Skip to main content

tv   Washington Ideas Forum - Part 1  CSPAN  October 3, 2017 12:05am-1:48am EDT

12:05 am
>> next, we'll hear from an intelligence committee mark warner of virginia. retired general the tray is a many other leaders. the talk about domestic and international issues and the ideas form hosted by the atlantic magazine. this is just short of three hours. good morning. it's great to be with you. i know were going to get into this russia stuff and high crimes but, i know you're the richest man in the united states senate. will the trump tax plan help you or hurt you. >> i think it probably helps me more than it needs to. i'm missing that part where nobody on the high-end is going to benefit an old benefit
12:06 am
middle-class folks. >> 's that was fake news? >> that would not fall into the fact checkable world. >> some of the platforms that many in the audience myself love, facebook, twitter, using search engines like google are wrapped up into your committee company, to feel these platforms are undermining our democracy? >> i know it feels like it's a story that never ends, but let's look at what we do know. what 99.9% of everyone in washington believes, with the exception of maybe one individual. we know that russia using it services massively intervened by hacking into both political parties releasing information that helped one candidate at the detriment of hillary clinton.
12:07 am
it needs more investigation but that's pretty certain. the second thing, rush intervened and attacked, didn't break into voter files but literally attacked 21 states electoral systems. one of great frustrations i've had since the spring was the fact that the department of homeland security would not tell the officials in those 21 states who were attacked. >> let's pause for a minute. i watched last night that hearing where you had a representative, woman from dhs that you are hammering on this months ago. you are ferocious. it's taken all this time for dhs to do this. now chief of staff, john kelly, then secretary of homeland security wasn't pleased with you.
12:08 am
>> we had a frank and candid exchange. >> it seemed to me that dhs would say, we can't tell the states because the state secretary of state or other top officials didn't have a high enough clearance level to be told. the main note cents. >> is that what john kelly told you? >> that so stole to us. they did reveal, this is part of the challenge that the president doesn't acknowledge this problem so we have no government approach on how we preclude this from happening. in my state we have elections issue. the state election board took out a machine and decertified it because we are concerned about the ability of russians or other stack into it. >> hacking into the machine itself.
12:09 am
>> there's a conference number months back where they brought in voting machines and showed how quickly hackers could penetrate the machines. we have no evidence that they penetrated in 2016. but we need to be careful going forward. we have seen and my background has been in the technology field, check the facebook, twitter, google, a first were dismissive with the fact that there platforms were used both as vehicles for paid advertising, and also as places where russians were able to create fake accounts. those accounts could like certain groups, like certain stories and that would drive those stories hire a new newsfeed. that would mean their propaganda
12:10 am
and misinformation selling chaos. i think it had a dramatic effect. when he gets his social media platforms in a moment. if you take the freshest goal was primary to sell chaos, to show how our systems don't function and then secondarily help mr. trump, they had a good rate of return. if you add up what they spent in the american and french elections were facebook acknowledge they took down 50000 account. the dutch elections hand counted the ballots and double the, you're still talking about less than half the cost of one new f35. i think what we may scene is the first not shots fire but the first tools of disinformation. i worry that we may have the
12:11 am
best 20th century military that money can buy what were increasingly in the world were cyber vulnerability and misinformation may be in conflict. >> how forthcoming are the platforms right now? facebook denied of an overnight were learning about more accounts we see the news about twitter, you've laid out the million-dollar question is how did they know where to deploy the ads. time where there is nothing had come forward. >> i think facebook knows more about each of us then headed states government. the notion that somehow they
12:12 am
weren't aware of what's happening -- so you think there a line. >> no i want us to look at the material. it's not a good thing to do to the senate committee another coming forward. we want to get out to the public because at the end of the day americans should have the right to know if your facebook for any platform you want to know the if that ad is foreign-based or not. secondly if a story is being driven to the top of your newsfeed because thousands of individuals have like to, we ought to know who those individuals are actually individuals are represented.
12:13 am
in many cases is -- from washington, d.c. when actually could've been someone from moscow. facebook has identified one of the troll farms in st. petersburg. they have not identified the rest. one reason i don't believe they've done a thorough investigation is because of the only counts they identified with accounts paid for in rubles. so, we have more questions. i talked to mark zuckerberg last week, he has built an extraordinary iconic company. i think that company that more than half of americans like to everyday is based upon a level -- and ask google to testify as well. they need to come forward. this is important in terms of america's confidence.
12:14 am
>> so much of the story is behind that's classified. others are just now telling their citizens that they had them penetrated in one way or the other from the russians. you were on this months ago. what is the gap between but we know publicly and what you know because he get classified information? this seems to be at the core. >> i would love to tell you. >> is it a big gap, little cap? this story seems to be going on. >> i'm amazed that there's not a week that goes by that and new name or new threat doesn't appear. remember and i want to give compliments my chairman, we both
12:15 am
have challenges here. democrats thinks everybody's guilty from day one and republicans wanted to go away. our job is to get the truth out. it's a figure out if there is collaboration occlusion but equally or more important, how do we prevent it from going forward. the lighthouse that the fact that there is no single point of contact in the white house it says my job is to make sure the electoral system and information that we are protected from in a way that has whole of governor approaches a challenge. it's markup upon us to get the truth out. >> i want to ask you about what you see as high crimes. i've seen your comments and
12:16 am
evidence of collusion some of these things that we keep reading about jared kushner meeting with bankers and russian meeting in june, the creation of a document on air force one, all of these things have come out, so which of this drama constitutes high crimes? >> i've not reached a conclusion. >> host: which way are you tilting? >> i think there are theories of interactions for example michael collins who wanted to pull a fast one on the committee he's been identified in moscow and i think it's important for the public to hear for them. we want to bring in tunnel trump junior.
12:17 am
they want to hear from all the other people in the room first so we know the right questions task. there's question about shared information and clearly the russians were trying to get information that was hurtful to hillary clinton. to the trump people accept it we don't know. the big unanswered question in the hope social media companies will be forthcoming, the trump social media operation was better than the democrats realized. we've seen facebook in some levels it appears coordination. another russians have a technical ability to plant fake news and create fake accounts. their level of geo- targeted on the demographic basis in certain
12:18 am
key areas of the democrats were to asleep at the switch. how can they figured out for that level? maybe the trump campaign put a lot of databases into effect in people who wanted to directly work with any set information. i think this is a level of sophistication those unprecedented. we have to figure out what happened. >> have you read the book on steve bannon? >> no. >> i interviewed senator chris consist today. were talking about healthcare. in terms of bipartisan constructive, how many senators did you think would be open to
12:19 am
the notion of a vehicle and he said 50 which is a disappointing number in terms of flexibility. i'm interested, you and richard burr have a deep relationship, does that go on is there a chance that will go from this time of extremism in both parties? >> the truth is, there's a lot more interpersonal working relationships in the senate then you in the press represent. >> to hide them from us? >> no. i think healthcare, there is a path and i think of patty murray and there's a way that we can do short-term market stabilization as well as taking on some of the
12:20 am
options. the idea of cheaper plans, there's a lot of common agreement. we just need the runway to play that out. i worry for years old-on looking at our debt and deficit issues. i think i can add value to a tax reform debate. but if the operating premise is that republicans will try to do this with their team only and get 50 votes i think that would be harder to get 60 or 70 out of a hundred.
12:21 am
i hope they will learn that if you try to do major policy with one party only you will never get it because you're never going to get hundred% right for the american people. >> you have written about your worry that the incentive in the economy are designed the wrong way. that the average workers screwed in the situation one of the two or three things. >> in a minute 43 seconds. >> i did extraordinarily well. i've been very blessed. i worry that modern american capitalism is not working for enough people.
12:22 am
long-term value creation is too often trumped a multisite three examples. the whole notion of traditional social contract run work is changed. people no longer work for 38 years. as always you -- those folks have no social insurance. we had experience. the same area that is really no business reason to invest in upscaling. the tax reform plan to include major tax credits for companies
12:23 am
modern income worker. and i think we have to have a question whether the capital markets are so focused on short-term is that the long term great could be created today. those are companies for the founders still control an unusually large block. how can we move voice accompanies where the profits were reinvested now 95% buybacks and dividends. that's not the capitalism that will grow and make everybody have a feeling of inclusiveness. >> thank you. [applause] >> i want to ask about the trump administration given the concerns that we laid out how
12:24 am
willing are you given what you seen to go and become in gauge with president trump? >> i want the president to succeed. >> can he succeed? >> a little less tweeting and more policy might help. i want him to succeed, he's our president. but he has to recognize the role of the president, i was a governor and the role of the leader is to get folks to find common ground. >> ladies and gentlemen, senator mark warner. [applause]
12:25 am
>> please welcome the ceo, mark in the atlantic executive editor, matt thompson. >> i'm good. >> i'm worried because i hear that you never express any opinions on healthcare. there's nothing happening on healthcare right. apparently the latest last ditch effort to repeal and replace the affordable care act seemingly dead. although there is two more days, is it really dead? >> yes. >> how do you feel about the demise of graham cassidy in particular? >> senator warner who i have a
12:26 am
great degree of respect and as we think about what gets done in this country of any major social import it's always done bipartisan. no sooner is the bill past and put in place that it needs to be tweaked. medicaid gets tweaked every year, you have to have a bipartisan agreement that we need to fix these things as it goes along. nothing's perfect out-of-the-box. that is what real innovation is. >> it was seen from a number of plants that have been floated and failed over the past couple of months, it would seem like there's a wide area of give on healthcare. there has been bipartisan plans hanging out there since the next and era. >> if you took the politics out of the situation we would have a bipartisan situat situation are.
12:27 am
it's about election promises. if we really want to fix i think there are very simple, straightforward things we could do to fix it. the affordable care act, which touches 18 million people out of 330 million people. if we want to fix it, we can. we just need to get people in the room who can do it. we need to get it to the forefront and have it done. once we get past the bewitching hour of september 30 i think we have an opportunity to do something. that would be a great start to get tax reform to and get infrastructure done which would invigorate our economy. >> let's talk about the affordable care act. your company, at now pulled out of the exchanges for 2018. which has been a bigger problem for the affordable care act this year?
12:28 am
structural issues in the bills designer administrative wavering from president trumps administration over reimbursements? >> for those of us -- i'm not actuary, but i play one on tv. as actuaries we price these products 18 months in advance. so if the rules are constantly changing and the funding is constantly at risk, you don't how to price it. that's insurance. so, if you want to deal with stabilize in the markets you need to have a stable footprint. even under the obama administration there is instability in the exchanges every year. the rules had to be made up in regulation because congress cannot work together to change the lawn the legislation.
12:29 am
medicare, social security or medicaid, if we didn't touch those for seven years they too would fall apart. because we couldn't do it legislation, hhs tried to do it in regulation and that's a different difficult thing to do. >> did your decision to pull out have anything to do with the decision? >> no. were still here. nothing ventured, nothing gained. we thought it could be powerful, it's not the end of the world. we have a great organization and great people, and we will be fine. >> you have strange ideas about healthcare. you come to washington, you say washington is a city with people who never sleep. you sleep seven and half hours a night, how's that. >> you're the ceo of them major company how do you do that? >> the amount of time you spend
12:30 am
work and thinking about is not directly related to the success of your work. [applause] people who count cars and grudges at workplaces after 7:0t wrong. so, you do need seven and a half hours of sleep. we pay are in place to do it 20 nights in a row. if you do that you will want to keep doing it. so bluelight in the morning for an hour without any glasser shield, outdoors great melatonin that could stored later in the evening. in the evening you should have yellow light or amber glasses that allow you to ramp down so you can sleep. . .
12:31 am
>> >> remeasured their stress
12:32 am
levels by quarters all levels and the heart rate permeability we saw a dramatic drops the highest of all had a of a dollars more her cost. >> other stuff is covered if you work for an employer you can pay for that that is your you can get that done so employers offer yoda now we have a program called healthy cities and counties challenge with 50 cities competing working on violence in cities like kansas city or urban farming in new york and then starting urban form beds in those communities with a food desert no meals on wheels announced their volunteers would give feedback of the seniors
12:33 am
attitudes so we can intervene at the home because food insecurity and dyed silk -- isolation leads to depression and diabetes and alzheimer's. we have kahn sourcing help -- crowd sourcing help. >> en el lot of people would be concerned if they heard their insurer would sending people into their homes to gather information about their lives so why should we trust you?. >> these people cds people everyday. you have all seen a doctor at some point you get 15 minutes are they talking about how things are going at home? by its? exercise
12:34 am
exercise, anything troubling you? you get 15 minutes and even if they did working about 13 minutes a day only eating vegetables i'm doing good he would lie. [laughter] i don't drink at all just a couple of glasses. they are tumbler's but a couple of glasses of that idea to understand what is going on to say we would like to come for dinner that is refined everything is going on city get to the kitchen table so those that deliver food to them every day our people they trust and they can make honest assessments of what is going on and that is what we want to hear not to intervene but if they are isolated and have a problem with travel
12:35 am
we want to know about it because it is cheaper to pay for a ramp in front of the house or fuel assistance or meals on wheels if we can know this because it is cheaper than for them to show up. >> this ties back obviously to the conversation about the affordable care act and we spend a lot of time about pre-existing conditions how we create a system?. >> queeney to liberalize of a definition of benefits but instead to say a healthy person is via bleeds socially economically
12:36 am
physically if we need to provide a service we should do that and intervene. look at health and social determinants the united states is now #whatsnextrx value for services rendered is 34 out of 34 and life expectancy is going down and looking at the split united states is the only country that says that on health care. we have been wrong and is showing up in emergency rooms with the ovulate addiction and overdoses which is 70,000 more than a gunshot wounds and suicides put together. we have a pandemic bigger than diabetes because people
12:37 am
have lost hope. >> personalized mattis sin dictates what does your halted due? we need to make that work for you. that is the only way to ring gauge. so if you could be a diabetic in seven years, thanks, i will work hard. but if you have barack of the you can go for a walk to the senior center take your children for a walk-in the part you have my attention because now you have eliminated a barrier for me.
12:38 am
people look at their health as a barrier to the life the one to lead not the condition that they have. >>. >> i deptford as senator sanders talks about medicare for all. what do you feel about that idea?. >> that is like financing a bad car. and a matter how you finance it you get a bad car. if you pay with cash or a loan note rigo to general motors acceptance corporation. we finance health care. nobody can knock on their front door for you have to go to the dealership.
12:39 am
so what we are talking about with the affordable care act why we talk about single payer with the underlying cost of health care. >> 50% of the $3 trillion spent on health care 900 billion is wasted. there is your financing. >> about could have succeeded to create a different system all over the system with the idea for all americans?.
12:40 am
>> look at canada a federal financing of each province and territory for health care delivery. and the canadian health care system budgets they're responsible for delivery and then the federal government. people say we cannot do that but that is what they are doing. >> and then to redefine u.s. health care system in one minute. [laughter] >> what we would do is understand the burden of social and economic patterns of a community to say what
12:41 am
does it need to be like to support that? except for kentucky to understand that burden. so understand the investment and save money. so think about that from the context of how we revolutionized that system at a federal level and the state level is not big enough for rigo and -- robust enough. >> so we run into issues were the companies and governments and economies
12:42 am
are not sufficient to run properly is the have to go back to the community and go back to local in the ethic to in a pod -- go into the community. not the new world order from up above the national push one button. we have a bipartisan solution that can be touched every year in facts. it is not bipartisan. [applause]
12:43 am
the mayor of washington d.c. [applause] good morning i am so happy i am so happy every time we have a collection of the innovators with business politics and media and i know you would not be here at this conference you did not champion inclusion and solution.
12:44 am
as mayor of d.c. have committed our city to the big idea is as well. part of what i want to take with you today to your towns and cities. and that tell people this all the time. briard of business capital the most exciting economy anywhere in the country a league's city for industries those services for the nonprofits and hospitality and retail. have moving big development projects in october 12 to
12:45 am
reinvigorate the potomac waterfront with projects like walter reed we are on a trail committee every month we attract 1,000 new residents we have big goals for inclusion over half of the work force made up of london and people of color. we have a long way to go to celebrate but we know that women make up 37% of the tech jobs people of color only 28 percent we know this is the nation in washington d.c. we want to grow. big projects that have been
12:46 am
announced that guilt would open the first east coast office plans to revise the carnegie library and backed tuesday and expand in washington d.c. and amazon announced it will open a second headquarters in washington d.c. [applause] that has not been announced yet we are competing hard for those of you go back and tell them it is obviously d.c.. have a great day.
12:47 am
>> i want to start with the bigger question thought that the culture of housing and real-estate in committee talks about the real estate market or television shows or homes across the globe to renovate them so why is housing at the center of culture?. >> it is primal. because it is shelter but then it quickly chefs, is a
12:48 am
huge part of the economy 1., a trillion transactions per year in that combination is where we got our name that is where we got our name from zillow zillions of palos that is the quantitative data of the culmination that is real estate and why it is so important to society. >> the already learned a something. we have worried about the housing market and watching these negative adjectives. >> it is on fire home values are up 7% more than half of
12:49 am
the country is over peak bellevue. more than half are worth more than at the end of the 2007 peak. and it seems like everybody has a personal story so through the downturn of builders are building and drop it two or 300,000. so when they started to build there is limited inventory. >> so what is the consensus to create that inventory?.
12:50 am
>> the biggest governmental solution of the at environment and as day to do in d.c. but look around there are trees everywhere. but that is the way to alleviate the housing problem. >> read it is the availability and there is no question it is harder to get the mortgage however it is a return to that pre-bubbled normal.
12:51 am
that you can basically get a mortgage at any income so overall so it is less. >> who is buying homes?. >> anybody that they can afford. there is that perception they rented music and tv shows the date of us doesn't support that. that is the biggest cohort in those millenials are in the market. >> and then they skip the starter home. they buy what would have said a second or third home. >> and already does not have
12:52 am
a home. >>. >> because there is so little inventory as a traditional buyer that means you have to be patient to submit and about one-third of all millenials are baring their down payment and more than one-third are exceeding there budget. buying houses that they cannot afford and then over six people negative 60 percent still track this is a phenomenon we have not seen that they are looking at buying or renting simultaneously. this is interesting because so that trees will only grow
12:53 am
to this guy around housing and home values will be flat or down does it matter if i own or rent? i pay $2,000 a month to the landlord? so i am willing to consider dual tracking. >> let me know if there is then the long term danger. >> barring from family members? and the problem with a really low down payments looking at the economics of millenials they have been out of work for quite some time were they just turn into a pickup or a lot of students that -- that and to create that recipe
12:54 am
for a ton of savings. >> the short answer and then to build on a foundation of say and. in the in 10 million people bought homes and should not have been able. and then through the downturn those people never should've gotten homes in the first place. but this spike in home values at the same overall level is lack of supply and strong demand. so this recovery has a much
12:55 am
stronger foundation so yes i worry about people stretching for a downpayment but overall housing is so much more healthy. >> you said the market was on fire? so are you worried about those conditions?. >> said to be in the four or 5% depreciation but the data it is not forecast a decline. because it is more solid so we are not worried. >> so with these homebuying purchases of the next generation i didn't know that generations the was he did not old enough to be
12:56 am
about homes but they are. would you define as is generation z?. >> gen-z is teen's through early 20s graduating college entering the work force and mostly renters but it shows up day have traditional views of home ownership and day aspire to own a home. and then to a extrapolate from the economy where the gen-z where millenials do not feel that way. to feel it is part of the
12:57 am
american dream but we hypothesized that gen-z will have a higher homeownership rate and then millenials because they have scar tissue they came of a june june 2007 i do not buy these i will just read to and it took many years for them to move out of that. >> del understand the term negative equity. >> no. so for them and then i don't have to worry about my rent going up or being kicked out by my landlord. so then to hypothesize gen-z will be a higher ownership rate and millenials. >>.
12:58 am
>> with those mid through late thirties. >> bedded is just very little inventory but yes they are already searching for crow but they are also attracting and though line has become blurred so they are very blurry about ownership. >> what about millenials not wanting to buy at the top so this slight move out from negative equity?. >> absolutely. when you are in a search process over four months bidding on eight homes now you're getting ready to make the ninth, you are worried.
12:59 am
and then pay for a house? is a huge concern for perot but it is totally a risk. >> can technology help? and can they spend their entire time glued to their fronds?. >> en to be revolutionized by the smart phone to push a button my food gets delivered. but really all americans are so accustomed to that they don't understand why it is so complicated. why all this paperwork and escrow and title insurance
1:00 am
and it is way more complicated. so we're trying to innovate on all of that keeping with the paper lists transaction say you never have to sign paperwork again we're pretty good up front in the search process to treat gosh the search with those destructors like us so imagine in a world what might that due to the ownership rate? so well. that is a game changer so that requires that which
1:01 am
includes financing and highly regulated and complex to be torn down and rebuilt. >> i n nervous you turn on my amazon one. [laughter] >> that expired a couple months ago. yes we have to figure that out. so the bigger concern sometimes that complexity is good for the industry with that capacity and complexity in tusis the demographic
1:02 am
information and we lived for a bath that is how we do planning and strategy. >> she wants that to be more stable. >>. >> what is problematic is the of boomers and older americans. and then to downsize and moved back again but the other was millenials by never want to go to the suburbs. >> do you see the fulfillment of those tracks? >> yes the swamp of lack of supply. with a three-year five years of accumulated 500,000 deficits you are missing those houses and that will
1:03 am
swamp any other. >>. >> good question. one year from now? there are a lot of companies innovating greater a seller can sell all rather than traditionally through a couple of markets. [applause] >> next day session produced by our underwriter. ♪ i was on my way out of this life. >> i felt paralyzing fear. >> you hear the stories all the time will i pass away like my mom?. >> the only thing i could
1:04 am
think of buses i would be dead the six months for. >> day war retry to fight these diseases. it is a big challenge but that is my keeps me going. and how fortunate i am. in the really want to halt. >> you were meant to carry his story. i had to get back up and now here i am. >> to say you saved my life by dead to year-old targeted there be drunk that is what drives me. >> please welcome to the stage ted johnson for pfizer
1:05 am
and executive vice president of policy for forma. [applause] >> good morning. i am the executive vice president for policy and research at pharma representing a the biopharmaceutical company's. to my immediate left is the patient treated with a targeted there be for lung cancer and to his left is a biopharmaceutical researcher. welcome. talk to us a little bit what it felt to get the national
1:06 am
day, says. >> six years ago in the summer
1:07 am
1:08 am
1:09 am
1:10 am
1:11 am
1:12 am
1:13 am
1:14 am
1:15 am
1:16 am
1:17 am
1:18 am
1:19 am
1:20 am
1:21 am
1:22 am
1:23 am
1:24 am
1:25 am
1:26 am
1:27 am
1:28 am
1:29 am
1:30 am
1:31 am
1:32 am
1:33 am
1:34 am
1:35 am
1:36 am
1:37 am
1:38 am
1:39 am
1:40 am
1:41 am
1:42 am
1:43 am
1:44 am
1:45 am
1:46 am
1:47 am

6 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on