Skip to main content

tv   Key Capitol Hill Hearings  CSPAN  July 26, 2016 4:02pm-6:03pm EDT

4:02 pm
of the world in passing legislation for paid medical and family leave. our job is to deal with the immorality of the level of income and wealth inequality that exists in america today, that's what we've got to do. in my view, given the ideology of the republican party which is an ideology that works for the rich and powerful against the middle-class and working families, the truth is that republicans do not win elections, democrats lose elections. we lose elections when people give up on the political process and do not vote. we lost in 2014 when 63
4:03 pm
percent of the american people did not vote and 80 percent of young people did not vote. so our job it seems to me in the next few months is to do some very obvious things. number one, we've got to elect hillary clinton as the next president of the united states. [applause] number two, we have got to stay focused on the most important issue. it is not just about electing candidates. it is about transforming the country. [applause] now, the media are talking about the real issues but that's what the american people want to hear discussion about. they want us to create millions of jobs rebuilding
4:04 pm
our crumbling infrastructure. they want us to make sure that public colleges and universities in this country are tuition free. they focus on the issues yet ordinary people and young people involved in the political process, what we are in the process of doing right now is transitioning our campaign into an organization that isgoing to encourage young people to get involved in politics . [applause] to run candidates at the school board level and the city council level. the political revolution has begun and it will continue.
4:05 pm
so i want to thank all ofyou, those who supported me, those who supported secretary clinton , for your doing something that too few americans are now doing and that is getting involved in the democratic political process. [applause] all right. we've made a great start, let's go forward. let's elect secretary clinton, let us transform this country, thank you very much. [applause] >> how cool is this? how much fun is this? i love it. i'm so happy, this is so
4:06 pm
cool. kathy,, on backup. wasn't that awesome? >> do not leave, if you leave i'm going to cut your breakfast off and take your pass away. if all of us can take our seats. senator sanders is not going to stop, by the way. he is leaving. you can chase him but he's not going to stop. that's secret service with him, they don't stop. were going to have kathy come back up and as she would say
4:07 pm
... >> that was fabulous, i agree. i'll always remember that. while you are horrible tweeting that senator bernie sanders came to the florida delegation breakfast, then there that he asked kathy castor fl, he was pleasantly interrupted by senator bernie sanders. i started a new campaign twitter account, i'm sending pictures of the convention all week but i just started it and it's really sad how few followers i have on my campaign, philadelphia convention twitter. kathycastorfl. after that commercial announcement. all right. democrats, everybody listen in. here's another reason why this is such an important year. this is the first year that
4:08 pm
we will have the opportunity to elect democrats under the new fair district constitutional amendment area after those fair districts amendment were adopted, the republicans in tallahassee fought it. they fought it to and mail but we finally resolved it and it has resulted in the opportunity of a lifetime for us to elect democrats to the state legislature and to congress. that's why this election begins our march towards greater equity in florida in those seats and what that means for the people we represent, it means we can make progress on health care, on jobs and on everything that we hold dear. now, let's face it democrats, we have made a lot of progress.
4:09 pm
unemployment is down and this is what you tell your friends, unemployment is down, gas prices are down, more people have healthcare than ever before in america, are uninsured rate is the lowest it's ever been in the history of the country. we are fighting for good schools, higher wages but i need backup in the u.s. congress. i know you heard from stephanie, you heard it from others about how important the congress is and let me give you a couple quick examples. they adjourned for the longest recess in the history of the congress without passing emergency funds to address the disease got virus, develop a vaccine, to develop the diagnostics we need on the ground. they refused to sign any health to flint michigan for the toxic water in their fight. they refused to move a supreme court justice and the first time, their obstruction is outrageous. and then after the orlando pulse my club shooting, we were completely set up and under the guidance and leadership of civil rights
4:10 pm
icon john lewis, we sat in to stand up for gun safety. to end gun violence. and we are not going to give up but i will tell you something, florida democrats, we needbackup and this is the year and i think we have some of those congressional candidates here . the i-4 corridor is going to be critical. from the susanna randolph parents photo of primary fight, or either one of them here? to the central florida, the heart of orlando, i thinki saw chief val dennings , she was here. and senator geraldine thompson and bob hall, we need a democrat that can stand upfor orlando . and then we have an opportunity just north of their to elect another young woman to the united states congress in stephanie murphy,
4:11 pm
is stephanie here? there's stephanie back here. this is what's fair districts is going to do. some of these candidates do not have all the funds in the world and that's why it's going to take the democratic people power to get them elected. on the west coast of florida for many years i've been the only democrat from key west to the panhandle and back. you all meet glenn frahm for a term . she was up late last night watching the speeches but she is now turning hersites to run for governor of florida and i'm excited about it . but it still, i can't be that lonely so we have an opportunity in the tampa bay area to elect charlie crist to the united states congress. and i know some people say wait, he was a former republican governor but remember, charlie, when president obama came to florida as the economy was
4:12 pm
collapsing, charlie crist said thank you president obama, our people need your help. he stood up for teachers, he stood up to ensure that nonviolent felons can vote to get their civil rights restored. so i'm strongly supporting charlie crist but this is the opportunity we have and i want stephanie murphy, our congressional candidate in north of orlando , altamont maitland, it's number , he goes over to the east coast a little bit. st. john and senator nelson is going to select two but democrats, we need backup and u.s. congress. we democratic us senator to represent the state of florida in addition to our hero senator bill nelson. are you ready to elect democrats, give us backup in the united states congress, turn this country into something even greater than it is.
4:13 pm
are you ready for hillary? are you ready to elect democrats? are you ready to see bill clinton tonight? i'm ready to share it with you, thank you for the opportunity this morning. >> now we will hear from one of my personal heroes, senator bill nelson. i go back a long time with this man. he is florida's senior statesman. he has led on issues with his heart. he has stood up sometimes alone for our environment and we are seeing now how critical that is. this is a man who has championed everything we care about in florida and it is my privilege to call him friend as well as my leader. [applause] >> good morning florida. let me tell you about a couple of candidates that i know , i want to tell you about tim kaine.
4:14 pm
he is one of my best friends in the senate. tim is this extraordinary person, i hope you had a chance to hear him when he was introduced by hillary in the miami. it was an exceptional, the two of them, you could just see that they sparkle together and that's so important for a president and the vice president youknow will have their back . tim is that kind of person. he's humble, he's not flashy but he is exceptionally competent. tim started off, took a year off from law school and went as a catholic missionary to honduras. that's where he learned his fluent spanish and you will see that throughout the
4:15 pm
campaign as it was evident in miami. he would just break into fluent spanish in the course of his speech. tim is an exceptional person. he is someone that has a characteristic that we are going to see a contrast on. tim is humble. guess what donald trump is? exactly the opposite. now, that tells you something when you compare candidates because an election is a contrast and this contrast is really of opposites. so we have donald trump who says well, where do you will learn from mark i have a very good brain. i know it myself. and you have hillary and tim
4:16 pm
that reach out to others who have the expertise in order to make the very best decisions. what a contrast. in the case of hillary, you not only have somebody who is obviously prepared to be commander-in-chief but is prepared to be what is so important in our country right now and that is a unifier in chief. to bring us together. it's going to be a wonderful campaign. now, don't be discouraged about that cnn poll that came out. i think they over sampled, this is nationwide. i think they over sampled republicans in the poll . you will find what happens in florida after the bump that hillary and tim will receive in the polls coming out of this convention, just give it
4:17 pm
a couple weeks, three weeks to settle down and what you will find is that hillary will lead but we cannot take anything for granted. that's because it is so important that we have to win florida. if we win florida with 29 electoral votes, that's more than 10 percent of the entire electoral college when up to 70. there is very little other mathematical solutions that donald trump could put together if we win florida. and so i want to thank you all for going, putting your shoulder to the wheel for hillary and tim. this is a team that most of
4:18 pm
us know personally. i can tell you for the nelson family where our daughters have grown up with the clinton family, they have grown up together, they communicate all the time including this week. this is a solid, solid team for america. now, it is my great pleasure to introduce to you while hillary will be the first woman president, shewill have a speaker of the house , a woman taking her back. leader nancy pelosi. [applause] >> good morning everyone. thank you senator nelson for the lovely introduction and
4:19 pm
your beautiful statements about the excellence of our clinton kaine ticket. senator nelson has been a chevy on on many issues, so proud to represent the great state of florida they are but in the last two days, in the last few months he has been such a leader in the country on the issue of zika funding, thank you senator nelson for being a voice for people in the senate area and he is working with congresswoman debbie wasserman schultz, with kathy who you heard from already today. congressman deutsch who is here and the entire democratic delegation. welove that delegation. we want more. it's a great delegation, it represents the beautiful diversity of our country and of this state .
4:20 pm
to your chairwoman allison thomas, thank you for working so hard to elect democrats, to scott arsenault, thank you as well and to all of you, thank you. to all of you, i come here to say greetings to you. first of all, thank you. thank you. thank you. thank you for so many things but thank you for leading the way in our country to more representatives and fair redistricting. because of your work we will pick up seats . to gain a majority in the united states house of representatives . [applause] we are very excited about our prospects in terms of more seats so val dennings will be a member of congress area stephanie murphy will be amember , hey, there's now over here. stephanie murphy, charlie
4:21 pm
crist will join us in the congress of the united states, randy perkins will be a member and we will have a hispanic member in hit a joe garcia down there and florida needs those democratic hispanic members, more than one butlet's get started on that. now that we've done some of our politics , let me talk about another sauce subject. i've come to thank all of you that the strength you demonstrated through the orlando tragedy. it was a terrible thing for our country. it was a hate crime in addition to a gun violence crime. but the way florida rally is an example to the country of community and never forget that that word community has the word unity in it. a very important word for us to succeed. so tragic was it that after
4:22 pm
one tragedy after another, one example of gun violence, little people in kindergarten but after this one, we had a sitting in the house of representatives that lasted 25 days under the leadership of john lewis. and because of what happened in orlando and because of this community that rallied, this will be heard across the country and we will never stop. we will never stop until the job is done for us topass . if you can't fly, you can't buy. and reasonable done prevention legislation that says you can't buy a gun on the internet and you can't buy a gun at a gun show if you don't have a background check. what is so unreasonable about that?
4:23 pm
but when history is written and the people look back they will look at you, florida, orlando, pulse that night and say that was the tipping point in our country. where we said enough, enough. [applause] i thank you for that, i thank you again, prospects of success but i thank you in advance because all the world is looking at florida in this election. we've been joined by lois frankel, oh my god. she will be on the stage with the democratic women of the house tonight in a speaking role. we are awfully proud of her. as a mother of a veteran in afghanistan and iraq, thank you lois frankel. but listen, the whole world is looking. i'm from california. we don't have a big victory for hillary, we will win
4:24 pm
seats but there's no mystery there.the difference will be made in florida. the difference will be made in florida. to elect the first woman president of the united states. [applause] it's thrilling. that's thrilling. i'm happy to give up the title of highest-ranking women in government. i'm happy to relinquish that title. i've been dying to get rid of that title but it's not because she's a woman. it's because she is the best. and tim kaine, in the senate he is important as well as the house interstate legislative branch but let me say this. one of the reasons we are going to be successful in this election is not only because of the greatness of
4:25 pm
hillary clinton because of bernie sanders. [applause] bernie sanders has engaged young people in such a way and more people who have been politically involved, community oriented but not really politically engaged. and now because of his appeal and i know you just heard from him, his appeal, he will win more house seats, more senate seats, more state legislative and we are going to elect a democratic president of the unitedstates . the first woman. are you ready for a great democratic convention? is florida taking responsibility? i thought so. onward to victory, thank you all. [applause]
4:26 pm
>> okay, how exciting was that? our next speaker is here. a man i support. when he ran for minnesota, a very tight race. senator al franken. >> hi everybody. so i had fun last night, did you? i got to be funny, finally. a lot of people have asked me is being a senator as much fun as working on saturday night live? and the answer of course is no. why would it be? but it's the best job i've
4:27 pm
ever had. because i get to work hard every day working for the people of minnesota, working for the people of america to make this a better country but we are a great country. there's no question about that. michelle obama said that yesterday and wasn't she great? i am so ... you okay? thanks. member of the press. [laughter] i am so struck by the differences between the two conventions. i actually was in cleveland for the last day and night of bears and i knew, they had
4:28 pm
some great speakers. they had scott mayo. [laughter] and we had bernie sanders and ... [applause] and cory booker. [applause] and elizabeth warren. and the first lady. [applause] and al franken, thank you but the difference in tone. when donald trump spoke last thursday, he painted a picture of an america that i didn't recognize. we have problems in our country, there's no question about that. and we as the democratic party have been trying to address those and have been blocked, elizabeth said this
4:29 pm
very well last night. we've been blocked by republican party. in trying to achieve all we wanted to achieve. but if we turn this over to them, we are going to go backwards. we're going to go backwards, we are going to have a president who divides people, not a president who unites people. what we painted last week was a dystopia. and he said it was all barack obama's fault even though that when barack obama took office we were losing 752 800,000 jobs a month. that's what he inherited area and he basically said all these problems were caused by barack obama and hillary clinton and that there was only one person in the country that could cure all
4:30 pm
this and it was him and it was going to happen with magical thinking. because he didn't tell us one thing he was going to do. and remember he said things like , we are going to defeat isis and it's going to happen fast. my goodness. what does he take the american people for? really?if i remember i he said during this campaign he has a secret plan to be isis but he can't tell us because then isis would know. [laughter] i mean, this is so childlike and i thought bernie gave the case last
4:31 pm
night, think about the supreme court. now, i want to, i'm going to end with a story from about three weeks ago, i went to a high school graduation in over minnesota, wilmer minnesota is in south-central minnesota, it's the number one producer of turkey in the united states and wilmer is in the center of cadieux county which is the number one turkey producer in minnesota. and so we have turkey producing their. packing turkey, meatpacking and so the graduating class that i spoke to eisai was about 60 percent white, about 25 percent latino and 15 percent somali . and i was there to speak because i was there to introduce the class speaker,
4:32 pm
mona abdallah he and mona had been a page, one of the senate pages when she was a junior in high school and now she had been picked by her class to be a class speaker, the valedictorian was a latina girl area and i remember when i told her, i was in my office in the heart feel that the senate and they told me about luna and he wanted to go down the floor and say hi to her and i went down to the floor and she was the only one there with a job and she was smiling so i went up to her and i said you look like a minnesotan. [laughter] and she laughed. and those kids love each other. those kids love each other.
4:33 pm
when luna came down during pop and circumstance, her name is abdallah he so she was, she was the first to get her diploma so when it came down, they sent them in order and they come down the middle and then they break off this way so as she was coming down the center, she was holding hands with one of the calls and twins it was the most beautiful three hours that i spent this year . [applause] and it was a tonic for everything you are hearing on the trunk side. and donald trump. and my lesson from that was that we officeholders, we public servants, we have to be asgood as the people we serve .[applause] so i have
4:34 pm
the best job in the world and i am going to be out there and i want you to be working every day. as i said last night, many of you have jobs. many of you have families, ignore them. [laughter] let me tell you something about kids, they love it when their parents are home, they love it. and let me tell you something else, and eight-year-old knows how to use a microwave oven. i'll tell you something else, and eight-year-old can teach your four-year-old to use a microwave oven. that is scientific fact. and this is why people going to politics in the first place, to get away from their families. [laughter] and you know that
4:35 pm
because anytime somebody resigns they say i need to spend more time with my family. [laughter] i want you to go out and work for the next several months and get hillary elected and get patrick murphy elected and take over the senate and thank you very much. [applause] >> okay everybody, are we having fun or what? final speaker this morning is someone who is very dear tous in florida . and i've known this woman since i was in my 20s. she was a member of the house of representatives and i was terrified of her. she's fierce and she is amazing. she's a strong advocate for
4:36 pm
women and children. she went on to server term in the legislature and run for mayor and now she's in congress and i'm so happy to have lois here. >> hello florida. hello. from southeast florida, from fort lauderdale, up the coast of palm beach county. i'm happy to be with you. listen, i want to say something. in a second i'm going to tell you why they raise up with me but i need your attention because i worked very hard on theseremarks . i'm from fort lauderdale to philadelphia, it took us two hours right? all right .
4:37 pm
this is very emotional for me. really. this is why i am supporting hillary clinton and i want you to listen carefully to my work. from a young age, my parents impressed on me the value that you work hard for what you want in life. that your word is your bond and you do what you say and you keep your promise, that people with respect. [laughter] pretty good half? how about that republican convention? you know what, there were so many angry men i thought there was a rabid dog on the loose they are, right? but i want to say this.
4:38 pm
i think the trunk women did a little better. they did a little better, right? but they were a little confused. if anke thought she was in philadelphia. and no idea but she was married to barack obama. [laughter] i don't know. all right. we are talking about women we have a great woman running this party , thank you. whoa. what is that? oh, this is c-span. sorry c-span. >> we are good there we go. >> i'm going to pull a barack obama . and i want to thank everybody in this room, the delegates, party leaders, your advocacy and electing democrats at all
4:39 pm
levels of government in florida and the policies that we've advanced. sorry about that cnn, let me get this right. allison is out of control up here. all right, listen. i think i still have two women behind me that i have to bring up on stage, are they there? come here. they don't even want to be seen with me. okay, do you know who they are? stephanie murphy. running against john mica. val demmings. [applause] i don't know who she's running against but she's with me, okay. thank you ladies. they both have a lot of guts, don't they? i tell them, if you can'ttake
4:40 pm
a joke, don't go into politics . nancy pelosi is an awesome woman, is she not? she put me in charge of a program called women's league which means i get to travel the country and promote the democratic women running for congress. that's a good thing, right? we love them into, i love him. thank you, you're welcome. he just wanted you to know that, disclaimer. so these are two of our best women. they're about 20+ women around the country from maine to florida for positions to take over, to take republican seats, turn them blue and join usin the united states congress . i just want to tell you what the story is right now.
4:41 pm
let's see. there are about 20 percent of women in congress, that's the us congress and the senate, 20 percent are women. there are in the house of representatives where i serve, there are 65 craddick women and listen to this. it only took us about 228 years to get this far. think of the jump were going to make this session so listen, here's how you can help us. if you go to the d triple c.com you will see the names and how you can help the 20+ women and the other democrats running for the house because let me tell you something folks, we need their help and thank you again. let's have a great convention. let's make history, elect hillary clinton our next president of the united states, thank you.you are welcome. all right allison. [applause]
4:42 pm
>> a couple things. >> hey everybody, i got great news. the photographer is here for the delegation photo. as soon as this wraps, immediately following this wrapup we are going to walk downstairs and out the main entrance on market street area were going to take a beautiful picture and we have the fight photographer here, please give them a round of applause . if your friends are not here and they want to be in the delegation photo, send them down there. were going down there immediately after we conclude . >> one last piece of business here. i'm told ... okay. tomorrow it's seersucker day so if you are wearing seersucker, karen is in charge. i also wanted to give a big shout out thanks to cedric
4:43 pm
mcmahon and les boylan and scott arsenault and nick polito who worked to make this delegation the most diverse delegation ever. and i want, i am proud to look around our floor and see america getting together so i just wanted to say thank you to them and including, inclusive of that diverse city are our secular humanist and brothers and sisters here, the atheists, we are delighted to have every member of our family present so you want to come back up? >> okay guys, we are about to close up, is that right? before everybody leaves, can we have everybody quiet . last announcement of the night. last announcement, gavel time is 4 pm.
4:44 pm
the tally sheet, vote sheets, if you have not signed you have to sign it now . if your people, your friends have not signed they have to sign it now. at the end of breakfast i'm going to be headed over to wells fargo. you can find me until 5 pm on the floor. you have to sign, i will be under our safe side, you have to sign the tally sheet by 5 pm or we cannot cast your vote. everybody understand that? okay. on the way out, go back to registration. we have cell phone chargers and get from our friends in the porch indian tribe, pick up your guest passes for the hardluck event you want and we will see you all down there, thank you for a great morning. >> all right guys, we are on time. we are ending on time, we're going to keep that up all week . [inaudible conversation]
4:45 pm
>> up next here on c-span2 we take you back alive to philadelphia for a conversation from the atlantic magazine about women in politics. we will hear from activists and women serving in the georgia general assembly and boston city council. it should get underway shortly, live coverage from philadelphia here on c-span2. >>. [inaudible conversation]
4:46 pm
[inaudible conversation] [inaudible conversation] [inaudible conversation]
4:47 pm
[inaudible conversation] [inaudible conversation] [inaudible conversation] [inaudible conversation] >>. [inaudible conversation]
4:48 pm
>>. [inaudible conversation] >>. [inaudible conversation] the atlantic magazine has opened discussions both in cleveland and here in philadelphia. their final discussion for today looking at women in politics live here at the fieldhouse sports bar in center city philadelphia just a mile or two north of where the convention is happening. the convention is underway by the way, just got started a few minutes ago, gavel in for this evening.
4:49 pm
the rollcall of the state and the nominating between five and seven tonight and of course all of our coverage is over on c-span and you can follow anything you want as well, find anything you want we covered online on-demand at c-span.org. >>. [inaudible conversation] >> hi, good afternoon. hi everybody. welcome to the atlantic, cocktail caucus with refinery29. i hope you're having a good time this week, getting
4:50 pm
enough to drink and eat. i'm emily linzer, senior vice president of communications for atlantic media and the topic today is young women rising: america's next top voter and that's with a? because that's what we are going to be talking about and the focus is millennial women. those perhaps of an older generation, refinery29 is a digital destination design to help millennial women live in their words, a stylist created and inspired life. millennial's are a pretty big topic these days as i think we can agree and it's no wonder they are currently the largest share of the living population passing baby boomers . here today we are talking specifically about young women and the expectations that they could have a pretty significant impact on this election. we had a great panel for you and of course we hope that you will to, facebook, instagram, snap chat whatever it takes and the hashtag is the atlantic dnc and i'm proud to introduce georgia
4:51 pm
state representative stacy abrams. [applause] she's the house minority leader for the georgia general assembly. next is jen missionary, executive director and a founding staff member of young invincible which is a national nonprofit which focuses on empowering young women with information. arianna presley, she was first elected to the boston city council in 2009 becoming the first woman of color ever elected to the council. [applause] and join us is actress amber tamblyn, he starred in the sisterhood of the traveling pants movies and has appeared on the hit template television shows 2 and a half men and house after getting her start on general hospital . [applause] guiding today's discussion,, refinery 29 executive editor of global news. and the atlantic, senior
4:52 pm
editor alec wagner. thanks. >> thank you guys for joining us. as far as i know, the pinot grigio is still flowing so get your wine on. for all of us teetotalers on stage here we will be able to have our chardonnay when we are done . in an hour or two, hillary clinton is going to be nominated as the first female to lead a major american political party. [applause] i think there could be no more relevant backdrop against which to discuss women in politics and specifically young women so i want to start with one back story from this election season that has glaringly to me among many others and that is the goal among women in terms of young women supporters and who older women have supported. young women in particular
4:53 pm
have overwhelmingly supported bernie sanders and that has given rise to a whole conversation about why so let me pose that question to you first and amber, maybe i can start with you. what gives? what was that all about? >> is this panel 3 and a half hours? >> we will be here till fall. >> there's so much to you in this way and so much that has to do with feminism and women's feelings about feminism or as roxanne gatewood called bad feminism, people who hate their own identity as women, people who believe they deserve more, people who believe they deserve less but there's such a conflicting experience, female experience and i think that so much of it has to do with a lot of the older generations are seeing something and are probably more use to having hillary around and have seen her for
4:54 pm
a longer period of time, have seen her mistakes, has seen all of it so they've made a longer-term judgment towards her that i think younger women haven't really experienced yet so i think that has a lot to do with the divide between the two and both sides are as we've seen extremely passionate about what they believe in. and each side sees both what they hate about themselves as women, their weaknesses, all those things and what they love, what they yearn, what they hunger for. >> arianna, on that note i think as amber brings up, there's a debate about what feminism means and what female empowerment means and you think it means different things to young women versus older women? >> i think it was a different thing to everyone in and you know, one of the challenges we face is that we continue to talk about any
4:55 pm
constituency, any protected group as a monolith or even to narrowly divide were to find them on one issue for example if you look at millennial's and the continuum of the millennial experience and how diverse that is and what a wide that is, yes, there are millennial's that are very concerned about whether college will be affordable but in the same bandwidth, there are millennial that are looking for loan forgiveness who have already gone to college so there's an incredible complexity and diversity there that needs to be on path and we've got to do a better job of challenging elected officials and media to not talk about any of us as a monolith and to make sure but diversity of our stories and narratives are being told. i want to know what's happening with black
4:56 pm
millennial women. trans millennial women. i want to know the totality of that experience and i think we are missing that diversity of story and narrative and so we continue to be talked about and campaigns will engage us as a monolith and around one issue . >> i think to that point, about 30 percent of millennial's are young parents so often when you hear conversations about the issues facing young people, there we go. i don't know if you heard that but about 30 percent of millennial's are young parents so we are talking about the link wide range of issues facing young people, we talk about issues facing students and that's a huge issue, don't get me wrong, we work a lot on that issue and it's incredibly important for young women for a variety of reasons i can get into but also issues around family economic security, young women that are starting to think about having a family or already have, those are millennial's and those are young folks now. >> go ahead. >> if i can add one more it's
4:57 pm
that when we talk about millennial young women, african-american and latino millennial's supported hillary more than what young women because for a lot of women of color, there was a deeper conversation for them about hillary because their issues are different and i think that's a point about the diversity and the tendency to speak about millennial's not only as a monolith but to ignore the fact that they are the most diverse community except for the one now. i'm from generation x, i thinki'm the oldest person sitting up . >> that may or may not be true. >> but i think the experiences and that goes to the conversation about identity and a conversation about community, for a lot of those young women college is not even on the table because they are struggling to get through the school systems as they existed and where college did not become an
4:58 pm
opportunity so there was no resonance for them in the conversation about college debt, they're trying to figure out how can i have a job? it's important for us to not only unpack but be thoughtful about the fact that the media presentation of millennial's as a sort of upper-middle-class, upwardly mobile is not representative of the vast population of millennial and because of that we have to have a more complicated conversation not only about their feminism because i think that's part of it but how they lived at feminism in their lives and in the political choices. >> the bureau of labor statistics show the average 29-year-old and is living with a partner, not necessarily married in a suburban area and doesn't have a bachelors degree and where and how can candidates like hillary clinton that vast and interesting experience that millennial's have rather than seeing them at that monolithic group, what do they need to do? >> i would start by saying starting to have a conversation about where people are, not where they want them to be. i am from the south and we
4:59 pm
actually vote and exist and we voted for hillary this year. this is great, this is a good thing. but the challenge there is that the conversation has to be different the fight or 15 for example is a wonderful soundbite but is difficult in right to work state where we can barely get them to go about 525 which is george's minimum wage and so there has to be a conversation that is dealing with the exact issues facing them and i think that's where elected officials are so necessary because someone like mariana who has the ability to talk in boston about the issues and then it boston community. i have the capacity to speak about what's happening in georgia. we as elected officials have to basically take hillary's message and distill it down to the community that we can reach and our responsibility as elected officials is to know those issues and be able to create a residence conversation because of them even on an issue like student
5:00 pm
debt, young women and roll in college at higher rates but they might be facing higher debt burdens to pay back their loans when they're not actually earning as much. and actually what we found in a lot of our research is that the folks were struggling the most >>
5:01 pm
>> and don so many different platforms but it was the unreliable tall constituency in terms of turning out at the polls. so all to believe you want to know how do we ensure all the voices of the millenials are being heard and campaigns and candidates are doing their due diligence to address people in their totality and not a caricature with the #in one issue we need to millenials at every level to engage in people are quick to refer to them as the generation -- generation of discontent i know that is necessarily a bad thing it is said to
5:02 pm
apathy there is so much more to be disenchanted. >> day think this has changed that idea with spending capital? has this changed that calculation? >> yes absolutely especially with bernie sanders. >> the way they can activate numbers in that narrative but a november 8 there probably will not show what. has that changed with this campaign? >> i think so with the gathering of young people in what struck me was i am the member of the much vilified media because here is the
5:03 pm
gathering of young people who were sanders supporters taken to the streets part of the call and response but they also understood that hillary clinton was the nominee in to move the ball for murder and a host of issues federal the vote for her but that is to shed at present they thought was ranked so much of the nation was founded of bad is it changing can we get more young people in office not just go for them? >> yes. i think everyone has said is so right on and also talking to new everybody in their
5:04 pm
great example is the agenda idea of white women taking care of the other white women my age and not looking at what they need as well as they all support each other in rise to the cape -- to the occasion just because they call myself minority as a woman that doesn't mean i see the larger and bigger issue but sold it -- so much of that and why so many was because of that feeling that originally hillary left them out there were feeling that anger and frustration at though larger level of inclusion and they think there is the real sense that
5:05 pm
they want to say they are rounding up as they all support each other but the actions to reflect that i have seen a lot of changes in that regard because i am talking about their right dallas saw important such a big and important step yes we come from different backgrounds we can now get behind the same candidate because we hear all represented and cared for and we knew this individual types of women. >> i do have great hope for our future because what ic is the of recognition of the intersection malady if you look at the movement of
5:06 pm
black lives matter or climate changes in those issues they are incredibly diverse slate encouraged by that there is that intersection maliki and ultimately we have to support this to transition from activism into policy to see real systemic and sustainable change. >> so there is a lot of work to be done to see if they can't engage in a judicial way. >> let me ask you a data question i am assuming of
5:07 pm
those electorate votes more often and more of a participant you were more actively likely to run for office? >> i don't know that. i do know if they are voting the elected officials will pay more attention we do a lot of work post-election how day are showing up at the district office talking about the issues they are facing indian people we work with they want to be engaged in show up nobody is shown them how to do that sweating there needs to be a lot more work done. >> i remember i worked a the
5:08 pm
polls when i was 17. [laughter] >> that was a stripper joke. [laughter] >> all you to do was sideman but i remember sitting there marking off people's names and thinking this seem so terrifying how does somebody side up there is so much information i think that is the fear that had to even begin? there is so much language out there and all the scary things some will say you didn't know there was a warrant for your arrest. >> also with the anxiety round of voting the moment that you decided to be a
5:09 pm
catalyst. >> geiger but very political family working for candidates but we worked for -- for but we had to engage government different ways agra trying to understand to also be part of the oppression and my parents were extraordinarily involved in the community but it took so what they were direct action people so why are you helping one person after another? that is a lot of people so for me the conversation was how you maximize this effort i wanted to start to be as bureaucrats but the more i did the job and he needed someone that worked for government to run for office
5:10 pm
because that nexus of politics saddam policy is how it works too often people that are elected through successive offices understanding it is a the end of the story but the beginning. >> but the idea.
5:11 pm
5:12 pm
5:13 pm
>> so talked-about. [laughter] >> we have a big group into making the groundwork everybody wants to do the recorder back at the super bowl but also look at those offices how women are up and down that spectrum. >> it is and rocket science
5:14 pm
you see the politicians leander's sister came to visit me at the capitol but i will say it demystifies the complexity of the job to job mr. reed and ask questions a is and we do this every day the second point is money we're afraid to ask people to give us money if you do keep you should be afraid what that means women have to understand it isn't that hard one of two things will happen if you say yes you have money for your campaign if they say no then you go to the next person i don't run for office because there is something i will gain as
5:15 pm
an absolute but i know is a person i want to speak for the people who have experience is like me we have to get past the notion of chiapas that you run for the you have to run for president if you run for the school board or city council or the loyal conservation most people never run you will win the new are done in your own time. >> stacey has done an incredible job reflected in her own staff to be intentional about the of entering. they are often considered underdogs so we need a bench
5:16 pm
of women behind the women with the reward to be found with a the winning field plan so we have to build that bench for women who do aspire to run for office you have to run before you run do not contrive after you decided you will run something with public safety or education it is and dad waters stir and candidate from central casting. so your platform should be an extension of your values spirit and want to announce to everybody i will be
5:17 pm
running. [laughter] >> faq for your support berkeley of a couple of questions from the audience. to give us your name and where you're from. >> thank you again for assembling the panel the incredible all discussion i am hearing next generation about millenials women not being intimidated could that be related to the presidential candidate clinton to have that historical perspective for intermit -- intimidation between that and what older voters may feel?
5:18 pm
>> is this generation different from others the? >> maybe we can speak a little more broadly around the generational differences but we you're talking about those that our digital natives that our critical the candidates are in a great recession so those who saw their parents lose their home and saw the cost of college skyrocket implement in the family struggle so all of those play into the consciousness so that plays into how people view the election.
5:19 pm
>> is there a feeling among some older women voters the young women did it knows that struggle or how to overcome that? >> those that just organizing for hillary in new hampshire they are very fortunate to have a governor and congresswoman and senator and it was sort of a disconnect with the glass ceiling really is because all around them they see that representation their arch the lines of demarcation i did a reverse campaign and i was 10 of life fell mentored by their example and richards those
5:20 pm
that have incredible inspiration from today with the impact that they had on me and they never heard of her son the history shapes you in different ways. >> one more question. >> just introduce yourself. >> i am matthew from d.c.. they are just wondering what people on the panel think about the role of transmitting and reproductive rights. with but we are talking about this.
5:21 pm
>> ultimately all advocacy begins to the elevated consciousness and because of movements like black lives matter because of the public accommodations inseminating is that were happening at a policy level our consciousness is elevated so i do believe we will be better informed your better educated and not a single issue to go far beyond public accommodation and that begins with police brutality. >> you got me on that one. >> deleting a was say is any statistic with the same
5:22 pm
notion of community and fighting together to talk about reproductive rights not just talk about my people but everybody that is a major part of the discussion and the fact that i donau should tell you what >> that affects men and women. >> at least that is what i hear. [laughter] to understand two o your reproductive rights. >> gone that note we will have to wrap it up things for your time is. [applause]
5:23 pm
i am not running for soil conservation budget tomorrow morning at 9:00 we will see how hillary clinton might governor she is in the white house to have that policies with the chair the clinton campaign john podesta to read is worthy to be highly captivated so we will see you back here tomorrow. [applause] [inaudible conversations]
5:24 pm
5:25 pm
5:26 pm
bernie sanders road to the dnc delegates from was gone since this morning at breakfast hosted by the democratic party she called for democrats to unite behind hillary clinton will also hear from the wisconsin senator baldwin and the montana senator tester. >> was sent yesterday an amazing day? [applause] i think we will hear about the first lady's speech for many years to come she knocked it out of the park and now we have music going. i have a cold that i am
5:27 pm
fighting i think if you turn off the music you can hear me better. michelle obama opted out of the park yesterday to have such great senators like elisabeth warda and bernie sanders give us such a progressive message to emphasize why we are democrats that is great to hear. [applause] we're really excited to hear what is in store for us tonight with president bill clinton addressing all of us will be another amazing night i will enjoy sharing with all of you. before our speakers this morning and we have an incredible line up of late to call up the party affairs director to do some business update she isn't maybe later so i'll start with the first
5:28 pm
speaker we have the president of the united steel -- steelworkers to begin to international president of the steelworkers in 2001 and they have been fighting tirelessly for workers across our nation i'd like to welcome him to the stage. [applause] >> a lot of microphones appear. >> to just want to say the same thing the speaker just said that was an incredible night last night unbelievable with this speech by old michelle obama will go down in history i never thought i would get to say something like this, but after watching morning television, i think donald
5:29 pm
trump is right the media is fundamentally dishonest i watched morning television and rather than focusing on this beecher the speeches they were focusing on things that happened two days ago or the fact that the bernie crew that was doing some yelling during the day they did not talk about what happened yesterday were we were more united than we have been in years with the most progressive agenda we have had in years, everyone is committed to make sure donald trump is not elected or the speakers are just unbelievable i was thinking about that relative to what happened at the republican convention. who were the speakers at the republican convention? that guy from the wwf? [laughter] for us in the labor movement
5:30 pm
, we seem to always tell the leadership and membership, this is the most important election of our lives this time it is really true. where i have been saying to our folks if you have to get inspired by how hard you have to work and how much you got to do to make sure donald trump never sets foot 1 mile of the white house then take a second close your eyes think about waking up the day after the election in think they she gets to appoint three more supreme court justices just like him. think of what that does to the country think of what that does to the future and let me just say our regional
5:31 pm
director is here with me today he works so hard to try to defeat scott walker we need to make sure that although he is leaving we have to make sure what he is leaving behind the best way to clean that up is to elect more democrats. [applause] or people who understand i want to say as i get to travel around the country with the union, martha is recognized as putting together one of the great campaigns the structure that we need to win and i absolutely believe russ feingold will come back to the senate.
5:32 pm
[cheers and applause] he has one of the great campaign managers working with tom russell he will do a great job to make sure that we elect not just ross fine gold but also hillary clinton. [applause] to make sure she cringes the so-called glass ceiling i have two daughters and a granddaughter and a grandson i thought the show last night was spectacular run she talked about that and so what is bernie sanders and elisabeth. [applause]
5:33 pm
this election is not about us most of us that are here have had a pretty decent life. this election is about what our kids and grandkids will have their young people here this election is about you and the kind of future we handover to them and i really want to say that i believe if we work hard enough that we will win this election once we get past these conventions and people start paying attention, you will have to ask yourself how could he even come close to winning the presidential election? we took care of mitt romney and in one of those ways was by forcing him to disclose his taxes. just last week or maybe the
5:34 pm
of a week before, the mitt romney spoke out publicly and said the only reason that trump would have for not releasing his income taxes is there is a big bombshell of things said he has our has not done or should have an mitt romney said i anders stand that because i had to make that choice and when i released my taxes i didn't do anything dishonest, but people thought i did. donald trott is a moral when he wakes up in the morning so i know you have a busy schedule a lot of things you want to do today. i just want to say one more thing about trump he came to
5:35 pm
pennsylvania. i live in pittsburgh he stood up at the scrapyard in to he talked about he knows what it is like to be a steel worker. this is a guy he went to work with kid gloves. not working was inherited a small fortune from his father the guy who had 67 bankruptcy's. i have to ask you a question how do they grabbed a casino with the house always wins? [laughter] [applause] jube crept the casino deliberately loaded up with the debt than afterwards you turned into a bankruptcy chapter 11 then still fall of small business people the workers in the people and i took a lot of money out of
5:36 pm
atlantic city he said. so when i say no rights or no experience and no voice to say he knows what it is like to be a steelworker. he gets his clothing line made in el salvador and bangladesh and everything he has touched as elizabeth warren has centcom he made his money by stiffing other people. he made his money by taking care of himself at the expense of everybody else. ask yourself name one individual besides himself or one project that he made that benefited workers for the middle-class. that created real jobs. right now appetizer of it is
5:37 pm
still the trump taj mahal the workers are a strike to get a decent living in a dead los angeles not los angeles, las vegas, he spent half a million dollars to keep his workers at the casino from getting a union after he lost all of the labor board cases he still tries so or as to go the next couple of days into the work to make sure we win the election think about the supreme court, these young people in this is a guy who never did anything for anybody but himself. solidarity forever on to victory. [applause]
5:38 pm
>> the way we are really going to make ted difference to working-class families all over the nation is to partner with great to workers and organizations like the united steelworkers. they cute michael bolton for everything you are doing imc is to welcome one of wisconsin's state senators in and we have heard, united states senator we are going to be sure we have to senators by electing ross fine gold. [applause] this november but we are excited to have senator baldwin is a washington d.c. she is a tireless fighter for veterans, families come all of us she knows what is
5:39 pm
at stake i would like to welcome her to the stage. [cheers and applause] good morning. and guess that means you didn't stay out too late or too early? it is great to see you also want to send out my wellcome and hello to a the montana delegation. come on. are you in the room? in to the last dutch delegation. [cheers and applause] excellent. it is so great to get a chance to rejoin you and thanks to those of you who
5:40 pm
are serving as delegates and alternates from all three states that serve as elected officials and candidates. since montana is in the house of want to give a shout to denise who i have gotten a chance to get to know over the course of her campaign for the house of representatives can do you have a great great candidate there. we are wishing you all the best in montana and i can wait to see when washington d.c. as a long line of fabulous leaders from montana. so to be reflective of standing in front of a the
5:41 pm
podium today i remembering four years ago when i stood before the wisconsin delegation in charlotte north carolina at the point where i was seeking the open u.s. senate seat to be vacated by those whose serve wisconsin over many years. at the time wisconsin had done through a lot and i will get back to that but many believe to that our chances of electing a progressive to the united states senate from the united states senate after the 2010 elections was a slim and a grim but you proved otherwise in the state proved otherwise and i
5:42 pm
am grateful to you for working so hard to make better reality. [applause] >> i have had the distinct honor to work with you and for you on some of the most critical issues facing our nation. yet i know to bring so many of those issues across the finish line, we need to win the elections. for example,, last weekend was so proud to introduce along with cory booker, wasn't he grey last night by the way? [applause] one of the most consequential all anti-party
5:43 pm
plans we have seen in the united states in a long long time. but yet we know what the effort it will take to make the difference in parts of this measure has to do with the tax system that has favored those at the very top for decades and decades promising a the benefits were is the trickle-down and they haven't that hasn't worked and we know it and now it is time to tackle poverty by expanding the earned income tax credit, said the child tax credit, by leveling the playing field in the tax code may be we call that
5:44 pm
trickle up. i am proud to be the author of a measure that closes a carried interest loophole this tax benefits those who run hedge funds and allows them to pay a lower tax rate and the hard-working truckdrivers in nurses and teachers and as part of the effort to level the playing field and the tax code. i am proud to be the author of the act which is our path to debt-free college in america. [applause] as i travel the state trust not only am i disturbed so deeply by those shouldering mountains of debt just to have gotten their
5:45 pm
undergraduate degree from a public institution, but i am deeply disturbed by those young people who not even sure they will aspire to college because they have seen with other siblings are relatives so indebted and they are afraid to do this team -- the same it is time we rethink our commitment to education wisconsin was a leader overworn century ago as one of the first states to guarantee k through 12 education for all young people we understood our important that was. we also know that is not enough anymore to get a job to support a family and we have to expand that
5:46 pm
commitment to include higher educational so. [applause] i also am proud of introducing something called the brokaw and acted on no if wisconsin is in the house but let me tell you about a town about brokaw wisconsin, a village. they hosted a paper mill for over a century as part of the up paper company that company was taken over essentially by an activist hedge fund decided to extract all the of profits
5:47 pm
and close the mill. it was not unprofitable when it was closed. hundreds lost their jobs. and there was no accountability in this is happening with increasing frequency across the united states. and we have got to do something about it. when i went to brokaw, to meet with of millworkers their jobs were lost before i was elected to the united states senate, but they check out their picture books to show the pictures of solders and grandfathers who worked in the middle that was the heart of their community recall liberal, because the entire village became insolvent the
5:48 pm
biggest employer was gone and this cannot keep happening i have introduced the borough, act in the name of that community so we can fight back against these activists hedge funds. [applause] i am also wanting to share our efforts to make sure that we can fight back and change the entire dialogue of a woman's right to make choices and control her own body in almost every stage of the union and certainly at the federal level we have been on defense for years. years.
5:49 pm
i was proud to introduce along with senator plimpton call from connecticut the women's health protection act and let me just describe briefly what the act does. it is framed in many ways after the voting rights act that may sound a little surprising but if you think about it when it was passed in response to state after state erecting artificial barriers all sorts of things that were not what they say they were. actually was like what we see today, measures aimed at keeping people away from
5:50 pm
accessing their rights to vote or speaking in a democracy. but this creates the same sort of test to say was the measure passed to prevent access or to protect a woman's health or life? if the court says it has nothing to do with helping promote safety it is presumed unconstitutional. [applause] in debt will change the debate we are having in this country thanks for indulging me to talk a little bent about the work i have had the honor of doing in the senate on your behalf and on behalf of the people all across the country.
5:51 pm
but i need partners. i need a partner in the white house and i need a partner in the united states senate from wisconsin to help get the job done. [applause] to help level the playing field. [applause] to help the lawman's right jujus and in this regard regard, you all know that and you are here because you are committed to do the work necessary to make that happen and i am so grateful for that. i said i would return to what we know it and learned in wisconsin because i feel that on a national scale b.c. we have seen in our state all over again it is deja vu to many of you here, i enjoyed a cold
5:52 pm
february and march timeframe marching again scott walker is a tax on working people and impel labor unions. [applause] how many marched around the space madison? thanks for that and making your voices heard. it was devastating to us in so many ways because we are proud to be the first eight to give public employees collective bargaining rights of first-aid to pass compensation laws in the first eight to pass unemployment compensation the first is so many regards but to see that torn apart was crushing. we also know that the divide and conquer tactics were
5:53 pm
used wisconsin is a stage where for years or decades we could disagree on the issues but still break bread and enjoy one another's company but now we have seen families divided by a the politics of our governor we have ceded policy cheer preview tbilisi in the united states now with the presidential candidacy of donald trump. we can tell you a little bit about what that experience is like and how hard it is too light in the moment a little bit, i described donald trump does not a more then scott walker with a spray qian.
5:54 pm
[laughter] but we go in order to make progress we must win and we must win elections we must elect ross fine gold to be my progressive partner. [applause] if we must elect hillary clinton and to be president of the united states and we must work together rather than allowing anyone scott walker or donald trump to split the party because we are here and we care about our fellow citizens our neighbors, to make sure we respect the dignity of work to allow people to get ahead in our nation. thanks for having me here. [applause] for all your support.
5:55 pm
[applause] >> thank-you senator said with a script and the small paper mill towns i watched several committee members lives change before our eyes it is so nice to have someone like senator bob quinn fighting for the little people and the hard-working people of our state. thanks again. [applause] speaking of people out there fighting for the working class, our next speaker senator tester is a strong defender of medicare social security and wants to ensure
5:56 pm
all children have the quality of quality public-school education and once to be sure that any family that the health care can get it so when a medical tragedy hits than a dozen destroy their life any more than the actual medical emergency we don't want people to go bankrupt because they got cancer's rye will welcome him to the stage so as soon as he is here we will welcome here at him in the montana delegation will be happy to see him because he is fighting for them. [applause] [inaudible conversations]
5:57 pm
[inaudible conversations]
5:58 pm
5:59 pm
[inaudible conversations] >> okay everyone he will be just a few more minutes for garcia's parking. to look at the communications instructor to be sure that we know and have very thing that we
6:00 pm
need. in november. [applause] >> good morning. os/2 zero ben talking with the portrait in stark contrast to what we saw from the republicans in cleveland last week they were important on the first day of the convention after seeing a dark or even apocalyptic version of america portrayed by donald trump on thursday night that they see a party that savings america is all about
6:01 pm
and clay -- inclusion of course, to be communicated by a senator booker and also from senator warren how we want to reprove the economy to embrace our diversity and to celebrate the nation to have then the economy that works for everyone. . .
6:02 pm
and what is at stake for our country if we let donald trump become president. and finally as a member of hillary clinton's team i was so grateful for senator sanders speech last night where he laid out not just the shared goals that he and hillary clinton have for this nation and offering his support for her and was really proud as democrats we saw hillary clinton supporters come together to cheer for him and obviously you had senator sanders supporters come together to cheer for him. this has been a very passionate spirited important primary with a lot of important issues that have been, that this primary has brought to the forefront and i think that you

15 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on