Skip to main content

tv   Washington This Week  CSPAN  November 7, 2015 12:00pm-2:01pm EST

12:00 pm
, and i think by pushing what he has there is nothing i have seen it would indicate he is going to stop doing that. i think he will lie and do everything he can and then helped that happened. push -- a great way to think of it as a think. that feint. he is doing that by helping to shape what he thinks of the best proxies for russia, syria, and iran in the region. he winced twice -- wins twice. people are still dying in eastern ukraine. it focuses everybody on syria. i would not be surprised if over the next six months we see some more action in eastern ukraine at the same time. with respect to syria what i'm concerned about is a tension that creates up to a point where get to where we have to fire back against russia or iran for their actions in syria.
12:01 pm
if we do that, we will see the response in cyber. i really do. i think it will come because there is no iran can come after us. they can watch terrorist attacks and we've been fairly good at stopping those. they can hit us with cyber. because credible deterrence. what happens if they change their attacks against the financial sector to destructive against financial and energy? >> i guess i would with a comment on this bit is a here you discuss this i think if we let him continue to do this without any response as far as i can see, doesn't this almost but wea fait accompli can see her skills that ourselves heading in this direction that would put us in a more dangerous situation? if you were advising right now, what would you tell the president to do to respond to putin?
12:02 pm
gen. alexander: i would say refocus back on ukraine. syria is a dynamic and difficult situation. ukraine is a situation where he have a friend of the united states, not an ally but a partner that is under threat and attacked by russia and providing ukrainians the capability to better defend themselves and the electronic electromagnet spectrum. disrupt russian attempts to gain more territory. putin to make the determination if you will have resulting continue in ukraine or eventually received. but because we have not been focused on it you can continue to influence without any counter. >> i agree. i think our vital interest in eastern europe and in the middle east are at risk. i think we have already had some
12:03 pm
outcomes of iranian deals. having some deals is important but we lost some of our allies in doing this. losing those allies is something we cannot afford to have happen. i think we have to step back and say what is our strategy for both? we will have to deal with both at the same time. in the middle east we need our allies to know we will stand beside them. if the same thing in eastern ukraine. and say you looking may always declarations about nato about how you will be there for us but what happened? are you going to be there? at times unintentionally our actions may look like we are not. what i'm concerned about when you talk to saudi's and israelis and others they think are you here with us or are you with iran? what is your objective? i think we have to clarify that. our nation needs to let our allies know we are there for them.
12:04 pm
i think is the first and most important thing we should do. we should discuss with them how we will stop issues in ukraine with nato, and what we are going to do in the middle east to shore up our allies there. >> does anyone want to add to that? ofthe last several decades u.s. foreign-policy strategy has been focused on the challenge set of networks of individuals, criminals, insurgents, terrorists and failed states. and moving forward would have to recognize whether it is russia or also china, we have a return to great state competition. lookthat means is when we a certain areas when you look at it through the lens of not just a failed a by proxy warfare as well. i think we're seeing certain echoes of that. we will need to be able to learn the lessons in the past of what does and does not working proxy me oure and refra
12:05 pm
approaches. and focus on how do you keep a lid -- how do you win a competition they keep a lid on it from escalating. >> thank you all. >> general, just a follow-up on your comment. you say we would have to take some actions to reassure our allies, other nations in the region in the middle east. what actions with those be? >> i think we need to reach out to saudi arabia and the united arab emirates, kuwait, jordan, and egypt and sit down with them and say we are here. i think some of the things we're talking about -- >> we say that all the time. >> and then put in place -- when you look at it and look at egypt, perhaps some of the best comments i've heard on a strategy for egypt is how you give them stability? how to get them security? you have to energy, jobs.
12:06 pm
24% unemployment is bad for us. it's bad for the world. how can we get the middle east in place. they have enough money to do it. we have the expertise to help them get their. we have to look at the security, stability, the energy sector, and the jobs. the economic development for the middle east to get into a place where they can be looking forward to the future versus fighting all these issues we are seeing with radical islam. i think a conference of program like that led by our country and others in the middle east is a step forward and let them know we will be there, not just for a couple of hours, the for the next several decades. >> right now the egyptian regime has become more and more repressive. 45,000 people in prison. progress on of any which are inreas
12:07 pm
contradiction to our fundamental principles. this is a tough area. i have been egypt several times. there is no good solution without economic growth. question chairman is how to we health and get out of this? my dealings with our counterparts, they understand and want to do it. how do you get there? there is so much tension in that region. if we don't help them get to economic growth, what they will have is continued failed states. with those failed states we have another one. it seems to me at some point we have got to come up with a strategy that counters that. i personally believe that is some way of developing the economies. >> dr. singer, i have your book on my desk. admittedly in a pilot books on
12:08 pm
my desk. i will move it to the top of the pile and the next time i encounter you i will be able to ofe you a vigorous critique the thesis you espouse in that book. congratulations on its success. thank you for your articulate answers to the questions, mr. clark and general alexander. a special thanks to you for your past service but also it will be the intention, and we do work in a bipartisan basis as you know in this committee to start looking at the follow-on to the cyber legislation we just passed through the senate. we will be calling on all of you as we move forward with that effort. i think you will agree that additional legislation is necessary. would you agree with that, general? >> i do, chairman. thank you.
12:09 pm
>> mr. chairman, this is an extremely insightful panel and i'm surprised you chose wiley -- wisely a west point graduate and a fleet company commander and saved his life. a submarine officer, an army ranger, and a graduate of harvard university. good job, mr. chairman. [laughter] [applause] [captioning performed by the national captioning institute, which is responsible for its caption content and accuracy. visit ncicap.org] [captions copyright national cable satellite corp. 2015]
12:10 pm
>> c-span has the best access to congress. watch live coverage of the house on c-span and the senate on c-span2. watches online or on your phone at www.c-span.org. listen live anytime on our c-span radio app.
12:11 pm
get best access behind the scenes by following c-span and our capitol hill reporter craig kaplan on twitter. stay with c-span, c-span radio, and c-span.org for your best access to congress. all campaign long, c-span takes you on the road to the white house. unfiltered access to the candidates at town hall meetings, news conferences, rallies, speeches. we are taking your comments on twitter, facebook, and by phone. every campaign event we cover is available on our website at c-span.org. >> we will be taking you live to warns for, south carolina later today for the campaign event with democratic presidential candidate hillary clinton. she will be participating in a town hall meeting hosted by the state's legislative black caucus. it's expected to begin around
12:12 pm
1:15 p.m. eastern time. up until then we will bring you another road to the white house event with republican presidential candidate jeb bush. the former florida governor was in tampa earlier this week for the start of what his campaign was calling a chip can fix it bus tour. it begins the florida attorney general pam bondi introducing the candidate. [applause] bondi: all right, tampa. thank you. i am honored and humbled to be here today to introduce a man who has done so much for our state. as governor, we know that jeb bush's strong, conservative policies equaled a strong economy. i know firsthand because i was a prosecutor.
12:13 pm
i saw what he did to be tough on crime, to protect our state, and he will do the same thing in the united states as president. he knows when it comes to the character of leadership there is no compromising. he has shown that time and time again with his proven leadership. he always has. and jeb bush is the candidate to -- who has the experience to back it up. he is not simply casting a vote. he has done things for our state and he will continue to do them for our entire country and the world. this is the most important election of our lifetime and he is the hands-on man that we need it to run our country. [applause]
12:14 pm
people can trust jeb bush whether it is an international crisis or in the high of a hurricane. this man will be here for us. he will be here for our country. and he will be here for our world. [applause] i am very proud to introduce the man who will be the next president of the united states of america. jeb bush. [applause] ♪
12:15 pm
jeb bush: thank you. thank you for that great introduction. corcoran, where are you? thank you. i am not sure i am captain america. but i am striving to be president of the united states. i appreciate you coming out. it is great to be in tampa with so many friends. today, we begin a trip to tell the florida story. the story of a diverse state. shaped by conservative, oriented leadership. reforming government. disrupting the status quo. challenging special interests. restoring opportunity. refusing to compromise in the
12:16 pm
defense of freedom. lifting people up, not tearing them down. standing for everyone. our story is about action, doing, not just talking. listening, not just lecturing. [cheers] jeb bush: that is my story and i am so grateful and honored to have lead this great state as your governor. i cannot tell you how much it warms my heart. cheers] jeb bush: last year i decided i wanted to share my story with people across the country. i wrote a book well, i did not . really write it, in the traditional sense. i e-mailed it. they used to call me the e -governor. for eight years i gave out my e-mail address and i gave it to anyone who wanted to talk to me. and e-mail they did.
12:17 pm
people across the state told me their stories. sometimes they asked questions. sometimes they asked for help. i will never forget one lady, in elderly woman in south florida sent me an e-mail saying, governor, i've got a raccoon in my attic. what are you going to do about it? [laughter] mr. bush: so, i called up the poor city manager from del ray beach, or one of these towns, and said, you've got an elderly person who has a raccoon in her attic. what are you going to do about it? and by noon, that raccoon was out because we did have a servant's heart in tallahassee. we got our team on it each and every day when people have problems. they always giving their opinions. man, people did not hold back. so i listened. i did try to answer every e-mail. it was not something i predicted
12:18 pm
at the start of my time in office but this eight-year , conversation with florida shaped my governorship. in writing my book, i used my e-mail exchanges to tell the florida story. to tell about the work to turn one of the nation's largest states into an economic engine were people could live, work, and raise their families in safety and security. [cheers and applause] jeb bush: with a huge promise for the future and free from the heavy hand of government. that's what my book is about. here is my shameless plug. the book is called "reply all." it is out today. you can get it on amazon.com. it's pretty cheap. i hope you enjoy it. [cheers] bush: going back and rereading these e-mails reminded me of the challenges we tackled together and how much can be accomplished by strong, conservative leadership. that is why i am running for the presidency of the united states of america. [applause]
12:19 pm
[audience chanting "jeb!"] jeb bush: you see, america is in a time of testing at home and abroad. people are frustrated. people are worried about what the future holds for our nation. i share the sentiment with them. our economy has suffered the slowest recovery since the great depression. one in 10 able-bodied americans cannot find full-time work. or have given up altogether. one in seven americans lives in poverty. one in five children is on food stamps. barack obama has given us $2 trillion of new taxes, but still managed to grow the national debt by $8 trillion, placing the moral burden on working families and the next generation. the world is in turmoil as
12:20 pm
america withdraws from its responsibilities. isis has a caliphate the size of indiana. in syria and iraq, they are indiscriminately killing moderate muslims, christians, western journalists, anyone who stands in the way of their fanatic ideology. red lines get crossed without consequence, unleashing a humanitarian crisis as 4 million syrian refugees flee their native land. vladimir putin is siding with the brutal syrian dictator, sending weapons to iran, and continuing to defy the western world in ukraine. all the while, our president has negotiated an agreement that gives legitimacy to tehran and does nothing to curb iran's nuclear ambitions. for the first time in the history of israel, its greatest existential threat has been created by its greatest ally. the 2016 in election arrives at
12:21 pm
the juncture of our failures abroad and restlessness at home. soon, americans will once again enter a time for choosing. it is a chance to set a new course for the country. last week i was in colorado for the third republican debate. [laughter] jeb bush if you watch the : debate, you probably came away thinking the election is about soundbites or fantasy football, or which candidate can interrupt the loudest. i am here to tell you it is not. this election is not about a set of personalities. it is about a set of principles. [applause] jeb bush: it is about leadership. it is about the right vision to
12:22 pm
lead america through turbulent waters after two terms of a divider in chief who has sliced and diced the electorate by class, income, grievances, and creed. we have to have the choice to give rise to a new era of possibility or indulge this era of cynicism. for all his promise, perhaps president obama's greatest accomplishment is that of creating competing pessimism. members of his own party are left explaining how 2% growth, massive debt, and increasing global isolation are really the best we can do. they speak in delusional terms about containing isis, about trusting the world's largest state sponsor of terrorism, about how the presence of russian soldiers on syrian soil does not underscore the president's empty words in total inaction. it's not working and all president obama has left are the politics of divide and conquer,
12:23 pm
signing lawless executive orders that ignore the constitution and launching comparison attacks, comparing his critics to iranian hardliners. wow. amazing. americans have had enough of our president's strong man arguments -- straw man arguments instead of a leading candidate who does not take personal responsibility. [applause] jeb bush: and who declares roughly half the country is our enemy. if secretary clinton has her way, the next four years will be like the last eight -- gridlock, grievance, division, demonization. this is the only way they know how to win. on the issue of immigration, they have written a script for republicans. filled with grievance and resentment. frankly the last thing they want
12:24 pm
is a republican challenger who takes them out of their comfort zone of forced indignation and pc platitudes. but let me be clear. let me be clear. i am not stepping into the role of angry agitator they created for us, because it's not what is in my heart. and it's not true to the conservative cause and in the end, that role is just a bit part in another story of another conservative loss and another liberal victory. that is their plan, and i'm not going to go along with it. [cheering] mr. bush: but i truly fear the president has already succeeded in setting the trap for our party, bringing in new pessimism on the right. some people on the debate stage talked of a country that was once great, but now is in dramatic decline.
12:25 pm
they say our best days are behind us. let's be clear. i acknowledged the difficulties and challenges we face, but i reject that kind of thinking. not because -- [cheers and applause] jeb bush: [laughter] not because i don't understand it, but because it is not true. there is important place in politics for righteous indignation, but anger that leads to resentment without results will take us down a path to perdition. [applause] jeb bush: in my heart, i believe that america's best days are not behind us, but squarely in front of us, if we elect the right leadership. and as your president, i will fight every day with a reformer's heart.
12:26 pm
i will lead and i will tear down the barriers that keep americans from rising up and realizing their god-given potential. i will do so, keenly aware of the problems that give rise to the deep frustrations we all share. frustration over a porous border, worker wages remaining stagnant, families living paycheck to paycheck. this will not be solved with more talk. the answer is not sending one someone from one side of the capital city to the other. the solution will not be found in someone who never had the capacity to implement conservative ideas. you can't just tell congress "you're fired!" and go to commercial break. [cheering] jeb bush: you have to bring people together to solve problems. the challenges we face as a nation are two great to roll the
12:27 pm
dice on another presidential experiment, to trust the rhetoric of reform over a record of reform. after seven years of incompetence and gridlock in washington, d.c., we need a president who can fix it. [audience chanting "jeb!"] jeb bush: i can fix it. [cheering] jeb bush: after seven years of historic cuts to our military, a foreign policy based on leaving from behind, the emboldening of our enemies and isolation of our allies, we need a president who
12:28 pm
fixes america's standing abroad. i can fix it. after seven years of massive deficits, historic debt, and a president who vetoes defense spending because he wants more reckless spending, we need a president who fixes our budgetary mess. i can fix it. i know i can fix it because i have done it. [cheering] jeb bush: in florida, we showed how strong hands-on leadership could make a difference in the lives of people. i gave out my e-mail address because i wanted floridians to know their government cared about them. and wanted to help solve their problems. i remember e-mailing with an honors student named kirsty edwards who could not pass the
12:29 pm
f-cat to graduate because of her disability. we listened. we change the rules so that kirsty could graduate from high school and could go on to college. i remember e-mailing with single moms like tina calloway, who needed help collecting child support from absent fathers. their call for assistance motivated us to increase child support collection by 90% during my time as governor. and i remember e-mailing teachers like eileen miller, who joined our cause of improving schools, even though their union pressured them to fight us every step along the way, and guess what? we took them on and we won. i went to tallahassee as an agent of change. i turned the political power upside down.
12:30 pm
i'm putting the beltway on notice. i will turn washington, d.c. upside down, too. [cheers and applause] jeb bush: we took on the educational establishment to make florida the national leader in parental choice and school accountability. we took on the public employee union to shrink the size of state bureaucracy by 11%. we took on trial lawyers to rein in frivolous lawsuits, and we led the nation in small business growth. we took on big-spending politicians from both parties, cut taxes eight years in a row, totaling $19 billion, and by the way, i vetoed 2500 line items in the budget, saving taxpayers $2 billion. [cheers]
12:31 pm
jeb bush: my good friend and the former speaker of the house, john thrasher, reacted to all of this by calling me veto corleone. apparently that was not meant as a term of endearment of the time. but i tell you what. i wear it as a badge of honor. just because we are in power does not mean we get our chance to be at the trough. a committed conservative limits governmental power and spreads government power back to the people. that is what we need to do in washington, d.c. [applause] jeb bush: the story of my governorship was one of using conservative principles every day consistently and constantly to provide people with opportunities to improve their lives. i governed on the premise that there are no second class citizens. no second-rate dreams. in america, every citizen is an
12:32 pm
asset. every life matters. [cheers and applause] jeb bush: and every american has the right to rise to their god-given potential. if you want a president who maintains the status quo, i am not your guy. but if you want fundamental conservative reform, reform that can be found in the record, not the rhetoric, then i ask for your support. our times are difficult, but not nearly as difficult as what lincoln faced when he took office, or what fdr faced on december 8, 1941. we have long been blessed with a benevolent presidency. leaders who turned our highest hopes into dramatic change that left the world a better place. leaders who held the nation's highest office with humility, who went on bended knee before god, asking his help before
12:33 pm
carrying out orders that would determine the fate of millions. it was lincoln who spoke at the second inauguration, a few weeks before the end of the war, soothing words of healing and hope -- with malice toward none, charity toward all, firmness in the right as god gives us the ability to see the right. let us strive on to the work we are in. if lincoln were alive today, imagine the foolishness he would have to suffer. think about it. advisers telling him to shave his beard. cable pundits telling him to lose the top hat. opposition researchers calling him a five-time loser before he was 50-years-old. i've got a lot of advice lately myself. [laughter] jeb bush: more than enough, thank you. some is stylistic. take off the suit coat. ditch the glasses.
12:34 pm
get rid of the purple striped tie. i like the tie. [applause] jeb bush: i like this tie. it only cost $20. some advice is more strategic. nail that zinger. be angrier. hide your inner wonk. i have learned important things during my time as your governor -- one, i cannot be something i am not. [applause] jeb bush: and two, getting things done isn't about yelling into a camera. or regurgitating salivates that sound bite free of substance. the campaign trail is littered with candidates disguised as television critics, politicians echoing poll-tested pablum. but leadership is something far different. it is about telling someone not what they want hear, but what
12:35 pm
they must hear. it's not about saying the right thing, but doing the right thing. [cheers and applause] jeb bush: it's not about tearing people down, but bringing people together. i will do everything in my power to win this race, but there are some things i'm not willing to do. i will not compromise on my principles. i will not trade in an optimistic outlook, put on the cloak of an angry agitator, and i will not make anyone feel small so i can feel big. [applause] jeb bush: americans are looking for a president, not a pundit. a leader, not a protester. for seven and a half years, we have been led by a cynic in
12:36 pm
chief. it is time we elected commander-in-chief. [applause] jeb bush: a president who knows leadership involves summoning the will and creativity involved in solving tomorrow's challenges. it take advantage of the great opportunities at our doorstep. i am running this campaign on my own terms. and let me tell you something. when the dust clears and the delegates are counted, we are going to win this campaign. [applause] [audience chanting "jeb!"] jeb bush: i will be true to myself, optimistic and inclusive.
12:37 pm
i will appeal to our better angels, not our greatest fears. i will win with a message that welcomes all and includes all, because i will be a president who fights for all. join me in this journey. fight with me as we work to fundamentally change the culture of washington. let us seek the promise of a fledgling republic formed 200 years ago. a land full of endless promise and limitless possibility. we are all blessed to be americans. the future is in our hands. let us see this together with faith, hope, and trust in ourselves and in one another and in the god who made us all and guides us. thank you, everyone. god bless america. let's go win. ♪
12:38 pm
>> ♪ i'll be working here forever at least until i die dammed if you do and damned if you don't you know i'm supposed to get a raise next week working for a living working for a living i am taking what they're giving because i'm working for a living ♪ i really need the work hitting up my buddies got me feeling like a jerk $100 condo, $200 rents i got a check on friday but it's already spent workin' for a living workin' for a living workin' for a living i'm taking what they're giving 'cause i am working for a living ♪ [captions copyright national
12:39 pm
cable satellite corp. 2015] [captioning performed by the national captioning institute, which is responsible for its caption content and accuracy. visit ncicap.org] >> in you can see more from the jeb bush bus tour on social media. the bush campaign posting this video today on twitter that
12:40 pm
shows where the former florida governor has been over the past week. you can view that and other tweets in the campaign trail through our twitter account at c-span which features a list of all the candidates running for president. you can access that i going to twitter.com\cspan. donald trump is set to host tonight "saturday night live" in what will be his second appearance on the show. tonight's appearances with the protests outside nbc's new york studios because of past comment trump is made over immigration. he spoke some about his snl guest spot earlier this week at a news conference for the release of his new book "crippled america." he discusses campaign and his republican challengers. this is 35 minutes.
12:41 pm
mr. trump: thank you, louise. i appreciate it very much. it's a great honor. i want to thank you simon & schuster, one of the most magnificent publishers for years and years. i heard about them as being a fabulous -- i was going to say the rolls-royce, i was going to say the harvard or the yale but they really are a great one and i want to thank you very much. you've given us such tremendous support and we did this quickly and we think we did it very effectively. it's been an incredible experience. we wrote a book and the title, "crippled america," is very tough, but unfortunately we have to do what we have to do. and i think one of the reasons we've been doing so well in the campaign is because we tell it like it is. we tell the truth. and america is crippled. we owe $17 trillion and $18 trillion and very soon it's going to be $19 trillion in debt. we have a military that doesn't
12:42 pm
have proper instruction from leadership. we don't know what we're doing. we're losing all over the world with trade deals. every country, no matter what country you talk about, you can just pick a name out of a hat, they're beating us in trade and we can no longer go longer. i mention sergeant bergdahl. they get five of the people they wanted and they want it badly. and that's not the way it's going to work anymore. so we write about it in the book. we tell lots of different stories of lots of different things and i think it's going to be very instructional, very important to me was instructional. when i did "the art of the deal," i think one of the reasons it was so successful is that it was largely instructional. and even today when i speak, so many people hold up the book "the art of the deal," and the other books we've done. so this is one that probably not since "the art of the deal" -- i have to tell this to louise and simon & schuster that i worked so hard on a book.
12:43 pm
it was in a confined period of time. we wanted to get it out really, really quickly so it retained to what's going on right now. it's a moment of time. and we got it done. and david did a fantastic job. where is david? is he here? david did a fantastic job. and all of my people did a great job. they helped me so much so this was not easy getting this in we see the lines -- the lines go down to park avenue. they've been forming since last night. i will be signing books starting at 12:00. we're doing a couple of interviews and signing books at 12:00. that will be very exciting for me. we have fans that bought the book and they just bought it and some have been in line for 12, 14 hours. i don't know how they're doing this but they do it. they find a way. so i'm looking forward to getting to the signings. does anybody have any questions, please? oh, that's all, just about 30 questions. yes, go ahead. katie.
12:44 pm
>> [inaudible] mr. trump: well, i think it's a different book. we just had polls come out today in iowa where i'm leading. you saw the new poll from iowa. you saw the new poll in new hampshire where i'm leading big. a poll just came out in florida where i'm leading big. georgia, texas. i mean, all over the place. and i think, you know, look, it's -- we're doing well. if you add ben and myself, we're beating everybody by a lot. that seems to be the big story that we're beating -- they call it the establishment. it's really called the failed establishment because the establishment has let us down but i don't know. i really don't know how his book is doing. well, i think my book is very hard-hitting. his is a different kind of a book and he's a different kind of a person. my book is very hard hitting. it says it like it is. and based on what simon &
12:45 pm
schuster just told me it's selling like hot cakes so we'll see. we're very different people. we have very different qualities and we are extremely different. and i'm different from all of the other candidates. look, nobody can negotiate trade deals like me. we are going to take the $00 -- $400 billion a year that we're losing with china, that's going to be turned around. the $75 billion a year that we're short on with japan, the $50 billion a year that we lose to mexico and that's right, there will be a wall built. it will go up. it will be built and people will come into the country legally. so i mean, i'm much different than -- you look at marco rubio. very, very weak on illegal immigration. you look at ben, he's very weak on immigration and he wants to get rid of medicare. i mean, ben wants to get rid of medicare. you can't get rid of medicare. it would be a horrible thing. it actually works. you get rid of the fraud, waste and abuse, it works. so when a man is weak on immigration and wants to get rid of medicare, i don't know how he stays there.
12:46 pm
go ahead, tom. >> [inaudible] mr. trump: i really think that marco is overrated. had bush been a better messenger, he would have a better message. that was me delivering the message it would have been a , much different story. marco doesn't go to the united states senate. he's representing the people of florida. that poll just came out today. and i'm way up in florida over everybody. but marco is a sitting senator and he doesn't show up for the people of florida. and i don't think he should be doing that. now, bush gave a very weak message, i agree with that. it was poorly delivered but the facts are on bush's side and i think ultimately marco will be hurt very badly. and if you look at mr. singer, you have to see where mr. singer is coming from and when you see where he's coming from i think people are going to say, whoa, we didn't know that.
12:47 pm
but look at marco's stance on illegal immigration. it's really trouble for him. i don't see how he can win. ok. yes. mark? >> [inaudible] mr. trump: marco rubio's personal finances are discredited. all you have to do is look at his credit card. i mean, he is a disaster with his credit cards. i tell you what, i love florida. i'm in florida all the time. and for years i've been hearing that his credit cards are disaster. i would think when you take a look at it you're going to find that. but his credit card debt and his problems with credit card and what he did when he was running the party apparatus with credit cards, i've heard about it for years. you'll have to find out. >> [inaudible] mr. trump: well, he has a very bad record of finances if you look what happened with his houses. he certainly lives above his means, there's no question about
12:48 pm
that. >> [inaudible] mr. trump: well, we're going to look -- i tell you on the debates it's interesting because i don't really care that much. i want a room. i want a podium and let's get going because i don't really care that much. but a lot of the people that are candidates who i respect many of them. not all but i respect many of them. they felt it was very unfair because hillary clinton was given all soft balls. i mean, she wasn't asked one tough question. they didn't talk about her foundation. they didn't talk about any of the problems. they didn't talk about the emails. when the email problem came up, bernie sanders lost his whole campaign. i mean, what he did was so stupid from his standpoint. in order to get a one-minute sound bite of applause, he gave up emails. that was the end of his campaign. first of all, people aren't going to his rallies anymore. he's finished. so unless something happens to her with respect to the emails, she'll easily be the candidate. but i will say this, she only got softballs. that's all she got.
12:49 pm
and if you look at the way we were treated, it wasn't the same way. with that being said, i don't really care. yes? >> [inaudible] mr. trump: your name is? >> [inaudible] mr. trump: well, i think the republicans actually are doing a pretty good job overall. they coalesced that last debate. it really started with me. the guy asked me a question. i think harwood is probably finished as a credible reporter. he's a disaster. and it was such a horribly put question and so obvious, and the republicans coalesced around each other. it was actually pretty beautiful when you think about it. and all we want to do is be treated fairly. but with me, i don't care that much. just give me a podium. what i would say is this, the networks have made a fortune because of me. not because of anybody else. you know, they were saying that the last cycle, they had two
12:50 pm
million and one million people and the networks didn't want to broadcast it because nobody watched, ok. nobody wanted to watch. now they had 25 million people, 24 million people, 23 million people and 16 million people. i mean, give me a break. so somebody said, how did they get there? and actually "variety" and "hollywood reporter" who do report this stuff pretty well, much better than the political press, solely for one reason is trump. i'll take the credit. i tell you what i also want, i think that wounded warriors and our veterans should be given some of the enormous profits being made on these debates, enormous profits. by the way, beyond anything they ever envisioned. cnn was going to get $2,000 for a 30-second ad. they ended up getting $215,000. they went from $2,000 to $250,000 for a 30-second ad. the networks and cable are making a fortune and i think
12:51 pm
they should give some of the profits to the wounded warriors and the veterans. that's what i want. >> [inaudible] mr. trump: i'm giving them away. i'm giving the profits of my book, i'm giving them away to -- including the vets. ok. >> [inaudible] mr. trump: who you with? ok, good. new form of reporting. do you believe it? they used to come up with cameras. they used to come up with a cell phone. go ahead. speak fast. >> [inaudible] mr. trump: i have been amazing with respect to the hiring of women. this building was built as the head person who was fantastic by
12:52 pm
a woman and that was a time you didn't see it in the construction trades. i mean, it was totally unique. i have many, many executives upstairs and in different buildings that i have that are women. many. a proportion of 50%. might be over 50%. they get paid a lot of money. in many cases more man men doing the same job. so women have always appreciated that about me. in terms of employment, really a standout and i've been honored for doing so well with women. yes. yes, go ahead. french television. are you going to be voting? i don't think so. so let's go. we don't have to worry about the french right now. go ahead. >> [inaudible] mr. trump: what jeb bush was saying at the last debate, i don't know but he didn't say it well. what is your question, go ahead, behind you? you're with telemundo. oh, welcome. welcome to trump tower.
12:53 pm
i like telemundo. i like it better than univision. i'm selling it for $500 million. -- suing univision for $500 million. go ahead. >> [inaudible] mr. trump: because the country is doing so poorly. it's a very accurate title. because the country is doing so poorly. go ahead. >> [inaudible] mr. trump: that's good. they're going to have some demonstrations. good. because it will get higher ratings if they do. i think it's fine. look, i think they should demonstrate. ratings will go even higher. it's going to be one of the highest rated shows ever. and they're very excited about it. and i have a great relationship, as you know, from telemundo, with the hispanics. you've treated me actually very fairly. won the poll recently in nevada. won other polls and in nevada i
12:54 pm
think i got 37% and leading everybody. so i've had a great relationship with the hispanics. i have working for me thousands right now, thousands of hispanics. i've had tens of thousands of people over the years working for me. i'm a job machine. i'm a job machine. and one of the things that does come out in every single poll and every single survey is that nobody for the economy nobody's even close. i am two, three -- and you see that -- two, three, four, five times greater than anybody else. and you almost say like it's about the jobs, it's about the economy, then how is anybody going to beat trump, in all fairness? i've had a great relationship with the workers, i've had a great relationship with jobs and i've had an amazing relationship with the hispanics. i predict i'm going to win the hispanic vote. i think i'm going to win the hispanic vote. yeah, i think i'm going to get the nomination and i will win the white house.
12:55 pm
i think beating hillary clinton is going to be easy because her record is so bad. ok. go ahead. >> [inaudible] mr. trump: that's the question i like. how am i preparing for my "snl"? well, i'm meeting with loren michaels in a little while. later on. we're going to sign -- i guess thousands of people online, but we're going to sign and then later on this evening i'm meeting with loren michaels and the whole staff and we'll start the preparation. we'll pick our skits. am i nervous? not too nervous. not too nervous. we'll do a good job and we're going to have a fantastic show. we're all going to have a lot of fun. my jeb impression, no, i don't want to do that. i don't like showing a person sleeping at a podium. [laughter] mr. trump: tom is asking, can jeb make a comeback? think it's going to be very hard. very hard. not about money. i came up with the energy.
12:56 pm
and i just think we need tremendous energy because we need a person that has tremendous personal energy to get us back on track. you can't do that when you don't have that. i think marco is highly overrated. highly overrated. he doesn't have it. and all you have to do is look at his stance on things. jeb, he lacks the quality that you need. we're talking about everybody in the world is ripping us off. you need a very strong person with tremendous energy. thank you very much, folks. i'll take the job. but -- and it's so important. and by the way, ben carson does not have that energy. we need somebody with tremendous energy to straighten out the military, to straighten out isis, to straighten out our horrible trade deals and deal with obamacare. come up with something that are for far less money. you need someone with personal
12:57 pm
energy as president. we have a president right now that doesn't have energy. you think obama has energy, he has no energy and he's been a horrible president. we need somebody with great personal energy as a leader so that we can make great deals with other countries and do well in every other respect. and certainly jeb does not have that energy, in my opinion. >> [inaudible] mr. trump: you are where? from "the guardian." they treat me very nicely in scotland. go ahead. good. thank you. >> [inaudible] mr. trump: well, we just went over that, honestly. we just went over that. it's only going to make it hotter. ok. another question. go ahead. say it again. >> [inaudible]
12:58 pm
mr. trump: you're going to see what we're going to do. you're going to see. but the whole thing with anchor babies i was right. a person has a baby, lives in mexico, lives in asia or -- has a baby, walks across the border, has the baby here. now we're responsible for that person for the next 85 years. i don't think so. and by the way, i was right, they were wrong. the 14th amendment does not give them clearance on that. and if you wanted to do that in mexico or if you wanted to do that in almost any other country where you have a baby in that country and that country has that person for 85 years, including all of the costs of that person, they would laugh you right out of the country. you would be laughed out of the country so fast so that turned out i was 100% right. we'll have to worry about that. we're going to take care of it and it's going to be done in a very humane way but we're going to bring back our country and we're going to have a wall and
12:59 pm
mexico's going to pay for the wall. you know why they're going to pay? and i have great relationships with mexico and phenomenal relationships with the mexican people. phenomenal. they buy apartments from me. they work for me by the thousands, by the thousands. phenomenal relationships, but let me just tell you. we lose so much money with mexico in terms of trade imbalance. $45 billion last year. plus we give mexico billions and billions of dollars. they will pay for the wall and it will be very interesting. and you know what? people are going to come into this country but they're going to come in legally, sarah. ok. yeah, go ahead. "italian daily news." >> [inaudible] mr. trump: can you talk louder? nobody can hear. >> [inaudible]
1:00 pm
mr. trump: a lot of european -- he's from italy. a lot of the european countries are going to build walls to stop the immigration. well, walls work. walls to stop the immigration. walls work. all you have to do is ask is real. not the walls that these characters, these politicians that we have running our country, our a disgrace -- they built a wall this big. they drive cars right through it. walls work. all you have to do is go and see israel. ok, go ahead. go ahead. >> [inaudible] mr. trump: yeah. we need pomp and circumstance. good question, actually. our country has. our country has no gravitas.
1:01 pm
our country doesn't feel good about itself. and the primary reason is we have no victories. where have we had a victory? where have we had a victory in trade? where have we had a victory -- as an example, this horrible deal with iran. we lose everything. we lose everything. it is a laughingstock. the worst deal. we have no victories. and i do write about it. we need some pop and circumstance. we needs. . we need a cheerleader. -- we need spirit, we need a cheerleader. obamae thing i thought would be a good cheerleader for the country, he is not. he has been one of the great dividers of all time. i am not saying -- [indiscernible] -- it has to do with the fact that what he says is very divisive. he has been a great divider for this country. and that should not have happened. ok.
1:02 pm
yes? >> [inaudible] anyway they want. i don't care too much about the debates. i am the one who gets all the nasty questions anyway. in a certain way, maybe they are defending me, although i will tell you, they are not doing it for that reason. i think it is irrelevant. i like the debates, i have done well in the debates. as you know, every single poll said i won all three debates. i certainly didn't do badly. every single full, even cnbc's poll said i won the debate. so i like the debates. me,ink there are good for but we have to be treated a little bit fairly. as an example, hillary clinton. no tough questions. i mean, why didn't they ask about bill, why didn't they ask about all the different things? no tough questions.
1:03 pm
that was staged by the democrats. frankly, they did a very smart thing in the way they staged this. as far as i'm concerned, i really don't care that much. i just want a debate. i think it is healthy, gets everything into the open. but you don't want people like him who read a question -- his career, in my opinion, his career is properly -- probably ruined or certainly threatened. you can ask about anything you want. hillary had only softballs all night long. it was like this, here, hillary, hit this one over the park. yeah, go ahead. >> [inaudible] mr. trump: are you from russia? all right. i think our relationship with russia will be very good. vladimir putin was on 60 minutes with me three weeks ago. putin. and they have one of the highest
1:04 pm
ratings they have had in a long time. so i'm going to give him total credit. but we will have a very good relationship, i think, with russia. maybe we won't, but i believe we will have a very good relationship with russia. i believe i will have a very good relationship with putin. go ahead. >> [inaudible] orangeburg sounds ok to me -- mr. trump: sounds ok to me. yeah, go ahead. >> [inaudible] well, i think there are a lot of economic issues. we didn't talk about trade, devaluations, right? we didn't talk about corporate inversions, which, by the way, none of the other candidates, they don't even know what it means. when companies are leaving our , massive countries, because they can't get their money back and they are getting lower countries elsewhere.
1:05 pm
they are leaving and taking their jobs with them. the corporate inversion syndrome is a very important thing to be talked about. instead they talked about fantasy football. it was a big question. i am saying, what about corporate inversion? $2.5 trillion at least. i think it is probably twice that number. because our system is so corrupt and terrible, they can't get their money back to invest in this country. so they don't talk about corporate inversions at the debate, they talk about fantasy football. yeah, go ahead, sarah. >> [inaudible] mr. trump: you have to talk loud enough. >> [inaudible] mr. trump: right. >> [inaudible] mr. trump: i was against the war in iraq, yes, very early on. i will give it to you. yeah, i have it upstairs. >> [inaudible] mr. trump: i don't know. i will give it to you upstairs.
1:06 pm
you have to understand, i was a developer. a lot of people didn't care about my view. but there was a reuters article taken from a magazine about my stance in 2000 and four -- two thousand four, i believe, and it talked about my stance on how i felt about iraq. i said very strongly exactly what happened. you will destabilize the middle east, and when you destabilize the middle east, iran will take over iraq. that is exactly what is happening. and he will take over the oil reserves. in addition, other things will happen. the other things are isis. that was from a nautical that was taken from a magazine. i have felt that for a long time. >> [inaudible] your best that is question that you have ever asked me, sarah. sarah, finally you are asking me this great question. sarah from cnn. terrific person. do i think that it is time for
1:07 pm
some of the other republicans in the race that are registering a zero -- in a couple of cases, they have zero with an arrow pointing left, which i assume is a mistake because that is less than zero. do i think it is time to have some of the other republican candidates drop out? yes. there are too many people. well, i don't want to get personal, but you can look at the poll numbers. if a person has been campaigning for four or five months and they are at zero or one or two, they should get out. like, you know, look at me. i go to florida and look at the numbers that just came out. 37%. georgia. those are real numbers. these numbers that these people have -- i often ask myself, what are they doing? do they do this for their brands? i think it is very bad for their brand. i think walker did a good thing.
1:08 pm
he saw it wasn't happening, wasn't going to happen, and he just got out quickly. he was favored, don't forget. that was before trump was going to happen, right? but he was favored for a period of time. what happened is he got out. i think the way he got out was great. i think you did a really smart thing for himself. frankly, other people should get out because i would like to personally have more time to talk about the problems of the united states, and more importantly, how to solve the problems. people should get out. yes. >> [inaudible] mr. trump: eve anke. -- ivanka. it is true. i talk about my daughter. "he was just in "fortune
1:09 pm
magazine for something like woman of the year, which is great. just say hello, ok? is going to be very involved very soon. oh, ivanka is going to iowa. very soon. good question. >> [inaudible] mr. trump: i would say -- i don't see threats. whatever it is i have to do. what are the top threats to your candidacy? who knows. you are in a crazy world of politics. i'm going to make america great again. nobody else is going to be able to do this. i am going to make it better than ever before. and i think that is awfully tough to compete with. one of the reasons that in my book i put financials and there. i showed some of the development, and i have many, many more because they kept me
1:10 pm
to eight or nine pages, right? i showed some of the great developments that are so successful and so incredible and so financially good, i show my financial statement from a year and a half, two years ago. now it is even better. but we didn't have that certified yet. i do that not in a braggadocio's way, i do that because that is the kind of thinking our country needs right now. we are run by people that are in competent. we are run by people who, in so many words, i hate to use the word stupid, but you have to use that word unless they have bad intentions, which i don't believe they do. but we are run by incompetent people. there are some of the things -- like i mentioned corporate inversion. the democrats want the money to come back. the republicans want the money to come back. for three years, the democrats have said we want the money to come back.
1:11 pm
for three years, the democrats and the republican agreed 100%. you have a fast maturity, maybe everybody, for three years. guess what? a haven't done anything, right? they can't even get along when they agree. he is a thing where we can take trillions of dollars, bring it back to this country, rebuild big parts of our countries with it, companies can spend that money in our country. everybody agrees it should be done for years, and they can't do it. that is part of the problem. look, a lot of controversy. a lot of controversy. there are those people who probably wouldn't want him to back. but we will see. go ahead. >> [inaudible] mr. trump: oh, they will agree. they will agree. they just didn't want to go through the unfair questions because they were questioned, they were statement. in awere giving statements
1:12 pm
sarcastic, disgusting way. i think becky is terrific and i think carl is terrific, but i think john harwood is not very good at what he does. but i think becky is a terrific person. i think carl is a terrific person. but i will tell you, john harwood was a disgrace to cnbc. yeah, go ahead. >> [inaudible] well, the threat -- it is really an interesting question actually. the question is should the fed raise rates. they are not raising them because of obama has asked them not to raise them. in my opinion, he wants to get out of office because we are in a bubble. and when those rates are raised, a lot of bad things are going to happen or potentially going to happen. ismy opinion, janet yellen highly political and she is not raising rates for a very specific reason: because obama told her not to.
1:13 pm
because he wants to be out playing golf in a year from now, and he wants to be doing other things and he doesn't want to see a big bubble burst during his administration. janet yellen should have raised the rates. she is not doing it because the obama administration and the president doesn't want her to. if she doesn't, you see what happens every town there is even a thought it one of the problems that we have is our currency right now is not competitive with other currencies because if you look at the devaluations of china, of japan, of many, many different countries, they are making it impossible for our countries to compete with them because we don't have leaders that know how to say to china, don't do that, don't do that because if you do that, we are going to put a big fat tax on you. if you said that, they wouldn't do that. if you have the right message. how about one more question? i love how we. he always treats me so nice. who?
1:14 pm
yes. yes. >> [inaudible] really, i am focused on one very big collection. there are some pretty good elections. i am not watching any of them in particular. but i will be out there, we will be out voting. the election i am watching is the election for the presidency of the united states and that is going to be, in my opinion, this will be truly one of the most important elections we have ever had in this country. we are so far behind, and we cannot go another four years with incompetent leadership. fine. >> [inaudible] mr. trump: ok. what else? >> [inaudible] mr. trump: one more question. yeah, go ahead. go ahead. >> [inaudible] mr. trump: that is a good question. ok. simon and schuster came up to me, they wanted to do a book. they wanted to do one on success
1:15 pm
and how do you build it. that is what the book is largely about, but we talk so much about the country. i said, we will do it, but we have to talk about the country. they sent this incredible photographer up to do a book cover, and he did some great -- almost as good as you, my friend over here -- did some great photos. i am happy, i looked good, everything was fine. one, and it turned out to be a nasty picture. and then the book was written, and the title was given, and the only really terrible picture i had was that one. a terrible, horrible, nasty picture. but when you are talking about crippled america and you are talking about all the problems we have, i can't have a big smiley face on there. so that is how we picked it. we took the worst photo of me. i would have loved to have a beautiful smiling picture, but somehow that doesn't go with the
1:16 pm
book. and simon & schuster agreed with me, ok? >> [inaudible] mr. trump: say it again? what? >> [inaudible] mr. trump: are the other republicans afraid to debate? well, some of them should be. thank you very much, everybody. thank you. simon and schuster, thank you. louise, thank you. >> [applause] >> [indiscernible] >> [indistinct chatter] [captions copyright national cable satellite corp. 2015] [captioning performed by the national captioning institute, which is responsible for its caption content and accuracy. visit ncicap.org]
1:17 pm
>> [inaudible]
1:18 pm
>> ♪ announcer: a live picture from clafin university in orangeburg, south carolina, where a campaign event with hillary clinton should be getting started shortly. she will be participating in a town hall meeting hosted by the state's legislative black caucus. scheduled to begin now. we expect it to get started in a few moments. live road to the white house coverage on c-span. >> [singing] ♪
1:19 pm
♪ >> [singing] ♪
1:20 pm
[singing] ♪
1:21 pm
>> ladies and gentlemen, andy mitchell. >> -- university, it is great to see everyone here on this beautiful saturday afternoon. i know we are all excited to see secretary clinton. roland martin is an award-winning gentlemen, author, and host. the first daily morning news program to focus on sports, culture, and the news of the day, exclusively from an african-american perspective. you may have seen him on cnn or heard him on morning shows, or maybe you read one of his great books. roland grew up in houston, texas , and he went to texas a&m. he later went on to become an editor. he was also interviewed -- he has also interviewed multiple
1:22 pm
presidents, and perhaps he will interview a future one this afternoon. friends, please give a warm orangeburg welcome to roland martin. >> [applause] mr. martin: all right, all right. how are we doing? all right. glad to be back in south carolina. -- made some people upset last week. but they will get over it. look forward to having a great conversation here. hosturse, as he said, i am -- the host. we have the first and only national morning show that news ofo the african-americans. i am glad to be here at clafin, and we are looking for to a great conversation. we are live streaming this could we will take lots of -- we are
1:23 pm
live streaming this, and we will take lots of questions. i look for to that. let's not wait any longer. let me introduce to you right now, folks, democratic presidential candidate, hillary clinton. >> [applause] mr. martin: all right. mrs. clinton: thank you. it is great to be here. mr. martin: we did not could donate our outfits, just to let you know. mrs. clinton: i told him, you look pretty sharp. mr. martin: you know, black coast, black show, black network. mrs. clinton: [laughter] you have to show me how you do that. mr. martin: my dad has taught me well. mrs. clinton: [laughter] mr. martin: let's jump right
1:24 pm
into it. the job report came out for october. do you -- is there a need for a new deal 2.0 and a marginal plan that targets those most in need, as opposed to folks who say you can't do anything race-based, but if you do it needs-based, it will impact african-americans and latinos more than anything else? what is your plan for those who don't have the opportunities of others? mrs. clinton: first of all, i am really relieved and pleased that overall we are making progress. and i have gone across this country making the point that when president obama came into office, he inherited the worst financial crisis since the great depression. and he doesn't get the credit he deserves for baking -- digging us out of that big hole he was handed when he came in. >> [applause] mrs. clinton: so it has been a
1:25 pm
long, slow effort, which thanks to him and his leadership and many, many millions of americans, we are exactly where roland said we are, down to 5% employment -- unemployment. but incomes are not rising. we have two big problems. one, we had to get incomes to go back out. and number two, we have to get more good jobs. and we do have, in my opinion, a targeted effort at people and communities that have not had the benefits of the recovery us far -- thus far. we need, once and for all, to have a very big infrastructure program on our roads, bridges, tunnels, airports, rail system where we can put millions of people to work. number two, we need to combat climate change by becoming the clean energy superpower of the 21st century. that means putting up wind turbines and installing solar
1:26 pm
panels and doing energy efficiency work and all the work that will enable us not only to have the economy grow, but move away from fossil fuels. number three -- >> [applause] mrs. clinton: we need to start investing in small business. my particular hope is i can be the small business president. i want to focus on women and minority owned small businesses in our country. all of those things i think will make a difference. mr. martin: i want to deal with what you said about infrastructure. you talked about crating those jobs. historically, those labor unions have frozen us out. african-americans have not been able to get those construction jobs. so what would you say to those trade unions, stop freezing out black folks and other minorities from those opportunities? mrs. clinton: i think we have two problems. out, orople are frozen equally importantly, not sought out.
1:27 pm
i want to make sure every training program is reflective of our population. i want to provide an apprenticeship credit to companies, to unions, to others to train young people, particularly, but not just young anymore, roland. we have a lot of people who have lost their jobs were middle age and older, and they knew to be given special attention. labor unions are not the problem in much of the south because they are right to work states. so we have to make sure that anywhere we do for structure -- we do infrastructure, at the federal government has money in it, they must be a program for recruiting and hiring and, where necessary, training people from less advantaged communities. and that is going to be my -- mr. martin: you talked about the issue of small businesses. journal," $29.9 billion handed out for small
1:28 pm
business loans. of in the last year president bush, it was a .2% for african-americans. the housing crisis had a lot to do with that. that,re trying to improve but that is a perfect example. you have 1.9 million black-owned businesses who cannot get access to capital. how will you lose allies -- how will you utilize the federal government to expand as opposed of $23in, getting 1.7% billion? mrs. clinton: when i was a senator from new york, this is one of the big issues i had because the federal government has a lot of contracts, but sometimes it is difficult for small businesses to know how to apply for those contracts. so i used to run a procurement outreach program, and a big conference where we sought out small businesses.
1:29 pm
and again, with a special emphasis on minority and women owned businesses. i think we have to do that all the time. you've got to have a much more vigorous effort to reach out and help people, number one, apply for the contracts that are available. there is, and i agree with this, there is a preference and the law for small businesses that are minority and women owned. i want to make sure that preference is translated into benefits and doesn't just sit on the books. mr. martin: but also have bureaucrats who make the job -- mrs. clinton: 100%. in my administration, what i want to do is set some goals and tell the people who work for me, this is what i want you to do. and if we really measure what we are doing, we can get results and we can change outcomes, i believe. mr. martin: 2010, i him eating at the treasury department with two officials who said that black and hispanic firms
1:30 pm
outperformed everyone out on the management of funds. my follow-up question was, did they get more money? the answer was no. what you have here, you have a good old boy situation largely white from the treasury department. is there a perfect example of if you are president, you will tell your treasury secretary, you are to do what jackson did, put economic power -- political power. what harrison did was say, no, you are going to expand those opportunities. if they are outperforming everybody else, they should get more business. mrs. clinton: if someone tells you that a group or a person is outperforming everybody else, your question is the right question. are you going to reward that person or business? my answer is yes. i think that when you look at the economy, there are opportunities that we are not
1:31 pm
communitiesehalf of and individuals. and i don't think there is any doubt at all that we've got to do more to open doors and to rebuild those ladders of opportunity. when it comes to businesses, small business, minority and women owned, i am going to be vigilant and i'm going to drive people to get results. what i like about what you said is we are not doing this as charity, we are doing this as business. when they do well, we need to reward that. mr. martin: last seven years, 53% of black -- mrs. clinton: you talk so fast. am i talking too fast in response jack a razor -- response? raise your hand if you think we are talking too fast. mr. martin: i've got other stuff to ask. mrs. clinton: i know, i know. mr. martin: 53% of black wealth was wiped out in the home foreclosure process. rren said itrd -- wa
1:32 pm
will take two generations just for african-americans to recoup that money. one thing our government did not do -- and i will say this here -- one of the greatest failures of the obama administration has been there housing policy. will you, if you are president, forced the federal housing finance agency to write down the principle of underwater homeowners and will you modify -- push congress to modify the code so that the people who have homes can maintain those homes and not simply bail out banks and not bail out homeowners? mrs. clinton: i advocated that to back in 2007 and 2008, roland. in fact, i was very unhappy that we did not do enough to help people in their homes save their homes. i will look for ways to, number one, stop the damage so that we don't lose more homes because people still haven't recovered.
1:33 pm
but number two, we've got to get back into the home ownership business. and a lot of financial institutions are reluctant to loan. and they are more reluctant to loan to african-american and latino -- mr. martin: -- now they are simply -- [indiscernible] mrs. clinton: and i don't agree with that. i think that is wrong. now we are starting to see some of the bad behavior coming from the folks who want to those homes. they are forcing people out. a big article today about misleading people and forcing them to turn over their home under false pretenses. so, you are right, what happened in 2007, 2008 is just beyond horrible. 9 million people lost their jobs. 5 million lost their homes. and $13 trillion in family wealth was wiped out, most of it in homeownership, but also iras, 401(k)s, college funds.
1:34 pm
we have a lot of catching up to do, and it is not enough if just some people recover. i want to do it i can to help everybody recover. >> [applause] college and i interviewed the birmingham news. all 16 editors there wanted to hire me. but to the hr department said, no because of my credit report. there are an increasing number of people across the country to deny jobs for credit report. do you support the bill that deals with the issue of repairing the fair credit act? cases wiping most out requirements to have folks go through credit checks when they are applying to jobs? mrs. clinton: you know, that is -- i generally agree with that.
1:35 pm
i don't know the specific of the legislation, but i will obviously look at it immediately. one, sometimes credit reports are wrong. but let's deal with that problem -- mr. martin: and her act deals with that. mrs. clinton: yes. and that is a serious problem for a lot of people. secondly, i think a lot of credit problems, particularly for young people, have to do with student debt, have to do with credit cards that they had to use in order to stay in college, in order to be able to get their education. there are a lot of reasons why i don't think you should have credit reports following you around like some anchor that you have to carry with you. so, yeah, i want people to be responsible, but i also want to make sure you've got a second chance. and it shouldn't be that you are denied a job that has nothing to do, as i understand working for the birmingham newspaper would have with your credit score. so we need to take a hard look at that. mr. martin: last friday, you
1:36 pm
were in atlanta. there were people there interrupting your speech. some people chanted, "black lives matter." but do you fully understand the reticence of some folks when president her your signed into law the crime deal that has contributed to the mass incarceration problem? he signed the welfare or bill -- the welfare bill. do you understand the sentiment to echo and why not roll out your entire criminal justice program at one time as opposed to individual speeches? mrs. clinton: first of all, i do understand the sense of frustration and disappointment and even outrage that young people, like those that were in atlanta last week, feel because there are a lot of things that need to be fixed. and they are impatient, and they deserve to be impatient. and they deserve to hear answers from people like me running for
1:37 pm
office. i have had some very good, open, productive conversations with representatives of the black lives matter movement. i wish they had listened because a lot of what we have talked about together are part of the proposals we are making. and the reason we rolled them out -- and this is an interesting point to make to you as a leading member of the press -- as you get more attention paid to them. if you put them out one day, it is a one day story. so we have been rolling out, starting with the very first speech i gave in this campaign back in, i don't know, march or april about criminal justice reform, and we are going to keep doing that because i want people to look at what i am proposing. we are going to reduce minimum mandatory sentences. we are finally going to reduce the difference between powder and crack cocaine, which has been a terrible, unfair burden.
1:38 pm
we are going to ban the box and let people apply for jobs. and only at the and come if they get to that at be end, if they get to that end, they can talk about whatever record they have. agenda,a very robust and i feel very committed to this trade and i particularly want young people who share the inpatients and the disappointment -- and, you know, i think we should talk about going forward, but i will say back in the 1990's, that bill was in response to a horrific decade of crime. and leaders of the communities of color and poor communities were in the forefront saying, you must do something. and it was done. and it did have a lot of positive, but also negative unintended consequences. that is why we have to take another look. that is what a democracy should do. mr. martin: we are going to go
1:39 pm
to questions, but you mentioned mandatory minimums. why not get rid of all of them and allowed just is -- judges to have discretion to echo you have some folks -- discretion? mr. martin: well, we want to get rid -- mrs. clinton: well, we want to get rid of the as a way offfenses going into jail. but this is like everything else. it cuts both ways. if you reduce the mandatory minimums, i believe then we can see does it reduce discrimination? and discrimination can be on both sides because what happens right now is that african-american men are far more likely to be arrested, to be charged, to be convicted, to be incarcerated for doing the same things as white men. so we want to reduce those minimums, but we also don't want to open the door to a different form of discrimination. we are looking hard at how this
1:40 pm
would be a pride in the real world. mr. martin: questions? >> secretary clinton, thank you so much for being held this afternoon. i have elderly parents, a 16-year-old these and nephew preparing for college. but my main question is: what is the plan of accountability for companies for disparities in pay between men and women? and how can we as women in short that we are receiving equal pay for the same work? mrs. clinton: amen. amen. you know, i have to tell you, i do not do a town hall anywhere in america without being asked this question. and for all those republicans who say this is not a real world problem, i wish they would come to my town halls because i don't know who they are talking to because it is. and i think -- i think there are several things we do. number one, just talking about it. making sure people can't ignore it or diminish it or pretend it is someone else's problem.
1:41 pm
but then we have to force the laws -- enforce the laws that are already on the books. this is not just a women's issue, this is a family issue. and the other thing is one of the things -- and you got right to it -- one of the things that stands in the way of knowing how widespread this is is the fact that in many businesses you can be fired for asking somebody else in the business how much they are paid. so a lot of women don't know they are being paid less than the men that they are working beside, doing the same job. that is what happened to lily, the woman in alabama who had worked in a big factory for years. she got promoted ok. she became the first woman foreman, i guess, or woman fore woman, and it was only by accident that she learned although there were four or five men during the exact same job, she was being paid less.
1:42 pm
so i want to remove any doubt that transparency is acceptable, and if there needs to be changes in the rules or the laws about businesses so that they cannot retaliate, so that you can find out how mature are being paid so you can compare your pay to other workers in the same situation, i will tell you a really quick torry, a young man came up to me in new hampshire and said -- he was in his mid to late 20's -- he said his first real job was working at a cashier at the same store his mother worked in. he was 17 and he was so proud because this was like his first job, and he got it because his mother introduced him to somebody. he comes home with his first paycheck. his mother looks at it and her face falls. she tells him you are making a dollar more an hour than i am and i have been there for years. so he went to find out. and the manager said, well,
1:43 pm
yeah, you are a young man. we think you have a lot of potential to go up in the business. so we are going to tackle this and we are going to end it once and for all. >> [applause] mr. martin: another question here. go ahead. >> roland, first of all, thank you for all you do. i appreciate it. madam president. >> [laughter] mrs. clinton: your lips to god's years, right? -- ears, right? >> we have a problem here and most of the southern states and throughout the united states -- with guns. and we know the nra is just adamant about not doing anything to do away with these guns. but what we need to do is to find what will you do to get rid of all these guns that are on the streets that are in the
1:44 pm
homes that are inadvertently killing youngsters in their homes? what will you do to help us out with that? mrs. clinton: this is an issue that i just think we have got to address. i understand how politically challenging it is. 90 people a day die in our country from guns. homicides, suicides, and avoidable accidents, like what the gentleman was referring to. that peopleperative make this a voting issue. i know we can balance the legitimate rights of gun owners with the right to be safe going to school are going to church. control overhave what happens in people going to stores to buy guns who shouldn't have them. so here is what i am proposing.
1:45 pm
number one, we need universal background checks for real. we need to close the gun show loophole. we need to close the online loophole because people are buying guns and ammunition online. you have no idea who they are, and we know some of the mass murderers, that is how they got what they used to kill people. we need to close what is called the charleston loophole. the charleston loophole is, unfortunately, what enabled that young man to get a gun he was not entitled to. he was a felon. he had a felony conviction. but under the rules, three business days is all you get to find out. and the information hadn't been shared between two jurisdictions, so after three days, he went and he got that gone and he went to mother emmanuel and he murdered those nine wonderful people. and then we need to remove the immunity that gun makers and sellers have. they are the only industry in
1:46 pm
america that we give blanket immunity to. required tohould be apply technology that currently exists so that guns owned by responsible adults cannot be if they by children, or are stolen, cannot be used by criminals. and what i am just appalled at the numbers of young children -- i'm talking toddlers -- to go into a closet or go under a bad or opena drawer -- bed marriage or an there is a gun. and they kill themselves, they kill their siblings, they kill their friends, they injure people. that is crazy, my friends. powerful, but are i think the american people are more powerful. and the right to life is the most powerful of all. mr. martin: we are on the campus
1:47 pm
of an historically black college. plans? your hbcu because we talk about black doctors and black lawyers and black engineers. and will you reverse the obama administration's loan change that led to 15,000 students not coming back to hbcu campuses, millions of dollars lost? will you reverse that policy and what is your plan to assist? mrs. clinton: i have what is called, roland, my new college compact. it would affect both state and class in this way. if you are going to a public college or university, you will not have to borrow money to pay for tuition, and you will be able to use your power grant, if grant, if you get one, for living expenses. we are going to make it possible
1:48 pm
or young people to go to college, finish college, and graduate without that that. that will help the public hbcu's because they will certainly be included. i have a special provision of a pot of $25 billion for hbcu's, including private institutions, the cousin i agree completely with what roland said. these are the places that graduate black professionals. and we need to more, not fewer. and i will reverse the impact of the load changes. mr. martin: -- you say you will reverse -- mrs. clinton: yes. first of all, my plan will mean that it is not necessary. but for those young people who dropped out, we have to figure out how to get them back in. >> [applause] mr. martin: question. >> good afternoon, secretary clinton, and thank you so much for coming to south carolina and orangeburg. as you know, we have lost a lot of textile jobs here in south
1:49 pm
carolina over the past years, and my questions are: do you think your husband was right in signing nafta into law? and what will your administration do to bring back industrial base jobs to south carolina -- based jobs to south carolina? mrs. clinton: i know how controversial trade has been in south carolina, and south carolina is a classic case of winners and losers because of trade. jobs, not just through nafta, but through differences in cost of production went to asia as well. so i don't feel we can blame the loss of the textile industry on nafta. i think it was broader than that. nafta may have opened the door more widely for jobs to go to mexico, but textile jobs were under global pressure, even without nafta. what does that mean because the
1:50 pm
other side of the equation is that south carolina has attracted a great number of car companies, more advanced manufacturing companies? so it is kind of a news-bad news story. what i want to do is make it internally recruit within united states and externally from abroad more jobs -- and i'm not sure we can get textile jobs back unless they are more sophisticated, recording higher levels of expertise in the dying and the printing and whatever else is required -- but i do think we can get more advanced manufacturing jobs back if we provide more tax credit and more tech-support. if we do what i said at the very beginning, have more apprenticeship programs so we are training our workforce right here at home. the community college system is one of our biggest advantages in any measurement of how we can be
1:51 pm
successful. and i have been to a good community college outside of charleston, which is doing these apprenticeship programs. but let me just say, we are not going to get those jobs back unless we have skilled workers to be able to do them. and that is where education comes in. because we have still too many people who don't have the skills that are required to do the advanced manufacturing. so i want a nationwide effort paid but the focus on poorer states, like south carolina, to do more in a kind of, as you are saying, a new new deal or training program so we actually take seriously the idea we can get and keep these jobs. it is one of the reasons i came out against the transpacific partnership bill because we have to trade. we are 5% of the worlds population. we have to build things and sell
1:52 pm
things to the other 95%. people who are against trade no matter what i think are kind of missing the point. we need smart trade and fair trade and affective trade. and we need to exit with taking with need to mix it taking care of our own people. if you open the door to trade, which i am all for, you have to make sure that you have people in your own country who are able to compete for those jobs. the republicans are not for job training, they are not for rescaling the workforce. they don't want to spend any money on that. and i'm holding out to say, ok, we can do trade, but we can only do trade that is going to benefit the american people across the board if we invest in our own people and we give them the skills and opportunities to be successful. mr. martin: question. >> [applause] >> hello, my name is elaine cooper.
1:53 pm
and i am from columbia, south carolina. i have a question. if you would address the voter suppression,,ter and -- and how our lines are drawn. i think a lot would help the situation with one comments that was brought up at the forum last night, and that is automatic registration of all 18-year-olds . automatically when you turn 18, you would be a registered voter. could you please comment? and how you would go about doing that? mrs. clinton: actually, i propose that. i was the first person to propose that when i gave a speech at southern texas university. and the reason i posted is because i believe strongly -- i proposed it is because i believe strongly that young people should be registered when they turn 18.
1:54 pm
for legal reasons, they can opt out of that, but i don't think the majority what. you raise a much bigger point. you know, when the supreme court -- and these are my words -- guarded the voting rights act -- gutting the voting rights act by rejecting the congress we -- reauthorizing it, and i was in the senate to then, we voted to be authorize the voting rights act. the supreme court was basically sending a message to political leaders that they could begin to try to find new ways to interfere with the right to vote. that may not have been their intention, but that has been the result. -- so all these photo id -- you know -- we do not have a problem of any magnitude whatsoever. our problem is not people illegally trying to vote. our problem is that legal folks are not doing what they should devote to make sure their voices to heard -- should to vote
1:55 pm
make sure their voices are heard. i am going to keep taking it on, and i think the supreme court was absolutely wrong. there is legislation now being promoted in -- proposed in the congress to undo the damage. but in the meantime, we need to have political action, litigation, mobilization against these efforts to suppress the vote. why are they doing that? there are some people they don't want to vote. alabama passed a voter id bill. and if they said, ok, one of the voter ids you can use is a drivers license with her picture on it. i don't believe they are necessary, but ok, you can use a voter id that way. then just a few months ago, they passed a bill and the governor asked to shut down the motor vehicle offices in the county's that have the biggest -- countie s that have the biggest black populations.
1:56 pm
i spent 18 wonderful years in arkansas and i learned a lot. and one of my favorite philosophy lessons is this: if you find a turtle on a fence post, it did not get there by accident. and so i went to alabama and i said, look, nobody can believe this. you don't close the offices in the counties with the biggest african-american vote and it is a coincidence. some people have got to stand up against this. i think there is time there be an outrage, an outpouring from communities across the state better during this -- across these states that are doing this. i will do everything i can to help get people registered to make sure people understand they meet whatever the requirements are, and they then turn out to vote. because we need to have a big turnout and the 2016 election. mr. martin: we conducted a poll of black pants, and we asked --
1:57 pm
parents, and we asked them a question about charters. 74% of black parents said they were interested in enrolling their kids in charter schools. folks are still waiting for education to get right. do you support the expansion of charter schools and school vouchers? black parents say they are not satisfied with what is happening in traditional schools. mrs. clinton: i have, for many years now, about 30 years, supported the idea of charter schools. but not as a substitute for the public schools, but as a supplement for the public schools. >> [applause] mrs. clinton: and what i have -- what i have worked on through my work with the children's defense fund and my work and education in arkansas and through my time as first lady and senator is to continue to say charter schools can have a purpose, but there
1:58 pm
are good charter schools and there are bad charter schools. just like there are good public schools and there are bad public schools. mr. martin: so let's get rid of all the bad. mrs. clinton: but the original idea, roland, was to learn what worked and then apply them in the public schools. here is a couple of problems. most charter schools -- i do want to see everyone one -- most charter schools don't take the hardest to teach kids. or if they do, they don't keep them. and so the public schools are situation no-win because they do, thankfully, take everybody. and then they don't get the resources and help and support that they need to be able to take care of every child's education. so i want parents to be able to exercise choice within the public school system. not outside of it. but within it because i am still a firm believer that the public school system is one of the real
1:59 pm
pillars of our democracy. and it is a path for opportunity. but i am also fully aware that there are a lot of substandard public schools. but part of the reason for that is that policymakers and local politicians will not fund schools in poor areas that take care of poor children to the level that they need to do. and you could get me going on this because the corridor of shame right here in south carolina, you get on their and you can see schools -- there and you can see schools that are literally falling apart. i have seen the terrible physical conditions. it is an outrage. to send any child to a school that you wouldn't send your own child to. and so, we have a lot of work to do to make sure that public schools serve people, but that doesn't mean we also provide options within the system so
2:00 pm
that parents can find what they think might work best for their kid. >> hello. i'm a senior here. graduating from university, our first thought is we have two avenues. we can go to grad school or the workforce. it's mostly to pay back loans and stuff that we have the students. your starting every shuffling campaign for your listening to get between the minimum wage in the top payers. you also put a cap on the top over the waterfall keep going upwards as people are being paid more? mrs. clinton: let me say this about student debt. i want to be able to refinance everybody's student debt so you will save thousands of dollars and the amount you have to pay back will be manageable for you. now is youngning people graduate with all this debt and you often have to go into the workforce because you have to pay back. i want t

11 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on