Skip to main content

tv   After Words with Senator Barbara Boxer  CSPAN  July 4, 2016 11:30pm-12:31am EDT

11:30 pm
>> host: bob weil we don't cover many novels on booktv but we have covered this author, winston groom several times. >> guest: this is his first major novel since "forrest gump." it's based on years of research. any american history of the early 20th century and he takes you through these east coast industrial -- have to come down south to protect their property against wachovia. it's page turning fiction for anyone who really loves american history and wants to see the intersection of history and fiction in vivid historical character. >> host: bob weil is the publisher at live right and those are some of the books coming out by that company. ..
11:31 pm
11:32 pm
>> >> with the women senators and frankly a lot of men it means a lot to biggio i am not ready again. people say why?
11:33 pm
but after 40 years people like you can carry that banner. we have you interviewing me i would not be more thrilled how did i get tough? was my life like? in this memoir with eyes sat down to write this so long ago, and i thought it would be my dad of light and as a person because my dad was my idol the youngest of nine brothers and sisters the only one born in america his family was born in russia. there is my dad born 1908 and after he buries my mom
11:34 pm
he goes to the city college of new york at night at night it becomes a cpa and then after i'm born to mosquitos to law school at night. he gets his degree so clearly i am thinking it is my dad that race it down to think about the lessons they all come from another. >> she did not even graduate from high school. >> she did not. she felt so sad about that. 1.she tried to get her gt don't know what happened but she was so smart in the kind of smart she had was from a hearty and soul. in the beginning of the book i laid out the rules of how can you do it?
11:35 pm
even when everything is going against you. even when we were in the trenches together. we know what it is like a to say why you causing these problems? if you know, it is right do the right thing in never act out of tinker. don't not turn your a agreed this is what came from my mother. >> to tell a funny story how you were a agree on the playground and then the next day you see it dark cloth and you thank you have killed him. it turned out to be the grandfather but that is a never you don't for get. >> i don't forget that because he was my nemesis
11:36 pm
ever since i was little i am still little part by a 5-foot 3 inches maybe with my high heels i of five-foot period. so i was the perfect target. he led insults me and chase me that is that they would do maybe they still do about one day i had it. nobody was around i check out my number two pencil and i stabbed him in the arm right on the vaccination. he is stunned and i am also. so in retelling the story we thought we would keep that our little secret but then he doesn't come to school the next three days and there is this black draped cloth over his door which i pass by everyday i live in the inner city and i really
11:37 pm
think i have killed him and so i take it to my mother. i think i killed albert in she says barbara sue which is what she called me when she was mad. akin believed to you would never do that. died of thank you killed him and recall said she finds out his grandpa died at was so relieved i hugged him when he came back but that tommy an amazing lesson that you never use violence and i never did after that. i tried to free myself from the situation. >> even has a young girl when you think about that as you were organizing that you try to get new carpet with the apartment lobby one of the favorite letters you were to in years old and
11:38 pm
your mother is in hospital with an illness you are not allowed to visit. day want to read that letter? that is sure first organizing effort right there. >> after a mother died and was in the school box because the rules were kids could not visit their parents. it's dear dr. aicher daughter i would like to see my mother very much i didn't see her when she left only a of little while about five minutes before went to school prayer gore have no sickness just a little belly ache and will not make a lot of noise imus my mother very much. why can i see her? thinks for reading the letter. sincerely yours. barbara. so then they had a feeling it would work so i wrote to back up.
11:39 pm
but bill whole idea that we can make it in america that is a big part of your story but something that is different is that you are a girl so here you are you go to brooklyn college and following in your dad's footsteps you get a degree you want to be a stockbroker and to start interviewing
11:40 pm
for jobs but it wasn't as easy back then. >> it was impossible. they used to have a program at the wall street firm because the people that were selling the securities were called customer's men. that was the name. so i want to be a customer's man. so when i got my first job it was a long story but this was a woman who wrote the municipal bond she was so smart she never signed a elizabeth said she would sign an her initials to disguise the fact. she said nobody will buy it could. she never became a partner for many years and it was in disguise.
11:41 pm
so i felt i will take a different path i will work for her at a salary so i guess i made $90 a week but i had to make more to live a decent life so steady for the asean because they could not again to the program review guide to the customers may and program you were trained but i did it on my own. i was so excited i took it to elizabeth and she said i don't know. and i did she said go women don't do that now shocking if she said that like it was a fact of life like even now i said of klay -- okay then i quit so i quietly had a
11:42 pm
little business on the side so i could make to my good $50 a week. >> that is why so many times in politics with the rest on your shoulders and even barbaras as well when you came it was so much harder and for young people to read your story in understand we went through when most women were all the expected to have two jobs secretary or teacher or nursing and that was set but. >> and a great husband had you been have been married to the you say i am often joked that he married debbie
11:43 pm
reynolds doubled up with all the mayor. [laughter] >> when we met girls or young women did not have those opportunities that we have today and that our daughters have today. so we had to settle for a lot less and so i was pursuing my dream to be an economics major ec some signs we would be talking about issues of the day and the women would talk about food or more appropriate things either do might beings with the women that i would go to the men and talk to them also which was a bit
11:44 pm
odd because it would unstated cheerleader that i was but let's be clear when he met me and it's going into the senate you might as well say applied to the moon by yourself. >> videotape this decision that you decide to move to california and how did that come about? >> we sister and her family had moved there in their way to visit so i went with my parents and we drove back to california and i get out there my eyes open up my mouth drops i have never seen anything as beautiful i joked to the book i grew up
11:45 pm
in brooklyn. i talked about a book called the tree grows in brooklyn there were beautiful places like props -- prospect park in a botanical gardens but it was really the city that the environment had a history and if you pick up a history book is the duty and that ecology from the north to the south from the marshlands where the ocean and of course, the richest farmland is so explicit and the callous and around 21 or 22 and said i want to move here. that was wild and i said to
11:46 pm
him can remove? i said you will see it is gorgeous and you will love that i cannot disk cry that we have so much more freedom to be outdoors and outside. he said okay but i have to get a job in the advanced. he did. the cave mouth to california because that is my wanted in in the excitement the silicon valley and everything about it. >> and then your first child is born two months early and he is still in moscow and then they will let him come now to but the biggest part this was dangerous back then. 50/50 chance for survival in the war on your own with no
11:47 pm
insurance. talk about that. >> that is how you are interested getting involved with government and politics. >> i anders did with it leads to be uninsured and of course, that feeling you never for gannett. but i was uninsured because i thought nothing will go wrong and everything will go great what happens when you are young. that we are immortal then all of a sudden we had agreed to move so i said i will get us a place to live you finish your exams the first day i get out here i arrive on may 20th and he was born may 21st i was staying at my sister's all
11:48 pm
of a sudden the water breaks i had not even that my doctor yet. i am in the clinic at the hospital they were so wonderful to me i had nothing. they said you know, this will cost $1,000 a day and you could imagine today the cost we don't know how long he will have to stay if he survives. i am taking this is the end of us but all we cared about was him every day it will go up to% he got out there as fast as he could that was the most wonderful gift he
11:49 pm
has his own family now. the next one was a creamy but not as a previous high had insurance but that shows how scary it is to be in a situation where you don't have anybody. >> you got involved with women's health care in the affordable care act. >> so it is a very traditional time when she grows up in the shadow of the holocaust now you're in california in northern california in the shadow of the vietnam war you learned the art of the tough but then you are involved in organizing for the carpet lobby and in the apartment taking non the vietnam war and then also to run. >> your right to point that
11:50 pm
out because it is the core of the going into politics. i had two little kids and you start to think differently you start to think long term and wonder what kind of world cauchy grow up in? and all of these issues came to the floor around the time of the vietnam war the environment movement but especially then because that was the first quarter were you sat ederle the year and could see it. i was part of the anti-war movement recent take the kids to the marches and i became a real activist and when a seat opened up for the county supervisor a
11:51 pm
beautiful place north of san francisco the issues what could we do locally? and women's rights. everybody asked him. and i said why did you do it? he said it paid $11,000 a year why don't you do it? so why did. it was so crazy i came on top. of either two were republicans but you didn't run as a democrat or republican so before we had the vote the incumbent and myself in that position was running they tried to use the anti-a choice issue so this candidate his name was
11:52 pm
bill is a valid to speak to my was excited because i said come over. he looks at at me and says i have given this a lot of thought i that he was going to say he was endorsing the but my wife is a physician is hard for her so this is what i want to say to you right now. you should drop out price said why would i do that? because you will be bad for women. where you get back? the oppressor house to free the oppressed are remember him saying that. like the whites have to free the blacks from the slavery that is the first thing that came to my mind because when fighting is racism almost every hair on my body went straight up so then when
11:53 pm
somebody goes over the line that is that i loved him and said this meeting is over so we got up and i shut the door and actually i slammed the door he got revenge because he was so mad he can now blast and endorsed the other guy so i've lost that by a small margin. >> there is even sexes of back edward you were writing how you do this with four kids know i have to know you have for because the rumors were so strong they were leaving your kids at home. >> there is so many great stories but the book goes into what it is like you have to have a sense of
11:54 pm
humor and are you would describe yourself to sleep i would not on the door i would go door to door was a small election year 20,000 votes knock knock who is there? barbara boxer first somebody said i didn't need to be so small. what do they expect? a big person because of the men i didn't expect you to be so short as what they would say. yes i am. and one woman said i could never vote for you you have four children you are abandoning price excuse me i have two kids and she said no you don't. schaede guide to argue with me a said if you have never given birth to never forget and i have done it twice. what do you do? then things were going great how we had to preserve the environment i was in a very suburban part of my district
11:55 pm
i thought i am making and hitting it a hand goes up in the back and a woman says hattie you have time to do your dishes? so even then i was taken aback and i just said i use paper plates which was stupid because this was an environmental group. i thought it was a joke. [laughter] >> but it was the question is that you were getting. >> there are some questions like that but not very many. >> i lost that race. is the only reason i stayed after that. >> did you were a newspaper reporter. >> i had a great life. but the reason i stuck with that i read an article that said there rightabout in the
11:56 pm
book that says women take things too personal then can lose two or three year four times and if we lose the first time they think they hate me because they are more sensitive and i thought this was a horrible experience but i'm not going to take him a personal so i went out on a little issues that were ahead of my time. >> like a marriage so it continued say you have to say to yourself they know you're in it for the right reasons were the most popular politicians is because even when people disagree they know you are in it for the right reasons you truly are trying to find an answer with legislation
11:57 pm
you are working hard and you are not afraid. that is why people will vote for you from the other party would never voted for democrat. this is what i tried to show in my tenure because believe better not i never would have won my races to say i don't agree with her sometimes but she tells river she is coming from she is in a for the right reasons. >> for me one of the most surprising things that you may not know until they read your book that is called the art of the tough. one of the thing is you may not know about the times you try to find common ground like on the trees rotation
11:58 pm
bill recently with mitch mcconnell or senator in off on the troop rotation bill though water bill or a number of things to have been able to do that by taking a bunch of democrats and republicans. >> and part of this is to learn the people who are working with and you did that for those that mentored you and in fact, because you had proven yourself when congressman burton called to audit the blue that he was going into rehabilitation and wanted you to run for his seat. >> this was in the '80s aids was really beginning to show an john burton was one of my member -- mentors and worked for giving congress he really helped me if i was
11:59 pm
elected to the board of supervisors we did talk very often he said i am addicted to drugs and alcohol i am checking into a rehabilitation facility and what i consider running for his seat? my kids were in high school. they were just a little bit too young. but i took it up with them and they said these opportunities don't come along very often. so i went for it. and i got there. i got to the house. i served in the house 10 years from a very safe distance and there were reasons they pushed me out. >> people were focusing on women mentors like barbara mikulski in these women colleagues that were incredible that tell detailed stories but you
12:00 am
also had male mentors. but the person who calls you he is in trouble. but he picks up women. he calls and asks you. >> he knew that my politics was progressive he knew he had taught me to be fearless but his brother was a real king maker. .
12:01 am
the family decides we are going to go for it and build mark two is a popular state senator and still can't do one thing for me because he's busy preserving and protecting the state. there i am setauket that baptism by fire. we were able to win that seat but it was hard. most of my races have been hard. plus they get to the house of representatives and there were
12:02 am
that many women back then. it's an exciting time in a start working on a number of issues some of which landed in your lap like aids research and one of the things i didn't know about you was that you were one of the first people taking on excessive costs with government contracting and the 7600-dollar coffee pot. and some of this was military contracting. >> guest: this bracket should have been 75 cents. this was a bracket. hughes stock of god and is screwed in the wall in this issue came to me from a terrific staffer which really we don't give them enough thanks so let me say to everybody, if you don't run yourself you help somebody else is worth it.
12:03 am
this is a scandal. there's a whole group called project procurement reform and i came there wanting to work. i had a whole expectation. there are the people there. you have to find a niche so there are of course aids found me because of my tragic situation in my district. this one was brought to me and my staffer said no one is really talking about this. people can't picture what a carrier should cost. when you get into the billions your eyes glaze over but how about it a $600 toilet seat which is what the pentagon was spending. they weren't contracting out to small business. they were saying to lockheed you do the thing and that was a reason so we rosabell and it's the law and has saved millions
12:04 am
of dollars. >> host: >> guest: can i tell you one great story that is hilarious which i do tell? i was proud of my work on military procurement reform so i had a town hall meeting. i tell the story of procurement reform and they said can you imagine a $600 toilet seat? what is it, native goldeneye said does anybody have -- and a woman raises her head. this is the rich part of the country and she said do you know where i can get one of those? husk others a reason julia louis dreyfus has endorsed her book. people forget about the humorous things that happen in politics and i think it's important because you want some young women and men to run for office and that's the cool part.
12:05 am
>> guest: by the way amy that is why you are effective. people wonder do i need someone with a sense of humor or a person who wants to write like i do? the fact is that's part of the art. you have to have something, it enables you to survive. >> guest: . >> host: one of the things in your book you talk about how the women didn't have the gym and there was this big deal and it was so unfair to try to get women to have access to a. jeff: as well as you took this on. tip o'neill may have been the leader at the time. guess who he was the speaker. josé you take this on and you have a beautiful singing voice and have documented many of your songs and verses in your book and you ask a wrote a song about the women needing a gym. i thought you could sing it for us. you don't have to run for office again.
12:06 am
>> guest: this will be a first. i will sing one person read the rest. i will set the stage of what happened. here i came from california where the exercise ethic was really important and i get here and i find out there's -- there was a gym for women. it was about the size of this table and you couldn't do anything there. all it has is a bunch of hairdryers. don't ask me why, and i called, i have to staffer who said i wanted league of women members and exercises so mikulski was my colleague in the house. geraldine ferrero was about to make history and there were a few others, olympia snowe. >> host: there was a story of barbara. jessica we have this wonderful meeting in this tiny little gym where trust me seven of us in the room he couldn't even spread
12:07 am
your arms out because they hairdryers got in the way. so claudette who is leading us then, raise your hands in the air. up and down. raise your hands to the side. she says now put your hands up and her hip and barbara yells out if i could find my hips i wouldn't be here. so things got desperate. who of the uss went to the men who were in charge of the gym and segue use the gym? absolutely not. it's not fair. no, you cannot. can we expand the women's gym? you cannot. it was just a horrible experience so i used "the art of tough" and i said okay but he is my sense of humor. i went to two colleagues marcy kaptur and mary roselle from a high on i said can you carry a tune? oh yes we can carry a tune and i
12:08 am
wrote the song and it was suggested by my colleagues that i sing it to the leadership of the democratic caucus. oh my god we walk in there, it went like this. exercise, glamorous, can't everybody use your gym? and then it went on. equal rights we will wear tights. let the boys have macho fights. can't everybody use your gym and then we end it with we are not trim, we are not slim can't everybody use your gym? we are only asking and we had the big finish and we get the gym. it's the only time that i ever change policy with my lyrics. but we did it. >> host: i think it's an example and this is not just a
12:09 am
senate gym or house gym, you are taking on an issue that's happening all over america with whether people can use locker rooms or high school girls to be old to have access to sports. let's take "the art of tough" to a different level, something much more serious which is my favorite photo in this book and it's a picture of you leading and of course patricia as well but you are the first one of course leading the women up the stairs while you were running for senate i think. the seats opened up in california. all the anita hill stuff starts coming out about the supreme court nominee and use the house women decide the hearing needs to be open again. there's this photo of you leading the women up the stairs of the senate. >> guest: i will tell you something amy, when i look at that photo i look look at all of a sudden i see a tightness. i see a focus, determination.
12:10 am
the photo capture the moment and some photos do. you think back to iconic photographs but for me this was a symbol of equality. we were going over this. you have a professor who is intelligent, she is flawless and their industry and she is saying that in fact she was harassed by the nominee to the supreme court and the guys in the senate and let me be clear it was and one on the judiciary committee and you serve on it. >> host: there are still only two of us now. >> guest: they wouldn't open up the hearing. they would not. now the reasons for it i explain in the book. i do want to go into that so i'm just going to talk about what it
12:11 am
felt like for us. >> host: you are demanding a meeting with george mitchell. >> guest: he said there's only one way to get the meeting, we have to walk over there. pat schroeder whose idea this was -- what a fabulous leader she was, we walk over, about seven of us and the rest of the women, there hardly were any are staying in the house and doing one minute on the floor to talk about it. we are walking over there and we get up to the top of the steps and we knock on the door because it's lunchtime and you know when we have those comforts -- conference lunches where in their public democratic senators all men except for barb mikulski actually she wasn't there then i don't think. i don't think -- she was there, the only one. the democratic caucus knocked on the door and they peek out, a
12:12 am
woman hi, hi we say. we are seven from the house democratic women if they want to come in and speak with the senators. at the minimum -- oh no he said. he said why? he said we don't let strangers in the senate. i wrote another book called strangers in the senate a long time ago. we said what he talking about? we are women in the house. between us we have over 100 years of experience. we just want to talk to the senators about reopening. don't take offense she says. anyone who is not a senator is called the -- i had never heard of that but needless to say that's what she said. i reached the back of my mind, how are we going to get a meeting so i say give no that's all well and good but if we have to turn back and walked down the
12:13 am
stairs now there's a bank of cameras down there and we are going to tell them that we were unable to see anybody. he said just a minute and he goes back and he says okay go in the side room and george shmygell will meet you and we told them you have to open it up and they did but the hearing to reopen hearings were a disaster. as i explained in the book i won't go into it there's a whole movie on hbo about it but i want to say unequivocally to you and to anyone within the sound of our voices here that without anita hill's courage i never would have gotten there. i never wear gotten to the senate because in california there were two seats open. diane was way ahead because she was much more known. >> host: and she had run for governor. >> guest: she had run for governor before is a wonderful mayor. i had this little tiny district and i was considered more progressive so it was a tougher run. then really the stay was more purple.
12:14 am
now it's blue but it was quite purple british. >> host: but the anita hill hearings put attention on the fact that there were no women. what i love about the story is diane who was then in a stronger position. you can't have two jewish women running at the same time and diane you are still in your primary. she campaigned for you and she said one of her famous lines, 2% 2% -- >> guest: may be good for the content of milk but it's not enough to have 2% of the senate women. >> host: there were only two women in the senate at the time. >> guest: then i would get the question are you serious do you think two jewish women, has ever had two women number one and there had never been a jewish center has far as i know. i have to go back but i don't think so.
12:15 am
i can't write off the top of my head believe it. >> they said how do you ever expect jewish women to do it and we say you never raise the issue about too partisan and being elected. why is this an issue and besides they said they could use a good dose of chicken soup in what we did was try to use her sense of humor both of us. we stuck together on the campaign trail and the message was so powerful. it was the juxtaposition of anita hill not getting justice and no women on the judiciary committee. then i looked at the senate and it was 90% men. they got elected. patty murray got elected and we have tripled from two to six. they called it the year the women and i don't know what they were so excited about is going to six but then it started to grow and now we are up to 20% of the senate and hopefully after this election we will be far more.
12:16 am
as guard member barbara mikulski saying to you at the time because you are giving up a state house seat for a very uncertain election and she said go for it. she told you a lot of women were looking out their window for prince charming and in i'm looking for more women senators. >> host: don't you love her? what otstuchi say? is not about gender it's about an agenda. she would say it's not about macroeconomics comments about not running. >> host: having those mentors were good but there is the house banking scandal and you had nothing to do with it but there was an investigation if i remember. they were trying to use that against you and at one point you decided i don't know if i want to keep running. >> guest: my family, i would
12:17 am
tell it quickly. the house bank scandal to make a brief this is what it was. the house bank wasn't really a bank. it didn't operate like a bank. in other words when you put your check in and mindless automatic it took them days before they credited it. i didn't know that. they never told us that so i would rather rent check and pay for my mother's medicine or whatever i was doing and then two weeks later they never told you about it. so then when this scandal hit they said all these people bounced checks. it was so on their sing and they put the fbi on the case. oh my god we had to meet with the fbi and the fbi i thought to myself why are they sitting here with me when they could be going after criminals? the bottom line is clear completely but even though i was clear completely they were writing checks. it was just awful.
12:18 am
show me your checkbooks. i said i'm not showing you my checkbook. that infuriated the press. they would meet me and me at the airport with cameras. barbara boxer juan show us or checkbook. that's right and anyway it was a total nightmare. i gave up and i thought i'm sick of this. i don't need this. i can go back to being a reporter, i can have a tv show and i called and they said this is it. i'm not going to do the senate race and i thought he'd be happy we support you as a constituent that we miss you. instead of saying the oh i'm happy he said let's talk about it when you get home. there's nothing to talk about appeared on the way home i stopped off at a party and they were watching 60 minutes and it showed me and happier moments.
12:19 am
now i walk home and who's upstairs watching the baseball game and he had two kids, young adults. there laying in wait for me. what do you doing here? and they said mom, you can drop out. it sounds like it's made up. why not? i'm so sick of this. after have some dignity and they said we are going to redo a book. they read the oh the places you go. it's dr. seuss and i'm thinking this can't be happening. sometimes you are up and sometimes you are down and tears are coming to my eyes. they say you just can't do this. she looks at me and you know nicole, she looks at me and mom she said what is that message
12:20 am
going to be to all the women who are counting on you? you are just going to walk away so the art of tough left me for a moment. my kids, i guess they had it. they gave it back to me. and i win the race by a lot. and then i have a tough race. it was one of those moments. in a lot of ways this book is an empowerment. to look to her for one to say don't give up, don't succumb to that. >> host: won a talk about some of the battles in the senate that you had? you were somehow and not everybody went to the assignment of the ethics committee where you're policing your fellow senators and had to deal with the packwood case and you were involved in harassment and they have taken on climate change. you've been at the forefront of many battles. >> guest: i've told my
12:21 am
constituents, there is good news and bad news about the senate. i set the bad news is jesse helms who was always a negative force, he can shut the senate down. the good news is so can i i so when i got there i realized i had the power to utilize visibility to shut the senate down and to make the compromise protected do that even as a freshman but here's what happened. when i came in as a freshman senator i was going to be quiet and i was going to burn the ropes like hillary did when she came in and then she was hit with 9/11. so with me i'm fair really truly am a quiet. you can imagine me that way. >> host: i've never seen that. guess one quiet. i'm looking and watching and then just after i win my race
12:22 am
and remember i win it because of anita hill, believe me. what happens happens? write the form sworn enduring the "washington post" senator robert packwood had apparently according to 25 women engage in what is the word i can say? some say sexual misconduct. let's go there and i thought i can't believe it. after anita hill now i'm coming in and one of my colleagues is engaging in this kind of behavior. to make a long story short there's an ethics committee and i wasn't on it then. mitch mcconnell was on it so without going into detail which your listeners will have to learn in my book "the art of tough", this thing was unreal and believe me when i tell you, i was one of the only people in
12:23 am
the senate pushing to air this dirty laundry and if it was true get him out of the senate and i came to grips with mitch mcconnell a very senior powerful member of the ethics committee. the attack me. they did everything and we got rid of packwood. the point behind the story is i never expected that would happen. and we had a four-point earthquake in california. the point i make in this book is when you're in politics you never know. the issues will be on your plate. let's go through it all you also went, worked with many presents and help them, bill clinton barack obama al gore. you are helping hillary clinton. >> guest: i sure am.
12:24 am
>> host: i love the story a few going down during the recount to florida and taking on an issue. it was just one thing after another but one of the best ones was when you were running against carly fiorina. i'm on the committee with you and i see what you're doing and what you are up against to take on climate change and you are running and i thought now that we have seen carly fiorina running for president to kind of put her win that race. the moment when she got caught on air talking about your hair and your reaction we are back to the beginning because once again people are into these issues. >> host: is so interesting and i'm glad you brought it up. it's another amazing lesson that no matter what field therein. things don't happen that you don't expect to change. this put it that way.
12:25 am
i was running in 2010 but she was a top-tier candidate. she got her golden parachute and got fired from hewlett-packard and had millions of dollars to throw into the race which he did we were trying to help the president to get stimulus bills and i remember standing on the floor looking at a solution, tens of thousands of jobs a month. in california was ms. the real estate situation we were struggling and i'm running for re-election and fiorina is blaming everything on me.
12:26 am
she is blaming everything on me and i'm saying you don't want to elect her because she sang barbara boxer is responsible and barbara boxer is scared about climate change and there's no climate change so anyway flash forward and she's on "cnn" as a matter of fact. she is mike duff like we are and she's being recorded and she doesn't realize it. instead of prepping for the interview, give me the latest issue of the morning. she says to her staff have you seen barbara boxer's hair and her staff said no, what about it? it is so yesterday and she starts laughing. now the truth is about my hair it does have a life of its own and i have many bad hair days however everybody does.
12:27 am
so what is she doing? you saying this. kind of an insult. if you are wealthy enough to have a hairdresser all of you around every day. >> host: she got in trouble with that in the think in the end, people understood we were in a hard time and people including me stood up against the iraq war. there were so many times were alone or maybe had people that were willing to take a stand of what i love about "the art of tough" is it talks about that. that lens of history. but also people even when they didn't agree with some of the republicans understood that you were going to be tough and stand up to them. >> guest: it's been a remarkable thing and i did beat her by 1 million votes. again some of these things have
12:28 am
happened that shined a light on who the person is and i'm going to go off for a minute and say donald trump for examples when he said he was excited when the housing market crashed because he thought i can make a lot of money. how do you make america great when that player mindworks? i know a lot of business people. they may say i'll buy something but they don't think that way that they are profiting off of somebody's misery. it just proves that i'm tough that truly things that happen in the campaign that show who the person really is inside and when people saw her making fun of me and not really caring about the issues when the cameras were off and they put it together but the fact that when she was ceo they
12:29 am
said you know what --. >> host: with one minute left as you look at the incredible career you've had and you can pass on to others so what do you want to pass onto people like ian people young thinking of running as supervisors? what you want to pass on? >> guest: what i want to pass on to you just have to stand up and be tough to know you can win and don't worry about that arrows. as a matter and a matter and when i open up the book i have quotes from the right-wing media that said the worst thing about me -- and that's what i want to say to everybody. be empowered and stand up for what you believe in and it will be a satisfying life. >> host: thank you so much barbara and i recommend your book "the art of tough" because i think it's going to be fun to read that people will understand where you came from and it's going to give them the faith and
12:30 am
politics to run themselves. >> guest: i hope so. >> host: thank you. >> guest: thank you. >> host: beverly cook where we? >> guest: we are in the lobby of the regional library. in chicago illinois. >> host: what is special about this library? >> guest: besides me? illinois. >> host: who was vivian g. harsh? >> guest: vivian g. harsh was the branch manager. she is my mentor, she is the one who started this special collection which we now call the harsh research collection. ..

387 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on