Skip to main content

tv   Democracy  CSPAN  June 3, 2017 5:30pm-6:37pm EDT

5:30 pm
we are fractionalizing media because of the digital revolution where it is possible to think and echo chambers of people we agree with. narrow casting becomes a smart strategy and i think it would be a big generation project and we need to do right by the next generation. >> "after words" airs on booktv every saturday at 10:00 p.m. and sunday at 9:00 p.m. eastern. you can watch all previous programs on our website booktv.org. [inaudible conversation [inaudible conversations] >> ladies and gentlemen, please welcomeleeza rice.
5:31 pm
[applause] >> good evening, everyone. i have the honor of being the executive director of the ronald reagan presidential foundation and i want to thank all of you for coming out this evening. would you please stand and join me for the pledge of allegiance? i pledge allegiance to the flag of the united states of america, and to the republic, for which it stands, one nation under god, indivisible, with liberty and
5:32 pm
justice for all. please be seated. before we get started i would like to recognize just a couple people in the audience. [applause] >> as well, we have another couple that is here with us and much of the greatness you see here at the reagan library and at the new offices we have opened in washington have made possible through their generosity. i just want to point out harry
5:33 pm
krole. harry? [applause] >> i don't know a book has ever been written that included instructions on how to best introduce the author. i wish there was. it isn't a bad idea because the introducer follows the instruction of the manual carefully like you put together a bike on christmas eve. all the pieces of the introduction would fit in place and when you finish there wouldn't be a single extra bolt or nut on the floor for the bike or flattery for the author left lying there unused. now, what did such manner to company democracy dr. rice's
5:34 pm
recent best selling work. part one, consider yourself extremely fortunate it would say. dr. rice is one of the most respected and admired women in the world with a public service record second to none. the fact she is sitting with me prepared to discuss her newest book. and part two, in someone with the stature of dr. rice during a former visit in favor of an opportunity to be interviewed on stage take it. the audience gathered before you would probably like to hear from dr. rice not all about dr. rice. i don't think i needed an
5:35 pm
instruction manual to figure that out. i have been honored to greet dr. rice here at the reagan library. once she was here with her me memoir about her life and family and once more when she just pinned "no higher arms" and m o memoir about her years of being the first woman to serve as national security advisor to the president and the first african-american woman to serve as secretary of state. her newest work is a book i think any decent instruction manual company would clearly state dr. rice has to write. the subject matter goes far beyond her personal memoir and into the realm of how she thinks democracy can and must play a fundamental role in the lives of people all over the world. when i say it is a book she had
5:36 pm
to write i mean this. i think she detected years ago someone needed to frame for the american people in freedom around the globe how it is democracy should be understood in the context of a confusing world order or disordered case. from the time the united states and several allies set in motion to defeat saddam hussein to the present day where american soldiers and diplomats for fighting for the rights of parliament around the world the fundamental action is in the interest of the united states to promote institutions from wherever you need. the questions dr. rice had to answer over the years such as can democracy prevail where it hasn't been before, is it fright
5:37 pm
every culture? how might we gauge or benchmark its progress? it is evident these questions and others like them have been the center of inquire of dr. rice's world. her book knows a long way in answering them but before you read the book i know you will first enjoy hearing about it from the author herself. with that, ladies and gentlemen, if you would join me in conversation on stage at the reagan library with dr. condoleezza rice. [applause] >> well, madam secretary, on behalf of our board of trustees
5:38 pm
ask all of your fans here, we want to welcome you and know you at the end of the long trip on the road to discuss your book and we cannot thank you enough for coming to the reagan library. >> thank you very much, john. thank you for your leadership here. i want to thank you all for joining us for this conversation but i want to say there is no place i would rather be than the reagan library to talk about freedom. [applause] >> i thought someone has to get out there and describe how demomeracy is around the world no matter how difficult it might be.
5:39 pm
>> i think it may be back a long ways. when i think about democracy it is a mysterious thing that people are willing to trust abstractions and willing to go to the polls and let people represent them rather than going into the streets and binding to family or clan or religion they trust constitutions and rule of law. i think as a child growing up in birmingham, alabama i was perhaps one who very early on saw something more mysterious. i saw in segregated birmingham, alabama where you could not go to a restaurant or movie theater if you were a black citizen. i saw black citizens still
5:40 pm
devoted to the institutions of american democracy. i have one incident in the book that encapsulates it for me. i was six-ish years old and my uncle, my mother's brother, picked me up from school and it was election day. there were long lines of black people waiting to vote and i said to my uncle this must mean that man george wallace can't win. i knew in my own 6-year-old way he didn't want him to win. and my uncle said we are minorities so he is going to win. i looked at my uncle and said then why do they bother and my uncle said because they know one day that vote will matter. as i went around the world as secretary of state and saw long
5:41 pm
lines of people voting sometimes for the first time told myself they know one day that vote will matter. we are blessed with this extraordinary gift of democracy. americans in particular were blessed with founding fathers who understood an institutional design that would protect our liberties and right to say what we think and worship as we please and be free from the police at night and have the dignities that come with having those governing you to ask for consent. if we were blessed by that and in doubt with our creator, it can't be true for us and not them. and one of the marvelous legacies of the united states of america and the building in which we sit, the library in which we sit, the most marvelous
5:42 pm
ones of ronald reagan was he never forgot our obligation to speak for the voiceless. he never forgot our obligation to do the right thing in supporting those who just wanted the simple freedoms we had. and he delivered because he believed that the united states of america is an idea and it is an idea that is universal and so that is why i wanted to write this book. [applause] >> when you were secretary of state, you were in a position to know the world's opinion of the united states and its action.
5:43 pm
it has been only a hundred days since we have had the trump administration in power. i wonder if you will speak to has there been any change in your mind as to how americans are viewed as we transition from president obama to president trump? >> i was in europe not too long after the election. the first thing i said to my friends in europe was just settle down. the united states of is engaging in a little bit of a democratic experiment. we just elected somebody who has never been in government before, who has never even sniffed the government before and that president is going to take some time. there is a bit of a learning curve. but the one thing you can trust is that america has institutions
5:44 pm
that are absolutely firm and will hold america in check. if you look at the president, i think he is getting used to the fact it isn't as easy as it looks in there. that the american presidency is not just one person. it is an institution. it is a constrained institution. the founding fathers were terrified of executive power. they were leaving a king and didn't want to create another one. they created a congress, two houses, as separate and equal branch of government. that is article one as the constitution will constantly remind you when you are in the executive branch. and today that congress is made up of 583 people who think they should be president of the united states. he has court which he learned will challenge the president. he has governors, 50 of them, half of whom think they should
5:45 pm
be president of the united states, and they have legislatures. by the way, he has the press as well, civil society and americans who are ungovernable. so, the job of getting to be president is one thing. once you are there it is quite another. the learning curve has been steep but i think we have seen things that really the world likes in what they see in america. i think that decision to strike the syrian air base after the chemical weapons attack on assad on his own people was an important corrective. we had laid out a red line four or five years ago, it had been crossed and we had done nothing. that eroded american credibility. and in that single strike, the administration said this far and no further. there are some things that are intolerable and i saw something
5:46 pm
else in the way the president said. he said i couldn't sit by and watch babies choking on chemical gas. what he was really saying is as president of the united states i cannot sit by and watch babies choking on chemical gas. i think it is still a lot of water to pass under that bridge. we are still learning in many, many ways what it is like to get up and not just react every time. but some very good things have happened. the one thing i will say as an american is we have only one president at a time. we have to do everything we can to try to make our president b successful and that is what i say. [applause]
5:47 pm
>> i when you talk about democracy it is extremely important were the yoouunited ss and we need to set the example were the rest of the world if we promote they too implement democracy. i am wondering if there is an instance or two, not just during the trump administration, certainly going back last decade or two, when you would think america really messed up and set the wrong example and we could have known better and should have known better? >> we do it all the time. democracies are not perfect. america is not perfect. one of the sad and hardest moments for be was abu grave in iraq because it was a stain on
5:48 pm
one of our greatest institutions. the fact we have men and women who val volunteer to defend us at the front lines of freedom is just extraordinary gift. it is an absolute gift. and a few people acting badly casts a thin cloud on the commitment of men and women who do the right thing. i felt terrible at that moment. but i also say to people wherve something like that, when we have a katrina and we don't respond as well as we might i say to people abroad that is why america is a good example. as madison said i didn't think
5:49 pm
the constitution would be the work of perfect men. imperfection is a part of the human condition. the fact that the united states has been struggling with our imperfections every since by the way our birth defect of slavery. we were born with an imperfection. a constitution that originally counted maya my ancestors as th fifth a man. but i would take that same oath and sworn in by a jewish supreme court justice who is a woman. we say we keep striving. we get up every day and try to do a little better and that is what democracy is all about. it is always a work in progress. [applause]
5:50 pm
>> turn to russia and a few other countries for a moment. we seem to have real predicaments on our hands and a few that really do feel like have been accelerated in the last hundred days from the declining relations with russia and the expansion tendency with iran and funding of terrorist actions and north korea access to long range missiles. is there one of those examples where you would say this one rises above all the rest? if we can't fix this we have a huge problem on our hands. sfwl >> yes, let me say president trump has an outstanding national security team. rex tillerson is a really fine secretary of sta secretary of state. some of us who wanted to see him become secretary of state understood the president needed
5:51 pm
a different kind of secretary of state. the oil men know the world like nobody else. they have to live and deal with long tail investments deal with difficult people and difficult places. jim mattis is one of the best commanders and hr mcmaster is one of the same. any national security team would struggle with the north korean problem. i think it is the single most dangerous problem we have got. i was the secretary of state who tried to negotiate with the north koreans to get them to give up their chemical weapapow. that was kim jong-un, the father. i think junior is unhinged and when he says things like i can destroy the united states i hope
5:52 pm
he doesn't really believe that. he is also reckless. anybody who will reach into malaysia to kill his half brother with gas and by all reports his half brother was under chinese protection. so he is reckless, probably a little unhinged and they made a lot of progress in their nuclear programs. you have to have three elements to have a usable nuclear weapon. you have to have fuel and they have been harvesting for a long time. when people say it is easy to make a nuclear weapon it isn't easy. the bomb design has to hold the material in critical mass until the moment you want to hit and explode it. when you read in the newspapers that the north korean tests are not getting very good yield that means it is exploding
5:53 pm
prematurely. but they are getting better at it, working and pretty soon they will get to the place where they can explode it when they want to. then they can affix it to the third element which is the delivery vehicle. what is worrying people is their delivery vehicles are getting longer in range. and i don't know whether president trump is being hold it is one year or three years or five years, my guess is someplace three to five years he will be able to marry that weapon to an intercontinental ballistic missile. so what do you do about it? the only country that has influence with the north korean's is probably china but the chinese have always been more fearful of the collapse of the regime than of a newborn
5:54 pm
nuclear regime. they could do a lot. they could close the border, deny them fuel oil. the chinese could really hurt the regime but the chinese have to be convinced they could do whatever it is they need to stop the regime. the we will is kind of ugly because if you wabt want to look at military options you are looking at soule which is vulnerable and close to the border and the north koreans could do a lot of damage very quickly there. the options are not very good. it is complicated by the new president in south korea who is a man of the left who has said we ought to be negotiating with the north koreans.
5:55 pm
trust me, i tried that. they walked away. we are going to have to find a way to protect south korea and protect japan because no president can let the north koreans be able to reach the united states with a knuckler weapon.
5:56 pm
first of all i know vladimir putin well. i spent time with him. he kind of liked me. i was a russian us. he thought they would get more attention. now that your secretary of state will get to do it. so he was sitting there and says condi, you know us. russia has only been great when it has been ruled by great and like peter the great and alexander the second. now, every bone in your body wants to say do you mean vladimir, the great. your secretary of state, that would be rude. you can't say that. but that is who he thinks he is. he thinks his reuniting the russian people in greatness. he is avenging the humiliation
5:57 pm
of the cold war and the collapse of the soviet union. so what if it means you take someone's territory like crimea. so what if you make eastern ukraine ungovernable because the russians are backing ukrainian separatists who are killing ukraine every day. so be it if you five obama runs along the coast of sweden. what to the swedes due to the russians? lee's last 300 years, nothing. he does something really dangerous, russian pilots fly close to american ships and planes. and so he is going to push until he is stop. president obama did a good thing into play rotating forces in the baltic states and poland. that's a signal that article five of the nato treaty that attack on one is a tack on all. rotating will do.
5:58 pm
we need to also say to putin, stop flying within 10 feet of our planes because one of your guys is going to get shut down really soon. so stop doing it. they're doing very dangerous things and we need to send strong signals. i also are in the ukrainians. people defend the right to defend themselves. to be fair, the ukrainians are not great militarily so you need to be careful in what you give them. something that they can hurt themselves. but, i do think you should arm them for the final thing and something the president has done, rebuilding the american military budget is a signal for those years of sequestration have been tough.
5:59 pm
>> from a land perspective is there one nation that is most particularly at risk improvement strategy? >> he'll try to dismember ukraine. that's what he's trying to do. they tried to assassinate the prime minister montenegrin. the putin is perfectly happy with frozen conflicts. he doesn't have to have all the territory. you can just make it ungovernable. he can sit in places a make george uncomfortable as a whole. even in syria, as long as a sauce is in power, so what if a third of it is on governable. that is the game he plays. crimea was a little different. one thing we need to understand but crimea, i have liberal russian friends for whom the crimea siege was the right thing
6:00 pm
to do. crimea was russian from catherine the great. then, and 54 they gave crimea to ukraine as a symbol of ukrainian russian friendship. but it was all the soviet union. so they say when it became independent they should have given it back and we said that's not the way it works. it is a violation of international law and we can never recognize the russian annexation of crimea. but we need to be aware among russians is not an unpopular thing to have done. it actually added to putin's popularity. but he can be stopped. you have to be firm. >> was put in charge, if i recall correctly you are fairly pessimistic about russia itself
6:01 pm
with putin in charge. i assume there's no hope for democratic institutions to thrive with him in charge. >> he managed to systematic dismantle those institutions. when you think about institutional design you want an executive that is not so strong because it's check by other power centers. verse yeltsin was the first to rush mess this up. they had a functioning legislative and he got frustrated and started ruling and now that strong russian presidency under yeltsin is one thing and that under putin is quite another. there's always a sliver of hope. when ronald reagan said mr. gorbachev, tear down that wall i don't know if he really thought it was going to happen. authoritarian regimes are
6:02 pm
brittle. and putin is, right now in a position to rule because there is no organized opposition to him and he is making sure that. but a few weeks ago people flooded into the streets of moscow to protest corruption. still online bloggers are still protesting government actions. so there is something slightly live underneath. another thing is the russian people are different than they were in the soviet union. the 25 years since the collapse doesn't matter. when i first went there and 79 russia has looked and now they travel, they send their kids to study abroad.
6:03 pm
they spoil their children at toys "r" us and buy the furniture at ikea and putin is not there guy. somewhere along here someone might emerge to be a focal point for that constituency. but before we get carried away with the new liberal russia the other potential opposition could come from the harder right. there is an even more culture nationalists and orthodox side that even putin tries to keep under control. so i worry about russia. the place i think has great potential but unfortunately the institutions are not there right now. >> on the refugee front president trump has lost now twice in his attempt to have better vetting of refugees
6:04 pm
coming from syria and i wondered if his policies that he attempted to put into place actually survived judicial review and they were in place? to think that was substantially improve our national security or is it much to do about nothing? >> the executive order as it was redrafted, the first one was not so great as evidence of a white house that did not have its act together they did things like banning green card holders which is not legal but the second one probably is the right target. there are few countries in the world that are on governance spaces. yemen, libya, somalia, sudan, we don't really have the ability to vet people from there on the ground because if we have
6:05 pm
embassies there are small and under constant siege. so policy that says you're going to need more thorough vetting from those countries and iraq should have been taken off the list. that will take the time, step back and see, think that would have made sense. unfortunately because the way the first executive order came out and poison the well for what would have been a sensible positive policy. we'll see what happens in the courts. if they want to improve and increase the vetting they can probably do it without an executive order, just put more agents on the job if somebody wants to get a visa don't let them get it in sudan, make them go to another country.
6:06 pm
there are other ways to do this. i do think it's a problem. >> this related to president trumps and what he really feels about the potential from the united states when he talks about an american first policy i'm betting there's a large percentage of our audience here that might think some on the left and right that it's a waste of our tax dollars and why would we putting money into foreign aid so the question is coming from a former secretary of state, do you think there is a foreign aid argument that is really important for the american people to grasp? >> for me at the same argument i would make about democracy and promoting democracy.
6:07 pm
you can say that will pay attention to our own affairs. we have to rebuild our bridges in pennsylvania so i are we building them in afghanistan you consider schools are not in great shape so where which trying to send girls to school in nigeria. but, i think there are two powerful arguments against that thinking. one is a moral argument one is a practical one. the moral argument is this, america is an idea. if life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are universal and good for us than it can't be good for us and not for them. we are at our best when we leave from power in principle. the principal that no man, woman, child should have to live in poverty and the worst of
6:08 pm
circumstances because we are also a compassionate nation that actually believes that as many problems as we have we been giving an extraordinary bounty. if you go to some places in the world, i don't care how bad it looks in the united states of america, it's much worse. how can you turn a blind eye to the children playing in the dirt in haiti? how can you turn a blind eye to e bola pandemic in iberia? we are too good to be that way. the moral argument is i am christian and i have been told that what you do for the least of my brothers, you do for me. whatever your tradition is and wherever that impulse comes from for compassion, america has had it and we have to keep it.
6:09 pm
now the practical case. democratic states that can for their own people do not fight with their neighbors, they don't traffic in the human sex trade so women and up and brothels in eastern europe and southeast asia. they don't harbor terrorists as a matter of state policy. they don't fight each other. it's called the democratic peace. so there is a reason that we have believed we are better off when other people beyond our borders can live with decent governments and try to take care of them. as for foreign assistance i think there was a time when foreign aid was given strategically, the soviet union was given money so we gave money
6:10 pm
to someone else. but those days have been gone for a long time. if you look at some of the foreign aid programs we now run, the millennium challenge is a good example. says to countries, you will receive large foreign aid packages from the united states only if you're governing wisely, fighting corruption, and investing in your people. if you are doing those things then we will give you foreign aid. an example, -- wanted a millennial challenge, contract. a lot of farms in the third world are quite inefficient because they're very small. one of the problems in combining his nobody knows what the title is so they're going to do land titling. there is a law in the books that woman cannot hold land in their own name.
6:11 pm
so the united states said, if you want to see a dime of this assistance you will change that law and they change the law. so when you go abroad and look at what america has done an aids relief for humanitarian crisis for the programs that we run all over the world, where the largest donor food aid, you recognize the most powerful country in the world ought to be the most compassionate. it is good for us to because when you create responsible sovereigns that acts in the international system that enhances prosperity and security we're all better off. foreign aid is next inexpensive way for having us intervene in more ways like military force.
6:12 pm
americans think that foreign assistance is about 25% of the federal budget. it is less than one and a half percent. about half of that goes to the promotional.democracy and improving the lives of people. [applause] >> i have two more questions that i invite the audience to raise your hand if you have a question. there is adoration that follows you everywhere and you will know in the last two decades everywhere you go people ask would you please run for the presidency. [applause]
6:13 pm
>> you said no. i just wonder if it's the kind of thing now if you've reached a point in your career when you say no you really mean it or to not say no. >> i really mean it. you have to know your dna. i really admire people who run for office and i don't think the process it's too tough, it should be tough. i can remember being in campaigns with george w. bush and at the end of the day he was ready to go and i just wanted to get back to the hotel. so i love doing public service and will keep doing it. i'm involved in education reform which i think is extremely important to our country.
6:14 pm
without that we will not be very strong. i work with the boys and girls club's. [applause] and i am busy teaching millennial's. they're the most wonderful, the most public minded kids in my 30 plus years of teaching, but they also are the kids who got the participation trophy for soccer. so they are slightly fragile but yet they are the funniest combination of fragile and hyper confident because they were told so my favorite two lines i want to be a leader and i say no that's not a destination or job description. so what are you going to know so someone might want you to leave
6:15 pm
and my other favorite one, i want my first job to be meaningful. i say your first job is going to be meaningful. what will be meaningful as someone will pay you to do something for the first time in your life. that will be meaningful. [applause] so i have work to do at stanfo stanford. [laughter] the final question for me. what can anyone in the audience to to influence foreign affairs? if so much opinion and interest in the topic that involves america's relationship with the rest of the world the people are incredibly frustrated what decisions we might make. cerny advice you can give to
6:16 pm
someone with there's actually something that people can get involved in the they feel like they make a difference. >> many thanks, you're not going to have an effect on what we do in syria most likely. those are decisions that we have elected people to represent us to take on those tough decisions. when you look at the united states of america and the range of things we do across the world, much of what we deliver for the world is through volunteers and through civil society. if you care about girls education worldwide, i guarantee there's a nongovernmental organization dealing with that problem. if you care about the march of islamic extremism. i guarantee their organizations trying to find reconciliation between the great religions and
6:17 pm
are trying to help people find a better way. if you care about what is happening to people who live in places where religious freedom is not permitted i guarantee their faith-based institutions finding a way to get bibles to people so they can practice their faith. the one thing we forget is that not all of art democracy is practiced in washington, thank goodness. much is practiced in the states, that's why the founding fathers give us federalism. and much is practiced in civil society. what democracy in america was written the author noticed voluntary associations of americans. he said they just get together
6:18 pm
voluntarily to do good things. he couldn't quite understand it. where the most individualistic people in the face of the earth. you violate my rights now take it to the supreme court. brown versus board of education anniversary was yesterday. but we do get together to do good things and we would know those associations today is the red cross or the boys and girls club or rotary club. that is had international component too. my own view is that work makes america much stronger abroad than even the things we do with our military power and economic wealth. there are many ways to be involved internationally. and by the way, being informed is very important. in the day when social media
6:19 pm
matters in congress is listening for opinions, informed opinions would be nice. [applause] >> so we would like to turn to the audience for questions. please raise your hand and wait until someone brings the microphone so we can hear the question and also on television. >> i'm curious as to what your feelings are with regards to the tinderbox that is the presence on israeli northern border of 100,000 missiles in the iranian proxy army. where does that fit in to say north korea and others? >> it's a very bad situation. but it is one that has two
6:20 pm
things going. is really military strength and american deployments of missile defenses that help protect israel. both the gaza and the sinai have become quite dangerous. the gaza from a terrace perspective and you also have the northern border between syria and lebanon which supplies has below. these are tender boxes. variable to cut off the southern border i getting searing forces out and getting the lebanese army in. the way we deal with that problem is help protect israelis. they are militarily capable. they are excellent in terms of their intelligence and that is the reason you see fewer
6:21 pm
incidents in that area. the problem with north korea's we don't have that fix on the problem. >> thank you. i know you do not want to be president. but how can you help out this beautiful state? [applause] >> here we do need help. first of all we can keep living beyond our means and trying to raise taxes as a means of covering the fact that we have pensions that are unsustainable and so on. at some point california is going to have to blow the whistle on the budget gains going on in sacramento. we have other issues in california. i think k-12 education is a
6:22 pm
disaster for poor kids. i'm a major proponent of school choice for the following reasons. we have an opt out system of public education. if you are well off you will move to district where the schools are good. that's why houses are expensive in virginia and alabama and palo alto, you name the place, you know where the schools are if we you are really well off you'll send kids to private school. so who is stuck in failing neighborhood schools? poor, minority kids. and some poor parents art doe dysfunctional but some just don't have choices. the next time i read an editorial in the l.a. times the washington post about how charters in school choice and
6:23 pm
vouchers are bad for the public school system i want to say, send your kids to school outside of washington or east oakland when you have done in you can talk about keeping poor parents from school choice. but don't send your kids and then say we should not have choice for poor parents. this is one california could lead. [applause] >> let me just say that you are my hero. [applause] in a day and age were there so much talk about the challenges for women the challenges for minority, i am looking for you to help share what you think are
6:24 pm
the attributes that will help us as women those of us who are interested in the millennial's that can be productive and contribute and not feel entitled. i work with millennial's and do staff development, women in leadership is important to me. i would take your top five attributes in a heartbeat. >> let me say that i grew up in a particular way. i was lucky to grow up in segregated birmingham alabama. my parents had me believing that i couldn't have a hamburger the counter but i could be anything i wanted including president, secretary of state, whatever now the way they did that was interesting. they had two important mantras and i now repeat these to my
6:25 pm
students. one is you have to be twice as good. they met this is armor against present prejudice. but if you work hard enough to think you might be twice as good you're going to be confident. nobody can throw you off your horse. secondly they said there are no victims. because the minute you describe yourself as a victim you've given control of your life to someone else. you might not control your circumstances you can control your response. then they would say, your armor is going to be a high-quality education and they had several others, my father was a 70 doesn't want to sit next to you because you're black, that doesn't matter. as long as they move. [applause] and what he was saying is don't
6:26 pm
let somebody else's prejudice bring you down. so i say to young women and minorities but also to my white male students, don't internalize somebody else's prejudices about you reviews about you. be confident in yourself. i think social media has contributed to this. i heard someone say to a group of young people, don't compare your actual life to someone else's virtual life. they read on social media and everybody is perfect on social media. i think they are internalizing now this sense of agreement and i cannot achieve and succeed. and we need to say life is not so easy but if you're prepared
6:27 pm
you can get there. the final thing i would say in terms of women leave leadership as we have this idea about mentors and role models. had i been waiting for a black female role model, your role models and mentors have to be people who you admire. mine were white males. they dominated my field there were people who saw things in me that i do not see myself. when you find those you'll be able to navigate in the ups and downs whatever color or gender you are. i just think i was fortunate but i parents that under difficult circumstances never let me off
6:28 pm
the hook for personal responsibility. >> will put. [applause] >> thank you for coming today. during secretary clinton's term, about the second year the state department was doing influencing an president putin selection term. then, that was on the news on ms nbc and fox news once or twice a minute disappeared because of the alleged hacking into d&c and then release of very damning e-mails. what you think about our interference in other countries elections in nationbuilding?
6:29 pm
>> we don't actually interfere in people selections, what we do is try to help people have free and fair elections. one thing the united states support is when the national endowment for democracy which reagan again sends electoral monitors to make sure elections are proceeding freely and fairly. we do speak out when we see fraudulent activities and elections. we tend to train people who then can go be candidates and so forth. that's not interference, or trying to strengthen opposition forces the places where authoritarians suppress them.
6:30 pm
putin's case he got mad at 2012 because hillary clinton said his election was fraudulent. it was. if you are not named vladimir putin, you never showed up on russian news channels, he found your offices suddenly closed. he found people picked up for tax evasion. this was a bad election. and even in about election he didn't win moscow. that tells you that something is still alive among the russian people. he is an eye for an eye kind of guy. so he says i may have been trying to interfere in our elections for a long time. it's just that the cyber attack gives the other ways to do it. so he says now i will show you what i can do. my view is that is what the
6:31 pm
interference was about. the think we should have dealt with it was to say we know you didn't, we will punish it at a time and place of our choosing and by the way we have confidence in the american electoral system and we have confidence in the outcomes of the american electoral system. he likes nothing better than seen a spin around talking about this or that was influenced. we should have confidence in our own system. he winced when we don't express confidence in our system. i'm for investigating what happened. it is a hostile act by a foreign power. we need to know what happened and be smarter with cyber security. the chinese hacked into her office of personnel management
6:32 pm
records too. clearly were doing something that is making us vulnerable. so i do think he was going after hillary clinton because he was angry at what she did in 2012. that is where i would stop in terms of his motivation. not have gone so far as to say he was trying to elect a particular person. i think he was a knife or knife. [applause] one must question. like to take it from the balco balcony. >> you've given us your thoughts on places like china and russia. could you share similar thoughts on the socialist government in south america. >> a very good question. latin america is a tremendous success story.
6:33 pm
when i started teaching ice touted course called role of the military politics. i had several latin america -- to talk about now you look at my america the most of the big states are functioning democracies. brazil, chile, peru, colombia. one of the things i wanted to do in the book was say that democracy promotion is not iraq and afghanistan it's a security problem that is hard. columbia is a place where we help bring back on the verge of a failed state. so they are actually doing very well. there are a few that are still hanging on the cubans are still making trouble in latin america.
6:34 pm
but they won't last. the place i'm most worried about is venezuela. this is a horrific situation. this used to be a middle income country that now people cannot buy food and medicine. i don't think there's a contagion factor for the rest of the region because the countries are pretty strong. but i think the organization of american states should say, enough. they need to arrange for that regime to be voted out of office. it will take a long time. the liberal forces have been so depressed and suppressed by that regime.
6:35 pm
i don't think the regime can last. you are beginning to see cracks in the regime. but venezuela is the single status situation in latin america. the efforts to bring socialist regimes in central america will come and go in places but ultimately those regimes cannot last. >> we are honored when you pass a visit non- behalf of all of us i want to say thank you for coming. you are invited back at any time. [applause] [inaudible] [inaudible] >> we continue our look at
6:36 pm
eugene's literary culture. next, a former tell and angeles the. [inaudible] >> to notify for worked on the series of radio and television programs but is best known as the cohost of the 700 club from 1983 to make 1987. in her book she talks about her time the rest of her life story. >> it was not a book about me. it was a book about my father. my father who is polish, polish war hero and olympic medalist would tell us the stories of his heroism and when i was a little girl he would say one day i will tell

4 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on