Skip to main content

tv   The Working Class Republican  CSPAN  July 1, 2017 11:00pm-12:32am EDT

11:00 pm
the what was going on at that time and talk about some benefits of segregation. you know, but certainly that would be one, the opportunity to have -- contact, you know, request people of another class. and of course that's beginning, you know, the demelding of the black middle-class in detroit. >> join our live three-our conversation with mr. boyd with your calls, e-mails, tweets, and facebook questions. live sunday at noon eastern on booktv it's inin-depth on c-span2. good afternoon everyone. i'm carolyn a great pleasure for me and my co-host today bill of the brookings institution, to welcome all of the you and our c-span audience to this
11:01 pm
afternoon's event to celebrate publication of the new book the working class republican. ronde ray begun and the return of blue collar conservatism. henry is a senior fellow at the public center former aia colleague and member in good standing of ai election watch team. henry arrived at a tirks in 2006, we soon bonded over politics and especially what was then a somewhat obscured demographic what the pollsters called some college. people with a technical vocational or community college education. this group was large. about a third of voters and had near perfect track record of vote for winner in presidential elections. this loosely defined group roughly synonymous with working class had was and is especially important in our politics. in the book henry shows how reagan preferences match those of working class americans transsendinging left and right and providing the e key to his success.
11:02 pm
henry book is basically divided into two parts. one on understanding. the beliefs of the true reagan getting reagan right in henry's words, and other appointed critique how qeivetive and modern have lost their way and what they must do to recover it and distinguished panel to comment on both bios online and i won't provide long intrungs henry will speak for about 20 minutes and then we've asked craig is shirley author of four best sellers on reagan including his latest, reagan rising the decisive years 1976 to 1980, to comect on henry's understanding of the true reagan. craig will speak for ten minutes and then turn to bill who will moderate second half of today's decision on future of the gop. we're very fortunate to have ai resident fellow national senior editor jonah goldberg and center for american progress senior fellow, ruy to comment on future
11:03 pm
of the gop and has a new book titled the optimistic leftiest and a major contradict tore to the work on the working class. you will be able to purchase are copies of craig and ruey book in addition to henry after the discussion this is an embarrassment riches very tight timetable this afternoon so let's get started. please join me in welcoming henry olson. [applause] like toe thank a.e.i. and c-span for coming to cover this event. it's mys first book i feel like i've given birth but without any of the pain of real birth. but tonight i'd threek to start by making ronald reagan last words my first. these are words that you can see on his gravestone, as they fit looking over the beautiful valleys of the sunny southern you so deeply love. i know in my heart that man is
11:04 pm
good. that what is right will eventually triumph. and that there's worth and purpose to each and every human life. my book is a little more than an extended essay on meaning of those words and how important they were to ronald reagan, and how his incorporation and acting upon this world is a little more than change america and change the world. and karl noted my book is about more than that as well about an argument that the republican party and conservative of movement have lost its soul. because rather than following the real reagan, the man who could say those words and -- those words that he wants all of us to remember him by they've instead adopted a false reagan a reagan who instead of being someone who loved mankind was someone in love with abstract sense of liberty without no bounds and man who instead of being somebody who would be pragmatic to make sure that the -- blessings of america would flow to everyone in the economy focused relengtlessly on
11:05 pm
businessman's desire for material self-improvements as core value of economic advancement. as a result, my argument is that the republican party have failed to meet ronald reagan vision that he set out in 1977 speech to the conservative political action committee convention of a new republican party. a republican are party where the cop, the farmer, the working man, qowld have a seat at the republican party table that would combine conservatives of all stripes social, fiscal, and cultural and economic and defense conservative, into one majority party, the republican party remains today despite reagan advances what it has been since great depression america second great party year in and year out has purer people who will say they belong to or support their ideal and say they will support the democratic party even as that gap has now t narrowed in years after reagan brought changes. republican party can fulfill that promise only i argue by
11:06 pm
recovering the real reagan and recovering the love of mankind and approach to which that means one should take to government. that ronald reagan actually exhibited in his life let me elaborate on reagan point i'm sure is one that is most controversial because it flies in the face of what we've been told. we've been told by what i called in a recent politico magazine article high priest of reagan thaism ronald reagan is more than mary gold water and man is dedicated to overthrow of the new deal as was gold water in early conservative and are todays libertarians. in fact nothing could be further than the case. from his earliest days as a conservative, ronald reagan, exhibited fidelity to new deal in the sense that government at local and a state level if necessary but federal level was possible of the federal level is necessary should ensure that --
11:07 pm
american have a handup in the american life and that everyone has a chance to live a life of their own choosing even it requires some government assistance. and then i'll move on to second point which is explaining why it is i think republican ares have lost their way -- and how it is that -- in a very odd sense donald trump has recaptured some not anywhere at all but some of the original reagan insight and consequencely no surprise that ronald reagan and donald trump are the only two people who with republican nominee in last 40 years to win dramatically among whites without a college degree and in the midwest and winning the states that determine who becomes president and the states and constituencies since 1986 determine which had party runs the american national government. so why do i say that ray was not anti-new deal conservative? well, it's because that's what he basically was telling people from the moment he step ised out on to the political sphere.
11:08 pm
now, most people who have studied reagan know that he began life as an democrat father was a democrat he inherited father love of the democratic party as party of the working man. and he added to that his own useful admiration of franklin eleanor roosevelt and voted four times art and new dealer memorized reagan -- me wised roosevelt according to coworkers, in fact, he even bored dates by talking about new deal politic when they wanted to be talking about something else. but -- he had continued to be a democrat even after roosevelt died. he had hollywood for truman barkley and supported democratic nominee against richard nixon in 1950 and he continued to support new deal democratic ideals in private conversation well into the 1950s going so far according to bury gold water recollection of calling him a fascist s.o.b. friend of second life of parents loyal davis in
11:09 pm
phoenix in early 150s. he moved over to the right as he became aware that the democratic party was leaving its ideal as he understood them behind. and he had understood those ideals as using government to help the average pern. but instead began to see democratic party was interested in power for a centralizing vision that made government and socialization of america its animating goal rather than assistance to people who needed assistance to overcome obstacle or petty tyranny in private or in their public lives. reagan was a very smart man and he was somebody who read and he was somebody who read when he was child. he read when he was on movie sets. he read when he was working for general electric in long train trips from city to city since he was afraid of flying. and he developed his own philosophy -- which is best expressed as one
11:10 pm
that said that he was for government that would help people have a handup. he was for social security. he was for labor unions, and, in fact, at a time when right to work was a major cause among the american rights. he opposed right to work. he opposed right to work in 1958 when it was on california ballot and ran for governor in 1956 opposed efforts to make -- to make right to work a law of the california land. he said in 1958 that past few decades government and america had been engaged in great adoption of welfare projects that came at great price and said that people wouldn't -- he did not want and thought that no thinking individual qowld want to repeal them regardless of the cost they represent forward thinking on his part. on our part. that he doesn't specifically reference the new deal but what else have in mind because that was exactly the progress of
11:11 pm
programs that the right william buckley national review was attacking it. he supported eisenhower twice while national review was withholding endorsement because he was too wedded to new deal he supported richtd nixon in 1960 as national review was again withholding endorsement because nixon was too enthuse with new deal and even as reagan matured reagan continued to adhere to this philosophy he told audiences in 1961, that no one should be denied health care in america because of a lack of funds. and he repeated that statement in 1964 when he was giving his television address for barry gold water that made him national star and ran for governor to express similar sentiment talking about that we were trying to engage as governor the private initiative and remember bureaucratic control. but that didn't mean that we're going to do away with the extensive programs an supports that is option in those years when he became governor rather
11:12 pm
than make a frontal assault on welfare or -- medicaid which was then only a year old. as some as he call them ultra conservative urged him to do. he pushed through roord tax increase to mac sure that budget was balanced. he also claimed that what he wanted to do was make sure aid only went to those with no fault of their own deserved support not to people who could get by without government support, in fact, the very use of that phrase indicates heritage that e used to describe deserved government support time and time again this the fire side chaps. this continued all the way through his presidency that reagan continued to tell people to tell americans that he supported what had h he called a social safety net and truly needy exempt from budget cuts at the time he considered economic disaster caused by large government to be great pressing problem of his time. people who need assistance people on medicare, people on
11:13 pm
medicaid, social security, and a whole pan of social programs would remain exempt from cuts so as long as therm genuinely and needy and that group was a very large group indeeds. he quoted from fdr extensely in his life and he not only in the -- ways that he acknowledged but in ways that are not acknowledged that he is depth and intellectual -- intellectual depth was so great that he would quote roosevelt at the drop of a hat without acknowledging it in 1980 he went offscript at the republican convention to ask can you join me in as we begin our crusade together can we join together in a moment of silent prayer. he had just billion first republican nominee to even mention the hated rose vet in convention speech siting speech that roosevelt had accepted his calling for new deal. but only the oldest would
11:14 pm
remember roosevelt speech concluded with a call for joining together in a crusade to save america and return it to its people. the faintest line to close the debate are you better off than you were four year ago was not only adapted but next paragraph or more where he asked is americans questions, are you better off do you -- easier to find a job? this whole section was lifted from roosevelt's fifth fire side chap where he answer ad his critics. reagan was indebted to roosevelt vision -- in a limited sense in the sense that america should not return to the wilderness of liberty. that existed prior to roosevelt new deal where he oppose what had happened is what happened since then -- that the democratic party was he believed in increasingly interested in power for its own state that this was exemplified in why he opposed medicare true
11:15 pm
that he opposed but over and over again in speeches the reason he o opposed medicare because it wasn't necessary. that only o about 10 or 20% of senior citizens genuinely couldn't afford medical care and that we should help them and he supported a bill called carr mill act which gave federal funds to state to create those programs and he told a friend in a letter if more money were needed he would put that up. but since -- advocates of what became medicare continued to push for size fits all program regardless of me he felt they were interested in something else. they were interested in socialism, medicine or society since you could legitimately meet human needs through a much less intrusive and much less command and control system. do republican party -- no longer talk this language but language of supply site economics a phrase that reagan in both private letter miss biography refuse to adopt for himself. it talked language of the entrepreneur when, in fact, was
11:16 pm
reagan running for president he never mentioned phrase entrepreneur and mentions it in major address when he lent race in 1979 until he signs tax cut bill in 1981 is in first inaugural address and list entrepreneur one of many american hero and listed after shopkeeper the shop -- the consumer -- the farmer, the cop on the beat. reagan believed in a bottom up economy which everybody is mattered and everybody's work worthy and republican party that gets become to that -- is republican party that can talk to reagan democrats. that after ronald reagan his succeed cor whether george herbert walker bush or people nominated for office after that, failed to attract the support of these people particularly nonevangelical christians who dominate midwestern states and i didn't see anything supportive that they found interesting. they didn't it see somebody who had that balance between individual opportunity and
11:17 pm
individual security that they ascieb to the new deet and that they wanted to see america. they wanted america that gives hem a hand up not an america that treats them with hands off or an america that lace its hands too heavily on in the form of government direction. donald trump is many things. and not all of them good. but one thing he did do from the moment hoe entered into political life, as a serious politician in 2015, was operate as a laser beam focus on the needs andments of these people. he told them that he understood their pain, that they've been abandoned by a government that no longer had their value at heart that hard work mattered that he had their back and if that meant he was going to fight for trade deals that night people on the coast but return their jobs he was for them and in that sense he was apart from reagan in theory but remarkably similar to reagan in practice as reagan, in fact, was put in sachs on japan to fights unfair trade practice and one of the
11:18 pm
proudest achievements when he put sanctions on japanese inport to save harley davidson whenever you see this run aring around that was because ronald reagan stopped them from being put out of business when they were they were unfairly competed with by -- subsidized japanese inport when is you talk immigration he doesn a language ronald reagan would never use but compromised in 1986 but he felt that we were losing control of our board offers that compromise with amnesty necessary in order to make sure we didn't have too many to drown america new yorkers he wrote we can't -- that's economic my graduates we can never take all of them because we're never have room for them. but america was so rich that it could never accommodate people whoment to live here and take advantage of its bounty. donald trump was on to something. and he was on to missing link
11:19 pm
that republican pert and talk of entrepreneurship and disregard it all too often for the realities of the way that -- government has provided individuals security through its entitlement programs. on to something and consequencely first republican to win the five midwestern dominated states that is states that are dominated by reagan dhts, iowa, ohio, michigan, pennsylvania, wisconsin. he was first person since ronald reagan in 1984 to take all five of those states. the only way forward for the republican party if it wants to remain a center right party is is to make that coalition solid. and to expand upon it by attracting back the republicans whom the negative aspect of donald trump pushed away from that party. that party -- is ronald reagan new republican party. that party is a combination of republicans and conservatives of all faiths and backgrounds one that has an ability to speak to people of all creed, class and
11:20 pm
gender one which gives poem a handup in american life while stilling task of reducing taxes where necessary giving deregulation and added spur restoring competition to america's public services. it's one that interprets franklin roosevelt new deal rather than oppose it is. it is one that legitimately returns america on the path which it has been on for well over a century one that allows us to accommodate the economic competition and modern life while enduring maintaining the enduring truths of american freedom. it is a very hard road, it is one that will be difficult for republicans to adopt. but i believe that we can do it. i believe that we can do it buzz in our hearts, that's where most of us already are are. it is are are where voters are and certainly what they fed in the 19 in the 1916 primary with overwhelming they rejected the reaganism high priest and rejected candidates who were
11:21 pm
running on -- the platform physical that been adopted in favor of the new look, of the old reaganism that donald trump was proposing. i just like to conclude by asking you a question. do you think that as to republican party and the conservative movement continues to do what it has been doin for last eight to ten years if itn't cos for next ten years that we will be better off? do you think tay tax season will be lower and that regulations will be smaller do you think that traditional values will be more respected and american public institutions? do you think that we will be more respected abroad. do you think that we will have attracted more people to our cause of the first time since 1932 more people will tell pollsters on election day in preelection polls that they are republicans than to say we are democrats do you think those things will happen? >> i don't.
11:22 pm
i think we've bandage on the wrong course since ronald reagan i think if we had followed that course, we would have been -- where he expected we would be. and, in fact, i think we with would fulfill what he told the columbus day audience in 1988 when he was in one of his last political speeches e he spoab it a grouch italian americans and said i'm going to tell you something i've never said before. he said, the old party of harry truman and fdr isn't dead. that the little secret is when left took overt democratic party, we took over the republican party. if that isn't true, it's -- old parted of franklin roosevelt and harry truman people who wanted security and opportunity had genuinely found a place in the republican party, the entire history of america over last 20 years, would have been different. ting this is now our last hope to make ronldz reagan dream come true, and finally put america on the path where conservatism is
11:23 pm
the default governing philosophy of america and consequence qengtly make america the shining city on a hill that reagan always dreamed that we could be. thanks. [applause] >> when henry are and i first spoke about this event several monthses ago i asked him who he would like to respond to his thesis. and he said that many people he spoke to asked him what does craig shirley think? so we're very pleased to have craig with us today and craig in ten minutes can you tell us what henry get reagan right? >> yes, and no -- [laughter] thank you. thank you a.e.i. being here you know i enjoy book writing but meeting people and -- you know remind me of may west said that too much of a good thing is wonderful.
11:24 pm
over the course of four, six books i've interviewed many, many people jimmy carter to walter and jim baker and nancy ray begun other people like that. but only three people i couldn't interview one of them was -- alice cooper. and he said well why would you want to interview alice cooper, alice of a reagan supporter in 1980 so i contacted his office out in arizona. reagan had -- alice had contradicted to reagan alice voted for reagan no alice didn't want to do a debate. or o do an interview. and i said why? and aid says, whether sheepishly, well alice was drunk. [laughter] i said you mean alice was dharun? from 1976 to 1983. [laughter] i said you mean all of the time in she said yep pretty much. so -- i think henry may have discovered this is a lot of joy this -- book writing as well.
11:25 pm
certainly enjoyed it. someone once asked me is what's most profitable form of writing is it on e ed, letters, speeches, book writing, i thought for a moment i said -- the most profitable form of writing is -- ransom notes. [laughter] history is written backwards but lived forward and i think henry is written back in his book. what i'm going to do is talk about -- what first surprised he henry is what i like about his book. first of all he opens up a new -- discussion about ronald reagan one that has not thoroughly and completely examined as well as it should have been. we don't fully know or at least underreported about reagan intellectual how does he go he wasn't a -- a bleeding heart liberal but a
11:26 pm
hemophiliac liberal but go from rip roar supporter of the deal to conservative and by the way he was a libertarian that's where you're wrong. [laughter] is that -- it is -- an important discussion which is why we're here today and in why this book was written. because you know, animal favor said knowledge is good. nobody saw animal house i guess. [laughter] >> i did. okay. is that how does reagan go on this journey and efnghts on him what does he read and who did ds he talk to and effect of hollywood and eureka college and learned that smooth holly was a great cause, a integral cause of great sphretion and started down path of becoming free trader from economic professor where he developed a -- developed reading of the school of economics.
11:27 pm
is a worthy, important o decision and also is that -- he henry writes in his book that reagan meengd and thinking and intellect is underappreciated and anderson one of ray begun closest aids for many, many years dear friend of mine. told me he thinks reagan i.q. is 150 at genius level the way that he approached things. the ware he thought about things. the way that rerejected this -- problems put to him but find other ways and solutions and that it was not just on our knees or -- destruction but to work with indigenous freedom and other countries to -- win the hearts and minds of the people rather than just, you know, the old way with vietnam,
11:28 pm
and with other -- u.s. responses to soviet and persians. if you rad i think henry has i'm not sure but if you read reagan columns, if you read his radio addresses, if you read his speeches, come away realizing this is a very -- thoughtful man and man who thinks very, very deeply about things. and you can feel over years isest that becoming more mature, more reflective. more, more subtle many his thinking and ultimate it centers on the right and dignity and fr. individual and he mentions using the word individual many, many times in his regular addresses later in his speeches and including his president of the united states. so i think that's also to commend henry. i have three broad areas of disagreement one is henry
11:29 pm
rejects that he was a libertarian, and reagan was a libertarian but he wasn't -- he was tricialg on issues like drug use, and other -- other excesses of the 1960s flower child generation. but he was as -- as one of reagan very underappreciate historian john patrick wrote a important book call thed fate, freedom, and making of history. ..
11:30 pm
>> >> with the synthesis of pain of the enlightenment that teaches the man is at the center of the universe and then to of this arabia might invent with the whole concept to say how can both of these the just to ronald reagan because he believes man is a spiritual being being so therefore key is that the center of the universe because god wanted him there so there is no contradiction in reagan's mind and thomas day because he synthesizes the two positions.
11:31 pm
in 1975, just weeks before he would take on gerald ford in the republican primary for president of united states he gives it an interview two's cbs mike wallace a good friend of nancy reagan day used to go to the of lessons together a good friend of nancy reagan. so it is at the ranch broadcast november 1975 he goes to great weight to protect his philosophy of the tutorial is excellent with the right of the privacy of individual and it is very impressive. but for many years during the '70s frigates and -- radius to refer to himself as a libertarian conservative slant was a
11:32 pm
fundamental basis for american conservative is a man he believed that in practical terms but he referred to himself as a libertarian conservative and i am sure at some point they said governor knockoff nobody knows you are talking about but he did believe in that. with regard to the new deal he said yes human beings over cash but also he believed in individuals over the state sponsored assistance like you're right in the book. now we just got rid of the phrase big republican. [laughter] and i hate to see a
11:33 pm
republican new deal to be introduced into lexicon because i don't think he was but when he changed parties you pretty much rejected the policies of the new deal because he could see they were in trading on the rights of the individuals there were things he knew he could do and could not do but whether in his diaries discussing tip o'neill in 1975 where he rejects the new deal just to be a panacea but he is pretty much rejecting the of politics in the policy of the new deal in with that spirituality that it was a mechanism to come together
11:34 pm
and the third is the new deal itself and he did compare in columns and in speeches to fascism and the new york times 1984 was part of his diary entry. so you have to look at reagan's relationship with the new deal more subtle than if he was just for or against it we are losing the cold war room he is elected the american spirit is sucked out and that is where he concentrated on. >> behalf one minute. >> that that was uppermost in his mind along with
11:35 pm
social security not getting rid of the new deal programs but he was a realist it was a democratic congress social security and other social programs were still popular. i will close here by saying there really appreciate the panel but someone who is gone from underestimating him to over intellectualizing him but you have to realize he was a lot of fun. that is the central core of conservatism. [laughter] you'll learn something new every day. [laughter] but back in the '60s from those heights of the vietnam war there was another hit
11:36 pm
the media was bill clinton but this alliance said make love not war reagan says to his aid from the looks of him i don't think she could make love or war. [laughter] [applause] >> i have a million things to say about the book the you built - - will be relieved to hear i will not say any of them. the moderator's job is to be moderate and a self restraint so i will turn directly first to jonah then
11:37 pm
i will give henry a chance but i think she will be chomping at the bit to respond to what he has heard then there will be a an exchange of views then we will turn to the audience for about 50 minutes i would ask just reserve one minute at the end to share with you unique insight into zero regins a lot of - - philosophical insight that i have seen for the first time and perhaps the last. [laughter] >> don't have a lot of times lie will skip some of the pleasantries i will not keep
11:38 pm
you long i really enjoyed the book. it makes important points not just that reagan is in quite the person that we understood him to be although the history is a little more subtle. and i will not do any rate -- any arguing about the numbers he studies elections and is really good at it. i consider math witchcraft and to make three basic arguments the debate that this book will generate and the high priest as he calls them and the second is the
11:39 pm
g.o.p. needs to shed this idea of reagan to fix its problems to do important things than the third is if donald trump in some ways approved some of that but i will say up front i am more in the camp if the question he was a new deal republican but to meet from the progressive wing of the republican party and certainly not like nelson rockefeller. but talking about the future of the g.o.p. i think my fundamental disagreement sometimes i am in violent agreement that the panel is supposed to be interesting and people want conflict but
11:40 pm
it seems in some ways there is a mistake he's criticizing somebody of the right that there is a true reagin a dashboard's eight and if we could just up and cover him to reveal the true nature he will eliminate the path for work for republicans for all time. this is the argument we hear that henry's version is he was a new deal republican i am not entirely convinced of that but i think one of the things people don't really understand about ronald reagan so here is where i absolutely agree i think the g.o.p. has been crippled if you watch the primary debate of the last couple election cycles, i was a and new
11:41 pm
hampshire with the g.o.p. candidate said dirtiest re-enactments of spartacus. [laughter] i am ronald reagan. i am ronald reagan. [laughter] the problem is if he were alive today he would be 106 maybe it doesn't have the best grasp of politics today requires but one of their problems the g.o.p. is caught up bid is it is assessed with purity and principles. don't get me wrong i am dedicated to those principles. but once you get into a contest then you lose sight what politics is supposed to be about and it is supposed to be about persuasion. go back to paris, with reasonable logic that is
11:42 pm
politics to say i am the purist guy on the stage by definition you are excluding rather than enticing people to bring them in and they have lost their way to the art of persuasion and this gets me to my key point about ronald reagan his success had a lot to do with his ideology but the big part is he was a really good politician. and one thing they he did is he told the stories he was really good at telling stories there is a story how he brought a speech to ronald reagan and reagan said it is a great speech but not how why would ride it he said .. story ..
11:43 pm
story. and what he understood the human mind is wired to understand through a story. every important lesson in your life has the story associated with it but the bible is a book of stories and he understood reaching out to people that disagree if you agree seven out of ted you are my allied that is something the g.o.p. has lost and one of the things that makes me while the frustrated with the g.o.p. with the election of donald trump is the way in which they have basically been back anybody to say this is
11:44 pm
not like reagan in 1982 we decide to cut marginal tax rates. we could cut them from 70% down at 30% but as a matter of logic the top marginal tax rates urey have a lot of benefit maybe we should look at payroll taxes that could help the white working-class so that the policies center or places like "national review" of lot of people would say no that is not reagan then along comes donald trump to brings over the white working-class and all the sudden the people who were denounced as too
11:45 pm
soft on concert abysm of a sudden were thrown under the bus for not throwing out reagan entirely and feeding into the populist tied so maybe the people might these other people to apply those reagan principles to contemporary problems rather than trying to replay that playbook over and over maybe we would have made lives better for the white working class there is all this talk just like it is going great for the black and hispanics. but maybe if we were allowed to do some of these innovations to make contemporary probably could have won over some of those people and not let them grow so frustrated that they go to the enterprise that has
11:46 pm
no serious connection to anything like mainstream conservatism and i will close with the .1 of the things and made reagan incredibly successful was the staff knew what the old man believed that is incredibly empowering to the bureaucracy. if you know, where he comes down you don't have to ask for permission to do with you can carry the ball for word pro more than anything else with the biggest problems with the president trump administration so far any day he wanders off to the snow you never know where he will go nobody feels empowered to follow through on a policy and that makes people unwilling to enter the administration because it'll feel he would have their backs when they need it added city service problem but ronald reagan
11:47 pm
was a much smarter politician did in a way that donald trump has no intuitive grasp that is why we will not see him as much of a figure as ronald reagan. [applause] >> nine minutes. congratulations. >> i will do my best. i really did like the book quite a bit when a the those that our least enamored of ronald reagan but i actually found henry's interpretation to be compelling i think i learned a lot from it but i think it does have a lot to
11:48 pm
tell us about the future of the republicans which is the subject of this part of the panel in one thing his book makes clear if we're going to read understand ronald reagan's political success their behalf to understand trump's a session to the presidency the republican party has become utterly dependent on the white worker not the black or the hispanic but the white working-class. there are some things better worth thinking about that they must admire the success of the republican and 1980 when ronald reagan was first elected to the presidency, 70 percent of eligible voters were classified as the white working-class by the time
11:49 pm
donald trump was elected it was down to only 45 percent so they served that in the effective wave so the estimates by 2040 we feel eligible voters will be a 35% and then 20 percent by 2016 as a wedding is declining rapidly that is something to keep in mind when you think of the coalition of what reagan has built so let's talk about reaganism because the central point that is under dispute the effort between ronald reagan and reginism but the reagan approach you think of of loyal opposition and his view according to
11:50 pm
henry don't disparage that and above all with every you do don't take stuff away from people because they don't like it and it is not right. now the reaganism approach that homogenizes today's g.o.p. really is not reagan ism the more goldwaterism with some populism on top of that but the general philosophy seems to be like the night watchman tax-and-spend as little as possible the new deal is a bad idea. if that involves taking stuff away from people so be it. as dahlin said you cannot make an omelet without breaking a eggs so i think
11:51 pm
such as paul ryan in the congress believe the fed has got to be done it has got to be done so the argument that with reagan andism has beaten reagan on the philosophy and this is a bad thing that can the g.o.p. change? best buy henry's argument he says that in many different ways than listening to his talk, they have to obtain a long-term political success but currently is some ways a fool's gold with over a long term success and has to do with the weakness of the opposition. so much to be somewhat sympathetic we have to be realistic they look at the
11:52 pm
gold as fool's gold and looks like we control the of majority of governors tuesday if it ain't broke don't fix it. and what he has to dig into his argument and with of policy intellectual and what the party should do. the four politicians that is not where it is coming from. and then with though long-term program - - problem and with some long term problem republicans and
11:53 pm
conservatives with that minority party and then to change the debate in my direction in the debate on the margin and to be a little more than tax collectors and to argue today how the g.o.p. argues with that conservative policy intellectuals tend to have except -- that the measures he to be taken to
11:54 pm
assist the working class. and to have a vision and the 21st century republican politicians out there want to be in the 21st century of the senate bill with the elimination of obamacare and for those politicians believe open-ended entitlements should be cut. so is there a vision on society? most political parties to find that vision to have those dogmatic rules
11:55 pm
in this sense to have reginism but not ronald reagan and that is what brooks salutes to. but to paraphrase virginia their king is the theory of my book and i urge you to buy that. so also with henry's book hope the conservative to prove me wrong. [applause] >> you have five minutes to respond then we will experiment with the moderation to stem bin --
11:56 pm
step then when it sounds like the mclaughlin group. [laughter] so to share those favored reagan stories so if he looks like tarzan or walks like jade it is not the cheetah. so to go into this in great detail with 200 or more pages the question is what you mean? as reagan used the term the same way of libertarian's use the term what role should government have? and to disagree with the interlocutor at every
11:57 pm
point to see that everybody is inspired to receive them flourish so should government be providing higher education or refinancing hire education? to the finer libertarian points to believe in the public fire department so reagan really meant that to me a liberty inspired that they'd use the word libertarian and then to the second question so that idea between the new deal that government is getting larger and arbitrer how society
11:58 pm
should develop and that is the polar opposite sex to get into this extensively in the book and to be forces fiercely opposed to that. but he was not the anti-new deal but what roosevelt did but before it the new deal it was illegal to fire people that belong to the labor unions after the new deal there is not comprehensive unemployment insurance before extensive
11:59 pm
set of public universities or community colleges. this is all created by the state level new deals. no federal transportation assistance. this oppose a new deal republican dwight eisenhower creates the interstate highway. . .
12:00 am
12:01 am
and understand what the reference is and who hadn't read persie jackson novels. [laughter] >> ronald reagan was a man of conservative principle but we have mistaken principle for ideology and it's innovation of the left and a sense that there's a right way of thinking about things to which all facts must conform. it is the way in which conscious of a conservative is written from first principles back rather than what reagan called reality of everyday life and for reagan those always came first and consequently as you'll see in my book when you read it, every place where reagan goes is a conservative. he finds disagreement among people who discover that he's not the person they think he is. that's true among california conservatives when they discover that he's actually a man of principle and ideology, he changes his mind on the open housing law. he decides that it's more
12:02 am
important to accommodate than principle of liberty and man should dispose of prosecute as he -- property as he sees fit. libertarian opposed him in 1980 and 1984. reagan talks about smaller government about lowering taxes and he never does it. in 1980 that ronald reagan was the worst of the candidates and you saw it throughout the presidency where time and time again, oppose ronald reagan from the right, jack kemp. newt gringrich opposed ronald reagan's social security reform in vote of the house floor. i actually looked it up, craig, so i know that's correct. it raised taxes as part of a compromise. reagan in dairies refers to
12:03 am
people as ultras throughout his career. reagan was a principled man. he was not a libertarian, he was not an idealog. i got an e-mail. i wrote a piece in politico. reagan's first national security writer adviser wrote my boss, today i wrote a fantastic piece. how the right gets reagan wrong and i would like to tell them so . [applause] >> you have 12 minutes to go at it. >> but you don't get all 12. >> all right. i will put my guard up.
12:04 am
>> reagan is a new deal and then he goes in to how reagan managed economy and managed big government dictating to the individual people and as a matter of fact, he said, i remember in 1981 he wrote in his dairy that tip o'neil was an older who thought that the 50 states were administrative states dictated by the federal government and he opposed that. i think, one thing that's interesting is that -- >> he wasn't trying to undo the deal. >> in 1977, we have to find tough bright men and women who are sick and tired of clich├ęs. ronald reagan and talking about the new deal. >> well, you know, what i talk about is there was a --
12:05 am
>> state of affairs led the democratic control of congress for more than 40 years. >> right. >> he's denouncing the new deal. >> what he's denouncing as he said in one letter to his -- to the father of his one-time fiance who broke off with him after college that they took, they felt that things had taken a turn for the worst back in the 1930's. >> her name was mugs. >> i'm sorry? >> her name was mugs. [laughter] >> i actually did some research, craig. [laughter] >> what i've said a number of times is that let's take a look at what the new deal actually did. there was a debate about the future of the new deal in 1948,
12:06 am
liberal wing of the new idea broke off the democratic party and formed progressive party and called for state-controlled economy and that was part of the platform, the democratic party rejected that. ronald reagan sat with the democratic party. >> 1948. >> my point is that as things developed, it was increasing partio the democratic party and reagan rejected planning, he rejected centralization, he did not reject the basic core of the popular understanding of the new deal which included social security, support for people in old age, unemployment insurance, support for labor unions, extensive mass public education. he always supported those things. he did not reject those things and those things are not antinew deal innovation and were opposed
12:07 am
by antiknew deal conservatives at the time and what reagan did was distinguish between the parts of the new deal that were, in fact, rejections of american life and the deal that legitimately adapted to. >> yeah. >> time-out. break. [laughter] >> i'm right. >> you get 30 seconds to prove it and then it's jonas' turn. >> you look at the world statically and instead of dynamically. is that the new deal was the world in 1930's and 1940's. there was no argument really against it, no argument for freedom or conservetism and it was the only argument going so the only question was how big to
12:08 am
grow it or how intrusive to make it. that's the only argument that was on the national stage in 1930's. i think you are also overlooking a lot of things, is that the impact of world war ii had an reagan and had on this country because we defeated the empire of japan, we defeated nazi germany and to american people it looked like government was working. we built the interstate highway system. so reagan was part of the culture. conservatives doesn't offer compelling because there's no need for conservativism. everybody believe that government is good and more government is better for you. three other things that you overlooked. >> i really am going to have to stop you so jona can get -- >> part of the problem and i think you're right. the new deal was a lot of different things.
12:09 am
ray who was the postmaster general was asked what the idea of the new deal was, it's like saying the collection of old stuff snake -- deflated basketball, some old shoes and a get guitar were put there by interior designer. the whole idea of the new deal which you reference, experimentation, they do a lot of things up against the wall to see if it stuck. some of it to the american people and some of it did with the economy and a lot of it was awful and i think you make a perfectly fine point that ronald reagan as a politician. and this is my point. as a politician looked at the stuff that stuck and was successful and said, that part
12:10 am
of the new deal i'm willing to stick with, but the -- you know, hugh johnson and nrai can't stand that and all the other things that were truly above board and outrageous. there was a second new deal. a lot of different new deals and -- but this gets to my -- i will get to my story, it was founded in 1938, to fight for the new deal. there was some work being done. [laughter] >> over 25 years ago at the american enterprise institute, josh, scolari gave a friday talk about neoconservetism. what was ronald reagan? and he answered, well, ronald
12:11 am
reagan was elected to be a foreign policy president and he was smart enough to expand to get social conservatives and economic conserve -- conservatives on board and a guy got furious, you have it completely wrong. reagan was economic conservative and he manage today fold into his campaign the social conservatives and the foreign policy hawks and then michael, one of my dear friends says i cannot believe what i'm hearing. everyone knew that the fundamental essence of ronald reagan campaign was social conservative and being a pro-life and christian and manage today make global philosophy and, of course, economic conservatives who believed in inial -- inalianable rights.
12:12 am
it went like this for 30 minutes. this gets to my point. it's very difficult to pick any one of the threads from ronald reagan who was very smart, wasn't the philosopher, he was a politician who tact around as best he could, i will defend the ideology till my last breath but the idea that there's a reagan that solves, i don't think it's right whether it comes from high priest or the olson school of revisionists. >> okay, roy, you get the last comment before we turn to q&a in the audience. >> okay. well, i don't really have a horse, i guess, not really in the fight about what reagan really meant and what he said. i will let you guys fight that out. i will say this, if we are going to think about what made ronald reagan attractive as a politician, success based on,
12:13 am
white-working class voters who we now refer to as reagan democrats, it seems pretty clear that they voted for reagan and they liked reagan because he more represented what henry says reagan really stood for which is sort of this let's get rid of the excesses, but let's keep the new deal programs to keep us secure alive, we are going to get the bureaucracy off your neck but we are not going to take anything away from you. i think that's the ronald reagan they voted for. what they did not vote for is what seems to be the reigning philosophy of the republican party which is neo gold water libertarianism and spend as little as possible and you do take stuff away from people because that's the right thing to do. i just don't think that's what they voted in 1980 and 1984. >> okay, audience. you get the next 14 minutes. and i have two requests, first of all, wait until the microphone reaches you and secondly identify yourself
12:14 am
before you ask a brief question. no speeches or statements, please. okay. this gentleman in the front. >> good evening. my name is julian kyle lewis, i studied international policy at the american university here in washington, d.c. i would like to know -- i just left the embassy of sweden today and the speaker of the parliament for lofiat and sweden were there. and we discussed the impression that european nations were having on the college students that we are producing due to our political climate. now i was wondering what do y'all think we can do to improve
12:15 am
the perception globally due to recent oh developments here in the united states to increase approval rating and what the nations think of what we are producing on an intellectual and collegic level. >> thank you very much. what wants to take a crack at it? >> you brought up a related subject which is very important and that's the cold war. the prevailing issue of the 1980's. in 1980 we were losing the cold war to the soviets, had gone into southeast asia, nicaragua had fallen, afghanistan had fallen in '79, in africa and angola. by every measurable standard, we are losing the cold war to the soviets. eight years later, we are winning the cold war and in the course from 1976 to 1980 we gave
12:16 am
up territory, every president gave territory to soviets until reagan. they don't give up -- and i think too is that part of regan's -- because i said before, one of the big goals was to defeat of soviet communism and i've always believed that simpson '86, uses examples that reagan was a liberal and was about gorboshah and evicting 3 to 400,000 illegals in the united states and a time we are preaching freedom and tear down the wall is that and don't forget too a lot of the refugees were from communist cuba and communist nicaragua who had come to the united states seeking political asylum. i don't know what the answer is to your question, but i do know
12:17 am
is -- is that the cold war has not been addressed here enough and i think it would be really terrific if we all kind of addressed ourself to that as well. >> next the woman in the front row and then i'm going to shift over to a different part of the room altogether. >> son yeah -- sonia graham, consultant. you made the statement that vision -- >> that's what david. >> i agree. >> thank you. i'm going to ask mr. goldberg to comment on that, if you would, please. the reason i'm asking you to comment on it is the extension of the statement was that they have a vision for government but they have no vision for the country as a whole. so would you call that -- >> sure.
12:18 am
>> i think david has a good point. i get asked a lot -- i understand there are all sorts of issues, why are democrats so much bitter at politics than republicans are and for reasons that, i think, ray put out, that doesn't seem obvious to democrats who don't control any government but there's the sense that democrats live and breath politics in a way and they get help from the media and they get to define and frame issues in the way that republicans never can and i think part of it -- i don't mean this to be as nearly as it sounds, is that republicans, republican politicians tend to be more normal people and what i mean by that is not -- >> like the president? [laughter] >> in debate i would call that a
12:19 am
direct him. one of the liberating things about being politically homeless is i only have to defend who i want to defend. what i mean by that is -- remember when ron johnson asked hillary clinton that question about benghazi and she said at this point what difference does it make and she kind of won this round of 30 years earlier ron johnson was trying to figure how to get a loan to get truck to move pallets of plastic and hillary clinton with left-wing law enforcement -- law firm or a sense where liberals would go into politics, take it and live it much more seriously and the standard republican is this -- usually a guy who comes from a mid western town who is a little successful in business and leader in his community and church and he says, i want to
12:20 am
give back, right, and so they come from this very sort of -- i don't want to say -- narrow frame of american culture that does not speak well to big swaths of american culture. democrats have the same sort of problem but the reverse image of it. and so a lot of republicans think i'm going to go washington, i'm going to bring business skills and make sure that the account pay bles department runs well and liberals have a vision for what society should look like. republicans have a vision to get government out of people's way. a lot of social capital, i come from a place like sort of strong mediating institutions and government is the problem there. conserve -- conservatives need
12:21 am
to do know how to figure out with people that don't agree with them. you make a good living talking with audiences that agree with you and that leaves you completely briend how other people think and persuade them about things and it's a real problem for conserve -- conservetism and i don't think what people of laftnia think about america. whatever you think about donald trump's base, he's making conservetism and the republican party fairly toxic to well-educated millennials to a lot of people that are the future of the party and that's something that we have to deal with. >> i will turn to this side of the room. this gentleman right here.
12:22 am
>> i love the panel discussion. we have been talking about trump and reagan. media is something that comes out quite a bit. media didn't necessarily like ronald reagan and i would like ron give donald trump tip how he can handle the media like ronald reagan did. >> reagan didn't shut them out. reagan was one of the most successful presidents of the modern era. the media was not kind to ronald reagan. the night of the iowa caucus when he unexpected lost to george bush, huge upset, tom went on national news, we have just witnessed the political funeral of ronald reagan and, of course, six weeks later he wins huge victory in new
12:23 am
12:24 am
12:25 am
12:26 am
12:27 am
12:28 am
12:29 am
12:30 am
12:31 am

20 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on