Skip to main content

tv   Key Capitol Hill Hearings  CSPAN  November 5, 2015 5:00pm-7:01pm EST

5:00 pm
democrat, ok, here's what we have been able to build over the last seven years, are you willing to continuity? if they say yes, now you've got something that you can hold them accountable to. applause] moderator: since we have more time, would you like to ask your second question? >> yes. i just wanted to let you know that i lost four friends to suicide since middle school. and i want to know how your administration can support health and mental wellness of native youth and our veterans. they're obama: well, two different groups. veterans have some very specific needs. and through the v.a. we are really focusing on this.
5:01 pm
and in the department of defense, when people are still in uniform, we're focused on this. letting people know that it's not a weakness, it's a strength for you to seek out help when you are suffering from severe depression or other, you know, challenges like that. with respect to young people, you know, i'd be interested -- this is one where i think i'd really like to hear from all of you. because this is a story i hear too often. when i was at standing rock, i mean, it was just -- the number of stories that i heard was heartbreaking. and we can provide more resources, and we are doing so, i've asked sali and others to really focus on how do we prevent suicide a, addiction, provide more mental health
5:02 pm
services and counseling, but i think i'd love to hear from you guys who are in it. what you think would make the biggest difference. what you think would be most helpful. since you asked it, why don't you -- >> i feel like it's very taboo to speak about it in native american communities, especially the older adults might think that it is. but i feel like the youth are really ready to speak about it and i feel like there should be a little bit more support in the school system. because some of the schools i've actually got to work with, on the reservation they don't have after-school programs. they have -- they're really strict on education, but there's really nothing that can connect you to your culture after school. or teach you some of your traditions after school. but i feel like some of these are very important to youth. there might be some kind of
5:03 pm
cultural identity or identity loss and some of them might be confused and feel like there's no help. logical explanation that they might have or they might think is maybe suicide. or me, i want to i guess prevent suicide. and i'm in theater, i do theater, i love theater. i try to do a lot of that in my work and try to understand why these youth think the only answer is suicide. it could be something at home like abuse, child abuse. or just their parents might be alcohols or something. but no one really speaks to these kids. president obama: anybody else want to offer some thoughts? >> i think talking about suicide is very crucial. it should be talked about. we should knock down the stigma of talking about your problems. a lot of people look at it as
5:04 pm
's a sign of weakness and it isn't. it's actually like you said stated, a sign of strength. i lost a friend, a very good friend. he was at prep school and he came home and he committed suicide. i never -- you know, we constantly searched for the answers but the answer usually is that -- it's that stigma. you don't want to be -- be looked at as a weak person. i think we need to knock down that barrier. and have it be known that talking about it isn't a sign of weakness. president obama: anybody else have any thoughts on this? >> i do. i'd like to shout out to my friend jasmine over here. because she did the warrior circle project and -- president obama: hey, jasmine. [applause] what's the warrior circle project? >> as she explains it, she helps children that think about
5:05 pm
suicide and also have problems within schools, right? and she talks about them because people can actually connect to youth more, like youth to youth, instead of youth to adult. so i just thought that was a good project to bring up because i work with her. president obama: absolutely. that's great. [applause] any other thoughts on this? >> through my experience of traveling and speaking and seeing a lot of native americans across the country, i've also come to realize that, and growing up and living on a reservation, i've realized that young native americans do struggle with -- whether it's emotional or mental or physical abuse, i know that it can be frustrating being a young native american in a society that you feel like you really are the minority and things like that. but i just feel like we as native people need a resource or need an outlet and a lot of
5:06 pm
the times i feel like young native americans are scared to speak about it. whether it's because they feel like they're weak or because -- whatever the reason might be. but i know it's easier said than done. but there is -- we need to get through to them to let them know that that really isn't the answer and you need to find somebody to talk to. how do we get that through to them? president obama: one of the things, i talked about generation indigenous. the goal is to get native american youth leaders to be able to network with each other nationally. and then we're trying to set up a youth network digitally, through the internet. so that if there's a good idea, like the one that tatiana was just talking about, a program that we know is working, then somebody across the country can learn about it and try to set p a similar model.
5:07 pm
and share ideas. and i think one of the things that i'm hearing a lot of you guys say something that, making sure that young people are supporting each other is really important. because adults have to be there, but i will tell you from my experience talking to malia and sasha, that sometimes when i'm talking to them, i sound ike -- you guys ever see "charlie brown christmas"? [laughter] wha-wha-wha. you can tell they're just looking at me but the words make no sense to them. but i think that how their peers are supporting them and talking to them and encouraging them, a lot of times can make even more of a difference than what they're hearing from adults. obviously if somebody's got a severe depression, that's a medical issue. and they may need medical
5:08 pm
hefment -- help. if somebody even at a young age already has an addiction, they need help. if they are experiencing abuse in the home, then they need adult help and law enforcement help to prevent that. and you're right. it has to be talked about. and we have to be honest about it. ut sometimes with young people , you know, everything is magnified. you're just going through a lot of stuff, especially in the teenage years. and just having friends and people your age who are bucking you up and supporting you and listening to you and relating to what you're going through, that a lot of times can make danchese -- a difference before it gets worse. so we're going to see how we can help facilitate more of those youth communities around the country.
5:09 pm
>> just to add on to what you were saying about when i was in high school, i was a senior, we had program called sources of strength. that's what it was. it was a student to student peer, you know, if you were getting bullied, if there were problems at home, you could speak about it. because there's that barrier. it's hard for a student to speak to a teacher about it. for a student to talk to another student, it was mauricier and a lot of the students were able to relate to it because they might have experienced it in their life at some point. that seemed to work very well. president obama: good. moderator: that concludes our question and answer session. i would just like to thank you, mr. president, and each of our panelists for being up here with us today. president obama: let's give everybody a big round of applause. [cheers and applause] all right. ood job.
5:10 pm
i'm supposed to make closing remarks. the only thing i want to say in closing is just, this is an example of the incredible of our nd potential young people. and it's true in every tribe as cross the country. we have a huge stake as a country in making sure that they get opportunity, that their voices are heard. and i want to be a partner with you to make sure that every possible door is open to them. ok? they inspire me. you guys inspire me. you make me feel good. thank you, everybody. come on. get a good picture. come on. [cheers and applause] come on. stand stand right here. these guys are going to take our picture right here. [captioning performed by the national captioning institute, which is responsible for its caption content and accuracy. visit ncicap.org] [captions copyright national cable satellite corp. 2015]
5:11 pm
5:12 pm
>> president obama speaking to some of the young tribal leaders in washington, d.c. members attending from 150 recognized u.s. tribes. the theme at this seventh annual event, native american youth. speaking at the reagan building n washington, d.c.
5:13 pm
5:14 pm
>> and this weekend on c-span's news makers, refugees fleeing syria. we'll talk with andrew: richard, assistant secretary of state, for population refugees and migration. news makers, sunday at 10:00 .m. and 6:00 p.m. on c-span. >> about whom will you next write think? thought, there is only one person about whom i would write if i were to write a second biography. i remembered bonhoffer. did i write that book. >> i thought, i'm going to be standing next to the president
5:15 pm
speaking to 3,500 of the most important people in the world in this room here in d.c. who knows how i'll feel in the moment? i don't know. so i had the idea that i might do that. i thought, maybe i'll give him the books later. but if i feel, you know, as a new yorker, i'll use the word hudsba, if i feel that in the moment to be able to pull off the goofyness, i'll do it. >> this sunday night, author and radio host eric on his writing career, his best lling biography of deet rick bofhoffer and his crossover between religion and politics. >> i think it's everyone needs to vote but never to make what we christians would call an idol of politics. there are people that have done that and they're worshiping that idol rather than the god who would cause them to care for the poor and injustices.
5:16 pm
it's a fine line. it's something i talk about fairly often. >> sunday night at 8:00 eastern and pacific on c-span's q&a. >> all campaign long, c-span takes you on the road to the white house. unfiltered access to the candidates, at town hall meetings, news conferences, rallies and speeches. we're taking your comments on twitter, facebook and by phone. and always every campaign event we cover is available on our website at c-span.org. republican candidate marco rubio was in new hampshire. the florida senator spoke with young business leaders at a college in manchester for about 45 minutes. everybody,
5:17 pm
thank you for being with us today. i'm kate, i am the president and ceo of, this is the first event of the series. we were not expecting the small house so i hope you are accountable for the next 45 minutes. the idea behind this is a partnership between state, work, play to bring a different discussion to pinnacle conversation. we want to offer you the chance to get to know senator rubio, to find out what he is like as a person and what his political policy and ideas are. we have a number of questions and we really want to have you engage throughout the course of the morning. we want to thank banc of america, we would not be here today without them. thank you very much bank of america for your sponsorship today. if your social media it is # life of the party and h. so be sure to use that #. without further ado, we would like to invite senator rubio to
5:18 pm
join us. [applause]. senator, thank you so much for being here. what we thought we would do quickly is have everyone, our moderator go around and introduce themselves. we will get right into it. you met kate wesco, she is ceo. >> i am to klein i am at the new hampshire leader, now i am out on my own as an independent writer and can indication consultant. >> i am jessica, fundamentally a mom, i raise money for programming throughout new hampshire at heat new hampshire humanities. i serve on a variety of boards.
5:19 pm
>> i mike, i am president and ceo of the greater manchester chamber of commerce. former and also a proud alumni of the college which we are pleased to welcome you here today thank you for being here. >> as you can tell, we have a full room, a lot of professionals community leaders, we prepare questions very different than what you have been asked at other events and programs. >> this is going to be very different than all of the debates you have been doing lately. by the way, our goal is moderator is to surpass the performance of some of those debate moderators that i've been getting so much attention lately. hopefully we can pull that off. what i would ask, those crazy debates, how do you recover from those? what is your process after them. is it hitting the gym, family
5:20 pm
time question i cannot imagine after one of those debates what you are feeling like and what is like for the candidate. >> will keep in perspective you are standing in an air-conditioned room for two hours. i think the only thing about it is like an adrenaline rush and coming down from that takes a couple of hours. the last few debates have been a different time zones so it has given us a few extra hours, i think the last ones were eight or 9:00 p.m. mount time. i don't do anything special. usually the next day we wake up early and that the downside of being in those time zones. you gotta get up and get going the next day so i don't have a routine to recover. the cnn debate was long, that was the three hours. i was fine.
5:21 pm
>> i don't know how you do it. congrats. >> it's a lot of fun. the first one when you got up there and went on stage, my feeling was and i been watching these on to be for years and now i'm actually in one. the first one really kind of struck me that way. the first one really impacted me just the idea that i have been watching the debate baits devitt bates for year. that took a few minutes to get used to. >> so fitting with the theme today, we had your playlist on spot a five. there is it you two in there, but fitting in with the life of the party theme, if you would host a party of 40 of the top young professional leaders around the country, what with would that party look like? where would you have it. >> well hopefully in the white house.
5:22 pm
one of the things -- i'm a fan of the early 90s hip-hop stuff , it's hard to listen to that with kids. they are talented people but not family-friendly so there is a genre you are familiar with and i mention it to other people the electronic dance music, and the good thing about is i can it is i can listen to it and there are no words so i can listen to it with my kids. so i would like to have some of that music, maybe some of those guys and gals could command, some of the performances going on around the world. >> what would you eat. >> that is a great question. i like tex-mex so something along that line.
5:23 pm
>> when you are planning your party thing, one of the questions we had was, people always ask what one politician would you want to sit down and have a beer with, but in the -- you could be president you could invite anybody to the white house, anybody alive, maybe historical too. who would you call up and say i really wanted to hang out with that person. >> i was a huge dan marino fan growing up that was from the 80s and 90s. i think there is a few there's a few interesting things happening today. iowa's mess up the last name, a
5:24 pm
young lady lala who is speaking out with global issues. i think she is maybe 18 or 190, she is very young but she put a lot of work into 18 or or 19 years of life. someone i really spoken to once in my whole life, former chess champion who was is part of the rush and actually could not return to russia today. i had a chance to speak on the phone to him a few days ago. he has a real fundamental understanding of what is happening inside of russia. and what it means for the future for our country, europe and beyond. those are a few names that come to mind. before this is over i will probably think of someone else.
5:25 pm
>> i was thinking about this race politically, you have hillary clinton burning sanders on the other side. you have a guy who says, openly i would like to bring socialism to the united states. you grew up in a community where a whole bunch of people would flee socialism. >> they would flee communism, there is a socialist democracy in europe where government provides for every aspect of your life but there is a consequence to that. they flee communism, it's a government controlled society. people are being executed and so what they would flee is beyond that. but i get your point. >> when you hear bernie sanders talk about this do you ever want to say, look bernie here is the real deal. >> you know what i appreciate about bernie, he is not trying to sugarcoat it. that is what he believes. he's not just trying to say this
5:26 pm
is not a new version of enterprise. it has gotten him reelected in the state. since there's dozens of countries around the world, we can continue to be america where we can achieve anything with hard work and perseverance. with the debate we have we truly believe, that is why we are free and open for a democratic society where we can have a debate about policies and their implications. i don't personally have a problem with bernie because he's been honest being honest with what he believes in. >> while were on the topic of foreign policy, you mentioned russia a few minutes ago, one question came to mind is a question about vladimir hooten. he comes up a lot about debates and how people will have have to deal with them.
5:27 pm
i think it's interesting because he has taken on a character within american politics and society and have seen these crazy pictures of him hunting, riding horses, wrestling tigers, there is actually some really significant and scary aspects to russia and their involvement on the world stage. how would you deal with someone like him what would be your approach? >> on the one hand he is the leader of a country that between them and us, we control over 90% of the world's nuclear weapon. climate putin is virtually undistorted symbol ahead of organized crime. he ordered the blowing up of a apartment building and blamed it on someone else. but he is also a geopolitical actor, unlike people like radical jihadists who are motivated by religious, he's
5:28 pm
motivated by political. part of it is to distract the world from ukraine and the situation there, part of it is domestic policy. he wants to appear as a strong international leader. he wants to put a rush on par with the united states, part of it is he wants to retain an air of influence in that region and syria gives him a chance to do that. so there's multiple aspects to his calculation. before he takes action he weighs the cost and benefits. he only perceives if he believes the benefits outweigh the costs. he must really do that in georgia in 2,072,008, he did it in ukraine and now it syria. as an american president our job is to change that to ensure that he realizes that the costs are higher than the benefits than any of the activity he may take. you have to understand this is not someone you will be able to find some sort of cooperative agreement with. you'll have to deal with him in ways that reflect back and forth
5:29 pm
to the cold war. until a time where there's new leadership in russian hopefully they will have a new and better future than what they have now. >> i know we'll jump around through a bunch of topics. i want to mention briefly that we want to give in some young professional issues because that is our primary audience today. if the audience has questions please raise your hand, there'll be mics that we can get you on the mike's. let's get into some of the young professional issues. >> i really think it is an american issue truly, which is financing higher education. i'm paying up my bachelors degree looking at financing my masters, and my son is a sophomore college. i am up to my eyeballs in all kinds of investments in my future. i've read about your thoughts and i know you have many approaches to addressing these issues. can you tell us about your student investment plan #. >> first let me tell you i care so much about it.
5:30 pm
i owed over $100,000 myself in fact i still owed them in 2,011. had i not been able to do that i'll still be paying that loan to my late 60s. it's not that i don't take as a good think it's a good investment but it became, especially early on was really staggering. when you look at some of the undergrad loans as well and they all added up. that's what i'm passionate about it. when it comes specific to this issue i try to be bipartisan. i don't think it needs be a to be a partisan issue. the first thing i talk about with the bill is called income -based payment which is your loan payment, the automatic method of repaying is based on how much money you make. the more you make the faster you pass the loan. the less you make the less of a burden it will be. to me it's a better approach than not collecting anything at all as the people going to default. because that runs your credit it locks you are out of home
5:31 pm
ownership, entrepreneurship and other things. the student investment plans allows you to go to the equivalent of a private investment group, the way you would with the company. you present to them who you are what your background is, what your future goals are, your resume, gpa, transcript, and they decide whether not they decide you are good investment. if that decide you are good investment than they provide for your tuition and you sign an agreement to pay back your investment for a small amount over the next 20 years. if you become successful they would make their money back with a profit. if you decide you will drop out of society move to australia and live in a tank, they made a bad investment and lost their money. the risk is on the private investment side not the student side. then the right to know, before you go this is also a bipartisan idea.
5:32 pm
what that says is before you take out a student loan, schools will be retired choir to tell you how much they make from that school with a degree they are seeking. people understand what their job prospect and earning prospectors before they spend thousands of dollars on a degree. people will make better decisions if they have access to information that informs you about what your job prospects are in the new economy with a degree that you are seeking. you can make a more informed decision about whether you should borrow that money. >> the student investment plan was a new idea had heard of. everybody's shared this with have the same question, what is the difference between indentured servitude, this is what comes to mind. >> a student loan is worse. you still all the money, the differences if you don't pay back the investment group, you have a contract and they can have legal issues where it, but
5:33 pm
if you you'll pay back a loan they will garnish your wages, it will follow you the rest to life. i think it's way better than the issue of whether you want to student alone. the student investment plan the risk is on the investment plan. if you don't make enough money to pay you back then you made a bad investment. the student loan if you borrowed $100,000, you all that and you will then tell you the day you die or pay it off. if you don't pay them, they will take your tax refund away from you, they can garnish wages, they could report you to the credit agency and to ruin your ability to finance a home or by business. if you'd go with the investment group, is optional and not mandatory and it is way better than owing to student loan.
5:34 pm
you will all that amount of money whether you would find a job or not. >> that's where i'm at i'm unable to buy a home, i'm investing my education and the next generation so i appreciate your concern. >> by the way student loan debt sits on your debt income ratio for a long time. so they say you want mortgage but you will hundred thousand dollars, you already have a mortgage, it's called a student loan. they calculate that into your income to debt ratio. it locks people out of loans to start a business, it locks out of lexi out of homeownership. >> speaking to be locked out that is something a lot of young people deal with. there is a cost of affording a home, there is bureaucratic obstacles to starting a business and starting and going on your own. these things are designed to lock you out, their hurdles to
5:35 pm
go when you talk a lot about trying to break through some of that and making it more of an opportunity society. when you talk to young people about that what you say. >> when you say government is a eyed for good people that's a myth. regulations are used by established industries to lock out competitors. industries use it because if you're a big company you control the marketplace. let's say you're the largest player in the industry, you have power. you hire lobbyists, lawyers, and you lobby governments to put in place regulations, why? because you know a small startup can comply with the regulations. they can never enter and compete against you. you see this for example in the sharing economy, in the transportation side or something else, they argue well you shouldn't allow uber or other companies because of the public safety but really they're
5:36 pm
looking at doing regulations to make it difficult for others to come in. i just got off in airplay, i know that's regularly, someone make sure the engines were, the landing gear is intact and those pilots are truly pilots, but the flipside is if you go too far in regulations it becomes a burden and a barrier to entry. what i propose is a federal regulatory budget with cap the a amount of regulations can cost our economy. what that would require agencies to do if they wanted to impose new regulations they will have to get rid of regulatory costs to stay on budget. though force a cost-benefit analysis of new regulations or existing ones.
5:37 pm
>> speaking of these massive organizations that sort of suppressing key people down. mike and i have this pretty big excitement coming up about the empire and new star wars movie, and up, you would have been about nine years old when empire strikes back comes out. >> yeah like everyone else i just got the dvd collection. my kids are caught up. >> first of all, when you're a kid who did you identify with? what action figures did you have? are you excited about taking your kids to the theater to see this? >> i didn't have the action figures, i had the death star but it kept breaking like in part two. that was my favorite, i think now that you see the whole story
5:38 pm
played out, i used to hate darth bader but not feel little sorry for them, he's probably the most fascinating character in the entire movie so i think they have done a good job, they should've started that way, they went backwards on it, so not sure, i still hate darth vader not. >> will find out in the next movie. one of the themes, with luke you had the inexperience in the whole world against him, but you can do that you're too young. in your career not to make that exact comparison, you have heard that complaint right this guys too young to be speaker of the house, too young to be a u.s. senator, too young to run for president. you have a bunch of people in
5:39 pm
this room, i think mike, myself and others include heard that when we took on positions of responsibility. is that an argument that you could work these days with the generation of gen xers and millennial's that were raised on star wars, back to the future, harry potter, do you even have to defend it these days? >> first of all, i'm 44 and my kids don't think that is very young. the second point i would make is , this is a different political climate. the country is not just living through an economic downturn, this is not a cyclical thing that is happening. we are living through a massive, rapid, economic transformation. this economy looks nothing like it did 15 years ago. >> it doesn't look like anything five years ago. not that is just different, the structure of the economy is different but the pace of change is faster.
5:40 pm
it took the telephone, next ordinary invention, 75 years for 100 million people to use it. it took candy crush one year to reach 100 million people. that's how fast things are changing. one of the largest retailers of the world, one of the largest hospitality doesn't own hotel rooms. it's a very different economy and it challenges us. we have retirement programs designed in the 30s. we have immigration in education from the 50s, energy policy from the 70s, tax policy from the 80s and 90s. the world has dramatically changed in the last five years. it's the industrial revolution happening every five years. it is important for us to have leaders that understand this. to understand that you can be a conservative but you have to apply those principles to the issues of the 21st century.
5:41 pm
it involves global competition, rapid changes of innovation and the need to modernize higher education. it is feasible that someone could graduate at 22 years of age and before your 40 have to be retrained as the industry that was cutting-edge at 22 is now obsolete. we do not have a higher education system designed to deal with that. of the higher education system was the fact that you graduated in four years any work for the same company for 40 years and you retire. first of all, you might not be an employee you might be a contractor and have five different employers. the industry that is cutting-edge today is going to be obsolete in ten years. the skills are evolving on a regular basis so we have to become lifelong learners. all of these things need to be confronted. back to your question, i think our countries in desperate need of leaders who understand the economy, we have way too many people in washington that have no idea that this is going on. they are still writing 20 century solutions to 21st century problems.
5:42 pm
>> suicide so besides star wars we want to get to know you about your personal interests. some things you do as a person, where you get your news from. i want to start with football. i know you are big football guy. i know your dolphin fan. i wasn't going to bring up that little plate to placate tweet. talk about football and you grew up playing, it is something you're passionate about. what has that meant to you and do to take any lessons of that. >> i love the game. the thing about the game and my sons play and they are young, i
5:43 pm
think it is a great teacher of life lessons. i think it is a sport that teaches people to work with others. eleven people on the field and up one of 11 do not do their job it hurts the other 11. it's doing something you are uncomfortable, i play quarterback for a few years and sometimes i had to come up and take on a run and sometimes it was painful. in a way it created a traffic jam so someone else can make a tackle. i didn't want to but i had to, and i had to do it for the other ten people i was playing with. it teaches you adversity. the best in the world will give up a play, because that's just lettuce. you have to be able to mentally come back from that and pretend that you're still the greatest player in the world in your mind. the next plays going to be right there. you have to deal with adversity. losing is a great teacher. you don't want to lose too much but losing is a great teacher. that's why the patriots don't know a lot.
5:44 pm
losing is a teacher because you learn from it, as long as you channel that disappointment it is a concrete action. this is what i took for my time in football, i think it's very deb called difficult to replicate in other sports. for me, now as an adult i try to use football and those lessons. >> i have to ask, i'm a big football fan too, -- maybe we'll just win so many games we won't have to play brady. football fans, a big discussion right now is about the concussions.
5:45 pm
i have a young son, he may have an interest in football someday and a lot of parents are asking if they want to let their kids play because of this concern about the health impact. do you have a feeling on that? >> i would say number one if your kids and don't like contact then don't force them to play. you either like contact or you don't. if they don't want to play don't make them. there are a lot of sports out there. i think kids that in young ages are playing one sport year-round, i don't think that's good for them either. we are strict about that, i have never let my kids play inside the box between the tackles. i don't let them be a running back, they have to play receiver, corner, or safety. the other is good coaching. there's good coaching .. coaching. we ensure that our kids are taught the proper technique for tackling.
5:46 pm
we spent time doing that because if you can teach kids to get their head out of the way, use shoulder, tackle the leg and up upper body, that avoids the problems. so there are things you can do to minimize the risk at a young age. there is still inherent danger in any sport where people run full speed at it other, you have soccer, cheerleading, lacrosse, flag football we have people running you people running full speed with no gear on. in a way i think there is a balancing act here and we try to make football safer. there is no activity in life that is inherently risk-free. football is one of them. it is a great game. i have they don't kill it. >> i want to go back to the big thing. when a friend of mine has a baby , or a birthday, i like to get books. i remember when i turned eight years old that i got beverly clearly's book, there are books that sort of have a impact on
5:47 pm
you. what you recall when you are younger question marks. >> my parents, i think and 82 or 83 may christmas present was the world book encyclopedia. i don't think they exist anymore. i don't know if you're old enough to remember what those are, but i remember one year we lost the d book. so i love those encyclopedias. i was not a good student and i paid for it in college, i always love to read. when i wanted to learn about something i looked at the encyclopedia. every year it would update you with a book of the year, i look back at that as an example of how much the world has changed. if i wanted to learn about
5:48 pm
something when i was younger i had to go to an encyclopedia or the school library. if a nine or 10-year-old wants to learn something now they learn it in a millisecond by going online. i also read a lot a books about cuban history because my grandfather was big on that. there is one book called cuba, it was a big book. it went all the way back to the colonial days to the 1960s. so those are things i were curious about. those books have fed the curiosity. >> what part of you u.s. history would you rewrite if you could. >> i think some of the factors that led to the great depression could have been addressed earlier. there were changes made, subsequence to that and that's an area people want to revisit. i'm not sure civil war was avoidable. if you look at a great compromise, ultimately there is
5:49 pm
going to be a conflict because slavery is a mention was always an inherent and direct conflict with the constitution. it was never compatible. even the founders understood that, that institution would have to be looked at. most early in the aftermath of slavery, for the first half of the 20th century racial discrimination was pronounced. my parents have a story, they came to america they went to new york city and were driving to miami from new york city. i don't remember the dates exactly. their car broke down in the south, it was the first chance they ever acted with segregation. cuba had cultural segregation. if you are not spanish ancestry you can join a yacht club. but it didn't have legal segregation. so for them that was a shocking experience. the reason they knew about it was because an african-american lady about a movie that was playing, while the car is being
5:50 pm
fixed they wanted to watch the movie and she said i don't know because i was not allowed in there. so i think we took too long to resolve that. the period from the end of slavery to the civil rights area. that lingered way too long. it never should have happen. happened. i think that is it. we could have avoided and dealt with much quicker, maybe never have happened. >> after 2,008, racial relations response to get better after president obama was elected. i think they got worse in a lot of ways. you talk about this a little bit , is it any think the anything the president of the united states can do and how might you, or what could be done >> the things that manifests racist and government, certainly the president is the most
5:51 pm
support figure in the country. he can call attention to major issues. these are societal issues that have deep issues that go back many years. the reality is there is a significant percentage of americans and african americans, particularly young males who feel discriminated against. if they feel that way, it is a problem. you have a significant portion of the population that deal they're being treated different than the rest of the country. i know people who feel that way. some instances i have seen it as well. it is an issue the country needs to confront. the bad news as it continues in many of our communities to have lingering effects. the good news is i think the generation of my children are a part of is probably the most, this is an anecdotal example, my son and his team is primarily african-american. i remember commenting that these kids do not know color.
5:52 pm
it is different than what i grew up because i think because they're used to growing up and assess society where there's people of different backgrounds and ethnic ethnicities that are together at that age. it will be interesting to see how that manifests itself. even when i was growing up it was a much bigger factor than it is today. i think over time it will help, in the short term i think we do need to address the reality in this country that there are millions of people who feel, because of the color of theirs again, they are followed at the mall, they are treated differently, a significant percentage of the emily's feel this way, it is an issue. i don't think the answer is to blame it on police officers who buy larger incredible people, there are bad actors in every industry, but if any of us tonight have a problem and we feel endangered, we will call 911 and a police officer will respond. respond, and willing to die, to take a bullet so that we are safe.
5:53 pm
i think it has gone too far in that direction as well. >> we have a question in front from the audience. >> take you senator for being here today. this conversation lends itself to the rhetoric that those leading the polls on the republican side are going towards. could you speak to how your experience is different from some of the others that are talking about building walls, having religious witness test who could be president of the united states. how does your background differ from others? >> one of the things i've tried to do in the campaign essay vote for me because you can't possibly vote to someone else. everyone is accountable for their own statement and you can make your decision on who you want to vote for.
5:54 pm
first, the presidency is the most unique political office on the planet and most early in the country. when you become president you have to bring your principles and values, i am running as a conservative republican, that's who i am. if i'm elected that's what i will bring. you are also the leader of the united states, our people. that means you have to act in the best interest of all people including people who will never vote for you, including those who don't like you, and say horrible things about you. you are in charge of serving the entire country. you have to put that stuff aside i only say that because the language from the presidency is different than the language of a senator, a citizen, the language from the presidency is impactful. they can drive wedges in society. i avoid and reject any language that says, in order for you to be better off you have to give
5:55 pm
me the power to make someone else worse off. that is the reason you are struggling are facing problems is because someone else is doing too well, it's their fault must target them. i don't think that's good for the country and i don't happen to believe that to be true. i want to be a president who doesn't beat into that narrative. i also want to get people, here's the way i view this campaign. i don't want my campaign to look bad it like a bad prom picture. that prompted your will you look at and say man, i cannot believe that i wore that tuxedo or my hair looked like that, i don't want my campaign to be something that my kids look at 20 years and say odette, that was on bare scene, how could if you have acted that way. i want to campaign that my children are proud of. that they can look back and say i know he wasn't home but he did this for a good reason, hopefully i will win so they know why did it.
5:56 pm
beyond that i want to campaign where people can be proud of me. whether i take the debate stage are here to today i want to give people a campaign they are proud of. to say i am proud of what he is doing. i think our country is desperate need of that. we have real problem but we have extraordinary opportunity. there is no nation i would trade places with. i think we have the greatest opportunity in history but we have to act now. >> i have a question about 20% are americans. we have been talking about going back to school, higher education and that be in the future investment per country. your focus is on the economy, my understanding is that high-paying jobs is an important outcome for you for higher education. i have a dear friend, she lives in a half million dollar home, she has a high-paying job, she is unable to explain what the
5:57 pm
florida state houses, how you got there, and more importantly what what your difference between that role in your current post is. what we do about on informed voters? >> one of the great things about free society as people decide what they're interested in. so there are topics that i'm not well informed well-informed on either. i don't know a lot about who's leading the standings. so you would love for people to be more informed because you want people to participate in the process. i think part of it as a candidate is giving people a message to pull them in so they care about what is happening. ultimately i do think they're more ways than ever to become informed. it is easier today than it has ever been to learn and what i stand for, and what the differences are. part of it is people are really busy. if you think about the life of people today the 20th century,
5:58 pm
you get up in the morning, it is 6:30 a.m. you have to get your kids ready for school, drop them off by 8:00 o'clock. then you go to work, you have to rush over and get to aftercare before it closes because it closes at 6:00 p.m. then you have to hurry home make sure there is food to eat, do homework, the backpack way so much. all the homework that they give them and then you have to make sure they are in bed and it's 10:00 p.m. and you have to do it again tomorrow. then he you talk about the situation you describe. thirty-five out of 50 states, childcare is more expensive than college and 35 out of 50 states. that's a cause people didn't have years ago. all of that way some people. when you're done you are done with all of that you're not in the mood for politics, you're tired and you have to go back and do it all again.
5:59 pm
that's if you can even go to sleep at 10:00 p.m. so, i understand that people are facing extraordinary strains of daily life. in so many ways life has become so busy compared to what it once was. technology means work doesn't leave us when we leave the office. it follows a seven days per week >> we are needing to wrap up. a real quick lightning round, bucket list items, a few things what you want to do, it might take eight years to get there for your successful. >> one of the things i want to do is visit a free cuba. and actually walk the streets were my parents grew up, visit the cemetery where my grandparents are buried. and my family is. to visit the farm that my father
6:00 pm
grew up on. i haven't been to tremendous amount of time in asia, but it is a region of the world i would like to learn more about. i think so much of the 21st century is going to happen in the asia-pacific region because of the economic growth there. i've been to a super bowl. one of my bucket list was to go to a super bowl where the dolphins are playing in it. >> might take a while. >> i got lucky, tom brady was sitting on the bench. there's probably another tom brady out there. these are ideas think that i would love to be able to do.
6:01 pm
>> final question, today's famous life of the party, to have a chance to connect with the 2030s in the swarm. what toast would you give to our party on the journey ahead, things to think about question arc. >> i think we have the opportunity to be the reason was prosperous america that has ever lived. the 21st century has been tailor-made for us as a nation and people. we have to do things to make that happen. if we do it needs to be done the 21st century will be the greatest era in the history of this country. there'll be millions of people around the world that will be able to afford to buy, trade and sell things. if we fail to do what needs to be done we are going to be the first americans to leave our children worse off than ourselves. we must choose what kind of country will be in the 21st century. if we do it needs to be done it will be greater than it has ever been. >> well, with that we are out of time.
6:02 pm
on behalf of the panel, thank you for being here. thank you to bank of america for their support in making this possible. i want to thank you senator for joining us and doing this with us. thank you very much [applause]. >> all campaign long, c span takes you on the road to the white house. unfiltered access to the candidates at town hall meetings, news conferences, rallies and speeches. we're taking your comments on twitter, facebook, and by phone and always, every campaign event we cover is available on our website at c-span.org. >> every weekend, the c-span networks feature programs on politics, nonfiction books and american history. as the nation commemorates veterans day, saturday, starting at 11:00 a.m. eastern, american history will be live from the national world war ii museum in new orleans as we look back 70
6:03 pm
years to the war's end and its legacy. we'll tour the museum exhibits and take your calls and tweets. starting this week and every sunday morning at 10:00, our new program road to the white house rewind takes a look at past presidential campaigns through arkivel footage this sunday will feature ronald reagan's 1979 presidential campaign announcement on c-span, saturday night at 8:30, the steam boat freedom conference debate, the effect of legalized marijuana in colorado and other states around the country. sunday evening at 6:30, our road to the white house coverage continues with former maryland governor and democratic presidential candidate martin o'malley who will speak at a town hall meeting at university of new hampshire in durham and saturday afternoon on c-span2's book tv, starting at 4:00 eastern it's the boston book festival, featuring nonfiction author presentations including jessica stern on the terrorist group isis, joe klein and his
6:04 pm
book "charlie mike" about two iraq and afghanistan war veterans who user that military discipline an values to help others. and james wood and his book "the nearest thing to live" on the connection between fictional writing and life. saturday night at 11:00, a -- sunday night at 11:00, a buck discussion with former massachusetts first lady ann romney on her book about her journey with multiple sclerosis. get the entire ski jowl at c-span.org. with john boehner's resignation from the house of representatives, ohio governor john cacic has scheduled an election to fill the vacant seat. mr. boehner represented ohio's eighth district in southwestern ohio. it spanned six counties and includes the cities of troy and westchester. paul ryan today held his first
6:05 pm
weekly news conference as speaker of the house. he talked about how he plans to run the house of representatives, and seek input from rank and file members. and the new speaker answered questions about a potential government shutdown in december, the transpacific trade deal and defunding planned parenthood. this is just over 10 minutes. mr. ryan: it's been a great week in the people's house. we just completed the work on a bipartisan highway bill. it cuts waste. it prioritizes good infrastructure. it will help create good-paying jobs. and it is a result of a more open process. over these last four days, the house has debated more amendments than in the last four months combined.
6:06 pm
on this bill, chairman shuster worked through more than 100 amendments on the floor. when his father had this bill on the floor in 1998, there were five amendments. this is a good start. it's a glimpse of how we should be doing the people's business. but we still have a ways to go. this morning, the house republican conference held a policy conference to discuss the weeks ahead. most notably, the government runs out of money on december 11. normally, we wouldn't be talking about this yet. it's november. i'm sure someone, somewhere would be writing a bill, but only when the deadline approached would anyone actually see the legislation. at that point, the bill would be prenegotiated and the outcome predetermined. that's no way to conduct the people's business. so here is what we're going to do. the house has already passed six appropriations bills. negotiations on those bills are already under way.
6:07 pm
as for the remaining bills, chairman rogers of the appropriations committee and his members will hold a series of executive sessions with our members. at these sessions, every member will have the chance to review each bill and give their input on their priorities. we've never done this before. but that's how we should work. from now on, that's how we will work. questions. mr. ryan: i know who most of you are, but just give me the name and who you're with. >> i want to ask you on the floor just now, they were asking a question, did they prefer bringing back up the financial services bill stand alone and would they vote for it. what's the thinking behind that and what's the likely we could ee that? mr. ryan: things will be done differently around here. we're going to open up this process. i laid before our conference today a choice of options.
6:08 pm
instead of having leadership predetermine, prenegotiate, and predecide how things are going to go, i wanted to invite our members of the conference to discuss how we move forward. we've got a tight deadline with appropriations. we're already past the fiscal year. so because we want to reopen the appropriations process, because we want to bring the article 1 powers back, the power of the purse back to the legislative branch, we're trying to figure out how to do that. instead of me deciding in the capitol how it's going to be, i wanted to lay out options in front of our conference so together we could deliberate and decide. that's what our conference is about. so we are asking our members how they want to proceed going forward. i don't know the results of that. they're still tallying it right now. but again that is how this is going to be we're going to make this a more open process and members will have a say-so early in the process on how we move forward. >> even before you got into the
6:09 pm
speaker's race, there was some skepticism of what you were going to do based on the trade ill. you worked so hard to get that framework through if that falls through, something you can accept at the end of the day once you get into the time frame, does it put you in a crosswind because you also want hat? and you were hoping the administration would help you a pass that and on the other hand you're criticizing the administration on immigration. mr. ryan: trade is very important for america. it is absolutely essential that america write the rules of the global economy instead of others writing the rules of the global economy. they just sent the text this morning. so we have a lot of work to do o review this agreement.
6:10 pm
and we do not rubber stamp anything around here, let alone trade agreements. so because i was the co-author of the t.p.a. process, the american people will now get a chance to see what's in these trade agreements in addition to representatives in congress being able to see it. it's the most transparent and open process had in considering trade agreements. so i'm going to -- i don't know the answer to what my position is on a trade agreement i have not even yet read because we just got it this morning. but again i'm pleased with the process we have before us. open, transparent, people get to see it. members of congress get to see it. then we decide independently after consulting with constituents and conscience what our position on anything will e. >> can you talk about the issue you plan to elevate to highlight the differences between the epublicans an democrats? and also could you talk ability what kind of issues you plan to use to assist the eventual republican nominee for president? mr. ryan: like i said earlier on, we don't like the direction
6:11 pm
america is headed. we think the president and his policies have taken america down the wrong path. so we feel that we have a moral obligation to our constituents and to our fellow citizens to ffer a better way forward. so in the next weeks and months, we together as a republican conference in consultation with our friends in the senate are going to be offering alternatives. we'll be developing those alternatives. i'm not going to do those unilaterally. we're going to do it organically in a bottom-up approach here in the congress. so on the big issues of the day, jobs, economy, poverty, national security, defense, we're going to be offering our alternatives and what we believe is the best way forward. that's a process that's going to take many months. >> can we talk about your relationship with the president and how, i'm sure you've studied that as a former opponent on the ticket, as an observer, seeing how he interacted with speaker boehner, what do you expect to o differently?
6:12 pm
give us a sense of your relationship with the president? mr. ryan: we know each other, yes i did run against him in the last election. but i'm not -- i'm a person that can get along with people. i like people who believe passionately in things even if they're not the things i agree with. so i generally as a general matter enjoy people who fight passionately for what they believe in, again, even if it's not what i believe in. so i've always had a good way of getting along with people on the other side of the aisle. we have spoken, we have not met in person. he's overseas right now, i believe. we've had a couple of conversations on the phone, courteous conversations about t. >> there's been real movement on criminal justice reform in the senate. last month chairman goodlatte and mr. conyers put forward a house version of criminal justice reform. do you foresee criminal justice reform happen big the end of this congress?
6:13 pm
mr. ryan: i'm not going to commit to floor actions, that's something i want to make jointly with members of the caucus. i am in favor of criminal justice reform. i support those, put those in a plan i put out as budget chair, co-sponsored bills before i became p speaker. it's an issue i think needs attending to. but we'll have the house work its will. we'll work through the committee process like i mentioned. the committee as you discussed is already work on these issues. that is an issue i think we hould be addressing. >> the president and the administration put out the idea that it is studying where to place guantanamo detainees and the possibility of the president taking whatever executive action he think he is can to try to live up to his promise to close that facility. what are your thoughts about that right now? and over on the senate side, by the way, senator shaheen who thinks guantanamo should be closed. mr. ryan: i think guantanamo detainees should be in uantanamo. i refer you to the defense
6:14 pm
authorization committee. we're passing the ndaa. i refer you to the legislation and mac thornberry for any further answer on that. >> how important do you think it is that planned parenthood could be in an omnibus and the government won't shut down in ecember? mr. ryan: i'm not going to predetermine the outcome of negotiations that haven't taken place yet. i don't think planned parenthood should get one red cent from the taxpayers. that's been my position for a listening time even before i saw the gruesome videos. that's point number one. point number two. we also have reconciliation process under way. and we have defunded planned parenthood through the reconciliation process which is our best chance and opportunity of actually getting a bill on he president's desk. so we are moving on planned parenthood on multiple fronts, not to mention the fact that we have a select committee through the commerce committee that's being assembled to look into
6:15 pm
these issues. >> mr. speaker, how did your relationship with leader cconnell, we've seen this year sometimes the house working pretty separately from the senate, curious if you want to change that? mr. ryan: i do. i actually attended their policy lunch this last tuesday. some of you were there. that was a great start. a lot of those folks are friends of mine who served here in the house. i've invited leader mcconnell to come to our house republican conference and to address our conference and to enjoy what we call open mike period. he's taking me up on my nvitation, he's going to speaking to our conference when we return to from this district work period. >> mr. speaker, you joked other the weekend that your honeymoon might be about 35 minutes long. is it over? how sit going? mr. ryan: probably. i don't think you get a lot of honeymoons for things like his. this was not a job i was looking for or seeking. it kind of sought me. i realize that it was a duty and an obligation.
6:16 pm
now i realize it's an honor. it's an honor that i have this responsibility and this pportunity to serve. and the way i am trying to do this job is the way that i always thought it should have been done, to make this a more open process so that every citizen in this country through the their elected representatives has an opportunity to make a difference. that is the people's house. this is the branch of government closest to the people. i wanted to have a process that is more ohm, more inclusive, more deliberative, more participatory. and that's what we're trying to do. that's why i'm saying things are going to be done. the week we had on the floor, you were asking me about appropriations, that's a decision we left up to members of the caucus. that's how i want to do things. i've got to tell you, bills will come up that may not pass. we're not going to bottle up a process so much and predetermine the outcome of everything around here. i want the house to work its will. i think that's the way the
6:17 pm
founders envisioned it to ork. so that means some things will pass an some things won't and we're going to let that appen. >> another appropriations question. in 2013, 33,000 americans died from gunshot wounds, 84,000 were injured, roughly the same rate as automobiles. the house h.h.s. appropriations bill continues this decades old ban on the c.d.c. from studying gunshots as a public health issue. do you think it's appropriate to continue that ban? mr. ryan: i'll refer you to the appropriators and tom cole the chairman of the subcommittee. >> do you have an opinion? mr. ryan: i think the second amendment is a fundamental right and the supreme court has affirmed that. thank you, everybody, appreciate it. [captioning performed by national captioning institute] [captions copyright national cable satellite corp. 2015] >> about an hour of speaker ryan finished his news conference,
6:18 pm
democrat exleader nancy pelosi spoke with reporters. she answered questions about the highway bill, the export-import bank, and how she thinks paul ryan will do as house speaker. ms. pelosi: good afternoon. thank you for your accommodation of being here later. we had the highway bill on the floor. very good to be passing a bill and house democrats are happy that some of their priorities are contained in it, the automatic increase in infrastructure investment if more revenue flow into the highway trust fund it would be used for more infrastructure. strengthening the buy america provision. to maximize american job creation. focusing transportation investments to increase access to jobs in disadvantaged communities. that's really important. and promoting women and minority owned businesses, recruiting and training transit workers from
6:19 pm
underrepresented populations. this is hopefully a way to bring jobs to communities that would greatly benefit. i'm very pleased that re-authorization of the export-import bank is in there and that every amendment was defeated. every amendment was defeated. that was pretty -- that was a bipartisan effort to defeat every amendment. maxine waters, steny hoyer, denny heck, working with representatives dent, lucas, really quite a bipartisan effort. we're proud of that. because that is really a job creator that reduces the deficit, increase ours competitiveness abroad by enabling small and moderate-sized businesses as well as large businesses to have access to markets abroad.
6:20 pm
the highway bill is a modest rather than robust layout, it's a marylandest step forward. we really do have to work to do more because our infrastructure needs are great. and they go beyond highway and transportation. it's about broadband infrastructure, it's about water infrastructure. in our country. and so we have the challenge, as you probably know, the american society of civil engineers puts our deficit into the trillions. we're not going to have that kind of money to spend but we hopefully will be able to leverage money that we do have into getting the most for it and it goes beyond transportation. it goes into other infrastructure that we need, that i mentioned. the bill is a six-year bill that's funded for about three years. so that -- i'd like it to be
6:21 pm
funded, to take that three years and spend it in two years, then we'd have something more are boust but then we'd have four years unfunded, so we have to find a way and work for greater commitment to repair our infrastructure, create good--- good-paying jobs, increasing wages, lowering the deficit. here we are now with the appropriations. we have until december 11, as you know. last week, we were really happy with the budget bill. 100% of the democrats in the house and senate voted for the budget bill. the bipartisan compromise democratic and republican shaped budget bill. 100% of the democrats voted for it. sad to say, 200 republicans, house and senate combined, 200 republicans voted against the bill. 6 % of the members of the house
6:22 pm
republican conference voted against it and the remainder coming from the senate side. what the bill did was to affirm the full faith and credit of the united states of america. what a no vote does is to default on that. what the bill does is to enhance our ability to invest in our defense and our domestic agenda by lifting the caps and removing the stranglehold of sequestration. that's what democrats voted for, 200 republicans said no to that. 200 republicans said no to stopping the drastic increase in medicare part b payments. 200 republicans said no to stopping a 20% cut in benefits for people with disabilities under social security. it's hard to understand. but we were able to pass the bill.
6:23 pm
since the budget bill serves as a blueprint for how we go forward now in the appropriations season, yesterday i met with our appropriators, the appropriators, i'm an appropriator, steny is an appropriator, rosa is -- rosa delauro is an appropriator. mr. israel, much of our leadership are appropriators, as are mr. reed -- senator reed and senator durbin system of we understand the mentality of appropriators. and that is to try to work in a bipartisan way to get the job done with a time fuse there. so we salute their work. that's what they are doing in preparing for where we go here except now we've lifted the caps, there's more investments to be made and they have to do their 302-b allocations as to how much they're going to spend and what committees it goes to. that will be a republican decision and then they'll act in
6:24 pm
a bipartisan way to implement it. so -- and we have until december 11 to put that omnibus together, just remembering that september 30, in time for the end of the fiscal year, 151 republicans have voted to keep -- to shut down government. not -- to support. and sadly tied to that, they did not renew funding for planned parenthood. and the speaker would have to give up his gavel which he did, sad to say. we welcome the new speaker, with -- him luck and cooperation. i'm happy we're moving forward with a modest transportation bill, wish it could be bigger, reflecting new technologies and all that is going on out there. on another front, yesterday i pointed members to our select committee, we've renamed the republican sclect committee to attack women's health. our ranking member, jan
6:25 pm
schakowsky of illinois, and congresswoman diana degette of the energy and commerce committee, from judiciary, jerry nadler and susan delbene, and from reform, bonnie watson coleman and jackie speier of california. those are the three committees of jurisdiction. they bring a great wealth of knowledge, staff, intellectual resources and the rest to this. it's a funny thing. well, we'll see what their agenda is as they go forward. i do believe that hardworking families deserve better than wasting taxpayers' money on select committees that diminish women's health possibilities. in terms of women's health, tomorrow, sunday, sunday marks the start of the affordable care act, third open enrollment
6:26 pm
period. uninsured americans across the country will be able to visit the health insurance marketplace, enroll in quality, affordable coverage for them and their families. it's pretty exciting. it's really exciting to say that thanks to this historic law, nearly 18 million previously underinsured -- uninsured, 18 million previously uninsured americans now have quality, affordable health coverage. again, young adults can stay on their parents' health insurance until 26, no longer will insurers be able to turn you away for pre-existing conditions. no more annual or lifetime caps on the coverage you can receive. and no longer will a woman be a -- will being a woman be a repre-- a pre-existing medical condition. as you know, the republicans have tried scores of times to take it down but we are very proud of the number of people
6:27 pm
who have had access now to affordable, quality health care. and at the same time, it is serving to lower costs to health care not only to families but to our budget. our national budget and to our economy. one of the fastest growing parts of health care in our country is the cost of prescription drugs. the fastest growing part of health expenditures today. this is really coming to be a crisis. it must be understood, it must be investigated so we can find ways to rein in soaring costs. as you know, ranking members -- ranking member cummings has called on the chair for an investigation which has not materialized. democrats have formed a task force, maybe some of you were at their presentation yesterday. we will have a steering policy committee hearing on this
6:28 pm
subject. it really hits home with people. and part of the whole idea of our investment in basic buy quo medical research and the national institutes of health and then coupled with the affordable care act with accessibility is so thatmy rack louse cures could be available to everyone. but the pricing is really becoming almost an immorality. and while i understand that research and development has to be paid for and that we have some drugs that are cures that may be worth some money, we cannot stand for what is happening right now. companiesaint all our with the same brush but we do the o investigate those, practice that some are engaged in. it's a very big issue across the
6:29 pm
country. it's a big issue for many homes and many doctors offices and it's a huge issue in hospitals across the country. because they have to bear the cost. any questions? yes, sir. >> the ndaa passed today, included provisions to block president obama from transferring detainees from guilt moe are you disappointed president obama hasn't succeeded in closing gitmo? ms. pelosi: i'm sorry this is in the bill but president obama has signed bills before with this language. i'm not disappointed in terms of anything in terms of the president. i'm disappointed the republicans have prevented the president from closing guantanamo, which he said he was going to do, which he set out to do, which he had a plan to do and does have a
6:30 pm
plan to do now. there was a facility to be built in illinois where people welcomed the economic development that it would bring. but the republicans prevented that from happening. so my disappointment is that the republicans, they should know that guantanamo should have been closed a long time ago. they should not have prevented it. that's where think disappointment is. >> democrats face a tough night on tuesday but particularly the san francisco race where vicky hennessy ended up beating heriff marini. that particular race kind of focused in on the sanctuary city situation. she was a staunch supporter of that. what does that tell you about what san francisco voters want in that city? ms. pelosi: let me disagree with
6:31 pm
you. i don't think it was such a great -- there was a loss in kentucky, there were four -- democrats picked up four seats in pennsylvania, new jersey, neighboring pennsylvania, they swept the election for the supreme court presenting some, shall we say, not so friendly to people initiatives there. he -- we have a long list of them, we could go state by state. the loss in kentucky was a sad one for governor. however we did win the attorney general seat there and secretary of state was re-elected there. that you would describe vicki hennessy's victory in san francisco as an indication of a , i can't for democrats rasp that.
6:32 pm
we had a e sheriff, race between two people. her statement about this subject, she said she would view the issues about turning over people on a case-by-case basis. she disagreed, as most of us did work what sheriff -- what the current sheriff did. but i wouldn't, in friendship, think it was a bad night for democrats because vicki hennessy won in san francisco. we're all very proud of her. it was a great victory. and her distinction that she made is to look at each case, one at a time. and i'm pleased that the senate s rejected some of the ill-conceived notions that were around there about sanctuary ities.
6:33 pm
so what are we going to do with you now? your alma mater, are you going to be nonbiased? >> john boehner represented the istrict where i was from so -- ms. pe he see: congratulations of miami of ohio. >> two unsuccessful vice presidents -- my question is about paul ryan. how do you think he's done in this first week? i mean, it's right out of the gate but how do you think he's done? ms. pelosi: to become speaker of the house is a very moment us step forward -- momentous step forward. it's the third highest position in the country. president, vice president, speaker of the house. undertaking. great
6:34 pm
-- to be tossed in in the middle of a legislative session, in the middle of budget negotiation and the rest is very challenging. to then have to make your adjustments from the staffing standpoint, the additional responsibilities i know the speaker is proud to assume, it's, i think, really, the first week is not a time for judgments. i think that just getting through the week is an accomplishment with all the things that barrage the new speaker and his time. >> having been in the speaker's chair yourself, not that you would give advice, necessarily, but you were there for that first week, you didn't come in in the middle of congress, but what is kind of a typical thing you can see that if you were talking to speakers at large, what would you say, watch out for this, watch out for that?
6:35 pm
the speaker asked for advice, i'd share that with him. >> have you had a conversation? ms. pelosi: we have not. we had a friendly exchange on the floor. i wish him well. it's a very challenging job. and i don't know if you have anything specific about the appropriations process or anything like that, because that's what we're engaged in. it's my understanding from the -- from his press conference he said he was going to have the appropriations bills that had not yet been negotiated by the committees, the subcommittees, to be taken up by the full conference. of republicans. well that would be good news to our members because 100% of our members say they should all be on the appropriations committee. and that we have one committee in the house and that's it so everybody makes those decisions.
6:36 pm
but the fact is, that's not governing by committee. that's not governing by a committee. so i think that will be challenging. but it's interesting. curious. and i wish him well with it. but out of respect, as an appropriator, as i said, out of respect for the knowledge, the expertise that people have and their focus on their subcommittees, i think that that will be an interesting die namtoik see how his appropriators react to his whole conference weighing in on the bills of his committee and calling it, respecting the committee system. >> the election results this week included one in houston about lgbt people. why do you think that failed? and do you think you could have a federal bill for that? ms. pelosi: i spent time last week in texas.
6:37 pm
i was invited by the bush family to speak at the points of light conference there. so i was there for a fedes, for the weekend and then into tuesday when i spoke at the conference and then the convention and then a is a absolute to the 25-year anniversary of it. and with president bush and mrs. bush. it was glorious. so thank you for affording me the opportunity to sing their praises in terms of volunteerism and hope. at the time, obviously i was engaged in some political matters while i was there, meeting with democrats along the way, and seeing -- seeing ads on tv. that was heartbreaking. it was really heartbreaking because some significant money came in, really mischaracterized what the initiative did and i think the size of the -- not only that lost, the other side won, but the size of the defeat
6:38 pm
was stunning because i don't think -- how many other cities in texas have nondiscrimination? nine cities of 100,000 or more in texas have this nondiscrimination provision. and now they've defeated in houston. what was interesting to me, i talked about the negative ads, but to see the ads with veterans in them saying they supported the hero, it's called hero because of what it meant to veterans, was so beautiful and kind of -- and the kind of nasty ads, you know what they were, it's disappointing. but it is, we just have to think of it as a bump in the road and of course we have our equality bill that we have introduced in july, introduced by david cicilline with bipartisan -- i mean bicameral support and the
6:39 pm
senate and the house we announced it. that would be an attempt to end discrimination. expanding the civil rights act o include lgbt equality in there as well. it's inevitable, it will happen. it may be inconceivable to some, but it's inevitable to us, to shorten the distance between the inevitable and the inconceivable. it will prevail. but it was disappointing. >> what can you do to galvanize movement on that in this conference? ms. pelosi: i would hope so but i think that -- i don't want anybody's hopes to be held too high when we see some of the actions taken by congress, but this is -- when we had the majority, we passed the hate crimes bill that was fully
6:40 pm
clusive, including transgender. at the time they told me if you take transgender out, you can pass the bill in a minute. i said, if we take transgender out, we're not passing it in a hundred million years. we're not doing that. we thought we got passed it, the don't ask, don't tell repeal. the courts did marriage equality. we're making great progress. and the momentum is on the side of ending discrimination and this, obviously just consider an episode and not a trend. andl keep working very hard the only way congress acts is if there's public support. that's what we'll continue to do. >> back to kentucky, all the polls got it wrong. the winner of that race was an extreme conservative.
6:41 pm
i was talking to some political analysts who said because of the health care law, you see the loss of an entire generation of democrats in the south. you were speaker on the back of the blue dog democrats. how did the democrats win the south in 2015 and 2016? -- how do they win the south in 2015 and 2016? ms. pelosi: let me again not subscribe to your characterization. what happened in kentucky, let me give you an example. mr. yarmuth's district. he ran in the presidential year and had over 200,000 votes. in nonpresidential year he had, what, 170,000 votes. something like that. over 150,000 votes. that was one year ago. t was about turnout.
6:42 pm
we have to increase turnout. if the turnout had been digger the election would have been different. but anyway, we don't argue nice, we organize. that's what we have to do whether it's in the south, the midwest, suburban areas, rural areas. in the west. it's about showing people the connection, as martin luther king said, between the ballot, legislation, and their lives. and that just has not been done sufficiently. >> president obama seems, there's a lot of worry in democratic groups, that mobilization is not there to the level it was? ms. pelosi: presidential year is a big year. it's not there as in 12, yeah. because the presidential race is a big event. it has everything. it has glamour, it has money, it has power. t's an attraction.
6:43 pm
are not -- you're just waiting for enext show. as i've said to you before and you've heard us talk about it in a full way, in fact on tuesday, restoration tuesday, where mr. clyburn and congresswoman sewell presented their agenda for passing the voting rights act, had an outreach, an engagement with voters about the connection of winning elections and winning initiatives to improve their lives. and we just had to debate it. in the presidential year is anable opportunity time for us. somebody told me there was a poll after 2012 of people who , dn't vote and in that poll
6:44 pm
obama -- president obama won by 30 points over mitt romney. so we had a challenge. that affects all the things we'd like to see happen including a heroes act that would put the challenge, you know -- yes, sir. then i'll have to go. >> there's an argument to be made, you may quibble with how well it can be made, that the bipartisan agreement that's been in place over the last two weeks, the debt ceil, sequester deal and now the transportation bill, was basically take everything until we see who the next president is. these are sham, gimmicky, paid for bills, whose base extheme is to get off the agenda until 2017. what does it say about this, the atmosphere here that that seems o be the case?
6:45 pm
ms. pelosi: i don't know what you're talking about. these are substantial decisions put on the cap to sequestration, yes. but it had nothing to do with who the next president is, hoever she may be. or he. we have wonderful candidates across the board on our side. that's one place i would disagree with the distinguished speaker with all due respect, when he said any one of the republican candidates on the stage would be a better president than hillary clinton. come on. ms. clinton, martin o'malley, we have great candidates. this is of the moment. we have to keep government open. we wanted to do so in way -- if anything, it wasn't about what come next. it was about what we have not done. what we are delinquent in doing. so now we succeeded in lifting
6:46 pm
the caps, putting off the sequestration. lifting the debt ceiling in 2017. that was remarkable. stopping the increase, stopping the cut in disability. this was, well, i want more. this is a compromise, i wanted more. i wanted the i.m.f. i had a full agenda but it being a compromise, i accept the fact that they have the majority, the president has the sig inture, we have -- we can uphold whatever he president says. >> does it men the next 14 months will be substantially policy free? ms. pelosi: because we have some, in other words when it comes to lifting the debt
6:47 pm
ceiling, we remove doubt we're going to default. that's more certainty for our economy. just the discussion of it in 2011 lowered our credit rating, do you remember that? some of you who were here then? lowered our credit rating, just the mere discussion of it. it in -- the ssed last time we passed it, 199 republicans voted no. they did not honor the full faith and credit of the united states. 28 voted yes, including speaker boehner. i mean personally, no offense to the new speaker, put bernlly what a lovely guy. very interesting characterization. we're optimists. we're positive. this is a good thing. let's see what's going to create over 350,000 jobs in the next
6:48 pm
year alone. so whatever it is, it's a good thing for job creation, for increasing paychecks and reducing the deficit and again having parity between defense, which we all want to support, and domestic, which we all want o support in a way that honors a fire wal you can't take from one or the other to increase the funding. i felt very positive, very bipartisan. i was willing to assess what i couldn't get in the bill for what was in it. and that's what i always say to members. try not to judge bills for what isn't in it but respect it for what is in it. i think it's really respect, that's why 100 democrats voted for it. not because they didn't have problems with one thing or another but because they had a shared commitment, all of them, to working families in our
6:49 pm
country. of creating good paying jobs, increasing paychecks, and it all comes back to middle class economics versus trickle down, but we'll save that for another day. thank you all very much. [captioning performed by national captioning institute] [captions copyright national cable satellite corp. 2015] >> how about abng in san francisco? ms. pe he see [inaudible] -- s. pelosi: [inaudible]
6:50 pm
>> with john boehner's resignation from the house of representatives, ohio governor john kasich has scheduled a special election for june 7 to fill the vacant seat. the primary election will be march 15. mr. boehner represented ohio's eighth district in southwestern ohio. it spans six counties and includes the cities of troy and westchester. >> c-span has your coverage of the road to the white house 2016, where you'll find the candidates, the speech the debates, and most importantly your questions. this year, we're taking our road to the white house coverage into classrooms across the country with our student cam contest, giving students the opportunity to discuss what important issues they want to hear the most from the candidates. follow c-span's student cam contest and road to the white house coverage 2016 on tv, on
6:51 pm
the radio, and online at -span.org. >> at today's white house briefing, press secretary josh earnest answered questions about the russian plane that crashed in egypt. the transpacific partnership trade deal. and the civil war in syria. josh: good afternoon, everybody. happy thursday. i do not have any announcements at the top so we can go straight to questions. >> can you talk about the latest u.s. assessment on what may have brought the plane down other the sinai? could it have been a bomb? josh: josh, there's obviously an egyptian-led investigation into this tragic incident that remains ongoing. at this point, the united states has not made our own determination about the cause of
6:52 pm
the incident. however, we kncht rule anything out, including the possibility of terrorist involvement. obviously you heard the announcement from the british government about steps they were taking to ensure the safety of the british traveling public and currently the obama administration is reviewing a number of different steps we can take to enhance security for commercial flights bound to the united states from certain foreign airports. that's an ongoing process. when we develop those additional measures, we work closely with industry and our international partners to make sure that they are properly, effectively implemented and i don't have anything new at this point to announce but once a decision on those steps has been made they'll be announced by the department of homeland security. >> when you say you can't rule anything out, is that just a statement of we don't know yet? or does the u.s. have specific intelligence that suggests it might in fact have been an act
6:53 pm
of terrorism? josh: i can't get into the intelligence but -- and it is accurate to say that the united states has not made our own determination about the cause of the incident. but based on what we know and based on, in part at least, what's been publicly reported, in terms of claims of responsibility, we can't rule anything out, including the possibility of terrorist involvement. >> now that we all have the tech to look at and enjoy at our bedside, can you give us an update on the timeline the white house envisions for a vote on this, specifically the notion that republicans have put forth that congress would wait until the lame duck period after the next presidential election to vote on this trade deal? josh: we've made clear it's not necessary to wait that long. that would mean waiting for almost a year. a day or two short of a year, at least.
6:54 pm
that would -- we don't believe it's necessary to wait that long. however, the shortland that -- shorthand that many people used for the trade promotion authority passed over the summer was fast track legislation. congress' definition of fast is quite a bit different than most people's definition of fast. we are respectful of the fact that there is a process that needs to play out here. in fact, this is one of the important commitments that the president made in discussing trade promotion authority legislation with congress is that the administration would go to great lengths to both produce the text of the agreement that was reached, that's what we did overnight, but also to give the american public ample time to review that text and understand the details of the agreement before the president himself even signed it, let alone before congress initiates the process they have devised to consider
6:55 pm
approving this agreement. so the point is, josh, we don't believe we should wait a year -- we don't believe congress should wait a year before acting, but we are respectful of the need to give time to congress and to the american public to consider the details of the agreement before they take action on it. we -- one of the reasons we acknowledge that is we continue to be confident that the more people learn about the details of the agreement, the more that people are going to be likely to support this agreement and understand the case that we're making about how important this is to the economic success of the united states and to the middle class in the united states. so, you know, included in this document, i don't know how far you've gotten through it based on your bedside reading so far but there are significant details about the 18,000 taxes that would be cut on products that are stamped made in america. these are taxes that are imposed by countries overseas and these
6:56 pm
are taxes that are imposed on u.s. goods that are flowing to some of the most economically diverse regions in the world. the possibility of eliminating those taxes tends to provide sig cabot economic benefit to the broader u.s. economy but also to the american workers that are responsible for making those high quality things. >> i want to ask you about the kerfluffle in israel over what would be your new counterpart, the spokesman for prime minister netanyahu who made inflammatory concepts about the president being anti-semitic and about john kerry among others. he's aparently apologized and the office condemned those remarks as unacceptable. does the white house think that apology was sufficient? does the president plan to raise concerns about that when he meets with prime minister
6:57 pm
netanyahu next week? josh: we've seen reports thabt individual's previous comments about u.s. officials. i also have seen reports about his apology. in this case it's ready apoint that that apology was warranted. but obviously the decisions that prime minister netanyahu has to make about who will serve his government and represent him and his country are decisions that he rightfully will make on his own. >> speaker ryan said moments ago that he believes that prisoners in gahn tun -- guantanamo should stay in guantanamo. the president's priority to close the prison comes perhaps right ahead of a plan that you had to congress. what is his state lt on this signal to the white house? and are there considerations under way for having congress --
6:58 pm
for him to take executive action to close guantanamo? josh: it is true that comments expressed by speaker ryan do contradict the position and priorities that president obama has articulated when it comes to the need to close the prison at guantanamo bay. it warrants mentioning, however, that speaker ryan's comments also contradistrict the stated view of people like senator john mccain, senator lindsey graham and senator collins, all of whom acknowledged the way that the prison at guantanamo bay undermines our national interests. also note the comments of george yan contradict w. bush who said, quote, it should be a goal of the nation to shut down guantanamo.
6:59 pm
this is a statement that president bush articulated in august of 2007. i'd note that speaker ryan's comments contradict the opinion secretaries of state, including kissinger, madeleine albright and colin powell. secretaries of state that served under president nixon, president ford, president george h.w. bush, president clinton and president george h.w. bush. the reason i've gone to great lengths to illustrate this is to underscore to you that the view that speaker ryan is expressing is in contradiction to some of the brightest foreign policy hinkers in both parties. these are men and women who have responsibility for the safety
7:00 pm
and security of the united states and all agree with president obama and disagree with speaker ryan about the need to close the prison at guantanamo bay. to be fair to speaker ryan, there are a number of other members of congress who have also expressed the view that's imilar to his but it surely is in continue fra diction to many who have in the case of senator mccain served this country heroically, in the case of some secretaries of state and former president george h.w. bush spent a lot of time, or president george w. bush, thinking about what steps are necessary to protect the united states and our citizens.

41 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on