Skip to main content

tv   CATO Institute Hosts Discussion on the 1996 Welfare Law  CSPAN  August 24, 2016 5:16am-6:31am EDT

5:16 am
him see himself through the revelation of another world. it is a insulation, this this double consciousness. the sense of always looking at oneself through the eyes of others. by measuring one soul by the tape of the world that axonal contempt and pity. one feels is tunis and american, negro, two souls, two thoughts, two on reconciled scribing's, two ideals in one dark body whose strength alone keeps it from being torn to thunder. the history of the american negro is the history of this strieff. this to attain self-conscious manhood and to merge into a better and truer self. he would not bleach is negro
5:17 am
soul in americanism because he knows the negro blood has a message for the world. he simply wishes to make it possible for a man to be put up negro and without being kirsten spit upon those are heartfelt, brave and seductive words. unlike any that preceded it and they thrilled and persuaded his admirers. indeed, there so seductive that even today it is easy to miss their intense ambiguity and how they blend people self-consciousness and forthrightness into a model late victorian mysticism. i spent much of the rest of the book explaining that model part and how it's very much a part of what dubois was talking about. making it an an audacious book but a very strange one as well.
5:18 am
this is how i conclude, to account for this, finally the strangeness and audacity of the souls of black folk arise less from broader circumstances them from the strangeness and audacity of its author. dubois pics its argument, to quality folk who prided themselves on being representative negroes. as his ideas took shape the young dubois may have been the most marginal man in america. the future profit of the color line have been born after all, i'm a lot of, and blood about one half or more negro and the rest and dutch. in massachusetts the northern state, widely considered the cradle of abolitionist. it was a state he learned early in life that was hardly free of racial prejudice.
5:19 am
at harvard, only the seventh man of african descent admitting he was one abundant praise from his teachers but felt distant from his students by his classic background of background and his color. he later right that he was asked but not of the place. in berlin where louis observes he spent some of the most exuberant and carefree days of his life, he soaked up all he could in the classroom, awestruck, proud, determined, determined to make the most of this miraculous opportunity. in germany the division into his soul deep in. as he heard his teacher one of the intellectual founders of area nationalism, the greatest of all the professors explode from the podium and the translation is, they are inferior. they feel themselves inferior. his notebook is filled with a generic self-conscious of a
5:20 am
precocious student above but with special twists and turns. descriptions of solitary ceremonies by candlelight, prayers about fulfilling destiny and descriptions of mourning over to contemplation. and a seeming to himself and his german boardinghouse, america the beautiful and steal away to jesus. then after his return, and as he completed his dr. at harvard, america's foremost, america's foremost young black scholar found himself confined in his first teaching post to the lower reaches of the black academy in what was then the third rate college in ohio, knowing he would never teach at any white college or university. in short he suffered a single fate. raised by his heroic education, the scholarly levels unreached by all but a handful of american whites who solicit a civilization civilization were
5:21 am
his color marked him as a nonperson. one who when he traveled role the jim crow car. a man everything, he would not survey for sake his recent achievements but they were utterly unreasonable. casting him of all people as a pariah. here with all its idiosyncrasies and it was on typical experience as would be imagined. but, williams, as arrogant as arrogant as he was had the prestige among his fellow blacks and sympathetic whites, he was able in the soul of black folk to translate his personal dilemma to universal drama of race and render it convincing. you continue to do that for the rest of his life, transforming transforming himself, moving around various places, but constantly propel by this idea
5:22 am
of universal drama coming out of his own soul. the souls of plaxo coming out of his own soul. never satisfied, never never rest, he kept refashioning his alienated consciousness and his continuing argo by autobiography of himself. he would carry -- over these momentous decades however the souls of black folk one him the most admirers as it does today. and so, with the sedated racialism and historical fantasies it will endure. and there lies its greatest ironies. if in its own time souls was a peculiar peculiar thing, jim crow subsequent demise made his identity far more prominent. not just for black intellectuals
5:23 am
for a newly expanded black middle class on whom the competing claims of particularism and acceptance and in america where racism powerfully abides there is now more the harder. to boys double consciousness may prove inadequate, simplistic, reducing and influences to racial terms. but if he had a level blackness in the soul of a sorrow song, and with that and it's more dubious passages of fabricated mystical it describes an active refusal. a refusal to allow alienation to become self reference or any cramped session of race. quote, i sit was shakespeare and he wins winks. across the color line i move on and on were smiling men and the welcoming women gliding gilded halls. for out of the caves of evening that swing between the strong
5:24 am
wind earth and the trace of the stars i see aristotle and what soul i will. may all come graciously with no scorn and condescension. in his reclamation of his spirituality of the oppressed and the despised he also wrote what is now a days stigmatized of the culture via. for all of their or john phrasing it took a beautiful -- to read these words in 19 oh three. the assertion of individuality and genius as well as resupply. today, in a very different but still racialist america, their beauty has not dimmed. [applause]. so he's one of intellectuals in the book but we have some hard-nosed politicians as well.
5:25 am
right after lyndon johnson must hard-nosed politician you can imagine. they're all part of the same story. the same story of politicians and egalitarians and how to go about making america the country we have known. so with that list turn to question. >> raise your hand, i have a microphone and and i will come to. >> for the first question, i need some water. as you can probably tell at the end of all that. let me get a little water. and we'll take it from there. >> what two people are we talking about? >> obviously trump and clinton. >> being rejected, you mean you
5:26 am
don't they don't like them very much. well this year's year's wacky year. let's just start with that. some we have seen an advance of and some you did not. in the case of the republican party what we are seen and we did see in some of us all this coming actually, the old reagan coalition of small government, pro-business, and should we call it the cultural war wing of the party. white resentment. oh it came on glue. and donald trump walked in and just took the nomination because of that split. the establishment have very little to offer its own people. it hadn't managed to turn back the clock culturally nor did it have anything to offer in the wake of 2008. tax cuts, it's not going to appeal.
5:27 am
trump saud and he's a different kind of candidate. was gonna come out of it is interesting. if trump succeeds in taking over the republican party, above and beyond the nomination let alone if he wins the election, the republican party will have control of every level of government. from the state governments up to all three branches of the federal government and it will take over the supreme court after appointment survey. and that's extraordinary. if he loses then there is a big fight within the republican party for the destiny of the party. and what party will be is unclear. no matter which democrat it was or it would be things would be very different. you probably have a democratic senate and you'd have a democratic supreme court, liberal supreme court. we haven't had one of 40 years. 40 years. so the countries at a crossroads right now.
5:28 am
i think the craziness racine is in part that were at that crossroads. neither party had in it a passage to deal with the problems that we're facing. i don't know if that answers your question. >> what about two people running that have been rejected. >> i don't know soap far to say that they been rejected, we'll see who gets rejected by who by the time we get to november. >> you mentioned the black middle class if one sees that the initial -- these politicians always have to speak up and they're different in that sense.
5:29 am
now when the group that is marginalized, when there is economic mobility in that group they also committed to politics. how does that play out? how will you sort of see that spot in this emerging and now developed black middle class but then gets into politics. and so what -- >> no question coming of the silver rights movement there is a political class of african-american. this book is dedicated to one of them. mr. john lewis who'd is the epitome of the combination of being a politician and a egalitarians. there is no question that there is a black political class today you can see that it is pretty
5:30 am
much held to the values that were in the silver rights movement. you created a created a black middle class but it's fragile. it's interesting to see how black voters are voting in the selection. they're going in a way that is not taking chances with the hard won victories of the last 50 years been wiped away. which in fact someone very much like to do. particularly in the realm of voting rights. they are in great stress run the country. black voters get it. like american voters historically have always been the most sensible in my view in terms of understanding their interest in what they're up against. but there is a class, no question. as the senior side of politics also part of the? sure. that's politics. this is america, democracy, you're not going to have that undone. if we fix it on that side then i
5:31 am
thank you give a politics altogether and you forget what else is there. so so that in the case of lewis there are many others. there are also people historically like jesse jackson and so forth who did not go for the political system although jackson family did when he went for president. so there's a kind of area between where politics and egalitarianism coleman go. and that's quite healthy. like all liberals they been under great pressure of the last 20 or 30 years. however we have the united states. so it's a mixed bag. your hypothesis as i understand it is the importance of partisanship. can there be too much partisanship so that it becomes counterproductive to the ideal?
5:32 am
>> i wonder what you might mean on that. what would be too much partnership? >> right now it seems like there is too much partnership here, partisanship. for example, do either of the senate when he started his role said his major role was to prevent a second term for obama. also right now we can't get a supreme court justice confirmed. that's what i mean by too much. >> another way of looking at that would be to see the difference between partisanship and hyper partisanship. which is obstructionist which is there to block senator mcconnell said. our main job is to get rid of obama. that is happened and that's been a dynamic and the political party going back to the 80s. but especially after the speaker
5:33 am
gingrich in the early 90s. the republican party because it got it it's moderate and conservative wing it sort of got into a positive feedback loop. it just kept kept moving further and further to the right. that is where i see the republican party. that's part of what i was talking about earlier. move so far to the right that is completely unstable. told establishment cannot hold on anymore because it was so riled up the base that the base was getting sick of the establishment. that's not unusual situation. not all partisanship is necessarily good thing. there is healthy partisanship and what i think we have seen in republican party these days is unhealthy. however, it will be cured with other partisans. lb care by another party coming along and
5:34 am
rebuilding the republicans, something that is less crazed, or just be defeated. and that could happen to the selection. it's entirely possible the democrats will have a search sweep election just like in 1932 they learn to reconstruct themselves differently. it's not that partisanship is always good to be the thing we have to look through to get us through. without it will will not be able to cure the problems. once bad about a market can usually be cured about what's good in america. there's something about that as well. >> my question is about the role and influence of 21st century media. we've had journalism to put thomas paine's essays, how has it marked and how has the influence morphed because of the new form? >> my answer to that is that
5:35 am
patty -- was a -- [inaudible] yes, the media has i think the media is going to run the show anyway politics. and has done so in ways that are distorting to say the least. from fake scandals on the one hand to giving donald trump billions and billions of dollars in free advertising. all you have to draw the computers tweaked. that's not normal normal political campaign but the media has a lot to do with that. i think it's also dumbed things down a lot. in every way i can think of will to many ways in which the contemporary media has enlightened or expanded the lightman of american politics. as a manipulator and this is
5:36 am
where the movie comes in if you get so many figures out to use it like someone like trump pass think a dangerous indeed. then the media comes complicit. we will remember or at least we heard about what happened when the first great manipulator of television in american political life was senator joseph mccarthy. it is televised around the country, our parents also them. we saw them as well. yet in no small part of the downfall was edward --. do you see him in our current media scene? because i would like to know who he or she is. i wish we did. but not a silly the guts both the authority. i guess a walter cronkite cronkite was less person who had that kind of
5:37 am
authority when johnson said we have lost cronkite, we've lost the country. i think what by becoming entertainment and losing all possible sense of importance the media has abandoned the role of authority that can exert. who cares what they think. people cared what cronkite thought. people cared what others thought. now they are entertainers. i want sandy names for but any one of them could actually stand up to anything or say anything which you really care? would you really be moved? i don't think so. so that is as the kids say, that's really concerning. something to be concerned about. i suppose you go back and sit facing the the crowd again and
5:38 am
realized that it might even be worse. it could be be worse than it is today. the other example of give a plug to plotting against america. these these are things you should be watching and reading the state. and everyone things turned out okay in the end. they said that the almighty looks after children, drunks, and the united states of america. so far, so good. i don't want to set up or session, that's not my intent but it's something to think about. we've been very lucky, let's hope our luck holds out. thank you out. thank you very much for a lovely evening. [applause]. one more round of applause. [applause]. >> thank you so much. ladies and gentlemen please get a copy of the book or books over here if you don't have it.
5:39 am
5:40 am
question. do make your questions a question. [laughter] and politics and prose we are dedicated to generating dialogue in our community through literary events every night of the year, here in our flagship connecticut store, other busboy imports locations and other venues. tomorrow night we night we are hosting kareem abdul-jabbar for his newest nonfiction work, thursday we are hosting the author of the makings of donald trump. please check our website for more information. tonight we are honored to bring
5:41 am
you a crucial panel of voices on race in america. this is a necessary difficult conversation and we are honored and humbled to have it at politics and prose. april is our moderator and the person who brought all these great minds together. it was white house correspondent and washington bureau chief through american urban network. her white house report is the first national radio broadcast rectally from the white house. through it she has developed a devoted audience who depend on her for honest and challenging reporting. she is the author of the best-selling "the presidency in black and white" and the forthcoming -- mothers and race in black and white. april's 30 year journalism has been devoted
5:42 am
to truth telling and an unwavering dedication to never accepting easy answers. please help me welcome april. [applause]. >> thank you so much. can everyone hear me? can everyone hear me? okay. well let there be sound. good evening and thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule and washington d.c. tonight and for those of you at home to discuss something that is a very impactful and important right now. issues of race and pleasing, law-enforcement and the community. tonight on the table we will discuss all of lives to discuss black lives in blue lives. we started out the summer in louisiana with the fatal please involve shooting of a black man. then we saw the aftermath of a fatal shooting of a man who had a registered gun in his position
5:43 am
possession. then more shootings occurred. this time in dallas, texas in retaliation for what happened in the other cities. it was a still very sad. a police officer was injured and five were tragically killed. and louisiana, shots ring out again. three baton rouge louisiana police officer skill. and just today, president obama was in baton rouge, louisiana and he met with the families of alton met with the families of alton sterling and also those police officers and families who were killed. not long after that we heard about cities like milwaukee, please involve shootings there. and so on. and just just down the road in the city where i call home and the professor calls home in baltimore, we see no convictions paid six police officers charged in the death of freddie gray. they released a scathing report against the police department in matters of race but acknowledge
5:44 am
the city police department [inaudible] these problems of tension in the community and police is far-reaching. here is a fact. i talked with the head of homeland security, jay johnson recently. he said that when there's a problem between communities and law-enforcement, when trust is broken it becomes a national security issue. once again, when trust is broken between the community and police, at the national security security issue. you ask why? because the police department asked us to say something if we see something. so the trust is broken if there is a breach. i want to to introduce my great panel this evening. next to me is michael, a law professor from the university of baltimore. he is an author and international political consultant. a civil rights, human rights and
5:45 am
constitutional expert. his latest book, ghost of jim crow. we also have eddie, please raise your hand. he is currently, you see them on tv all day today. he is currently is currently the chair of the department of african-american studies at the william s professor of religion and african-american studies at princeton university in his latest book, democracy and how laced race still slaves the american soul. also with us today, the esteemed and one and only who has long been recognized for her progressive and insightful observation. she is a labor and colorful commentator. her latest book is, i will be better off. can't wait to wait to hear what she had to say. we also have victoria, she is an
5:46 am
amazing woman. she has written so many novels and you wonder why the novelist is here, because she has a book out called stand your ground. stand stand your ground was an naacp image award winning book for 2016. she has done so much research on the issue of stand your ground, let's give all of our panelist a great round of applause. [applause]. we have one person who is stuck in new york and she sends her apology, joy reed whose book is still on sale here. she is supposed to be hash tagging and sending me a question today so you can hear her voice at least through social media. one thing we're going to ask you all today, as, as you are sitting here there's only one thing we ask of you. if you're in the conversation and you are enjoying the conversation, how many of you
5:47 am
are on social media and have your phones, i know we told you to turn him down or off. turned them down and mute it, i want you to # bridging the divide. hashtag bridging the divide. that's what that's what this is about, it's about solution. when we talk about solution and we talk about the critical issue of policing, so many of us are young and we think it is just been happening the last couple of decades or years, yeah, here some a man's going on over here. it is not an issue that just happened. it is an issue that was with jim crow and slavery. >> i would like to thank politics and prose for having us. i want an c-span for televising it. i'm happy to be here with our panelist said thank you for keeping us in line tonight. i'm happy to provide sump historical perspective on this. in fact the word patrolman dates
5:48 am
back a couple hundred years of course to slavery time. that was was when individuals were hired to catch a slave. that is when patrolman comes from. there were patrols to catch fugitive slaves. this issue goes way back in terms of police, community relation. i think doctor king said it best during the dark days of the civil rights movement when he was very discouraged and he said the arc of a more universal law but it bends towards justice. when i think about race in america, criminal justice issues, education issues, economic issues, i think about that arc and how it has a bent
5:49 am
toward justice but has been a long one. qu├ębec to the original document, the declaration of independence. we hold these truths that we are self-evident that all men are created equal. a lot of people would say that's a self-evident line not a self-evident truth line not a self-evident truth if you look at what transpired. i wish thomas jefferson, i wish the founders had left jefferson's original paragraph that he wrote in the declaration. i wish they had left it in for the final one. he critiqued the international slave trade. he criticized king george for kidnapping individuals from a distant land whenever -- him. i wish the founders would've left that in the final declaration. who knows what impact out a pad on the abolitionist movement for 100 years. i am not focusing on the negative, i recognize as many of you do that there have been tremendous changes and progress in this country over that long arc. we have ended slavery, we ended jim crow at the -- public
5:50 am
accommodation we have been elected and reelected our first black president. this is monumental. this is progress. this legislation we have passed antidiscrimination legislation hasn't made a huge difference and many minority families in this country. let me give give you an example of my own history. my data mail goal both volunteer. >> who is your uncle? >> you may have heard of him, he is one of the longest-serving -- in the country, first african-american federal commissioner. somebody who fought for civil rights in this country until he died in 1998. the judge when he was it you
5:51 am
lost in 1952 he won more oral advocacy awards than any other student in the history of the law school. where he won the prize three judges were there, one, john w davis the had a law firm on wall street. one of the most successful at that time and also two months later he would represent the board of education against linda brown and thurgood marshall. john w davis who i'm sure did not vote for to win the award, two other judges do, john w davis one up to the three finalists and asked them to
5:52 am
congratulate them and asked them to come an interview at his firm in new york. my uncle got neither a congratulatory handshake nor an offer to interview. 30 years later i graduated from that same institution in 1982. i had 1982. i had no honors like my uncle and i graduated thank you lottie. -- there is a reason for that. we pass laws, anti-discrimination laws. we encourage policies and practices from corporations to open up, to be more inclusive of women and racial minority. many families have been impacted by this. progress doesn't mean post-racial. i recognize the progress but it doesn't mean post-racial. when you look at what is going on today, the going on today, the inequities that exist today they are widespread, 18 - 1 in terms of wealth accumulation between black and white families today, 18 - 1 and that is worse than
5:53 am
what existed in south africa. i know you want to interrupt me. >> thank you. thank you. will come back to you because will have audience questions and will now let's go to you at a. talk to me about the long arc of issues of justice when it comes to the department of justice. they have been issuing pattern and practice statements and studies, talks to me about what we're seeing and how it relates historically and to today as it relates to policing. >> let me first thank politics and prose and thank you april for this important conversation. particularly in this moment. what i want to do is kind of narrow the scope of the question. and perhaps begin with what will be celebrating the 50th anniversary of the current commission -- this is in the aftermath of the riot, the uprisings, rebelling, however we want to describe them. and they tend to account for why
5:54 am
american cities were exploding across the city. the current commission report came out with a study that in its initial form was more radical than in its final form. in effect there were two americans and at the heart of the conflict was this relationship with the police, underneath and there were a host of interesting recommendations. some more progressive than others. within that report there were a host of recommendations from policing. and we continue to see that. the current commission report to milwaukee, what have we seen? we continue to see this antagonistic relationship between african-american communities and police departments. the department of justice has been pushed, not on, on, we don't want to just do celebrate those but we they have been
5:55 am
pushed to do their job so many ways by politics of disruption. black lives matter, and all of its instantiations have insisted that criminal justice be on the front line. it is precisely the aftermath of the murder of trayvon martin. in the aftermath of the deficit murder of michael brown and the doj report and the fbi and investigation and of course what they found and what they didn't find, the officer guilty of any crime but they said that the police department and ferguson had engaged in a kind of predatory policing that was militaristic to the community. they did it in ferguson, cleveland, newark, seattle,
5:56 am
should i keep on going. >> no keep on going. >> all of these reports on policing. so much so on policing. so much so that you read this in the news at the seattle tried to hold the city hostage. the judge stepped in and said you need to ask with regards to policing in that community and the union responded will do x if we get a raise. i mean that's fascinating. and then the doj just recently, this is really important filed a brief in the federal case around bail for folks who cannot afford it. for some people to pay like six bail prices and if they couldn't they be in jail. think of it sandra bland would be alive today if she had $500. what's interesting about it is that it is progress but it's progress as a result of a politics of disruption. this is a result of young people and activists and grassroots organizers putting their their
5:57 am
bodies on the line, literally chaining themselves in the lobbies of union halls in manhattan. interrupting the brunch in manhattan of the top one tenth%. interrupting your commute to work .. home from work, forcing the issue of criminal justice. forcing the issue in a way that goes beyond the claim of just simply community policing code, answers policing, but talking about decriminalization misdemeanors. you can just breathe in the united states break the law. in so many ways. what would it mean to decriminalize so many of the misdemeanors that you reduce the encounter in the contact between pleasing communities. what does it mean to get rid of bales and all the violent crime. what is it mean to decriminalize poverty? so to begin to push the issue, we see from the current commission report and now we see that change has happened, not from the beltway out, but from
5:58 am
struggles and communities around particular issues. from the outside in. so as we celebrate the progress, we need to acknowledge project mia in chicago. black youth project 100, the train finishers, fight for 15, all of these grassroot organizers who are lifting up the banner of democracy in a moment where we see the most vulnerable under serious attack by the state and its representatives. >> it's very interesting. thank you so much for that. it's. it's insightful to listen to your wisdom and understand what is that the foundation of what's going on. there's some economic peace to this. i want to go to ferguson, ferguson of all places i really try to change the dynamics of what happened there. after the michael brown case. we understand they try to raise
5:59 am
taxes, to reform the system. and people, does that that work? does that work after you have a system where they're focusing in on certain groups and getting revenue from those groups, giving citations just to those groups they can get more money in their coffers for budgetary needs. >> the ferguson situation -- trying to read text is from poor who are ready been hit. you have people who you cannot afford to register your car so you leave it in your driveway. this means you're not driving your car, however you get citations for the car that is sitting in the driveway. after you get one you get more than one and then the next thing you know you over $1500 which you did not have. if you had 1500 had $1500 you would registered your car. and then you are arrested for having essentially unpaid warrants and then your spending time in jail.
6:00 am
the department of justice found that the way they find people was racially biased and extremely unfair. ferguson is no different from any number of small places. let's look at another thing that would happen this week. the judge ruled that their system of elections for the board of education was unfair. thus they defended the election. essentially they like people now on an at-large basis. three of the seven members of the board of education are african-american. where ferguson is much more heavily african-american. if they did district elections there before, at at least four of seven african-americans on the school board. i mean a majority, it would mean that you would be able to do some of the things that ferguson was not willing or able to do. if you look at ferguson and you look at it as a microcosm, you look at the fine piece which is
6:01 am
connected to the differential economic status that african-americans experience in our society. you talk about the current commission and the current conditions in which african-american people live. as lions we have counted since the 1950s the plaque on player rate has been twice that of the white. the poverty rate in the african-american community is still, at this point about 24%. 40% of our young african-americans live in poverty. this is more than we've seen in a long time. that number has actually picked up slightly. you mentioned the wealth data and wealth data is astounding. today is black women's equal payday. that means if a black woman wanted to earn the same as a white man had earned, she would have to work until today, auguse woman there equal payday is
6:02 am
april 12 or 13. a latina woman would be working until october. these are some of the inequalities that are basically hardwired into our system. not to mention the differential levels of homeownership. not to mention mention the fact that african-american homeownership took a real big hit during the great recession. the african-american homeownership level dropping. we can virtually, any piece of data that you look at shouts out these inequalities. what is it matter? wealth matters, first road policing because you have something to bail someone out with. talking about pale, if you have a home you can use the home. more than half of african-americans don't have a home. wealth matters in terms of access to education. we know that those zip codes also have better schools correlated with them. so then it becomes a bridge to whether you going to go to college or not. i recognize here in the audience
6:03 am
of who is the president of the district of columbia and this is his third time as an hvac president. i have the honor of doing it once and the reason that i mentioned udc and the colleges that our kids are coming out of school, help me if i'm wrong, coming out of school with five figures of debt. black kids with the most twice as much as white kids. then when they're coming out if they can't find jobs many say why should i go to college? i can find a job. so we see that economic differential literally hardwired into our system. a basic unwillingness to confront them because when we confront them we have to ask, doctor king said there's 40,000,000 poor people in america and you have to ask what kind of society creates 40 million poor people? he said you see, you have to ask who owns the oil, who owns the iron or. if the word world is two thirds
6:04 am
water wash we pay water bills? so that's i can work but the fact that that's what king talks about, socialism, distribution, but the, about the division of wealth in the division of labor that is something is something that middle-class folks, black and white are unwilling to confront. nobody wants to share their wealth. >> you are so true and what you're saying. we understand that of doctor king and bobby kennedy would have lived they would have dealt with issues of poverty together, not just black poverty but overall poverty. this is all connected, this is cyclical and it's still all plays into the issue of policing , once again everything is connected. i want to go back to something eddie said. he said that the wannabe police situation that happened in florida and that was the george zimmerman shooting a trayvon martin in the center brown plant
6:05 am
issue which is really real. i want to go to sandra bland, talk us about the issue of sandra bland, so many people don't understand. >> there 23 states. for so i want to thank you april and everybody for having me on this panel and politics and prose because i'm a novelist, i make this stuff up. >> oh no, no. >> so i love what eddie said. for the politics of disruption. the reason the reason i brought that novelist because we do not know about the sandra ground of law. and i researched it extensively. but i found was that law gives people the right to become police. so so not only do we as african-americans have to deal
6:06 am
with the 750,000 police, and i'm not saying they're bad, just send there's bad, just and there's 750,000 police out there. but the sandra ground law allows people to become policemen. to carry out justice on the street. >> we saw this with george the mermen and other. >> exactly. so i wrote the book because so many people did not know the law. one of the things that i know a lot about from readers is that they did not want to read a nonfiction book about all of the facts. so i figured if i kind of of sugarcoated it and put it right inside the story filled with drama and all of that i would get the point across about the facts that sandra ground is a law, legal law to kill. it's illegal license to murder. it seems to only work when our boys are on the ground. when i was doing the research for this novel i found out that
6:07 am
about when it is a white person using stand your ground versus a black person it works in about 17% of the time. black to white works less than 1%. this was justified by two different studies. so that is whether it is a stand your ground to state where there are 23 states that have a stand your ground loss. the first law came into thousand five in florida, so when i wrote the novel i decided not to put it in florida because i knew most people thought that's not me, you don't have to worry about that. that's for seven people. so i put the book in pennsylvania.
6:08 am
reviewers were saying to me i can't believe that victoria made a mistake like that and they researched it. they're like oh my god. it's 23 states. . .
6:09 am
6:10 am
6:11 am
6:12 am
6:13 am
6:14 am
think about instruments of tor toor and what happened at the level of production. with black bodies, with with regard to coal and, the technology that led to the
6:15 am
cities like birmingham. there's not only the digital divide, and technologies that memorefficient, their surveillance. that participate in a certain kind of policing. so whenever i hear, in response to the question of criminal justice, more police training, it means more money for a certain kind of surveillance, that we have to be very cautious about. >> another conversation we can have, many african-americans, not involved in technology, our children, are not going into that segment and that segment of society and you step in there, 93,000 dollars a year and they are not there yet. that's another issue.
6:16 am
>> my question is, as follows, what would i say are the most significant affects of the voter i.d. laws, and what would you say are the most important laws. >> i'm calling you. >> your family. >> very good question. voter i.d., voting rights, is at, the critical aspect of civil rights today, as well as he he n connol mix. >> if you look at the voter i.d. laws goes back three-years ago, to the shelby county supreme court decision. we add voting rights act passed in 1965, people died, and they were beaten, like congressman
6:17 am
lewis, in order to see this voting rights act pass. the legislation we have ever had. four years after its passage, so what happened three-years ago? you had a supreme court decision, 5-4, shelby county, which struck down a portion of the voting rights act, the coverage portion of the voting rights act. why is that significant? because this coverage portion was dealing with states that had a history of discrimination, in voting. as soon as the voting rights act was struck down. most of these states, these states would say it's not discriminatory and we could debate that.
6:18 am
6:19 am
6:20 am
so why is it so significant? because you will of these states passed it, and, recently, you had three federal judges. you don't need to listen to had i gone game both them. they say they have a a discriminatory intent. they were all passed by republican legislatures, in response to the reality, that most blacks and that my moreties , vote democratic today. that's a result of course, support for the civil rights legislation, and other things that have happened. >> once again, it's important note that some of the things that states have done, more than one form the of i.d. not having to have an id but one for form, and against students, and, who are if you go for them, you live there, and, nine months of the year and you should be able to vote. but if it says you live in dc you may not be alowfed to vote. so, students and often on the elderly is important to note. in addition to all the other sneaky stuff it does. because, you can still register to vote. you still have 30 days. so make sure you, at some level have your act together, because that is critical election. the police, mr. trump has invoiked the second amendme and i am end up with more of the laws. but some of the other things, closing polls early. changing sunday voting. and all those that oppose, get a preacher, and walk the folks from the church to the voting booth and they're trying to cut that the back. so we have to be vigilant, and make sure, that the lawyers committee for civil rights have set up hotlines. it's our responsibility that we vote and take other people to vote. and make sure that they can start reversing. >> if a your concern to the board of election supervisor, if you want to vote or register,
6:21 am
you have to, and they'll be able to help you. >> this one is from kenny, how would you respond to somebody who advocates for stand your ground?
6:22 am
>> i just don't understand, another thing when you were just talking about, it, and guess who pushes these laws, and, the n.r.a. that was a shocker to me. but, it was. i just thought it was people in a room sitting around saying okay, but it's the n.r.a., who is pushing it in each and every state and go back and find out what's going on in their states. >> i'm a country boy, in mississippi. and, i want to resist the conflation of hunting culture,
6:23 am
with stand your ground. so it is true, in the south, guns are a part of everyday life. they're not framed, in the way they frame them. a set of assumption that's inform a alec based piece of legislation. >> quoting malcolm x, the future prepares for it today. what are ways or do you have advice in terms of black youth can engage in forms of political disruption. >> what do you mean? >> well there are different forms, for me, in terms of more radical thing, meeting with political officials to get
6:24 am
antidiscrimination -- >> n.a.a.c.p. >> orinstitution beautiful struggle. >> i would like to give that to a woman who is president of a college. >> thank you for the question. let me give a shout out to black lives matter. those young people have -- [applause] >> they changed the terms and conditions of discourse, and they have forced us to look at the policing issues, and, he ran for mayor in baltimore, was, he didn't just talk about policing, and economic issues. what i want to encourage young people to do is to vote. do not believe that it doesn't matter. and, we have a saying, voting bells, in the election.
6:25 am
we had voter participation rate of 98%. so you can vote. and don't vote on your own. take ten people with you. and second, read, read, read. so that i've prepared to have political conversation that you need to have with others. when you talk about n.a.a.c.p., if it, in your area does not seem to move as quickly, run for an office or better yert, take over an naacp. i was a activist. baby, baby panther, and i believe that, activist, knowledge and activism go together.
6:26 am
stay engaged and stay involved, and, you talk about those, the future belongs to those who prepare for it. start, with your friends about which is going to run for public office. we need younger voices out there, because, everybody is not going to make it. but if you have a group, and, it can be tremendous. ten blocks from where freddy gay was arrested and where the riots occurred. as law professor i would stress, in this democracy, the most powerful weapon is a license to practice law. you can change the rules. you can make the rules better.
6:27 am
it is enormous. with respect to economics, and college debt is it true that the children of congress people have no debt because they don't have to pay. is there something that should be -- >> with the equal justice. and you know, the whole issue, around mass incarceration. and thank you so much, i am not i wear of any law.
6:28 am
>> many, a lawyer, many colleges,. [laughter] >> okay. >> thank you. >> i just don't see that there's any law. that some members have with colleges in their district, but i don't think there's anything legal about that. equal justice project. it's so important, 4,000 people who were lynched.
6:29 am
we have no comment raising of them. we don't know, there was a marker put up. >> and several people were killed. >> it took you, and i think what they're doing, and that is history that we cannot ignore. the whole, you know, the brother asked a question about southern culture, and i thought lynching was part of it. >> have a marker at every place where someone has been lynched. so their name is known.
6:30 am
>> and a museum in alabama. >> thank you so much for your question and for your answer. we want to keep it going because we have a lot of people. >> thank you. we have so many people in line and we want to get to as much people as we can. >> right here. >> and, yale drama, the question is, somebody mentioned that there was a disparity between black-and-white, 80-1, 18-1,. >> would anyone like to guess where that money went? it wasn't burned. it didn't evaporafor rate. it is still here.

8 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on