Skip to main content

tv   Key Capitol Hill Hearings  CSPAN  January 29, 2016 2:00pm-4:01pm EST

2:00 pm
most of us are not: another clinton in the white house. what makes you best prepared to accomplish that? governor bush: very good question. to have someone who can actually serve, that is important. you want to have someone who can wion. i believe having someone who has been thoroughly vetted, 34 years of tax returns, because of my circumstance i can promise you everything i have done has been vetted. everything. i was governor of a big state, went back to the bush thing, a lot of ways that you try to hurt my dad would be to expose i might have done or something like that. i have been thoroughly vetted and i've been totally open. i gave out 330,000 e-mails as my time of governor related to my work. everyone -- every
2:01 pm
single one of them. you have to get a subpoena to get her e-mails. 34 years of tax returns, it is out there. whatever their point of find they're going to find. i have paid my taxes. we're never going to win us conservatives if we're the reactionary party. we win like reagan one. messagel, optimistic those firm and resolute and also encourages people to join our team. debate, it washe interesting. there was this beautiful girl on youtube, i do not know if you saw the debate that they showed on the screen, they showed these youtube entrepreneurs. they have millions of people following them, and she served in the military. designer, a fashion
2:02 pm
on youtube. an extraordinary business. she basically was saying can i join you? the same with the woman who was muslim. and i wanted? mi wanted on your team? the questions were answered by the people, and they did not enter the right way. i bought it in. of course we want you on our team. we want every person who is a big dream to be a conservative. we want all god's children to be on our team. we are not going to exclude anyone. that is how you win. ute will talk abou early childhood education. she will want to expand government run for your old programs, pre-k programs. i have done something different. in florida we have 80% of all
2:03 pm
four-year-olds in literacy-based , and we do have half a day instead of a full day. it is effective and it does not cost an arm and a leg to our learning gains are the highest for four-year-olds and fourth graders in the country. a state with 57% of our students qualifying for free and reduced lunch. at the poverty level. 57% of our students are minority students. about not be lectured to how we can create upward mobility for people who are stuck in poverty, and how the middle class cannot earn any money in it to be more dependent on government. i can take it to her because i have a proven record as governor of the state of florida to create a 4.4% income growth each and every year i was governor.
2:04 pm
ihers will talk about it, but have done it. and that is a far better way to take it to hillary clinton. [applause] think that the back and forth in this primary campaign all, i'vefirst of campaigns. a lot of this is being back so far. i do not find in the negative. you don't think the clinton machine, once they get going, i hope you want someone for early vetted and scrutinize, because we cannot afford to lose this election. they will be coming at whoever our nominee is with a vengeance. there is no hope and optimism in the clinton message, can promise you that. , when askedpulse , theyr enemies were were republicans.
2:05 pm
this is not going to be mourning need to be we ready to fight back with someone who has been tested. it will get ugly quick. yes, sir? >> [indiscernible] if you're talking about refugees, i do not think we should allow refugees and until the fbi director can make assertion that they are not professing jihad against western civilization. that, the main way to deal with this threat is to take out isis in the caliphate.
2:06 pm
we cannot play defense. we cannot close down our country. beimately for us to successful need to destroy isis in the caliphate the size of indiana with 40,000 battle tested terrorist. third system is a victory for them because it allows them to recruit. in the last year there have been in 17 countries 70 c attacks that were either isis inspired or rises control. and that will grow. that will grow in asia, and africa, the middle east, and here, as we saw in san bernardino. the best way to solve the refugee problem is to embed our troop with the iraqi military. to arm the kurdish peshmerga that or, more sophisticated equipment. to reestablish the partnership with the sunni tribal leaders that ultimately going to create the stability want isis is gone, that helped us with the surge. to get the lawyers off the war
2:07 pm
fighter's backs. the deals with the no-fly zone in syria, and safe zones in syria so the refugees can stay there and we can build this army financed by the arab world and financed in partnership with them, that is how you deal with this problem and be serious about it. yes, sir? >> [indiscernible] governor bush: no, i don't. as part of that strategy i just described, the kurds are muslim. so we're going to tell the muslims were the strongest allies, strongest admirers of the united states, we want you to fight this fight, and we will give you arms, but you cannot come to our country to talk about it. or the indonesian, the largest muslim population is not in the middle east. if you give the signal that she will ban all muslims, you're giving the signal that the united date is retreating in the world. it is not muslims that are the
2:08 pm
problem, it is radical islamic jihadists that are the problem. we have to distinguish between the two or we're going to create more jihadists. we going to muslims away when we need them to be a part of this. the united states cannot deal with this in isolation of the world. we have to it, but have muslims fighting this fight in syria and in iraq. we cannot do this in isolation of them. i think it would be bad for national security interest to do that. that means that we need to defend the homeland better and all of the things that i do think are important. but we have to engage in the world. we cannot pull back and think that is going to work. yes? >> [indiscernible] governor bush: the gridlock in washington is interesting.
2:09 pm
we are 240 years old is a country. we have had gridlock in the past. els, so --d dual [laughter] it used to be taken more seriously. president whose first impulse is to push down anybody who disagrees with him to make them look bad. to create a straw man, to demonize them because his sophisticated view has not been adhered to. somehow, if you don't agree with them, you are a bad person. your motivations are wrong. i was there with the premise that people disagree with me might just be wrong, not that they have been motives. they're are not bad people. they might be liberal, or they might have a few about america's world that is different from mine. if you start with the premise that people are not bad people because they disagree with you, they can rebuild the trust. the next president is to start
2:10 pm
doing this. the lady of pushing someone don't make yourself look better, i don't know. barbara bush, when she saw a kid in our family will act like a communal what happened? -- act like that, you know what happened? [laughter] trust, and when you agree you go to yes. right now, even when they agree on subjects, mental health is a big problem in our country, and they are underfunding mental health. we need to deal with the problems of gun violence. it is not the law abiding citizens, it is not the gun owners, it is the mental health challenge. , peopleing those people on the right and left agree. but the president's principle is create a degree
2:11 pm
of civility that allows you to move forward. it is not a violation of principle to allow you to do that. came over the idea that it is a sign of strength to get nothing done? think about this. we are in this alice in wonderland logic that is totally bizarre. we have a tax code where businesses are being bought by foreign companies, relocating the smaller businesses, outside the country. we are losing the taxes, and we're losing the jobs. everybody says it is a problem, but no one has a solution. of course we have a solution, fix it. moved to a territorial tax code like everybody else has. allowed for one-time moneys to come back over. turn this on its back, and turn in versions into reemergence back into our own country. there are solutions to every one of these problems, but you have to start with the premise you're not the big dog on the stage. you have to have a servants
2:12 pm
heart to forge consensus. governors know how to do this, because we have to. yes, sir? >> would you be willing to make a commitment to what you just said? o whoever your future opponent might be, that you will say in the people with the best of intentions, and not just the punchline of a joke? governor bush: yes. it is tougher with hillary clinton because of the trust issue. but i will do it right now. i give her the respect of being , knowledgeable, policy oriented. she has a set of detailed plans that are very different than mine. but she is sincere in that regard. she believes what she believes. i cannot give her credit for honesty and trustworthiness, -- whenwhen you go to you tell family members who lost
2:13 pm
aeir loved ones that it was videographer that was the motivation for the attack in benghazi, which she said, and you are under oath, and you say -- the only reason we know this is because her e-mails were subpoenaed by the fbi, not voluntarily given. it turns out she had e-mailed her daughter, on her private server about classified information, and to the prime minister of egypt that this was motivated by jihad -- under on she says that, and to the family she said something different. that is not trustworthy. admire that. but i can admire her intelligence, her focus, her command of policies. i can certainly do that. i hope you give me a little break here, as it relates to talked worthiness and honesty, she has a long way to go. she is having a hard time in democratic primary, and she is having a hard time with the
2:14 pm
american people restoring some degree of trust because of her history. yes? >> you talked about the ma massive modernization of the military. how will that be funded? and the care of veterans? governor bush: great question. at me pull of my prop for second. i do not know how many we have here. this is a blueprint for all the ideas we have laid out. you can go to my website, and drill down. part of this is everything we have done, whether it is reserving at social security, and creating a new system that will be viable for the next generation, or the reforms of medicaid and medicare. everything, including defense, we have priced at out. i've tried to be intellectually honest. what i have proposed would be a $25 billion, $230 billion
2:15 pm
or $30e in spending -- billion increase in spending per year. it is a sizable increase. but if you're going to rebuild the navy, modernize the air force, and have a readiness a factor that we will have, it will cost more money. that is the amount of money that would be spent. where else should be be spending money, we should be spending it basic research, whether it is the nih, but the next generation of energy, or the space program, that these long-term projects for america or what we should be spending more money on. we should be spending less money by reforming medicaid. this year will grow by 18%. it is a massive increase because it has never been reformed. if you give that back to the the 10 yeard on projection of spending committee billionve $130
2:16 pm
dollars. medicare would be something similar. entitlements is where you are going to see savings. not because we're taking isefits away, when it modernizing. we're bringing it into the 21st century as we are allowing for the savings to accrue because they're projected rates of growth or 8% per year. that's compounding takes out all the other spending that is necessary, and the long-term the surveying hurt because of it. by challenging the career civil servant of the system that creates lifetime employment for federal workers that no private sector workers get, they get 40% more pay for lifetime work in the private sector. if you reform that and you have attrition allowance, you can save a tremendous amount of money. one more than we have to go. thehat can you do about
2:17 pm
social security cuts coming in 2017? governor bush: because will be about 10 years, when we completely run out of money and it goes bankrupt and it is a 30% reduction. the cats are the cpi freezing that you are talking about the cpi freezing the benefit as the cut? that is 10 years out. i may be wrong, but i think that is 10 years out. for everybody who is on social security, there would be no cuts. it exists as is. starting in 2022, you would --se the retirement here eight by one month per year. beearly retirement age would 65. benefits frontload the
2:18 pm
, to retire early rather than retire late. our proposal does the opposite. you are not cutting benefits but you are blending them differently. provided a minimum benefit of 120% of the poverty level. social security was designed to be a supplemental insurance, savings plan. it is now the principal source of savings for most seniors. -- that isoor tha higher than what exists now would be of benefit. you'd all those things together, and you make insolvent. it is reality-based it is an works.h that both
2:19 pm
this goes into social security. why would someone who is 68 years old, who is retired already, they should not have to continue to pay into the system. they should be of the keep that money is part of their savings and their retirement. that is the plan we have laid out. that was saves security for another 50 years. we better get on with it. the left always has the city of don't worry, it will work. denial is a river in africa. there is no problem here. these will not magically be fixed. it will not exist for anybody under the age of 50. that is what is going to happen if we don't move forward, because when it darted we had people working for one retiree. then it went down to 10, then went on to five, now it is close to three.
2:20 pm
if nothing changes it can literally get to 221 50 or 60 years from now. one 50 or 60 years from now. those are solutions to the problems we face, but it requires a leader that recognizes this, that is reality-based, that is embedded in conservative principles. shows dogged determination. --t is why a running i am running for president and why i hope you'll caucus for me on monday night. [applause] thank you very much. ♪
2:21 pm
2:22 pm
2:23 pm
2:24 pm
2:25 pm
2:26 pm
2:27 pm
2:28 pm
2:29 pm
2:30 pm
[indistinct conversations]
2:31 pm
>> a picture? mr. bush: yeah.
2:32 pm
how you doing? thank you. [indistinct conversations]
2:33 pm
2:34 pm
2:35 pm
2:36 pm
2:37 pm
the largest number of juveniles being executed in the world are in iran and he has the honor of going to the vatican and they put boxes over statues, i do not get it. they are beautiful. it is part of our western civilization. it is not disrespectful for us to embrace our heritage. saw somebody walking through my house [indiscernible] admire pope francis. he has a very fresh approach,
2:38 pm
challenges our faith. for me that i was -- that is always a good thing. like it, did he? he is a good guy. doing? you is government class. what is the name of your teacher? [indiscernible] thank you.
2:39 pm
should be think -- we organizing. thanks for your help.
2:40 pm
good to be here. [indistinct conversations]
2:41 pm
2:42 pm
2:43 pm
2:44 pm
>> the guy who had the bank there had four branches and told me, i will try to remember the exact number. not a single bad loan. they did not sell off any of their loans. they knew all their customers. their compliance costs went from $100,000 to $600,000. >> we are a similar story.
2:45 pm
we have to work endlessly to keep compliant. mr. bush: i used to be in the bakery -- banking business when i was younger. is $12 million. $500,000 extra cost for no return. you are effectively cutting your capital that you could use to lend out by 30, 40, 50%. x you cannot get current income. mr. bush: what is your strategy? >> i guess we got to be compliant.
2:46 pm
mr. bush: this is something that i think there is strong support for with the new president. to modify all this. you guys want regulation. -- want a clear, concise >> the community banks to not cause the problem. you converted to charter? [indiscernible]
2:47 pm
2:48 pm
2:49 pm
2:50 pm
2:51 pm
2:52 pm
2:53 pm
[indistinct conversations]
2:54 pm
>> the new york times put together a chart showing how the republican presidential candidates are doing in the polls. three days ahead of the iowa caucuses. donald trump leading with 31%. texas senator ted cruz has lost a few points to marco rubio who is in yellow. ben carson is 8%. we will be hearing from him on c-span 2. 4% from thoseas
2:55 pm
who say they are potential republican voters. ben carson sure -- traveling the state with chuck grassley. tonight we will show the coverage from today including chris christie, jeb bush, and ben carson. >> simulcasting with c-span. >> here in iowa. >> got lost the great state of ila. >> the republican party of iowa. >> in iowa. >> here in iowa. am so pleased to do this with wonderful friends in iowa today. >> we would have given anything for that. >> it is good to be back in iowa. >> we did not know much about the iowa caucus.
2:56 pm
>> this is the third one i have been to. they are all different. >> it is good to be back in iowa. the >> thank you for the great sendoff you are giving to us. >> you have to show respect for islands, they are discerning voters. >> and want to thank all the people of iowa. >> iowa is diverse. >> if i lose iowa i will never speak to you again. >> donald trump holding a campaign rally and fundraising skippingans last night
2:57 pm
the republican candidates' debate. mike huckabee and rick santorum joined him on stage. they have anticipated in the earlier debate on fox. this is about one hour. >> the next president of the united states, mr. donald trump. >> ♪ mr. trump: thank you. vets.e our thank you, everybody. sit down, please. we had 24 hours to put this together. areas very quick and we
2:58 pm
here for some special people and we're going to hear from some of them. this is an honor. this is a really honor. awayted to be five minutes and i have enjoyed that. have doneline polls very well with that with the debates and i had a kick with it. you have to stick up for your rights. when you are treated badly you have to stick up for your rights. you have to do it. not,hether we like it or whether it is something we want to do or not and that is what our country has to do. as an example, iran. the way they have been treating us with all this horrible, it is one of the worst deals i have ever seen negotiated under any circumstances and we just take it. we have to stick up for ourselves as people and we have to stick up for country when we are being mistreated. remember that. [applause]
2:59 pm
i have to go a step further and say fox has been extremely nice and -- in the last number of hours, actually. [laughter] they wanted me there and they said, how about now, can you come over and i said hasn't already started? we thought what we would do is let them start and we want to be about 15 minutes into that our so that by now they are tuned in. this is like the academy awards. this is the academy awards. we are told we have more cameras than they do by quite a bit. and you know what? that is really an honor of our -- in honor of of our vets. they wanted me to go and apologize and every thing else and they did apologize in the could not have been -- once the started there was nothing i could do. i do not know. bad thing,d thing, a
3:00 pm
well get more votes, will i get less? nobody knows. it is for our vets and you're going to like it because we raised over $5 million in one day. over $5 million. that is not so bad. my whole theme is make america great again and that is what we are going to do. we would not have been here if it were not for our veterans and they are being mistreated. eagle -- illegal immigrants are treated better in many cases in our vets and it is not going to happen anymore. so once this ball started rolling we could not stop it and you see the houses packed. this took place less than 24 hours. we had less than 24 hours. i am not going to do that debate out of respect for myself. it would just be wrong. we have to do something. i did not know that we would
3:01 pm
raise 5 million dollars, week raised close to six. i have to say a lot more to come. we set up a site, www.donaldtrumpforvets.com. some incredible people. i do want to call out some of the folks that give a lot of the money and then we will have someone come up to speak who is an incredible speaker but much more importantly, it is the subject. someone that really understands what the vets are going through. but first we have to talk about people that made a lot of money and they would not have made a lot of money, they would not even be here if it were not for the vets and our great military because the military has a lot more guts than you do, is that right question mark we have different kind of guts, right? icahn gave $500,000.
3:02 pm
one quick phone call. donald trump, a politician. i'll talk no action, i refuse to politician. donald trump gave $1 million, ok? the fisher family of new york gave $75,000. a great fan and friend of our family, $100,000. a very rich man in new york, very good friend of mine, a very good person and he wants to be anonymous. the first time in his life. all his life he was out there.
3:03 pm
i said to me a fairer, can you give me a million bucks? he said at least tell me. it is for the vets, he said you got it. be anonymous. he has changed. you know who i am talking about two years ago. [chanting] >> trump! trump! trump! mr. trump: it is too crazy. i love protests at my rallies. we have thousands of people outside trying to get in. we set up cameras, screens, everything.
3:04 pm
i will tell you -- i love the protesters in the big arenas because the cameras never move. they are always on my face. i say to my wife -- honey, stand up. she has to suffer through this. [applause] mr. trump: no, i go home -- and it is always on. it is not like the other politicians -- nobody covering them. i said, how did i do? she said, you were great. how many people were there? 21,000. in alabama, we had 35,000 people. by the way, we get bigger crowds by far. much bigger than bernie. though he is second. we get the biggest crowds. she said, they never show the crowd. i realized, they never turned the camera. i said, i figured maybe they are
3:05 pm
fixed. they cannot turn around. the only way you find out they are not fixed, they are like pretzels, is when you have a protester. you can have a protester up at the top, and they turn. but they do not want to show a crowd. we have a rich guy from new york who has become a little reclusive. $1 million. great guy. we have another unbelievable guy, one of the great men of our country in terms of business and talent. ike and laurie perlmutter, $1 million. [applause] mr. trump: jj cafaro from florida, and a fantastic man from cleveland.
3:06 pm
$55,000. another friend of mine, one of the most brilliant men you will ever meet, phenomenal poker player. he does not do it for a living. you cannot make a deal with this guy and come out on top. in fact, i am thinking about him for china. how about him negotiating with china? [applause] mr. trump: you know, china this year in trade, will make over $500 billion in terms of our trade deficit. $500 billion. that is no partnership. and i am a free trader, but we have to use our heads. we use political hacks to negotiate with the chinese. i deal with them all the time. they buy my apartments for millions. i love them. i am not blaming the chinese.
3:07 pm
i am not angry at them. i am angry at our politicians because we have people that are incompetent running our country. why should we be losing, in trade deficits, $500 billion a year? if i took a guy like this and put him in charge, mr. and mrs. phil ruffin, come on up. [applause] mr. trump: come up. [applause] mr. trump: he has never had anything -- it is like everything he touches turns to gold. you put a piece of land in las vegas. $110 million. he sold it a few years later for $1.43 billion.
3:08 pm
when he gives a million, it is like ten cents, but still very important. say a couple of words. [applause] >> thank you. i would like to introduce my wife, alexandra. [applause] donald and i have been friends for some 18 years and business partners. a few years ago, i said if you run for president, i will give you $1 million. well, he ran, i gave him $1 million. he sent it back. he said, i cannot take your money. in any case, he is a great man. and i am very happy. my wife and i will donate $1 million to your charity. [applause]
3:09 pm
mr. trump: he actually sent me a million dollars and said, there is 10 or 20 more if you need it. i sent it back. i am self-funding my own campaign, right? but all my life, i made money. i have always been good at making money. all my life, i did well. my father always said, everything he touches turns to gold. that is why i used the same expression. but he always said, everything he touches turns to gold. i turned all this money down. they are calling and calling. being number one, they want to control you. they want to give you money. remember i give you $5 million? remember we talked about the nabisco plant? all my life, i am turning down millions.
3:10 pm
i was in iowa at a different location. we had 4000 people. i said, listen. i do not feel good about turning down money. my whole life, i have been greedy, greedy, greedy. but now i want to be greedy for the united states. [applause] mr. trump: i will grab all that money. i will be greedy for the united states. but i always feel guilty. the crowd is lovely. we have the most incredible people in the country in iowa. the cover of time magazine this week is a cover story. there it is. hold that up. they have the back of my head with a massive crowd in front of me. they are covering the story. i did not even know they were doing the story. they are talking about the movement. it is actually a movement. what is happening is, i said to the crowd, let me ask you this one thing.
3:11 pm
could i take all this money? i am turning away so much money. could i take all this money? everyone went crazy, no, no, no. there was one guy in the back of the room -- a crooked-looking guy -- and he said, it is ok to take it. i do not know what to do with that guy. i feel a little bit foolish not taking the money. but you look at a guy like jeb bush. low-energy. extremely low. he is debating right now. maybe he is doing great. probably looking for me. has anyone seen trump? where is he? [applause] mr. trump: $120 million.
3:12 pm
people i know like him, killers. they put up $8 million. they are lobbyists, special interests. they are not doing that for their health. i know most of the lobbyists. i was on the other side seven months ago. i was a big giver. i know these people. i said, believe me. when they put in $6 million, $1 million, $5 million, they want something for it. when you see these horrible deals being made, the politicians are that stupid. you say, how is it possible that iran just got $150 billion from this country? one of the dumbest deals ever. their first purchase is 114 airbus jets. not boeing. then we have france. they go to russia and they buy
3:13 pm
missiles. people say the clock does not start ticking. we did not get our hostages back. they have $150 billion. sets a bad tone for kidnapping. who would believe what is going on? when you see that airbus gets our jets and russia gets the missiles -- which they are not supposed to be ordering -- and other things from russia, everyone is getting the money but us. when you say, "that is such a stupid deal. how can anybody be so stupid?" the reason is politicians are being taken care of by special interests that have interest with airbus, with russia and
3:14 pm
missiles, with all of these people that are taking that $150 billion. by the way, we have mike huckabee sitting here. get up. [applause] mr. trump: great guy. santorum. where is rick? [applause] mr. trump: fellas, come up here for a second. just so you understand, these two are not in that category. they would never do a thing like that. [applause] mr. trump: stand up here.
3:15 pm
mrs. huckabee. and rick's daughter. stand up. [chanting "u.s.a."] mr. trump: they would never have done a thing like that. when you see a deal that is bad, they are not bad for politicians. they are bad for the country. that is why i do not take anything. we will do what is right for the country. thank you. i want to ask rick and mike to say a few words. i heard they did very well, these two. how did they do? if you did poorly, you would not be here. you would go back and be depressed. say a few words. [applause] mr. santorum: thank you. i will stand over here so i am not photographed with the trump sign.
3:16 pm
i am supporting another candidate for president. [laughter] mr. santorum: that does not mean we cannot work together when it comes to helping our veterans. that is why mike and i are here tonight. i grew up on a v.a. grounds. my mom and dad worked for the veterans administration for 40 years. i heard my parents talk about how the system has been degraded over time. it used to be the best health care system in the world. we have an obligation to do something to make sure our veterans have the best possible health care in the world. [applause] mr. santorum: and we can give them that by allowing any
3:17 pm
veteran to go to any hospital in their community and get the care they need when they need it. [applause] mr. santorum: we also have to say to our veterans administration, let the private sector take care of this stuff. a lot of the money raised tonight goes to that. 22 vets a day commit suicide. 22 vets a day commit suicide. let's take all that money and put it into making the veterans administration a center of experts to deal with ptsd and deal with our vets and their mental health problems. [applause] i appreciate all those folks who raised money. let's put some of that money towards helping our men and women who are suffering the most. god bless you and thank you for being here tonight. [applause]
3:18 pm
mr. huckabee: i figure you are going to get the photograph anyway. i might as well stand here and be done with it. let's be clear -- rick santorum, donald trump and i may be competitors in a presidential race, but tonight, we are colleagues supporting the people who let us breathe the free air we breathe, the veterans of the united states of america. [applause] [chanting "u.s.a."] mr. huckabee: in my mind, i was hearing you say "go, huck, go."
3:19 pm
the easy thing for donald trump to do is ignore anyone who cares about veterans. he is not that kind of guy. i want to say thank you for asking rick santorum and me to come. for reasons i do not understand, the others are not here. some of them have a slot at 8:00. i have nothing to do at 8:00. but it says something about him that he would bring us here to his own event because bigger than the election is the fact that we would not have free elections in this country if not for the people that stood between bullets and bombs and our freedoms. thank you. [applause]
3:20 pm
mr. huckabee: i am done and i will turn it back to donald trump. in september 2005, a good friend of mine who teaches at the joe t. robertson high school in little rock, arkansas did something pretty extraordinary on the first at school. she had all the desks in her classroom removed. every desk taken out. the kids came in for first period and said ms. cochran, where is our desk? she said, you do not get one until you tell me how you earn it. they said, i guess we get good grades. she said, that will not earn you a desk. another said, we will behave. she said, you will behave. but that is not how you earn it. second period, same thing. third, fourth period.
3:21 pm
by now, kids are calling their parents and saying she has lost her mind. news organizations from little rock started coming up to joe t. robertson high school to figure out what happened to this teacher who snapped because she is taking all the desks out of her classroom. last period of the day, kids asked the same question. where are the desks? she said, you have to tell me how you earn it. none of them did. she said, i guess i am going to have to explain it to you. she walked over to the door of her classroom. she opened the door. 27 u.s. veterans wearing their uniforms from various wars walked in carrying a desk. they brought those desks in and lined them up in rows. as they did, martha cochran said, kids, you do not have to
3:22 pm
earn your desk because these guys already did. that is why you have a school desk. that is why you have an education. and that is why you have the united states of america. god bless you and thank you. [applause] [chanting "u.s.a."] mr. trump: two amazing people. i have gotten to know them very well, being on the trail, as they say. very happy with what is going on on the trail. i have had an amazing period of time. i usually like to get up and do polls. mike said, why do you keep doing those polls? i said, because they are so
3:23 pm
good. we have had amazing polls in iowa. we are leading by substantial margins in iowa and every single state. we are leading every national poll. [applause] mr. trump: people are tired and they are sick of what is going on in our country, how our military is being decimated. as an example tonight, you see the kind of amazing love. veterans are the most amazing people. we will take care of our veterans. i'm going to introduce somebody who will speak for a little while. he will introduce a couple of his friends. john wayne walding has become a famous person. he should be more famous than me because he is more courageous than i am.
3:24 pm
i am financially courageous, but the other stuff, i am not so good. he spent 12 years in the united states army in the third special forces. grew up at fort bragg, north carolina. he has combat deployments to iraq and afghanistan. during his career with the third special forces group, the elite, best, he worked as a special forces operator with the sniper detachment and is a sniper instructor. he is a world-class marksman. his military credits include special forces, advanced urban combat, not easy.
3:25 pm
advanced sniper, special forces qualifications courses and airborne assault. john's awards and badges include the silver star, bronze star, purple heart, combat infantry badge, air force air assault. john participated in numerous battles during his deployment. most famous of all was the battle of shok valley, which was a really tough one. the victory was brilliant, but tremendous carnage. which you can read about in the new book "no way out: a story of valor in the mountains of afghanistan." john lost a leg. he is an amazing guy. i heard him speak once before and was so impressed, i asked him to come over and say a few words. john wayne. come on. [applause]
3:26 pm
>> thank you very much. i tell you what, i feel taller than burt reynolds getting introduced by donald trump. i'm going to keep talking. a moving target is harder to hit. in the military, we call this everybody going to sleep. want to thank you for coming out. i am not here for politics. i'm here for people. i do not care if you are republican or democrat. i care about america. i have known donald trump junior for a while. he has never asked me for one thing politically. but he has seen me in his hotel when i was in las vegas.
3:27 pm
i was in the restaurant. me and mr. trump -- he was eating with willie robertson. really cool guy. mr. trump left. he squatted next to my table and talked to me for almost an hour. just genuinely wanted to say hi and let me know he cared about my service. so i am here for people as great as he is. i hate that many people get a bad rap. a story i know that no one knows is that donald and his wife, a long time ago, they broke down. nobody would help them. a couple stopped and helped them with their vehicle. guess what they did? they paid their mortgage. do you ever hear about that? no. because they are people. genuine people.
3:28 pm
that is the movement everyone in america is getting onto. he is unapologetically american. that is what we are -- american. absolutely. america is the greatest thing that happened to this planet in its existence. why should i ever say i am sorry for that? mr. trump says things that may not make you feel good, but it is the better thing for this great country. that is what i care about -- the better thing for this country. now, why am i here? they told me at first i only have a little time. if you know me, getting me to talk for a little bit is as easy as finding hillary clinton's e-mails. [applause] >> so i was very pleased to hear him say i could speak to you. for that, mr. trump, thank you very much. my name is john wayne walding.
3:29 pm
i am a green beret born on the fourth of july, and i am from texas. so you are welcome, america. [applause] >> you cannot write this. that is my true name, john wayne. really was born on the fourth of july. i asked my dad when i was 16, i asked my dad when i was 16, why did you name me that? thinking i was probably going to get this great story about how he is a great american. he said it just like this -- you needed a cool name. he was kind of a hippie, but i'm glad he stuck with it. i did 12 years in the military, the majority of that in special forces as a green beret. people did not know that the true term for green beret is special forces. that is the navy seals and rangers and everybody else. special forces are the u.s. army
3:30 pm
green berets. one thing i did not know as a green beret while i was in, under the head of special operations, 6% of all the missions done are done by green berets. why does nobody know that? we do not write books or make movies. we do the job. a good friend of mine was chris kyle. it was always real fun when we were at a training event. you got the navy seals sniper and it is like, you suck. no, you suck. but we die the most, we get hurt the most. that is one of the things americans don't realize. we do our job. our motto is "quiet professionalism." there is a true difference between "quiet" and "silent." the job of a green beret is we
3:31 pm
teach them to die for their country rather than us doing it. [applause] >> instead of sending 100 americans into a village to kill a bad guy, why don't we send 15 green berets in and let them do it? jfk in the 1960's actually let us have it. that is our job, and we are good at it. within 30 days of the towers falling, there were green berets in afghanistan. when will you not going to leave. that is my propaganda. i'm a little biased. but ok. i lost my leg in afghanistan in 2008 in a firefight in the battle of shok valley. we were not supposed to win. if you believe in god, that is why i believe in god. there is no reason we should be alive.
3:32 pm
15 americans went up with afghani commandos against 200 insurgents when they had the elevated position in the mountains. after 6.5 hours, 70 danger-close airstrikes, 10 silver stars, we won. how awesome is that? [applause] zero american lives killed. how can you be a taliban commander when 15 americans can go kill you? i would not do it. but that is when i lost my leg. i got shot halfway through the battle. had to put a tourniquet on my leg with the help of a green beret. during the battle, it was folded halfway over and hanging by an inch of flesh. the alternative was to go into my groin -- i said "crotch" on international television, and i say "groin" now. that is not the end of the
3:33 pm
story. i tell everybody, you should see the other guy. that is not the end. that is the beginning. that is the beginning of me learning the word "can't." i cannot walk. i cannot walk without the help of a prosthetic leg. let me tell you something -- that is a gut wrenching punch i hope none of you have to feel. not only as a father, but a husband and a provider for the family, when you lose that leg, that is an instant insecurity about, am i good enough?
3:34 pm
am i ok to make sure my family has food? can i still provide? three things is what made me get better. first and foremost is god. without him, we would be nothing, amen? the second thing is my wife and family. if you are watching at home, i love you, sugar. that is absolutely. my wife and family making sure i have something to look forward to at the end of the day. the third thing that made me want to fight hard is you, great americans that get it. [applause] >> that absolutely get it. it is the americans that say those two words -- "thank you." never underestimate the
3:35 pm
magnitude of what the two words "thank you" mean to veterans. if you do not believe me, ask someone in vietnam what it is like to come back and get spit on and called a baby killer. if i lost my leg for my country and got spit on, i would be homeless, single, and have an addiction problem. those two words, that mental validation, it says it is worth it. right? everything we do, it says it is worth it. [applause] >> i like to joke and have fun. i always say that i make one-legged look good. i do not have a face for radio. but i would be lying to you if i told you it did not suck being one-legged. it sucks not being able to walk to the bathroom in the middle of
3:36 pm
the night. it sucks when your kids want to play soccer and you cannot do it because you have been working all day at your real job, trying to make some money. but it is worth it. why? because thank you. great americans that say thank you and send that little validation. that makes me not want to be a husband, but a loving husband. not just a father, but a loving and compassionate father. somebody who wants to be with them. not just a citizen, but a successful, productive citizen in society, somebody that wants to be with other americans and does not just want to be in the prison they call home because nobody validated their sacrifice. never underestimate the magnitude of what thank you means to veterans. [applause] >> so when i hear those two words, and someone says thank
3:37 pm
you, i say you are worth it. you are worth fighting for. this is the best country to live. god bless you. [applause] >> this is awesome. all right. so when you say thank you, i say you are worth it, and i mean it. let me tell you something else, though. we let 22 vets a day commit suicide. when you get back, they give you a shopping cart full of drugs and say, take these. a year later, i am healed. my leg ain't growing back, i tried.
3:38 pm
my incisions and everything, it is healed. but guess what? i still hurt every single day. fortunately, i have god, my family, and my country behind me. not everyone has that. you lose that compass. when you get out, people do not care. everybody loves you and pats you on the back, but who's going to pay the bills? i challenge you to find a veteran that has a better work ethic and better dedication than a veteran. but the insecurity builds in and becomes sadness. i call it the boo-boo lip. next comes depression. i cannot pay the bills. four walls become a prison.
3:39 pm
i want to punch that in the mouth. i want to punch suicide in the mouth. [applause] >> i want to speak specifically to veterans right now. if you are having a problem and life sucks because you are one-legged or no-legged, or just a civilian, because it is we're going back to civilian life, when you see that compass spinning and you do not know what to do, you need to tell yourself you owe it to the fallen to live well. [applause] >> i have over 30 names embroidered in my center console. i knew every single one of those names, and they are dead now. i have to stomach that. green berets, they teach you how to deal with death, but not deal with it.
3:40 pm
that is something we do not have, a coping mechanism. the 35th time you get that call saying, aaron belagio. he's no longer with us. or if you are stateside and you see the casket being lowered with the american flag, and his wife is there with a three-month-old baby he has not met. do you say i am sorry? what do you say to that? it is impossible to make a statement to say, sorry for your loss. here is how you do that -- you live well for the fallen. if your life sucks, they win. right? if your life sucks, they win. that is something you cannot let happen. [applause]
3:41 pm
when you get that feeling of hopelessness or said this, remember ul it to them to live well. the best middle finger you can .ive to the taliban a [applause] to remind myself every single day, i wear this ring right here as a single of the 22 the committee suicide every day and at what to bring out some great friends of mine. [applause] jake is the executive director of the 22 kill project.
3:42 pm
air, tohat he breathes punch 22 vets committing suicide in the mouth. we are going to present one with mr. trump tonight. [applause] jake: so much america, john wayne. so much america. i love it. i can't say that i am sorry, brother. so we are wearing of these rings to bring awareness to the fact that 22 veterans commit suicide every day. on average it is 22 a day. all three of us were war fighters and all three of us are brothers. this is unacceptable. so at 22killed.com we let the warriors know and their families know that they are worth it and to keep fighting the good fight. people wonder why we are the
3:43 pm
best military in the world. i will tell you why. because it is one team, one fight. we are all in it together. [applause] jake: that is how we're going to end the statistic. we wear these on a rings on our trigger fingers for a reason. that is why we wear these rings. this is not a fashion thing. this is a life thing. because this life is absolutely worth living. [applause] jake: so we are so proud to be here and honored to be here and two of my brothers know mr. trump more than i do. and i will tell you right now,
3:44 pm
their word it is gold. , [applause] jake: and with that, these honor rings mean so much to us and to highlight the fact that we lose 22 of our finest every day by their own hands and together we can crush that. we can stop it. [laughter] [applause] so with that, before we do this presentation, i feel like i would be remiss if i didn't say to all of those in the audience tonight who served and family members who went through those moments with them, thank you. thank you for being there and thank you for what you did. [applause] and to our vietnam veterans, welcome home, welcome home.
3:45 pm
[applause] jake: and with that, i would like one of my best friends and to present mr. trump with his personal honor ring that we brought to you and that we hope that you wear it with pride and we can make america great again together, brother. [cheers and applause] crowd: u.s.a! u.s.a! u.s.a! u.s.a! [applause] [applause] [cheers]
3:46 pm
mr. trump: that was amazing. isn't that better than this debate that is going on right now? [applause] mr. trump: they are all sleeping. they are all sleeping. everybody. i see two of my friends in the audience and they have come to become very famous and very rich. come on. diamond and silk get up here. , these two are unbelievable. melania called me and she said, there is somebody who is so amazing, you have to see this. and i watched these two incredible women, these two beautiful women, and i watched them go back and forth.
3:47 pm
crowd: trump! trump! trump! [yelling] crowd: trump! trump! trump! mr. trump: i really believed if we took them into a room and just talked to them, it would be fine. we want strength. we want protection. we want borders, we want the wall, if we could sit with them for about 10 minutes, maybe, maybe they would understand. say hello. >> how are you all doing?
3:48 pm
>> you know, it really amazes me how people from the other camp want to come in here and mess this up. [applause] >> but we all know that donald j. trump is going to make america great again. [cheers] >> we all know that this is a rally and that it is imperative that you get up and caucus for donald j. trump. [applause] and all of them on the other side are debating. we have a negotiator and a job creator right here. [cheers] and it is up to all of us to help donald trump make america
3:49 pm
great again! [cheers and applause] mr. trump: i tell you what. they are something. right? was that something? they have become an internet sensation. so just to sum up, we have an amazing country, we need strong leadership, we need passionate -- compassionate leadership, we need to take care of our health care, we need to take care of our borders, we need to make our military so strong, so big, so powerful, that nobody will want to mess with us. nobody, nobody, nobody will mess with it. [applause] mr. trump: all over, and i tell this story all the time, i see our generals on talk shows and
3:50 pm
retiring and they are talking about where the enemy is and i don't want generals to talk, i want generals, and so do you folks, i want generals to have action. i want general george patton, we want general macarthur, we want people who are going to keep us safe. so i just say this. we are a country that doesn't win anymore. we don't win anymore. when was the last time that we won? we don't win on trade, we don't win in the military, we don't beat isis, we don't win anything, we are not good, we are not just in the same place -- we don't beat isis, we don't win anything, we are not good, we are just in the same place. but we are going to get rid of obamacare and come up with a great, great, powerful, wonderful health care. [applause] mr. trump: we are going to win again. i tell you what, we are going to
3:51 pm
win again. we are going to win at every single level. we are not going to be laughed at throughout the rest of the world. they cannot believe what is happening. we send weapons over to our weapons. the enemy takes them and now people come back from the middle east and they tell me, "mr. trump, they have better weapons than we do, they have the new versions, they have the best weapons." it is not going to happen anymore. so this is a special night for me. we started out literally 24 hours ago, maybe less, we had no idea and we went out and we set up the website and i called some friends and we just cracked, the sign was just given, and we just cracked $6 million, right? million. [cheers and applause]
3:52 pm
mr. trump: and we have outside a list of the organizations and the folks that are going to be kidding this money. -- getting this money. they are going to divide up and they are going to get a lot of money, everybody is going to get a lot of money, and they are very great, and we wanted to make sure that people are doing it with the heart and we have picked out some really amazing, amazing veterans organizations. so this has turned out to be a much different evening. i thought this would be small and i didn't even know it was going to happen and it turned out to be a phenomenal, phenomenal night. i got to be some veterans, i got to meet john wayne and your friends, they are something, i am not going to mess with them, ok? [applause] mr. trump: and i want to thank my entire family. i will tell you, you've got vanessa, don, jared, success. ivanka's going to have a baby in two weeks. we have a hospital lined up. we are doing great.
3:53 pm
i was saying that it would be so great if she is going to have her baby in iowa. stand up, honey, say hello. [applause] mr. trump: i want that to happen! i want that to happen so badly. and my boy eric who has been fantastic and my staff who has been great and again, thank you, sir, for that $1 million. i will tell you what, you are a special guy, and we love it. an amazing evening. you veterans are incredible people, brave beyond comprehension. on behalf of everybody in this country, i want to thank you for the job that you do, because without you, we would not be here tonight. thank you all very much. fantastic people.
3:54 pm
thank you, everybody. thank you. thank you. [applause] ♪ [captions copyright national cable satellite corp. 2016] [captioning performed by the national captioning institute, which is responsible for its caption content and accuracy. visit ncicap.org]
3:55 pm
lawn --now from brad's brad zaun. lastde the endorsement october for donald trump. we spoke to the iowa state senator the a video from the state capital. well. us next is brad zaun. iowa state senator. he is also a supporter of the trump campaign. morning. guest: good morning pedro. it's an honor to be on your program. host: walk us how you became to supporter of donald trump? guest: well obviously as a state senator, we get a lot of phone calls from the candidates. lobbied. my wife and i did a lot of praying and a lot of
3:56 pm
based on what mr. trump have ct our candidate. it's a long process. if you know anything about iowa, you're an elected official, you certainly get a lot of opportunities to have one on one conversations. recognizing there's a lot of field.andidates in this we felt many issues, that donald trump was the best person to change the direction of america. host: as far as those issues are concerned, what stood out he offered compared to what the other candidates offering? guest: well, i've gotten a little taste of what's going on politics because i unsuccessfully ran for congress. how the lobbiest and the pac try to influence the elections. very refreshing
3:57 pm
, was he was self-financing his campaign. which he's not going to owe goes towhen he washington d.c. we have five kids. important to us that someone was talking about the debt and having a conversation about making sure not spending more money we take in but most importantly we start to pay the debt off. obviously, the military having a care military and taking of the veterans. a fighter.he's he's someone that has actually created jobs not from washington through created jobs the private sector. i just think that he knows how the economy and myself as a small business background, refreshings really to have someone that's not made career out of politics. oft: there's been a lot discussion about donald trump's political philosophy. how would you define him
3:58 pm
politically? aest: i would say that he is conservative and obviously he's a business person. runs his campaign like a business which is really refreshing. likeer seen a campaign this. he's someone -- i've spent a lot privately.h him without him standing at the podium, he's a lot different person. believe his word. going to go to washington d.c. and make tough but make right decisions. host: you say you spend a lot of time with him. essentially when you spend time with him alone and talking about the mantell us about donald trump then compared to who we see on the stage? different. a lot .e's a very genuine he's a very good listeners. andpent a lot of time
3:59 pm
helped a lot of people out. i know there's been some reports him paying off a mortgage when his vehicle broke down once. i see a lot of things that he on thefore he goes out stage. i see many times when there's having issuesare with their health or problems veterans administration, he goes the extra mile to help those people. lot of time with police military people. where there was a 26-year-old young man that cancer and his dream was to see star wars and to meet donald trump. a lot of timepent with him. i see the things that he does out.ly to help people he's a very giving person. person.onderful
4:00 pm
i've had some opportunities to meet his family members, his family members are very down to earth. measurement asa a father how your kids are. he's a wonderful warm person. which the people and certainly the media doesn't portray that. he's someone that's lot different than when he's on stage. st

101 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on