Skip to main content

tv   Open Phones with Theresa Duncan  CSPAN  April 2, 2016 4:29pm-5:01pm EDT

4:29 pm
another portion of mohamedou but to what sounds so t powerful would he know and what he said -- said end what he did.d, t he says crisis always brings the best and the worst doesn't really do torture detainees are is a part of a conspiracy i have tried not
4:30 pm
tole exaggerate it tried to be as fair asex possible to my brothers and myself.n i expect them to give me the benefit of the doubt.a >> keyrt rights leader since this is the closing part what did the american people think? i am eager to know i would like to think a majority want to see justice done. panera is a small extremist minority thatrve. believes everyone in this present isan evil in treated better than we deserve but this has no basis with the incriminatingote opinion that they do notam even know. i
4:31 pm
and i just wanted to read b this quotation in a recent i conversation he said he holds no grudge against anyone he mentions he appeals them to read it and corrected if it contains errors and one day can readp it around as a cup of tea. >> with those few seconds remaining a round of applause. [applause] [inaudible conversations]
4:32 pm
>> now to reset it is with us. what was is mohamedou ould slahi lifelike before 2002?y >> living in mauritania africa working as an engineer and to install internet in, activity with that presidential palace to talk about with internet access ended march i met with a doctor who told me the night before he was arrested that mohamedou was volunteering to establishworl internet w service at a local hospitalri toed communicate with doctors for better care for patients.as newly married and living with the family.
4:33 pm
>> working a martini habit his nationality is mauritania. >> host: but the day he turned himself in? >> yes. 2 november 2012 officials came toest: his house, and saree 20th -- 2,002. correct. and drove himself to the police station and that began the 15 year odyssey to guantanamo. >> there is a reason is there not a reasonable answer to the i question? so as peopledi committed w crimes we argue they should federal courtim
4:34 pm
and he has not been charged and found his detention is a model has not been found. t >> host: how you get paid? >> none of the lawyers are paid and we do this for free.> ho but are there other cases such gu as this? >> i do have other cases with myi co-counsel and i have worked on behalf of the holy land foundation. so one of the men charged in the oklahoma city bombing as
4:35 pm
well and with a deck put -- with the death penalty i wasor fortunate to have a law professor in she asked me to join her and i am from albuquerque mexico and from the university of new mexico law school. >> are you can -- surprised current line of work? in the air went to of school to become a prosecutor. i did a lot of nonprofit and work with the rape crisis aga center with the engagement issues with domestic
4:36 pm
violence. and then she took me under hercti wing and i saw thechar compassion she had for thees victims' also for those who wereey charged to understand their lives and the worst moment of their life is so i fascinating and i am always professional and the relationship he has with the people who guards him he is very respectful of him. and to understand the power t not getting into it but respecting and.
4:37 pm
>> theresa duncan just spent one h hour talking about mohamedou ould slahi your turn to talk with her. >>. >> it is amazing you represented terry nichols. but under the bush administration with the justice system in the united states so we have people who are warehouse in prison that don't belong there. with local prosecutors but
4:38 pm
they really don't care but with this atrocity. but they just herded up a bunch of people then labeledens. them to stick them in prison. wha i know a dog that lives better. thank you for whatever you're doing up there keep work. good >> guest: thank-you. >> host: what about guantanamo? >> no longer are those the conditions and. they have been preserved under a court order but now it is more like what you would find in the unitedst states. >> at me this point there are
4:39 pm
91 all men it is only ever been men. seven have been chargedbe awaiting trial three have been convicted of believe 36 have been cleared for release but have not yet been and 40 something are in in indefinite detention. >> host: wasest: the reason real -- the reason they talk to him. >> whole thing is that the request of the u.s. government. >> there had to be some to reason.d e >> was post 9/11 there was an afg effort to round everyone up in afghanistan and w mohamedou got caught up in m that. >> was inactiveania best? >> not at that time living in mauritania building a
4:40 pm
regular life. >> did he have a connection in any way for those involved with 9/11?ade finicky has a cousin they were in a relationship but not working together nothing to do with al qaeda or 9/11. >> author of "guantanamo diary" next from inf massachusetts. >> caller: hello. very nice to talk to you. do you have any concerns or information about the rate among the the guantanamo inmates? i will take the answer offline.
4:41 pm
>> guest: i cannot really speak to the recidivism rate each case is very different.utin i know he will go back to go living with his family and contributing with his community.oing >> go ahead with your question. >> first of all, thank you for the work you're doing because guantanamo is such a blight upon us what will be helpful for the presidential candidates to do or say in order to bring this to an end? >> that is a really great question.lp and abroad since to change
4:42 pm
the tone of the dialogue ofn us versus them treating an entire group of people as an t enemy and understanding theeed complexities of different situations. o what we need is a return to the rule of law either we try people and continue to clo detain them or release them. >> president obama was going to close guantanamo. >> but he hasn't. >> domain to repeat this but there m has to be a reason? >> i think it is just a burn from the u.s. military don't know why because sticking your feet in the mud with their refusal to give up on
4:43 pm
that idea. >> the guantanamo bay prisoners how they treated differently legally than prisoners in the united states? not >> in the u.s. courts nobody couldld h beat detained without going to trial. the people in the united states have more habeas corpus so we just filed a pleading in districte court because of personalhal materials and to use thet court system to challenge the court held it did that have jurisdiction to do anything>> g about that. >> would is habeas corpus? th
4:44 pm
>> the legal proceeding by f which toac being in that brought - - the body of the prisoner to be a fact of their confinement.oham >> there were some materials taken? what kind? >> mohamedou was moved someanta of his legal materials were taken under a new policyna about how much material a prisoner could have been there sell at any one time aoom person materials were taken and not returned. >> host: you dealing with a specific court or how does thath work? >> with the district court of district of columbia.rder we started with the judge robertson because he retiredsed, shortly thereafter.
4:45 pm
>> that he was orderedhat released? >> so there were a couple ofy s decisions after the judge robertson ruling to send thend w case back to judge robertsonr and that is where it has stopped.t: w >> why is the court of appeals handling this? because those d.c. courts have restrictions and that is where the department of defense is.io craft. >> host: next call from new york.nfter good afternoon. >> caller: good afternoon.
4:46 pm
thank you very much i am always wondering about why as americans we become more and more bloodthirsty and with rolled or one hand world war ii. with the second world ward. with the defense monitor with 1 million human beings so my question to you is if
4:47 pm
we put americans in theseve situations but i am from pakistan. so when a the bloodshed will end with the american elite. >> guest: i do hope the bloodshed will end as soon as possible. what you sad that we're all of human beings is the
4:48 pm
critical point as the acts of violence go down to treat people different it makes com violence so much easier if you're american a mauritanian orual wherever the rights of the individual. >> host: how major arabic? >> i do not share hisow i affinity of language i have a no arabic.ngua >> how is his english?me the neck is perfect tsa to great way with language.peak >> is that because of guantanamo? >> key could speak a littleanua before he was working on computers said he hadent learned a little before but he is perceptive and also
4:49 pm
has learned spanish. >> we can call late you have to show extraordinary folkca --us circumstances for a phone call so we set up a phone call because it would take me too long to get down there also when his mother died for that is difficult get a phone call.he >>y what is the process to get down there? >> if you have to requestay and then they says yes it has gotten faster. youha have to give at least 20 days' notice the turnaroundghts has been a couple of days then schedule your flights. >> host: those are military flights? >> that is a charter flight data for lauderdale
4:50 pm
sometimes you can fly with them militaryou commission.go >> host: y 20 days've notice ? >> i think it is thedu government and the paperwork and bureaucracy. >> host: york city gore has. >> caller: an excellent program. let me say i want to say did go to the first caller. immelt we should have been doing we should have beently looking at the population ofki black and brown peoplelyto mostly and luckily bernie
4:51 pm
sanders is bringing that out keep up the good work i want to say love and peace and continued resilience but my main question is to parts.pu and as the point of clarity and thinking at some point with her own book fair in times of her experience buters mainly i want to know if she follows the book where did the towers go?
4:52 pm
who points out to was that that the world trade towers did not collapse they c literally disintegrated. >> host: we got your point.itin publisher? had you thought about writing your own book and your 9/11 conspiracies? [laughter] >> no i have not thought of writing my own book. i couldn't write to anything as i eloquently as he does.s and it would palin comparison and number three. no. >> who gets the proceeds?
4:53 pm
>> we have established a trust we hope it will helphat to help him establish his life he wants to help hisces nephew go to college but the main purpose is to have resources to reintegrate into society. >> host: the next call from washington d.c. go ahead. >> caller: i think we lost him. t let's try a montana. thank you for taking my call ityes. is nice to talk to you.
4:54 pm
i am a vietnam vet andal served in combat. >> guest: thank you for your service. >> caller: you're welcome didn't they wonder where the prisoners of war be kept well even waiting for there and the day in court? i will take that off line. >> if they are tried against a crime of united states government and if they are convicted and imprisoned in the american prison with the government of the afghanistan issue retried in that court and imprison there. >>sues host: are any folks associated with potentialt's
4:55 pm
9/11 issues held in the tha united states? it is of good question i don't know the answer. >> host: all arabs speaking. b >> cry a believe so one britishsh detainee was l returned home earlier i dunno if it is just arabic. >> florida please go ahead. >> thank you for the call.they the attorneys representing these eat fellows so now they d have to fly back and forth in the and sleep while they are there. how much are they gettingen
4:56 pm
and where does that comeguan from? i will take the answer offline. >> host: before you do you said you had been in guantanamo? we will never know.er [laughter] you say you are not paid as his lawyer what about other people? means? have thehe >> i cannot speak to everyone but thee majoritypoc who have represented have done so for free and pay for travel out of their own pockets.con k there are two nonprofithich groups one is the aclu there is no pot of money to draw many of our expenses my law partner has paid all expenses since the beginning
4:57 pm
>> they practice different things. one of the leaders with civil-rights and personal injury with the international criminal defense on lawyer senate, he spent on this case? >> when we were mitigatingi that petition and that was pretty much my life but now i would say maybe nowjune because we have a hearing set up in june i will be tirelessly and tell them is the periodic review board to determine if mohamedou is the current a threat to the national security of thr the united states.
4:58 pm
>> who will hear that? >> 83 member panel will decide it will be set up by a one place and he testifies and i could make a statement with day personal representative. >> military people i don't know who they are. >>. >> my question is i haveas friends who have served in the water on terror. how well do set up a system that is the individual was captured is worthy of prosecution or should bes released? the
4:59 pm
>> glading ultimately to ai mass whateveron evidence against a person and if they should beu.s. convicted of a crime so do we want to prosecute?nt is the answer is no then you need to release them.co they need to bring them to court. >> the council for mohamedou ould slahi author of "guantanamo diary" thanks for your time. . .
5:00 pm
one williams and "washington post" columnist. for more information click on the book fair's tab on our web site, booktv.org. >> and now i'm very pleased to introduce tonight's speaker. adam cohen is a "new york times" best are-selling author and lecturer yale law school. he was a senior writer for "time magazine" and had a weekly law column. before entering journalism he was an

32 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on