Skip to main content

tv   Book Discussion on Gloria Steinem  CSPAN  January 2, 2016 9:00am-10:21am EST

9:00 am
we should just take out all those neighborhoods to the point where you had these decisions to white entire cities off the map. horrifying but has to be understood in the peculiar context of this most terrible war in history. >> there has been speculation that roosevelt for the end of this period said we are going to unconditional surrender and some speculation about a european war. the think it had impact? ..
9:01 am
where he simply blurted out in front of newsman, we are going to accept nothing what-- less than unconditional surrender and if you look at the footage you can see the expression on winston churchill's face, we haven't talked about that and that could be a mistake and of course it could not be taken back. it was a gifted to the propaganda-- propaganda's on the other side said what is unconditional surrender and they said they will come in and basically enslave us, so therefore we have to fight to the end. on the other hand, if the allies had pushed for unconditional surrender in 1918, 1919, perhaps
9:02 am
the second world war would not have had to be fought is the counterpoint. yes ma'am. >> what are you covering, necessarily? have you covered the naval battle, the battle of the philippine sea qu├ębec guess, the philippine sea. >> october 1944? >> that will come-- it's a three book series in the first one is the first six months of war. surprise strike on pearl harbor to the devastating american counterpunch in the battle of midway and also quite a bit,-- the background and what it happened earlier and this was the middle part of the war between june 1942, and july, 1944. really ended with the battle in the philippine sea-- [inaudible]
9:03 am
>> will you cover the land war in the philippines? >> to some extent. yes ma'am. >> can i just say one thing? >> guess. >> on saturday, october 24, if anyone is interested, there's a conference on world war ii in the philippines at the san francisco main library. >> i saw that. >> i am one of the cochairs of it. >> what is the date again? >> october 24. >> saturday. >> starts at 10:30 a.m. >> at the main branch of the san francisco public library. i will try to make that, if i can. [applause]. >> if you have a book, come on
9:04 am
up. [inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations] >> you're watching book tv on c-span 2, television for serious readers and here's a look at what's on prime time tonight. 7:00 p.m. eastern with military historian ian toll on allied offenses in the pacific from 1942 to 1944. at 8:00 p.m., myself-- michelle malkin presents her thoughts on the american workforce in an ibm abdul reports on isis from strategy to misconceptions. 10:00 p.m. former white house to be the cheapest karl rove joins afterwards to talk about the importance of the election of 1896. at 11:00 p.m., our coverage of a
9:05 am
book released that happens tonight on c-span 2 book tv. [applause]. >> good evening everyone. thank you for coming out and braving the reigning-- rainy evening here. as you know, we have a very treasured, in our view, and long
9:06 am
wonderful partnership with our friends here. we host some of our favorite author events in this beautiful stage and i just wanted to thank esther and jackie and all of the people here, so please give them a hand. they are doing an incredible job with this wonderful wonderful space and we share with them a real mission to strengthen and build our community. it's such a pleasure to host gloria steinem deceiving and she will talk about her new book called: "my life on the road". we were counted up her previous books and there are a bunch of best sellers and we think this is her seventh, depending on how you count. once you read this i'm sure you will find it as compelling and engaging as her writing noises. now, to do a proper introduction of gloria steinem would take a entire hour, which i don't think
9:07 am
you want me to do and that is because of that number of causes she has championed and advocacy groups she has nurtured and articles and essays and books she has three-- written, speeches she has given, magazines she has launched and awards she has one, so i will mention a few highlights. i think everyone knows she was the cofounder of ms. magazine and was editor for many maggot-- many years. she founded the national women's political caucus, so if you're old enough you will know that is one of the first politically centered advocacy groups for women and in 2013, this is pretty amazing and totally deserved, she received the nation's highest civilian honor, presidential medal of freedom awarded by president obama. perhaps, less quantifiable, but no less important as the sheer
9:08 am
impact of her words and ideas on the political and social discourse of our country over more than five decades. in her new book, "my life on the road", it's really one story told through many stories about her life's journey and i say journey, the roach is travel, the people she has met, books she has read, ideas she's considered from a childhood to her eventual discovery with what a real home means and that was fairly late in life and she is a wonderful writer and storyteller and a woman who is willing to speak truth to power and has been backbone for over half a century to fight for the rights of women, people of court-- color, the poor, children and pretty much everyone on societies list. like many of you in audience tonight, i suspect, i grew up on ms. magazine and thanks to gloria steinem i probably labeled myself a feminist ever since.
9:09 am
i know i am not alone, gloria, and appreciating that you have spent your life giving words to the aspirations and ambitions of hundreds of williams-- with women worldwide and their families and their country, so thank you for being an inspiration. tonight gloria will be in conversation with the number one america nations activist, maxine waters. [applause]. >> now in her 13th term in the us house of representatives and representing the first and fascinating district of los angeles, congressman waters has earned the reputation over her career for being fearless, outspoken, relentless and above all, affective. she was on unstoppable agent of change and i grew up in california during more than a decade of the california state
9:10 am
assembly where she fought for the divestment and work to protect affirmative action and is a determined leader in congress and the national democratic lauter-- true champion of justice and if you have had a chance already to read look, you will learn that maxine waters and gloria steinem actually first crossed paths that a single event back in 1977, national women's conference in houston. lets just say the world has never been the same since and where the better, so please join meanwhile coming gloria steinem and congress and maxine waters. [applause]. [applause].
9:11 am
>> well, this is the beginning of another book is all i can say. you have to promise me, do you all know each other in this room? i mean, there are so many people i know in coming we have to organize tonight, all rights? so, we are going to talk for a bit, but half of the time belongs to you, so this is, you know, trouble will result from the fact that we work together tonight, but this is a conversation, so maxine. >> gloria and i have a lot to talk about, but we can't talk about it in front of all of you.
9:12 am
[laughter] >> gloria steinem changed my life. i met her in 1977 at the wonderful conference in houston, and i have never seen anyone like gloria. [inaudible] >> that was shouted at her all the time and i finally said to gloria, why do you let her talk to you that way and gloria said, this is the way we talk to each other in new york. [laughter] >> i remember that so clearly because maxine, we did not know each other and bella was really shouting at me and if you know bella you knew she just shouted at you about how terrible something was and he waited until she finished in the next line why you did it and she said
9:13 am
, well, maybe you are right and then she went on and i could see maxine looking appalled at this and i did say, this is the way we talk in new york, which isn't actually true, but i was trying to comfort her. >> and if so, at the conference many of us were there not knowing what we were supposed to do and how we were supposed to do it and so as a few days went by we started to or tried organize the minority caucus and we said we had a lot to say, but we didn't really know how to write it, so gloria was drafted to write everything for everyone and we dictated to her much of what we wanted to say and not only did i get a chance to do the preamble is the book states to the minority plank, but the most wonderful thing was
9:14 am
following that she asked me to join the board of her foundation and i did. i was a member of the california state assembly at that time and all of the ideas that i had about trying to create opportunities for women, becoming a feminist, i took those ideas and was able to get many of them signed into law and one that i will just share with you was, at the time i was in the california state assembly insurance companies would not pay for the buildup after vasectomies and said it was cosmetic surgery. i was a feminist, i wasn't going for that and so because of being able to serve on the board and witnessed all of these proposals that came in unsolicited, i
9:15 am
learned to move on things like that, and of course, i had it signed into law, but my fight change because of gloria steinem and i ended up in new york every month or so and met so many different people and gloria was, you know, i had not met such a woman before in my life and here was this woman who was young, who i thought should have been a model and here she was organizing and working and she was way outside of the box, dating a black man and so-- and so we had these wonderful wonderful times together and we reminisced a lot about what we were going to do later on in life and here we are later on in life and we have not organized to do it yet, where we are all going to end up-- but this book that glory has written really
9:16 am
does tell you who she is, what she cares about and the experiences that she had. it's wonderful reading. won't tell you anymore or say much more about it except gloria doesn't know what impact she had on my life in summary ways and the stories she told, i remember them all. when i read about her mother in this book, it was just like talking to gloria all over again and she explaining to me what had happened in her life with her mom, so thank you, gloria. >> no, thank you. you know, maxine has always been in the forefront. we haven't planned this conversation, right, but just now i was thinking about your struggle in california to keep the cops from doing internal searches of women that they stopped for traffic reasons,
9:17 am
right. there were says-- just such another story in the press from another state, but what we have discovered about the mistreatment of women, what a black lives matter is saying, what, you know, maxine is zero's been there and if any other woman wins the presidency it will be because maxine and barbara lee and barbara mikulski and all of the people who have been out there proving that women can be respected in authority in public life, it will be because all of those women and a maxine especially in summary ways have demonstrated that women's authority in public life is okay, it's normal, it's
9:18 am
a good, it's positive because otherwise i think we are so used to seeing women only in child rearing, women to. we associate women authority with nurturing and emotion and things inside the home. we see male authority as rational and appropriate to affairs outside the home and communal, i think that's part of the reason that it's hard for some women to and especially for men and i see it when i think and see some of the grown-up guys on television saying ridiculous things about-- well, i'm thinking that 2008, now when hillary clinton took all of this [bleep] and a big grown-up news guys were saying i cross my legs when i see her, she reminds me of my first wife waiting outside for alimony.
9:19 am
coming, hello? and i think it away they felt regressed to childhood because that was the last time they saw a woman in authority. so, you know, maxine has so helped to change that, to open up a space for female talents of all kind in public life and i'm so grateful for that. now, the problem is we don't get to see each other not, so we are really here to see each other. >> you know, as i said, i started my trips to new york and met wonderful women and i could recall-- i could, but i won't all of, many of the meetings we had. tell about marlo thomas in those meetings and free to be, i
9:20 am
remember all of that that gloria supported and we had some very very talented women who were true feminists and i want to tell you, you might be a little bit surprised, but for me to identify myself as a feminist back in the day, black women say what are you talking about. you can't be a feminist, that's a white woman's thing. >> that is so wrong. to me black women invented feminism disproportionately. >> i know, but all of that gets distorted. but, i think people would like to hear about some of these trips. i had just an opportunity to read part of the preface here and i think the story that you told about being in this place
9:21 am
where the bikers were-- >> okay, all right. >> it's a wonderfully written and so absolutely educational about how you must not think about people based on what you think you see, but if you just stop and talk with folks you can dirt-- learn an awful lot. can you share? >> i think the road is my substitute for meditation and my friends tell me that i should meditate, i never do it, but i think that's partly because the road is my form of it and forces you to live in the present. it forces you to be, you know, allied with all of your senses and to question all of your positions, so i will read this will, which is the prelude to the book and then i have another section, which is supposed to
9:22 am
lead us into organizing, but we can wait for a while. i board a plane for rapid city, south dakota, and see a lot of people in black leather chains and tattoos. airline passengers usually look like where they are going, business suits to washington dc, genes to la, but i can imagine a convention of such unconventional visitors in rapid city. it's the kind of town where people's still angle park their cars out of the movie palace. my bearded seatmate is asleep in a studded jacket and nose ring, so i just accept one more mr. of the road. at the airport i meet five female friends from different parts of the country. we are diverse group of women, a cherokee activists and her granddaughter who is here, rebecca, the turkey activist, okay.
9:23 am
to african-american writers and one musician and me. we have been invited to a lakota sioux powwow celebrating a powerful place that women held before patriarchy arrived from europe and efforts now to restore that place. as we drive toward the badlands, we see an acre of motorcycles around each isolated diner in motel. this solves the mystery of the leather in the chains, but creates another. when we stop for coffee hour waitress can't believe that we don't know. every august since 1938, bikers from all over the world have come here for a rally named after sturges, a town that is just a white place in the road. they are drawn to the sparsely populated space and forest, mountains and a grid of highway so straight that it is
9:24 am
recognizable from outer space. right now, about 250,000 bikers are filling every motel and campground within 500 miles. our band of six strong women take note, the truth is we are a little afraid of a semi- bikers in one place. how could we not be? we have learned from movies that the bikers travel in packs, treat women like possessions and they see other women as sexual fair game. but, we don't run into the bikers because we spend our drays-- days traveling out unmarked roads pass the last stand of trees in indian country and the home-cooked food brought in trucks, sit on blankets around powwow grounds where dancers follow the heart beat of drums and watch indian ponies as decorated as the dancers. when it rains a rainbow stretches from camp the two camps see and fields of what
9:25 am
sweetgrass become as freight went as gigantic flowers. only when we return late each eye to our cabin do we see motorcycles in the parking lot. while walking in rapid city i hear a bikers say to his tattooed woman partner, honey, shop as long as you want. i will beat-- meet you at the chino place. i assume this is aberration. on our last morning, i enter the watch alone for an early breakfasts, trying to remain both inconspicuous and open-minded. still, i'm hyper conscious of a room full of jackboots and very few women. in the booth next to me a man with chains around his muscles and it women in leather pants and an improbable hairdo are taking notes of my presence and
9:26 am
finally the woman comes over to talk. i just want to tell you, she says tearfully, how much ms. magazine has meant to me over the years. [laughter] >> and my husband, also. [laughter] >> he read some now that he is retired, but what i wanted to ask isn't one of the women you are traveling with alice walker, i love her poetry. it turns out that she and her husband have been coming to this motorcycle rally every year since they were first married. she loves the freedom of the road and also the mysterious moonscape of the badlands. she urges me to walk there, but to follow the path marked by ropes. during the war over the sacred black hills, she explains, lakota warrior's found refuge there because the cauvery got
9:27 am
lost every time. her husband said-- stops by on his way to the cashier and suggests i see the huge statue of crazy horse that's being dynamited out at the black hills. crazy horse riding his pony he says is going to make all of those indian killing presidents on mount rushmore look like nothing. he walks away, a gentle lumbering man, tattoos, chains and all. before she leaves my new friend tells me to look out the big picture window at the parking lot. see that purple harley out there , the big gorgeous one, that's mine. i used it to write behind my husband and never took the road on my own, then after the kids were grown, i put my foot down. it was hard, but we finally got to be partners.
9:28 am
now he says he likes it better this way. he doesn't have to worry about his bike breaking down or getting a heart attack and totaling as both. i even put ms. on my license plate and you should see my grandkids faces when grandma right up on her purple harley. on my own again, i look out at the barren sand, tortured rocks of the badlands stretching for miles. i have walked in there and i know close-up, the barren sand reveals layers of pale beige and rose. the rock strata to to have intricate womb like openings. even in the distant cliffs caves of rescue a peer. what seems to be one thing i'm a distance, is very different close-up. i tell you this story because it's the kind of lesson that can be learned only on the road. also, because i have come to believe that inside each of us
9:29 am
has a purple motorcycle. we have only to discover it and ride. [applause]. >> i love that. i love that. >> i thought you would enjoy that, also. i loved it, but even more than the actual story and the lesson that is taught in the story, the way gloria writes is so wonderful and the descriptive nature of her writing as she describes the landscape and all those things is just so wonderful. and easy reading, it's like you talk to her and so i know she had some other things she wanted to read, but i really wanted you to hear that. >> okay, so shall i read my organizing thing and then we can start talking to each other?
9:30 am
all rights. i have to find a. okay. all the years of campaigning has given me one clear message, voting is not the most we can do , but it is the least. to have a democracy you have to want one, still i realize this fully only by looking back. at the beginning of the 1980s, i went to missouri, to campaign for harriet woods in her u.s. senate race. i bet there are people here who remember harriet woods. she was a great candidate and her path into politics was so improbable that no one could have made it up. as a mother of two young children, she complained about a noisy manhole cover that awakened them every time a car
9:31 am
rolled over it. when she got nowhere with the city council, she circulated a neighborhood petition to close the street to cars. it worked. this success letter to run for the city council, she won, served eight years, got appointed to the state highway commission, ran a successful race for the state legislature and was reelected there also. all of this made her a viable candidate statewide. still, this was not enough for the state democratic party. it's going to sound familiar to a lot of people. when it came time to choose a primary candidate in the us senate race, it backed a well-to-do banker who had never run for anything. but, had written checks. but, she turned out to have something more important than her party's blessing, community support and volunteers. she beat the rich guy to to one and a suddenly harriet woods was in a race, which republican senator john danforth.
9:32 am
he was not only the incumbent, but a former attorney general of missouri, an ordained episcopal priest and the rich grandson of the founder of ralston purina. it was as if she were running against the entire patriarchy. when i went to campaign for her, i could see that all the new feminist electoral groups were working their hearts out. they were volunteering in her statewide campaign. though, missouri was often counted as an hot-- anti- choice state, woods refused to budge from her support for reproductive human is a fundamental human right and in the end she wanted in rural republican areas anyway. including one so conservative that it was known as little dixie. but, in the final week, she had run out of money and couldn't answer the last minute storm of attacks. she lost by less than 2% of the
9:33 am
vote. it was so clear that she could have one with money to answer those last senate attacks that her race inspired the founding of emily's list. [applause]. >> and this pass it went on to attract 3 million members and b, one of biggest in the nation as well as the single against resource for women in politics. but, danforth did when. he took with him to washington and african-american lawyer named clarence thomas. who had been working for months and tell, that agrochemical giant that gave us agent orange, genetically engineered feed and more. indeed, danforth got him that job at monsanto, also. as danforth explained, he was
9:34 am
very attracted to thomas, not only because he was a rare african-american conservative, but also because he also had studied to be a priest, in his case, a catholic priest. all this happened decades ago. yet, the impact of her loss by a few hundred votes goes on. if you don't believe me, flashforward to the morning after the 2000 bush versus gore presidential election. with national results hanging by the threat, of a few thousand disputed votes in florida. i just happened to be speaking at palm beach county community college that morning. its campus just happened to be in a poor area and therefore, a democratic area and i could see that no one wanted to talk about anything but the election that was hanging by a thread.
9:35 am
a young african-american woman monroe's to say that she had registered to vote by phone and then challenged by her polling place because caucasian had been printed next to her name. she never did get to vote in an older african-american man said he had been denied the right to vote because he was told he had a felony conviction, yet he has never been accused of a crime, much less convicted. someone shouted out yes, you had, it's called voting while black. amid the laughter, and other manchus did to explain a man with names with people with felonies had been merged with voting rolls without checking if more than one person of the same name. then an older white woman said the bus from her retirement home had been sent to the wrongfully place. others testified the polling places were fewer and lines were longer and porta more democratic areas and people i given up because they were hourly workers who lost pay if they were not at
9:36 am
their jobs. then, a white man of 50 or so said he'd see the illustration of the ballot box only on the way out and realized he had actually voted for an extreme right-wing candidate when he thought he was voting for al gore. painful memories for everyone. that cause a dozen more people to groan and shouts that this had also happened to them. out of approximately 700 people in that one auditorium, at least 100 had been unable either to vote for their chosen candidate or to vote at all. i wondered, if there are this many in one auditorium, how many in all of beach-- palm beach county, how many in all the state of florida. finally, a white man of 30 or so rose to face me and in the name of his military service to his country, he said and also in the
9:37 am
name of his young daughter whom he wanted to grow up in a democracy he asked, will you stay and help us organize a protest tomorrow and the next day in the next, whatever it takes. i could feel a deep poll to say yes, yet i thought my presence might be used to call this a rebellion instigated by an outsider. instead, i promise to take the name, address and polling place of everyone let not been able to vote at all or had voted for a candidate they did not know they were voting for and give them to lawyers or gore as well as nonpartisan watchdogs outside the state. i went home. i called the election moyers and delivered the list as promised. when bush's lead was down to a mere 537 votes out of 6 million cast, the re-examine-- re-examination of the ballots stopped and florida's a secretary of state, katherine harris, also the cochair of bush's florida campaign declared
9:38 am
bush the winner. calls for a recount were deafening and is supported by the florida supreme court. however, the us supreme court ruled five to four that there were no uniform recount standard to meet the equal protection clause and no time to create one. it was a decision that would be compared with the dred scott decision, the 19th century supreme court ruling that no black person slave or free could ever become a citizen of the united states for its impact and for its clear biased. now, remember the horseshoe was lost, for want of a horseshoe the horse was lost, the battle was lost and so on, this parable should be the mantra of anyone who thinks that his or her vote doesn't count.
9:39 am
if harriett woods had it been defeated by less than 2% of the votes in missouri, danforth wouldn't have been a us senator. if danforth hadn't been a senator, clarence thomas would not have gone with him to washington as a staff member. if thomas had not been visible in washington as a rare african-american who opposed his communities majority views, he wouldn't have been appointed by the first president bush to head and to disempower the equal employment opportunity commission and then to sit on the dc court of appeals. if thomas had not been given such credentials he couldn't have been nominated by the same president bush to succeed the great civil right advocate thurgood marshall on the supreme court. if thomas had it not been on the supreme court, he could not have supplied the one-vote margin defaulted the florida recount. if there had been a recount, al
9:40 am
gore, not george w. bush would have been president as was concluded by a postelection examination of all uncounted ballots that was commissioned by 12 major news organizations. if george w. bush had not been president, the united states would have been less likely to lose the world since the after 911, by launching the longest war in us history with more bombs dropped on afghanistan during 14 years than in all of world war ii. plus, billions in tax dollars given to 20000 private contractors and thousands killed and wounded on both sides. if al gore had not-- not george w. bush had been president, global warming would have been taken more seriously. also, the united states would not have falsified evidence to justify invading or-- oil-rich iraq, thus starting an eight-year war and together with
9:41 am
afghanistan, convincing some in islamic countries that the united states was waging war on islam. without george w. bush, there would not be the biggest transfer of wealth into private hands in the history of the station, a pay ratio in which the average ceo parents 470 times more than the average worker. in canada, it's only 20 times more. and executive order giving an estimated 40 billion in tax dollars to catholic, evangelical and other religious groups without congressional approval, often with the appearance of turning churches into a boat delivery system. without clarence thomas to supply the one-vote majority, the supreme court might not have ruled that corporations are people with the right to
9:42 am
unlimited political spending in order to continue all of the above. well, you get the idea. the list goes on. we must not only vote. we must fight to vote. the voting booth is the one place on earth, where the least powerful and the most powerful are equal. i still dream about that veteran and his daughter. i so wish i had said yes. i have no idea whether we in the room could have made a difference. in truth, we don't know which of our acts in the present will shape the future. but, we have to behave as if everything we do matters because it might. [applause].
9:43 am
>> questions, answers, what do we have? two microphones here, right? you don't have to ask a question. really, you can give us an answer. [laughter] >> you can make organizing announcements of any upcoming troublemaking reading. >> this is it intimidating at all. hello, my name is robin. so, i do a lot of abortion storytelling work. i had an abortion until a lot of people about it. you do too, so i was wondering what your thoughts are on sort of the newer abortion
9:44 am
storytelling movement to be stated as stigmatized like like shaq your abortion and what you would say, either of you to women who have had abortions, who are thinking about, you know, whether or not they can speak about it, whether they can tell their choice about that. >> it's not my decision. it's their decision and it seems to me that political justice, social justice movements come out of telling the truth as much as we possibly can. it was the issue that made me understand that we needed women's movement because i went to cover on abortion herein before the supreme court's ruling and women were standing up and telling the stories of their abortions and i had never told the story of mine. you know, it's one in three american women that has needed
9:45 am
an abortion is sometime in in her life. it's like the marriage equality movement,-- you know, i just becomes from telling the truth, respecting each other's choices, telling the truth, discovering you're not alone. do you want to address this, maxine? >> well, i can recall being a young girl in st. louis, missouri, and of course, all of my friends about the same age, 16, 15, 17, 18 and girls were getting pregnant and there was a midwife who was in across the bridge, as we called in illinois and it became known through all of our communities that this is where you go in order-- to be dilated by this midwife and of course all of this-- these girls
9:46 am
would end up in the hospital infected and near-death, but i have always wondered, even though i was young, why i didn't think something was unusual about that. it was not until many years later, of course, when, you know, the feminist movement began to help women understand that they have a right to make choices and that's they have a right to good health care and all of that, that i thought about all of those young women who, some who died, i'm sure who were near-death and we just considered that that's just the way life is. we didn't rebel. we didn't talk about it. we didn't do anything and so when the feminist movement began to really make this discussion take place in this country, i
9:47 am
always felt a little bit guilty that i had not understood, you know, for so many years why women have the right to good health care, why didn't we have the right to good health care and why didn't we know that that was something awfully wrong with the way women were sneaking young girls to have abortion and put their lives online. >> you know, i don't want to keep people standing, but it occurs to me i can't ask other people to do it ido do, right, so i will redo the dedication of this book. >> this book is dedicated to doctor john sharp of london. who in 1957, a decade before physicians in england could legally perform a abortion for any reason, other than half of the woman took the considerable risk of referring for an abortion, a 22-year old american on her way to india.
9:48 am
knowing only that she had broken on engagement at home to seek an unknown fate, he said, he must promise me two things, first, you will not tell anyone my name and a second, you will do what you want to do with your life. dear doctor sharp, i believe you, who knew the law was unjust , would not mind if i say this so long after your death. i have done the best i could with my life. this book is for you. [applause]. >> i am-- i'm reading you that just because it's true. i can't ask anyone else to tell the truth unless i have. okay. >> [inaudible] >> we cannot hear you.
9:49 am
>> i have known gloria for 61 years. i went to ask you whether you have been to london to meet my cousin catherine mayor, the founder of the women's equality party for england? >> do you mean what i? >> have you met her? >> have i met her? no, but i obviously should. >> and just saying hello to you. >> okay, wow, i actually just-- well, not super recently, but recently finished organizing and i had to totally vouch for what you said with bikers-- [inaudible]
9:50 am
cement the bikers during the bike movement barbecue thing that happened in fayetteville, totally were into it. it was really unexpected and great, so actually not just the one time thing about bikers, but half of the things you said i was like oh, my gosh, that is what organizing is. but, my real question is, you hear a lot about war on women, you know, all of the crap going around right now. what is the one thing you are most frustrated about and have a scene from the past with the workforce and what is one of your most proudest achievements? >> that's hard. it's hard to pick one thing. i mean, collectively the thing that is the most crazy making to me is that violence against females in all different forms whether it's honor killings or domestic violence in this country or forced pregnancies
9:51 am
and child, marriage, violence against women in war zones, sexualized-- altogether, it adds up to the fact that for the first time that we know of there are fewer females now on spaceship earth than males and that, whatever form it takes in our lives i think, you know, i think we are all becoming much more aware of that. now, if you asked me what is the thing i'm proudest up, that's hard because i live in the future, so when people ask me that i say i haven't done it yet. [applause]. >> so, i'm the president of my colleges chapter for the association for women--
9:52 am
[inaudible] >> we promote math and we promote women, but we cannot promote one thing without someone saying, g, is there association for women in mathematics, why isn't there an association for men in mathematics. would you respond? >> .-dot association for men in mathematics is called mathematics. [laughter] >> i am so very nervous right now. [laughter] >> don't meet be. we are glad you're here. of been doing advocacy work for several decades now and i think out of all of your accomplishments withstand that most is that you have been able to push through the 60s and i'm wondering pro these
9:53 am
obstacles, where their moments when you are close to quitting, thought about quitting or considered it somehow and what was it? >> close to quitting? every day. >> what kept you going? >> i said to someone just today, that if there is one thing that bothers me and probably motivates me to work is unfairness. i do not like people to be treated unfairly. i really truly believe in equality. i believe in respect for, you know, every human being and i am motivated to fight, you know, some of those evil spirits you see on tv. every day of my life. >> i think, actually, what keeps me going is that the only thing
9:54 am
worse than trying, whether you succeed or not is not trying and then you walk around wondering what if, maybe if i had done this it would've worked and it drives you crazy, so it's better to try. >> my name is leanne. i was nervous i wouldn't have the courage to ask this question. as a jewish feminists who supports the liberation of the palestinian people, i have been really moved that you have spoken out and strong critique of the israeli government and i would love to learn from you a little bit more about how you navigate your role as a jewish woman and a jewish feminist in this time in history when so much of our community is conflicted with the oppression. >> you know, i haven't played a
9:55 am
big role in the long-term difficulties and heartache and oppression and, you know, mostly what i have done is try to come together with women on all three sides and help there to be communication among women and what has always struck me is that the palestinian women and that israeli peace women and american feminists, i mean, we worked out a two state solution dubbed the last contract, the last agreement on water rights, you know, like 25 years ago. and the great sadness is that unlike say like miriam, where
9:56 am
christian and muslim women came together and managed to get rid of a warlord regime and at least have a democratic election, and unlike ireland, where women on both sides came together when governments couldn't, it has in half and. it hasn't happened. it's a huge heartache. [inaudible] >> i was wondering if you could speak a bit about your essay,, lies in advertising and talk bit about what advertising world was like. >> gal, the advertising is really such a huge problem in many ways, but essentially in women's magazines because
9:57 am
women's magazines are regarded in the industry as cash cows. and what that means is that the advertisers have traditionally controlled most of the magazine pages and that's why you see copy that isn't supposed to be the ads that is about the product or the category of products. advertising has a lot of influence everywhere, but it has in my experience most influence in women's magazines and the sum of its, remember when there's action poetry in women's magazine and more articles. the editors of those magazines are striving their best to sneak in some independent editorial, but it's very difficult. i think until we are willing to pay a subscriber and not be dependent totally on advertising income that we are going to have this problem.
9:58 am
the educational service online called ask linda, i guess, ask linda.com. , you can learn anything fried enola, $25 a month. you know, it's eight popular and-- educational institution, no ads at all, it totally subscriber supported and it's been successful for 20 years and linda weinman, who started it who has representatives, employee i mean, you know, everything you could possibly want. she wants to be helpful with the us education problem, so she is -- she sold the business for $2 billion. okay. it's possible that we can support what we want to support and therefore, get what we want instead of being subject to add
9:59 am
that control what we see, control so much of what we see. >> well, let me just take a moment to tell you about a recent announcement and it's a bit strange, playboy just announced there will be no more naked women. gloria, as you know, have brought them to this point because she infiltrated playboy many years ago, but what's interesting is, the daughter of hugh hefner, who we have known for many years who took over some part of the management of the magazine some years ago. i always thought that even though she kind of inherited that, that she wanted to do something better with the magazine and i don't know if years later this is her decision
10:00 am
to try to change the magazine. i don't know if it can be changed, but i thought it was an interesting occurrence that they decided no more naked women. >> you are a positive person, maxine. i hope you are right, but what they said was that they were stopping this because there was so much pornography available everywhere and they were doing it for economic reasons, so someone, you know, it e-mailed me a query about it i said this is like the nra saying we are not selling handguns anymore because assault weapons are so available. i hope she is right. >> thank you for this, this is incredible and i am a bit shocked that i am speaking. so, that's cool. >> just as here, just as chickens. >> so much of what you have been
10:01 am
talking about tonight had me thinking about the importance of knowing our history of feminist and you also brought up the 2008 election, so i will do that. looking back to 2000, i think a lot of people both in hillary's campaign and her supporters had some serious trouble talking about race, especially with barack obama and looking forwarded to 2016, we could have another situation where hillary, not another, but a situation where hillary is in the general election against another history making man of color, so what lessons can we take from what went wrong in 2000 and applied to the possibility of looking forward in this election? >> if we could just never ask, answer a question from a news reporter saying which and more important, or race-- excuse me, most women are affected by both. ..
10:02 am
>> hold enough to love you both. i am very curious about what it takes to be regular. years edward ms. didn't exist in our is ordinary in the 15s and a small town in pennsylvania on our coffee table we had better
10:03 am
homes and guidance. scope from going to the big city, in ohio, my mom and i went to the fashion shows so with tickets she got a subscription, i thought it plausible. i thought everybody had magazines at home, i have grown up with people of different races being ordinary. i was miss until i was out of college but then i became ms.. whatever we can do, leads to the way life is. >> it becomes ordinary because we do it. ms. was an old term but we
10:04 am
didn't know that. we found it in secretarial handbook from the 50s, the disaster of not knowing if someone was married or not. actually it has been an abbreviation, they once called little boys and girls mistress and master. it just means mistress without marital status and tombstones in the united states centuries ago. wasn't new. that is academic because it became ordinary by use. renamed the magazine that, a congressional bill to encourage, required the government, was the same thing. the friend says the same thing, it makes sense and it grows.
10:05 am
>> that is a form of activism. >> it is totally a form of activism. >> you really did reject. did you say get magazine. >> it isn't being published any more. grew up to college and -- >> good. >> in some ways, a couple
10:06 am
questions ago, and the identity as a woman of color. seemingly in conflict, seemingly about feminism and the way it was presented. sexual assault being put forward mostly impacting colleges, issues that need to be solved and comes into conflict with what i see as important for my family to live on reservations, completely unprotected when they are insulted, domestic violence and rape by nonmembers of the tribe so in some ways i see what is being put forward as the basis of conversation, in our
10:07 am
adjustment, it is hard sometimes into the taylor swift -- to understand the experiences of women are very broad. my next question, how did we get people to understand this gap, a different racial and ethnic groups and to put that into action. >> you are standing up and saying it. that is great. you are absolutely -- on colleges and indian country, there's no competition of tears, tears i tears. we just have to keep reminding
10:08 am
each other to be inclusive and it is not easy. the same conversation going on in india, the rate of sexual assault, in new delhi, have to also include the fact that judges actually say untouchable by definition cannot be raped. it is always our task to be as inclusive as we possibly can and to be reminded of being inclusive. do you have something you want to happen? >> i would push the department of justice to prosecute, to actively prosecute sexual
10:09 am
assault on reservations and also secondly what would be important is for it not to simply be about acquaintances of domestic violence against women, a plethora of crimes against women on reservations. and also making sure the keystone pipeline is not built through indian country where it native men are brought to the reservation. [applause] >> we all learn and also the inclusion of women in indian country in the violence against women act was accomplished by one woman in the white house. we all have to do it because it matters. >> thank you for being here.
10:10 am
you talk about feminism -- the identify with feminists? all women -- to not want to identify with that. and humanists and why do you think this is prescribed? where did that come from? >> some people don't say feminist because they don't know what it means, anybody, man or woman, and then they do know what it means and they are against it. problem with the first group is it is perceived being anti mail, cumulus and rush limbaugh saying feminazi every day, it has a
10:11 am
different meaning historically, so maybe people like meryl streep adding to the fact by saying and they are humanists. i find it painful when anybody believes in the content doesn't use the word because i don't think people would say i am not for civil rights. it is painful. >> do you think it should be something else? >> the more we say it the more we put it on shirts what a feminist looks like. quite a distance. back in the day, all kind of names. what i like about the
10:12 am
possibility of revitalizing the discussion, young women like yourself have the opportunity not only to create more discussion, more organizing, more involvement, i am convinced you will be by your actions, saying it. >> i will get right on that. >> we have time -- >> i didn't hear. >> two more questions. two more questions. >> do you have any announcements? any organizing announcements you want to make? >> i have an organizing
10:13 am
announcement. i run a project, my friend michael kimball is on the advisory council and i want to invite folks to get involved. it is a project where men are getting up on public stages on college campuses and communities and sharing personal stories that challenge notions of masculinity through the lens of their life experience. is a feminist project, it is an intersection, it is mandatoryproject.org. i am also nervous. i am curious as to your sense of the role of women in bringing men into feminism and feminist
10:14 am
activism. one of the interesting things is men come to the ministry project and they go back to their dorms and they are raving about it and telling men in their lives and calling their fathers on the way home and taking it upon themselves to spread the word and i find that interesting. i am really curious, your sense of the role of men when and women's roles in getting men into it and the project website, men's project.org. >>we need to empathize and think what would help me understand if i were on the other side, we have to start their and use examples. when i am talking to groups of
10:15 am
men, we all to talk about the restriction of both roles and men are deprived of their kids and developing the circle of humanity, they may be in a prison with wall-to-wall carpeting and people serving coffee, and the ability to develop all of our human qualities is precious to us however we are. actually it lengthens men's lives. we figured out men live four years longer if they are no longer killed by the masculine role, beating and violent deaths. what other movement can offer
10:16 am
you four more years? but i don't think women are responsible for in charge of figuring this out like i don't think african-american people are in charge of trying to make white people shape up, you know? it is the larger human question. i try to start out by saying what i wish someone would say to me and if that doesn't work escalate. but there are groups all over this country of brave men against violence against women
10:17 am
who are insisting on parental leave where they work and jeopardize in their promotion by doing so, saying my kid is in a play and being told they don't have a fire in the belly good enough to advance them. it is present and i think we become reliable allies when we see our interest in the other person too. >> it was a little joke. where are the issues? and so how we relate, without
10:18 am
understanding or thinking about it, if we were in a position of servitude and keep doing things and asking others to depend on us, i started telling my husband about the next appointment, don't ask me where we are supposed to be, think about that yourself. [applause] >> i found it had become a burden. what are we going to eat? i know what i am going to eat. so i started to relieve myself of the responsibility to always think about nurturing and taking care of others. there are different things that
10:19 am
happen. this everyday way of allowing yourself to be dependent in so many ways keeps us from helping men to become less respectful of our independence. [applause] >> we do what we see, not what we are told. the families we grow up in, to our kids see democratic families in which people have as kind of roles, or generally speaking is it ok to imitate the powerful group but not the other way around, so little girls may be being raised more like little boys and little boys are being
10:20 am
raised more like little girls fifth, the same freedom of expression, we can do this. >> fantastic segue into what i was going to ask. when i had a girl -- i knew what i was going to do. how do i raise him in a feminist world to understand all these things, like hillary clinton being president for eight years. and teresa little boy to understand, we saw the other. is that normal? >> i was just thinking, the old languages, the old

540 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on