Skip to main content

tv   Tour of the Folger Shakespeare Library  CSPAN  April 24, 2016 12:00am-1:01am EDT

12:00 am
does the strength of your argument rely on presumption @is looking intently. imagining he can here her eyelids close and open. blink, blink. the question has done off the cool nerve and all the many practice arguments she staged to get ready. ..
12:01 am
they practice argument sessions for virtually all the cases every term and after the last argument they have a gathering to say thank you to the volunteers who serve as the mock justices for these practice sessions and when you are at the event justice ginsburg appeared and was honored and justice scalia made this very warm introduction to her. ginsburg being a fan of the institute arranged for some opera singers to common serenade her. it was really a beautiful thing that stuck with me and i incorporated that into my novel.
12:02 am
so i will read briefly tony asked us to get something that captured the essence of the supreme court. this is more of a quirky thing for those of you who have ever met somebody in the supreme court they tend to talk in their own language and jargon so my character is out of a fictionalized version of that event and he is making some observations about that. so it says we were spoiled at lsg cecelia said. like most of the supreme court community cecilia spoke in abbreviations and acronyms. the office of solicitor general was os g.. wasn't just as robert reid. it was our day. the case wasn't dismissed or improperly granted. there is the gcr, that the cbs g. and the list went on an ivory
12:03 am
tower version of annoying teenage tech speakers. [applause] >> these are tough acts to follow. my passage is not funny actually so i may be at a disadvantage. this is a short passage and it does i think capture even though it's not set at the supreme court it captures in some ways the psychology of how do you get to become one of the come out of the 1.4 million lawyers in america how do you wind up as one of the nine rogue ones who were sitting not too far from where we are right now. by the way this is funny. i feel like this is what it feels like to get a confirmation hearing. there are these bright light shining down on us and there are cameras on so it's probably the closest i will get a confirmation hearing could i will read the short passage. the background is a character to the book.
12:04 am
the character has found out that she will not be clerking for the supreme court. i would never have the privilege of clerking for the supreme court. a longtime dream of mine was dashed. at the same time i would never have the corresponding burdens and make no mistake about it the only supreme quirk came with high expectations. within a few years of leaving you are expected to enjoy a certain amount of professional success and partnership in a major law firm, tenured professorship at elite law school a high government office. if you work for a federal judge by age 45 people would wonder what went wrong. even making it to a coveted life tendency down the federal bench did not put an end to ambition ambition. district judges wanted to be circuit judges. circuit judges wanted to be particularly well-respected circuit judges such as feel
12:05 am
judges or better yet supreme court justices. i recall what judge stinson told me during my interview. i'd like to be a judge who is going places great success didn't take you off the treadmill but simply puts you in a different treadmill at a higher speed and a steeper incline. now i didn't have to worry about that. with no hope on the supreme court clerkship in my future was free to be an ordinary person. it felt liberating to have the way to an ambition lifted from me or for so i tried to tell myself. >> in the spirit of talking about clerkships and court life i'm going to read a brief excerpt from the chapter about the accounts of justice ginsburg one of whom we interviewed for the book. when rbg her to the grapevine that a clerk was -- birmingham got buds by the chambers. he remembers picking up the
12:06 am
phone apprehensively thinking he had met something. you know you have a special friend of the court rpg could you must have her up for tea. today's leader she set set up the placement of tea set and spent 30 minutes with the young couple. ladies she performed their sporting ceremony. i will never forget the end said berman instead of by the power invested me by whatever she said by the power vested in me by the united states constitution. my wife always jokes if we got divorced it would be unconstitutional. [laughter] rbg gets in on clerk shenanigans. in her first full term on the court the clerks concealed his fantasy baseball team along with the other justices of the course had put together. the clerk teams played against -- beat him soundly reports a clerk that year. he eagerly reported a victory to
12:07 am
rbg and suggests these she sent to memo crowing about the memo. she looked at me like i was crazy she recalled. she boldly slid the draft memo across the table. rbg look to the case. tell me what fantasy baseball is again she said. she took out a pence make the corrections. in the end as your maverick mama red ear sam i understand this week my clerk speak your team by a score of 10-0. expect more even from the junior justice. [laughter] [applause] >> thanks to everyone i have a copy of my book in frenemies i'm going to read a passage about a clerk trying to decide a case which is part of what this book is about. it's not an easy case. military authorities have imposed a curfew on japanese-americans or remove
12:08 am
them from their homes ordered him to report to assembly centers for transport to relocation camps. gordon here shot me refused to assemble. now the aclu has chosen him to make the challenge the exclusion orders. they have chosen him because he is clearly loyal. he's an eagle scout of baseball fan no threat to the security of the coast. the court cannot decide for him alone. we'll decide for everyone excluded and how do we decide? i use the method my professors taught me pay the lawyers are probably a story of the man who walked into the fbi office and told them he would not go. are those murky waters that draw the same intellect. i'm looking for the bright fish of the loss but i find nothing. i'm lost. i'm interested in embassy and there is no law neither in the sun-dappled's shadow of the depth. there are only men could i see only faces today see gordon here by aussie. general john dewitt with his ribbons and medals.
12:09 am
american soldiers standing in the camp guard towers across the specific beaches. and congress and the department of justice. here's how to decide a constitutional case justice roberts once said. latest at alongside the constitution and see if they fit but he must have been joking i think now. there's no law that will decide this case. the only question is how would you trust to get these people are dangerous they can be excluded and if they are loyal they cannot. they're the faces in the story and the voices in the breeze. whose word we accept? the japanese or lawyer -- loyal. there were knots of sabotage. there have been none in hawaii. evacuation mr. van by fear-mongering. we did not know said the department of justice. we could not know. they worship the emperor to god. they send their children to japan for schooling. if no sabotage occurred my not that mean they were gathering for concerted blow? of the equation was a reasonable
12:10 am
measure. it's milder than the drafts. the pacific coast states take a stronger tone to these people are disloyal they say. they're not like us. they do not assimilate. they have their own religion their own language schools. they send tinfoil home before pearl harbor. for the vaccination there were radio signals from the coast and lights flashing messages to ships at sea. on the loyalty questionnaire they admitted it all. [applause] >> thank you. we will adjourn and there is a reception and several stacks of looks that are available for purchase. it's been a great time and a great discussion. thank you very much. [applause]
12:11 am
[inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations] >> michael grimm or what is the takes their library? >> henry clay folger and his wife emily bolger had a big idea which is the original sources
12:12 am
for shakespeare in his world would be of value to everyone in perpetuity so they collected those materials and they put them here two blocks into the u.s. capitol as a get to the nation. >> host: why washington d.c.? >> guest: they felt was an international city. it's our capital and this was a truly national and international asset so in addition to putting this marvelous collection here they created this remarkable building which has the first north american theater. it has a beautiful great hault of where and which is modeled on hampton court in another beautiful almost medieval room. >> host: who are the folgers? >> guest: mr. soldier -- folger was present at standard oil and made his fortune as an oilman to what he was running standard oil of quietly acquired the greatest shakespeare collection in the world bar none including 82 copies of the
12:13 am
16,231st folio. those who we are going to hear that term throughout this interview. what is that? >> guest: the first folio is the collection of 36 shakespeare plays published by two of shakespeare's friends who knew him. without that book which was published in 1623 we probably wouldn't have 18 of shakespeare's plays including mcbath and a 12 night in the winter's tale picks probably the most studied single edition of the book in the world and is also a great connection to shakespeare this writer that is still used by scholars today. posts of that was put together seven years after his death. >> guest: exactly right. >> host: how many of those exist and how many were printed and how makes this? >> guest: there were probably 700 copies of the first folio printed and there are 233 known copies of this book. one just turned up last year in
12:14 am
france but the folger has 82 in its collection. that is by far the largest number in any one place and the folgers collected because they knew that every copy was different. the printers corrected this book as was printed and they put the book together. they took from this pile in that pile so mr. and mrs. bolger new if we wanted to get at the best version of shakespeare's plays in this book we would have to adhere them. >> host: michael whitmore here at the folger at the items you have an display available to the public? >> guest: yes they are. anyone can see the first folio of the folger. we are free and open to the public on holidays but we were created in order to share this remarkable collection so that's what we do. >> host: how many people of
12:15 am
the upcoming hear? >> guest: we have about 80,000 people come here and when you come here you can see at first folio in the corner of our great hall. you can also see one of our shakespeare plays performed in the first theater north american if you are qualified reader and and -- you can commend her reading rooms in request items from the hundreds of thousands of items that we have in our collection downstairs. >> host: is the reading room restricted to scholars? >> guest: the reading room is restricted to people and have a good reason to use it. if you are not a professional scholar needed to consult something we would open our materials to you. >> host: is the folger collection on line? >> guest: about 60,000 items are what we call page openings on line in this beautiful high-quality digital images. so one of our missions is to
12:16 am
open that collection to people who want to visit is virtually. we also starting a project to make searchable about 130,000 pages of our manuscript collection so manuscript is handwritten material. it's hard to decipher and we are inviting others to join in a car car -- crowdsourcing initiative to look at those on line and we will teach you how to decipher the writing. you will decipher it and you will add to our collection. >> host: michael whitmore william shakespeare when did he live and when did he die? >> guest: he was born in the mid-16th century and he died in 1616. that's why this year we are celebrating the at anniversary of his death. he was well-known. there are hundreds of references to shakespeare that occurred during his lifetime and one of the things we have done this here is to gather the documents that really connect this to shakespeare the man, the talk of
12:17 am
people about shakespeare whether it's in print or it's noted on paper, we wanted to get that all in one place so this year show called life as an icon is our attempt to bring that together so people really can't see what an impact this writer had on the people around him. >> which argued -- we are in the display hall right now. what is the architecture of this hall and let's walk through the display. >> guest: what you were looking at his tudor great hall. it's the kind of room he would put in a large family estate. it's actually something you would use for exercise. that's why it's long. usually windows would be open to a garden and you would put your painting collection in this room. i was actually what this room was designed to look at but after 1932 we realized full daylight is not good for rare materials. so we decided to limit the
12:18 am
amount of light in this space. it's different from what you would see in england but is still grand. you've this very high ceiling. the city lock in length. it's also the tudor strap work. >> host: with william shakespeare have been comfortable in this room? >> guest: yes, he would. he would have known exactly what kind of room this is an something we are learning about him, he did purchase a home in stratford called new place which is quite a fancy pile in his hometown. one of the things the archaeologists suspected he did was knock down some of the bedrooms that he could create a gallery. they must have liked prunes like this. it was either he who did it or a member of his family but he would have recognized this kind of room. >> let's look at some of the displays you have here.
12:19 am
>> guest: i just mentioned this grand house in stratford. shakespeare needed to do something that we were call -- would call a title search which is to make sure he had clear titles of the property that he thought with the earnings he had from his theater career. we are going to go over here. these are two halves of something that is called an indenture and when this document was executed, the two sides of the deal or the agreement looked at either side which is the identical term on each side. one is read aloud and the others check to make sure the terms of the deal are identical and then it's cut with a wavy line so if there's ever a dispute you say show me the other side of this and we will check it. it was a fascinating early modern anti-fraud device that
12:20 am
was used when shakespeare decided to check whether he had clear title to this property and here the third piece, these two were capped by shakespeare and the other party in the agreement read shakespeare would have held one of the pieces of salomon's hand. he would have kept it in his home with all this other important papers. >> host: the title to the house. >> guest: this is one of the things that he saved. he didn't sign this because he didn't need to. the scribes had to create this other counterfoil which has never been next to the original piece of element it was a part of. this came over to us from london and we are bringing pieces together for the first time. it's a nice simple for what this exhibition is because never have so many documents directly connected to shakespeare ever been in one place and this is in
12:21 am
centuries. i doubt they will ever be gathered together again so the ability to bring together a congregation or fellowship of documents is this remarkable moment of connection with this writer and that's why we really want to share it. it's so precious to have this ability to show it. the other thing i would say is we have chosen to create this on line resource with the assistance information of our partners plus 30 other institution so that we can show 400 of these documents in high-volume images and we have actually transcribed them so you can search them. it's called called shakespeare documented in a dig you will be the first and most important stop for people trying to understand shakespeare's biography. we have made this freely available with the help of our partners and that's going to be one of the surviving legacies in this particular initiative. >> host: what do some of your
12:22 am
british partners think about the fact that dave folger shakespeare library has one of the largest collections in the world? >> guest: shakespeare is probably one of the most important if not the most important cultural exports from great britain. shakespeare is a global phenomenon. there are more films made about shakespeare in india than there are in the united states and britain combined so the ability to make the connections with the united states, as a way of embodying this ongoing relationship between the two countries. turns out to be important so we do have regularly diplomatic gatherings here at the folger. the ambassador's house who customarily served on our board but it's important because it shows this ongoing cultural connection. the other thing i would say his americans really discovered shakespeare in the 18th and 19th centuries and made this
12:23 am
writer thereon. he was like someone you could turn to when you were in uncertain times. you were trying to think about your aspirations are tough decisions americans are making after the civil war were during the civil rights. there's something about the way this writer tells stories and a powerful language. americans felt like they could just grab that and use it themselves. i think of shakespeare as the kind of uncle that we turn to when we need to have a conversation of the cant with family, with our closest family. their something good about the fact that shakespeare wasn't an american. he never came to this country and that gives us a lot more latitude when they want to say i think this reminds me of mcbath or when you watch the house of cards and you say that beth, lady macbeth or when a member
12:24 am
of congress like senator byrd used to do both shakespeare on the floor of the senate. >> host: who was king or queen during shakespeare's life and did that include -- guess the shakespeare was alive during the rain of queen elizabeth and the rain of king james the first and when those brains, when the succession happened in the scottish king used to be james the sixth, shakespeare had to change his theatrical pat -- practice. he needed to fly to that monarch so for example in the play of macbeth there's a procession of kings and when james watched that performance he would have been seeing his own ancestors in this play and they would have perfect -- reflected well on him. he was aware of his political audience.
12:25 am
that's interesting because we live in washington and washington is a political city which you know so well. shakespeare was careful as a writer. he didn't want to offend his noble patrons or the monarchs but he also was such a good storyteller that he could get himself into the territory that might have been uncomfortable for someone who is directly addressing the king or the queen something you just can't say to a monarch but shakespeare wrote a play called richard the second about a monarch who had to get over his crown to someone who has forced him to be deposed. that talk about a controversial idea. you couldn't suggest that about sitting monarch but you could show it in a play. shakespeare had away of getting into that tricky territory by using storytelling. [laughter] what else do you want to show us? >> guest: let me show you.
12:26 am
>> host: is open until march march 22 but people wanted to come and see this after march 27 27 -- 22nd. >> guest: that's why we created created shakespeare document speak to that s'more of record of this exhibition. there are 400 items that are shakespeare documents are shakespeare documents to be good if shakespeare document.org you will be able to see all of this material. let me show you another item which i think is very interesting. over here we are going to have to watch out for the light here. this is a page of what many believe to be shakespeare's handwriting. it's called this or thomas moore manuscript. it's written in something called the secretary and which is a particular type of handwriting that shakespeare knew. it's also difficult to decipher if you haven't had experience
12:27 am
looking at that type of writing. it's part of a play called sir thomas moore that we think shakespeare wrote because of the style and there've been computer tests to ask how much does this particular style remember -- resemble shakespeare but what's remarkable is it the full passage about rested today and is so timely for you to think about the e.u.'s struggling to accommodate all of these people who put their lives and their children on the scene in hopes of winning a very dangerous place this speech from sir thomas moore asked the question why would you put your family at risk and bet on disease when it turns out this thing on land by being more dangerous. we have this marvelous power of old passage written by shakespeare and the peace that is possibly written in his own hand. it is one of the most valuable documents in the world and we
12:28 am
are very lucky to have this document here united states. it is never traveled out of the u.k. u.k. and appear until the end of march. >> host: you say this document may have been written by william shakespeare himself rated y..you know? does his writing exists anywhere? >> guest: that's a really good question. we have confidence that we have six signatures of shakespeare. >> host: in the world? >> guest: in the world. not at the folger. this folger does not own any signatures. our colleagues and britain have legal documents that have shakespeare signatures on them. when you think about that there are only so many letters to one signature and when you sign your name you may not find it the same way that you would write a letter to someone because you do it often. that means if you want to authenticate a whole page of writing and say it's shakespeare's writing you really only have a couple of letters
12:29 am
for your comparison. for that reason we would say it is very tough to establish a particular piece of writing is beyond a doubt by william shakespeare but this is a very suggestive example. it's hard to rule it out and it is by list it truly looks a lot like shakespeare so we tend to think of it as one of those world treasures that very well might be. >> host: who was sir thomas moore? >> guest: sir thomas moore was a humanist who was active in the 16th century. he was catholic and you wrote the books that we now call utopia. he thought about politics. he thought about the rule and he was someone that shakespeare knew from history and someone he wrote about. >> host: and this here is part of a play. >> guest: that's right. to right. the play and this is a speech from that play.
12:30 am
the reason the light is so low here is that poor are books of our lending partners we have what is called a light budget paid that means we will not expose a given island -- item to lighting constantly monitoring how much light is round this book. >> host: you are monitoring this in real-time. >> guest: we have computer readouts that shows is the average might apply when it starts one of those because this writing which is any kind of iron and is going to fade if you put it under light. the reason why we want to limit it is we want looks to be able to read these pages centuries from now. >> host: where's the monitor? >> guest: the monitor is under under -- and the readout is at the bottom. ..
12:31 am
>> >> it is really hard to explain the quadrupled lightning strike of william shakespeare how could somebody be so good at the
12:32 am
motions and so will read that makes the world how could he do the political balancing act? huckabee be so successful in the theater? in the industry that was developing so he is a remarkable figure. his outside effects have created and to have a lot of information about him during this period and that is why we assembled these documents. but it is interesting to us the result is something more you can learn about this writer. the curator has discovered errors how letters were transcribed what is on the back of that piece of paper? where did it come from?
12:33 am
those questions which are the kind that inexperienced document person who knows about the handwriting to take a long look at this record so we feel very confident but also a resource for those about the writer we don't have to swear an oath of allegiance. but the collection is still not fully explored. those that were fritz's bacon hopes of an inquiry into the documents.
12:34 am
>> would you say to folks who like me or others who have not been able to access shakespeare? >> i say two things. first you can access shakespeare and he may know more about you the and you do yourself. there is an editorial about the importance of the humanities and said there are insights into we are that shakespeare captured he didn't write them in the obscure treatise but is the oldest art form that we have and if you can see one of these you will see people that you recognize. may be really understand 20% or 30 percent joined the
12:35 am
club it is beautifully dense with energetic expression. but that 20 percent is fantastic. you may already know some of it because of the phrases are already in our vocabulary. they become famous on stage here, get a political headline joe biden had his hamlet moment that is a famous play. you understand that bided has this decision to make.
12:36 am
>> are you a shakespeare scholar? >> i am. before i came here i was a professor who taught shakespeare was a graduate and undergraduate student one of the reasons why i came to folger was this is a great place to share what was so exciting about the humanities. but then two blocks east of the u.s. capitol the most widely read author on the planet how these characters and stories don't matter. >> you mention the reading room. the active readers are working this is late medieval and renaissance architecture.
12:37 am
and the patterns in dusty glass are modeled on the church of his home town of stratford and we have a bust of shakespeare that is a model of the one from trinity church for you is buried and a brass plaque in behind that for the ashes of mr. and mrs. folger. it is interesting that makes them the only people buried on capitol hill. and we don't bury americans as next to the seat of power we like to keep people away from the center of power so it is ironic because they own the building and this was their gift to the nation they chose to have their ashes placed your.
12:38 am
>> what goes on in this room? was filled with researchers they're coming from universities there writing books, but they are digging and. i think of them going on a 400 years of immersion in this space you will look around the summer with their head down. they are surfacing from the fourth century died in to the past and the emerging. but then the imagination you have to have to reconstruct this. he can show it.
12:39 am
>> a tourist scheme by which to come in here? is that possible? you can come through on a saturday with the space of a tour but to continue the permission. >> what does that take? >> to letters of reference to say that the person really does need to use the collection. it does have to last another four centuries so we needed recent. >> allot are in this room. i am citing about the keys. she is the keeper. and no reader in this space
12:40 am
because we provide the greatest access and in the security will walk us down. >> now we're going belowground? >> several floors below ground level. we have a vault that runs almost the full length of a city block and that is where we keep career may scripps. >> were these manuscripts collected by the soldiers before they died? >> they started but we have
12:41 am
been collecting over 80 years what has been growing there is more to find and then we acquire it we take pictures and putting our mind or give it to scholars. we are back at the 1932 bank vaults is extremely heavy. we have a whole team here. so we will go right to into here to take another floor below.
12:42 am
this will give very bloody experience what it means to go through the fault. with this base in addition to be highly controlled and chile it is also only several hundred yards a walk for me 95 percent of the documents i will read in my working life for a shakespeare scholar or somebody studying the renaissance once you stand here you have to contemplate your mortality because there's so much that you can read and it is that, of book so important to me could be 15 yards down on the right but a lesson know is there i will never see a.
12:43 am
there is the infinity of doors and pathways to go down for just those that matter to you. >> i assume there are cameras on us? >> yes. if we turn on the light we're controlled for temperature and humidity. can we have to keep them dry a major threat to a book that is for it to get wet. one of the ways we deal with that if there were a water incident we would freeze the books it is easier to solve a book out page by page then control to make a quick pile and hope they don't get any
12:44 am
more what so we do have protocols how we would deal with that emergency or mold which would be another threat or fire or smoke the that is something we actively plan for. >> have you ever had an incident like that? >> we have not with the fire but we did have a leak and that was a real threat we had to move the material and then we needed to insulate the faults because it turns out there was an underground river going around that area so the fault had to be resealed and we receive the money from the federal government to help us make that transition so that help to save the collection. >> now i will show you several items i thought you and your viewers would to enjoy. first i will start with the first folio. >> host: show the cover.
12:45 am
this is the first polio that we talk about published seven years after his death. >> 1623 the most complete single volume record of his work ended is important his friends assembled it because they probably had a better idea what shakespeare thought was important to say here are comedy history and tragedy that helps us as literary critics. this engraving it was missing from some copies it is very valuable in then to say this is a likeness of that man. and then it was a person to person familiar connection
12:46 am
how many world wide collection? >> to do 33. >> of somebody wanted to buy one what does it cost? period there are very few first folio in private hands complete copies can go between five and $6 million it is very valuable. >> host: there are some around the country? >> we realize the matters when you come face-to-face with a source if we could safely take it to all 50 states and territories which is happening now someone has proposed marriage and the jazz funeral for shakespeare is coming in new orleans.
12:47 am
so the ways that people react to be inspired by the fact want to see it face-to-face. >> host: what else? >> a smaller version of his play folio really means that a single sheet of paper on one side than the other then the bookmaker folds the sheet and then day so it together but this way it is folded twice in you cut the edges so it is a smaller format and cheaper to produce behalf of his plays appeared in this format before the first folio was printed. so that means there are multiple editions of shakespeare's plays.
12:48 am
>> in the language? >> so here we have mr. william shakespeare his true history of the life-and-death of "king lear" and his three daughters. in the first folio not described as a history but the tragedy. if you are creating an edition of this play you have to decide for yourself what to call it because there are two conflicting versions. if you're doing in addition of family u.s. several additions and one of those quarto editions it could be so different it is ways to capture the performance in a
12:49 am
way to transcribe them in the audience. and to create editions of the plays one of the things that happen at the folger is we have created the folger edition using the collections the best-selling high-school edition in the united states almost 90 percent of american high-school students are reading a shakespeare play but what we found and then are freely available. that means we put a copy of the complete work with every person's backpack all around the world. i have to favor please my
12:50 am
first think it is beautifully built it is like clockwork i love the main character that is a great improviser that is what gets her through the tough spots per probe i love the winners tale but it was written late in shakespeare's career i think it is a beautiful play mitt for adults although it feels like a fairy tale to tell the story white people should continue to have hope or love for reconciliation and forgiveness but probably will not happen. >> host: to be or not to be that is the question. what does that mean? [laughter] >> i struggled with that because i had to write a panel for our travel edition. i think what hamlet is saying to wake up every day
12:51 am
and a half to ask myself so any person who has made it what is it that makes me get up? and very easily could become a person that doesn't exist anymore. maybe it is just a thought experiment but he is talking himself with life and then you hear a person talk himself through the decision and then to over here the process.
12:52 am
>> host: here from the archives. >> and the folio printed earlier but this edition was censored by a jesuit. who said these passengers are find but these are somewhat challenging. as long as we don't do it for a long time we're fine if we have the right page highlighted and then carefully opened the of book to another page you can see the film cradles are here to reach a little strip the binding. if you come here to look at these passages that has been
12:53 am
expunged by the sensor. this is the end of a play the set of speeches that passages here who will become queen elisabeth. it is a controversial figure in the post reformation fought. so much of that is perfectly fine pad this is the marvelous document that i cannot sanction this but people have been sent -- censoring shakespeare for a long time. >> he plays blue and purple.
12:54 am
he has laid out some of the most challenging what bell love and desires are is out there. if you write like "king lear" to be an optimist i don't thank you can. and is it could force for the world and looking at in the i the answer is maybe not. that is of the answers you get from the plays but the big question why do people follow one another? the things they think they want to are really not. wire people so successful leading them to a place or
12:55 am
why are they so self-defeating? and the path is rocky because of the same thing over and over and shakespeare got that. and did not hold back. he wrote about that. new have kings and criminal. >> our selection and covers much more then shakespeare of the entire english renaissance and to the 14
12:56 am
seventies through the 17 thirties this is part of the road we're standing in now this is a copy of cicero but this happen to belong to henry the eighth king henry the eighth divorced and be headed this copy is he annotated in says this book is mined. just a you know, . >> host: you can access this? >> you can see this online by visiting our web site but if you are reader year. so people need to look at
12:57 am
the real thing. you can learn so much by looking at digital scanner. to see how this annotated and gives them the information because then you prefer face-to-face. the more you work with them and just how things are put together. >> we'll show you a couple more things. this is queen elisabeth to the first bible given to her and was probably used in her chapel so it has a beautiful
12:58 am
red velvet cover it has the roses and heard identifying mark here to say she is the queen. but this has actually been texture. and when i think about this book, this is the equivalent of the cathedral that it is tremendously complicated the mountain of learning the you have to develop to the point where you can create a book like this is tremendous
12:59 am
because it is a monument is fabulously complicated you have to learn how to handle classical languages all that creates the pitiful object -- beautiful object. >> this is still 400 years later. >> a wonderful example of he and tinted earthy modern printing. it is an alice -- atlas love the theater of the world in these figures representing africa here.
1:00 am
then what is done here with the copper plate that has been etched with a high quality print. which because that he isn't a coloring would show you this one this is europe summit is known well but you can see the cathedral the national borders at the time it was created. >> host: this is pretty accurate. >> is.

6 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on