Skip to main content

tv   Key Capitol Hill Hearings  CSPAN2  October 16, 2015 8:00am-10:01am EDT

8:00 am
similarity with south africa and apartheid. and i know you've done a lot of work for many, many years, if not decades, with the african-american community, and now we see the rise of the african-american community in solidarity with the palestinians. so can you comment on those, please? >> broad thank you. that's the changing demographics on the issue that i noted -- randa, thank you. i frankly think the movement is brilliant and is important and is eminently supportable. ..
8:01 am
>> and do way that the bds movement is playing out on college campuses is a function of that. add to that the role that african-americans are playing, and i think you have that shifting demographic on the issue that i noted. how long does it take to play out? i don't know. but what i do know is that a mass nonviolent movement be will serve to gal vannize and even accelerate that shift in attitudes. i can remember having this discussion with leaders in the
8:02 am
plo over there years ago, and they would say to me but if we, if we mobilize the refugees in lebanon and march to the border, the israelis will shoot at us. and be i said they're already shooting at you. the point is that you change the dynamic when you use nonviolent means and when you mobilize masses. the problem with hamas suicide bombers or the, you know, back in the old days the attacks on here, there or wherever is that they become demobilizing events. they become sort of the one person doing the one act, not to mention the fact that in the instance of terrorism, these are immoral, and they're also heinous crimes. and they end up besmirching the palestinian cause. they end up making netanyahu and
8:03 am
sharon into victims and hero ares. they don't deserve to be. what nonviolence does is mobilizes larger numbers of people. would the press be able to ignore it? of course they couldn't ignore it. they couldn't ignore the first or second intifada. the first intifada was hour write misguided -- horribly misguided. you never pick a fight that you can't win. and you can't win that kind of fight with the israeli occupation. it's something hamas never be learned either. and yet they come out of these turkey shoots, is what they are. they come away with like they killed 70 israelis, and the israelis killed 1400 of them and def sate the entire -- devastate the entire territory, and they
8:04 am
say we want a victory. how desperate can you be? that's not a victory, that's a massacre. and it's a devastating blow to your people who are still paying the price for the foolishness of this adventure. and we have to call it what it is. nonviolence, on the other hand, turns the dynamic completely around. it's something that would cripple the israelis. they don't know what the hell to do with it. in the first intifada, if there were no stones they would have even known less what to do with it. and those courageous people who are at the wall almost every week but in two small numbers to make a difference, they're defining a strategy that will work, but there needs to be broader support for that. let me just say one thing at the end. all too often when we talk about this issue, we talk about justice. i remember something edward saeed said to me years ago. politics is not about justice.
8:05 am
if it were, the indians would be running america. it's about having power and the ability to use that power to accomplish objectives you want. you have to find the tools to use. that's not logic. it's logical. you can think in your mind how to solve this issue. but to translate it to political power requires levers. and, frankly, we're not going to win that fight here. but palestinians do have the ability, through mass nonviolence, to use the lever of public opinion worldwide in order to change the i do -- the die yamic and to increase their political power. and i rest my case. >> thank you. thanks, jim. [applause] matt, we've got two interesting questions for you. one is how the educated children of the unemployed adults are registered to vote in both the west bank and palestine or in the gaza strip. so voter registration of the
8:06 am
youth is an interesting question. haven't thought about that. and i guess that leads to the idea of upcoming elections possibly in palestine and who gets to vote and voter rights. but the next one is there seems to be quite a bit of concern regarding the funding for united nations, in particular for unra as the palestinians asealed membership -- accede membership in the icc and their move towards a member sovereign state in the u.n., the opposition by the obama administration and the backlash by congress in cutting funds off. >> great, thank you. first, i just would -- i need to remind or emphasize than unra has a humanitarian and development mandate and not a political one. there are other factors involved in the political part of it including the secretary-general's office. i'm going to punt the first question to the ambassador, because we are not involved in any of the political campaign or
8:07 am
voter rage straight issues -- registration issues. we do register palestine refugees, but that's for relief and social services and educational purposes. unra is a voluntarily-funded agency which means we don't get assessed contributions from the united nations with the exception of a few international staff. so we're very bent on world -- dependent on the world to provide us with that assistance. unra is one of the only agencies that is a direct service provider. so unlike other ngos or unicef or others who go out and contract to others, we actually do it ourselves. we have about 30,000 pal palestn refugee staff who are our doctors, teachers and social workers. and we have faced a lot of funding shortages. the world is in some pretty tough economic times, and so are we. the services and the needs of the refugees are growing. we have a crisis in every single field of ours. a few years ago just before the
8:08 am
war in syria, there were only about 30,000 palestine refugees of a half a million that required real social services. like in any society, there's about 10% of your population that's disabled or needs assistance. today it's 96% of all those pal palestinians still left in syria, which is about 430,000 of them. so themount of just providing nonfood items, food items and emergency shelter is great. we did face a very important funding crisis, and it brought a lot of challenge to the pal stint refugee -- palestine refugee are community in particular because one of the things they've always been able to count on is education, and nra has always provided education. because we did not have enough resources to open the schools this year, there was a great concern that unra would not be opening schools this year, or at least delaying them quite a while. which wrought a whole form of
8:09 am
concern and credibility in the community. i would say it's a challenge for all of us as more and more fighting and wars take praise to fulfill that. again, we do -- high commissioner for refugees as well, thank you. >> great, thank you. thank you very much. and imad, i've got a global sort of regional question from the audience regarding how the lebanese government and their security forces might deal with the possibility of uprising within the palestinian camps in lebanon. and similarly, how will the egyptian community and the egyptian government deal with -- [inaudible] and the possibility or involvement of others including jordan. >> well, this on? >> yeah. >> yeah. well, the palestinian situation
8:10 am
in all of the arab are countries is not good. i know in the lebanese case palestinians are disallowed from are certain, actually, a lot of jobs, a lot of employment categor. there is a lot of poverty among the palestinians in ref due gee camps. security forces are are outside the camp. obviously, camp security is given to -- [inaudible] to arrange for peace and order within the camps. sometimes, you know, things erupt within the camps, and maybe if security officials within it cannot deal with it, maybe they will -- they can be calling -- they can call upon, you know, lebanese police. but in general, palestinians in,
8:11 am
had not so far, have not been, a, concerned as far as the security situation outside of the camps is concerned. although, you know, things considering that lebanon and the lebanese state is not necessarily very -- can't really stand on its feet because of certain political divisions, really deep political divisions, it turns out that nobody even knows how the security situation in the country as a whole will shape up. as far as the egyptian treatment on the crossing, i don't think it really is good for the palestinians. the crossing is more closed than open, and it's open only on
8:12 am
certain days, certain days of the month. you can only import so many things. you can't do certain other things, and the gaza strip is really starving for anything to be imported into it that has been a resort to digging tunnels and trying to, basically, smuggle things from egypt into the gaza strip except that, you know, the egyptian authorities have had a problem with trying to maintain the security according to how, number one, they understand it and how, number two, they need to deal with it as far as, you know, concerns about security across the border with israel. whether these things can be and, you know, egypt has been flooding the tunnels. i think last i heard was probably out of, like, 50
8:13 am
tunnels -- 250 tunnels at one time only 20 of them have not been flooded yet, and i'm sure the egyptian authorities are looking for those also to close down. it's not necessarily only a palestinian/egyptian concern, but it's also a concern that egypt has to really deal with regarding -- because of its history with israel. >> thank you. we'll have a comment from the board and a response and then -- from the ambassador and a response and then a final comment. i have one question from tom. >> thank you. this working? with regard to the palestinians in lebanon and other host country, the plo and the palestinian leadership has very clear, unequivocal policy to respect the host countries and not to interfere in their internal politics. the situation in lebanon is more sensitive than other countries. of course, syria is catastrophic and tragic, what happened to the
8:14 am
palestinian refugees there. but we closely work with the lebanese government on maintaining order within the refugee camps, and we have open channels with them to make sure that no external elements exploit the palestinian presence in lebanon to destabilize lebanon or any ore country. -- any other country. so we are on the same page with the lebanese authorities on this issue, and we plan to be continue to be neutral and not to get involved in the internal politics of any host country. just to respond to my friend, my dear friend jim on the violence, we've been having a palestinian leadership since president abbas won the elections in 2005 that publicly and against a lot of opposition from many palestinian s to denounce the arms struggle, violence. even in his speech yesterday, he
8:15 am
said we will continue the political, popular, legal, diplomatic battle, and we will never call on people to resort to violence. most of the escalation of recent violence is happening in occupied east jerusalem which is totally not under the control of the palestinian authority. i'm not saying that, you know, those people were not driven and given the reasons by israel to resort to these kind of acts. i think a starting point to diffusethe attention would be for israel to respect, indeed not only rhetoric, the existing arrangement that prohibits extremists and israelis from entered the compound to pray there. they've done that at the brahimi mosque in hebron in the '70s.
8:16 am
they started by asking for, you know, time for them to go in and pray, ended up dividing it between muslims and j well,ews,d now they have control over the mosque. whenever they want to close it, they don't allow muslims as if abraham was jewish and wasn't the father of all, you know, the prophets. so we have seen precedents in the past by the israelis, and this is exactly their objective. they want to use prayer as a first step, and then they want to divide the place, time and place, and then they will have total control. so one step forward would be to stop these provocations, and that would contribute significantly to the deescalation of tension and violence in occupied east jerusalem. thank you. >> thank you, ambassador. that's a great segway into the last question, and, tom, i'm going to ask you to be a psychologist for a moment pause many of the -- because many of the questions from the audience talk about the psychology of the
8:17 am
israelis. how they believe truly that this land was given to them by god, that it is a religious attachment to the land, that all of it, greater israel, is theirs. therefore, when they build settlements, it's not only their right, but it's not illegal. what would it take for the u.s. administration within the security council, within the united nations to once and for all recognize that settlements in settlements -- in the u.s., settlements is a matter of ill illegitimacy in a policy. it is not viewed as illegal. the rest of the world views settlements as illegal. what would it take for the obama administration to once and for all make that jump from illegitimate policy towards settlements to illegal settlements? >> political courage. >> i'm sorry? >> political courage. >> political courage. say that a little bit louder?
8:18 am
>> i think it would take political courage. the -- if i recall correctly, it was our position before the reagan administration that these settlements were, indeed, illegal. he is the one who changed that situation. and to go back to my earlier remark, i think that was the first administration that had as a prerequisite for its middle east team that they know very little about the middle east. and that's been repeated. so it's a matter of international law. the geneva conventions prohibit deporting the population of an occupied territory. they prohibit serving your own
8:19 am
population into it. it's clearly a violation of the geneva conventions. our decision to say that it's, to stop saying it's illegal was a political decision, not a decision based on the law. so i come back to political courage. but i don't know how much difference it will make to the israelis, because the whole country is going to the right. certainly, the government is a right-wing government. and it comes out of the e -- revisionist, zion arist movement which is all of the land is their god given right. for example, once when i asked one of these people in a settlement near hebron what did he think about the west bank, he said what is the west bank? i've heard about the bank of america. [laughter] but do you mean judea and
8:20 am
sumeria? and so that was how that conversation started. and it didn't end well. [laughter] >> i can imagine. thank you. and i'll turn to dr. anthony for some closing observations and closing remarks. >> this has been an excellent session in which various viewpoints, information, insight, facts, documented that have led to enhanced understanding. specifically, it was herbert hansel who was president carter's legal affairs adviser in the department of state who was the one that said that the settlements are illegal. but even prior to that, the united states is a member of the united nations by treaty in terms of our constitution,
8:21 am
article vi states specifically that all laws, treaties and international conventions to which the united states is a solemn signatory are to be the supreme law of the land. and so in the united nations charter, it specifically addresses the inadmissibility of the acquisition of territory by force. cannot get any be clearer than that. and u.n. resolutioning 242 and 338, which the israeli government has accepted and which we helped to craft with lord caradon in the fall of 1967 specifically repeated the inadmissibility of the acquisition of territory by force, which the israeli government has accepted
8:22 am
rhetorically but implemented zero. >> thank you. thank you, dr. anthony. i'd like to thank all the panelists for our wonderful discussions today, and although we may not have are solved the problem, i think we raised some interesting and critical questions regarding the status of palestine. thank you. [applause] >> the 14th amendment says all persons born in the united states are citizens of the united states and of the state wherein they reside. this has been interpreted to mean that being born on u.s. soil means a person is a u.s. citizen. a panel will debate the 14th amendment this morning at the heritage foundation. we'll have live coverage at 11 a.m. eastern on c-span. and later, more road to the white house coverage with democratic presidential candidate hillary clinton holding a campaign event this new hampshire. she'll be at keane state college
8:23 am
live at 12:15 eastern also on c-span. >> c-span takes you on the road to the white house at town hall meetings, news conferences, rallies and speeches. we're taking your comments on twitter, facebook and by phone. and always, every campaign event we coffer is available on our web site at c-span.org. >> republican presidential candidate jeb bush campaigned in new hampshire this week. the florida republican was asked about his brother's presidency at an event in concord. [applause] >> hello, everybody. i know a lot of you here because i see a lot of concord folks here. i'm the republican national committee man.
8:24 am
i also am chairman of the debates committee, so i get to see a lot of all of our candidates, and it's an honor for me to be here today. as the committee man, i'm neutral, but i have the privilege of having some friends running in this race, and i have no better friend than the man running tonight. we love our primary, everybody in new hampshire loves it, but i think the people of concord do it better than anybody because we summer and winter and summer and winter these candidates and ask them questions over and over tonight ander night, and that's what makes it special. my privilege tonight is to introduce another good friend and somebody who does a terrific job for the state of new hampshire s and he's worth every penny we pay him, and that's chuck morris, the president of the new hampshire senate who brought us such an incredibly well-thought-out budget this year. thank you, chuck. [applause] >> thank you for having me. i truly, it's an honor to be the senate president of new hampshire. and like every citizen in this
8:25 am
state, i take what i do very seriously. and when i'm looking at candidates, i take it very seriously when there's so many of them that have strong values that would be great presidents in the united states. and i can tell you i've sat down and talked with many of them, and they have great ideas for what our country could be. but i'm here today because one stands head and shoulders above the rest, and that's jeb bush. [cheers and applause] now be, i'm proud to say that i'm co-chair of the jeb bush campaign for president, and we're going to make it work here in new hampshire because what we need in washington is change. we need a washington that runs like what we believe here in new hampshire as republicans and what jeb bush did down in florida.
8:26 am
he made a huge difference. he reduced taxes every year that he was governor. he grew the economy. he grew be jobs. -- he grew jobs. that's what we want as republicans in this country. we want everyone to better themselves, and i'm crowd to be here tonight to introduce the next president, jeb bush. [cheers and applause] /. >> would you all remain standing, please, for the pledge of allegiance. i pledge allegiance to the mag of the united states of america. and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under god, under god, indivisible with liberty and justice for all.
8:27 am
>> thank you, jim. thank you very much. mr. president, thank you so much for that great introduction and your endorsement is very meaningful. thank you all for coming out and welcoming me. i'm from florida, and it's great to be in a place that honors the space program. [laughter] it's really good to be here. [applause] and if you think about it, america always has been an aspirational country, hasn't it? we've always done things that kind of detied the imagination of the rest of world. and being able to launch, put a man on the moon which was the aspirational goal in the early 1960s when the russians got -- the soviets, excuse me. i get 'em confused these days because putin's acting like a soviet. [laughter] but when the soviets launched their rocket into space, it lit a fire under america, and we sent a hand to the moon. it was an -- a man to the moon. it was an incredible engineering
8:28 am
feat. it detied the imagination of everyone -- defied the imagination of everyone. whether it's to explore the stars or explore the brain, think about it. you know, i meet people all the time that have loved ones that have dementia or alzheimer's, and we haven't seen the kind of forward movement in the discovery of medicines to be able to take care of alzheimer's. or in the state of florida we have a voucher program for can kids that have learning disabilities. there's been a surge of children that have autism. and in our case we can send those parents, if they're not satisfied with their public school, can send their kids with state and local money to go to a private school. there's all sorts of challenges. the mental health challenges we see playing out in our communities all across this country. and imagine if we were aspirational again. i think we've lost a little of that spirit. we would have aspirational goals to discover the diseases that are neurological. we're on the verge of the
8:29 am
greatest time to be alive, is what i believe. and we just have to start acting like we've done in the past to fix a few big, complex things in order for us to rise up again. this is not the worst time. this is not the worst time in american history. this is not the time to be fed be, have people come and feed your angst or feed your anger. there's a legitimate reason why people are angry. look at washington d.c. you know, i made a mistake. i was asked on a sports talk show -- [laughter] i was asked my view ares on the -- views on the washington redskins, and i said, look, you know, there are a lot of big, pressing problems here. i don't think we need to be so political correct to try to, through government, take the name redskins off of -- if that's what they want, leave 'em alone, for crying out loud. let's worry ant the complicated nature of our regulations and taxes and things. and i got -- the left went crazy, as you might expect, because they are a little more politically correct. and someone sent me an e-mail and said, jeb, the term redskins
8:30 am
isn't the pejorative, it's washington that's the pejorative. [laughter] [applause] they're going to change their name. i don't know what you'd call it. northern virginia redskins or something like that. washington is broken. it's ridiculous that we have three-day workweeks right now. they're not working this week. how many people here work where you just decide you're not going to show up at a committee hearing or go vote? you would have a deduction in your pay for the missed hours that you have. washington ought to have that as well. elected officials ought to serve us with a servant's heart which means that they ought to be there doing their work rather than doing whatever else they do. [applause] elected officials shouldn't finish their jobs and then go out the back door and start lobbying the people that they were serving with. there ought to be a six-year ban on lobbyists, just as there is in many places. [applause] there's 29 states that have passed resolutions advocating a
8:31 am
balanced budget amendment. i hope we get to the point where we have a balanced budget amendment. it's not going to happen in washington, but the states and people can demand this. government needs to live within our means rather than their means. and if we focused on bringing people together to forge consensus on how we get to a balanced budget with that constitutional requirement, i guarantee you if i was president, we could do it. we need a line item veto power for the next president of the united states. they called me veto corleone when i was governor of the state of florida. [laughter] that was supposed to be like being called the washington redskins, i guess. the speaker of the house, mr. president, called me that, and i embraced it. 29 separate line items in the budget. not to be punitive, not to send you a signal. not to play the game cans of politics, but simply based on the principle that if spending doesn't go through the proper process, it shouldn't exist.
8:32 am
eliminating the pork in florida was a way we prove that government's income needed to grow slower than personal income. i turned the whole state, the whole system, tallahassee, upside down when i was governor. ..
8:33 am
think about what's going on. you have a system of bonus in the executives inside the va. fine. that's a kind of business practice. they were going to be bonus for reducing the weight lives which are terrific, -- way to let us. too long. but what they forgot to do was provide care for the veterans. they reduced the waiting list by taking them off the list and some veterans died. do you know how many people got fired because of that? three. been how many people work at the veterans administration? 330,000. fisher and confidence because of the scale and scope of government now is imperiling out ability to fix problems. people are angry for good reason. the question is are we going to stay angry or are we going to fix a? i know how to do this because i did exactly the things that people want to see washington do in tallahassee. the net result was we were one
8:34 am
or two states to go to aaa bond rating but that doesn't sound like a big deal except the united states government has had a downgrade from aaa to aa. it is not a reflection of the greatness of her country when you see structural deficits under president obama's watch there will be more deficit accumulated, more debt a team led that all of the 43 presidents on their to do. we have to restore america's greatness which were on the verge of doing to grab to bring back, we need to bring the took or leone from florida to washington, d.c. and we need to bring back the very basic fundamental fact that government is the servant, not the master. we are the host, they are the parasite. if we get sick the parasite dies. you can't create economic activity through government. if you listened last night to the debate you might have thought that all power resides in washington. all forms of regulation great
8:35 am
prosperity, all forms, more taxes make a better for people, more spending makes things better. here's the deal. workforce participation rates today are lower than they were in 1977. because of obamacare principally 6.5 million people more are working part-time. six and a half million people working part-time, the majority of which want to work full-time. we have unemployment, the talk about 6% of the fact is it is double-digit. income today is lower for the first time in the recovery and it is $2000 lower disposable income for families. 6 million more people are living in poverty. who is fooling who? the progressive liberal agenda has failed us. now had to offer a compelling alternative of reforming our taxes, simplifying the code, shifting power back to people and businesses rather than having all the carveouts and the special interests, promoting the bigger businesses that have a
8:36 am
lobbyist and all the special interest in washington that make it easier for them to survive but make it harder for the next generation of job graders to exist. for the first time in american history more businesses are being closed man being formed. it is because we have abdicated all power to washington, d.c. the job of the next president is to lift people's. by fixing how we tax, fixing the regular toy system, making government work as a servant again, fixing our public programs -- problems that will overwhelm the generations of people and the generation after that. if we fix it and grow it at 4% rather than 2%, people will have a chance to be able to pursue their dreams again. and guess what? interaction of people all of us together in a dynamic country free of government, mandates and rules and taxes the way we have it today, we will create more things that really will move our
8:37 am
heart and will drive us forward. we will find cures for diseases. we will lead the world in so many different ways. i trust 330 million people in a crazy fashion interacting amongst ourselves in a dynamic way through trial and error and any government program ever created and i hope you do as well. now, if we grow at 4% which i believe we do come bracing the energy revolution fixing our and other problems, being frugal as relates to government spending and judging how government works, we can get there but we're never going to grow at 4% or less we also recognize where living in a perilous world. each day another story comes out to prove that it is perilous. it is perilous because we have abdicated our responsibility as the world leader. this president does not believe american leadership as a force for good in the world. with all due respect to him, he is dead wrong. this country leads, when we lead we create a greater chance for peace and security.
8:38 am
if i'm elected president, his to do. we will rebuild our military, treat our troops with respect, we are going to arm them -- [applause] the objective here is not to do the strawman thing that barack obama says what if you're not for his nuanced sophisticated view, the jordan warmonger, that's not true. leadership means that we don't have to center we are not the world's policeman but we have to leave. people hav have to know we have theiherback. imagine being the prime minister of israel right now. under attack by organized efforts by palestinians to try to destabilize jerusalem. and where hamas never see it -- ceding its oats again and the gaza strip will without an ally, without and i had a backup relationship we should always have for israel, we know are casting them aside in their mind. they will take action to defend as any country will. of course, they will that we should have their back. there should be no doubt between
8:39 am
the united states and israel. and, frankly, -- [applause] all of our friends need to know that we have her back. and our enemies need to fear us. in the last few days i've heard people say well, won't we intimidate them won't we create a problem if we push back on programs action in a series of what are now allegedly iranian troops there? syria. the same country that we signed an agreement with, they are now actively promoting and supporting the brutality of the assad regime in fact this afternoon i read an article about a cuban general now is blanket corporate their retreating this axis of opposed to the united states to the point where we have serious problems we are worried about offending who? here's the deal. he's a bully. he should be worried about offending us, not the other way around the we need to stand strong and tall, and strong at
8:40 am
home and we will create more security. today in syria, millions are leaving the country. 200,000 have been killed. that are refugees if they are forced back their whether ucd's, christian or muslim so what you to be raped, held as slaves or killed. and the united states needs to lead. if we stand for anything, the values of human life. and today people wonder where the united states is. and avoid is being filled that will create problems for the next generation of time. we have to be engaged in order our friends need to know we have her back. and/or any state to adjust to the rally that american leadership is going to be there for a long, long while. we need to restore our military, restore our counterintelligence capabilities and intelligence capabilities, provide support for our military troops and do it in a loud and clear way. you want to get the peace through strength, you have to restore america's leadership in the world and that gets us back
8:41 am
on track to creating high sustained economic growth where people are lifted up. [applause] finally i want to see -- say to you is low, this is not about a loud person ask him the big personalities on the stage. it really isn't. it's not about any body running for president, all 75 of us. it really isn't. it's about people like the single moms that i meet all over this country that have a child stuck in a failing school and they want to be able to go to high-performing charter school or they want a voucher to go to a private school to afford the same things that people of affluence have it should be a right for every mom and dad to pick the school that best meets the needs of their child. it should be. [applause] it's about the small businessman, husband and wife
8:42 am
team that i met in denver that have a company of four people that told me candidly they were about ready to go out of business because of the complexity of obamacare. and the confusion that this brings for the own business. it's about the military family wondering whether the leave of, whether the loved one is going to come back home, or their star would have extended because we have gutted the military forces, shrinking at a time when we need to rebuild. it's about a lot of people that are one or two paychecks away from utter disaster to its about a friend of mine who i met in 1998 as a candidate at the time we were not friends, and she let me have it. in attending hopefully today is what happened, tonight. she let me have it. she said you don't care about comes with kids with development of disability. you don't understand anything about my life. you don't care about me. i couldn't convince as i said i'll tell you what, in the next month i will kee give you four s
8:43 am
and you can schedule my life and teach me. i want to listen first to i want to hear what it's like. and what she told me was the greatest fear that she and gnome have is whether they will outlive lewis, lucy. and i learned a lot in those four days the only two group homes and saw what it's like to have the dignity of an independent life i went to the workplaces where people with development of disability are getting jobs, and guess what the customers loved it and the employees found joy because everybody is an asset in this country on this planet everybody has some value that everybody has a chance to contribute. the left believe people like those that are needed that they need to manage from up above. we believe in the human spirit. we put everybody has a god-given ability to make a contribution and all of our policy should be organized around the. that's what i learned. and now she was an independent.
8:44 am
her husband was a demographic that one of my strongest supporters because we changed ce whole system. 30,000 families in florida now receive benefits for their loved ones. and 30,000 more families today don't worry whether they will outlive their child. listening and learning is important. [applause] i worry about the people i've met on my life journey that just want them to want to be lifted a. they want a chance to deliver a life of purpose and meaning. people like a young girl who got to get finished of the corporate tax gauche in florida, the largest voucher program in the country now about 75-80,000 kids go to private schools and directly with public money. and when she was in third grade, she is now 25, when she was in third grade she was held back and she was held back again. her older brother had a run-in with the law.
8:45 am
her mom was lost and she was angry. no one had ever told his young precious girl that she was smart, that she was capable. she was effectively like it happens amongst hundreds of thousands of kids, she was just been cast aside. because we challenge the orthodoxy of our times and we credit the first statewide voucher program in the country and the second and the third and one of those was this program, her godmother found out about and she got to go to a christian school. which is constitutional, just for the record are still viable, still working. [applause] and when she was told that she was capable of learning them when she was told she is an asset rather than a liability, when she was told that chevy purpose in life and that she was loved, she accelerated her learning to take back the third grade that she was held back and she did it again. she was the first in her family to graduate from high school and she was the first in her
8:46 am
immediate family to graduate from college. there are 250,000 children in florida that are grade level readers. because i challenged everything about how our education system works. i took on the teachers union. do you see the tire marks here? of scars on my head? because i thought and we want and we opened up the system. and kids, i do know she's a republican/democrat or independent, it doesn't matter. she now is a chance to rise up. imagine a country that focus on the simple fact that all of us are assets, a life is a gift from god, that we should be focused on how to rebuild capacity so that people can achieve earned success? in whatever policy it is the whole focus ought to be on lifting people up. if we get this right, if you run a campaign the right way edge of a principle centered live that knows how to fix this thing, this will be the most extraordinary time to be a light
8:47 am
in this world. i believe in my heart i hope you all do i do humbly ask for your support and your vote in those important primary that exists in of the united states. thank you all very much. [applause] >> yes, sir spent i haven't seen a michele bachman t-shirt in a while. [laughter] spent thank you, governor bush. it's a pleasure to have you. thank you for coming. the question is about the other state, iowa. there's actually right now, and i'm worried because it affects the constitution, the 14th and 16th amendment. there's three flaws in iowa that denies a person our right to defend themselves in a criminal trial. they're not allowed to see evidence against them. are not allowed to defend themselves in any way speakers t sells like a violates the bill
8:48 am
of rights spent i wanted to ask you where you stand on our rights under the constitution of something such as that in states and judges violated those kinds of rights under the constitution? >> without knowing the specifics, the bill of rights trumps state law, plain and simple. what is the second amendment anjo states that overreach and try to restrict gun rights were law abiding citizens or other normally not settle out of course so i don't know the specifics of it but look, the bill of rights is i was the chairman of the national constitution center for a couple of years and i the chance to fall in love with the constitution again. normally you learned about it when you're a kid. it's different, kind of interesting. you don't realize the power of the constitution. it plays out in our lives each and every day. and it is a cherished document. it is an incredible blueprint for a free society the effect we may be the only country that actually has a set of rights to
8:49 am
protect us from our government. and its powerful. as long as we're self-governing people this document will keep us free and will create and maintain the greatest of the scotch because people will rise to the challenge of innovating and just pursuing their lives in a free society. i can't take the specifics of the iowa loss. it has never come up when i go out to iowa but i'm going to have to learn about it. thank you for the question. yes, ma'am. mic is coming your way. >> i have two questions. to increase the speed is why don't you make it one question, two-part? >> okay. to increase our military how are they going to fund that come with being number one. and for the refugees of syria who are fleeing the country, how do you feel about bringing them into the united states? >> well first, the first responsibly of our national government is our national defense.
8:50 am
put it this way. if you had to pick the one thing and if there is only one thing they do, what would it be? it would be i don't think it would be carrying the mail. don't think it would the amtrak. i think would be protecting our shores. and so the way i look at it is whether you have it or not you want to look at this from the perspective of zero-based budgeting in effect. that's the way you should look at it as the leader. so i would fund the first priority first. and then challenge the orthodoxy's of other things. and it is in a strategic way. the defense department needs to be challenged just as much as the veterans administration does. the va has a hospital they start for 300 been put down the cost overrun then went to 800. balance 1.7 or $1.8 billion. it's not finished in aurora, colorado. you can't make that a. i don't think the president of the new hampshire senate would allow a governor to run away with that kind of spin you put it be oversight. in washington it's out of sight out of mind i guess.
8:51 am
we can reform the defense department, the military programs that they're implementing our extraordinary costly. they take too long. there's a lot of challenging to save money by the simple fact is we are guarding the force levels that will put us in a very precarious position. so first things first and challenge how we do things. cycling regarded as they come in a faster rate. you could economy of 4% rather than 2% you lessen the demand on government which means you lessen spending, growth for sure and you also bring in revenue far more than the most exotic forms of taxation that the left is proposing. last night i didn't thing was keeping and read on the promises of taxes raised and spending spent my day was like ding, ding, ding. bernie sanders has proposed $18 trillion of spending over a ten-year period and it is september or october after year before the election he is just warming up.
8:52 am
and so growing the economy will create create more revenue than people imagine. i think you've got to get the denominator growing, the numerator doesn't look as bad if we do with the structural problems on that side. as relates to syria here's the deal. the first priority for our country is too great a strategy takeout isis and the assad regime. that should be the first strategy to deal with the refugees. [applause] and i proposed one guy actually went to the reagan library, not almost close to two months ago, i proposed it. what i propose was a no-fly zone and, frankly, if assad was going to continue to barrel bomb the innocent people in his country, the united states in relatively short order to destroy his air force then destroyed the ability to land planes to that would solve that problem like that. now it's been made more public it was russia's involvement. we need to work lead the world.
8:53 am
there should be one army, the remnants of the series three army that we promised to up and then avoided doing it, and then at the redline and then we didn't do it. all of his we need to get back into the game and create a unified effort with a safe zones to deal with this challenge. and we have that capability of doing it. if you saw what happened, i think was early this week or late last week, isis now looks like isis has killed, you know, more than scores of people in ankara turkey. this is now spilling out into the region. the region needs to be engaged in this. turkey, jordan what that millions of people in refugee camps in this country. we need to get the persian gulf countries involved. they should be financing the great majority of us. we need to unleash our air force by having their former controllers and people exactly where to launch the sortie to we need to take the lawyers and
8:54 am
tell them to take a step back. this is protecting our national see today. the best way to do with the refugee problem is to do with the source of why we have refugees. as relates to the number of, the numbers, we need to make sure they are screwin screen but we d participate in that as well. look, i just come i don't think we should abandon the core values, the goodness of our country. i don't think we are that small. we have to recognize we have internal problems our own country for sure, i get there. but whatever the number is has been proposed to to come in with proper screening of if the option is murder, rape, beheadings, because about the option for many of these people, we should let him go into as well but our primary role historically has been to lead the world to eradicate the problems that caused this. the europeans can play significant role in this as well. because imagine germany is accepting 800,000 refugees but this is going to be huge, huge
8:55 am
problem to use the term the other candidates seem to use a lot. it would be a big problem for sure. those problems are going to play out unless they get engaged to help create a more stable syria as well. yes, sir. >> i don't know why i have a need to say this but your brother make a lot of difficult decisions and i think by and large i didn't agree with all of them but i think he was a pretty great president. anyway -- [applause] >> you can say that all you wa want. >> and as relates speed is also a mighty fine brother. >> seems like a great guy. and we know that if the obama administration had followed through with your brothers decisions related to iraq, probably we would not be in this mess today. but one question, two parts. where do you differ from your brother? and the other question is related to education.
8:56 am
most republicans prefer to have educational decision-making default to the states, if you're a strong supporter of common core which seems to centralize a lot of those decisions in washington spent first comp where i differ from my brother, i'm taller and younger -- [laughter] probably not as smart. the context of presidents are always different. when my dad was president in 1989 the world was changed in the year 2000 was differ from 1989. i know there's a fascination in the difference between them is with the difference between my brothers administration was we got attacked and he became a wartime president and i think he did an extra good job in keeping us safe. [applause] >> and as a result, the other areas where a president can put pressure on congress not to spend any kind of great some
8:57 am
discipline probably subsided because he was focused as he should've been as commander-in-chief of the greatest fighting force that's ever been assembled. and so are not faulting them. i'm just saying that, you can just check my record as governor, cut taxes every year, $19 billion. if you, john stoffel has done to report what you like because it made me look the best of all the governors running for president, where we cut spending more than any other governors that are are running. at its adjusted for the times in which we were so which we were surveyed and was adjusted for population growth. on a per capita basis we cut spending. when i left there was $9 billion of reserves. that was 35% of general revenue. who knows, we might of had eight hurricanes and for tropical from status or financial meltdown. these things matter. i was a committed conservative all the way through and that's what i would do as president.
8:58 am
and as a governor i wanted all the authority on education to all of it. i would've taken a lump sum from washington, d.c., give me the title one money, that's for the kids, the schools with low performing schools. give me the money that goes for children with learning disabilities. give me all the army childhood literacy, head start, given all that money. there's like 30 programs for pre-k. give me whatever my percentages, give me an outcome that you want me to achieve and leave me alone. that's what i would've wanted. 80% of bureaucrats and the department of education in tallahassee were there to fill out the forms for the 10% of the money we got from washington, d.c. and so i do not believe, common core or higher standards, and if the states want to have them, great. if they want to have different standards, fine. just make them high. look, the idea the idea they are
8:59 am
common is fine but it's not -- [applause] we had the greatest gains in learning of any state in the country, check it out. i'm not prone to exaggeration. compared to others at least i'm not prone to exaggeration. [laughter] so the greatest gains of learning happened because we raise the standards, we'll accountability, graded schools a-f from 100% based on student learning at every mom and dad knew and asked was not as good as an eight. when schools showed improvement that you 100 bucks per student more. went there was an f. parents were given vouchers to go to a private school or at high performing public school. we a limited social promotion in third grade, this idea that when you're in fourth grade and you don't i read, some notable be like some divine intervention to be able to get you through the day. you can't do science and math if you can't we get all of that was a state driven and that's the way it should be.
9:00 am
there should be no federal involvement integration of standard, content or curriculum. last the last . ..
9:01 am
for your degree in four years. that's the path we are on 4.4 chilean dollars of debt. we need to have high expectations in the zero tolerance for the attitude some kids can learn and some kids can't. in florida we prove otherwise. to put it in perspective for your 50th out of 50 in graduation rate. 50 is bad. [laughter] one would be good. and so we could even whisper things god for name your favorite state. we have 15 in almost 20 years of street improvement because of this where our accountability system is. there's a better way to do this but it needs to be driven. somebody over here in the back. it's a little dark back there.
9:02 am
bernie sanders said free college education mandatory content wants lower interest rates. how would you deal with the education issue in college? >> if you have children in florida,, in-state students have the lowest tuition in any country and any state in the united states. it's because we have two things, a bright future scholarship program that's merit-based and any person with a gpa gets a full ride. it's a full ride to go to school. and we put a cap on tuition. we now have a system where schools are measured on outcomes. universities have to produce what they expect them to.
9:03 am
we measured degree completion for public universities with full-time equipment students we measured the completion in six years. why do we call it a six-year degree? full-time equivalent students need 12 credit hours. i don't have a lot of sympathy for this. i was madly in love with my wife 42 years now. we congratulate and work. 18 hours. i that would be a big load for college. he couldn't get those credits now in many schools because teachers, professors don't teach the same way they might have back in the past but 18 hours
9:04 am
assume for the moment you studied for every hour that you took. i don't remember that but maybe i did. i don't remember in my adult life working more than 36 hours since 21-years-old. they can't do more than what they are being told they can do now. we should get four year degree is done. you want to save money for student loans, get the throughput faster so students can graduate at a faster rate than make sure that there is real accountability. in florida we have the system where we have a pool of money and each year it grows and it's the accountability money and if you have degree completion rates that don't meet the objective you get money taken away in the schools that do better against money given to them. now we have a system where everybody is competing to do the things we want more of which is
9:05 am
in sight majors but majors in degrees. the system around that with the government support and the tuition support create something that's probably the best deal people will get in florida whether it's community colleges or higher education than any other interaction they will have with the government. there's lots of those kind of ideas that exist in the country and federal government should get out of the way a little bit and be a partner for innovation from the bottom up. across the spectrum of the policy. [applause] the government in washington is not designed to come up with a creative idea and the impulse is to take power away and as you take power away you take the innovative spirit away as well. and if losing over 50 states despite the good intentions never work as well as trying the new hampshire way in florida way
9:06 am
just know instinctively whatever the subject matter comes up tonight and most other ways by default first to shifting power back to the states rather than have the government be the end-all and be-all and focus on the priorities. keep it safe area to build building military, counterintelligence capability. the infrastructure mayors nationwide, the things that matter in for safety and growth and i think that's what the government should work on. yes ma'am. [applause] >> i have a question on behalf of my mother-in-law. she is very worried about our natural resources. whether or not they are going to run out. and with all the immigrants population coming in and we bring in refugees and so is that
9:07 am
pretty much what it is? >> [inaudible] >> i share your concern about protecting their natural resources. in fact i think we have a duty. we are the dominant species on the planet. our nature is a gift from god. we are children of god and simplified discusses how i get to where we believe we need to be. we have a duty of conservation and protection. the good news for america is we are a big, big country full of abundance and we can grow our economy and be respectful of the natural environment and find common ground and i will resort back to my experience in florida. we had the largest land purchasing programs in the country. it was called florida for ever and it was a bipartisan consensus in our states that every year we would buy
9:08 am
$300 million of pristine florida before it got developed before someone come a developer would come and buy it and be able to housing on it. and the ecosystems that we needed to protect florida is a lot different in new hampshire. i've been traveling around this beautiful state. our trees don't change color in florida. i've never seen the beautiful mountains and hills that you have here. [applause] florida has good things going on but also an extraordinarily fragile environment and we have a duty and is a value in the states to protect florida and we did it and believe that we can do it is to grow our economy because that provided the resources for us to make this commitment. if you think about the everglades if you've ever been down in south florida, there is no other place like it. i am proud of it. it's a resource that is unique to the world and it's got all
9:09 am
sorts of fish that needs to be protected and it's also the one or supply in another place where there's not a conflict that there is even needed to share the resource and do it in a respectful way. we begin the process of cleaning up the everglades and protecting the water resource as well as for the growing population and i think that's the way you do this. you do is respectful of nature with respectful of nature but also recognize that we have to allow people -- not worrying about the other things that go on but the thing i worry about the most is how much money people have in their pockets. people are really struggling right now. they are one or two paychecks away from having big changes in their lives and we should be sensitive to that because people are putting a lid on aspirations every time i think about the needs of the country or in my
9:10 am
case when i was governor i was also mindful of the fact we should be growing incomes at the same time. >> go ahead. just let it rip. [inaudible] you are yielding your time? yes sir. well done. thank you for your years of public service. i'm from new hampshire i'm a chaplain at the united industry at the university of amateur and to my left is the associate chaplain of saint thomas. >> i'm on your team. a >> we are all children of god.
9:11 am
[laughter] [applause] >> absolutely. that was a simple joe. >> i get in all the time. we would like to offer a simple prayer for people of faith that is the issue that concerns us we would like to offer that humbly. we pray for the leaders to ease the suffering of climate change to a more just society god of all creation. we pray for the poor and vulnerable, those most affected by climate change and fossil fuel extraction. god of all creation. >> [inaudible] and offshore oil drilling. and finally we pray for the leaders to open their hearts up to climate justice. the god of all creation for
9:12 am
someone to did great things in florida i would like to know how you will lead us into basing the climate change and those most affected. >> that was a very elegant way to get to the task at hand. [laughter] the answer applies to this issue as well i think we can solve more problems when our economy is growing and people's income is growing and so the solution can't be too hollow out economic activity because you could reduce carbon emissions and we could all increasingly move towards poverty and i don't think that's the answer for our country. in fact that's kind of the path we are on, disposable income is now $2,000 lower than it was six years ago and in the recovery that's never happened before and we have these big structural
9:13 am
changes going on around the world and some people can just write us off that you just have to get used to it it's kind of the end of the american era just have to accept it but i don't believe that is the case. i answered this as a resident of miami. a place that my home is probably 12 feet above sea level so i'm on the high point in the community. 12 is about as high as it gets. if you have over some extended computer co. of time if you have rising sea levels and rising tides in a place like florida that wasn't engineered were designed for any kind of major increase the first thing i have to do is adapt and create policies of adaptation to recognize that the climate is to change we should have an insurance policy to adapt to these things. second the proper role for government in my mind is to
9:14 am
spend more money on basic research to identify the disruptive energy sources that will be competitive and you can see how that plays out if you follow energy policy in our country, natural gas and hydraulic drilling has had a dramatic increase in reserves and the price has gone down by a folded from double-digit down to two and a half dollars and it's created an abundant source of energy that's reduced carbon emissions by 10% in the last decade as we convert from other heavy sources of carbon and it's also challenged the other sources of energy so solar has seen a dramatic reduction in its cost because the baseline has dropped thanks to natural gas. wind is competitive today and in a place like iowa where you have
9:15 am
ample and consistent wind you now have wind being built without any subsidies. and it's because in our country investing in because long-term things and these long-term things and creating the environment where competition horses down the cost of change creates the desired effect and that is the intersection where we need to be in my mind, solving problems and then fixing and growing our economy at the same time i. it would be a bad affordable deal and it would increase utility prices by exponentially. the people that would be hurt by that are low income people and moderate income people this community and everybody else i know of cares about. [applause]
9:16 am
be all know social security isn't going to go on forever if we don't make any changes. probably going to run out of money anywhere from seven to 17 years depending upon who you listen to. what kind of things would you be doing specifically to make sure that doesn't happen and am sure social security for our seniors, kids and grandkids collect >> i answered this question my very first trip to new hampshire by responding to someone that asked the exact same question exactly how you did it and someone in the back yelled at me it's not an entitlement and as a supplemental retirement systems of before anybody else at me i want to be clear entitlements would be obamacare, medicaid, medicare. those are entitlements based on certain criteria is, income or age for social security is an unsound supplemental retirement system.
9:17 am
it wasn't that way when life expectancy was 64 when it was founded in the retirement age was 65. it was like the most conservative. i grew up in texas and people used to -- i can remember not my parents but people would talk about franklin roosevelt like he was a socialist or something. it's the most conservative idea and manager of someone proposed that in washington, d.c. right now they would be considered paul ryan or someone like that. so how do you fix it? the same way in the 1980s you have to get people together from both parties but the simple way is to raise the retirement age. protect and preserve for those that already have it.
9:18 am
it would be going forward for every month you've taken up a month for every year and over time you phase it in. that would bring about solvency for social security just as it did in the 1980s the same process applied. the bigger challenge is medicare and medicaid growing at a rate that is three times the rate of all the other spending and the power of compounding is going to consume everything else and yesterday i proposed a way to deal with medicaid which is to get it out of the hands of washington, allow states to take the medicaid dollars going forward, take the kids insurance money, put it in the lump sum and take the obamacare subsidies that are done through the exchanges and put them together to allow the legislatures and governors of the states without a mandate that exist right now to craft 21st century insurance policies that are focused on
9:19 am
catastrophic coverage low premium and expand the amount and assume for a moment this would be an idea idea that's where people idea that poor people need informed choices when you give them information. that they are not going to -- this idea of people in poverty can't make decisions for themselves perpetuates poverty. it's wrong. i've seen too many examples where the opposite is the case. people are poor. they are capable of making decisions and so i think that is the bigger challenge and i will unveil a plan relating to this. you have obamacare and you have people like me who work full-time and can't afford insurance, i don't qualify and i
9:20 am
find to try to get medicine because it's not cheap. it's expensive when you have things like this and you want to be a productive person. to get insurance to have to qualify for disability. i can work and just as capable as the next person. i can do anything. [laughter] >> i'm looking for someone. >> but the point is i'm here and i'm working and i don't want to just accept government money that people like me fall through the cracks and that's not fair. >> and >> in the health care plan i unveiled yesterday which repeals obamacare and replaces it with a new system we would give credit to every person that doesn't have company insurance and that credit would be equal to what they could purchase and whatever means they could have.
9:21 am
we took the credit amount and then if you took the states to go forward with new plans, states could add to that or a small business because this problem that you faced as an individual and i will get to that it also applies to the small businesses so they either provide the full interns with all the mandates and costs or they don't provide anything. so in my plan i would say small businesses could also make contributions to people's individual insurance and employees and they would get a tax deduction for about. there is a social security trust fund that's been corrupt. you don't work or you don't get
9:22 am
anything and there are always the people that have. there ought to be a partial payment and that just makes common sense that i advocate that because that's what less than the cost of disability and get people back in the workforce. there's other ideas about how people are trapped about working. have you heard about the marriage penalty asked my wife would say that i'm the marriage penalty. [laughter] so if you have a spouse that is working part-time or not at all and needs to get back in the workforce every dollar is taxed at the marginal rate survey could be paying 30% close to the minimum wage to work part-time and that cost in peds many
9:23 am
people from getting back in the workforce. i think we all allow for people to file individually to even make the marriage penalty. another way to deal with social security is to recognize a lot of people it's a supplemental retirement system so if you are 67-years-old and want to work or have to work you continue to pay through the employee portion of the payroll tax. you've already paid for 50 years from 20 to 67. i proposed as a way to generate more work and income for people to allow for. we have an earned income tax credit in the country that is
9:24 am
the best means to deal with people that are near or at the poverty level to get them to work this is on the left and right. automation takes place in people have to lower the cost and that's how they do it. earned income tax credit for people that are single which doesn't exist now from 20 to 25 people have hundreds of thousands of people being able to work and get their first bomb on the latter. every one of these things requires the change because the well intended ideas in the law might have worked in 1950 and maybe 1975 created a don't work in the world we are in today so we need a total transformation of the relationship the government has as its relates to regulation and taxes. good luck.
9:25 am
i want to ask you this since we are standing right here. i'm from the space coast and florida. in june, 2005 we were both watching an amazing experience. since then i decided to join the fellow citizens as citizens for space. what are you going to do to get congress on board and increasing the budget from under 1% to bring the state program back to the united states picking up the leading country in the world and not just russia and china? [applause]
9:26 am
there was a plan that was being built and the state of florida put up a sizable amount we pay a 50 million to lower i can't remember if it was groaning or lockheed to build and design do so that it would replace the shuttle and it would be an interim to the next generation of the launch vehicle that ultimately would look like you could launch it and come back and have dramatic reductions in cost and you could have access to space at a rate that would allow for the discovery, science, all sorts of things that would allow us to prosper and leave the world. that project was killed and we now access space this is the same country drumming circles
9:27 am
country drumming circles round us and use the united states as a menace and not as an ally. but now they can shut down the ability to access the space station. so clearly we need to have an independent means by which to access space and i'd take it beyond that. scientific discoveries that come from connecting with space are incredible and i am biased. it's been it's a great deal but we need to be more more aspirational again. i remember this will sound kind of odd that four years ago in one of the debates the speaker talked about colonizing india was one of those big crowds for or 5,000 republicans. those crowds get rowdy and people started laughing and i'm thinking really?
9:28 am
i think it's pretty. what's wrong about having these aspirational goals it's not in the absence of taking care of the hungry or the poor. we are a big country in a generous country and the benefits of this are far more than people realize and so i think we have to persuade people that there are benefits in the here and now when we discover we have a zeal for discovery and then create a strategy around it. it shouldn't be all things to all people and then finally the other part of this would-be partner with the dreamers in the private sector. it's not going to be perfect. you can can't plan everything. these are dangerous to risks. partner with people that can bring an intense process as well so i just was thinking we were going to bring up the tragedy that took place i will never forget that when i went as governor to the state of florida
9:29 am
on the tarmac for the tribute to the astronauts that died a think it was in 2005 and. it's a recognition that this is a dangerous endeavor but it's worth being engaged in. you remember what your question is? the first part i heard you talk about the tax reform and i need
9:30 am
being corrected but from my understanding the tax system works so you have to tax brackets but then it ends up being aggressive because the capital gains tax rate is less than all the other tax rates so they have less taxable income so do people into paying less taxes so it's a two-part question. one you are talking a lot about people creating jobs. >> i haven't profit up today. they are going to create jobs. rich people invest in the stock market. what will you do to incentivize people to not invest in the stock market but actually invest in the economy to create jobs
9:31 am
and i have a three-part question. it's two and a half. he you said poor people can make their own decisions so i'm asking you to you think the culture of poverty exists and if you do not then how can the average white family makes a lot more money than the average black family and latino family and there is no cultural poverty that you would attribute this to spare the two. >> we do have a culture of poverty. we have intergenerational poverty for the first time in america if you are born poor you are more likely to stay poor than any other time in history and there are factors in mac and to assume there is no way for people in poverty to make decisions for themselves self validates the poverty and i reject that out of hand if you want to lift people up you need to give them the power to make
9:32 am
choices for themselves and this has nothing to do with race. it has to do with people being born poor because we have systems on top of them that lives on their aspirations. you want to lift people out of poverty there are three things that would be helpful. allow them to live in safe communities. they have higher crime rates and it makes it harder for the community itself to rise up and you need to have stronger families and three you need to make sure jobs are available and perhaps most important you need to revolutionize education so that everybody has a chance to be successful. we do have a progress of tax rates when you consider that the top 1% pay 45% of all taxes in the country. that is a fairly
9:33 am
disproportionate amount. my proposal says is that we are going to reduce the rates for everybody and if you make $40,000 or less a family of four you won't pay any federal income taxes and the middle-class will middle class will get a 33% cut in the rate so everybody would benefit from this and we would put a cap -- the reason the marginal rates may be higher than the effective rate is because the point you are making whether it's capital gains were other things as well people take advantage of interest deductions and charitable detections and they take advantage of not new hampshire or florida that state and local tax deductions they take advantage of all the carveouts and special deals all of which are probably intended but a matter of the fact is that lowers the effective rate for higher income people. my plan puts a cap on that so that you can deduct all you could have deducted before three
9:34 am
of my plan would eliminate a the buffet story that he says he has to pay less than his administrative assistant because if you put a cap on those deductions you would have the higher rate. on corporate rates where the jobs would be created as well i am suggesting going from 35 highest corporate tax rate to 20% to allow for the full deduction of all capital investing. if you want to create jobs, allow for investing in our own country and eliminate the worldwide taxation and eliminate interest deductions with people that are are the people that are investing are the ones in the jobs that you're talking about investing in the real economy they are not investing in the financial markets. my plan also calls for the elimination of the special deduction that private equity firms get for people in business where they get capital gains for
9:35 am
their business. they should pay ordinary income like everybody else. so the proposal that i laid out identifies some of the good points that you bring out and i'm glad you did bring them out >> [inaudible] i don't think it's a good idea at least in the two major in the marines and the army. it's different when you are flying planes or helicopters and being on the ground. >> how i would go about any of
9:36 am
these social issues if you will, these are significant issues in the defense department and military. i would not impose a political ideology on the military or a social belief. you have to rely on the commanders in the field. this has to be a process where you respect -- the commander-in-chief has to create the strategy and the checks and balances. that's how the system works. but you can't micromanage the military. you have to make sure that every focus is on what is the optimum morale by being the powerful military force so that the perception makes it less likely that we do it. that should be the priority for the commander-in-chief so i would listen to the folk's that would be making this decision not to let them come up with the
9:37 am
result i want because i get a feeling sometimes that's kind of where we are. i would listen before making that judgment and you bring up a good point there are conditions that make it hard to imagine that if someone can convince me they believe it's in the best interest for the optimum row -- morale i'm all for it but i think there's too much politicization of everything in washington. we need to trust people to make these important decisions based on their experience which would be far more than i have as it relates to the military >> today is the birthday of general dwight eisenhower. [applause]
9:38 am
later he had some pretty strong words. president president dwight eisenhower had some words to say about the complex. so i'm wondering if seems that some of the candidates want to keep growing the budget and that is first and foremost even if other things have to be sacrificed. would you be willing to set some limits and make sure that the corporations that sell the weapon systems don't influence our politicians? >> that's a very good point, and i brought up this point to a certain extent in that every aspect of spending needs to be challenged in washington, d.c..
9:39 am
when you have the f. 35 this incredible -- this will be the most powerful plane in the sky better than the russians and the chinese, but its cost, the costs are exponentially lower than anybody ever imagined that it's taking exponentially more time than anybody imagined and one of the things that's going on in washington, d.c. now i'm a senator mccain's kennedy and the house as well as looking at procurement reform which i think is essential. instead of having these big huge complex weapons systems that require maybe two or three contractors the only people that can get it are these big aggregators if you will. but we ought to do is have a more strategic approach to this and then build on it. one is the speed for getting the
9:40 am
equipment to the field as fast as possible and it makes it much more agile if you start small and build on it. we are building these big sophisticated weapon systems. the 35 is the most expensive one i think and they take way too long. it doesn't allow for competition into the costs seem to be always -- as cost overruns. then the technology has to be refreshed anyway. there's all sorts of across the spectrum of life. you see technological advances and certainly information technology but also gps technology and all the things that require the weapon system to be effective. there's just dramatic changes. the weight of certain metals,
9:41 am
the storage of energy in batteries, there's all sorts of things if we did it the right way this is what is being proposed and i totally support this. it also gives more contractors onto the playing field to create a more competitive environment and process so that the big guys don't dominate think you very much. [applause] [inaudible conversations]
9:42 am
all i needed to burn i learned in high school in. ♪
9:43 am
♪ ♪
9:44 am
♪ [inaudible conversations]
9:45 am
[inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations]
9:46 am
[inaudible conversations] and audible conversations [inaudible conversations]
9:47 am
and audible conversations [inaudible conversations]
9:48 am
[inaudible conversations] can i get a picture with you?
9:49 am
>> sure in. where did you get back to picture? dot looks better than i normally look. thank you so much. that is so kind of you. [inaudible conversations]
9:50 am
[inaudible conversations]
9:51 am
[inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations]
9:52 am
[inaudible conversations]
9:53 am
[inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations]
9:54 am
[inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations]
9:55 am
[inaudible conversations] there would be a long process. you earn the status.
9:56 am
>> you need to send me information. >> [inaudible conversations] you don't need much money. [inaudible conversations]
9:57 am
[inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations]
9:58 am
9:59 am
10:00 am
in just a moment we'll go live to the senate for the pro forma session. no work is scheduled for today.. live to the senate floor october 16, 2015. to the senate: under the provisions of rule 1, paragraph 3, of the standing rules of the senate, i hereby appoint the honorable shelley moore capito, a senator from the state of west virginia, to perform the duties of the chair. signed: orrin g.hatch, president pro tempore. the presiding officer: under the previous order, the senate stands adjourned until monday,

15 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on