Skip to main content

tv   Key Capitol Hill Hearings  CSPAN  October 12, 2015 6:00pm-8:01pm EDT

6:00 pm
student. i'm a sophomore. my question is about gun control. when the president says that it's routine now and his response to the questions are routine, it's too much. what do we do about gun control where there is almost a gun for every man, woman and child in this country? there are too many guns and they end up in the hands of people we don't want them that? how do we greet people to not freak out? governor kasich: we're not going to take guns away. there are a couple of law ops the books. if you're at a gun show, you can't sell without a background check. you can't sell to somebody in a parking lot without a record.
6:01 pm
there needs to be records so people with mental illness can't get guns. i'm glad you asked that. i want you to think about something. we're focusing on the guns. let's talk about the people. this person, this guy who committed the mass murder in oregon, it was his mother. he and his mother. where was dad? where was brother or sister? where was neighbor? -- an, folks, are marriages our marriages, too many of them have eroded. the relationship with our neighbors. what's happened todd neighborhood? you see, we are all really our neighbors' keeper. and we all have a responsibility to live a life bigger than
6:02 pm
ourselves. it's about justice and healing and who is helping this woman down in virginia? this is something the government could have done. there was not an emergency bed for his son, he took his son home and the next day, a tragedy occurred where he was stabbed and his son is gone. why didn't we have the beds? was it because we run over eople who we don't understand? what are we doing to help one another? we're spending a lot of our time worrying about who is going to be president. that's great. but the country was not built from the top down. the country was built from the bottom up. we heard the pope the other day about the power of family. the pope about all of us being connected. so the laws on guns should be enforced. i think we can respect the
6:03 pm
second amendment. but what about the other things we're not doing that could have averted some of these tragedies? what are we doing to think about the things that we as a society can do, sometimes without government, make sure that our neighborhoods are stronger so that people don't live alone? that woman that mother, could not control her son and she had nowhere to go. a week ago or two weeks ago, i went to a place called hope house, it was in iowa. i don't know why -- i think i know why they took me there. it's a house for women who really have gotten to the edge of falling apart. beautiful place. wonderful people. i said why is this here? because there's nowhere for people to go now. we're isolated, we're alone too much of the time. one of my jobs if i'm president is to think about a way where we
6:04 pm
can reignite the spirit of who we are as americans. when de tocqueville came here, we -- he talked about who we were. we need to reignite that. endorse that model. of strong families and strong neighborhoods and living a life beyond ourselves. we have responsibility that way. and that even in some ways takes uh back to the budget. if you're going to be elected to public service and you're going to go serve, do your job. don't worry about re-election. just go do your job. guess what, you'll get re-elected. just ask lieberman who fought everybody down there. you did win, didn't you? he did win. you can lead and you can win and you know what, you can feel good about yourself even if you don't win. and over the long haul that's where the treasure is. thank you all very much.
6:05 pm
[applause] ♪ >> thank you, governor john kasich, wasn't he great? well, thank you all. this has been a big day for no labels and i hope and believe the beginning of a turnaround from manchester, new hampshire, that's going to go throughout america. mr. lieberman: politics can change. thank you for being with us. thank you for sticking here as long as you have. everyone who is still here will get my personal cal ripken award for stamina. look, we had at least 1,500 people here. eight presidential candidates spoke to this group.
6:06 pm
i think today is the day, thanks to an enormous amount of work by nancy jacobson and a whole no labels team including john broder and renee plumber here in new hampshire. today is the day the no labels problem solving brand of politics became part of the mainstream of america's presidential election of 2016. and that -- [applause] mr. lieberman: and there was no better place for this to happen than in new hampshire. because, listen, you could make a difference, independents, undeclared voters, voting in the primaries. you've got a tremendous opportunity to nominate some problem solving candidates in both parties for president. so from the bottom of my heart, thank you. as somebody who has toiled in the political fields in america for a long time over the last
6:07 pm
few years has had some moments i leave this problem solvers convention, full of hope that we're on the road to a better tomorrow. thank you. nd now -- if i were ed mcmahon 'd say, here's johnny. >> one thing johnny is convinced of because i'm just a retired senator, never stand toe-to-toe with a senator. mr. huntsman: we were here very early this morning, we all walked in, not as republicans and democrats and independents, we walked in this room as americans. caring deeply about our future and where we go. and that's the beauty of this
6:08 pm
organization. then we walked in and looked behind us and see these remarkable students who represent the future, 150 college campuses around the country that have been organized around no label. you've got a little homework assignment now. we can either walk out tonight having been edified by exposure to the candidates, something any state would die for, or -- so we could walk out and forget this happened or we could walk out and do the new hampshire thing. the new hampshire thing. town going to go to your halls and say, no labels needs more congressmen as problem solvers. i'm going to track the congressmen down and ask them why they're not problem solvers. you're going to attend debates
6:09 pm
with candidates and say, these are folks who need to explain where they are on the national agenda and why they haven't talked about solving problems and setting goals for this country. that's up to you because it's easy for the candidates to slide through, get to the finish line, without you doing the new hampshire thing, which is holding them responsible. and finally, you all need to pick up on the multiplier effect of your individual networks here in new hampshire and beyond. that is for people who have heard about no labels and today, multiples more have heard about what we are try to do and they hear about it the first time and say, that makes sense to me. why isn't anybody else doing that? take the word out to your friends. take the word out to your associates. let them learn more about what it is we're trying to do. no labels -- nolabels.org. from the bottom of our hearts, thank you for being committed patriots, for being committed americans. god bless you, take off and get busy, we have some real work to
6:10 pm
do before the new hampshire primary. thank you very much. [cheers and applause] [captioning performed by national captioning institute] [captions copyright national cable satellite corp. 2015]
6:11 pm
♪ >> the no labels convention, focusing on bipartisanship. many candidates took part, martin o'malley, governor pataki, senator graham and donald trump. we'll have a recap for you in a couple of hours. while in new hampshire for the convention, our crew talked with
6:12 pm
attendees about c-span's "road to the white house" coverage and we have more of that tomorrow from the campaign trail with former florida governor jeb bush talking about health care in manchester at a town hall meeting live at 10:00 a.m. eastern. we have it right here on c-span. governor john kasich, who we ust heard from is live in bow, new hampshire, live at 12:30. >> all campaign long, c-span takes you on the road to the white house. unfiltered access to the candidates at town hall meetings, news conferences, rallies and speeches. we're taking your comments on twitter, facebook, and by phone. and always, every campaign event we cover, is available on our website at c-span.org. >> the "texas tribune" is reporting that bill flores is running to be the next house speaker. the chair of the republican
6:13 pm
study committee send an email to some of his g.o.p. colleagues asking for their support. he said he would withdraw from the race if paul ryan elects to run for speaker. representative ryan said he doesn't want the post but many in his party are calling for him to run. candidates for house speaker include oversight committee chair jason chaffetz and daniel webster of florida. the international business times reporting volkswagen is recalling 1,950 diesel vehicles in china to correct software that allowed its cars to cheat on emissions tests. about 11 million v.w. cars worldwide are equipped with that software. here in the u.s., congress held a hearing last week on the emissions software. you can see that at c-span.org. now members from the european parliament talking about the volkswagen investigation. this is about an hour and 15 minutes. >> thank you, madam president
6:14 pm
and commissioner. today we're talking about a very sad story, a very sad one, because as legislators, we thought over the years we had contributed in a practical fashion to reducing emissions of cars. we thought we had reached important targets to ensure that european citizens would be able to live in a cleaner environment. in actual fact we find ourselves confronted with a completely different situation. we hope to guarantee cleaner air to breathe for our citizens, we e now certain that our legislative wishes were only delouisry. usory. we know today that limits to the knox emissions -- to the nox emissions have been deliberately
6:15 pm
exceeded by one of the largest car manufacturers. as a chair, i'm concerned, just as my colleagues who will be speaking after me. i turn to the commission asking whether there have been other pollutants, particular tech lats, co-2, carbon monoxide or is nox the only pollutant? is it true as we read in the press that emissions were 40 times greater than allowed? e need to know the truth and i'll ask the demoigs proceed with investigations and keep the parliament abreast of the outcome of your investigation. we'd like to thank the commission for coming to report immediately to the committee as soon as the scandal erupted but we would like to know whether it's true, as has been declared by many car manufacturers apart
6:16 pm
from volkswagen, that these tests for emissions were not manipulated. we would like there to be some form of independent scrutiny because what is at stake here is realy important. s to the for the health of our european citizens. this is a sad story for many reasons and i would like to refer to the approval authority. how is it possible that the authorities did not discover these illegal devices over such a long period of time? how are these tests carries out? what are the tools used? what are the instruments? what's the equipment? an american university discovered this, but we should ask member states in charge of control, who is responsible for this type of test? how is it possible that these tests passed -- these cars passed the approval tests? so what is the position of the
6:17 pm
commission here and what does the commissioner think about there being a surveillance authority which would be able to check what has been carried out in the member states and also the local authority, the civil authorities, who are able to reach the air quality requirements, that the european commission said they are violating legal provisions. but now they know what was going on. there were people there who weren't spick sticking to the rules and they perhaps have been erroneously considered to be responsible for the situation. so commissioner, we have discovered that carbon monoxide emissions can be different on the road compared to what is alculated in a laboratory.
6:18 pm
this is why new tests are being carried out, real drive emissions to test real driving conditions. so i would like to know whether as of 2017, will the commission use these tests, or will it simply use a random cycle system? it's important to know exactly what is happening in this area. we need to know whether this is an isolated case or whether several companies are doing the same thing. but i would like to know why the european union always has to wait for the scandal to erupt or the tragedy before acting. it happened in food sector before we imposed the traceability for meat. it was also, unfortunately, thousands of people had to die in the mediterranean before we came up with a proper migration policy. now, did we really need this scandal to realize our system had to change and be thought up in a different way?
6:19 pm
thank you. >> mrs. ford has the floor for five minutes. >> thank you. for the vast majority of consumers buying a car is the single biggest purchase they make in their lives after they've bought a home. mrs. ford: this v.w. scandal is not just about money, it's also about health as well. in cheating the standards -- when cheating the standards brings a fassive and -- massive and fundamental breach of trust. for the mark to work properly, there must be trust. trust that a service or good is being -- is what the supplier claims it is. trust that it complies with the relevant laws or regulations. trust that your competitors are asking honestly and trust that official bodies have done their jobs properly. and this principle has to apply all across the single market.
6:20 pm
all across all 28 member states. and each of these standards must be applied in every country because once we lose the trust of consumers, it cannot be easily restored. currently, volkswagen customers face chaos. they don't know if a car will be recalled, upgraded or what they'll be paid. consumers looking to buy a new car from another country are also very uncertain. they want to know whether or not it's just volkswagen who have used these device or other company -- if there are other companies involved. they want to know why officials did not act sooner. who knew what? they wanted to know why this was discovered in the u.s. before the e.u. and consumers want answers to all those questions and i agree with them. we need drivers to use diesel cars and to have confidence that when they purchase one, they have made the correct choice. and we cannot let the actions of
6:21 pm
one company tarnish an entire sector. so we need a full investigation, an investigation that people can trust across the entire single market. i know that it's not possible to regulate away fraud. but proper oversight can minimize it. and national regulators are required by law to enforce legislation. if our member states agree law, they must implement them. because the strength of any approval across the e.u. including type approval, is only as strong as the weakest link. every single national regulator must work to the same high standards, otherwise there's a race to the regulatory bottom and turning the -- turning a blind eye on one member state means that good can be sent across all member states. our member states must work together in a coordinated
6:22 pm
fashion. we know emission tests are being updated. we've known for many years that the emission tests and fuel efficiency claims did not represent real world experience and that's why the commission is already due to announce new testing processes by the end of this year and indeed early last month, before this broke out, the commission officials came into my committee to discuss what they were doing. but without any details. now the commission needs to make these announcements soon because manufacturers need to know what they have to deliver. and they have to deliver to these new tests by any new cars that are approved after the end of next year. but the commission must also keep the parliament involved. the parliament has a role to scrutinize delegated acts. 500 million people expect us to do our job properly. i get a bit fed up with
6:23 pm
secondary legislation being written in the commission but then arriving in the parliament at very much last minute with some comment about, don't worry, it's just details. people expect us to do our job, to scrutinize both the primary and the secondary legislation. and we must get the details right. we have to have time to understand it, and we have to have time to listen to both consumers and manufacturers and expert advice too if necessary. parliament, we talk a lot about better law making. the commission is, i believe, trying to deliver better law making. we need to make that happen too and we cannot let this happen again. thank you very much. >> thank you very much indead.
6:24 pm
>> thank you, mayor, madam president, madam commissioner. i agree with my colleagues from both committees. i send the written question to the commission but let me add, the important manipulations endanger the general reputation of e.u. carmakers and the industry. mr. buzek: i want to say that what happened is completely unacceptable. we expect full investigation and full accountability of those who are responsible. it happened while we are negotiating a very, very sensitive issue with our relations with the u.s.a. but the case shows that we this will e afraid lower -- lower our environmental standards. america shows our standards and
6:25 pm
perhaps even more advanced in scrutinizing them. the committee said two years ago that testing must be improved and harr monoized together with tackling the misleading information on consumption and environmental performance which is very important. the issue has not yet been solved. so the european commission and member states must also investigate if the case concerns just one manufacturer or whether we might be facing a much broader problem. if that is the case, it will be necessary to look at the reasons. we like to talk about ambitious standards but what are they worth if they're not realistic, cannot be implemented cost effectively and enforced and controlled? they are not worth very much. thank you very much. mr. cummins has
6:26 pm
the floor. -- mr. kramer has the floor. with >> we know without mobility we will not be able to stop climate change. accounts for. road transport is 72%. since 1990 in industry we've seen a decrease of 2% but in transport we're talking about an increase to the tune of 28%. in other words, transport is gobbling up everything that we're spending elsewhere with our budgetary resources in other sectors. once again, without a changes in mobility we will not be able to stop climate change but we have to stop climate change for the sake of our children and our grandchildren. that is the reason why in the white paper of 2011, with a broad majority here in the parliament, we took a decision, namely that between now and 2030, when it comes to urban
6:27 pm
ansport, 50% of conventionle -- conventional ethanol would be are deuced and by 2050 we would not have any conventional fuel used in our cities. we decided that one our target an we'd achieve this through greater efficiency, new engines and new combustion levels. that's what we decided. of course you can't do that through cheating. you can't do it through criminal activities and that's something we must speak out against very strongly indeed. this wasn't a technological shortcoming, it was a financial deficit. that's why volkswagen took this decision. they decided to cheat rather than being honest. if they'd been honest, the car would have been more expensive. unfortunately, the technical standards were there but were not used. here in the e.u. we have targets in the field of transport up until 2050, ambitious targets set by the commission and we
6:28 pm
have supported those ambitious targets in this parliament but the transport committee for us didn't go far enough. we talked about first step, second step, we needed three steps in succession. that's why we decided to look at 2020 and we looked at levels from 1990, co-2 emissions, wanted to cut them by 20% between them and 2020. a broad majority supported that decision. now we have, of course, new white paper and it documented, the whole thing is documented and we have once again supported his position very broadly. the testing cycles need to be revisited. they need to be more in tune with reality. there's no point in having the best values in a laboratory nvironment if that has nothing to do with what happens on the road. of course we have to gauge things according to how they pan out on the road. that's question to the commission. the commission needs to analyze this, know why -- why sit nobody noticed before?
6:29 pm
you need to analyze that and analyze mistakes made by the commission itself, what kind of mistakes by the member states and what about state authorities? what mistakes have they made? all this needs to be investigated. and of course we want to be sure we have a full and open investigation in the automobile industry and elsewhere too. it needs to be open and transparent. we cannot have a reputation of this that's why we want proposals and expect proposals from the commission. once you've had time to propose -- to study this, i want to know what's your proposal for the future, how can we make sure this kind of disaster this kind of criminal activity is not repeated in the future. because this was a way of deceiving customers as well, cheating customers in terms of the fuel consumed. you thought you were consuming this much, you're actually consuming more. this is bad for taxpayers. taxes in many countries are based on co-2 emissions. the environment has been hard hit by this and we can't afford to damage the environment in
6:30 pm
this way. so again, criminal activity, we have now taking problems and we feared it might be happening in other sectors too. we don't -- we don't want there to be loopholes, loopholes should be closed, they shouldn't be able to use them anymore. the legal loopholes used to bring down emissions levels. we need to investigate all of that, we need to be thorough and we once again must make sure this doesn't happen again in the future. thank you. >> thank you very much indeed. >> madam president, members, thank you very much. i'm grateful for having the toortunity to really explain you the actions of the european commission for the last 10 days. because we face a very difficult case of fraud, let me call it
6:31 pm
very, very frankly, the fraud of damaged y this fraud public trust. this puts at stake the credibility of our legal system and protecting consumers and the environment. against the regulations. i believe we'll be able to overcome it. i thank the european parliament for giving me this opportunity to share the information and those -- and also at the very beginning i want to say i'm ready to continue providing you with every piece of information to ensure this will not happen again. the commission and member states have agreed last week on thursday on the first of october to act quickly and to act collectively. this means three points. one, investigating and establishing the facts and
6:32 pm
enforcing existing laws. which is called for. then, the second point, accelerating adoption of the regulatory framework commission. and third, changing the approval and surveillance system so that this cannot happen again. i will speak about each of these in turn. i want you to know that the commission will play a full role in sorting this out. let me catch up on the first point, establishing the facts. this is something where -- from which we had to start. we must start by establishing the facts. you ask me how the commission will investigate any potential wrongdoing. the commission does not have the power to carry out our own investigation in the automotive sector. we rely on the authorities of
6:33 pm
the member states. these institutions are professional. let's not jeopardize what we have built together so far. widespread feeling of opposition is not helping european action. in fact, investigations have already been launched in several member states and the commission has encouraged, i sent a letter to all the member states, calling on others to do the same. every member state and every manufacturer. the commission is providing a platform for the exchange of information between member states, in this sense we have already convinced several meet offings the government operated. we have discussed this matter also as i mentioned before in detail at the competitiveness council. the national authorities are together, exchanging information with the mission about the states. and the commission is also
6:34 pm
organizing a meeting with the national approval authorities on the 15th of october. we need to have clarified as soon as possible on the extent on the -- extent of the fraud, howinstance, questions like many vehicles in total, in which conditions have vehicle sales been banned and once we have the facts, we must act. as i stressed, we have a zero tolerance for fraud. we must send a very clear message today on the enforcement of existing rules. and those rules must be quickly -- strictly affected. and here again, national authorities have a crucial role to play. we need to be clear about what and when we will do. what action will be taken to remedy the situation and when will they be carried out? we need to do as quickly as
6:35 pm
possible to restore consumer confidence because i think this is the real damage and we need to apply the rules even if it implies sanctions. we owe this to the european citizens. i have asked member states to work together on this. because i think uncoordinated national actions will make things even worse, we will only succeed if we work together. the second point on accelerating the change in the regulatory framework for emissions. of course because the question was whether we know that something is wrong. we noticed the system of testing emissions in laboratories is not the right one and the commission proposed drastic regulations on the real testing. the first package was voted in may but i think we have to accelerate. the new legislation will improve the test to directly assess regulated emissions in the
6:36 pm
vehicle under real driving conditions. the new testing will eliminate the possibility to use the devices and will ensure that emission limits are actually met. -- areond package of the setting out the exact signing and level of the so-called conformity factor planned to be voted this year and will do it. and the third point, approving the surveillance system -- improving the surveillance system so this cannot happen again. where should we act at these levels? let me list the levels where action is needed and where the proof -- with the full support of the european parliament is essential. the existing approval system for other vehicles in the premarket testing and approval of vehicles.
6:37 pm
this is a system used in almost the whole world and has been studied and evaluated in detail for several years. so far, i want to stress so far, the conclusion of our studies have been that this system to ensure safe and environmentally friendly cars on our roads. it could also ensure that the internal market is fully harmonized and that every time a member state authority aproves a vehicle type it can be bought and registered in 28 member states. and this is also an advantage to the citizens in industry. our status conclusion also indicated that we can improve the system, especially in what regards governance and market surveillance. we have therefore been working on a new commission proposal for the last year on the approval system of motor vehicles.
6:38 pm
however, in light of the problems and drawing conclusions , we will analyze our proposal again and will suggest further changes to prevent similar events from happening. i hope to present this as soon as possible. the proposal will then be presented to you and to the council and we expect that our work, our commonwealth will be quick. we expect the resulting work will contribute to more effective surveillance, implementing robot checks and mproved safe gards measures. let me say again, european ustomers must be reassured the nonconfirmed products are not on the e.u. market. finally, a message -- we need to ask ourselves, what lesson we draw from this behavior.
6:39 pm
we have to remind companies that they should respect the letter and the spirit of law. because socially and environmentally responsible companies have been one of the europe's biggest assets. i hope that we can work together for this to continue to be the truth. thank you very much. >> thank you very much indeed. we now move to speakers on behalf of the group. >> commissioner, the revelation of the scandal involving american authorities really was like a bolt from the blue. there are so many issues to be resolved but we can learn from this and particularly seek the truth. this is unacceptable. it needs to be sanctioned, they
6:40 pm
cheated people. that's what we have to become aware of. well, the nsumers as health of their environment is at stake and people like me who stand up for responsible, innovative european industry which creates jobs. this casts a shadow across our whole industry and reflects on european industry throughout the world and across the atlantic in the ttip negotiations. that said we have to prevent his fraud scandal from spreading. it wouldn't be a good idea to predict the end of diesel engines. there are farmers who use diesel
6:41 pm
vehicles, it would be a mistake here and now to condemn diesel and the car industry that uses deseal. madam commissioner, you made certain proposals and of course are awaiting the tests as quick as possible under real driving conditions. i'm also wondering about how realistic our environmental legislation is. are we not sometimes too ambitious? yes, certainly, when we're talking about air quality and health. we need to be ambitious. but we also need to be pragmatic. but let me conclude, our major industrial companies have to play the game of transparency and respect the rules if people are going to continue to trust them. thank you. thank you very much indeed. >> criminal behavior from any company at all, no matter the size is absolutely intolerable in the european union.
6:42 pm
not only it breaks the public's trust, it undermines the quality of our european products and on top of that, especially in this case, it damages the health of our european citizens. as we all know, air pollution across the e.u. is already causing more than 400 premature deaths in a year. e.p.a. missioner, the our testers here in the e.u. is embarrassing. i think the european system as it works today where carmakers can choose themselves where they want their models to be tested is not working today. mrs. commissioner therefore we would like to ask you to establish an independent e.u. approval authority. there's also a very inconvenient truth.
6:43 pm
even the cars that pass the testing in a proper way, or let's presume in a proper way, are polluting much more than they should. we advocate the real driving emissions test and we urge you, as you said, to come up by december, 2016 -- december 2017, excuse me, at the latest and without any loopholes, dear colleagues. so with the conformity factor of one and not more. colleagues, let me conclude by this is not about eing against or in favor, what we should do is make an e.u. from clean diesel into the electric area. and we need to support that. we need to make sure that we have a european union that supports, that carmakers can bring solutions instead of
6:44 pm
problems. >> thank you. on behalf of the e.c.l., mr. hancock. >> ladies and gentlemen, regarding volkswagen a lot of correct things have been said today but also some things that aren't quite correct. missions values were manipulated by volkswagen, that's true. but it's been said that this is the difference in the test in laboratory and on the road. that's not entirely right. so far we can also say that this is the biggest scandal, biggest industrial scandal we have known since the second world war here in europe. to say this is typical of the german automobile industry, that would be incorrect. volkswagen is a special case. i want to make that clear. if you've got trade union officials, politicians who have a majority on the board and if
6:45 pm
that majority also decides to appoint autoclass as the head of the division and you've got politicians interfering in the day-to-day running, off culture that develops where you turn a blind eye to things, and at the end of the day you have this kind of problem arising. credit union leaders and leaders. i'm afraid volkswagen has problems in terms of restructuring. it was hardly competitive anymore. as far as -- i would refer you to the euro which needs to be abolished in my view. >> on behalf of audi two for two minutes. -- audi for two minutes.
6:46 pm
>> 11 million buyers of diesel cars have been competed, eight million in europe. but many more are exposed to emissions. we don't know whether it is the tip of the iceberg but all signs point to that direction. obviously, the companies involved are the first to blame. they deliberately manipulated he test. they should not be rewarded by watering down the european standards or allowing further delays or enforcements. no, i expect the commission to stop staaling the protests and to have a new, real, driving emission tests up and running within six months. i also expect the commission to change the surveillance system. the current national approach apparently is not working. therefore, a european independent oversight buddy must be established with the means to
6:47 pm
test cars itself. but there's another very important political question that has to be answered. what are the -- were the commission and certain member states aware of the cheating? the 2007 regulation explicitly prohibits the use of these devices. so their existence is known for more than a decade. several reports, including a report from the commission's own research body, j.r.c., reported about unexplainable differences between real emissions on the roads and the laboratory test results. then why did the commission never initiate any investigations into this matter? and i ask the commission here today, was the commission aware of the practices by the car industry? is the commission willing to disclose internal documents on this matter, including correspondence with certain member states. j.r.c. and the international
6:48 pm
council on clean transportation. thank you. >> on behalf -- >> thank you, mrs. chair. the act of volkswagen is totally unacceptable and a serious breach against consumers but also against european environmental legislation. 1 million cars, 11 million car owners are subject to fraud. the european people are largely affected as citizens because of this very harmful health effects f the air pollution and also the consumers. the falsified results in emissions tests have been reported to up for the time --
6:49 pm
up to 40 times the legal maximum. volkswagen is by far the biggest car manufacturer in e.u. markets with a market share of around 25% but not the only one. it's just the only company which has the same problem or are there other ones? and what is the commission doing? are we only checking out volkswagen? european standards for protection of european citizens and consumers, however this massive fraud was released in u.s. markets and what do you hink also about how it affects and how the commission advanced the requirements to improve the markets in europe?
6:50 pm
>> well environmental protection and the consumer policy, things that we've been discussing for the past 10 years, striving for a better, cleaner air, environment protection, and we have been discussing this and got used to the fact that auto industry representatives usually see our rules as an attack on their corporate strategy. despite all the negative experiences i've had with lobbyists from all of the car industry, what i didn't expect, and this was the only surprise in the last few weeks, was that a company that is as strong and , when it s volkswagen
6:51 pm
has an ambitious test like this, it takes criminal action. that is something which i really still cannot grasp. not even right here and now. they're all thinking that environmental policy it seems as something which is not acceptable. i've got used to this. but this readytons commit fraud and crime is something i can't understand. i really can't. what gave rise to this? well i'd like to turn rather quickly to the commission now but also my own federal government in germany. i don't know any further sector of regulation in which the federal government has tried so systematically to play the interest of the major companies and protect them against regulations imposed from
6:52 pm
brussels. time and time again, we don't only have a climate chancellor, we have a car chancellor -- chancellor in germany as well and now recently speaking out for lower thresholds and on these questions of the test cycles. i think this type of aggressive protection i think pushes the companies into a way they can act in a criminal way as can happen with volkswagen. so what now? the commission, i think, should didn't come ings as a bolt from the blue. the german government and the commission aimed at not having this test cycle working. it doesn't only apply to diesel standards. it also applies to fuel
6:53 pm
efficiency provisions. so stop being naive. look at the facts. check them through. what you said to us today is very far removed from what needs o be done. we are threatening jobs in europe. it's not environmental rules that threaten industry but rather the way that the industry >> do you accept a blue card? >> yes, of course. >> i listened to many things in your speech. in your opinion is the volkswagen scandal a one off? or do you think from your critical remarks about the german government that perhaps they and all the commission have
6:54 pm
maybe conspired with other companies to break their own rules? what are your views on this? do you think this is more widespread than we know? >> well, the type of criminal action shown by volkswagen, i don't know. i haven't seen it happening for other of the large concerns. but i don't know any vehicle concern which doesn't have a problem with these tests -- test cycles. i'm not aware of any of them which doesn't need to be checked. that's why it's so important that we should be talking about a european inspection here. we need european instruments. we need to arm ourselves with hem. so we can do our job properly.
6:55 pm
>> commissioner, colleagues, we wish to highlight the fact that the consequences of this case which is part of the environment, these consequences were not just to be confined to this case but they were systematically spread across the entire european standards. this will undermine the credibility of any type of certificate. what will the next scandal be? who can trust the certificates? there are two solutions. one is do nothing and recognize that approval is just a joke and a way of assuaging citizens of the european union, making any past or future legislative effort pointless. the second would be to react. adopting landmark punishment for those responsible and the brand concerned, not just high fines but this, to make it quite clear
6:56 pm
to citizens and to industry that the time of tests which isn't circumvent is over. we need to review directives, to identify the legislative shortcomings and the technical tests. the commission had already identified the deseal problem for volkswagen in a document which dates back to 2013678 recently in the past have been reports of violations of legislation of other product, the commission warned the swede irn about this in 2011 and 2014. what about the television sets, there were problems with regard to energy consumption tests are these the only alarm bells which -- will the -- which cause the commission to do something to act here? >> thank you very much, madam president.
6:57 pm
as far as the volkswagen case is concerned, i think we need to be blunt. there's been manipulation. there's been cheating. there's been software manipulation. i think all of that is now known. and we're talking about a large corporation. that allows corporations to have great responsibility as well. the damages will be sustained by many. first of all, it will be the consumers who will suffer damages. also the environment which will suffer as a consequence of this as we heard in the debate today and the company itself and the staff working for the company, the employees will be suffering the damages as well. for consumers, and this is one of our primary tasks, we have to make sure there's a conversation, not just a sorry, not just an apology, but genuine composition -- compensation for the damages sustained. but as often in life there's a flip side to the coin which i would refer to. once again, i don't want to embellish things or gloss over
6:58 pm
anything but we need to rook at the whole issue of fuel consumption by cars, vehicles. the data given by manufacturers are not really ever real when it comes to fuel consumption. of course the values given are the ones given in a laboratory environment and we've been putting up with this, tolerated that but it has an impact on the environment and has a direct impact on the consumer as well on the wallets of our consumers. the second aspect, the united states of america. we're talking about u.s. case of course because they have a regular review of outside emissions and they always bring down the level every single time. now, of course, when you look at their trucks, we're talking about emissions which are three times higher than for cars. so comparing lorries and cars who stands to benefit from all of this? so far we've had no deaths as a consequence of this case.
6:59 pm
thank you. >> one minute. >> well, the evidence is clear the e.u. and the german were aware of volkswagen's dirty policy and apparently it spreads to other corporations as well. revelation of this scandal didn't come about through transparency but through competitive u.s. monopolies seeking to increase their market share. so what does that mean in terms of a trade agreement between the e.u. and u.s.? we've seen that all the independent separate aspects of european policy, green investments etc., have one single objective, that is to make profits. irrespective to what happens to levels of life in all of our countries. we have a role to act as a
7:00 pm
legislator here and this type of scandal is a way of operating. it shows the character of the european union, the systems. it's a monopoly. and basically a rotten situation on the economic front and throughout our lives. that's what people can expect from europe. >> we now have individual statements. please, stick to the time allotted to you. there will be 45 speakers. >> thank you, very much. the fact that it was the americans rather than ourselves covering the fact that the e.u. companies are not complying with the regulation is shameful.
7:01 pm
member states are not enforcing the e.u. law and the european commission does not have enough control insurance at hand. yet again we are talking but something that our internal market and consumer protection committee has been looking at on a number of occasions. my colleague was the author of a report from several years ago. we need a lot of commitment from the european commission but also from the e.u. member states to rectify this. we also dealt with a very noxious nitrogen oxide coming from vehicles. in a relevant situation, more power should be given to that european commission. but back then many colleagues were against it. listening to you today, dear colleagues, i hope that you have changed your mind now because
7:02 pm
negotiations are only just beginning. let us not panic, however. commissioner, i agree that we need to thoroughly look into the e.u. market and to see how regulations are complied with. we need to rebuild consumer confidence among the business people in the sense they are not cheating us and information in vehicle specifications may be needed to restore the confidence to the e.u. and nationally to see that they truly oversee the e.u. law. the commission needs to be able to measure the actual use of carbon. it's not a secret that car tests failed to meet that test requirements. >> one minute.
7:03 pm
>> i must say that i am a little surprised. you seem very relaxed regarding this council. your approach is a very relaxed one. you seem to have a lot of trust in terms of the types of approval authorities of different states. this is not how i see competition. those who have the lowest standards are given private place -- that is not right. what about a european type of institution? surely, that would be a logical conclusion. i hope we will be able to talk about this in connection with revolution before this chamber. we aim to put this on paper. we know this from the field of medicine, approval of medicines, there you have european authorities cooperating and the u.s. authorities working
7:04 pm
together with us on this. if information has been provided, when and why, when were you informed of the scandal, at what point in time, how, etc. our colleague made a very valid point in that respect. the offer of the environmental agency that should have been looking at this. the national authorities, the german authorities, zero tests were implemented in the right way. what about the joint research center. what about the possibility of testing vehicles? did that happen? i am asking if any tests were carried out and what happened? >> president and commissioner, let me remind you that the information we have shows that
7:05 pm
such manipulation using cheating devices at the time of the test concern nearly 11 million vehicles by vw, but it could be much wider than that, and i would not be surprised if it concerns other companies as well. now the question arises, whether it is not a result of our ambition to reduce emissions in transports. to reduce the carbon emissions in all of the sectors of european industry. the largest companies, richest companies manipulated and cheated during tests, and that is harmful to the health of our citizens and the environment. that is unacceptable because the costs are borne mainly by consumers and the average citizens pay out of their own
7:06 pm
pocket for the ambitious environmental standards, but also for our ambition to gain as much as possible. that would be users and citizens who should know the truth and find out what really happened in the case of volkswagen. we need proper investigation but we also need to draw conclusions to avoid such situations in the future. thank you. >> two minutes. [speaking foreign language]
7:07 pm
>> excuse me. is everything ok? can we hear the english interpreting? could you please start? >> commissioner, ladies and gentlemen, obviously what has happened is not justifiable. however, it is not for us today to place a verdict on the european car industry or eliminate the sector. what we have to do is to renew consumer trust so that all of those who are in the e.u. or who would like to buy a car have totally accurate information about it.
7:08 pm
in order to do this, we have to act immediately, not only in the european car industry, but also across the institutions and we also have to try to rationally calm down those provoked by this problem and to put down very clear and practical solutions. therefor, i welcome your ideas to put together a stricter and more accurate rules for vehicle emissions testing which at the same time take into account also the interests of car industry and also our consumers. that is why i call for the commission to put in place as soon as possible finalized proposal regarding procedures for real driving emissions and to propose results that include requirements and performance elements for these tests.
7:09 pm
legislation for this area should not leave any room for interpretation. it is important to pay attention if we are unable to consistently require that our laws are strictly respected. they will find it very difficult to explain to our citizens that we are capable of defending their rights and our interests. thank you. >> ladies and gentlemen, i would like to say that this need not have happened. in the czech republic, we have had intervention in place for a number of years that eliminates 70% of motor vehicle emissions. it can be applied to any vehicle type regardless of age. so even old vehicles will then comply with the relevant emission norms.
7:10 pm
but in the european commission, and the european commision has not seen this. i have tried to propose it for several years to no avail. then there are double standards. how come, they had to replace 11 million gearboxes throughout the world and nothing happened? how come there was the air bag scandal which killed people -- how come -- >> it is clear that volkswagen has deliberately broken the law.
7:11 pm
i'm sorry, the light is on. it is clear that volkswagen has deliberately broken the law. it is clear that volkswagen has deliberately misled both regulators and consumers. but we must understand the regulatory environment in which this scandal has emerged. the truth is legislators were consumed by climate hysteria and carbon-phobia, and the result was we pushed to diesel. in fact, co2 emissions are only marginally below control, and co2 is not a pollutant. as we are now realizing, diesel's other pollutants are highly toxic and our dashboard diesel has done more harm than good. vw found that it was unable to
7:12 pm
meet emissions targets, so it decided to cheat. it was wrong to do so, but so were we combat legislators, wrong to impose conflicting demands on the industry. i see a parallel with our ill- judged rush to promote biofuels before we understood the impact of indirect land-use change. by mandating 10% biofuels and then rolling back later, we sent confused signals to industry. this is not a time for schadenfreude. with the prospect of multimillion dollar fines in several countries, recall costs, class actions, and so on, it is
7:13 pm
inconceivable that vw could fail. that is an outcome we should all seek to prevent. >> thank you. i do apologize, i missed your name. >> can i summarize your speech of eight minutes -- we are on top of it, sleep well, parliament. that is how i summarize your speech. i really have problems there. because the epa in the united states, when they were investigating, was there no contact at all between washington and brussels what they were doing and the staff did not know anything? it is really hard to believe. you have to be more precise on the actions you are taking now. first of all, on the investigation, can you confirm that this investigation is
7:14 pm
broader to the other substances like co2 where you see a growing gap between tests and reality? now, because of this scandal, we're going to look at it again. where exactly are you going to look again? thirdly, on the new tests, can you please deny that at this moment the commission is putting forth a test of 1.6? i hope you can say is not in the cards. to the person who said we were ambitious, the standard of the e.u. is 80 milligrams per kilometer. in the u.s., it is 43, in california, 35. who is more ambitious now? >> would you accept a blue card?
7:15 pm
30 seconds. >> thank you very much, madam president. i would like to argue with you. why do i disagree with you? these are man-made standards, so we have to be very careful. if you comply with these standards, you're a good guy. if you don't, you are a bad guy. if you're a carmaker and you burn fuel, you are a bad guy no matter what. should europe move toward non-petrol cars or not? >> it is very simple. we impose the standards for our safety, for public health. if the car industry cannot comply with it, then maybe they
7:16 pm
should not going into diesel. on the basis for the standards for our own safety -- those standards we agreed upon, for example this 80, which is not very ambitious, was done in 2007 and they already knew that new tests would be coming. the car industry knows this for eight years and they have not done anything apart from cheating with the software. that should be addressed. >> thank you, president. i own a turbodiesel, which i bought after the european standards -- the others were too pollutant. i had to go to volkswagen. but volkswagen is the first and foremost car manufacturer in the world at the moment.
7:17 pm
but if mrs. merkel, who commands the whole globe, i wondered she should explain to me how this all works. couldn't she come here and tell me what has happened? did she not know what is going on with volkswagen? did she or not? i think, in the history of europe -- >> i don't think that the t-shirt you are wearing is apt for this. your t-shirt is not apt for this at all. the speaker has now stopped.
7:18 pm
>> dear colleagues, the volkswagen scandal is both an environmental one, but also a political one. we need to find the number of cars circulating in the e.u. with this software and we are also wondering whether volkswagen was the only company that installed such software and what measures are we to take to this does not happen again. despite the fact that there are connections between volkswagen and the german government. chancellor merkel is supporting the car industry in germany, but perhaps that might mean that they are also supporting companies that are deceiving the european citizens and the european institution. supporting these companies, despite numerous scandals, at
7:19 pm
the same time they are asking for austerity from countries in the south. it is unacceptable to see germany. we have to punish volkswagen as soon as possible. thank you. >> thank you, president, commissioner, ladies and gentlemen. those responsible at vw wanted to save money, but they were saving money at the cost of the environment. nitrous oxide, one of the causes for ozone in the atmosphere, and it leads to other health problems. through its mistakes, some of the people there are responsible for that. there is an economic cost to that, which of course is -- has outweighed, by far, the money they saved. it has also harms people who are
7:20 pm
innocent, the staff who work there, the suppliers, and the consumers. i think they need to be punished, those who are responsible. the ceo, still makes a claim for his full pension, and in the volkswagen group he is still active. how come our authorities haven't uncovered this fraud when there are 8 million vehicles affected in the e.u. and only 400,000 in the u.s.? i would ask use a bit of energy, not just rely on the national authorities. we will have to peek into some corners. you can't just denigrate diesel. some people use it because they drive long distances. in economic terms, i don't think we can just leave diesel behind.
7:21 pm
in environmental terms, we need to look at making it clean. it is possible. if vw kept euro 6, that would be fine. the euro 5 was the problem. the final point, we need to think of local authorities as well. >> could you wind up, please? >> thank you, president. we are dealing with a series of scandals here. the fraud perpetrated was a scandal. it must be investigated. we have to rely on the u.s. to reveal what was happening. another scandal is the fact that
7:22 pm
the epa did not notify the commission, or indeed, it is a scandal if the european commission was notified and kept still. we would like to hear from you, our commissioner, as to what exactly happened here. as for the other issues that arise, we need to put an end to lab-based tests alone. we need real-life tests that are actually reflective of what happens on the roads. road tests will not be enough. we live in a digital world. we have so many different software devices. it is not enough to have on-road testing. we need to look at the various software that can be installed. commissioner, i would be interested to know what you plan to do along these lines. you did not mention anything
7:23 pm
about such software in your introduction. that is something we will need to consider as it comes to organizing such tests. >> thank you, madam president. this is a very complex issue, but i want to talk about it very simply from the perspective of the nec vote. this will be at the next session of plenary in a couple weeks time. the information that has come to us you might think it closes into disarray. far from it. we know all of this. the only bit that is a surprise is just quite how devious and criminal volkswagen has been. we know the testing doesn't work. in fact, a presentation from the commission set out quite graphically in numbers how it hadn't worked over the last
7:24 pm
three iterations of euro standards. this is no surprise to anyone. so maybe, i am the only member who is actually pleased this has happened, because i am pleased that everybody is now talking about one of the major issues, one of the major scandals that we need to deal with. indeed, we have highlighted our dissatisfaction with it as it currently stands, and we have put into our report that we expect the commission to come up with new proposals on approval that actually work in real life, immediately. so it is with some disappointment that i listen, because while she is not personally responsible, she would have had the opportunity here and now --
7:25 pm
two minutes. dredncer: tonight, in 1830 scott was a slave to a doctor. the doctor was assigned to duties in several free states them during which scott married. followed the case of scott cases,"ord in "landmark marthae special guest jones. ruling byplore this revealing the life and times of the people who were the plaintiffs, lawyers, injustices. landmark cases, tonight at 9:00 eastern. join the conversation as we take your calls come and facebook markcases.sing #land
7:26 pm
for background on each case, copy of "landmark cases" at www.c-span.org /landmarkcases. journalr: "washington " will be at the montgomery county correctional facility. >> what we found was the need of offenders differs from the mainstream population. that is why we are here. the earlier we can start preparing your them, the more likely they will get employment.
7:27 pm
we begin eight months before they get released. >> we recruit them. this is a voluntary program. up to come to our program, so what we do is we go to the unit and week out the inmates who are soon to be customers what is available here, what things they can do, so it is eight months or less on their sentence, they cannot be pretrial, and they cannot be detained in the jurisdiction. those are the individuals eligible. the program consists of a six weeks of job readiness cannot search, and professional diploma. we tried to do everything. our job is to get them life ready. >> many do not have previous work experience. they have to talk about their
7:28 pm
charges. they do not have to explain -- we do not have to explain about our record. it is confidence. we prepare them on how to go and sell themselves to an employer that i can do the job. when the customers see us, they work with us for a number of months. it's good for them to have individuals come from within the community and work with them so they can get a feel for different personalities, individuals who can see they are willing to help them. it is important for the community to see what we are dealing with, because sometimes this can be a scary environment, so you automatically will be afraid to deal with ex -offenders. now they are working toward
7:29 pm
their opportunity to be a taxpaying citizen. that is the benefit of individuals coming from the outside. announcer: tomorrow, correction department director robert green will talk about what is working in the corrections system. live tomorrow morning starting at 7:30 eastern on "washington ."urnal here ca announcer: president on .nti-immigrant sentiment julian castro introduces the president at the hispanic caucus gala. castro: good evening.
7:30 pm
it is an honor to share the stage with linda sanchez. let's give her a big roundabout of applause. i want to thank those of you who are bolstering latino employment to out the nation. in 2009, our next speaker came community to be great challenges of our time. he promised to make health care a right, not a luxury for the lucky few. to improve our schools so that more young people make that proud walk across the graduation stage and into the greater future, to stop promoting an economy that only benefits a few and start investing in smart, sustainable growth that works
7:31 pm
for everyone, from the factory worker, to the schoolteacher, to the small business owner. 's said that our nation's success has long dependent on our willingness to see our challenges as ones that we have to face together and our willingness to live up to a simple ideal -- we are all americans. and it is clear it was not just rhetoric. on issue after issue, he has delivered. in the families who cannot afford to take their children for regular doctor visits, the young people who are ready to succeed in our highly , andtitive global economy the mother who got a pink slip in 2008, but now gets paychecks for her new job created in america's growing economy. the president has also taken
7:32 pm
bold action on immigration, using the force of his office to allow millions of undocumented immigrants to come out of the shadows while continuing to fight for comprehensive immigration reform. as one of the founders of this great caucus, former congressman henry gonzalez once said, " people will respond to you if they can believe what you say, people will trust you if you keep your word." this president came into office saying -- spanish] seven years later, the verdict is -- [speaking spanish] he has championed issues for latinos like no one has done in the office before, and i am proud all of us can say --
7:33 pm
[speaking in spanish] please join me in welcoming a for, theproud to work best friend of latinos have had in the oval office, and the 44th president of the united states, president barack obama. chief" plays] president obama: i love you back,' -- back.
7:34 pm
it is good to be here. thank you, secretary kaster, not just for the introduction of but for the great work he is doing on behalf of the american people every single day. thank you to your chair, and the sanchez, for her outstanding leadership in the congress. thank you to all of you for having me here tonight. i would like to begin my remarks with a story. >> i love you. love you,obama: i too. on anything about 75 years ago in the neighborhood of los , a young man proposed to the woman of his dreams.
7:35 pm
any of us who have done that -- and i have -- no at that moment he was feeling pretty nervous, and fortunately for him, she said yes. apparently he was making the kind of money i was proposed,n i will to celebrate they went to a hot dog stand. things were simpler back then. but things took a wrong turn. suddenly pulled up, lined them up, patted them down, demanded to see their i.d. 's, just because they were mexican-american. when the young man handed over his wallet, the officer pulled the car out of it and drop them on the sidewalk, and said now you pick them up.
7:36 pm
i rumored getting on my knees and picking them up, that young man said decades later. and we can imagine his fear in his humiliation, what had been a beautiful day, had suddenly occurrencesample of that were happening far too often, and imagine how easy it would've been for him to turn to despair and to allow the anger and the resentment defeat a cynicism, and for him to decide that america could never change. ed that young man was named ed never lost faith in himself or in his country. and less than 25 years after he was brought to his knees on the street of los angeles, ed stone
7:37 pm
toer the capitol dome represent those same street in the congress of the united states. he dedicated his life to the idea that america can change, that our union can become more perfect. today his legacy lives on, not only in the legislation he passed and the improvements he made in his district, but also in his daughter, lucio, who is here tonight. and he helped start the congressional hispanic caucus because he knew we are stronger together than we could ever be alone. that is the same reason iran for this office eight years ago, not because i believed in what i could do, because i believed in what we could do together. the financial crisis had not
7:38 pm
even hits yet, and became to understand it was going to make our job a lot harder. but thanks to the members of the hispanic caucus, thanks to people like nancy pelosi, who is thanks toere tonight, the determination and fundamental optimism of the american people, we have made progress. when i took office, the unemployment rate was on its way 0%.10 to unemployment rate went up 13%. we have brought that down to 6.4%. when i took office we were losing 800,000 jobs a month. today our businesses have created for a record 67 months in a row, more than 13 million new jobs overall. when i took office more than 50%
7:39 pm
of americans, including nearly lastn three hispanic health insurance today. insurance today. only 9.2% of americans are uninsured. on record,st time more than 90% of americans have health insurance. for the first time insurance companies cannot discriminate against anybody with a pre-existing condition. when i took office, we were still too often stuck in a cold war mentality that began before many of us were even born. today for the sake of our people and our entire hemisphere, we have reestablished relations with cuba, we have turned the page on the failed policies of the past, we have strengthened our relationship with latin america, we put forward a plan to invest $1 billion in central
7:40 pm
america. when i took office hard-working young people, americans in every way but on paper, lived in constant fear of deportation. dreamerse than 680,000 live and study and work freely and openly in the country have always called home. we got smarter enforcement priorities because it makes no sense to focus on separating families when we can be going after felons instead. we're taking new steps to reach out to folks who are eligible to become citizens and attract immigrant entrepreneurs and educate stem students. we will help more husbands and their green cards without separating them from their families. and the deferred action policies i announced last your will help
7:41 pm
millions of mothers and fathers remain in the united state with their families and although it is taking longer than we hoped, i know we're on the right side of the law, and we are going to keep fighting to prove it. we have not onwon every battle. when this and extolled as we cannot change our country for the better, they were wrong. there are more job openings today than at any time in our history. nearschool dropout rate is the lowest on record, and latinos dudes making some of the -- 19 oh students are making some of the fastest -- latino students are making some of the fastest gains. down, whichcy is makes you wonder, what are some of the folks who are running for
7:42 pm
my office so down on america? i am definitely not doing that. by most measures, we are better off now than we were seven years ago. and that we know. none of that comes up in their debates. they have invented this new reality, where everything was terrific back in 2008, when the rates were rising and dreamers lived in fear of deportation and we were engaged into wars, that was the golden era apparently. and then i came along and messed it all up. and now when you listen to them, what theydo know not
7:43 pm
are for, etc. back the clock on the work we've done together. repealing obamacare, cutting wall street reform, allowing power plants to pollute the air that children breathe, and it was nowhere where they want to go further backwards than on immigration. it was not that long ago that my bush, asor, george w. republican, a conservative republican from texas, with whom i disagree with only whole lot of things, made immigration reform one of his core priorities. we cannot build a unified country, he said, citing people anger or playing on anyone's fears or exporting the issue of immigration for political gain. that is what he said. ourk how much better economy would be, if the rest of his party got the message. of how much better
7:44 pm
accounting would be a if republican politicians and not spent years trying to scare immigrants flooding across there are borders and destroying america as we know it, even though when you look at what is happening at the borders, it is the lowest rates of immigration we have seen since the 1970's. a clear majority of america ns that is one of the reasons why we got a bipartisan bill to the senate in 2013. now some of the very same republican politicians who championed reform in the past, some of whom sponsored these efforts, suddenly they want nothing to do with it. hmm. and in the circumstances, i always say, don't boo, vote.
7:45 pm
[cheers] they cannotama: hear the booze, but they can't hear your vote. the point is that is not leadership. turning against what is right, the moment the politics of your base gets tough. leadership is not fanning the flames of intolerance and then act surprised when a fire breaks out. saying inflammatory things and then saying that is not what i meant, until you do it again and again and again. so we have got to decide whether or not we as americans are willing to stand up against this kind of bigotry, the same spent apulse that ed lifetime fighting against, the
7:46 pm
anti-immigrant settlement that has infected our politics is wrong. it was directed at irish folk. it was directed against italians. there have been generations of immigrants that have been subject to this same kind of attitude, with some of the same stereotypes. it was not right then. it is not right now. [applause] president obama: and unless you were one of the first americans, charity, are navajo or somebody -- or cherokee, somebody from somewhere came from someplace else. i believe we need an immigration system that is fair and orderly and lawful. people who come here
7:47 pm
legally should have to pay a fine and pay their fair share of taxes get registered and get right with the law and go to the back of the line before they earned citizenship. when i hear folks talking about this, somehow those kids are different from my kids, as if they are less worthy in the eyes of god, that their families are less worthy of our respect and consideration and care, as if somehow that back in the day everybody had their papers in order when he came here, but now suddenly nobody has their papers in order. i believe we are better than that. if you want to be taken seriously as a leader, you cannot be against everything. you got to the for something. you cannot just feed on fear. -- you should be feeding go.
7:48 pm
you should be allowed dreamers to live without fear in the country they love. you should tell the truth, which is that illegal border crossings are lower than they had been in decades and a common is a greek immigration does not hurt our are -- it grows our economy, raising jobs for america. you do not hear those facts very often, but those are facts. and you have got to recognize doesamerica's greatness not come from building wall street our greatness comes from building opportunity. our greatness comes from building an economy that works for everybody. our greatness comes from a dream that says if you work hard, you can build a better life for your family, no matter what your last name is, no matter what you look like. that is what makes america great. every daying to spend
7:49 pm
that i have left in this office fighting to restore it that dream, that everyone who works hard can get ahead. and, yes, that includes immigration reform. but that is not all we have got to do. got to keep creating good jobs, make sure every family feels in their owning lives, and that includes we gots in puerto rico, to make two years of college as free and universal as high school is today, we've got to stop spending billions of taxpayer dollars keeping nonviolent drug offenders behind bars and give them a chance to get right and back on the right track. we've got to make sure that every child is a world-class education, from the earliest stage, that every person who is still uninsured gets covered, that every school on every street is safe from the madness of gun violence. [cheers]
7:50 pm
and this change will not be easy because change never is. change is never easy. it takes longer than one year. it takes longer than one term. tenure ofer than the one president. but what we together have shown and proved is when we stick together and put her shoulders to the wheel of history, not only is change possible, change is inevitable. america can change, and if we keep dreaming of something better and organizing for something better, if we keep voting for something better together we will build on the progress we've made. we will create a brighter future for our children. [speaking in spanish] president obama: thank you.
7:51 pm
thank you. spanish] in president obama: god bless america. ["hail to the chief" plays] ["the washington post" plays]
7:52 pm
7:53 pm
7:54 pm
plays] berty bell"
7:55 pm
7:56 pm
"washington journal"
7:57 pm
will be live from the montgomery county correctional facility tomorrow. how to explain my charges, how to explain my situation, how to write a letter of explanation, learning how to get an employereak to and explained my charges before they judge me before i get the job. explain the job, how to dress them how to talk, how to withhold information that is not needed to be given. the employer, we have talked, and he already knew more about me, so i felt comfortable explaining what i'm here for and what my goals are, and when he came here, he said he already knew some stuff about me. like now, i am just working.
7:58 pm
i got the job, and i soon as i got up, not even a week later, three or four days later, i started working, and now i have job and i can one take that experience and go to the next one and still go back and connect with the workforce and asked them to help me out and they will gladly step up and help me come and they have already given me suggestions. if i want to do something different, even go to school, finding a job, even finding like areas that can help meet with other problems that i may have or anything, those doors are open. tomorrow, robert greenberg talk about what is working and what is not in the corrections system. jochum will talk about prisoner rehabilitation and job training. tomorrow at 7:30 eastern on c-span's "washington journal." "road to there
7:59 pm
white house coverage" tomorrow. jeb bush is in manchester talking about health care at 10:00 a.m. eastern on c-span. governor is in the afternoon at 12:30 also on c-span. announcer: c-span has your coverage of the "road to the where you will6" find candidates, speeches, debates, and questions. this year we are taking her courage into classrooms with our student cam contest, giving students the opportunity to discuss what issues they wanted her most from the candidates. coverage onnt cam tv, the radio, and online at www.c-span.org.
8:00 pm
announcer: next, we here from martin o'malley and lindsey graham. cases"our, "landmark continues. tonight, we look at dred scott. that is live at 9:00 eastern. fromncer: now, remarks former governor martin o'malley. the democrats served as baltimore's mayor and spoke about leadership. this is part of the no labels conference in new hampshire. >> we have governor o'malley all ready to go. cut my t to

8 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on