Skip to main content

tv   2017 Miami Book Fair  CSPAN  November 19, 2017 2:30am-4:16am EST

2:30 am
interview. and it is a recent three weeks old, and i will hope to avoid -- [applause] which means there are no marital issues to work out on stage it is too new so i was hoping to get a sense from the audience of how many people here already have read the book and how many have not. how many have read the book? so we have a lot of curious, maybe on the fence buyers i think that's helpful because we can start with -- things that go to the beginning of this story. because the donald trump trajectory and katy tur trajectory are entwined in a very fascinating way, and in the very same way that he -- is is a political neophyte who meads unexpected progress in his primary campaign and became
2:31 am
president, kay here was not a political reporter when afl this began. so -- could you tell the nice people it shall [laughter] what it was that you were doing -- >> judgment whether they're nice until after they buy the book. [laughter] buy the book -- so i was a foreign correspondent an living in london, and i jus came back to new york for a couple of days. to remind my bosses that i exist because they have a tend stoi forget who you when you're overseas unless there's major news happening and it was a slow period, and i showed up in the newsroom and i'm standing around with one of my colleagues, and donald trump was making headlines. e he had just announced that he was running for president. and in doing so said mexico was sending rapist into the country. so -- macy's dropped the donald trump brand from its stores.
2:32 am
univision said we're not going to air your pageant any long asker and nbc qoangt either, and this was a ballooning story that needed to be covered. and they needed someone to cover it. but there aren't going to put a political reporter on it because why would you put a political reporter on donald trump? i mean he's a side show it is done in a few dayses. [laughter] so they said who is around to do this, and someone yelled outty she's just standing around. [laughter] which i was -- i corp.ed one story, and then two then three and i was told the president of nbc news wanted to assign me the campaign full-time. and i freaked out. [laughter] i thought -- a myriad of things, one, i was living overseas. and i was not living in new york. two, i have a vacation in sicily
2:33 am
in a week and a french boyfriend who i'm supposed to go on it with i'm sorry tony. [laughter] and oh, my god they don't take me seriously if they're going to put me on the donald trump campaign they must think i'm a joke as well. [laughter] but e i called a friend of mine who had covered mitt romney in twefs and he had been urging me to do a political campaign at least once. because he said it was -- unlike anything else you will do. it's grueling but it's fascinate i called him and he urged me to do it after he stopped laughing because it wases donald trump. and i said yes. and i was assured by a boss that it would be six weeks tops. [laughter] and then he said and -- if he goes to the white house you'll be white house correspondent. [laughter] he starts laughing steps into an elevator door and elevator door shuts. >> important thing it was
2:34 am
cinematic in its moment. >> you know it's not an important assignment when the confers takes place in a hallway as elevator doors shut. this was a come to my office assignment -- >> in the beginning trump was having gatherings to later become the pastorallies that cable networks would carry in their entirety but they were much, much smaller you're i think the very first one or one of the very first ones in new hampshire. could you talk a little bit about that? and many contrast to what most of us have seen later, and also the -- the interesting way in which trump and you seem to be in a die ma'amic from the very beginning. >> so first rally i went to was one of the first donald trump rallies and this was around backyard pool at a private home in new hampshire there was about a couple of hundred people. remember at this time nobody was taking its candidacy seriously. they thought that he was just trying to get some attention an
2:35 am
confusing because people or companieses were dropping him. why was he trying to get all of this negative attention? as so assums is was he wouldn't -- laugh to the debate, and even if he did he would get laughed off stage and he probably wouldn't want to release his financial since secretive about his money. so at this backyard pool where there were only a couple of hundred people, mostly it was just people wongdingering what in the world donald trump was doing. i mean he was on stage. rambling -- he had no coherent threads for why he was campaigning except for -- i want to build a wall, and i believe that mexico is sending racist and media didn't caveat with me with some market people and i get more standing vaitions than anybody, and katy tur you're not paying attention. [laughter]
2:36 am
in the middle of this i presumed he was never talking to me because yadz never met him or shared same air as him and no reason in my mind for donald trump to know who i was, and my producer gave me a hard nudge since the entire place is looking at me and -- as is donald trump. and i just yelled out i'm tweeting what you're saying which i was doing and which he approved of because he said i was doing a good job and he moved on. but that became the dynamic between two of us and that was the very first day calling me out while he was on stage either for work that he approved of or more often than not work that he disapproved of. >> why do you think he took an a particular interest of you particularly in the beginning -- [laughter] i'll let you have your own assums but i'll let you have this. donald trump wants to be taken seriously. and i was the very first network
2:37 am
correspondent assigned to cover his campaign full-time. and that is -- an honor when you have a presidential candidate that means that a tv news network a broadcast network something list legacy of nbc news has decided to o assign a reporter full-time to you that means they're taking you seriously so he must have seen me as somebody very early on that he wanted to charm into submission. somebody that he could rely on for favorable coverage also remember -- we're nbc news and he has a long standing relationship with nbc because we air the apprentice. and then there were large swath of time before any other correspondents were assigned toughs cover him full-time. so we would i would go to cities across this country where i would be the only recognizable face in a room for donald trump. other o reporters that would come o up to him for interviews were mostly local reporters he didn't know who they were so we
2:38 am
engage one-on-one quite a bit. and he came to -- pay much more attention to my reporting than he probably would have -- had had i started the campaign in december or january when there were more correspondents. >>in the beginning you are stayd in the u.s., and you gave up -- an italian vacation -- a french boyfriend, a beautiful apartment in london. a a job exciting and airline miles to follow donald trump a person at that time virtually everybody in the political world consideredded to be a joke. why would you give up so much to cover what was figured out to be so little. >> i was trying -- >> every few weeks i look at you and say we need really to move back to london. >> it's true. >> i loved that job.
2:39 am
it was the dream job for me in foreign correspondent the pinnacle of my career. being a political correspondent for a legacy news network is -- is an extremely coveted job you get to travel the world you get to people people you would never get to meet, and you get to do it while somebody else pays for it. it's perfect. >> did you see something in -- the beginnings of trump that made you think this is going to be worth it? so this is going to be important? >> initially it was a six week assignment soy figurered there was nothing to lose and as it continued, he became -- i guess more captivating, fascinating. i mean, it was a roller coaster and i wasn't about to get off the ride. nobody understood what he was trying to achieve or why so many people were so excited by him and people were still trying to
2:40 am
figure out to this day and i got to sees it and try to understand it myself. and i was not going to say no to that and also being overseas -- again when it gets slow, you can tend to be forgotten and there's a line in the book where -- while was happy overseas it's a, quote, you know from another person saying why be happy when you can be great. and that's kind of what i was thinking in that moment. i have an opportunity to do something great to make a mark, to -- to see history unfold before my eyes. the clees shea but that's really what had a lot of us get into the business to do to watch history in the making. and donald trump love him or hate imhim was history in the making. he was up ending every norm. he was defying political gravity. he was pissing people off. and he was exciting so many others.
2:41 am
everybody thought he would plummet after iowa or after the fall. there were a lot of lines in the sand that the political prognosticators qowld say after that point, it's a cliff or for him. you -- and i can attest to this because i qorng for nbc and msnbc while she was covering trump, and -- we met in the makeup room. >> you were a lone voice of skepticism against the political opinion that he was going to burn out and crash. why were you so confident as a political neophyte on calls to say -- something is happening here? >> i wasn't confident. i mean i started out with a bit of a pipsqueak voice. >> what were you saying that made you think -- >> there was enthusiasm and there was devotion, and in a way that -- the other political
2:42 am
candidates were not receiving, i mean, he went of after john mccain can you remember a time where -- an american politician anybody frankly in public eye that where they went after a veteran or prisoner of war, and american war hero -- and were able to not only get away with it but to see their popularity rise but that's unheards of in hern politic you don't go of a veteran. you do not do it. especially within a republican party you don't do it. [laughter] and donald trump did, and he got disinvitedded from a bunch of republican events. but his poll numbers went with up and few weeks later when he went to o mobile, alabama, 20,000 people showed up for him in mobile, alabama. he said it was 40,000. he's -- [laughter] lying. [laughter] it was 20,000 --
2:43 am
he lies about number there were 100,000, 190,000 you have to almost double it. but it goes to show you that -- there was something about donald trump that made whatever he said even if it was offensive it didn't matter people liked it, and i would get on the calls and people who have been doing politics forever, who are well respected who i respect very much to this day. and who have seen it all happen before, who know how thing go, said this is silly season and some are not paying attention by the time fall rolls around football will be back on tv and won't want to watch donald trump rally, it's christmas no, people are going to be with their family by january they're going to get serious about politics donald trump could never win. but these crowds that would show up to events were still huge and they were still so excited to
2:44 am
see him. >> let's talk about that in anybody in the room -- been to a donald trump rally one person in the back, two, three -- i would say fewer than 2% of the audience has been to a rally so for the sake of the 8% of the people who have seen it on tv what is it like to be in the middle of a donald trump rally and in the middle capabled in we're journalists. >> first off a lot of time when you are watching a rally on television something he will say will sound offense i have and you'll presume the room is not with him there is where he crossed line and camera ares aren't picking up add owe in the room or focused on him and you can't tell what's happen hadding and how people are responding. and there were multiparking lot instances of this where he would say something like -- you know there was a crying baby and like get the baby out of here. and he was clearly joking. but on tv it didn't really ring that way.
2:45 am
or -- somebody tweeted something and it's not how it read. but he never lost any room that he was in except for one time you never lost any room that he was in even when he was saying -- why truely wild stuff. he was calling ben carson a serial liar and making some sort of comparison to a child molester in the process. and making fun of him for the belt and stabbing, and it was like it was -- unbelievable in the moment even to the reporters who were like what in the -- is god's name -- dish caught myself is donald trump doing! did ken any get away with this i remember call "today" show saying you have to cover this in the morning this is crazy he did this, and that and people don't care. and they don't care they like it and these are ben carson supporters too they were people saying i'm deciding between donald trump and ben carson and
2:46 am
people who were like evangelical in iowa who looked up to ben carson because he's a leader in the community and donald trump are was just avis rating him calling him names a liar and we talked to them afterwards like he has a point. so i mean he just defied all of the odds. so my point is, these rooms were always with him. and it wasn't just the trump rallies. it was people that i would meet in -- in diners, in gas stations in airport, cab drivers, cab driverses became my bell weather for how well donald trump was doing. and i can tell you cab drivers in new york city cab drivers in washington d.c., cab drivers in miami. cab drivers in -- oh god i don't know all of the states blanking on states like one st. louis, they generally in north carolina, they generally nine
2:47 am
times out of ten requester donald trump supporters. so all walks of life too. >> for those of you who don't know katy's book is a memoir it is not -- an effort to tell a complete story of the inside working of the trump campaign or of the whole election. it is her perspective on all of it and what it was like to be her for 510 days on the trump campaign. and because it is a memoir, i would like are to hear you talk about how you thought about covering donald trump and how you dealt with the criticism, his camp put on you and your colleagues. and whether any of the criticism of the media that the trump campaign currently purrs still pursues is fair. >> i think you watch my tv show so much because you asked me seven questions in one. committed these different -- >> no i have reject the criticism this is now or o now cable news show we're going to -- >> i asked the first question
2:48 am
how did i -- >> how do you think you covered donald trump -- fairly and accurately and how did you think about that coverage? i think i covered donald trump fairly and accurately. i think i was tough on donald trump day in and day o out which is part of the reason why he kept calling me out on stage. i think he deserves deserved tough coverage i think anybody who runs for president deserves about as tough of coverage as you can give them because they're running to leave this country, and you want to be as thorough as you possibly can be boats on republican sides and democratic side independent side doesn't matter. that person needs to be fully fully vetted by the press. even if it make you understand comfortable because it is candidate. so i think i did it fairly. i think -- it was difficult because he would say things that were untrue over and over and over
2:49 am
again, and then there were times where he got treated he did get treated unfairly in a rally or some perception and go on tv to say he was joking and let me tell you what was happening in the room because it didn't read correctly on tv or online. but -- criticism-of-the- media in general for the way that can cover donald trump i do think that question need to look back at 2016 to figure out how to do 2020 to make sure we do it as well as we possibly can -- i do think that involves not just coverage of the candidate and not just, you know, a -- a good rinsing of their opinions a goods wash and rinse of their opinions and their policies and their behavior. but also covering the voters a little bit more. i think we could have done a better job talking to people every day. not just talking to people but putting them on television every single day and talking about
2:50 am
issues they cared about in their communities because all politics are local and each community was voting based on what they wanted to change in their community and that's why so many -- unlikely voters for donald trump came out on november 8th ands i palace where you expect a democrat to win places where -- obama won twice. people who voted for president obama twice ended up voting for donald trump because of economic issues. they decided willfully to ignore all of the outrailous things he said and did because they were looking for -- a hope and change that they were promised the previous eight years they didn't see it happening in their commit they didn't see their happening quality of life improve, and there was a feeling like donald trump might despite all of his many issues might be a person to shake the system up. there was a gamble that was done for a lot of people, and we need to in 2020 ask those people if
2:51 am
they think that their gamble paid off. >> i covered trump rallies oned outside covering the voters who were going in, and there was a time when the outside of the rallies were so violate that riot police were routinely a part of -- the control where fight would break out. where ugly ugly things were yelled and then on the inside it sometimes seemed it was even worse. what ow how safe did you feel in the middle of those crowds when donald trump himself was pointing in hissing in your direction by name? >> you compartmentalize and you covered one rally i think on the inside -- while i was hiding in miami for a day. >> oh -- yeah. you compartment allize and people could come up to the pen and scream obscenities at us.
2:52 am
day in and day out they would call us names, call us liar say that we should be harmed physically spit on us. any sort of -- behavior you can imagine. that happened towards the press. and there were times where we all, i mean, we were all more guarded to ends of the campaign than on edge buzz you just can't help it but there were times where people really felt like safety was on the line. there was a rally in new orleans where -- protesters stopped the rally and crowd got really ugly and someone was tripped or they were pushed or something but it seemed like whole crowd was totem public into the press pen which is just this -- bicycle rack gated off area in the middle of the rally. so that was one moment. there was one moment for there were a number of moments but the one that comes to mind i read about in the book was -- the muslim band-aid from
2:53 am
december 12th, 2015 this was in south carolina mount pleasant, south carolina, and we're in the belly of a war ii battleship. and to give you an idea of what was happening a the that time a few weeks earlier san bernardino had happened the terrorist attack in san bernardino. and in response to it, president obama gave a speech on terrorism to the country. and the following day, the follow monday -- donald trump dominating headlines because we're talking about donald trump and terrorism. and he comes out midday without any sort of warning without any sort of heads up. and makeses announcement through a press release that says he wants to ban all muslim from coming into the country and we interviewed people that were waiting to get into this rally to finessed out if e they felt it was a -- god or bad idea. this was people presumed that this was just a bridge too far that this was going to sink him and couldn't possibly try to ban
2:54 am
the entire religion l of people from coming into the country and anti-american. i don't to interrupt but i want you to mention where you were and what it's like when major news on the presidential level happens and your day goes -- sideways. >> we're in south carolina so you can imagine i'm enjoying a really good lunch. [laughter] one of the, you know, there were few and far between so we were at a -- just coming back from lunch at a great place this south carolina. stuffing ourself os with delicious fried to do. and we went back to the hotel, my donald trump with nbc news and if you get the book you'll understand what that means. and -- we ran into another one of our colleagueses who was on his computer, and the e-mail from the campaign popped up on his computer, 30 seconds before it xaim to our phone. and his face just like --
2:55 am
turns white and jaw dropped, cartoonish, and he starts laughing in that like uncomfortable way you laugh when you can't believe something is in front of your eyes, and alley and i look at him and say what in the world are you looking at tell us, tell us he's like look at your phone so we started seriously refreshing our e male and then it comes over. donald j. trump announcing ban on all muslims and no senior did i -- have the phone in my hand and read it and my phone start ised ringing it was -- msnbc saying you have to go live. she describes phone as a shock collar in the book. >> it kind of is. if any any of you were watching capable news you'll know we were on tv constantly every single hour on the hour, and this was one of those blessed days where i had a three hour break so i could actually eat lunch, and my phone rings and they said you have to get on tv and walk us through this. i'm like i don't know anything it be. i just got it on my phone i haven't had a chance to call the
2:56 am
campaign. i have to call my sources -- but that doesn't matter when you're in the world of 24/7 coverage they need you on tv immediately trying to explain even the unexplainable so i call in, and kate snowe and i found this old tape kate snowe and i talked for 10, 15 minutes trying to figure out what this statement means, and how it might affect donald trump's campaign. or how might voters respond to for how might the republican party or democratic party or the political establishment respond to it and we're tap dancing, and just coincidentally msnbc come out that day that showed that republican voters these -- the thing that they feared the most their biggest fear was being the victim of a terrorist attack. so there was that, and how was that going to schwa donald trump supporters opinions where has donald trump been before this and why doing this at this particular moment? blah blah blah so we rush total
2:57 am
venue do these interviews with supporters outside and then go inside to wait for donald trump to arrive and people are angry they're scared as i mention san bernardino had just happened. and donald trump had been saying and was saying with this announcement that the obama administration wasn't vetting people. they weren't vetting people who were coming into the country and that's why these terrorist attacks are happening they're going happen more often. muslims are build bombs in their living rooms. their muslim neighbors aren't telling authorities about it and they're hiding them and the media is complicit because the media isn't reporting on it. they're not reporting on the the failures of the obama administration. so the room was scared. the room was angry and we couldn't find anybody who thought this was a bad idea. the most we got was --
2:58 am
i've got to think about it. the -- the other end of the spectrum it would be what would be better if we took port to muslims. >> and at time that donald trump is making this announcement he's also conducting a twitter feud with you and another reporter. >> he was upset about a tweet that i sent out literally tweets that i sent out a few days earlier at a rally -- in raleigh ten times fast a rally in raleigh -- [laughter] there are five point in the book it's not just political stuff this the book but funny moments. where -- a bunch of protest got organized and they kept interrupting his speech over and over again at like five to ten minute intervals enough to abrupghtly stop talking, and left left the stage . to shake hands with people and i said this is on twitter and he was furious about it.
2:59 am
sent e-mail saying trump thought your tweets were disgrace of the not nice -- best hope. after sending that e-mail had he followed up on his twitter feed tweeting out i'm a lace yarr and should be fired in five tweets and so my twitter feed is full of people calling me a lie your and saying i'm disgusting making fun of me and my family, and -- and also death threats. but when you were -- >> it jumps from digital to real world in belly of that battleship. >> we're in the belly of the battleship as sorry we're jumping around hope you're with following as drowmp is getting on stage to make this announcement this muslim been announcement and it is the atmosphere is it shall tense, i mean, it is a tender box you throw a match in and whole place would with light on fire. it is a -- not a skier rei room but best to
3:00 am
keep a low profile so i'm the sitting like sitting on the platform where the cameras are cameras are all above so i'm kind of keeping my head down because he kawtsed me out i didn't want to -- be visible i didn't want to be as visible as i normally am standing in front of cram. so donald trump starts with poll numbers as he always does -- and he takes stage and before he gets to muslim ban he starts talking about the media. and then he -- saying what a lie it was -- as if the room knew what he was talking about. what a lie it was from katy tur. she's back there little katy. he's pointing -- and i'm like sitting right here he's -- live on every channel. trying to figure out what's going on so it was live and entire room thousands turn at once and start booing at me screaming -- in person saying the things they
3:01 am
were saying online but saying them to my face, and it was nerve wrecking, my phone again starts going off like crazy. not just people on twirts but my colleagues and my bosses and my mom saying what in the world is happening? because she's watching it on television -- are you safe are you okay she's concerned. but i put my -- put my phone off i put it down over here because i have a job to do he's making a major announcement. >> how do you keep doing that job when that kind of attention -- >> i've learned at this point because he's gone of a me so many times i learned at this point in order to defuse the situation -- is smile and you wave. so i did that i smited and i waved at this angry crowd and they got bore ed and turned around. >> how were you personally angry at donald trump? himself -- or --
3:02 am
>> in the moment you let it go because you have a job to do. especially on that night. you let it go. you have a job to do that's what i kept doing. i'm not a part of the story let it go i was frustrated by it i didn't want to be a part of the story i did not want chris matthews to ask it two seconds later which he did -- it is true these are not stories told live on msnbc put them in volume before we go to speaking of doing her job, i'm -- i love the fact that you were one-of-the- first people in america to know about the -- access hollywood tape. [laughter] the grab them by the tame. >> much more interesting today than it was a year ago. >> a fascinating chapter in your story, and i love the -- journalistic process of having to get comment from the trump campaign. so when you're a journalist you
3:03 am
finds something out o and go to the person who is -- who is relevant to what you found out you say what do you think about this? but it's a little different. a slight -- slightly more direct booking plug yes this book is about the campaign but when you get from it is behind the scenes look pulled by curtain so see what it is like and what your lives are like and campaign like behind the scene and treat reporters what are things that they said that may have been appropriate or not. and then in these weird -- history making moments, what is it like to have to put something like that on television? and this was odd because this is a tape that -- was language that you can't put on tv. of a if presidential candidate bragging it seems about being able to assault women.
3:04 am
and they let you do it because you're a star and so i see the tape i exclaim loudly in executive office where i'm being shown it. oh, my god did donald trump say you can grab them by the -- but i said the word in the moment. and -- my boss looks at me she's is like yes he did. we need the campaign to comment on it. weern going to put it on tv right after you get that comment so get a comment write a script, and let's get it on television. and so i e-mail hope and jason and e-mail is picks and jason miller who were communication team on the the trump campaign and e-mail word for word is in the book. and it's something like -- you know, mr. trump said that you can grab them by the -- and he also talked about -- f 'king a married woman with and word for word things did you have a comment -- [laughter] they did not respond. [laughter] but then i have to figure out
3:05 am
how to put all of these rated r things into pg13 format for daytime cable news tv. and so i think -- i -- i said grab them by the p word sexual advances -- which is totally not fair to sexual advances. [laughter] yeah, and i mean it's fascinating looking back the on it seems if anything was going to break this campaign this would the whole place went silent, dark kellyanne conway canceledded tv appearances at the time was unheard of. [laughter] but yeah test interesting to look back on it now especially considering what is happening in the mean to campaign, and how the president is weighing in on al franken talking about a tape that is ignoring fact that he has his own -- anyway questions -- [laughter] >> yes or there are microphones in the center and we can assist
3:06 am
with questions to get right to yours. >> but we -- since we doapght have a lot of time the question not statements. [laughter] okay. first question is -- but his poll numbers went with up and few weeks later when gen- had done. were these tough enough? >> it could have tougher to be honest, and second question is, many of donald trump's most of donald trump's policy adversely effect people who voted for him. do you think that those people will maybe buy knicks so they shouldn't come to realization that they voted for someone that is doing them in. >> you know, i don't know. you're right some of the policies that he's spoken about or enacted the deregulation or -- the rollback of regulation would potentially affect them in a
3:07 am
negative way when it comes to u.s. epa standards. the gutting of obamacare is going to affect a lot of people. this tax plan could potentially raise the taxes of the lower class and palace down the line that might happen, though, until the last election cycle for those roll backs to sees we don't have that full bill voted on yet so it could change. you know i don't know, i mean, it depends on job creation do people, do they have jobs -- is the job better than the jobs they have before? do they want to continue giving him a four more years for another chance to try to push things through is this i don't know. depends. >> i wanted to thank you for being here i admired your coverage and hope you keep at it and i wanted to ask -- how in the world u do you put up with -- these comments from the other side when you offer them to try to give a balance and you know it's nonsense. how can you do any better --
3:08 am
how can therk do any better in the future? >> i have to reject the premise the other side is not -- we -- you have to think about reporters and -- journalists and it's a good rear we're not out to convince anybody how to vote it's not our job to convince trump voters not to votes for him again and democrats to vote for democrats but it's our job to give you all of the information that -- that is out there to fact check where we need to con tech churlize and give you everything you immediate to -- need to make the decision that you want to make. so when people don't have facts behind them i try to push back regardless of whether or not they're a democrat or a republican it's tough right now, though, because -- there's a lot of people have a lot of feel like they have a lot of license to just say fake news. when they decide they don't like something or there's a fact that
3:09 am
they don't like and this is really problematic because it allows people to just decide that anything they don't want to hear they don't have to hear and they don't have to believe and that is going to o i think negatively affect all of us in the future. so my plea to all of you and thank you for asking this so i can give my plea is -- to do your best. to police your facebook feeds your twitter feeds whatever social media you use, and to be very -- critical when you look at certain articles and make sure that you're getting accurate information and you haven't just reading the things that you want to hear. and that you do take a moment to hear other side as well and have conversations with people maybe they didn't vote the same way you did but better to o understand everyone and cotom place where we can talk again. and accept to share facts again so we can -- make better decisions or good decisions in the future.
3:10 am
>> you don't disagree with with something is in your news you're doing it wrong it should be -- it shouldn't be comfortable. thank you. sometimes i watch daily press and meetings with sarah and i want to get up and strangle her so i would like to know how you guys -- [laughter] don't get up and strangle her. >> first of all that's illegal and that's one of the reasons so white house has been -- that is in a place where a press secretary will try to spin news in their favor. that's just the way things are done. this is i think taking it to a -- third degree. there are times where -- [applause]
3:11 am
questions aren't answered or they're just -- i'll get back to you and never gets back to you and asking about donald trump or the republicans or she's denying things that he has said. so yeah, it's extraordinarily extraordinary frustrating. i wonder how valuable those -- briefings are. personally. >> thank you. we're in the same boat then. [laughter] i think every time somebody spins it's not great for anybody. >> i believe the no spin zone o is available -- hi. so i'm a journalist student and i read your book when it first kale out and you mention you never have a background in political journalism but stood in as a weather girl that help
3:12 am
yods cover donald trump better because you didn't have that background in that. but how do you feel that battle -- you know, swamp sort of affected the coverage of donald trump and why people -- accept his victory? [inaudible conversations] i worked for the weather channel i chased tornadoes. i was never allowed to do weather because i don't understand the meteorology but i covered news with the weather and before that a local news reporter and foreign correspondent. i think that it was beneficial going to 016 because i was able to see with fresh eyes. the campaign and the support that he was getting and the enthusiasm he received was out all of the baggage of these are the way things have always been done and he can't possibly survive this because so and so didn't survive this. its it was beneficial. i think that is -- partially what happened during 2016 and some of my -- most revered colleagues who are political people who do live in
3:13 am
d.c. -- have admit haded such saying you know part of the reason we didn't see donald trump coming is because we believed everything all of our hype. everything that we had seen come before in washington with. and how important it is to get out there and on -- bonn the road and not just rely on pollses actually talk to people and -- see something smell something feel something, be inside those rallies and get a sense of -- the momentum and the movement. so that's also part of the reason why i -- didn't go to d.c. myself there was a few things. he was one of them. but one of the other one was that i just think it is better to -- to talk about it from the outside. and to try and maintain the fresh eyes i had in 2016. >> so thank you. thank you. >> also congratulations on your wedding. >> thank you. [applause]
3:14 am
hl low i'm marsha and it's a pleasure to meet you i've been watching you since you started and great to see you and evolved into a wonderful news reporter. >> thank you very much. >> go back to sunday, november 6th. >> okay. >> that morning on all of the news stations -- everyone was reporting that it was hillary -- hillarys to lose. she -- it was hillarys to lose and her percentage of her winning were across the board. 60, 70, 80 all the way up to one agency reporter said 98%. what happened? >> to watch nbc -- what happened? >> what happened? i think she wrote a book called what happened. [laughter] doesn't tell enough.
3:15 am
the polls were wrong they were want totally wrong but they were just wrong enough to to -- lose or not lose the election but -- about miscall the election. i believe it was number six might have been the day before that james comey said the investigation the investigation through e-mail was done. i was talking to a -- senior clinton aid who said that they felt that was worst thing that could have happened because it brought the e-mail not the reopening which they didn't like either. but then the closing because instead of bringing closure to that, it brought it back up again. and it made people remember it because remember the access hollywood tape was really bad for trump and really, really, really bad for trump and the only thing that kind of got him out of that hole after 50 former
3:16 am
and current republican lawmakers were saying i wouldn't vote for was reopening of the e-mails and what that did and i'm not saying that was the -- nail on coffin for clinton but what that did was it enabled moderate republicans or o republicans on fence or republicans who did not want to vote for donald trump saying i'm voting for hill because i can't vote for somebody who might be on federal investigation. which is ironic. but we didn't know at time that donald trump was under invest because if fbi didn't inform anybody and there's questions about the double standard for there. so the polls were wrong just enough, and i think that there's a bunch and clinton family didn't go to michigan and probably should have gone to michigan and department make sure their blue wall was going to stand the combny investigation didn't help. what was going on with russia we still don't though.
3:17 am
i think we're still a bit away from figuring out exactly what happened on november th and why -- why donald trump ultimately won. >> but can't discount enthusiasm that he had people just loved him. thank you. >> thank you. good things must come to an end i'm so sorry because this conversation is absolutely very engaging and inspiring. >> thank you -- thank you katy. thank you tony please buy the book. please buy the book. [laughter] sorry about that. [applause] thank you very much. and booktv live coverage the miming book fair continues katy tur being interviewed by her
3:18 am
husband who is with cbs. thousand, what we're o going to do in the next few minutes is we're going to watch katy tur leave the stage and follow her over -- because all of the authors after they're done speaking they go over and they sign their books. so we thought you might like to sew a portion of that and spend a few minutes watching katy tur sign her book. and after that -- con will be the author and after that katy tur will be joining us here on booktv set for a call-in opportunity to have the chance to talk with her about her book, unbelievable, so katy tur is working her way off the set. and we'll be picking up with her in just a minute as she walks over to the book signing area. [silence] for me that november 2nd rally where he told me something was happening he was right something was happening.
3:19 am
>> and you mean -- in the countries it is a big book fair and my husband came here with a book so i wanted to be able to say i've gone too, and because you get a lot of recognition and somebody trying to get curious about the book figuring out if they want to read it, and it's good for miami because books are good for everybody. no matter where use live. no matter what they're about.
3:20 am
[inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations] shot here. you have a become book review? somebody have a book -- you have a book?
3:21 am
i have your book on my desk. excited it be.
3:22 am
[inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations]
3:23 am
[applause]
3:24 am
[inaudible conversations] ..
3:25 am
[inaudible conversations]
3:26 am
[inaudible conversations]
3:27 am
[inaudible conversations]
3:28 am
[inaudible conversations]
3:29 am
[inaudible conversations]
3:30 am
chris you are watching katy tur
3:31 am
sign her book, "unbelievable". she will be joining us in about 45 minutes for a call in. you have a chance to talk with her as well. doctor chapman hall here on the campus of miami-dade college. msu here from peter -- goldstar father, his book, an american family. this is live coverage of the miami book fair on booktv. >> hello, good afternoon. please take your seats ladies and gentlemen. we are ready to begin the last program that will take place in the chapman center for miami book fair this evening. and of course, tomorrow we have an entire day here in the
3:32 am
chapman center and throughout the fair. good afternoon again, i would like to welcome you here to miami book fair. it has been a truly outstanding day here at the fair. hasn't it? yes, it has. [applause] many of you may or may not know that i have been a fair here for many years. and every single year, that has gotten much better and much much more special. and that really is a testament to the great work and commitment of miami-dade college.and the community that comes together to bring this literary fair to our community and to those that visit us near and far. i say that with all sincerity because it would not be here.
3:33 am
it would not be this caliber of a book fair if it were not for the thousands of individuals including our fair goers. many thanks to you for making this book fair as special as it is. without further ado, i would like to get on with the show. please, you know the routine. please silence your devices. those that are coming in, please take a seat. and i'm going to bring on mr. weisberg. he is a longtime civil rights attorney and he will make the formal introduction. thank you, bob? >> thank you. i have to say it is a real honor for me to make these introductions.
3:34 am
-- anchors the weekday evening newscast on jan atv, cbs news and miami also a public affairs show on south florida. she joins cbs4 as a morning anchor and became the main anchor along with rick in 2015. she was part of the team that won emmy for the coverage of the pulse night club shooting attack and was nominated for her coverage from havana with president obama making an historic visit to cuba. before joining cbs4 she worked in la and phoenix were she also received an emmy nomination. she graduated from pepperdine university with journalism and sociology. and received a masters degree from university of california
3:35 am
berkeley, graduate school of journalism. i suspect that most of you in this room, like me, were first introduced a little after 9 pm eastern time on july 28, 2016 when with his wife stand beside him, muslim american citizens and parents of us army captain -- that was tragically killed in iraq 2004 rectified millions of people around the world on the final day of the democratic convention when he passionately spoke of american ideals and values and offered to let donald trump pocket constitution. [applause]
3:36 am
>> kazir was born in a family and they moved to the united states where they became american citizens and raised their sons. he holds a bachelors degree and an llm from harvard law school. his book, an american family, a memoir of hope and sacrifice, taking on a journey from pakistan through schooling in pakistan, the invention and after. it was a joy to read and i believe after you read it you would agree with me that it should be required reading throughout the united states and classes. as described in the book, after
3:37 am
his speech at the democratic national convention, they received hundreds of letters from inspired people throughout the us and the world offering condolences and thanking them for their strength and courage. i want to read a passage from one of those letters. it is quite the script. this came a week after the convention from a woman in oregon. it summarizes, you offer your condolences and write that you believe they must repent for speaking out. she thanks them for their courage and exercising rights guaranteed for all americans of the first amendment of the constitution. and i think this really captures the essence of what his presence that night meant,
3:38 am
to this woman as well as millions of people around the world. reading this quote - from the letter. it has been such a sight to behold and it made me very proud as an american. i am disabled and unable to jump by airplane. i'll never be able to see the statute of liberty at ellis island. that is okay because i seen the parent surpassing kazir testing i seen lady liberty. thank you and help me welcoming them to the miami book fair. [applause]
3:39 am
>> welcome everyone. thank you for being here. welcome to miami. such an honor. >> thank you, very much. >> i first want to start with the most important aspect of this entire story which is your son. the honorable captain. i wanted to tell us what you want about and his legacy. >> he was the best of america. two, we brought him two years old to this nation. this country. and the rest he learned.
3:40 am
it was others extending for fairness. he was made right here, made of the diet of the goodness of this country. i did not know until recently i was at an event in washington dc. a lady approached me and she said you do not know me but your son was my commandant in iraq. he found out that i cry every day because i was so afraid. he made a point as long as he was there, he would come to me every evening before i went to bed and he would assure me i'm here to protect you. that is what we know of him.
3:41 am
[applause] i pay tribute to if there veterans in the audience here or by the reach of my voice because of your service, your family service of all who are veterans, members of the armed forces, members of law enforcement and their families. thank you for your sacrifice. thank you for your honorable service to this nation for keeping this safe and keeping us free. we are grateful. he was a soldiers soldier. he took an oath to defend the constitution to protect those that were under his responsibility and he was so true to his word to the last moment of his life and we did
3:42 am
not make him that and that is what the story is mattel in the book he was made right here. he was made in this country, he was made in this nation, he was the leader of thomas jefferson, meaning service technician, service to the country, standing up for fairness. that was his model and the rest is history. you all know him as much as your son as his hours. he belongs to america. he presented america so well, taught us even to your own pedal, he would stand up for fairness. and has left us with amazing light and grace that we continue to cherish even today. and we were blessed to have him for 27 years. and he left us with a candle
3:43 am
from which others are lighting their candle of serving others and standing with others. he stood with them, he was, and fifth grade we received a call from his principal. please come to the principals office and mrs. khan rushed. she thought that something bad had happened. the principal had a boy and a girl and our son and his teacher in his office. and he saw the word look on mrs. khan face. he said humayun saw how this boy was bullying this girl in the classroom. and humayun saw it the second day and the second day humayun
3:44 am
that was fifth grade. so that is how we know him. [applause] >> there are critics who said ugly things about your appearance at the dnc. they say perhaps were politicizing your son's death. what would you say to that? >> yes, we arepoliticizing. there comes a time in a persons life , knowing humayun was values come he will be proud of us. what we have done, why we have done, after that statement and you may read all of this in the book in great detail. after that bigoted statement i was -- woman is of no equal respect and judges are partial. small children, of our neighborhood, our children's
3:45 am
children, our grandchildren' classmates, our children's friends and their children would approach to me you are a lawyer. is this true if this person becomes president, will we be thrown out of here? we are afraid. and i would hug them and tell them no, we are a country of laws, we are a country of constitution, equal protection, equal dignity, rule of law. but nothing would hearten them, they would not eat well, they would not pay attention plumbin that you have to speak to them again. because they refuse to go to school every morning. they have time he ate, they do not want to go to the school. and we asked them why you do not want to go to school. they say that our friends are telling us that when you go back from school, your parents would have been taken. you will never see them again. we don't want to go to school. this was happening our personal
3:46 am
life. then came the invitation to come and speak. we were reluctant. we did not want to go.we set for two days pondering, should we go or shouldn't we go? we are humble in private modest people. nonpolitical. but that was on her mind when the invitation came and when that card came from middle school. children wrote to us and placed in the mailbox because there was no stamp on the envelope and this is what the card said, one line that has taken us in the spirit of captain humayun khan. care for others. even to your own pedal, you must care, you must stand for fairness. it is that card, that one line that sent us that day. we had almost decided we will not go because of our well-wishers and other
3:47 am
children's i do not go, this is not your cup of tea. this is what that line said. mr. khan, would you make sure that maria is not thrown out of this country? we love her. she is our friend. and i read that card twice. we are people of faith, we have been trained for two days that some guidance shall come our way so we could decide so we do not regret she may have gone, should we have not gone. i brought that card immediately to my wife and she said, please call them. we will go. we will go on behalf of these children so when they see that, they will be heartened. they will be encouraged that someone is speaking on their behalf. so those who feel is that we are politicizing captain
3:48 am
humayun khan, of course we are. we are politicizing for fairness, we are politicizing his life, his sacrifice for the well-being of our children. we are so prone if he was alive today, he would be standing right here. this is how we greeted one another, left side to left side. because that is where your hearts are. and he would encourage us and so it is a tribute to his life. the proceeds of this book that we have published, their tuneup your one for our middle school children and the other book, the proceeds of this book, both of these books are dedicated to the scholarship that we have set up in university of virginia. it is titled captain humayun khan memorial scholarship on need-based. the students will continue to benefit so the good life that he had lived, he blessed us for
3:49 am
27 years and his legacy, yes, we are politicizing, yes we are doing this so loudly, so clearly, so that others that are still walking middle-of-the-road, would decide that this is the time for all of us to stand for fairness. [applause] >> mr. khan you have a long relationship with the american prosecution. you write about studying it and admiring it when you are young in pakistan. do you have it with you right now? >> yes, i do! [laughter] i will bring out -- [applause] i will bring out for the purpose that i carry this in a minute. but yes, my love affair with
3:50 am
the united states constitution bill of rights, most importantly, declaration of independence started in 1972. those who criticize that i, why am i so passionate about this? why passion for this blessed document and the values. at that time when i read it first, when at -- whenever the declaration of independence i did not have the caliber of courage to think that one day i will be able to go and sit among the people that are born and raised under these values and the goodness that is enshrined in these documents. twice in my life, why i am so passionate about the values of the constitution. the bill of rights, the dignities and the rule of law that is enshrined in our articles. twice in my life, i have lived without any dignity. under martial law.
3:51 am
you can draw the conclusions, i will simply point out that twice i have lived under authoritarian dictators, military dictators in pakistan. once when i was middle school student. second, when i was law student. i could not get out my home unless the military dictator gave us the permission that you can come out of your house. i could not read the newspaper because newspapers were the enemy of the dictator. they were the enemy of the free press. the enemy of the authoritarian dictator. shoot all of the reporters, if they do not behave, kill them and i've seen with my own eyes, how the press was mistreated. the fourth pillar of our democracy. i have seen how judges were
3:52 am
declared incompetent, they do not decide places, i will decide, i have the dictator, the ruler. i will decide myself. these are the two traits of authoritarians. one, they do not like free press. free press is their enemy. it is fake media. you draw the conclusions. judges are partial. they are no good. we will see you in the court. when you go to the court, we will see in the court again. it is the traits that i grew up, when i read the declaration of independence first time, i was in awe, is a nation in this planet that declared their independence? what a independence they have. i also come from the background that you gain your independence by when the king or the ruler
3:53 am
feels benevolent, he will declare you free. you will struggle for a and all but there had never been a nation most americans that read your documents, read your founding documents. you will come out of in awe of the founding values of this doctor p this country declared its independence. we are free. and declare the grievances, i read all words of the declaration in one standing. my feet were hurting. i took my shoes off and i read them. i did not understand the full impact of it then in the first reading. but i read it then, i read the articles that describe our rule of law. how the judicial system would work, how the judges will be appointed. the relation between the state
3:54 am
and federal government.so that is how civilized people live? then i read the best part of the constitution. the bill of rights. i still remain, i did this exercise a few years ago out of curiosity. i decided to read the most of this world constitution. the countries that have constitutions. there is no nation on this earth, and i implore you to do that exercise. which declares in its constitution, the very first amendment which says, the first five words i employ you to look at the spirit of what those five words. congress shall make no laws. the congress is the supreme body of this nation, has the full authority to decide and declare whatever laws should be
3:55 am
connected or rescinded. ... >> federal of press it is so fundamental to the united states liberty. it's democracy, it's rule of law. freedom of religion, rather you practice or you don't practice any religion. but you shall not be discriminate based on that. it is those values that have
3:56 am
made us hope for the rest of the world and it is for such reason are i'm so passionate. 168 is speaking engagements. [applause] 168 speaking engagements and i shall continue as long as it takes to demind entire nation of the goodness of this country of the values that are enshrined in our dmment and basic foundation of the democracy over rule of law. and i am so hard whnd i see the fear when i see the concern in the hearts and minds of communities throughout the nation because when there's so much concern when there's so much realization that we have with taken a wrong turn. that soon thereafter the immediately thereafter is
3:57 am
correction. i'm so hopeful. i -- [applause] i give you you will say give us an example i give you an example i come from virginia. from charlottesville, virginia. you saw the result. you saw the results last tuesday. we took the turn for the right and this nation will take the turn for the right. [applause] it is it is that that gives us hope for regardless of russian collaborator entered into the white house, we will correct. we will take a democracy back we will take dignity of our electoral system back, and this nation because it is founded on the goodness on the pluralism on giving every citizen of this nation equal dignity equal right. we will move forward with that instead of that founding spirit of this nation.
3:58 am
should we be concerned about or safety or security of borders, of the nation, yes. we all have responsible for our security. but unfair treatment of communities, that is a defeated mentality. of this nation will never stand for that. >> let's talk about then candidate trump who called for complete and shutdown of muslims in this country before we figure out what the hell is going on his words not mine. let's talk about those words. a reporter called you the next day, and asked for your with reaction and your reaction was americans are good and decent people and this will never happen. has your view changed? >> no, no. my -- stand and my belief is for the concern. we're concerned about our safety, yes, and i'm or for that really strong --
3:59 am
immigration. we don't have immigration policy. we have immigration law and i'll explain in a second. the difference between policy and laws. but we must protect our borders. we must protect our nations. those with mall intention and malice in mind and hardship should not be allowed to enter the united states but that doesn't mean that we begin to violate our constitution. we begin to issue exact orders in violation of the constitution. i believe in the statements and the declaration of the national security advisors, those who have given their life and those who have spent all of their life protecting this nation. they all declared that such declarations do not protect us. such declaration put our men and women servings over in harm's
4:00 am
way under danger, under risk therefore this kind of -- bigotry is of no value to this nation. it does not protect us. my faith is reaffirmed in the constitutional values of this country based on this. will is a purpose of not to deciding such a policy decision based on the violation of the first amendment. freedom of religion. freedom of faith, that no laws will be passed based on that. i'm not only spoken against that but filed too brief on the supreme court as well that why it is harm powerful to our nation -- even for the security matters that such distinction, strict security policy yes, strict immigration policy, yes are. but violating the
4:01 am
constitution -- marginalizing a community alienating a community gives room to those who have malice about our country to find to grow to become more powerful and this is what i said when i -- this is what i meant when i said -- we have immigration laws but we don't have immigration policy. this is the difference. this many immigration policy, and this nation never had immigration policy, this is what happens many immigration policy, we with take estimate how many people are retiring this year, next three, five, year, next 20 years who will be replacing them in the work force? so that the income to support their needs, their retirement is continuing. we do not have that. question do not have rich sector will be needing how much men power.
4:02 am
how many people will be needed to support technology. how many people will be need five year, ten year, 20 years from now in farming in agriculture. in industry, in manufacturing, in technology. we don't have that policy. that is why it is reported and -- consider this. that our 7 million mostly young americans unemployed in this nation, there are 6.2 million vacancy in technology field that we cannot find enough trained peel to fill. that is why this disparity of income exist that these -- folks that are using that had to store the division that oh, immigrants are coming take them over to their job. other nations from preparing poem for the future meaning they're training their young men and women to take technology jobs, that is is why you see
4:03 am
influx of people coming from outside the united states. because we don't have any images promise. we have not prepared. we don't it's not that we lack resources. it is that -- some of these divisive folks among our nation have found this fear of immigrants as easy target. easy way to exploit the sentiments of the community and that is what they're doing instead of advising that we should train our young generation for the next two year, three, five, ten year. so that we will fill all of the vacancies that exist even today as i said. 6.2 million vacancies ask any -- technology expert of this country they will tell you that are not enough people trained in united states that will take those jobs. so that disparity exists that is being exploited by those who -- divide us based on that.
4:04 am
that is not all the script. first world war -- second they're not genius that they have come out with this economic disparity division something new they have nefnghted not at all first world war first war three elements one nationalism. second economic well being third was fear of immigrants. oh, these immigrants are coming, they will t ove all of the jobs. same script gave us first world war same script gave us second world war and famous script is repeated now but this time this is 2017 we have so dependent we realize issue of economic well beings fear of grant is a divisive issue. we have become so interdependent that we should learn about this how to solve these problems, how
4:05 am
to resolve them so that the nation is stronger. so that this nation remains beacon of hope for the rest of the world and remains strong based on our foundation under our ideal on our democracy. look -- the brexit took place in europe, i was invited to speak there. i spoke to them much early on when there was -- only hints of foreign intervention in the brexit. today now they're had investigating the influence of that foreign intervention in brexit. they're regretting that -- that took place same thing in the united states. we have discoveredded how our system of elections how our city was align was attacked, it's integrity was attacked. so these elements, we are becoming more aware. we are becoming more aware of that -- 7 people ask me in every
4:06 am
gathering what is the solution. the solution is this as virginia shorterredded stand up speak for your values -- every american participate in our electoral process. if we did that -- [applause] if we did that our democracy will be stronger, those who look towards us with malice in their hearts towards us will be defeated. we will remain we just celebrated 430 years of our constitution we have 230 more years to go and more to go, and we all remain in support of our values. we are ben fish -- these dignities i write in the book that ask any person at the darkest corner of this earth who has never heard of america who
4:07 am
has never heard of these values that are had enshrined in our founding documents meaning what -- meaning this -- do you want to have freedom to speak? the person will say, yes. do you want to have freedom to practice your faith on not have any faith? they will say yes. do you want to have freedom to protest our speak, they will say yes. without realizing that we all are -- guaranteed those values. these values are worth fighting for, spending for, making sure that no one with the malice in their heart ever, ever lays a bad hand or bad eye towards it. it is that mission that i continue to speak in the captain, he gave his life and i repeat it because some people object to that. that's why you were bringing his
4:08 am
sacrifice to this conversation this political conversation. no, no. this is not political conversation. it is the conversation in defense of the values that are enshrined in our constitution in the three blessed documents. this is the story of the goodness of this nation that has made this nation beacon of hope. i site in the book this speech that i heard and i stood up when reagan reached the end of that speech where he says -- i have dreamed of this nation as a city on shining city on hill. that has walls around it. but that wall has doors in it. so anyone with courage, anyone with heart can enter those doors and become part of this blessed nation. so it is for that purpose that we continue to speak. >> i want to take it to a personal level --
4:09 am
[applause] mrp about your personal experience, obviously you knew that speaking at the dnc was going to expose you and your family in a way that you hadn't experienced before but then evolved into some sort of feud with then candidate trump. how has it changed your life and life of your family and was it all worth it? >> yes, it was worth it to many many atimes miss, many atimes now that we have begin to -- consider that. there cools this is what we talk about had it been worth, we -- there are two choices. and again and agains it's kept in many the life comes into play. he had the choice. he could have simply like and ordered his man to hit the ground. he could have hit the ground. but that qowld qowld have would
4:10 am
have caused him to hit the wall and on other side of the wall there was score of american soldiers that had just had breakfast and were getting ready to go to work next morning. that morning that -- fateful morning he had that choig and could have ordered his command reverse tell him he could have ordered men that were protecting the base to shoot that cap. but he must have thought this may be an innocent person who lost his way. so he -- gave his life in protection of others. care of others. it is in that spirit that we say that, we stood. we continue to speak regardless of attack. we have received thousands of wonderful mail heartening mail from all over the country people reminding us that thank you for reminding us of our constitution of our values over goodness.
4:11 am
we are grateful for that. but there had been ugliness as well and discouraging e-mail but look at the difference. and this is, this is where -- the strength of this stand and standing for fairness is so visible. those who have written us ugly e-mail this is how we recognize that moment we look at the envelope of that mail they do not write return address on. that speaks, that -- that one doesn't know from the other but they're all displaying the same cowardness. they do not realize how it is so common because of the coward on the other hand, we have people that have -- showered their love and their care and their courage. we have a letter from the army
4:12 am
nurse 26 pages she writes -- she served in second world war in germany and on 26th pam she writes to us after telling us the whole story of her service in europe private second world war and she said mr., mrs. concontinue to speak had had more people spoken before second world war, we could have avoided astros uty that were committed in second world war. we could have awarded committed against the jewish brother and sisters in second world war continued to speak. it is that that letter means so much to me that i will continue to speak. [applause] there's so much more i want to ask you but i want to open it up to the audience. if there are questions from the audience members from mr. con.
4:13 am
yes. first of all i would like to say that nobody would take away from your son sacrifice or grief that a family must feel when they lose a son. but once you put yourself out there as a political figure and as a critic of the at the time candidate trump, i think it opened you up like you can't say you're above krit si. at that point he had to right to defend himself. he had a right to -- say whatever he wanted to defend it himself. okay, that's the first one but the second point was about the -- was about the second question -- all be respectful. the constitution listen, the constitution does not provide there's no constitutional right for people outside this country to enter the country. i hope you understand that.
4:14 am
there's no constitution -- so there's -- the constitution say this is the constitution what trump was saying is nothing -- contrary to the constitution. everyone be respectful and let him finish. is preaced this country, and if there's a group of people anyone in the world because of -- lnls extremism or whatever that poses a threat, he was saying let's suspend not ban but suspend, suspend, suspend -- unfilled suspend -- immigration until we have clear vetting anding strong vetting procedures in place. but that was not the way it was covered -- >> let's give him a chance to respond. give him a chance to respond. stop screaming i would be able to finish you people are rutted. you people are very is rude. please -- giving it's because you hate trump admits it. let him finish. >> can we let him answer the
4:15 am
question? >> i -- i did not understand my brothers question. so i don't know what to say. trying to interpret saying the president had a right to argue back and that he has a right to call for a suspension of a certain group of people who he believes are a threat to the united states i think that was what i got from this. >> well he's the president entitled to his point of view so are we. we are equal under the constitution. we have equal right to criticize a candidate, and criticize the president. and we were exercising and we will continue to exercise our right to -- [applause] expression. and let the folks decide who is right who's wrong. so you know. >> okay thank you next question. >> there's no question --

5 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on