Skip to main content

tv   2017 Miami Book Fair  CSPAN  November 19, 2017 12:50am-2:16am EST

12:50 am
saxophone and. >> host: we will take one more call from south carolina. >> caller: our you? i always have five or 10 books by wanted to do, walter isaacson. one of his books the innovators was so wonderful to and giving them the credit for the computers. he is wonderful i tried to read everything he has written's. >> host: it is good to hear from you by the you
12:51 am
spend half ofla the your interested have been made i am glad you called pergonal switching gears. the newest book is called bobby kennedy. you refer to him as a misfit? imagine growing up the younger brother of joe kennedy, jr. both six-footers confident in a diligent this little guy you call him arunta the irish kid that would not get the land and so i think what happened is to develop into the. then in with the was
12:52 am
interested in those places. but he cared about the pow. and had to do the fact he was overlooked. >>. >> he had that tremendous affection for girl in blesses read though long way. isn't the irish catholic? in ben condemning him. in with the reagan airport.
12:53 am
and then he drank themselves to death and was so distraught that he drove through the airport three times. and said that is what made a difference. bin to have no benefit to anybody. just to show respect. >> chris matthews was your earlier. >> using the phrase in the 1968 campaign looking for
12:54 am
the national soul. what was, he looking for?. >> empathy ity unity i think i can i give away the white working-class so to go through cities like gary indiana in the middleweight champ ian he wanted to establish a political home to overlook the of white americans. and to make a point where the reasons i wrote the book. but the very poor white families saluting him.
12:55 am
patriotism in the of military these people larger pourur and then with those african-american kids he was campaigninglo for. to bringing people together is so different than politics today. and then to attack the other portion just to bring people together. >> would he have won the nomination?. >> he had a shot. but i think i could have predicted that he would have had the challenge to new york with the liberals. having a hard time to convince those. but here where humphreyy, had the johnson team behind him. to think how that turned out
12:56 am
with the writing is writing. if he had walked away then something would have been different. magic could have occurred. it could have just erupted. nixon was spooked the recess bought but then mixing kids like the "twilight zone." the not knowing where this will and. >>t: host: mid march. march 30th 1968 lbj. >> but one old kennedy he
12:57 am
and. but he gave them the poll numbers. but all of the experts on johnson and. he feared humiliation the most. is to not want to look like a loser. and he was afraid of that. >> host: did bobby kennedy flip-flop his position on the vietnam war? iraq yes. february the 1966 and settled in one of those responsible i believed in them.
12:58 am
it with those negotiations with the political wing of the vietet cong. is though the deal that nixon struck was far softer. id also to have that western foothold. >> where you 1968?. >>. >> montreal. a lot off people were like that. i have never been out of the country so i went. we were all looking around watching the debate. said you're telling us
12:59 am
what to watch. but that morning when i woke up around 3:00. and i turn on the radio in said it will give up you have to watch and listen to this. is sound like the kennedy assassination that i realized it t isn't a rerun. it is us second killing of a kennedy. i was at chapel hill in north carolina. >> i remember watching the funeral. so i watching back and thinking it is a like the
1:00 am
terrible beauty of the kennedy funeral like all love the tolerance in the beauty is just a loss. >> you say in your book you were considering staying up there?ou. >> guest: i never said that. first of all. >> host: i thought that i i that. >> guest: i never would have done that. at that time i did not want to put on a uniform you could look good. my roommate became a five-year the officer.
1:01 am
>> but why the book now?. >> so before that i came to believe how powerful as the leader on a civil-rights he even taught jack in '63 and really got up to the cuban missile crisis in he was being amended as the negotiation. he also went to the group is devise the president is simply cannot be w like the japanese. we will not kill a bunch of cubans of the big raid on cuba we're not that kind of country. there was a moral compass so yes we want to write the book but in the final draft heroes and we like a the end unity and a moral compass.
1:02 am
>> host: refer we go too far away too read straight from here because i overstated what you do right is flirty a moment doubt weekend as i sat of the park bench steadying a list of notes to myself. these were my options on what tot do the aisle that deferment was in the blue negative turkey into a pumpkinot said the bond offering in venture beecher to them was the peace corps. stick i was thinking of becoming a national health officer and then to take the of this meant and then being a public information officer because then i would third have to write. >> raging spirit is the of book please go ahead.
1:03 am
>> and i gave you a shout out. this climate we are presently and also to tell rachel zero little the the who is seven years old. >> rachel and i are good friends a great person individually. i know that she knows that it is through the roof.
1:04 am
>> mission give good afternoon. >> caller: mr. matthews mr. matthews, it seems to be the conspiracy theorists' to go away last night i saw a canadian television broadcast of more evidence of people talking about president kennedy's assassination. of the of conspiracy.
1:05 am
>> guest: was body part of the conspiracy to kill his brother. >> caller: it is silly. >> guest: it is awful to even repeat. >> caller: i do not believe it. > host: ken you wrap this up to make your last point so mr. matthews can respond?. >> caller: is there any way that can end all of the conspiracy stuff. >> guest: here is what i think. there are to a sentence for conspiracy theories. they areve recognizable. what is we are trained in our fiction the and literature whether it is
1:06 am
moriarty your sherlock holmes there is always a great bad guy. butre those are little people. those people that commit mass shootings have no good life to live. so we need to get back to the reality. oh god of progressives cannot live with the fact in bed with that time they were on theed right. in those are the facts. so long before they had the motorcade for robert --
1:07 am
robert kennedy. of those believed with the kennedy conspiracy. it is just one long between the if you ask me when? i can because the facts don't work. >> now faces from simon & schuster. >> body has a connection in affection that the street level tuesday i think i know that guy. is worked for everything. in the cuban missile crisis.
1:08 am
civil-rights, no interest. opinion realize is the hatred that is going on. in m he got into it and then joe mccarthy vat was the bad guy. smueller of the people that you love far wrong. and theyed got tired of chasing the bad guys. >> fact jack was elated and bobby was awkward. making his presence felt. >> yes. he would t say he says he is for me but i don't think he is. so keep me out of it.
1:09 am
it then baby duet. but then back in 52 but then he is elected into the senate that you will lose their reelection he said keep me out of the. so here is a great example worked for urd tip o'neill. can you give me the credentials? give me your credentials. give them to my little brother. lahood does he think he is?. >>us houston texas. >>. >> caller: dealer reason i touched because you say
1:10 am
mccarthy is the bad guy but but will they exonerated nazi criminals?. >> guest:. >> is a conspiracy theory. >> guest: i don't know. >> host: day question or comment?. >> caller: i have not gotten your book yet but reedy arthur schlesinger's journals with those interactions they have had brought back at history. i know it is a hypothetical
1:11 am
but what is the difference in this country if bobby was notna assassinated?. >> into fake them elected so let me tell you we would not have this by definition but if you go to washington have the people were killed after 69. is clearly that is one result. but as the war went on the country was very divided with hard hats and the working people. and then the country was divided. and then still living the legacy. so if we could have ended
1:12 am
thatul faster it is the better result. glading from 73 that is what they wanted us to do. the nett would be easiest thing to negotiate. between 69 and 73. >> host: you talk about those that were swayed. >> and it could have carried him?. >> the talk about people being dazzled or swayed by the name. >> guest: resawed the 64 democratic convention and we walked out there there was 20 minutes of applause like nothing i had ever seen.
1:13 am
they serve the invoked his brother they saw jack when you go through a crowd there applause but that was for jack parker think the canadian team the pens of the person attended the -- teddy kennedy did not. but it is a good door opener but the guy in the louisiana republican somebody said this is what happens. to the name that they had urged the name and. >> what was jfk is the approval rating early november?. >> i remember looking as a
1:14 am
kid and it was close. but presidents were reelected in thosebo days. not even hoover that was the great depression but i don't think nixon would have run a thing he would have been goldwater but he was afraid of rockefeller when he got divorced leaving the kids to the first husband that keel -- killed the deal nobody when do that it was a deal breaker so it was very hard. he was very much leave me alone and let me live my life. then you get older and realize we do need social security.
1:15 am
>> what are you reading right now?. >> tonight i think i will read shattered because i hear that it is good. i will notee read anything for six months after writing and editing then you are trapped in the end every weekend and going to bed exhausted. this is the best thing i got your doing with the spirit of whatever the of politics. is this about glamour. but to make himself better all his life. trying to make yourself a better man.
1:16 am
>> what of the things that i learnedin going into indianapolis.n' thet: police would not escort him?. >>. >> it is all state university and said when most white people then african-american he gets word he was killed by a white guy. and then gets to indianapolis. going through a ghetto neighborhood is a tough neighborhood the police would go with him. is a flatbed truck. , do they know yet? did he says no.
1:17 am
so everybody with black faces telling them that the greatest hero of history was shot by a white person. he could not do it. for so he took off his skin so all and that has to come from vulnerability. you have to find some way. to save my brother was killed by a white man. i do know is suffering is. i should not say this but to save repairs and thoughts are with you. , all and. but he prayed all the time. what say a prayer for our
1:18 am
country. with the only human being that could have done that. he lost of brothers and a sister.si into had a lobotomy performed but surrounded by death than the good things of life. >>. >> you have been doing a very good job isn't to have you been telling people this
1:19 am
is the roadmap for what is going on right now?. >> gail is right my books and the and when i get around to writing the research the facts. event talking. about in to it is easy to play one side or the other. is to say how great your sidede is. and right across the board is moral authority. what you wanted a leader.
1:20 am
if the president knew the situation and we don't have that right now. and with the abortion rights toward gay rights but a sense ofng right and wrong doing the right been. >> good afternoon connecticut's. >> caller: how're you? one simple question and one observation. and with of the definition of what that motive was bobby kennedy's assassin? was as anybody else involved?ch you have a very
1:21 am
difficult time staying complimentary things about conservatives and just noticed that about your work. keep up the good work. >> guest: did with that first race i thought that was real and i said so. there are limits but i do think assassins. but there is say politics behind it except in the case of think the.
1:22 am
the christians did not like his policies so why was he so pro-israel? coming from the of primary with educated intellectual voters the serene rolfe awful liberal. that they didn't really like the old man. sole body had to go overboard and then supporting over the table selling them under the table there were all ladies are mean israel. in to believe he made it clear that was his motive.
1:23 am
>> is to be there physically bulletsed those come from the gun. it is it's complicated he has been in prison ever since he asked for him to be spirited not w executed. it is a complicated like the others. >>. >> obama, w. w father, mrs. clinton, al gore. joe biden.
1:24 am
jimmy carter. i worked for him as a speechwriter. >> ronald reagan? period and i had some picture-taking sessions with him. i was very good friends with the is the over the last 20 years m because my mom died of alzheimer's.ki i went to a thing with an anti-saying what was worse than the shooting losing the company of her husband and my dad lost the company of his soul mate. and then going to dinner and then to say secret service?
1:25 am
and then would say things with those big plastic venues with those hollywood stars to call the old guy over. where is romney? he's not here. even sec. she is a treat to hang out with. >> bobby kennedy his latest book. >> it is an honor to be here. >> host: next we will hear from seven rushdie.
1:26 am
they you will be speaking in we will conclude today in we will be alive tomorrow. [inaudible conversations] >> good afternoon. good afternoon. i hope everyone is enjoying the fair. yes? [applause]
1:27 am
bin to get started with the interest of time. is to be very pleased to welcome all of you to the miami book fair and we're proud to bring it to miami isn't as recounted the miami book fair each year and every year. would not be possible collaboration and support for our mini and hundreds of volunteers and also the local high school. in in with that support that they provide to be generous
1:28 am
and those that come together to make the book fair what it is today. and to always of knowledge you. [applause] in the chip and every time. in this means said great deal to us. so i have the sole mr. rushdie is a world renowned novelist and s --
1:29 am
sas. and has heard numerous distinctions to be a fellow of the brewery -- british rail writer in residence for her at that institute from york university. but his second novel was deemed the best novel but there are so many other accolades i could mention but time is short but and and having made appearances here a boon to today we'll
1:30 am
talk to us about one of the newest lovell's please give a warm welcome to you our guest. [applause] >> things for coming. it is always good to be here. but howge he has been traveling with his book a very long time and i have felt his paid. but by the time you get
1:31 am
toward this point of the book tour you wonder what routes you really want to say is that i leave, my work has been working its way towards america for very long time. back in the late nineties in that second half but that was a very different america and when i was 24 or 25 years old. in that other the york to be guilty in in the baroque.
1:32 am
so my first trip but gradually and will it work rate closer to the present
1:33 am
but this summer in new york really. the first tier i have moved in federal i have written like this about the first page but that i thought barry be a satirical committee and on the day of publication a hathor whom but nobody did any that year but one year later i thought i would read from it and i
1:34 am
had no idea because everything was still pretty raw. did i felt this stowe jeff of the of the ninth but i remember at that time in the comic strip one of the characters said i really messed september 10. i did have been york novel that was barry taylor the
1:35 am
eric but there isn't much more for me to do down this particular road. so do something else and do something opposite. so this novel in part is the in search of those instructions to itself which is to hold the plane up never mind and to write to a novel but to prepare for which have said books that
1:36 am
we try to do with was going to but this is a very famous model but after telling the truth he was not much use. but with that acts go initiative but to be
1:37 am
portrayed with unscrupulous realism. with incredible social detail of because it is headed west with such minute details for her of the he not but he seems to capture
1:38 am
it and put on the page over that time. i tried but what could go wrong? you cannot just assume that you know, this story so in this novel. with the patriarch has been very involved with organized crime back to the original country of bombay. by the way the man who calls
1:39 am
himself golden oldie tells people what he thinks of himself. [laughter] this is not a modest man but in order to create you might have to find out the bomb bay criminal which was extremely enjoyable. [laughter] then he has these three sons. one iss. brilliance but high functioning autistic whether they can and do that or not
1:40 am
i have a couple of friends. >> i hope that is true with "the reader" did his book -- more than there were at the beginning. >> line of death of his of the novel was to be confused
1:41 am
but the internet is the place where did and japan so it is difficult for re of death to distinguish with but truth has become but to have a contract but as you read the and when but to get
1:42 am
a grip is pharao was hidden
1:43 am
in'' the. >> but then to think the book was part of beijing ted heath.
1:44 am
[applause] soon could waft - - cup crab so then there was another one.
1:45 am
but it wasn't even a political context but with people's obsession with grown-ups cover all of wall street or whenever. >> a story with this story broke hidden the hidden emphasize specially it involvesd because this is to
1:46 am
the fed to ruth.
1:47 am
[laughter] is then completely fictitious for row boat really it is a surprise.
1:48 am
toio the book. ft then to see as a bet now
1:49 am
is in your city in florida and is much admired doing the work kids will do. she doesn't want a mere man but a protector fifth but the children living in the hearts of the forest of
1:50 am
though really mean that sure to the on the other side but in miami. officials. [laughter] why else? the vendor build houses at the end of the island on the to madrid 50th with carl fisher and in exchange for the island in to be accused at the time of watergate that bought the
1:51 am
island from the guy from the guy from the guy. that has the observatory is a good peacocks because gold have classic of this holiday season after the new year's eve dance laid down with the security guards guarding tools in the man who bought the tools and wiring their property also there is it november through april love affair. my money for your beauty and shake hands on that. so after words everything
1:52 am
you want is yours. and on the first night this is not a shock to him but added his comfort zone she said tuesday printed card the size of a post card and go through the details. obviously they should not stay in the house it is family-owned for yourself and your negative own negative sons tuesday for ease of access this is also my preference. for how many years? think about it.
1:53 am
>> so the question arises and also with the gucci pravda. it goes without saying. so i must comport myself because those categories i recommended generosity. perfect you will not regret it. i will be perfect i speak english, french and german battalion japanese and russian iced tea and water ski serfin and run and swim the flexibility i retain.
1:54 am
>> in the coming days if equip it is needed to assist for ruth constructed or a playroom i will make sure it is done immediately with the greatest discretion note other man will touch me i will not toleratema any inappropriate evinces you must have the exclusivity ended the shores i promise. but this is the matter of marriage. wesaboorian her voice. as for why have order is standing only as a white flight and truly have this so intel bin and the happiest and most loyal but my honor is important to me for good you understand of
1:55 am
course, you are the most understanding me and i have never met. [laughter] [applause] so yes my unexpected the popular villain so there it is. new york in america is that the heart of it is a mystery from across the world but it isar very interesting the first time i have written ae book which could be described something as a mystery going to enormous links to change their identity. so to write such a book and
1:56 am
then constructing it backwards to know exactly when to drip the affirmation into their years. with the deliberateness direction the president is good at this. but it was fun to ride it offered hitchcock helped me to do this. strangely to be 100 yards away. and the centralor setting in that communal garden.
1:57 am
and then to enact those stories while being watched but hitchcock is the great master off suspense bin deterioration -- of hitchcock and then you find thewi secret and i hope you like it.t. [applause] >> we have tenner 12 minutes for questions. >> with like to know. >> do?.
1:58 am
> you could not have named two more different writers. that i felt to have that french realist tradition the book is not magic realistic but for example, the one moment in the novel at the very beginning of thent novel
1:59 am
which is almost like the cinematic assume that is staying in the city there is this particular neighborhood with this kind of people living in it. in this house it is obviously occupied in the middle of the room is a chair so by the time you get to her you already know so much about her so i thought it was a brilliant device so that the best thing you can do is deal it. [laughter] >> william faulkner would plagiarize the technique. . . wonderful answer
2:00 am
which only faulkner could have given, when i'm in the throes of my genius. and i don't know any writer who would do differently. he was right about the second part, refer to the throes of genius. >> i don't have a prolific question. i would like to know what it was like to work with larry david. the show was totally improvised. >> it was fun. i met him a couple times, touching me out of the blue, he
2:01 am
had written this thing and don't want to be in it. what thing is bad and cut i see a script? that is difficult because there is no script. i said can you tell me something? he told me about two or three sentences. that sounds funny, i will do it. then there was a moment of thinking how would it be if i were the only person in curb your enthusiasm who was no good? but surrounded by convenience, good at improv, good at making you feel comfortable. on a given scene, you are supposed to get there today, how you do it is up to you. there are certain lines i am proud of, with 60 pixie dust,
2:02 am
that is my life and there is a bit that is cut out. if you go to the curb your enthusiasm facebook page and there is a deleted scene, i can see why they cut it, in between the two scenes, to visit in my house, unbelievable mansion, then we go to the restaurant, to the restaurant, are there female butlers, there are a few, he says nothing would be better than a female butler because there's the possibility of sex. i say no, there is a fool in the butlering world, what is
2:03 am
the rule? don't -- that was my life. anyway. all i can say is two of the most enjoyable days i had for a long time. >> speaking of fat well. i was a 6 you make in tehran, on national tv, my mom told me this is why you shouldn't criticize islam. over 28 years, i am in x muslim still being told by americans and canadians i shouldn't criticize islam but this time in the name of diversity. my question is how do you see the dynamic between islamic culture and western culture play out? what would you suggest to me as
2:04 am
the best approach to westerners, some sort of a balance. >> say what you think, there is nothing else, you can't second-guess people. if you believe things to be true you should say them. islam is not immune to criticism. no set of ideas is because they pay lip service to a god. [applause] i don't see any reason to give
2:05 am
religious ideas respect. you have to make a distinction between human beings and ideas racism should be called out, that is fine. that doesn't mean you have to pussyfoot around ideas you don't think are right. if you say the world is flat i have to tell you you are an idiot. then you have to be allowed to tell me why you think it is flat. it looks flat. that i tell you you are an idiot again. there has to be free play in the discussion of ideas that include theological ideas. you have to distinguish between that and attacking human beings for different things and they get blurred in this conversation and have to be kept apart.
2:06 am
[applause] >> a very long subject, i don't have time. that is much of i can do. >> will there be a balance between islamic culture and western culture? >> i have no idea, no sign of it yet. >> >> and i was born and raised, i learned about christianity in 2006, and started to question it and wrote a comedy screenplay, if it was told from a feminist mary magdalene's point of view, refusing to call god, i got a lot of pushback once it was finished, what have i written about? as someone who getting the sam
2:07 am
>> it was very difficult. a book you might be interested in given what you just said is the master and margarita, tells the story of jesus from the point of view of pontius pilate. it is only one of the narrative strategies in reasonably good . you discover you are more resilient than you thought you were. i'm glad to be at the end of
2:08 am
the story because it was a long time ago. the satanic verses was my fifth published book. this is my 18th. most of my life as a writer comes after it. feels like a long time ago. i am proud of it and pleased the first is less, the book is finally being read just as a novel, being studied in colleges and so on and has the life of a novel. some love it, some hated and some are in between and that is the ordinary life of a book. i am glad to have that life, small principal called free expression which is worth fighting for, in these times and administration which is keen on the second amendment but not so keen on the first.
2:09 am
[applause] >> let me try to answer. let me touch on it. regarding christopher hitchens, have you speculated much -- >> it is very difficult. christopher hated the clintons. christopher's dislike of the clintons was pathological. what -- far too smart to buy into trumpland but he would have been conflicted but i don't know, we need them but don't have him. thank you.
2:10 am
[applause] >> thank you, salman rushdie, for gracing us again. [applause] >> salman rushdie will be signing his book on this floor on the other side of the elevator. >> to begins the next program. [inaudible conversations]
2:11 am
♪ >> you are watching booktv on c-span2, live coverage of the miami book fair which began in 1984. for the last 20 years booktv has been covering it live, held on the campus of miami dade college in downtown miami. and joining us is one of the cofounders, doctor eduardo petrone who has a day job at miami-dade college. anytime we are down here, this looks like a street for but we are in the middle of the college campus. >> absolutely, this is our campus downtown, right here in the center of the city at the
2:12 am
center option in miami, the civic life, political life, books and writers, what -- all year round. in november we do a book fair, hundreds of thousands of people to the campus and from all over the world and booktv. >> host: how many students attend here? >> guest: about 170,000, the largest institution in the nation. >> host: how did you get so big? >> guest: we are an institution. very high quality, very excessive community. this is everyone's college in miami, hardly a household's, nothing touched by this
2:13 am
institution including me. it is an institution, touching the american dream. >> while we were standing here, 7 people walked up and thanked you and said thank you for access, thank you for community. what is your philosophy behind that? >> education is the most important equalizer we have especially in the 21st century. we provide opportunities for 18 and 19-year-olds, we have two high schools in the college, two stops, we also have people in the middle ages, 40 and 50s, to retrain in new
2:14 am
certification, women after raising their children felt it was there chance to get what they need and very much a microcosm of the community and education, in the classroom. book fairs are an example that these book stairs. to be faced with so many books from all over the world to see the writers, the authors than ever imagined they would see. to ask them questions, this is a gift in the miami community and one that almost everyone takes advantage of. >> you and your friends, mitch kaplan of books and books, >> i am from buenos aires, and
2:15 am
to see the length of people to go to a book fair, i came back and said why don't i do that in miami? most people said i was crazy, that people would come to the streets of miami, you have to -- a place and time where everybody was going to december. i invited a group of people, librarians, bookstore owners, if they are willing to work with those to sign a book fair i would find sorts of ways to do it and help and as a leader in that effort, to cochair at that time but now is the chairman. the book fair and that history. a unique individual, keen knowledge of everything in litu

33 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on