Skip to main content

tv   Key Capitol Hill Hearings  CSPAN  September 27, 2016 8:00am-10:01am EDT

8:00 am
>> why doesn't she think russia could get this e-mail/of the secretary of state. trust me they can't. [inaudible] >> now, they didn't. you are lying. you did not do your research. go do your research. i'm going to use our shiny. that is bs. you go back and do your research. i'm done talking to you because your research is poor. you've done for our research. go back and look at it. in fact, colin powell said don't blame me for this. i didn't do that. go back and do your research. go back and do your research.
8:01 am
>> when you're a military man, what does that mean in terms of marching orders? >> immensely failed to do something that allowed isis to make somewhere between a million and a half in $2 million a day. a day. it doesn't take that much to run a terrorist organization. to give them upwards of $2 million a day by allowing didn't to come in at a much control of the oilfields in iraq and frankly other places and syria as well. i mean, come on. i was a foolish decision to allow them to do that. ..
8:02 am
basically products they're going to sell on the market to bring more money in, into their coffers. we don't do it because what? why do we do it? because we are incompetent and our military people are sitting there saying we know it's not do what the target is your as our military has their hands tied behind their backs, they had their feet tied and we did with an enemy, dealing with an enemy that burns people alive, just the other day, just the other day a couple dozen i believe, about 24 if i got a ride, they are hanging them from meat hooks. this is the enemy we're facing. we are being told drop leaflets first on them to let them know
8:03 am
we are coming. unbelievable. where are you from? [inaudible] >> tonight, he crushed it tonight. there was no doubt hands down trump won that debate. in terms of what, you know, the types of questions that were asked and the answers that were given. you have one set of answers out of hillary clinton that are no change, no change to the direction of her country and it's not going in the right direction. unite another candidate in donald trump who offered extraordinary change. one of the big things, economic prosperity. the first half of the debate in donald trump to bring up that we must bring economic prosperity back to this country. we have to bring jobs back to this country. he gave very specific issues
8:04 am
about nafta, which candidate is a part of. they tpp which get it is a part of. we are getting ripped off on these trade deals does people who negotiate them are political people who know nothing, nothing about the economic condition of the world. what they do is they just give away things, why? we're trying to be buddy-buddy? we can do that. the world is different. it's changed dramatically in the last 40 or 50 years. we have this trade imbalance which is probably our greatest national security weakness right now is our economy. >> you think it's a great thing to abolish -- >> who said to abolish nafta? renegotiate. renegotiate a lot of these deals. think about what he said tonight. we give them something, they charged us a 16% tax. we get nothing.
8:05 am
why would we do something that dumb? why would allow that to happen? when companies are leading this country and going into mexico, why is that happen? is it because of regulation in this country was these are things donald trump brought up tonight. just the extraordinary regulations that we have a just, i mean, just sit like a ton of bricks, particularly on our small businesses and those that are trying to innovate or those were trying to create jobs. we have to renegotiate of these things. and actually on the trans-pacific partnership deal, it's not just about china. there's like 12 countries that are involved in the. it's a big multilateral deal. so small countries in that partnership, they benefit like to be countries. that's ridiculous. that's ridiculous. that deal if it were done in a smart way should be done
8:06 am
bilateral, should be done with individual countries so those countries can benefit if they're smart when it comes to negotiating table. right now we have is multilateral tpp that doesn't benefit the united states at all. >> members of the u.n. security council, the u.s. conference of great britain yesterday accused -- are you encouraging donald trump to view russia as a constructive partner in the strategy or is there action disqualify them? >> first of all, our administration, could administration come and take this back eight years when secretary clinton went over to russia to do a russian reset. it's a completely. we actually sort of the cold war to .co going on right now. that's the one. that's very real. if you listen to what the russia bastard united nations said this past week, just listen. go back and do your research is who kind of things he said about our relationship.
8:07 am
it's bad and getting worse. that's not a good place to be. what did ministrations done the last eight years is lost options. were lost options when it comes to deal with the whole problem in the middle east. the nuclear deal with one of them. allows the nuclear deal didn't even talk about, didn't even bring and stability in syria or iraq or stability in yemen or stability in libya. didn't even bring any of these things. just talk about a lousy, allowing iran to have nuclear weapons, the leading state sponsor of terrorism. the third part, this gets to your question, we have a common problem. that common problem is the rapid rise of radical islamists. that's a problem. everybody knows it. it's no longer just in iraq and syria. it seemed like 25 countries. i think if i have my data right we're looking at about 11,000 people just this past year to a
8:08 am
would like 50 conscious of either inspired or corrected attacks by radical islam. we have a problem. that means where the potential common enemy. so where we have a common enemy, should we consider working with other partners come in donald trump tonight mention nato, he mentioned the neighborhood, the middle eastern neighborhood. we've had a great conversation in the last couple days with some of the leaders of the middle east. what do they want? they want u.s. leadership. right now there is an extraordinary deficit of leadership right at home and globally. it's just a fact of life. secretary clinton can talk all she wants about all the political talking points. you go back and if you would future research, though back and listen to what she said, anytime should run for elections in many of the debates and primary stuff she went through, and she like reversed her position or she said the opposite. this is a person who will say or
8:09 am
do anything to become president. do you know said that? president obama in 2008. about hillary clinton running again. [inaudible conversations] >> to me the most i'm using moment of the whole life was when donald trump went to great pains to talk about how phenomenal his temperament was all while demonstrating he had a relaxed temperament for the job. i think there were a few humorous moments that secretary clinton had to laugh, the ultimate but no knockout punch but a very strong performance
8:10 am
for secretary clinton, everything a very discrediting performance by donald trump. thank you. >> good, how are you? >> got a few people who -- [inaudible] >> there were a number of moments like that. [inaudible conversations] more when trump was demonstrating -- [inaudible] in his demeanor, in his appearance. when he was taught about the broader issue of race relations -- and then by contrast you could see secretary clinton answer the same question. is watching that sharp contrast, one looking very presidential,
8:11 am
one looking very unhinged at times. that i think was probably the strongest factor tonight in the debate is just how the candidates came across the american people. i think the secretary did really well and she had a couple great lines in there but even better than the great lines that she had i thought was the times where her sense of humor came across when she couldn't help but laugh when there was a long meandering answer from donald trump about made our run. can't be sure because of so far from the question and sector can couldn't help but laugh. i think the audience couldn't help but laugh with her. she did a very good job. [inaudible] >> no. he certainly had to do with a very, if this were a courtroom, a very, the two candidates were not shy about jumping in with each other.
8:12 am
but i don't feel like you got in the way. i think you got the questions out there. i think it was insistent on getting an edge. i think he wa was willing at tis to call dog trot out when donald trump how to fabricate things, which i think was something we all appreciated for the second enough to be alone fact checker in the room. so think he did a very good job. >> completely off the topic question. [inaudible] i was wondering when you're talking to colleagues or your friends if you point to as -- calm down, everything will be okay. >> i had a chance to talk to david a few times tonight. i don't know whether that's his role but he certainly understands the political process so well. he understands the campaigns. he understands the polling members. we were talking about what the obama race looked like compared
8:13 am
to this one. what in these polling numbers should we really be looking at. i think he's very positive about what the secretary is. i think has enormous credibility, very knowledgeable person. so he's a great resource for us. >> are you happy with, i'm susanna. are you happy with hillary clinton underperformance tonight's biggest i think she did a terrific job. i think she was poised. i think she came across as someone reduce them the job as commander-in-chief on day one. i think she let out a vision for the country so i was very pleased. >> what about donald trump performance. i was surprised i could wasn't better prepared and i think on certain questions that he knew were coming up, he did a very poor job on the whole broader issue, on his ability to release his taxes, on his plans for defeating isis.
8:14 am
he offered the report answers come excuses sometimes, very meandering answers that were hard to follow. i guess i should not have been surprised but i was surprised he wasn't better prepared. i think the secretary made a good point when she said she is prepared not only for the state but for the officer i think it's clear he is not prepared for either. [inaudible] >> i think this is the biggest audience that he the candidate ever had. it was a chance to reach people who don't eat, live, breathe politics who may be tuning in for the first time. those folks that may be stored with third party candidates. i think have a furry impactful moment. [inaudible] >> i certainly hope so. this race has been so volatile it's hard to tell, but we will
8:15 am
just have to wait and see. >> thank you very much. >> thank you. >> who do you think won the debate? >> i think donald trump won the debate. -- by raising taxes. when you raise taxes on businesses, do you know what they do? they leave. why do you think detroit is the way it is? why do you think chicago is in the situation that it's in? why did the african-american unemployment is so high? because businesses are being taxed and regulated out of existence. and basic safety is not being provided in neighborhood. i not only brought crime to new
8:16 am
york, i created 500,000 new jobs. i got 6000 people off the welfare rolls, 500,000 of whom were working by the time i left. they were mostly minorities come and i made their committee state and there was nowhere in the history of new york city that saved more lives than 90. and i thought lester holt missed description of stop and frisk was a disservice to the people of the united states and a disservice to the people of african-american community who come as we speak tonight, at least one of them is being shot because one gets shot every two hours in chicago. if you want to stop it you've got to take the guns out of hands of the bad guys. and if you don't do it you don't stop it. she won't do it. he will. that's why he will be president. [inaudible] >> no. [inaudible] spin he did not say that. that is complete in a statement of what he said. he said in a city like chicago would be very helpful. >> he walked it back to that
8:17 am
spirit he has not walked it back to that. he made it about chicago intimated about high crimes cities in action expressed a reservation the first time he said it about this being applied in every city. the fact is it is applied in every city. this man standing right next to me as a police, please been right now. we are speaking, conducting constitutional stops and frisks all over the united states. lester holt told the american people is if also. it is not unconstitutional. what hillary clinton told the american people is a falsehood. but again she failed the bar exam. maybe she doesn't know. maybe she missed a course on constitutional law, but it isn't a law in this country that doesn't know that stop and frisk is constitutional and it is an accepted police technique used by every police department in the united states. >> what does the campaign go from here? >> in fact, in fact, she displayed tonight for someone
8:18 am
who thinks a little beyond the sting of the left wing journalists ignorance of the economy, our foreign policy were just done a terrible job come and abroad. [inaudible] >> today hillary clinton is in raleigh, north carolina, for a campaign rally. watch live appointing eastern here on c-span2. >> the next president making appointments to the supporting court of the united states will be president donald trump speak with hillary clinton in the white house the rest of the world will never forget why they both looked up united states of america. >> c-span's campaign was 16 continued on the road to the white house with the vice president a debate between republican governor mike pence at democratic senator tim kaine. tuesday october 4 live from
8:19 am
longwood university in farmville, virginia, beginning at 730 eastern with a priest of the debate. than 8:30 p.m. the predebate briefing for the audience. at 9 p.m. live coverage of the debate followed by the reaction to the 2016 vice president shall debate. watch live on c-span come watch like that into on-demand at c-span.org and listen live on the free c-span radio app. >> now hillary clinton and donald trump face off in the first of three presidential debates. topics range of economic policy to foreign policy and national security. this is an hour and 40 minutes. >> moderator: good evening from hofstra university in hempstead, new york, i'm lester holt, anchor of "nbc nightly news." i want to welcome you to the
8:20 am
first presidential debate. the participants tonight or donald trump and hillary clinton. this debate is sponsored by the commission on presidential debates, and nonpartisan nonprofit organization.de the commission drafted tonight's format and the rules have been agreed to by the campaigns. the 90 minute debate is divided into six segments, each 15 minutes longer we will explore three topic areas tonight, achieving prosperity, america's direction, and securing america. at the start of each segment of the same leadoff question to to both candidates i don' don't eah have up to two minutes to respond. from that point until the end oe the segment will have an open discussion. the questions are mine and have not been shared with the commission or the campaigns. the audience in the room has agreed to remain silent so thata we can focus on what theit candidates are saying. i will invite you to applaud, however, at this moment as we welcome the candidates on the
8:21 am
democratic nominees for president of the united states hillary clinton, republican nominee for president of the united states donald j. trump. [cheers and applause] >> how are you, donald? >> moderator: good luck to you. welcome i don't expect us to cover all the issues of this can be tonight, but i remind everyone that are two more presidential debates scheduled. we are going to focus on many of the issues that voters tell us a most important and we will press for specifics. i am honored to have this role but the seating belongs to the candidates. and just as important to the american people. candidates, we look fort hood hearing your policies and positions as well as revisions and your values. o let's begin.
8:22 am
we are calling this opening segment achieving prosperity c common central to that is jobs. there are to economic realities in america today. there's been a record sixthh straight years of job growth and new census numbers show incomesd have increased at a record rate after years of stagnation. however, income inequality remain significant and nearly half of americans are living paycheck to paycheck.yc beginning with you, secretary clinton, why are you a better choice than your opponent to great the kinds of jobs that will put more money into thee pockets of american workers? clinton: thank you, lester and thanks to hofstra or hosting us. the central question in this election is really what kind of country we want to be a kind of future we will build together. today is my granddaughters second birthday so i think about this a lot. first, we have to build an economy that works for everyone not just those at the top. that means we need new jobs,
8:23 am
good jobs with rising incomes. i want us to invest in you. i want is to invest in your future. that means jobs and infrastructure, and advanced manufacturing, innovation and technology, clean renewable energy, and small business. because most of the new jobs will come from small business. we also have to make the economy more fair. that starts with raising the national minimum wage, and also guaranteed finally, equal pay for women's work. i also want to see more companies to profit sharing. if you help create the profitsts he should be able to share in them, not just the executives at the top. at that one is to do more togglg support people who are struggling to balance family and work. i served him so many of you about the difficult choices yous face and the stresses of your under. so let's have paid family leave, earn sick days. let's be sure we have affordabld
8:24 am
childcare and debt-free collegee to how we're going to do it? we are going to dubai have the wealthy pay their fair share anh closed the corporate loopholes. finally, we tonight are on the stage together can donald trump and i. donald, it's good to be with you. we are going to have a debateark where are we talking about the important issues facing our country. you have to judge us, have to judge us come who can shoulder the immense, awesome responsibility of thean put int presidency. who can put into action to plans that will make your life better? i hope that i will be able to earn your vote on november 8. country thank you. mr. kohn, same question, about putting more money into the pockets of american workers. you have up to two minutes tryut to thank you, lester our jobs are fleeing the country andth they're going to mexico, going to many other countries. you look at what china is doing to our country in terms of making our product, their keith
8:25 am
alley wing the currency and there's nobody in our government to fight them and with a very g good fight and win the winning fight. because they are using ourchina, country as a piggy bank to rebuild china and many other countries are doing the same thing. s so we're losing our good jobs, so many of them. when you look at what's happening i in mexico, a friend mine who builds plants that it's a the eighth wonder of the world. they're building some the biggest plants anywhere in the world, the most sophisticated, some the best plants.. with a united states, as he said, not so much. so ford is leaving. you see that. thousands of jobs leavingle michigan, leaving ohio. they are all leaving and we can't allow to happen anymore. as far as childcare is concerned and so many other things, i think hillary and i agree on haat. we probably disagree a little bit as the numbers and amounts and what we're going to do but perhaps we'll be talking about that later. but we have to stop our jobs
8:26 am
from being stolen from us. we have to stop our companies from leaving the united states, and with it firing all other people. all you have to do is take a look at carrier air conditioned in indianapolis. they they left 1400 people.ed they're going to mexico. so many hundreds and hundreds of companies are doing this. we cannot let it happen. under my plan i will be reducing taxes tremendously from 35% to 15% for companies, small and big businesses. that's going to be a job greater like we haven't seen since ronald reagan. it's going to be a beautiful thing to watch. companies will come, they would build, they will expand. new companies will start and i look very, very much forward to doing it. we have to renegotiate our trade deals and have to stop these countries from stealing our companies and our jobs transferred secretary clinton, which elect respond? clinton: i think trade is an
8:27 am
important issue. of course, we are 5% of the world's published be predicted with the other 95%. and we need to have smart, fair trade deals. we also don't need to have a tax system that rewards work and not just financial transaction. and the kind of plan that donald has put forth would be trickle-down economics all over again. in fact, it would be the most extreme version, the biggest tax cuts for the top and we've ever had. i call it trumped up trickle-down because that's exactly what it would be. that is not how to grow the economy. we just have a different view about what's best for going tois economy. t how we make investments that will actually produce jobs and rising incomes. i think we come at it fromso somewhat different perspectives. i understand that. donal donald was very fortunate in his life, and that's all to his benefit. s he started his business with
8:28 am
$14 million borrowed from his father and he really believes that the more you help wealthy people, the better off we will be and everything will work out from there. i don't buy f that. i have a different experience.ne my father was a small businessman. he worked really hard. he printed debris fabrics on long tables were told of thend fabric a any window with a silk screen and kept going. so what i believe is the more we can do for the middle class, the more we can invest in you, your education, your skills, your future, the better we will be often the better we will go. that's the kind of economy i want us to see again. m >> moderator: let me follow up with mr. coburn you talk about grading 25 billion jobs and promised to bring back millions of jobs for americans.s. how are you going to bring backt the industries that have leftt this country for cheaper labor overseas? how specific are you going to tell american manufactures that she had to come back? trump: for one thing before
8:29 am
start on that, my father gave me a very small and in 1975 and to build it into a company that's what many, many billions of dollars with some the greatest assets in the world and i say that will because that's the kind of thinking that a country need for our country is in deep trouble. d we don't know what we're doing when it comes to devaluationser and all of these countries all of the world especially china. they are the best, the best ever at it. what they're doing to us is a very, very sad thing. we have to do that. we have to reading osha our trade deals. lester, they're taking our jobs, giving incentives, doing things that frankly we don't do. let me give the example of mexico.mp they have a fat tax. when we sell into mexico, there's a tax. when they sell, automatic 60% of proximate. when they sell into us, there's no tax. it's a defective agreement. it's been fixed for a long time, many years, but the politicians haven't anything about it. in all fairness to secretary yes
8:30 am
clinton, yes, is that okay? t good. i want you to be very happy.y. it's very important to me.im but in all fairness to secretarn clinton, when she started talking about this committee was really very recently, she's bee doing this for 30 years. and why hasn't she made the agreements better? and after grid is defective. is because of tax and many other researchers because of the -- kind of let me interrupt for aoc moment in fact they should been doing this for years but not right now because of the fact that we've created a movement. they should've been doing thisha for years. what's happened our jobs out of country and our economy generally is look, we all $20 trillion. we cannot do it any longer. .. longer, lester. lester holt: back to the question, though. how do you specifically bring jobs, american manufacturers, how do you make them bring the jobs back? donald trump: the first thing let the jobs 't leave. the companies are leaving. i could name -- there are thousands of them. leaving. and they're leaving in bigger
8:31 am
numbers than ever. and what you do is you say, you want to go to mexico or some other country, good luck. we wish you a lot of luck. going you think you're to make your air conditioners or your cars or your cookies or you make and bring them into our country without a tax, you're wrong and once you tax you're going to have to them coming in -- and our politicians never do this, special they have interests and the special interests want those companies to leave because in many cases companies.the so what i'm saying is we can so what i'm saying is we can stop them from leaving. we have to stop them fromle leaving not a good day, bigell,t factor. >> well, let's stop for a second and remember where we were eight years ago. we had the worst financial crisis come in the great recession, the worst in the 1930s. that was a large part because of tax policy/type is in the wild become a field to invest in the
8:32 am
middle class, took their eyes off the wall street and created a perfect storm. in fact, donald was one of the people who wrote it or the housing crisis. he said back in 2006, gee i hope it does collapse because then i could go one of my son and make some money. it did collapse. >> bets on business. >> 9 million people lost their jobs. 5 million people lost their homes in $13 trillion in family wealth was wiped out. we have come back from that address and it has not beenipice easy. so we are now on the precipice of having a potentially much better economy. the last thing we need to do isu go back to the policies that failed us in the first place.e a independent acts have looked up what i proposed then looked up at donald has proposed andhi basically they have said this year that if his tax plan, which would blow up the debt by over
8:33 am
$5 trillion would in some instances disadvantage middle-clmiddle-cl families compared to the wealth they were to go into effect, we would lose 3.5 million jobs and maybe have another recession. good luck that my plan and said okay, if we can do this and i intend to get it done, we will have 10 million more new jobs because we will be making investments where we can grow the economy. take clean energy. some countries going to be the clean energy superpower of the 21st century. donald thinks climate change is a hoax perpetrated by the chinese. i think it's real. >> i do not say that. >> we gripped this and deal with it at that home and abroad. here's what we can do. we can play half a billion morey solar panels.ve we can have enough clean energy to power every home. we can build a new modern electric grid.
8:34 am
that's a lot of dogs, a lot of economic and dignity. i've tried to be very specific about what we can and should do when i am determined we are going to get the economy really moving again building on the progress we've made over the last eight years but never going back to a goddess in in troublee in the first place. >> she talks about solar panels. we invested in the country. they lost plenty of money on that one. i'm a great believer in all i forms of energy. but we are putting a lot of people out of work. energy policies are a disaster. our country is losing so much in terms of energy in paying off our debt. you can do which are looking to do a 20 trillion in debt. the obama administration from the time they've come in is over hundred 30 years worth of data a full text do you download it and course of almost eight years, 7.5 years to the my fact. i will tell you this.
8:35 am
we have to do a much better job at keeping our jobs and we have to do a much better job at giving come nathanson said to n build new companies and expand. all you have to do is look at michigan and ohio and all of these places were so many ofoftr their jobs due been doing this for 30 years. for 30 years you've been doing it and you're starting to think of solutions. you can't bring back jobs. >> i have it about this quite a bit. i think a lot about what worked and how we can make it work again.
8:36 am
>> we did the single worst trade deal. the mike in, not for everybody. manufacturing johnson after the 1990s if we are going to look at the facts. when i was in the senate i had a number of trade deals that came before me and i held them onto the same test. will they create jobs in america? will they raise incomes in america and are they good for national security? semi-voted for it. the biggest, a national one that voted against him because i hold the same standards as i look at all these trade deals.. but let's not assume that trade is the only challenge we have in the economy.g i think it is a part of that and i've said what i'm going to do. i'm going to have a special prosecutor.os we are going to invade trade s deals they have and hold people accountable appeared on a secretary of state, we increased american exports globally 30%. we increased them to china 50%.
8:37 am
so i know how to really work tot get new jobs and to get exports that help to create more ne jobs. t >> when you haven't done a good 30 years or 26 years. >> i've been a senator andnd secretary of state. >> nafta is one of the worst things that ever happened. you go to new england, ohio, pennsylvania, anywhere you want, secretary clinton and you'll se devastation where manufacturing is done 30, 40, 50%. nafta is the worst trade deal ever signed in this country. now you want to include transpacific partnership. you were in favor of it and he said i can't win that debate. you know if you did when youu would approve that and that would be almost as bad. nothing will ever top nafta. >> that is not accurate. w i was against it in the terms
8:38 am
were laid out. >> you called it the goldeal standard he said it was the finest deal you've ever seen a man on the side or it can get you >> i know you live in your own reality, but that is not the facts. it would be a good deal, but if i was negotiated. i concluded it was. >> is the president of domicile? secretary, is the president of domicile? because he is pushing it. >> very different fears about what is good for our country, our economy and leadership in the world. i think it's important to look at what we need to do to get the economy going again.ax new jobs with rising incomes, investment not in more tax cuts that were not $5 trillion to th,
8:39 am
plan. >> at the bookstore at an airport near you.ave strong we need to have strong growth, fair growth, sustained growth. we also have to look at how we help families balance their responsibilities at home and the responsibilities of business. we have a very robust set of plans and people have looked at both of our plans, have concluded that mine would create 10 million jobs in yours would lose us 3.5 million jobs. >> you are going to improve one of the biggest tax cuts in history. you will improve everyone of the the biggest tax increases in history. your the regulations are a disaster in new orleans race regulations all over the place. by the way, my tax cut is the biggest since ronald reagan. i'm very proud of it.
8:40 am
it will create tremendous numbers of new jobs payy regulations, you are going to regulate businesses added to send. when i go around, i've been all over it. when i go around despite the tax cut, the things that business and people like the most is the fact that i'm cutting regulation. you have regulations on top of regulations and new companies cannot form an old companies a lot of business that you want to increase the regulations and make them the worse. i will cut regulations but i'm going to cut taxes big-league and you are going to raise taxeo big-league. >> we are going to move into the next segment. >> that can't be the stand. i kind of assumed they would be a lot of these charges and claims. >> facts. >> we've taken the homepage of my website, hillary clinton.com and turned it into a fact checker.
8:41 am
if you want to see a real-time but the facts are, please go and take a look. >> take a look at mine also. >> your plans but at $5 trillioo to the debt. but i have proposed would cut regulation and streamline them for all businesses. what i have proposed would be paid for by raising taxes on the wealthy because they have made all the games in the economy ant making it time the wealthy corporations pay their fair su share. >> you just open the nextfinish segment. >> you go to our website -- take a look at the website. she would raise tax is what, $1.3 trillion. look at her website. it's no different than this is telling us how to fight isis. go to her website issue tells you how to fight isis on a website. i don't think general douglas
8:42 am
macarthur would like that. >> at least i have a plan to fight isis. >> utah the enemy everything you want to do. no wonder you've been fighting isis your entire adult life. >> go to the police, the fact checkers. >> you are attacking a lot. we are still on the issue of achieving prosperity. the fundamental difference between the two of you concerned of you concerns the wealthy pay secretary clinton you're calling for a tax increase. i would like you to further defend that. mr. trump you're calling for tax cuts for the wealthy. i would like you to defend anonymous two-minute answer goes to you.cause >> uncommon for major jobs because the wealthy are going to create tremendous jobs. they will do a tremendous job. getting rid of the interest provision and it's really not a great day for the help they knor that a class that is a great thing for companies to expand.
8:43 am
when they see both of billions and millions of dollars in a cub and into neighboringac $2.5 trillion back from overseas, politicians like secretary clinton want to allowm them to bring it back because the taxes are so onerous than the bureaucratic red tape. so what they are doing is they are leaving our country and believe it or not because taxes are too high in some of them have lots of money outside of our country and instead of bringing it back and putting the money to work because they can't work out a deal, everybody agrees that should be broughtsta back. instead of that, they are leaving our country because they can't ring bears because of a bureaucratic red tape. we have a president that can't fit them around the table and get them to approve something. republicans and democrats agree that this should be done.
8:44 am
i happen to think it's double that. $5 trillion that we can bring into our country and with a little leadership you get it in here very quickly and it could be put to use through the inner cities and lots of other things and it would be beautiful. we have no leadership had ominously, that starts the secretary clinton. >> two minutes of same question to defend tax increases to the wealthiest americans. >> at the end of this evening i'll be blamed for everything that's ever happened. not? >> why not. >> yeah, why not. just join the debate by saying more crazy things. craz >> there's nothing crazy about not letting our companies bring their money back into theircoun. country. >> this is secretary clinton's two minutes.'s >> let's start the clock again,l lester.. we've looked at your tax proposals. i don't see changes in the rupert tax rate are the kinds of
8:45 am
proposals you are referring to that would cause repatriation bringing back money that is stranded overseas. i happen to support that in a way that will actually work to k benefit. but when i look at what you have proposed, you have what ismp called now the trump loophole because there was no advantage you in the business to do.ap you propose that approach -- $4 million tax benefit for your family. >> how much for my family? the mac as i said, trump up, trickle down. trickle-down did not work. it got us into the mess we were in the 2008 and 2009. slashing taxes on the wealthy have the work done a lot of really smart, wealthy people know that the mayor saying hey, we need to do more to make the contributions we should be
8:46 am
making to rebuild the middleks n class. i'll tank top that works in america. building the middle class i'm investing in the middle class, making college debt rate of more young people can get their education. healthy people refinance their debt from college at a lower rate. those are the kinds of things that will boost the economy. broad-based, inclusive growth is so be made in america. not warrant the images for people at the very top. >> mr. trump. >> typical politician. all talk, no action. sounds good, doesn't err, never been a happen. our country is suffering because people like secretary clinton has made such bad decisions in terms of our jobs come our jobs come in terms of what's going on. look, we have the were survival of an economy since the great bl depression. believe me, we are in a bubble right now. the only thing that looked good
8:47 am
as the stock market. if you raise interest rates ang little bit that will come crashing down.d we are in a big,, ugly bubble. we had the fed doing political themes. janet yellen at the fed is doing political by keeping interest rates at this level. the day obama goes off in the leaves and goes out to the golf course for the rest of his life to play golf, when they raise interest rates to a season thato didn't happen because the site is not doing their job. the fed is more political than secretary clinton. >> mr. trump, we are talking about the burdens americans have to paid you have not released her tax returns. the recent nominees have released their tax returns as voters will know if their potential president owes money and any business conflicts. don't americans have a right too not present a conflict of interest?
8:48 am
>> among the routine audit and it will be released and as soon as the audit is finished it will be released. you'll learn more about donald trump by going down to the w federal elections where i filed a 104 page essentially financial statement of sorts, the forms that they have. it shows income. i just looked today. the income and five at $694 million this past year. you would've told me i was going to make it 15 or 20 years ago i' would've been very surprised. that's the kind of thinking our country needs.s. the country is being ripped off by every single country in the world. it is the kind of thing in our country needs because everybody, lester, we have a trade deficit with all the countries we do business with of almost 800 le dollars a year. you know what that is? that means he was negotiating these trade deals?
8:49 am
we have people who are political hacks negotiating trade deals. >> the irs is that an audit of your taxes you are perfectly free to release the audit. does the public's right to know outweigh? >> i told you i will release as soon as the audit did i've been under audit for 15 years. i know a lot of wealthy people that have never been audited. i get audited almost every year. in a way i should be complaining. i'm not even complaining. i don't mind it. it's become a way of life. i get audited by the irs that other people don't. we have a situation in this country that has to be taken care of. i will release my tax returns against my lawyer's wishes. when she releases her dirty 3000 e-mails that have been deleted. as soon as she releases them, i will release my tax returns and that is against my lawyers say don't do it. i will tell you this.
8:50 am
in fact, almost every lawyer says don't release her returns until the audit is complete. when the audit is complete i'll do it. i would go against them. >> it's negotiable? >> is not negotiable. why did she delete dirty 3000? >> images admonished the audience by martine. it would be helpful for us. if we carry clinton. >> i think you've seen another o example of events which year. for 40 years, everyone running for president has released taxr returns. you can see 39, 40 years of tax returns but everyone has done it. the irs has made clear there is no prohibition on releasing it when you're under audit. he got to ask yourself, why won't he release his tax returns? or maybe a couple of reasons. first, maybe he's not as rich as
8:51 am
he says he is. second, maybe he's not as charitable as he claims to be. third, we don't know all of hisl business dealings, but we have been told for investigative reporting videos about $650 million to wall street and foreign banks and maybe he doesn't want the american people, all of you watching tonight to know that he's paid nothing in federal taxes because the only years anybody's ever seen for a couple years but has had to turn them over to state authorities when he was trying to get a casino license and they showed he didn't pay any federal income tax. if he paid zero, batting zero for troops, zero for guys, zero for schools or health. i think probably it's not all bad dizzy and sick about having the rest of our countries be what the real reasons are because it must be some teen really important, even terrible
8:52 am
he's trying to hide. the financial disclosuree statement, they don't give me seemsx rate. and it just seems to me that thd american people deserve to see. there is something he's hiding that while gas. we will keep guessing out what it might be that he's hiding. the question is where he averaged to get near the white house, what would be those conflicts? who does he owe money to? a well, he owes you the answers to that and he should provide them. >> he also raised the issue of your e-mails. you want to respond to that? >> i do. i made a mistake is in a private e-mail. >> that's for sure.nt >> if i had to do it over again i would obviously do it differently.
8:53 am
i'm not going to make excuses. >> that was more than a mistake. that was the purposely. when you have your staff taking the fifth amendment, taking the fifth so they are not the i prosecuted. when you have set up the illegal server, taking the fifth, i think it is disgraceful. believe me, this country really thinks it's disgraceful also. as far as my tax returns coming about where and not mushroom tax returns. you learn a lot from financial disclosure. you should go down and take a look at that. i'm extremely under the bridge. the report that said 650, which by the way a lot of friends of mine that now my biz is that's not a lot of money relatives. they sat in the same report, t which was in a been a bad story to be honest with you. the buildings are worth
8:54 am
$3.9 billion. 650 zoom in on that. but i could give you a list of things that would help you. these are very fine institutions, very signed tanks. i'm very under the bridge. u have a great company, a tremendous income and the reason i say that is not in a braggadocio sway. it's about time that this country had somebody running it as an idea about money. we have $20 trillion in debt in our country is a mess. our roads are good and the bridges are good and everything is in great shape. our airports are like from a third world country. you land at laguardia, kennedy, lax, newark and you come in from dubai and qatar in china and you see these incredible airport. we've become a third world country. the worst of all things have
8:55 am
happened. we owe $20 trillion we are a mess. we haven't even started. we spent $6 trillion in the middle east according to a report that i just saw, whether it's six or five, but it looks like it's fixed. $6 trillion in the middle east. we could have rebuilt our country twice and it's really a shame that its politicians like secretary clinton that have caused this problem.us our country has tremendous problems. we are a serious debtor nation and we have a country that needs new roads, bridges, schools, half the adult and we are not the money because it has squandered a so many of your ideas. >> and maybe it's because youve haven't paid any federal for a lot of years. the other thing that it is important. >> it would be squandered, too, believe me.hi >> if your main claim is your business, i think we should talk about that.
8:56 am
you know, your campaign manager said he built a lot of o businesses on the backs of little guys. and indeed i have met a lot of the people who were stiffed by you in your biz this is, donald i've made dishwashers, paintersc architects, glass installers, marble installers, drapery installers like i got was who you refuse to pay when they finished the work that you asked them to do. we have an architect in the audience who designed one in your clubhouse is that one of your golf courses. it is a beautiful facility. it immediately was quick to use then you would pay what the man needed to be paid.b >> maybe he didn't do a good job and i was unsatisfied with his work, which are country should do, to. >> the thousands of people you have stiffed over the course of
8:57 am
your biz is deserve some kind of apology from someone who has taken their labor, taken a good day produce and refuse to pay them. i released my late father never did business with you. he provided a good class life for us. the people he worked for, he expected the bargain to be kept on both sides. when we talk about your business, you have taken his no-space herbs the six times. there are a lot of great business people that i've never taken encrypts one. you call yourself thinking of that. you talk about leverage. even at one time testing youou would try to negotiate down the national debt of the united states. well, sometimes there is not a direct transfer of skills for business to government. but sometimes what happened in his would be really bad for.
8:58 am
government. we need to be fair and nuclear about that. >> some of the greatest assets anywhere in the world beyond the united states and europe, lots of different places. it's an unbelievable company. but on occasion, four times we used servant laws that are there. when secretary clinton talks about people that didn't get paid, first of all they did get paid a lot, but taking it a image of laws of the nation. if you want to change the laws come you've been there a long time. change the laws. i take advantage of the laws of the nation because i'm running to come me. my obligation is to do well fro, the love, my family, my employees and the company's good what she doesn't say is that tens of thousands of people that are unbelievably happy and that
8:59 am
loved me. i'll give you an example. we are just opening up on pennsylvania avenue right next to the white house. g if i don't get there don't get their don't get there one way, get to pennsylvania avenue, but we are opening the old post office. under budget ahead of schedule, save tremendous money. i'm a year ahead of schedule and that is what this country should be doing. we built those two and three and four times what they are w supposed to cost. we buy products for and they come at a cost so far above because we don't have people that know what they are doing.t when we look at the budget, and the budget is bad to a large extent because we have peoplew that have no idea as to what too do and how to buy. the trump international is way under budget and way ahead of schedule and we should be able to do that for our country. >> we are well behind schedule. we move into our next segment
9:00 am
talking about america's direction. let's start by talking about race. the share of americans as they race relations are bad in this country is the highest it's been in decades. much of the five issued african-americans by police. .. divide? secretary clinton, you get two on this. hillary clinton: well, you're right. remains a significant our country. unfortunately, race still determines too much, often live, ines where people determines what kind of education in their public they can get and, yes, it determines how they're treated in the criminal justice system. those two seen we've seen those two tragic examples in both polls in charlotte. and we've got to do several things at the same time. we have to restore trust between
9:01 am
communities and the police. we have to work to make sure that our police are using the best training, the best that makes, that they are well prepared to use force only when necessary. everyone should be respected by the law, and everyone should respect the law. right now that's not the case in a lot of our neighborhoods. so i have come ever since the first day of my campaign, called for criminal justice reform. i have laid out a platform that i think would begin to remedy some of the problems we have in the criminal justice system. but we also have to recognize, in addition to the challenges that we face with policing, there are so many good, brave police officers who take we want reform. we have to bring communities together in order to begin working on that as a mutual
9:02 am
goal. and we've got to get guns out of hands of people who should notsh have them. begun epidemic is the leading cause of death a young african-american men. more than the next nine causes put together. so we have to do two things, assess it. we have to restore trust, work with the police, make sure they respect the communities and theh committees respecting. and we have to tackle the plague of gun violence which is a big contributor to a lot of the problems that we are seeing today. trump: personal secretary clinton doesn't want to use a couple of words, that's law and order. we need law and order. if we don't have it, when i could have a country. with applicable it's going on in charlotte, this together, the city rife investments, when a look at what's going onn throughout the very start of her country, i mean, i can just keep naming them all day long.
9:03 am
we need law and order in our country. and i just got today passionate the endorsement of the fraternal order of police your just came in. we have endorsements from i think almost every police a group, i meet a large percentage of them in the united states. we have a situation where we have our inner cities, african-americans, hispanics, are living in hell because it's so dangerous. you walk down the street, you get shot. in chicago they have had thousands of shootings, thousands since january 1. thousands of shootings your and i say where is this? is this a war-torn country? what are we doing? and we have to stop the violence. d with to bring back law and order. in a place like chicago or thousands of people have been killed, thousands over the lastt number of years.
9:04 am
in fact, almost 4000 have beena killed since barack obama became president. almost 4000 people in chicago have been killed. we have to bring back law anddoe order. now whether or not in a place like chicago you do stop and frisk, which worked very well.iw mayor giuliani as well.ate it brought the crime rate went down. but you take again went from cripples that shouldn't having it. we have gangs roaming the streets. in many cases they are illegal here, illegal immigrants, and they have guns and issue people. we have to be very strong and we have to be very vigilant.e we have to know what we're doing. right now our police in many cases are afraid to do anything. we have to protect our inner cities because african-american communities are being decimated by crime and a your two minutes has expired by want to follow up. stop and frisk was ruled unconstitutional in new yorkrk
9:05 am
because it largely singled out black and hispanic young men. trump: you're wrong. it went before a judge who was a very against police a judge him it was taken away from her and our mayor, our new mayor reviews to go forward with the case. they would've won on appeal. if you look at it throughout the country there are many places. >> moderator: it's a form of racial profiling. trump: the argument is what you take the guns away from these people that haven't and don't have people that should not have them. these are felons, people that are bad people that shouldn't be -- we have 3000 shootings, chicago, from january 1, when you 4000 people killed in chicago, by guns from the beginning of the presidency of barack obama, his hometown, you have to stop and frisk. you need more police. you need a better community, you know, relation to you don't have good community relations in
9:06 am
chicago. it's terrible. i've property different it's terrible what's going on in chicago. chicago's not the only.e. you go to ferguson, so many different places. you need better relationships. i agree with secretary clinton on this bikini better relationships between the communities and the police c because in some cases it's not good.. what you look at dallas with relationships were reallyations studied, the relationships were really a beautiful thing, and then five police officers were killed one night very violently. so there's some bad things going on, some really bad things. but we need, lester, we need law and order and we need law and order in the inner cities because the people that are moso affected by what's happening are african-american and hispanic people, it is very unfair to them what our politicians are allowing to happen in theclinto. secretary clinton. clinton: i've heard donald say
9:07 am
this at his rallies, and it's really unfortunate that he paid in such a dire negative picture -- paint -- black community in our country. the vibrancy of the black church, the black businesses that employ so many people, theh opportunities that so manyki families are working to provide for their kids. there's a lot that we should be proud of and we should be supporting and lifting up. but we do always have to make sure we keep people safe. therthat are the right ways of g and then there are ways that are ineffective. stop and frisk was found to be unconstitutional. and in part because it was ineffective.nd then it did not do what it needed to do. i believe in community policing. and, in fact, violent crime is one half of what it was in 1991 property crime is down 40%.
9:08 am
we just don't want to see creep back up. we've had 25 years of very good cooperation, but there were some problems, some unintended consequences here too many young african-american and latino men ended up in jail for nonviolent offenses, and it's just a fact that if you're a young african-american man and he do the same thing as a young white man, you are more likely to be arrested, charged, convicted and incarcerated. so we've got to address the systemic racism in our criminal justice system. we cannot just say law and order. we have to say, we have to come forward with a plan that is going to divert people from the criminal justice system, deal with mandatory minimum sentences what you put too many people away for too long for doing too little. we need to have more second chance programs.
9:09 am
i'm glad that we're in thing private prisons and the federal system that i want to see the ended in the state system. you should have a profit motivation to go prison cells with young americans. so there are some positive ways we can work on this. and i believe strongly that strn commonsense gun safety measures would assist us.and this right now, this is something donald has supported, along with the gun lobby, right now we've got too many military style weapons on the streets in a lot of places our police are outgunned.d. we need comprehensive backgroune checks, and we need to keep guns out of the hands of those whoth will do harm, and we finally need to pass a prohibition on anyone is on the terrorist watch list from been able to buy a gun and our country. if you're too dangerous to fly,e you are too dangerous to buy a gun. there are things we can do notin to do it in a bipartisan way
9:10 am
cannot last week you said we could do everything possible to improve policing to go right at implicit bias. to implicit bias. to believe the police aree implicitly biased against black people? clinton: i think implicit bias is upon for everyone not just police. i think unfortunately too many of us in our great country jumped to conclusions about each other. and, therefore, i think we need all of us to be asking hard us b questions about why am i feeling this way? but when it comes to policing, since it could have literally fatal consequences, i said in mw first budget we would put money into that budget to help us deal with implicit bias by retraining a lot of our police officers. i met with a group of very distinguished experts police chiefs a few weeks ago. they admit it's a beach.of they've got a lot of concerns. mental health as one of the
9:11 am
biggest concerns because now police are having had a lot of really difficult mental health problems on the street. they want support. they want more training. they want more assistant. i think the federal government could be in a position where we would offer and provide that. >> moderator: please. trump: for civil i all i agreeeo and a lot of people within my own party want to get certainis rights to people on watch list and no-fly list. i agree with you. when a person is on a watch list for a no-fly list and i had the endorsement of the nra, which i'm very proud of, these are very good people in thereve protecting the second amendment, but i think we have to look very strongly no-fly list and watch lists and when people other even if they should be on there, we'll help them legally, help them get off, but i tend to agree with that quite strongly. i do want to bring up the factfa that you're the one that brought up the word superpredator about young black youth. and that's a term that i think
9:12 am
wise, it's been horrible in that agenda that i think of apologize for it, i think was a terrible thing to say. and when it comes to stop and frisk him talk about taking guns away to talk about taking guns away from gangs and people that use them. added don't think i would don'tt think you disagree with me on this if you want to know the truth. maybe there's a political reason why you can't say it but it don't believe it in the city stop and frisk come with 2200 murders and stop and frisksk brought it down to 500 murders.. 500 murders is a lot of murders. hard to believe-it's likeli supposed to be good? but what from 2200, 500 was continued on by mayor bloomberg. it was terminated by current mayor. but stop and frisk had a tremendous impact on the safety of new york city, tremendous beyond belief.f.so so when you say has to impact it will get picked it a very, veryy big impact. clinton: if are going to talk
9:13 am
about mayors, charges and to the current mayor inez continue to drop including murders. so . trump: you are wrong. murders are up on what new york is an excellent job and i giveve credit across the board going back to mayors, two police chiefs because it has worked. other communities need to come together to do what would work as well. look, one murder is too many. but it is important that wen learn about what has been effective and not go to things that sound good but really didkm not have the kind of impact that we would want your who disagrees with keeping neighborhoods safe? but let's also add, no one should disagree about respecting the rights of young men who live in those neighborhoods. and so we need to do a better job of working again with the communities, faith communities,
9:14 am
business communities as well ase the police to try to deal with this problem. >> moderator: mr. trump, have to ask you -- tried but i would like to respond.t: pl look, the african-american committee has been let down by our politicians. they talk good around election time like right now and electiod day said see you later, i'll see you in four years.s. the african-american, look, the community within the inner cities has been so badlyy' treated, they have been abused and used in order to get votes y by democrats politicians because that's what it is. they control these communities'v for up to 100 years. and i will tell you, you look at the inner-city and i just left it to a just left philadelphia and i just, you see me. i've been all over the place. you decided to stay home and that's okay. but i will tell you, i've been all over and i bet some of the greatest people i will ever meet
9:15 am
within these communities and ve they are very, very upset with what the politicians have told them and what the politicians h done done. clinton: i think donald just criticize me for preparing for this debate. and yes, i did. and you know what else i prepared for? i prepared to be president i think that's a good thing.at's g [applause]five yea >> moderator: mr. cao, provide future perpetua falls under the nation's first black president was not a natural born citizen. you questioned his legitimacy. in the last couple of weeks you acknowledge what most americans have accepted for years, depression was born in the united states.s. can you tell us what took you so long as and very simple to say. sidney blumenthal works for the campaign and close, very close friend of secretary clinton. and her campaign manager, patti
9:16 am
doyle, when, during the campaign, her campaign againstgh brazil bomber, font very hard and you can go look it up and you can check it out and if you look at cnn this past week, patti solis doyle was on wolf blitzer saying that this happened. blumenthal said mcclatchy, highly respected reporter at mcclatchy, to kenya to find out about it. they were pressing it very hard. she failed to get the birth certificate.he when i got involved i didn'trth feel. i got him to give the birth certificate. so i'm satisfied with it. and don't tell you why i'mfi satisfied with it. because i want to get onto defeating ices. because i want to get onto creating jobs. because of what to get on to a strong border. because want to get onto things that are important to me and that of are important to the country cannot i wanted to respond. it's important by want to get the answer.ed the birth certificate was produced in 2011. you continue to tell the story
9:17 am
in question depressions legitimacy in 2012, 13, 14, 15, three since january. so the question is what changedo your mind? trump: nobody was pressing it. nobody was getting at but i figured you would ask the question tonight of course but nobody was can much about it.i but i was the one they got in to reduce the birth certificate. and i think i did a good job. secretary clinton also fought it. i mean, now everybody mentions going to say that's not true. look, it's true. said he blumenthal sent a reporter, you just have to take a look at cnn, the last week, the any do with your former campaign manager, and she was involved but just like she can't bring back jobs, she can't produce cannot i will do to respond to that. there's a lot there but we're talking about racial healing in this segment. what do you say to americans . trump: i say nothing because i was able to get them to produce a. issue to produce a long time before..
9:18 am
when you talk about healing, i think that i developed very, very good relationships over the last little while with theom african-american community.ee i think you can see that. and i feel that they really wanted me to come to that conclusion and i think i did a great job and a great service not only for the code but even for the president in getting him to produce his birth certificate and i'm secretary clinton than seven just listen to what you heard. [laughter] and card as donald just a bit in is going to stand on this debate stage and lester holt would be asking us questions we tried to put the whole racist birth rely to bed. but it can't be dismissed that i easily. he has really started his political activity based on this racist lie that our first black president was not an american
9:19 am
citizen. there was absolutely no evidence for it, but he persisted, he persisted year after year, because some of his supporters, people that he was trying to bring hi onto his fold, and bary believe it or want to believe it.s but remember, donald started his career back in 1973 being sued s by the justice department for racial discrimination because he would not rent apartments in one of his developments to ap african-americans, and he madetp sure that the people who worked for him understood that was the policy. he actually was he twice by the justice department. so he has a long record of engaging in racist behavior. and the birth rely -- birther lie was a very hurtful one. barack obama is a man of great
9:20 am
dignity, and i could tell how much it bothered him and a him, that this was being touted and used against him. but i like to remember what michelle obama said in her and basing speech at our democratic national convention. when they go low, we go high. and barack obama went high, despite donald trump's best efforts to bring him down.u >> moderator: mr. cao, you can respond in the going to move on to the next segment. i trump: i would like to respond to first of all i got to watch a blueprint for this some of your debates against barac barack ob. you trick them with terrible disrespect. i don't watch the way you talk giunta but a lovely everything is in the wonderful you are. it doesn't work that way. you after and. you even sent out for your campaign said that pictures of them in a certain garb, very famous pictures. i don't get it either. just last week your campaign manager said it was true. so when you try to act holier
9:21 am
than thou, it really doesn't work. it really doesn't. as far as the lawsuit, yes, when i was for young i went to my father's company, had a realistic am in brooklyn and queens. and we along with many other companies throughout the country, a federal lawsuit, we were sued. we were -- we settled the suit with a zero, with no admission of guilt. it was easy to do. i notice you bring that up a lot. i also noticed that very nasty commercials you join in so many different ways which i don't do and you. maybe i'm trying to save the money.ch but, frankly, i look, i look at that and i said isn't that amazing? because i settled the lawsuit with no admission of guilt. but that was a lawsuit brought against many real estate firms, and it's just one of those things. i will go one step further.o onp in palm beach, florida, tough community, a brilliant community, a wealthy community, probably the wealthiest community there is in the world, i opened the club and really got
9:22 am
great credit for it. no discrimination against african-americans, against muslims, against anybody. and it's a tremendously successful club, and i'm so glad i did it, and i have been givenv great credit for what i did. and a very, very proud of it. and that's the way i feel. that is the true way i feel. >> moderator: our next segment is called securing america. we want to stop of the 21st century more happening everyday in this country.y. our institutions are under cyber attack and our secrets are being stolen. my question is, who is behind it? how do we fight it? secretary clinton, this answer goes to you. clinton: i think cybersecurity, cyberwarfare will be one of the biggest challenges facing the next president because clearly we are facing at this point to different kinds of adversaries. there are the independent
9:23 am
hacking groups that do it mostly for commercial reasons to try to steal information that they can use to make money.but but increasingly we are seeing cyber attacks coming from states, organs of state. the most recent and troubling of these has been russia. there's no doubt now that russia has used cyber attacks against all kinds of organizations in our country, and i am deeply concerned about the. i know donalds very praiseworthy of vladimir putin, putin is playing a really -- [talking over each other] would've things has done is let loose cyber attackers track into government files, to back into personal files, hack into the democratic national committee. and we recently have had learned that, you know, that this is one of their preferred methods of trying to reach have it and
9:24 am
collect information. we need to make it very clear, whether it's russia, china, iran or anybody else, that united states has much greater capacity. and we are not going to sit idly by and permit state actors to go after our information, our information, our private sector information or our public sector information. and were going to have to make it clear that we don't want to use of the kinds of tools that we have. we don't want to engage in a different kind of warfare.. but we will defend the citizens of this country.ry, an and the russians need to understand that. i think they've been treating ih as almost a probing, how far will th we go, how much will be? that's what i was so shocked when donald public invited putin to hack into americans. that is just unacceptable. it's one of the reasons why 50 national city officials who
9:25 am
served in republican information, and administrations have said that donald is unfit to be the commander-in-chief. it's comments like that they really were a people understand the threats that we face. >> moderator: mr. cao commute two minutes at the same question. who's behind it and how do we fight it turns out i do want to say that i was just endorsed, nor coming next week, it will be over 200 at murrells and generals endorsed me to lead this country. that just happened and many more are coming. and i'm very proud of it. in addition i was just endorsed by i.c.e. they've never endorsed anybody before on immigration. i was just endorsed by i.c.e. of issues recent endorsed, 16,500 border patrol agents. so when secretary clinton talks about this, i'll take the admirals and i will take the generals any day over the political hacks that i see that let our country so brilliant over the last 10 years with her knowledge okay?
9:26 am
because look at the mess we're e in. look at the mess we are in. as far as the cybercom i agreed to part of what secretary clinton said. we should be better than anybody else and perhaps we are not. i do think that knows it was russia that broke into the dnc. she's in russia but i don't, maybe it was. it could be russia but it could also be china. it would also be lots of other people. it to be somebody sitting on the bed that weighs 400 pounds, okay? you don't know who broke into wo dnc. what did we learn with dnc? we learned that bernie sanders was taken advantage of by your people, by debbie wasserman schultz. look what happened to her.wa that bernie sanders was taken advantage of. that's what we learn. whether that was russia, whether that was china, but it was another country, we don't know because the truth is under president obama we've lost control of things that we used to have control over. we came in with the internet. we came up with the internet, to
9:27 am
think secretary clinton and myself would agree very much, when you look at what i said is doing with the internet, theyy are beating us at our own game. isis. so we have to get very, very tough on cyber and cyberwarfare. it's a huge problem. i have a son. he's 10 years old. he has computers. he is so good with these computers can it's unbelievable. this security aspect of cyber is very, very tough. and maybe it's hardly doable. but i will say we are not doing the job we should be doing. but that's true throughout our whole governmental society. we have so many things that we have to do better, lester. and certainly cyber is one of them. clinton: i think there are a number of issues that should be addressing. i have put forth a plan to defeat isis.is it does involve going after them online. i think when you do much more with our tech companies to
9:28 am
prevent isis and other operatives from being able to use the internet to radicalized even direct people in our country in europe and elsewhere. but we also have to intensify our airstrikes against isis and eventually support our arab and kurdish partners to be able to actually take out of isis in raqqa into clai claims of beinga caliphate they were making progress to our military is assisting in iraq, and we're hoping that within the year wiic be able to push isis out iraq and then really squeeze them ind syria. but we have to be cognizant of the fact that they the foreign fighters coming to volunteer for them, foreign money, foreign weapons. so we have to make this a top priority. and i would also do everything possible to take out their leadership.osto
9:29 am
i was involved in another of efforts to take out al-qaeda outership when i was 60 country and secretary of state, taking out bin laden to undertake many people after baghdad as well, make that one of the organizing principles. we've got to defeat isis interesting we can to disruptci their propaganda efforts online. >> moderator: image of i.c.e. and within devices as over there but there are american citizens who conspired to commit acts of terror on americans welcomed the latest incident of course the bombings we just saw in new yor and new jersey, the knife attack at a mall in minnesota, i in the last to come to the attacks in san bernardino in orlando. i'll ask this to both of you. teltold specifically that would prevent homegrown attacks by american citizen, mr. trump?st trump: for second say one thingn very important secretary clinton's talking about taking a isis. we will take out of isis. president obama and secretary clinton created a vacuum the way
9:30 am
they got out of iraq. because they got out, they should have been in a once the guardian, the lady got out was d disaster. and isis was formed. so she talked about taking to the. she's been doing it a long time. she's been trying to take them out for a long time. but they wouldn't have even bee formed if they left some troops behind, like 10,000 or maybe something more than that. and then you would have them. or comments i've been saying for a long time, anything you willim agree because i set it to you once, had we taken the oil, and we should've taken the oil, isis would not been able to form either because the oil was their primary source of income. and now they have the oil all over the place, including the oil, a lot of the oil in libya, which was another one of her disasters. clinton: well, hope the fact checkers are turning up the volume and really working hard. donald supported the invasion of iraq. trump: wrong. clinton: that is absolute proof
9:31 am
over and over again. trump: wrong, wrong. and what he advocated for the action we took into the and urge that gadhafi be taken out after actually doing some business with him one time. but the larger point, he says it is constantly, is george w. bush made the agreement about when american troops would leave iraq, not bravado.y way th the only way that american troops could have stayed in iraq is to get an agreement from the then iraqi government that would've protected our troops, and the iraqi government wouldld not give that. but let's talk about the question you asked, lester. the question you asked is what we do into united states the united states? that's the most important partrt of this. how do we prevent attacks? how do we protect our people? and i think we've got to have intelligence surge where we are looking for every scrap of information.
9:32 am
i was so proud of law enforcement in new york, in minnesota, the new jersey. you know, they responded so quickly, so professionally to the attacks that occurred i rahami.. and they brought him down, and when they find out more information because he is still alive, which may prove to be an intelligence benefit. so we've got to do everything we can to vacuum up intelligenceum from europe, from the middle the east. that means we've got to work more closely with our allies, and that's something that donald has been very dismissive of. we are working with nato, the longest military alliance in history of the world, to really turn our attention to terrorism. we are working with our friends in the middle east, many of which as you know our muslim y majority nations. natio donald has consistently insulted muslims abroad, muslims at home, when we need to be cooperating with muslim nations and with the
9:33 am
american muslim immunities. they are on the frontlines. they can provide information to us that we might not get anywhere else. they need to have close working cooperation with law enforcement in these communities, not be alienated and pushed away at some of don's rhetoric, unfortunately, has led to. trump: i have to respond. the secretary said very strongly about working with, we've beenn working with them for many years, and with the greatest mess anyone has ever seen the you look at the middle east. it's a total mess. under your direction to a large extent. but you look at the middle east. he started the iran deal. that's another beauty we have a country that was ready to fall. i mean, they were doing so badly. they were choking on the sanctions and now they're going to be actually probably a major power at some point pretty soon the way they're going. but when you look at nato, i was asked on a major show, what do you think of nato?
9:34 am
you have to understand i'm a businessperson. i did really well but i've commonsense. i said i'll tell you, i haven't given plots of doctor nato, but two things. and one, a 20 countries of nato, many of them are not paying their fair share.mber number two, and a positive because we are definitive and they should at least be paying us what they're supposed be paying i treaty and contract. and number two, i said, and very strongly, nato could be obsolete, and i threw strong on this and he was covered very accurately in the "new york times" which is unusual for the new times, to be honest. but they said they did not focus on terror. and i was very strong and i said numerous times and about foremost i read on the front page of "the wall street journal" that nato is opening uo a major terror division, and i think that's great. and i think we should get,im because we approximately 73% of the cost of data. it's a lot of money to protect other people.
9:35 am
but i'm all for nato. but i said that to focus on terror also. and they're going to do that and that was can believe me, i'm sure i'm up and get credit for it but that was largely becausec of what i was saying in my criticism of nato. i think we have to get nato to go into the middl middle east w, in addition to surrounding nations and we do not the health of the isis and where to do it fast. with i.c.e. is formed in this that you could buy barack obama and secretary clinton, and believe me, you were the ones that took out the troops. t not only that, you name the day they could leave the. they sat back probably at the i can't believe it. wait a minute. when they formed, when they formed, this is something never should have happened. it should never happen.g out you talk about taking the isis. but you were there and you are second to state when it was a little infant. now it's in over 30 countries. you're going to stop them? i don't think so. >> moderator: a lot of these
9:36 am
are judgment questions. you have supported the war in iraq before the invasion.th what makes your . trump: added not support the iraq war. m that is the mainstream media nonsense put out by her. because she frankly think the best person in a campaign is mainstream media. would you like to your -- i was against wait a minute. i was against the war in iraq.as just so you put out.t. >> moderator: the record shows otherwise. y. which are judgment . trump: the record shows on right when he did interview witht howard stern, very likely, i will, maybe, who knows? essentially. i then did an interview with neil cavuto. we talked about the economy is more important. i then spoke to sean hannity which are but it refuses to call sean hannity. i had numerous conversations with sean hannity of fox. and sean hannity said, and he called me the other day, and i spoke to about it, he said you
9:37 am
were totally against the war. because his for the war. >> moderator: why is your judgment better than . trump: excuse me. sean hannity said her sean hannity said her son to me another people, whose lives have been no one wants to call them. i was against the war. call he said he used a fight with mes because he was in favor of the war. i understand that side also, not very much because we should never been there.e been but nobody calls sean hannity. they needed article in a major magazine shortly after the war started. i think in 2004. but they did an article which had me totally against the war in iraq. and one of your compatriots said, weather was before by data, trump was definitely, because if you read this article there's no doubt. but if somebody, and ask the press, if somebody would call a sean hannity, this was before the war started. he and i used to arguments about the war. i said it's a terrible and a stupid thing.oi it's going to destabilize the middle east, and that's exactly what it's done. it's been a disaster.
9:38 am
>> moderator: my reference wasd to which is in 2002 and my question was why he should just any different thanon. mrs. clinton's judgment? trump: i have much better judgment than she does. there's no question about that. i also have a much better to them than she has last night shn spent, let me tell you, she spent hundreds of millions of dollars on an advertising, they get medicine at the into the room, to put names, temperament, let's go after. i think based on this asset, maybe by far is my temperament. i have a winning temperament. i know how to win. she does not have -- wade, the afl-cio the other day behind the blue screen can't another you were talking to, secretary clinton, but you are totally out of control. i said there's a person with a temperament that's not a problem. clinton: okay. [laughter] let's talk about two important issues that were briefly mentioned by donald.
9:39 am
first, nato. you know, nato as a military alliance has something called article v common basically this is a this. an attack on one is an attack on all. the only time it's ever been invoked come after 9/11 when the 28 nations of nato said that they would go to afghanistan with us to fight terrorism. something that they are still doing by our side. with respect to iran, when i became secretary of state, i went with weeks away from having enough nuclear material to form a bomb. they have mastered the nuclear fuel cycle under the bush administration. they have built covert facility. they have stocked them with centrifuges that were whirling away. and we have sanctioned of them. i voted for every sanction against iran when i was in the senate, but it wasn't enough. so i spent a year now putting
9:40 am
together a coalition that included russia and china to impose the toughest sanctions on iran. and we did drive them to the negotiating table. and my successor, john kerry, and president obama got a deal that put a lid on iran's nuclear program without firing a single shot. that's diplomacy. that's coalition building. that's working with other nations. the other day i saw donald saying that there were some iranian sailors on the ship and the waters off of iran, and they were talking american soldiers who are on a nearby ship. he said, you know, if they taunted our sailors i blow them out of the water and start another war. that's not good judgment. trump: that would not start a war. clinton: that is not the right to prevent to be commander-in-chief, to be taunted, and the worst part -- got to know, they were talking
9:41 am
us. clinton: despicable we are dollars has been about nuclear weapons. he is admittedly he didn't care if other nations get nuclear weapons, japan, south korea, even saudi arabia. it is been the policy of the united states, democrats and republicans, to do everything we could to reduce the proliferation of nuclear weapons. he even said if they were nuclear war in east asia, you know, that's fine. trump: wrong. clinton: have a good time, folks. and, in fact, he is have an attitude about nuclear weapons is so deeply troubling. that is the number one threat we face in the world and it becomes particularly threatening if terrorists ever get their hands on any november 2. so a man who can be provoked by a tweet should not have his fingers anywhere near the nuclear codes, as far as i think anyone with any sense about this should be concerned. trump: outlines getting a little old i must say.
9:42 am
i would like to , it' is a goode though. it well describes the problem. trump: it's not enacted when. it's not enacted when. i just want to give a lot of things. i agree with on one thing. the single greatest problem the world as it is nuclear armament, nuclear weapons, not global warming like you think and your president things. nuclear is the single greatest threat. just to go down the list, we did in japan, we did in germany, we defend south korea, we defend saudi arabia, we defend countries. they did not pay us. but they should be paying us because we are providing tremendous service and we're losing a fortune. that's why we're losing, we lose and everything. i say who makes these? we lose on everything. i said it's possible that if they don't pay a fair share, because this is a four years ago when we could do what we're doing. we can't defend japan, a
9:43 am
behemoth, summit as cars by the million -- time that we need to move on. trump: it's very important of all he said was they have to defend themselves or help us out. we are a country that owes $20 trillion. they have to help us out. affords the nuclear is concerned, i agree. it is the single greatest threat that this country has. >> moderator: which leads to my next question of in our last segment still on the subject of securing america. president obama reportedly considered changing the nation's long-standing policy on firstap, use. to support the current policy? mr. trump, you have two minutes. trump: i have to say or what secretary clinton sing about nuclear with russia, she's veryi talented and the way she talks about various countries. but russia's been expanding, they have a much newer capabilities in we do.ca we have not been updating from the new standpoint i looked at the other night. i was seeing b-52's old enough that her father, a grandfather
9:44 am
could be flying them. we are not keeping up with other countries. i would like everybody to end it, just get rid of it. but i would surely not do first strike. once the nuclear alternative happened, it's over.al at the same time we have to be prepared. i can't take anything off the table. casually to some of these, countries, you look at north korea, we are doing nothing there. china should solve that problem for us. china should go into north korea. china is totally powerful as it relates to north korea.s to nor and by the way, another one powerful is the worst do i think that there is a negotiated that you store is the iran deal. iran is one of the biggest trading partners. iran has power over north korea. and when they made the horrible do with iran, they should have included the fact that they do something with respect to north korea. and they should've done something with respect to yemen and all these other places. and when asked to secretary kerry, why didn't he do that?
9:45 am
why didn't you at other things into the deal? one of the great giveaways of all time, of all time, including $400 million in cash. nobody's ever seen that before. that turned out to be wrong. it was actually $1.7 billion in cash, obvious i guess for the hostages. it certainly looks that way. so you say to yourself why didn't they make the right deal? this is one of the worst deals ever made by any country in history. the deal with iran will be to nuclear problems. all they have to do is sit back 10 years. they don't have to do much. >> moderator: your two minutes is inspired. trump: i met with bibi netanyahu the other day. only thing he is not a happy camper tonight mrs. clinton, you two minutes. clinton: let me start by saying words matter your words matter when europe when the president and it really matter when you are president.
9:46 am
and i want to reassure our allies in japan and south korea and elsewhere that we have mutual defense treaties and weew will honor them. who it is essential that america's word be good. so i know that this campaign has caused some questioning and some worries on the part of many leaders across the globe. i've talked with a number of them. but i want come on behalf of myself, and i think i may have a majority of the american peoplee say that, you know, our word iso good. it's also important that we look at the entire global situation. there's no doubt that we have other problems with iran. but personally, i'd rather do with the other problems having put that lived on their nuclear program than still be facing that. and donald never tells you what he would do. would be a started a war? what is bomb iran?
9:47 am
if he's going to criticize the deal that has been very successful in giving us access to iranian facilities that we h never had before, then he should tell us what his alternative would be. but it's like his plan to defeat isis. he says it's a secret plan, but the only secret is that he hass no plan. so we need to be more precise in how we talk about these issues. people around the world follow our presidential campaigns so closely, trying to get hints about what we will do. can they rely on us? are going to lead the world with strength and in accordance with our values? that's what i intend to do. i intend to to be a leader of our country that people can count on, both here at home andn around the world, to make decisions that will further peace and prosperity, but alsor stand up to bullies, whether they are abroad or at home.
9:48 am
we cannot let those who would try to destabilize the world to interfere with america's interests and security -- >> moderator: your two minutes is . clinton: is given in evidence at all that the one thing i'd like to say. i will go very quick but i will take that hillary will tell your to go to our website and read all about how to defeat isis, which she could defeated by never having it, you know, to go into first place. right now it's getting tougher and tougher to defeat them because they are immortal places, more and more states than one more nation.s, it's a big problem. as far as japan is concerned, i want to all of our allies but we are losing billions and billions of dollars. we cannot be the policeman of the world. we cannot protect countries all over the world where they are not paying us what we need. >> moderator: we have just a few final questions. trump: she doesn't say that because she is no business to build. we need hard, a lot of things we
9:49 am
can get some basic ability. sadly she doesn't have to. all of the things he's talking about could be taken care of during the last 10 years let's say while she had great power. but they were not taken care of it if she wins this race, they will not be taken care of. >> moderator: this year sector clinic in the first woman nominated for president by major party. only this but he said she does not quote a presidential look. she standing here right now. what did you mean by that. >> moderator: she doesn't have to look. she doesn't have the stamina. i said she doesn't have the stamina. evidently she does have the stamina. to be president of this country unique tremendous stamina. >> moderator: the quote was i i just don't think she has the st president-elect. trump: wait a minute. wait a minute left to. he asked a question. did you ask me a question?k you have to be able to negotiate our trade deals. you have to go to negotiate, that's right, with japan, with wudi arabia. can you imagine what defending saudi arabia? and with all of the money they have come we defeat an agenda
9:50 am
and? all you have to do speak to the. wait. yesterday different things yet to be able to do, and i do believe hillary has the stamina. >> moderator: let's let her respond. clinton: well, as soon as he travels the wonderful countries and negotiate a peace deal, aa cease-fire, a release of dissidents, and opening of new opportunities in nations around the world, or even spends 11 hours testifying in front of the congressional committee, he can talk to me about stamina. [applause] trump: the world -- that me tell you. let me tell you. hillary has experience, but it's bad experience. we have made some and bad dealss during the last, so she's gothen experience, that i agree. [applause] but it's bad, bad experience. whether it's the iran deal that you're so in love with, where we gave them $150 billion back, whether it's the iran deal,'s whether it's anything you can,
tv-commercial
9:51 am
you almost can't made a video. i agree. she's got experience but it's bad extremes. this country can't afford another four years of that kind of experience. [applause] cannot we are at the final question.g] clinton: one thing very quickes lester. you try to switch from looks toi stamina. this is a man who has called women pigs, slavs and dogs. enceladus said pregnancy is an inconvenience to employers, who has said that . trump: i never said that . clinton: women don't deserve equal pay and endless -- one of the first things he did was about a woman in a beauty contest. he loves beauty contest, supporting them in hanging around them. anticult this woman miss piggyy -- and he called this woman's miss piggy. then he called her this housekeeping because she wasas looking.
9:52 am
dollar, she has a name. trump: where did you find this? kind which is become a u.s. citizen and you can bet she's going to vote this november.ay trump: okay, good to let me just tell you. [applause] trump: hillary is hitting me with tremendous commercial. some of its ascent in entertainment. some of it is said, somebody's been very gracious to me, rosie o'donnell, i said very tough things to her and i think everybody would agree that she deserves it and nobody feels sorry for her. but you want to know the truth? i was going to say something extremely rough to hillary, to her family, and i said to myself, i can't do it. i just can't do it. it's inappropriate. it's not nice. but she spent hundreds of millions of dollars on negative ads on me, many of which areol absolutely untrue. they are untrue. and their misrepresentations. i military this, lest you it's not nice. and i don't deserve that.
9:53 am
but it's certain not a nice thing that she's done. it's hundreds of millions ofs ads. and the only gratifying thing is, i saw the polls coming today, and with all of that money -- we have $200 million is spent and i'm either winning or tide and i spent practically nothing. [applause] >> moderator: one of you will not win this election. my fina final equation to decide you willing to accept the outcome as the will of the voters? secretary clinton time i supporc our democracy. sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but i will surely support he outcome of this election. and i know donald is trying very hard to plant doubts about it, but help the good people out there understand, this election is really up to you. it's not about us so much as it is about you and your families and the kind of country in future you won't. so i sure hope you get out and vote as though your future depended on it, because i think
9:54 am
it does have a mr. trump, very quickly, when you took the outcome as the will of the t voters? trump:voters. >> moderator: i wanted make america great again. we are a nation that iss? seriously troubled. i we are losing our jobs. people are pouring into our country.. the other day we were deporting 800 people. and perhaps they passed the wrong button, they pressed the wrong button, or perhaps worse than that, it was corruption. that these people that we are going to deport for good reason intended up becoming citizens. ended up becoming citizens.d it was 800, now turns out to by the 1800, and they don't even know. look, i want to make america great again or i'm going to be able to do what i do believe hillary will pick the answer is if she wins, i will actually support her. [applause] >> moderator: that is going to do it for us. that concludes our debate for this event, a spirited one. we covered a lot of ground, that everything as a suspect we would. the next presidential debates are scheduled for october 9 at
9:55 am
washington university in st. louis and october 19 at the university of nevada las vegas. the conversation will continue. a reminder, the vice presidential debate is scheduled for october 4 album would university in fargo virginia.nk my thanks to a brookly brooklyne donald trump at hofstra university for hosting us tonight. goodnight everyone.ed to ight. [applause] >> thanks, lester. [inaudible conversations] [shouting]
9:56 am
[inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations]
9:57 am
[inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations]
9:58 am
[inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations]
9:59 am
[inaudible conversations] >> c-span, created by american cable television companies that brought you as a public service by your cable or satellite provider. >> you said about the gavel in to start the day. more work expected on a short-term government funding bill. current funding runs out at the end of this week september 30. about to advance the measure scheduled for 2:15 p.m. eastern time right after their weekly party lunches. 60 votes will be needed to move the legislation forward. live now to the floor of the senate here on c-span2.
10:00 am
the president pro tempore: the senate will come to order. the chaplain, dr. barry black, will lead the senate in prayer. the chaplain: let us pray. immortal, invisible, god only wise, do not stand far away from

44 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on