Skip to main content

tv   Key Capitol Hill Hearings  CSPAN  July 1, 2015 10:00am-12:01pm EDT

10:00 am
cuba's program for preventing sexually transmitted diseases. they are the first country in the world to initiate a formal validation process for those diseases. that begins in just a few minutes here on c-span. [captions copyright national cable satellite corp. 2015] [captioning performed by the national captioning institute, which is responsible for its caption content and accuracy. visit ncicap.org] >> we are waiting for the minister. he is in the building.
10:01 am
this is the day we start the embassies, too? this is an historic day. we will all be very historic today. remember that. [no audio] i think we have the youngest cameraman in our history here. where are you? he is a shy cameraman. he is hidden behind that camera.
10:02 am
ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the national press club on this very historic day. this is a milestone. the national press club we know is the world's leading professional organization for journalists. today, we host the first minister of the cuban government since 1959. it's probably been closer to 70 years if we include the previous government. our speaker today is the distinguished health minister, dr. roberto mireles -- morales who arrives now who will speak on the cuban progress and their contribution to the progress on
10:03 am
aids and other sexually transmitted diseases. dr. morales, roberto morlaes is the health minister. he was born in cuba and holds two medical degrees and previously served as the vice minister of health and he has been a member of the national assembly of cuba of popular power since 2008. we will also have a powerpoint presentation. and the presentation is in spanish but we will be translating. if you have any questions, please fill out the cards. passed them here and the chairman of the newsmakers committee, herb perone will present the questions. we are following the same format we used at lunch, not the regular format we use with newsmakers.
10:04 am
i have spoken too long and with that, we turn the program to dr. morales. [applause] >> thank you very much. buenos dias. translator: good morning, ladies and gentlemen. i wish to rank you the work of cuba and the elimination of transmission of hig and co-genital syphilis. -- hiv and co-genital syphilis. [speaking spanish] >> the triumph of the cuban
10:05 am
revolution, the care of sexually transmitted infections was conducted primarily by dermatologists in dispensaries for the treatment of an arial diseases and leprosy. congenital syphilis was a major health problem than and each year, large number of cases were reported. [speaking spanish] >> in 1962 free care was established at all hospitals and case support improved but health coverage was insufficient.
10:06 am
[speaking cuban] >> in 1972, the program was brought under review and updated. a different approach was taken. higher priority to the finding of cases and research and etymological analysis, all of which was performed at community clinics under the view they had to be integrated into the community health care model. [speaking cuban]
10:07 am
translator: it is then that the mother and care program was established. it's a program that has been subjected to continued improvement and constitutes the platform for the prevention of maternal and congenital syphilis. care at prenatal, delivery, and postpartum levels is conducted by health personnel and 99.9% of earth's -- births take place in health institutions. [speaking cuban] translator: every pregnant woman
10:08 am
receives a minimum of 10 prenatal visits by the family doctor and attends consultations with specialists in gynecology and obstetrics. care extends to monitoring the health of the mother including conducting tests for syphilis and hiv which comprise the sexual partners. [speaking cuban] [speaking cuban] translator: annually, about 1.5 million tests for syphilis are performed of which over 300,000 are done to pregnant women surpassing the 95% coverage.
10:09 am
this is since 1980, the annual rate of congenital syphilis has remained below the elimination criteria set forth by the original strategy in 2010. in the past four years, the rate has been between zero and 0.04 percent for births. [speaking cuban] translator: since the beginning of the 1980's by decision of the government, the operational group was established which
10:10 am
designs, develops, and implements policies based on response to the hiv epidemic. this task force comprises social sectors emma organizations and institutions of civil society, ensuring an inter-sector approach to the response. it works at national, provincial and community levels and is advised by the technical committee on hiv aids. [speaking cuban] [speaking cuban] the program fort prevention and
10:11 am
can -- [speaking cuban] the program was based on known public health programs that have been previously applied in the country for the prevention and control of other diseases. in particular, existing experiences in the control of sexually transmitted diseases were unit at denver used and it was aimed at the early detection of cases. the etymological research notification got educating the population and making available prevention, care, and treatment services to those affected. translator: [speaking cuban] [speaking cuban] big is us --translator: this gives us accessibility and guarantee research and the
10:12 am
training of human resources and the introduction of technology which have ensured access by the population to prevention diagnosis, care, and treatment. [speaking cuban] translator: the educational component has featured among its strategies information dissemination, raising awareness, communication counseling, the selling of condoms, and inter-sector and community approach. the actions implemented in growing participation by the population, people with hiv and
10:13 am
other key groups have had a positive impact on indicators of behavioral change within the cuban population. >> [speaking cuban] translator: until december 2014, there were 21,922 people diagnosed with hiv. 3652 have died and 18,270 were living with hiv. prevalence in the population 15-45 years of age is 0.25% >> [speaking cuban]
10:14 am
translator: males are the most affected representing 3/4 of those with the disease and men who have sex with other men make 72% of all cases and 89% of diagnosed males. >> [speaking cuban] translator: for the prevention of mother to child transmission of hiv, the program applied and adapted to each given moment and
10:15 am
in line with the national scientific recommended action. hiv testing at the first prenatal visit to cesarean delivery in the suspension of breast-feeding were the only preventive measures being applied up to the late 1980's. the transmission rate than exceeded the 40%. >> [speaking cuban] translator: performing quarterly
10:16 am
hiv serology through pregnancy screening of sectoral parsers -- partners, retroviral therapy and load measurement to monitor its effectiveness, cesarean delivery, preventive treatment of the newborn and their clinical and laboratory follow-up make up the preventive strategy we apply. the rate of mother to child transmission of hiv has been at or below 2% during the last three years. >> [speaking cuban] translator: the care and treatment of people living with hiv is integrated into the network of health care services.
10:17 am
it is provided by the family doctor and nurse offices and also involves medical specialist from the local clinic who have been trained in hiv-aids. with participation by the existing specialized services when individual needs arise including referral to secondary and tertiary care institutions if necessary. >> [speaking cuban] translator: in cooperation with the global fight to fight aids, and malaria, it has been created to ensure access to special monitoring studies and today we have nine laboratories and five viral laboratories. >> [speaking cuban]
10:18 am
translator: cuba is made great efforts to ensure access to free retroviral treatment to those requiring it. research, development and local production of drugs access to care provided by the national health system and technical cooperation received have made such results possible. today, 13,075 humans -- cubans receive treatment. >> [speaking cuban]
10:19 am
translator: in response to the commitment made at the 50th directing council of the pan-american health council in 2010, cuba began its validation process for the elimination of mother to child transmission of hiv and congenital syphilis in november 2013 conveying it in a formal request through the pan-american health organization. >> [speaking cuban]
10:20 am
translator: once the country report was submitted, a process of exchange began between the national team and the original advisory validation committee. a validation visit was organized for the fourth and fifth of december, 2014. during this visit, regional experts assessed the reliability of the report, dated, and views and exchanged these with a local team in the validation visit validate this. >> [speaking cuban]
10:21 am
translator: the original validation committee was made up of experts in different areas and observers belonging to the world health organization and the pan-american health organization unh unicef, the international community of women living with hiv sensors for the control of the united states and others amid visited different provinces. family nurse officers and hospitals in maternity homes and information processing units laboratories, and they interviewed program managers and beneficiaries of this -- of these services. >> [speaking cuban]
10:22 am
translator: the original advisory committee concluded its visit and expressed its assessment and announced the following steps, a process that concluded yesterday, june 30, with the recognition of cuba having attained the validation regarding the elimination of these diseases. >> [speaking cuban] translator: thank you very much. [applause] >> you stand up here sir. thank you very much, minister. we forgot to point out that this occasion is historic because -- because it is today that we open the embassy in cuba and here. we are especially honored that you decided to speak today. mr. minister. herb perrone will field your
10:23 am
questions and ask the questions. i think he can be heard without the microphone. >> let me stand back here so everybody gets the sound. our first question is from our former president. how will the restoration of u.s.-cuba relations lead to cooperation between the u.s. and cuba to advance public health? >> [speaking cuban] translator: we believe that reestablishment of relations with the united states
10:24 am
like we do it many other countries with which we have relations in the fields of science and medical science >> [speaking cuban] translator: will allow us to exchange experiences and knowledge among us all construct projects that give response to problems involving the population on both sides of the world. >> do you have an opinion about obama care or the affordable care act? >> [speaking cuban]
10:25 am
translator: we don't have full information that would allow us to provide a view. >> [speaking cuban] translator: what i can say is for the last few months and years we have been receiving visits by the cdc who have accompanied us on scientific events. >> [speaking cuban] translator: and other personalities from the field of health care and science in general. >> [speaking cuban] translator: it will show a high level of commit toward the solution of the problems of the populations. >> how will the reestablishment
10:26 am
of diplomatic relations and recognition, mutual recognition, advance c the dissemination of cuban knowledge and science here and throughout the world? >> [speaking cuban] translator: we believe it will allow for the reality behind the cuban health care system to be better known. >> [speaking cuban] 1 translator: because many times, the interpretation shows lack of knowledge on this system. >> [speaking cuban]
10:27 am
translator: cuba extends cooperation to more than 80 countries. we today have -- >> [speaking cuban] translator: we have more than 50,000 health cooperation workers working abroad. >> [speaking cuban] translator: and more than 25,000 of them are doctors. >> [speaking cuban] 1 we believe cuban health care is free for access to everyone
10:28 am
regardless of the color of their skin and no discrimination is made as to their political beliefs. >> [speaking cuban] translator: it is based on a principle which is internationalism. >> [speaking cuban] translator: that is why we based it on sharing that which we have. >> [speaking cuban] translator: indeed, the main resource available for the cuban revolution and medical services are human resources. >> [speaking cuban] translator: this allows us to say today we have 7.7 doctors per every 1000 inhabitants. >> [speaking cuban] translator: which is the same as one doctor every 130 people.
10:29 am
>> [speaking cuban] translator: with them having the highest value in our society and a high scientific level in these doctors. >> [speaking cuban] translator: which is why we believe exchanging experiences and cooperating is the right path as shown by how we work towards the ebola epidemic in africa in which cuba was participating and so was the united states and it was
10:30 am
working. >> [speaking cuban] translator: i believe that is a road we can travel. >> will normalization of relations lead to public/private partnerships? partnerships with u.s. companies to advance health initiatives in cuba and the united states? >> [speaking cuban] translator: public health in cuba is free, regionalized, and he will be continuing to be free and regionalized and accessible. >> [speaking cuban]
10:31 am
translator: there is a foreign investment i ever national assembly in 2014. >> [speaking cuban] translator: which provides opportunities for entities to participate in cuba and we believe with the reestablishment of relations, the u.s. will take advantage of such possibilities as of course we would help when the u.s. blockade of cuba is eliminated. >> with the reduction in infection and mortality rates from hiv what is being done in
10:32 am
cuba to maintain a high level of public awareness of the risks of risky sexual behavior? >> [speaking cuban] translator: the cuban health care has its main strength and primary care. >> [speaking cuban] translator: with in it, the program of the family doctor and family nurse. >> [speaking cuban] translator: which allows us to have an office for a family doctor and family nurse every 1095 inhabitants. >> [speaking cuban]
10:33 am
translator: we insist that the main contribution can be made by educating the population via mass media. >> [speaking cuban] translator: so that our population can be aware of the risks. >> [speaking cuban] translator: this has allowed us to have an impact on health indicators. >> [speaking cuban] translator: which, as we know, in a 50% level by the living style of the person. >> [speaking cuban]
10:34 am
translator: in raising awareness about health care, we are also promoting self-care of the individual. >> [speaking cuban] translator: not only when it comes to hiv -- sexually-transmitted diseases and hiv, passive hiv. >> [speaking cuban] translator: but over and above in the risk factors that lead to the main causes of death for cubans. >> [speaking cuban] translator: today we have a life expectancy of's 78.5 years. >> [speaking cuban] translator: we expect to reach 80 years of life expectancy with the expectation of people being
10:35 am
able to live their lives normally inserted into society. >> [speaking cuban] translator: the main causes of death among cubans today is cancer, heart disease is, and vascular diseases. >> [speaking cuban] translator: that is why we are working on risk habits like smoking, exercises, a healthy diet, a reduction in the consumption of alcohol. this will allow us to have a greater impact in the health of cubans. >> [speaking cuban] translator: in connection with hiv and syphilis -- >> [speaking cuban] translator: with these steps of
10:36 am
the validation which has certified that we have eliminated the transmission of mother to child in these diseases. >> [speaking cuban] translator: which should position us to continue working so syphilis and hiv cease being a health risk for the cuban population. >> do you have any special programs or special outreach tailored specifically to gay men? >> [speaking cuban] translator: we have a sex education program going on in cuba. >> [speaking cuban] translator: which is coordinated by the national health education
10:37 am
center which is under our ministry. >> [speaking cuban] translator: so that it allows for the cuban population to have an ever greater respect for sexual preferences of people. >> [speaking cuban] translator: we have a whole program devoted to these ends. >> [speaking cuban] translator: where our core of actions are implemented especially around weeks that we have in may devoted to these issues. >> [speaking cuban] translator: when we have a special day devoted to the fight against homophobia. >> [speaking cuban] translator: i believe in that
10:38 am
respect we have taken important steps. >> how do you explain the fact that in spite of sanctions against cuba, cuba has developed one of the best health care systems in the region? >> [speaking cuban] translator: cuba has its platform or health care system -- established from the very moment of the victory of the cuban revolution in 1959. >> [speaking cuban] translator: when we only had 6000 doctors. stationed mostly in the big cities -- of which nearly 50% of these
10:39 am
doctors migrated mostly to the united states. >> [speaking cuban] translator: we had just one medical faculty the at the university of havana. >> [speaking cuban] translator: our priority for our government since 1959 has been the health of the cuban population. >> [speaking cuban] translator: which has allowed us to develop our human capital. >> [speaking cuban] translator: today, we have, for instance, 13 medical science universities. >> [speaking cuban] translator:two independent medical faculties and the latin american medical school. >> [speaking cuban] translator: which has allowed us to train the amount of professionals i mentioned. >> [speaking cuban] translator: which in the case of
10:40 am
doctors, are 82,000. >> [speaking cuban] translator: and which has allowed us to train human resources not only with a view to our own country but to other countries in excess of 82. >> [speaking cuban] translator: especially allowing or medical development and research to spearhead health development. >> [speaking cuban] translator: we should also point out that we have been able to reap the results that have been due to the development of the pharmaceutical and biotech
10:41 am
hologic industry in cuba -- biotechnological industry in cuba. >> [speaking cuban] translator: for instance, the vaccination program of 13 vaccines against aids -- against aids vaccines -- these are nationally produced. >> [speaking cuban] translator: we can say that out of a basic amount of medications -- made up of 857 medications 68% of those medications are nationally produced among which we can mention the retroviral
10:42 am
which allows us to provide treatment for all those patients who need the treatment and to have them free of charge. >> [speaking cuban] translator: development of human capital. the strengthening of primary care, medical care via the family doctor and family nurse and the development of cuba biological/pharmaceutical industries. >> [speaking cuban] translator: with a strong component of inter-sector participation and community participation. >> [speaking cuban] translator: based on expressed political will on health care which has become
10:43 am
a result of the cuban revolution. >> is the normalization of relations going to help you to advance public health with maybe needed medical supplies are easier access to medications? >> [speaking cuban] translator: we believe yes. >> [speaking cuban] translator: the effects of the economic commercial, and financial blockade to cuba has been higher than $60 billion. regrettably, how it has hurt health care and how much
10:44 am
suffering it has caused cannot be calculated. we therefore believe the reestablishment of diplomatic relations and the lifting of the blockade should allow us to buy technology and products that today cannot reach her country and will be to the benefit of the population in cuba. >> how will the normalization of relations lead to greater scientific corporation between the u.s. and cuba? -- greater scientific cooperation between the u.s. and cuba? >> [speaking cuban] translator: scientific integration, i believe it will allow us to build proposals as generally
10:45 am
happens with peers in the given fields of science. so that we believe it will have an impact on our on problem solving concerning our own population and in the cooperation we extend to other people and other nations in the world. >> what would you say is the most important benefit to the cuban people of normalization of relations? >> [speaking cuban]
10:46 am
translator: in general, the issues along we could work, we have to wait to build the expected steps that will be taken. and then we will see, based on this concrete actions, once implemented, we can do that which is possible. >> what is your agenda here in washington for this visit? will you meet with congress or other u.s. officials? >> [speaking cuban] translator: indeed, our visit has been due to an invitation we
10:47 am
have received from the director of the pan-american health organization. with the aim of granting cuba the certification and validation of having eliminated mother to child hiv and syphilis. >> [speaking cuban] translator: and we, of course, were happy to accept this invitation to speak with you but over the next few hours, we will go back home. >> do you believe your compliments in the area of reducing std infections will lead to an increase in medical tourism to cuba? >> [speaking cuban]
10:48 am
translator: indeed, the year 2014 as has been publicly announced saw growth in tourism and during the first half of this year, it has continued to grow. so there is no doubt that going to a country where there is the level of safety that is there that is available in our country and all that allows for a public health system like ours favors the strategy involving health tourism. >> this would be our final
10:49 am
question -- what lessons can cuba teach the u.s. and other nations about advancing public health? >> [speaking cuban] translator: the first ring that needs to exist is the willingness to push for the health of the population in the different places. >> [speaking cuban] translator: cuban devotes 28% of its budget to health care and welfare and 9.7% of its gross domestic product. >> [speaking cuban]
10:50 am
translator: that shows the will that has existed and the determination to guarantee the health care of our population. >> [speaking cuban] translator: along those lines it's responsible to promote health care systems that are universal -- that have a universal provision of care. >> [speaking cuban] translator: we could say that should include seeing health care from the point of view of the ministries of public health but health care has to be seen from the point of view of life. in that respect and
10:51 am
inter-sector approach and an involvement of the community becomes indispensable. >> [speaking cuban] translator: i believe we have our own model for health care and every country observing their own characteristics should have its own proposal. >> [speaking cuban] translator: i believe this is also a formula for the building of a better world to which we have all been called for. >> [speaking cuban] translator: also, there is a need to preserve the human species. thank you very much. [applause] >> we at the press club are very grateful for this superb presentation and this very historic presentation. thank you very much. >> thank you.
10:52 am
>> we also have a wonderful audience. [applause] >> thank you all very much. thank you. [captions copyright national cable satellite corp. 2015] [captioning performed by the national captioning institute, which is responsible for its caption content and accuracy. visit ncicap.org] >> the cuban health minister, the first cuban official to speak at the press club in 50 years as we prepare to hear from president obama shortly in about eight minutes or so, announcing that the u.s. and cuba are formerly -- formally renewing diplomatic relations.
10:53 am
the cuban foreign ministry's of the embassies in washington and havana would open on july 20. a senior administration official confirmed the embassy planning. the official assisted on -- insisted on anonymity. we will also likely hear from secretary john kerry. he will be the first secretary of state to travel to cuba since 1961. while we wait for the president to talk about cuba, a lighter event on the south side of the white house yesterday, the girl scouts camped on the lawn of this -- the south lawn of the white house with the first lady and president obama greeting the girl scouts. . the first lady is the honorary president of the girl scouts of america >> [laughter] >> what are you guys doing in my yard? when did you guys show appear?
10:54 am
you pulled up one hour ago? who are you? [laughter] >> hi, obama. >> what's been going on? you are singing camp songs? [laughter] >> what do you all have planned? >> you have been singing but what were you doing before you are singing? >> we were eating. >> you had dinner? you did rockclimbing? where did you go rockclimbing? there are no rocks here. what are you talking about?
10:55 am
you can vouch for this? are you having fun? . >> yes. >> most of you guys are going to fifth grade? >> fifth-grade. >> are you from a bunch of different troops? >> yes. >> from all over the country? you guys are making new friends? >> look at their cool chairs. >> they are very nice chairs. >> we want to bring them home. >> when i went camping, my tent was not as nice. >> did you have a chair? >> no. >> did we give you these chairs? >> they just showed up. i don't know what you guys are doing. >> we are camping on your lawn.
10:56 am
[laughter] >> i don't know how that happened. you are making history. >> go by camera. >> the reason you are here is we are celebrating the great outdoors and the national park service is trying to make sure the young people get outside. so you guys and i watching tv all the time or playing video games all the time but you are getting outside and getting fresh air and spending time with your friends and having adventures. the national parks are all across the country. the white house is a national park. i did not know that. you guys knew it. you guys are helping to celebrate and kick off the great outdoors thing this summer? >> yes. >> i don't really know any
10:57 am
campfire songs. do you know any? >> yes. >> the you have a song? -- do you have a song? >> what's really great is that our president and first lady both referenced making new friends. actually, these five troops are from different areas so you all have met each other today and you will be friends forever and you will have this common bond that you have been camping on our president and first lady's lawn. why don't we sing that song, making friends. we have a song called make new friends. you can cheat. he is a brave new girl. [laughter] he is out here. that's incredible.
10:58 am
would it be all right, mr. president and first lady, if we sing for you? >> thank you. >> this is a traditional song the girl scouts sang and we will do this a little special. we will do this in rounds. you are in group number one. the two of you are in group number one. ok, when we say 1 you remember this? we will sing it all together first and then we will do it in rounds. ready? >> ♪ make new friends but keep the old one is silver and the other is gold. circles around but has no end that's how long i want to be your friend. 1
10:59 am
make new friends but keep the old. 2 one is silver and the other is gold. 3 make new friends but keep the old one is silver and the other is gold. ♪ ♪ everybody -- make new friends but keep the old when is silver and the other is gold a circle is round and has no end that's how long i want to be your friend. ♪ [applause] >> fantastic, that was outstanding. you are real talented. you guys sounded pretty good.
11:00 am
you can go on "america's got talent." no doubt about it. no doubt about it. >> we've got another song for you if that is all right. how many of you do not have a sister? that is actually a trick question because if you look to your left and look to your right and look across, you have a sister, you have lots of sisters. you are all our sisters. you are our sister to, mr. president. president obama: i am your brother. >> but you are very in touch with your feminine side. that is what makes you so wonderful. so i wrote this song -- >> first lady in the world. >> i actually wrote that song for eleanor roosevelt.
11:01 am
here is another first lady of the world. but we are not going to do that song, because we don't know that one. how about if we do the one we know you don't he is very in touch with his feminine side. president obama: i think there is the whole plan here. i think it has all been staged a little bit. come on. >> this song, i wrote this song because i fell in love with the girl scouts and i love the girl scout promise. the girl scout blaw is amazing. you remember it, right? they just learned this moments ago. that is how good they are. ♪ i love being in our girl scouts on my honor i will try to keep
11:02 am
the promise that i made serve my god, serve my country because it is right to learned that way i do my best to be courageous, honest friendly, fair and strong respect my flag, reese that all others, if i do that, i can't go wrong i love being a girl scout sisters everyone, working having fun i want to help the world out that is what i am about, i love being a girl scout ♪ i crossed this land, around this earth, girls reach out in peace
11:03 am
different in every language sharing in the same believe doctor lawyer, cpa, and a mother when i'm grown proud to hear my daughter say i love being a girl scout, sisters everyone, working having fun i want to help the world out that is what i'm about, i love being a girl scout. do you think we can do this in round? i love being i love being i love being a girl scout i love
11:04 am
being a girl scout love being a girl scout i love being a girl scout. i love being a girl got here we go i love being a girl scout [applause] president obama: that was outstanding. >> thank you. you rocked it. president obama: if you see the first lady rocking out a bit? she had some moves. president obama: you guys are having so much fun. unfortunately, i've got to go to work. i am not allowed to have fun. but we can have a group hug. >> nicely.
11:05 am
be careful. president obama: those are some good hug. i did not know girl scouts gave such good hug. those are girl scout over there. they look at least like they are juniors. good to see you guys. i am so glad you guys are having fun. i want to make sure you guys are going to clean up this mess. i am teasing.
11:06 am
i am teasing. are not going to be making a racket are you? >> where is your daughter? >> maybe. have fun. >> thank you. see you guys. [applause] >> any parents here? [captioning performed by the
11:07 am
national captioning institute, which is responsible for its caption content and accuracy. visit ncicap.org] [captions copyright national cable satellite corp. 2015] president obama: have fun. remember to put out the fire before you go to bed. [applause] >> goodbye.
11:08 am
>> goodbye. : president obama: hold on.
11:09 am
president obama: good morning everybody. please have a seat. more than 54 years ago at the height of the cold war the united states closed its embassy in havana. today i can an ounce the united states has agreed to formally reestablish diplomatic relations with the republic of cuba and reopen and the seas in our wrist acted countries. this is a historic step forward in the efforts to normalize relations with the cuban government and people and begin a new chapter with our neighbors in the americas. when the united rate shut our embassy in 1961, i do not think anyone it acted it would be more than half a century before we
11:10 am
opened. after all our nations are separated by only 90 miles and the deep bonds of family and friendship between our people but there have been very real profound differences between our government. sometimes we allowed ourselves to be trapped by our way of doing things. in the united states that lay claim to a policy that was not working. instead of supporting democracy and opportunity for cuban people our opportunity to isolate cuban people has the opposite effect, isolating the united states from our neighbors in this hemisphere. the progress we mark today is yet another demonstration that we do not have to be imprisoned by the past. when something is not working we can and will change. last december i announced the united states and cuba decided to take steps to normalize our relationship. as part of that effort, right you'll castro and iestablished teams. -- - castro and i is the
11:11 am
listings. later todayraoul secretary kerry and i will probably raise the american flag over the embassy once more. this is not merely symbolic. if this change we will be able to substantially increase contact with the cuban people, more personnel at the embassy and more -- and our diplomats will have the ability to engage more broadly across the aisle. that will include the cuban government civil society and ordinary cubans who are reaching for a better life. on issues of common interest like counterterrorist, disaster response and development, we will find new ways to cooperate with you but. i have been clear we will also continue to have very serious differences. that will include americans and during support for universal values like freedom of speech and assembly and the ability to access information. we will not hesitate to speak
11:12 am
out when we see actions that contradict the values. we strongly believe the best way for market to support our values is through engagement. that is why we already taken that to allow for greater travel , people to people and commercial ties between the united states and cuba, and we will continue to do so going forward. we have already seen enormous enthusiasm for this approach. leaders across the americas have expressed support for the change in policy. you heard that expressed by the president of brazil yesterday. public opinion surveys in both our country show broad support for the engagement. one cuban said i have prepared for this all my life. another said it is like a shot of off region. a cuban teacher put it simply, we are neighbors, now we can be friends. here in the united states we've seen the same enthusiasm. there are americans who want to
11:13 am
travel to cuba and american businesses who want to invest in cuba. colleges and university who want to partner with cuba. above all, americans want to get to know their neighbors to the south. we can also help the cuban people improve their own lives. one look forward to reuniting him with an opening lines of communication. another put it bluntly, you cannot put the future cuba hostage to what happened in the past. that is what this is about, a choice between the future in the past. americans and cubans alike are ready to move forward. i believe it is time for congress to do the same. i have called on congress to lift steps that prevent the embargo that prevent americans from traveling or doing business in cuba. we have already seen members from both parties begin the work. there are those who want to turn back the clock and doubled on on a policy of isolation, but it is long past time for us to realize this approach does not work. it has not worked for 50 years.
11:14 am
it shuts america out of cuba's future and only makes life worse for the cuban people. i would ask congress to listen to the cuban people, and american people, listen to the words of a proud cuban american, carlos gutierrez who came out against the policy of the past saying i wonder if the cubans who have had to stand in line for the basic necessities in that our hot heavy and feel this approach is helpful to them? no one expects cuba to be transformed overnight. i believe american engagement through the embassy and most of all to our people is the best way to advance our interests and support for democracy and human rights. time to get america's to demonstrate the leadership in the world is our capacity to change. it is what inspires the world to reach for something better. a year ago i might have seen it impossible that the united states would once again be
11:15 am
raising our flag over the embassy in havana. this is what change looks like. in january 1961, the year i was born, when president eisenhower announced the termination of our relations with cuba he said it is my hope in conviction that it is in the not-too-distant future it will be possible for the historic friendship between us once again to find the reflection in normal relations. it took a while but i believe that time has come. a better future lies ahead. thank you very much. i want to thank some of my team who worked diligently to make this happen. they are here. they do not always gets acknowledged. we are proud of them. good work. >> president obama in the reestablishment of diplomatic ties and reopening of embassies in washington to the cuban
11:16 am
embassy in havana. this is the first time since 1961, saying the secretary of a john kerry will travel personally to havana to open the embassy in july. we want to get your reaction to the renewal of diplomatic ties between the u.s. and cuba. who benefits the most? here is how to join the conversation. for democrats -- republicans (202) 737-0002 for all others -- comment on facebook or twitter. some tweets about some of the policy issues behind the opening of relations of cuba, the reopening of the embassies. amy tweets this, looking forward to big announcements in cuba. i now have 17 cosponsors on my bipartisan bill to lift the embargo.
11:17 am
charlie wrangle saying the u.s. embassy to open and vice versa. he includes the photograph of a bill to lift the trade embargo from cuba and other purposes introduced in the 103rd session of congress back in 1993. president obama mentioning the embargo beginning in 1961, the year he was born. going to florida to find out what gale things on the diplomatic ties. who benefits the most? caller: i think the people benefit the most. we do not understand what happened when fidel castro went into cuba. they left behind material stuff. the people who have been hurt the most with the embargo are the ordinary citizens who lack
11:18 am
the basic necessities to live. i think it is a good thing that is happening. i personally have family members in cuba. so i feel my spirit is good about what is happening because it will benefit the people. i applaud the president for what he is doing. >> reaction for former governor jeb bush. this is a piece of a reaction from presidential candidate. they write most of the candidates currently seeking the republican candidate nomination have long been opposed to the obama administration moved toward reestablishing diplomatic relations. the beneficiaries of the ill-advised move will be the heinous castro brothers who have oppressed the cuban people for decades. that is from jeb bush who wrote on his facebook page after the initial announcement by president obama back in december
11:19 am
2014. since then the former governor has entered the race for president. we hear from englishtown, new jersey. dave on the republican line. good morning. caller: i feel like it is a double-edged war. i am always happy to see an oppressed people are given the opportunity to move forward and given basic life necessities. i think it will benefit us as a nation because it will provide us with access to another security measure. we don't know what cuba's intelligence is in the world but at this point we can use basically any allies we can't that is willing to entertain the idea of being moral and taking care of its people, or at least be open to the opportunity. >> do you think by the nature of
11:20 am
opening and embassy, does that make you fun ally to the u.s.? caller: i don't believe so. the country or the nation itself may profess to be an ally, but the people who live in the country and factions in the country, and this can go for any country who may resist us. we don't know what the extent could be. we don't know how deep and layered it is and into the government. it is a very slippery slope. you cannot really tell how it will play out from a civil rights and humanitarian standpoint, i think it is definitely going to be helpful. as a republican, i have to raise a conspiracy theory, one that has been raised by a lot of people that are non-democrat or republican. they are wondering if this is just a political move to open the door to bring more people in
11:21 am
and force them to vote for an agenda that may not be in line with what most americans want. >> the president said this is not just symbolic. thank you for those comments. going to maryland. democrats line. welcome. caller: thank you for taking my call. i support obama when he said he had lifted the embargo between the u.s. and cuba. i watched him and now watch him as he gets this testament. my question or my comment is i grew up in the same era of fidel castro.
11:22 am
i am just wondering now that this relationship has been opened whether we will go through the u.n. or the u.s. and the soviet union, are they going to fight because when they grew up as a student i was being told the cuckoo -- cuban custom was communist. i am wondering whether in cuba are they leaning more to the policies of the soviet union? are they more democratic than the policies of the united states and whether we in the u.s. are going to gain by the neighbor coming closer to us. >> that is part of our question, who benefits the most from this
11:23 am
diplomatic restoration between cuba and the u.s.? going back to florida. luis on the republican line. welcome. caller: when i hear the embassy being opened in cuba, all i can think about is cubans and fitting the most, because the castro regime has total control of the island and whatever we put into the island, they take from us. the only person benefiting from this is the cubans. once we open the embassy we will open other relations and getting them more and will go straight to the castro brothers pockets. >> let's see the talk on twitter. this is one from candace tweet you cannot hold the future of cuba hostage to what has happened in the past. shame on you says henry, you get legitimacy to a 56-year-old illegal communist totalitarian dictatorship. you are a traitor to freedom. a couple of tweaksets in spanish --
11:24 am
essentially saying the president is seeking to establish his legacy by reopening the embassy. she also told msnbc a short while ago the cubans will use the embassy in washington for espionage purposes and to endanger the national security. long an advocate of maintaining the embargo and not renewing diplomatic ties. here is fill in silver spring, maryland. go ahead. caller: thank you for having me on. i would like to risk onto the restaurant as to who benefits. i believe the two countries will find themselves in a win-win situation. i think ultimately the united states wins because when international markets are opened there is a credit to the economy.
11:25 am
so the cubans will in fact be well-off as a result of this restoration. and of course, u.s. investors will have one as well. it is fair to say the two countries will be in a win-win situation. politically, yes. there are some people in opposition to the idea, but the truth of the matter is as the president has said and so many americans have said, there is no need for the prolonged conflict. it is about time people realized the two countries could do some things that will be beneficial to all of them. >> we hear from george in tampa florida. the democrats line. who benefits the most from the reestablishment of the nomadic ties -- diplomatic ties?
11:26 am
caller: i believe both will benefit. i'm a cuban-american. i believe the embargo or economic blockade has done all the damage it can possibly do. it has done nothing positive. i think the courage the president had to step forward and do this will benefit in ways that are unbelievable. one of the main ways is the embargo blockade also blocked the american people from being able to travel. many of the people not in favor of it need to understand they should not get in the way of the american people to stop it from going to cuba. it is a victory for both countries in many fields economically politically and humanly. >> the embassy, according to
11:27 am
the president, well reopen in july and cuba, havana and here in the united states. port charlotte florida, next. johnny on the republican line. caller: i think normalized relations is one of the very few good things this president has done. i can't see where both countries cannot benefit immensely from the cultural exchange. the embargo has obviously fail. we should have normalized relations 25 years ago. we have normal relations with vietnam, and they were at war with us. these people never fired a shot. it will be nice to travel to cuba and get real cuban cigars. >> harris comments from facebook. .com/cspan. lelda says, cuban-american
11:28 am
families benefit so we can go back and visit family. stephen watson, thank you, president obama. couple of more calls to jennifer . what do you think about the reestablishment of diplomatic ties? >> caller: i think it will be a mutual benefit to all of us, all around the world. it is truly the most profound and happy ray of hope i have experienced in my lifetime. i am really happy about the changes taking place, and i think it is great the president has come out as strong as he has and has said it is the right thing to do. i think any people that are not positioned will no longer be able to voice their opinions about the castro brothers because a lot of barriers -- a lot of untruths will be broken
11:29 am
with the opening relations, and we will learn that cuba is really not such a bad guy after all. i am glad we're all going to be friends. >> secretary of state john kerry will travel to cuba for the reopening of the embassy in july. here is what hillary clinton thinks about the reopening of the embassy. she tweeted this -- new embassy and havana helps us to engage cuban people and build on efforts to support positive change. good stuff for u.s. and cuban people. good morning. i hope that have -- i have that right. caller: the relation between the u.s. and florida is going in the right direction by president
11:30 am
obama. this policy of isolating cuba for over 50 years does not really work. all of the countries are taking advantage in cuba. talk about china russians. yet they are not benefiting anything from that country. we're talking about human rights abusers in cuba. what about the people in china. jj diplomatic relationships with our country. so many other countries. i think the people that they had to benefit the most of the arrangement is american people and the cuban people, because of american businesses have the ability to tap into the populace
11:31 am
of cuba it is going to go over well for them. we cannot allow politicians to stick to the past when we have the future to look ahead. >> thank you for your call. a couple more here. carol on the republican line. caller: hello. i'm in the heart of the florida keys. my friends and neighbors are cubans. i am a registered republican pro-life as are many of my cuban friends. but i believe the cuban resentment of increasing ties with cuba is disingenuous, and it is because many of the original immigrants hope to go back and regain their land,
11:32 am
number one. number two my cuban friends go back and forth to cuba all the time and send money. somehow they are able to do this . as soon as their friends and relatives hit dry ground they are subsidized embraced by community. unlike other immigrants, they are not hunted down by the government to be deported. these losses will be severe to the cuban community. that is where disingenuous talk is coming from. >> appreciate your call. one more tweet from random america -- two danny in fenway park illinois. democrats line. caller: i think cuban-american
11:33 am
relations, although they have been pretty bad in the past, i think any attempts to repair the relationships should be appreciated by the american people. i think that president obama is trying to make it better for everyone in the u.s. that it would be better for cuban-american to have family in cuba to contact and be able to talk to family in cuba. >> appreciate your comments. the conversation continues online. we will take you live to the pentagon for a briefing with the chairman of the joint chiefs, general martin dempsey and secretary of defense, ashton carter coming up at 1:30 eastern. president obama headed to nashville tennessee. he will be at an elementary school talking about health care in the wake of last week's supreme court ruling upholding
11:34 am
his subsidy in the health care law. that is coming up this afternoon . we will have that live on c-span as well. we will take you back to the courtroom, the ninth circuit court of appeals in california hearing a case about california's concealed carry law. >> all rise.
11:35 am
the united states court of appeals in the ninth circuit is now in session. >> be seated. >> can afternoon, ladies and judgment. we're here for a recap hearing on the case of bruno versus cameron san diego and richard versus county of your low. before we begin, i want to remind everyone to turn off their cell phones we do not interrupt the attorneys presenting the case.
11:36 am
to require an applicant to resent the case for an acute need for self-defense which distinguishes themselves from their ordinary fellow citizens. my client complaint is not with the california's that tottori scheme because the statutory scheme itself can be interpreted to bring -- respect second amendment rights. in fact, it has been so interpreted in the majority of california cases to allow much more permissive and allow people to get concealed carry permits for self defense permits. that includes california counties like sacramento better right populace. thus the storage of the constitutional difficult --
11:37 am
difficulty is not with the statutory fee but san diego's interpretation of the good clause statutory. that is striking down the policy would not violate any statute of california, and in doing so would change those from constitutional doubt. the question i would also emphasize is not whether there is a constitutional right to concealed carry. rather the question is whether there is a constitutional right for some outlet to exercise the right to bear or carry arms for purposes of self-defense. the answer as the heller decision i believe makes abundantly clear that yes, the government cannot completely foreclosed an avenue for exercising an important second amendment right. the government in response to this would try to suggest the second amendment is somehow a horn bound -- homebound right. that does not take into bearing
11:38 am
arms or carrying arms outside the home but only extends to keeping the arms in the homes in the first instance. >> in terms of the procedural status at this point -- >> in terms of the procedural status at this point, since the sheriff chose not to appeal, and now the state is going to be making an argument here to intervene, is this now a different vehicle that we hold the abeyance baker without the sheriff? >> i think it can be decided the same. that might depend ultimately on the resolve of the state's motion to intervene. we don't have an issue with the state to be here to get involved in the case. but we do take issue with them
11:39 am
to be here under rule 24 that justifies them being here because of a federal statute we don't think the challenge calls into question the constitutionality for the reasons i think i have already elaborated. we don't have a beef with the statutes if my client was fortunate to live in sacramento county there is no objection to what the state has done in the way it interprets good cause. >> do you think the recent denial of the jackson case out of california has any bearing cents the supreme court doesn't him like to talk about the second amendment very often. years go by. can we read the tea leaves? >> that might make your decision all the more important but otherwise i think they are about the same. it is important to the client that their case is over but we have been instructed not to read anything into this simple denial of service. the court could have denied that
11:40 am
for any number of reasons. >> what can the sheriff require a safety course of completion? >> absolutely, your honor. something like that would be much more tethered to the interests that it is asserted. we are not here to take issue of the regime generally. we don't have a beef the licensing scheme is administered by the majority of counties in california that requires a certificate of training and other background checks to make
11:41 am
sure someone is in the category were they are able but maybe there is a case down the road if the county to have us landed more restrictive interpretation of good cause. but you only get to show good cause if you have a better reason for the firearm than your fellow citizen with self-defense with the supreme court decision that said every citizen but the people have the right to possess a fire alarm for purposes of self-defense so that is of the basic defense to save the only way you can exercise your second amendment right is to show you have a better basis to exercise that right than your fellow citizens. >> you are unhappy with the comparative nature. but you have emphasized that self-defense is the touchstone. so can the county require someone to demonstrate that they require a firearm for defense, regardless of whether it is
11:42 am
compared to anybody else's need? >> i suppose if a county of wanted to take a position that says and to satisfy a good cause is in then to articulate why it is you have a need for self-defense, i don't think we would be here objecting to that. obviously the supreme court in the heller decision was focused on it self-defense so we take that as our guide to satisfy their good cause requirement. you may need to explain the basis for your desire for self-defense but it should that be the only way to reduce which is if i have an acute need that distinguishes read from my fellow citizens.
11:43 am
>> but under your theory, any self-defense should be good cause? >> i don't think so. but with the san diego policy did not give my clients and opportunity beyond the distinct right compared to citizens we were not denied because that was not good enough but because the county has a policy that requires the showing to be extraordinary. >> a premise for the three judge panel decision was a law-abiding citizen has the right to carry in public whether openly or concealed. so as i read that a three judge panel if you were not a convicted felon as a law-abiding citizen you have a right to
11:44 am
carry concealed or open and followed from that. it does not allow the unrestricted open and carry that it had to be permissive du share the promise of the three judge panel? >> we think that is correct. >> when i say promised their argument stemming from their premise that any law-abiding adult citizen has the right to carry one or the other. -- in a specific showing? >> they have the second amendment right but to have an absolute entitlement but like all constitutional principles is not without limits. >> what limitations do you see? >> i don't know if i see and the obvious ones in this context.
11:45 am
>> that doesn't help me very much. you can limit the right to carry in public but you don't tell me what? >> as a starting point it is fairly clear the state should have the option how they regulate carry. if they prefer open carry and another state has concealed carry they have that option also how they go about licensing regimes or whether they require longer training courses and to see the policy to understand. where there there is an argument that conforms with the second amendment or not. >> but to go back historically to baldwin where the court basically said to keep and bear arms is not infringed by laws
11:46 am
that actually prohibit the carrying of concealed weapons. >> i don't think they have ever had occasion but i don't think abrogate their dictum. >> how does that case fit into your construct, and what would you have us do with that case? construct, and what would you have us do with that case? >> this was the point i was trying to make. we are not here saying we have an absolute constitutional right to concealed carry. the way i would understand what the robinson court meant by that dictum, they have a paragraph whether making a drive-by statement about six different constitutional rights. what i think they meant is on the assumption there was open carry in that state, that a concealed carry restriction would be consistent with the second amendment.
11:47 am
i think that's the way the supreme court in the heller decision understood what's going on in a state like georgia. the court specifically to front of a statute applied to firearms in particular for both open and concealed carry. both the georgia court back in the 1820's or 1840 said you have to essentially have a right to carry this one way or the other, obviously you're jumping the tracks from the regulation of the second amendment right to the obliteration of the second amendment right. that's how i understand the
11:48 am
robertson dictum. >> if it applies in this context, why would it not survive intermediate scrutiny? >> am glad you asked that. i don't think san diego's policy cancer arrive any form of form heightened scrutiny. there are a couple of hallmarks that include, first of all you relax the statutes are unconstitutional rather than the ordinary rational basis and the burden to challenge it and then you require actual evidence and if you look at the evidence in this case, it is all of one declaration and that this is 404. with all due respect that cannot be enough to satisfy -- and it gets countered by the declarations by the plaintiffs. >> but he doesn't even get to the relevant question.
11:49 am
he makes two observations. less concealed guns and less violence, but he doesn't ask what is the critical question which is if there are less concealed licensed guns how does that affect the level of violence. that is the relevant question. the county has no evidence on that and no excuse for not having the evidence. >> has the court conducted a trial, is there a fact on the question? >> what i think it is, this case went to summary judgment. the county had its opportunity to marshal all of its evidence. the burden is on it. at that point it doesn't get a do over and marshal the thought was sufficient evidence. we don't think they got the job done under the intermediate scrutiny. the court in a case like turner broadcasting talked about the
11:50 am
judgment but that was in the context where there had to be the judgment. the government never imposed requirements before. so you had to make a guess. here's the answer is in plain sight in fresno county and the san bernardino county. there is no evidence in this record, and i do not think there is any evidence in the world that when those states adopted a more permissive interpretation of the good cause standard that the sky fell or violence went up or that crime went up. when you have such an obvious comparator and the state does not offer you the evidence, it seems even if we are intermediate scrutiny, that does not get the job done. >> what do we do with the second, third, and fourth decision? glaspie and the third circuit. drake. there the court said the similar statutory revision all revised
11:51 am
statutory scrutiny. >> they did on their own. these decisions are not binding on the court. we could look to the seven circuit. i think the real difference is all of those cases, if they were taken intermediate scrutiny in doing it right or based on the evidentiary evidence in the case. the situation in new york is radically different. there were a number of hearings before the new york legislature dealing with provisions and a much richer records and the case that does not bear anything like the record in this case. part of that is the authority that if you think about the state interest in this case, it is not even an interest in public safety, because they would be perfectly happy for san diego county to interpret this the same way a sacramento county. from a state level, the interest is given discretion to his -- to county level official.
11:52 am
that is something that is true about this california is he that is not true about any other regime. >> i thought you said with respect to whether the evidence was available anywhere in the world that there was no such evidence. how can you say there is such a rich record in new york that supports what they are doing cap ? >> i was really talking about the record of california. what i don't think you have in other states because other states answered at the state level so what you have in california that distinguishes from the other states is the opportunity to have a very direct comparison about what would happen if we had a more permissive view of good cause compared to the policy being supported here. there are obvious comparator's sacramento county, fresno county. >> how long have the policies than an effect?
11:53 am
you cannot look at something going on for six months and draw legitimate conclusions. >> i think each county is a little bit different, but i think, of these policies have been in effect for years. when i say the evidence is not out there, all of the evidence i have cited in the record in the brief suggests when jurisdictions adopt a policy a relatively freer issue of concealed and permit carry. the crime rate stays exactly the same or it goes down. i am here to tell you that if you apply intermediate scrutiny and i am wrong about the satirical question and another jurisdiction makes a better case, that will be the consequence in the case. that is the great thing about intermediate scrutiny. it is not one-size-fits-all and done forever. it admits cases will be decided differently based on the particular jurisdiction.
11:54 am
i would invite you to take a look at the declaration. i think you will see -- i cannot think of another context where that kind of declaration would be enough of an of the venture eight basis that had the burden under intermediate scrutiny. thank you. >> aligarh for the richard allen fun. may average of three years of time for rebuttal. nobody argues in this case and no evidence that would suggest people with a heightened need for self defense are somehow find that virtue safer with firearms than our members of the community at large with only an ordinary garden-variety need to self-defense. rather the argument here in this case by the defendant is because
11:55 am
carrying guns for self-defense is allegedly dangerous they should be able to reduce the danger by reducing the number of people who are carrying handguns. the policies are nothing more or less are rationing scheme for fundamental right the government believes too dangerous to allow. >> i'm sorry. go ahead. i think the government is going to argue the customer are certain exceptions of people that can have concealed weapons that that is somehow it is not as harsh as it appears. what would be your response to that? certain military people, retired police officers, how would you respond to the argument? >> my response is this, if we have to refer to the balancing, the judgment the shirt has made that some people with a certain background are able to carry because a danger is somehow
11:56 am
lessened, the court would defer to at least three other areas. number one, the court would have to defer to the share judgment that no one can acceptably exercise its right. today i have decided it is just so dangerous, no one can have it. the second problem would be why only apply to the bear part of the second amendment? we heard the argument by keeping handguns at home is accountable -- unaccountably dangerous and for absolute need the public safety, the district of columbia should have been able to prohibit guns in the home. could washington, d c, enact a statute that said we will only allow people with an exceptionally strong fear of burglary or extra heightened need that can show someone wants to burglar the house, only they think you get a handgun at home. nothing in the second amendment would suggest this type of heightened self-defense would
11:57 am
apply to one part and not the other. the third part, if we will have this sort of deference, why stop at the second amendment at all? we can imagine the fourth amendment is probably the right the sheriff finds to be most annoying and interferes greatly with the police power that the sheriff can only exercise so much force. he may need to get a warrant. why not only respect the fourth amendment rights as people have a heightened need for privacy? >> that is an area in which danger plays a role. x essential circumstances come into play when danger is apparent and immediate. -- existential. your argument seems to suggest safety concerns are irrelevant and no sort of restriction is ok. is there any form of restriction that you would find in your view
11:58 am
constitutionally permissible? >> yes, your honor. it is not the argument that no restrictions can be targeted -- can be allowed. the only restriction we are targeting is on the very entitlement to exercise of fundamental right. there is no challenge in the case to any restriction the sheriff might place on time, place or manner if he wants to enact that. no sensitive -- place. there is no challenge to the training requirement. we can probably imagine other types of regulations that would pass the level of means and scrutiny to precisely based on danger rather than a regulation like this one, which is based on the right itself cannot be tolerated because the sheriff disagrees with the right. it is not a fourth amendment situation where there may be a circumstance where the sheriff may say we have a fleeing felon
11:59 am
and the evidence being destroyed and a ticking time bomb. would it be much simpler for the shirt to say as he does in this case, generally speaking overall this idea this idea people have the right to demand a reasonable search, that that simply has too high of a burden on public safety so i am only going to be concerned with the rights of people who i believe have a special need for the rights. that would not apply in this courtroom. we know it does not work in abortion cases, because this court decided isaacson sehorn. the state of arizona decided in its police power, and it has the power to regulate medical decisions on the shipley, it determined -- unquestionably am it determined the fetus can feel pain at 20 weeks and if balance the need to exercise abortion services on the need of medical the subsidy. this court said no.
12:00 pm
regardless of one might think about abortion, the fact is the right is recognized within the timeframe, and therefore, it is the woman's right to choose whether to have the procedure not the doctor right to determine it is medically necessary. >> >> since the case started there's been a change in circumstances for the open carry in california. is your suit premised on the change in the law or as you found it when your client wasn't allowed to concealed permit? >> if they have changed the theory has not. >> just a minute. it seems to me that if i am to apply the law that existed to the kerry that existed at the time in your client wasn't -- open carry that existed at the time in your client wasn't giving this concealed permit your client could have open

4 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on