Skip to main content

tv   Samhita Mukhopadhyay and Kate Harding Nasty Women  CSPAN  October 22, 2017 7:00pm-8:31pm EDT

7:00 pm
>> >> even if the students themselves with b.a. t is that they cherished the most
7:01 pm
and another exercise there is a chapter in my book that in general why not punish = id is the other way countries to? so i go through and i give examples what factors would you take into account? is used to be of the race now is also a gender and political beliefs it any other category for hate speech not being athletic enough or what would be required and coming to grapple antitrust somebody else to make these difficult decisions it could be the lesser of two evils.
7:02 pm
>> so understanding where it came from give students a voice. and without it how is it for administrators? so to understand that rich history >> i tried to remind students quite frankly the goal of the university is to raise you up. so please give us the benefit of the doubt we're not here to make a great living but to present ideas and trying to use shift to
7:03 pm
good. >> by coincidence do you have another final vote? [laughter] >> thanks to the panel. [applause] this event was hosted and produced by the free-speech podcast with the foundation for individual rights and education.
7:04 pm
[applause] [inaudible conversations]
7:05 pm
7:06 pm
[inaudible conversations] >> good evening. and the vice president of public programs your we are thrilled to celebrate the publication of this important anthology feminism resistance and revolution in the trump america we are incredibly honored to have been all-star panel of brilliant contributors to lead us in conversation namely how we got here. it is very fitting to be holding this particular discussion steeped in
7:07 pm
history of the minister thought and action where it was written the of feminine mystique. read the papers of of the goldman our house stowe wong with the archives of the national suffrage association and the activist group and the icon list literary magazine and much more. the archives even contained a fragment of the rights of a woman written in their hands. and a place for dialogue programs like this one are the extension to provide patrons with access mightily to gray books or research materials but also a forum for discussion of the critical issue facing our communities and cities and their country and our world.
7:08 pm
with public programs everything that we do on a lifelong educational journey if you're interested in feminism or activism with any program though library is your partner will help you gave the deeper insight i encourage you to visit your mobile library. check out a book or three or five you'll find hundreds of thousands of books to download online for free. coming back to any research library and to draw inspiration from the work and struggles that are documented. there are a list of upcoming events in the handout.
7:09 pm
the authors will be signing books and all purchases benefit the new york public library. it is my pleasure to introduce the book editors. [cheers and applause] >> before we start the one to get a pitcher of the audience of nasty women say you have that for later that is a good memento to have.
7:10 pm
i am very flattered to be here. i didn't want to give anybody anything that was not fantastic sorry your to moderate as i excited about the book so first of all, we will talk to kate harding and samhita mukhopadhyay then we will bring up the other panelists and then we will have a queue and day -- q&a and you should have gotten some cards they will
7:11 pm
be brought up here we will read from them and for those of you that our tweeting there are two #. one is for ibiza in new york public library in one is for the book. it is "nasty women" clive -- live. >> congratulations on the book. i realize that i did not know the orders in the story beyond the fact that there was an election last year that was incredibly painful but take us through that story. >> then i of the election i was working in a newsroom with 80,000 word essay of the other day clinton becoming the first woman president i filed that to i
7:12 pm
editor then i thought i have nothing else to do tonight we are good. obviously that is not how the night went. so i realized i had to go back to the news river around 1030 to read write everything. it was very hard to write to the essay in the first place processing the first 100 years and thinking how many feminist writers so i made a video and also to do the same thing i agreed to file something within three hours of the election results coming in and i did the same thing i pre-wrote to the paragraphs to plug in with
7:13 pm
the numbers of how much hillary one then i was slapped in the face then was up and told 5:00 in the morning sobbing so think of all the feminist writers we can do with the apology of the essays we did not get to publish the and when we started to talk it grew into let's talk about what feminism will look like under trump. >> i was just thinking of looking at that on the one-year anniversary. >> i worked my into the essay because they don't like to waste things. [laughter] and what my a essay was
7:14 pm
about it was one hour from seneca falls. to go all the way to rochester but i will go way for the election results to come in. in the women came up to me and we're all going it is really happening. we plan the trip month before. and then drove home and was already to what the results so i had that whole bit of going to seneca falls in my essay but the context changed substantially. >> so maybe remind people with the title comes from. >> this is from one year
7:15 pm
ago. >> id one of the debates she made the offhanded comment your tax returns if we ever see them and donald said such a nasty woman. immediately there will be parts of that by tomorrow and there were by midnight. >> so i missed the t-shirts so when we were looking for a title we were messing with the titles that were maurer at academic -- more academic. >> and weaver in the greenroom we were talking route what had been written about the book so far in there is one piece in which
7:16 pm
the authors critique but if there is something about once you chose the title did you feel obliged to follow that?. >> so what does the term nasty women mean to you? or nasty attitude. to have a well documented in your -- issue to a living and breathing organisms. [laughter] >> the think we felt the need captured that historical moment so what is
7:17 pm
happening across feminism that is one of the things we really didn't want to do as people were just angry about the election over night. so we reached out to a wide diversity of writers so they are creative nonfiction writers in with reported pieces that doesn't need to be more thought out. so that sentiment is there. >> there is some of the explicit or simmering anger that with that interview bin in the essay she talks about
7:18 pm
we have to stop to talk about revolution it has implications so she literally said sometimes you have to throw the breck. is some of us were polite some of us were talking about throwing bricks so that talks about we were trying to get as many perspectives as possible so as a whole that message feminism under trump is not just one thing but a bunch of us who have assured purpose. >> is interesting right after the election when i talk to women that i know. they do express more eager
7:19 pm
-- anger verbally and in their riding. the emails are very different from those personal conversations. those are extreme enough about dispensing with men all together. [laughter] so it is there a line in the book that brings all the pieces together something that you noticed like that beams or the words toward the idea is repeating themselves?. >> that is a great question.
7:20 pm
people really did take a lot of approaches as a white woman it was the first time we felt just hated by a our country by more than half the research talk to our friends and they say it must be nice. so we have an essay of a member of the cherokee nation who wrote this amazing piece that i am part of this legacy of survival from andrew jackson. my people survived jackson we will survive trump proposed you have that perspective and then also a few of us so the voices are so different it is hard to say there is one thing
7:21 pm
except we really did want to be intersection all but also to be at the center. >> one of the things that's when i was going through was the of frustration with the left to have a variety of perspectives within the left and interestingly it evolved as a working with the authors of the essays or they felt differently after inauguration day so as to have an essay in the book one of the founders of black lives matter to have a powerful s.a. of the women's march and wanting to be critical but then realizing the best thing to do was not to break the opportunity where people were accessing
7:22 pm
more radical politics. or others who had deep criticisms we wanted to curate all of those so it doesn't have one particular it is more agitating all the different questions that i think helps us to understand where we are coming from. >> why was there so many criticisms of the women's march?. >> minnesota to lot to a lot of people but with that reaction i was surprised to see so much focus with that criticism in particular or criticism in the book. >> we really wanted to highlight the voices however
7:23 pm
you feel for a presidential election to inspire the largest mass protest we have ever seen in history is profound and worth documenting but i also felt into those voices that did not feel as excited about it >> we were both very pro hillary and was that the women's march in d.c. was profoundly moving but we do not everybody felt that way we wanted to major we included those voices as well and not just trying to put our own ideas we all wanted clinton to win but to get a snapshot of the women on the left. >> if we had more essays
7:24 pm
right now where it is evolving reading in these issues to have that big controversy and they bought from a feminist organization? so i think those conversations we're having for whatever reason that was though weirdest thing and we can debate if we think that is included but that is the women's march as the organization and they have continued to do that actually bed yes in this moment of a probably focus on what is next.
7:25 pm
>> in general?. >> yes. are they continuing to build on that momentum?. >> that is what was important that so many women coming together but then it was so clear the people who came were so far beyond whenever the vision of the organizers so on a much smaller scale you have all these people who have identified the feminist but have completely different backgrounds and levels of engagement with those feminist principles so it is hard to say if it is just one thing or the women's march will go down as one action or the ongoing movement. >> i have three questions.
7:26 pm
the subtitle of the book is feminism so tell me what is that revolution they're referring to?. >> i feel that it say much harder part to live up to. >> i think we're calling for a revolution. but i would prefer that it is not bloody but. [laughter]
7:27 pm
but exactly. is. yesterday we said that you have these messages of hope. but not all people survive watch what is happening importer rigo. we all will not make it. so for the first time in my lifetime and i am 42 talking about revolution in a real way more than and ever and it terrifies me. i don't know what to make about that. with that feminism part of the resistance. >> okay. [laughter] now we will bring out the rest of the panel. i assume most people here know who kate harding and samhita mukhopadhyay are.
7:28 pm
[applause] >> if it didn't happen is documented and social media. >> [laughter] so to my far left is the executive editor of a magazine worse with the eric magazine and glamour and l and the village voice. >> and next we have meredith
7:29 pm
>> numerous features with those publications of the guardian and the atlantic and american prospect and many others dividing time between new york give the philippines. >> although not anymore. >> to my immediate left is the director from presser programming formally the director of media for the presidential campaign for hillary clinton with celebrity interviews everyone and everything from the "huffington post" to cnn. and written for the new york daily news and cnn.com also
7:30 pm
has a law degree by the way from rutgers law school. and the mta from international relations from tufts university. kate harding said i was the one who got her on instagram. [laughter] but it didn't take for gushy is the author of asking for it. a finalist of the 2016 minnesota book award and has given lectures on body image and rape culture and that this spring a distinguished visiting writer at cornell college and earned her biography says that she is feminist as fuck.
7:31 pm
[laughter] nasty. currently the senior editorial director and a former executive editor of the world with being blogging and all so it ayatollah laughing because we have had drinks and talked about being in love life and i have added date since. [laughter] that is true. [laughter] i just realized. she will ruin your love life intend easy steps. so i have questions that are directed but jump bid as
7:32 pm
well. >> this is not an interview. >> no, no, no. so first i did a podcast and i had some difficult questions so what makes you a nasty woman and?. >>. >> what did i say? that was late at night. i said i think the nasty woman it seems appropriate of the stage then tell my parents are in the audience. [laughter] so basically you are a nasty woman then you embody
7:33 pm
confidence if you don't give the ship what people -- give a shit and that is how i am. [applause] >> is that something u.s. buyer to be?. >> allotted days i am like got but i have days that i a em like that and other days i have a siren. >> but just to be everything as we are socialized to be good and deferential and in europe and not make fun of donald trump on stage. >> and just to be the opposite of that. that you don't give a fuck bedded is rejecting the
7:34 pm
training. >> indoctrination. >> i am the daughter of to pastors but i know how to get the message across into think it was a bad day in so it is just being an apologetic to express that out loud to convince other people. [applause] >> i went through this period because it is interesting with this trajectory you don't grow up with the socialization but then if you want to be a
7:35 pm
member of a the club then to be overcompensated. i found my groove in the use my male socialization to talk about all of these issues. that those even we don't know those ways that they are conditioned by their own gender but not to expect to be called. every day feel that this really that women are viewed as the inherent being to be inferior to men especially somebody who has been both.
7:36 pm
my a brain did not atrophy because i transition. [laughter] actually got better. [laughter] >> i feel that everybody touched on a nasty woman i think we're all versions of the worst nightmare. i could stand to be more of a nasty woman i'd like to make connections with people. i am very zero opinionated living the life i want to be living with this same-sex marriage i have always been out.
7:37 pm
is definitely out there. to be culturally jewish everybody knows me knows my opinions by that definition canfor a living and i love that. is by their definition i am pretty nasty.
7:38 pm
[laughter] >> i have always said that. then i think i insert something similar and then i realized i felt like the ability to say i am over things and i hate the word privilege with that luxury to speak out in certain ways. just that personality characteristic and i would use that word anymore but to be that person. so one thing you said earlier this is after the
7:39 pm
election then did you just realize with regards to gender and politics. so where have you been all this time?. >> batted say fair assessment in terms of what i actually felt that the time. so with the social justice principles that things were really messed up. but i had dealt with the trolls coming at me from the albright -- alt-right i knew how homophobic and racist they were but on election night i didn't think we had
7:40 pm
more than 51% but i thought we had 51 percent. it was just a the best punch that i cannot go out there. and then we went out for breakfast. everybody here voted for trump so that sense of isolation that is the privilege as a white person. with their people here that space and think like me. >>. >> so the monopoly to feel shocked this is what the
7:41 pm
country really is i am not quite but i felt a similar. >> we were shocked. they would not putting it in the of javits center. that is what you were saying the day of the election to arrive early in with the? anecdote is seen so prescient when i was working very early in the morning we had our hillary sure it isn't so people say how you did you say 27 days you say the number of days because you feel like that all the time. so walking into the javits center we walked to the
7:42 pm
wrong side in had to go all the way back around we walked past construction workers to yelled out across the street are you guys with hillary? we said yes. he said. fuck yourself aggressive and a greek then nasa started to turn we thought back he'd definitely voted for trump and that was the man. so we were shocked. with the was happening so don't worry that will be fine. and i don't want to ask if you were shocked that she lost but the number of people that voted for donald trump? that is what i was shocked by.
7:43 pm
>> i would say yes. part of those early results i was in greece that it was close. i was upset anybody would go out to vote for him with the of hollywood access so writing about rape culture he grabs women by a the policy without consent and that was fine. so that anybody that would support that regardless of politics on any other issue. so i was beside myself. so for the majority of the night until a was clear we would not win a was upset it was even a question. and then when we didn't i did not cry in tell the next morning on the way and at the concession speech. i was in shocking and dismayed that people heard
7:44 pm
that and voted anyway. >> but in her piece she said somewhere in her bones she knew hillary would not win in she intimated to america's women and hillary supporters were so excited about her run that we ignored instincts. is that a fair assessment?. >> it is funny because i grew up in the of philippines. so my entire mental condition that anything can happen i don't take anything for granted so in a way to be the eventuality. that night i was the other
7:45 pm
transgendered and we had the much different reaction in the sense that for us with the obama administration made inroads but with those strands immigrants those that were incarcerated all of these issues with people of color in the current state of the of representative democracy. so people were like zero node these terrible things. and the lives of the transgendered people will be worse but maybe other people will understand how we felt.
7:46 pm
so maybe people would be as angry as us. when that tie become strong that that would account for the transgendered people in that location. and where i wrote that essay for the book. >>. >> talk about the women's march. >> are you surprised or not? but it seems pessimistic but i am completely feeling and. >>. >> but i was surprised but devastated because i was
7:47 pm
trying to envision what this world would be and what does this mean? event -- in one of my writer's the year before was a black female writer, she said to be one year before he will get the nomination and he might to very well with. ever said that she is being cynical and she said do not underestimate the racism of this country. and it took me a minute and i just had to process. my mother said this to me
7:48 pm
repeatedly that when things go south then it gets real. >> si no phobia. -- the no phobia also but she told me about. so it is like it is ingrained in my head. and so we knew about this. and deny a witnessed racism first but in by witnessed it like how much anti-semitism without particularly nonjudicial area where they started to baskets from
7:49 pm
public housing to my school in this was a very working-class area. i heard it and i saw it beckett's self segregated from what they heard at home but to get back on point those for the indications i started to feel that they were speaking nonsense or the quality of the debates not even addressing the question. in how he thought about running for mayor. so seriously as a candidate that was my first indication of but the other thing is my parents are jewish
7:50 pm
liberals, not on social media in their late sixties and when planned parenthood thing was going on with the film's my mom believed it. and i said if she believes that whenever she sees on the news, they don't watch fox they watch msnbc then i thought we are in trouble. i don't love hillary but i will vote for her are not going to vote for trump. i always vote the democratic ticket for go into bernie is unicorns and read those. that is what she said. so what else will i do? she
7:51 pm
was tired and didn't want to dig too deep to say i am not making that mistake again so that is a very long answer to your very short question. >>. >> so did your pc you say the conversation that voted for donald trump in those who worked for hillary clinton that needed to have been so why with those particular groups? heidi propose that conversation to happen? because i am pessimistic. >> there is the reason why 94 percent of black women voted for hillary clinton i
7:52 pm
did join the campaign i am with henry all my life i did not have a shrine in my house but i learned to love her so even through the work of the campaign i grew to love and respect her and i do today but it was important black women would recognize what is at stake they knew people's lives were on the line in the policies would be horrible and also because so to live that experienced to know how bad that can be in the white women who voted for urd donald trump embodied sexes
7:53 pm
and and those black women we also do that but to a lesser extent. it was earlier and more involved in those conversations need to happen isn't going to be easy but we lived a the worst of the worst in it goes back to the founding of the country. and i was talking to somebody earlier today about the legacy of black women and how i fit into that timeline of feminist thought how i feel that in my bones and in my soul. rosa parks was on the bus because she was an alabama investigating begging grapes of the of black women in the
7:54 pm
south with the naacp so that piece of her legacy is something we do not even know. into a sexually assaulted so coming from that to the point with michelle obama and beyonce all these wonderful black women to transform the country we have to look to black women as a model in listening to what they are saying so what is going on? and not just as a joke but it is important to a lot of women have said things but listening to us as we talk about our experience as a privileged black woman but
7:55 pm
also i could be killed and nobody would be in trouble and i feel like paramitas of those essays to be a black woman in the campaign to be a feminist it is important to a document there are more black women and there was a reason because she trusted them to inform her about what is going on in the community it is important to know they were in every aspect of the campaign so i wanted to say this is what is really going on in the campaign. so you try to break through but it is difficult to do
7:56 pm
that of a campaign of this size. when i say there were more black women than any campaign in american history. people say really? cited by know that. >> so i don't see myself on the campaign. i do. they are all around me. we strategizing how we talk to black women and what we will do for our community so that was important in the campaign. >> when you say trump's black women? du you address that to the white female all trump voters or certain segments of the left? for identity politics or that rejection?. >> it is in those white women but progressive white
7:57 pm
men who did not listen to us on the campaign. [applause] not any particular person but a lot of times we would say we should do this. are you sure? we would say trust us. we would say we are doing best they would say maybe no. [laughter] so really you cannot just hire black people and not listen to anything they say. [applause] trust us because we are trying to give you good information if we're willing to put ourselves on the line to be attacked by working for hillary clinton and i should believe what i am doing. >> in your piece which is an introduction from identity politics out trump fran on identity politics as well to
7:58 pm
be clear that is the need for what they describe for i just want you to elaborate. we saw that happening during the election so it seems it is split between the hillary supporters. >> some of those people were russian. be clearer. [laughter] [applause] >> the big motivation what i think is an important value of progressive politics here and policy is centralizing the idea of identity so one of relieve motivated that of why be end of federalism
7:59 pm
because interestingly ino's secretly that is what a lot of them do. the title of the essay is something bernie said. i am liberal vote for me. that was the point isn't enough. so what i tried to get at the of course, it isn't enough's but it is important and we continually have to remember it is not as a vanity project that now we don't have a bunch of black people on the campaign not to ask the opinion and what i think right now of identity politics is diversity with somebody just because of who they are but incorporating policy what
8:00 pm
does welfare or prison reform communities that our more impacted they and others. . . . . moving from rather than the fear or that's why we tell ourselves that as americans we have a shared experience, in terms of i guess we all go to starbucks. [laughter]
8:01 pm
to think of the left that wants to put that to the side is not a left that i even want to be a part of. [applause] we are collecting cards with your questions on them. if you have a question, write it down, hand it to someone at the side of the aisle. you were talking about misogyny and the role that sexism played. i think that i would see this but the robust accounting of the way that sexism played a role not just in the way that clinton was treated in the campaign, but i guess there is a part of me --
8:02 pm
are your friends professional colleagues people that you know or are interested in studying and talking about the media criticism? is someone on this? >> i don't know if anybody is writing the book. i want someone to be doing that. >> let's talk about the trope of the smart growth because this is somebody that i had been have bn observing as someone who didn't go through my teenage years it's
8:03 pm
like what if my life had been like this but one of the things i notice is how in movies when men are smarter they are like effortlessly smart and we have reset their spoon and what's her name there is this entire trove that a smart capable woman is inherently just kind of annoyi annoying. and it played out so much
8:04 pm
[inaudible] [laughter] i feel like somebody should be on this panel. >> i just want to defend lisa simpson. [laughter] >> that wasn't a joke on the campaign. i want my president to be prepared. i love that about her and i think first of all obviously sexism plays a major role that every time you said that, though, no and it was the thing
8:05 pm
talking about hillary clinton saying she is flawed but i like her, because then you are suspect. for a magazine i wrote a piece right after she announced. i have supported her in the 2008 primary and i was thrilled to vote for obama when he got the nomination. i saw a lot of sexism and then we started saying they are really being attacked by men on the left. now they are making it up it wasn't a thing since late 2008. [laughter]
8:06 pm
>> i'm not going to say anything. you were not allowed to say that it was a factor but there are good reasons to hate her. okay enjoy your good reasons. she ran a terrible campaign. can she just take responsibility for that? she was up against russia. like i am sorry. i'm stili am still mad about ths because even after the election when they did the speech at the funeral and campaign, we were up against russia and me and my
8:07 pm
partner in time we go she was a girl. like they didn't even have that. all these things were happening because she's a girl and i think we skipped over that. we skipped over the fact she was being treated differently by every single dimension of this. why does putin not like hillary clinton. what problem does vladimir putin have with a capable, strong assertive woman? the thing people forget is that she just needed to be on that other side of slightly underprepared, slightly emotional for people to completely flip. she is a symbol of how women in america live, how we navigate
8:08 pm
the spaces we navigate and men have so much more latitude to be assumed capable regardless of what they do and donald trump is an example of that. i'm wearing orange shoes because i can stomp. as much as we know about the level of influence just its massive by asking what did hillary do wrong. but i pretty much any realistic measure just in the last couple
8:09 pm
of days yes, absolutely. >> and we have to think about the timing. we didn't acknowledge. we understood at the time when it was happening the first batch of e-mail that went out after the access hollywood tape came out, it was all strategic we are going to the dnc the first morning and more e-mails with debbie wasserman schultz and the folks that were at the campaign. the first e-mail every single day the last 30 days until the election so internally we were being attacked. it was an act of war for some
8:10 pm
sort of conflict we were sort of in the middle of at the time, and i think as said, we are only now realizing they were targeting and his supporters for the 20,000 votes. >> i will ask afterwards. >> is this and are we in the fourth wave of feminism what are the core principles and does it actively include men? >> no. [laughter] let me look. okay. are we in the fourth wave of feminism i very much identified
8:11 pm
but i'm also getting old so the younger people coming up i think of a different perspective where i was working with college students last year and seeing the things they take for granted that worked when i was in college in the '90s, so i'm very excited about the fourth wave and i would say i don't -- i can't say who is leading it but increasingly it's important for me to recognize it is multifaceted and will be threaded through all of the societies, so it isn't just something that happens for the new york intellectuals or the college campuses into that kind of thing. there are a lot of young women and i'm going to throw that one out because she was editing and
8:12 pm
can name 20 individuals. it's acknowledging one's identity among many. does it actively include men? sure. as much as men are always welcome to help in the feminist movement but does it center then? no. >> in terms of the core principles when i would talk to younger women that didn't like hillary but for feminist they are ready for laverne cox to be
8:13 pm
president. they just couldn't relate to the glass ceiling metaphor. >> my response is i don't care if they delete to her. >> call me when you get old and fat and we will talk. [laughter] we will see. [laughter] >> they only became political sanctions with obama basically and think you are supposed to have this incredible rush of amazing feelings so that's something that i think is frustrating for a lot of us looking at young people not wanting to vote strategically >> the next question i talked to
8:14 pm
a friend that voted for trump and when i asked about the ground" and nasty women and on and on some o, the response wast know why but that stuff just doesn't bother me. i had no reply to that. what would you have sent? >> this is a question that has come up i was surprised to find out that there were people in my life i did vote for trump and for me it is a dealbreaker and i never want to speak to them again, but we have to because they showed that holidays. they were like i just didn't like it very.
8:15 pm
not an answer. i find it an unspeakable act. i tried with one person. with the other two, we just didn't speak of it. though one person who told me, she actually hates him and want him to be impeached. so, i think that the response i would have is you know he's not joking. it's not just about race culture. it is rarely. it is a whole realm of hatred. like he has no respect for you and that comes out in legislation and the kind of things he is going to do in office.
8:16 pm
>> the next question how do you explain 53% of the women voters voted for trump? >> this is a fun question that comes up a lot. it's important to note white women vote for republicans, always. the majority vote for republicans. actually she did a little bit better. dan president obama in 2012 and so i think it is complicated. some of the focus group information it was clear to they either didn't like hillary because their husbands didn't or they didn't like her because she wasn't warm enough. they wanted her to evoke some
8:17 pm
stereotypical nurturing warmer and aesthetic in her presentation which is what men and society at large expect of us so because she wasn't doing that, she's shrill. >> another thing they said is that she felt entitled. in some ways it was internalized misogyny and that was one of the most frustrating moments because coming from the feminist blogosphere it was obvious to me but it was hard to relay the message from people who didn't come from that speech, people coming from the capitol hill, they don't really understand it in the same way understanding
8:18 pm
women can also be misogynist and women can hate other women and so i think it's important and rebecca remind everyone in her terrific piece that she's written about hillary clinton that white women vote for republicans, so i think that will be fought an filed and shes in her book, all these black people voted for obama. why were women not voting for a woman and grace was a bigger motivator than gender. so in part it is important to understand white women vote for republicans and also gender is more complicated and in some ways, i think now sitting here today i think the first woman president might be a woman of color because of the way it's getting people to support a
8:19 pm
particular candidate and identify them that way. >> is it going to be nikki haley? [laughter] [inaudible] i'm pretty sure she is setting herself up, she looks like the adult among this circus that we watch everyday on television. every day on television. but it's interesting because i think that again she is still going to have to get those white women to vote for her and there is just something about their place in our society that is different than women of color. when we speak out and we are assertive, we kind of have to be because i'm always the only black person in the room. and i'm always the only black woman in the room a lot, so to
8:20 pm
speak out and make people uncomfortable over time and i think white women are cultured in a different way and that is the results that we saw. >> this question directed to you and everyone else, how to walk the line without keeping him to focus because he lives for that attention. >> i just really don't care what he does or how he feels unless his actions have a particular effect on the lives of people. i feel like there is the impulse to say i'm not going to do something because somehow it will make him feel better but the thing is our job as citizens isn't to care about the personal feelings of our president leading the country.
8:21 pm
like trump himself created about entire dynamic which the entire nation is beholden. so to my vantage point i think that i will be as anti-trump as i want and that will be the action to get people to rally against him. >> when he came down the elevator and said the crazy stuff about the very fine people marching, that's because he was the retired because people have been protesting outside of the tower almighty and he could hear them and that is the first time that he was in new york since
8:22 pm
the election. that's why he's always freaking out as the coverage turns you will get the fake news so yes it is attention but he is a narcissist. so some people do so successfully. one of the questions that came through the audience member was asking whether he used the nasty women line on the mayor of san juan puerto rico. and she went on tv today with a nasty shirt on.
8:23 pm
this is a tough one maybe you can try this. how are you dealing with the distrust of the media and how do we move forward to get the message is out there? how do you do that? >> there's my personal distrust with the media. the first thing i did is cancel my "new york times" subscription. i am a midwesterner so why do not have that lifelong reverence for the times that a lot of people have come about if need be so angry. i have to un- follow seeing the way that people are trying to play down russia and play a flurry clinton's mistakes,
8:24 pm
suddenly everyone has used private e-mail servers to. i have a lot of anger and distrust about that. it's everywhere. it's in a lot of the publications that i still read but then there's the other aspect of the people that say it is fake news, thinks russia. i've been saying for a long time but they need to learn more than anything is how to evaluate sources just even when we were dealing with this interact with
8:25 pm
information to say this is links to the material and the people you can trust this has been fact checked or even just the basic level of reality. i think that is something that we are going to have to teach more and more. critical thinking has to be starting in first grade at this point. >> i'm going to do one last question for everybody. there's a couple of components i will ask them all. how do you get involved to join an organization how can we help with the movement? you can supply specific answers
8:26 pm
or general ones about the strategy tactics and things to do, not to do. >> i wanted to say i think that feminism right now in terms of looking at one movement isn't necessarily the right way to look at it. i think that there are different applications of feminism and there is a lot of ways of amazing activism happening right now in the organizing work in different areas that all require funding. i think that while the aclu got a ton of money after the muslim ban there are other groups doing organizing around reproductive rights and the assault groups and i also think immigration rates come activism and a lot of the work happening around suicide prevention. there's so many issues that are so deeply under resourced and a
8:27 pm
lot of exciting and innovative work happening that are one way to get involved. you could buy this book and give it to somebody also. [laughter] >> there's a lot of ways to answer this, and i'm going to go with the middle-aged white woman answer which is a sort of started joking not joking. screw it, i'm done. i am an an emily's list feminism now. pro-choice democratic women is that i'm going to focus on. and so a move to florida and i'm like once i'm done with this to her i want to get involved in the campaign for the governor. [inaudible] [laughter] >> that is a good idea though, specifically to avoid winter. [laughter]
8:28 pm
i'm happy to be voting in a state that it feels like i count. i've only lived in illinois and new york otherwise. so everybody is going to get more answers than that but also support the democratic pro-choice candidates and to add to that, one other reaso of theo many women are hesitant to run outside of being trolled and ridiculed out of the public space and watching what happened is there's a huge gap in fundraising for what thfundraisn candidates can fund raised and what the male candidates can fund raise. >> move to the red states. >> move to wyoming and we can flip that one pretty easily as i understand it. >> it's hard because i think we look at it like you sort of have to be feminist in every moment. if you see something happening around you problematic it's safe to call about and might be uncomfortable in the office or the school or with a family member. you have to be the person to have that conversation.
8:29 pm
and you know, i often use my dad as an example. i'm the daughter of two pastors, not just wind coming into my dad was a republican in 2004. i use him as an example is a rational thinker. because he's a rational thinker i used him to figure out how to make convincing arguments to work. so i made him a port of the manager quality. what if it is this and then he's like, you know, you have a point. [laughter] so i think, you know, the practice trained me to sort of talk and debate and do it all in public, but also it means people can change their minds. you can vote for ronald reagan, george bush, george bush, and suddenly be like i'm not going to do that. the war in iraq actually changed my mind, and i'm going to change
8:30 pm
my position on that issue. i'm going to support marriage equality. i love obama. i'm going to support hillary clinton. i know what she's saying when she talks about people being sexist. getting a message like i can't believe how they are treating her. i use this as an example, because we all have people in our lives that have different views or savings that i never thought about it that way. i'm like, i know you didn't. that's why we are having this conversation.

33 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on