Skip to main content

tv   Muslims and the Media  CSPAN  December 19, 2015 11:30pm-12:51am EST

11:30 pm
please this conversation is yours i'm just kick it off. with all that is going on, we're talking about an intersection between old media and new media. megan and tiffany u-boats in an old media. you work in television and one of the largest newspapers. you have been a pioneer of looking at new media. observationr broad about how the landscape has changed during your career? changing? is a real jason we're seeing? is it more noise than substance?
11:31 pm
is supposed to all the love the work season. i think we are seasons media. absolutely. i've been with cbs for 17 years now. as a changed? absolutely. exponentially. i look out into the primary now i see a lot of or had. it's almost an extension of our hands now. definitely it has changed everything is also immediate and fast. for me with issue press releases and take a while. everything i would say right now is much more immediate and regardless if it is factually accurate.
11:32 pm
it does nott it -- matter if it is true area. that has changed more than anything. it is no longer that we have the wings of the -- 6:00 or 11:00 news. it is immediate. the first thing you look at it the person you check. i want to tweet about it on facebook elena tell everyone. that has changed remarkably since i started on this business. thatrtainly is something -- i was talking about always tough to call the library. limit help you locate a person. that's certainly a challenge.
11:33 pm
also exciting because there's an immediate the. change usagesal publish the newspaper and you would hear from or in our readers through letters to the editor. he still had printed messages on paper and you have to go to the operator to get it. where i think the new landscape can be exciting is that you can talk to people more directly. you can find out more about people. you have to make your that you are accurate. is a condition that. only through with strewn with dr. once rumored once was lots to the sensitivity
11:34 pm
repercussions of making the day or overstating understating information is a challenge. example, every story we read about san bernardino we have to make sure was moderated because we knew immediately what kind of comments we get. there's a difference between a constructive conversation questions about an issue and hate speech. think were trying to figure out where that -- where the value lies. i do have an honest conversation. somethingg of the that pollutes what you're trying to discuss. i remember finding myself in silicon valley in the 90's surrounded by the question.
11:35 pm
this new media being the one that places an old one. there driven by the same -- the medium is the message. i think those people did not realize the -- what they were writing. it started with multimedia that with the internet then went to social media. revolution,fter we've come all this way. we're still trying to grapple with what that means. if you look at the system wearing now, -- the system we are in now. easier toe it is much put out sensationalist or violent or agitating themes that peaceful ones. the internet favors extreme
11:36 pm
beach. when peoplething -- talk about extremists each versus moderate speech, they have a leg up. thing is that people's attention spans have been driven to tweak things. i do you capture big ideas and small information. lisa cholodenko tree. attention spans have gotten so small. what we're finding is people tweeting? they're posting the traditional stuff they used to bash. within 15 years at sea value to nothing. that will report. it actually constitutes the content.
11:37 pm
it emerged to trash it but it is based on it now. we're finding solid journalism coming back. people are starting to do much more traditional -- i feel like we've come full circle. we're still in the middle of that revolution. you encounter all the turbulent people for 10 years were saying that. i think we need to do is go back to the basics. start as ourselves the medium is not the message. maybe the message is the message. maybe go back to snorkeling. this has now been democratized. people can tell stories in a tweet.
11:38 pm
muslims have embraced that media to influence the media. we just started down this journey. i don't know where will end up, but i hope it will end in ways where we do understand each other. this hostility is a horrible place to be if you are a woman or fewer some of people not familiar with. i do think these things will pass sure. as the majority of us realize ie opportunity that we have, am hopeful. >> one thing i would like to say that a lot of times when we talk
11:39 pm
about negative comments were negativity wins, i feel that people feel they are 10 feet tall by the computer or phone. say whatever you want because you don't physically have to face the ramifications of talking to someone face-to-face. and the thing would talk about negativity is i am an internal optimist. when you ask someone how they are doing in the sand great, no one ever asked how great? it's one of those things where if you say i'm doing sick much over, we can talk about that over and over again similar to what happens online with the gets heated. thery loves company area urgency of now, particularly hasking news situation
11:40 pm
impacted decision-making. changedou think it is at the l.a. times from when it was a daily newspaper to around-the-clock news cycle. particularly when new information is being contributed online. >> how that is infecting decision-making at the los angeles times, perhaps even about what constitutes a good sport these days. what may prevent speculation. >> i can talk a little bit about what happened on what the morning. somethinggly enough, was amiss in san bernardino -- it was a tweet the fire departments and tell they never was wanting to shooting that have up to 20 victims.
11:41 pm
most newsrooms now have someone constantly monitoring news on social media. you might hear something incorrectly follow up on it. the other night distance of a pilot was found dead in the first and -- indication was. you are and that you investigate. i thought immediately of that the number be right? i got up i walked to the floor and started having people well. we confirmed with the fire department that that was the information they had started listening to the police did our. police scanner. they sometimes speculate on there. just like social media it is something you would not report directly.
11:42 pm
since i think probably three whileers immediately they're heading their we're struckto work on sources to figure out what we thought we knew. really we're trying to figure out how we operate in this era. i would have to room how many of are waiting for your newspaper in the morning to find out what happened in the world? the whole. i'm amazed. good for me. that mostld say is people are not waiting even if they get a newspaper area
11:43 pm
particularly if you choose that mike is that the broader implications were not clear. in his country we got to these mass shootings of the running regularity right now. this was something that was pretty unusual at one point in my career and now does not feel unusual of all. we have reporting from colorado springs. it is 17. newsnk as a respected source we bear responsibility fictionrating fact from regulation area i will take scott letterman. the first organization actually. other people instead of mr. without having a source. we were very careful to make sure everything we were working
11:44 pm
was true. we're talking before this i was saying we did not even connects the chase in the firefight with the police officer are's immediately. we did not connect them until it was elected. i was at a conference couple of years ago call the future of storytelling and one of the men that the conference who actually work in the music business was talking about how would music became available online and people to post to youtube and various other sources, a lot of people thought it has been democratized. taste makers won't matter as much because people will set with a light and he said that an interesting thing happened. becauseme suddenly more it's difficult to sort through everything out there.
11:45 pm
you still looking for someone to help you during and understand the new. why is is exactly someone who is in the rear -- the ringer journalism model rear it scares me. need forhere's a professionals to these be a part of the conversation. i'm not saying the should dominator troll, but have a conversation with them. >> a monster to you because a situation like san bernardino, there's a line between new media hollywood idea but why is it getting more blurred? the different kinds of things that are going on. i'm curious about how the events of energy no impact decision-making at the network.
11:46 pm
>> look to television to decide -- define social norms. yes it's for entertainment. however sometimes a lot of dramas will feature storylines that might be received as insensitive. the storyline look at the contents of the too many drugs the news? we look at those and make sure that we're big incident to the climate as well as our audience. even on supergirl would make sure that switch that particular episode. >> with the race for eye rolls. eyeballs. how does that impact decision-making review of the
11:47 pm
network? we don't to have the blue executive producers here because firstive -- behind the all-female cap broadly speaking. hulu isous how impacting the kinds of decisions for place like cbs television's. what yes it really is that we deal television will. a number one and most-watched absolutely makes you feel the television is very much significant. it still is the same in that sense. 16 to 15 years ago there were only be met. now you cannot go through all of these cable stations.
11:48 pm
think that anyone also right now that has a tribute concert greater. everyone has that voice and i think that's important also were talking about images and representation. all of that really matters. sure.know the impact being and starring roles of people of color, is that helping your job at the network? >> absolutely.
11:49 pm
anytime we would not -- you cannot say the word empire without everyone wanting on their schedule. any of the shows, but began will have to create their own where it is. sometimes they do it in a less traditional base. it's important for myself in the on these roles making sure we asked the russians when we look at casting list. does this really look like our america? is this what someone would actually a is as accurate? i know it doesn't have to be factual, but we have to be casting the widest that. what if these images shown? i think a lot of times there's a tremendous amount of unconscious why is. as well as conscious bias.
11:50 pm
have a great example of this. it was a world war firefighter. i said you know what what if we did asian-american female? the casting director said what the hell? said well the fire department and differences in doesn't even have an asian-american e-mail. muslims and particularly not the stereotypical, it becomes more moral. it helped me tremendously. it definitely helps the more that we can see that this is the new normal.
11:51 pm
>> all caps to vacuum up the question of eyeballs. there all caps of ethical questions involved here. i noticed that this morning the ,ront page of the l.a. times that photos from the inside of the apartment. how did that decision-making happen russian mark to what degree is it influenced by andalls versus news value? what do you feel is the media responsibility towards allowing investigation to take lace? >> is something we took time yesterday area we did have the furniture in the apartment. we did not immediately use that material because we wanted to assess what happened. that team had actually been cleared by long oarsmen. we were not going into an active
11:52 pm
team. it was boarded up because the windows have been shattered. the landlord later came out specific cleared. ultimately we decided to show images from inside because i think there was a news value to try and understand. is go inid not do and doith a life the things like moments the mother's drivers license which have a lot of information about her on it. if you have people who have no connection than being in part on the house. i feel like that's a problem in my situation tv i have to grapple with for years. and notn that moment
11:53 pm
taking time to assess the value of it. can hear some of the anchor say hold on to get in there. moments theit was a probably a lot of journalists are considering. how is the teaching moment? what is the news value # delegates money because we're ,ot the exact same situation our vehicle for being live is written and visual. i can sit back and watch most of -- live news broadcast. moment to the true. there were three shooters. mother worked. -- no there weren't.
11:54 pm
i think, the act of having to write it down make borrowing a little bit cautious. to connect you to this question. when we see politicians are others make decisions we agree something along those lines is basically it's in of what wasicature taking place for how the social media club on a way to hold public officials accountable russian mark i know you've been a force behind campaigns for good. can you add to this?
11:55 pm
>> we've been trying to figure out how we use this to empower average. one of those ways. they realized it was a lot of traction in #campaigns. they elevate the discourse to a much more cultural level. inconsistencies are facts or things like that it was about telling a story. #the, until the story of an ordinary live. we have sporting equipment. it's very humanizing thing.
11:56 pm
everyone is focusing on the self act. no one is focusing on the outer circle. the people in my community who grown up in my community. as a very intelligent way to go about that. id, we'remuslim trying to model by example ways that aren't grievant striven. the more we can respond in that way, the thing about social
11:57 pm
media is you cannot like men your audience. every audience is looking at you in exactly the way. >> please submit your questions if you're tweeting they will be incorporated. reviewers are mine to the same thing. have -- ituestion we seems the world we live in values shock value, what can be done to change the way we communicate to focus on peace in this act. >> this is the big dilemma of the time that we are in. to be assessed eckley and get something out there is not a skill everyone has. people have to learn how to be nuanced weekly. people always ask me how to get going on twitter? you practice
11:58 pm
tweeting. how do you convince a big idea into a few words of people want between? >> it just takes practice. i encourage people to get on twitter. not just because you want to get followed because of the great way to convince your thoughts. if you're on the stage people will take it and cut it out. should embrace it as a training mechanism. this is how you tell your story. >> the next question from the audience is for all of you. as decision-makers to drug trade and the m&a mass consumption, what would you get behind for >> american muslim unity?
11:59 pm
-- our one of the things youth. internships, i cannot tell you how many times -- once we hire forone nine times out of 10 anyone that is within the college career, apply for internship. be able toibility become more familiar. my current internet now it take. think the good is so wonderful for him. but for all of the employees in my hallway that he him every day and they're exposed to someone different. i would say that how do we
12:00 am
change the narrative, we can become more part of the conversation. it would be internship. getting into the door and making sure that your voice is heard. that's the one thing that we all can utilize on twitter on print journalism, it is making sure that you do have a voice and making people get to know you and not assume that they know because of what they appear. >> i would say along the same lines being active in fields and careers that have the influence to shape storylines is important. -- i thinkt about the fact that like in our newsroom we have a number of people who are muslim practicing, that influences your
12:01 am
daily experience. one of our photographers lives in san bernardino and arizona community for years. what can you tell us about this family? important.really it contextualizes and understands what happened beyond just dropping and from the city of l.a. and try to sort out. >> a dual people to take a step back and think about the way in the days after 9/11. usear people talking about in like a very comfortable logical way. now today when i turn on my tv i familiar faces talented people
12:02 am
people in this room are part of the conversation. i get contacted by reporters who are muslim cells. i see my people who started as loggers and became pundit. if you had on to that they are only active in hollywood. come along on way. look at the rising youtube stars. we're there. we had a mechanism to keep it moving. >> thank you. i want to shift back to television. regina k12 in any form for
12:03 am
trying a muslim character. that i think was a huge shop. there are shows like quantico the teacher characters in more and more roles will do you think is -- where the possibilities this is onerails? of the places. the most common criticisms of hollywood is the way that it relates to such a caricature. >> i think the possibilities are endless right now. there are so many more people that are writing. that's why when i was talking about internship and informational interviews, it is
12:04 am
so important to make sure that the boys with those creators are created can be seen as for dimensional people. as human beings that have lives. that eat pizza. i think the more we're able to see that the possibilities are endless. one cannot this year that are extremely proud of his we had an event with all of our acting directors and we had a real talk about whatever succumbs and a. make someone's of ours received the actor. whether citizens of i need someone is going to be the -- ir the victim don't let think any someone to fill in just for racial purposes. one of the things that i see so often very i will citizens of the day i die.
12:05 am
diversity does not mean black. lot and you room a will see the cast of the black girl. >> and -- we did it. diversity means more than one. let's make sure we are looking for what does this look like? where doctors lawyers teachers firefighters. book i think they put this gentleman's children there's life for just the money was. we get to every casting director. there's no casting director school. you are taking your environment. you taking where you were raised you are taking all those things and they play a role in how you see television characters.
12:06 am
i think one of the things i've been so proud of his after they read the book it was like oh. i see that anyone can play this role in the possibilities are empty. we want to see more of that. it doesn't have to be good. when we reach parity? it's been a long day and time. think it's ever steeper diversity sake. it's what the public wants. and if anyone doesn't believe that take the top 30 youtube stars. when all up and look at how diverse they are. >> i don't want to ever steeper diversity either. look at the numbers, diversity is a smart business imperative.
12:07 am
people are leaving so much money on the table it is predict us. not just let's throw in some color. role the worldy the best actor? we always do that one. we saw the first clients that we have to go with the best actor. >> only making sure that were really wide enough, did you look hard enough? do better and be smarter. >> let me ask you a follow-up westjet. like tyrants. you named the hollywood project. it helps humanize members of other kinds of roles that are out there area there are some who say that we should try to
12:08 am
get the shows off the air before they can even start. others say we should engage to make them better. perspective, when communities raise issues particularly on social media what'splant warms, effective and what's not? how does that work? >> being able to properly and effectively communicate. whenever there's been a particular storyline that i'm not all with i recap the impact. i'm going to reach out to that particular community where might feel there might be some activity and have a conversation. to writersback directors and producers. why is there concern? mentions unsettling actually talk to someone can get the
12:09 am
message clear. if the sensationalism? we perpetuating it area type? >> do you want to weigh in on this in terms of how social media campaign can impact portrayals or how community members can leverage or utilize those outlets to make their voices heard in an effective way? >> there are effective and ineffective ones. when you are trying to create a conversation where you are collectively trying to make something better, i think you can achieve something. often, there are campaigns that are just confrontational. i want complete victory in the way they see it and they want to shut down from the completely. if people are trying to do a show and it has some kind of intersection with an identity that you relate with -- if you shut it down, you reduce the
12:10 am
chances of something like that ever being done again because they will say it is not my time. but, you were with them, even if it is not perfect, and it looks like it works and gets out there, then you increase the appetite, people have to look at the long-term. not all social media campaigns -- i tend to favor the ones that are conversational, aspirational, funny and that touch people's hearts. i generally think that the ones ones are forarsh strong circumstances. you simply do want to get someone to shut up. >> thank you. is,next audience question how do we ensure accurate and honest reporting and journalism and the new era of news and media? how can the audience rely on what they see and hear? i think as consumers of news you have to judge your sources,
12:11 am
in part. i think that sometimes what happens is -- this is maybe more than used to happen -- you self identify with a community that you agree with. i think you can see this on facebook. i have people on facebook where they don't really think a lot like i do, and then i have the constant sort of decision to make about whether i still see their feeds or not, because sometimes you get really upset that someone has a different opinion from you and then part of me feels like, this is a window into a part of this country that maybe i don't always get exposed to. it could be good for me to hear that. -- i'd say you have to be a smart consumer and decide whether you think that the source is objective. where think that that is there are a lot of citizen
12:12 am
journalists, but journalism is a professional career. i have spent a long time learning how to report. how to find sources. how to decide whether someone is being truthful or is someone who should be listened to. whether something seems suspicious to me. how to find documents that support the story that i am hearing. somebody said to me, that something is true, i don't take their word for it. i check it with someone else. that is why i think there is a real value in the legacy news organization. where you have that kind of training. use your common sense. because you want to believe something, because it fits into your worldview does not make a trip. consider the source. be careful about what you share, because you may be sharing that information because it appeals to you. that happens on all ends of the political spectrum. it is hard. it's hard because they're used to be a few sources and now there are many. i think we have to be educated consumers of information. >> the same people who would
12:13 am
look at you and say i don't trust that journalists, but i heard a rumor -- they don't see the inconsistency of that. this is where we have a collective conversation about how to properly manage the responsibility that we all have that we can interact with the world now. that has consequences if you say something that is destabilizing. >> there is a tendency to not like the information and believe it is untrue. not liking information or if it makes her happy one comfortable is not the same as the information being false. i think that sometimes we all make that mistake. >> thank you. to piggyback off of the point you just made, and audience question says, one of the problems with social media is that people tend to connect mainly with other like-minded individuals or groups. with that in mind, is there hope for building bridges and expanding exposure to different ideas online? hadley barrett do that? these --k some of
12:14 am
black lives matter or other campaigns, i'm even thinking recently about the backlash to snl for having donald trump on. people are pointing out that he said a lot of different things that probably offend a lot of different communities, but in particular the fact that snl who is been around for 40 something years, has managed to have two or three latino cast members ever. nobody else is funny, i guess? is a consciousness raising of saying, you will have donald trump on, he said all of this stuff, demonstrably not true. this is an organization and a show that has been on for decades that is barely managed to diversify beyond black and white people. to me, that is a way to sort of cut across. even if you left donald trump, i think that backspace question about why snl has failed to find anyone other than white or african-american people to be on their show, is something that i
12:15 am
think you would often think, will that is actually a pretty good question. this a country where latinos make up a significant part of the population and are incredibly influential. so, how is that? >> will never get very far if we segment ourselves so much that we do not understand this problem. here we are, as muslims trying to tell people that they need to let us into their circles, but we will segment ourselves out. we have to make ourselves uncomfortable. i have plenty of conservative friends who are my friends on faith took and everything i post, my muslim friends see it and my conservative and liberal francia. i try to manage that conversation. just last week, i posted something that hinted at where i stand on gun control. people on my wall were having this very interesting conversation from all different sides. but, i was trained also elevated to another place. where can we find common ground?
12:16 am
this is where the beauty of social media comes out, when you have those diverse conversations. but if it's just as the chamber, that is when conspiracy theories happen. and destabilizing stuff happens. >> thank you. i study communications and journalism and learned a lot about agenda setting. it used to be that traditional media, legacy media, had the greatest role in agenda setting within society. it was more of the traditional norm. in this day and age, with #campaigns and social media, how much of that is changing who is setting the agenda in terms of what media covers? i think specifically about the power of #campaigns this year, like the i stand with ahmed campaign about the texas teenage clockmaker. would that have been on the national media radar? would it have made this kid famous and made the situation in the mess had it not been for social media?
12:17 am
to what degree do you each feel -- there is adia trickle up that may be happening from your viewers or your readers? is no question sometimes their campaigns are people reacting to an event. people who misspelled san bernardino for example. that, to me it is interesting because i used to try to read a lot of the ethnic media. like newspapers, watch bt news at night because it was really like seeing a different america. sort of segmented communities, what was being covered there was very different on a nightly basis than what you would see on the national news. i think, anyway, the value of social media for mainstream
12:18 am
journalists, a lot of that conversation, i think, is bubbling up in a way that is in front of you if you are following the right people, active people. twitter is overwhelming. i member the morning of the fee for a rest, i had one channel that was just fifa. that in the sense of exposing more people to different viewpoints, i think it is actually quite interesting and certainly has -- part of our -- we talkversation about some of the major news events overnight. then, at the end, one of the things they always ask to our reader and engagement and social media team is what have we not talk about that you are seeing in the conversation locally? there's always something. it is driven by social media.
12:19 am
it is driven by trends in social media. not everything we cover that. a lot of the times we do look into it. we find stories that were not have been seen otherwise. it can be quite influential. but, i think it is most influential when it is authentic. i think when it feels canned or it feels like a campaign -- i think with the my muslim id and felt very authentic that people were responding to what was said in a way that felt incredibly real. i think that that becomes newsworthy. -- people it terms of say they want to launch campaigns, but unless you're paying for promoted tweets, a campaign is not going to go anywhere unless people organically attach themselves to it. it is meritocracy us in that matter. going back to the original point, i think one of the biggest challenges of our time is trying to figure out how to manage the information overload that we all get. i would love to dive into every single one of these conversations and really try to
12:20 am
get where everyone is coming from, but we are talking about thousands of not millions of conversations and millions of points of view. i still the process that. that is why the reasons that we do retreat into ourselves. it is overwhelming. this is why there is a role for professionals. to help navigate that. because, i think that a lot of people are struggling with this. whyvery community, that is our society is getting so polarized, because i think we just cannot take the overload. >> i agree with all that. i want to get to my question. >> lifted excellent. there is a question here about what it means to be a reporter now in the sense that we have seen reporters get suspended or fired for sharing their personal opinions on world events or for sharing personal views on hot button issues. in this day and age, where is that line for reporters? whether it is specifically at
12:21 am
the l.a. times on a broader sphere and what response ability -- what responsibility do they have and what rights do they have? that's a really fascinating question because it is something -- homepagee, i run the of the website at the l.a. times. but i started off as a traditional print reporter. i have learned a lot about data reporting. so, i think reporters in general have to be much more jack of all trades than they were ever. i know quite a bit of html and things that used to be written down on. if you're are good at writing, it's a bonus. i have to be in greatly careful about what i say. i don't share generally personal opinions. i think that it is important not to because even if i have a personal opinion, is strong one,
12:22 am
i feel like i could still go and cover -- i cover the presidential campaign in 2000. this is why traveled with. i tried with george bush, al gore, i spent six months of my life with dick cheney. and i also spent right a bit of time in a van with ralph nader. i covered all of those people. i think fairly because whatever my personal feelings are about politics, i think that i could bring in objectivity to it. i think if i was out there saying, my personal feelings, then that takes away from my ability to be seen as someone who is fair. you get called out on it. i jumped about something was on facebook and three people were like, you're an editor at the l.a. times you should not be saying that. i said i'm sorry, also in my sense of humor now, too. to be fair, in my flash of anger, i thought, they have a point. everything is public. the idea that there is a private facebook channel or even if you only allowed authorized people
12:23 am
to follow your twitter, that woman got fired for the jokes about ebola or was it ebola? she was an idiot. really. i would say nothing on social media with the expectation that it would not eventually get out. the sony hack taught a lot of us that even what you say your e-mail is potentially public. i think it is challenging. we start conversations. people have to account what they said. you have to be a lot more careful. i think you should be and usually more thoughtful about how you process your personal feelings and how you portray what is happening in reality. >> thank you. >> one of the things with that, we are in section over sharing population in the sense that i'm going to share that i love this water and here's a picture of what i-8 and here are the shoes i just rot at the mall which are fabulous and i'm going to do this. i always say, when we always say
12:24 am
where we are, some of the go around your house. you are telling every step of your life. stop it. the over sharing is unbelievable. in that sense. i think that a lot of times -- i will always tell someone when they say that they are sorry for what they said, i say no you are sorry for what you got caught. if you are in doubt and think you should tweet it or write it, tell a friend. physically, not with a microphone on. >> exactly. there you go. last question for you. considering you are the founder of the labs, tell us about what they are all about and what you hope to do with it and the audience question is a bit for that, what type of muslim focus startup diesel the market is ready for? >> the whole idea came about 10-15 yearsd spent in what is called the digital islamic economy.
12:25 am
i saw vast markets, liberal market, 500 million muslims between the ages of 18-25 that are upwardly mobile, culturally more alike with each other than like their parents generation. they want -- they care about their identity and want to spend on it. very few people actually cater to that market. int i did was try to bring promising startups that i thought could fit a couple of models. one is buying muslims for everybody, meaning that you create and tap into islamic heritage and values and create products with universal appeal. that can transmit that to the masses. i'm a founding board member of -- if anyone has heard of it. 2% of their market is muslims and the vast majority is everyone else. part of that is how do you define -- in a way that is universally acceptable? we are trained to bring in companies that do that.
12:26 am
the other thing we're trying to do is create innovation by doing hackathons by bringing people together for a couple of days from different backgrounds to solve a specific challenge. doing it in the muslim communities with muslim identity and life. we have done these around the world and we will start to do them in america. we did when all the w -- abu dhabi. we are doing when it's look on valley. we look to future ones on cultivating muslim storytellers. we want to try to see the environment. what we found is that it is not about skill or talent, but confidence. it is about feeling that you can do it. that is the number one barrier for most people. we realize that once again people into the situation and we live stream their result and we find the winners of making a developed. they could do amazing things. we are hoping in the next couple of years to start spinning out companies and ideas and initiatives.
12:27 am
the first couple of apps come out early next year. that show that there is a lot of talent in this group of people. we have a lot to give the world. show that muslims are not just a source of problems, but of solutions. >> thank you. so, i want to ask a closing question for everyone. it has two prongs, the first is, considering new media now, what do you think we have to look forward to a few years from now? what is your prediction of what will continue to impact your industry or your arena in the years to come that people should keep an eye out for? secondly, we spend a lot of time talking about the points of darkness. i hope that we can and with the points of light. what is one point of light that forsee that gives you hope how this transition from legacy
12:28 am
media to new media can be a force for good? >> what is your prediction for the future and what is a bright spot that you want to give a little attention to? >> prediction for the future i think that there are so many innovative idea thinkers out there that we have not scratch the surface of what we are going to see socially. there are semi-people that are now in institutions that were -- coding is becoming available. we will see the next chapter the next twitter or facebook. there will be multiple generations of that. i think that that will -- it will only enhance television viewing for us because television is not going anywhere. as much as people say tv is dead, people are watching still. i think that that is definitely going to expand its. i think for the light, because i work in an industry where that
12:29 am
is all i see, one of the things that i see tremendously is that i want to continue to provide the access because before anyone can do anything, you need the access and >> sure and then gives them an opportunity. say yes to someone. when someone says yes to you, say yes to someone else. behink that that will really able to get to know each other more and that will be my light. i know that our communities are resilient. i think you're going to see -- you already are, rapidly -- whether it ise the l.a. times or the washington post or the new york times, the big names in american journalism make much more substantial pay payday to substantial digital news in a way that is sustainable. a lot of us are grappling with
12:30 am
these dual operations. you have what is in real time what is online which i think for a long time with you and as lesser, even though it is informing more people than really wetlands in your driveway in the morning. i think that we saw this last week, with december 19 oh, the quality of what we were producing in close to real time with equally better than what we were able to publish in this sort of limited number of pages. i think that that is significant for american journalism because i think that professional journalism does matter and is very important. i think having these organizations make that change isa way that is sustainable crucial, really, to continuing forward. id, i would just say that think the media is so exciting. like, used to be able to just put something on a piece of paper and print photographs or a
12:31 am
flat graphic. that was all that you could do. the reason why i moved into digital is because it was so exciting. you could create databases that lives on that you can explore things on your own and really understand a subject matter. i think different people learn different, so video is incredibly interesting and certainly has existed for a long time outside of print. we were just talking about the video on what a lot of our means. interestingly, we publish it a few minutes he for everything started happening in san bernardino. explain to people that this is not scary, what this means, how people interpret it, in a way that i think it has something like 3 million views on facebook now. that is like reaching an audience that in the printed l.a. times he never could have. even, coverage of the syrian refugee crisis, which goes beyond just the moment it would have appeared on the front page
12:32 am
of the paper and is still accessible to anyone looking for. i see a lot of excitement and a lot of opportunity to really reach more communities and tell stories in ways that are so much more -- i love writing and i love to write. that are more nuanced and go beyond just that medium. know this will be hard for a lot of people to believe, probably a lot of people will not believe this even the events but, given the success that we have had since 9/11, given the immense amount of talent, muslim talent in the pipeline in every possible field, the most important of the creative field, and given the resilience that america has shown in the face of what is happening, if you ignore the online height, if you look at the real world, i would like to think that we are at that kind of worst of it.
12:33 am
five years from now, we will actually be much more integrated, much more accepted, felt like neighbors and we were today. i truly believe that. it is because of the amounts of impact on the social sphere on lots of different spheres, by talented muslims expressing themselves. we have not even scratch the surface. thank you all. please give our panelists a round of applause. [applause]
12:34 am
>> on newsmakers, tennessee senator lamar alexander talks about recent passage of the every child receive at president obama signed into law earlier this. >> with congress on holiday, he said will feature a full lineup of primetime. monday our new series landmark cases. this week is wrote the way. -- roe versus wade. charleston area. thursday, christmas of the white house. day, orhristmas
12:35 am
president bill clinton receives the bottle rise. rise. dole the. when say authors talk about their books on the supreme court. tuesday night at 8:00, congressional history with her mitch mcconnell. p.m. world war ii and its impact. friday night at 8:00 we will travel to williams for. that's just the programs
12:36 am
featured in prime time on spam. now republican presidential candidate bush in new hampshire. during his opening statements and criticizes donald trump over his lack or apology. policy knowledge. new hampshire will hold the nation's first residential mary in february. just over an hour.
12:37 am
12:38 am
>> when you know you up at seven years of on-the-job training going on, the one thing we all want to happen is seven years of on-the-job training. we want a proven winner. want someone with eight years of tax cut. that is governor jeb bush and he will be the next resident of the united states. welcome jeff. >> thank you all for coming out it or 30 honest saturday afternoon. dayy was going to be the that i was going to break the record of the most town halls in a single day. unfortunately we ran into a tragic event.
12:39 am
a gentleman was killed in a training exercise in georgia. the same time we were going to do our event.
12:40 am
they want to know that a commander-in-chief as their back. when they're going into battle they had the best equipment possible to be able to do their job effectively. want to know the president of the united states will rebuild the military. will make the necessary investments in the 21st century military war fighting they don't -- they want to know the lawyers will be. >> this president has excellently put so many restrictions that a policy of live.nment is one that we isis is not contained. they are not being contained. the simpley were,
12:41 am
fact is that is not the appropriate policy. every day they exist is a victory for islamic terrorism. every day that they exist and they can recruit. we need a strategy to destroy at thed i laid out lamb reagan library to do just that. it takes arming the kurds directly, embedding our troops inside the military. engaging with the tribal leaders. creating a safe zone in syria so -- we million refugees
12:42 am
will not create a breeding ground. we will allow a safe harbor for them. mean the no-fly zone. innocentr home bombing people. exists -- ity that laid out the land. taking away the funding stream prices is a complex challenge but a detailed plan is necessary. the all caps isis is not our fight. that's not a threat to the net date tell that to san
12:43 am
bernardino. be mr. bush: donald trump says he gets his foreign-policy and will traded vice from the shows. really? the commander in chief, someone aspiring to be the president just turns on the television on sunday morning and think that is enough, to be able to lead this country? donald trump is all excited that vladimir putin thinks he is a good man and he rewards vladimir putin with praise as well? really? the man who believes the united states is in decline and takes every step forward while we step back is a hero of donald trump's? really? he is not a serious person. he is a chaotic candidate with creates fun entertainment for people, but he would be a chaotic president. we need someone who has a steady hand, who has plans to keep us safe. here is my commitment to you -- i will be a commander-in-chief, not a divider in chief or agitator in chief. i will lead this country to a more secure place where we can
12:44 am
get to the business of creating prosperity again for our great country. [applause] as it relates to the economy, there is much to be done. hillary clinton has given barack obama an "a." maybe she plays this on the curve. an "a" when you have one in 10 people unemployed or give up looking for work altogether? when workforce participation rates are lower than they were in the 1970's? it cannot be that when one in seven people are living in poverty. 6 million more than a day barack obama got elected. it is not an "a" when one in five children are on food stamps. the great identifier of prosperity -- median income -- is down $2300 than the day barack obama was elected. $2300 in washington may not be a lot when you have lifetime protection. you basically get wage increases for showing up. you have more benefits than the
12:45 am
private sector. that people may not be concerned in washington because they don't have declines. $2300 across-the-board means maybe a child will not be able to go to get quality day care. or maybe they cannot go to college. or maybe you cannot buy a car. or maybe you cannot save for a rainy day. or maybe you have a mom who has dementia and you are the caregiver and you cannot take days off to be able to provide support. maybe you cannot take a vacation. $2300 a year is a lot of money. the next president has to fix this mess and it starts with changing the culture in washington. we need a balanced budget amendment to force a conversation where it needs to
12:46 am
be. where government does not grow faster for the ability to pay for it. we need term limits. i have some friends in the crowd today -- it works. we have talented people who have a chance to take leadership roles, where the permanent political class have to take a step back. we need to make sure the lobbyists do not control everything. if you finished your term of service as an elected official, you should not start lobbying the people you were serving the day before. there should be a six-year ban on elected officials lobbying. we have to make sure there is total transparency to make sure people have confidence that their government is the servant rather than the master. i know how to do this because i was governor of the state of florida where i had a chance to take these ideas, work with the legislature -- the net result was we had a lot better government. we did reform lobbying. we do have term limits.
12:47 am
we balance budgets every year, totaling -- leaving reserves of $9 billion, more than 35% of general revenue. they called me veto corleone. not to be mean, not to say on the big dog on the stage. i did it because government should not grow faster than people's ability to pay for it. in florida, that was the result. [applause] look, there is a big difference in the philosophy of the left and ours. i believe everybody has a chance to make a contribution in our society. i believe life is a gift from god, that it is divinely inspired. i believe if we created a society where everybody's abilities can be reached to their full limits, their god-given abilities, then nothing will stop the united states. the left believes the opposite. they believe life is not fair. that because life is not there, i will take care of you with another spending program, another tax, another regulation. dividing our country up by halves and have-nots. for us to win, we have to have
12:48 am
an exact opposite view. last year, i met a floridian. she was -- she came to campaign a couple of months ago here in a town hall meeting. when she was young, she was held back two years in a row in third grade. i can imagine that she was quite angry. no one ever told her she was capable. she was going to be passed along basically to a dead-end. it happens a lot in america. thousands and thousands of kids do not get the power of knowledge and they are stuck and we wonder why the demand on government grows faster than our ability to pay for it. she found out, her godmother found out a corporate tax scholarship program.
12:49 am
it is the largest program in the country. we created the first, second and third programs in the country. we eliminated tenure for teachers. we reward teachers for performance. they get more pay when they do a good job based on student learning. the teachers union did not like this at all. they mortgaged their building when i ran for reelection to try to defeat me and to support my opponents. they lost and had to sell the building, which warms my heart to be honest, because taking on big political fight is what we aim to do. we cannot stand pat with the things that are broken. i know how to do this because i had a chance to do it. she was the beneficiary. her godmother found out about the program and she got to go to a christian school. i know what happened. i was not there, but i know what happened. in that first week, a teacher told her on around her and for the first time she was told she was capable.
12:50 am
that she had god-given talents. that god loved her and so did the teacher. together, they were going to make sure she could learn. she overcame the two years of being held back. she graduated with her age group. she was the first in her family to graduate from high school and college. this year, she will get a masters degree at the university of south florida. i believe that we will be successful politically and we will be successful as a nation if we are on the side of her. i don't know if she is a republican or democrat -- it is irrelevant. what is important is she has the same right as anybody else to live a life of purpose and meaning. that she will not have to get in line and be told somehow she is not capable of living a life of purpose and meaning, that she is a liability. that the government will manage her life. isn't it better to be on the side of people pursuing their own dreams as they see fit? making sure people have the capacity to achieve earned success? isn't that the better approach?

21 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on