Skip to main content

tv   Public Affairs Events  CSPAN  November 1, 2016 10:00pm-12:01am EDT

10:00 pm
police department to in fact track on drugs. in this discussion before they turn to doctor woods who will wrap up the panel and turn to q-and-a, it's important we think about what the crime is because it is often wrong. people say that the police go where crime is. let me tell you as a law professor that started at the university of chicago and who used to teach in chicago, crime happens on every university campus every weekend and during the week. how many of you can blog about that can elicit drug use and drug selling come under age drinking and how many police come in cracking down, they don't. so we just go where the crime happens. that's not true. if we want to find out where it is, we do. stop at harvard, yale, found
10:01 pm
another at the university of chicago, crime is happening but that isn't where the policing is happening. so the statistics are skewed. it suggests we were just going where the crime was. if you don't see the statistics pointing to those universities and other places, then it's not accurate, and you know this from your own experience. we will conclude with doctor woods. >> it is such a pleasure to be here into such a pleasure to see so many people. i was momentarily distracted when she talked about 1968 because it reminded me that in 1968, i was a hippie and obviously black with my ripped jeans on, i won't comment about
10:02 pm
the marijuana [laughter] it was certainly a time that was very exciting for me. when i think back on what she said in terms of the circumstances that have to change, it makes me feel really helpful to see you here when you didn't have to be, because circumstances don't have to change. you have the responsibility to determine whether the circumstances will change or not. in the early 20th century there was a species of bird that replaced coal mines and silver mines, goldmine and they were there to determine whether the chest fumes that were coming out of the mines were coming out at
10:03 pm
such a rate as to kill the minors. if they died the miners knew the noxious fumes were coming out and they should get out of the mine. of those children suffered from repetitive gun violence are the canary people of our society positioned in the mine shaft of our culture, suffering the killing consequences of our actions. our children familiar adapt and grow in an unhealthy and dangerous way often beyond our ability to understand and control. my role on the panel is to provide the developmental trajectory that followed the first for a moment, let's think for a moment how the environment
10:04 pm
and of the brain interact. when a human child is born of 40% oabout40% of its brain is d. in and i don't know the child's name i apologize, it's about 90% developed. by our human brains so woefully developed at birth? y. our children so immature developmentally compared to other species, what we believe is they have so much left to learn. they have to learn coping skills and language, reading, writing, spelling, social skills, socializing and most of all they have to learn. for others. we understand the genetics that
10:05 pm
respond directly to the repetitive trauma creating eventually a numbing alteration of bodily and brain function and we have examples of both. at the winter phenomena is an example of the body functioning going awry secondary to trauma in 1945. there were those that suffered what was called a finite nutritional felony. they learned because of the extraordinary hunger that they underwent to change their body and infect use nutrition and nutrients in a much different way than other generations. what ended up happening was an incredibly high rate of diabet
10:06 pm
diabetes. they are secondary to nutrition. in the same way that we see this physically, they're logically there is trauma on the brain. if you have a chance to read doctor einstein's brain has the largest in the body other than the frontal lobe, it is the part that is damaged by, and we see children cannot get the big picture. they cannot effectively deliberate. their ability to abstract and this is the literature that we now know, this isn't a theory. we know this and we can look at the mri into the imaging and see the impact. a noted neuropsychologist says the consequences of the early experience can be so persistent as to be multi-generational and
10:07 pm
as we grow older we see our parents and perhaps grandparents and our actions and behaviors and beliefs. so the rain is always developing and at any given point in life the brain has been sculpted by all that has come before it even buy things long before. the game become a rapper from compton california was asked in a documentary called the streets of compton, what he felt to be the most devastating thing occurring in compton california. he could have said poverty because we all know the impact of poverty. he could have said education because we know the undermining of education leads to an impact in our ability to critical thinking. what he said, however, was guns.
10:08 pm
this is important when considering whether the long-term consequences can be reversed to excuse deprivation to the shortage of love or the corrosive fear and wesson of hopelessness. don't forget all of us are. of us have to in order to stay alive. thank you very much. [applause] i really want to thank you all and also the congressmen and women whose offices that you work in the end of their and thd care about these issues let's
10:09 pm
conclude and then take the q-and-a with a couple things that our american public and you should know. in 2015, there were almost 13,000 people killed in the united states. let's put that in context over a ten year period between 2005 and 2015 there were 71 americans killed by careless attacks so 71 americans in terrorist attacks and during that same period, gun violence over 300,000. i think that tells us something and puts it in perspective about the urgency of this issue and our responsibility to address these issues. i think with all you've heard today there's one thing we all agree upon and that is the
10:10 pm
explicit repeal of the amendme amendment. the amendment is even one that former congressman had said he regrets having authored. it's something he says we should think about again. but what the amendment debated idid inthe 1990s is explicitly d one of the funds made available for injury prevention at the cdc may be used to advocate or promote gun control, and this was said to be a shot across with the cdc stopping any research that it was doing on public health and gun violence. since then, president obama said you can go forward and do this, but just last year alone there were over 110 members of
10:11 pm
congress to decide what'congresn explicit repeal because the cdc isn't doing it. the cdc isn't fear they will be violating federal law to engage in research that would tell us about the public impact of gun license. there were 110 members that signed the letter about this. and even if the repeal goes forward, and we certainly hope that it does, there remains the question of congressional funding so that we can understand this problem better. with that, are there any questions you all have? please identify yourself and speak as loud as you can. >> i have a question for anyone on the panel because you are qualified and i would love to hear from any of you.
10:12 pm
drugs and gun violence are often believed in this coming november states of initiatives to legalize marijuana in particular is one of campaigns are noting a lot of discrimination, excessive force comes along with the war on drugs so i want to know if any of you are seeing evidence that there is going to be a reduction in gun violence and police excessive force if and when some of these initiatives to legalize drugs specifically marijuana are passed. >> quickly for the viewing audience, the question is with many marijuana initiatives on the ballot for november, is there an expectation there will be a reduction in gun violence. >> the experience we've had in certain states there has been a
10:13 pm
reduction in certain types of arrest, etc. when marijuana has been legalized however it is important to keep in mind when we talk about drugs we are talking about alcohol as well, not just illegal drugs. when most of my work is done with capital cases and people on death row many of those cases are alcohol, so we still have to look at the impact of alcohol as well as those on the ballot to be legalized. >> there's another question up here. i can only speak for chicago.
10:14 pm
we have to deal with the fact our young people don't have anything to do so it's not that they are killing each other over drugs but basically threw in a just want to be one. i don't know if you know what journal music is that it's basically music where you bang bang through music so if i say that i'm in with somebody else and there is a record label giving the money to basically kill my fellow opposition, then drugs have nothing to do with it. so no, the drug thing, no. >> this organization i run has over 200,000 members now, cops, judges, prosecutors, prison officials, and we believe that yes, the war on drugs is what is
10:15 pm
causing almost all the gun violence. when you say that the drug is elicited just like we said alcohol was illicit, organized crime was created and started selling the illegal alcohol. to do that everyone got a gun because if you got ripped off of your product or your money you put in to say i was just robbed so everybody had to have a gun and that is what is happening now that we started this war on other drugs. and everybody committees young kid that can't get a job because we don't worry about the kids in certain neighborhoods getting the job, they got into the drug business because it is their thy choice and most of them would never be doing that if they were given another decent choice.
10:16 pm
but this is what they do and they would have to have a gun to protect themselves and you've got a gun and you are in a situation where when i was a kid somebody would diss my girlfriend or say something bad they would probably get punched in the nose but when you have a gun in your pocket people pull that out and use it. >> one moment please. >> thank you for being here. my question has to do with improper policing and violence and heavy you have so much evidence on how it is done in terms of the public law that no one ever gets punished for it. >> i will tell you i researched not just in minnesota both
10:17 pm
nationally. think about it, never in the history in the state of minnesota both what has to happen as they talk about this transparency and accountability, the justice department says they want data what are the consistencies and the standards of doing that until we see systemic reform and not just one case after another because they think there has to be some federal case that this becomes the standard of how we do this in the east policing cases because we saw the videos bob showed us and we know people are not invited and until there is some kind of an accountability and people are held accountable, this will continue.
10:18 pm
>> let me add to that and take the next question we know there must be better researched. most police departments do not keep statistics on this and do not have cameras and if they do they don't check to make sure that they are actually taping and reviewing the tapes. less than 1% are invited after the police shooting and this raises questions about prosecutors to expand the conversation we have to also look at the accountability of prosecutors and whether or not they will pursue these particular cases and ethical ways and that is a gap and we have to pay attention to that if we want to see the reform takes place. there is another question up here in the front. >> my name is madeline, and i'm an intern.
10:19 pm
i was wondering if the nra is still the main obstacle to the sensible gun legislation and funding for research and how their influence can be resisted and overcome. >> thank you for that question. >> yes, they are and that is what we are trying to do. it's basically to educate you guys and legislators to save take a stand. no more will you fund our campaigns. that's what we all have to do, we have to put the pressure on our elected officials that state if you don't vote for the common sense gun legislation you will not be elected and that's what we need to do. >> to no longer be a source of pride, that shouldn't be a point of pride for any legislator who say that they are resistant to
10:20 pm
taking money from lobbyists. the first on that list should in fact be the nra that pressured congress that led to the amendment and i think that anybody watching this, any of you in this room would see the travesty in shackling or go to cdc from studying the impact of gun violence. there is no other country in the world that would say we don't allow ourselves to look at these impacts. let me give you a statistic. did you know that in 2005, one toddler per week shot someone. one toddler per week shot someone in the united states and we say we can't researched this or look at this?
10:21 pm
why would we allow ourselves to be shackled like that. there's a question in the back. >> my name is sydney jordan and i may teach or america fellow. thank you for being here today. this is such an enormous problem in our country. as someone that comes from a community where i've had friends shocked by the police, gun violence, and a brother in prison for 20 years for drug trafficking, sometimes it gets very, very discouraging. so i'm wondering what advice do you have for young legislative assistance and people in general to try to help eradicate this problem. >> the first thing i would suggest is talk to your
10:22 pm
legislators about ending job position. there's nothing that can be done in one fell swoop that would do more to reduce death, disease, crime, addiction and save billions of our dollars than ending the war on drugs. in 46 years that we've been fighting it, we have spent over 1.5 trillion all we have to show for it is that we made it more than 50 million arrests in this country alone for nonviolent drug offenses. 44% of those, 22 million were marijuana offenses. then we d did everything we possibly can to destroy those young people's lives that we are arresting and it just makes the situation worse and worse and worse. it is a self perpetuating constantly expanding policy
10:23 pm
disaster. >> does anyone else want to address the question? pass the microphone please, thank you. >> in last week's foreign affairs, there was a fascinating article called the great white note, and it speaks to the populism that we are seeing not just in the united states but around the world. we are seeing england and angela merkel in germany having difficulty with immigration. if you were going to see a broadening of the constituency as long as it's been an issue that just looks like it affected poor black folks were abducted from folks, there's not much interest. trust me. when i told you about the canary people, it wasn't just about our families and children. it's going to be your children. you need to take that into
10:24 pm
consideration. it's going to be your children that are going to be concerned about gun violence and it's going to be your grandchildren that will be concerned because the world is changing and if we don't do something about that now, it's going to be a constituency that's going to be much larger than the ones that can be ignored. >> we will take one final question and it's in the back of the room. >> my question regarding police brutality and police violence it seems like every single time there's a fatal shooting in baltimore and recently in charlotte, there's a big uprising and protest. but that energy seems to die down after a couple days. i know that awareness is paid not just in the police brutality, how can we get that awareness to stick
10:25 pm
>> the process has to be accelerated. the ability to begin an independent or civil investigation needs to happen sooner. in our area what happens is there is a shield that keeps the data and especially the video and audio secret until the close of the grand jury and that is too long and public opinion dies down. i think it needs to happen sooner. we are pushing for that in minnesota and will hopefully get some results, but it needs to occur more quickly.
10:26 pm
on the related topicof the investigation has to be done with the same standard if it were uni that were committing the crime. >> and obviously i agree with everything said about as citizens, we have to realize we have responsibilities into the conversation has to continue. the reason i took the case is because i had been home cursing at the television time and time and time again. and i have to say you've got to try to make a difference. and that's why we are so committed to the reform, not just a civil action, but reform that is sustainable and transferable. but in the gap of us gettin getg indy's results, there have to be these conversations in the community that can continue that
10:27 pm
really challenge the basic fundamental of why there is such a lack of transparency. quickly, a few weeks ago i had one of the most remarkable experiences of my life. i got to moderate a panel with eric gardner's mother, the twin sister just killed in tulsa, and oscar brand, the young man that was killed at the station in oakland. there were 4,000 people there, packed. and the question was we can't let you leave unless there is an action plan. and that's why i appreciate this panel and the townhall tonight because we have to leave each of these events with clear actions about what we are going to do next.
10:28 pm
>> i agree with everything she said that i would add because i am a protester and a lot of people don't see the action that we do behind the protesting, so we do go to our board meetings and we do organize and our strategic when we organize and we do campaigns on social media, the say her name campaign and say his name campaign and keep each other informed but most of all, we vote. if you see this past march we got the state's attorney alvarez out of office because she knew about.com for of mcdonald, so we have to state at this and we have to keep spreading awareness and get involved in the political process. >> i want to thank you all for joining us.
10:29 pm
remember we said repeal the amendment. you've heard about the mass incarceration and our drug war in the united states that specifically incentivizes the police departments to do a kind of policing that is undignified and puts them in very compromised positions. you've also seen by the video the complicity of other officers in some very violent activities against civilians. i encourage you to join us tonight at the national press club or watch the live streaming and i want to conclude i think she provides a voice for these particular issues particularly from the millennial perspective. one week from now will be the national election when we will be electing a new president and it's the time when local officials will be elected.
10:30 pm
i urge you to hold them accountable with your vote and thank you for joining us today. [applause] ..
10:31 pm
>> if. >> tonight the crucial race for governor this team governor. >> will lead to making it
10:32 pm
permanent. >> trying to score some political points to extend medicaid is the absolute fly off. >> there have been a lot of big issues in front of us that the governor will have to tackle. >> to see if the candidates will see eye-to-eye. is, glad best. right now. >> moderator: good evening we will welcome the candidates to our studio to take part of these discussions - - issues that matter most to you. >> ecolab one minute to respond at the end that
10:33 pm
candidates will give a one minute closing statement. we are partnering with these open debate coalition that helps to better represent the people. said tonight's debate will offer the top questions by 120,000 voters from new hampshire and around the nation. >> moderator: we have a lot of issues but let's start with the charges of the contentious campaign. you often highlight your business credentials over the past six years. when you say you have created hundreds of jobs for the democratic party n your opponent who says there are lost jobs since you took over operation six years ago. and they have urged you to take it down relative to the
10:34 pm
chance to respond. >> thanks for hosting tonight. the fact that we have created jobs is undeniable. coming back from a california driven company as we have realized we have those aspects to have quality housing and have activities to be run used to be run by a vermont group and now are localized i have created hundreds of jobs i just had $10 million to create new trails all new hampshire workers to talk
10:35 pm
about anything that they can. but the successes undeniable lie in incredibly proud of that. >> response? >> what i think is how we can reverse a four word. certainly there are elements that they think would be detrimental to us in new hampshire. since then they have lost market share lost jobs there are 62 jobs and whether public radio or business review but my concern is the fact if you have a governor as opposed to having a state minimum-wage at all does not help the people of new hampshire.
10:36 pm
if they want to hold their hours back not give them health care we see that but with a candidate for governor voting to cut off funding for cancer screenings and birth control for thousands of women. we can move this date forward together. >> moderator: we will get to a lot of those issues together. sununu: but also on the east coast investing and growing to create jobs with all the experience. and they clearly don't understand. clearly they do not understand how business works. politicians like to talk about creating jobs. that is all then it -- well and good bye create jobs that is the experience that we need in the quarter office. >> moderator: in recent
10:37 pm
weeks the counselor has brought up your experience as a political operative that you don't talk much of the campaign trail. why? >> and over what each will do to move the economy for word. unlike the governor earlier my career i was in politics just like governor lynch but most of my background with my professional experience and was in the private sector. if you talk about creating jobs there was about one dozen police at the time but to define success and how many jobs they create but there are thousands of students without debt because of the program but think that is something to
10:38 pm
be proud of with an is dances dark contrast but that this minister and we have partially have seen. >> in his short 15 year career spent as a paid political operative professional trained to be partisan and divisive we see that in television all the time the negativity that is what we don't need here. i was cleaning up landfills we were walking in -- working for that democratic party and was working for fillies and disabilities. the question i want to ask is when he was working for john edwards how explain to the people or the women of new hampshire were to be the spokesperson of somebody like john edwards? we need to have open and
10:39 pm
honest transparency. >> i think the voters care about their life and what we will do for them. i'm the only candidate here who has won high to% has supported plan period i did not vote to for shot cancer screening or over the past year to extend three weeks after was successfully shot off. but it isn't about politics but people's lives. i know what it is like to live without health insurance this is what really matters. >> use their right next to each other class month with the unanimous vote to contract in the we knew there could be largely offset the end of the year
10:40 pm
but you did call for the investigation and there has been a big topic but just to date mr. sununu you bought up the fact that child-care receive 50 taos and dollars and made up of this original vote. >> what matters to meet is that was created for the same reason i did that means more doctors and more nurses and more beds available to our most vulnerable population. people at the new hampshire hospital 7,000 enrolled in the last three years mr. there because they have a mental illness and a danger to themselves or others. >> but one of the silver
10:41 pm
linings issue start to break down the state must to bring addiction at of the shadows we need to do that with mental-health my stepfather struggled with mental-health for years and in his final months he was found to be a danger to himself and others at that point he took his own life. the reality is patients and health care professionals and london ones is the reality is they face everyday they need what is right for patients. >> once again he is completely avoiding the question the fact i have been calling for this for months. behalf employee concerns when we had little choice we did move forward with 450 layoffs.
10:42 pm
and i just learned this morning i have $40,000 of contributions going directly from the organization to his office. i wonder why? why is that they are so hesitant to do anything? they have stood on their payments. this is mismanagement at its worst the constituents need the accountability with checks and balances to make sure we're providing a system working for them. they have completely failed on this issue. but they have to catch up and redo any accountability we do need more investigations because it isn't about to us. about the quality of service for mental health patients. >> moderator: for the first six months we had a
10:43 pm
new huge psychiatric care wing that sat unused despite the fact we had dozens of people that had psychiatric conditions waiting all across the state every single day. thirty or 50 per day. the problem is taken not find the staff to fill that the we hired more doctors and more nurses those beds are now full and the fact is remember a one month ago he voted to move forward with this because it does mean better care but that would mean less doctors or less nurses i will not let those attacks stand in the way. >> the commissioner and the governor in yourself did not provide more choices. choices are always a good thing for the people of new hampshire. that is what i want for
10:44 pm
every contract that we have. to spend $40,000 is the questions of ethics and morality and checks and balances. i say absolutely not to this is new hampshire not like washington but the big ugly political attacks pecans pain finance reform -- campaign finance reform. >> i will not in gauge it counselor sununu john vessey has tens of thousands of dollars from his lobbyist votes but when he runs against every solar energy he said reed did not want to penalize the electric utility but he lobbied for those public affairs firm he wrote in favor of their plan. almost chapter and verse.
10:45 pm
>> my brothers are not lobbyists. if you give a power line to the mental health and our state of $40,000 that is deplorable. >> moderator: we have a lot of issues we want to get to but we have one more political question we have never seen a presidential election like we have before so there is some big news with a derogatory remarks towards women from the republican candidate. >> recalled the repugnant and disgusting. >> they are. we continue to support donald trump but what about the comments class limit the comments are discussing in repulse of the replace for the attitude like that in the public discourse i have said that for our day one even other comments i only
10:46 pm
said i will support the nominee and i will but if you look at the options this is not about one person it is our country and where we will go the next eight years. hillary clinton has none of that i think public trust is the important aspect she has none of that. looking at but we will do over the next four or eight years looking at the potential of the supreme court those policies set bail the country with a big washington spending. to invade our local control. that is what will affect people's lives as individuals. always remember policy over people. pdf. >> this is simple he has failed the of leadership
10:47 pm
test every single day he continues to support donald trump with the entire religions and nationalities and the democracy itself what is more important to him is political parties. was more important than the people of our country with his own political career. so that base is the of backbone of the 31 republican governors one out of three said their loss support donald trump. so the fact that chris will not fight for the people of the country over politics shows the governor he will be for overstate. >> this is about average country. with anything he does not define the republican we know that. hillary clinton is the epitome of the democratic party.
10:48 pm
look at what she has done without answering question with benghazi and e-mail sandal list goes on and on and on and has violated the public's trust. but to save a defiance that party we know it is a foolish statement we will provide the best government possible and i believe 22 push back on washington. you need a governor that will stand true to our values. >> that is only because politicians stick with them even after everything he says. >> moderator: now does get to other issues. >> today the governor and the executive council approved a $600,000 of contracts for recovery services. but more people are expected to die this year than last year. can we spend our way out of this problem and do think
10:49 pm
that fewer people will die? >> we have to overcome this. we can only spend or rest our way out we have to be honest that five years ago we did not have a crisis now we have the second highest levels of prescriptions in the country and so i suggest we need to put forward a plan with more investments in recovery services i support the bipartisan expansion to medicaid with that non-profit nonpartisan group that was dedicated to tackling the crisis i have a plan that i endorse what of the key points is to make medicaid expansion port one negative permanent we often need better treatment in our schools and to make sure that those of private
10:50 pm
insurance that the law-enforcement is on the front lines. >> it is a crisis of a proportions. by a program i have a fifth grader and a sixth grader. i know starting in the fifth grade they start to be aggressive in need to bring in the parents of a have the tools and resources available to them. we are drastically lower we have a wonderful new center with pregnant women dealing with substance abuse. finally we need to get tough . that is what they're doing.
10:51 pm
drug dealers have to be taking a test. these little pills that could kill a child they need to be doing seven or 15 years not those two years they are getting that is what will keep the kids safe in moving forward prompted. >> moderator: another crisis question what about those in recovery how do they get back into the workforce? sununu: the quick answer is we are not doing enough unfortunately we don't have enough recovery centers and beds for spoke to a young woman a 25 year-old permit there was watching and she was on page 20 of 28 and told me she was starting to get it better all the focus
10:52 pm
was to make sure she got a car when she got out of the program berger she abandoned her friends my program one looks at providing a business tax credit for those who invest in job training. always dealing with substance abuse and to have that process over the years. >> we have to overcome this problem the late king that she spends her weekends at the jail counseling other women for those on the first
10:53 pm
day that we all have family members and friends and co-workers and loved ones for those with the experience that they have been as part of that tool set. >> there is a lot more to come with that debate to the health care crisis we will be right back. >> moderator: back to the
10:54 pm
of the gubernatorial debate talking about the open your aid epidemic talk about legalizing marijuana the critics have said it is a gateway drug in rio in the middle of a crisis sundews support d criminalizing marijuana? >>. van ostern: i do believe new hampshire should join every other state and to detail their entire life. but we have an important statewide initiative right now in some areas and that is the direction for minor offenses like possession of marijuana.
10:55 pm
>> this is one area where we agree i do support deep criminalizing that brings it more in-line with the crimes but do we support the full legalization or recreation? at all believe we are ready to take that step as we go through the initial phases of medical marijuana with accountability and checks and balances with the full legalization even massachusetts may go that route fairly soon. i don't think we are ready to take that step but to decriminalized yes. >> talking health care the obama administration confirmed premiums they would go up we would have to 22% in 2017 tonight we have
10:56 pm
a question that she wants to know where do support the allies of health care providers to publish prices put. >> that is always on the most important facets of competition with health care. obamacare is a failure. with the rates through the roof that was 8,000 h. document with uh negative implications and with 800 employees may add to manage ours. but we causally manage the dynamics of agribusiness.
10:57 pm
so that should do the job of one if you hire two people. even the state of new hampshire has 2,000 employees down to 29 hours or less that is a bomb assault. with that burden some legislation even bill clinton said it was a failed program. >> and here's some weekend due to do that. there is as great website and they have a number of procedures to check out quality ratings and cost with different health care providers.
10:58 pm
mitt that bipartisan expansion despite the fact had bipartisan support but that state that did expand medicaid they're showing up uninsured that the cost is passed on to the rest of us but premiums were not rising at a much slower rate. >> be clear. you cannot control the cost 70 vows and are still uninsured. prices have gone through the roof. pdf so today versus five or six years ago.
10:59 pm
it is all in a the pocketbook it is affecting the quality of health care. and then to push back on those programs. >> when it comes to a medicaid expansion counselor sununu would you support or look for different options? >> i always said that if we take steps to expand medicaid we should do that. as those with substance-abuse issues to make it permanent means we lose all control. so what were substance-abuse issues. with some giant homogenized
11:00 pm
program we have no control over a one to take the best parts of that program with the waste in the bureaucracy so over time we can reversals to be more sustainable. once to make them make the decisions we have local control matters. >> we sat next to each other the last four years at the executive table when republicans and democrats were working together to find a bipartisan solution to bring health care coverage to 50,000 people without raising taxes including those with a deduction -- with addiction he said he could to prevent that from coming aboard he voted against bringing the legislature back to recession and even in this campaign said he wants to
11:01 pm
repeal that is wrong for the people of their hampshire. >> a single $292 million contract to expand as part of the medicaid waiver because it is only a couple of hours before the meeting. i wanted to read and i will not vote for anything if we don't get to read it or if the people don't get to read it. so a goes online people can have input so why in this context was it accepted at the table just because we were handed it? we probably should have gone forward by one not sign the peace of legislation of masai be dispersed that is the washington way i think we need accountability and checks and balances. >> talking inaudible size of his mouth is friends are right thing thousands of dollars of attack ads
11:02 pm
against one votes i made if one other voted the way he did 50,000 fewer people would have health care blair people have addiction treatment services but he was repeatedly voting against the executive council the only tells thereto oppose asking the legislation he voted against repeatedly and said he wants to repeal it. >> there is no way it could have taken it up so to push forward by the governor. i voted for three of the amendments the fourth one i simply wanted to read congress wouldn't rubber-stamp to say i don't care if we don't have the chance we need to move forward because the governor said so. that is never the right way. sometimes to push back.
11:03 pm
>> we deal -- we need to move forward we could debate on this all night long but we have a lot to get to. we have questions over medical leave. here is one of the questions would you support it if you were in the corner office? >> the broader issue that don't have the flexibility or the time andrea have to find ways to support them. and the ability to have child-care. into support those families
11:04 pm
been to open in those stores for families and even opportunities i am of big believer. >> wade need to make sure everyone has choices. oh what the families don't have the ability of where their child might go to school. because they would allow parents to make the best choice. local control. >> every worker should have the upper jeopardy to earn paid leave right now are minimum-wage is the lowest in the nation in fact, we will never compete with texas to have the cheapest labor we need to compete on low taxes. to say we should not have the state minimum wage at all i know that we need the
11:05 pm
one we need to raise it and do more to assure that every family has the opportunity to participate in our economy. >> ip clear in our state we have highest per-capita income in the country that is positive read different to the federal minimum wage it will pick up over time. i have 800 employees those who were just entered but understand this increase is 67 percent of my employees my opponent does not want to take it up $1 or to he is talking $12 hillary clinton is $15. >> that will cost a lot of jobs. >> i will not be the governor where we end up losing jobs. there is no gray area it is a fact. >> i did say we need to raise the minimum wage between where it is now an $12 an hour.
11:06 pm
it also means fewer people who work full time and live off of public assistance living off of minimum-wage is wrong. >> to support the minimum-wage proposed by the retention? >> moderator: we have many more topics stay with us. after a short break. ♪ >> moderator: this is of a gubernatorial debate. >> we continue with the question on the cost of education. it has the highest average along dead in a country of $36,000 up 8% from the europe of four.
11:07 pm
and frere is then in state tuition but what are the plans to make it more affordable? >> edits a great question mark of the potential reasons i running we have to do more to bring these john family and start-ups part of that is bringing down the cost of college. three years ago left the great job to help launch a nonprofit southern new entry university this negative year 4,600 students will be there 71 percent are the first in their family to go to college most get a degree completely without debt. that is not the model for every form of education but they include working much more closely with the private sector using modern innovation to bring down costs. chios sony to make sure we fund the university system
11:08 pm
right now is the lowest in the nation so we need to have real accountability measures are no additional funding means lower student at. >> for short years ago my wife and i finally paid off our student at. it was not easy to hundred $70 and $0.3 every month for 15 years i understand carrying out long-term debt and it is getting worse and worse. live program is tuesday in new hampshire working in bohai demanding job area free will help pay down your debt. i don't believe in free college. when you do that you will erode the quality. also if we give more money into the university system than the first 5 million
11:09 pm
share give a $1,000 tuition reduction. mr. rex savings for the students made the governor that attends the trustee meetings the governor has not attended one meeting in the last four years. they need to be involving get their hands dirty to understand some economic the best decision together. van ostern: i know how it is a unit up criticizing governor hassan but to bring solutions former to drive down cost increase though workforce for i have done this successfully sometimes when you hire someone for a job it is the big job interview you need to hear someone tydeus also see what they have done to make them feel confident lake a workforce development college. into bring college costs
11:10 pm
down. >> moderator: another question about education. is the testing working to support keeping it? sununu: my wife is a special event teacher i am in my wife's classrooms and common core will attended - - intended has eroded control has limited the teacher's ability to provide more individualized education proposal those children that may need more challenge can be jobless today need more help they can have more help but when my son came home over 20 straight days he said prepack is to again for the test practice for the test there is nothing educational practicing for a test that is all and who is practicing the most redo of needed goods standard test but let's make sure it is run by new hampshire teacher is based on new hampshire
11:11 pm
curriculum for the new hampshire kids common core has failed, ionized board of education it does not have our interests in mind. >> we need to decrease reliance on standardized testing increase project based learning the first day in the country is doing this successfully where a handful of school districts across the hampshire will sex fully replace half as classrooms with project based learning half of the tester replaced with in classroom curriculum work designed by local teachers that is a step in the right direction. right now we are holding back from other steps one negative other schools to take that step but also just now a good step to replace the final year of the standardized test helping
11:12 pm
more kids to get onto the college track to strengthen the workforce for those of in the later years of high-school. >> moderator: tumor questions of public education we would like to get through this a little quicker. the three of us understand what do support that and how do you pay for that? >> that is a good question. if you elect me as my governor we will fully fund kindergartner in every community. period is vital and the right thing to do for our kids edward king adults flu and to work my kids just finished kindergarten we're 49 and country of access to early childhood education we can do better.
11:13 pm
most are raised by a single parent or to a parent to work we need the parents to participate in the economy with the kids getting the best education they can. >> i am strong supporter fully funded kindergarten for those that wanted to have to put up their fair share. common core cost hundreds of millions of dollars. we don't have the ability to create our own system. waited governor was apparent and the stakeholder. >> honestly i did not understand that is because the state only pays half the cost i am suggesting as governor if elected fully fund that.
11:14 pm
>> with elementary school is that appropriate place question mark federal bank is up to the politicians is a two-parent said the school board and professional educators. i have a three year-old and a sexual. >> i think we agree. is up to the paris to have that local control this title is not to the politicians to make those personal decisions. >> moderator: now question about guns tonight. to support those laws and make it illegal for domestic users to access guns? >> i believe common sense gun violence prevention is to be consistent with the second amendment that i support exercise as a gun owner myself we have seen there is more we can do we
11:15 pm
need universal background checks also unfortunately trying to erode the public's safety laws that we should end the practice to need a permit of right now we included local law enforcement. >> people know ims sound supporter of the second amendment to support universal background checks but it is a very important question we must be standing up at the local level to protect those that are held that risk. one of the first down for most for standing up for them to another be will support them and every turn. and those that would commit violence to provide those correct background checks
11:16 pm
that is important. >> one of the most popular questions though because the debt then best date as a caregiver to resident and mother who suffer and was to note what did they do to support families affected by the alzheimer's crisis in new hampshire? >> it is very important. it is increasing we are becoming silver and that does face serious issues for those families to have to deal with that condition. imf big believer to provide solid home care services to have nurses and family members. home care services several
11:17 pm
they've received one hombres over the last 10 years? we are drastically underpaid and under servicing those states care family honors so that we can offer the best quality of life all the way through these afflictions. >> it is a great question i have to think of how other carol who came to a house party on sunday in a column posted by a former senator that led health care and she asked the question she is an advocate for alzheimer's but has specific ideas we can do. but allowing people to age and their homes whenever possible it can actually save money with the canadian their homes. twenty to strengthen our workforce as we have a
11:18 pm
serious shortage and also to bring down the cost of college to incentivize the university system in areas like health care because i also know with the attorney general's office to do a better job on cracking down on senior scams to make sure we are looking at '04 hour seniors. >> we have a very serious job this week the state started asking people to take shorter showers if you were governor would do face the stricter fines of those who used to much water by expecting voluntary production sanders directions with negative instructions are the way to
11:19 pm
go redo need drinking water first and realized the drought has had a very serious impact on our farmers in particular those that have seen this up close and personal. that there are voluntary reductions depending on which watershed i think it is the right step right now but we need to continue to monitor the situation. >> i can tell you that water is vital. to those across the state macy drastically low levels in the north country and i do believe local control
11:20 pm
with voluntary programs that they're reducing consumption had been smart and again i am impassioned. for 10 years of was on a construction site cleaning up ground water across this country it is an important issue but we do have a continuation to put people at risk we have experience to have the best quality water coming out of those taps for our kids. >> moderator: energy cost is a big issue as is do support the project as his quick sex 1100 megawatts of clean renewable energy would cost $80 million per year for the state of new hampshire is quality funding i hope goes forward.
11:21 pm
>> there were seven of us to reinforce governor of both sides of the aisle only one candidate wants to write dabbling check to the biggest agility company in the state idol think the current version is viable. >> moderator: it's time for the closing statements. sununu: thanks for being here tonight. is the great state but we can and must better for committees in people and businesses this house every economy i will travel this day and i have listened to the needs bet my experience as an environmental engineer as a business manager to make sure we have the best solution for the people of new hampshire i am passionate fly wife is a special ed teacher my kids are in school i have been in their classroom have to make sure we're restoring local control and parents of the alternate say for their
11:22 pm
kids. there is a share when crisis and needs to be tackled for accountability removing their roadblocks than the recovery area. we can keep going down the path to lose control, i hope for your support on november 8 together we will make that change. van ostern: thanks for being with us this evening. i am running for governor to help our state to keep young people and families and help start-ups in our state. but to get past the old outdated talk about planned parenthood but to support that looking out for that
11:23 pm
young mom who cannot get anywhere else. talk about the investments of those energy projects and repeatedly that is looking in '04 that launcher from your -- that this is under that is working to the state also not the policy that i supported of medicaid expansion also young woman i met who was then addiction recovery today because of that expansion. renee to move our state forward in a bipartisan way always looking over people. >> moderator: bad is it for the gubernatorial debate if you want to watch it again head to the above site. >> the action continues to bar night with the senator debate the to the website to
11:24 pm
give us suggestions. >> moderator: have a goodnight. ♪ tours.
11:25 pm
>> "washington journal" continues. host: john >> author of the book marijuana, with the legalization advocates saye this could be a tipping point with the ballot measure setter on the ballot in five states.
11:26 pm
how likely are they and what could that mean greg. >> the initiatives are very difficult to pass even though support nationally in 60% medical marijuana is 80% but when you actually start messaging with the campaign to get the right people andd the right numbers out to vote so anyone of the initiatives can fail even people that think california is a sure thing are kidding themselves but if all of them pass it is a significant increase of the size of the legal market with a change of public policy for americans.s >> we talked last week about the ballot measures there is some confusion about legalization and decriminalization so could you take us through? connected equalization is subsidies to states have taken around marijuana.
11:27 pm
so was set up spending the night in prison with small amounts like a joint or announced issue be the equivalent of a speeding ticket or a parking ticket you paid the fine and you don't go through the criminal justice process for those that have decriminalized the legalization is different that is where the state begins to regulate the production, processing of marijuana so you have no interaction with the justice system whatsoever. >> and that is on the ballot in five states here is a map from of "boston globe" where those states are where marijuana is already illegal california, nevada, arizona massachusetts there already illegal colorado alaska washington oregon and the
11:28 pm
district of columbia.he where those is already legal talk about where the department of just this is for the state governments in terms of figuring out the regulation process? >> the first to legalize and 2012 then d.c. followed a. as the first to states that was no holding of your breath because nobody knew how the justice department would react. important to remember redo have a federal law called controlled substances act that federal leave rwanda is illegal in all circumstances no question sacked one negative ast but what they have put together a policy fixes long as the state regulates, first after reform the law that regulates the product as long as they don't engage
11:29 pm
like selling to children or engaging with a drug cartel that the federal government will choose not to enforce the law and that jurisdiction, the state to move forward with these policies. >> we're waiting for our callers to call in from the brookings institution. you can start calling and now we will get your calls in just a second so policy caught up with theal legalization efforts in those states. there is no policy right now. in terms of what you are taxed on her product. . .
11:30 pm
ty olsson tax money every year but they also get none of the benefits that the system of important business. >> host: what are some of the benefits of say for the sellers and growers here in washington, d.c.?hi >> guest: washington, d.c. is an interesting case. we don't have a regulated market because they didn't set up a market in a regulated system although that does exist on the
11:31 pm
medical marijuana side. if the business expands in research and development those are typically tax write-offs. that is not allowed for a marijuana business and creates serious tax burdens that this industry and these companies that the federal government otherwise says it's okay to operate. >> host: republicans 7,287,478,001, independents 2,027,488,002. should note for other states besides the ones we talked about were having ballot measures related to medical marijuana. 25 states already have fullrijun medical marijuana programs and the one thing you notice that controls the supply of marijuana for research for this program. explain why that is. >> guest: unde >> guest: under our system, we are creating federal policy
11:32 pm
around the drugs but also tries to comply with our treaty obligations, specifically the one is the single convention. it requires the member nations of which the united states is one strictly controls the supply of marijuana used in research si what the federal government has done is set up a production facility at the university ofth mississippi that supplies all researchers in the united stated with research grade marijuana. they since relaxed to the requirement that there would only be one source. but until that policy is carried out, the only research grade marijuana that you can get is from ole ms.. >> host: a couple comments- from twitter. funny how when i was 15 i thought it should be legalized but now it is destructive nature. one that came in on the issue of medical marijuana. in the states that have
11:33 pm
legalized marijuana what has happened to prison overcrowding in those states? >> guest: what we know is in colorado and washington in marijuana arrestthatmarijuana at it for simple possession and things like that. exist arrest still exists of course. but the numbers are dropping. it's important to remember moste basic marijuana arrests in this country do not result in prison time. some do but most do not do the impact on the prison population might not be significant that thbut theindividuals actually bg arrested having a criminal record trying to apply for jobs later that should have a significant impact. >> host: john is up first in court in california on the line for democrats. >> caller: i am a 28-year-oldldd man, and i have multipleul sclerosis and glaucoma.
11:34 pm
those are the only two conditions proving to be helpedu with the use of marijuana. if i go to florida, they still won't let me use it even though it's supposed to be legal for me to go there. it literally is affecting my health that i can't do this because for multiple sclerosis, the drugs they give you for the spasms are not as effective as marijuana and its despicable but this is affecting my health and people like hillary clinton wane to lock me up for it. >> guest: there's a coupless issues to tackle. first is one that a lot of patients that use medical marijuana face on a daily basiso and that is not just access to the product that they swear by having therapeutic benefits, but their ability to bring that where they go. if you have a prescription pharmaceutical for anything
11:35 pm
else, for ms, glaucoma and live in california and want to travel to florida, you can bring your prescription with you on a plane come in a car, whatever. but because of the federal policy, you can't. as soon as you leave your state you are breaking federal andte w state law. for this interesting access issue is one that marijuana reform community is veryy tirelessly arguing needs to be addressed by the congress. second is on the plaintiff ofon the presidential candidates in this race. one of the most fascinating parts about the election is the change in rhetoric on marijuana. hillary clinton and donald trump both argued they support the states reforming medical marijuana laws and i think if you look back one or two election cycles, that is pretty dramatic compared to the previous presidential candidates have said and suggest while you may be in a difficult position
11:36 pm
now, the future may change and hold more reform. >> host: and dozie bush are city louisiana, republican. go ahead. >> caller: hello, how are you doing? what i would like to make a comment about is the fact that i've had three shoulder surgeries and have chronic pain and pain medication is hard to get in louisiana. but i would like to know is if medical marijuana is legalized in louisiana, are there certain walls that will govern, what kind of illness or pain it would have, will that determine if you can qualify to get it quick? >> guest: each state that passes reform have what they call a list of qualifying conditions.
11:37 pm
they are the elements or the diseases that you can have that qualify you to access the market to get this product. as the previous caller noted having multiple sclerosis andic glaucoma, those are qualifying conditions across the state. you are talking about chronic pain. h some states do have a provision if you have chronic pain you can get access. other states are hesitant toyi include that as a qualifying condition for the fear that it could be abused in the same way that opioid prescriptions are abused. i will say that several states have chronic ailments generally give you access but it depends entirely on how louisiana craft their laws and legislation to understand whether that would be a qualifying condition. >> host: louisiana not a state with medical marijuana on the ballot measure this time aroundt
11:38 pm
here is a map from mikethe red news.com. the red are the states where marijuana is not legal and there is no medical marijuana law in yellow there is medical marijuana and agreeing where there's currently legal. as we said, five states could d. turn green on the election date. maine, arizona, nevada, california. : scott, go ahead. >> caller: yes. good morning. i've been an advocate for the legalization of marijuana and i'm surprised that we are up to where we are today. but i would like to take it onee step further. we should be running our vehicles off of this fuel. these plants could be turning out photosynthesis to purify the
11:39 pm
polluted air that we have with all of the man-made industrial strength out there.there. we have 50 years, and 5 i am 53-years-old, so my lifetime [inaudible] we've got to put a plant here. it has more energy than any other plant we could bee harvesting, we could be running fuel, we could be running marijuana fuel in our diesel motors -- first week off your plate and we want to let sean talk about some of the other uses. >> guest: scott brings up a good point, and that is that there is a hemp movement in the country that wants to get back to what are the roots of the united states, which is using hemp for a diverse number of purposes. hemp oil can be used for food and women and paper, a variety of things and in my new book,
11:40 pm
"marijuana a short history," i profiled the users over time and it's interesting when you look back, the virginia colony for instance where the projection of hemp was required in many early american farmers were producing hemp and significant amounts including george washington and thomas jefferson, because it is such a diverse product that has so many uses. >> host: george says he legalized marijuana will not delete the illegal sale. your thoughts on what legalization will do to the illegal sales? >> guest: this is one of the key point on this issue. one of the key points of the debate. that is currently black-market marijuana exists everywhere. it's easy to access and anyone who thinks it is not in your owe neighborhood is really fooling themselves. but when you set up a legal
11:41 pm
system people wanting access and feel comfortable with and appreciate the product they are getting from it it has to displace part of the market. the legalization won't get rid of it entirely, but it will certainly make inroads if it is regulated properly. if the state is producing it, manufacturers are producing up to the quality standards of the consumer and as long as the the price point is competitive in re market. >> host: orange virginia is next. catherine ikatherine is a democ. >> caller: hello, how are you. it sounds like the previous call touched on what i had anyway. i'm wondering about the medical community involvement. whether their hands were tied or if the government whether it be federal or state, i am not sure which one is ticking on this. but i just want to know wherean
11:42 pm
the medical community stands, what their opinions are and how far they want to take this if they can't go any further than that research and development. >> guest: the medical community tends to be a more conservative institution and one that for decades has been trained and raised to believe that it is illegal and harmfulg and addicting and bad in all cases. if it is and true universally but it's what has been taught at medical schools for some time. so changing that culture in the community will take time and has been a slow process. what you do see is more interest among doctors i and reading morn research on this and there is a worry among doctors and managed care facilities and among hospitals about what the implications will be if they begin to recommend marijuana for patients. that has led many to avoid it
11:43 pm
entirely. it's important to remember no doctor in the united states cant prescribe marijuana because it is a controlled substance and it is banned. but it can make a recommendation that argues that their patient t make its therapeutic valumay gem it. that exists because of laws thad affect doctors and worry or restrict doctors from behaving in certain ways around this policy. >> host: you talk about marijuana being a schedule oneg substance. what does it take to reschedule something like marijuana? >> guest: it happens in one of two ways. either congress passes a law and says it is now under a different schedule that seems easy but congress passing laws isn't an easy process, or there is an administrative process that begins at the department ofes a justice and the department of justice doesn't review as does the food and drug administration. they make recommendations to the attorney general and the attorney general can decide
11:44 pm
whether or not to reschedule the drug or keep the drug where it is. there was a recent petition that was ruled on by the attorney general in august and she optede to keep marijuana as a schedule one substance.three >> host: so then it would be by the white house i assume? >> guest: the white house would sign off on something as political as this. but even if the attorney general said tomorrow or on the next petition yes we will reschedule it from one to two, or two to three, that would begin a standard rule-making regulatoryy process that often takes time and involves the white house ani public notice and comment, and it's not a quick process. >> host: a process we've talked about several times. the gene is in park ridge illinois. >> guest:ou >> caller: good morning. i appreciate your position that
11:45 pm
i can't agree with you speaking from retired law-enforcement side. i am concerned about public safety when you have people going into these games that are smoking and then get behind the wheel. right now here in chicago we have three major hispanic gangs fighting for the drug turf. i understand what is going on between the teams. we have to corral this.go you present a good case and i appreciate that. for medical use, fine if that helps someone at home but you can't just walk out onto the highway after you've smoked a joint. i arrested a lot of people, and i seen people get addicted and it's a gateway drug i'm sorry to
11:46 pm
say. and you have a tough fight on your hands and i appreciate the position. >> guest: first i don't have a a fight on my hands. i'm not an advocate and i don't exist in the advocacy community. i do policy research, and i will tell you what it shows. the shows first exactly what you're talking about in places where it is illegal, you have people committing crimes and doing bad things. and legalization doesn't cause death. it alreadthat. it already exists in chicago and among the community of people you've told us you arrested.wh what legalization does this tries to regulate the illegal market in ways that they can try to corral public behavior towards the outcome the public wants. that is the goal of the reformem community. whether it works or not perhaps the jury is out though some would argue it is not. what we do know is absolute
11:47 pm
prohibition creates things like driving under the influence of marijuana. the spurs drug cartels and it does a lot of other things that you are worried about. the one thing i do have to correct one is the idea thatug marijuana is a gateway drug. that has been proved absolutely false. it's not something chemical orm biological.an it has nothing to do with the plant. it has to do with the black market. when an individual is going to access marijuana, he's also being exposed to other harder drugs. the drug dealers have an interesting and useful hard bargaining way to drive someone away from marijuana, living in a much lower profit margins worths something more addictive and harder and with a much higher profit margin. the social effect is the gateway
tv-commercial
11:48 pm
effect, not the drug itself. if you start selling marijuana off the streets and in control dispensaries where you only have access to one product, that should resolve the gateway effect. it is constantly perpetuated in the country. >> host: i want to play one of the ads running in massachusetts right now about the marijuana legalization effort. it is the question and this isou an ad from one of the groups opposing the legalization. scenic it would allow thousands of pop shops and marijuana operators throughout massachusetts and neighborhoods like yours the shops that sell edibles click candy and high potency marijuana. in these states incidence of driving and crashes -- more than starbucks and mcdonald's combined. combined. hi airport tcombined. hi airport to become a dangerous drivers. it's the reason health officials are urging you tong vote no.
11:49 pm
>> host: what is your read on that ad? >> guest: is the first timen i've seen that ad. it touches on a lot of the issues opponents of the marijuana legalization are concerned about and that is where our the marijuana dispensaries located, how manyny of them there are, the type of products they are producing. what i can tell you is there are in every one of the initiatives we have currently there are local provisions that allow the zoning to determine often times how many shops there are, where they are located, what they are located next to. they tried to move them away from churches and schools and parks and playgrounds and things like that. there is another effort in the movement to change the type of edible products that can be sold so they don't have as much appeal to children.. this is a real concern.t people don't want marijuana to
tv-commercial
11:50 pm
look like candy or something appealing to kids. i think that arabs showed an and open storefront which in most cases is illegal because you can't actually see the marijuana products through a window, so that is an issue, but even ifen you were leaving something out on a table or you have something in your home, that is a concern a lot of people have. if that is consumer regulation -- >> host: one of the different groups supporting the question in massachusetts, here it is. >> all my training is to do everything to cure patients at l the current marijuana laws need changing. right now, doctors and patients are afraid to bring up all treatment options for fear of breaking the law. yes, we can regulate, tax and legalize marijuana to help people with pain avoid opioidss. and for others medical needs. the current system isn't working. it's what doctors and patients
11:51 pm
agree, it's time to vote yes on four. >> host: choosing to focus on the medical side of this would be for recreational use as well. >> guest: that's an interesting as well. massachusetts already has a medical marijuana program in place and patients who have qualifying conditions can access it already have that ability. it's true some doctors are concerned about it in some patients will have doctors who will not give that recommendation. also, there are some patients who have conditions they want to use marijuana for but the state doesn't qualify. generally, question number four is about recreational marijuanas it's not about granting access to patients. this is a doctor who feels there is still a medical need for this but most residents of massachusetts are thinking about hois in different ways. >> host: euclid ohio, allen is a republican. good morning. >> caller: good morning.
11:52 pm
yes, my opinion is marijuana, the government shouldn't even define it, it should just bech legal but chocolate chip cooki cookies. me and my wife and smoke have st for years and raised two children successfully, in catholic school and one is a police van.ot the policemen that cold and i don't think anybody should get behind the wheel if they drink or smoke but it makes them more attentive to detail of driving, so the policemen called up before was wrong. it just depends on the person. but a lot of these scare statistics i don't buy into so i don't respect or recognize the walls and i don't care if they ever become legal we just don't care.do we are going to do what we want to do. >> host: >> guest: allen has a position that some americans believe inha as well, and that is that the government has no business regulating marijuana. marijuana. marijuana.
11:53 pm
the plans come as one of the previous calls said, god has given us a lot of plants of course thaplans ofcourse that wt that is certainly a perspectivee that exists. most americans however that are comfortable with marijuana legalization or are willing to give legalization a shot want it heavily regulated. the caller discusses wanting it not regulated in the same way chocolate chip cookies are. the reality is chocolate chip cookies are actually pretty heavily regulated when you think about the week and at the very back of into making those into the food safetin thefood safetyt and the production of it so it's important to remember most consumer goods or really any consumer good in the united andd states is regulated to some extent. marijuana tends to be a little bit heavier. >> host: a democratic called that morning. >> caller: i have a question for you. i am in a divorced family,
11:54 pm
between my ex wife and i., she's married and both she and her husband smoked marijuana regularly. they are big advocates on marijuana.a. she is a nurse in fact, and i think that is wrong as well jeopardizing her job. besides that, the most important thing to me is the fact i have a 12-year-old son with her. we have issues for custody she's in charge of him now due to the way the courts view it. we just went to court and they didn't care one bit in the district of columbia about marijuana use. she states as far back as dc's change she claims it's for. stress and the bottom line is my son is very heavily affected by it. i want to know what kind of regulations might come out of
11:55 pm
this in the future. we are in a position where ia found [inaudible] and this is real. this is how it is affecting children. i am all for letting them have recreational marijuana but with children it's a whole other ball park. >> guest: it would be inappropriate for me to comment on a specific custody case. but there are broad policy implications discussed in theisd call.ca one is whether a custody dispute can result in an action that negatively affects a medical marijuana user just by virtue of them using medical marijuana. r marijuana. a lot of states have argued in the past regulations as part ofs the reform provisions that
11:56 pm
protect parents who also happen to be miracle to beat the medical marijuana users from the states coming in and taking their children. in a state where marijuana is illegal, the state can do that. that protection though is not absolute. if a child's welfare is in danger because of the use of medical marijuana in the same way that it would be for alcohol or opioids over any type of prescription pharmaceutical, the state still has the right to go in and enforce laws that protect child welfare. so, i think the caller's point is one that is obviously emotionally important to him, but it's important not to conflate two things, and that is simply the use of medical marijuana for the medical value. and the endangerment of childe welfare.er those two things can be very different and very distinct even though surely there are situations in which marijuana being used in a home does create
11:57 pm
situations that can be dangerous for children but it's not true:o commvery marijuana use. >> caller: i have a comment about the issue of marijuana generally. it seems to me that there is a stigma attached to marijuana, especially medical marijuana, one of them being cultural and the other being economic. culturally speaking, you know, we have alcohol which is of course a drug that everybody in this country tends to partake and if you talk about family issues and issues related to
11:58 pm
that, obviously alcohol plays a huge role in that. but also very important, thetedo issue related to pharmaceutical companies and me be your guest will want to touch on this but there's been a lot of information and studies that came out about opioid abuse as well as the overuse and overprescription of opioids for pain killers. it seems very clear it is a profit motive situation where you have a lot of these companies that would prepare doctors to prescribe these type of drugs. maybe just from personal experience when i was younger
11:59 pm
like many other people i had my wisdom teeth taken out and what was i prescribed, oxycontin orr some kind of derivative of the outcome of some kinthat,some ki. as for what all of my other friends got, and what does it do, a lot of people start selling it in schools. that is just what's happening. >> guest: i will touch on the first point in particular about the cultural issues that surround marijuana legalization. i've written in my book tracing this path of cultural indoctrination in the country about which marijuana is, and it creates this misinformation about how often marijuana acomes a substance abuse disorder, how often it is viewed as a gateway drug, and part of it has to do with the governments messaging overug
12:00 am
decades about the drug.ience most people who use use the drus experience it in some way don't have experiences that match what the government has been saying so that creates this disinformation for the average voter and it makes people more curious and think about reform in a more serious way. but cultural pressure exists in the public end of the medical al community and a variety of areas but what is most interesting is the change we have seen in public opinion over the last 20 years. support nationally is that about 60%. in the 1980s that was under 20% so while there are those cultural biases that exist against marijuana, there is a large number of people in this country that are pushing back against those

44 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on