Skip to main content

tv   Key Capitol Hill Hearings  CSPAN  October 9, 2015 7:00pm-9:01pm EDT

7:00 pm
theater, fourth row is the best. but you know, they went out and they do this thing on television and i'm saying i can't understand it. and my daughter says every single polling organization says you won. but i think on the cnn debate, it was two hours. now they were -- no. no. no. it was two hours and made don't ruin my story. [laughter] mr. trump: it was a two-hour debate. two days before, what happened andt was in "variety" "hollywood reporter" -- i like them. they did a story. they took it from fox and cnn,
7:01 pm
30-second0 for a 32nd ad -- a 4000% increase. he is really perking up now. that is your language, right? toy went from $4000 $200,000. i get there and i did not know this because all my people did not tell me. they said it was a three-hour debate. the room -- the reagan library, a nice place -- it was pretty hot. i did not care. we had a couple of people on stage that were melting. [laughter] mr. trump: it was good for them. they went home and lost 10 pounds. [laughter] mr. trump: they go out and i get there. i hear it is a three-hour
7:02 pm
debate. i don't stand for three hours. i'll have a problem. who wants to watch a three-hour debate, right? they did it just to make money. mine, thequestion was fourth question was to -- mr. trump said you are a horrible human being. is that true? [laughter] mr. trump: mr. trump does not like your face. what do you say? well, the world will watch. and then they say, she debated so brilliantly. give me a break. the entire thing, the entire thing was either question to me or a question to the other candidates having to do with me. i think they cannot specifically 48%. in the third hour, and got to be too obvious because i am a ratings machine. they got to be too obvious. for 28 minutes, they do not ask
7:03 pm
me a question. he did not do well in the final hour. they did not ask me any questions, ok? it is so dishonest. we have fun with this, but i have fun what i am doing. we are making an impact like a never thought possible. [applause] they have seen great dishonesty in other ways. always thought real estate guys are tough. ness. so i get a call from club for growth. i've never heard of it but my people said club for growth, what is that? they are growing the wallets in their pockets. club for growth supposedly
7:04 pm
conservative. a guy wants to see me so he comes to my office and we have a perfect nice talk and he's telling me about club for growth which is nice. he then sends me a letter and asked me if i would make a 1 million-dollar contribution. think of it. i said 1 million? i'm rich but i'm not stupid. a million dollars. so he wants a million dollars and a letter. he stupid enough to put it in a letter. how many in the broom would say he was in my office for a half an hour give him a million bucks. i can't do that. what happened was we say politely no and all of a sudden it comes out in the news conference. i'm not a conservative and i'm not as some i'm not that. i believe in eminent domain which i don't believe in. sometimes we have to use it. every once in a while you have to build a road.
7:05 pm
i don't love it but sometimes you need it. you wouldn't have any roads. sometimes you need it. the good news was that had no impact. the pictures were so beautiful. i was 20 years younger. i look so handsome. i never knew i was that good looking. i looked so good. so they spent a million dollars on advertising. that shows you how dishonest politicians are. people came in, club for growth does have a news conference. they absolutely invested in and they also said he raised taxes. i cannot with a tax bill lowering far more than anybody else. [applause] in fact, so much so "the wall street journal" which was bought
7:06 pm
for $5 billion and is now worth $500 million but they will criticize me. they did an editorial. now you tell me. you buy something for 5 million and it's now worth 500 million and maybe a couple of bucks more and then they write this nasty editorial. can you believe that? so i get criticized but one of the things i'm criticized for is my tax break is too big. what i'm doing is taking care of -- because frankly we have lost the middle class. then they give you that editorial and here's the good news. i have never heard one person say that was bad. i get these editorials and they say that's devastating but they
7:07 pm
criticize me also. it has to be a personal dislike but the amount of the tax reduction is massive and it's going to put people to working people are going to be energized. the middle west is going to come back. [applause] i put them in the same category because people have forgotten about the middle class in this country. middle him -- middle income people is with out the country. you know who they have forgotten about that time, maybe even worse? the veterans. they have forgotten the vet -- they have forgotten the veterans. they have totally forgotten the veterans. and i will tell you what, if i get elected, i'm running against against -- do you know what the
7:08 pm
power is? i have to knock on wood but so far when people attack me they get. they go down. it's true. so i get attacked by rick perry governor of texas. he attacks me viciously. he was a friend of mine. i got along with them great. i'm leaving practically from the time i got in. i think it's over three months. they said michele bachmann. she lived for a week and they said herman cain, he lived for a week. i've been here three months. that's a long time. stand up, stand up and say it. do we love this guy? >> love him. [applause]
7:09 pm
but if i win -- i like that t. again you know what? aoa city people how do you react? pressure is very interesting because i've seen people that are really smart and that don't make it. they put on forest pressure on themselves. am i right? i got a call from one of the biggest reporters who i have respect for but one of the biggest. i don't know him. from a major newspaper. his name art our day mentioned he said to me could i ask you one question? how does it field? he said you've done something that nobody else has ever done. i think i'm on 14 covers.
7:10 pm
i'm on more covers than any supermodel in history. can you believe that? by the way "people" magazine, i didn't love the picture. they did something with my nose. it's true. i love "people" magazine. they screwed around and i said just leave me alone. but milani looked good, ivanka looks good payday might take the picture i don't know. come here, come here. [applause]
7:11 pm
where you from? >> i am from columbia. >> is this a set that? did i ever meet you before? >> we vote for mr. trump. mr. trump, we love you. we love you. [applause] >> i swear to you, i think she is totally beautiful. i never met her before, i swear. this all started with the "people" magazine. a nice story, right? couldn't be nicer but i don't know what happened. so i'm looking and you tell me. i have a wart on the end of my nose.
7:12 pm
terrible. but that's okay. i've always wanted to look like kerry grant but anyway you are beautiful. [applause] [applause] >> you are beautiful. >> thank you mr. trump. [applause] that's so great. never met her before. she's amazing. she is amazing. thank you, appreciate it very that's my relationship.
7:13 pm
they did the polls in nevada and nobody believes it but that's my relationship. new york we have a hispanic station and the emcee of the station, i don't know him and he's talking about trump. how bad is trump? they love them, all hispanics they loved trump because they know i'm going to do the right thing. i love the hispanic people. they know i'm going to do what's right. [applause] a couple more things. i want just to talk about -- so we have the 2nd amendment and they want to take your guns away. [booing] we can't let it happen. the press wants me to put policies together because they say we agree he's leading in the polls but he can't go much longer because he doesn't put policy favors up.
7:14 pm
i guarantee mine is much higher than any of these people. [applause] by unical is one of the great professors. i put policy out on tax and i put policy on immigration and the 2nd amendment which is basic we you are allowed to protect yourself, okay wax. [applause] and they said don't you think it's important to start talking about policy. it's not important to the people because they know i'm going to do the right thing. they know my stand but now i'm keeping the press happy. in the end it's all that simple. i will say this. i love being here with you.
7:15 pm
i loved my trip to iowa and i was in new hampshire and south carolina. somebody said -- i'm doing a business but i'm giving it to my kids and my great executives. i can be doing this all the time i have to to because we want to win. we want to win. i don't want to focus on the deals. what's important to me and i just saved over the past couple weeks. one of the networks today said i could trademark the expression make america great.
7:16 pm
who would think of it? i had a couple of candidates. i had a couple of candidates. aye and go and they say make america great again so they started using it but the responses are the same. they don't believe in politicians. i was going to tell you before where these guys that came out were friends of mine but then they cannot viciously against me. walker was a friend of mine. i get a lot of flak. i use them to put pictures of my family n.. but he came up and he gave me a plaque and he thanked me very much and he was so nice. one of his guys came out and he
7:17 pm
said bad things about me. chop his dad. he's a bad guy. i said oh thank you. he was supposed to win. he was favored to win. i gave the real numbers. in one paragraph that said big deficits schools are in trouble and votes are in trouble. i didn't know this. i thought it was all good. so i'm standing in iowa and he got wiped out and then he left and when he left he said everybody has to leave. one person to take on trump, we have got to be trumpeted as want to do the right thing. [applause] no, think of it. then we have lindsey graham. [booing] he was always nice.
7:18 pm
he called me because he wanted a reference or something and then he wanted campaign contributions and it left me his number. he gave me his cell number and this was three years ago. it's true. i found it. i have a whole pile of junk. that's stuff that will never be used again. i had a news conference and i held up his number. they said read it out and i ratted out. he was a nice guy and he wanted contributions and that was fine. i had a previous life. mine nonpolitician and my politician. i gave him a hard time. i don't start these things. everyone says these mean.
7:19 pm
hit me with that beautiful red hair. look at that beautiful hair. i wish i had that hair. it looks good. [applause] said he hit me really hard. i'm in my 20s and 30s and the hits the hell out of me. he was a nice guy, what happened? he said i will never leave. why not? just leave, it's not working. then they have the polls in south carolina. i met 29 or 32 or something like that. he's at 20, so something is wrong. he's probably not going to run for office again. i think these guys have been mortally wounded. and then we have rand paul. [booing] he was expected to win and then he goes around for the last
7:20 pm
debate in these telling everybody i'm going to attack trump. he's not a true conservative. e what i like his ideas. [applause] i am a conservative guy. and these are vicious guys. just take it easy. he said news conferences telling everybody what a bad guy a.m.. he is another one that is expected to win. i have great respect for the people of kentucky. i love that state and i love the people but what are they second-class citizens? take your place. i think it's unfair for the people of kentucky. how do you do that? so he starts getting really vicious. every time i see him, i won't
7:21 pm
even say it. then he said i would get him in the debate. am i right? asus right? i'm going to get him in the debate. i'm going to go after him. he's not going to have a chance. i'm going to do numbers on them that are unbelievable. the first question i attack him. after that he was perfectly nice. he backed me up twice. so this is a crazy thing. jeb bush is doing great. he is a nice guy but he was doing great. when i think of the president i think you need somebody with tremendous drive and energy and up here. [applause] i didn't see the fire in jeb. stand up. what was the expression?
7:22 pm
low energy he said. sometimes she will say something about somebody. sometimes like i called rubio a lightweight. water, yeah water. remember the response on live television in the present state of the union speech? they said be careful because he's a young rising star and is talking in a sweating. i'm watching saying is he going to be okay? and he's sweating and to keep sweating and the waters pouring down all over. i said was that live television? but i called him a lightweight. he may be a nice guy. i really don't know him but he attacked me viciously and booked booked -- bush attacked me viciously.
7:23 pm
it wasn't all that vicious that vicious is a nice person. i said he's a low energy individual and somehow that one-stop. i don't know if lightweight is going to stick with rubio. then i attacked carly's record because her record running a business was a disaster. she was named to the ceo hall of fame as one of the worst in the country. but she's got that good patter patter like a machine gun. i said if you listen for 10 minutes you get a headache. [applause] you get a headache. the press loves her. i am at 29 and she says six and here's the headline. carly is surging. i mean honestly she is surging. then said something very nasty.
7:24 pm
i like him. he said something really nasty about my face. i'm a religious person. can you believe i'm protestant? i was all set to go after him and then he took it back. i can't do that. he took it back. i was all set. i was disappointed that he took it back. i didn't want them to take it back. i didn't wanted to take it back. and i couldn't do it because he stood up and he said no the press talked me into saying something that i didn't mean and i'm taking it back and i said that's really cool. [applause] why do you say something bad about me please? yesterday i stuck up for him because the press killed him. the press was saying he made a statement essentially there were some maniac over there shooting people.
7:25 pm
they said that's terrible and that's disrespectful to the people. i didn't see it that way and i said i think he was treated unfairly by the press. it became a big story. actually stuck up for him. it's the first time i've ever done that. i don't do that. [applause] so i just want to tell you we are going to bring jobs back to this country. [applause] we are going to have caro icon one of the greatest businesspeople of all times. we are going to have phil. we are going to have the smartest the best negotiators in the world and i know most of them and believe me i know people you have never heard of that are better than the ones you have heard of. i turned down millions, i feel so foolish.
7:26 pm
one guy wants to give $5 million. he wants to give a fortune. i don't want it. i feel like a jerk. i said no. and i go like this. i was in iowa and i asked a question. supposing, i'm so funding my campaign other than the tiny ones. we had a woman $7.59. how can you send that money back? first of all it cost you costs you more money to send it back. it's cute, it's beautiful. they feel invested in your campaign. if you wrote a letter saying i'm sorry i don't want your money, it's nasty. i don't want the big money. so i turned them down and it's so different from what i really am. i was in iowa and we had a packed house. they said i don't feel good
7:27 pm
about turning these people down. i said i feel like a schmuck. how many jewish people in this room? am i right? i feel like what am i doing? i'm turning down millions of dollars and i said okay look how about if i take the money but i swear to you i won't do anything and you know what they did? do you stood up and they went crazy. they hated it. i said i promise you and here's the thing, let me take millions of dollars from these people. i will not do them any favors. i will go out of my way not to do them favors and everyone stood up and said one thing, don't do it. if i lose i was stupid. i don't think i get enough credit for cell funding.
7:28 pm
i get so much publicity. i feel crazy but put in an advertisement. what do i need for? at "cnn" they say all trump all the time and then you put an ad in. they say i can't take it anymore. so it's zerocome and you will see than the filings. i don't know if i get credit because of cell funding. do people know that i'm self-funded? [applause] so we are going to bring back our jobs. this last trade deal is a disaster. by the way hillary came out saying the same thing i've been saying for five months. i took a commercial saying the trade deal with no good. it's no good. 11 countries that are ripping up united states and taking our jobs.
7:29 pm
china is going to come in the backdoor and make a great deal with us. they always make a great deal with us. we are led by very stupid people. so hillary came out against it. obama wanted it. hillary came out against the president. be careful hillary, you may be indicted. be careful. [applause] that's very dangerous for her to do. i give her credit but the reason she did if she thinks someday she's going to be debating me. i our day have the pipeline, which i love. whether it's good better and different it's not going to hurt anybody. it's not going to have an impact she changed her mind yesterday. you saw that. i'm telling you obama is angry at her. this could be the end of e-mail.
7:30 pm
this could finally be the end. she's going to end up like general petraeus, seriously. this could be the beginning of the end but i want to run against her. i really do. i want to run against her. i don't want to run against bernie. that's too easy, right? some people say communists and some people say socialist. i've always wanted to run against a socialist/communist. in this country i don't think it plays but we are going to take our jobs back. we are going to make our military so strong, so powerful that nobody is going to mess with us and we will not have to use it in my opinion. nobody is going to mess with us. [applause] but.
7:31 pm
[applause] [applause] as part of that we are going to make our vets the cherished people that they should be. there are very special, special people. or wounded warriors, our vets are going to be taken care of properly. we wouldn't be here for wasn't for them. [applause] we are going to come up with a health care program that's going to be unbelievable. if your premiums will not be racing 55% like you're doing now. we are going to terminate obamacare.
7:32 pm
we are going to come up with a plan that sub good that everybody is going to be taking care of but we are going to come up with a plan that works. [applause] so just remember the look in neighboring look at the people you are sitting next to because this is more than just a group of people listening to a speech. if you came here to listen to other candidates he would have 10 rouson front and you'd have an isil chat and everyone would say boys have warning. this is a movement. [applause] this is a movement. this is a movement to take our country back. this is a movement to take our country back. it's like this everywhere. i'd like to say you treated me so nicely but the truth is it's like this everywhere i go. there is a movement on in this country to take our country back. they used to use the term silent
7:33 pm
majority. it wasn't politically correct to use it because i think it had to do with nixon. nobody really knows but whatever. there is no more descriptive term and i'm bringing back the silent majority. before a type of silent majority have realized that i brought it back a couple months ago and i was in front of a group from south carolina that was going absolutely wild. i set the silent majority and i realize it doesn't work anymore. it's the loud noisy incredible majority. that's what it is. [applause] we are tired of being pushed around. we are tired of being led by stupid people. [applause] we are tired of having our negotiators give iran $150 billion. 24 day inspection periods, self
7:34 pm
inspection. we don't get our prisoners back. we are tired of having them approach us two days ago and saying we should have had our prisoners back. saying we want to give your three prisoners that we want 19 people from you and they want many other things and that should have been included in the deal. they are tired of it. we are tired of surgeon bergdahl who is a traitor. [applause] he's a traitor, a no good traitor. should have been executed. the. [applause] we get surgeon bergdahl and they get five of the biggest killers that they wanted more than any people, more than any people for years they been trying to get these five killers and they are back on the battlefield and we got bergdahl. yesterday i heard he probably won't serve any time. 30 years ago he would have been
7:35 pm
shot and people are tired of it. so just remember this day because things are happening. if at all happens, and i think it might very well, we are going to make this country great again , greater than ever before and it's going to be something special. thank you very much. thank you everybody. thank you. ♪ ♪ thank you everybody. ♪ ♪
7:36 pm
♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪
7:37 pm
♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ nun. ♪ ♪
7:38 pm
>> we will hear from another 2016 republican presidential candidate tonight. ben carson discusses the importance of the constitution. he has a new book out. you can see dr. carson's comments tonight at 8:00 eastern on c-span. our road to the white house coverage of the presidential candidates continues from new hampshire monday morning at 10 a.m. eastern . live coverage from manchester. speakers include eight republican and democratic presidential candidates talking on the issues of uniting the country, jobs creation, securing social security and medicare, and making america energy secure. on tuesday afternoon at 12:30 p.m., we are live with john kasich as he speaks at a town hall meeting. on wednesday, live at 7 a.m. -- 7 p.m. eastern, jeb bush will
7:39 pm
speak at a town hall meeting. 2016 takingpaign you on the road to the white house on c-span, c-span radio and c-span.org. >> every weekend, the c-span networks features programs on politics, and american history. saturday morning at 10:00, marking the 20th anniversary of the million man march, live coverage at the national mall with keynote speaker. p.m., evening at 6:30 retired neurosurgeon and gop presidential candidate ben carson discusses his new book which he wrote with this wife. on monday at 10 a.m., we are live from new hampshire for the coverage of the problem solver convention in new hampshire which includes a presidential candidates. p.m.,k tv saturday at 1
7:40 pm
coverage of the 10th annual brooklyn book festival features authors such as julianne reid. the history of corruption in america. and why the middle east needs essential revolution. coming up at 9:00 on sunday night, former meet the press host and nbc white house correspondent david gregory on his current book about faith and religion. the interview by sally quinn. on american history tv on c-span3 saturday night at 8:00, san diego state university onfessor elizabeth thomes alexander hamilton and his belief on a strong central government. sunday afternoon at 4:00 on real america, in 1982 u.s. information agency film on the first three years of the soviet union's war in afghanistan and alleged war crimes, including
7:41 pm
the bombing of possible's. get the complete weekend schedule at c-span.org. >> the house today approved a bill that will allow the export of crude oil produced in the u.s. by lifting the ban enacted in 1975. the vote was 261-159. also today, representative waters became the 218th member to sign a discharge petition that would bring the measure of reauthorizing the import-export bank on october 26. off the floor, the focus remained on who will be the next house speaker after kevin mccarthy suddenly dropped out of the race yesterday. in a closed-door republican meeting this morning, the hill and louiem rice gohmert's stood up and confronted and outgoing speaker
7:42 pm
john boehner about his decision to postpone the election for speaker. john boehner planned to resign october 30 but told members this morning he would stay on as speaker until the conference can unify around a successor. so far, republicans say paul ryan is the only person who can bring the warring factions of the gop together, but he has repeatedly said he is not interested. john boehnerohn -- pau and paul ryan leaving the meeting this morning. >> you want them to decide. >> mr. speaker.
7:43 pm
>> are you going to run? reportsew york times outgoing speaker boehner and kevin mccarthy you drop that have been trying to control -- yet congressman ryan into running and leaving the basement of the capital say they believe mr. ryan was softening his position even though paul ryan has repeatedly said he does not want the job. next, we will hear from representative mccarthy and other members leaving the gop meeting this morning. >> can you tell me what you were saying?
7:44 pm
sir.e, mr. mccarthy: we are working together, trying to work together. i know a lot of speculation about who is running. paul is looking at it but it is his decision. if he decides to do it, he would be an amazing speaker but he has to decide on his own. >> you said the party needs to hit rock-bottom. what do you mean by that? mr. mccarthy: you heard it here. >> what this cautions are going on? >> all kinds of discussions. i'm not saying -- issues like the two thirds vote. all sorts of issues like that. those of the kinds of ideas being discussed.
7:45 pm
>> is there anybody else viable? rep. dent: i don't want to speak for other members. paul ryan is bringing a lot of folks together. the bigger challenge is not who is in the speaker chair, it is changing the underlying political dynamic. and matter who we put in the chair, yes to change the political dynamic. change theo political dynamic. >> you are not sure paul ryan can change the dynamic? rep. dent: again, paul is highly respected. i think he is a very smart guy. can the speaker strategize with dealing with this? is that the john boehner method of containing everything? working with democrats?
7:46 pm
how do you see the choices ahead to manage this? rep. dent: as far as i am agreement the budget -- we have to have a bipartisan coalition. cr. is how we did the violence against women act -- on -- the appropriations committee. that has been the formula. on aing the process and a resolution which will be the bipartisan coalition. >> how can he get nominated? rep. dent: it is a conundrum. -- we needum is this to have a bipartisan coalition.
7:47 pm
make the speaker -- >> do you think we will have a new speaker the end of the month? >> paul ryan is now thinking about it. rep. dent: you have to talk to him. i cannot speak for him. i don't think so. >> did anyone stand up and look him in the eye? think would have worth or twoweak wort week weeks worth of discussion? rep. dent: i number of people are thinking about it. clear the room.
7:48 pm
>> mr. ryan has discussed the conference. break and: during the try to figure out what we need to do to get the country moving. not.ld hope integrity creates so much trouble. i don't think so, to be honest with you. >> did he say roughly when? rep. jones: he has not. >> what about the affair with senator mccarthy. rep. jones: the decision to interpreted that way is something that i think is important to the american people. anybody in leadership, male or female, a man of woman of integrity. that is nothing personal about anybody. >> that is kind of an
7:49 pm
assumption. it has an active effect. rep. jones: it was total chaos year. i don't see that happening again. >> were members urging paul ryan to run? rep. jones: there was nothing about the next speaker or anything. it is not taking this in a slow way and see if we can find common ground and things we need to work on. rules and things like that. we have to elect a new speaker. i would think so. no, i think we need to -- [indiscernible] rep. jones: thank you. >> there are still two
7:50 pm
candidates in the race for house speaker -- jason chaffetz and daniel webster of florida. dhe tampa bay times has an op-e written by david jolly on why he supports on congressman webster. he says we share a vision of a house capable of order. we spoke about house that finally did the people's work again, i house that gave every member from the most junior to the most senior a seat at the table. part of an op-ed by congressman jolly. here are speaker candidates webster, chaffetz and trey gowdy who says he is not interested in being speaker. >> mr. webster, if paul ryan were to run -- rep. webster: i am not challenging him, on challenging the process. will run the florida
7:51 pm
matter if paul ryan runs are or not. >> you will be a candidate on the floor? rep. webster: i was running in the conference. there will be a date set. >> if you don't get the nomination, will you step aside? rep. webster: i'm just running on the conference. >> the eventual nominee? [indiscernible] we have one now, speaker boehner. spoken to paul ryan? rep. webster: i have not. i just said i was focused on one thing. in my the right choice? >> why? rep. webster: like i said
7:52 pm
before, we have a system where people in power make all the decisions. push down the pyramid of power. done, that's it. i'm now running against anybody. i'm not running against a personality. i'm just running for that set of principles. we have members in congress. >> do you think paul ryan can be the speaker? >> let him go. >> do you think it was appropriate to delay the election? rep. webster: it was necessary. i do. >> to you think -- rep. webster: no.
7:53 pm
>> [indiscernible] rep. webster: i think it will be done. repugnant.ly one of the speaker candidates morally repugnant -- would you expand? rep. webster: i don't know. >> morally repugnant. or. webster: candidates personalities -- one thing, that is centrally driven. [indiscernible] >> goodbye.
7:54 pm
>> get it right. rep. chaffetz: members will go home and visit with her constituents. i think we will have additional candidates and greater competition. in the house of representatives. we will actively be campaigning. >> --challenger. rep. chaffetz: i am putting myself out there. step forward and do it. i'm sorry? >> are you frustrated they cut off the election? rep. chaffetz: i think the
7:55 pm
speaker made the right decision. the speaker can postpone it. an interimut having speaker of some sort? >> a retreat of the house conference -- supportffetz: i would and love to be speaker. a drumbeat in consistency in saying you will not do it. he would be the kind of person i would get excited about. part of the reason i got in the race is because paul ryan was stepping up to do it. >> would you drop out? rep. chaffetz: i would support the nominee. no. i would not run against paul ryan. if paul ryan gets in the race, i'm a huge fan of paul ryan. i would support paul ryan.
7:56 pm
i hope he would do it. yes consistently said he would -- he has consistently said he would not. maybe his approach changes, but he is certainly, in my mind, the most qualified person to do it. no, i have not seen it. >> does speaker boehner still expect to step down by the end of the month? rep. chaffetz: the speaker was clear he wanted to get through this process by the end of the month. i have to keep going. i'm glad you will come to it. it will be great. >> move. >> right side, please. >> thank you. >> you will go somewhere and talk about this. rep. chaffetz: i did not hear that today. >> thank you.
7:57 pm
>> what was the notion from paul ryan today? >> i wouldn't. what was in the note? friendwdy: he is a good and i respect him. --if he were to get in rep. gowdy: 100%. >> what is the pressure on you? rep. gowdy: i will be late for a meeting with elijah cummings and i don't want to be. >> what will it take to get paul ryan to accept? is it just about his wife and family? rep. gowdy: come on, man. that is pretty important, is n't it? that is the most important thing in the world. >> what is next?
7:58 pm
>> any idea how one that might be?hen that might >> do you want the job? rep. gowdy: no. >> does anybody? rep. gowdy: we will find out. i think paul can get everybody. >> talking about paul ryan -- >> he could potentially be a candidate. does it look like anybody would support him in the conference? rep. gowdy: you would have to ask him yourself. any idea? boehner -- to go out by the end of the month. rep. gowdy: i don't know if he set a new date. see you. > when john boehner steps down writes heh, politico
7:59 pm
will leave behind a deeply divided house republican caucus, conservative but cognizant of its responsibility to legislate, govern and compromise and a growing tea party way that wants to burn the house down. en the sharp assessment of th chair of the republican study committee. it would not be the first time the congress raised the deadlock over a leadership election. in 1855, a fractured house of representatives took almost two months to choose a new speaker. read more at politico.com. our road to the white house coverage of the presidential candidates continued from new hampshire monday morning at 10:00 eastern. live coverage from the no labels problem solvers convention in new hampshire. speakers include eight republican and democratic presidential candidates speaking
8:00 pm
about uniting the country, jobs creation, creating social security and medicare and making america energy secure. on tuesday afternoon at 12:30 p.m., we are live with john kasich as he speaks at a town hall meeting in new hampshire. on wednesday, live at seven p.m. eastern, jeb bush will speak at a town hall meeting. 2016 takingpaign you on the road to the white house on c-span, c-span >> tonight, on c-span, republican presidential candidate ben carson beset the national press club. the u.s. house debates lifting the ban on crude oil exports. house democrats talk about an effort to realize the export import bank and house republicans meet to discuss who will replace john boehner as house speaker.
8:01 pm
candidate then carson talked about constitutional rights at the national press club. the candidate has a new book out about the constitution in title "a more perfect union." this is an hour. mr. hughes: good afternoon and welcome. my name is john hughes. for bloomberg. and i am president of the national press club. [applause] mr. hughes: thank you. our guest today is republican presidential candidate and narrow surgeon, dr. ben carson. he will discuss his newest book, one he wrote with his wife candy. it is entitled "a more perfect union: what we the people can do to reclaim our constitutional liberties." first i would like
8:02 pm
to introduce our distinguished head table. right, josephnces morton. he is the washington correspondent for the omaha world herald. he is the membership secretary of the national press club. a reporter for the gray sheet. ofnifer laszlo, president respectability usa. benji saarland is political reporter for msnbc. candy carson, she is the wife of our speaker. [applause] thomas burr. he is the washington correspondent for the salt lake tribune and he is the vice president of the national press club. is a george washington university professor and former
8:03 pm
president of the national press club. he is thenette, managing editor of the washington post. benedetti -- dobe medoto. the correspondent for the kuwait news agency and the director of strategic communications for the data quality campaign. [applause] i also want to welcome our other ourts in the room today and c-span and public radio audiences. audienceswelcome our watching a live stream on our website, press.org. you can also follow the action on twitter. use the hashtag, #npclive.
8:04 pm
well, our speaker today has never served in congress, or as the governor of a state. anyn any elected office of kind. he did tell me he was elected -- and that gets applause. he did tell me he was elected to board.l -- yale this is one of the reasons that dr. ben carson supporters say they want him to be the next president. he is not part of the washington establishment that so many fault for gridlock and ineffectiveness. so far, on the campaign trail, he has separated himself from better funded candidates with the political experience that he lacks. recent polling has dr. carson running second nationally for the gop nomination, behind carly trump and a head of
8:05 pm
fiorina. in campaigning, he has shown his a sharp opposition to obamacare, his support in the second amendment, his concern about the federal debt and his goal to stop abortion. he also says all options must be on the table when confronting russia's vladimir putin. his life story has become familiar to many. he grew up poor in detroit with a single mother and excelled in school. he rose to become the director of pediatric narrow surgery -- ery at johns hopkins. he became the first person to says -- to successfully separate siamese twins. he won the presidential medal of freedom in 2008. he has published several books including his autobiography, gifted hands. appearancesus media
8:06 pm
, he has made a lot of headlines on issues such as the mass shooting in oregon, the debt limit and whether he can vote for a muslim for president. we all know, the best place to make news is in this real and at this podium. room and at this podium. please give a warm welcome to dr. ben carson. [applause] dr. ben carson: thank you. you very much. kandi and i are delighted to be here. and i are delighted to be here. i will get right into it. why did i write this book? and, america is such a great place and i am so glad that i was born here. i have traveled to 57 different
8:07 pm
countries. gotten to know a lot of people and a lot of ways of life. this remains the place that is the land of dreams. tonow a lot of people like criticize our nation and demonize it and say it is responsible for a lot of horrible things. and yet, i see a lot of people trying to get in here and not a lot of people trying to get out. so i am not sure that is all that legitimate to be honest with you. , with aup in poverty lot of disadvantages, the thing that was really great was that i was still able to focus on my dreams. my dream of becoming a doctor. it was the only thing i ever wanted to do. i skipped right by policemen and firemen and went straight to doctor. [laughter] i love anything that had to do -- i loved anything that had
8:08 pm
to do with medicine. i even enjoyed going to the doctors. i even endured shots because i liked the smell of the alcohol swabs. during the process, were there hurdles along the way? absolutely, tremendous hurdles along the way. but nevertheless, it was still possible to realize that dream. i want to make sure that that continues to be the case. one of the reasons that it was possible is because we have a system that did everything possible to create fairness. even when there were people in the system who did not want to be fair. and that is why it is so important that we must preserve our constitution. virtually, all americans know that we have a constitution. how many people actually know what is in it?
8:09 pm
and how many people actually know what is behind it? and of course, it is the mechanism that guarantees our liberties and that provides the guidelines for the restraint of government. because our founders recognized that it was the natural tendency of government to grow. and to invade every aspect of your life and try to control your life and that is what people do. that is what they wanted to avoid by doing this and that is why it is so important that we understand it. in 1831, when alexis did tocqueville came to america to study our great country, because the europeans were so flabbergasted that this fledgling nation, barely 50 years old, was already competing
8:10 pm
with them on virtually every level. he was going to dissect it and see what was going on. one of the things that really impressed him was how educated the people were. anyone finishing the second grade was completely literate. he could find a mountain man on the outskirts of society and the guy could read the newspaper. could tell him how our government worked. nowadays, we do not seem to emphasize civics and things like that in school anymore. i am sure some of you have seen some of those man on the street interviews situations where they go out and ask very basic questions and people have no clue what they are being asked. who is the first president? for example. and they answer, reagan? they have no idea. it is funny that it is so sad.
8:11 pm
because, our founders in -- particularly franklin and jefferson emphasized education and they emphasized being informed. they said our system of government and our freedoms are dependent on the well informed and educated populace. because they recognized that if the people were not well informed, that they would be easy to minimum -- to manipulate. all it would take is dishonest politicians and a complicit news media and off you would go into another direction there he quickly. right offl tell you the back before i go any further, i am not politically correct. i will not be politically correct and that is one of the reasons that a lot of people in the press do not like me. reallyk because what i
8:12 pm
love is this country. i do not necessarily care whether the press likes me or not. therefore, i am not going to conform to all of their little requirements. he will ask me all of the time -- why don't you just do this or do that and they won't say bad things about you. because this is america and i will not do that and i never will. i want to touch on one of -- on some of the aspects of america that i touched on in the book like the balance of powers, the check and balance system, the separation of powers. i believe this is so vitally important and it was a touch of genius by our founders because they recognized that eaton -- that each branch, executive, judicial, and legislative would want to maintain their power and they would push back against excesses in the other branches.
8:13 pm
that works extraordinarily well. in a government like we have when they all are exercising their power appropriately. unfortunately, we have a legislative branch that really ask more like a peanut gallery. they sit there and watch it with the others do, sometimes complain about it. but they really do not offer any resistance because they are afraid someone might blame them. newsflash, you are going to be blamed anyway. so, what they really ought to be thinking about is how do they get involved and be more proactive. you know, case in point, i think decision by the supreme court on gay marriage. now, first of all, let me just say, i have nothing against gay
8:14 pm
people whatsoever. notow a lot of people do believe that because we live in a society now where if you do not accept their entire agenda, then you are a homophobe. but, i personally believe that any two people regardless of sexual orientation or anything else have the right to associate together. if they want to have a legal contract drawn up which allows and havehare property hospital visitation rights and do whatever they want, absolutely. i do not have any problem like that. country thisind of was designed to be. live and let live. not impose your values on everyone else. and that is the problem. but what the supreme court ruling did, that changes essentially the definition of marriage -- it does not take into consideration the
8:15 pm
implications of that. if you change it for one group, why won't you change it for the next? what defense you have against the next group? are you going to say we will only change it for this group? that would not be fair. why change it in the first place? it has been working very well for thousands of years and that is what happens when people go in and start tinkering with things without thinking about the implications of it. however,lative branch i would have thought would have withalready prepared legislation in case the supreme court came down with that decision to make sure we preserved the right, the religious rights of everyone. not everybody agrees with their new definition of marriage and it is a conviction and a religious conviction.
8:16 pm
and they need to make sure that they can protect people's religious rights. they have been johnny come lately but i call upon congress to do that now. there are people who are losing their jobs. their livelihoods. that is not fair. it is not what america was supposed to be. unless, all of the branches of government are functioning the right way, these are the kinds of things that happened. because, there will be overreach by any of the branches because they are composed of people and people are not perfect. but that is why we have the counterbalance in order to be able to rectify the situation because one group may not take into consideration the ramifications of what they are doing. also, the constitution indicates that civil issues really should
8:17 pm
be dealt with at the local levels. at the state levels. there is a reason for that. it was because the legislators and the judiciary at the local level are subject to the will of the people. in, thele vote them people vote them out and our founders felt the people should be the ones who determine how things work and the standards by which they lived. when you take those issues and you bump them up to a level where the people making the decisions have no obligation whatsoever to the people, then you wind up with in all of our an oligarchy type government and that is not what the founders intended for america. so, we are somehow going to have rebalanceto ways to
8:18 pm
that because if we continue down that pathway, you can see how virtually everything that they intended will be upset. we do not want that to happen. the preamble to the constitution talks about the role of the government in terms of promoting the general welfare. that does not mean that we want to put everyone on welfare. that is not what the general welfare is. it means that when we do things, we want to do them in a way that they benefit the entire society. important that we take care and make sure that everyone is taken care of in an appropriate way. when i say we, it does not necessarily mean the federal government. -- i getriticize criticized, inappropriately by the way, by people who say that
8:19 pm
i grew up poor and benefited by some programs and now i want to withdraw all of the safety nets. nothing but a blatant lie by people who need to characterize me as heartless. they love to do that. they love to say that ben clarkson -- ben carson is insensitive. they need that narrative. that is the only way it can be acceptable because i do not fit into their general description. who is aerson conservative? they cannot quite deal with that. self-reliancet and that you are not dependent on them? how could you possibly say such heresy? in a necessary to demonize business like that and i understand that. i am actually willing to fight with them. i will continue to fight with them.
8:20 pm
i am fighting for something even greater. and that is, i am fighting for the people of the united states because you see we have very smart and very capable people in our nation who would be extremely good leaders but they say -- why would i get into that cesspool and be attacked and have my family attacked and have people going through every aspect of my life and trying to demonize me. people do not want to do that. i am going to fight that fight for them. successful, i expect that maybe a lot more of the people in our country who are not professional politicians will say --you know what? he did it. and i am going to do it also.
8:21 pm
and i think we will be much better off as a country when we once again understand that this country is for everyone and not a specific political class. [applause] but as far as the whole safety net argument is concerned, my mother worked extraordinarily hard. three jobs at a time, leaving the house before 5:00 a.m. in the morning and getting back after midnight. beause she did not want to dependent. she occasionally accepted some eight but for the most part, she was able -- she accepted some he, but for the most part was able to stay off of it and she refused to be a victim and she refused to let us be a victim. it was not that she did not recognize that there were problems out there. she chose to focus on other things. she would say to us -- if you
8:22 pm
walk into an auditorium full of bigoted, racist people, she said , it you do not have a problem. they have a problem. when you walk in there, they are all going to cringe and wonder if you are going to sit next to them, whereas, you can sit wherever you want. [laughter] that is kind of the way that i have chosen to live my life. have there been obstacles? of course. have there been racist people around? of course. what i said, that is their problem. i have some very important things that i need to do. so i can get wrapped up in their problems or i can do the important things. not everyone chooses to live their life that way and that is fine that that is the way that i chose to live mine. it works pretty well, if i do say so myself. having said that, i am very concerned about the downtrodden
8:23 pm
people in our society. have ao believe that we responsibility to take care of them. i am talkingy we, about we the people. i am talking about the private actor. i am not talking about -- i am talking about the private sector. the government has been taking this on since woodrow wilson but it kept increasing. by the time we got to lyndon poverty,and the war on that we are the savior and we will take care of you guys and we will solve all of the problems. here we are all of these years later, $19 trillion later, did we solve the problem? we have 10 times more people on food stamps. more people in poverty, on welfare, broken homes, out of wedlock births, crime, incarceration. everything that was supposed to
8:24 pm
be better is not only worse, it is much worse. so, i am not going to sit here and demonize the government for doing that, but i am saying -- isn't it time to wake up and start thinking about another way to do things? rather than driving ourselves into debt without solving the problem. and that is a tremendous responsibility of the government as well. to remain solvent. guardian of are the the people's future. enjoy the liberties enjoy thehe future liberties if they are overloaded with debt. trillion, the national debt. think about that. to pay that back at $10 million
8:25 pm
a day, it would take you over 5000 years. that is absurd. we are putting that on the backs of our young people. and now, here we are sitting here saying -- let us increase the debt some more. let us raise the debt ceiling some more. us thatver occur to there is another way? 4.1 million federal employees. i would offer that that is too many. six hundred 45 federal agencies and self agencies. 645 federal-- agencies and sub agencies. if you cut the budget by one penny, it will be a disaster, according to some.
8:26 pm
nancy pelosi. this is absurd. [laughter] we must think about the children. that really is the main reason that i have gotten into the freight here. here.o the fray my whole professional career centered on children and the future for the children. do to improve the quality of life for them. -- can we in good conscious conscience continue this charade of responsibility knowing that what we are doing to their future is wrong. if i had time, i would get into the fiscal gap and all of the implications of that and what the implications of the debt is on the fed and how they are irresponsibly printing money and how the low interest rates are hurting the poor and the middle class.
8:27 pm
putting money into a savings account or buying bonds does not help them. the only people that can make money are people that have a risk tolerance which allows them to go into the stock market. and i would talk about the regulations and how every single regulation costs money in terms of goods and services and how those are the things that are really impacting the middle class and the poor people. it does not matter for wealthy people if a bar of soap goes up $.10 but it matters a lot to the middle class or for herpes -- or for poor people. you think about that regulatory burden and who that is hurting. it goes on and on. we are promoting the general welfare, those are the kinds of things we need to be thinking about. we need to be thinking about mechanisms for allowing the don -- the downtrodden in our society to escape from dependency and move up the ladder of success. we have to understand that we
8:28 pm
only have 330 million people. that sounds like a lot but china has over a billion and india has over a billion. we need to get the bang for the buck out of all of our people. how all offind out our people can rise and stop all of this really class warfare stuff. stimulus bymmediate thinking about the over $2 trillion that exists overseas. right now. we need to bring that money back. i can remember many an afternoon sitting around the board table at a lot or costco talking about the money overseas and what we were going to do with it and how we would love to bring it back to build another factory or do something else. but the corporate tax rates were too high. what if we had a six month hiatus on those corporate taxes overseas?
8:29 pm
money be repatriated. i have been talking about this for several. it would not cost them anything to repatriated. we would only require that 10% enterpriseed in zones that are set up in our major cities or two at -- or to provide employment for people who are unemployed or on welfare. if you want to talk about an incredible stimulus that does not cost the taxpayers one penny -- that would be the biggest stimulus since fdr's new deal. such a low hanging fruit. [applause] we have got to do. deal with this low hanging fruit. the other thing we have to deal business andng industry thinking about how we invest in the people around us. this is what we used to do before the government started
8:30 pm
taking over everything. americans are very generous people. if you think about the early america and you had communities all over the place, in many cases separated by hundreds of miles. how did they survive and thrive? because at harvest time, if a farmer was up in the apple tree taking apples and fell down and broke his leg, everyone else pitched in and harvested his crops. was killed,lse everyone pitched in and took care of his family. so let's utilize that and recognize that we are our brother's keeper and it is our job to take care of the indigent and not the duty of the government. [applause] and you know,: another important aspect of our government is to provide for the common defense. now i could talk about this for a long time.
8:31 pm
but simply to allow our military to deteriorate as it has, to fail to take care of our veterans to the point where we have 22-23 suicides a day, it makes absolutely no sense. to leave our electric grids unprotected, it needs to be hardened, we need to have several layers of alternatives in energy. you know, this is criminal what we are doing, because we are so vulnerable. you know, we need to really beef up our cyber capabilities. tell you, andre carson administration, if another country attacks us with a cyber attack, they are going to get hit so hard, it is going to take them a long time to recover. we can't let people sit around and let them do stuff. and then we can just say, "you're bad, i don't like you." [laughter] [applause]
8:32 pm
we also need to reinvigorate our space program. i think it is a crime that we have moved away from that. think about all of the inventions, the innovation, that came out of that. your cell phone, so many things. and the important thing is, in the future, he who controls the space controls the earth. to that thereardy are others who are working very hard in order to conquer that area. [applause] and then then: last area i just wanted to and i couldfly, really go on for quite a while on this one, but there is only that isness in america protected by a constitution, and that is the press. and there was a reason for that.
8:33 pm
it was because the press was supposed to be an ally of the people. and they were supposed to expose and inform the people in a nonpartisan way. when they become partisan, which they are, they distort the system as it was supposed to work, and they allowed the side that they picked to get away with all kinds of things. think there is still hope for the press. i think it is possible that some of them will recognize that it is almost a sacred obligation that they have to the people. to be honest. [applause] dr. ben carson: now, you know,
8:34 pm
just in the last week, in my own case, you know, they take something that i said about the shootings in oregon and, don't put the part in where i was answering the question, don't put the question in, just give the response, and say, "see? he's just been critical of the people." the good thing is, a lot of people in america are onto this and it seems like the more they attack me, the better i do, because people expect that, you know? [applause] know,n carson: and you last week, i am leading a press conference, getting ready to get on the bus, and a reporter says, "can you tell me what you are going to do about hurricanes?" and i said "goodbye, i don't know." of the next a someone said, " carson doesn't know what he's
8:35 pm
going to do when it comes to hurricanes." [laughter] dr. ben carson: and this is the level of insecurity that we see here. and it happens on the other side, too. it is not just on one side. i was doing an interview with wolf blitzer yesterday, and we were talking about the voting rights act, and you know, of course i want to renew the voting rights act or at least the aspects of it that protects all of american rights to us, but you know, it is a much longer conversation about what needs to be done to it before it is renewed. it was something based on conditions 50 or 60 years ago. a lot of things have changed since that time. we certainly don't want to empower the department of justice to do things that some of the holder justice department did based on that bill.
8:36 pm
so you know, everything needs to be looked at in its context. picks onews media word or one phrase and they run with it and they try to characterize it, i've got to tell you guys, that is why people don't trust you anymore. i mean, you are down there with used cars salesman. salesmen.r [applause] dr. ben carson: so what is a going to take to save our country? courage. it is going to take courage by all of us, including the press, and we have to begin to think about those who come behind us. because what would happen to us if those who preceded us were little chicken livers? what if they weren't willing to take risks? our soldiersday
8:37 pm
invading the beaches of normandy had seen their colleagues being cut down, 100 bodies laying in the sand, 1000 bodies laying in the sand, what if they had been frightened and turned back? well, i guarantee you they were frightened. but they didn't turn back. they stepped over the bodies of their colleagues. thatng that in many cases they would never see their homeland or their loved ones again. and they stormed those axis troops. and they took that beach. and they died. why did they do that? they didn't do it for themselves. they did it for you. and they did it for me. and now it is our turn.
8:38 pm
and what are we willing to do for our children? for our grandchildren? are we willing to stand up? are we afraid that someone is going to call us a nesting in? or that we are -- a nasty name? or on we going to get an irs audit? or that someone is going to mess with our job? lot less to have a lose than they did and people are always telling me to hang in there and not let it get to me, that believe me, do not worry about it because the stakes are much too high. thank you very much. [applause]
8:39 pm
>> thank you, dr. carson. we have many questions including many questions about foreign policy. we have president putin intervening in syria, supporting and this regime, morning, we learned that the president of the united states is ending the program for rebels. the anti-assad how would you as president approach of the syrian situation? what actions would you take? i think itson: well, is a very serious situation and i think we cannot simply be passive in a situation like this. the russianen generals tell us, you know, what "we don't want you guys flying in this area," my response would be, "go take a flying leap, we
8:40 pm
are going to fly where we want to." but we have established our own no-fly zone with turkey and i think we need to recognize, why is he really there? you know, he said he was coming there to fight isis. has he really been fighting isis who, nusra and everybody in fact, is opposing sod -- o pposing assad? i think you will also see that assad is getting a lot of help from the supreme leader of iran. what is going on there? these relationships are complex. some people are surprised when i iran'sed that putin and leader has a long relationship. khomeni was in the
8:41 pm
same class with masson -- moussaud and they were already quite familiar with a young vladimir putin at that time in university. is verye that putin desperate right now because oil prices are very low. that is what has been precluding his expansionist activities. it is not us, believe me, it is the economic situation. now, he can get a foothold in syria and then begin to spread his influence throughout that region, and if he can gain control of significant energy reserves, he might then be able , have muchuch more more control on energy prices throughout the world. and that will then emboldened
8:42 pm
him to his he will be stripped of what he needs to do. but we need to fight him everywhere. you know? theeed to be reestablishing missile defense system, i think, in eastern europe, we need to be supplying arms to the ukraine. we said we were going to protect them if we gave -- if they give up nuclear weapons, and they give up nuclear weapons, and did we protect them? of course not. onis too bad that we renege their responsibilities, so we need to oppose him at every step and we also need to take advantage of his economic weakness by using our economic strength and very wise ways. the house is looking for a new speaker and there is a report that mitt romney called paul ryan and urged him to run for speaker. is paul ryan the guy? should he run for speaker? and as president, how would you
8:43 pm
work with congress to end the gridlock that has defined washington so often? dr. ben carson: paul ryan is a fine person. i like him. i like a lot of people in congress. i hope the process plays on. i hope that a number of people will present their philosophy for leadership and that there is an opportunity for the members of congress to see who they want to work with as their leader. what i would do is i would have a policy of talking. the current administration doesn't talk a lot to the people in congress, not even to their own party. how can you come to resolutions without talking? i mean, what happens to four people get divorced? - two people who get divorced - to people who get divorced?
8:44 pm
they stopped talking. they become the devil incarnate. i think if we are willing to sit down and talk about it, then we find that we are not nearly as far apart as we think we are. we do have to keep the instigators out and the people who try to irritate and agitate. you know, good example of that is a few weeks ago when i was on "meet the press" and i said anybody from any religion or any background who is willing to embrace our values and is willing to put our constitution above their belief system is acceptable to me. adon't know why that is difficult subject for people to understand. but anyone who's belief system does not conform to our constitution and who is not willing to put that on our constitution, what with that person be the leader of this country?
8:45 pm
it doesn't make any sense. [applause] >> in your first three months in office, how would it be different? dr. ben carson: well, first of all, i would call for a joint session of congress and i would want them to know that under a carson administration, we recognize that the people are at the pinnacle and that we work for them and they don't work for us. and we have to begin to also americans that we are first and democrats and republicans second or maybe even third. to stop, we have fighting each other, because one of the things that i think threatens to destroy our nation is the extreme divisiveness. we've gotten to the point where
8:46 pm
either somebody disagrees with you, then you will need to try to destroy them, destroy their family and their livelihood. where did that come from? i guarantee you it did not come from our judeo-christian values and roots. [applause] >> as president, who would you want as chairman of the federal reserve, and what kind of qualities would you want to that person? dr. ben carson: honesty and common sense would be a good start. and that is not to say that we haven't had such people. you know, i like janet yellen. i served on the board with her and she is a very decent person and i think she is trying very hard. but you got to realize that we have put the feds in a very difficult position right now. that is because of the amount of debt we have a chelated -- we have accumulated.
8:47 pm
it is very difficult for the interest ratehe to a level with such a high debt. it is still $250 billion a year, so can you imagine what it would be if we allowed the interest rates to rise to their normal levels? on drivingbe working that debt down, and i have some ideas on how that can be done. that can have a very familiar familiar rate ameloirating process with that. but we cannot just rely on the in to get rid of the debt america. 1933 andled in 1971, 1971, from the gold standard. it doesn't have to be gold.
8:48 pm
it can have other things we can couple it with, that we have to be responsible to what we do and i think it would make a big difference. >> you mentioned your comments on "meet the press," that i got several questions from the audience related to that. one questioner says "muslims serving in the u.s., there are muslims serving in our united states military, our police forces, our courts, our city councils, so on and so forth, so how is it ok for a muslim who dies in the military but not have one serve as a judge even though their values are incompatible with the constitution that they serve to uphold?" one question but i think you get it. again, a good: understanding of the constitution answers that question for you because when --articlet article to
8:49 pm
ii and we are talking about requirements for the president and they have to be a natural born citizen, why is that the case? i am sure if you had gone to the founders and said, "what about this person? they may not be a natural born citizen, but they have been an american for most of their life fine, upstanding citizen, they served in the military, they came back, they are on a police force. can they be the president?" and they would have said "no. we don't even want to take the slight chance that we would put someone in that position who had different loyalties." that is the answer to your question. [applause]
8:50 pm
there is a question about your opposition to obamacare and the question is along the lines of, you are a doctor and obviously all of the parts of medical care are important to you, preventative care, many of the things that obamacare provides, so the questioner is wondering how your values as a doctor and the importance of people getting health where -- health care squares in opposition with a program that gives so many access to health care? dr. ben carson: chomping at the bit with that one. first of all, the reason that i don't like the so-called affordable care act is not because it doesn't work and not ,ecause it is not affordable but the real reason is because it flies in the face of the very principles to the establishment of this country. this country was supposed to be
8:51 pm
of, four, and by the people, and the government was there to facilitate life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. with that act, the government comes along and says, "i don't care what you people think, this is what we are doing and we are going to cram it down your throat and if you don't like it, too bad." there right there is an idea that is antithetical to the government and it flips the relationship and it puts the government in the driver's seat and it puts us at their beck and call. with the mostat important thing you have, your health and your health care, it is not too long before they start to do all of that with every aspect of your life and it changes every aspect of america, and i want to turn that around in its tracks. we have to once again restore the people to the pinnacle. now having said that, i do want everybody to have good care. it is consistent with who i am.
8:52 pm
a healthe talked about care system, but let me just talk about the part for the indigent. how do we take care of the indigent now? we have medicaid. billion aon-$500 year. many in this too program, by the way, but we can address that by how we can get the economy rolling. we have $5,000 for every man, woman, and child in medicaid that is allocated. what can you buy with that? most car veers practices cost --ween $2000-$3000 per year concierge practices cost between $2000-$3000 per year. i am not saying that we could do
8:53 pm
that, but i am saying that we have enough money to do that. and what is the result of that? now when mr. jones has a diabetic foot ulcer, he is not going to go to the emergency room, he is going to go to the clinic where he can get the same treatment that instead of just patching him up and sending him out, they are going to tell him that they are going to get his diabetes under control. there is a whole other level of savings which is not being recognized right now and we are teaching him personal responsibility rather than dependency. those of the kinds of things we should be doing that will cost us a lot less money and everybody will be of equal value. you won't have people who are going to be told that they don't want to be seen and they will have to go to the emergency room. it is going to cost us actually less money. it is the kind of thing we should be doing and we -- less money. it is the kind of thing we should be doing and we can be doing and we should take care of our people. [applause] i have received several
8:54 pm
questions from the audience about guns and your comments about the holocaust and if jews have been able to protect had been ablejews to protect themselves, there would not have been a holocaust. i will let you clarify on that. the whole approach on mass , if you have more people armed, could that stop more of these mass shootings? dr. ben carson: the whole comment on the holocaust, that again is just the left-wing press trying to stir up controversy and that is just what they do, but basically what i said is that when you're in the occurs traditionally around the world, they try to disarm the people first. and that is exactly what happened in germany. in the mid to late 30's, they started the program of disarming the people, and by the mid-40's, look at what had happened.
8:55 pm
it has happened in another -- and i number of other countries as well. daniel webster said that people have not been imprisoned in america because we are armed. i am not happy to look at ways to keep these tragedies from occurring as long as they don't interfere with the second amendment, and that is what we have to keep in mind. and then, what was the other part of that question? >> will it help prevent more of these mass shootings? dr. ben carson: with a mass shooting, one of the things that people notice is that they tend to go to places that are gun free zones. so even though they may be mentally disturbed, they are not so mentally disturbed as not to be able to realize that if you go someplace where people can show you, you are probably going to get shot. so what i am saying is that it is probably a good idea to make sure there are people in the areas where we have vulnerable people who can oppose these
8:56 pm
people not just with words, but were trained, you know, they can be retired policeman, retired -- policemen, retired military, but i would feel a lot safer if my child was in a school if someone could protect them if someone came in. to me, what i am talking about is common sense. some of the people out there, there is no such thing as common sense. [applause] we are almost out of time. for i ask the final question, i have some housekeeping. the national press club is the world's leading, professional organization for journalists and we fight for a free press worldwide. to join the club, go to our website at press.org. i also want to remind you about
8:57 pm
some upcoming events. on thursday, october 15th, the club will hold its annual fourth estate award gala and this year we will honor gwen eiffel -- gwen ifil, and she is the comanaging editor of the "pbs news hour." ofwill also have an event 100 years ago when senator ted kane faced off with the members of the news media spelling bee. [laughter] >> and on friday, kevin costner will be here to discuss his new book. like to present our speaker with the honorary national press club mug. [applause] >> you are developing a collection. dr. ben carson: thank you. >> so a couple of final questions. downe situation was right
8:58 pm
the campaign trail, circumstances changed, would you consider being donald trump's running mate? [laughter] the press will have a field day with this one. and by the way, before i answer that question, i just want to mention that many in the press will say that i am sensitive and you know, i should not be thinking about running for office because i get offended by what they do. of course they will say that. but the reason that i expose the press is because i want the people of america to understand what they are doing. so it is not because i am sensitive. i will continue to expose them every time they do something
8:59 pm
because as more people understand who they are and what they are doing, it will negate their effect and until they have the kind of transportation -- transformation that is necessary for them to be the ally of the people, we need to know what they are doing. now in terms of trump, how could i forget. ok. [laughter] dr. ben carson: you know, i believe that donald trump has been very useful because he has brought in a lot of people, brought in a lot of curiosity and enthusiasm, and whoever the eventual nominee is, they will benefit from that, even if it is him. so that is a good hang. that is one of the reasons i don't talk about him and i don't talk -- that is a good thing. that is one of the reasons i don't talk about him and i don't talk about anybody else. but i want somebody who would be
9:00 pm
compatible with me. i don't want somebody of this demographic or that demographic because the things that have to be done are very, very serious things, quite frankly. around the tampering edges, we've got to go to the heart of the matter, and i don't think we have a whole lot of time to do that, so i would need somebody who is very compatible and understands the urgency of what we are doing and who is willing to suffer the slings and the arrows to get it done and that is what it will >> ladies and gentlemen, please give a round of applause to our speaker.

23 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on