Skip to main content

tv   Governor John Kasich R-OH Town Hall Meeting in New Hampshire  CSPAN  August 19, 2015 8:30pm-9:31pm EDT

8:30 pm
as long as we have a way to cure and treat these diseases and save lives that we can walk away from that. world needlessly. when we take on that fight, is to say that is why we have to protect the patent and the profitability of our pharmaceutical companies in this country. it is the american pharmaceutical companies, in the main, that taking the risks and invested the money to develop these treatments. that are possibly attacking those corporations and belittling them and yelling about their profit when they are the ones that take the risk and put billions of dollars into research and development. my deal with the american people would be this -- i am happy to invest and put our
8:31 pm
full share into those type of things and for other things as well to look to fight disease around the world if it helps to make a more peaceful and prosperous world as well, but, in return, what i want is, let's lower the heat on the pharmaceutical companies. let's be supportive. it doesn't mean everything that he was right because there is nobody in the world that everything they do is write. .o person, no corporation the reason this stuff was available to us is because they were really -- is because they were willing to take the risk. we can do this together and help the rest of the world. i think we should. and i believe that our party is the party that helped to lead that fight. if i am president i want to try to end that fight. thank you for bringing it up. right there. governor.ou, what would you do to bring honor
8:32 pm
back to the veterans of this country? as my first question. the second question is, how would you straighten out the va? gov. christie: first off, i will take it in reverse order. a --raighten out the the the va, we have to a knowledge publicly that we made a promise to veterans. that promise was, if you volunteer for service in our military, if you are drafted for put yourself in service of our country and put your life on the line, we promise you, in return, to care for your medical needs for the rest of your life. not if it was convenient, not our time schedule, but for the rest of our lives we will provide you with that service in return for your service. the first thing i would do is to
8:33 pm
fire those folks that have been responsible for the incompetent handling. president has only fired one person. there is a lot more people that deserve to lose their jobs over this. second, i would go around the country and look for the finest hospital executive that i could find in the country and ask that man or woman to come in volunteer some of their time to come back and be the new secretary of veterans affairs. become, in the main, is a provider of health care. when i get the very best hospital executive we can find a look at what we're doing in our va hospitals and other medical service providers, and get that person to come in and task them with the job of straightening out the system. third, because our veterans should not have to wait for that to happen, i would expand what is being done now. every veteran should be able to take his or her car and go to every health care provider -- his or her card and go to any
8:34 pm
health care provider in the country. hospitalsways need va because they provide specialized care, but you should be restricted to just the va hospital. in terms of bringing honor back to our veterans, not only is it about the way the president himself conducted himself in his interaction with veterans and conducted himself as commander-in-chief so americans feel proud of their service because of the commander in chief they have. let me tell you a couple things i have done in new jersey that are concrete to that people know about how much i care to make sure our veterans are treated the right way. about three years ago, we started a program called vets for warriors. this is a 24 hour a day, 70 week hotline for -- seven day a week hotline for veterans having mental health issues. it is run out of rutgers
8:35 pm
university and is run nationwide. phones. man those this is a partnership to the state of new jersey and the department of defense. spring, the department of defense illuminated the funding for this program. eliminated the funding for this program. this july, the funding -- the program is going to close. when i heard about this spring and i found that we could get money out of the federal government, i went to two leaders of the legislature, both democrats, and i said, we cannot let this program close. for $3.3llion, -- million, we can give health care to every veteran around the country -- to give this program to every veteran of the country. now, the program is still running.
8:36 pm
at the expense of the taxpayers of new jersey for the entire country. that is how strongly we feel about our veterans new jersey. secondly, since we are advocating this program, we decided to start a pilot program in new jersey without trauma care hospitals. we are giving $5 million from the state, they are matching with philanthropic money, and they are guaranteed for any that has been denied care at a va facility, if they come to one of these hospitals and presents himself and says id tried to get care, they guarantee that that vet will get care that day. we put our money where our mouth is when it comes to our vets. third and last example is that a lot of these bets who come home with drug or alcohol problems, mental health issues, and of
8:37 pm
hitting bottom and becoming homeless. in new jersey, we always have a homeless place for veterans. it is in the southern part of our state. when our largest psychiatric hospital is going to be closed in the northern part of the state and they suggested that we sell the hospital to a private facility. i decided no. what we did with that facility is that we open veteran haven north so that the veterans in the northern part of our state we have place to go, too. the upside to that is that most of them have drug and alcohol dependency problems. there is a private drug and alcohol did counseling -- drug and alcohol counseling facility on that property. we said, you can stay on the property as long as you promise providereturn to us, to drug and alcohol counseling to any of the homeless bets. vets. homeless they agreed and we now have a
8:38 pm
partnership where homeless veterans have a place to go, sleep, eat, and get mental health and drug and alcohol counseling to try and get themselves back on their feet. those of the things we're doing in new jersey to help vets. i'll take the same approach as president of the united states. my staff tells me i can take one more question which means i will take two. the reason for that is, i want to remind them that i'm still the boss. especially since you met springsteen before. >> thank you. i just want to preface this question by saying that in my 20 years of voting eligibility in this great country, you are the first candidate to really inspired not only myself, but my entire family to get out there and vote in the election of 2016.
8:39 pm
one issue that my whole family has been dealing with recently is the obamacare issue. i would love to know if you could speak a little bit about how you feel about it and how my things change if you were to be president. off,christie: first obamacare is a failure and needs to be repealed and replaced. we will start off with that. it is not enough just to say that. every republican will say obamacare is a failure, ok. that means you got the handbook. what you all have to be demanding a peer, and the rest of the country is counting then you too demanded -- you have to ask for more than that because you are the presidential wine tasters for the rest of this country, and especially now with 17 of us.
8:40 pm
first, you cannot have a program of washington dc that handles that large a piece of our .conomy in 50 different states it was bound for failure. i can or member with our first coming up for this thing and they want to open the basement -- wants to open the state exchanges. i was refusing to open the state exchange my state. i got a call from the white house and a set they would really like me to open this exchange. i said i wasn't going to. they said you should partner with the president on this and i said no. here's why. i said, you want me to start a program where i have no control over the rules and no sale the budget but all the responsibility for whether it is successful or not. there is no good executive in the world who would ever accept that deal.
8:41 pm
none. not a good one. you have no control over the rules, you have no control over the costs, and you have all of the responsibility. if it goes south, they're not going to call washington. if you have a bad exchange in new hampshire, you are calling the locals here. i think we need to do is to go to a completely state-based system. let's take our two states. new hampshire and new jersey are geographically, relatively the same size. you have 1.3 million people. they are spread out. there is a lie the southern part but there is also a good piece of the northern part. -- your problems are mostly access. let's take new jersey. we're about the same size. we have 8.9 million in about the same space.
8:42 pm
our problems for health care are not about access. you trip over a hospital in every four miles in new jersey, and we trip over each other in new jersey. our problem is cost. our access point is cost. why would we think that one program out of washington dc could fix those problems? the constitution of the united states said that anything that is not enumerated as a power for the federal government reverts to the states. i don't see health care in the constitution of the united states. make thelling to governors and legislatures each of these states responsible for coming up with a health care program that deals with access and cost in their state. not optional, they have to come up with a program. i might not necessarily like the
8:43 pm
program that your governor comes is, you but the fact have a republican legislature that can help to do some different things here. we trip over hospitals in new jersey, you guys trip over state reps. you have 400 of them. here's the good news. you can get to them. you can't get to these people in washington if you don't like obamacare. you can get to your state senators, get to your executive counselors, and get to the governor. you can't do that in washington dc. i believe each state should be tasked with the responsibility of coming up with a plan that works for their state. we have the most ethnically diverse stay in the country, the most densely populated state in the country. and represent a whole bunch of different health care challenges, so we need to have a plan.
8:44 pm
i trust the governors, republican or democrat, because they know that people in congress, are accountable to no one. poll that said 13% of the american people approve of the job congress is doing. the only thing i was surprised about is, who are those 13%? who are the people that are saying, i like that? you can get to the people here. i think that the government that is done most closely to the people is the government that is the most effective. should not be, we allowed the federal government to take over this. changet president has to it, but they have to change it by also addressing the health care needs of the american people. but our states do with the way should be done. that is the best way to bring change and opportunity.
8:45 pm
let's get this gentleman here for the last question. >> x for coming to new hampshire. i was wondering what your opinion is on h1 visas. electric laidd off their foreign staff. it's not helping jobs. gov. christie: here's the thing. we have an entire immigration system that doesn't emphasize quality, doesn't emphasize fairness, doesn't emphasize american citizens. we have a system that has totally run amok. our time,ost of unfortunately, talking about the border situation. the border situation is a problem and i have talked in detail about what i think we need to do to secure the
8:46 pm
southern border. that is not what your question is about. we spent a lot of time talking about that. it makes, i think, the american people seem smaller than we are. the fact is that we need to talk about the entire system and illegal immigration. -- and legal immigration. how can we make sure it is controlled in a way that benefits our country and the people of our country? we haven't even had that conversation. the argument talking about it. this is my 17th or 18th town hall meeting up. . here. you're the first one who is me about the visas. not only illegal folks coming up we also need to do
8:47 pm
something to make sure that the american worker is getting a fair shake. right now, people feeling the immigration system, no matter whether you are a high skilled person like yourself or a low skilled person, they all feel like they are being taken to the cleaners. it is broken and it is a mess. i think we need to be able to do is first, secure the southern border. people won't want to talk about the visa problem until we secure the border. we have to deal with the whole issue of legal immigration. it is extraordinary important, especially given this gentleman's question.
8:48 pm
a young kid out of college or a middle-aged guy like us or whoever you are in between. bealso don't want to ever seen as anti-immigrant. my grandfather was born on the boat between sicily and the united states. imagine that. that means that when my was havingfather trouble getting work in sicily and applied to come to united , my great-grandmother was nine months pregnant. and they got on the boat anyway. they were so hungry to come to the united states. i can't imagine my great-grandmother giving birth on that boat.
8:49 pm
mother would tease my grandfather and say you are nothing, not sicilian, not american, you were born in the ocean. my grandfather died when i was very young. one of my few memories of my grandfather's he would say, that's not true, i'm an american. they made me american when i got to ellis island. my grandfather was so proud of his mother and father and he made it. they worked out the bills. we'll want that part of our country's story -- we don't want that part of our country's history to be insecure.
8:50 pm
get educated, did the right things. that is the conversation we have to have. one of the things that bothers me right now is that there is too much heat and out of light -- and not enough light. your question is a great example. no one talks about that but it is really affecting you and others. >> i can -- i feel like i can't get a job. i read that senator rubio wants to triple the number. one other point? back to social security, how about getting congress to pay in? gov. christie: you are talking -- whoy who does the doesn't understand why congress has term limits and i do. somehow, the governor of new jersey, the president of the
8:51 pm
united states are dispensable but congress is not dispensable. state, i don't get pension members of my legislature do. i'm not asking for a pension but they should be getting on either. -- in 1994,to have all the rules that congress passes will apply to himself. we forgot about that. this is why people get so cynical about congress. you are right that that is exactly what should be happening in instead, they make special rules for themselves. we, as understand why american people, should put up with that. i think there should be term limits, 12 years for everybody in congress.
8:52 pm
if you can't get it done in 12 years, then go home. i have a guy my state legislature -- get ready for this. he has been in the state legislature for nearly 42 years. get out. you haven't done everything you want to do three times in 42 years, time to go. that is part of the problem that creates the issue you are talking about. i guarantee you it is something in the water in washington. i'm going to let new jersey water trucked into the white house. we need to have a congress that have a law that applies to them, need to be inthe touch with folks like you. >> thank you. gov. christie: five state
8:53 pm
troopers and this guy is helping me out here. here's the thing. the biggest thing is that congress loses touch. they lose touch with people and they don't know your story. part of the job of a governor or president who has the executive authority is to make sure -- and that is why did townhall meetings, because i want to stay in touch. i want real stories coming out about the theories you get pitched to you, but how these policies or lack of policies affect real people and their families. andre a first timer on that i didn't think out of going to get a first-time question tonight. first off, thank you for coming in the daylight and staying until it's dark. this is my first outdoor, in the dark townhall meeting in new hampshire. i hope it will not be my last.
8:54 pm
i want to and by saying -- i want to end by saying two things.first, to say thank you for being such an incredible example of the greatest democracy the world has ever known. this state reinvigorates my belief in the fact that we are getting it right and we can get it right if we work together to work with each other and we care enough about the future of our country to spend the time we need to spend to pick the right leaders. you are doing that and i appreciate it very much. thing, i think if you go to chris christie.com, you go to the website, read it again, you will go through all the specific plans. it is important for you to see it, because seven years ago, the majority of the american people floated for a bumper sticker. -- voted for a bumper sticker. hope and change.
8:55 pm
sounded like great words, but if human -- but if you knew hope and change meant the weakest think economic recovery -- the weakest economic recovery since world war ii, a nuclear iran, health-care system that was broken. if you knew that that was what hope and change meant, you would have been running for the hills. this time, i am challenging all of you. you had better figure out what the man or woman is offering themselves for the job is going to do when they get there. the only way were going to do that is to demand that they tell you now. that is why we're putting all that detail the website. we care deeply about insomniacs but it is not just to help them. it is also to make sure that you know, when i show up on january 20, 2017, you better know what i'm going to do. and then if you complain i can
8:56 pm
say, i told you. you voted for me, now i'm going to go do it. second thing is that i can't tell you everything that i'm going to do because we don't all everything that is going to come across my desk. the one thing we know for a president of the united states was that george w. bush thought he was going to be the education president. his first eight months he passed no child left behind and worked with the other side of the aisle to get education reform. all of a sudden, one morning he wakes up and he's reading to a group of schoolchildren in radical islamic terrorists fly airplanes into the world trade center and the pentagon and he became a wartime president and a president that was going to fight terror. he could have never told you what he would do to fight terror and you weren't asking him because you didn't know. how do you make this decision that? it can't just be the list of
8:57 pm
issues. it can't just be my record of governor because everyone has a record to look at. you have to know who we are. that is why this process is so important the way you do it in new hampshire. you have got a chance to know who we are more than anybody else in the country. father andf an irish a sicilian mother. i hear some grumbling. for those of you who grumble, you know what that means. that means i became expert at an early age at dispute resolution. place and mya loud parents were both very emotional people and were able to really put their feelings out there. my dad is now 82 years old. where are you, tim. c-span has, too.
8:58 pm
guy,ther, 82-year-old still is in new jersey, wonderful person. came with me to the debate in cleveland. was thrilled, is thrilled about all this. if he was here tonight he will be hugging all of you. is a big hugger. it will be telling you embarrassing stories about me when i was a kid. he is that kind of guy. my mother, on the other hand, was the driver in our house. i used to tell my father all the in the automobile of life he was the passenger. mom was judge, jury, and executioner. mom was the driver of the bus. was nogest rule suffering in silence. i think she put his rule into effect so she could use it. she was the one who used in the most.
8:59 pm
she used to say this all the time. if you have a problem, i need to know about it. if you're worried about something, i need to hear it. it said the greatest happening in your life, i want to celebrate with you. when we got older, after a while, it got a bit much. she will be on it all the time. she would say no, christopher, you need to hear this. you're going to hear it right now. that is the way i was raised we lost my mom 11 years ago. she was a dynamic person but she was a lifetime smoker. she smoked from the time she was 16 years old and by the time she 2004, she wasy of
9:00 pm
diagnosed with lung cancer. for anybody who is been through this, sometime cancer is very aggressive and for her it was. i was a united states attorney at the time. i was at the national conference and my younger brother called me and said, they put mom back in .he hospital they are saying, if you want to see her you need to come now. i got on the redeye flight that night. . got home the next morning i got to the room and they had started to give her morphine. you know that is the beginning of the end, they are just trying to make her comfortable. when i got there she was kind of in and out of things.
9:01 pm
she came to. she was like, what day is it? it is friday. it is 930 in the morning. she said, go to work. i'm not going to work today. she said, christopher, it is a workday. go to work. i said mom, what are you afraid of not getting your taxpayers money's worth? i decided to take the day off, i'm taking the day off. she said to me, christopher, go to work. it is where you belong and there is nothing left unsaid between us. other than the birth of our four children, it was the most powerful moment of my life, because my mother was giving me permission to let her go.
9:02 pm
what i thought at that moment, when i was sitting there, was that she was right. i hate to admit it, but she was right. the way she taught us to be our whole lives. every grievance had been aired, every problem had been talked about. most importantly, i knew that she loves me and i -- and she knew that i love her. there was nothing else left to say. so i got up, i kissed her on the forehead and i said ok mom, i'm going to work. and i left. that afternoon, she went into a coma, and three days later she died. it was literally last conversation i had. i had no regrets about it, not at all because she lived her life and taught me to live my for hera way that ended in the right way.
9:03 pm
as one of the most psychoanalyze politicians in america -- like when i said get the hell off the beach or sit down and shut up. you now know, it is her. it's her. you know now. she taught me to be that way. that if she were still alive today to see this, to see this circus that my life has become with the signs in the lights and the cameras, i know she would have lots to say. the first thing she would say was, so, you're running for president, mr. big shot. i changed your diapers, i know you are. don't get too big for me. my mother would want me to keep my head on my shoulders.
9:04 pm
as the person she raised me to be. the second and she would say to me is that if you are going to do this and asking people for their vote, this is the most precious they can give to anyone outside of their family. if you are going to ask them for that, you had better tell them everything. you had better tell the what you think and what you feel, what you are going to do and not going to do. in a trusting relationship, that is what we do. slogan isign and the a tribute to her. that is whatere you want me to be. i have to make sure that i keep faith with that. are things i know i can promise you. all the rest of them are ideas on a website. i need congress to help me and lots of other people and you will have to help me.
9:05 pm
here are four things that are always in my control that i promise you i will do. first, you will never have to wonder what i'm thinking. i'm going to tell you. second, you're never going to have to wonder what i'm feeling. i'm going to show you. you will never have to wonder what i am willing to fight for because i will fight for. fourth, you will never have to wonder how hard i'm willing to fight for it because you will be able to see it with your own two eyes. beyond that, all i can tell you is i will try my best, the same way i tried my best as governor and a trip -- governor of new jersey, attorney in new jersey, as a husband and father. that's why and because that is the person my mother made me. all of us have all kinds of things that influence our lives
9:06 pm
but in the end, we can't kid ourselves. the two most important people in our lives are mother and our father. we have to get back to respecting that in america and acknowledging it and living that because the strength in the core of our country comes from god and our families. can respect god and our families first, i think a lot of these other problems will fix themselves. we're ready to win this election. thanks for coming tonight. [applause] ♪
9:07 pm
>> on sicilian, too. not a lot of: holding back in those families.
9:08 pm
thank you for your question, too.
9:09 pm
that is the same side as our town. >> he did a great job. -- you did a great job. thank you for coming.
9:10 pm
to be back. happy to be here.
9:11 pm
how are you? coming/e her much for -- thank you very much for coming.
9:12 pm
>> it was also. -- it was awesome. >> you did a great job tonight.
9:13 pm
>> good luck. you.ry nice to meet these are my children. gov. christie: thank you for coming in spending your time tonight. >> they both watched the debate on tv. i was wondering if i could get a picture. >> i really like what you said about your mom. i might try to use that with my kids.
9:14 pm
gov. christie: great to meet you both. thank you all for spending the time tonight. >> i want to see you in a debate with hillary. she don't want to see me on the other side of that stage, i guarantee. >> i'm a giants fan. work through it. my father has been able to.
9:15 pm
>> i am a social work student, so we sit in class and talk about social security and how it is great and everything. thank you so much.
9:16 pm
>> we are yankees fans up here in red sox nation. gov. christie: feeling good.
9:17 pm
>> governor, welcome to new hampshire. gov. christie: i'll be back up monday. any question you have, i am happy to answer. >> appreciate the time. coming. you for i would love to have you in for dinner when you're up.
9:18 pm
>> i have never voted for somebody for president that i haven't met. gov. christie: don't start now.
9:19 pm
thank you so much for coming. >> i am a registered democrat but i love your message. ,ou are sincere, knowledgeable and it is actually fun to listen to you speak. i like i you addressed the question i was going to ask about congressional term limits. the careert politicians in washington make every issue about getting reelected instead of what the people really want. gov. christie: i am totally for it and i just don't understand why they think they are indispensable. if we get rid of the president after eight years, there is no reason they should stay longer than 12. they should be able to get it done with that.
9:20 pm
>> i think eight years would be reasonable. gov. christie: so do i, by the way. the reason i picked 12 is that it is divisible by both sides. that way everybody has the same rules. i think it hurts our country. it was designed to be a citizen legislature where you serve for a period of time and go back home. >> i agree. gov. christie: thanks for taking the time to listen and hang around afterwards.
9:21 pm
how are we doing, brother? >> what a great setting. i think i got a few bug bites. gov. christie: the long sleeves help. >> keep working hard until then.
9:22 pm
gov. christie: i remind him of that. i texted him today and said, you are such a showoff.
9:23 pm
9:24 pm
>> is going to be a good weekend. >> i'm the boss, i guess. >> we want to get one more photo. gov. christie: sure.
9:25 pm
>> everybody ranted and raved about the education. gov. christie: i think the priority is to change what is going on. a thing that you will have a .uch more divisive argument >> so you are on the same wavelength as governor kasich, who said in the 1990's we were
9:26 pm
going to kill the department of education. every thought we were saying we were going to kill education. how about we call it, we're going to decentralize the federal department of education and 50 directions. -- in 50 directions. gov. christie: if you are a governor, they are in our pockets and in our curriculum. the benefit that we get will far outweigh anything else. >> collet decentralization. gov. christie: how about going after the actual issue and not for the symbolism. in education, you need to get into the substance.
9:27 pm
>> here is an argument. very simple. running,s run k-12, finance it. states run higher education. you have people in washington with no operational experience telling people who have operational experience what to do. gov. christie: we will have secretary clinton saying that that that means he doesn't care education. i am concerned about getting the .ob done
9:28 pm
>> republican governor chris christie live at molly's tavern and pop in new hampshire for a town hall meeting. as part ofin iowa our coverage for presidential candidates for the state fair. the presidential candidate will take to the des moines register soapbox stage live at noon eastern on saturday. more coverage from the iowa state fair this week on c-span. friday at :00 a.m. eastern is public and senator ted cruz of texas on the "des moines register" soapbox. on saturday, louisiana governor soapbox.dal on the that is at 1:00 eastern time on saturday here on c-span. coming up on c-span, former texas governor rick perry speaks
9:29 pm
at the iowa state fair. then, a discussion on the first 10 years of the supreme court under chief justice john roberts . later, another chance to see new jersey governor chris christie's town hall meeting. next, republican presidential candidate rick perry speaks at the iowa state fair in des moines. the former texas governor focuses his remarks on education , transportation infrastructure, and increasing state powers. speaks to reporters and attendees of the fair.
9:30 pm
>> ok. i am carol hunter, news director at "des moines register." our speaker today is the former governor of texas, rick perry, seeking the republican nomination or the presidency. governor perry was elected to office in the house of texas. he was then elected agriculture commissioner and served as lieutenant governor. he then served 14 years as governor of texas, retiring this past january as the state's longest-serving chief executive. he ran for president in the 2012 cycle. this will be his third time grazing the stage of the "register" soapbox.

66 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on