Skip to main content

tv   It Takes a Village Roundtable  CSPAN  November 6, 2016 7:30pm-9:01pm EST

7:30 pm
particularly awesome or exceptional about my classmates. let's go back to where we started. is this a campaign playbook? >> i think it can be seen as such. there have been lots of books that have been written or cowritten for him and they've all added up to be a playbook for 2016. >> i would say definitively yes. i think it is classic donald trump and i think the elements of the deal are the elements of the campaign thank you for being on this roundtable on book tv. >> thank you. >> there has been no experience more challenging, more rewarding , and more humbling than raising our daughter and we
7:31 pm
have learned that to raise a happy, healthy and hopeful child, it takes a family. it takes teachers and clergy. it takes business people and community leaders and those who protect our health and safety. it takes all of us. [applause] it takes a village. >> when hillary clinton uses the term it takes a village, who do
7:32 pm
you think she means? >> she means, she starts with the family. to raise a child you need a family but she quickly moves on and talks about a network of people and institutions of value. teachers, neighbors, businesses, employers, even the course politicians as you see here in the clip, she is saying to raise a child you need a village and you need a president and you need bill clinton. >> i am hearing a strong message of what she is trying to put out this is her strong this message, she's had had quite a few of them but this is where she is trying to send her message and say we are all in this together.
7:33 pm
it was interesting to see what she had to say back then. >> has it? >> it has had its inconsistencies along the way. it's consistent on one level but it's a little bit archaic and very much the '90s in another sense. >> what does hillary clinton mean when she says it takes a village. >> she saying i'm not as crazy as you think i am purchased coming in the '90s and people are looking at her as the one, they're not sure of bill clinton's interest. he's a democrat but he's trying to update things and i don't know where hillary fits in paired this is after the failure of the health care reform in 1996 and her failure attempt to be one of the vice president. she is saying i'm one of you and yes i have liberal views and cultural sensitivity.
7:34 pm
she gives us beach about three pillars. she talks about capitalism and the free market, she talks about government and she talks about family and home. capitalism was. [inaudible] at the time. >> three weeks after it was published is when bill clinton gave the famous the era of big government is over speech. it was a big moment to declare, as she did in this book, i'm am moderate. >> she did have to reintroduce herself because she is in the thick of this healthcare fight and people had strong opinions of her.
7:35 pm
>> she was traumatized. she had been severed ducted over the healthcare tobacco and she wanted to say that she could really be a first lady. what's amazing is you see a cliché being born. 198393 and 94, it takes a village, this was hillary's branding and it's her gift to the american people in her attempt to say that i'm important but also we can have this conversation together. >> she comes back to it takes a village when she launched her 08 campaign and her 2016 campaign. she came back to it this year after her brooklyn speech and people can almost finish the sentence for her now.
7:36 pm
let's take a look at at her june 2015 presidential announcement. >> they don't have what it takes to build and inclusive economy. it takes an inclusive society. [applause] what i once called a village that has a place for everyone my values and lifetime of experiences have given me a different vision of america. i believe success isn't measured by how much the wealthiest americans have, but how many children climb out of poverty.
7:37 pm
>> a recent review of it takes a village, you wrote it takes a village often becomes code for it takes washington. >> yes. she spends a lot of time talking about the experiences and successes of a small nonprofit groups, of local initiatives, but she very much comes back to, so you need the family medical leave act, the crime bill, the vaccination initiatives. she's trying to thread the needle because she's not going to give up were ceased to praise the successes, as as she sees them, but the clinton administration has had or was pushing at the time. she tries to localize them when possible.
7:38 pm
you see a lot of praise for what they call big government big washington initiatives including some that have come back to bite her in this campaign. >> i think what she is doing is inviting academia, the private sector in, this is something the clintons do all the time. we see it in everything they have done throughout history. this is something that they do with the foundation. they believe in bringing everyone together. they don't think, they think everybody can come together and form the solutions for this is an interesting idea of a continuation of what they believe in. they're saying families are good, divorce is bad. prolonged time, that was conservative talk.
7:39 pm
we are people who value family. one of the things you also see in this clip is the difficulty of being hillary. she is trying to assert herself and find her identity and in many ways, people are staying who are you. on one hand she's the most famous woman in the world. she is hillary. she doesn't even need a last name, but on the other hand she is constantly adjusting and changing and people don't trust that. it's a strange thing because when bill clinton reinvents himself, it's like okay, you do it all time. the time. when hillary clinton does, it's a problem. >> then it becomes the likability question which i've written about countless times during this election cycle, why isn't she likable. she kind of hit on that last week in a speech where she said people don't trust her, she acknowledges acknowledges this and she's aiming to gain that trust back but i think it's one of the biggest questions that looms over her candidacy. why can't she quite get there.
7:40 pm
why isn't she likable enough. that is something she constantly has to sort of work toward. >> likability and trustworthiness. i think if you did a soul scan, you would find a pure pure soul than hillary clinton. i think she has a harder time. i think that makes it very difficult for her to be a politician. as a result she's always conveying this discomfort with being there. her honesty makes her seem less trustworthy. >> i think donald trump, this is a woman who strongly believes in wesleyan principles and that she is a public servant and she is in this to do good and that something that when donald trump questions her faith, you don't have to look too far to see
7:41 pm
where the origins of that are. >> she makes a big deal in her book and subsequent memoirs, especially in in living history, she talks a lot about the influence at her church had on her, particularly when she was young. there is a sense and a constant attempt of redefinition. in the 92 campaign there is that famous incident where people, she was the first first lady who had a graduate degree, the yelp law degree and she's talking about being a professional. she said i could've stayed home and made cookies and had tea parties, but i chose to exercise my professional capabilities long before my husband was in public life. she made this big statement. it takes a village, she sort of apologizes for it. not entirely, but she says, she calls it the teacup in attempt us and she said yes, i've made
7:42 pm
my share of cookies and i've served hundreds of cups of tea, but i should be judged by my cookie making ortiz irving abilities. she says what she didn't realize, at the time when she made those statement was that people would interpret them as judgments on their own life choices. throughout that, you see this effort at reinvention which sometimes comes across a little defensive. >> she has a fear of making trouble. first do no harm. she comes in and you can even see some of her signature stories are sanitized in that book. she loves to tell the story about being a kid in the neighborhood with some bullies and she came running into her mama and mama clinton said get out, i'm not letting you back in until you deal with this. she said i dealt with it.
7:43 pm
the story she tells is i went. in the book she wants to be calm are more cautious and as a result i think there is a certain tragedy in that book about who she really is as oue shdidn'tant to offend iraq the vote. >> if someone he picked up the 1996 it takes a village, with a recognize and know hillary clinton? >> parts of it. i think a lot of it is very mucd the pillars are there, but parts of it are a little bit murkier. i think a lot of that is just society has changed in some of what she is saying applies to the 1990s in a very big way, but there are things, obviously she mentions her faith a lot. she mentions family and little glimpses where she talks about divorce and how she had to bite
7:44 pm
her lip a little bit to sort of keep their marriage together. that might strike people, reading it today as if you're in an uncomfortable situation, why not leave it and there's all these other things that seem very 20 years ago, and maybe she would have a different take now on that sort of societal pressure. >> and she judges people who get divorced in this very direct way, she says, sometimes it just means going and so she holds up the relationship that she and bill have, this is of course before the big scandals of the late 1990s as saying we found ways to work together and the fact that we had chelsea deepened that commitment.
7:45 pm
>> there is intense cultural critique of what america has become. she has a strong sense of nostalgia from the 50s, the father knows best world that she grew up in and she's looking at america and she tries this in 1993, she had given a series of speeches and now she tries to make it a little bit calmer and masticated but there's a sense that there is something going on in the country that's wrong and she even quotes chipper gore and the backlash against hollywood and the backlash against the music videos and the recording industry and she's fighting crime and she's for welfare reform and i think we have to be sensitive to that and be sympathetic to her because you have to look at what's going on in the 1990s. the 1990s, bill clinton says americans are filling like they're living in a fun house and they are on unnerved by it. crime is off the charts.
7:46 pm
welfare is a problem, not just for whites by african-americans. two thirds of african-americans support the welfare bill and the crime bill. there is something wrong in this country and we've got to fix it. the reagan administration didn't do enough. we have to take democratic ideas and values and synthesize them with some conservative values and culture and fix this world. >> it is not surprising that hillary clinton wrote in 1996 that there is a yearning for the good old days as refugees from the problem of the present, but by turning away, we blind ourselves to the continuing of all presence of the village in our lives and it's critical importance for how we live together. >> she talks about the nostalgia merchants. they're saying look, were were not going to go back to this world are at first of all, it wasn't that. second of all, the world has changed. at the same time, she criticizes the kids today, for not recognizing the sacrifices and
7:47 pm
the advancements of their elders, i.e. hillary clinton and her generation that entered the workforce, that transformed the role of women and she feels a little hurt it seems in the book that people don't remember that. they take those answers for granted so she dings the nostalgia merchants, but at the same time, she wishes there were a little bit more nostalgic about what she accomplished. >> i was particularly struck by, she talks about this idea of a nuclear family, and then you pause that for a minute and you look at her announcement video last year and it's this very progressive look at a single mom who has to do her best and a gay couple and, if you would have talked to hillary clinton about what she wrote back then, about a nuclear family, i think as a single mom, we've moved a lot. there are a families and single
7:48 pm
parents and that doesn't mean your kid is going to be any less successful. i would like to know, looking back if she has any ideas and if she has evolved in the way politicians view it back then. >> in reality, our pack past was not so picture-perfect. african-american children who grew up in an society or immigrants who struggled to survive and work that was underpaid. ask those who grew up in the picture-perfect houses about the secrets and desperation they sometimes feel. >> she is trying to say, we missed that. , but we also have to acknowledge the citizens. one of the things that's always next to her is the picture of her from the 1970s with the big heavy glasses. she's a brunette, she's not a blonde. she hasn't gone gone from being
7:49 pm
hillary rodham clinton and she's trying to say i'm not that hippie. i'm not that radical but at the same time, we did some good stuff. it's a very, located message, a very subtle message and it's actually something i respect. too often it's right left and in this book she's trying to be a little more subtle. i think one of the challenges she is having right now, in 2008, she thought she could reach out to white males because she was running against the black male. that's not nice to say, but right now i think she's trying to say, okay, when she went super tuesday, she give the speech and a speech and she talks about reaching out to single women and she talks about reaching out. how is she also reaching out to the donald trump voters. i think that will be a challenge to her in the general election because if the election is in place, she has to win in pennsylvania and all those places for the white male voters
7:50 pm
to and that's always been her weak spot. it was problematic when she was first lady and only through the clinton drama through the monaco lewinsky scandal was she able to reach out to them by being the injured wife. then she was able to reach out to them because she was the white, but what happens now, how does she articulate that. i think there's some secrets in this book that could help her define that cultural conservatism that trump is playing too. >> what is one of those secrets? >> one of those secrets is families count. one of those secrets is there was some good times back then. this whole question, donald trump gets up and says i'm going to make america and everybody says great again. hillary clinton says, their silence. then she's trying to play with, were still great. that doesn't work. i think what she wants to do is she wants to find some of the power from the past, show that she also appreciates that but also the synthesis of the goodness of the president because donald trump is all about rejecting today and she
7:51 pm
says no it's good. and the challenge is to sing a new song that says this is going to resonate, a little from the past and a little for the present to create a new future. >> if you were donald trump would you read it takes a village? >> i would. i don't think he will, but gives you a sense of where she was and how far she has come and maybe some inconsistencies in between. i think it gives you a pretty good portrayal of who she was back then and a pillar of who she is. >> if "the art of the deal" is donald trump's foundational document, it, it takes a village is absolutely hillary clinton's, except, unlike art of the deal, it takes a village, you see tension, we see grappling. we see her groping for this synthesis of herself. in art of the deal, trump is trump. he's just sort of a trump your version of himself.
7:52 pm
in this book, hillary is wrestling. in this campaign, she has this famous moment when she is asked, are you a progressive. the answer is yes i'm progressive but i'm a progressive who likes to get things done. what does that suggest? that suggests an mix of ideology and. [inaudible] >> she talks about the famous community organizer. she learned from him but she said i'm not to go down your path i'm going to go to law school because i want to get things done. hill read it for how can done a lot how can anyone pull lessons from this which can help us go forward because i think our major challenge in america right now is that were really good at knocking each other down.
7:53 pm
were good at denigrating and gotcha, but what do we want? what are we searching for? make america great again is not enough. not having an answer is not enough. we need to know who we are. >> i think one of the biggest lessons you can pull about her, she talks about the shovel and what it means and when we were writing our book, i originally wanted wanted to call it the phoenix because she has had these rises and falls and dips and falls and here she is again, she loses loses in 2008, how to shoemaker come back. this sort of gives you a window into her thinking, her father always said how are you going to dig yourself out of this one hillary. she uses that point blank. this speaks to who she is. she wants to make her way back up and she wants to portray herself as this tough fighter and so in that sense, i feel like this is a rare rare insight into who she is. >> she goes on to say that she
7:54 pm
gets this image of needing a shovel and using a shovel to dig herself out and sometimes she has to use a backhoe. >> right. and she's not one who will pull herself up in her bathroom and cry. she's very much a woman who says okay, that's over, looking on, how are we going to move onto the next thing and how are we going to, she doesn't wallow. she's very much looking to the future and so when people around her wallow, she tries to pick them up. >> you have both written books about hillary clinton and you're working on your second. what is that process like? >> that's a very complicated question. i think it's hard to actually find hillary clinton at times. we spent a year on her first book talking to her closest advisers and by the end, i had a bit of a glimpse that we had
7:55 pm
cracked some part of who she was but you're always trying to dig a little deeper and find out who she is and her friends say that she keeps it very tightly held on purpose because she is who she is, she's been been in the spotlight for so long and this is sort of her way of keeping herself almost intact and not revealing that. she's almost afraid to show that side of her. everybody has a story about how she so funny and warm behind-the-scenes and her aides talk about how if an uncle was dying, she was the first to call that uncle or the first to grieve with the aid, but you seldom see that side of her publicly. you see it behind-the-scenes more. she is so afraid to show that hillary clinton on the public stage. >> as a historian, i'm trying to understand, the question i'm always asked his did you interview her. i mike i don't need to interview her because i want to see where
7:56 pm
does she fit into the story of the clinton administration. where does she fit into the story of the 1990s. in some ways, it's easy and hard. the hard hard part is you have so much information. she is such a colorful character in larger-than-life. she is lively and thoughtful. she's insightful. she's controversial. it's difficult because there's so much hatred around hillary clinton. she is so polarizing. and there so tension around her that you have to cut through all the negativity and look at what she has actually done and what's the impact. she has been a really powerful force in the shift. when she was nominated to be vice president, the question is, can, can you be tough enough. as a woman would you be able to press that nuclear button. hillary clinton has pulverized those questions by being tough
7:57 pm
and having the shovel. we don't even ask those questions anymore let alone know that their condescending but her grit and intensity says she can handle that. the toughness is there. >> that was part of the challenge in 2008. they wanted to portray her and didn't want to expose gender or embrace it in a big way, the historical nature of that candidacy, i think if she had done the opposite, you see hear her talk about it and embrace the fact that she would be the first female president so i think this is a big moment for her. i think up until the very end of the 2008 campaign, she struggled with that. she was sitting at her dining room table with two aides wrestling about why she needed to thank all these people, embrace the gender thing and here she is, she's done a 180 this time time around and that's been fascinating to watch.
7:58 pm
>> it's her concession speech. it was such a hit. now, when she clenched the nomination aftercalifornia, she had this video montage introduction to her speech in brooklyn and it was all about the historic gender driven aspect of the campaign. she has come to terms with that very much so in this election. i wanted to pick up on what phil mentioned about this polarizing controversial nature. remember when the book came out, it takes a a village was in the middle of this mess during her book tour. all people wanted to ask her about where the billing records from her arkansas law firm because that was the big controversy.
7:59 pm
the book kind of got lost which seems impossible for the first lady. i think in the first memoir, in living history, she tells a story about after she testifies before grand jury on the building record, one of the jurors approached her with a copy to sign. the juror was dismissed from the trial. :
8:00 pm
bifurcate hmm
8:01 pm
8:02 pm
>> >> but i will never do that kind of stuff. cement you brought this up in does hillary clinton take on gender peen and it takes a village? >> she does that she pushes ideas of equal pay and child-care which is huge for her right now. disparity insightful but they pay a crazy amount of money on child care and i
8:03 pm
have one of them. but they have to make that decision vichy's leave her child in her car all day. but those decisions that and then have to make -- women with the support network but that translates with child-care and equal pay. so if she thinks about politics or running of what she is dropping along the way but i do think that she embraces women spanish used very carefully avoiding the word as the first lady and
8:04 pm
as the first feminist once again she was to show that she is sensitive but she doesn't want to be handcuffed issue runs into a lot of static as she was first lady of arkansas and in the 1992 campaign so you have contempt for anyone who is not so to show love and support for women who are at home and in the workforce. >> i am okay you are okay. note so it isn't the argument it is a statement
8:05 pm
of the earliest the with then the prism of actionable policy. >> something that i could relate to your thinking about your children when york at haul me think about the work they left behind so your heart is always for rent. >> but she does a use that term anymore because somebody said when you juggle you will drop something.
8:06 pm
>> said despite the resurgence it is clear that most americans do not favor radical dismantling of government. >> that is the clinton way. gcs we learn lessons by overdoing it that every single problem has a government solution but we cannot go the way from the 1990's he is a powerful negative force to say we are not rush limbaugh. is india's set in a way that is smart and balanced and
8:07 pm
did not context q of the american thought about government for what government has done with this long standing skepticism she says most of us would say we are middle-of-the-road which is fascinating machine has been pushed hard to the left. >> and she supports capitalism spanish she has to walk a fine line this election cycle and people tried to paint her as pearl wall street but less than the general alexian - -
8:08 pm
election but what does she claimed to cater to the of bernie sanders supporters? that is something they want to appear. >> and times of profound overwhelming social change however extreme views hold out the appeal by ignoring the complexity of our circumstances the offer and a scapegoat to have a pass play from the cold war. is the pertinent today? [laughter] >> we see the moderate dilemma. hotline not come across as a prick? so talk about gratitude towards government. tip o'neill a good irish
8:09 pm
catholic liberal democrat you thought world war ii. because we have government. the did isn't simply from juggling. but is also deeply committed to the core values. but then that leads to the trustworthiness question. >> defined her core in the book? >> i think she views it that way she wrote in a
8:10 pm
subsequent memo i want people to see what a truly believe and telling us it is the set of core values. but this whole x-ray that they talking about. but this is as close as we are likely to get to the real hillary clinton. this is as close to a manifesto that she has ever produced. with every form debacle. if that's problems are is to merge it is not to for the price of one.
8:11 pm
you will run health care. and she goes back to the drawing board with fancy pants well-educated person and she passed to a sanitized with that as sushi wants to be. >> but again with the cloud of controversy always around the clintons. >> so when your schedule start to finish you will hire a helper. hiring ghostwriter at $20,000 with that
8:12 pm
autobiography that is accepted. added takes a village to have a village but does not specify any wide the fact she does not specify this particular woman shows that clinton insensitivity and sloppiness to show that this is my book just a little bit. but a little better of gratitude of controversy from "the new york times." that hillary clinton is a plagiarist. is the tempest in the teapot but is it the culpability would look like for first lady of the united states? enjoy the grammy.
8:13 pm
>> that is of great line. many people have helped to complete this without even knowing it. they are so numerous and will not attempt to acknowledge them publicly for fear i believe somebody out. >> this is someone that i believe is still a professor journalism english at georgetown she has collaborated with many notable figures on books in this manner but that wouldn't be a very unusual thing to do. >> machine has had ghostwriters as a speechwriter helped her to write and has gone out of
8:14 pm
her way to recognize and as an author is quite an endeavor. >> many politicians give way to much freedom and power for those ghostwriters don't do much themselves the supposedly there is the reagan story but he says and here it is great. so from one eye and a stand but almost it interviewing the book from hillary clinton to draft material to edit for a politician that is a riding book that is legitimate. what is the missing gene?
8:15 pm
white unique to say was totally my project to be perfect? so that leads to all the questions of who she really is. >> this is lovely learned allot about cheese that with those career people with a cut explain to her on the map that she wants to learn more she is not the politician that is just of talking points but if her aides feel that they need to come prepared because she will spend the day reading and clipping newspapers to give them to operate aids and looking into this and report back. she is and just saying that but will follow-up.
8:16 pm
and that the state department's somebody who came to her to complain about an issue there would like to work so that seems like that insignificant thing so we put this in the showers? even the smallest little thing. >> during the jimmy carter days pdf to engineer with the of whitehouse tennis court to micromanage the politician has to know what to pay attention to so one person may have a and spokane much about is bill clinton that we end knowledge and the acknowledgments his genius
8:17 pm
is to be a the policy guy and do the hallmark by hillary clinton to be the first supreme court who was known in the '50s she was known as sister frigidaire to have that more intellectual side the biggest most political game of ball and bill clinton could balance the political side to be too much margaret thatcher. >> she admits it in one of the of primary campaign events said i am not natural
8:18 pm
politician that was a great human moment that everybody knows the just her and acknowledgement of it with that frailty and self awareness what terrific moment. how do with the presidency if not a politician quick. >> to say i am very good at governing. >> with it takes a village by bill clinton to write my strong feelings respect on children cause me to bite my tongue more than a few times but to think what i could do to be a better wife and partner. bill and i have worked
8:19 pm
harder marriage of mutual respect that we are blessed with chelsea and latinos our commitments -- that handles our commitments. >> from the very beginning she talks about how bill went to the mas class and he was reading stories to chelsea had night and this funny story they were living in the governor's mansion and she loved curious george he was always eating coconuts so they go by a cocoanut so they were stabbing and finally they take it outside to start beating it on the driveway of the governor's mansion and security was staring at
8:20 pm
them. with all these humanizing stories and the caring has spent the then the family medical leave fact with those big policy initiatives but you do get some personal element for them as part of the village. >> also chelsea was so protected by them that uh cocoanut anecdote was interesting to me to see them out there to portray
8:21 pm
chesley as a child but how she grew up that who she was and about her age i never really quite new upper or understanding that at the time to see that as the family dynamic. >> also about hillary's mother dorothy had a huge impact growing up and she and her younger sister was sent crosscountry along by the mother who hated them and the message the dorothy david is you don't get divorced. so one of the things hillary clinton has said first did
8:22 pm
simply an arrangement to people are in love with each other. and that story shows us is the deep commitment to maintaining marriage but that is a way to say we are not this couple who don't understand life but then she tells the story of the of hillary robot and the sheer incompetence as a young mother not knowing how to breast feed cows steve that learning curve is a specialist the first year of life but there is something about the way the was unsure how to make the leap into
8:23 pm
the great beyond. >> but to go back to the mother going across country mrs. clinton also talks about the fact that relatives or a cousin help serve mother and step did in. >> so earlier we talked about it is a cliche. so think about it. the insight that requires the platform that she has she's is that in a powerful way because in the 1990's they answer a question they did not know they had to ask who are we? where do we go? post '60s post civil-rights the reagan and counterattack
8:24 pm
for those crazy ideas now where do we go? but "it takes a village" is way better because it shows americans did not want to be so lonely and what is more welcoming than a village parks but also about values and life and tradition. >> before you wrote did you read it takes a village? >> pretty much. what did you learn? >> just to get a sense of the of family dynamics that she does try to present yourself as human food is
8:25 pm
hillary clinton? we talk hashemi choices was a young lawyer and had to go to trial bill clinton was a way traveling and those to identify with this was the most real ball the clinton books so i read that with interest recently from what she is trying to present today with that cohesive part and how that comes together.
8:26 pm
>> is this the most real of the of books greg. >> yes. that is a statement from it takes a village and a significant drop-off especially hard choices and people want to know how many responded to monica lansky scandal the hard choices is hard to read it takes a village is interesting so i would say the other books suffer greatly. >> so we try to get at that
8:27 pm
we want to see that side of her every woman relating to that feeling session does have the real moments but i do stick to my first response that is the most real portrayal. >> the critical star a much more critical eye. i have a stack of first beaches enter interviews so comparing that stack but that was very disconcerting. and to be put into a blender
8:28 pm
and then to come up with the book that is very first lady like. that is a little more substantial. but there is something very safe and cautious. but the first memoir especially compared to the deadly long memoir. and then to have combat pay after that book. >> this is an overview of it takes a village it looks like a book ended feels like the book but reelection
8:29 pm
pamphlet 8300 page press release for sri have to imagine hillary with her staff of 15 women and one man so does an even attempt to marshal the manuscript this is the big job because march 1996. >> what they're saying is and that applies to any book
8:30 pm
they should be regarded sold these what they want us to see as her core and that is as close as we're going to get. but i can understand i think it is applicable to most political books if you measure in the universe is should be more revealing. >> 20 years later it may be more honest when i read it. that there is more of that substance did to the fact we have gotten even more cautious so the context has shifted deere period if
8:31 pm
history that is popular now with culture that we see more that three dimension hillary clinton. >> so eisen of third to get to talk about how things came together just to get them something that was in their room that we are encountering that. so it is just a very interesting i think she had written the book today would not have been as revealing. >> now with the age of twitter a candidate who has emerged through twitter.
8:32 pm
day for 300 pages of press release in shows a little bit more value are. >> senior white house correspondent with the rebirth of hillary clinton or 2014. you mentioned you are working on a sequel? >> to pick up where we left off we left off sheet is running we believe she is at this time. >> she is running. [laughter] always thinking that shima will lead run added chief govern as secretary of state? does she figure out what went wrong what lessons are
8:33 pm
applied to this campaign to the narrative bark and the ups and downs of course we will know the answer with the book comes out there where did it all go wrong. >> is out to the early next year and a co-author is wrong side meyer. >> who was he with quick xx was with "politico". >> q rhodesias clinton polarizing first lady so why a did you say you should use the term polarizing quick. >> and a campaign for started it was deemed anti-feminist ideas think polarizing is not gender based.
8:34 pm
>> is there a dog whistle? >> may be able it has come so far beyond i feel that we have regressed but yes it is a taboo. but in the broader scheme yes. >> so talk about that complexity. >> carat two-step been there for a minute. >> so talking about the art of the books i was too harsh shaman in history which is of better book. but what i would say is what she hasn't written about is
8:35 pm
of a 2008 campaign it takes a village. living history is through her time has first lady. and her choice is picks up that unpleasantness. and the one thing and want to grapple. >> and how to come to terms. and then i agreed. and what i would love to read to deal with that but above to read about 2008 and hashish thought about the
8:36 pm
campaign we'll is this obama guy? and that is what is missing with the hillary clinton and auto bibliography. >> we did this last week with the donald trump with the art of the deal is there a different dynamic to this discussion to donald trump? >> analysis in realtime? [laughter] i think both cases they were written decades ago looking for insight into a human being today i think with it
8:37 pm
takes a village to look for the ambiguities and the contradictions and with "the art of the deal" it is more of thises how he presents himself to translate how he was governor and we seem more inclined to trust a lines and toll seems like it will save and zag.
8:38 pm
>> it is also the mystery of hillary clinton. >> many people believe we cannot guarantee health care in fact, a sensible universal system and the costing less and and tell me are willing to take a long hard look at the health care system to make affordable care to every american the village will continue to burn house-to-house. bern? [laughter] >> health care will always be seen as hillary clinton it was her pet tissue from first lady fully embraced obama and was uh cheerleader
8:39 pm
behind the scenes when other cabinet secretaries have no priorities so to see is the owl moment to portray her hugging the president the day after happens this is her great albatrosses she failed and raises questions what leadership did she bring quick. >> if it was a huge failure failure, and now she likes to bring it up to say i was into that before it was cool. the line that she always says i fought for health care and i have the scars to
8:40 pm
prove it but this is when there were no scars the wound was very fresh. but she brings it up in such vivid language but now the fact that she fought to and failed even if that was at the time a huge failure. >> >> they are not sure they will bend reelection. >> so when 1995 bill clinton decided break 50 percent. this is a moment in that 1994 loss she runs into the
8:41 pm
intellectual monastery to write the book because of the health care failure. >> a share my husband's believe nothing inverts of public schools with the religion free zones that requires all religious expression to be left behind at the schoolhouse door and the religion is to a important in our history and heritage to keep out of this call will. >> this is part of what i am talking about. bill clinton m. barack obama the only way they can be elected in the wake of the reagan revolution to believe in family and faith and the flag. they have tried very hard not to get upstaged on the issues of patriotism or questions of faith and on family with barack obama
8:42 pm
they tried and it was the great tragedy for the bill clinton ministrations so it is about values and family and the weaknesses with women. that commitment to space is important we 101 negative we tend to talk about the '60s hillary clinton thought that critique. compared to the '70s she was that good girl from illinois. but for her, and they did not want to jettison those families senate we're still
8:43 pm
fighting about the '60s even with the selection. trump and clinton they fight over who was a baby boomer. george w. bush mitt romney donald trump hillary clinton anti-vietnam. >> but ultimately what schools need most from the village are high standards. some people disagree even claiming voluntary standards permitting outsiders to see what they are taught i favor promoting choice among public schools with the president's charter schools initiative. >> that is an interesting thought. and not knowing she would say the same thing today.
8:44 pm
>> if you were bernie sanders? laugh laugh he probably did. you probably would have picked that up but here he is fighting for one of their biggest discrepancies right now over free public college he barely wants to make this thing going for word that is why he has not endorsed area and is still holding on. >> which indoors the school uniforms but for teachers and administrators to care about their budgets. public-school teachers, she almost sounds like george w. bush biggest obstacle with the low expectations that is his line.
8:45 pm
and every - - occurs in the book it is interesting to see where the public plaister in a centrist position in the '90s but very much is out of step with where her party is today and where she has to go in this campaign. >> but politician who exchanged everything but again this and argument she has to make by being in the public eye for decades and she has to explain dire rationale that has kept her going otherwise she will get that to death. >> are there core principles in this book greg.
8:46 pm
>> absolutely. goes back to her three ids she believes in the free-market family and government in trying to figure out how to make those three work and she does that as president that but me her challenge right now you improbably use the book to explain how she did 2009 through 2017 that the fundamentals are there. but the basic hillary clinton formula is understanding about power and the racism and sexism to try to find a synthesis to apply the lessons of the '70s and '80s that is the of formula that they would want
8:47 pm
to apply that she can do. >> after a show this video i will start with you is hillary clinton in 1996 were four "it takes a village" appearing on our old booked notes program. >> for those people who shoot before they aim and don't get the facts or make a region statements or judgments about other people. the press feels it has such a vested interest to stay ahead whatever is nobody can say they were behind the curve but the nature of a the press coverage of the partisanship is the decibels
8:48 pm
awful i don't think it is good for the country they can accuse each other. >> all you can think of is where we are now. with the donald trump and if you could have watched that i am curious to she would say today because we have changed in such a crazy way with donald trump the most unconventional candidate oppose her and throw everything matter, i know they were prepared for it from the beginning they thought they would but he takes it to a whole new level. so watching her say that right now is humorous.
8:49 pm
>> and that is 20 years old with the press hasn't changed is still want to be the first one to get out there to look for the part of the campaign. >> it is true and she admitted a few months ago negative she doesn't care for the national press corps that travels with her she was to talk about the of the local press issues and that is what president obama does as well he invites the local press but does not want to talk about the larger issues for this story of the day. >> so much has been said in this campaign of the donald trump relationship with the press but put your finger on something of a conservative bias that they are identifying more accurately
8:50 pm
is whenever side that happens to be on it is a gratuitous of what political reporters can focus is where the conflicts are with them not just between parties but the administration that is where the debates are fleshed out. so it isn't that they try to uncover conflict but sometimes that is the job. but what you see in this campaign is orders of magnitude and at the time she thought it was horrific. >> the white mustache it was so much fun to write this because the 1990's to go back to jackson puc with the
8:51 pm
rise of talk radio and the collapse of the mainstream press corps things seem to get out of control and now we'll make it worse. so we forget. that generation of supporters would not welcome this generation of politicians to run into negative coverage. i call the clinton administration bill and hillary despite the fact it was generational but in the '90s it is child's play today but they did that right there. they said they were jealous
8:52 pm
with the southern bias but george w. bush says it is conservative for obama says it is racism but clinton and obama and bush they all say they're president was more than any other in history. what is going on? is it up part that a level of criticism is a sense often that there is something out of control. with a new level of power in the age of 24/7 media to get a handle on that like a vision for america. >> we will go back to where we started in the few
8:53 pm
minutes we have remaining if you picked up "it takes a village" today would you learn about hillary clinton and her politics in 2016 quick. >> you would learn much more trustworthy and i think he would burn of the struggles which is a good thing and to understand how modern america can forge a new future. >> to understand the challenges and to believe that it is tempered by conservativism that could do the job. >> is that russia is campaigning in 2016. >> some days. live a hard time because she goes back and forth but i think we will start to see
8:54 pm
in the general election a move for that. my guess the more we get closer to november 8 fell less we will hear bernie sanders 24 stocks century vaughan negative 21st century they will have to play a little white america pennsylvania michigan and that book is specially today has the potential to appeal to them that there bernie sanders bible does not. >> i think you do learn more about hillary clinton meeting this block. i remember when it came out i only read it over the past year. i got a sense of her that i have not seen in her memoirs or even interpublic appearances. as mentioned earlier she grapples. and i am not optimistic to
8:55 pm
be a force or hillary emerging in the general election campaign because i think that so much of the campaign will be less about hillary clinton of clue she really is but more like not donald trump and. when you have this outlandish unconventional characters on the other side , i imagine it will be defined against that. unfortunately that means hillary herself will remain elusive. >> i think it is a little bit of both a think we will hear more of that you are seeing a little bit more. she has made her way through quite a few messages and of them have stopped but this one is appealing to did general i do think we will hear more of the broader
8:56 pm
theme i'm sure she'll even recite the words but allotted it is that i did learn something about her few years ago reparation for my book and also recently that it does give a window into flu she is to answer the larger question with hillary clinton and that is something she needs to continue to do. she has to answer that question a little better than she has. >> senior white house correspondent co-author of h. r. seek. in the book critic for the washington post and associate editor and history professor visiting washington as a visiting scholar is the author of
8:57 pm
several books. including the age of clinton. thanks for being here.
8:58 pm
8:59 pm
9:00 pm
>> congratulations on your new book. . .

17 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on