Skip to main content

tv   Key Capitol Hill Hearings  CSPAN  August 6, 2016 9:00pm-10:52pm EDT

9:00 pm
evening, i received a phone call from his supervisor apologizing for that behavior. mr. president, that is at least the third phone call i have received from a supervisor or the chief of police. while i think god i have not endured bodily harm, i have however felt the pressure applied by the scales of justice. anger, frt the sadness, humiliation that comes with feeling like you are being targeted are not being than just yourself. there is absolutely nothing more
9:01 pm
frustrating, more damaging to your soul then when you know you are following the rules and being treated like you and i. but make no mistake, no matter this turmoil, these issues should not lead anyone to any conclusion other than to abide by the laws. dr. martin luther king jr. said it so well. rejoining violence with violence only leads to more violence and , nights toker nights paraphrase without stars. there is never, ever an acceptable reason to harm a member of our law enforcement community. ever. i don't want anyone to misinterpret the words i am saying. even in the times of great
9:02 pm
darkness, there is a light. there are hundreds, thousands of -- who that officers who go beyond the call of duty. ms. taylor at the dallas incident was covered completely by at least three officers who were willing to lose their life to save hers. opportunity to be grateful and thankful for our men and women in uniform. i shared another story on monday night as well. while the one i want to tell you today does not involve a tragic loss of life, it does show support that meant a lot to me at the time it occurred.
9:03 pm
i believe it is my responsibility to hang out, be with my constituents as much as possible and hear their concerns. when we arrived at the event, the organizers seemed to have a particular issue with me coming into the event. he allowed my staffers to go into the event, seems to be allowing the officers to go to the event who both said they weren't going in if i wasn't. a real tensevoid situation, i opted to leave because there is no way of winning that kind of debate ever . i was so proud and thankful for those too long was went officers
9:04 pm
who were enraged by this treatment. it was such a moment that i will never forget and a situation i would love to forget. situation happens across the country whether we want to recognize it or not. it may not happen 1000 times a day but it happens to many times a day. help me understand why this issue, wounds that have not healed in a generation. it helped me to appreciate and understand and hopefully communicate why it is time for the american family to have a conversation about where we are and where we are going
9:05 pm
and how to get there. must find a way to fulfill these cracks in the very foundation of our country. return with myl final speech in a three-part series. on solutions and how to get to where we need to go by talking about the policies that get us there and the people solutions because i, like you, i don't believe all answers are in government. today, however, i simply ask you this. that just because you do not feel the pain, the anguish of another, does not exist. does not
9:06 pm
to ignore their struggles, our struggles does not make them disappear. it simply leaves you blind and the american family variable marble. some thirst so hard to explain away in justice that they are slowly wiping away who we are as a nation but we must come together to fulfill what we all know is possible here in america , peace, love, and understanding. you, mr. president. may i say to my colleague how much i appreciate his frank discussion today.
9:07 pm
have you blessed to and cory booker here. we don't have enough diversity here. as much as all of us want to walk in each other's shoes, because -- because each of us has different experiences in our life, eight really matters who is in the room, who is at the microphone, who is sharing the truth and you have shared a truth with us today. other senators have shared similar stories with us. it is life-changing for us. i so appreciate everything you have said and it makes us better to have you and cory booker here that, i came to discuss a similar topic, the status of race relations in america today because i don't think you and cory booker should
9:08 pm
have to be the ones to carry this forward. because when i was a little girl when i was 10, i came face-to-face with ugly, vile, stupid, dangerous discrimination. i cheered on jackie robinson with all my girl power to counteract what my dad said with hatred aimed at jackie because howhe color of his skin and blessed was i when i worked hard with a republican colleague to make sure jackie robinson got the congressional medal of honor. mother,n i was with my 10 years old, 1950, i saw african americans forced to sit in the back of the bus. i got up to offer mysql an elderly woman. she must have been 55 at the time. . stood up
9:09 pm
she refused me. she said no and i was hurt. i said to my mother, what is happening here. why won't the woman take my seat and my mother said segregation. this made no sense to me. my mother could have let it go. instead, she told me to follow her to the back of the bus, not that anyone noticed but we knew what we were doing and i felt part of her team, part of the team against this craziness. where people have to go to the back of the bus simply because of the color of your skin. the civil rights movement has made in norma's progress in our loss. the trouble remains in our hearts. .here's too much
9:10 pm
regardless of the color of your skin if you are a police officer, kissing his or her family goodbye in the morning, or the parents of a young african-american teenager, they will not see their loved ones at night. .et that is a truth in america that has been witnessed by a couple of our senators. fear thatuld have to they wouldn't see their loved ones at night because of this type of hatred. time to paint whole groups of people with a broad brush because when you do that, that is the definition of prejudice. you could not broad brush a because of the
9:11 pm
color of their skin or because they are religious or who they love. what we need is the de-escalation of suspicion and an escalation of trust. it is long past time that we look inside our own soul and banish the hatred. look at us each as god's creation. men often hate each other because they fear each other. they fear each other because they don't know each other.
9:12 pm
they don't know each other because they cannot communicate, they cannot communicate because they are separated. that is what martin luther king said. in man who taught us to block in each other's shoes. ande need that conversation we started by breaking down the very errors that separate us, bridging the gap between law enforcement and establishing trust.
9:13 pm
there were police versus community issues. i recommended in the colleagues concurred in a new system of community policing. what does it mean? it means you get the police out of a central precinct and you move them into the community. relationships develop. it seems so right, it worked so well that i would shocked when i got out of local government that i realized not enough communities were following that same method. there's cooperation and true protection in the community and it's an obvious step should be implemented widely. what can we do? love.not force people to .e can suggest it
9:14 pm
we can't force people to be tolerant. but there are certain things we i ventured his legislation called the pride at that would start us off by giving -- getting sisters -- statistics we need. how many shootings are there in our communities by the police to the community? believe it or not, we don't really collect those numbers. we would provide funding to states for the use of force training, for law enforcement agencies and personnel, including de-escalation and bias trading. and public awareness announcements to gain information.
9:15 pm
it's a very balanced piece of legislation that looks at the problems on both sides. secondly, we need to better support law enforcement agencies that work to advance the practices of the community. we can do that by increasing funding for the justice department community policing development program. that provides law-enforcement toncies with funding implement innovative community policing practices. but the funding for this critical program, which may well be one of our most important, is $8 million a year. for the whole country, it's not enough. we should provide dedicated funding for justice department programs to initiate formal gatherings, to bring community members and police into one
9:16 pm
conversation. anyone who looked at dallas understand how hard they are trying, how much they have done. when i saw president obama with mrs. obama and president george w. bush with laura bush, i was so happy. they are starting that conversation. one of the founders of black lives matter said we had so many different experiences that are rich and complex. we need to bring all these experiences to the table to achieve the solutions we desire who hasne listening heard the stories or read some tothe words, we have a lot learn. a united states senator being
9:17 pm
stopped seven times? i heard senator scott say. in one year? because of the color of his skin. just too much for these people to their and we need to policies.change yes, we have so many different experiences that are rich and complex. and we need to bring those experiences to the table. my friend the senator from alaska is here. we are only 20 women out of 100. i think our colleagues understand we have brought something to the body. we have brought our experiences to the body and it transcends partisanship. when we are in the room, it's a
9:18 pm
bit of a different conversation because not that we're any better, but we have had different experiences and when our african-american colleagues tellis, look at our lives, look at what we have been through, they have the same job as you. sevene we pulled over times in a year? why have we been scared? there is something wrong and we cannot turn our back on it and we cannot leave it up to those colleagues to lead us. we need to help them and work together and have this conversation. formally recognize and encourage police departments who epitomize what it means to be a keeper of the peaceful. that is what they want to be. those officers who attend community meetings after work,
9:19 pm
who spend their saturdays playing basketball with the neighborhood kids, who attend church services sunday can contact with the congregants, who take lower income children shopping for gifts for christmas, who stopped to check in on residents just because they care. that is happening all over the country. we can't paint people with a broad brush. it's wrong. at a police department knew something had to change so they invited the public to participate in no changes. door community
9:20 pm
meetings, created the citizen advisory board, invited residents to experience their training simulator and you give them a new perspective on what police experience, see it through our eyes, they said. and let's deescalate attention and escalate the trust. they put a high importance on hiring officers with a connection to vallejo and wanted to serve the public. they even started a late-night youth program at the local high school. a started change from within that community. should have a community policing innovation department,tice which would reward law enforcement agencies and localities who are doing the .ight thing >> we just heard senator barbara boxer talk about her proposal to create a community policing
9:21 pm
innovation fund at the justice department. josh letterman, what are other members of congress doing on police and race relations? >> seen a lot of members of congress take an interest in this what it's difficult to find solutions that can have -- happen as a result of new laws. some of what you have seen is a renewed conversation about congress has talked about for quite some time. criminal justice reform that congress has yet to be able to make a lot of solid progress on. the other being gun control, something the president has talked a lot about. last month, senate republicans blocked legislation that would prevent people on the terror list from buying guns and we have seen other challenges for democrats on that issue as well. for theorking group met first time. tell us about that group.
9:22 pm
>> they have met. they have been discussing some of the things congress would try to do to try to find solutions for this a but things are really getting heated and you have a political issue like this that is so controversial, there's not a lot of optimism congress will move on something major on this anytime soon. recentlyent obama signed the active shooter training bill. >> this allows law enforcement departments to access federal funds to improve their training for active shooter situation's. this does not create new funds. these are existing federal funds that can be direct did to that effort. the president signed it and didn't do any major ceremony but signed it in private and it has now become law. >> several senators have also a back the blue act.
9:23 pm
what would that do? >> that would create strict minimum sentences for people who are targeting law enforcement officers and you see that coming from republican members of congress. >> as the issue spotlight continues, we will hear about one families encounter and the police chief takes part in a panel on law-enforcement perspective. it begins with a five minute documentary on the incident. ♪ >> they called me at work about 5:15.
9:24 pm
they said i'm going to take the kids to my mother's house. i said ok. i can meet you at your mother's house. i got to vicky's house at about 6:00. we were sitting in the backyard, joking around. me if theyd cj asked could ride their bikes around for five more minutes. i said fine. >> am sitting on the couch in the house and i hear my mother begging on the door, the police are outside. as we are coming out the door, you see three white police officers walking toward my son, putting their gloves on. on whenloves you put you want to rev somebody up or frisk somebody. .e walks over to the fence "you, come here." being the dad, i walk over
9:25 pm
hold up.montagne >> he said you're not going anywhere. why do you want to talk to myself? >> and he said who are you and i said i'm his dad. is there a problem? , i wasn'tf all calling you. second, we got him for fleeing a scene. this is what he said. i said ok you got him fleeing the scene of what? do anythingidn't but when i called him to come here, he kept on going and didn't stop for me. bike, ariding a big three wheel tricycle bike like for your grandma, you know. >> i was going at a steady pace. a pace if they really wanted to get me, they could let out the car and walk at the same pace.
9:26 pm
turning to come into my grandmother's alley, they tod that is when he told me get off my bike but i heard no police, i didn't even see a car. >> their explanation was he ran from the police. >> that gives us the right to stop insert your son because people run from us on bikes. that is not probable cause to stop somebody child. supposed to say ok, come on, find? no. why? >> he tells me, since you are getting in my face, i should lock you up right now. i said well since you feel like i'm up in your face, i'm going to back up so i backup and that's when i said can you just call your supervisor because
9:27 pm
this is getting out of hand. the station is across the street and i would appreciate it if you called your supervisor. i just need someone to talk to who isn't angry right now. kind of't know what distress signal he sent out but he sent out a distress signal that led to maybe 30 or 40 police cars lining up my mother's alley. please back up. please. please backup. >> how? for a 15-year-old. for a 15-year-old. a good 15-year-old.
9:28 pm
deandre, i need you to go in the house. a 15-year-old. one. they can't tell me i can't do this. don't worry about it. 115-year-old. one 15-year-old. what? >> let me talk. >> now he is just now saying this. in like just taking it all this for a bike with no light. i was just like -- >> if that is what you wanted,
9:29 pm
why did you need to search him or do anything else? >> a 15-year-old. one 15-year-old. one. >> mother, moved before they touch you. the one in the black shirt. [applause] >> we are going to talk about what we just saw but before i do, let me introduce who we have on stage. you will recognize some of them. a filmmaker and founder of loudspeaker films. carletteike a davis -- harris and amonte harris and calvin davis. film.w these three on
9:30 pm
i imagine this was difficult to watch this over and over again. emotional. the only thing i think that could have change this is the police listening to us. why is it that you want to search our son? us, if you just talk to then we might have said ok, but then again, i don't know. i don't know what the reason was. it is just so frustrating.
9:31 pm
we see it is because your sister was filming it. >> as soon as it happened, she started filming it. she just pulled out her phone and started filming. >> you have had a relationship with his family for some time. you were not drawn to this because of this incident? >> know, calvin was the last person on earth i would expect to be arrested. we were already filming the family and continue to, just following him through high school and beyond, filming his cousin and his parents. it just happened during the time. story, thankthe god that her sister found it.
9:32 pm
i don't think we would have been able to tell it very well if she had not taken video of the actual arrest. >> i'm wondering if it would be hard to even get people to understand what happened that night. it,ou weren't able to see listen to the discourse that night. hear the term assault on a police officer, that brings up a specific idea. he spoke. he spoke. he said why do want to talk to my son? why did you follow him down the alley? riding down thedown th sidewalk. see inhat you did not the film is what happened after this. you were taken into custody. >> yes, spend the night.
9:33 pm
>> as the case proceeded, you were given a choice. you were offered a deal. >> yes, and the deal was that i could do 32 hours of community and have the charges somewhat expunged. >> why did you decide to do this when you thought you had done nothing wrong? >> when i went to court the next courthey appointed me a appointed lawyer. i'm thinking this is a small case, i will take the court-appointed lawyer. the court-appointed lawyers said it is your words against his words. 32hought i would take the community hours of service and get it over with. make ayou have to
9:34 pm
decision right away? >> i had a few days in between the time before going back to court. she really wanted me to just fight it. up in washington, d.c. my whole life. the interactions between ,inorities and police officers from what i know as an experience, is never good. to me, i just wanted to get it over with, be done with as part of it, go on with my life. community32 hours of service, just be done with it. >> where did you do your community service? >> the department of of the >> landfill.lic works
9:35 pm
they gave me two months to complete 32 hours at my own pace. so i think i finished it within the first month prior to going back to court. four eight hours for consecutive weekends at the landfill cleaning up trash. >> so you fulfilled your community service? and the deal was that it would be expunged from your record? has it been removed? >> well, not in a sense. me and my wife went to some family changes and have adopted two more boys. two twins. [applause] >> seriously. adoption, iss of don't know if anyone here has ever been through it. a full check.
9:36 pm
>> they do a full fbi background check. it came up. >> how are you informed that it came up? ,> they do a fingerprint check and luckily it wasn't one of the things that will stop them from doing the adoption, but the social worker let me know that it came up. i had a chance to explain to her. assaulting a police officer specifically to me is physical violence against a police officer, so i got a chance to explain my part of the story to the social worker. >> how will you even should get that removed? >> it is in the works now. there is something they call expungement, and you have to go to the courthouse from what i
9:37 pm
have been told and investigated myself. you have to physically go to the courthouse and set some type of date. a trialway you can get date to expunge her records. >> you plan on doing up? >> of course. >> the young lady said it will never be removed from your record. it is something that you can't go into, but that will always pop up on his record. >> it is not expunged. it is just sealed. only certain people can see it. if you want to do an extensive background check, fbi check, i think it will,. come up.nt to do >> if you want to get a job. come up.it will
9:38 pm
>> have you ever been ask if you have been convicted of a crime? >> on the paperwork part where it says have you ever been convicted of a crime, technically i was not convicted, but just for safe purposes, i will put yes so that if it comes up i can explain to the employer. yes, do you have an opportunity to explain that or do go on that file instead of this pile? >> that is what obama is doing now. >> i want to hear from you if you don't mind. the police officers involved this, and we should say that there will be police officers on stage and we will talk about these issues and have something to say about what they have seen in the film, but the police officers patrolled the neighborhood, which means that some of the gentleman there in a back alley are people you might
9:39 pm
see as you move around the neighborhood. what have those encounters been like for you? >> i have not really encountered any of the police officers in the video recently. just school, home, homework, my brother, that's all. >> we had a chance to talk backstage. you said you never write a bicycle anymore. >> not mrs. early, but when it gets dark outside, when they can say i did not have a light on my bicycle again, i would rather just walk. onyou won't get a bicycle on a bicycle at night? >> right. >> you live in a community where many people feel like their encounters with law enforcement are prickly, are negative. sometimes they need to going to
9:40 pm
jail for reasons that are curious, but at the same time, there are people in the community you think make our streets safer. there are some people who need to go to jail and we need to make sure the police go down hard on them so we can sit on our front porch and enjoy our evening, so the kids can rider bicycles, so they can play kickball. what would you say to those people in the community who might look at this and say this kind of aggressive policing is needed sometimes? >> it is needed for the situations that it is needed for. without aa bicycle light, i don't think that is a situation where it is needed for. [applause] a i don't think that's situation. somebody getting hit by a car, shot, stabbed, that's where i think they should be, but when something like that happens -- [applause] crazy.s
9:41 pm
the other day i am on my way to school with me and my friend and are walking and an officer is staring at my friend. he threw something in the trash trade he asked my friend what are you looking at? he was like, what you looking at? come on.like we just went to school. it is a situation that is not called for. >> that is my first time hearing this. where is he? >> he told his mom. his mom is a judge in one of the washington, d.c. courthouses. she says she is on it. [applause] [laughter] >> have your parents given you the talk? >> what talk? [laughter] you -- they ever talk to
9:42 pm
when you leave the house, particularly now after this encounter, do they tell you, do they give you advice, son, this is how you should carry yourself? >> every day, get your work done, back home, family comes first. have your belt on. [laughter] >> every day. >> we have an eight-year-old who mimics everything you do. he won't wear his pants hanging down. he thinks that is foolish. [laughter] >> since all this has happened, my eight-year-old, calvin junior, he is terrified of the police.
9:43 pm
we can drive and mom will be behind us and he will be like, are the police behind us? we have our seatbelts on. we are fine. he is terrified. because he was right there. >> how do you inoculate that question mark how do you deal wit? do you want your son to be afraid of police? >> i do not want him to be afraid of the police. there are situations where you need the police in your neighborhood. you do want your child to be able to go up and speak to the police and let them know the police is there for you. after he was in this real-life situation, how do we tell him that? >> how do you tell him? i will protect you. that is even for the police.
9:44 pm
it doesn't matter. i am your mom. let me know. i will handle it. >> you know any of the police officers in your community by name? >> no. >> one is retired. >> i'm not asking to be provocative. what does that say? >> it says a lot actually. i was having a conversation with kelly the other day leading up to this event. you get those officers in these , your duty is to protect and serve. i was telling kelly the other day. we were having a formal conversation. i said when they officers come it seemsneighborhoods
9:45 pm
like their whole duty is to seek and destroy. really. that is what it seems like. the encounters, there is no positive encounters with police officers. >> when you talk to police theyers, they feel that face a ball of distrust or hatred. they would like something different. they would like to figure out how to bridge that gap as well. having chicago police officers interview young people in the community and vice a versa. it is interesting what they can actually say to each other if they are alone in a room and have a chance to talk. alabama, the, police chief was sending police officers into schools to read to students so that students would see a police officer's badge, his name, and get to know young people. as they grew up, they would remember.
9:46 pm
some of those things are looked at with derision, soft approaches to policing, but do those kinds of things make any sense to you? >> they do. >> i just wanted to point out bothprior to the incident of them were raising their children to be respectful of the police. monday, he action can't remember how many times he has been approached by the police in washington, d.c. walking his dog, riding the metro, playing with his friends, and the police are waiting at the next up for him. that, the police are here for you. they are the good guys. when you see the rest of the film, you will hear them talk about that. having thelk about
9:47 pm
community, there is no accountability right now. the only reason we know about this is because somebody put out the cell phone footage. even after the sergeant in charge found out what was actually happen and had happened , he still signed off on charging calvin with two crimes. where does it stop? that is incredible. how can everyone watch this and allow him to happen that night when he got arrested? he will be let out tonight. i remember them saying, he will be let out tonight, but when he had the interview, the cop decided we want you to stay tonight, and that is exactly what they told him. the arresting cop wants you to stay tonight. >> it was actually two charges. assaulting a police officer and tampering with evidence. >> which is monti. ?> what is the evidence
9:48 pm
are you calling my son the evidence? a the charge of assaulting police officer is not always physical in its nature. >> know, in the process of making the film and editing it i about assault on a police officer and how the law is so vague in washington, d.c. nearly 4000 people have been charged with assault on a police officer the between 2012-2014, 90% were black. the majority of them were not charged with anything else. if you can use a law that just by talking to a police officer that you can be charged with assault and there is nothing else, what is happening? they are all black citizens. monan how can you expect te to trust an institution that
9:49 pm
treats him like that. >> that something being discussed right now in the police force. hearll be interesting to from law enforcement officers when they take the stage. we don't have much time left. i wanted to make sure we have enough time for questions from the audience. you got your hand up so fast. thank you very much. this has been a very heavy panel. i want to say as a citizen that i am sorry. risant to tell miss nor that you have to tell your children to not look somebody in the eye. i am sorry about that. that is very wrong. that is not america. i have a question. for the young man, would you want to do when you grow up? would you want to be? >> thank you for your question.
9:50 pm
>> thank you. [applause] this is my senior year in high school right now. [applause] so i am actually playing rugby. i would like a scholarship for that. ould, too. >> i have been thinking about going into the washington, d.c. fire department, but i've been thinking about getting my degree. i don't think the fire department is enough. i still need to get my degree. [applause] have another question right down here. .t is hard for me to see and then we will go over there. hi everyone.
9:51 pm
i taught him last year. [applause] surprised when i saw you. , how doesn for you this affect u.s. school? is there a parallel structure to what you see with the institution of the police, is there a parallel issue with education? yes, no, how do you see it? >> i don't really see it as a problem with school, but it gets in the way. question, butthe feel judged don't by the police, that is every day. it don't get in the way. you have to be strong.
9:52 pm
you have to want to go to school. you have to know that when you go to school you might get in a situation and have to be above it and know what you are doing. >> since we will have law enforcement officers on stage soon, we could go on, but we have to move on to the next panel. i want you to pose a question that they might consider answering. >> as far as law enforcement? >> if you had a chance to sit what would you want to know about how they do you their job or what question would you post to people working in law enforcement? why was my stepdad arrested question mark why was my little brother crying because i did not have -- why was my stepdad arrested? why was my little brother crying because i did not have a light on my bicycle? >> not just about that night.
9:53 pm
calvin, what about you? >> what question would i ask? , iould just want to know have been doing research about interracial issues within the u.s., and they change that law. read,7 that i have assaulting a police officer. why and 2007 was it changed to be so vague? law was 2007, that specifically assaulting a police officer, hands-on assault with a police officer. after 2007, i just want to know why did the law become so vague, where people connection to get locked up for a long time, lose their job, and not be able to get a job because of that law?
9:54 pm
that led to the lobbying change? [applause] >> thank you very much. thank you. [applause] ♪ >> hello everyone. , in this eraiting of attention to police brutality,and police ideal with people on the other end of it. i tend to hear one side of it. i am very privileged to be here to talk to actual police officers actually dealing with the work. i'm hoping we can get to a
9:55 pm
different perspective into the roots of some of the things we have been seeing and talking about in this country. ,'m here with ron davis director of community oriented policing services at the doj. cap --, who is the chief of .c.ice for washington, d who is a be police officer in new jersey. i have a lot of questions for you. i want to start with the chief. i want to get this out of the way. and theyad a panel showed a video of an incident that happened. i viewed it myself. all of us who have seen it have thought it is disturbing could i wanted to give your chance to respond. >> i have seen parts of the video, not all of it. i know there is still some production going on with
9:56 pm
finishing the film. of course, i tried to do some research, so i just saw it recently. in 2012.ed back i look to see if there was a complaint filed, what happened to the charges, and then i reached out to calvin just because i felt like i should reach out to calvin and offer an opportunity to speak with the family about the incident. because i have learned the hard way in my video ofhat when i see something, and interaction with police and community members, i'm not going to comment on that specific is a video. nore was no complaint filed, investigation done, so i don't have the benefit of hindsight. this was all looked into, statements taken, but i normally don't comment on those things
9:57 pm
anyway because as soon as i make a comment on a piece of video ic, inevitably another piece of video or something else will surface, but i will say this about that interaction. any time i see an interaction between a community member and a endsce officer that inn badly, in this case you have a family or father who is saying why kids are afraid of the police. is bad.hat anytime i see something like that, it bothers me. there are too many positive things that police officers do every day and interactions with the community for one incident to change a family's perception, and we have to make sure that does not happen. i also think in terms of watching the snippets of video that i saw with calvin is that smallt takes one or two
9:58 pm
things to change the tone of an encounter with a police officer, and sometimes it is the tone of the police officer, sometimes it is how you say something, the way you say something, the body language as you approach, but once that tension starts, it tends to not stop, and so i think the important thing for us and police officers to remember is that we have to very conscious of the way we approach people and speak to people. most people get defensive if they feel like you are being offenses. being very respectful in encounters and requests if it is not a crisis, if it is not a dangerous situation, requests versus demand change the dynamics of little bit, so that's what we try to educate our police officers, the importance of encounters. authority and
9:59 pm
respect is because you have a uniform. [applause] going toiform is represent either fear and oppression or hope and safety. you decide how people view that uniform. the uniform does not decide for you. ask somebodyt to who is actually out there right now, when you have an interaction with the community member, do you try to communicate? what is your approach when you are out on the beat? is to engage the community, ask questions, see how their day is going. and i willg my beat try to engage and say hello, good morning. we will engage in a conversation. mymain approach is to get community where i work at. theymething happens there, are more likely to speak to you because they know you.
10:00 pm
ok, maybe they might not speak to that officer because they don't know them. they feel more comfortable. tell us a little bit, i think it is important about why you are a police officer. to be aays wanted police officer, but several things happened when i was younger. was growing up, my mom owned a convenience store. i was in kindergarten around the time that she was robbed at gunpoint. she always tells the story about that, and it was scary because i could have lost my mom that day. as time went on, a lot of my other family members own small groceries. a smally uncles owned grocery in north kansas in 2003, and he was robbed and shot, and he died from that wound, so that really impacted me.
10:01 pm
that really hit close to home because i lost a loved one from an act of violence, so i think from their i knew i needed to make a change in my community and felt like i wanted to help and make a difference. >> you feel like you are making a change? >> yes, i do. when i speak to, especially with i don't know what kind of encounter their parents might have had or what they are being told, but when i speak to them, they are like, hello, officer. i want to be an officer. i think that is great. she is a female. engage them, you change their perspective. interested, this is a wildcard, i wonder as young person, i don't know your background, but what your relationship was like with the police, what your perception was
10:02 pm
of the police. did your parents have a talk with you? i do one of put anything on you, but i want to know what your experience was like. >> let me start by saying that the officer is being very modest. she recently had a meeting with president obama with about five other officers and talk to him about what it is like to be a rank-and-file officer. it really helped to shape the views of the ministration. -- the administration. [applause] cop.r me, my father was a , i had a lot of protection that young men of color don't have the my father was a cop. i could invoke that privilege. when i decided to be youthful
10:03 pm
, like mostheadish young people are. i have two daughters. i stand corrected. was a cop for close to 30 years. now i work for the administration. people don't like to hear this, but i will say this anyway. my son just started his freshman year in college. when he first got his license, i face the dilemma that every parent has come especially with a young man of color, and that is to have this talk. for youngis mandatory men of color in this country, what to do when stopped by the police. knowing that the overwhelming majority continue to do a good job. as a father, i still have to have that talk. that my son is in college, i have multiple worries now. andis that he get stopped
10:04 pm
he is a threatening person just because he is a young man of color. he recently got stopped, which is interesting, after we have the talk. he said the encounter went well. he was speeding, so he got a ticket. i also have to worry about he is going to northwestern and is in a major metropolitan area, and i have to worry about violence, that he will get caught up and get hurt by gang violence. worry just like every father, that he will not ring me a grandchild until he is ready. when i grew up, i did not have some of the same challenges. in that case, i grew up a little more privilege, if you will. as a father, i am concerned about it. as a society, it comes down to one question. r one question
10:05 pm
we have to ask him all of us, white, black, how do we see our young men of color? how do we view them? if we view them as a threat, a lot of things become different. being defined in the classroom is no longer youthful exuberance. things come out of our fear and interested by us, so we need to struggle that as a people and answer the question how do we view our young men of color to make sure we treat everyone with respect. [applause] and one of the things we were talking about behind stage, and this is a theory of mine. we live in a society right now where it strikes me as an observer and a citizen that police officers are called into ,ituations in which maybe
10:06 pm
bringing someone into the is notl justice system the best answer. inhink about that case columbia, south carolina, but there are some in cases like that, a drug issue that could have been thought about from a public health perspective. that is not to excuse the officer anything, but that is there. mental health issues, which is behind it. i wonder what your perspective is? are we asking our police officers to do too much? >> policing has been pushing back on that for years and years. the driveas become through 24 hour mcdonald's of services, right?
10:07 pm
days athe only 24 7, 365 year, out there in the community when a crisis hits or when something has to be solved, and when there is not other resources for it, the police will handle it, and to some extent, the community, if they don't know who to call, are going to call the police. yes, i think there are a lot of things that we in policing try the best we can to train and prepare for, but we know there are other people better for providing that service. if we could get police out of that system, we would. i think that is part of it. we have to look at laws and enforcement, enforcement versus regulation in some cases, regulation is one thing. you don't need a badge and gun to regulate. >> can you make a concrete? >> there are some things that are violations of regulations where officers are sent out to enforce. like minor violations of
10:08 pm
business regulations or maybe is and even criminal in some cases, minor single sale cigarettes. are these things you need to have a badge and gun enforcing? are these things more regulatory they could be handled through a simple process and eliminate the potential for things to go bad? i think there are a lot of things. i think we need the mental health training. we are going to do with people with mental health crises, but i would love it if people in this country knew they had a loved one with a mental health crisis that they could dial another number than 911 and get a mental health professional out who knows how to deal with that, versus a police officer who has been trained, but in a 40 hour ouse, to try and deal with that. -- course, to try and deal with
10:09 pm
that. in 2014,e first time crime rates and arrest rates went down at the same time. we have to accept that an arrest is not automatically equate to public safety. we have to take a look at her sentencing and how long we are keeping people in jail. this is where we are seeing bipartisan support. it is costing us $80 billion a year, and that is the kind of money that could be reinvested to providing services. ,t is $6,000 for treatment $60,000 for incarceration. t oured to look a priorities and adjust accordingly so we are preparing our young people for society. we need to convince ourselves that we do not fall into the temporary satisfaction that comes with a lot of arrests that were made. are a coproducer of the
10:10 pm
public sector working to make the community safe. if you simply asked the police to do it, all i have is a hammer and everything looks like a nail , and it goes one direction and only one direction only. was in a discussion with all the justice partners the other day, and there was a session about investing in drug get into, once people the system, and really the solution for the criminal justice partners is for us to try to put ourselves out of business. isn't that ultimately the goal? you should have the investment longer form the person gets into beforetem, so how about you are incarcerated, not after you are incarcerated. i hate to say it, but more investments in social services and less investment in police and incarceration is probably the long-term solution.
10:11 pm
>> i would like to open up to questions really quick. bipartisan to this there is a lot of overall interest in criminal justice reform, not just police. that consensus is built on very thin ice. in a moment compared to 20 years ago, the crime rates are lower, and yet even still we have heard quite a bit about this ferguson affect that says quite a bit about this moment. you have black lives matter activist filming police officers. some of the crime we have seen in our cities, there is a direct relationship between those two things. we have heard this from very high places in our government. i wonder what you guys think about it. we are seeing spikes in violence in certain cities around the country, and we have
10:12 pm
an obligation to do the research to find out why. we respond to crime with empirical data so we go to the root causes of it. a notion that suggests america's not do yoursomehow job, i reject it. that is not happening. also we know through history that we should not make that connection. we need to find out more data. ask theto research and tough questions, but we need to have a conversation so that we can have the courage to ask at the top, come up with answers. although we are seeing a spike, ins is still a 40 year low crime. a before we assume there is national epidemic of violence, and all violence is something we have to with, we should take a look at what got us there. i am listening to my colleagues saying, we need to do it by not
10:13 pm
trying to arrest our way out of a crime. the idea is that policing in a democratic society means that public scrutiny is not a threat to policing, it is the foundation of it. [applause] >> that is the only way he can work. if you think about it, the greatest exertion of government authority is about the use of force by police. it has to be scrutinized and a violated, but has to be done fairly so that officers are treated with dignity and respect at all sides are heard before we make our judgments. >> before we go to questions, i will put this to you quickly. i don't think you have been in this position yet. as you are doing your job and you see folks filming you on their camera phones, does that affect your willingness to go do your job? wayo, i act the same
10:14 pm
whether i am on camera or off-camera. i am always professional and treat everybody with dignity and respect. >> i think we have time for one question. here we go. my name is desiree. officers were in the video, what would you guys do differently or what would you do? >> you are asking about the calvin video? i have only seen bits and pieces of the video. i saw it just a few days ago, but i will say this. been policinghave here, and i started policing here in 1990, when we had a huge in the crime issue district and relationships were not good with police. i learned quickly that sometimes the simplest of things can turn
10:15 pm
a normal encounter between a police officer and a community member in a bad direction very quickly. when i say the simplest of things, it is the tone of voice or the way you approach a person , the level they perceive of the way you respect them. that goes both ways. lack ofeen it perceived respect from the community member by the way or tone an officer uses. and so you just have to, i have to say that i have spent the majority of my career to make conscious, am conscien respect for the fact i am entering someone's home, ismunity, where there something that bad has happened. i have to bring things back to
10:16 pm
where we can have a reasonable discussion first. >> ok, we got one more. we still have time for one more. >> the question is largely for the officer. i am a community organizer and i event wheremunity we were harassed by police officers. we had a sergeant called to the scene, and the sergeant continued to harass. i.s. the surgeon about his tone -- iis level of respect asked in the sergeant about his tone and his level of respect. he was yelling at the citizens. he turns to me and says we don't have de-escalation training. .e get verbal judo [laughter] >> i would like you to speak to what verbal judo is and why we don't have de-escalation training. [applause]
10:17 pm
the first question i would ask, and you don't have to answer, if ever you have an interaction with the police officer that you don't feel was appropriate for any reason, i would encourage you to make sure sot you file a complaint that the police department can look into it. so somebody outside can take a look at what happened and try to address issues. before de-escalation was called de-escalation, because de-escalation has been taught and police academy since i came on in the early 1990's. it has evolved over the years. while we arech it in defensive tactics, different scenario-based training, but we have been doing it for many years. this officer had to be a 10-12 judo wasran, verbal
10:18 pm
one of the best de-escalation training's out there and it was taught nationwide. it was very effective. i don't know if it was sarcasm or what without knowing everything. it is de-escalation training. it is just a different name. >> it has been around since the 1990's. the concept of judo is you redirect energy. you are redirecting anger and the escalating so you are talking yourself down from situations. modified,n updated, but we both kind of smiled cassettes going back a few years. -- smile because that is going back a few years. still put them through de-escalation training as part of their ongoing training.
10:19 pm
if you have not talked to somebody about that encounter or want to give me that information, i would encourage you so that we can look into it. -- and thatnible] it has saved them money and training and all of that. reason whye and the it appears that black people and others are being treated less than human as enemies? >> let me start with that one. happylot of people here, belated veterans day. we provide a lot of grants for hiring and support the hiring of veterans, not because it saves costs, but because these are young men and women who sacrificed their lives for this country and we have an obligation to help them return back to the community and provide support for them. we also know that the military understands the disciplinary process. i think it is the training, not just that they are veterans.
10:20 pm
the diversity of force is pretty strong. one argument is that many of the volunteers are young men and would becolor, so i cautious about making that assumption. i think where i would agree with you is that we have to be careful that we don't militarized police. even the military will tell you that they are using different tactics. >> the military is teaching community policing in communities. military service does not afford stilly opportunity, you have the same hiring requirements, you still have to go to the same police academy, so it does not lower the standards. what it does for me and washington, we have a 60 college credit hour requirement, and some of our young men and women go off into the military and don't go to college, and this affords those folks an opportunity to come on the police department using their service in the military in
10:21 pm
exchange for the 60 college credits, which they can get when they come on the police department. these are community members. these are local community members. as i said, the military has been community policing for the last 8-10 years. >> if there is a feeling out there that communities are being treated as the enemy, i don't think we are pushing back. that may be the case where you are living. is inly thing i would say don't think it would be accurate to attach to one segment of policing being veterans. i think i would take a look at is how officers are held accountable, how they are relating to the community. chief, i knowlice that looking at the men and women who have come from service, and i am a veteran. my daughter is a veteran.
10:22 pm
their sense of duty can be very positive. not excuse the department not treating the community right, but we have to be cautious before we make that link, but we have to be concerned. >> thank you. >> thank you. >> thank you. >> outstanding. ♪ >> c-span's issue spotlight continues. the republican and democratic conventions are over and now we look ahead to the november elections. , what are the presidential candidate saying about race relations question mark >> both of the candidates have seized on this as a major issue in the campaign. donald trump has dubbed himself the law and order candidate. he is trying to show he is tough on crime, supports law enforcement, will be there for
10:23 pm
police officers when they are in these kinds of situations. he has spoken critically about situations where people who have attacked police officers have not gotten really harsh sentences. so he is really trying to take the hawkish point of view on this. henry clinton has taken a slightly different approach. of lawalso supportive enforcement, but is trying to address the issue and concerned that a lot of african-americans have we saw at the convention a full display of trying to show activist who are trying to say that this cannot continue to happen and we need to do something about it. is this issuent of police and race relations to the 2016 campaign overall? >> it is certainly very important. we don't know how many voters will make up their minds based solely on this issue, but it is one of the biggest issues in the news right now and one that has
10:24 pm
dropped to the heart of concerns for people, so we know both candidates are talking about it almost daily. they are releasing ads that discuss these issues and they're trying to make it part of their core message why they are best prepared to leave the country through a difficult time. what ahere is part of former st. louis police officer told students at the university of delaware about what he saw on the job. >> i want to share some things with you about my experiences when i was on the department, then i will get to my remarks. to give you a sense, a foundational sense, of some of what this movement that you have seen grow from ferguson all the way around the world, it has been vilified wrongfully and so many corners, what it is really about.
10:25 pm
career, i was working with an officer, and happened to be at white female officers. it's not only white officers who abuse their authority. you have black offices, asian officers. it is consistently in black and brown communities across this country. i was with this officer and we got a call, and it was a call for an officer in need of aid. an officer in need of a call for anyone in law enforcement in the room or anybody who knows of law enforcement officer, an officer in need of aid call is a very serious call. it means all officers in the geographical range of this call, stop whatever you are doing and
10:26 pm
expedite to the officers location. he or she is in trouble, serious trouble, could be. so this officer put out an eight call. he was in a foot pursuit, chasing a suspect in an armed robbery. he was running, giving out his coordinates. we expedite to his location and get their first and we see the officer who put the aid call out , but we don't see the suspected we see the officer bent over like this, winded, breathing hard, we get out of the car, and the female officer asked him, what happened? are you ok? yeah, i'm ok. i'm all right. he is breathing hard. where did he go? did you see where the guy went? go?e did whe we were on a street on the black side of st. louis, missouri. there is this long block of
10:27 pm
houses, long block, and he is bent over like this, and she asking where he went. he did like this. i think he went in that house. he picked the house. at random. we go up to the house, me and the female officer. we get to the dorky and she is banging on the door. she had a mag light, flashlight, hitting the door as hard as she could. open the store. -- this door. i'm not going to use the language. here. coming in we know somebody is in here. we are coming in here to bring you out. from the back of the house, with the ruckus we have created, we see a shape begin to approach the door, wooden door, glass in the center, and it is moving about the speed right here,
10:28 pm
slowly getting to the door. .he door opens, cracked standing in the door is a kid about 19 years old, african american, and i am standing here with this female officer. , butat a shape right now at that time, i was working out every day. to 65-270, single-digit body fat. sleeve shirtort that was a size medium. [laughter] >> it was small on purpose so that i could look like i was busting out of it. [laughter] looksopens the door and and he says, lady, i don't know what you are talking about. i live here. i have lived here all my life. everybody on this blog knows our family. they know me.
10:29 pm
i am here by myself right now could my family is not here, but you have the wrong house. i guess that was the wrong answer. because as soon as he got those words out of his mouth, she grabbed him by his throat and snatch them out of the doorway and took him to the porch. porches st. louis, the sit up real high. it, youo to the edge of will fall maybe 10 feet. she had him by his throat over the edge of the porch. she cracked him right in the face. i'm looking at this and if so ie hit you like that, and always say that if somebody hit you like that, you're going to things.r two you're going to flip your hands and tried to block something else coming at you or you may
10:30 pm
offer up some discouragement for that kind of behavior. he threw his hands up. i don't know if she thought he was trying to engage or what, but she hit him again, to the face, to the groin. she is holding him, man. it's happening fast. so i see this, and at this -- i go over and grab the uniformed officer in my thisrm and take him off of guy out to the porch, lead her over there. telling you, it was an call.er in need of aid every officer expedited to this location. hey had canceled the aid call and slowed them down some and slowed them down completely. if you do police work, you want to see what the aid call was anyway. to rescue e anyway the officers. up the steps to the porch all
10:31 pm
black officers, black male officers. he comes up the steps and other officers gather on the front of house. and he looks at me, looks at the veteran officer i had in the corner. he goes over to her, what's on? what's happened? what's going on here? she points at the guy who's laying where she left him on the ledge of the porch. s-o-b, so and so, he assaulted me and tried to interfere with what i was trying do. the black officer said, oh, yeah? he goes over to the guy and man, get up. at him and said, man, you see i can't get up. man, get fficer says, up.fill-in-the-blank he said, man, i told you i can't get up. grabbed him, and slammed him into the house, the face against the house, and hands behind his back, and he cuffed him up. and he cuffed him and the kid is
10:32 pm
leaning against the house. and he said, now get down, get car, because i'm taking you in for assault on an officer interfering for an arrest. was leaning on the house looking at him. and he said, forget the never look in his eyes -- with a mix hurt, surprise, fear, all of that, because he was looking at this brother in front thinking, why are you doing this to me in and he said it one last time. he said, man, you see, i can't go. officer said, i know. thisopped down and grabbed kid by his ankles, voom, pulled him up like that. you got your hands bound behind your back and can't move and you by your s ankles and pulls up as hard as they can towards the ceiling, happens? u think you hit your head pretty hard, don't you? did.e
10:33 pm
and he drug him down that porch, threwo the front yard and him in the car, and we got back in the station and we're all in the sergeant's room and we all into it. first, the female officer says, something, if u you ever interfere with me again while i'm doing police ork -- that's how she characterized what she had done police work." i'll never ride with you again. i'm thinking that's already a pretty damn good idea. with that. the other officer, me and him go a little bit, the sergeant goes on, squashes the whole thing. to do. work we don't have time for this. puts us all back in service. and we all went back in service, that was that. what always bothered me about encounter, what always has stayed with me to this very day, was the reason the kid kept seeing the officer that you
10:34 pm
that i can't go. you see i can't go. the reason he was saying that when he first came to the door and saw me and the standing there and he cracked that door open, he crutches.ng there on smashed him off his crutches to o that to him, and nobody was in the house, and it was his home. and he was in violation of no law. no law. set one more for you to the foundation, and then we'll talk. collins. 21, 22 at the , time. 2006. to s to us, it was brought
10:35 pm
our attention -- this was when i aclu, about an assault in st. louis at a traffic stop, one of those where oint situations, they set up a check point and every car that comes through has at the check e's point one night. he stops, but the officer is at a distance, and he can't at some point what the officer is directing him to do or what he wants him to do. out of his car to find out more about what he he has do, because somewhere to be. he has somewhere to be. he gets out of the car. the officer gets out of the the ing-blank car, because officer has somewhere he needs to be, he approaches the officer nyway and attempts to explain that what it is he needs to do so he can move to the check
10:36 pm
point. instead of offering him an explanation for his simple act these ompliance, which days can get you killed, the to assault him physically. him.ces chokes him up with that mace, they're ing, and getting ready to arrest him for assault on an officer again, for resisting arrest. anytime police beat you up, they resisting with arrest. i don't know if you know that or not. anthony pleads his case. at some point, one of the supervising officers arrives and is made to finally let anthony get medical which they initially denied to him, and to release him. largely due to the fact that at some point, they assault that the the officer committed on anthony his aused him to miss
10:37 pm
flight back to iraq for his of duty.ur army.e united states i interviewed anthony at length. nd to hear anthony, this black kid, this soldier, describe to how he felt that he had no rights here in the united states states, that anyone were bound he had always w felt this way, because the police had always treated him family this his ay, including his mother, was disappointing, to say the least. experiences, a part of the daily lived reality f black people everywhere in this country, particularly in , needban cores of america
10:38 pm
understand, when you see black lives matter, this is they're talking about. it's not the only thing they're talking about, but they're talking about the real lived of people and they are tired, we are tired. over.s generations fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, experience going back knows when, and there's been zero accountability for any of it. we use as police officers, always can fall back on that sacrifice,f heroism, risk. ome of the favorite words of many of the most public police apologists that you see all the media, the main stream people like harry hoke, former detective, the apologists.f police people will justify anything that the police will do on the street.
10:39 pm
know, this is where we are. equal treatment under the law in merica, not the american reality, and we're going to have to dig deep within ourselves. nd i'll tell you this, to make the discussion more comfortable, let me say this -- and not just this room, but nationally for the nation -- here's how to make this racial discussion. and we talk about black and white, but we have other races too.his country black and white though. here's how to make that conversation more comfortable. and stand this, accept it, we can go forward. and the problems i'm talking i ut here tonight and that talk about in all the places that i discuss them, when it racism and e and institutional racism and our one in this it, no is under tonight indictme indictment, white people in the
10:40 pm
room, under indictment for any of this. why? didn't create the conditions. we were all born into this reality. it was like this when we got here. this is what we were born into, man. you didn't do this. me, it was like this when you showed up. alive now. our responsibility is to that ledge fully what reality is, not the narrative. the reality of our history is has us now, and it, do something about collectively together. that's our role. that's what will allow us to have this discussion. and as i prepare to close, because i was told i only had 30 getting and i know i'm there, there are things that we to change the dynamic between police and communities serve, the
10:41 pm
police-community relationship it, was theakdown in genesis of the movement that we expanded course it has now to include discussions of race and its impact on all our talk about ther you education, employment, , but care, you name it relative to police and community -- the first and piece that we have to address is accountability. accountability. there's already plenty of good training. i heard people talking about this training and that training. training already that officers receive, but it's worthless if you don't have adhere to the policy and aren't held accountable when they don't. garner, murdered while officers violated their own and ies to take his life nobody is held accountable. pat with his chin
10:42 pm
up and his chest out, looking doofus. accountability is everything, and it starts inside the system. i would like ngs o see inside doj, is justice reform and accountability, which is a diversion group of current and former officers from coast-to-coast, l.a. to new york, one of the things i would like to see us become involved is building a movement within the criminal justice itself peoplelly, starting with who come from affected black and brown communities, who work in the criminal justice system: judges, attorneys, police officers, corrections officers. whoever you are and wherever you are in that system, we can within that lves system and demand and enforce the changes we want to see relative to how it operates in communities and its function in our community. it's are enough of us, and right. we have the moral high ground here, man.
10:43 pm
things that i he would like to see. i think wouldthat go a long way toward resolving some of the issues we've seen is prosecutor, that all cases involving new supports by a police officer resulting in or death.jury the relationship between prosecutors and police close to s are too have a reasonable expectation that the prosecutor is going after any officer on that in rtment that they work alliance with almost 100% of the time. mccullo mccullough is a prime example of that. recently sued in the last month or two by a grand jury that he illegally removed from he grand jury because thought he had a propensity to look at things differently. aclu attorney. i think i know who he is. they haven't announced his name publicly. i think he's john doe. i'm pretty sure i know who he is.
10:44 pm
grand jury in he violation of state law. do you think they don't shape outcomes? do you think they don't decide who gives justice and who doesn't? to my next point. n cases involving police misconduct, the use of police cases of injury or death, eliminate the grand jury. eliminate the grand jury. secretive process that in too many cases involving police misconduct result in the accountability for police officers, because the prosecutor has advocated for the of the grand nt jury, so they didn't want to have to be tried on the facts. that or have the arguments for indictment take place where the public can be present. the last thing i would tell you is to support the movement that you see. this is an american movement. "black lives d of
10:45 pm
matter." these are young people who are american citizens just like you, they want their rights recognized, and their right to dignity their right to recognized. not negotiable with them. really up for discussion. they are citizens here, too, and the fully understand history. as i close my remarks, i'm, first of all, amazed i was able to get through. i was out on my feet when i walked into this room. they ran me ragged today, i'm you.ing i had no idea what i was in for when i got up at 4:30 this delaware, but to i'm glad i came, and i giving me your time and valuing what you thought i might have to say here tonight, and i look forward to engaging you. said, you ink -- she
10:46 pm
know, the questions need to be respectful, and they do, but nothing is off limits. or you canllenge me, ask me, or you can say because i believe in free and open that's the waynk forward, and thank you for your tonight. with me thank you. [applause] was that too long? >> no. thank you so much for being here. know, you're the final speaker in in this series we've racell semester long about in america. we've talked about the black lives matter movement. we've talked about the civil rights movement. so you're here kind of in this unique role as having served as and now kind of speaking out against the uncivil saw.s that you what -- as the cofounder of the national coalition of law
10:47 pm
reform ent for justice and accountability, a long name you're accounted for, how did you go from being a police officer to seeking to hold those same officers accountable? r. hudson: it wasn't a huge transition. when i came to the department, i came with the same ideology, the personal philosophy, the same disposition. everything about me was the same when i joined the department. ultimately, that's what led to me to leaving that work, who i am.am disillusioned ly though, more than before i police officer. i became profoundly disillusioned with the justice and m in the united states the conduct of some of my colleagues in particular, and i knew i had to stop being part of that system now. be clear about this, because i realize i haven't said this tonight and i think it's do.rtant that i there are good police officers. there are good police officers.
10:48 pm
a re are good people doing very difficult job under difficult circumstances who have to make very difficult decisions our imes, and they deserve support. because it is a tough job. my contention is that the number f officers that will willfully abuse their authority and your human rights and your civil big a number to ot have a systemic policy response in place to deal with those people. in there are good officers the country. to uncer: we invite you watch each of the issues on the police in the spot light and police and race relations, on in our video library c-span.org. on saturday, c-span issues deals, t looks at trade their impact on the economy, jobs, and the presidential
10:49 pm
election. we will defend it by saying no to trade deals like the transpacific partnership... donald trump: when the state of pennsylvania have lost 1/3 of the manufacturing jobs since the wto.ons put china into the announcer: the program looks at free-trade 1994 agreement between the united states, mexico and canada. weld us together for more jobs, more people, for experts, for our markets, and more democracy for our allies. how ncer: a discussion on the founding fathers viewed free trade. historically, at, the united states simply was not a free-trade nation. or the most of american history, the u.s. is, in fact, a tariff-protected economy. to our very k constitution. announcer: and an in-depth examination of the world trade
10:50 pm
organization, the body that enforces global trade rules. >> at the time the wto was being negotiated or its evil smaller sister, nast athe north american free-trade agreement, 800 more pages of specific rules and nothing inevitable here, my book could be very different, when these two were negotiated, the u.s. had 500 s official advisors, corporate advisors. announcer: which our issue spotlight on trade deals 13, at 8:00 gust p.m. eastern on c-span and c-span.org. captions copyright national cable satellite corp. 2016] national captioning institute, which is responsible for its caption content and accuracy. visit ncicap.org]. green ews makers, presidential party jill stein talks about the presidential race. officially received the nomination at the green party convention held in houston. newsmakers sunday at 10:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. eastern on c-span. nnouncer: now, two former cia
10:51 pm
directors and the former editors of the new york times and washington post talk about the know versus t to the responsibility to protect lassified information for national security. this was part of a conference at the george w. bush presidential people, ooking at the the presidency, and the press. it's about an hour and 10 minutes. >> our next panel is the right to know versus the responsibility to protect. to tell the difference. jr., is the ey, journalism. he was executive editor of the washington post from 1991 to 2008. during his 17 years as executive post, of the washington the paper won 25 pulitzer prizes. michael

18 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on