Skip to main content

tv   White House Briefing with Energy Secretary Perry  CSPAN  June 29, 2017 12:58pm-1:40pm EDT

12:58 pm
as the town grew. was able to eventually build a house as grand as this one. >> watch the city's tour of portland oregon saturday at noon eastern and sunday at 2:00 p.m. on americhistory working with o cable affiliates and visiting cities across the country. coming up this afternoon here on cspan 3, sarah sanders and treasury secretary will be taking questions at the white house press briefing. we'll go there live when it starts at about 2:00 p.m. eastern and president trump and vice president pence will mark energy week with remarks at the department of energy starting at 3:15. on tuesday, rick perry talked about the administration's agenda for the department of energy at the white house press briefing. here's a look. >> thank you. and my privilege to be here
12:59 pm
today to share with you a little bit of the observation that i have relative to energy week. this week, the trump administration will bring together state, tribal, business, labor, all together one room. happily sitting down and discuss ing what the path forward is for u.s. energy dominance. and president trump wants america to achieve energy dominance by utilizing our abundant resources. for good. means self-reliant. means a secure nation.
1:00 pm
free from the geo political turmoil of other nations who seek to use energy as an economic weapon. aung energy dominant america will export to markets around the world. increasing our global leadership and our influence. we're ending the bureaucratic blockade that has hindered american energy creation. the united states has been a net energy exporter. a net energy importer since 1953. almost as long as i've been alive. but thanks to innovation, technology, advancements, we're on the brink of changing this. and in very important elements of an american energy portfolio.
1:01 pm
ten years ago, people would never have guessed that by 2018, united states is expected to have a net energy export of natural gas. unleashing our full energy potential in this country will lead to robust job growth and expansion. this week, we will also reaffirm our commitment to clean emergency. that binary choice between pro economy and pro environment that has perpetuated or i should say been perpetuated by the obama administration has set up a false argument. the fact is, we can do good for both. and we will. there was one u fact missing from the paris agreement.
1:02 pm
that is the united states already leads the world in luring emissions. the paris agreement put the taxpayer on the hook for a costly deal. thankfully, this president has the good sense to step in before billions more have been committed. we've already seen the fruits of innovative, clean technology like ccus. car ban capture utilization sequestration, that petranova plant in houston, texas, uses a process to remove 90% of the carb dock side in a clean way. then uses captured carbon for enhanced oil recovery. instead of preaching about energy, this administration will act ott on it.
1:03 pm
i believe no clean energy portfolio is truly complete without nuclear power and so o does the. president. if you want to see the environment an climate we live in affected in a positive way, you must include nuclear energy with its zero emissions in your portfolio. do it safe, thoughtfully, economically. under the leadership of the united states, the world can benefit from that. this administration believes it can be a game changer in the development of our clean energy portfolio globally. i believe we can do this by focusing on the development of technology. for instance, advanced nuclear reactors. small, modular reactors. under president trump's leadership, we will continue to advocate for a very broad all
1:04 pm
the of the above portfolio dramatically reducing our trade deficits and create jobs, beyond the 6.4 million americans who are currently employed in that sector. we look forward to hearing from americans this week on how to best move forward to reduce unnecessary government regulation and bureaucracy to promote jobs and economic growth in the energy sector. for years, they have been overregulated. by washington politicians and bureaucrats who believed they knew best. the recktures is over with. and now, it's time that we listen. with that, i will attempt to answer your questions. >> on nuclear power, what specifically do you want to do to accelerate its development
1:05 pm
and as has been seen in georgia, there's still problems. the obama administration green lighted two class because a lot of american companies haven't built in three decades. there's a technology gap there and number two, if this administration does advance production of nuclear power, does it believe yucca mountain needs to be opened up or be a repository for nuclear waste? >> it's a very astute question you ask about the issue. for 30 year, the supply chanin was stagnant. it was a allowed to atrophy, if you will. this is administration believes in an all of the above approach. allowing nuclear energy to come and play an important role in a very diverse portfolio. so, the idea that overregulating an industry, that is one of the challenges and it's not just about the united states from the
1:06 pm
standpoint of our being able to have an energy source that is reliable, that is zero emission. it's about america maintaining our regaining maybe a better world. our leadership role in nuclear energy because the russians and chinese are very actively engaged in across the board globally, to go put their technology to gain and leverage their political place if you will. using nuclear energy as one of the levers. so, this is a lot bigger issue than just allowing the united states a couple of plants in the southern part of the united states. it's a lot bigger thap that. it's a lot bigger than just making sure that westing house continues to be a stable american company. this is a massively important
1:07 pm
issue for the security of america and the security for america's allies, so, keeping that in place, i think it's important for us to look at the options, clearly having a plan to keep america engage d in the development of nuclear energy, one of the things we want to do at doe is to make nuclear energy cool again. from the standpoint of you remember when you were kids, sorry, you're nowhere near my age, but when i was younger, in the '60s, and a lot of kids wanted to go into the nuclear energy field. at my alma mater, there were a lot of young boys and girls who wanted to be nuclear engineers. that's not so much the case today because this industry has been strangled. all too often by government regulations. but we need as a country i think to again bring us to that place where the nuclear energy is a
1:08 pm
part of a portfolio and to be able to sell it in great truthfulness and honesty about what it can add to america both from an environmental standpoint and from a security standpoint. >> what about yucca mountain? >> we made no decisions at doe nor has his administration from the standpoint of where we're going to look. b obviously, those are all options. but there's been no decision made about where we'll be going. yes, sir. >> two questions for you. you mentioned the -- zwl why do you all get two questions? kind of f a game we play now? just kidding. >> the rest of us get three. >> you mentioned the paris agreement. do you believe climate change is happening and that human activity has made it worse? >> here's what i believe and i'm on the record, but love getting the tount to talk about it again. the climate is changing. man has had an impact b on it. i said that time after time.
1:09 pm
the idea we can't have an intellectual conversation about just what are the actual impacts, as late as this last week, an undersecretary for the obama administration, he believes we need to sit down and have a con vversation. the data a is not from his perspective, he was a good enough scientist to be asked by the obama administration to come in to be an undersecretary at the doe. he doesn't think that the science is settled. so, why not have a conversation about that? what is the other side, the people who say the science is settled. it's done. if wrou don't believe that, you're a skeptic. trz a ludi trte. i don't buy that. i don't think there is, this is america. have a conversation. let's come out of the shadows of hiding behind your political
1:10 pm
statements and let's talk about that. what's wrong with that? i'm full well you know, i can be, i can be convinced, but why not let's talk about it. yes, sir! just to finish your thought. you said you do believe climate change is happening and you believe that human activity has contributed, so the discussion you're asking for is just what to do about it? >> sure. is that okay? don't you think we ought to do that? >> it's not enough for me to say. >> you're an american citizen. you ought to have a -- part in that. >> a lot of energy. >> i come from a place with a lot of energy. >> u.s. -- president trump, energy, a regular discussion and issues and also put spending, nuclear energy with the u.s. and
1:11 pm
india. india a is still waiting when the u.s. and will move at concern. t trz. >> let me address the global issue of the united states and india and the relationship between the trump administration and the modi administration. i happen to think there was a picture yesterday that i happen to see that i thought was very reflective and the it was of these two individuals embracing each other. i think that was a clear message around the world. that the united states and india are going to be substantially closer. energy going to play a very, very important role in that. last night at dinner, we talked about the three areas of which there will be great back and forth, cooperation. deal making if you will.
1:12 pm
one of those is in lng. the other side of that is in clean coal. thirdly is on the nuclear side. there is great opportunity for independeia and the united stat become b even stronger allies, stronger partners. energy being the glue that will hold that partnership together for a long, long time. our gentlemen here is the only one who had an honest assessment. >> you said it's not binary. the environment and coexisted, but the question is as far as fracking and clean coal opponents to that say that in fact, that it isn't environmentally safe and that fracking and coal are going to be destroyed the environment. i'd like to get your comments on that for the second question. >> coming from a state that
1:13 pm
probably did as much high drawl fracking as any other state in the nation and interrupting, a number of things happen aed in tex over the decade plus that i was the governor. one was there were more jobs created than any other. there were 7 million people added to the population roles while i was governor. there are economically the state red the country, there's also a lesser known story you probably don't know about but i'm going share it with with you. that is during that period of time, you have this massive job growth, this population growth of 7 million, you know what 7 million peoples is? that's a lot of pick up trucks on highways. that's a lot of non point source pollution, correct? your conventional wisdom would tell you because of where you are geographically, the latit e latitude, you're prone because
1:14 pm
of the capacity along the gulf coast, to really drive up ozone levels. there was a lot of reasons wisconsin come would say you did a really fine job of creating wealth and jobs, but you played hell with the economy. with the environment. and the fact is is, we b dbt. we drove down nitrogen oxide levels by over 60%. so 2 levels in the mid 50s. and carbon dioxide levels by almost 20% reduction. isn't that our goal? did exactly what i said, you can have economic growth and you can have the environment effected in a positive way. it can happen. yes, sir. >> come back to you. >> i just wanted to follow up. when he was talking about climate change.
1:15 pm
just to be straight. you're saying that -- >> really be straight. >> as straight as possible. climate change is a fact, but you want us to have a discussion about exactly what has to be done about the climate change? it's not up for discussion that part of it? >> i have no idea what you just asked. >> sorry, sob as straight at possible. >> one more time. you get one more chance to ask this question. >> i'm going to speak in english. >> i want dwrou think ability how you're putting this out here. >> i'm putting it out this way. you are saying that change man has affected climate change. and that the discussion is about what we do with it, not whether or not we've affected it, so going forward, that's resolved. >> no, what i said was climate's changing, always has. man at this point in time is having an effect on it. how much is what's at debate here and more importantly, what
1:16 pm
is the united states going to do to affect that, are we going to sign an agreement somebody that really doesn't call anybody to making any changes? you look at what china and india are required to do and they're nothing. how many coal plants? 300 plus coal plants we built in india. so, i mean, why would we sign on to an agreement that is not holding other people to account and asking us to give $3 billion, that's the first anti. and the trump administration said that's nonsense. now, can we gree we ought to have a con ver sigs as a people, intelle intellectually engaged, not standing up in speeches saying
1:17 pm
you're a climate denier. when the fact is, i want to have a conversation about this. >> isn't that what the scientists have done? >> no, they haven't because when you have a scientist like steve who stands up and says the science isn't settled yet, i tend to say, okay, let's have a conversation and get these guys together. in my committee, i said, let's have a conversation about blue team, red team, talk this over. you're up. >> thanks for being here. i want to ask you about coal specifically. scott pru it this month said and he was quoting if you're going to be quoting the department of labor statistics, he said simply the u.s. has added almost are 50,000 jobs in the coal sector. in fact, the coal portion he was referring to since the fourth quarter. has only grown 2400 jobs. in the last month, only 400. there are a total of 51,000 coal jobs in this country now, so is is it misleading americans, is
1:18 pm
the administration misleading americans about where the real job growth is? i was governor a long enough period of time that job numbers come and go. they go up and down. back and forth. what this administration wants to do is to send a message that america's going to use all of its energy resources. the coal industry is part of that. when i have conversations with my counterparts in rome at the g-7. when i go to the clean coal ministerial in china, beijing, earlier this month, we talked about coal and the opportunity of american coal to be sold
1:19 pm
globally. so, the idea that we're going to be continuing to develop that fossil fuel is that's a reality. that's real. wooir going to use coal as a producer of energy for years to come. i think the question for us is are we able to do it in a way that is economically feasible environmentally sensitive and i think the answer is yes. petranova in houston, a great example of that. the point is is, taking that snapshot and saying okay, this is a static picture. maybe a little bit unfair. >> following up qukly, since you get behind the scenes in ways we koent, during the campaign, you said of canada trump his candidacy was a cancer on
1:20 pm
conservative isra conservative. >> that has nothing to do with energy today. >> what do you make of it? >> how are are you? good to see you. you asked right here. >> what do you make of it? if it's a simple question. >> calling on me? >> i thought you were talking to tom. >> just saying hi to tom. a great american. >> questions have been asked here a lot. the president himself during the campaign called climate change a hoax. >> i have not that had that conversation with him. >> i want to ask you about your concerns with the electrical grid and what you are going to ensure not just its safety, but for the growth and development and on gas prices, are you concerned about the direction they're going? should american people expect gas prices to don't fall? zpl over on the grid.
1:21 pm
the department of energy has both scientific, they have a historic we have a test grid of we are able to go out. one of the reasons we're involved with grid se security. we can go out and work this. infest it. we can with different viruses. to be able to analyze how we're going to harden our grid so that america americans, so that our country is doing everything it can to protect, defend this country against cyber attacks that would affect our electrical security or otherwise. so, the ability for us to to be
1:22 pm
able to continue to lead the world we know the challenges. we saw the challenges in ukraine. protecting this country and its grid, not just sish, but physical attack, against tacks that may come from mother nature, weather related. all of that is a very important part of what doe, dhs is doing together. what was your second? >> gas prices. >> i'm not in the business of trying to tell people what's going to happen. they may go up and down just like they've always done. our job is to make sure america has a diverse energy portfolio, so that we have as many options as we can have.
1:23 pm
we dwopd huge wind energy in texas. gas prices went to 12, $13. and we had way too much invested in just one or two and we thought it made sense to look at these renewables from the standpoint of having diversity in our grid. that's our job to have as diverse an energy portfolio in this country. the market will manage the cost of gasoline and supply and demand will work. >> on that cyber attack you were talking about. can you give us an update? do you think that the u.s. emergency grid is being targeted with this attack and can you give us an update on u.s. you tillties? >> i don't have any reason to be different from you to think and know there are cyber actors out there, cyber terrorist, they may
1:24 pm
or may not work with nation states. they may be lone type ranger attackers if you will. that would try to get in to whole companies, countries, hostages in some form of fashion. so, you know, whether it's a particular country, i don't know any reason to point at one country and say this one is you know, we know they're involve ain certain places in the world. they're out there. instead of worrying about who they are and what's going on, and here in a public setting, doing the work to make sure as we asked and made a point about having the best security that we can. have the best defenses that we can to be able to identify and protect our grid. >> have u.s. you tillty, you've
1:25 pm
mentioned the paris climate agreement a number of times. president trump said hemted to get a better deal. has he or you or anyone in this administration begun that process and do you think it's possible given that a number of leaders have said the it's a deal that can't be renegotiated? >> i'm sure the president of the united states wakes up every day thinking about how to get a better deal. in a host of different things. specifically to that, i never said mr. president, let's talk about what the better deal is. with that said, i don't have a problem whether it was renegotiated, nafta, which some of you have been around here long enough to know that i was involved with the original negotiations. renegotiate it. get a better one. tha what the president does. that's his mind set.
1:26 pm
>> you mentioned you dhid work in texas. what do you see as the role, you've mejiased at greater length, whether it's fracking or clean coal as you cited or nuclear. >> i know renew bables are proving themselves to be a value bable part of the diverse portfolio. wind and maybe some forms of energy we don't even know yet in one of our you know, extraordinary that may give us some potentials that don't even realize we have. >> that's where a lot of the jobs are happening now, especially in solar and wind. so do you see this as growth for the american job market?
1:27 pm
>> the issue of coal. some critics are saying this administration wants to make coal great again. talk to me about the plan. it is wg wanted by my m countries around the world and we have yet to figure out a clean enough use for it as you're dealing with climate change. >> not sure if i agree with your observation that we haven't figured out a clean use for coal yet from the standpoint. there are some you can't make it clean enough. i guess that's who i'm referencing, too. when you can take 90% out of the air, i don't know how high you have to raise the bar to make some happy. with that said, let me share with you some of the things we're seeing in our national labs for instance, being able to
1:28 pm
coal is the a source for rare earth minerals. if we haven't done this work, we would not have realized we could extract these rare earth minerals out of coal and coal ash, so, again, i ask people to be open mined about innovation. you all remember 15 years ago and we were hearing this fella travel around the country giving a speech about cheap oil. we found all the oil there was. sarah, your dad and i went to lots of republican governors meetings. one, this guy gave a speech, we found all the fossil fuels, all the oil and gas has been found. it's a downward slope. that's a fakict. settle science may have been his word. he might have said that. that was the point though, that all the oil and gas had been found.
1:29 pm
so george mitchell didn't read the, he didn't read that. didn't believe that. innovation, technology. drives this country. it always has. i think we ought to be a little skeptical when somebody says this is the end of this. this is bad. it's okay to ask those questions. so, my point is that with coal, there may be some uses of coal that we never b even dreamed ed before that can really make a big difference because when you think about the rare earth man ralls controlled by countries outside of the united states. so, with that -- >> your phone, governor and people are talking about states as it relates to the repeal and replace of obama care.
1:30 pm
>> you've touched on one of my favorite subjects. >> thank you. that has federalism. and i had, here we go. they're innovated just like we are. governors have within their states and their bright young people who work with them in the private sector, they will come up with ways to deliver health care. and give options to their citizens. i know for a fact connecticut is not like texas. they're just not. to say that washington, d.c. can come up with a one size fits all
1:31 pm
solution to health care that's dpoik to address this and do it in an economically feasible, thoughtful way, is is just so much nonsense. it's just, you know that's not true. let the states have this medicaid opportunity. the ones that want it, if somebody says i'd rather have washington take care of me. that's okay, that's their call, but the states ought to be given the opportunity and i will suggest to you you can save substantial amounts of money, come up with options for their citizens that are substantially better. for the citizens of their state and save this country. mountains of money. >> mr. secretary, going back to the power grid. what about enp attack, what are the steps being taken to protect against that? >> i think our national labs are looking at all options. that being one of them.
1:32 pm
>> the america company, it's been owned before. a decade now. are you saying you would block efforts by a foreign company to purchase the remains? >> i know the process. that is a a classified piece of information that i will not give here. >> have you given -- the investigation i think is code name nuclear 17. do you have any information about that? >> no, sir. >> thank you, mr. secretary. this morning, president macron of france called president trump and invited him to come to b bastille day july 14th. do you see this as a way that the french are taking up his
1:33 pm
suggestion for negotiating a new climate change agreement and would you urge him to make the trip? >> i would always look at an invitation to a party as a good thing. >> you're very enthusiastic and nuclear power and the potential that it has. a lot of people are still scared of nuclear power. because of nuclear waste and nuclear plant safety and this has been happening since the '60s when one television dock men tear yan said it hasn't changed in terms of what we know to do with nuclear waste, which isn't much. can you assure the american people that nuclear west and plant safety are such that we should expand nuclear power in this country? >> you know, i would reflect that or deflect that, if he was here, to presidentron of france.
1:34 pm
who gets plus% of their power from nuclear energy. now, this is the company that wouldn't by texas beef for some reason. yet 76% of their energy comes from nuclear power. so the french, who i've always thought were a little bit you know, dichbt. and that's in a good way, you know, they recognized us as a state back in the 1830s. so, we actually have a really close personal relationship with the french. we like them. we had an embassy in paris. they had one in austin. it's still there. invite you to come and see it. but they are a little different when it comes to some things and one of these, i would find it interesting that our o french friends are very comfortable g t getting 76% of their energy from nuclear and i can assure you, they're very fond of getting it at the rate they're getting it.
1:35 pm
>> can i ask a question about -- yucca mountain question. >> one last question. i've been so bad to this side. you're it. you're the last question. >> thank you. you mentioned that a federalism in the power of governors. recently, as you know, the trump administration has scrapped the clean power plant, which was hampering many states. now you've got governors whom you just said, have certain authority. that are saying we're going to go ahead and institute the clean power plant in our states any way, regardless of what the epa says, doesn't that put those states at a tremendous economic disadvantage an what would be your message? >> i think governors and their citizens need to be given that right to make those decisions. i said many times that i thought that you know, colorado was wrong in allowing for the u.se f
1:36 pm
marijuana, which they decided to do, but that's their call. i will defend that right. robustly. but that ought to be their call. >> jerry brown, we were together at n china as beijing for the clean energy ministerial. we saw each other, shook hands as we were going by. jerry's decided he wants his state to be involved with the paris agreement, however that works, which is fine. that's his call. texas will still be there to take any businesses that would like to relocate. and that's the beauty of all of this. allow america to be competitive. allow americans to pick and choose where they want to live. under what types of governments and we'll figure it out. but this idea we're going to have one size fits all out of washington, d.c., one of the reasons i came to serve with
1:37 pm
president trump was because i knew he blooeed in that and he believes in competition and the future of america is brighter because we have a president who believes in american exceptional isra and making america great again. thank you. >> this holiday weekend on american history tv on cspan 3. saturday at 6:00 p.m. eastern on the civil war. historians discuss new york city during the war. from divided political loyal theties to its southern economic ties and the 1863 draft riots. >> it seems clear that these draft riots were really a kind of organic perfect storm of resentment that had been building, maybe for half a century. i mean, you knjohn, you were sa that this was not so much an irish riot or you know, an ethnic riot, but working man. the largest in our history.
1:38 pm
>> sunday at 8:00 p.m. on the presidency, phillip leavy discusses loeks associated with george washington's life, including river front land on virginia's northern neck. >> george corbin washington sold the property off. so he was sort of distancing himself. there was still family stories about the land and the washingtons themselves were live more distantly, further away. so it's sort of a retreat. there wasn't a lot on the land to recall where the buildings were. >> monday at 8:00 p.m. eastern on reel america. the 1977 documentary, men of bronze. about soldiers of the all black 369th u.s. infantry known as the harlem hell fighters. >> all of our equipment. our canteens, our rifles. our army belt. and helmets.
1:39 pm
issued fence helmets, rifles, ammuniti ammunition, canteens, and a water canteen, french wine. >> and tuesday at 8:00 p.m., historian david mccullough talks about how the founders, particularly john adams, valued education, viewed slavery and persevere nd the face of hardship and how these ideals shaped american society. >> he grew up on a farm where they had no money. his mother was illiterate, his father we know could sign his name, maybe could read. there was a bible in the house and that was the only book. and worked hard every day. from childhood on. but because he got a scholarship to this little college in cambridge called harvard, and as he said discovered books had read forever, he became the john

12 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on