get down to one or two two then they matter a lot more in my opinion.
10:14 am
>> do you reject the analysis that everyone has bought into that carly, carson and the trump safety to want new and different. are you reading that more as just an artifact of temporary polling that you've seen before and saw last time and everyone is overinterpreting? spinnaker are exceptions compared to any other. any place people say are you kidding me donald trump are you serious and the truth of the matter is and i will be the first to say i went on cnn three weeks ago and said after the first debate his 15 minutes of fame will be up. the reason i believe i was dead wrong if i didn't misunderstand donald trump, i misunderstood the people that were supporting donald trump and in fact the closest i can give you to them is a lot of people probably supported ron paul. because we see where the behavior of trump he seems to
10:15 am
solidify the base even more and all of that is evidence that he's not going to be like everyone else and so you start the rules this sort of start to go out the window. number one, i do think that there is a desire absolutely without a doubt. the second of all you got to factor into that but in the early stages but all they know about some of these candidates. herman cain was an anti-outside washington candidate who waited for the top because of that but they can tell you very little as they did in overtime i think it was proof that he should be president. >> if you look at the difference between last time and this time you mentioned some candidates are running against the
10:16 am
specifics. you mentioned mike huckabee. correct me if i'm wrong i would put carson in that category and ted cruz in that category. maybe there are a couple a missing. but doesn't that make for a much more crowded and competitive playing around in iowa than last time? >> absolutely and i would say much more credible field than last time. one thing we felt very coachable last time as we could come into the top three in iowa and once you have in the top three in iowa is like a reset not the romney reset but i matter where you shuffle the deck and have a smaller number of candidates and then we felt we could be the conservative alternative because we felt the other candidate ever to move forward within the field of conservative and so we saw the path. this time i would like to say there's about 16 people running and none of them are probably the frontrunner.
10:17 am
my argument that i've been saying about limiting these debates this might be the greatest people of any party putting together something in one party running for president in history. i think it is a remarkable field and when somebody like scott walker is struggling to in my opinion is a very credible candidate and so they are all well behind in some sense. you look at the polls in iowa if you take the people that are up 1% and 7% of the vast majority of candidates right now that just shows how good the field is not helpful or and i think it's difficult it's a longshot at this point. >> there was a suggestion from sean spicer in an interview the other day that there will not be an undercard debates next time. instead there will just be interviews and you can read the need to surface there and it sounds like an attempt to sort
10:18 am
of rush people off the stage and out of the debate. do you think that is correct and if so what would you do to push back against the? >> that's how a lot of people interpreted it. it's a huge mistake at this point to say okay we have had two debates and everything has been settled. my client participated in 23 debates. so what they did this site know we are not doing it this time we are going to mirror it down to ten or 11. okay 23 is probably too many. everyone got that but now we are saying not only are we reducing the number of debates we are going to pick the person at the end of 2%. that's just ridiculous. case in point is carly fiorina. carly fiorina would never have made it into the second debate in the higher level so i just think at this stage there's nothing advantageous for anybody
10:19 am
to do that. >> how would you go about doing it because obviously the deal this time around was to any. >> too many. >> i agree i think they should have done eight and 8-quart eight and seven because frankly i think you want a combination of people. i will guarantee you we watched the first debate and it was well covered. i will take lindsey graham. they were just as well in that debate. there is no doubt in my mind that he's out there for 23 debates in this race last time. right now to use some of these as a factor to say something had three or 4%, first of all statistically that makes no sense as a party. they still have very variations. it's almost more like a three-dimensional. who is in and who else will change the field and so donald trump even if he is not the
10:20 am
nominee has changed and will change this. you can take somebody out that shouldn't be there but you are giving somebody an advantage by doing that and i think that is -- it doesn't make sense when you're talking about people that are two-term governors or senators, people who want iowa. it seems absurd to me. >> is rick basically back to what he did last time just pounding the ground in iowa visiting pizza ranch after pizza ranch? >> first of all, what i will do -- right now there's the governor's race in virginia, louisiana doing a number of races. every one o those races is different. every candidate is different. so, you've got to remember he's not an elected official that can
10:21 am
raise money. believe me it's easier if you are a governor or senator right now. he doesn't have a tv show like trump or mike huckabee. he has to deal with the fact that he is not going to ever have money like they will. on the other hand, what he did have is an asset developed over time and the republican primary, the most conservative vote and be seen as a they see him as a trusting conservative academics you going to the evangelical community, home school community, groups like that that have a lot of trust, that's how he ended up winning iowa last time and they wanted to vote for some of the bbb didn't -- they believed in. >> let me hit you with two lightning rod questions i have to ask everyone. what is the one moment, the one move from another campaign or candidate so far that make you think that was good i wish i
10:22 am
thought of that, and number two, what is the most endearing quality that all the buzz on the outside might not be privy to tube you are? >> i thought that was actually signing the pledge that he would run as a third party because i think i believe about two weeks ago there was a shift in the campaign if you watch it carefully. for the first time they started to believe they could win and i think they tried to become more credible. i thought actually in the debate he tried to be more careful in how he chose his words and i think that he understands he has popularity but he has to prove that he can represent the party. >> do you think that he can win the? >> before i would have said no but the oddity of what i see now there is incredible. i'm dealing with a lot of state elections so i think that let's put it this way i never thought
10:23 am
herman cain was ultimately possible to be the nominee because i thought he had problems. i never thought that newt gingrich would ultimately be the nominee. there are scenarios with this many candidates in the race but trump has ownership of something. think about it. chris christie was supposed to be the plain talking one. trump stole that from him. he's stolen something from almost every candidate that has hurt them and help themselves. so with this many people i don't know how you can rule them out at this point. >> 3029, 28 seconds the most endearing quality at the rest of us are not aware of. >> my opinion if he doesn't change my ad. we did an ad against romney where i had the look-alike chasing him with what looked like an automatic weapon.
10:24 am
he would think i'm crazy and he said i have a big change. if he's not changing that, he's not changing everything. [applause] >> welcome. thanks so much. >> chip englander of the rand paul campaign. so, i will start with the same question i asked john which is there seems to be an emphasis on the candidates that are new and different don't represent politics as usual and i think that a year ago or so a lot of people would say who does that describe who's likely to be a candidate? that doesn't seem to have applied to him yet. what is your thought about that? >> people are sick of the system
10:25 am
and they want to shake things up and that is something that ultimately does play to the credit and he mentioned a year ago there was something that was strongly associated with him and the reality is john talked about quite a bit it is a fluid race. things go up and things go down. there's news breaking now about governor walker is he going to get out of the race tonight in first place and so it's an incredibly fluid race when you look for years ago he talked about in august and first place michele bachmann was introduced in september rick perry was in first, herman cain and newt gingrich and the top two in iowa and new hampshire and nevada before that you have right now huckabee and mccain in single digits. they were up by seven months and would lose it by 20 so this is
10:26 am
how these things go and that is what makes it a lot of fun. >> another factor people will raise that's shaped the environment in a way that has been difficult to deal with it seems with the beheading of james foley the public shifted in the more hawkish traction certainly among the republicans and a lot of people think that made it harder going than they would have off so when you accept the premise that there is a shift in public sentiment and hasn't made has it made it tougher for the campaign? >> he follows the foreign-policy doctrine so he believes america should have the greatest military in the world and shouldn't be afraid to protect the interest that it also doesn't mean that we should be for intervention. he did oppose the unnecessary interventions in libya and the
10:27 am
arming of all qaeda and isis and the reality is isis fights us with western arms and we have to be very careful on the foreign-policy approach to keep america safe. >> did you feel that shift in the public opinion and do you think that is a real thing? spinning to talk to the politicization. >> it's not just beheading itself it is after people saw that and were appalled by it, you look at the numbers and even for the ground troops to fight isis you've seen the majority support for dot i-india environment that's much different than immediately after the end of the year when there was a reaction on the right.
10:28 am
we can't do nation building. >> he thinks we need to have boots on the ground and that is the area that most impacts that we don't want to send through to our young men and women to go and die in the reality is that's where a lot of americans are and that's where the classic republican foreign policy has been historically. >> i hate to do this to you but let's talk about trump. a few weeks ago, they began to go after him and the result of that scene would not be evident and certainly didn't seem to help. what was the thinking behind the tactic and are you going to keep that going forward, what is your thought on that? >> 538 about a few weeks ago in the analysis of the media coverage they found that he was
10:29 am
getting more coverage than all the other candidates combined. so that's an extraordinary share of voice in the race. so if you are not engaging and you were just sort of completely falling out of the conversation and if he is great to be the frontrunner frontrunner than we do have a conversation about what that means as a party and where we stand, so that's about jumpstarting that conversation. >> what is something senator paul expected to gain is something that you considered necessary given the status in the race? >> he speaks from the heart and he speaks about the things he cares about and he worries about having somebody that there's many parts of the record about are concerned to that are concerned to lots of conservatives out there and that is the primaries are the time to litigate those things. so there are people who would tell you in iowa most of them
10:30 am
are associated with ted cruz but they will tell you that he's been able to eat into the libertarian support out there do you think there is any truth to that and what is lining up for you? >> i think that things lined up very well for us. the reality is you take a look at the iowa caucus there's people that participated in the caucus years ago and there's been hundred 20,000 students in iowa. four years ago ron paul finished 3,803 votes short of winning the caucus and they were january 3. this time it is february 1. first time in over a decade at
10:31 am
when the school is in session and the students are going to be around. so you look at that map and you can see how much opportunity there is out there. >> so in other words some of those kids love rand paul and make him the winner every year are going to be in school. >> iowa has doubled the population but half the participants because it the caucus states and when you look at how many students are there isn't one of the bigger states that there is the students like iowa, university state those are the biggest schools in the country so there is a disproportionate student strike. just this past weekend in the
10:32 am
straw poll this is the biggest straw poll so far and just this past weekend rand paul one and finished ahead. he was writing from the debate last week and yet we still win. that is indicative of the passion passion of passion that fell passion of hell for us among our supporters. >> talk about the political aspect of that organization because something that ron paul was kind of pioneered ad was the digital, the online, the e-mail organizing. how have you followed that up and and take in the pool further down the field? >> the reality is that republicans are going to be competitive. this isn't as simple as we need to go capture what obama did. if the republicans last year do what obama did then we are going to lose and it will be a whole evolution and we are running this campaign. it is a crowded source digital campaign.
10:33 am
we have released the logo and we are the only campaign that has a bumper sticker and t-shirt design contest we are putting the videos every single week. we are the first candidate to get a snapshot interview and we did a periscope interview and we have millions of followers between doctor and facebook so we have a real emphasis on it. the reality is facebook and digital has become the 21st century. so the other side of the coin in these kind of campaigns is the big dollar fundraising and there've been reports out there that senator paul doesn't necessarily like doing that so much which i wouldn't blame him i wouldn't like it myself but is that true? the >> my first cycle was 2000 there were a lot of candidates out there that this is one of the important parts of the campaign. it's james foley works at it and he doesn't. does it. there's stories put out by that
10:34 am
guy is but the reality -- that's all just part of the process people run to. >> just before you came on, john was talking about how everyone is running against a certain set of other candidates and not necessarily the rest of the field. do you think that is true and if so who is rand paul running against? the >> the reality is the country has intractable problems and they want a bold transformational leader and i think senator paul is the person and that means just getting out there and talking about the tax to balance the budget and support for term limits and required congress to read the bills. i think that we are in great shape. >> now on the career politicians, some critics look at the maneuverings that happened in kentucky so he could run both the president and for senate for the primary caucus
10:35 am
and say if there's anything that would define atypical career politician type of move, that would be it. >> the reality is if you look at most they are pretty common in the presidential elections just four years ago paul ryan when he ran for vice president simultaneously running for the reelection to the house, joe biden running for the election of the senate is a fairly common thing that's not unusual. >> that's making my point it's something politicians do all the time. >> he doesn't claim not to be a career politician i don't think. >> that'll be up to the voters to decide but i don't think anybody would ever classify as a conventional politician. >> so are you privy to how often he talks to ron and does he ever give him advice? >> he has been out a few times come he was at our announcement speech and they saw each other
10:36 am
in texas a month or so ago doing some fund-raising so just two weekends ago they saw each other in st. louis at an event where his mom received an award so they see each other from time to time. >> let me ask you this, the two questions i would ask everyone at the end is there a moment from another candidate or campaign where you thought that was smart, that was shrewd, we should have thought about that command what is the most endearing quality the rest of us might deal with? >> there've been several moments that there have been, you know, several really good campaigns that are out there. i think the way that carly handled trump about her appearance i thought that was well done. she really cut his balls off like a precision surgeon. [laughter] i thought the statement from two
10:37 am
debates ago was well done. >> i think the announcement was done and there's been an opportunity people have done well with and that's for the end hearing qualities and i think the fact for about 20 years come he has done free eye surgery as you know he's an ophthalmologist and i surgeon and he has been doing charitable work. this year he went to haiti and last year he went to guatemala so i think that speaks to his heart and passion. >> how long have you known him? >> i've known him for a few years in the cycles past he had supported some candidates that i worked for but really so less. >> thanks for being with us. appreciate it. [applause]
10:38 am
>> we are waiting for the bush campaign. he might be too busy reorganizing the strategy in light of the scott walker news. i thought a little like dan rather when someone handed me the note. is this true? "the new york times" says that of course it's true. >> ladies and gentlemen, danny making his dramatic entrance on the stage. [applause] so, thanks for being with us.
10:39 am
how shocked are you by this news about scott walker? >> it is surprising. these campaigns are tough and mr. scott walker is a good guy and we will see what the news is that it's actually coming out of this. i would like to hear it first but he's a good man. >> let me ask you a couple of questions that come from the conventional narrative about the campaign. you are obviously welcome to push back. one narrative is that you guys are coming into this with shock and awe but you certainly are going to be a fairly dominant position from the beginning at least where mitt romney was just a pretty solid second even though people were up ahead of
10:40 am
him at various times and instead, we see bush just kind of there. >> when you are running for president of the united states you have to work hard everyday. we have a candidate that will not be outworked. he outworked his staff each and every day and we are very confident that our team and our strategy and everything that we've put forward has a long focus. this isn't about being in the united states in september, october. it's about rising in february, being competitive in the march states and being able to communicate a message more effectively than anyone else. i think from our perspective we are pretty confident once all the cards are dealt on the table. when you say that he outworked his staff, tell us what that looks like.
10:41 am
he's putting in 18 hours a day to be elected president. anyone that knows him should know that isn't entirely surprising. that's the way that he governed for eight years so from our perspective, that's what we see each and every day. >> so another thing that you will hear often said about the governor is that prior to getting and i'm only going to do it if i can do it joyously and it seems as though the presidential campaign in this error is to sort of inherently isn't that joyous for some of who is a policy bond or an introvert and especially this time when it's been dominated by someone that considers donald trump a clown and he is losing to him. he hasn't seemed to particularly
10:42 am
enjoy this process very much to those of us arcing at it from the outside. >> i see what you did there. >> the thing is he really enjoys meeting people and hearing their stories. he likes talking about their ideas and policies and the impact that will have on these individuals. so he's able to talk about the impact that it will have for them to look back on the gubernatorial record particularly in the area of education. you may see something different about -- >> it is also taken as among the journalists that the constant low-energy from trump has gotten
10:43 am
under his skin and has gotten in his head because he seems to bring it up all the time himself now and in fact as the secret service codename is going to be response to the charge to be ever ready. >> eveready is the term that he used as governor. i think that there is a lot of talking in the presidential campaign. i think that there needs to be more showing in the presidential campaign. i am not worried about september. i have a candidate is out there working hard every day whether it's it had the reform in washington or whether it is how to to grow the economy or the reform and on and on and there are those ideas but just with the record of performance that is unmatched in the field. he had the best conservative accomplishments in the field. so he has a lot of credibility when he goes out and says this
10:44 am
is what i'm going to do for america. why? because this is my record in florida, 4.4% growth, 1.3 million jobs, 19 billion tax cuts, eight years of a balanced budget in the bank account, aaa bond rating. we would be better off if we had a record like that in that kind of stewardship so from our perspective, we know that if we tell the story he will be the last one standing in the nomination ballot. >> you are absolutely real and you've been at this for a while. did you at any point or do you at any point now where he is someone that hasn't run since 2002? you don't think that he has -- you think that his performance is as good as it is going to be three months from now? >> i think that any candidate
10:45 am
and every candidate needs to improve every day as does his team. that is part of the process and from our perspective we are working hard every single day and there are always these things that can be done definitely or creatively or whatever else. so from our perspective this is about growing and building on yesterday and about getting better. that's what winners do. we are not going to declare halfway through. you're not going to give to the playoffs and from our perspective that is where we are at. >> a couple of months ago the governor made a really definitive statement i am done talking about donald trump. enough. i'm going to do my own thing and not address him and then in another couple of weeks he was
10:46 am
really deliberately going after him and at war with him. what's changed? >> the colleagues in the state have a tendency to ask questions that are exclusively focused on one individual and so there is bad. but from our perspective, what needs to be focused onto a greater degree is the policies that he is rolling out, what he's doing each and every day to address the chamber of commerce and the regular tory policy tomorrow and that is the crux of the campaign. it's those ideas and those policies and that is what he's talking about day in and day out some things may get heightened. it's the nature of the beast if you will. but if you look at what the candidate talks about in its entirety in its totality, i think it far away he's focused
10:47 am
on what he believes, what his record is and how he's helping people. >> so there was no moment people sat down and said you know what everyone thought he would be a summer phenomenon and that isn't true. we have to throw some punches. >> i think look no candidate or campaign is going to allow the tax to go and responded to and on responded to and so there is an element of that for sure. but you win the presidency by selling yourself, you win the presidency by selling your ideas and win the presidency by making sure that you connect with people on the ideas how to positively impact their lives in a forward-looking way. that's what needs to be mapped into the threshold that needs to be crossed. we are in these consequential times comes up from our perspective when i have the candidates with the greatest record of achievement and with the best vision to move the country forward and i think it is the most credible argument,
10:48 am
why would i hide that and why wouldn't i pick up front and center to make the argument that we do each and every day? spack how are you going to play in iowa and can you survive? >> we play and play to win. from our perspective, we intend to run a competitive campaign and we intend to do very well. we have a candidate that ran three times as the most popular state in the country, the most competitive of the largest purple state. he left office for something near 60% of the approval rating. somebody that got the outside of the amount of hispanic votes and female votes. we believe with that record of success, with the policy idea
10:49 am
that we can compete anywhere and if we happen to have the resources to do it. >> so you are all in in iowa and there isn't going to be this cute footsie. you're all in and expect to win? >> we are playing to win in all of the four primary states and to win the march states and afterwards. >> so, new hampshire you are probably playing to win. >> i learned slowly how much harder is it going to be in new hampshire having to deal with john kasich that early on has shown some potency in new hampshire and chris christie that we can conclude from the left may have more life in him than he has shown us so far and the conventional wisdom is the establishment center-right candidates that are in the lane.
10:50 am
>> i think the republican party should feel very kind of proud of the embarrassment of riches that we have on the stage. there are a lot of accomplished guy is running for the highest office in the land. from our perspective obviously we need to compete very hard in new hampshire. we have visited very frequently and ask them to continue to be the case. i think that when we look at these issues in new hampshire such as the economic tax issues and the governors wreck of accomplishment it fits very nicely. when you look at some of the concerns with how dc is so broken and dysfunctional and you look at the reforms that he instituted in tallahassee and the policies that he's put forward with regards to the term limits and the balanced budget amendment and some of these other areas those are policies that present data strongly, so
10:51 am
we look forward to a spirited conversation with governor christie and as i said -- connection i read that as a threat? >> i think that we have the best end of the most accomplished conservative record on the stage. i think we have the soundest policies and we look forward to the conversation. >> so what do you think of the best moments in the debate last week is when he pushed back against the attack on his brother and said one thing i know about my brother he kept us safe and ever since then, you've had a liberal columnist saying that is completely out of true showing photos of the world trade center is getting attacked on september 11 what do you think of the pushback against? >> it is fairly obvious for any kind of an objective person that's looking at what transpired and we are very proud of the families so there's that.
10:52 am
but once again i kind of get back to what i was saying about the core message is the most personal vote a voter makes. when you look at the next most personal is probably the governor and so they are really going to look at you and they want to know who you are and what you believe and what you've done. and they are going to want you on a television set and in their kitchen for the next four years. so from our perspective, we need to show our mark and run hard and tell our story that we believe we have the resources to do that fairly and effectively and we are going to compete everywhere and built a grassroots organization of the technologically savvy and compete to win. >> so comprehensive immigration reform some of which the
10:53 am
governor supports was completed in 2006 for the campaign when he supported it and the gang of eight bill was defeated this time around and marco rubio immediately after that. >> so this is a warning to come up with >> even now you look at the party and it seems further right than it was a year or two ago. how hard does that make it for the governor to sell their the position on immigration, and number two, are you worried that with the topics on immigration law to the entire that the element of the general election campaign will be mature difficult. >> i think that the polling clearly demonstrates people want a solution. there is a problem and they want
10:54 am
it resolved. i think the governor put forward a competence of plan with respect to how it addresses the board on the issue of immigration and this is one of those big issues. florida has been like 30 years since it's been addressed. so who has the wherewithal to get it done? may be the person that built with medicaid in florida or had big achievements. so that would be the key indicator of where we would get it done and so it is an important issue that we need to debate when we talk about governor bush as we said earlier, he's someone that had an outside performance with hispanic voters in florida. he's someone even today who is around 35, 36, 37% in the polls, general election. he's someone to compete. he can win. he's campaigning with his arms wide open and i think that
10:55 am
conservatives can be confident that he is someone that is going to put forward a solution that is going to secure the border and is going to put place in the mechanisms to make sure this is an issue that is addressed once and for all and i think the record bears that out and he's going to continue to campaign as someone that is solution oriented. >> so quickly the best moment for another campaign in the most endearing quality. >> he gives out his e-mail address to everybody that he needs. people e-mail him and he responds. it's kind of the back and forth and he is someone that really wants to engage people on an individual and personal level and as far as something one of the other campaigns did that was pretty smart, i felt the response from the super pack to
10:56 am
donald trump was well done. >> thank you. appreciate it. [applause] >> next is terry sullivan. welcome. [applause] >> since we live in the instant reaction world, any instant reaction it hasn't quite happened yet but a gradual report is going to happen. >> we actually just nail down the new hampshire state cochair so a little bit of news for you that i got just a moment ago. we are working hard and we got a few other folks that we are
10:57 am
prepared as people move on in the race to kind of capitalize on it and pick up supporters. >> people don't stop running for president because they run out of ideas or. they run out of the desire to give speeches and they stop running because they run out of money and that is why we run such the campaign attacks. but keeping the control of the budget is such an important thing. >> and we don't know why exactly did we would assume that is the case. >> so, tell us a little bit more about how we the operation is and what are the examples of things that you are not doing that other people are doing that is smart in a way to husband your resources. >> the staff is so expensive because it is extremely expensive to go out and pay someone especially early staff. when you are paying someone it's
10:58 am
not too bad when you pay them for 12 months created a big difference. so we ask a lot more of people. actually everybody on the campaign has taken a pay cut myself included that whatever job they had some people came from the office and other people came from other lines of work or other campaigns. everybody is making less so i want people in the office to be there because they want to be. we also don't make staff news or send out news releases. there's not really money-saving obviously but it's a state of mind. we are all here. it's not about us running on the news releases looking for exorbitant amounts of money. it's about saving money. every expense over $500 in the entire campaign i sign a piece of paper on.
10:59 am
it's a giant pain in the ass. i was asked recently by one of the staffers can we bump it up to a thousand which in some of the county fairs the table is a little of her 500 it's become onerous and i said you think there are cases that we are actually not getting the table at such and such events because of it and she said to me yeah. i said perfect, then it's working. no one ever won or lost the presidency because they had a table at the manchester affair. that's not why you win. we actually hardly get out anything in the way of bumper stickers or yard signs. you can go out and buy them. because a county chairman pack so if you want you can put in there if you want to -- >> people have to pay to be part of the campaign.
11:00 am
>> you can actually sponsor someone. you can sponsor a county and say i want it sent here or there. we just need this or that. we need volunteers. okay great we will send it wherever you want or find a donor. i get this from some of the folks they say spend $100 on the website and suddenly it happens and it works. so part of it is that only $100 here or here. it adds up and it creates a culture and mindset that is different. marco rubio flies 90% commercial, always coach and gets mileage upgrades. ..
11:01 am
he needs bush to collapse. or to fizzle on the launch pad. any truth to that and whether not there's truth to that, is bush fizzling on the launch pad? >> we need everybody not named marco to fizzle. that is the plan. look, we need everybody to slowly kind of fizzle out and we think there will. no disrespect to them. it's just that we are building
11:02 am
this for the long haul. we have a candidate we believe is designed for the long haul in that he is not going to make headlines every day. he's not going to be the guy in any debate that comes up with the best one-liner. just not going to begin. he's going to be the guy over the course of the debate you will say i'm kind of comfortable. i believe that voters want to elect a president, someone for president that they can drink a beer with but they know is responsible enough to not drink too much so they can try them out afterwards. it's really what it comes down to pick. >> thank you, thank you a cut rate for this stuff? [laughter] >> i know. he just pays me in beer. no. but just the sense, you what someone who is more responsible and, frankly, feel like their command and control of the situation but that, but you can
11:03 am
identify with him still. so and that's where marco is out. you feel like you're watching up on stage and just a mere personal, this is a guy who conduct east coast versus west coast rap and makes jokes about the chapelle show but at the same time just sending on foreign policy and schools for those of foreign policy experts. so to have someone like that i think is a unique candidate. we are fortunate. >> so to simplify and some pop i think what you said, you are kind of making a bet on his talent, and you think is a that long-term? >> this sounds a little bit like spin or bs but i think every campaign has, successful campaign has to bet on their candidate. every candidate has strengths and weaknesses, but you've got
11:04 am
do. if you're trying to make your candidate somebody they are not, voters come you can say what you want about voters and sometimes i do, but they have this unique ability to sniff out the yes. if you're going to tell them look, no, no this is not what our candidate is. look over here. instancininstancin g is exactly what our candidate is then you may disagree but at the end of the this is who our candidate and that's why that's a good thing. our job is like to say what it's a good thing, not doe is it is s or it isn't that. them i believe any successful campaign. when you try to make voters believe someone is something they're not it just doesn't wo work. >> speaking of having a dim view of voters one of my favorite statement of that is the late great mode udall the rent i believe lost down in the new hampshire primary and came out at the podium that night and said the voters have spoken, the bastards. three making this bet on his talent. the criticism you hear of the strategy is it's much riskier
11:05 am
than a kid who has a clear ideological base the way ted cruz does, the way john kasich on the other wing of the party does. or a clear geographical base, the way again i think cruz would in the south spent so you're saying like john mccain and mitt romney, george w. bush, bob dole. and none of our nominees have had either of those two things for quite a while. will you a lot about which is, which of the legs of the three-legged stool are you going to be. which a shoreline for the read report said this. three-legged stool for a reason. republicans do best when they embrace all three legs. when you are only a one like a candidate, you can't stand up. so to that extent, look, we're
11:06 am
not and each candidate where we only have one leg and we will double down on that link. -- niche candidate. we also does get anybody. when you look at these, yes, you have to become the first choice of enough people of the pathway to do that is to not be scary to any part of the party. there are diehard ted cruz supporters who think, yeah, i like marco rubio. and there are diehard jeb bush supporters who are like him i like marco rubio. that's important because it's not just about, or gaza today was a long time ago, public get in trouble when i repeat conversations i had. i would ever want to be the nominee of the week party. so to the party -- the week party. if you don't have a sustainable party and you're not a sustainable candidate for general election, what's the point? you shouldn't just be about john election comes shouldn't abandon the principle. but you should absolutely not
11:07 am
sacrifice everything the candidates in the past get hurt by that, i try to overcome, savings a public movie don't believe in order to win a primary, then have to try to backtrack in the general. >> was every moment week i sat down, sal trump's rise and consider what to do about it? voted trump's rise fall in the category of everything that you just considered noise and your long range plan? >> know, because a couple things, number one, last week i had a research team, you know, let's look at the stroke of speaking who has been a first place at this point. in the second week of september based on publicly what was recently has been the real clear politics before complicated out of things like that, in four years ago last week the
11:08 am
front-runner was rick perry by 11 points. eight years ago it was hillary clinton by 16 points and rudy giuliani by 11. you can go back from there. the point is i said a lot, early polls don't mean anything. turns out i was wrong. they meet if you're in first place in the sacred in september you're guaranteed not to be the nominee of your party. there wouldn't be worst in my mind than being in first place right now. it's terrible. we would've for sure while at is the time we're when most concerned because "the new york times" write stories about how big the windows are on your house. literally at how well manicured your yard is. we are very happy with -- ideas i want to be in first place on one day, you have to be a few more than that i'm okay with it. >> comprehensive immigration reform. as i understand senator rubio
11:09 am
supports every single element of that to this day but just once do on a different timetable and in a different order, correct? >> here's what it's called me to the campaign managers and not meet the policy director. no one has ever paid me for my poly advice so we will start today. i just got a policy guy but i can speak to arcos plan. he tried to do something about it. this is what i go back to about not trying to make a candidate something you're not. markle is nothing from is like getting stuff done. he's a bundle of energy and wants to accomplish things. the very much did on immigration reform. he felt like this has to happen. he had people come to him and say we need you for the party. this is got to happen so we took the ball and ran with it. it failed. he's the first to admit, look, we did it in the wrong way. i do want to put words in his mouth. i wouldn't do it on any issue
11:10 am
much less this one but he now believes politics, in business or anything else, if something doesn't work and you continue to do it, you're an idiot. politics come if something doesn't work, everyone expects you to continue to do it or you're a sellout. it's kind unique. he believes the only way we'll get anything done, the real heart of the was no, we believe we're going to secure the border no one really, and probably rightfully so, that the obama administration was not going to secure the border. first let's prove to the american people here's what we're going to be. then let's work from there. >> so completely shamelessly superficial question. you ever worry he looks too young? >> no. know, anymore than bill clinton's campaign or barack obama's campaign of john f. kennedy's campaign. and i realize i'm talking about only democrats, outlook's
11:11 am
biggest republicans never nominate a new exciting guy. >> we get our ass kicked when we don't get what is a retread, after no disrespect to some of the nominees that when we do the person who started his, we just get trounced. there's a reason because an american voters are faced with a choice between the past and the future depicted future every time. we've got to stop being charlie brown to the democrats lucy. let's not try to kick the football again. >> we are out of time but a couple really good question because he is there ever a moment when you knew jeb bush was getting in but you know, markle is not getting in? >> never. never. look, never. >> so the chatter out there jeb will cut off a, take is based in florida, he's friends with him
11:12 am
-- >> that was the point is he was going to put the entire field and no one would ever consider getting in because there would be a juggernaut. that hasn't quite worked out. so look, steady wins the race. we were never intimidated. >> personal question. please be honest about this. have you ever had a write up marco rubio's luxury speedboats because i have not actually. as a matter of fact, i try to convince them that we needed to do for fund-raising gimmick, like enter online to get on any such as fully not, that's my boat, man, no way. he's not going to let somebody enter a contest online, he's not going to invite me. >> best move for someone else and most endearing quality. >> the best moment for anybody else is a big ted cruz who i think is what a smart campaign for the candidate he is.
11:13 am
inviting -- they have actually, sorry, they are the candidate that did not try to make some but he's not. and so, but inviting donald trump to that press conference is brilliant because none of you people would've covered it. >> the iran even? >> yes. know what would've covered it but instead they carried ted cruz live on all the networks. he never would've gotten about coverage but he got it because he invited from. that was pretty damn smart. olczyk and smart. most endearing quality, it's intriguing to have a candidate who can talk about music with. first time he talked with a bottle i met him, i happen to be there, and they started talking about music and marco explains to bono how we do these that u2 was kind of the first christian rock band and his wife and why,
11:14 am
i thought you were embarrassing for me. this is bono, please the bottom is like your right. we tried of a message, and i'm like, so he's just, he's somewhat of our generation and that's pretty cool. >> terry, thank you very much. >> thank you. [applause] >> spent not unexpectedly we have a little changed in the programming that i'm alerted by others posted the. rick wiley from the water campaign will not be joining us. and instead we're going to go straight to timmy teepell of the bobby jindal campaign. [applause] >> so i've asked everyone and i will ask you to react to the news about governor walker. >> surprised me.
11:15 am
>> well, you saw he did get an early rise in the polls. he cannot really start in january, and it's always smart what you take a dip down to come back. but i still didn't expect him to drop out this quickly. >> now, if you've been looking back or you may not been asking also questions based on conventional wisdom. so fair warning. the criticism you often hear of governor jindal in this campaign is here's a guy who was running for state health care system, i don't know, what, age 26 or something, who is a long walk and almost every room he's in his the smartest guy in the room that he seems to be running kind of a bomb throwing campaign that's not necessarily true to the years. what is your reaction to that?
11:16 am
>> the most visited page on our website, our policy positions and he's laid out policies on repealing obamacare, replacing it. i guess after 16 to 90 will be the only candidate in the race with a plan to replace obama to get he has an energy position, and education position. he's got position on national defense, and you still have to break through the clutter. you still have come you have 17, 20, 40 candidates industries. you stop to break through the clutter, including a 40 page policy papers doesn't allow you to break through the clutter. the press is not interested in covering that. and so if you're going to break through the clutter, if you're going to make a point you have to do it in a way that is going to be reported. if it's not reported is not said. >> would have been some of those ones where he feels he's broken through the clutter?
11:17 am
>> well, i would say that he came up here to lay out his case for why he thought trump would be the wrong nominee for, wrong candidate for america, wrong candidate for conservatism, that we shouldn't put our trust in somebody who's unproven, but doesn't share our conservative values. i thought that was a week but he was able to cut through the clutter. >> and talk a little bit about the strategic decision, if it was one, to go after trump that hard. >> i think the decision was more of, this election is monumental. this election, we are at a crossroads, and you look at the kennedy of trump -- candidacy of
11:18 am
trump, and if we go ahead and invest the presidency in a man like trump who cares about himself, who doesn't care about freedom, about liberty, about the first principles, we are going to make a big mistake as a country. he doesn't have a problem with big government. his problem is that he's not in charge of it. he's not going to reduce the size of government. he's not going to get rid of the burden of taxation, and get the economy going. he's not going to get the federal government out of education, allow choice to spring up. the things that we need to do as a country to bring back freedom, he's not interested in. so somebody needs to stand up and say hey, this isn't the right guy for the republican party. he doesn't represent our
11:19 am
principles. >> was there any worry that that kind of attack on trump so far hasn't seemed to work for anyone? rick perry seen or heard anything. of anything. it seems have gotten away and paul nowhere. how much of a concern is that? >> absolutely risk and fall because he's able to use a megaphone with a response. but it was important at this moment in the campaign at the time, he was the issue of the campaign. and it was the wrong direction for our party to go, the wrong direction for our country to go. so regardless of the risk it was important to say. >> so plot out for us what you guys see as what jindal's breakout would be. how is it going to happen, where is it going to happen, when is it going to happen? >> our strategy is an early state strategy, it's iowa. he's on a 99 count 99 county to.
11:20 am
he's halfway through it. he's been spending a lot of time in iowa, and he is, you know, the great thing about america's presidential elections is it's not a national primary is an early state primary and that gets people in iowa and new hampshire a chance to get to know the candidates. on a one on one basis, not just what they see on tv, not just what they see on the news but to actually visit within. these voters are serious but they will go through everything, every candidate, he will become to ask them questions. they will make their own decisions. that's key to our strategy for success is spending time in iowa, he didn't know the voters one on one and allowing them to be able to get a sense of the governor jindal is and his experience and his vision. >> i sometimes tell people if governor jindal could just campaign in groups of 12 people at a time he would win the presidency going away. this sounds a little like her strategy in iowa.
11:21 am
>> you need a little more than 12 in a room, but he does have come in louisiana is a state that's very retail heavy. it's a state that expect when you're running for governor that you're going to visit with them, they will get a chance to get to know you, and he was an unlikely candidate for governor when he ran. i.t. spend time, voters got to know him and they elected him twice by historic margins. margins. >> are there any harbingers, anything you guys look at as early indications of jindal catching on a potentially catching on in iowa speak with well, sure, in the post you will see the favorites go up and traditionally your image questions are leading indicators to ballot movement. and so we are watching that as his traveling around you can see, you know, we've got over
11:22 am
662 volunteers signed up in iowa. so building of the organization. that's overlooking at, number of volunteers and our faves and that moves into ballot and hopefully it does it right before the election. >> what does he say our get out there to get to those reaction but it seems to me that having been on the trail with him but just hearing what others say and hearing, reading reports that it's the immigration without assimilation come innovation, is that the thing that gets people going for most? >> badass. religious liberty is an issue -- that has. this idea that we are losing something as a country, if as a christian businessman, you can't operate a business according to your beliefs and according to your conscience, if we're going to force people to attend religious ceremonies against their conscience, that something
11:23 am
that strikes a chord. most recently it's been having a frank conversation about what's going on here in d.c., that we have come republicans have couple of the house and senate and yet it seems like on the big issues be continually surrender. when the democrats are in charge, they have no problem going balls to the wall to get done what they want to get done. you look at socialized medicine, ted kennedy pushpit, then hillary bush that obama came through and rammed it through, despite come in a lame-duck session. they just never give up on a. republicans tend to surrender even before we get a chance to fight on it. i look at, you look at the framework. we would have been unilaterally said okay, we will let you do this. so we may, there's a lot of
11:24 am
anger about republicans and our inability to fight and accomplish what we campaign on. >> so is the governor really and truly more angry at mitch mcconnell than barack obama? you may think that mcconnell has been too aggressive, has been aggressive enough, is too much of a tactician but these basically this govern this awareness president obama is disgracing our country overseas and going as far as they can toward socializing things. >> i think that the anger comes in from the fact that president obama and the democrats are honest about it, what they want to accomplish. they go very hard at accomplishing what they want to accomplish. we are told by republicans this is what we hope to accomplish from this is what we going to accomplish. and then we were told later that
11:25 am
summer, we really can't do that spirit you think mitch mcconnell and john mayer are dishonest, that they're just pretending to oppose these things and don't we want to stop them? >> i just wish with the same of a fight on our side that democrats seem to have on their side. >> so sean spicer at the rnc has said is likely to be the undercard debate next time and seems to want to shove the candidates down in the polls the images rather than to a debate stage, even early debate stage. what did you think of that? how would that affect you guys and how can you protect against? >> the rnc have a lot of important roles but i wouldn't think an important role of the rnc is to limit the field, limit the number of candidates to jump on the debate stage prior to anyone actually voting. i know that a lot of smart people got in the room after the
11:26 am
2012 elections and decided that the reason why republicans lost that election was we had too many debates. we allowed the firm -- the from or to get asking me questions and to criticize too much and too much conflict. went as a party did we become afraid of ideas? when did we become afraid of having robust debate about ideas? that is a great thing to have in a democracy, where you want it to be a meritocracy. and so the idea that you folks in d.c. say no, we need to limit the number of debates and when he to limit the number of people participating in these debates because we decided that that's the best thing for you voters to have. i think it's silly. >> so you think the rnc is trying to shut down the debate and shut down candidates and get them out of the race?
11:27 am
>> i think the autopsy said what he wants to do is have fewer debates, right? because they felt like mitt romney got beat up too much going through the debate. i just don't think that's healthy. i think as a party we shouldn't be afraid of debates. we shouldn't be afraid of ideas. let's have these debates. >> one could assume you'll hear the governor jindal especially from the left is how is this guy running for president when he's so unpopular at home? is the unpopular at home and if so, why? >> i think he may never what i can tell from the polls i think he's got about a 40% approval rating. i think that, the reason is, he told people in louisiana to things, he's going to shrink government and grow the economy. and louisiana, we had a very top heavy government for a long time.
11:28 am
huey long came in and created a government that was outsized. we couldn't afford it anymore. it was crushing our economy. and so governor jindal came in, and over the course of eight years, he cut the budget by $11 billion. that's a lot of money. he fired 30,000 state employees. so in a state where you have 2 million adults, everybody knows somebody who got laid off, a state employee who was laid off. is it popular come if you want to be part of which is you give money away, right? you expand medicare to everyone gets health care. you get free stuff to people. that's how you are popular as governor. he didn't run to be popular. he ran because our state needed to generational change. that's what he did. he shrunk government substantially. we had a government run hospital
11:29 am
system in louisiana that had been there since the 1920s. now it's all privatized. people said you can't privatize, you can't privatize the charity hospital system. it's just too ingrained in the culture industry. he privatized it. you look at education. statewide school choice. but to get rid of tenure for teachers. it's not a popular thing to give an tenure for teachers. he gave the largest tax cut, income tax cut in louisiana history. and, of course, that resulted in fewer revenues. people so we got its budget problems. it's not budget problems. we did it on purpose. we cut revenues would cut government. and he can't govern. when he ran these one by historic march of the first time. the only non-incumbent governor to win in the primary over 50% and got a record we elect rate. he went in there, accomplish what he needed to accomplish.
11:30 am
>> i can hear someone 25 now, some journalists tweeting jindal's campaign manager, unpopular you saw mitch daniels change things, scott walker did in wisconsin asia. chris christie has backed out also that no, but initially came back up when people sal results. so what's different in louisiana? >> we have to continue to revisit -- reduce the size of the governed. is not always popular to cut the size of government. i think though at the point where in america there's too much government spending. i think our debt is too large and this thing is too much and it does take somebody with backbone to go in and cut spending. i think that the spending is going to threaten our security, economic security. when you president obama say
11:31 am
that he didn't have the leverage he needed with iran vis-à-vis china, negotiate the deal because we are trying to bunch of money. the amount of spinning, the epidemic is affecting our security. our strength as a country. cutting government is important. >> so the font to question i ask everyone. what is the best moment for another campaign or candidate where you thought that was were smart, and was most endearing quality about bobby jindal that the rest of us don't know. >> definite the moment was comsat trumps have. the guy wears a hat everywhere. it's counterintuitive but it's great. the most enduring quality i think about governor jindal is he's a very kind man, and i think that doesn't always come across because he's got so much intellectual horsepower that you
11:32 am
don't get to see. >> can you give us an example of? >> there are times where he'll call me on my phone, and when my kids will answer. he'll talk to the kids. he just takes time with people. he just make people feel at home and welcome to you could use iowa town hall meetings, and he won't leave until in the has had a chance to talk to them. he will sit and talk to every single person, and it because he's a kind person. >> timmy, thanks so much. >> thank you, rich. [applause] >> and join us next will be christian ferry of the lindsey graham campaign. [applause] >> so your reaction to the big scott walker news?
11:33 am
>> i think the guy who else has said, it's kind of a surprise to see that news this early in the race. but the one thing i would say about is -- about it is it tells everyone whatever you reading today in the polls, whatever your standards of conventional wisdom had it was when he, who was losing, who' who the front-r is, it's all nonsense. it's all nonsense today to try to determine what's going to happen next january, february base on what he thinks -- see things to big scott walker good government, good man, done a good job in wisconsin. he was at one point the front runner industries. today he's gone. things change quickly. >> i don't mean to speak an insulting question but i've been personally curious, because senator graham is a lively. he loves the game. and in that first debate, was this something a little wrong? was he said, was he under the
11:34 am
weather quick just night and day that first debate. like where is lindsey graham. second debate is typical peppery, funny, lively lindsey graham. >> look, that was his first debate as a presidential candidate it's a big stage. bright lights but it's also a very strange debate. they put those candidates in an arena with no people in it. you could hear a pin drop from behind -- it was bizarre, very difficult situation to expect, especially someone like senator graham who feeds off people, who has this great sense of humor to perform in such a stale environment. i think that was a really unfortunate way to introduce those candidates in that sort of setting. >> were you guys aware before and they would not be a so basically in the agreement
11:35 am
except for just a few family and friends? >> i do want to get too far into what we heard, what we were told. >> we are here to get in the weeds. weeds. >> were told a number of different things. before and, afterwards, things change. we knew there was going to be much of an audience. that was not a surprise. >> how do you think he did in the second debate? >> i would say that he was by far the winner of that first forum at the reagan library, and i would say, and i'm little biased i guess, but i would say that he was the only one of anyone on either stage was ready to be commander-in-chief on day one, who laid out a plan how we are going to defeat radical islam and is prepared for that task. >> so i've been asking on the campaign managers negative questions based on the conventional wisdom because i am a journalist's. that's why we love any out with you all speaks of not kind of senator graham that this is a one issue candidate, and maybe even more than a one issue candidate, kind of a one policy
11:36 am
candidate. because when he comes back to it again, again, and again, you can almost asking anything in music 10,000 troops in syria. >> it's called message discipline or i'm going to try to do the same thing. let me turn the question back to you. what's more important to get in getting this right? people are trying to destroy our entire way of life. they are wreaking havoc around the world. it doesn't matter what our social security policy is if our citizens are not safe. if we don't get this war against radical islam right, nothing else truly matters. our country as a threat to our citizens are at threat. i found are at threat. we have to get this right and that will continue to be the major focus of his campaign. >> i know you're not a military expert, at least i assume you are not, so what is at number 10,000 come from except for being a nice round memorable number of?
11:37 am
my limited understanding of military affairs, if you 10,000 guys in the country, we take logistics, when you take force protection, when you take search and rescue, you probably have about 50 guys who are going to be fighting. >> look, i'm not running for president. senator graham has been working in the rain on this for decade. he's been on the ground 35 times between distress as a senator and his diplomat as a reservist. he talks to military commanders. he talks to foreign policy, national city expert. these are numbers i think he is become comfortable with based on those conversations and based on his experience. i couldn't to you based on my own expense because that's not where i become a political consultant dick you don't want me giving military advice. >> so when does he get his bump? do you expect any bump from the
11:38 am
under card of the big? >> i do expect all a bit of a bump from that debate and i think look, this campaign is a long drinking process, and if the facts were determined today, we wouldn't bother to run a campaign. our job, my job as campaign manager, is a gradual incremental progress a peak in january before people. not trying to win the race in september figure before. try to win it next you what folks are going to the polls and caucuses start happening. will have a slow climb to get and that's been our strategy all along. >> how does he match up in your mind in iowa put the conventional wisdom would be iowa tends to reward these very conservative, very socially conservative candidates, and senator graham has a reputation as more center-right guy. >> i think that's a fair point. i think we have to see how this race is going to shake out in iowa. a few weeks ago we were talking
11:39 am
about scott walker being the front runner in iowa. he's not in th not in the race m on the candidates are going to be injuries, caucus next year, and i don't know how the ideological puzzle breaks up in terms of who's dividing up what segment of the vote. but senator graham i think you look at your schedule, where he has been spent his time, the big focus for them has been enhanced and will continue to be new hampshire. >> i got some of the other guys this question, but sean spicer said that i sean spicer said there's sean spicer said that i could get under card of it next time, and that's a policy that seems to be designed to relegate candidates like yours to some sort of any department and not let him on a stage whatsoever. >> it's interesting to you the rnc said that because supposedly the rnc has nothing to do with the debate criteria. i would ask sean spicer how is it that you know what cnbc is going to do if you have no role? i think we did the cbc then
11:40 am
asked moderator determine the criteria and i think the rnc as any republican should want, we have a lot of great candidates running for president. let's find a way to teach as many of them as we can to it's good for our party. we should be embracing this is a good thing about conservatism, good thing about our message rather than having a party play the role that the voters are supposed to play. the voters get to whittle down the race, not the rnc. >> would you be open to participate in some alternate debate sponsored by some other media organization? >> i think you're one of the best ideas. i suggested it can take all the people who are still in the race, divided in half by random draw and then have two forms. that we could see in a smaller setting all these candidates show off their talents and make their case. i would hope that the rnc, i hope the cbc, i hope that others can i deny me candids will be left by the time we get to
11:41 am
october 28 so this may be a moot point. >> how would you characterize the senator's thinking on where the party is on immigration? he's been out there and very forthright about his position for a very long time and hammered away at it, some would say bang his head against the wall over. it seems the party is only sliding further right. >> look, i think the key thing from senator graham's perspective is immigration is a problem. we are not doing anything about it right now. we've got to find a way to fix the problem or by doing nothing where continuing to grant amnesty. that's the one thing i think all republicans agree on is that we've got to do something to solve this problem. people have different ideas for how to do it but it didn't senator graham, as he thinks about most issues, looks at it in a pragmatic way of what's actually doable. i'm going to be honest, whether it tells me politically are not that i'm going to be honest with the american people and give
11:42 am
them what i think is the straight story. >> would you characterize his personal view of donald trump as a bald? >> i don't think he liked it when donald trump gave out his cell phone number. that was an interesting day. we couldn't figure, why is he your phone ringing? >> something is happening. hope they are donors to do was not. it was very angry donald trump supporters. i think that his personal views about donald trump our public.com account is not ready to be commander in which the folks at candidates who are. >> back on the phone were you secretly relieved that donald trump forced the issue and force the sender to get a more modern phone? >> though, it's a mixed bag because now you know he knows how to use apps and read polls and we do news articles so he's getting a lot of information on
11:43 am
his own. but yes, i think it's great that he has joined all of us in using a smartphone. and as i said to him when it all happened, i said, you know, i had within his campaign manager manager for for a five months. donald trump just did something i've been trying to do for five months. i am a total failure. he's pretty good at it so it worked out well. >> as i read it, no one else besides interested to be commander-in-chief because no one else is nestled on board a 10,000 troops in syria, is better? >> i think we're waiting to get this race shapes up enough people feel about that particular issue or from his point of view, there is no debating it anymore. what we needed in syria, what we neededid in iraq and the mistake made before that he's been very vocal fight against during the obama administration. i think he feels that this is
11:44 am
the right path for cookies when you make his case and he thinks is best prepared otherwise he wouldn't be running for president. >> as you plot out your path to a breakout, doesn't require a number of these other candidates, including jeb bush, to fizzle out? >> i'm not sure it means anyone fizzle out. anytime in politics you need to have a little bit of luck. to sit as a political consultant tell you it's all that genius in our heads, that's bs. you need to have a little bit of luck but you need to put your camping in a position to take advantage of that luck. probably many of you six months ago would've said lindsey graham's campaign manager isn't going to be on the stage when rich, google and "national review" other forum, but we are still there because we're running a small discipline, mobile, lexical campaign that we can afford. in order to remain in the race and take advantage of the opportunity when it comes you've got to still be sitting there
11:45 am
that's the camping we've had planned from day one end of the camping you continue to execute. >> i ask this question earlier, can you quantify for us, give us some indication of exactly how spoke of what corners you are cutting, and what it means to be lean and mean in the lindsey graham world? >> we have an extremely small national team, you know, a dozen people. we sit in one giant room about the size and all yell at each other all day long. it's a great deal of fun, and i think that reflects a lot of our candidates personally. i think a good campaign should reflect who your candidate is a came from. arcane -- are camping is kind of like a. small team, there for the right reasons, there because we believe in lindsey graham. if we're doing this for the money if w we're doing it becaue he was the front-runner, we would all be there for the wrong reason. we are not. >> i've asked some of the other
11:46 am
candidates who, former senators, do you worry that just the mood is so much in favor of outsiders and people that have no political experience, the single worst case you can make as a candidate is i've been and is in a long time, i know this, i've tried to do things. give me this job. >> is a tough case to make right now, isn't it? but i think at the end of the day when you get close to election time, people start thinking about different things. they're going to think about who's ready to take this fight radical islam. they're going to think but who's ready to be commander-in-chief. for military families after they're going to say who do i want commanding my son or daughter as they go off to do their job? who do i trust to make sure our troops have the capacity, the weapons, the support they need to do their job? i think when we get down to it and get down to crunch time and in particular command achieves
11:47 am
going to be is going to be more both in people's minds and that's when lindsey graham is truly going to shine. >> can you talk about fish of lindsey graham as a vote-getter in south carolina parks may understand he is the best boat could is alkaline history, eclipsing even strom thurmond speak he has never lost a race in south carolina. he won his last primary against six opponents with an overwhelming majority. until recently, not necessarily has been seen as a front-runner in those races but he's a great grass-roots politician. what you see is what you get with lindsey graham. he can interact with people as good as anyone i've ever worked with. i think that sort of talent that helped him so much in south carolina is perfectly tailored to iowa and new hampshire as well. >> would you expect him along the line to begin to pick up endorsements from his fellow senators? >> i don't know if endorsements are really the name of the game
11:48 am
that i think is how you are doing in iowa, new hampshire and south carolina. that's going to be more of our focus and worrying about what washington, d.c. thinks. >> do you have a secret weapon in iowa and a large number of people in the national guard? >> i think that helps other senator graham is the only candidate in the race today with serving military, he was in the national guard. he's been resurfaced. i think that there's a large population of national guard and reservists in iowa is going to be good for him. there's a strong veterans population in new hampshire and is alkaline as well. >> does he have a strategy for reaching out to those people? >> i think talking about it national security credentials is important and talking about how we make sure that our veterans are cared for and taken care of. it's something that is important to that community come and serving in the senate on those issues and working on for a long time he is a good breadth of
11:49 am
experience. >> what is the moment that another candidate or campaign has said that you've been most impressed with that you wish you guys have thought of first or something like that, and what is the most enduring quality of lindsey graham that you see on the working with them closely that the rest of us may not be aware of? >> one of the things i find most fascinating about this campaign, and hopefully in the long run it's a good thing, is donald trump has truly turned the political consulting conventional wisdom on its head. decent everything that people like me would tell a candidate not to do. so maybe that's a good thing for my profession maybe we have too many political consultant who are operating out of the same playbook. >> that's a good thing because i think it is. we have people who are challenging the way things have always been done on nothing talked to necessarily is doing ait the right way but i think it's good for folks at me have to think carefully. i think the whole consulting
11:50 am
class is looking at the truck race. how else can we look at what we do? in terms of lindsey graham, i think the one word i would use to describe them is sincere. what you see with lindsey graham is exactly what you get. he's as approachable as anyone i've ever worked with in politics. he is as sincere and caring a person as i've ever been around him and he's also just funny. he is a really funny person to be around. it's not so much that he has the same kind of jokes that you over and over and over again. i worked with john mccain. i can tell you john mccain's six job front and back. every day something new. so that creates an environment that's a great deal of fun to work in and i'm thankful for the opportunity. >> christian, thanks so much. >> good to see you. [applause]
11:51 am
>> so up next is barry bennett with the ben carson campaign. [applause] >> i've been busy today. >> how are you doing? thanks for coming. so we have this breaking news, maybe in about 10 minutes, that scott walker is out of the race. what did you make of that? how do you analyze that? what does it mean? >> well, you know, i'm surprised i knew things were not going well, that was obvious but i'm surprised. i think that the lesson a lot of folks learn from the plenty getting outdoor last time was, don't give up. you a rough spot. but apparently he's getting out. >> so tell us, explain to us ben carson if you will. what you hear over and over again from the pundit class is i just don't get it.
11:52 am
i don't get the man's appeal. i don't get why he's fighting a fire out there. he's so soft spoken. he's not a bomb thrower in this media and political environment that rewards people for saying outrageous things and never apologizing. he took the slightest possible implicit swipe donald trump state, and then apologize for it, which is completely opposite of what donald would do. what is the appeal of ben carson? >> it's just his character. eroded is certainly the smartest guy i've ever met, for sure. but he's also probably one of the nicest people i've ever met. he started off, he's a physician with a pediatric specialty. that's quite endearing. then you add world renowned brain surgeon, 67 honorary ph.d's, living legend, presidential -- smart speed played by cuba gooding, jr. in a
11:53 am
made-for-tv movie? >> that health. so he's caring and he's smart. he's got a tv queue like us to believe that is amazing speed what was that? >> tvq. people just love. he's very likable. then you've got his life story that is astonishingly inspiring. i mean that guy who literally saw his cousin whom he lived with and boston.com the street. never thought he would live to be an adult. let alone get inspired, start reading can read his wife, he applied to one school because you have enough money for one application or never visited the campus actually showed up on the first day. but applied to your mac and ipod are because they be given in quiz bowl that year. it's an amazing story. >> how did you get to know him and become part of the operation? >> a friend of mine called and said would you be interested in doing a presidential -- i said
11:54 am
no. i am way past that. >> tell us about your career prior to that. >> we have a corporate political consulting shop which is going very well, or was. i'm not there. and i've always wanted to do this, of course, when i was younger and didn't have kids. so i said i'll go talk to him. i went down to florida and i spent the day with he and candy. i got into car to go back to the airport of the call by the knesset i mean, let's do it. he's just an overwhelmingly nice and likable, smart. >> you have no doubt that if someone who has all these amazing accomplishment and agitation that you mention, i think most people would not dispute, that never having run for office before, never having any really significant executive experience, he will win the nomination of the elected
11:55 am
president of the tragic? >> am i telling 100% he is going to win the nomination? of course not. that would be ridiculous. but i am telling you he has a lot to offer. >> see, that's endearing honesty right there. >> he has a lot to teach and has a lot to help the republican party. that's what i really became interested that you can make the party bigger, bolder and better. and through this i think he probably will be our nominee. but even if he isn't i think that it's a nation that is good for everyone. >> what are those lessons that come to put in your terms, these out teaching the republican party? >> so far this month with campaign, or last month, campaigned in harlem, ferguson, detroit, inner-city chicago. we are going to places where we didn't see the romney-ryan team make a stop. baltimore.
11:56 am
and he talks about lifting yourself up in any of the cycle of dependency in a way that frankly none of our other candidates can do that. so i think he can be very helpful. you don't have to, it's not just the african-american vote we're going after. we are going after those suburban soccer moms they got barack obama elected. but he speaks in a compassionate way that a very inspiring to people at the same opportunity that he had. >> stupid question. easy talking to african-american audiences, and easy resident within? >> i sat in a room with him and ferguson were get african-american business owners whose businesses were obliterated with protesters and ministers and policemen. he said something that most politicians never say. i'm here to listen to tell me
11:57 am
your story. it was great. >> how important is it that he has soft-spoken? because if there's any quality you would naturally associate with political success, that would be very far down on the list. >> i agree. but in a field of 15, maybe 14, candidates, looking, sounding, talking and behaving different is very important. it distinguishes yourself from the rest of them. so at the debate, i would hear i wish you were like yelling and throwing bombs like the rest of the. that's not him. i guess what i'll take you hours of national tv time in sitting next to donald trump any day. anybody wants to give it to me. >> a lot of people missed his standout performance in the first debate, or go back to my initial question, didn't get it. did you know, especially those
11:58 am
last couple questions, one about race and the closing statement, did you think in ben carson turned he is killing it and he's going to a big bounce because of the? >> we were watching. nowadays everything is dashboard. i've got 10 dashboard in my office i watch. i can tell you everything is playing down to the secon seconi knew then so should we what he was saying was really resident. i think that first debate we may have got 300,000 new facebook fans during the debate. >> 300,000 in two hours? >> nothing like what's happened in the last few days. i think he had about 1.6 and we went up to almost 2 million. yesterday of the weekend 109,000. since the debate we've gained almost $900,000 a we are at 3.7, 3.8 million right now. >> do not that compares to other
11:59 am
candidates? >> is three times more than hillary. 15 times more than jeb come and will be above donald trump who committed his after three years on the apprentice, we will go past him this week. >> so how to take advantage of that? >> i think one way you take event of it with 14 candidates on the republican side, comment on the democrat side is not clear yet, plus other super pacs plus all the outside money come if you're counting on winning the election from television advertising in des moines in january, you are probably not going to do that. so we have the a lot of the networks around talk to the voters from the 70,000 people in iowa that i want to talk to through social media. through google and search optimization at all these tools, because content is king. if you can talk to the effectively in a way that they want to be talked to through social media, you can do it with
12:00 pm
the push of a button. he blew out his candles on his birthday cake on friday, and he said what his wish was. i wish i could say what it was but i don't know off the top of my head what i do know that 19 million people got the post and five at half million of them watched the entire thing. on television that would've cost a lot of money. >> i hear you saying that it happened a candidate who's good in corporate boardrooms and has raised $125 million for your super packham we won't name anyone, but that is an asset that may not be as powerful as it was in the past? ..

9 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on