Skip to main content

tv   Book Discussion on Off Script  CSPAN  August 24, 2016 12:39am-1:51am EDT

12:39 am
from struggling in communities around particular issue. from the outside in. so as we celebrate the progress we need to acknowledge project mia in chicago, black youth youth project 100, the dream defenders, fight for 15, all of these grassroot organizers who are lifting up the banner ofofti democracy. >> it is very interesting, thank you so much for that. it's on siebel to listen to thiw wisdom and understand really what is that the foundation of what's going on.'son there's an economic piece to this. i want to go to ferguson. ferguson of all places is really trying to change the dynamic that is happen there. that was after the michael brown
12:40 am
death. we understand they tried to raise our taxes and increase taxes to reform the system., dos to that kind of thing work after you have a system that's focusing on certain groups and getting revenue from certain groups. getting citations to the scripts they get more money for money budgetary needs. >> the ferguson situation - fact they're trying to raise taxes from poor people word are ready been hit. yet people who you cannot afford to register your car so you leave it in your driveway. this means means you're not driving the car. however you get citations for the car that sitting in the driveway and after you get one you, you get another one and another in the next thing youad know you over $1500 which he did not have. if you had it you
12:41 am
would have registered your car. then you are arrested for having essentially unpaid warrants in your spending time in jail. the department of justice found that the way that they find people was racially biased and extremely unfair. fergus is no different from small places but let's look at what happened there this week. the judge rolled their system for the board of education -- thus they defended the election, essentially they elect people so three of the seven members of the board of education are african-american. where ferguson is more heavily african-american. if they they did district elections third before, at least four of seven african americans on the school board which would mean a majority, which would mean that you'd be able to do some of the things that ferguson has not been willing able to do. so when you look at ferguson you look at it as a microcosm.
12:42 am
you look at the fine piece and the fine pieces connected to the differential status that they experience in our society. you talk about the commission of the material conditions in which they live. as lions we have accounted, the black unemployment rate is twice that of the white on appointment rate. it still at this point about 24%, 40% of our young african-americans live in poverty. this is more then i've seen in a long time. it had picked up slightly. you mentioned the wealth data and today it is black women single payday. what does that mean? me? if a black woman wanted to earn the same and so white man had earned, she would have to work until today. august 20 third. 23rd. is a white woman would only anan
12:43 am
equal pay date is april 12 or thirteenth. and and a latina woman would be working until october. these are some of the inequalities that are basicallyl hardwired into our system. not to mention the differential levels of home ownership for that we took real big hits during the great recession. the homeownership level is dropping a we can virtually, any piece of data that you look at shouts out these inequalities.ly what is that matter #wealth matters with pleasing because you have something to bail somebody out with. you talking about bail many african-americans don't have a whole. wealth matters in terms of access to education. we know that both zip codes and higher per capita income also have better schools related with them. as a school it becomes a bridge to you going to go to college or
12:44 am
not. i recognize in the audience mason who is the president of the district of columbia and this is his third time as hbc president. i've the honor of doing it once the reason i mention this school is that our kids are coming outo of school, help me if i'm lying, coming out of school with five figures of debt. that kids with almost twice as much as white kids. then when they're coming out, if they can't find jobs many say why she go to college if i can't find a job. we see the economic differential hardwired into our system. our basic unwillingness to confront them because when we confront them we have to ask,c doctor king had says there's 40,000,000 poor people in america and you have to ask,d what kind of society creates 4 million poor people and he said you have to ask, who owns the oil.
12:45 am
who owns the ire or. if the world is two thirds water why should we pay water bills. last let's not to work but the fact is that doctor king really talked about socialism. about distribution and about the division of wealth and the decision of labor. lab something that metal folks class a black and white are willing to compress. nobody wants to share theiro sh wealth. >> you're so true and correct. i understand of doctor king and bobby kennedy would've lived, they they would have dealt with issues of poverty together.r. not just black poverty but overall poverty.all this is cyclical and it all plays into the issue of policing once again. everything is connected. i want to go back to something that eddie said. he he said the wannabe police situation that happened in stamford florida and that was the george zimmerman shooting of chelan martin andor
12:46 am
the stand your ground issue which is real. i want want to go to victoria about it. talk to us about the issue of stand your ground. is in their 23 states. >> for so i do want to thank you april and everybody for having me on this panel on politics and prose because i'm a novelist. i make this stuff up. >> all know. >> is my 25th novel is the stand your ground, i love it and i love what he set for the politics of disruption. f d i wrote that novel because we do not know about the stand your ground law. we just don't even know about it. and i researched it extensively. what i found is that the stand your ground law gives people the right to become place. to so not only do we as african-americans have to deal
12:47 am
with the 750,000 police, i'm not they're bad, but the stand yourl ground law allows people to become policeman. to carry out justice on the street. >> was of this with the georgeic zimmerman another. >> so when i wrote, i wrote the book because so many people did not know the law. one of the things that i know a lot about readers is that they did not want to read a nonfiction book about all of the facts. so i figured if i sugarcoated it and put it right inside a story filled with drama and all of that, i would get the point across about the fact that stan your ground is a legal license to murder. it seems to only work when our boys are on the ground.
12:48 am
when i was doing the research for this novel, i found out that when it's about a white person using stand your ground versus a black person and they shut that person, it works and about 17% of the time. black to white works less than 1%. this is justified by two different studies. so that is whether it is a stand your ground state where there are 23 states that have theat stand your ground loss. the first law came in 2005 in florida and so when i wrote the novel, i decided not to put it in florida because i knew knew most people side and said that ain't me. that is other people.ded not so i put the book in pennsylvania.
12:49 am
revers were saying to me i can't believe victoria made a mistake like that. then they researched it and were like oh my gosh, v it's 23 states. so i felt that in order for us to repeal the law or have a to repeal or change it in any kind of way, would have to know about it. then i'm just hoping that through knowing about it that we can have the politics of disruption because we have got to change. there is something that has to be done without law. we are having problems with police now, we have turned america into a police state. with the stand your ground law. >> you said 23 states states and you said something very critical yesterday. you said we are expecting, victoria said something very critical yesterday to me so we have 23 states now but seeing the progression that's going to happen in more states. >> it was 23 when i wrote the
12:50 am
book. so then arkansas has added recently. all these these other states also have it on the table. this is the challenge with stand your ground. it is a state law. it is not a federal law. so quietly the state legislators are just passing this law without people paying attention. that's the major problem with it. that's why it cannot be repealed nationally. the state senator in, alan williams was trying to have it repealed is working very hard. he's having a hard time. he believes that if we can have it repealed in florida which is the first state that it may start a domino effect, the same way that florida got it started. since 2005 we did we did not even hear about this law. until the whole joy zimmerman
12:51 am
case and then you realize it doesn't work for us. mercer alexander shot into the ceiling. she said i was standing my ground because my husband beat me up all the time. in the same prosecutor who is not able to convict george zimmerman was able to convict the woman who had a license to carry gun, who knew how to use a weapon, who shot it into the as a warning shot but it's against the law to fire a warning shot. so she did the wrong thing. >> and with that, with that # bridging the divide. we have a great panel right now.
12:52 am
joy has chimed in on twitter. let's go to questions at this time. please. please go to the microphone. we're asking for questions. as we wait for those to come to the microphone into twitter, 12 someone from twitter already? >> i have a question here, wire conversations about race ignore the role of technology in shaping the past and present? >> that's a good question who like to take that? >> all take a stab at it. >> and you social media where. >> facebook and twitter. i don't do the other stuff. i don't like like it when people send me pictures of the food. i do facebook and twitter. i don't to the one that people send pictures of their food. i have a great team. my assistant is is here and i have another brother who got me hooked up with social media.
12:53 am
the support because were looking about access to capital. what we know from any number of economic reports is that there is very little access to capital in the african-american community. is looking up numbers today. only 4% of all black owned businesses have employees. most of them are simply one person. only 4%. when you look at loans, the way that loans are given to businesses, african-americans have so much less access to loans because of the issue to wealth data. the average white family earns about 52000 per year, don't quote me on these. average black family about 33,000. so were. so were looking at basically 60%. technological investments tend to be expensive investments. server talking about businesses
12:54 am
as an example of this point time you cannot respond to a federal rfp for some departments unless you do it electronically. >> what is that? >> is a request for proposal. so is the department of minority business development and so you have to get it back in their the e-mail. i don't how many people, course they went to the last minute and the internet went down and they could get the proposal and on time. but by and large, technology requires capital, capital is a huge piece of the gap. and that you have to know, i'm glad he's watching, he's done all the stuff about futuristic work in looking at the future. what we know is the digital divide means african-americans and others are on the net as differential numbers. they're not properly wired.
12:55 am
so some rural areas were not have access. it's important to talk about basically at the end of the day the capitalist system can be summarized by billie holiday. >> there's another side to technology to come is not just simply about gadgets and things that you just talked about. technologies of racial subjugation. think about the technological advances that had to be made in order for the slave trade to happen. >> think about instruments of torture and instruments of bondage. think about what happened at the level of production. with regards to cotton, with regards to coal. think about the technological development that led to the moment of cities like bodie birmingham.
12:56 am
so part of what i want to say is there's not only the digital divide there's technologies developed that actually make li more efficient, their surveillance of black bodies.. they participate in a certain kind of policing.ient, would ever you hear in response to the question of criminal justice more police training, more more police on the street it means more money for certain kind of surveillance that west have to be very cautious. >> another conversation we can have at another time the fact that many african-americans, the vast majority are not involved in technology. our black children are not going into that segment in that segment of society. you step in their code, i understand 93,000 dollars per year, you step in the door and our children are not there yet. that's another issue. >> my question is as follows,
12:57 am
what would you said most significant effects of the voter id lies in what are some of the most important ways in which the voter id laws can be repealed? >> so the family lineage. >> is a very good question. voter id, voting right is at a critical aspect of civil rights today as well as economics. there's no no question about it. if you look at what is happeninh in terms of the voter id laws, it goes back three years ago to the shelby county supreme court decision. we had a voting rights act passed in this country in 1965. people die, people were being severely and people the congressman lewis for being
12:58 am
severely in order to see this voting rights act passed. the most democratized democratized piece of legislation we have had in this country. for years after the passage, over over 800,000 new voters were registered. what happened three years ago? at a supreme court decision, 52 for decision which basically struck down a portion of the voting rights act. the coverage portion of the voting rights act. that's significant because the coverage portion was dealing with states that had a history of discrimination in voting. as soon as the voting rights act was struck down most of the states reinstituted the discriminatory voting legislation.these now the states with say it's not discriminatory on its face it we could debate that. it was discriminatory in its impact. we start we start to think about the history that we have voting
12:59 am
discrimination such as literacy test, taxes, grandfather clauses, clauses, we can debate about whether or not there is the same intent behind them, but but clearly you have the same impact. why nordic were disaffected by this legislation. so i think it's significant because all of these states pass these laws which had a disproportionate impact in terms of voting. and recently you have three federal judges. said these voting id laws have a discriminatory intent behind them. they're all passed by republican legislators in response to the reality that most blacks in that many minorities it a
1:00 am
disproportionate number of minorities vote democratic today. that's a result of a core support for the civil rights legislation and others things that have happened recently. >> some of the things of states have done have a more than one form of id for example so it's not just having to have an idea but having one form of id. it has a discriminatory effect against students. if you go to college in north carolina you live there nine months of the year you should be able to vote in north carolina but if your driver license as you live in d.c. you may not be allowed to vote. so a disproportionate impact on students and the elderly is really important to know. in addition to all the other sneaky stuff they don't make you pay attention to it. . .
1:01 am
so why is it so significant? because you will of these states passed it, and, recently, you had three federal judges. you don't need to listen to had i gone game both them. they say they have a a discriminatory intent. they were all passed by republican legislatures, in response to the reality, that most blacks and that my a sunday voting. get a preacher on sunday, walk the folks from the church to thf voting booth they try to cut that back and forth, so we have to be very vigilant and make sure organizations like thee lawyers committee have set up hotlines.olks it's our responsibly to makeo sure not only do we vote but we take other people's votes and make sure that these can start reversing some of them. >> and take the concerns of the board of election supervisors if you want to vote or register you have to go to the local supervisors and they will be
1:02 am
able to help you. >> i have another question usinr the hash tag bridging theyou ha divide. to the panel, how would you respond to someone that advocates stand your ground by referring to the values? >> what's interesting about that, it's just what we do in the south. what do you do, kill people? i don't understand what that means because the law is a license to kill. what it says because a lot of people don't know this, what the law says is you have no duty and in the past you had to retreat but you have no duty to retreat and the major problem is that it is opposite of what we teach our children on the playground. we teach our children there is no need to escalate a fight. all he did it say something to o
1:03 am
you. walk away. but then when you become an adult, we put a law in place in order for you to do offic opposf what the teach children. another thing when you were talking about the second rights amendment. >> it's the nra pushing it in to each and every state and i were to tell people to just go back and find out what's going on. >> the hunting culture and stans your ground.
1:04 am
we want to be very careful when we have this kind of vision between the hunting culture and the set of assumptions that inform the piece of legislation like stand your ground. >> malcolm x. states the future belongs to those that prepare for it today. from that position what are ways in which do you have at nice how they navigate in forms of political disruption?you have >> when you say political disruption, what do you mean? >> there is the more radical instance like the political institutions that engage by meeting with political officials to get the discrimination policies in force.
1:05 am
naacp or the institution in baltimore for the struggle. >> the woman who is a president at the college knows the mind set. >> thank you for the question at first you get a shout ou give ao black lives matter. [applause] they've looked at the policing issues who ran for mayor in baltimore in the state of the candidacy but he didn't just talk about policing. he talked about economic issues. i would encourage people principle to vote. do not believe the hype that your vote doesn't matter.ot they are in the 2008 election we have a voter participation rate of upwards 90%. so the first thing you can do is
1:06 am
vote. the second thing you can do is basically read so that you are prepared to have the kind of political conversations they would have with others and your peers. if the naacp doesn't seem toti move as quickly as they would like run for the office or better yet take over the naacp. [laughter] >> in addition to being a former college president, i'm also an activist and was pretty much a bd panther and i believe that activism, knowledge and activism go together.
1:07 am
stay engaged and stay involved. you talk about the future belongs to those that prepare for it. start thinking about which of you is going to run for public office. we need younger voices out there because essentially if you have a group and everybody's interested and you lift each other up it can be tremendous. >> in the university of baltimore about ten blocks away from where freddy gray died or where he was arrested and the riots occurred. as a law professor i would stress that in this constitutional democracy the most powerful weapon in individual can still have is a license to practice law. not only are you on the playing field but you can change the rules and make them better so i would encourage young people not to forget about the career to
1:08 am
get a license to practice because in this constitutional democracy you can still make a big difference by changing the rules. >> i am a member of fan club, and it is enormous in this area. >> with respect to economics in college debt, is it true the children of congresspeople have no debt because they don't have to pay to go to college, and is there something that should be done about that and are any of you working with the equalebt be justice project and the whole issue around mass incarceration and what you're doing to they ao commemorate the lives of the 4,000 murdered individuals that never receive justice? >> thank you for that question. >> i am not aware of any law that says two of the members of congress need to go to college for free.
1:09 am
>> do you know who gave you the e-mail? >> [inaudible] [laughter] >> many may choose to offer members of congress and other influential people a scholarsh scholarship. members of congress make about $175,000 a year and if they have multiple kids i tell you what i don't think many would do that so i would love to see the memo. there may be some informal arrangements members have colleges in their district but i don't think there's anything illegal about that. so that project is so amazing. i love their work and i think it
1:10 am
is so important.eo there are 4,000 people that and musn. list. there was a market and some people will have to help me p remember there were several that were killed. it was a massacre of black men in texas in the 1920s into the marker was put up last year and it took nearly a century to get the markets up for that. i think what they are doing is important and this is a history that we cannot forget. when asking a question about southern culture i thought lynching was part of southern culture. and the threat thereof. we all need to take equal justice. it's something worth checking out and supporting. the goal is to have a marker and every place where someone has
1:11 am
been lynched so that their name is known and the place is known. thank you so much for your question and answer. we will keep it going. thank you so much. we want to get to as many questions as we can. >> i'm from louisiana.nd the question is does thewas a di disparity between families 18-1. would anyone like to guess where that money went? >> it didn't evaporate into thin air. it's still here. >> the difference between white and black and wealth accumulation during apartheid
1:12 am
kind of demonstrates the significance of that number. where the wild plants we all know where it went. the history of america as amount mentioned earlier in terms ofntd slavery this is the most economically advantageous set up that has ever occurred in trade. it's a golden triangles that you want to understand the value. i i don't know if you saw on 60 minutes the other night, they talked about the value of american slaves that was more valuable than the land, more valuable than the industry. the money went to the slave owners and those benefiting from the labor. that's where the money is and where you continue to have the
1:13 am
disparities that continue to exist because there have been no transfer or division of that money from the beginning. >> i'm going to play the devil's advocate and ask a question i know everybody is going to get upset about but i want to see the raising of hands. listening to this answer, we all know, and we may not want to acknowledge, but we know that it's the truth that much of the wealth was built on the back of slaves. do you believe in the issue of reparations? let me see who does not. i see black-and-white. who does not believe, and i can't say this because it is on c-span but raise your hand if you do not believe in reparations. thank you for being honest.
1:14 am
let's be clear it isn't just writing a check to -- >> the institute has possession on which i sit and we have a ten-point plan for repair. r i said doctor ron bungles organization has a commission on which i sit along with a bunch of other folks. the names are now escaping me. but in any case, the point for the repair isn't just about running but it's about preparing institutions and what happens is there's money that should have been appropriately funding.
1:15 am
they've been deliberately pushed out of business. so it's not about what's everybody get a check. it's more about repairing the community that has been torn up. it was also the method by which the northern industrialists were able to expand because as soon as a plantation owner had the enslaved people, but they were able to do then was to follow against those people and then borrowing from the number of financial institutions were engaged and getting loans sogivm that when -- i always say that. tuchman who led 900 people off the plantations.
1:16 am
it's basically the property taken away. specter is an intimate relationship between capitalism. this isn't established but we also need to make it clear there is a reason we have the double-digit unemployment in the community. it has everything to do with a dual labor market. there is a reason why our home ownership is at the level it is. it has to do with the housing market and with the fact that h the last piece of legislation passed was the housing act of 1968. they never really fully implemented it. 12 years later the revolution, the ronald reagan revolution happened, and the charge was to dismantle the great society. so, here you have a history of
1:17 am
slavery. blocking folks out a full participation from the economy and you have a breakthrough brought about by virtue of the grassroots organizing. by 1980 it is all attacked so you have 12 years of trying to implement so when we ask why, we have the 13 plus 18 now.n when you ask that question andnd you do not place it in the context of the value gap in the country, then you are actively
1:18 am
discriminate or in which in some ways is the primary way that we maintain our innocence. >> you talk about one issue buta of all branches out to another. once again for those of you that have your cell phone, whatever you have com, your social media devices, with his hash tag? one thing i like the fact we have a diverse crowd bar involved in the conversation talking together not black to black or white people to white
1:19 am
people which we have seen recently that we are trying to understand the dynamic of history and how it plays a part. who would like to tackle the question? >> we used to wear t-shirts back in the day. it's a black thing you wouldn't understand. and the idea was you have to enter into the experience. you had to know the experience. you have to be committed to justice. yoyou have to be committed to ts justice work. part of what i argue that you have to be able to deconstruct the ways that we produce quality in the country and that all moments. so it's not about how do i enter as a white person or black person. are you committed to justice,
1:20 am
then you are committed to this work, period. [applause] that's exactly what i wanted to say. langston hughes said it better than i could ever even say it. basically in the column in the last stands he said save the dream for one it must be for a all. it doesn't matter whether you are red, black, white, yellow or brown. your commitment to the values in this society, to the values in this society which is of course the quality through the process we have agreed constitution. we just need to live up to the constitution. >> jimmy baldwin wrote a lot about identity and one of the things i love how he wrote about how it came to be.
1:21 am
in order to be white you have to see speaking german or irish or jewish brinkley. when you begin to break that down we understand each other better. i wish people were treated in the north probably as badly. the only thing they have as they were not enslaved. they have women who were raped because they were seen as less. so those are stories because the capitalist oppression is about exploiting the differences. so, when you look at all the
1:22 am
folks together. it seems both sides are absolutely true and some of the things they say are probably wrong but both sides are totally self-righteous. when someone is self-righteous there's no listening or communication at all. how do we overcome that and get some humility and communication to the issue. >> this is an example. what do you mean it was an
1:23 am
example? >> when you're communicating, you listen and ask questions and don't throw accusations. >> i think they were speaking from the knowledge.ople see the first thing many people see, they don't see me as a white house correspondent. it is already who i yam and to everyone here is. we can work with all of the legal degrees and the supreme court but you are still in some parts of this world and town and country a black person left dan and because other words.
1:24 am
>> i would like you to watch the videotape of this and see if that is not self righteousness. >> with all due respect, thank you for your comment. >> may be that it's just my self-righteous opinion. [laughter] >> i think that you said they are very steadfast. it seems what one might do is look at th a moment in time ande evolution. they have seen their comrades shot a.
1:25 am
they were being humiliated. i don't know how you can justify that. we have had so many cases. we need law enforcement etc. but we do not need folks to have a license to kill because they have a badge. you have a little old man in oklahoma they give the man can hardly walk straight and they've given him a teaser and a gun and he shoots somebody in the back. >> again i mistook the teaser for a gun and it weighs about three times. >> bto everybody's relief i'm sure. oakland california police
1:26 am
officers in the 1960s were recruited from mississippi, louisiana. they went to get the most they could to collide in the black panther party excuse me. >> this is a prescription for disaster. >> let me say that i agree. the communication between the parties or the dispute in the conflict. the credit belongs to those entering the arena to say what they believe. of course we believe the communication between black lives matter and those that are concerned about the police behavior these days. the key is we can make changes and we can make things better.
1:27 am
when you look at what is happening today, we need better community policing and increased training. we need cameras on every police officer to be responsible when they do something wrong. when you look at baltimore and other places is when the police do wrong they adequately punish them and that needs to be addressed. >> let me say this quickly because i know we have a question. i am not going to allow the demand that white people be comfortable. [applause] to dictate how i express my rage so this is the key.
1:28 am
there is a refusal to confront the ugliness of who we are. so when african-americans express the anger and the rage around having to engage in this public ritual of grieving over our families, these 15-years-old, weeping.ar it's okay, mommy, i am here. to express their righteous indignation in that moment and have someone say i'm being self-righteous, no. this is not to say by virtue of the fact we have a moral position that we cannot be wrong. we can't be open to convince otherwise, we can't engage in dialogue. the dialogue.
1:29 am
but i will be damned if i sugarcoat what's happening. i tel tell him i broke the story about my son. he's giving economic or feet in the part of the province and the police cruiser drives by and pulls on the site of the road to ten in the face with a flashlight, looks at his feet and this are you doing here. the officer leans in to him and says the park closes at 9:30. he says that it's only 7:30. they both lean into him and say the park closes at 9:30. he puts up his hands and says we don't want any trouble, we are leaving. i could have lost him right there. that is in self-righteousness, n that's reality.
1:30 am
we will not hear about these unless they tell it and we all have the story of a young man in our lives who've been stopped and those don't make statistics. i've been racially profiled and i want honesty. how many minorities have been in a situation with police. this is reality. i think the gentleman for his statement that this is reality. >> what is so important that this is that everything that happens, we find ourselves in a moment of having to convince others that it's real.
1:31 am
>> [inaudible] >> no, no, no. i have the floor. thank you. now that you say you want toit know how many see how many had. a gentle man back there that said we are self-righteous is that why, yes or no? do you understand the reason we're having this conversationo right now is because there is a disease that is in america i'm going to go to this gentleman of tedious issues of race and baltimore county. we need to calm the temperature
1:32 am
down and have civil discourse when it comes to this issue because you will not move mountains if you are angry. you have to be civil. i feel it, too. i need jesus christ now. but it's okay. [laughter] >> i did want to pick up on two of your comments one related to the gentleman and you focused o a couple and here you did a minute ago but a few minutes ago we talked about the equal justice initiative and if you have sent rather just mercy and don't know about the work brian stephenson does, shame on you. my students in every class read his book because it is the
1:33 am
essence of fighting not just mass incarceration but the injustice that continues to exist in society that is documented in such palpable ways and i would encourage you to learn more about his work. this is a not paid for commercial. [laughter] getting back to one of the questions i thought we were going to address tonight and maybe we didn't that ties into the discussion on technology, and the technology we didn'tth discuss tonight and the cameras
1:34 am
police are using in somedepart departments for more and more are going to have body cameras, so i am interested in your reaction to the pros and cons in this. >> when it comes to this administration i can say onene thing for sure, the compone accountability component when it comes to policing is more evident because there is a cold is not required because theream are some issues with the cost of storage and the units but the-l bottom line is we've been talking about it for years.
1:35 am
now you understand that is that whatever you said it was being self-righteous, it is the truth and i believe that is one of the best pieces. there's an evolution and it's one of the best pieces that's coming out right now that we see the videos come of this young woman had the perfect justic --l justice after her fiancé was shot. i'm the mother of two little girls. to see that crying i am okay it takes a lot to hold back the tears. that could be my mother, brother, father, on the street. as a community i'm not speaking for everybody but for a large portion. we are there, brothers and
1:36 am
sisters. that piece is one of the most critical pieces in this whole revolution of the dynamic between law enforcement and the community. you had something about what happened in baltimore. there is a story in baltimore people don't know about. >> we did have a police officer that shot an individual while he was on the ground and two other police officers came and testified at the trial as to what he did and was convicted and that hasn't been covered nationally but justice was done in that case and had several components and they testified against another police officer.
1:37 am
they were able to testify very fortunate. everybody needs to be aware of that case as well as what happened. >> they are an absolute blessing and the technology goes back. the recording showed a limit. they have their limitations and can be turned off. while it gives us more information it doesn't necessarily give you enough information all at the same ti
1:38 am
time. basically they have to be willing to believe that all police are not good and you will get people that tell you. while i'm not happy with them, often it's gratified people have to get it through their head and it does happen maybe only 5% of the police officers maybe it's only 1% but probably 75% get along alive and well.
1:39 am
we have to police each other. one of the things we didn't talk about this weekend because we talk about so many things as i would like to see a better educated police force. you have some that are as young as 18-years-old. psychologists will tell you your frontal lobe is not fully developed until you are in your 20s there should ever be a police officer that had a form of diversity training, there should never be a police officer that didn't have to be embedded in the black community and we need so much diversity. they had a case where a latino brother was shot and it turns out that community was less than 10% of the officers that spoke any spanish and so how were you
1:40 am
going to be able to communicate but you have to be willing to talk about this in harsh terms and say that it's unacceptable to behave this way. we should have zero tolerance for nonsense and maximum power dealing with diversity. >> thank you for dealing with that information on my frontal lobe. [laughter] >> i have somethin had somethino this conversation issuee from a young lady who said coming into this goes to the campaign. why do they think that it's acceptable to speak on and generalize th the issues while speaking to the predominantly white audiences that come to where we are. he's the one that got a full-page ad that cost $100,000
1:41 am
it turns out they were not even guilty. here's what he is doing, they are dreaming of voting so he says i'm talking to you and they are like okay. i'm not going to spend my time talking about donald trump. [applause] everything he does remind us of why this is so important for people to get out to vote. we do know that after today she was an imperfect candidate that we are all imperfect human beings and we look at the list of what she's done and what she says she will do. she is a superior candidate.
1:42 am
>> you have been wonderful and stuck with us tonight. have you enjoyed the conversation? [applause] >> the clustered on the floor i yours for a moment. >> if you could share your perspective how they dealt with the issue of race. >> before we even start, it is a very complicated situation and i'm just going to say that everyone has their differing opinions. who would like to pick up this one. [laughter] can you set the tone? this is my bucket of cold are we
1:43 am
better off in the public policy. and in the book i talk about president obama and race. he's the president in america, not black america. he did have to hear a two yearsd have done a lot. then he got these crazy republicans who essentially were obstructionists at every turn. when he was elected ordinarily when you pray for the president's death, the fbi comes to see you but that didn't happen.us. i wish that he had done more but he hasn't and i think that there were lots of constraints but also there were opportunities for him to do more and i don't
1:44 am
think he's taken advantage of those opportunities. >> i hear groaning.. [laughter] >> i can't take it back. >> one thing i can crystallize the point is that the town hall meeting after the shootings of the police officers and useful the townhall an town hall and ty president obama engaged in a conversation around race that had little or nothing to do. he was in that moment as i called him in that paperback edition which is coming out in january by the way.
1:45 am
[laughter] he was trying to convince white america of the reality of race as some of the reality of inequality in this country. he didn't change the frame he gave us a lot of hope and rhetoric around change. >> did you believe they let the conversation. i think that present obama was standing his ground and he came at it from what he thought was best. i really do. i think that he has never had the same experience as as many of us.
1:46 am
i tried to convince a goodto friend of mine that he, his parents his father didn't come here but with a totally different experience and i think at any given point he was trying to maneuver through this entirea thing doing the best he could. but i don't know very many people that haven't. apostates can make i' connect io speak on president obama as a professor. that's what i do as a living. i give him an a+ in angerr management. [applause]>> now w >> we can all agree on that ones
1:47 am
>> i had to be less critical of president obama than others because you need to evaluate and two categories, not one, legislation and rhetoric.ap people look at what he has said. when he did the summit the first time and filled with race, he solved the numbers drop in as a politician, which he is they want one thing that is a second term he made a judgment. when you look at the legislative initiatives i give a lot of credit. of ji we would have reduced those that exist today with some of this
1:48 am
legislation. >> i'm going to thank you and say this -- [applause] for me i'm a white house correspondent covering in 20 years january the buck i say this to say it's hard to judge the president and it takes about ten years. for anyone to think that in four years or eight years it will be solved is mistaken and disillusioned with what i will tell you is assessing him there
1:49 am
are things he could have done and things he couldn't do butth they did guide the decisions if he hadn't done what he did he became a second term as president in the united states that i will leave you with this. and this is something i put in my next book. there was a president ofere was integrated the u.s. military and he could have been one of the greatest presidents ever but thn reason why he wasn't many people are saying he can be considered one of the greatest presidentsts of the united states but one of the only reasons is race. i will leave you with this.our b
1:50 am
i would thank every one of you for this. thank you politics and prose, c-span. thank you all. there are books for sale. thank you all for coming out and having a civil discourse and honesty.

2 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on