Skip to main content

tv   Megyn Kelly Discusses Settle for More  CSPAN  January 14, 2017 1:47pm-2:52pm EST

1:47 pm
cnn's jim acosta. and we wrap up our saturday prime time lineup at 11:00 p.m. with john's thoughts on the evolution of language. that all happens tonight on c-span.org's booktv. >> [background sounds] [applause] >> good evening everybody thank you all so much for coming out tonight.what a great crowd. my name is lissa muscatine i am the co-owner of politics and prose. my husband and co-owner is right he appeared on behalf of our grace that we welcome you all want to thank all of our friends and partners here at sixth&i.
1:48 pm
we love doing events here. many have you been to an event here before? all right, well i can see why you are coming back. it is one of our favorite venues and we are especially excited for tonight's event. so i think you've been given instructions on how this is going to proceed. we are really really honored and it is a pleasure to host a woman recognized by millions of people across our country and around the world. most of us, most of you i think now has one of the most influential and toughest journalists and television. she is also a former high-powered lawyer, she is a mother of three, and now ã perhaps most important test she is also an author. megyn kelly is here with us to talk about her new book called "settle for more". it is not a great title? i think is fantastic. it says a lot in three words. settle for more is a memoir and one thing i content say with ã i can say in the book business is that there is an art to
1:49 pm
writing a memoir. and there is even more of an art to writing a good memoir. even more of an art to writing a great memoir. because it has to tell the truth. it cannot pull any punches and most of all, the author must be willing to expose some of their own blemishes and vulnerabilities to explain who they are and what they are about. and let me just say, "settle for more" is a great memoir. it is a great great memoir. megyn texas through her childhood in upstate new york. through her career as a successful corporate lawyer. her decision to abandon a life for a risky new venture. and her evolution in her role as a professional woman ã spouse and a mother. along the way, she takes a deeply critical look at herself including some personal demons that she had to tame as she searched for personal
1:50 pm
fulfillment and professional success. one other very important point about this book ãit is really, really funny. actually hilarious and places. megyn has an incredibly quick wit which may explain how she survived many challenging environments she has had to work in.and some of the very contentious people she has covered. i am not mentioning any names. [laughter] now you all know that there is much more to megan's story that i just outlined. especially she has been through in the past 18 months. megyn, if it is any consolation i don't know how many of you have been following local news about pizza gate and in aiken avenue where politics and prose is located, we know a thing or two about the real consequences of fake news stories. and we are with you. we are with you and we have not experienced half of what she has. anyway, to help us get to the heart of her book and her story we are very lucky to have with us another superb broadcaster katty kay. she is well known here in
1:51 pm
washington and beyond. she's a washington anchor for bbc world news america. i'm sure many of you have seen her on msnbc in the morning show and meet the press.we are delighted that katty will be in conversation with megyn tonight.please welcoming and welcoming as to exceptional and extraordinary women. [applause] >> you must feel like a rock star. >> that was fun. >> you just carry on and have an hour of applause. >> let's just reroute that. that is the opening for the kelly show tonight. >> entering a room where everyone loves you this is great. >> i was saying last year this book to her has been the opposite of the internet.
1:52 pm
[laughter] it is real people. >> thank you all for coming on a winter monday night in washington. i know traffic was heavy because ãthank you for joining megyn and i hear. it is a real treat for me to have a chance to sit and talk to her for an hour. i have your questions and i will throw them in randomly. during the course of the evening. i've read some over the course of the weekend it is great. it is funny, it is honest ãi have to admit megyn, when i was asked to do this as it houses someone your age right memoir? you know you are just starting in life. >> will there is a story to that. because originally i was going to write a book about the segment i did in the kelly file called cupcake nation. you know only see these millennial's who can't function if they suffered any sort of event. and it was really irritating.
1:53 pm
it really gets under my skin. and so i call them cupcake nation. whatever we do one of the stories that is the animation rerun. so i was going to write a book on that. but, the more i started to write about that the more i realized there is a reason i am like this. and there's a reason i feel this way. i actually thought i could explain this to people better if i walk them through how i got to this place. and why i find that cupcake nation things so objectionable and so deeply problematic for our society and for those 20 something-year-olds. in the bottom line there is that adversity will not want to go through but it is an opportunity to grow and become stronger. and you know just take where lissa left off, had no adversity and had parents that kept me in a protective bubble 45 years, how do you think i would've handled the past year? i would've been crying under my desk. so ãthe reason i was able to handle that is because i had been through this before.
1:54 pm
>> okay so let's go back to all be new york and your parents. who are loved by the way. ãshe is almost british. and i say that as a compliment. >> my mother is one of the stars of this book. >> she is definitely one of the stars of the book. >> which she loves. >> yes, i bet. what i love about your parents, and this is perhaps another british thing of mine. the idea that they, this might sound ãbut the idea that you are particularly special. i love that. and not everybody is a winner. >> right. >> and i think that the value that you have, in fact we both have kids. and the world that our kids live in where you get a trophy just for showing up for the game. >> right. >> it drives me kind of crazy. >> i've had enough of that. i certainly did not work like
1:55 pm
that. my parents attitude was that you are so special, it was more like ãyou don't seem that special so far. and that's just fine by us. light, we are open-minded to specialness. but we do not see it yet. and that was a gift to me. because honestly i felt zero pressure to achieve or succeed growing up.i could tell he wanted me to be happy. you had to be funny my family had to have a good sense of humor. and you had to engage. you were not allowed to sit like a potted plant at the dinner table. but beyond that, you know it was like you seem happy, are you happy? good. and that worked out very well for me. and so that all started with my mom and dad. and by the way on the participation trophies does i make this point in the book. it's not that if you achieve they didn't give you praise. they did give you praise if you did something well. but there was no pressure to achieve. >> in your older brother and
1:56 pm
sister, all of your family ã this is really about megyn's family and the book. you tell your story about your dad would ask what you were doing during the day and you had to have a conversation in your older brother would say something. and then you would get to megyn and you would go on and on and on. in your brothers that she has talked enough, shut her up. >> maker shut up they would say. i died, he was an educator.he was a top phd student in education. he would go around the dinner table every night. all five of us had dinner together every entered person syracuse and albany. my dad would say to everybody, what is the report? can he will go down the line. and they would give these answers, a few words here and there. sure enough you get to me and i will go on, on, and on and on. and they would say maker shut up. my dad would say, you had your chance and now you will listen to her. and actually, my friends proposed naming my book that. [laughter]
1:57 pm
>> serves you pretty well in law and ãyou paint megyn, a picture of a very happy family. and to insist that really struck me during the course of your childhood ãand we should talk about those. first was what happened when you got into seventh grade. you are surrounded by friends and popular and going to school. and then bam ãseventh grade was a nightmare. >> it was. i think it is the second chapter in the book and it is about my seventh grade year. it is called mean girls in the book. and honestly, it is still hard to talk about to this day. i just turned 46 and this happened when i was 12. don't make me do the math but it was a long time. [laughter] i can still get teary about this if i really think back on what happened. i had always been somewhat
1:58 pm
popular. you know i never really struggled. i was not attractive at all. i had no appearance currency. you know is never one of those girls that were like oh my gosh she is so beautiful! my parents used to say she is going to be with us for a long time. [laughter] >> this is why the book is so great. you talk about putting on weight and having acne. >> and a huge space which my two front teeth which can provide that. when i was 12 my mom's a document to have that fixed? and my dad was like, don't want to look at laura hutton? and i said i'm going to go with my mom. but the point is, a group unattractive. i was kind of chunky.i had bad skin, my hair was hideous. that is my friends fall to suggested that i put some in -- you have to picture this version of me. these two people over there pay to make me look good. everyone here would look glamorous if they got people to
1:59 pm
make them look good. so i did have currency in my personality and my friendship. you know that to me was important to my own ego and my sense of self and worth. and for whatever reason, everyone here has been through seventh grade. the group just turned on me one day. and so many people have said why? and is like the group requires no reason. you know, nor do they really provide an explanation. they just turned. and i ãi went from being a popular girl to being an object of disgust for them. i mean it was just, it wasn't that they just didn't want to hang out with me. i repulsed them. and you could just deal it as i would walk through the halls. they would throw things at me, counseling make comments about my body. about my skin ãit culminated in this horrible episode where i was ãand let me just say i
2:00 pm
know people have had it so much worse. so please understand, i know that. but at the time i did not have that perspective. but i was home with my parents on a saturday night and the leader of the group called.
2:01 pm
>> just felt so isolated and alone, targeted, and as i read the book it didn't stop until the spring what a beautiful angel named heather shepard. and and all i need is one. she changed everything for me. we remained friends for years, never really articulated how grateful i was for that until this book. they both live in albany and she called my mom, she helped me too which meant so much to me.
2:02 pm
i cannot tolerate boules and one upside. [applause] >> you have done a little going out the back door. >> there is one upside to the bullying. i do have empathy for people. i have empathy for true victims of negative events. even if you have been victimized it is a self-defeating, and good empathy for people. >> you mentioned you didn't tell your mom, why do you think you didn't? >> i was ashamed.
2:03 pm
i felt their repulsion. i was doing it all along, it was my fault, i wasn't likable and that was an area which my parents did value that wanting me to have friends. they were never saying you need to be attractive. one day i was leaving the house and i on set i know a little girl who didn't brush her hair today and i was like -- he didn't make me brush it. i would make her brush her hair, standings -- >> too young. being sure those who read the
2:04 pm
book, and that is the other thing. that is the story i never told publicly before this memoir, and can view me through a generous lens. he did not want to mess with my father's death. i know other people lost somebody under less than ideal
2:05 pm
circumstances. it makes you feel better when you know somebody you can relate to had a similar circumstance. i had a beautiful relationship, he was 45, no heart problems. 10 days before christmas he dropped dead of a heart attack and it was a stupid fight over a class ring. i was being a stupid 15-year-old girl who wanted a nicer class ring and we can't afford that nicer ring and i wouldn't let it go and he had had it and walked out of the kitchen. he never got mad. he wasn't that kind of parent. my mom would get mad. he turned and walked out, i walked past him in the living room and went to my bedroom.
2:06 pm
my last flight of him devastated him was staring at the christmas tree in the living room, a good man, alone. that is something i have to live with. it ended to do on those terms. the next thing that happened was my sister came into my room and said wake up, daddy had a heart attack never revived. i write in the book about going to the hospital. i don't know if you ever lost anybody but going in there and having a chance to say goodbye. my mom was 44 years old at the time, two kids in college, 15-year-old be heading for college, she is a nurse, she did not have a lot of money. my dad just canceled the major
2:07 pm
insurance policy he had like i am 45 years old. we had money problems facing us. she was such an example for me, not by preaching, she never said to me you must be strong, you must not cry which she cries all the time obviously, on the couch. we are having a little therapy session. she made very clear you have to function in the face of emotional upset. that is the mark of a truly healthy person, not -- functioning in the face of it and that is something i can do. >> you talk about -- she is strong. you tell a story how you have
2:08 pm
been a lawyer. you go home and cry, on the first night and the second night she is by the third night it is like shut up. >> exactly. >> stop playing the victim. not attractive. that did told me out of my self-pity party and she has been there, empathetic, you are being ridiculous, toughen up and it helps me, toughen up, buttercup sums up what i want to say to everyone in the millennial generation,
2:09 pm
>> are you bringing up your kids with the same values. >> i have thrown away my synapse participation trophy. it went in the garbage. i went to my daughter's school, we had the parent-teacher conference, what was your core message? i said you are not special. the teacher is like -- i mean it in the context i delivered it to you. three lines on it, like the next picasso. i try not to tell them they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. i don't tell them how extraordinary they are all the time. i am open-minded to extraordinary ines should it
2:10 pm
come along. >> something to your law career you became a lawyer in chicago and new york and after 10 years in law you write journal entries. i am more exciting, i need more than this. >> i put my journal entries, you can read them firsthand. if i included the real journal entries you would really get that. i was practicing law over tween 9 years. as a kid who came from upstate new york to be a lawyer. people have to take me seriously, i like this -- i am fierce and tough and serious,
2:11 pm
megyn kelly esquire. i was reluctant to walk away from it because it something to me, my self image. i really did bump head first into the brick wall of unhappiness and you get to the point you can't deny it anymore, you cannot deny your unhappiness like malaise and mediocrity are hard to get out of but when you are dreadfully unhappy i have to go, that is where i got it as a lawyer. >> how did you get sick of the idea of being a lawyer to a forecast journalist? >> i had always been interested in journalism but the new house of therapy i love to remind them of now. they don't care. it means something to me.
2:12 pm
so when i decided -- this is something i always wanted to do and wasn't able to do it but maybe i can do it now but it is not easy to jump into it, a career as a broadcast journalist so i was determined without the immediate plan, and in retrospect i feel like my father made that a hand in it because my dad with his guitar playing is a theme of the book. we never took a fancy family vacation which we went to lake ontario in new york and he played a guitar around the campfire and dance and sing so i tried to learn guitar and was taking guitar lessons once a week as an unhappy lawyer and low and behold a woman in my
2:13 pm
guitar class with a producer for the nbc affiliate in chicago which i didn't even know, she missed class one weekend because the space shuttle had blown up and she came back and i said where were you? she said i am in dues. news? i believe in stuff like this. i feel like there is a reason i was in that guitar class, the reason i connected with this woman and this beautiful lovely woman who could sometimes be competitive and they don't always extend the hand of generosity and friendship to help another woman in a competitive industry in particular and happened to guys too, she is the opposite of that, had endless generosity for me and helped me make a resume tape and give tips on getting into the business and in 6 months i had my first tv job and in 12 months fox news hired me. >> the rewarding aspects of being a news anchor?
2:14 pm
>> i would say the most rewarding aspect is the responsibility they have given me and that i have earned. not so much speaking truth to power, it is being able to hold people in power accountable. that is the most rewarding aspect of it. you can ask hard questions and they have to deal with you. certainly in the position i am in they have 2. take donald trump. he avoided me for most of the year. that doesn't mean i didn't have a chance to hold him accountable. i did and hillary clinton, she never came on the kelly file, not once. it did not serve her well. that is my makeup artist clapping. she is on my side. anyway.
2:15 pm
that is the best part. the worst part, i would say the worst part is the security threat i had to face. as much as i try to avoid the online vitriol i get lots of it and i really hate it. i find that stuffs all killing -- soul killing. >> you went from being somebody who reports on the news to becoming -- it happened after you lost that question of the republican debate to donald trump about how he talked about women in the past. what happened? what happened before you asked that question? an extraordinary day you had? >> guest: one thing i reveal is the prequel to that question. and there was one. trump and i had always had a
2:16 pm
good relationship. we weren't friends but we were friendly and then i did something before the debate about his divorce, and it wasn't my story. of the story the daily beast had broken about his divorce 30 years ago. testified that he raped her. extremely brutal according to the testimony, extremely nasty and very detailed, the daily beast dredged this story up because trump came out in his announcement saying mexicans are saying rapists and the deadly beast said speaking of rape, that is why they went there. i point having it on the daily beast reporter on the kelly file was to tell the other side of the story and the challenge -- look. she recanted the testimony, does
2:17 pm
not stand by it. it was 30 years ago, contentious divorce proceeding in which people notoriously lie. how did you account for that reality in your reporting which i thought was not quite skeptical enough? i thought it was fair to trump because we were not dredging up his force. it wasn't of the daily beast, it is on everywhere. i put the guy on, challenged him. not happy. he was not happy i put the story on, that we gave it any airtime at all. and i called him before the thursday presidential debate. the kelly file that monday, he wouldn't unless i call in person. i called him and it did not go well. and he said you never should have put that story on your show. everybody was talking about that
2:18 pm
story without reporting she had recanted and all this other stuff. you never should have put their, bill o'reilly didn't put that on his show. bill o'reilly is not my editorial gauge. i never want to see that kind of story on your show again which i said mister trump, you don't control the editorial on the kelly file. that is when he blue. started screaming at you want to be ashamed of yourself, you are you disgrace. i almost brought my beautiful twitter account against you and i still may. >> bullying that is the first bullying you had since seventh grade. >> i don't know if i would classify that as bullying other than an angry politician which i am used to but the threat of the twitter account was clear. i already have that woman question drafted. i know i am asking this. it has been drafted for weeks. the opening round was electric,
2:19 pm
hard questioning for all of them. so now i am in a position where i know he is angry. he feels antagonized. he wasn't antagonized but he feels antagonized. he spent those four days trying to feel me out, what are you going to do about her? what is going to happen with her? no one ever told me he was trying to get be pulled from the debate but clearly he was focused on me. extraordinarily focused on me. i thought this would be the biggest story in the country of he a list the twitter account on me and use every fox executive in the building prior to the presidential debate. i was not at liberty to reveal that, what he had given me permission at that time to reveal, nor did i think it was appropriate.
2:20 pm
it was something where i didn't want to screw up the debate and even then i had the sense he might not show if he got angrier and i did not want that. then we had that thursday debate and the rest is history. >> host: the question, was there bullying that followed? the onslaught of attacks prompted by the twitter account, you were really put under a lot of pressure. >> guest: there was an attempt at bullying. if you look at the definition of bullying in the dictionary it talks about obtaining a desired effect. he did not obtain the desired effect. it is a credit to my team at the kelly file that he didn't because it was hard to pool the line night after night after
2:21 pm
night and not cover him too harshly because my life was being threatened and not cover him too gently because i wanted him to stop the nonsense or to please him. i made a promise to the audience after he came after me in august that i would continue to cover him without fear or favor which is a line from the new york times 100 years ago and it still works as a journalistic principal and i had a team of people that helped we do that and it was hard because the point i tried to make in the interview, the point i want others to know right now and why i included this in the book, when donald trump comes after you it isn't just a tweet. he is a fighter and the counterpunch her, i get all that.
2:22 pm
he had such power that a single tweet could unleash hell in somebody's life. i'm not even a civilian, i am a journalist. he put me on the playing field when i am on the sidelines. we can't have president trump link people out of the stands and doing this to them because they criticize him. most people don't work for a company that is $1 billion a year and can hire round-the-clock security for somebody like me, i am under armed guard for 16 months and my children have been under armed guard and it is not an appropriate price to pay for hard-hitting journalism. [applause]
2:23 pm
>> do you worry that in this era in which people object in the most extreme version to what you have been subjected to but every journalist i know who has covered this election campaign and had some milder form of what you have been through, there will be an effect that the powers that be are not held to account in the way they should be, this doesn't go to individual politicians, and followers turned on you. and not besieged by attacks, you are besieged by really vicious brutal misogynistic attacks. >> guest: i worry about younger reporters in a place with very
2:24 pm
little means. and that can't go on forever, security has to go away and your company can't foot that bill. you have to accept the reality of that threat but i will say this. the vast majority of donald trump supporters are not at all this way, not at all. i have millions watching the kelly file every night and i know so many people out there say i love donald trump and i love you too. i don't like your first question to him, they can hold their ideas, there is a far corner of the internet. there was a man who works for donald trump whose job it is
2:25 pm
sister these people up, that man needs to stop doing that. his name is dan savino. [applause] >> host: the fact that it is anonymous allows people to be that much more vicious. if people added names to the things they write they were not right half the things they say. >> guest: you can ignore it but when it crosses over to physical threats you have to do something. >> host: do you watch your show at home when broadcast? >> guest: not usually. i don't get home until 11:30 or midnight. my husband doug is still awake. we talk about our kids and how the show went which i don't usually watch it unless there is
2:26 pm
something bad on it. i turn on the tivo, we screwed that up. be change when have you felt imposter syndrome and how did you overcome it? >> guest: that is an interesting question. i feel like i haven't really self-confidence problems in my life. i do think it is a gift of my parents realism, the honesty but i never had an experience where i thought i was good at something it wasn't. i assumed i was mediocre at most. if it turned out i was better than mediocre i will pursue this. i would say when i was a lawyer i was not the smartest lawyer in the ranks. i was up against harvard law school graduates, people first in their class and they have
2:27 pm
special brains, they just do. i would work 10 times harder than anybody so that i could hang and i did hang. i was right there with them but it was exhausting. i would say socially, socially, don't know how i want to put this. i have some insecurity socially. i read in the book how sheryl sandberg and i became friends and she knew i was going after the most powerful women conference and she wasn't going to be there but would be there the next day, wanted me to meet these great women, i connect by email and you should meet these women in the bar the friday before the saturday conference, great. these are really powerful women, luminaries in business so now comes a time to walk into the bar and meet up with the women and walking through the bar
2:28 pm
thinking -- i am thinking to myself know what is going to stop me because they don't really want me. that is what i am thinking to myself. has this ever happened to you? right? one of the problems is people look at somebody like me and think it never happened to her, on some basic level we all have the same sort of social challenges, worked challenges or doubts, i walked into the bar, nobody stops me and i had to work up the courage to walk back through the bar the other way and nobody stopped me. i tried, going back to my hotel room. and then, i was disappointed in myself but he didn't try harder to make a connection and the next day i sat like this with cheryl at the conference and she
2:29 pm
interviewed me and i told that story and all the women i was supposed to meet up with our in the audience and the most extraordinary thing happens. my email list up with all those women saying we didn't see you. we would have loved to have seen you. let's pick another date, it was so sincere and i believe that and i thought yes. sometimes you are your own worst enemy and socially i would say i play more of those games been professionally. >> you talk in the book when you start in journalism about going to therapy and it is related to this. there is a bit where you say you wanted to be in vulnerable and women don't surround themselves with other women who project only strengthened no humanity and i think it was roger ailes who said to you you were trying
2:30 pm
to be too perfect and i always think of television as an x-ray. you can tell somebody is that if you are faking it everybody is going to know but you had to learn something. >> this is the aha moment of the book and the beginning of my decision to settle for more in my life and more means more from your self. it doesn't mean more money or more good, it means more from your self. i had gotten to fox news and made it to broadcast television as a professional living in the messaging that started to come in to me from all different circles was the same. first i had a negative experience with someone in the fox news bureau, a woman and britt hume saw me and he was my mentor and kind and he pulled me in and said do you know what your problem is? you are just as vulnerable as anybody else but you project 0
2:31 pm
vulnerabilities of people think they can hurt you. or they try to and think they can do it with impunity and roger ailes had me up to his office and he said love the whole package, the voice, everything. now who is the real you? i was like what do you mean? is still the post bullying me, the protective shell. you can't hurt me. i am fine, i am good, screw you. this is the first time somebody was asking me to take off the shell which is scary and then i was seeing a therapist because i was considering leaving my first husband who i have a lovely relationship with to this day, we are still friends, he remarried, had three kids, i remarried, have three get but i was struggling with that decision. i started see a therapist who is referred to in the book as my lady amy, who saved me.
2:32 pm
and she offered me the same challenge, she was seeing the same thing and wanted me to go to a woman's group, she wanted me to see her one time a weekend go to a women's group and how screwed up am i? just twice a week? i was on tv, and megan kelly from fox news -- it was amazing. and they were so brutally honest with me and i was honest with them and it was extraordinary and i write about this in more detail in the book but one night i came in, women at fox were going out for a drink and didn't ask me to go with them. my feelings were so hurt. it was like a posse where they ring you up and said -- am i the only one who feels they don't the? maybe there is something about me they don't want. i did feel that again and i went to the women's group to say they
2:33 pm
were outside the door, talking about happy hour and they didn't ask me and i thought there would be a soft shoulder to cry on but what i got was something better, the one woman in the group, through tears, said to me i wouldn't have invited you either. i was like why? she barely even knew me. she told me why. she told me it was the final exclamation point on what i heard from britt and roger and what i was trying to send in my own life which is what you project is offputting and kind of intimidating and not that likable. and she said honestly, i feel like i would have nothing to relate to, that you never have a
2:34 pm
bad hair day. you always have it together. you are little miss perfect which is one of the chapter titles. for so many years i would have heard that and said it is working. that year, 2005 to 2006, was the beginning of my recognition that that was not working for me which is a very self-defeating defense mechanism i have been using for years. i am happy to tell you that through a lot of hard work i did get the shell off and i it is the reason i found doug, my husband and three kids with him that i have now. the reason i have true friendships in my life in a way i struggled with earlier, i absolutely believe it is the secret to my success as a broadcaster. >> host: which brings us to this question. you always seem so poised.
2:35 pm
how do you maintain? she really is not. that is a myth. when she came out here -- >> guest: i have learned to control my temper. i am irish catholic. the other half is italian. my makeup artist you get to know in the book, she is no shrinking violet. i am able to control my temper. that is the key. it is okay to feel emotional or tears coming on but the same is true when you are angry. i have moments on the set. sure you can think of some. and don't get angry, don't get angry but i am angry. i am not a monkey, don't have to
2:36 pm
act on instinct. i will talk my way through it. >> host: roger ailes is hovering around the edge of the conversation. let's bring him in, the revelation you have in the book that you talk about this time is your relationship with roger. i should point out when you first met roger he was a great mentor to you. he really helped you at fox. this is hard to tell somebody you are trying to be too perfect and you are trying to change in order to connect but we think you are great. he was responsible for launching your career and the relationship changed. >> guest: important to leave the good things about roger in the book even though chapter 24 has become known in my circles, friends and family, second to last chapter was because of the
2:37 pm
scandal broke late and had a decision to make, do i try to scrub the book of kind references to him? i too was learning about him when i was writing chapter 24. that is dishonest because roger ailes is not all bad and he is not all good and the long and the short of it is the chapter of which i am almost most proud, the one i worked the hardest on. i wrote that chapter and i rewrote that chapter and i rewrote that chapter 1000 times so every word in that chapter has been poured over by my husband doug and close friends i dared to show it to judge you will see the complete picture when i read it and i urge you to do that because i made sure to tell the whole story and
2:38 pm
context. i have done all these interviews that have been so annoying where they just want to punch you. why didn't you come forward earlier? can i swear here? fuck you for saying that. honestly, you don't get to ask me why i didn't come forward until you ask me whether there was a safe avenue for reporting at my company and only if the answer to that is yes may you ask me the next question. [applause] >> guest: that is the headline. the story is i joined fox news, my dream job. i have only been working part-time in television, gave me a great opportunity and 12 months into my tenure he called me to new york, sat me down, gave me great advice including who is the real you, and the untold part of that meeting and
2:39 pm
others like it was it would be coupled with highly inappropriate sexual references. i don't speak the queen's english as you see. that was for you. >> host: you had to make sure i got it. >> guest: i have a body sense of humor. i don't offend that easily. my mother loves dirty jokes. i don't offend easily. and parts of it, this is just sort of don't be too uptight and he would cross these lines, that is inappropriate by any measure. you know when that happened. i didn't to go there. i included enough to decide
2:40 pm
whether it was sexual harassment. it is unambiguous. people don't want to be told, they want to see the evidence and judge for themselves which it was a terrifying six months because i understood my career was on the line. there was no way i would do anything with him. this is going to end disastrously. i was dancing the dance, back to work. that works okay for me and i could get out of there. all the women shaking their heads yes, guys having a different reaction to this than
2:41 pm
women in my life which 90% is too hi of women have experiences in one way, shape or form. really? it did culminate in a physical attempt to be with me in his office. i am not the megyn kelly of today. i have no power. he was on the cover of industry magazines is the most powerful man in news. i didn't want to blow up my relationship with him. i wanted to have a good relationship. i was doing well at fox news. i was performing well, earning my strength, wanted that to be the standard by which i was judged. as soon as we have a physical confrontation, and did not do anything and ran out of his office and hired a lawyer and for the record i did tell a
2:42 pm
supervisor, which is what you are supposed to do? long story short, years went by, i would look for other women, i found one and the timeline happened. he is not a bad man, when gretchen's lawsuit with his i wasn't sure about that one. and former fox news employees, and and duct an internal review.
2:43 pm
no on-air talent. not my friend capable of the daily beast, and and in this way to address, the blonde hair down, sneakers on, fallen off the monkey bars, and back on top of the monkey bars. this will not happen to one more woman at fox news ever?
2:44 pm
i told them to get a general counsel on the phone. i told them about what happened to me ten years earlier. i told them the good and the bad, i didn't want them to think he was a monster. i wanted them to know this is real and you need to take an honest look at his behavior. just an honest review. there was nothing there, i would exonerate him. he would only himself to blame. that is where things wound up. >> host: awful stuff about harassment in the campaign. i think 90% have gone through something similar at some point in their lives and the tendency has always been questions like
2:45 pm
you have, that was the problem. blaming the victim has to stop. >> guest: the question of how we look. >> host: as if that were mostly women. >> guest: when he was harassing me, i still looked like the lawyer megyn kelly. i had on my long pants and my navy gray, brown and black suits. i had not been foxifithe did the. >> host: even if you look the way you do this evening it is not okay. >> host: looking at us with cute eyelashes and dresses, you asked for it. fuck you for saying that. it has nothing to do with how you dress look. >> host: the women in canada, the writer, one of the most uplifting, one of the few uplifting parts of a long and
2:46 pm
exhausting campaign. access hollywood tape came out with donald trump, he is a writer in canada, please write in if you have had instances of sexual harassment in the course of your life, tens of thousands of women. that was the conversation that needed to be have. hope we don't drop it. >> guest: my story has a lot of attention because i had just written a book. the women of fox news who don't have a primetime show. found the nerve to walk into paul weiss, believing he would be there boss. those women want their
2:47 pm
anonymity. those with a truly courageous once. >> host: much harder then it sounds. the kelly file at 9:00, we can carry on gabbing. everyone is in the process, the contract is up. what does megan kelly once more of. there is something i love more. doug and i are good. he is a writer. and we can see each other.
2:48 pm
i am pretty occupied -- and missing too much of my children's childhood. and three are newborn. i have the whole day with them and go to work at 3:30 or 4:00 at midnight. we are aging and they are 7, 5, and 3. two out of my three go to school at 8:13 and don't get home until i'm walking out the door. that is not acceptable to me.
2:49 pm
i have said this to my employers, can i find a way to work with my schedule at fox or continue to do the kelly file and see my children? if the answer is no then i will have to make a different decision. they are most important. >> host: megyn kelly, thank you very much. >> guest: thank you all so much for coming. [applause]
2:50 pm
[inaudible conversations] >> this weekend booktv gives you two days of nonfiction books and authors and here's what is coming up. is i think the future out to the liberals recognizing the success of his administration, embracing it as a model and even to get going forward the way you do with lincoln, obama on that
2:51 pm
scale is the closest thing we have in american history to that kind of success and should be defended by americans from the center to the left. >> host: from townhall seattle, radio host michael medved on the role religion has played through history and his latest book the american miracle, divine providence to the rise of the republic. go to booktv.org for the complete weekend schedule. [inaudible conversations] >> good evening and welcome to today's eating of the commonwealth club of california. i am elizabeth carney, chair of the club leadership forum and your host for today's program which is entitled how wall

48 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on