Skip to main content

tv   Book Discussion on The Art of Being Persuasively Correct  CSPAN  February 14, 2016 4:30pm-5:31pm EST

4:30 pm
come as a surprise to you, but before you arrived here this evening, we conducted a three-question survey of all those that came here tonight. most of the people. the first question we asked, as they came through the door, is whether or not they wanted to hear a long-winded introduction of you by me. one that recounts all the successes you have achieved in life -- >> that would take forever. >> i know. it would also include the previous best sellers you have written, the models you have dated -- who you are wearing and the fact that you are star on "the five" and your show on fox. now, we had 700 people here this evening and only three said they wanted us to do that. so, the second question we asked the audience was whether they wanted to spend an evening politely listening to you drone
4:31 pm
on and on, in a well-crafted speech. they said that sounded nice but, like so many other speeches, they felt the odds were that by the time they got to their car they wouldn't remember a word you said. >> i would! >> 17 people voted for that. well, when we asked the final question, how many in the audience thought i should just take a seat, briefly interview you and then let them ask the questions, well, we have 600 who voted for that. [applause] >> so, the majority rules, but before we begin, and in interest of full disclosure, we found in the same survey that 227 people thought they were here to see dana perino. [laughter] >> what are you going to do? ladies and gentlemen, with no
4:32 pm
further adieu, please welcome to the reagan library, mr. greg gutfeld. [cheers and applause] >> always with a dana perino joke, huh? when you can't think of anything, bring up the dumb dog. lovely dog. lovely dog. not a real dog and we know it. die have to tell you the whole background of the dog, writ came from, who it really is? you know it's brian kimey, right? it is. he has to shave every day before he does "fox and friends." hairy little man. >> before we get into the book your take on what happened in paris.
4:33 pm
>> well, if you watched my show on sunday night, you realized it wasn't on last night. it was pre-empted, and i spent the weekend basically in a ball of fury, as i always am, actually, nothing was any different. and the attack made it worse. i had written some monologue for my show, and the show was pre-empted, and i taped it anyway, but no one has seen it because it wasn't aired, except i think it was on judge janine, but it's -- i don't know if anybody saw it but i thought i would just read you my monologue. [applause] >> it's a 70-page high cue. and i'm could doing it in -- all right. actually, it's fairly serious but that's why i make jokes because it's too serious for me to actually fathom it so that's
4:34 pm
why i make jokes. this paris terror attack reveals a truth maybe have known but western leaders have been refusing to admit. we are at war. instead we watch those elected to protect us, transfixed by identity politics, fears of islamophobia, and mike row photographical upticks in cells sunday. is a said before about terror, it's not a wakeup call if you go back to bed. it's not enough for temporary promises of solidarity or putting john lennon's "imagine" on repeat. it is a war that wants us. we know longer have the choice of talking our way out of it, like a skittish hostage in a bank heist. and so we need four things. first, we need a leader. someone who -- [applause] i'm not used to applause during
4:35 pm
monologues. [laughter] >> the first thing we need is a leader, someone who understands the threat, is happy to state it by name, and is ready to commit to its destruction. this is someone who understands the adult conclusions that steer national security and surveillance, someone who understands that freedom and security coexist. they do not clash. this leader must have no truck with edward snowden unless he is tied up in the back of it. sorry, libertarian friends, this guy is bad. this is a leader who knows that terror change, the increase in mayhem when technology trumps climate change. forget climate change. remember terror change. [applause]
4:36 pm
>> and this infin tile urgent global consensus devoted to warming must instead be focused seriously on terror to track evil we need coordination, communication, borders, sharing of intel, and leadership that inspires the world. the second thing we need is people. we need a country that pulls itself out of its self-obsession, its politics of me. we need a unified citizenry, one that finally realizes the pleasant world that they've grown used to denigrating is about to come to an end. unless they act. three, -- three and i went four. i always have an extra finger with me. you never know.
4:37 pm
three. -- it's like a stunt)#e finger. three. a media, a sober-minoredded industry whose priorities are based on authentic but not symbolic concerns. enough solemn portraits of the whiny co-eds weeping over her words. imagine if -- [applause] -- imagine if during world war ii, instead of covering adolph hitler you focused show e solely on the bangs of veronica lake, that is a reporter amplifying campus cry babies over islamic terror. they are missing the story of their lives. and it will cost them their lives. four, a defense. four. a defense. i'm not talking about national defense. that goes without saying. we should have the strongest,
4:38 pm
greatest, you know it. nor die mean gun ownership which goes without saying. let us not forget that the constitutionally -- arrive there after it's already happened. we need to protect ourselves. the kind of defense -- [applause] -- the kind of defense that i am talking about is a new education, a mentality, in schools, that teaches self-defense needed when terror or mass shootings strike. we must make our soft targets harder, through security barriers and, most of all, mentality. we have to think differently. i say this, with the way, note judge others' responses when it comes to terror. i have no idea how i might act. but regarding my own personal need to change my own behavior, as a citizen, i have to play a role in knowing how to stop something awful.
4:39 pm
the cops can't be everywhere so it's up to all of us to be like the vendor in new york who stopped a car bombing in times square. we all have to be that person. the word would be vigilance, but i came up with a new world which is village-ance, which is veil januaries in your village. but the fact is s.w.a.t. teams and the military burst into buildings, knowing that one of their own might die, and the passengers on flight 93, they did the same thing, and they dade it because they now ultimately that was their only choice they had left, and they did it for the betterment of a country. they saved who knows, thousands of lives. so it's time that we accept that choice as a country, because it is the only choice we have left. that was my monologue. [applause]
4:40 pm
>> so, one question related to the topic. as everyone knows, i'm sure you must know, in the last two days the media has been reporting that one of the terrorist attackers slipped his way in through the refugee flow coming from eastern europe and the mid east, and obama just said yesterday that we should not, quote, somehow start equating the issue of refugees with the issue of terrorism. and i just wanted to get your take on that, given that, according to the president, we should be obligated to take tens of thousands of such refugees. >> it's always that reflex that he relies upon when something like that's happens. however that reflex is missing when it comes to gun crimes. it's when there is an act of gun violence, it's not like he says, whoa, let's not go after all people with guns.
4:41 pm
he does the precise opposite. he becomes thisñi stride end --e doesn't have that strength when it comes to terror control. terror control is more important than gun control, because just control generally targets miami who are law-abiding citizens and we are about targeting violent people who whatnot to end our life. i'm for an open society and a strong border. the metaphor i always use is, when you -- you can't sneak into disneyland. i've tried. i tried. i tried to tell them i'm, like, one of the employees at "it's a small world." but they -- but i'm too short. but you can't sneak into disneyland. there's a gate. there are walls.
4:42 pm
you can't get in. america is the earth's disneyland. everybody wants to come to this magical kingdom, and who can plame them. if i was -- blame them. i'm lucky i was born here. if i was born in pakistan or syria, or, hell, canada -- [laughter] -- and i love canada. i love canada. what i'm saying is i don't blame people for wanting to come here, but that does not make us -- force us to relinquish any responsibility about our security, about looking at the people coming here. you can have both. the greatest people any country come from other places and some of the worst people in the world are born here. let's face it. i would like to trade a few. trying to think offhand how many people we could get for keith
4:43 pm
oberman. or -- anyway -- [applause] my point is, the border for us is just like a fence around disneyland. jut makes perfect sense. people that are climbing the fence to get in, you find them, look at them, figure it out. obviously more difficult than that, but you have a process, and without a process, what you're seeing is what is happening now in europe. you have open borders and they don't know what to do. it's terrifying how many people might be there who wish harm on their country. you have an invading army now, an invading force that has blended into the community. and god forbid you voice any alarm about it. i was watching msnbc, not by choice -- mysterious how at every gym in new york that's the only thing that is on. they led off an hour of news
4:44 pm
with online backlash against migrants. i'm thinkingings i wish that was our problem. wish our problems were online. i wish our violence and our death and the mayhem we incur every day or every month, was online. i mean, how insidious -- my god, they're saying horrible things about you online. because of this terrorist attack. we need to discuss your feelings because they're saying bad things about you. on a message board. i know. we have therapists nearby. that is not a problem. that is not a problem. but we're living in a world where that is almost perceived as an equal problem as the actual physical threats to our lives. on campus they're equated. that words are now seen as violent. we have conflated words with actions. it's crazy.
4:45 pm
i think about -- at the reagan library, i said to my buddy, how would ronald reagan figure this out? like how would he -- he would figure out isis. how would he figure out the native opposition, the opposition here, how could he stomach the idocy from the people that are here, telling us that we must meet hatred with love and that we must worry about -- we must worry about how we articulate our outrage as opposed to responding to evil. i don't know what he would do. it would be just like bill and ted's excellent adventure. when they show up and they're like, george washington is like, what the hell happened? but this is only 30 years ago. how much has changed? a good movie. second one not so good. >> having read your book -- >> thank you for that. >> no problem.
4:46 pm
>> by the way, one important thing about the book, there is absolutely no cloth or paper cover so that means if you take it on the airplane, people see what you're reading. you can't take it off. and hide it. i know what you do. go ahead, sorry. >> you comp right out in the book and say, look, this book is all about making you better at saying what you think, and so as i read it, it was like a self-help manual. >> yes. >> i just wondered if -- is conservatives are too tongue tied and can't get their arguments across? >> i have no idea what you're talking about. >> yes, you do. >> yes. there's so many ways -- first of all it is a service book. i come from a background of service itch work at men's health, and in the '90s, during that horrible time when all you read about were abs-that was me. three steps to flatter abs.
4:47 pm
you're welcome. all those headlines was made by four guys in a room who wanted to kill themselves. for five years. so it is a self-help book. based on a couple of premises. under number one ex-when i do book signings people ask me how die my mon legs and the goal of my monologues 0 on "the five." and they like them because i take an idea that ticks me off are might be complicated and try to boil it down into 80 seconds. so one persuasive point -- i gave you a rhetorical weapon in case this comes up. so every day -- can't just be something that it find funny or upsetting. in that monologue i have to have something in there that you can use that is serviceable so when it comes up in a conversation, it's there. could be a statistic, could be a moral reason for the belief that it has to be -- if i'm not
4:48 pm
giving you've that thing, then i failed. and people ask me how die that. and i thought it would be a great book idea to explain how you're able to persuasively be correct rather than just be correct. because the thing that drives me nuts is i have plenty of friends in which i agree with -- we a grow on everything but the way they are -- late it makes me not want to agree. they take a fairly cogent point and again angry or emotional or don't attach facts or reason to it, and they ruin it. this happens loot with immigration. immigration is a winnable issue for us, not when it's married to nativism. so my goal is to stripaway shrill, anger and emotion from our arguments. i would be a hypocrite if i were angry and emotional because that the thing i always make fun of liberals about. conservatives aren't supposed to be angry or shrill.
4:49 pm
they're supposed to be sharp and prepared and funny, and i think that we need more humor, and that's why the -- why i wrote the book. the other reason why i wrote the book -- i say it in the first chapter. the left is really good at selling deadly ideas, and the right is really bad at selling great ideas. and i don't know if it's the right's fault. i think the ideas are so great that they work, and when a great idea works, you forget about it. so we take it for granted. whether it is law and order, police -- like, we -- let's face it. the reason why there's this reaction against police isn't over simply police brutality. it's because we have become used to this amazing dramatic advance in crime rusk for the last 0 years we have seen a reduction from violent. crime like we've never seen. only when you have these long periods of success that you are able to rip apart the things
4:50 pm
that bring you success. and that is why conservatives have a hard time. what makes -- what frees countries, free markets, capitalism, individual opportunity. we have no need to explain it because we think it's natural and because it's working. meanwhile, we have a socialist running for president. how can that be? after a century of socialist hell, or present day venezuela, where toilet paper costs as much as a suit, made of toilet paper. ask me how i know later. anyway, my point is this. only in contemporary society can socialism be reminnesota sized and capitalism be demonized when capammism has freed billion. s of people and socialism has imprisoned so many. [applause]
4:51 pm
>> one theme in your chapters is conservatives don't do their homework. there's an obligation to do homework. what do you mean by that? >> it's not they don't do their homework. they have do more homework. global warming is a good example because if you are skeptical about what you have been told -- my skepticism of global warming isn't about science because i read this stuff and i behoove you to find the experts and read this stuff so when you're faced with that kind of conflict, that argument that you have the data that suggests a pause or the slight increases are -- could be a rounding error or a tiny incremental -- a percentage -- could just be a percent of error you get in science, with all studies. it is important that you have the data so that you can argue and you don't have to argue with emotion. you can argue with a smile, with
4:52 pm
data points and stats and it's actually a lot of fun to have that with you. so i think it's very important. i don't think we're less prepared, it's just that we have to be more prepared because the left doesn't have to be prepared. the left argues from the arena of compassion, that they care more than you do. and you have to have the facts that show that their beliefs are actually more harmful than yours, that you can show that their belief in a welfare system is actually more dangerous and you can show that over the last four or five decades we have seen cities falling apart, that the cities that are in the biggest trouble are run by liberal mayors. you can show that liberal policies are painful to people. you have that as your fact base and you can't lose. >> you wrote, a really neat twist, a quote you directly: when a liberal asks you why are
4:53 pm
you a conservative, simply state so you can be a liberal. what did you mean by that? >> that's like a -- that's the end of a chapter where i was trying to show people how to explain why they're conservative, because they're always going to have a friend issue especially college, who says how can you be a conservative can those republicans are like stodgy, they ware ties and own to 40 pairs of khakis and they eat babies. half of that is true. in -- the point is in order for a liberal to get what he wants a conservative halves to build something, and i use the example of minimum wage. it's like you have these people demanding -- i want $15 minimum wage. they weren't there when you were starting your business. you need a conservative to decide to start a small business, to hire people, to sleep on the floor, while he's trying -- not even make a
4:54 pm
profit. just trying to break even. he's not even taking a salary. he is putting -- hiring people to work in this little restaurant, finally this restaurant is kind of thriving, and he might make a profit, and then this person shows up and says, we demand an increase in minimum wage, and he's like, wait. where were you? i've been doing this for -- i took ten years -- these people are happy. if they don't want to work there, they don't have. to no, we demand it. that equation can't happen in reverse. the person has to build the business, work his ass off, hire the people in order for the liberal to come in and demand their cut. i say the left is basically the mafia in priuses. [applause] >> liberalism is the barnacle on the conservative boat.
4:55 pm
all of the principles that you have, from the moment you wake up in the morning, to the -- to going to bed are absolute. they're objective. they're not relative. when you're trying to make -- trying to too your job, there are standards that you follow. there's no namby-pamby liberalism and how you feel when you're trying to build a car or write a song. a song has a melody and notes. when you're a chef, you have a recipe. and if the recipe isn't followed, the food is terrible. you have to make it -- everybody has to make it right. those are conservative principles which are completely sacrificed when that person who is a chef or a musician, steps out of his profession and starts thinking about politics. he just divorces himself from it. he has no idea that none of those -- none of these liberal police officers would exist itself wasn't for the conservatism that you put inside your daily life every day to
4:56 pm
make things work. you know the best way to get to work every morning. a liberal is like, well, who is to say that's the best way? i mean, it's like you could go -- i mean, like, that's kind of really rude. what about the other ways? like when you say you're going to take that way, the other way is -- like, that's like totally violating my safe space. when you say, okay, takes you 11 minutes to get to work this way, and it takes 45 minutes, and you're saying, that is better? just because it's shorter? i mean, where -- i don't understand that. i mean -- so, it takes three times as long to get to work and you're going to be late, but why is that worse? that how -- that's what happens if you apply liberal thinking to actual life. that's how life would be. you would never be able to make
4:57 pm
judgments. imagine baking a cake from a liberal -- why that -- why captain put more sugar in that? well, it's going to -- >> i want to cook it for ten minutes. let's see what happens. i don't even know what that voice is. >> it's a good one. >> i think i channeled -- i don't know who i channeled. reagan from exorcist. the other reagan. >> when i read this in the book i thought, that's it. i figured out what makes you as interesting and didn't on "the five" more than anything else. you've said my simple perhaps sole tactic has always been to extend liberal beliefs to absurd levels. i push the obvious until the argument can only tip in my favor. explain that. >> yeah. it's funny because i answered --
4:58 pm
that was -- i just did that with the -- i'm trying to think of -- gees, a really good one in the book that i used. which chapter are you? well, for example, animal rights. one of the first article is ever wrote was for the san francisco chronicle in 1989. i went to an animal rights concert, i guess the b-52s or something in d.c. and i start thinking about living beings and started thinking i put a whole thing -- if things are alie live you shouldn't clap at all because there are things floating, and i came up with new rules to dictate not killing anything that is alive around you. also i found this interesting study that said that certain produce gives off an unusual stench as it's being cooked, and i think that's a lot like
4:59 pm
people. when you're scared or in fear, what do you do? let be honest. so broccoli is craping in its pants knowing you're going to congress it. it is inhuman you would eat broccoli rather than a chicken. why, because a chicken can move and broccoli can't? i think that's moveus. do you think if broccoli had feet, it would try to get away? of course it would. of course. but it can't run because it doesn't have any feet. so, you are a killer of broccoli. the point is, we're high on the food chain. this is what people high -- by the way this is not say you should be cruel to animals. i go back and forth about meat. while eating it. but when people talk about inhumanity -- being inhumane, they are eating living things. so you take the animal rights to
5:00 pm
its furthest territory, which would be vegetable rights. it's going to happen. and i mean -- like i think i -- even with identities, the fact that now we can self-identify, we had a white female aclu-tivist claim she was black. we had a white male activist claim that he was black, i think in "black lives matter --" i can't remember. and so why -- what stops us? i want to -- why can't i be -- i don't know -- an aboriginal unicorn. what is keeping me from self-identifying? because right now your feelings trump back in the world of identity. no one can tell you what you can't be. and i mean so why not just take that and we all self-identify as
5:01 pm
whatever we want. in the end what that will do is completely deflate the movement and turn spite the joke that it is. and i am a unicorn. >> let's go to the audience. if you have a question and if you could raise your hand, but don't ask the question until we have a microphone in front of you. >> some things are offlimit is. nothing about dogs -- well, nothing about a dog. >> okay. >> by the way i had a dog named jasper so she totally ripped me off. >> right over here. >> does this work? okay. good evening, mr. gutfeld. >> good evening. >> good evening, sir. >> strange seeing you here again. it's been many years. >> it's only -- >> i thought you said used never come here. >> only been since march 2013.
5:02 pm
>> well, close enough. give us your question and be gone. >> i'll do that. i am katherine mitchell family owns a bed and breakfast, and being from california, going to santa monica college, i'm surround by a lot of people that are very ignorant of the world's problems, and then at the end itself we find a lot of guests that they don't want to believe that politics can be any good, that they say they won't vote or politicians are liars. and my question is, it seems that a lot of people in america -- like this fad that has come over 0 them to where they're ignorant of the world's problems and don't want to admit there's evil, and then all the young people are frustrated by things that don't matter. so my question is do you think it will pass or the beginning of a bigger problem? >> hmm. i think it might have always been like this but we don't know because we're living in this now. yesterday, trending on twitter, was mtv stars.
5:03 pm
i don't know what it is. but that was a day after the paris attacks. it was the number one trending thing. and today when i was looking on twitter, every single trending item, which reflects what people -- twitter is a bathroom wall for the vacuous, which is why i enjoy it. but it is. i like to go on there just to yell and scream at the world. but every single item there was not about paris. and i think politics doesn't become part of your life until it actually affects your life. it's like nobody understands taxes until they see it taken out of their check. and then suddenly they're a republican. it's so funny. it's why you become a republican later in life, because -- drives me crazy. i'm going to go off on a tangent here. somebody accused -- somebody on
5:04 pm
"the five" in the left seat -- they all blend -- geraldo beckle. they said something like, oh, agreeing, we're talking about taxes and economic inequality and they said, oh, but, greg, you're loaded. and i go, what? wait a minute. i'm 51 years old. so i'm thinking about this. about, like, this is the fallacy that people have on the left, that people who are conservatives, republicans, just somehow block them into money. they're just rich. we're just rich. we didn't spend 30 years climbing a ladder and doing really dirty work to get where we were. when i was in my early 20s, i can remember my salary at american spectator, was $12,000 a year. that was like -- a take home of 700 bucks a month. at prevention it was 22-5.
5:05 pm
then at men's health it was in the 30s. wasn't until 2000 that i started making some actual money, and the government didn't care about me until i started making real money. i didn't exist. and now i'm hated. it's as though when you're wealthy -- unless you're born into it, most people who make money, made it after years and years of hard work.xd [applause] >> and you have a right to complain about it. you have a right to complain about it because you have the history behind you that got you there. it's like when people say, shut up, there are people out there that are struggling and you say, yeah, that was mitchell was struggling. we were all struggling once, and i'm trying to tell you, i'm an example of how to get out of that. did i answer that question? perhaps. >> a good answer. >> thank you.
5:06 pm
>> over here. >> hi, mr. gutfeld. love you on "the five." >> hello. thank you very much. >> i have a question. my son actually goes to uc merced they had a stabbing there not too long ago. the stabber was shot and killed on campus. and, yes, of course, he used a knife so it wasn't too much of a -- not a lot of people heard about it because it wasn't a gun. >> right. >> but my question is, they jump on the gun band wagon whenever something like this happens. when are people going to start talking about mental illness and what you think about the mental ill unless problem in our country and why it's not being taken karen of properly. >> there's a lot of ways you can go with that. there's different kinds kinds of mental illness and i'm not sure if it's mental illness that is leading to she shootings -- if you look at statistics, these shootings aren't on a rise.
5:07 pm
i always cite john lott, jr. as a person to look at these. it could be because dish have friendses believe it has to do with overmedication. i don't know about that. but i look at this statistic and i wonder if it's just because we -- here's my feeling on this. we are creating copycat crimes through media attention of things. when the police -- let's say there's other teen suicide. the police usually urges the press not to cover it because it creates a copycat effect. auto erotica asphyxiation, a perverse act, they don't tack but it because they don't want people to do it. thing thursday you don't cover because you might fear it could be replicated. it's something we suspend when
5:08 pm
it comes to the shootings. when you look at these spree killers, you find their obsession with previous spree killers. that always find they have a scrapbook, they're obsessed with the gave that got the most victims. this is a regular thing. and always on "the five" when i talk about this, i say the media is complicit in this business because we immediately stop everything and we focus all of our attention on that, and that is the reward. that is the reward to the person seeking attention in his lonely alienated horrible life. this is what a loser does. a loser says, my god, i can get a attention by taking out all these people. and that's what he does. and we still give. the the attention. so i feel that it's a combination of factors. having said that, i don't think we do enough for people who are mentally ill. i think we have let people out of institutions and not -- and by virtue of rights, that it is
5:09 pm
not incumbent on us to help them because it is their right to roam the streets streets and be. as somebody who lives in new york and sees it it's a horrible thing with need to help these people and putting enemy print isn't the right way to do it. -- putting them in prison is not the right way to do it. >> i grew up in san mateo. >> what street. >> lived near aragon high school. >> they played a lot of stalk are there. had good tennis courts, too i remember. thank you for your question. >> i don't think stocker -- you're welcome. >> i never really liked air gone. -- carr gone. didn't carlos sana'a na go there. >> no. >> neil shon from journey went there. carlos santana went there.
5:10 pm
>> that was before my time. >> well, your time us up, sir. so aragon is responsible for journaley. >> and i also went to berkeley. >> ooh. >> my question is -- >> when did you graduate? >> 1974. >> oh, well, all right. you weren't there when i was there. >> how did you grow up in a place like that, go to college like that and be in an environment where all of the thought was left-wing thought and get to your current level of wisdom? >> copious amount of pharmaceuticals. actually, it's easy to be a liberal when you're young because it's just like being in high school. all the romantic notions are not based on fact. they're in this kind of cloud of
5:11 pm
emotions so it's very ease you to be a liberal when you're in high school, and i kind of was. i was probably a liberal loud mouth even at that because i was just as obnoxious as i am now, but i was a liberal. and i also -- you didn't have to think that much before the it. i worked for the nuclear freeze. i talked about this before. briefly, in order to get extra credit for a class at high school. that meant getting signature ford the nuclear freeze, which was to ban the transport of nuclear weapons in california. this is like in late '70s or early '8s so. i didn't really care. i did it because i want to -- they can move a b to a b-plus, a half a grade, if on a sunday you stood out in front of a church and took signatures. and i did that. but i didn't think about it -- it was also easy -- it's easy to be a liberal when you're young because all you have to say war is bad and love is good and why
5:12 pm
cant we live in peace? because as a young person you never have to conne interesting about when you're young you have no idea there's
5:13 pm
another side. we never talked about politics in my home. we had abc, cbs, nbc, and this thing called pbs, which i watched -- there were other things on there that were kind of strange. you didn't have any idea that there was other things out there. i didn't know there was a thing called conservatism. i just knew that there was this mainstream liberal thought and i didn't call it liberal. just the way things were. until i -- a friend of mine, patrick fleisher gave me -- he was subskrine together american spectator, an oversized magazine, and national review and there's a section in national review in the middle, called "this week" and there is the back called" current wisdom "and they were both little chunky things of humor and current wisdom was stuff pulled out of liberal playing they put a funny headline on, and this week was just ripped on ridiculous stuff. and iñr started reading this and go, my god, this is weird.
5:14 pm
they're making fun of stuff that nobody is making fun of and it's okay to make fun of it. it blew my mind so quickly that i applied two years later at the njc, national journalism center to be an intern at the american spectator in arlington, virginia. and it just -- it was somebody opened a window in your brain and said, get out of where you are. come with us. they're crazy. all it took, though, was another side. somebody to show me that there was something else out there you just need that one person who can do that, and do it in a good way -- in a friendly way, not a pushy way. that is what my buddy did. it was such a funny looking magazine. it was an oversized tab tabloidy looking things with illustrations and had write
5:15 pm
writers like p.j. o'rourke and tom wolfe and it was an influence. >> hi, greg, this is elizabeth brown. we used two, together at intel. >> oh, my gosh. still working out, i see? >> yes. i used to make 23,000 back then. >> i remember. >> i was making more than you. >> i remember you at the energy center. you were teach eight robe picks. >> no,ing taught class -- >> that's righter, gow me my kitchen vixen name which i still use. >> kitchen vixen in. >> yes. >> streak -- strange videos. >> we did an interview together for men tele. you said you should be something sexy like the kitchen vixen. >> that's the kind of wisdom you get from me. you're hot, bev the kitchen vixen. >> itself was good interview, good article, though. i lost track of you after that. you went to mix jim and then ended up on fox news.
5:16 pm
how did you make the transition to those different venues in. >> it's interesting because most of the stuff any career i didn't plan on. it's a good piece of advice if you work hard, sooner or late are you'll end up where you're supposed to be. what i do on fox news is no different than what i did innedder toal meet little at meantle and we would talk about the issues of the day we would put in the magazines and i would crack jokes. that is mapped on the thing is did in high school in the back of homeroom where i would make jokes and be stupid. who knew i created a profession outer out of being a wise-ass. i don't -- this transition was more like i guess kind of like the world kind of found out where i was, as i kept moving. i mean, if you think about how it happened, it's very strange. i was at maxime in lyndon -- the reason why fox found me is
5:17 pm
because of me agreeing to do the "huffington post" because matt la bash, who was a writer, couldn't do it and he hooked me up with arianna and i got to know andrew breitbart. he launched the "huffington post" and that's how we became really close. and then he told people about me, and then i met a guy in a bar -- sounds weird -- from fox. i had to end that sentence. i net a guy at back are from fox to talk about a show. and that's how it happened. things where you fall forward into these things, and that's how i ended up at "red eye" and then "the five. "it wasn't an active career pursuit. just something that naturally happens if you keep saying yes to work. >> yes. [applause]
5:18 pm
>> in fact you cover exactly that in your book. >> it's true. there's an entire chapter on my resume, which i will read right now -- no. but it's a lot of people like me -- when i was young i didn't know what i was doing or how to get to where i was going. s was miserable. so i tried to figure out by tracing my steps how it's possible to get from a to z. everybody wants to get from a to z. they don't want to make the steps i'm talking when you're young in your 20s, you want the thing right then but don't know how to get there and you don't realize there are all these steps in between that you should be doing and be happier doing and take a breath and not think that it's a race. i thought it was a race. i was constantly thinking it was a race until i got to be -- got happy and figured out what it was, which is you just work.
5:19 pm
>> mr. wife and i discovered you late night at 2:00 a.m. -- >> if thought you were going to say in a certain parking lot. discovered you at 2:00 a.m. late at night in a parking lot of. you weren't wearing any clothes. >> one of your freak guests back then was andrew breitbart, and i noticed that the two of you had a lot in common. not only were you able to dismantle the fallacy of progressivism, and do it with a sense of humor, you also had pretty good taste in music. you boast start off as liberals and i -- did that have something to do with it? were you pretty happy that you came from that background and got the cultural side of that? and if so, i'm also curious in your opinion, what were your -- what are your three most underrated bands of the 19 198s so. i you can't say the cramps.
5:20 pm
>> you take away -- >> i'll give you a second to think about. i also, can you tell us a bit more about andrew on the personal side? we miss him a ton. [applause] >> when you talk about -- when you answer that question you have to be -- inevitably creates some criticism that is necessary about conservatives in general, that we have to admit and that is we are conservative and we are repulsed crass pop culture, even though when crass culture there's some awesome stuff, and we have to stop rejecting that sort of thing because it's actually good. andrew and i were both into subversive music and we loved the same tv shows and you had
5:21 pm
run into conservatives -- i where i worked that aren't familiar with the music i listen to or movies i see. and it's not their fault. it's just that there's a natural inclination to resist things that are risky, and i talk about it in my book, that the left tends to be -- take more risks in all areas, whether it is pop culture, sex, drugs, you name it, except for business, they don't take risks with business. that's on the right. but the right is more conservative so they're more interested in more traditional types of music and traditional forms of entertainment, and i believe that has to change. that andrew always said that politics is downstream from pop culture -- from culture, and he is right. if you see the way the world works, if you can master the culture, you can master politics, and i think that's why president obama has been so successful among young people. he speaks their language.
5:22 pm
oddly, i think trump has that in a way as well. his prose are also his cons. he has very strong pros and they're also his really bad cons. and i talk about this a lot but the one thing he has, he has a a cocoon around him from pop culture. he is an entertainer. so he can get away saying things that other politicians can't say. he said can i'm an entertainer, save things and people go, yeah, it's trump. maybe that's not so bad. maybe it doesn't hurt to have a politician who is immune to the same enhyper sensitives used against all our politicians for so long. he has kind of the obama immunity. obama had the immunity for being an historical first. if you went after him over issues or -- you were branded a big got and he has this cocoon
5:23 pm
that helped him into to the white house. hi funny. he master the world of pop culture. trump kind of does that now. to your point, itself is important that as breitbart and i balked about endlessly, we have to invade pop culture. we have to be the -- we have to join bands if you're young. you have to write for magazines. you have to get involved. you can't separate yourself. you have to go in there into people know you. as for three underrated 80s bands, gee whiz. i like gang of four, even though they're communists. but i listen to them a lot. i hate my answer. wire, love wire. another british band. let's pick -- i would say x, from l.a. last year, billy zoom was here
5:24 pm
at the reagan library, if you're a fan of x, the band. >> great. up here in the balcony. that's one of those. >> hi i'm nicholas and i'm in sixth grade. my question is -- >> how tall am i? nicholas, you're already taller. i get it. >> my friends like bernie sanders but i want them to like ben carson. what do i do? >> do the dessert evidence island can he i do. imagine you're on a plane and you're either on a plane with bernie or ben and the plane goes down -- you're the only survivors you're on this
5:25 pm
desert -- deserted island or desert -- deserted island. i go back and forth on this. it's deserted island. not a desert island. some islands don't have desert sod hat has to be a deserted island. anyway, deserted island, ben carson, bernie sanders. deserted island bernie sanders. whatever we find we'll split equally. we got listen to each other. with got to do -- do you've have any skills? no. [laughter] >> you're on a deserted island with ben carson, might have extremely conservative views about gays and very, very religious views you might find different but he can operate on you if you fall on a sharp object. [applause] >> who do you want on a deserted
5:26 pm
island in somebody who knows how to do something and has spent decades figuring out how to do something that is life-saving or somebody who has been running for office since 1972? that's a good -- actually that deserted island metaphor, you could probably use with any right or left. i think. except for howard dean because he is a doctor. >> last question -- >> i shouldn't have allowed that. >> time for one last question. >> first of all, want to thank you for being here at the reagan library. >> thank you. for having me. [applause] >> also, reagan being what i feel was one of the greatest presidents in modern history, my question to you is, can you tell me with any specific person
5:27 pm
running for republican candidate, or the top few who you think would be the best, and also, -- excuse me my french -- beat the liar that is running on the other side. >> how dare you call martin o'malley a liar. [laughter] >> this is a very weird time. let's face it. you're watching governors who in their titles say, govern, and they're not winning. it's amazing. that's the definition of your occupation, is to govern. if you look at florida, if you look at texas, these are bigger than most countries, and we are not impressed anymore by this. i'm not sure that's healthy. i think that we owe governors a chance to explain. their successes and i may not answer your question, but i will
5:28 pm
say this. i am sick and tired of the "i'm more conservative than you are" mentality. driving me crazy. the name-calling -- this seems to me relatively new. i don't remember this under reagan. you had -- sure you had annoying liberal republican liked bob packwood, you had specter. arlen specter. you had lib run -- liberal republicans but we got. not everybody in your party race liberal republican because they disagree with you on ten percent of the issues. reagan said, like, if we disagree, 25% of the time, you're 75% of the time with me. that's how it should be and i think it's really dangerous that we are in this weird competition amongst ourselves to prove who is more right than -- it is
5:29 pm
weird, calling people a rino serves no purpose. tepid applause. there's everybody going, damn rino. typical rino. probably voting for jeb. ...
5:30 pm
immigration [laughter] but he speaks to you. i think that radio is the most articulate -- marco rubio is the most articulate but he keeps getting younger. [laughter] i said before is like the guy in front of you at the rental car center bad that it's not a convertible sebring and he just flew in that he is demanding his convertible sebring. he had that look like kant you just take the hard top, we all want to

72 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on