Skip to main content

tv   Key Capitol Hill Hearings  CSPAN  June 18, 2016 6:00am-8:01am EDT

6:00 am
6:01 am
6:02 am
6:03 am
6:04 am
6:05 am
6:06 am
6:07 am
6:08 am
6:09 am
6:10 am
6:11 am
6:12 am
6:13 am
6:14 am
6:15 am
6:16 am
6:17 am
6:18 am
6:19 am
6:20 am
6:21 am
6:22 am
6:23 am
6:24 am
6:25 am
6:26 am
6:27 am
6:28 am
6:29 am
6:30 am
6:31 am
6:32 am
6:33 am
6:34 am
6:35 am
6:36 am
6:37 am
6:38 am
6:39 am
6:40 am
6:41 am
6:42 am
6:43 am
6:44 am
6:45 am
6:46 am
6:47 am
6:48 am
6:49 am
6:50 am
6:51 am
6:52 am
6:53 am
6:54 am
6:55 am
.
6:56 am
6:57 am
6:58 am
6:59 am
>> katy joined fox news channel in 2013 and served as rotating panelist on outnumbers and network contributor. providing analyst, and commentary across fox daylight and prime time programming. in addition to her role at fox news she's the news editor for town hall.com, and to town hall magazine, and award-winning authors of "the new york times" best seller, fast and furious barack obama's bloodiest scandal
7:00 am
and shameless cover up. also the author about the truth about left and war on women assault and flattering as a reporter she's coffered a range of topics including white house scandals, the 2012 presidential election, the second amendment and border issues. she graduated with a b.a. in broadcast journalism from the university of arizona and is a national review washington fellow. [applause] >> and i would like to say a special thank you to katy who has been part of this organization for a few years now. she came to the conference 7 years ago now as a student so in the same position as all of you. she came to the conferences eager to learn more. she was interning at the time at town hall and ended up writing this story about the conference and as we've heard from our
7:01 am
panelist today, she took the time to work really hard, write a lot of articles. she interned in washington d.c.. and she really worked hard and worked her way up to as we heard from emma in her introduction now fox news contradict contradict tore and great writer and thrilled to have her pleased to bring up katy organization of new. thank you katy. [applause] >> hello everybody. i hope you brought your questions or or else i'll call on you like a professor in class. i don't to be that. i want to talk about my experience with new and some of you i've met. an intern for me last summer or summer before, yeah is she's back. she was here last year. and i want to give karen a bunch of praise because for her to grow this organization that she started as a book club in 2004 and to what it is now, truly is an accomplishment.
7:02 am
there are a lot of organizations in washington, d.c. and there's certainly a lot of womens organizations that get built up and they don't necessarily grow into what kara has given to all of you today, and on that note new without all of the young activist in the women on our college campuses not only taking the step to start a chapter. but being brave enough to stand up to the status quo on campuses and to really show people and show their peers that they have an opinion. it matters, and that they're not alone in their opinion. new really offers a safe space for young women on campus who happen to be conservatives who reject this, quote pro-choice atmosphere on college campuses who reject hookup cool oture that's what new is all about. it's about intellectual engagement, it's about even talking about differences and opinions that we may have is on the conservative side. of course there's been differences between libertarian
7:03 am
and conservatives and we welcome everyone into that conversation. and i was here 7 years ago. actually, at one of the first if it wasn't the first new conference and we were downstairs in a tiny little room with -- a conference table and speakers came in and look what we have today. you're here this is a conference and retreat happening in july now double the attendance that it did last year so we're justs is growing and we appreciate all of the students on campus who are doing what they can to be more inclusive and to be more diverse, and offer different avenues for women to learn about different philosophical arguments and things like that. so i came to washington, d.c. in 2010. i've been living here as a young professional it's been a very busy time. i always talk about how working in d.c. is like working in dog years. one feels like 7 you pack so
7:04 am
much into a year and learn so much in a year. you know i had some experience as a working young professional at this point not a whole lot but i get questions when i visit college campuses from young women like you about the way things work in d.c. and how do i land my first job and do an internship and gain a mentor. what should i be doing with my spare time so i wanted to come here today and answer questions that you may have about coming to the big city which is, of course, one of the most important powerful cities not only in the country. but in the world. so i'll start taking your questions you have a u few. and front here. right here. >> i thank you so much for being here today my name is ella biggens and question is as a successful women and journalism and public eye, how did you gain the confidence and expertise to effective lier speak on
7:05 am
controversial issues. >> i think i certainly gained the confidence through my mother. [laughter] she -- definitely did not raise me in a way that was meek. i have a lot of strong women in my family and i owe a lot to her or for setting an example for me. but also i think that really understanding being confident in my own ideas and beliefs really kind of gave me the courage to speak out. i started my activism on my college campus. i actually do a radio show every single week. local radio show and we talked about for an hour all of the things that were going on around campus. so that also gave me some confidence because there were people outside of campus who weren't students who were willing to give me a chance to kind of share what i disagreed with with what was happening but in terms of a young professional women. you have to do your job, and confident and prepared for what you're dealing with.
7:06 am
and in materials of being an expert, you know, i'm in the kwr50ed. so i'd say people including myself sometime who is think they're experts of things that maybe about they're not. but i think always being prepared and doing your research and understanding argument not just on your side but from the other side is a good way not only to be confident in what you're presenting but also to really be solid in terms of the facts that line up with your philosophical beliefs and a little some of the things that maybe you need to make a stronger argument about in the future. here in the back or middle i guess -- hi thank you for being here my name is nicole we're interns how do you transition as being seen as intern and more seifsly then as a young professional woman? >> i would take as a young professional woman piece of it out.
7:07 am
i don't think that you should portray yourself as a young professional wombing but probably portray yourself as a young professional who happens to be working in office type environment or whatever other environment that you may be working in. and in terms of getting yourself taken seriously ill recommend doing multiple internships when i hire i'm looking for job experience an what they can bring to the table to be an asset to our newsroom rather than maybe looking at someone who i need to kind of teach more to for example. of course o internships are all it be learning so i don't expect a whole lot of experience but a skillset to your first job after a variety of internships you're more likely to get hired. in terms of getting taken seriously in the internship that you're in, always doing work on time not having to be told twice how to do things especially when had it comes to administrative things look for example, if
7:08 am
you're the a page internship don't forget to stamp your time card, for example. doing things like that making sure details rpght something your supervisor has to remind you about. your supervisor wants to be able to help you grow. help you take advantage of an opportunity and give you more responsibility rather than i keep hit hadding this -- more responsibility that's the reason you're an intern. so if you can prove to them to trust you with a certain project that's how taken my seriously so doing jobs that you're given do them well. asking is for more work and then whatty think is actually helpful is if you finds yourself in a particular internship that may be end at the end of the summer but you feel like you want to work there and block there and happen to go back to school for a year ask if you can maybe do internship that's remote for example when i was in college i did an internship for town hall where i work now, and between junior and senior jeer, i
7:09 am
continued my summer internship and writing from tucson, arizona so i had an expanded internship so i was on their radar because i really wanted to work there. at end of the year once i graduatessed they were willing to make a space for me so i can come back and brought on full-time. so being willing to work and expand your internship is a is a good way to get your foot in the door. questions -- anyone. over here. >> my name is katie lively from george university excuse me while i wrote it on my phone it was a complex question. >> millennial or generation below us now. >> okay. something myself and the other girls as well in my group have talked about is why we don't speak out on things. a lot of young conservative girls don't voice their opinion
7:10 am
because they're fear fling they don't know everything on topic even after extensive research they've done. how do you get to the conclusion that you're versed enough to publicly speak about it? what tactics do you use when other side turns away from facts to emotions and starts personally attacking you? how do you bring them back to the facts? >> well i wouldn't be afraid to i think that the issue is more about being afraid to speak out rather than not having information you need. you mentioned that you done the research. you have an argument to make. you have facts on your side so you need a little bit of a push to make the argument. if you don't have all of the answers which nobody does by the way, best response to that is say look, i don't necessarily know everything about that topic but i'm glad that we're debating it and happy to do more research about it. but this is what i do know and then back to what you do know. in terms of being called names and emotions being used --
7:11 am
i'm not sure if you can ever bring certain sec or force of the left back to the facts. this week in the wake of the orlando terrorist attack is a very good example of how deranged emotion has become and far away we've gone from the facts. to push agenda, so in materials of bringing people who are calling you names and getting emotional, to understand your argument, at some point you need to make your case and walk away. but those aren't people you're trying to influence but trying to influence young woman in your class who maybe you know has a disagreement or maybe doesn't know what side of the political aisle that she's on or believes. but she's willing to check it out because you heard she heard you stand up for something that you believe in. and is willing to learn more. those are the kinds of people you want to reach out to and, of course, you have to battle far left. but there are some sectors that are kind of a lost cause and your job is to find women on
7:12 am
campus who feel alone. feel like they want to explore some kind of philosophy in terms of how women on chair campus feel, and tack to them about the facts that you're disutionz. those are the types of people who you cannot only bring in and a feel welcome but maybe change their mind. again -- back to you. >> hi katie i'm christa from american university, one of the questions i had is when you you're doing an interview on tv, or even for a newspaper magazine, and they're clearly trying to push you to answer a certain way, what tips do you have for us so that we can stay on message? an not let this kind of retort distract us or make us say something that may get blown up in the media? >> actually i have a really good
7:13 am
example this that happened to me in the fall. i got invited by students from second amendment to give a speech on the second amendment and same week i wases going up there to give this talk, i made it been appearance on kelly file when i wrote a piece about black lives matter and criticized them as advocating for the killing of police officers because they were wearing t-shirts that said that taught me that refers to a shot to a convicted cop chiller who killed a new jersey state trooper in the late 1970s escaped prison in the early 1980s. fled to cuba and still living there today. i also pointed out in the piece that they were chanting things like pigs in a blanket fry them like bacon is a direct reference to dead police and body bags. so i wrote the piece. i had this heated argument with a black lives advocate on the kelly file, of course, with
7:14 am
social media the movement found out about it and they found out that i was going to be speaking at the university of delaware. so long story short, there's a protest outside. there was a protest inside but it was quiet and peaceful. and then after the event even though i was there egg speer at the second amendment i didn't mention it in my speech or address the, quote, controversy i had caused rather than them -- for what they've been advocating for -- i did some interviews backstage with local media and student paper and every question i received wasn't about what i said about second amendment or asking about the group that brought me there and work that the students for second amendment had done to get me on campus. all of the questions were about being protested by the black lives matter group, and why i was -- how i felt about saying things that had offended them.
7:15 am
so i didn't even answer the question. what i said was look here specifically for second amendment and that's why i'm here and these are the things they talked about so i didn't answer the question because iftion irrelevant to the event. so i think taking the question and centering it back to the topic of what you were there for -- or ?ring centering it back to an issue maybe that media is trying to do opposite and push in a certain direction so centering back to what had focus is because a lot of times deflection and distraction away -- okay yellow good color. i know you . [inaudible] >> i'm tai or color and question i have and i'm sure you have a lot of to say about it as fellow fierce second amendment cider i would like to know your comment on the federal appeals court in san francisco saying that
7:16 am
there's no constitutional right to carry guns. would love to hear your comments on that. first of all good luck to taking permits around the country that won't be very fun for them to do. second, i think that supreme court has ruled in the opposite. both in mcdonalds verse chicago and second amendment is an individual right, and it's a right that allows you not o only bear articles inside your home but also outside of your home, and even in washington, d.c. which is the most bureaucratic dogmatic, gun control state but i knows it's not a state but really section of the country even worse than chicago, they have in the last year had to reassess their rules on open and conceal carry you can't ban both because it's unconstitutional. if appeals court in san
7:17 am
francisco doesn't want conceal carry maybe we can switch to open carry. i'm not an attorney. but based on what i do know about what has already been upheld about the right to keep and bear arms i doubt ruling will stand in and see it go to the supreme court. and i would add they're putting people at risk by that kind of thinking. yes. [inaudible] >> how did you start your passion and interest this college to advocate for your opinions and politic ideas? >> well, i actually wases one of the college students who went to college because you're supposed to go to college in america. i didn't really know what i wanted to do for my first two years i was a business major which is a total disaster because i can't do math very well. at one point i could but somehow that changed i think in high school and math side of business just did me in. so then i switch over to
7:18 am
political science and i wasn't sure what i wanted to do. i think probably had a little bit of a college i guess that was a quarter life not even quarters life but fifth life crisis, so to speak, and then i finally rediscovered that i had always been interested in politics. i debated some of my teachers in high school about issues they were seeing in our classes and six years old i wrote a letter to bill clinton and unfair for him to be taking our money when we couldn't spend his money type of thing it was probably a articulate argument from a six-year-old. i went to a conference an did an internship with senator jon kyl from arizona who since retired. and i really kind of clicked. i mean, i went into journalism thinking i would be a sideline reporter and then i realized i really like sports that's more of a hobby. politics is where i really
7:19 am
should be and something i'm very passionate about so it took a while but i wont looking in the right place for what i wanted to do so yes right here. the roses. [laughter] >> hi my name is amanda with accuracy and media so as a media professional, you've kind of worked your way up to this level right now. what advice would you give to other media professionals and then second part who or what has kepts you the most grounded? >> first question -- when always when i go to speak to young women like yourselves or other campus student groups i always tell them that if you want a job in politics, you should move to washington, d.c. right after college. it can be scary. it's a big decision especially if you're come all the way across the country. but you're taking a risk that will ultimately pay off for you.
7:20 am
to get where you're going you have to start somewhere. washington, d.c. has a ton of opportunity both in internships but entry level position whether you're working on capitol hill or any number of media outlet or in the city. they're all here, and when you're here, you have so much opportunity to really go and take advantage of everything that's going on. for example, my first bock the fast and furious scandal that kind of just came about because i saw an issue and kind of glommed on to it and was on capitol hill eve week covering the hearings and writing it and that got attention from publisher that then got me into other kind of media organizations online tv radios. so i think coming here when you're young, understanding that your job when you get out of college is to work as hard aside you can and say yes a lot, and to really pay your dues and then once you do that for a couple of
7:21 am
years, you have some choices about what yowpght to do and spend your time on. what was your second question? >> or who -- >> how you have to better humble yourself because if you don't god will, and just this week for example, i was -- we have a new office, so we're not quite used to it yet but all of the windows to offices are glass . [laughter] i was speaking to my boss about to go his conference and ran into the glass because i thought it was the door that was open and all of the interns saw it and laughed. so you know, i said no it's not. but everyone saw it. so i think being able to laugh at yourself is really what keeps you grounded. and i think just really appreciating the small things in life. you know when you cool come to a big city like d.c. easy to get part of what do i get invited to
7:22 am
and who do i know, and whose business card did i get yesterday? but in the end it's the really small things like seeing someone walking down street who may be less fortunate than you are and reminding yourself that you have it pretty good. and that you should appreciate what you have every single day. so keeping little thingings in miewnd. mind. the back -- yeah. jacqueline thomas here interning with the daily collar an my question is what general advice can you give to young individuals going into the excuse me field of journalism kuz i arrived in d.c. three weeks ago and very surprised to what really goes on. i feel look if i would have been warned or prepared more it would have been a smoother transition. >> what do you wish you had a warning for? >> how cut throat it is, and
7:23 am
culture of newsroom particularly. >> sos first piece of advice i would give you is it is like cut throat place that's why not everyone neglectionly survives in washington, d.c. a lot of people come here for a couple of years and then they leave and that's totally fine. not for everyone. but the first piece of advice i would give you is not to take anything urgely. you're there doing a job. you're not there for personal reasons. and if you can learn from the rejections, learn from maybe some short temperaments, and learn how to do your work and learn that you're told no more times than yes. in terms of being successful in internship as i've explained there's so much you can do on capitol hill. there's a hearing almost every week except or for when, of course, is not in session that you can be covered, and even if it's a really, really boring hearing where nobody is going to
7:24 am
be attending it's an opportunity for you as an intern to go and even if it doesn't get published, you practice, you write the story. you were there getting the experience. that's what you should be doing. i remember when i was in college i had a little laptop that i would write stuff on. like a just to write. and it never got published anywhere not on a blog or published in a student newspaper didn't publish it. but it was just practice for me to get better at what i was doing. so understand that even if your stuff doesn't make it to the front page or to the website or to the newspaper, doesn't mean that you know doing its was a waste of time and trying to understand things that you're learning every single day and just get better. brook. >> hi. got to get the mic. >> thank you. i'm brook i go to biola university and my question for you is you say that every year something new and every year so different.
7:25 am
for you, what has been the thing that you've learned the most this year. >> this past year, yeah. >> hmm -- well in terms of the conservative movement it's been a very interesting year. let's just say the least. so i would say i've learned frebl that some of the people that i looked up to i don't know if i do anymore and that's a sad thing to say but it's true . but i've also learned it that this is a huge moment in history. and it's been really interesting to watch and be part of the political process and especially the gop primary. [laughter] and i've learned that when you make a decision to take a stand that you should be proud that you did. and if you have any doubts about doing it then you shouldn't.
7:26 am
and i've taken some pretty controversial positions. iefd say over the past six months against a certain candidate/presumptive nominee. [laughter] and i get asked all of the time whether i regret some of the things that i've said and i don't. so i think that standing up for what you believe in when you're under extreme scrutiny is what i've learned and we have six months to go, so we'll see. >> thank you. >> yes. >> hi i'm emily and i'm naught harvard. my question is how you got involved with or decided to pursue your longer term projects like your book. >> so briefly mentioned before my first bosks a matter i wases ever cooing fast and furious for probably nine months and i got a phone call from a publisher asking me if i had ever thought about maybe writing a book.
7:27 am
so that was a good accident that that happened. i didn't pitch it a publisher and fortunate as they were interested in doing the book. because i was from arizona i kind of understood the issue so first one was a matter of being here, working really hard and you know thank god any work got noticed. but for the second book, and i talk about this actually in the book, about why i wrote the second book. came about because i was sitting at the 2012dnc con vngs covering about war on women and how republicans hate women. how democrats and liberals are you know, the best place for women to be. and during that convention they played not only did sandra speak after bill clinton or before bill clinton one of the nights. but they played a seven minute long tribute video to ted kennedy and they stamp words women rights champion on the video screen.
7:28 am
and they just happen to leave out in this video as a tribute to his life. most controversial part of his life which is when we left a woman to drown in his vehicle because he needed to save his own political career so that washearted for me to take that republicans and mitt romney accused of having a war on women, hating women. while they were promoting someone who sure didn't have a nice record when it came to at least one come in particular not to mention a host of other stories that you can read about. so that's how the second book kind of came about. i really thought that i guess similar to karen's story on campus i didn't feel like thrftion enough pushback on that narrative of conservatives falsely accused of this type of behavior when the left getting away with egregious things while being hypocritical and lying about where we really stand. so that's why this second one came from.
7:29 am
>> hi katie aye alexa. >> great instagram account everyone. someone interestinged in journalism and wants to get involved in political journalism someday, what type of stories do you suggest that younger people write that don't have as much access? >> well, even if you're not living in washington, d.c. you're capable of covering hearings on capitol hill online because a lot of them are live stream so that is something that you can do. on your college campuses there are a number of stories happening every year that you can go out and cover whether it's what the women groups on campus are doing. what the women studies department is doing. what kind of -- what the administration is spending money on. what had kind of stance does the administration taking, what does
7:30 am
the free speech code book look like on your campus? what are some of the policy it is that are this the policy handbook for students. what speak rs are coming to campus what is their background? just to give you a couple of examples from my days in college, you know, at one point they built a border wall across campus to prevent students from getting to class. to make some kind of point about plight of illegal immigrants. another example was in one of my journalism courses we were told we could get extra credit if we want to go see ahmed speak who was a representative for care which has ties to hamas and other terrorist organizations. you know there's stuff like that that you can really report on that doesn't take having deep throat sources to do. so i would start local and then you can kind of build out your resumé that way. right here.
7:31 am
>> hi, my name is katelyn i work with the network and i have a question. what books u would you say most encouraged you or inspired you in your with life and professional life and philosophical experience? >> well, i'd say u rule for radical was a good one that gives you an understanding of what you're dealing and i would recommend that -- many people read that book. fahrenheit 911 was a class egg. let's see i don't know like a sarah palin question? let me think. in terms of you know thomas seoul, of course, o many of his books are ones that i've been influenced by. i'm sure there's a bunch but i haven't read a book in a while.
7:32 am
i have janet signed by buckley that influenced me during my college days inspired me to understand that this is not just left with college or or something that is happening today but been happening for a very long time. there's a book not really a book but kind of a handout that i read as research for my second book that was put out by weather underground with a lot of information in it and that gives you the understand ration to kind of fight back against some of the policies thafn promoted by people like bill arrest for decades and not only bit him but made their way into different -- policy positions and different programs that we actually in our schools throughout the federal government. let's see -- what else? i'm gong to stick with that for thousand. [laughter] in the back. >> i'm diana so you were part of
7:33 am
the never trump interview so i wanted to hear your thoughts on how that moment unfolded more recently and where you thinks it's going in the future. >> i think there's been some miscommunication or misunderstanding about difference between the national review against trump issue. and the u newer never trump movement. the against trump issue actually has a lot of writers a part of it saying look i don't like donald trump but i completely willing to vote for him over hillary clinton. pragueer one of those people a number of people on the list who have openly said they'll be voting for donald trump. i've never discuss thed who i will be voting for and i don't plan on ever doing that. i don't think that at this point the never trump movement unfortunately has much leverage. i find it very interesting over the past probably two or three weeks we've seen a lot of
7:34 am
pushback on some of the rhetoric that's been used panicking among conservative and republicans about how we're going to move forward with trump as the no ma'am nominee you have paul ryan saying he will back donald trump but that he wants everyone else to vote their conscience which is not actually a raving endorsement. but i think it's too late to really to change the situation now. that doesn't mean that people should jump on the trump train but in principle deserve some credit and i can understand why people on the other side are saying look this is the choice that we have. so -- to answer your question i don't think that never trump is necessarily going anywhere. i think that people who are panicking now shaven panicking six months ago. anyone else? >> katie we're so grateful to have you speaking in our network
7:35 am
of enlightened women conference and to a roomful of young conserve women. i've heard you speak about attending another women national conference an wondering if you can talk about that. >> are you speaking about the now conference? >> pim. >> so couple of years when i was doing research for my second book, i and i write about this in the book plug ugh the book read it if you haven't already. i wanted to go to national for women organization conference in chicagoing. for a couple of reasons, first of all i was doing research. i wanted to get firsthand experience with some of the people who i was writing a book about, and second, i was going to know in chicago ground zero for left as progressive activism in the united states not only today but also if dating back to the 19 60s bill and his wife teaching at the university of chicago and i believe northwestern.
7:36 am
so it is kind of great ground zero and community organizing so i applied for press credentials and like three days before the conference i get an e-mail back saying thank you so much for serving your credential request but it has been denied. and so -- [laughter] i wrote back and said well -- as a female you know playing the female card, credential member because i have congressional press pass member of the press i'm just curious as to why you would deny any press credential l. no response so i have my plane ticket. i had my hotel so going to show up anyway, an a i did, so i show up and so now i'm going to go undercover before i was being open about the fact that i was with the press. but i showed up and i think i stood out a little bit. [laughter] everyone was very nice but not a
7:37 am
lot of energy in the rooming. they certainly weren't doing the kind of things that you guys are doing on campus and don't holding same philosophy as you do. and seems to me they're holding on to this third way feminism they've started and really promoting ideas that no longer are relevant to speak so-called women's movement today. so most women are pro-life in terms of late term abortion and we're seeing women trend more in a pro-life direction and a majority of women believe some restriction on abortion and there's debate about when had and all of that kind of thing. but this conference, these women were handing out abortion on demand stickers and you know, really promoting that kind of lifestyle and philosophy that i think was left behind a very long time ago. but the most interesting thing
7:38 am
that i found there was you know i expected abortion stuff. i expected the, you know prowoman stuff, obviously. which i think they have a different perspective on what it means to be prowoman than we do. but what i found was interesting is what they were selling at the conference. and things that i purchased there. they were selling karl mark's communist manifesto they were selling that, purchased that there. they were selling rules for socialism. and teachings for socialist book that i purchased and they were selling a variety of other books by authors who were you know dedicated their entire life to karl mark teaching and reiterating through their own remarks and books. so when i read through all of the that what i found was they've actually had had a long-term ball game in terms of u how they've hijacked women movement and some of the ideas
7:39 am
that we see today with the whole, you know, life of julia i know if you remember that. but it's basically if governments taking care of women from burt to death. a lot of that is actually promoted in this material which was, you know, published actually in the 70s and 80s. so that i thought was most interesting part about what they found in that conference. so -- other question -- how do you think as individual can fight narrative of women being victims? >> using their own argument against them is a really good way to fight their idea of victimhood for women. for example, if you're a proponent this is one example out of many but if you're an advocate for seconds amendment and women able to defend themselves, and third way feminism would argue that you know you should be antigun your
7:40 am
response is well isn't it that feminism advocates for women to be individuals and to be able to take care of themselves that's exactly what i'm doing. why are you forcing me to be rea little reliant on the government police or for my own protection and safety? isn't feminism all it be being a individual and able to take care of myself whether it's economic, my personal safety or choices that i make? and i would really kind of throw that question back at them. any time they advocate for you to be dependent on something easy argument is feminism is about being independent, why are we advocating for dependency. especially on the government. in the back -- >> what are your suggestions for us to motivate students who are politically a apathetic with full.
7:41 am
>> i would mac the issue very personal for example if you know some bernie sanders supporting hipster who is like to make craft beer which i do you should point out the fact that government now wanting to regulate craft beer to the point that it will make craft brewing as an individual illegally and planting these -- so you don't have to make a big argument the to them. planting little seeds where they start questioning why they're advocating for something and how it affects them will ultimately change their mind only they go research that issue issue but others that affect them. another good xamplet is on campus we're seeing this horrible bds movement boycott of israeli goods, and when you have students out there not froesing but neither condemning or condoning the protest isn't it
7:42 am
funny they're protesting israeli goods when they're all on an aye iphone half were made in israel and they'll think about that for a second an might start getting involved so really just planting seeds of how things act them is a really good way to get apathetic people involved. anyone else? >> right there. >> sorry. >> ever a time that you questioned your ideology and strengthened your views? >> i don't know if i've ever questioned my ideology. i think that to use a term that barack obama has used -- i probably evolved on certain issues and one way or the other. i'm much more pro-life now than i think than when i was 18 years old o. because just like everyone else i learn more about the issue. i used to think of abortion as just a thing that you know it's not really big deal.
7:43 am
i learned more about it and much stronger view points on it now. i think i probably evolved on the issue of gay major. and ting that everyone position on that comes from experience religious, or people who you know who are gay. i think i probably e involved a little bit on that, and that's politics, though. that's political philosophy your views change baitiond on your own personal experiences. strong advocate for second amendment so views own that will probably never change but never questioned you know never questioned liberal conserveative but always been a conservative. in the front. >> hello thank you for being with us this afternoon i'm victoria from university of
7:44 am
kansas, and today we've talked a lot about networking, mentorship an professional development and i was wondering is there a moment in your career that you consider to be defining? >> yes. i think there are two moments in my career that really kind of -- well there's a lot of defining moments i'll start with ones that really kind of launched me into i guess -- getting started initially that's where all of you guys are today. so in college, i you know my parents were always advocates of academic cap so they sent me to sphat camp which i completely wasted their money because i failed the s.a.t.. but in college i was going to graduate i think junior year but between junior and senior year yes, i am but basically getting ready to move across the country wasn't sure if i was going to live in d.c. or new york and it can a trip with my mom to go check it out, and in d.c. there was a national association of scholars conference at same time that we were going to be in town
7:45 am
so we decided to go to this conference. and this was conference for professors and professionals not a conference for a junior in college to come to necessary will you but i went anyway and there was one professor who and i can't remember exactly what his title was, it was a long ago but he was he is on a panel and made a statement. i went up to ask is a question and we got into a little bit of a back and forth debate about an issue and had had to do with what journalism professors were advocating their students read in their classes so he was advocating they should read "the new york times" i went up and dfnted to read washington times in addition to new york times to get some kind of balance in terms of what they were learning. that led to -- a nice young man running me down in the hallway and giving me a card saying if you want to come back to d.c. for an internship soy e-mail him five times and then he finally got back to me and he put me in touch with
7:46 am
someone at town hall and i applied for and internship and that was crucial in terms of getting me to where i am today. the second thing is everyone asked me how i got on tv for the first time. well my first tv appearance was msnbc but first appearance on fox news was red-eye that was first cpac as a young professional. i had come in college but i hadn't been here working. so i had a ticket to this vip reception it was sardines like every reception. and so hot, lines so long, i see got filled and andy leavey booker walk in the door and i'm like i have to talk to them and i hear them from a distance saying they're leaving because greg is complaining because they're going to leave because lines for beer are too long. soy hear them i go over and say don't worry pill get you a beer. what had do you want?
7:47 am
so i went up to the front of the bar and i was tall like i am. cut everyone and i got them beers. [laughter] next thing you know they invited me to come on the show. so i took the bus up to new york. and i slept in my brother's dorm room on the floor which was a 400 square foot apartment three boy, so gross but i made it. so that was probably a defining moment as well. and a good lesson of humility as well so -- all right one last question and if not do you have a question? are you sure? >> you look like you do -- okay -- well thank you guys keep up the good work. >> you have a question. >> asking my name is sid how do you speak up for yourself and understanding that people will never agree with you? >> i don't know if i'm very good at that .
7:48 am
i speak up -- when i'm having a conversation or debate for presenting a point it's not necessarily to get someone to agree with me. in terms of the person i'm debating it's simply to present to people or who are interested in both sides of the argument to maybe make their own decision if they're debating i know i won't change their mind. they have us on tv to disagree that's the point. but the goal is to present a better argument than them based on the facts and based on what you know and to have people who are watching make their decision about what two sides said and who has a better argument so that's what i would say dongt try to change their mind just make an argument and then see where it goes. so -- okay. thank you guys. keep up the good work on your campuses. see you later. [applause] at washington post.com and in
7:49 am
saturday's washington post about keith writing the dozens of republicans launching new push to halt donald trump. he's joining us from the newsroom thank you as always to be with us. >> thank you sieve. >> a key point in the story these are not talking heads or party operatives he's are delegates. >> exactly. that i think is what's important for anyone who is sort of rolling their eyes as they hear about this to focus on, that finally we're finding evidence of the people who will be empowered to nominate form orally -- any candidate to do something and heard so much from diseffective republicans saying why can't somebody stand up and do this and do something to at least slow his momentum maybe force confession from him. a bunch of delegates have been doing that over last few weeks and organized in a way that some of them put near is what had the initial activist and leaders of
7:50 am
the tea party movement started doing about six years ago. mad as hell and won't take it anymore and try to do something about it so found there are people in iowa, colorado washington state, arizona, louisiana, and elsewhere who are are now getting together and hoping to find enough delegates across country and enough states to make something happen. >> house speaker paul ryan in an interview to air sunday on nbc "meet the press" said he would never tell anybody to do something condition temporary to his conscience and vote for donald trump how significant were his remarks? >> well, refuse remember he's the official chairman of the convention so he has to remain sort of above the fray when it comes to all of the this. but what he's essentially signaling there is i won't put my thumb only the scale one way or the other to say if you want to try to do something and momentum to do it you can bring
7:51 am
it forward but conscience will warm hearts of folks but what they're trying sued is to prpses what they're calling is a conscience clause. they'll take it to what's called convention rules committee week before the convention convenes and propose that instead of being bound to the result of your state's caucus or primary a delegate should be is allowed to vote for whom every they would prefer to vote their conscience. in some interpretation of the republican convention rule that's already the way it's supposed to be. but reince priebus rnc chairman said no. delegates are bound to results of what happened in their state and must vote that way for a certain number of rounds if you've been paying in last few months you've saw explainers and how this works and first one to four rounds of state maybe bound to results after that delegates can do whatever they want but these people arguing it no they can do whatever they want from the beginning because it they delegates who choose party nominee is not vote rs in the
7:52 am
state because they were electing dell gots after all-and that candidate directly to the convention to figure this out. >> your piece includes a statement by donald trump saying he won almost 14 million quote i have tremendous supports and get biggest crowds. who specifically which delegations are behind this effort and how do you think this is all going to unfold in terms of momentum? >> well, no one full blown delegation intend this but there are members who are. no state decided in mass we're going to do whatever we can to support a conscience clause but you have members especially in colorado which was a state that ted cruz senator did as early as last summer to go to their state convention and get him delegates needed they're one of the u few states that didn't hold a caucus primary but relied on a convention so that team that won him the convention there is
7:53 am
banded together in hope was getting trump to not be no, ma'am know t knee so home basis in washington state, iowa, and anticipate number will grow and who is who and who is in supported of this is this past monday, state and territories had had to turn in their final lift of dell got and alternate to republican national committee so in essence the cast and now known who has to go. the problem is the rnc at one point telling everyone to release list of the delegate and alternates and at this point i'm told at least that they may not do that for whatever reason and require them to go out. call state party or find a like minded delegate to pass along a list and compile e-mail and phone number that way and find
7:54 am
people and if there was one master list available of everyone they could determine this by monday morning. but it's going to take a little while longer and incredibly they tell me they've been finding each other on facebook they've been finding each other through direct messaging on twitter in a quiet and subtle way perhaps to avoid scrutiny of fellow republicans in our own state or fellow member of their delegation. kwr5d one dell say chairman threatened if they didn't vote for trump, they were going to have kre are credential removed in a state that trump won and he should be able to do whatever he wants especially if he has concerns about conservative politics of trump. how significant have been last two week for donald trump whether his remarks, comments or latest polling numbers?
7:55 am
>> all of it is significant because it is -- it is beginning to cause a lot of worry for these delegates who say number is tanking in a head-to-head matchup with hillary clinton he's said and done things that suggest he's in this for his own personal gain. i was struck a few of them said stirred by what he said about that federal judge in california. not only because he was raising concerns about judges ethnicity but essentially threatening to use his political power that he's now amassed and threaten potentially the use to use power of the presidency to single out a judge because he didn't like something that head-to-head done and single not because that judge had ruled against the will of the people. but because he was ruling against self-interest of trump himself so abusing his power in essence so trump calls for new gun laws about in the wake eve what happened in orlando.
7:56 am
a red flag to conservatives who said hold on a second to us second amendment is settled so nothing that needs to be done to it. don't touch it and concerned by his comments this week it's again exposing him as someone not conservative to most republicans. so all of this together is what is inspiring these people to do something and see if there's a way to stop him at the convention and they make very clear they're not doing this on mr. trump and they don't necessarily have a preference just yet on who it would be other than trump. but they are eager to try to do something to stop him and feel they can within the next month. most organized effort so far to stop donald trump from becoming a gop nominee the reporting ed from "the washington post" newsroom work available online. thank you for working with us. >> thank you, take care. with the political primary
7:57 am
c-span road to the white house takes you to the summer political convention watch republican national convention starting july 18th with live coverage from cleveland. >> so we'll be going into the convention no matter what happens, and i think we're going to go in strong -- >> and watch the democratic national convention starting july 25th. with live coverage from florida. philadelphia. >> let's go forward and win nomination and in july let's return -- >> and then we take our fight for social, economic, racial and environmental justice to philadelphia, pennsylvania. [applause] every minute of the republican and democratic parties national convention on c-span, c-span radio, and c-span.org. >> on american history tv on c-span 3, today starting at 1 p.m. eastern, we're live from
7:58 am
gettysburg college and gettyburg pennsylvania for the annual civil war institute summer conference as authorses, historian and professors examine topics such as free people refugee camp reconstruction in the north an post civil war career of s grant an hear conversation on return of the lost cause, at 150 with the approach of the 40*9 anniversary of the smith sewn air and space music will show film. this weekend will look at the 1966 film science reporter for space -- >> couple of our earlier model it is here we have the shepard so this is in germany so here we have -- oh, this this in pennsylvania . this is a suit very similar to this identical to this one in extra vehicle excursions. [inaudible]
7:59 am
it does look quite a bit different from that suit that we saw. this is a one of our earlier molingsdz of the apollo suit -- the development of space suit from mercury program to apollo moon mission and sundays eefnght at 6 on american artifact curator takes us on air space music to show a airveght and quest that goes higher and faster in aviation. >> this air plan in may flew the 3600 miles in 33 and a half hour it is from new york to paris by charles who was unknown male had pilot pg. his goal was to win the orteg prize of $25,000 for first nonstop flight from new york to paris. and so that was the empties for this flight but what it represents in history of aviation is part of the -- telling of the airplane and
8:00 am
transition to mod fern airplane -- >> for the complete american history tv weekend schedule go to c-span.org. .. television for serious readers. this weekend on booktv on our weekly author interview program afterwords political science professor look that history and rise of isis plus roundtable discussion on donald trump's book the art of the deal and pro basketball player kareem abdul-jabbar weighs in on social and political issues. pulitzer prize winning author on the

29 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on