Skip to main content

tv   Open Phones with Dana Perino  CSPAN  December 31, 2016 6:20pm-7:01pm EST

6:20 pm
i was looking for who else was going to sort of make the cut, there were moments when i had to put everything aside and write and there were moments where i was doing a juggling act reporting on one person and researching another, doing interviews about, you know, ion sign one day and howard hughes the next. in some ways that made it exciting. it allowed me to make connections that i might not have otherwise made if i had been working on one at a time and made it challenging in a good way. we took a vacation, august a couple of years ago when i had a big deadline, i was supposed to turn six chapters, we went to duck north carolina and we rented a house just off the internet and walked in and i knew i had to pretty much work
6:21 pm
the whole week because i had to tbit drafts in good shape for editing and i had a huge pile of box in the back of the car and the bathing suit over in that corner, most of it was the files and we walked into this house and and if it was made for us. people talk about writers' retreats and get away, when i didn't have all the notes around my desk and all the stuff i'm used to seeing, it gave me a clarity of thought having -- i got out every now and then for a little walk and mostly i spent time in beautiful setting and allowed me to accomplish and write in a way i couldn't have at home. it was a combination, really, of all of that and i think it's a real journey doing a book
6:22 pm
project and, you know, very different from shorter stories and it's a learning curve, that you sort of work your way through for the challenges are wonderful and the final result is the sense of satisfaction that you don't get -- you don't quite get from shorter kinds of stories. anyone else? well, thank you so much for coming. i really enjoyed it. [applause]o author and the five hosts dana perino, how my best friend became america's dog. a lot of people take issue that
6:23 pm
your dog is named america's dog. >> i don't blame them. every one dog is number one in their lives. if it's a nickname given to him on red eye, a show that greg gutfeld -- >> we can't get along. remember that we have a few thicks in common and for millions of us that's our love of our pets. >> it's true. 67% of american households have a household pet, most are dogs, not to disparage cats an i've seen that in my own life. certainly at the dog parks in washington, d.c. and now ince manhattan, we don't talklk politics any time there. we all talk about dogs and we have made so many good friends and connect with people where you don't talk about the news of the day or any of the vitrol.
6:24 pm
>> not republican centers, they know who you are?they k >> yes. >> when you come in with jasper? >> there's so much understanding that our work lives are separate from the time when we go there. you know in your life every human being searches for those periods in their life where they can feel serenity, they are jush going to be and when i have a chance to go to the dog park or i'm home alone with jasper or even with peter, my husband peter, that's when i feel my most serene. >> let's show some pictures from the book? >> a sporting dog from hungary, a lot like the sherman short-haired, they were bred together to produce the hungarian bisila. after world war ii, in the post
6:25 pm
world war soviet union sort of expansion, one of the thicks that the stalin folks did was to try to demoralize people in hungary by exterminating the breeds and reluctant to send any dogs outside of the country but there were a small group of people who got together and they figured out a way for underground system and that's how they survived.rg >> once you get attached to a certain breed, do you stick with it? >> i think so. i admire people who rescue dogs. matches up rescue dogs, some cats with wounded warriors and they do all sorts of things, like to vaccinations and a little bit of pet insurance and food to take care of the first three months of training, sometimes if it's needed. yes, do i think if you're a
6:26 pm
person that love pug, you're probably always going to have a pugs, german shepherds. and by the way, we are going to put the phone lines up if youro want to call in and talk with dana perino, former white house press secretary, if you live in east and central times 748-8201, if you life in mountain and pacific time zones. how did you sell to 12, your publisher?2, >> the good news thankfully it was a success. when i wrote it, i wasn't a natural long form writer and my first draft when i turned it in the editor said more, more, i take my assignment very literally,i work my butt all summer and the editor says, oh, no, now it's too long and i had to cut ten thousand words and it
6:27 pm
was already very tightly written and there was a chapter on dogs and it was about 9500 words and i said, okay, you can have theke dog chapter back because it didn't exactly fit in. i didn't know i was going to get another chance to write the book. sean saidic you're making the right decision, i promise you one day they'll be a dog book. that was the beginnings, i wrote a lot more. i added illustrations because that made it more unique. >> jasper is posing quite a bit? >> these are interesting story, a lot of people are unhappy with social media right now because sos to vitriolic. c he's self-taught and he wouldet take pictures that i post of jasper and put them in different scenes. there's an entire gallery of his amazing work. >> dana perino what have the
6:28 pm
last five months been like? >> i worked a lot. the elections took a lot of time and i got part of not just the five, but also the election coverage so with bret baier and megan kelly, steve hays, george will, people i've admired for so long and we worked a lot of hours together, chris is another one. i did a podcast as well. we worked weekend and also an amazing fascinating story to cover, if you waited four hours, there would be a new story line in this election. it was just so wild the whole time. >> what's your take on the result? >> well, i think america spoke very, very loudly. the map looks totally different, donald trump was able to do something that a lot of people including me looking at the numbers didn't think he could do. kellyanne conway, the president elect's campaign manager, the cues and clues were there all along. pe,
6:29 pm
i remember in 2012, i bought in the idea that the polls were skewed and romney was going to win and that turned not to be true and i told myself i would never do that again. the national polling was correct, but the state polls was absolutely off and the wave of change that donald trump was able to achieve is quite remarkable and the republicans keep the house and the senate and a year ago no one would have thought that was possible. so now the republicans have this opportunity, i should mention it's not just actually in washington where republicans will hold power, all across the country, in 2012, 2008 president obama inherited 62 state legislatures that were intu democratic control, today 68 of those are in republican control out of 99. that is america saying we want some change. now the popular vote went to hillary clinton, quite decisively but in america you go by the electoral college.
6:30 pm
>> page 51, i'd never said it in public what my personal opinions were before i joined fox news as contributor and while it is somewhat freeing to do so, it's a bit like walking on a high wire without a net? >> yes. >> so i was a spokesperson for somebody else my whole career and you could ask me what george w. bush thought about the war or the financial crisis or legalization of marijuana and i could tell you what he thought or how he came to a decision on stem cell research, i knew exactly how he would come to the conclusion and i would say that i largely agreed with it. then i get to be on the five and all of a sudden is what would you think about the legalization of marijuana and i kind of choked because i had never gone out on that limb before and i really give a credit to the fox news executives that game me tho chance and also my cohosts, they were really instrumental in helping me know that it was okay to be myself and, i think, i
6:31 pm
also worried that if i gave myo own opinion, i could never go back to doing sort of spokesperson work because then people would know and i was worried about that and i remember finally five months into it i relaxed and thought, i don't wanting to back to that. i like this career path that i'm on, finally felt more comfortable. but still if you give your opinion, you are the target of criticism and before the target of criticism was somebody that i worked for, so it wasn't personal. now it's personal and i learned -- i've had to learn to try tody deal with that. >> were you a never trump camp person? >> i never said that, i never labeled myself that way but i did make it clear that i was uncomfortable with a lot of the things he had said. now that said, i'm very excited about the policy going forward. i believe that paul ryan and mitch mcconnell will be able to work with the white house and create really good policy that could do great work around the country so the next two years or
6:32 pm
maybe four, maybe eight could be really good for the republican party. >> what do you think of the book tour circuit, you've got a lot of people around here, you've did t already spoken? >> well, i had a chance, absolutely a great place to go. there were 3000 -- 300 people that came on a sunday night. that's a good tip. i got to go to richard libraryo and southwest michigan and actually driving along it's really good, even though i have roots in the western part of the united states, i have been in manhattan for a long time. driving along and seeing america, you realize why they want to change and i hope that they get it.
6:33 pm
>> pete in san antonio, texas, pete, you're on with dana on wi perino. >> hello, dana. >> how are you? >> how are you?ue >> i'm great, thank you. >> what's your question or comment, pete? >> when do you come to san antonio so i can meet you? >> i would love to go there. i heard the river walk is amazing. >> pete, is that all you've got? that's pete in, san antonio. >> thanks, pete. >> have thousand thought being on fox regularly that noter -- has changed? >> yes. >> have you ever been harassed?
6:34 pm
>> no, i also have this george w. bush library jacket. i love to wear it and i saw shepherd smith in the elevator and he was wearing it, wow, you love him. i do, i love him. i think people do a double-take once in a while. there's a lot -- there are more republicans than conservatives in big cities than you think. they're just quiet about it. >> speaking of which george w. bush has a new book.er >> i'm so excited. >> what is it? >> he has undertaken a project where he's finishing the painting the portraits of 98 wounded warriors who served under his command, so a very emotional and moving tribute to these men and women and very a personal way, it's not been done in the history of the world and so that book will come out in february and i hope that book tv has a chance to talk to them. >> i hope book tv has a chance
6:35 pm
to talk to them as well. linda go ahead with your question or comment for dana perino. >> hi, dana. or i never -- hi. i love you and i'm a dog lover and never miss your show and congratulations, you're just big in everybody's eyes including mine. >> thank you so much, do you have a question as well? >> no, i just wanted to tell you how much we like you. >> well, i feel -- i actually i'm so glad i came today to hear that. thank you very much.d >> so far this is an easy, easy show for you. october 30th, 2016, usa today, dana perino said i do feel a drift as a republican woman, maybe a woman without a party, you sort of feel like i don't know if i belong anymore? >> yeah, i don't necessarily
6:36 pm
think i'm alone though certainly republican women came to thehe party and voted in large numbers for donald trump, they wanted the change as well. and what i'm trying to tease out in my own life which is, i think, is the case, ronald reagan talked about the big ten and maybe it's bigger than i think it is, i'm not making sudden moves but i have evolved professionally from being a spokesperson to been somethingng who answers and comments on the news and i do think that people are more willing to willing to listen to me based on my experience and analysis if i cannot be seen as an advocate but as somebody who would understand the issues and can base my comments on something that i experience either on capitol hill or at the white house. >> is manhattan an island when it comes to opinion and perhaps getting isolated a little bit? >> one of the things -- obviously i work at fox news so i hang out a lot of people of diverse opinion, juan williams
6:37 pm
and i are very good friends and gutfelt who is libertarian, strong conservatives, now what you would call them populist, i've been surprised frankly because when i lived in washington, d.c., your whole life tends to be politics, even in your social life. that's not the case in manhattan. it took me a while to -- for new york to grow on me but it really has and i find it refreshing to be there where you can be anonymous or you can be in it as much as you want to be and it's pretty, a place that, i think, welcomes a lot of diverse opinion, i don't think it's as partisan as made out to be. >> john is in harbor beach, michigan and john, you're on book tv with dana perino. >> dana, good afternoon. >> hi, how are you?
6:38 pm
>> i'm fine, conservative guy from michigan, my wife is more liberal than myself and she makes me watch the liberal channels, which i do.d she ma >> okay. >> since the election they just seem to -- the other side, the left, they seem to scrutinizee everything that donald trump does to the -- not -- it's not a good thing, i just wonder when he gets in if they're going to plan everything this guy done for the next four years, i would just like your comment? >> well, i think we will have to see. one of the things that has been unfair, partly they have to ownr a little bit of this, initially right out of the gate the transition becomes a story, and that's very important because the transition is so important from one administration to the next. and they did basically move chris christie on out of there, they put pence in and you had all of the stories that saying
6:39 pm
that the transition was in total disarray, barack obama when he was president elect, did not nominate anybody until november 248 to -- 28th of that month. donald trump has plenty of time and surprised him that he met with nikki haley that was initially for marco rubio and then you had mitt romney meeting with donald trump yesterday. so i think that everyone just needs to settle in to it a little bit, cover it as it happens but the other thing is that donald trump is able to speak directly to so many people because of his use of social media, facebook and twitter in particular, so how the media covers that will be a story and actually it's a story about how they cover it, so there's plenty of news coverage to go around, for me i'm really looking forward to the coverage of policies because there's a lot of meet -- meat there, a lot to
6:40 pm
chew on and i'm looking forward to that. >> you mentioned mitt romney and you have jasper in the republican convention, do you know mitt romney and what do you think of him being as part of the trump administration? >> first ever photo shop that the artist did because on the five we were talking about theco mystery speaker on the 2012 election and nobody knew who wufs going to be and it ends occupy being clint eastwood. yes, i met mitt romney and i'm a fan. i give obviously credit for donald trump. i'm willing to wait for a second because perhaps this tent is bigger than we thought.
6:41 pm
>> what about the masses as a whole. somebody in your position, an anchor when they take a political stance it makes it difficult to come out, do you think that's entry wide or do you think, for instance, somebody like tom who was well known democrat and was use anchor do -- >> i have to tell you as white house press secretary believe it or not that most of the reporters tried their upmost to be fair and i appreciated all of the work that they did and i knew they had a job to do and that's the relationship between the press secretary or thek president and the press is naturally adversarial but it doesn't have to be angry or mean, it's also can be mutually beneficial.ma it's a good point when you say policies will be good for theav republican party and you're right to point that out to me because now, i'm a person who
6:42 pm
has grown up in small town wyoming and colorado, i have always believed that republican policies and conservative ideals are better for the country as a whole. i don't want any republican policies to just help republicans, i certainly don't. when i was the press secretary i never thought myself a press secretary to the republicans but to all of the country because there's an rnc and they have a spokesperson and that where was the party work was done. i do think that there's something exciting that's about to happen as well. for so long, for the left and the right, it was seen as a treasonnist act to come to the table and make a deal, compromise. i don't think it's going to be the same way anymore. one of hillary clinton's and donald trump's agreements was a, infrastructure, donald trump would spend twice as much money, that's not a traditional republican view. paul ryan and mitch mcconnell might have to be pulled along by donald trump to accept more
6:43 pm
spending but at the same time could they cut a deal on corporate tax reform. i think chuck schumer, the new senate majority leader for the democrats will be willing to cut some deals and i'm hoping that both the left and the right will allow both parties to come to the table to make agreements on things so we can move issues for the country. >> from your first book and the good news is i'm a conservative is because everything else seems easy by comparison. >> that's right. free college, right, when bernie sanders during the primaries, talking about free college.rv that doesn't work, somebody has to pay. those actually are harder things to come by. >> james is calling in from spokane, washington. >> that's a beautiful place. >> i had two questions and one is a little bit out of topic and the second one is about jasper, so what do you think about the supreme court becoming political and that just really bothers me,
6:44 pm
and the second thick aboutthat jasper is as people become more isolated, having a dog is actually really important and that builds you as a person and i really like what you have to say about both, thank you? >> so the supreme court is something that's near and dear to my heart, i was the spokesperson for chief justice roberts and alito when their confirmations were being ushered through the senate. i learned more about the court because of that work. here is what i think about the justices and you saw this after scalia died that behind the scenes they are actually very good friends, doesn't matter their politics and i do think that the court has a way of simmering things down and i don't think it will be as political. now process is super politicalei and i think that one of the reasons donald trump was able ti convince so many republicans tod go with him even if they had reservations is because they w believed the supreme court woulc
6:45 pm
be in better hands if there was a conservative court. but i hear your point of view that it shouldn't be political. president obama has suffered several executive action defeats by nine to zero in the supreme court. now maybe eight to zero until we get somebody else confirmed. i don't think it's as political when it finally gets to the court but the process is going to be super political.fi your other question about dogs, one of the reasons i'm donating part of the proceeds to companions for heros is for exactly that reason, post traumatic stress can make people draw inward and one of the things that a rescue dog can do is help you get outside and meet people and companionship and love is so important. i remember when my grandfather died, my grandmother got a doxin and gave her so much joy and boy, did she spoil that dog. and i find it in my own life too, when you feel like you've
6:46 pm
been kicked around or bad day, dogs are such a great source of comfort. my neighbors, my friends, people that have i have never met but connect with me on social media. so i agree with you, i'm a big fan of dogs, the only thick i caution people is specially younger professionals, they're anxious to get a dog, but it is important to wait to get wasn't until you have the means to be be able to take care of it because the guilt of not being there to take care of the dog can sometimes undermine the benefits of having one. >> did you bring jasper on tour with you?? >> i felt a felt jasper. he got to go to some of the book signings. i haven't gotten to the point h where i got the service dog vests. >> has he flown on the plane in cargo? >> no, i did that once with henry, we flew him from england to colorado when we first moved back and i was a total wreck. he was fine, i panicked and so
6:47 pm
i've never put a dog on a plane again. >> michael in the clearwater, florida, you're on the line with dana perino. >> i'm looking toward for rescue pitbull, i share your affection for dogs and i love their unconditional love, i was wondering if maybe both parties could learn a little bit from america's, you know, man's best friend and this is in no way endorsement of the insane tendency toward therapy dog's on america's campuses, all kidding aside, do you think petting a dog occasionally might incline them towards political compromise?ti >> well, i don't know about political compromise but there are studied scientific studies
6:48 pm
being around a dog. you pet aca dog that will calm your heart rate. and also we know therapy dogs clearly work not just for wounded warriors for all sorts of people, we know that they can help parents who have children that suffer from diabetes or epilepsy. i'm all for utilizing dogs as example owns and also in medicine. i would also say that if you feel like you've unfollowed people because of politics, i'm not suggesting going back to that. >> i just saw on instagram a
6:49 pm
picture george w. bush and laura bush, they went to the local animal shelter for a fundraiser. >> freddie.hughes i >> and came home with a dog. >> about eight months ago i was with president bush and we were at a barbara bush literac foundation and she runs, she built spca building in dallas and it's topnotch and i saw the president say to her, january, i want to come by and tour thesh facility and we will get somesa good press for you and i said to him, you can't go to the shelter and not come home with a dog an i don't know if mrs. bush is ready for a new dog or not, but sure enough he went there and they get a new rescued puppy named freddie. laura bush said pets made white house a home and president obama and mrs. obama had the most beautiful portugu├ęs water dogs,
6:50 pm
i don't know if the president elect is planning to have a dog out there, doesn't sound like they're going to spend too much time. >> when you were there and my guess is that kate got the picture to show everybody, but when you're at the white house, did the dogs have free rain. >> barney? >> yes. >> barney, definitely. he would walk by. there goes barney. he didn't like too many name but the president. wal [laughter]k walk >> he loved the president. he was kind of grumpy. [laughter] >> kat is in bob springs. >> hi, ms. perino. >> great, thanks for calling. >> i just wanted to ask you to give jasper a kiss for me and i am celebrating -- animal rescue foster mom.
6:51 pm
>> that's amazing. there are so many great ways to help dogs including if i had a house in a yard i would do this, you know that you can rescue or foster dogs while they're owners are on deployment overseas, so there's another way to help the military. >> as retired u.s. air forcesea? family, duo that as -- duo -- we do that as well. they have a treat for them. they just changed the law in new york state that outside seating
6:52 pm
areas are allowed to have dogs t sitting there. sometimes there's a barrier. the owners will say you can have the dog outside the barrier. that is not happening with jazz per.id he would be so upset if that happened. people are coming more relaxed and there's a great way, if you're a business, it's a great way to spend money. >> karen, massachusetts, go ahead. >> well, good afternoon.ay, if ms. perino i'm so happy that you wrote the book, i have not yet seen it but i will read it soob and i was just curious. would you say that it would be a good idea to have more therapy animals within the schools toorr calm down children as far as bullying and maybe reading their books better and a quick other question is would you say that mr. trump would do well to have his own dog for a therapy
6:53 pm
animal. >> dogs are great for everybody. on the kids' thing, i have a saying that every dog needs aa dog and every kid needs a dog. specially if you get a log 7 or 8 year's old, you live with that dog until college and maybe beyond. you will always know that that dog is yours and obviously it sounds like you're more of an expert than i am when it comes to dealing with little children than what they might need. of course, having dogs in schools is good. i grew up on a ranch and i think when it comes to allergies and w things like that being expose today more things when you're a. kid is good, though, i'm not a mom of a child so maybe i'm wrong on that having grown up in the dirt basically i'm for moren dogs and, yes, donald trump would benefit from having a dogo because they are good companions, with harry truman
6:54 pm
said if you want a friend in washington get a dog and my good friend said, actually get two in case the first one turns on you. >> what are we looking at here? >> so my mom and i are on the first part, that's our dog jaco, that was my first pet and he lived to be 17 year's old. he died when i was a senior in high school. h we had to take him in. he got to the point where he needed care. and the other is my grandpa's ranch. there were a lot of working dogs on that ranch and my grandfather i dedicate the book to. he taught me about patriotism, dignity and love for animals and we talked about dominion over them. i was the stronger of the two of us. peter was collapsing inside. >> your husband? >> not you.
6:55 pm
yes, my husband peter and i said to the vet, we are ready, we walked into the room and they were going to bring henry in, we were waiting, we were distraught and then the vet comes without henry and he said, he passed as soon as you walked into this room and i really think he was waiting for us to say good-bye.t >> you're the last word. >> hi, ms. dana, i want you to know that you bring me comfort every time i watch you on fox five. you seem to be the grown-upmost of the time at the table and i enjoy a little bit of my president, president reag-- reagan and bush. my husband is a law enforcement officer. my family were special agents in the government.
6:56 pm
we were one that voted for trump that were silent because we couldn't put out a flag without someone egging our house. it became un-american country. we were one of the silent, we asked for the white house to become blue and every time, no, no. so i am one of the silent that did vote for trump because he's the closest thing that shows strength and comfort. >> thank you, we are going to leave it there. and c dana perino. >> thank you so much. i know that a lot of people maybe felt that way on both sides, that they couldn't be public about who they supported but plenty of people were public about it and now that the election is behind us we willt have an inauguration and, i think, that hopefully everybody can keep an open mind andlet see what they do rather than worrying about what they may do. i think the whole country could take a collective deep breath and enjoy the holiday and pick
6:57 pm
back up in january. >> when are we going to get everybody else on book tv? >> i will talk to them. >> let me tell you about jasper, how my best friend became america's dog. >> here is a look at some authors recently featured on after words. john hopkins environmental health scientist professor reported on industrial meat production. georgetown university philosophy professor jason brennon provided a critical look at democracies and harvard business school professor talked about the motivations of white-collar criminals. in the coming weeks on after words, sylvia will describe how our bodies react to fat. jonathan weighs on the legacy of president barack obama. also al ferd university
6:58 pm
philosophy professor explores happiness comes from frugality. wall street news editor looks at women who have successfully climbed the corporate latter. >> i think the other aspect that's important to talk about is this notion that maybe asked the women who take on the roles because no man, you know, was willing to do so and women because of how we perceived role as leaders, because of unconscious biases are seen as odd duck . they are subject to greater scrutiny but they are more willing to take on some of the high-risk assignments because they want to prove that, you know, they can do it. in mary's case, she stepped in a company that was doing well and
6:59 pm
you know what hit the fan with this huge recall crisis many, many desks, the problems that they were having and with their cars and i think frankly there were many doubts comments who didn't see mary as surviving what was gm's worst crises if not ever. she took personal responsibility for getting it right and making it right and she made it clear in her town hall meetings that she did gm employees that she was holding everybody else accountable, everybody else was responsible for fixing what was going wrong and i think that he weathered that crisis like so many other women that i interviewed for this book. they overcame crises big and small and they became better leaders for it. mary today is a much better ceo, not just because she's more experience but because she had trial by fire.
7:00 pm
>> after words airs sunday at 49:00 p.m. eastern. you can watch all previous after words programs on our website, booktv.org. >> you're watching book tv on c-span2 with top nonfiction books and authors every weekend. book tv, television for serious readers. .. on book tvs afterwards program at 10:00 p.m. eastern, the wall street

44 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on