Skip to main content

tv   Key Capitol Hill Hearings  CSPAN  April 5, 2016 12:00am-2:01am EDT

12:00 am
the process needs to be incentivizing us. >> the 1st computer science department in the world. the 2nd.
12:01 am
and so we are very committed to this. making major investments to grow with the demand. and i have had more than one person suggest to me an interesting idea. we are thinking about it. we ought to add computer science as a candidate for fulfilling our language requirement. it is a language just like spanish or german and perhaps in some age maybe even more useful. we ought to let that satisfy it is an intriguing -- animated by a sentiment much like yours. >> i suggest to we put in calculus, algorithms and
12:02 am
algorithmic thinking. >> doesn't have to include calculus. you have to have any particular scores. statistically many of the scholars will notice. the single strongest correlate, four years of math. one simple thing is dial that up they are not there already. >> keep the microphone here. >> thank you. this is for president
12:03 am
daniels. >> next line, independent citizen. >> behave yourself. what percentage of your students are us citizens and what percentage of your graduates end up working in the united states? how is this improve your thinking how policies that are working or not working in the country today? 85 percent of undergraduates and only 55 percent of graduate students are domestic. and we think we have -- talk about the undergraduates, 30,000 on the main campus. the rn about the right balance. one of the most diverse
12:04 am
universities, 15 and in recent years of low iron that. the 1st foreign trip you take, make the effort on this campus. so we talk about that a lot. i think we had a recently good balance. i understand it is held hostage to other issues and immigration area. it is one of those things i think were people who disagree about other things understand comeau we take all the smart people who want to come here, and we think we keep about 15%. 15%.15 percent. it's hard to know. fifteen to 20 percent of the international students not counting those who stay for graduate, but those are
12:05 am
going to the workforce, multiple of that. talking to hundreds and hundreds of them by now. and just a follow-up on your saying to an undergraduate, this is the most diverse community you would be in. just look around you. do you think in another itself it is an asset? >> sure. but yes. not to open up another subject for the most important of all is the diversity of you point and output. demography. >> i will catch all of you. then we will go over there. >> i would 1st like to
12:06 am
challenge you. i would like to say that. my question is kind of flashback to my childhood. 43 percent of the american people cannot afford broadband. the new america foundation. we find the jobs after be applied for online. the internet is the new telephone. people no longer need to call 911. they need a way to communicate, basic communication. it is like there's 4 percent of americans not paying taxes. and they can afford broadband. very disturbing. this is my question. we had a recent metro shut down and people found that they could do the work home,
12:07 am
women found out they could make appointments, do reservations because they cannot travel and the city, their employers allow them to do their work home. do you see that in the digital economy? we can create more roles for women that we can work from home but still not lose our pay because we are being just as productive? change the mindset of the current people that are the leaders. we can create. >> appointed you to look into these and any other issues. >> i will be cochairing this new advisory board on the digital economy. one of the questions that the commerce department has put time and effort into his access to the internet in rural areas.
12:08 am
a lot of companies and put a have put a lot of time and effort into that as well. your question about women working from home is more complicated because it gets back to issues mitch raised. there is a tension over whether people who work full-time for a company from home get benefits were as if they go to an office building they would get benefits. we need to resolve some of the tension. most of our population has been moving towards cities. for the vast numbers of women they are talking about , the issue is less iterative access and more some of these other benefit job conditions, issues, but certainly access to the internet universally in this country is something we have to pay critical attention to.
12:09 am
if you look at china and other countries, it is not lost on them. that will be the engine of economic growth as well as individual opportunity. >> the core of your question is an interesting one. being in a place with other people, we have seen marissa mayer, communion, quit trying to telecommute from home. you have to be physically around because people are more productive. steve jobs felt that way as well. yet it is somewhat discriminatory. >> thirty years ago everyone said that it up again and television became bigger. there is a natural inclination. >> that is what this form
12:10 am
thrives on, people like being together. >> thank you very much. december of last year served as a county board supervisor. now i'm in the private industry trying to earn a living. the levels of local, state or federal chuckling a bit. a lot of the action is taking place. technology driven. the whole world of technology. not confined.
12:11 am
the agreement or whatever issues are involved. technology is really for everybody. areas with a great deal of diversity, a lot of folks are being left out, being in the service industry for folks want to have a cup of coffee and aa smile and get the change back and say have a nice day. what options are what do you say to folks with vocational training and technology certification might expedite a world into a higher ladder in society, more knowledgeable technology skills down the line? workforce development, usually high-paying jobs and requires a high level of dedication.
12:12 am
a lot of people for whatever reason might only have a high school diploma. so what is the suggestion that you offer? >> anyone want to take that? >> that is exactly what the skill level is about. going forward you will see employers more and more not look for a generic document. they will look for the aggregation of skills that i'm looking for because they will get a better price for it. less expensive to get two or three certificates and the badge. the employer is going to get someone who is better suited and happier and less expensive. a lot of what is skillful is about is getting potential employees together much closer much more rapidly. >> this is extraordinarily innovative.
12:13 am
and so we provide financial aid. whatever pace they can pick them up in order to achieve certain skills and the diploma -based curriculum and that is starting to happen more and more. people can pick up at their own pace things there trying to learn and demonstrate, the training in the learning that is provided by that. there are number of committee college is grappling with this, how they went from being seen time to certificate or diploma -based. the graduation rates are
12:14 am
staggeringly low.low. i will not even shock you with a number. so if they can get people achievement along the way comeau we also are trying to get people who have had some college, they don't have a diploma the way to show that they have skills, they, they had picked up the skills, took statistics, took coding so that they can demonstrate that they have skills that are in demand in the workplace and finally feel proud as well as economically satisfied, feel proud of what they have learned because i think that a critical part of this equation is to have americans believe in themselves again i believe in the country again and to believe that the things that they know are valued skills in the public arena, that is a critical part of what we
12:15 am
have to achieve. >> nicole chatterley at the multicultural media telecom and talking about women and girls, i am affiliated with arizona center for gender equity. my question is actually this. we talk a lot about the knowledge economy. how do you reconcile implicit and explicit by an that exists in institutions and from employers, particularly from people of color and more vulnerable populations, the knowledge economy does not look like those folks, so how do we begin to think about the conversation of disparity and push it past the skill building phase and more towards shifting institutional paradigm so that they are accepting of people.
12:16 am
>> you know, at the end of malcolm gladwell's book there is a wonderful anecdote that describes 1982 almost every trombone tuba player was a man because women didn't have the lung capacity or strength and in this woman went and did a blind audition is the son of the 1st violinist at the berlin symphony. anyway, go home, you're it. she came out in everyone freaked out and there were lawsuits. but the wonderful image of what happened and now every symphony has blind auditions now it's almost 5050. i think that blind auditions should be everywhere. offered a right. if they don't want to be seen by the jury, tattoos
12:17 am
all over themselves or whatever reason, they should have that choice. and certainly when your applying for jobs it makes perfect sense. and technology helps, too, i think. >> yes, ma'am. way over there. >> i am actually retire from government. my question is how we create a new safer force to go against problems like infrastructure so that in the digital age it seems to me that technology could help us figure out ways to get infrastructure that matches advances in the digital world. i have heard much about how we push these companies to actually find that knew thing that brings in a lot of people to take on some of our problems we have right now. >> i think it is coming.
12:18 am
your car will talk to the road soon. talk to other cars. the infrastructure we build in the future will be smart in a way that we never imagined. i am not sure this is quite encompass to your question, but no bigger believer and infrastructure in the room than me. we build more a long time. i am a true believer that this is a major issue for the country, build a new infrastructure, but we ought not to overestimate the degree of employment that comes with it. only so many people. i skill job, charge of a bulldozer. a greater. this is not, you know, 1930s, some people have this imaginary view that it
12:19 am
will put joins a people to work. no. the second-order effect. businesses locate to take advantage of it. and so i think you will see and are seeing important new investments, but the last point, if you want to talk about a place for public policy gets in the way of progress and is easy to talk about billing infrastructure, go try to do it sometime and spend eight years and environmental impact statements or check and see if someone could find an arrowhead. everyone is concerned about the infrastructure price, how ridiculously difficult we make it for no compelling societal reason. >> we talked earlier making
12:20 am
trade schools and community colleges, talk about infrastructure spending, as a governor how do you calculate return on investment whether it is creating free community college or a new water system, internet system so that you know whether it is costing are benefiting society? >> you do your best. every investment is a leap of faith. when you're building bridges or broadband or pipelines comeau whatever call for the long-term you have to imagine things that are not here yet. the value of infrastructure, and i have seen this, what comes along after. you cannot always predict that. >> when they built to connect university computers. >> absolutely.
12:21 am
we got rid of what was a political patronage system for deciding which roads and bridges to build, swept that away and had a blinded system algorithms based on what we believed were safety, convenience, and economic advantages, but you have to be modest enough to know and you could be wrong. you can try and should try to proceed based upon some sort of logic knowing that some will work out better and some you will put they're and where is everybody. >> the gentleman here. >> thank you. thank you both for being here today. you have done great work with us in the past. you mentioned earlier how the k-12 system is one of the most important to
12:22 am
address the problems that face our nation. the opportunities to integrate work -based learning are apprenticeships to better link the education system. >> a great question and like everything else ii do not pretend to have an answer. probably the most reckless of all the things we're trying to do comeau we will start a high school of our own and it will look a lot like -- it is a mirror image of this account. now, i will confess to you that seeing if we can contribute something to a high school education that does exactly what john was talking about, gift certificates or badges comeau we imagine a number of these graduates was bring from high school the work. but the number one objective honestly, to go back to
12:23 am
something else we talked about before, the pool of first-generation and minority students who are even remotely likely to succeed at our university in our state is heartbreakingly small, and i am tired of waiting. so this high school, if we can make it work, if we can make it work the one rule i have established is in every diploma it can be a direct admission to purdue university. we can't wait anymore. every year at this time i check. the total number of african-american graduates in the state of indiana at the purdue medium, and we are land-grant school. we have high standards. we were put there to bring
12:24 am
the doors to higher education open beyond the elite and in every year i have been there has been a low three digit number. that is the whole universe. anduniverse. and i can tell you how many of those are young men. and so we're going to try to jump into the deep end of the pool. yes, i think we can contribute something or learned some things that will speed young people to remunerative employment, but it is also aimed at trying to have a university community that includes people of low income and first-generation. >> i'm sorry. a couple of the hands. >> thank you and good afternoon. you know, we have heard conversation about the lack
12:25 am
of wages of the wage growth issue. talk a little bit about the issue of student debt. also her little bit about folks who are 40, 50, and above. the economy working his way forward, this idea of the data and mining royalty, when we are data mind a personal data is mind, author be a royalty assessed? the funds contribute to something like the alaska president fund so that each year individuals targeted, the check is cut to those particular folks based upon the amount of data mind. >> it is such an interesting question. i was recently with some leading mit researchers in the bunch of people from silicon valley talking about what the research agenda
12:26 am
should be, and i put on the table, take a hard question. forget all the stuff that people suggest to you, how many people are going to work in the giga economy, take a hard question, your question, how do you evaluate whether or not people should benefit from the value of what they provide into an internet system relative to what they get from all of the free goods, the fact that they can use all of these services for free, and those are the kinds of questions for this economy that i hope institutions will take a look at because we don't have a clue. we do not know how to measure the economy we are in either. gdp is not really the best measurement for the economy we are in now. so there is really right field for new understandings that can lead to new policy decisions and business decisions. >> and i will let both the
12:27 am
governors have a quick respite. >> sure. thank you very much. i do want to point out. >> a new wife. >> a new wife. i am a strong supporter of hillary clinton. president daniels, don't get yelled that when i get home. i think this is one of the key issues that this country faces, how to more rapidly connect kids with skills, not just the knowledge with the skills that they will need to succeed in life. skillful. apprenticeship will be a huge part of it. high schools, what president daniels refers to is another part of this.
12:28 am
my son is in the public school for longer school day, longer school year. loves it. we have experiments like that all over the country. i think this may be where institutions of higher learning get to be at the ground floor and then against the more rapidly. >> mr. president. [laughter] >> well, a provocative question. the subject of one of your upcoming. one thing that strikes me, young people in particular but all americans seem very complacent about giving up this data. $0.10 every time, that's fine. probably ought to be a matter of free choice but we ought to make sure it is an informed choice. know exactly what the implications are on a lesson
12:29 am
by look through. >> one of the many new elements in this new economy. i 1st want to thank so we. since you have taken over you have been at the forefront of every interesting and important issue. i thank you very much for it. those of us who work here, we look upon arthur is our moral compass, especially with your new book. thanks for all you have done. >> i know you will join me in thanking our guests. more conversations on this incredibly diverse topic. [laughter] we will have an ongoing conversation. what it means which is really the entire discussion.
12:30 am
half of all of us. [applause] [inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations] >> state department official , shannon will testify about the iran nuclear agreement, take questions from senate foreign relations committee members live tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. eastern on c-span. later in the day defense secretary ashton carter will talk about defense policy and national security.
12:31 am
he will be at the center for strategic and international studies live at 1:00 p.m. eastern also on c-span. >> campaign 2016 continues with the wisconsin primary. live coverage tuesday night. tune in for complete election results candidate speeches and fewer reaction. the road to the white house on c-span, c-span radio and c-span.org. >> next political cartoonist and academics discuss the power of editorial cartoons and their influence on the presidential election. election. we would hear from pulitzer prize-winning cartoonist including the 1st woman to win the pulitzer for editorial cartooning.
12:32 am
[inaudible conversations] >> i am pleased to have you here for promises to be a lively conversation about a complex subject which is a perfect description of what we do. foster spirited and civil conversation on complex issues. yes. informed by the knowledge of experts and the wisdom provided by all of you. i hope we will all experience some moments tonight. the wonderful occasion when we see something from a different perspective or gain a new insight. contribute not only your thoughts. there will be plenty of opportunity, but to listen carefully and respectfully to others even if an especially if you disagree.
12:33 am
nice discussion is the 2nd of three events for our panelists, two of them appeared on the exchange this morning and you'll probably catch the rebroadcast on your drive home. tomorrow we have 1100 high school students and their teachers will gather at unh to consider the same issues we will wrestle with this evening. 1100. we think this is a skilled business ship. tonight's program would not be possible without the generosity of the new hampshire has to the politics political library. we arewe are so grateful for all of your work to host us here. on the back of your program this is part of a nationwide celebration of the centennial. one of 46 humanities councils around the country mounting programs that are
12:34 am
highlighting the astonishing contributions to journalism, historical analysis and artistic creation recognized over the past 100 years. you will find a link to the full list taking place this year our website. it is my pleasure to turn the program over to our moderator. wonderful to have you back after you abandoned the concord monitor for greener pastures of the boston globe [applause] >> i'm not sure that sounded like a complement exactly. this is a bigger crowd than i imagined. so happy to be appear. i'm playing hooky to be part of this. i was at the monitor for many years. including a stretch as editor. and -- [applause] pretty good.
12:35 am
one of my favorite parts was working with our political cartoonist. the monitor is a very small paper. many papers have never had one part decided that it was something they didn't want to support new more. i felt what i would do is briefly give introduction to let them tell you in their own words about their work and then we will open it up to questions. we will take questions from the audience. you know, our broad seen tonight's freedom of speech and whether there are and should be limits but really the night is yours. anything you would like to ask. we will start right here. directly on my left, a mana
12:36 am
man whose cartoons have appeared in hundreds of papers and magazines across the country. he cartoons for the lexington "herald" leader, contributes weekly "usa today" and writes a regular featurea regular feature on cartoon for the la times, a finalist for the pulitzer prize in 1989 in 1998 before winning in 2,000. [applause] next is a professor of international cooperation of brandeis, her most recent books are the cartoons that shook the world and the islamic challenge for politics and religion in western europe, founder of the western g.i. wasjihadist and project data collection and archive focused on islamic extremists in the west and leads the team of brandeis funded by the
12:37 am
national institute of justice that is studying islamic terrorist networks. [applause] on the other side of the easel, best known for her work at the philadelphia daily news, the 1st female cartoonist to win the pulitzer prize for editorial cartooning, served as president of the association of american editorial cartoonists 9495 and in 2,005 she published a collection of work titled one nation under surveillance. [applause] on the very end publisher emeritus of the nation magazine and the editor from 1978 to 1995 and publisher and editorial director from 95 to 2,005.
12:38 am
before that editor at the new york times magazine and wrote a monthly column about the publishing business, the author of kennedy justice. so this is a terrific panel we have got. [applause] i think we will start by letting each of them speak briefly about their own work and draw the inevitable turnover questions. >> thank you so much, just to correct the record i have been fired from both "usa today" and the la times since that bio was done. you know, i went to the reception beforehand and wanted coffee and they did not have coffee. i am guessing somebody here as heroin. now?
12:39 am
you know, we only have five minutes each. going to blow through these pretty quick. in september you can see the date in the fine print, but it still is relevant or irrelevant as it was then. >> can you all see it? >> a separate screen. >> i am trying. i am pushing buttons. to start pushing them all. sure. this was last summer. circle $100,000 speaking fee to speak to disabled iraq veterans. almost in the hillary clinton category.
12:40 am
that's way more than we are getting tonight from the humanities council. so this is here. last fall our two-party government joining the chorus and saying we don't want any more experienced refugees. three adopted kids from somalia. who is against adopting kids. under this cartoon. you don't have to. the lexington "herald" leader.
12:41 am
the publishers african-american. the leading progressive voice for 30 years. the right wing hate radio sphere, inundated for 24 hours. not from our own readers of course. the publisher hated, but i thought it was cool. the matter how much shooting when it's always good for them.
12:42 am
religious fanatics around the world. last summer when our county clerks refused so you see what it is. [applause] there are some pretty serious repercussions. in this country they just fire you. jesus thing and they were
12:43 am
not wild about that in sacramento. they can dish it out but can't take it. you do something people alike. for a while is actually selling it on the side start crossing lines. his report was being dragged out of the country. held his fingers broken. we criticize the country. but actually am really patriotic. [applause]
12:44 am
not really my forte. the only need a couple of things to make them them. you can put his angry face. i'm so sorry. >> sorry about that. i have not mastered the art of doing this without my body. with reagan it was that.
12:45 am
>> live in kentucky mitch mcconnell. basically with match. [laughter] you do that you have already gotten. [laughter] [applause]
12:46 am
>> you can't get heroin. [laughter] >> in 2005 certain danish newspaper fit a contact. it was a survey. illustrators were afraid. music ability of our danish newspaper illustrator the pictures as a very important
12:47 am
thing. because the newspaper was too critical. the result was ambiguous. this is denmark. those are the drawings. a very different nature. in arabic of the editors of a newspaper are reactionary.
12:48 am
a boy named mohammed very immigrant neighborhood. the primarily ever in orange. this was an exercise six months later there was one six months later today understand them? i wrote a book about it. the book was the result in i
12:49 am
thought all the men leaders, the episode as well as some of the cartoonists. and i wrote a book about it. and of course i have this illustration the book. where they described? you think this has any meaning whatsoever? so pictures of our own imaginations. that's why i wrote a whole chapter. and so i had to raise money.
12:50 am
the page showing mom riding into war with an army. there are hundreds. many hundreds of those pictures. i wrote about why it is so many people have come to believe they do not tolerate the pictures. ingres to find pictures video god. not because the pictures but
12:51 am
because there were successful. they actually seem to say that all muslims are terrorists. i am evidence in north. a bunch of images, different versions of the picture of mom. here is the 2nd part of the story. most try to erase the track what they do.
12:52 am
so yale university, an agreement that would draw the pictures and return marks in the book of been censored. they have to go ahead and do it. the right to have the illustration. the breakout. the vice president of you, afraid of what would happen to my children. so intimidation involved.
12:53 am
censorship. i didn't have many good friends. the downstream consequences in my view to talk about the rights of people. the importance of free speech is the right to consume knowledge. because of this active censorship readers cannot see these pictures and there are a lot of misunderstandings. but even more
12:54 am
misunderstanding, why there was protest. at the end of the day the conclusion was the wrong one. the conclusion was you still tolerate images of mohammed. that is not true. terrorists are in the business of shooting people. they should cartoonists. because they want to send a message for the same reason they shoot you, kill jews so when this happened i walk into the editorial offices, amazing in paris. and shot and killed 11
12:55 am
members of the editorial staff. good symbolic targets. in fact we have come to the conclusion that you can even show these things. now, how many people knew this is what it looked like? this is mohammed. it does. but this is the language this magazine has specialized.
12:56 am
the real danger of not having an ability to speak about controversial issue. [applause] the council on humanities and particularly a massive who helped us get here. trying to organize cartoonists to do anything is virtually impossible. [applause]
12:57 am
and i also wantedi also wanted to say quick word about the pulitzer prizes. a friend of ours, if you tell who's on the jury he will tell you was going to win the prize command in my case that turned out to be quite true. in 1991 and a quite a few cartoons about the supreme court nomination of class thomas. those of you who are around four member super controversial. he was accused of impropriety with anita hill. those were in on pulitzer
12:58 am
you get a jury that is mostly women. i just want you to know if you are going for pulitzer, find the jury 1st and then adjust your prize. >> i am quickly, that sort of gets to some of the things people think about me. what a very few women cartoonists. a number of cartoons on women's issues. most are cartoons that men can do too. however, there are some that are not. [laughter]
12:59 am
>> on this next one. >> i'm also the mother of two daughters. they wonder why more women. [laughter] i have a letter writer right. this brought down the tenor of the newspaper. [laughter] notice.
1:00 am
donald drugs. eating came out. read in the new york times story of the day that he has this butler is all the stuff for him but comes his own hair. ..
1:01 am
>> >> >>. >> when there is a debate to take a photo that person who talked about fruit. [laughter] is so bad is him with his
1:02 am
first salad. [laughter] this was the fourth two nights ago but there is a great sort of icon. [laughter] you will though the cartoon ended 1975. and then there is donald trump. the color is bad but that is bright orange he is said and tanning. i just went for it. that was the hampshire. last week free at last.
1:03 am
everything in america. [applause] >> i am not a cartoonist and you're not a high school student. [laughter] so i apologize for what they are building up a but at first as editor then publisher of the nation magazine only once did the staff march on the office as a bastion to take ideas very seriously as those of you to read it no. but and then they demanded
1:04 am
we not publish so let me tell you a little bit about it. i got a call one day from those who did the caricature he was an old friend of mine because when i was in moscow many years ago there was a political satire magazine from the one eyed man is king in the editorial policy review the work of matter how all contradictory and we signed up of budget great cartoonist for the magazine and david was one of them.
1:05 am
he said he had done the character for the new york review of books for the article coming out and it was the caricature of kissinger and it was too strong for them. i said describe it he chose kissinger on top in the world and the woman's body of the bottom and kissinger is screwing the world. i said i am very interested but it will give me a lot of trouble. he said why? i said i don't know but it will. [laughter] i said sanded down so he did i had to get it up on the screen. [laughter]
1:06 am
here it is. so to meet this was a spectacular statement evil and ecstasy so i called david up to say we will run it. to a half hours later the petitions signed from an office that i thought employed only 23. [laughter] landed on my desk objecting to west publishing it. so what i said in is that would call a staff meeting to discuss at the beginning i said there are three ground rules. we will not take a vote is
1:07 am
wrong to vote on aesthetics. luckily nobody asked me why. [laughter] second everyone should feel free to say what they want but if you want to make suggestions are changes because it is given on it take it or leave it basis. and finally i told him we will publish it that doesn't mean that we have to i can rethink that but so with that leading into the discussion we entered into the most articulate and beginning of a young woman who is the circulation
1:08 am
manager summed up the ejection as a nation we should be fighting against stereotypes this reinforces the stereotypes that sex is something inactive mail on top does to a passive woman on the bottom and somehow that is dirty or evil. [laughter] so with that is the basis we had this discussion and preserve religions ended up working for us he was british who later became more conservative but he used to wear white suits to the office he said i don't think it is an active sex but rape brachiates forcing
1:09 am
himself of this woman and the woman said will get her he and on the mattress he leaned oveand citrus me that is not a grip of passion. [laughter] so we had the discussion then they invited david to come back to have the discussion with the staff we went through which a few times keep what is shown no courtesy and in my view was as good as he gets when it comes to caricatures if you can do better if he is serious about his work was shown no difference.
1:10 am
-- a difference if he said all the wrong things in an office like the nation. for example, he said i'm gesturing with normal people do. [laughter] the nation is not against political correctness. although i worry about that a lot with that stigma of political correctness. cassidy was sorry if he caveman he said no. , i've been doing this more than 20 years i have never had a serious discussion about what he does so he was glad to have that. the cartoon appeared begot mail and letters a bunch of cartoonist praising it
1:11 am
saying they were glad we rivet we river statement by the staff a letter from the staff signed a from the petition they originally sent and i forgot about it. not really but i put it aside eddying a weekly magazine but then along came the danish mohammed. then it occurred to me there was into the political incorrectness they were objecting to that in the form of a cartoon of a visual image because of what happened in denmark i said
1:12 am
to myself when they go through the history of cartoons in the country and from the very beginning the cartoonist were thrown into prison, killed the leading arab cartoonist around that time was killed on the streets of london and there were first rumors he was murdered under the order of arafat because of insulting cartoons that they never found out. what is going on? wire people so emotionally enraged at cartoons which
1:13 am
are regarded by the general public as not serious so i decided to write my own book about it. the other but have not come out yet but i wasn't writing about the danish mohammad the i did think they were great so included one in my book because to show the argument when it was about and like your editor told me they weren't interested to have republish this and gave me a series of reasons that boiled down to what you have heard but the official reason was it would be dangerous to people in bookstores getting blown up or that they could be. and since people all over
1:14 am
the world were protesting for myself, i decided it was a great cartoon and as i saw it right or wrong you could go on the internet to google it of the danish mohammad any time you wanted so was centigrade issue of principle and also we got a cartoon by the french cartoonist which i wish to put up of the board but is in the book and that was eupepsia he and with the peg and it says i will not drop muhammed in this is a well much drama, it he writes
1:15 am
that 100 times and by the time you finish she is drawing muhamed. [laughter] that is the alternate statement because of what it implies which i hope we can talk about in that conversation period. that is what i am doing up here. thank you very much. [applause] >> this is a wonderful start. i was so excited to be asked to be the moderator because i see the opportunity to ask what you thought of something right in the wake of the attacks of charlie and joe suddenly anybody was a fan of the magazine although most of us have never heard of it and on facebook people were taking
1:16 am
on the slogan and there were rallies and marches the bin gary trudeau came out with a puff provocative statement he is the cartoonist his 70 and over and over again and is the symbol of what happens when you go too far as a publisher sometimes they are pulled but what he said was surprising in the wake of those fatal attacks he said essentially just a tissue can affect some ben does it mean that you should and he said when free-speech absolutist have failed to acknowledge because one has the right to offend a group does not mean that they must where they have the right to be outraged if but they can feel pre--- pain. at some point free expression become childish and his own fanaticism so
1:17 am
this is a rebuke to what the people of the magazine were doing of them having been killed. the web like to hear from everybody. >> here is another teeseventeen cover love is stronger than eight. can we agree on that? o it is two guys win and then maybe mohammad that is a huge controversy this is what teeseventeen did very well under what we have been talking about because of
1:18 am
some sensibility when the danish cartoons came out immediately i wanted to go draw of mohammed because i am a cartoonist of my editors said that is not in our real house we're very local my editors back me up on many things so i stood about it for a while and a couple-- later i figured out how to put mohammed in a cartoon. my beautiful assistant is save little slow. [laughter] here we have a big fat to book of religion. [laughter] of course, that is muhamed third from the right. and i did not get any complaints about this cartoon in the backs up what
1:19 am
you said that people complain about stereotypes but it is a happy and laughing and everybody is down with it. this went around the world many times again after teeseventeen and nobody came after me or my publication or rich children so you have to do what you have to do. i just want to talk more about the positive and negative it is about all symbols for all religions. island this back in 1982 when, this is a tiny little drawing with a letter to the editor. about complaints of
1:20 am
palestinians targeting the scope bin site of the very badly drawn gun. hi i have improved since then the. [laughter] but i drew that three months later there in the midst of re a local woman running against arlen specter during clarence thomas hearings he was the pennsylvania senator and was in trouble by this woman so his camp started a whispering campaign about her to be anti-semitic because one time at her church they had spoken to was up palestinian. therefore she was
1:21 am
anti-semitic. so i drew this little cartoon with letters on this subject. all hell broke loose. this tiny little drawing got me into more trouble than any in other thing, not really but many others. [laughter] people called me feminism's own daring and people would ask for my job and they thought i'd be better in advertising. we had an entire page of letters that went out after me personally and the newspaper. say that the star of david is always off-limits because it is a religious symbol that is sacred.
1:22 am
but go back. but this one it was perfectly okay no one commented because, but the next one because the people who are upset did not agree with the point of the cartoon. it is how the symbol is used if you been the symbol you cannot use it anyway positive or negative. you cannot let one group own a simple. sari. if the cross is available for all christians is available for everyone. if it is something in the bad of christianity than it ought to be used. so my line on all of these
1:23 am
if you don't want your profit used in a negative cartoon show into negative things in the name of your profit. [laughter] teefive so here it is the newspaper. [laughter] and this last one is to reinforce where we came from as a country. this is from the 1890's i think for the '70s is the religious vicinity fair into mach's every single religion at the time because muhamed did not start immigrating
1:24 am
here and tell the 1890's. but here we have the two of the left end catholics and more is even episcopalians. even the free love that the time when it says your road to heaven. this is our heritage. we look skeptical of all religions and as they come to the united states they must join in this religious bin in the fare for the good end of bad. they guyot teefive.
1:25 am
>> i have one reservation. >> am not surprised. [laughter] but first i should confess i was brought up in a kosher household where my mother kept three sets of dishes one for dairy and one for me to in one for my father. [laughter] but i don't know that i've read is with the philosopher who said the caricature is in the business of apologizing for the world that says the infusion appeals to the emotional mind. and he gave a lesson in the
1:26 am
example that that he was say parasite but then cites some great but then to be of a crowd of england. and it is unjust that is dash that causes the reaction but the fusion of a brilliant cartoonist can achieve rand caricatures as she did that the nation and i think of another dispute over cartoons but from robert grossman who had a book came out to say abraham lincoln mate -- might be gay there arabia cartoon it wasn't dash but it showed
1:27 am
him with a hatchet and brass and a woman's body. and we got a lot of complaints to work as a friend and editor in their frequent contributor in the gay activist. he said to be gay is to have a woman inside of your body and that the sole discretion did that the natiodoesn't in to say sorry if he offended him but all that it was when he heard about this book the word they blink and came into his mind. [laughter] in denver were we wrong or
1:28 am
right? but there understood the anchor people they were part of the discriminated minority we heard more about teesix and this is not a case to punch up the case of punches. >> as we now know from this year's political campaign white men are discriminated against. i cannot control white men anymore. [laughter] >> so is teesix right hand went too far? >> that statement of the aftermath of teesix was
1:29 am
interpreted by most other cartoonist has said they had it coming. there were sad and angry he had written that he would to go on his smooth it over to work on television and it has culminated with the panels similar to this set the national cartoonist society this is a group of greeting card people in the animators with the big group and i got to be on the panel with gary and a couple of others and did not back down. and he said for people like
1:30 am
mcconnell the second and third generation with a former french colonist living on the outskirts of paris did not assimilating well in to pick on them. but when somebody has a gun that changes i said i would start my own religion. [laughter] with one of his characters. he did think it was that funny. [laughter] >> i have one more question. this will be brief. so which target of donald trump is for a cartoonist to
1:31 am
make a whole industry so draw him as a buffoon and as a clown but suddenly his campaign is taken on a dark turd. today he was on television this morning that if the republican party tries to deny him the nomination even within reach of delegates we would have rights. this is trompe predicting right its. so i wonder if it changes the way you think about the prospect of violence and actual violence has happened it isn't funny but what do you do with that? >> first of all, they make this a mistake they are not the same prognosticators to think he was a buffoon last
1:32 am
fall and will be gone next week or next month next year 0k in four years. [laughter] ended is attempting in this situation like this because it is so easy and it is so out there and the rest concentrates the end it is fun but it does seem perfect for today but by the end of the year did you realize you have got 160 with the horse race event to say rubio is out.
1:33 am
with the world's population to not educate those girls or pluting the oceans or whenever your topic. it can be a distraction. >> comedy here like cartoons about donald trump? [laughter] people react to them. i have a very local audience. it is broader than just philadelphia but i am supposed to be doing local cartoons because if they all do donald trump it is a politician and if he gets on a single day my maryann
1:34 am
philadelphia doesn't get any. so really the significance of the cartoonist is best felt in their home country. they really feel it there so i see it is a temptation but i was doing one yesterday and the day of the election. i didn't know how that would turn out to but the publisher walked by to said you're doing donald trump? i should be. [laughter] so there is always a pleasure and a poll so the
1:35 am
dictator in waiting it is very visual to remind people where we have been. >> and hands down winner. >> that will be beautiful. >> we have drawn all these cartoons it is still running. the virginia should be nice. >> let's take questions from the audience. >> as repulsive as donald trump is but he has mentioned is political
1:36 am
correctness his interpretation may be different but the two events to be politically correct and it is dangerous for the country. and with teeseventeen cbs is an nbc out of respect for the muslim brothers i that that was pandering and disgusting. did anybody draw cartoons about that? going back to harvard university president to suggest a research project on why women across the country are below in the
1:37 am
science field. is the fact and he wanted to know why. when the faculty at harvard went insane. i felt if that is really harvard has come to this you cannot discuss real issues that harvard closed its doors it ceased to exist because what good is it? >> this transfer that after the teeseventeen shooting there was a parody playing out from the networks so that was one situation with these postings on line.
1:38 am
and then to pull up the cover and then say we can show that. we can show that. is so these images are everywhere. so the argument behind that is we're just going to continue to make pictures. i have a fair amount of sympathy also that we would not put out the anti-semitic that denigrate black people in it is quite prevalent.
1:39 am
en to become sensitized to those images. but it would argue with that reaction with that image. and on that occasion i was pretty upset and i felt it
1:40 am
was a negative remark in when he is the president? but he does not have free speech. nor do i as a professor. but i have the freedom to say that. >> if i heard the question
1:41 am
right then to get the statistics but the statistics are very complicated that it isn't that true with those male and female brains for research. but i will remind you of ibm and economist. not a narrow scientist. we should all have a free pass every once in awhile. >> did nbc is here real? -- he answer your e-mail? >> it before teeseventeen my
1:42 am
wife and i were visiting a friend in paris he wanted to see a documentary movie it was called the title of the offensive cover. translated it is really tough when you are loved by teetwelve not to denigrate muslims but to denigrate those who were misusing their religion. with a documentary movie to be made of a slander suit by the landmarks of paris of the claim into zero and a
1:43 am
copy of the dvd there are subtitles but it was filmed in realtime which was neat. you should see it they had to prove damages. the only evidence was a catholic cleric who said he was deeply offended by the cover because he knew the pope was coming to paris in two weeks and he was terrified what teeseventeen would do -- so that reinforces the comments you have been making up there. >> i frequently right thing
1:44 am
suddenly to be published because i'm interested to see what i think feel about things but i write things occasionally their controversial the have no intention of publishing to have anybody but my wife see it to ever write cartoons about things you put aside and don't intend to publish where is the btu right is intended to be seen? >> that is a good question. [laughter] that is a question i have never received before. [laughter] the. >> i write a lot of bad poetry. [laughter] >> you can not paraphrase that what it really is. and to have a kinship.
1:45 am
>> i have done cartoons still sitting on my desk from many years ago and i think someday i may use but sometimes the time isn't right or the video isn't right or i feel but i am trying to small a group with the big family circulation. >> area concerned it is to controversial? or overstepping the boundaries? >> i thought that was utterly tasteless. [laughter] of the naked male anatomy to walk around the newsroom. [laughter]
1:46 am
>> the in the newspapers still to this day subscribe to the idea of the 1950's idea what is appropriate and what isn't. so we don't do naked people. but they do them all the time. >> there is a corollary. there are limits of free speech how do you decide where the line is between free speech in in good taste?
1:47 am
>> good taste? [laughter] there must be times when you salad like to draw this. >> is a reason you know, what down the street to tell somebody they look like idiots. you just know. isn't that complicated. final call is all censorship but everybody conducts themselves in a civilized society there is no asper school of cartooning.
1:48 am
but you see what i mean it is the same reason you don't chase everybody at every dinner party that is the best answer i can give. >> i have the inside baseball question it does not have an editorial cartoonist is there any hope with an editor that will change at "the new york times"? >> find out and call us immediately.
1:49 am
it is one of the best in the country i think. or even publish other cartoons. where they run foreign in five in the number one complaint they got when the redesigned that section what happened to the cartoons? the comments but wrote to collins and they said no thanks. but for me especially in the kentucky and they had an extra audience of 1 million smart people in things would happen from that. but i got a tweet today from 72 said the of this cartoon
1:50 am
and it was a clipping that they can add of "the new york times" 20 years ago because i remember. they had another refrigerator forever and they took that away from ascended is infuriating. up through 1959 period the political cartoon on the front page. is now not at all but there on the verge of extinction and not entirely because of a dwindling circulation of papers or editors bear rather deliberately by the biggest factors in the field. thanks for your question. >> in the york times does occasionally on their online edition with their
1:51 am
international i don't even know how often. but if you look at newspapers, tv, the internet to or even radio disseminates the news to make them move. but that is the only thing that is in the paper and unfortunately the cartoon itself lake of the former is disappearing purpose with
1:52 am
his physical as well. and i hope you subscribe but it is a very different experience. so we have all mourned the loss and had hoped that it would change. >> and just to be accurate. >> now if everybody in this room maybe we would have a chance. >> and more broadly has the shrinkage of the newspaper
1:53 am
industry been wholly negative or the advent given between web sites and twitter to provide new outlets or does it not work that way? >>. >> it is very easy to get a great audience where millions of people see it but it is hard to be paid. but for the young cartoonist is really hard to make a living they work superhardened produce great stuff with every different social platform in some of them it is nice but for the
1:54 am
most part it is difficult but when i was hired by the corporation 32 years ago i had in eight year learning curve that had the of luxury that said keep doing at and do that every day. >>. >> it is very easy to see how writing space deadlines that the baseball game how do you come up with your cartoons three or four times a week? which generates your juices flowing? >> it is a dot com when that doesn't work. [laughter] i will read the newspaper. i personally find great
1:55 am
riding if it is good political reporting with a story about the debates or the elections can trigger images and good writing should trigger images so i am indebted to all of the reporters and the writers to do the heavy lifting and that is where a lot of my ideas come from. and your of the river that is when your mind can go off. >> with your observation of the internet it is easier than ever to get the information when it is
1:56 am
spoonfed by subject matter there is an avalanche in makes it easier than ever with fewer actual reporters you have to have confidence in the information and it is easier to do their research i can't remember why but brown v. board of education in 1954 school bus looks like but 30 years ago you'd have to go to the library if you could find it now i can find that in five seconds. garett is ended different angles. perfect. it is a minor miracle. >> it is in fact, checked with them as a record bedizened with a copy edited or that type of journalism
1:57 am
at this point the great thing about cartoons and characters is your only presenting one side of the issue but they could be getting headed deeper truth. >> this is brilliant. [applause] >> how do you define the difference between exercising editorial judgment and censorship? >> i think as an editor your
1:58 am
job is to make other judgments in retried debt to have those influenced races criteria political correctness i could read give you a long list. and power and if you work for someone else that i was working the you will allow his or her to represent your future in in your career and how you make those decisions. i strong with this -- start
1:59 am
with this strong presumption of censorship of any sort. >> it is a very hard fact it did with the american context to talk about censorship of the of modular ways of what you do yourself. it is when you're put in prison in and because of the outside influences there is a eighth fair amount of indirect censorship and that has gotten far worse as reaping the of the are promoter of freedom.
2:00 am
but the risk aversion of publishers and newspapers in the media in general has increased dramatically. the bbc has a tremendously difficult time to regulate because it is a global population and if you talk about the local contacts a lot of cartoon is some is about local contacts is we don't know what it is any more. the man is a huge feedback as well as exaggerated the year. there is said tendency

5 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on