Skip to main content

tv   After Words  CSPAN  September 4, 2016 11:00am-12:01pm EDT

11:00 am
something that in the business schools we call organizational capacity. in other words, is the federal government, is the peace of the federal government that you are giving this job to come is a capable? isn't up to the job that you're asking, you, the president are asking you to do? >> you can watch this and other programs online at booktv.org. ..
11:01 am
your columnist but you're also maybe primarily to most people tv person, people know you from television and tv people don't write their own books. they have minions that do that. you're offended by this idea >> guest: i think it's an excellent assumption in pretty much every case but mine. by the way, as you heard on tv the last year, you haven't seen me . from supporters you don't see much of what i mean, they're usually right and i wish we were better understood. i told new york times reporters who mostly hate me but i've always said to them, they have bestsellers in nonfiction, i won seven sections for authors who written their own books and that's the most important things every new york times reporter agrees with me on because they are at least writers. they may be satanists but there at least writers. my second book my editor called me and said congratulations. you're on the bestseller list
11:02 am
and finally, your only person on the list you wrote her own book. >> host: how do you write your books, what's the process? >> guest: usually i take a year off, this is unusual. slander i think i may have done in back-to-back years but that was an emergency and this is an emergency. usually i take a year off and after i finished the book, on moving on from the one thing i say i'm never going to write another book. i said that after every book. i thought i was done. i started with trees and i said, that's everything i have to say. i've been waiting wanting to write trees ever since i was in college. i've been wanting to write slander from into a year after reading the new york times. and i thought okay, that's everything i wanted to say but then something comes along and i think all, i have to look this up.
11:03 am
i'm interested in this from darwinism, mccarthyism and the french revolution and i have the thesis for the book and i start reading, reading, reading to see if there's a point to the thesis. and i dropped some ideas for books. in fact, that's how i ended up writing audio's america. that was going to be one chapter. it wasn't that it wasn't a good idea, i just found so much more, this vast conspiracy to hide what's happening with immigration from the us people so for a while, i take time off and i read and formulate and then i start writing and i'm completely cut off from the world. people who know me, every time i'm writing a book and this is now my 12th, i will get an email fromsomeone i've befriended recently. sometime among them, i'm sorry. have i done something to offend you? are you mad at me? my friends who know me know
11:04 am
that she's writing a book, do not expect her to email you. i have a couple of talking points . one of you know, i cannot tell. >> host: deal run your story ideas behind them? do you read chapters to them? >> guest: that's really all it is. i'm always trying to think can i force ... i guess they're about to read. >> host: what makes a good chat partner when you are writing a book? >> guest: if i can maneuver the conversation around to something i'm writing about. unfortunately with absolutely all of them that's very difficult to do. i'll have to listen to 20 minutes on him calling the appliance repair man before i can work the conversation to whatever trunk said that day or whatever it is i want to talk about. a lot of it is just talking ideas out when i can get to the conversationand that's fun and that gets me going . do i ever get them to listen to me to read portions of it? that's way harder. a lot of kicking and
11:05 am
screaming which really annoys me. >> host: you like the process of writing a book? >> guest: i love it. people ask me, because i like doing td to but, and radio and i like giving speeches. i used two never be able to remember which you i like more. tv, writing, which of these? when i was writing, it was either demonic, i think it was demonic. i was happy every single day. i love the research. also i don't have to wake up to an alarm clock. i sleep until i wake up. i do whatever i like all day and luckily i'm realizing my books are fun because i get bored easily so i only read about stuff and write about stuff that's interesting. the french revolution is really interesting. it's the hidden drama of our entire lives. so it was totally fine and
11:06 am
it's not an assignment. nobody's telling me you must write about the french revolution. i read all this fun stuff and find more fun stuff and i love the research part of it. i love tracking down how the media is hiding stuff, not only the media but the government is hiding true and important information from us on immigration and obviously the trump book which is unusual in a few ways compared to my other book but most of that research was watching trump. >> host: you said you banged this out quickly with one mistake before i had the idea in january, i was pretty sure that it was going to be "demonic". the january before i probably trump what the number trump there's think of him now. it wasn't like he won my heart forever. but still, the primaries were going on and so even though i was talking about it with my agent, i forget what i was
11:07 am
talking about with the publishers but i had the idea and various people seemed to like the idea. i couldn't seriously force myself to start writing it until crews conceded so whenever that was. >> host: so april?>> guest: this is a fast turnaround. there are some errors. >> host: we will get to those. how long did it take?>> guest: then i turned it in, i don't know, a month ago? so april, whatever it was. may, june, july. we're in august now. that seems like a long time, a few months. i can do that on one hand. >> host: what's this book about? >> guest: i'm always the worst at describing my own books . >> host: "in trump we trust". >> guest: "in trump we trust: e pluribus awesome". really, i trust no one. but i do think the things i trust him on our, his basic
11:08 am
philosophy of putting america first. on the trade, on immigration, on wars. he has made so many mistakes. little mistakes,backtracks and he gets back on but when the entire media, and i mean the entire media, rolls up to crush him after that mexican rapists speech , it took me two weeks to believe he wasn't going to back down. i started email this story to lewandowski and everyone, i sent a point, you might want to mention x y or z but for probably six months before we can figure out how long it was, however many points i had, every one of them would be don't let him back down on immigration and i think it was after the muslim band i said okay, i don't think he's backing down. now i believe you. >> host: now he appears to be a little bit. >> guest: not really. i'm annoyed but it's a rhetorical thing. i never thought the
11:09 am
deportation was going to be inhumane. he's almost responding to a media caricature. i wish he had phrased it differently, not used the word softening. not had this trip and driving his supporters crazy and allowing the media to go crazy and i like this. we're getting a wall. we're going to be able to do the job. were going to have a cutback on muslim immigration and as for what's going to happen to law-abiding children of illegal immigrants, why doesn't he just say, and by the way, everything i just said is something we would not get under any other president. not jim, not rubio, not walker. oh mygosh, probably not romney. we are 1 million miles ahead of anything i ever imagined would happen in my lifetime . but why didn't he just say
11:10 am
about what's going to happen with the illegals? the point is no one has a right to bein this country illegally and we as america will decide whether it's good for america whether you stay or go . maybe we will want to keep you but it will be determined on the basis of what is in this country's best interest, not what is in the best interest of someone who is not an american. >> host: how do you think a statement like that would be received? how would the press put that? >> guest: a softening. >> host: i guess i want toget to the question, so you live in an affluent zip code . so presumably most of your neighbors are anti-trump while most of the people you've known for your life, in connecticut are anti-áuntran6á. what is it about trump that sets certain people on edge? >> guest: washington is worse than any other place . it's existential for washington. it's probably something in the water. i know two people for not anti-áuntran6á in washington
11:11 am
and it's like george river in doctor strangelove, drinking rainwater and antialcohol, there's something going on there. but first of all, in two of the main cities i'm in, new york city and la i say i have approximately 30 of my top-tier and second-tier friends immediately, all but one were 100 percent pro-áuntran6á andthat's both in new york and la . look, to paraphrase donald trump, i love the uneducated but i'm not talking about uneducated people. i'm talking about lawyers, doctors, lots of doctors. comedy writers, producers reedit smart, freakishly highly educated people instantly pro-áuntran6á. only one in each city was anti-áuntran6á.
11:12 am
in washington, it was exactly the reverse. and in other fancy locales, i will tell you, come christmas in palm beach and walking around christmas time when you were seeing the polls, i guess i know some of the pro- trump errors but that town was 100 percent, i would say more gender than rubio but they were all wondering around shellshocked. i don't understand. we were all for jeb. the town is all for trump. >> host: here you have the richest guy ever to run for president and rich people don't like him, why do you think that is? >> guest: i think it's less the rich, and my experience does happen to be true, admittedly anecdotal but i think the washington versus palm beach,beverly hills , manhattan actually tells us a lot. a lot of the rich people come in two categories, we will find out which ones are atrios and which ones just want to keep the labor and be locusts on america: the dry
11:13 am
and move on to the next country, we are will find out right now but some of the plutocrats are patriotic, lovely people. they want a republican to win. they think that's better for the country and they just been snowed by campaign consultants who say okay, we've got to get, jet is our only shot. we got to give $1 million for jeb. they're busy making millions of dollars so they think okay, i will write a check for jeb. may have shown the wizard of oz, pulled back the curtain and have said why am i wasting my money on these idiots like stuart stevens and mike murphy for? they don't know their heads from poland . >> host: why does the press he him so very much? >> guest:, ... >> host: here you have a candidate who says, there are many reasons to be concerned about prop but here is a candidate who says i'm here
11:14 am
to represent the middle class system, i'm here to speak for a rigged system and you think of the press as being a populist system, against the powerful at least that's what they tell the rest of us but almost to a person they come out against trump in a very assertive way. what is that about? >> guest: part of it is what we were just describing. who benefits? not only illegal immigration but in a lot of ways legal immigration, a lot of people do. they get cheap gardeners, cheap made and the gardeners and the maids don't live in their neighborhoods, they live out in the suburbs so it's those, other people's emergency rooms that are being bankrupted. it's other people's schools that can't have pageants anymore because they're spending all their money on english as a second language classes. the media is part of that elite which is just utterly self-centered, self-interested, forcing the middle-class to subsidize
11:15 am
their cheap labor. but the other part of it is, and that's the political part which is hollywood drives them the most crazy but the west was just on the verge of total pandemic. it started with ted kennedy, 1965 immigration act. obama put it into overdrive. and started to put into overdrive but woe, obama left clinton in the dust. >> host: bush didn't slow it down much before bush didn't slow it down so obama, he's flying than in from central america. i think the daily caller has written about it. i've read various articles about it, putting all the third world immigrants in the states they need to flip blue so the long term plan of the kennedy democrats was, you know, over time we bring in 100 immigrants a year, 96 percent from the third world, 80 percent vote from the democrats. in 30 years we will have an unbeatable majority.
11:16 am
they're looking at it next year. there on the cusp of winning and a lot of that is trump. he says he's going to shut it down. >> host: it sounds like you're making an argument that what it is that makes trump so loathsome is the people in power, his opposition to immigration and if you were to narrow down what makes them so appealing, it's stopping immigration. so this is about immigration. >> guest: i think so. i love his policies, i love hisposition on war in the middle east but immigration is agreat unifier . >> host:even , you just wrote a book on immigration . you think there's evidence this is what it's really about? people on television say the exit polls don't tell us that. immigration isn't number one on people priority list. >> guest: whenever they say it that i look at whatever people do say is their number one issue and it's always things like jobs, terrorism. cultural changes.
11:17 am
they're all synonyms for immigration. americans are nice people. i think they have the sense especially with the media telling them this that if they say it's immigration, it's like they're saying something mean about immigrants. they're nice people, we like immigrants. as trump always says, he loves hispanics. that's my favorite speech. of all the things he's done other than the mexican rapist speech . >> host: you like the toggle bolt to. >> guest: all my gosh, that was so making fun of multiculturalism. it was hilarious. i screamed when i saw that. i love hispanics. >> host: having a typo bowl salad at trump tower. it sounds like you appreciate the performance art element to this campaign. >> guest: i do. i don't think that's why people are voting for him but he is very funny. he is very politically
11:18 am
incorrect, there's a big appeal. >> host: you know trump and you've been following this closely. what percentage would you say of his statements are ironic, sarcastic, designed for shock value, to amuse him mark. >> guest: >> host: when he says mccain got captured and he got a metal, a lot of people didn't get captured, where were there metals? do you think that was serious? >> guest: i write about it in the book at one point. i think that was lied about. he was angry and he was lashing out and he deserves to be angry and lashing out i wrote about that as well as the attack on the disabled reporter. i wouldn't say either of them , either of them were ironic or sarcastic but i think they were both lied about and i think he was justified in both statements and to take the mccain case, if poor arizonans, they havebeen so overwhelmed with illegal immigration . with goats being raped, cows
11:19 am
being slaughtered, their fences knocked down. they've been overwhelmed with illegal immigration, begging the federal government to do something and the government will not do anything. they have that famous joke, as the media calls it, papers please law that requires immigrants since 1940 who i guess have been living in a nine nazi state since 1940, immigrants have been required to carry papers. it was attacked by all the bush people as unconstitutional and so outrageous so that if the wall was, in arizona state, if they are in the process of arresting someone, they suspected to be an illegal alien, they asked for his immigration papers and oh my gosh, do you remember how that was denounced high and low? it was held by the supreme court. you ever get the footnote on what happened with that, the lindsey graham big
11:20 am
constitutional scholar lindsey graham called it unconstitutional? of courseit was upheld as constitutional. after all of that , all the sneering, trump goes to do his first speech in arizona, they have to shut down the first venue. it was going to be at the hotel. there were 20,000 people, they have to rent a stadium in the day after it happens or the day it was happening, trump goes to the new yorker and called him crazy. the american people who showed up at trump tower. they went to the new yorker to call these lovely americans concerned about illegal immigration, to call them crazies and that's what trump was angry about. he called mccain and says he graduated second from his class in annapolis and when he was being interviewed by frank orwhatever . >> host: the poster, yes. >> guest: franklin raises with donald trump, it's not presidential to call senator john mccain a dummy.
11:21 am
he's a war hero. so trump starts to explain. i'm having this event and he calls these people crazies? it's the principal thing trump said. he said i know crazy, these people are not crazy. they are decent americans. and in the middle of trump explaining this, someone interrupts him to say but he's a war hero, he's a war hero. that's when trump said he's not a hero. he got captured, i like people who were captured. perhaps he was a war hero and then he goes on.so it was a flash of anger. again, well not again, it's in the book. when trump attacks the powerful on the half of decent, long suffering americans who are ridiculed and sneered at in the media all the time, he was
11:22 am
attacking on behalf of these nice americans who are called crazy by john mccain. >> host: mccain is a senior senator, powerful. >> guest: fairpoint but i think it's about time the democrats put an end to this human shield practice of sending out sad victims to represent their policy. this is a serious issue. they were standing out there to say we were a muslim family. i want to honor my son here. he was being sent out to claim to the american people that our constitution requires us to keep something about more and more muslim immigrants in the country. ithink americans have a right to dispute that and if you're going to send out someone we're not allowed to respond to , kind of chomps the bait down, this iswhat the left always does. this is what i wrote about in god was with the jersey girl. they have policy proposals and you attack them and , but there are hundreds who died.
11:23 am
why don't you have somebody else make the argument then? send out hillary clinton to make the argument. send out tim kane to make the argument. don't send out an angry muslim we are not allowed to respond to. cleaning up certainly requires us to keep admitting muslim immigrants? i think most americans do not know this, we've admitted more muslim immigrants after 9/11 than before 9/11. we admit more muslim immigrants or more immigrants from muslim countries than immigrants from the entire british isles area after san bernardino, boston, 911 itself, orlando. this is an important public policy that i think americans have a right to discuss and democrats are going to find some orphan to spin their argument that you can't respond. >> host: to what extent does the average american have any influence over american policy? >> guest: a lot this november. this is it.
11:24 am
>> host: is there polling on the level of knowledge the average person has about who's coming in and in what numbers before this election? >> guest: is a lot more prominent now, thank you donald trump. >> host: i don't remember this being a public debate. >> guest: no. and in fact in my book, eyesight trump's very first interview after the mexican rapist spill speech with bill o'reilly. first question, isis. what are you going to do about isis? the muslim brotherhood, we probably got into russia. not one question on immigration. one month later, o'reilly is introducing trump saying illegal immigration is not being dealt with in this country and that in part is what shot donald trump to the top of the pole. here he is in alabama with 20,000 people coming to his rally. >> host: you obviously know a lot about it. are you concerned that trump whose instincts and impulses you agree with but who has to be on the low end of the articulate scale with his
11:25 am
questions might wind up discrediting the ideas that you care so much about? >> guest: i was worried about that first area but no, i mean, you take the rough with the smooth. he has this boisterous, bragging personality that attracts a lot of people. people start listening because they want to be entertained and he's very entertaining . i mean, people are driving probably at first five or six hours. probably a lot of them weren't going because they thought he believes everything i've always wanted in a president.they are going for some of them, at least in part. a lot of them like the mexican rapist speech is much as i did but some were just going because they knew he was really entertaining. but then you hear him, you
11:26 am
are laughing, you are having a good time and he's funnier than listening to a standup comedian a lot of the time and then it hits you. wait, i agree with this guy. he's making some good points. >> host: that clearly happened on a pretty big scale. the question is, if he loses what happens? the winners write the history, the losers right the unread memoirs and as with prop seven in california, 20 years later people have a completely distorted view of what happened. if trump loses, what the message from everyone b, c, this is what happens when you run on immigration? never do thatagain. >> guest: i don'tthink so and i don't think it will matter because , and i'll get to the i don't think so point first . or second. if trump loses, the country is finished. what you do, what i do, fox news, talk radio. i guess you can still leave your campus up of the country is finished you on why you say that? >> guest: she's granting amnesty to 20 million, 40 million, maybe as many as you are 60 million illegal immigrants, she's going to
11:27 am
grant them amnesty. >> host: explain how that works. >> guest: she's been saying 11 million for more than a decade now. how can that be? we haven't gotten one more illegal alien? all the estimates say these are based on the sentences which ask you are you here legally and many people that was struggling across the desert with that. stolen ids to get here, illegal immigrants might not be filling out government surveys accurately. so first , there are analysts who are analyzing people about something important, their money. they said we can't trust any of these. all these come to the same 11 million because they're all using the census reports so we're starting with the same bad input. what their analysts looked at were well, a lot of things but two of the big things were remittances of money back to mexico and they went to look at illegal aliens
11:28 am
where it's known that there are illegal aliens in certain towns of new jersey and other places and they looked at school enrollments and housing permits. among other things but it was a massive intensive study and in the face of that, they determined i think it was 20 million and this is more than a decade ago. then there's these two, i think it's bartlett and seal, these two famous investigative reporters, they on what surprises in vanity fair. they spent a year investigating illegal immigration also a decade ago about a year after the bear stearns report. they were out of the border interviewing people, this that and the other thing. they estimated that 3 million illegal aliens were coming in for a year. so if you start with the 20 million and then you assume that only a third of that 3 million were coming in for the next 10 years, we are already at 30 million . it's very ...
11:29 am
>> host: so we are harboring a little less than 10 percent of the population.>> guest: oh yes. and it may seem range in the northeast, that does not seem strange at all in the northwest. >> host: the first reason that the country will not recover is because of immigration and the legalization of people here illegally before that's it, it's a democracy committing suicide. clinton wants to quadruple the number of muslim refugees and i think a lot of conservative media think that's great, if hillary is elected we will make more money. no, you can't win the game anymore but local los angeles politics. it's not that interesting anymore. when you all you do is lose, lose and lose, i do think the country is over and i'm sorry for those of you with children or those of you who need jobs or those of you who
11:30 am
came here because you wanted to live in america because it's all over. all democracies commit suicide and if hillary is elected it's this democracy committing suicide. >> host: so what does the country become at that point? >> guest: california. what will happen is the president of indonesia said this in an interview, i think it was in the financial times decade ago, it's a somewhat famous quote among the immigration restriction is like myself, i forget his name but it was a famous quote. he said why he had blocked immigration to i think it was, maybe it was singapore. in any event he said what happens in multicultural society is people don't split off and vote by political party, may vote by ethnic vote and that's what's happening in california. it is not nancy pelosi democrats versus democrats. it's hispanic democrats voting against the asian democrats. suddenly it becomes very racialized.
11:31 am
and it's sad but there's never been a magnificent country as america and we can't assimilate anyone, not in the numbers we are seeing and why are we taking men in such numbers? why are we trying to assimilate? because it is about cheap labor for the plutocrat and the development votes for the democrats. >> host: as you know, after the last presidential election there was postmortem ordered by the republican national committee and one of the, maybe the central conclusion was the republican party needs to become a competitive among these emergent groups and broaden its appeal and there's great bitterness on the part of the republican establishment. as you know, we stopped doing that and we got donald trump. >> guest: they are idiots and the faster they are thrown out of the party the better. this is the great thing trump did. he did addition by subtraction. get rid of these morons. i think republicans ... >> host: this law is in place for 50 years, the immigration act so the countries
11:32 am
demographically different from what it was years ago. if you are one of the two main political parties, why would you try to increase your appeal? >> guest: i don't think they're increasing their appeal, i think trump is increasing the appeal to has's hispanics and african-americans. the problem is they are idiots and their idea is, wouldn't be just like the democrats to offer them not as much? we will give you amnesty but you can't have citizenship. we will have affirmative action for people who should never be having from action. why do we have to make up for jim crow? it's not just because you're not an american. harvard is doing this with the children of foreign diplomats, dictators. warlords. african americans are losing out to those people, not just white americans. it's madness that we have
11:33 am
affirmative action. >> host: but isn't diversely our strength? >> guest: [laughter]. yes, that's what general hayden said after it was, the general said the real tragedy in all this would be if we gave up our diversity. >> host: the real tragedy might be if you got shot, actually. >> guest: this is how the marcus marched through our institution has been so successful. >> host: my original question was, you reject that premise itself that the republican party in order to maintain its status as one of the two main parties needs to appeal. >> guest: not quite, i think trump is doing it in a way idiot republicans and my ex republican party, not the
11:34 am
new, fresh, trump publican party. trump is doing it by saying i'm going to bring jobs back. what i hate is about my own republican party, and i've never seen this so clearly is that trump is, what they should not be acknowledging is this admin identity politics. why should they do this with la raza and saying i'm going to you as chinese people and is muslim people and green people know, there americans. they like america. they came here. bring the jobs back, that's a great unifier. they like less competition all this to labor coming in and that's why i like trump is comparable to. he was making fun of the whole identifying people as ethnic groups. >> host: that's interesting. what do you think when trump does that, when trump says the hispanics love me. the african-american voters love me. is he playing the same game question mark. >> guest: i think african-american voters keep loving him. >> host: the polls keep repeating, maybe you know
11:35 am
something i don't but one percent in a poll with a margin of error of three so it's possible to percent of people pretending to be african-american just so they can vote trump in the polls. that seems pretty well. >> host: >> guest: however, i won't be a knot and say i don't believe the whole but i don't believe this pole. either the black turnout will be down or i think trump will get more of the black vote than any republican since richard nixon which admittedly isn't all that much but i think he does have an appeal and it's on the issue of immigration. i mean, they keep attacking trump. if they're going to keep calling him racist because he says we don't want to keep bringing in illegalimmigrants to take jobs from our nativeborn, a lot of blacks are saying damn right speak . >> host: there being replaced by people who the elite favor over you. here's what's so interesting. you're describing republican
11:36 am
party that's been transformed not just factually but ideologically by this man double truck that he believes things we wanted to believe six months ago. >> guest: i didn't realize we didn't believe six months ago thatit's insane. >> host: is the question and i don't know the answer to it , perhaps you do. why hasn't trump formed trump is him? there are very few people around him building intellectual frameworks for his new political movement. perhaps they say, i don't know, famously goldwater who lost by massive margins. >> guest: i don't think trump is going to lose. >> host: not just goldwater style but also deeply about what he said he represented and they wrote books about it. where are those people? before that not only goes against, that was her next question and i do believe this is overstated trump doesn't win so it's pointless to talk about but no, i don't think the ideals will be discredited. the man expressly ... when
11:37 am
you have paul ryan coming out against the transpacific partnership the day before his primary after getting a standing ovation from the coke brothers saying don't worry, were going to push this through. i think politicians realize that what they're pushing isn't popular. when you have being protested at her own convention and god bless those sanders supporters. i've never seen hecklers at the democratic party why didn't think were morons. when they were interviewed afterwards they were really articulate and giving real reasons. they said she doesn't help the working class, i'm working class. two of them talked about the transpacific partnership and how it's sending jobs abroad. that's the real reason. it's not just, i hate the rich t-1 they are sweet and sincere people based on my experience with the rally. >> guest: and now we have hillary pretending she opposes the tpp. now, they're lying. i don't know how much but
11:38 am
these politicians are acknowledging what popular when they know what they need to lie to voters about . >> host: that's a good point. why isn't there, you would think that a massive change shakes the political party really to its foundation. that you would see this wave of magazine pieces and books, we have yours but where are the others explaining what this means? you feel that some people, maybe you, are reading into trump ideas that they want to see there when perhaps that's not what he means? >> guest: not on the latter point just because he has been a businessman his whole life and by the way, what's happening with this week with the softening, we've been through this time before. the internet blew up and the next day he issues another statement. >> host: reagan wouldn't have stopped in the middle of the debate and said you know what? maybe russia isn't a big deal. but on his core issue, he
11:39 am
knew what he thought in a pretty unassailable way.he could wake reagan up from the dead asleep and asking he knew what he thought. >> guest: that's true but they had different advantages and different disadvantages. trump has not been in the world of ideas, reagan was in the world of ideas for a long time so if you would wake him up in a dead sleep and he would know the details, you would wake trump up in a dead sleep and he knows whose side he's on. he's on the american working class. that's one thing his life is shot through, he's always been for the working class. he's always been a against these trade deals. he figured out the immigration bill for the campaign began. low-wage workers were hurting the middle class. where his heart is is absolutely solid and you can totally throw glass on him on the middle of the night and he will say no, american boys dying or another war in the
11:40 am
middle east right now. we should be renegotiating for years. i bet he was better on the trade deals and reagan was . >> host: ... >> guest: for those of you who don't know, no. i was a bigger iraq war supporter than donald trump himself was. look, personally i stand by it. i had a few friends, most of my friends agreed with me. we didn't have these individual terrorist attacks back then, it's really kicked up since we haven't been there. i do think it was important for a lot of reasons. i always thought the weapons of mass destruction was the last good reason. it was because saddam, he's sitting on all this oil. he's inspired and sheltered terrorist. there's terrorist from the first world trade center, where do they end up? in a rack. he's funding the families of suicide bombers. the families of suicide bombers, i think he was trying to get weapons of mass
11:41 am
destruction. we found them not soft bombs but he attempted to assassinate a former president of the united states and it was a very educated populace read led by a crazy leader when in the arab leader world, it's always one or the other. either you have a crazy leader with basically same people or you have a sane leader with insane people. with a rack, you want to go for the ones where people are basically pro-western and educated and literate who have a sane leader. you are able to establish a democracy. that was iraqi and they were waving the purple fingers and that was great but i put the blame on barack obama for pulling out every single last troupe. he had to turn our victory into defeat. but having said that, whether i'm right or the people who say this was always doomed to failure are right ... >> host: including donald trump.
11:42 am
>> guest: including some of my friends including chris matthews. at this point, couldn't you do it again? let's wander under the bridge. we can argue over whether it was always doomed to failure or whether it was obama's but from now until the end of time, look at what has happened since then mark and why would you do it again? and again, all these people i thought were my allies in the iraq war, not any of my friends. i've been asking my friends for a few months now and all of them, i mean i think one or two of my friends were against the iraq war from the beginning because they said they are ungrateful swine. so we would inevitably be a disaster, there's no point to this. perhaps they had a point or maybe i'm right, whatever. >> host: so your position is that's open for debate. >> guest: going forward, none of my friends would do it
11:43 am
again and we're all sitting looking at these crazy warmongers and thinking weight, everything they were accusing us of that we used to laugh about, our allies actually are those people. they just want the country to be constantly at war and part of it is the same thing with the campaign consultants. it's the only game they know. nobody cares about their opinion unless we are at war so they always want us to be at war be on with trump, what happened? >> guest: life will be grand. >> host: will it be? people who oppose trump don't simply oppose him on issues or on his temperament but they oppose him on the grounds that he is a threat to the country, that he's evil, he's a bad person and that his election will be a fascist takeover, and authoritarian takeover of the country. i think a lot of people feel that way. could those people ever accept him as president?>> guest: well, the point is whether or not they really believe this is going to be a fascist takeover or their hysterical.
11:44 am
>> host: do you think they believe that? >> guest: i don't think they believe that. they know they're losing their power. they're going to have to do what marco rubio tells the field workers, improve your education. go back to school. 80 political consultants should do that because you don't need them anymore. we don't need all these pollsters, the phony conservative media. go back to school. marco rubio has a plan to help you further your education. you're going to have to that to the way they are always telling these poor, out of work blue-collar workers. i got to the changing economy. and that to the changing economy, washington. it's crazy. >> host: you're notconcerned if trump were to get elected, you would see anactual fracture in the coming country. we're not acknowledging his authority .>> guest: they will be hysterical and i will enjoy it . >> host: you think trump is
11:45 am
capable of bringing some of those people over? >> guest: if they're going to go around saying he is adolf hitler and a fascist, at some point they may have to see that he is not a fascist and i think it's going to be great because he will renegotiate trade deals. i still want manufacturing to come back to this country. it's really awful what has been done in the name of this religion of free trade. we used to have 20 million manufacturing jobs not that long ago in the 80s. we are down to 11 million on a much larger population. we don't make anything in this country anymore. think about all the job the wall is going to create. we build the infrastructure. if trump does nothing but renegotiate trade deals, build a wall, that ice do its job, it puts a severe damper on more muslim immigration here, he will be the greatest president since george washington. if he does nothing else , nothing else, i would like to
11:46 am
repeal obama care. >> host: do you think he's interested in running the country? >>guest: yes . >> host: but not simply about winning. you think he wants to govern before i think he is a genuine patriot, genuinely loves the country and he looked around and saw so many things going wrong that he can fix. in that opening speech, he said something to the effect of: if we don't stop this now it's going to be too late. it's going to be unsalvageable and i don't think he said this but i will say this, he can fix it and the rest of them can't. just to get back to america for americans and then we can fight about everything else. i don't know if you noticed, i dedicated the book to democrats because i think this is the first time i've: taken that dedication back but this is the first time in his life he will vote republican and i went to a party in la a month ago, down in laguna beach and there were all these nice republicans and they came up and they knew i was bringing
11:47 am
mickey and they said to me, we look up at mickey tappan, he's going to vote democrat. i said yes, but he's with us on immigration. first we save america then we argue about obama care. >> host: have your politics change? i know you don't like to admit that but everything is changing in america. trump has changed a lot. how do you think your personal views, maybe if you readmanaged . >> guest: you probably correctly and cynically said no, you always knew . he was lying to us, i thought they really did care about the working-class and middle-class and not just the donors and the business roundtable. why has trump flushed them out. i think the republican party was better, in a way there are two bad things unintentionally ronald reagan did to the country. one was the first amnesty although, can we learn our lesson from that? number two was, when i was a
11:48 am
kid i and up in law school after reagan was president but a lot of those us, we were all asking for reagan area and so a lot of young people, young right-wingers suddenly came to washington after reagan and i guess during reagan and there was all this youngblood in washington and it seemed like it was going to be a great thing because it used to be that the permanent bureaucracy, the permanent ink tanks, everyone in the city was liberal democrats. then republicans would come in with their thousand people working in the executive sector but everyone else in the city working against them so it was great. you have always right-wingers like cato and the washington times. but i think that has turned out to be a curse. >> host: why? >> guest: because i think they have, it has become an
11:49 am
end in itself, the organization. the party, the territorial republican party. >> host: is that really fair question mark we have all these conservative think tanks in washington consuming billions of dollars over decades and the net result is the country is much more conservative than it was. oh wait. you maybe you have a point. so you think because they have a structural incentive to keep things exactly the same ... >> guest: and they need the donor money. >> host: it's a fair point. reagan brought thousands of young people to washington. if trump wins is it conceivable he would do that? >> guest: at least we know they will all go home. >> host: a lot of old people will leave, is that we were saying? this is your addition by subtraction? >> guest: yes. [laughter]
11:50 am
>> host: so when trump said the other day if i don't win it's okay because i'm rich and i have lots of other hobbies and interests and i'm going to go on a long vacation. did it occur to you that that might be offensive to people who are, who are sincerely concerned about a hillary presidency. who watched him mow down 16 other contenders for the job, get the job and then say i don't really need a job? >> guest: know, i think he wants to be president. he wants to save the country. we've been hearing this from the beginning. you're the thing the press has been saying and it shows you the power of propaganda and the power ofthe press. just a month ago , a friend of a friend says to me completely seriously, do you think he really wants to be president?yes. oh my gosh. at this point overtime hundreds of millions of dollars have been spent. he works harder than any human i've ever seen. maybe this would be fun for a few weeks but yes, he wants
11:51 am
to be president. he wants to fix the country. the one thing that does run through doldrums life is absolutepatriotism and love for this country . that's why, don't worry about sales, he has stephen miller. >> host: what about his chief policy officer, has this affected your friendships? >> guest: i think i've only lost one friend . he happens to be a friend that all my other friends hated so it was kind of early . >> host: it was? >> guest: it ended this problem we had. >> host: what happened to this friendship? >> guest: after a cruise he sent me a sniffy email asking me not to email him again. >> host: because he was a cruise and you work? >> guest: and he is hysterically anti-trump. i do not know what i do not know.
11:52 am
i think he's kind of a party man which is weird because he's not a consultant, poster but sometimes people can get their heels in. that's an unfortunate thing that's happened this time around. i don't know if you remember, i remember i was not a big fan of romney. he wasn't the best on immigration until trump came on and he was an elegant person and i think the best candidate we've run since reagan until trump. but as people lost romney in that primary in 2012, none of them endorsed romney. >> host: he was despised >> guest: literally. they would attack him on the way out. even herman cain . all of them which as they dropped out, they would endorse anybody but mitt romney and for pete's sake, it's romney.the most lovely, elderly person. if they'regoing to be mad at him, imagine how they feel about trump .
11:53 am
>> host: what he wasn't regarded that way by people who knew him well. >> guest: or trump . >> host: but romney it seemed to me was very much like cruise where all the other candidates didn't like him. i noticed. >> guest: well, most of the bitterness was directed toward trump. i think cruise, that's a different thing everywhere he's ever gone. kindergarten, he was resented everywhere he goes. we keep reading about it and now we see why. >> host: why hasn't trump given an immigration speech yet why not explain precisely what he thinks to the public and put the fears of his supporters at rest. maybe affirm the fears of his opponents. give a speech the perfect way and it always has been, candidate tells you what they really think. can't misinterpreted or read all the prompter before he has given immigration speeches. >> host: the immigration speech, here's what i would do if elected before he has
11:54 am
an immigration policy paper, he thought a lot about it. he had on schedule and now it's been unscheduled and they've been dripping this thing about himself which is driving the workers out of their mind. how many transgender students think there are in america? 1000? >> host: over a dozen, fewer than 100? >> guest: let's estimate and say 500. there are more transgender's in america than there are americans worried about the comfort and feeling of security of people who've entered our country illegally. why are we spending any time discussing this? >> host: good question. >> guest: why not buick making cars in china? buick. why not h1b workers question mark these are taking white-collar jobs, these are taking kids jobs. it's not just taking your nanny job anymore. how about a little time on that? >> host: one of the reasons
11:55 am
perhaps because trump continues the conversation and respond to every question posed to him. eventually he turns the conversation back to himself and your hillary clinton and you don't want to run a campaign based on what you believe or what you might do, you want to run a campaign that's a referendum on doldrums character so if you're donald trump, why would you continue to keep that conversation alive? >> guest: what you mean? >> host: why would you help hillary clinton by talking about yourself? >> guest: why isn't he talking about her correction? >> host: if i'm elected, this is what america will look like. that's not the point. the point is if elected, everyone else says this is what we hear. >> guest: not exactly right. the close that we buy in america are made of america, it's like three percent on i believe that. >> guest: three percent. that's the whole point. the close are made in china, it's such a stupid point. he wants to change it so that your ties will be made here.
11:56 am
>> host: you follow this as closely as anybody and clearly you have a lot of emotional skin in this game. when you watch trump on television and he goes off message, you call him? you call people on his campaign? >> guest: know, i to . >> host: you think he listens? >> guest: i'm not saying necessarily to me but i think he totally listens to criticism. we've seen it over and over again where he will make a mistake and then switch course and sometimes a full-fledged verification like after the h1 b thing he said at one today. he absolutely listens to people and he's a quick study. he's obviously very smart. he's going in the direction we want to go in. one of thethings i make fun of the media for is , because i think it's just a time filler, they kept attacking him for no policy specifics and one thing i learned from my longest editor was, he said only use me was i'm a
11:57 am
lawyer so i like to make a statement and have 20 examples. he said and, just move on. i'm going to cut together these 17 examples. usually done but i got to this chapter and i said you're getting stiff examples, i don't care if you want them or not. it was always policy specifics which are interspersed with, and another major policy speech given by donald trump and then he had a policy paper saying xyz but no one in the media can get a hold of an internet modem which would allow them to read his policy. it gets to the point that it's like they are saying jfk , i want to go to the moon. media, what's your policy on going to the moon to mark the have any policy specifics? the direction is what we want. saying he's going to go in that direction. it's the same thing with this, i understood the first time he said we have to ban
11:58 am
or ban, temporarily suspend muslim immigration until we can figure out what's going on. i understood that immediately and i didn't take it the additional 17 steps that many in the media. does that mean we have to ban king abdullah of jordan? no, there will be a rule and we will make exceptions. i understood that. you don't have to claim these things detail and then when he comes out and says what we will do is ban them from muslim terrorism producing countries. that's what i figured he meant. i didn't need that level of detail. >> host: has from read this book and if so do you think he agrees with it? >> guest: there were a few things that i thought hemight not like but i think he will understand . >> host: what do you think you will not like? >> guest: i do have to point out thatthese course and tasteless . but that's part of him and i think he will understand it,
11:59 am
he is smart and he does understand. some of it is written for trump fans to give them back up but also for the never traversed because most of what i hear from them including an attack on my erstwhile hero charles murray , did you get to that yet? because i've really been appalled at a lot of the intellectuals on our side. they are the ones who are the superficial snobs? americans are voting on issues and their here, okay fine. i don't like the trophy wives and the tacky gold delivery either. then we get beyond that? he's going to build a wall. >> host: anne coulter ladies and gentlemen, the book is "in trump we trust: e pluribus awesome". >> guest: thank you. >> c-span.
12:00 pm
created by america's television companies and brought to you as a service by your cable or television provider. live on book tv from hillsdale college in michigan it's on the program and your chance to talk with best-selling ... my connection is of the heart and the mind.

39 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on